Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: What's up, buddies, Kate Tom about those low goals forever? Happy President's Day and again, hope you had a nice weekend. Cobra Kai Sakai ta kai sort of weekend.
Speaker 3: I bet news.
Speaker 4: On President's Day, Stephen A. Smith said he's not going to run for president twenty twenty eight last for so fact of the matter, I'm not running for I.
Speaker 5: Will not be running for president announcement. He's not gonna be forty eight Manny poof, Poof.
Speaker 6: We saw him on media row in New Orleans during Super Week and you guys shouted him out, Hey, the next president, and he he laughed. Yeah, he waved to you with his long arsenio hall fingers. He looks so cool on the top hat. He looks so cool with the George Washington wig.
Speaker 2: This hour's brought to you by tire rack dot Com, the official tire expert and retailer of The Dan Patrick Show. Go to tyrack dot com slash Dan, try the tire Decision Guide and see the full line of bridge Stone tires. Special offers free road hazard protection and mobile tire installation. Tire Rack dot Com The Way Tire Buying should be again live from Mercedes Benz Studios. I'm Steve Covino, c O, V I n O. Very good, so follow our podcast. COVID probably comes up first, but we don't want to talk about that. Covino and Rich follow our podcast. We appreciate it. And this is day one of three the Dan Patrick Hatrick and we're filling in for Colin on the Herd on Friday, but we're on two to four on the West normally Monday through Friday. Busy week. We'll be in Philly on Thursday. That should be fun. I'm excited about that. So he's gotta still be buzzing. I gotta I gotta ask.
Speaker 4: Because you know, the NBA All Star Weekend overshadowed by as you said, Cobra Kai SNL fifty, you know, Hockey US Canada, three fights in the first like ten seconds. There were so many things that said overshadowed NBA All Star Weekend. One thing, I didn't hear your match, which means you haven't started yet.
Speaker 2: I saw Andre Agasson and Steffie Grant want a pickleball tournament, say that was pretty cool.
Speaker 4: All these things overshadowing SNL's fifty all the highlights you're seeing. But there's a new White Lotus season, and I know we love the first two seasons.
Speaker 3: I gotta ask.
Speaker 4: They're saying Arnold's kid, Patrick Swarzenegger's in it, and he goes full frontal For the right price?
Speaker 3: Would you for the right price?
Speaker 4: Would you let it all literally hang out on streaming services?
Speaker 2: Are you asking me the collective view? Do you know me for twenty something years? You think I would actually do that for the right price? Danny j for the right price for my family? No thanks? Oh, he says, you're embarrassed. It's not about being embarrassed. It's like, you know, hey, I just don't feel like doing that.
Speaker 7: You'd rather the search come up as COVID.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's the I would just blame it on AI anyway. That was it me AI AI, That was a special effects.
Speaker 4: I just always think that's a very, very interesting choice because there's very there's so many unnecessary times that you see like man junk on shows, you gotta think the dude agreed to it, like and you can say the same about women.
Speaker 2: But I'm prosthetic because that's usually the first Google search. Is it prosthetic? Yeah, I'm asking you. I didn't have it on pause all night.
Speaker 4: Like you if you watched. Just just know that that's a choice people make. Thanks for the junk warning, though, I don't think the world needs more of that. I don't think it's needed in the storylines. I don't need just the way that reporter didn't need it from Brent Farv and girls on the internet didn't need it from Rich back when he was dating. Yeah, seriously, you know fun fact never sent one obvious, never even not even to my wife. I just always thought it was like a weird move. I was like, you know what, am I gonna put a top hat on it? Like it's President's ac Yeah, yeah, dress him up. Look at the time, time to transition.
Speaker 3: Whoa, whoa.
Speaker 4: I did want to speak about President's Day for a second, Cavino, sure, because I mentioned.
Speaker 3: Earlier I would not be president.
Speaker 4: President Taft, there's the high school out here, taff high School.
Speaker 7: You do not want to make a president out of me.
Speaker 4: President Taft not only got suck at a bathtub, which is like the worst rumor you could have it about yourself if you were one of the forty five Leaders of the Free World. Oh yeah, the fact I either got suck at a bathtub.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Taft also the first president to throw out a first pitch at a baseball game.
Speaker 3: To tie it back into Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: In nineteen ten, Washington Senators President Taft throughout a first pitch, and it set of ties into my weekend as well, because I'm starting to coach baseball for my son now right, And when you see the other dads that are helping out, it's a really simple question, is throwing a baseball? Because we've all seen presidents do it. Always impressed with George W. Bush after nine to eleven. I saw the Queen of England do it. She had a like a mean like screwball or something. One of my favorite seams in Naked Gun. Oh you mean the real Queen George W. Bush with the bulletproof vest on throwing a strike after nine to eleven. Donald Trump's got a good arm, Obama's a lefty. Impressive, Jimmy Carter. The list goes on and on of presidents that I look at the way they throw, and I'm not I'm not trying to sound chovnes.
Speaker 2: I picture honest, abe I picture Abe Lincoln up there, like the big unit, like Randad Johnson, tall and lanky, probably had a heater.
Speaker 4: You picture a blanket with a big unit. No, oh, sure he liked the big out like Randy Johnson. So I gotta ask. It's throwing a baseball the number one easiest way to size up another grown man and decide, I know how you were raised.
Speaker 2: If I see a guy, I mean, you can bring it back to that full frontal question you had earlier if you want. That's an easy way to size people up. That's true, But your wallet is another one.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying I feel like when I see other grown men. Danny at the Super Bowl, we had a football on set. Every so often someone would come by.
Speaker 3: You'd be like, hey, what's up you?
Speaker 4: It was like, you know, when you have a football or any ball of that matter laying around, some idiot guy's gonna grab it and start having a catch, right, But when you see another grown man throw a ball or is in your mind is it taking a jump shot?
Speaker 2: It's throwing a baseball of a ball, not a football, just a ball, not ball could also apply. But not everyone is king spiral like me? Are not everyone you know, could throw a football with great accuracy, like this guy.
Speaker 6: Cove Oar Afternoon Slash Evening video producer Spotty Boy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he had the ball at one point.
Speaker 6: I tossed it to him and he pushed the ball like a discus.
Speaker 3: Yeah he pushes.
Speaker 2: No, but the way you would throw with your opposite hands right that I'm a righty, So picture me throwing lefty like you know what our video guy spot.
Speaker 7: And he's very talented at other things.
Speaker 2: No, it's a great indicator of your childhood, but it's not an indicator of like the type of man.
Speaker 4: You are or are you a good But it is an indicator.
Speaker 2: It's an indicator on how you grew up for sure, and did you play sports or not.
Speaker 4: It is an an indicator of the type of man you are because it could be a great man but not be able to throw baseball. I'm not saying that type of man is a good thing. I'm just saying you could indicate. It could indicate what type of man you are.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily because I see a lot of professional athletes that can't throw a baseball and I'm baffled.
Speaker 4: But what I'm saying, if you see like our buddy spot. If he were to throw you a ball by by him just tossing you a handball, football, baseball, anything, your first instinct would be like, oh, you didn't play sports as a kid. Is if you toss someone a baby, how many?
Speaker 2: If there was an NBA stars or professional athletes get on the get on the mound, then embarrass themselves.
Speaker 3: I saw Kevin Durant throw out a pitch that at a Giants game.
Speaker 2: It's not it's not one hundred percent fool proof and accurate because guess what, last I checked, Durant has more NBA points than you ever scored.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's not a it's not a one hundred percent, but it is a great assessment, like you can tell a lot about that person.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying it makes you a better man. But what I'm saying is if you're across the room from someone and there is a if let's say you're across the room or in the yard at a barbecue or cookout, if there's a ball next to another girl man and you go, heye, throw that over here him picking it up and throwing it to you, I think within five seconds I could tell you about your childhood.
Speaker 2: It's not even about how they throw sometimes it's about how they catch it too, if they snap at it, stab at it like, stab at it like Tom Cruise does, and he, you know, he's pretty good. Like these things bother me in movies too, because you could see, like like what actors are never put a sport in their life like a mum. As much as I love him, Mark Paul Gossler, Zach Morris say by the bell. He was in that Fox TV show Pitch, and we talked about it. He was trained at everything he was. I'm just not a he's not a baseball guy.
Speaker 3: He could tell. The famous story would be Charlie Sheen. He was throwing high.
Speaker 2: Eighties in Major League and you could see he had some decent mechanics for back then. But is it a great indicator? Yes, because and do you make an assessment that's not necessarily accurate? Yes, because I often think back to President George Bush on President's Day on nine to eleven, when Jeter famously said, you know, don't bounce it, and.
Speaker 3: Perfect strike from the mound.
Speaker 2: He threw it from the mound, didn't bounce it, perfect strike on a really high pressure situation when the world was watching. And you know what, and I you know, there was a part of me. Remember he had a really sketchy reputation back then, right as as a buffoon of sorts. Yeah, and you gained like an ultimate or a different sort of respect when he saw that.
Speaker 3: And by the way, right, and that's what you kind of give someone. You give him a little nod of acknowledgement, like a guy could throw.
Speaker 2: He had a pretty pretty normal challenged And the reality is, whether you love him or hate him, Donald Trump has a good arm.
Speaker 3: He does. I can tell you and catch on the White House long.
Speaker 4: When you when you see Trump throw Mo ri Vera, right, when you see Trump throw baseball, football or anything, You're like, all right, think the guy grew up playing sports. And I think again, it doesn't make you a better guy. No, you could tell a lot about it. I'm just saying on President's Day, when you think back to Bush or Obama or Trump or you know, like I said, Taft was the first president to ever.
Speaker 3: I like, is it something else?
Speaker 7: Though?
Speaker 2: Is something? Does something Trump? Pun intended? Does something Trump the throwing of a ball?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 2: Could it be a shot someone should like I saw over the weekend, I saw Skip Bayless hitting three point shots. Yeah, he's acknowledging his form because he was sinking every shot.
Speaker 3: But its formal.
Speaker 2: But I didn't like it's form. But is there something else though? That is a great indicator of their skill level? This is this is a question.
Speaker 4: Let me let me of their men, let me package, let me package and phrase this question on President's Day.
Speaker 7: Yes, when we.
Speaker 4: Think back to how oddly good most presidents are throwing at a first pitch and shows, how is this taft pitch that you mentioned the first one ever? Yeah, I don't know if it's recorded, that'd be the longest time ago.
Speaker 3: There was a video of its over the weekend, Rich.
Speaker 2: I saw a video on TikTok and they were talking about, you know, the Kendrick Lamar performance at halftime and whether you liked it or not. They're like, you realize how far we've come? Do you know what the first halftime performance was? It wasn't a musical act. And I'm waiting to see him, like what was it? He's like, it wasn't a music line, Like was it a magician or something?
Speaker 4: Was that woman that balances plates at the NBA game?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, was it like.
Speaker 2: Some sort of gymnast, like you know, a guy on a unicy called march marching band.
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 5: He was like two bozos on jet packs, like.
Speaker 2: Like from Kenny Powers, but they were in water. They were like you have suspended in the air. Two guys like demonstrating an airpack, like flying in the air. I was like, man, that's weird. So I wonder what this presidential first pitch looked like?
Speaker 3: Is my point? Did taf throw a perfect strike a screwball? We'll never know.
Speaker 4: But what we do know is if you had to, if you had to tell someone about their childhood, my answer is I could tell you everything about your childhood. You know, other other than maybe like your relationship with your parents, but I could tell you how you were as a kid based on how you throw a ball.
Speaker 2: Back to me, I agree with this assessment when Rich and I agree, it's fact. But that's why it baffles me when I see a professional athlete and he can't throw a ball, like how one dimensional were you as an athlete? That's always and maybe that's the reason for their greatness in their in their sport. And this is not because you see guys in the NFL and the NBA. You see fighters they can't throw a baseball sometimes and you're like, wow, you were really committed to your foul shops and it doesn't mean you're you're better or worse Again. I wish I could play the guitar, but I don't got those skills.
Speaker 3: I never learned. But I see when I you know, you can see a guy find.
Speaker 2: Of a baseball is pretty basic though, because you would when you attribute this to like Caveman days of throwing a rock, like you didn't you didn't figure out the I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You're saying my daughter is seven and a half of my son is five, just based on what they know up to this point in t ball or softball. When they get older, already at this age, I think they'll mechanically not look weird. So it just means if you throw a ball to me like h, I'm like, yo, never one time did you play in your neighborhood?
Speaker 3: What are you saying there that maybe like daddy wasn't there.
Speaker 4: Daddy wasn't there to take me to the fair?
Speaker 3: Want to have a catch?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the assessment that they just didn't they didn't Rough House on the streets and play with football. That's what you're really assessing, Like you didn't play little league.
Speaker 7: They didn't.
Speaker 3: They they're really not. You're not getting.
Speaker 2: A great understanding of who they really are, but you have an understanding of where they were or who they are.
Speaker 3: But he sure.
Speaker 4: Just note that when you see these, when you see celebrities or politicians throw out a first pitch, or like Cavino said, if you're watching a movie, you could tell what actors played sports, and you could tell what actors were so involved.
Speaker 3: In the arts.
Speaker 4: They're like, yeah, this guy's in a sports movie.
Speaker 3: I get this.
Speaker 4: He's never thrown a football, he's never shot at basketball. You ever see someone that's never played basketball shoot a basketball and they use both hands and they sort of like push it like muha, like that that you did? Your dad never shoot hoops with you? Did?
Speaker 3: Your mom never take you into the park?
Speaker 4: Like yeah, oh yeah, yeah for real? So your thoughts at eight, seven, seven, nine to nine on Fox, just on President's Day, just to remind her that it was taft. If you want a little trivia, if you want to be a smarty pants at your office, Taft the first president to throw out a first.
Speaker 2: Remember when Carlton took that long shot on the court in Fresh Prints?
Speaker 4: Exactly? They always say the worst, the worst sports. I'll never know the movie, but it was a basketball ending of a movie where a girl travels and holds the ball for like a minute and there's like eight seconds left on the clock.
Speaker 3: I know that clips movie viral all over the place.
Speaker 4: All right, well, hey, let's you know what, let's take one phone call on this now, we'll take the rest when we come back. Let's go to fish in PA. Fish throw throwing a baseball?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 4: Is that the ultimate like ability to describe how a guy probably grew up?
Speaker 10: Probably fifty I'm fifty seven. It's probably a generation link now because back in my day, I mean, I would say ninety percent of the kids played baseball.
Speaker 11: Yeah, now it's different.
Speaker 10: Even my daughters who's twenty five and twenty two. At seven years old, I had to go back and try to figure out how to teach them how to throw and catch. And some could catch but a lot, or some could throw but a lot could not catch. So I think I think that's a lot to do.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: A lot of kids nowadays, you know, they choose soccer, So it might what he's saying is is true.
Speaker 3: It might change or it might have changed over time. But I still think.
Speaker 4: That that's that's one of those things. Well, you were just saying, right your your daughter has like her first boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a runner, so I imagine he probably doesn't throw very well.
Speaker 3: It's the bother your daughters are a boy that can't even throw a bit. I don't know. I have yet to have a catcher. It might have to.
Speaker 4: All right, you know, we'll take your feedback on this ridiculous thought. Next right here, and we're gonna give away a Covino and Rich stainless steel Swiggy. We're gonna do a little trivia shack Diesel trivia. As we're into the NBA season. You know now that All Star weekends behind us, Is this when we really start paying attention? Is this when we try to really invest more energy, which is why the enforced weekend is so poor? Yeah, and it was a little lackluster. All right, eight seven, seven, nine to nine on Fox. Will play that and take all your feedback. Next right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 4: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 4: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 4: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 3: So check us out.
Speaker 4: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, shop it up. As they say, i'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeart Radio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino on rich wherever you get your podcast and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Covino and rich.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: I saw Shack and the way he looks big and tired. They get ready tired, getting ready for Shack Diesel Trivia. Again, We're Covino and rich No bad case of the Mondays in for Dan Patrick, day one of the Dan Patrick hat trick, and again on Friday, in for Colin on the Hurt. So busy week for us, but we're on Monday through Friday, five to seven on the East right here on Fox Sports Radio Search Covino and rich We appreciate it. We're live in Mercedes Benz Studios. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC at Maco. We bring your car back to life with affordable paint jobs and light collision repairs.
Speaker 3: Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Miko.
Speaker 4: Let's take a few more phone calls on this first pitch. Not necessarily about first pitch? Is today's President's day? Taft first president to throw out a first pitch? And I said, it's very easy to assess another grown man, another grown man.
Speaker 3: Okay, but how he throws a ball?
Speaker 2: How about this it's not an accurate assessment because plenty of pro athletes get out there and he embarrassed themselves.
Speaker 3: Right, but you do make a judgment. I think that's safe to say.
Speaker 4: It might be the judgest I yet, right, right, it might not be accurate, but you're judging. For instance, for sure, Mike, who runs this place? What's up, Mike?
Speaker 9: Party people in the house.
Speaker 7: Mike.
Speaker 4: The first time you came in the studio when we first met you a couple of years ago, and you threw me the football that was sitting in here, my instinct was, oh, Mike played sports as a kid, Right, you could assess another grown man by how he throws the ball.
Speaker 3: I went to you, guys one hundred percent.
Speaker 9: In fact, you know, Steve likes to call himself the King Spiral over there.
Speaker 3: I mean, in all fairness, people call me that.
Speaker 9: So here's the deal. When when I first heard that, I'm like, you guys are ridiculous. There's no way. So we throw the football around a little bit, and you know what, King Spiral, bro Marino Spiral sex to me. Hey, I was a gym class hero. I could throw football for sure. I mean because I played in the streets as a kid growing up. Let's uh, let's go to Sean and York, Pa, what's up?
Speaker 3: Sean? Coming on wretching for DP.
Speaker 12: I'm good. I agree with that one hundred percent. Actually, I say it goes a lot sooner than that, because, like, I'm a coach for my kids, and that was my biggest thing was giving kids high five. You can walk up to a kid and you put your hand out giving high five, and you smack your hand like you know hard. You're like, Oh, I want you on my baseball team.
Speaker 3: That's you. You are so right.
Speaker 4: There are times I'm starting to coach a little kids.
Speaker 3: Some buddy, some kids like what a lot? Like a high five?
Speaker 1: Little guy? What is your dad?
Speaker 3: And not teach you at a high five?
Speaker 4: Bringing in pal. Uh, Let's say hi to Jerry and Tampa. Jerry, what's up buddy?
Speaker 13: Hey, how you guys know what today?
Speaker 3: Jerry?
Speaker 4: Do you agree that you could assess someone by how they throw a ball?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I believe so because I've had you know, I grew up playing baseball and every when I was little, and you could pretty much tell Yeah, some of the guys that were hanging out playing music and the guys that were playing the ball, So yeah, I could tell you.
Speaker 4: Jerry, Jerry, it's the guy doesn't need to be piled on because he's had a rough enough month after the Super Bowl halftime show. But Drake, he wasn't that video where Drake's like I played ball as a kid, Yes, I have, and and then he like swings a bat and throws a ball and You're like, no, Drake, you did not play balls?
Speaker 7: Who did not? You did?
Speaker 4: Team Ketchri Gole mar now uh, Jerome and South Carolina?
Speaker 7: What's up? Man?
Speaker 3: What's up? Drum?
Speaker 7: Hold on?
Speaker 3: Danny's on the phones?
Speaker 12: Man?
Speaker 3: I hope Jerome's okay?
Speaker 7: Phones?
Speaker 4: Draw hot?
Speaker 3: What's up? Drum? Where do you go?
Speaker 14: The young generation had just a budget orton you anymore? Let them go play soccer. They didn't even want to play football anymore. And Shock looked dumb in their half too. He looks quality club his way to look so dumb and sound dumb. He wanted to give this Carter one two hundred Grandpa from recreator dump. Come on, man, I don't want to see anymore dumps. Learn how to play basketball? How to shoot a basketball?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Jove?
Speaker 3: Jim in La. What's up.
Speaker 8: Jim Yo, yo yo.
Speaker 11: You gotta hear me.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, you're on what's up?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 13: Okay, I got it?
Speaker 11: You guys ready, yes, sir, this is out. I grew up South La Long Beach, Laquid Area, a little great town. They had a great parks and rec program. And when we played sports. Guess what they did, fellas what's that?
Speaker 12: You got it?
Speaker 11: You're right on the topic. So that sports you would play, you would get on a team, and you would last all three sports through the year. So you can start with baseball, go to flag football, and go to basketball, all on the same team. And the one metric they used, they gave you a baseball. You were at the white line and you threw it for distance. The first frank got through the farthest. The coaches gathered a week later and they drafted the kids based on how far they threw the baseball.
Speaker 4: It's it's basic. And we will wrap it with Alex in North Dakota. Then we'll play a little shack diesel trivia. Give you some prizes. Alex wrapped us up, man, Alex. Alex, Oh there he is, Hey, what's up? Buddy's worried about him?
Speaker 3: What's up, Budd.
Speaker 10: I totally agree with the you know, judging a man by how you can throw, but also if you go back to like Little League.
Speaker 14: When you're playing.
Speaker 12: He also judged the team by how they.
Speaker 14: Were warming up, how they were throwing.
Speaker 8: Were they throwing all over the place, and yeah, they're horrible.
Speaker 3: You know, it's so funny.
Speaker 4: And Covino and I didn't grow up together, Alex, but we have the same memory that I think every kid had, which was when you went to an opposing high school, the minute you got off the bus. When you watch the other team warm up, if their uniforms look cool, if they field is manicure picture, the picture was popping the glove on the side. You're like, oh, no intimidation factor, Yeah, doubt.
Speaker 2: When they would do their infield drill, you know, could the short stop play with sort of arms?
Speaker 3: Did they have?
Speaker 2: You make those assessments. You make those judgments. It's just how it is, whether it's right or wrong. Rich is right, all right, Well he props the taft he had. He clocked in at ninety seven. Back then they said that, yeah, yeah, ninety seven, mop prour heater.
Speaker 4: You know what it's time, let's give away some prizes with some Shack Diesel trivia.
Speaker 1: Whenever we say not to name drop, that means we're about to name drop.
Speaker 3: I'll drop. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Not only our CNR friends with Tyson and Mahomes Hey man, they're all so buddies with a big Aristota.
Speaker 5: What's up a big shock Diesel aka shackfu Okay, shot Daddy, Okay, the big Aristotle.
Speaker 3: Guess what's got our product?
Speaker 1: Time for some basketball trivia.
Speaker 7: Diesel basketball trivia? What he said, hosed to break brag boards now breaking records for episode.
Speaker 1: Radio Shack d soe so basketball trivia.
Speaker 6: All right at FSR security, walking broke Shack into the main studio.
Speaker 5: Good morning fellas, Good morning fellas. You guys got a triple lab. He talking about throwing. I canna throw a baseball, I throw you throw a wall though team to throw you. I could throw you across the room.
Speaker 7: That great job over the All Star weekend.
Speaker 5: Judging people based on how they throw. I judge you on your wallet, saize how much you make? I mean fifteen million a year? Now it's empty fifteen million years inside the NBA? What are you making? Judging people? Thank you, Shocking Shack, with his usual bravado this morning. Here are the rules for Shack Diesel Trivia.
Speaker 3: BI the way, No congratulations team Shack the o gez.
Speaker 6: Nah that four game for fourteen game to decide things with Wimpy.
Speaker 7: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 6: We won, all right, yeah, Whimpy scoring fourteen Chuck. The first contestant with two correct answers is the champion. If there's a tie, we have a tie breaker question. Your name is your buzzer, but you do have to wait until all three possible answers are read. If there's two wrong answers in a row, we move on to the next question. And Sean and Sacramento is playing for a Swiggy.
Speaker 3: Here's up sewn Hey Sean, Yo, my damn Patrick going on? There was he man? Good Morning's up?
Speaker 6: All right, Sean? You know how to play? And here we go with round one. Let's hear that bell here there we go it go, Shaq, It's time for you.
Speaker 3: Whe are we fighting?
Speaker 5: Who's going on? And by the way, who's this guy right here? It looks like that's big Big Swice.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Big Mike, by the way, is sitting in for Spotty Boy. There was a Big Mike big Mike who runs his spice. He's not that big. It's gonna be one of our contestants. Ten times win a Rich Davids over up and let's get this on.
Speaker 5: All right, Rowan, let the big Aristontal party start. Who's the first NBA game? The first NBA game was played between New York Knicks and the Toronto Huskies. And what year A nineteen forty six, b nineteen thirty seven or CEE nineteen twenty.
Speaker 1: Sean sewn Shawn nineteen?
Speaker 5: Yes, damn, Sean man far, he's quick on the Google's.
Speaker 3: Who they played that they played?
Speaker 4: The who?
Speaker 3: The Toronto the Huskies?
Speaker 7: Huskies? Yeah?
Speaker 6: All right, and Sean is halfway to a stain of steel water bottle as we go around round two, give us that boxing bell again.
Speaker 3: Round two.
Speaker 5: I'm a big part of bringing big diesel OC ratings back to the NBA. Which team isn't helping the cause though they have the worst record in the league right now? Is it a the Wizards be the Hornets? We'll see the Pelicans.
Speaker 7: Sean, Oh my goodnessmn Sean here quick? Yeah, Sean quick on the draw? What's your answer?
Speaker 14: I'm gonna thro at this man going for my third win the NBA Sisia Washington DC. The Wizards.
Speaker 5: You are correct, sir, they are nine and forty five are terrible.
Speaker 3: Hey, Big Mike, that was brutal. Good thing I was here.
Speaker 15: Yeah, Sean's a good player. Thanks to see you though. Yeah, congrats Sean so like he's like Mac McClung, he's a three time winner. I know is that it's we're done. I came all the way here for this. You had, Big Mike for no reason. Sean just killed.
Speaker 5: Her after All Star weekend and make me wake up to come here for two minutes.
Speaker 3: Two minutes. That's it. You're set, all right.
Speaker 5: I take a Covino, rich do it. You're doing a great job. And uh, I wish.
Speaker 3: You guys the best. So I'm out of broth.
Speaker 16: See Covino looking through the windows, ready to come back to do guys. All right, I got money to make had a shack bye guys man. Yeah, I mean I knew he was quick, he was good at the games and Sean. When Sean called, he's like, I don't have the new Midnight Black Sweegey.
Speaker 6: I want to play really bad. And I'm like, all right, we'll let you go. I know he was going to sweep you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's pretty damn good.
Speaker 4: Thank you Sean for playing uh Coveno and rich In for Dan Patrick.
Speaker 3: Now, and that was quick. Let me you know that that one's so quick.
Speaker 4: Let me throw a little something that extraly I wasn't going to bring up today, but this is more one of those what do you do? I have a almost a John Koni, you know, the big head of guy in ABC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what would you do? You're the big a guy on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: So, by the way, thanks to thanks again to Big Mic for stopping in and Sewan, congrats on the big win. Enjoy your swiggy. If anyone else wants a CNR on FSR stainless Swiggy just like our podcast. Even if you don't like it, search Covino and rich on Apple Podcasts. Leave a nice review and you qualify for a prize. But we're always playing games. We'll do more this week.
Speaker 4: And by the way, if you enjoy our style and you just like hanging in chopping it up like we do, if we're not on in your market, yeah, he goes. Dan Patrick's on in more places than any other radio show, So you don't like your style. You're wearing sweatpants and crocs. I'm not wearing crocs. By the way, what do you wear? I'm wearing Jordan's. We're in Jordan's sweat pant It's more. Do you think I'm gonna put on legitimate pants at six a m. Yeah, I'm comfy, dude. It's comfy, cozy. Who am I trying to impress?
Speaker 3: It is cold?
Speaker 4: Who is trying to impress? Big Mic or Danny or Mark? All right, so give me the what would you do? This is my what would you do? I feel like, uh, I feel like I'm clearly and definitely not alone. And it's that time of year where kids sports for the for the spring are starting up, right.
Speaker 3: My daughter's got.
Speaker 4: Her softball, my son starts t ball, and I get wrangled to being a coach, and I can jokingly complain about it, but I'll be honest, I do love it. I do love teaching these little kids the sport of baseball and softball.
Speaker 3: It brings me joy. I know a lot of people.
Speaker 4: You feel like a lot of people can feel that way about any whatever their sport is, soccer, basketball, flag football, tackle football. When you could pass your love of a sport onto the kids. It really is a good feeling. So while I jokingly complain about it, I love it. I don't love the fact that, you know, my new car, the car my wife and I got, has now become just storage for teas and catchers, equipment and bags.
Speaker 2: And you know, I mean, isn't that why you got that giant truck SUV whatever the hell and a big giant it's you know.
Speaker 3: We got that third row.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just so we could throw down the chairs and just have teas and equipment and bats and barrels and band It is what it is. You know what happens when you have two little nose pickus. You become sports parents. And I love it. Again, who doesn't love sports? We're here on Fox Sports Radio. I am the coach from my daughter's softball team and my son's te ball team. So far, Like I said, I love the joy of passing down.
Speaker 3: Whatever little knowledge I have.
Speaker 4: I feel like I know baseball pretty well and I feel like I'm like fun time coach. I bring out the bluetooth speaker, I bring them little treats. I try to be like until we get competitive, which my daughter is now becoming competitive, becaust it's eight years.
Speaker 2: You want them to feel good about the sport and you want them to have fun. You want to have them associate the sport with fun, now with negative few.
Speaker 4: I put the message out there that listen first and first mostly listen parents. I want your kids to have fun. This is sports. Sports are fun. Some of my best memories playing sports as a kid. Father's seven and four. So it's not like, yeah, you're that competitive. So I was like, And secondly, though, I do want to teach your kids some discipline, and I want them.
Speaker 3: To put the fun and fundamentals, and.
Speaker 4: I want them to learn the game but also learn how to win the right way and lose the right way, you know, trying to teach them all the right things.
Speaker 3: Here's my John kinones. What would you do? What do you do when your kid.
Speaker 4: Is the pain in the ass on your team and you're the coach, Cause you know, when you want to like like you're instide like good over here?
Speaker 2: You know what's embarrassing about that? The other kids will never forget that? Like I could still picture my coach's son crying because you know, he got hit by a pitch or he was the brat like I remember him saying, like.
Speaker 3: You sual you, We're gonna give me a Nintendo game.
Speaker 2: I for I got, you know, frying and kicking his feet at home plate like and this is, you know, years ago, and I still remember that.
Speaker 4: I remember the kids that crowd when they got hit hit by a pitch. I remember the kid that was a little beach. I remember all this stuff that's I'm saying, listen, that's when you were a little older. My son he turned five this past weekend.
Speaker 3: He's four.
Speaker 4: Don't forget those he literally just turned five two days ago.
Speaker 3: That said.
Speaker 4: One of the first things I did at the first baseball practice, all right, kids, we got ten little boys here. All right, we're gonna make two groups of five. We're gonna stretch out, and then we're gonna do a relay race. My son was the one kid that's like, I don't want to, and I'm like, all right, kids, get over here.
Speaker 3: I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Hey, Ben, listen, I'm not only your dad, but when we're here, I'm the coach, so you gotta listen. Nope, how do you react when your kid is the non listener and you're the coach Is it because you're his I can't stop down the practice and be like so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like would he do that for another coach? Or is just because you're his dad? Don't know?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, didn't being a coach?
Speaker 4: Am I distinct now that my kid's not going to get the discipline because he thinks he can get away with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like maybe your assistant coach is the guy that tells him, hey, Ben, you know, because he's not listening to you because you're his father, and he doesn't listen to you at home, so why would he listen now?
Speaker 4: And by the way, just just for the record of coaching the girls and boys, the.
Speaker 2: Way, does he wear pants to practice? Because every time I see Rich's son, kid's not wearing pants. I just his little under rus all the time.
Speaker 4: I do want to point this out with the little boys, you know, we we act like everyone's the same little boys and girls act different.
Speaker 3: I coach.
Speaker 4: You know, the girls are starting to become more competitive now, but these five year old little boys are maniacs.
Speaker 3: They are hard to wrangle.
Speaker 4: And all the parents gave me, every parent like pulled me side like hey, it's okay if you yelped kid and discipline him. He's a little maniac boy, So how do you discipline your own kid when you're coaching. We don't need to harp on it, but if you want to hit me up at rich Davis, I'm all ears.
Speaker 3: Because I wanted to.
Speaker 2: My suggestion is you have an assistant coach, right, Yeah, he has the guy to enforce like, hey, can I imagine has a level of respect for his teachers and other parents and adults that he doesn't for whatever reason for you And I get that that's just how kids are sometimes. So maybe it's the assistant shop to tell your kid, hey, hey, Benny boy, do a lap or whatever. And obviously the other kids are giving that respect to you, so you're covered though.
Speaker 4: What I wanted to do so badly, but I didn't give him a wedgie slap him out, yeah, give him a little by the way. I did want to do that, yeah, but I didn't.
Speaker 7: I know you.
Speaker 4: I wanted to decide to give him a little slapping that and the helmet and know what else I wanted to do. I went to Starbucks afterwards, and I want to be like, Ben, you want that cake, popp And I was I want to buy one and did it in front of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, I think that's a great idea, you know, Yeah, he doesn't get a gain Raider slurpee on the way home.
Speaker 4: Whatever you're doing, your thoughts, because I know a lot of dads and moms in that coaching world. We'll take your feedback, and of course we'll tell a little NBA, NFL and for the great Dan Patrick right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Thanks again to Mark Ramsey and Danny g. Danny g are super producer, Ramsey's on the ones and twos, and thank you Fox Sports Radio Nation for putting up with us as radio fans. We know you expected to hear Dan Patrick, but instead you're getting the Dan Patrick Patrick from Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Hopfull you like us, and by the way, as you play some Third Eyed Blinds, never let you go. I like this song, and I asked Cavino just the other day. Oddly enough, we're talking about athletes and ban and just notable people where you're not quite sure where others view them Like, I'm a big Third Eye Blind fan, and I'm like, Cavino, where.
Speaker 3: Do you rank? I got the perfect rank Third eye Blind.
Speaker 2: You gotta take the best and worst of that era in that genre, right, So they're not quite like if I'm gonna tell my daughter she's fifteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Third Eye Blind had a pretty good career.
Speaker 2: I saw him live at Rutgers with smash Mouth when I was in college.
Speaker 3: How big were they, Dad.
Speaker 2: Well, well they weren't match Box twenty, but they weren't Tonic either, right there in the middle like under Matchbox twenty. But that's how you would assess it.
Speaker 3: It's a good one.
Speaker 12: You like that?
Speaker 2: Hey, you like me now again, I'm Cavino. That is Rich Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. We're gonna be here for day two of the Dan Patrick Hatrick tomorrow, so join us.
Speaker 4: You know what it's like, there are bands that you could compare to borderline hall of famers, Like you know, there's some some bands much like a first ballot Hall of Famer, and then there's people like no way they're a Hall of Famer. But then I say, like like Carlos Beltron Carlos Peltron. Like Carlos, it's like third day blind great, But is he like right, he had had a.
Speaker 2: Real stellar career. He's not quite Ken Griffy junior. But he's not, give me like a mediocre outfielder.
Speaker 3: He's not. It wasn't Prett Gardner or anything.
Speaker 4: So you'd say sometimes that you gotta, uh gotta think where does this person sit?
Speaker 2: And Brett Gardner was really good, but he was a great player. Carlos Pelton, you know what, let's go to Greg and Florid. We'll take one call on this. He has some advice on uh.
Speaker 4: I was saying a lot of parents now are entering the coaching world because spring sports are starting, a lot of soccer, a lot of baseball, a lot of softball. And I said, of all the kids, my kid was the one that didn't listen at the first practice.
Speaker 3: Embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Well, it would be embarrassing if he wasn't four just turned five and it's T ball. But I was like, yo, buddy, you got to listen to dad.
Speaker 3: Because I'm the coach here. And no, yeah, that's kind of embarrassing. Greg.
Speaker 2: When all the other parents are they're watching, it's kind of feel a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of in the way.
Speaker 4: You also don't want to raise your voice because then you look like the other parents are like, oh yelling, who goes off to handle?
Speaker 3: And man, this guy's crazy. Greg and Florida, what's up?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I got your brother. Listen. I've been listening for a while and real quickly, I think Elvis and Michael Jackson, we're bigger than Michael Jordan's number two.
Speaker 14: With your kid.
Speaker 8: With your kid, here's what I would do. I would get something that he loves. I don't know, whatever it is, that's whatever coming bear, whatever heck you loves the most. All right, have that for the prize for the winner. Have him sit out and make him watch and how it's fun it is, and they get its favorite surprise to his favorite treat. They get these out of it. If he starts acting up again, make them watch it, make them have a good night. Probably want to come back.
Speaker 1: In, bro.
Speaker 4: I want to pull all these parenting tactics. And sometimes my wife is too soft about it. I'll be like, you know what, let's uh, let's get his sister or something.
Speaker 1: And not him.
Speaker 3: She's like, that's spiteful and mean. But I'm like, now I learned a lesson. Yeah, I agree with both both the caller and you.
Speaker 2: Like on the way home, he he doesn't get a cake pop and you explain why why because he didn't run and he didn't listen to you a practice and you're the coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's as simple as that.
Speaker 4: I told, I said, I this is this is as strict as I went. I said, if you do that again, no cake pop. And for the rest of the day, I want to take away your your Pokemon toys or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you gotta, you gotta somehow somehow. But so, coaching is a whole world, and it's sent its on and it's going to provide for lots more stories in the world of Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 3: We'll be telling more.
Speaker 2: We're actually gonna head over into our Patreon now, so check us there everything at Covino and Rich. And again, hope you had a nice weekend, nice Valentine's Day weekend, nice President's Day day off. And you know, props again to Mac mclung with his big win, his three time three pe champion. Hey, the Chiefs didn't get it, but Mac mclung did.
Speaker 3: That's a three p we were all hoping for right Maca McClung.
Speaker 2: Congrats to Jaron, that little kid who made that one hundred thousand dollars shot.
Speaker 3: He'd beat Damian Millard over.
Speaker 7: He was swimming in cash.
Speaker 2: The dude dove into a pile of cash, and I thought about it, rich, pretty dope fantasy to live out.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, shy, have a pile of but cheeks. Money's second best. We'll see you later there, baby, are you in the promise?
Speaker 9: Last