Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's just you. I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast one of Love Productions. iHeart Media, iHeart Radio. iHeart Podcast. Joining with my Intrepid crew Daniel Rome with Terror, Suzanne French, Jamie Sugarman. This is season seven, episode thirteen. I'd rather be in Philadelphia, my hometown, ladies. What did you think?
Speaker 3: Good episode?
Speaker 2: It's so good. It's not just season seven good, it's gilmore good. And I'm concerned about Suzanne's face.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't dislike it. I just thought it was kind of a nothing burger for me, Like it just really it didn't really move the story along, like you could pull that episode out and not even miss it, like it was fine. I just I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just said it was a callback to when Richard went to the hospital last time.
Speaker 3: I thought it was more agree Yeah with Amy, I disagree. I feel like it was more this.
Speaker 2: I thought Kelly Bishop was phenomenal.
Speaker 1: She was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Emily and Babet were highlights for me in this episode.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 4: Zukrie, oh on, I thought it was too perfect.
Speaker 3: But I feel like it was a moment that you needed him to be perfect and he delivered.
Speaker 2: Because it's just showing the juxtaposition with Christopher.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, yea, but.
Speaker 4: Luke showing us the juxtaposition with Christopher, Like we didn't correct both of them. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think we did.
Speaker 5: The fact that a kid that just graduated college made it a priority and a grown man. I thought it was powerful.
Speaker 1: I liked that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree with that. I just didn't I guess I didn't really care for the writing. I thought there were too many monologues, like just so drawn out. It reminded me of those early episodes of season seven where it was just all everybody felt weird and they were just all talking so much without saying anything. That was kind of what it felt like for me. So I don't know. I like the logan thing. Yeah, I liked that he was there, but just the dialogue I was a little bit bored with. And when he says he said something like there's nowhere I'd rather be than here with you, I was like, oh, that's nice, But I thought I said cheese ball, like it just was so it was too perfect.
Speaker 2: I respectfully disagree. She was needed it. She needed it, someone steady, she needed she kept worrying about his work, his work, and so he's saying to her, this is where I need to be right now.
Speaker 1: Do about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get that.
Speaker 4: I'm just and also I think that goes but this was kind of blaw for me, Like I didn't dislike it, but I didn't love it.
Speaker 3: I think that goes back to what we said about the comparison between Logan and Christopher, because that's when Rory says, thank you so much for being here, and he's like, I wouldn't be that. I think I think it was more of a I get why you think, Yeah, I get why you think it's cheesy, but I felt like it was needed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: The specific one I was thinking was when they were in the hospital, like they were sitting in the waiting room and he says something something.
Speaker 5: Him yeah, work keeps calling him oh oh oh.
Speaker 2: Thought thoughts, I want to hear what you think.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of with Suzanne and Amy. I liked it. I enjoyed it. I got some laughs. I could ease into it, but I I think what we've done here in season seven is is the show has painted itself into a corner that it's can't get out of, and no matter what they do, it still feels awkward. Like you know, the book the Boomerang is coming around to Luke and Laureli, but it's so deeply buried in the episode that it's really kind of seems inconsequential, as you know, like a D storyline or an F storyline, when really all they're focused on is is Richard's health and you know Emily's reaction. I mean, this was basically Emily's episode from top to bottom, and she was fantastic, but it was I don't think the weight distribution for the main characters was properly distributed.
Speaker 2: Let's see where you're what you're saying. I think that the episode goes to Laurelai and Emily because we really saw something in their relationship in my opinion in this episode. I don't know, as we go see by scene, I'm interested what you guys think, but I thought, oh, we're really we're seeing some progress. Dare I say, like, because she was so frustrated with Emily doing all the business of you know, Richard's life and the fish and the this and the that, and then you have that scene in the hospital, like drug store, I don't know what it is, hospital, convenience store, whatever, that whatever, that little gift shop, and I thought, oh, that really came to a moment. I don't know. I really liked this episode.
Speaker 1: And I think, sorry, go ahead, susan Oh.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, I think they did a good job of showing how everyone reacted to the trauma differently. Like Emily was very transactional, laurl I kind of checked out a little bit, like she was just kind of flat, and Rory was like, let me run around and pretend I'm helping by grabbing every object that he owns. Like it was just I liked the kind of the contrast with how they all handled it differently.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just true that's how people read. Everybody reacts differently in a crisis.
Speaker 2: Only reacted how I expected her to react. That's exactly what I would expect of her, and Laura Lai sort of pushing on it but yet not opening up. And then finally they have that moment and I think Roy's traumatized by what happened and just so hopeful he's going to be okay, and she has that moment where She's like, he's a really good teacher. Oh wait, he's not going to be there next week, Like she's really to me, reacting exactly how a college aged person would sort of react. I thought Logan really stepped up. I thought Christopher's complete dumbass, Like f you, Christopher, you tool bag?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I mean, and I, as we know, I like him, But that's that's an s H I T T y thing to do, Like what is where the hell was he?
Speaker 5: I don't care if you said two days before you were getting divorced, you still show up?
Speaker 1: Like what this is for the course. This is deeply embedded in Christopher's adult DNA where he doesn't show up. He doesn't come through look with parents, it's it's one of two options. You either show up or you don't. Doesn't matter's divorced or separate. Whatever you show up. He doesn't. He consistently does not, So this was not a surprise. I could see this coming from ten miles away.
Speaker 3: And showed up. He just bothered me. So he was So he's like I wish he just never showed up.
Speaker 1: And then and then he and then he has and then he has the nerve to say to.
Speaker 2: Luke shouldn't be here, Yeah, such a he gives him that look.
Speaker 4: I love that part, right.
Speaker 5: I also kind of love like the first time that Luke shows up, Laura I said, oh, well, you know, like Christopher is going to be here soon, and he knew he wasn't there and showed up again, you know, like I just like I kind of I liked that character decision for Luke because he totally you know, like he knew he wasn't there, so he was going to show up again.
Speaker 2: Also, I love that Luke immediately went and sort of says, I just immediately came and then goes and runs all the errands for Emily and he's happy to do it. Like, we have to remember this guy's heartbroken too. He's heartbroken by her she broke up with him and married someone else, but he doesn't care because he puts her first always, and Christopher put himself first. And I am mad about it.
Speaker 1: You know. It was also a stretch for me to watch laurle I not understand why her mother was being so transactional in this moment, because laurele I sort of portrays a wisdom in human interaction a lot of times, so for her to be so out of touch with what her own mother is going through and can't empathize with that in any way, to the point where it makes her angry and openly like she just walked away from her mother, left her at the table in an hour of her hour of need. So I thought that was inconsistent in the writing as well.
Speaker 2: It's the fair point. I really like the scene. I know we'll go through it where they're eating.
Speaker 1: Right, but I like the scene because, you know, Emily got to say, hey, you've been married for four minutes. I've been married for forty years. Yeah, and then this is what we did, and here's the history of it, and this is why I'm doing it, like as if she was owed, as if Laurel I was owed an explanation.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just I like the come around to the milk dead scene because it's like they really made some progress, you know.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, Susan, you know, honestly, if Emily, all I could think of is how many caps is Emily going to lose in this scene because she's eating milk DUTs, because they're all going to just yank them off their posts.
Speaker 2: Scott, I love you so much because I literally was like, this is so bad for their teeth, This is so bad for their teeth. I would not eat a milk dud because it just gets so stuck, and I thought.
Speaker 5: For acting, you know what I mean, because it's like.
Speaker 1: Would by the end of that scene, I.
Speaker 4: I loved that she even wanted a milk dud like it was so un Emily. It was so fun to see her being like a normal person that eats candy.
Speaker 3: I also loved her in a track suit.
Speaker 1: I don't know what he did. That was That was That was Emily at uh you know up to past volume ten, that was eleven. You know, she was just all long. This was so her episode.
Speaker 2: It wasn't really and she sure was good.
Speaker 1: Who's going to send off Size Romo?
Speaker 5: This is season seven, episode thirteen, I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia Air date February six, two thousand and seven. While Lorlai, Rory, and Emily wait at the hospital for news of Richard's condition, Logan borrows a helicopter so that he can be there with Rory, and Luke arrives to help out and ends up running errands for Emily, but dun dundune Chris is nowhere to be found.
Speaker 2: Tool bag.
Speaker 4: They keep calling it a chopper chopper, like that's a corrige thing to say.
Speaker 2: One chopper maybe, but like five at some point.
Speaker 1: You're gonna chopped in from mon Talk. I'd love to say that just chopped talk, by the way, which is a very beautiful part of the country.
Speaker 2: All right, Susan hit it, all right.
Speaker 4: I do have to say Rory's hair looked really good in this.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I have that too. It looks really good.
Speaker 4: I like that, like pulled back from the bangs.
Speaker 3: I thought that was so early two thousands with the.
Speaker 4: It was like curled at the end. It was really cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Great.
Speaker 4: So Babet is taking one of laurel I's plants out of her house. And Babet was another highlight in this episode for me, like every every scene with she had the dog on the porch.
Speaker 2: She was when she goes to Luke, I really like that.
Speaker 4: We'll get to Yeah, she was great. And she hears Lorelei's phone ringing and asks if it's her pants alarm and then so eventually laurel I answers the phone and she says, oh my gosh, I'll be right there and runs away, leaving Babbett standing there with the plant.
Speaker 2: Somehow bab knew what happened, so maybe.
Speaker 4: She must have found out I guess maybe or something. Yeah, somehow, somehow she heard. But Babet's making a jungle in the bedroom. I don't know that I want to go any further than that.
Speaker 1: Is there anybody better that you've ever seen on television in terms of comedic acting? That?
Speaker 2: She's great?
Speaker 1: She's completely overwhelmed with some kind of physical task.
Speaker 2: She's really great.
Speaker 1: It's like the tightrope and is she going to fall off it? I mean, it's just amazing tension she creates with her work.
Speaker 4: She's she's awesome.
Speaker 1: Can't take your eyes off her.
Speaker 4: I know, funny, this is going to be.
Speaker 3: Same.
Speaker 2: I was just about to say this. This may be a totally controversial statement, but for me at this time, Sally is funnier with the physical things than Melissa. Now, I understand Melissa McCarthy is iconic and owned her craft or whatever one says, but Sally really nails it every time. So I'm just.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they're both on a very very very high level. Yeah, for sure, and wouldn't and wouldn't to show between those two be something to behold, right, you imagine that mother do what if they were the Gilmore Girls part? Do you know?
Speaker 4: And I think if the show went on, they didn't give Melissa as many opportunities as they did in the beginning. Like in the first season, Suki was very flat sy and she was always falling down and like there was just more opportunities for that physical comedy, and it seemed like they kind of took that away from her as the show went on. All Right, So Rory sitting in the hospital, her cell phone's ringing Laura I doesn't know where to find her.
Speaker 2: And she's out of it, which is very I thought that played well. The woman kind of behind her, yeah, how you feel, just sort of totally in shock and like right, and so.
Speaker 4: She's trying to explain to Lurlai what happened. Like you can tell Rory had been paying attention. She knows the words, she knows the acronyms. Yeah, but they still just they don't have a lot of information because Richard still have tests done. Lorelai is trying to get a hold of Christopher. But then why is to Rory and says, oh, you know, he's on his way, he's coming. She doesn't want to admit yet that she can't find him.
Speaker 2: Can I double down on the d wordness of Christopher? Like, yeah, he's you're he's her dad? Like are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Dude?
Speaker 2: Like go even if you're mad at Loralai, go because your daughter.
Speaker 3: Needs you, right and you kidding me?
Speaker 2: And he's got such a close relationship with Richard, it just doesn't track for me.
Speaker 1: As Amy. I have a question for you about Christopher. Why are you surprised?
Speaker 6: I don't know, no one's surprised.
Speaker 1: Why Why the outrage when we know how this is going to play out? This is the character's purpose in.
Speaker 2: You make a great point, because I just keep always wanting to see the best in him.
Speaker 1: But isn't it great even though we know he's gonna do this stuff, we still get angry. Yeah, you can't avoid it. You can't so let.
Speaker 2: Down by him in this. I think it's because of his relationship with Richard, like like, rise above, dude.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think I expect anything from him, but I was just more annoyed for Rory and Lorlai. I'm like, just like, that's the thing is like just show up for them. It's not even like expecting much from him. It's like more for the girls.
Speaker 2: Right where was he?
Speaker 4: And you? Like Na even mentions it in one of the phone calls, She's like, everyone has been reaching out to me.
Speaker 2: When she finally lost it at the end, like where the heck are you?
Speaker 4: Like, the one person that's supposed to be there for you is your husband, and even if you're fighting, that's like when something's going on with the family, you're there.
Speaker 1: He's probably looking at it with his new yacht agent looking at yacht.
Speaker 2: I don't know where he was. All right, well I'll take you.
Speaker 4: All right, so are right. So Laurelai shows up and then eventually Emily comes in in her track suit and typical you know, standard Emily that we've come to know and love. She demands to see her husband right now, and.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 4: Has a funny little interaction with the nurse who was like, who the heck are you? And then I liked it after after Emily walked away and Laurelai was like mouthing to the nurse, I'm sorry, that was cute, And then Logan arrives, So now everybody's there except Christopher, and Emila even asks where is he? Like she's noticed that. Okay, the whole clan has gathered here, even Logan's here on his chopper, but Christopher is not.
Speaker 5: Here accepting the tea from Logan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is right. When she calls out, that's a that's a good boy. Like however she said it, and later you see Lorli acknowledge it, and I'm glad Lorlai acknowledged it because you know what, whatever if he was too syrupy sweet, he showed up and didn't falter, I'll go to the house. We got this, like I genuinely know how much he cares about Rory, which.
Speaker 4: Right, right. So then the doctor comes back in and says, okay, we do need to do open heart surgery. So then Emily, going through her mental checklist, she wants to know about his education.
Speaker 3: And oh my god, I love.
Speaker 2: Legit.
Speaker 4: I would do that, yeah, and then she cites all of it back to Richard. She's like, okay, the surgeon was Yale undergrad and Harvard Medical School, and Richard's like just.
Speaker 3: I like he was like, i'no the.
Speaker 2: Because that's her job. You guys, like that's her job and she is so good at her job. And yes, it might seem dated now, but meaning you know, a I don't know how to say it, like we all have careers, right.
Speaker 5: But like her female taking care of her husband is the job, that's what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Job and she loves that job. And that's why that scene for me in the gift shop is so like I get it, Like I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then this is when Richard gives us the quote I'd rather be in Philadelphia, which obviously is the title of the episode, which was a W. C. Fields quote. I did not know that until, I mean till the first time I watched the episode. And then Emily and Laurel I are bickering over a pillowcase, and then Richard says he'd rather be in Tucson. And then I'm I'm going to give my favorite line here because I cracked up when Emily was talking about the fashion in Tucson and she goes men and sandals spare me.
Speaker 2: I also like, have had a rough time in Tucson, so I was like, I don't want to ban in Tucson. I don't I might be going out of order, forgive me, but Also when Laura tells Luke he looked small, and then later in the episode he looked tall, and I thought, God, and Luke says, yet, I think, is that when Luke says he's a big man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she said in the message to Christopher, she said he looked small. Okay, okay, But then when Luke came to the hospital, she said to Luke that he was tall.
Speaker 2: So it was the surgery and she knew he was okay at that point. Yeah. I really liked the way they wrote that. I think, look for me, and again, this episode does not have many flaws for me, It's really good. So anyway, keep going.
Speaker 4: So then we go to Luke's diner and we see Zach Is filling in for Lane because she's presumably now too pregnant to work. We don't actually see Lane in this episode. Yes, no training whatsoever. He's just jumping out. I mean, it's a small diner. How much training do you need?
Speaker 2: Scott hiring the husband makes no sense.
Speaker 1: What's the man? You know? It helps to have connections.
Speaker 4: And Zach is thrilled to be on the inside. He's got all the inside knowledge and.
Speaker 3: The backstage pats.
Speaker 2: He said, what we're all thinking I could do anything to these people's they would never know. He's like, not that I would, but I could. And literally I think about that.
Speaker 3: All the time, all the time.
Speaker 1: Did you see the extras turn around and give those horrified faces?
Speaker 2: Okay, but I'm not going to say, but there was a time in the not so distant past when Danielle and I were at a restaurant and they brought us the wrong meal and they put it down and then realized it was for a different table. And the fact that they picked it up and took it over to the other table after I'd leaned in and breathed on it to me out. So restaurant, I mean, I think you're gonna take.
Speaker 3: Your usually they can't, right, Like, they have.
Speaker 2: To know it's dropped.
Speaker 5: They shouldn't.
Speaker 4: They should remake it a restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, we were all in the same group, so maybe they considered it like I just put it in front of the wrong place, but it still wagged me out. And then I won't say, but Danielle did notice the tie went into the sauces. It was so bad.
Speaker 5: The poor guy does that on his white, crisp clean shirt.
Speaker 2: So yeah, restaurants stressed me out. They really do.
Speaker 3: Scott.
Speaker 4: When you mentioned the extras in the background, it made me think of something I wanted to mention. In that hospital scene. I don't know if you guys noticed, but there was an extra in the background of that first hospital scene that kept looking at the camera and it was it was.
Speaker 6: Really sitting behind Rory No the Wales see where Emily was there, and they had all the food in front of them on the table because they couldn't like decide what to It was like from a different angle where.
Speaker 4: That woman was sitting, there was a man with big eyebrows and he had a magazine but he kept like looking like I guess he was like watching the action or something, but he was looking like right at the camera. It was really distracting.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love a background actor.
Speaker 4: So all right, so we're at Luke's diner, Zach's having the time of his life. Babet comes in and this is when she tells Luke that Laura's dad had the heart attack. She thought he would want to know, and yeah, exactly, I know. It was good for her to do that, and so then of course then Luke's wheels are turning and he's gonna he's gonna get together or get the I guess that wasn't when he got the food together, but he's gonna go see Laurel I. So then we go back to the hospital where Lorelai is leaving the second phone message for Christopher. This is when Suki calls, and so she's talking to Suki, and the whole Michelle says blah blah blah, tell Michelle, blah blah blah. Oh, Laurel I says blah. Like the whole conversation going between Michelle Tsuki to Laurel I to Suki to Michelle. I could have done without that whole thing was annoying.
Speaker 1: I agree that was unusual. That was an unusual scene.
Speaker 4: I mean, Michelle has worked at that end for how many years? He can't figure out where to get a roll away from, Like I don't know, I just.
Speaker 2: Have really like she's in a crisis, and you're like, I don't know, it's weird, which is at this wasn't funny or clever. That was probably the only scene that I was.
Speaker 3: Like, Yeah, I liked her calling Suki, but I just didn't need the Michelle part of it.
Speaker 4: Right, exactly, yeah, exactly, and Suki was cute. She's like, oh, I want to send so and so over with whatever it was. I forget what it was, cookies or something. So we see like Laurelis getting all this support from everyone except her husband.
Speaker 2: And may briefly interject with one thing that just came to my mind. So sorry, you know how the muffin tops were in last week. Thank you to the person who wrote us about the Seinfeld episode. Fill More Girls did not invent muffin tops. Seinfeld did it earlier. I apologized for the interruption, but felt that it was important too.
Speaker 4: So Emily's on the phone canceling something or other. This is the part where Logan made that comment about I wrote in my notes, I wrote two perfect because this is when Logan said something like because he wasn't answering his phone, and Rory was like, shouldn't you answer that? He's like I have something like there's nothing more important than me here with you.
Speaker 2: I'm like, right, it's so rude. If he was her grandpa's in a hospital bed, what's he gonna.
Speaker 4: Be like, I gotta take a call?
Speaker 5: Like that's kind of a yeah. It's also it's the it's not even charming. It's the thing you should do. Yeah, your significantther is going through something like that.
Speaker 2: I would seem low again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I maybe I'm not getting my point across. I'm not having a problem with what he was doing. I just thought that the dialogue was cheesy. I just maybe you think he's a little chmarmie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it was impacting for a twenty three, twenty four year old.
Speaker 5: However, I did not want him to change. I'm really nervous you will. I am fully nervous.
Speaker 1: I think you can be a real gentleman. It's went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think he was raised right. He's got tough parents. But I do think manners doing the right thing, even though he rebelled against it. I do think he was taught like, yeah, there's a family crisis, you step up up and he considers them family.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think he don't. I'm I'm team Logan, but the movies are coming way. The movies are coming.
Speaker 4: Way too fast for me that I'm like, Uh, I'm not disagreeing that he would be that he would should be like that, or that he was like that. That's not what I'm disagreeing.
Speaker 2: With anyone dreading the movies. Sorry to interrupt, I just so many things are happening now that they're getting me so close to the movies that I'm just like, I'll shut it.
Speaker 1: I'm actually looking I'm actually looking forward to them.
Speaker 2: I like the movies.
Speaker 4: I will say those to everybody that before we talk about them, you should watch each one at least twice.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that's a great note, really great because the first.
Speaker 4: Time it's because it's different, like remember night Yeah, fell off rhythm. So watch it once and sit there and be like, what the hell was that? And then watch it a second time and then it would make more sense.
Speaker 2: That's a great note. Okay, that's an excellent note for everybody. Continue anyways, So have a lot of homework.
Speaker 4: It is a lot of home I know.
Speaker 3: And their longer episodes, yeah, they're an hour or.
Speaker 2: Two hours, go fast like they might we might have to split him into two parts each. So we watch half twice, half twice, half tway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I think we're gonna have a lot to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do too, I do too, So I thenk it's gonna be well listening. Thanks for listening to our production meeting.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So then Luke shows up and he says, Laurla kind of gave him the brush off because she was trying to imply that Christopher was about to show up.
Speaker 2: Did not love that.
Speaker 4: Then Emily gives him an assignment. He has to go pick up the car. And then she said, you do know how to drive a European car, don't you like? They drive differently than non European cars.
Speaker 3: Also, I like when she was like, check the faculty lot and any other lot, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Nts there are.
Speaker 5: Checked the whole camp.
Speaker 2: There's like Yale, thousands of cars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so go get the car, Go shovel the path, go meet the fish man. And then Logan and Rory end up taking Laurelized car to go get the fish because Logan arrived in helicopter chopper a chopper and yes, such a talk, as we find out as they're walking away, they have that little conversation and then Laurel I looks.
Speaker 2: At her phone.
Speaker 4: Still no voicemail, no calls, you know, we just are aculle aware that Christopher is not around. Then, so this next scene I liked. This is when Babat was trying to walk Paul Anka and he didn't want to go down the porch steps. I thought the dog did a great acting job in this scene.
Speaker 1: That Grat should have been nominated for a doggie or something that a board for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was on point.
Speaker 3: I also liked that they finally brought back like the quirks that paul Anka has. It's been a minute since we've seen that. We haven't seen it the season at all.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 4: That's a good point because when she first got him and he was like afraid of.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, you have to like turn around seven times or you know the things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I thought I thought that was a good scene. And then bad BET's trying to support Laureal I. She's like, you know, it's gonna be fine and talking about Richard's chi and all that.
Speaker 2: How sexy he is. Yeah, hearing it. But I loved it because I kind of agree, like Richard's a stud.
Speaker 4: Then we go to Logan and Rory are at Emily and Richards. My note on the scene, I wrote too much blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I didn't mind it.
Speaker 3: The one line I really or the one part I really liked, and this is when Rory's kind of going off about like what Richard's going to teach in class next week. And I like that Logan didn't say like, well you don't know, yeah, yeah, let her just go and then she realized it and then he followed her lead. I just like that he let her vent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I agreed that. I thought that was good. Then we use the word chopper at least three more times.
Speaker 2: Too many, too too many.
Speaker 4: And then he so we find out this is an interesting point to make note of. We find out that Logan is looking at buying another company that is important so this yeah, and he needs an investor. He's going to buy it for five million. He's going to use three million from his trust fund. We find out that he approached his dad about it, but Mitcham said no, and so then they do their little business speak lingle. That was kind of cute when he was like, are you talking business talk? That was I thought that was cute. But just overall, like the little the honologus and where she's narrating every single item of clothing and every all the details of all the records she's going to bring, it just was too much for me and just wied too much stuff to take.
Speaker 2: I feel like too much stuff to take. I agree, but also like it is what a college kid would do, Like, Okay, I gotta go get my grandma's outfit, but I want to look in her underwear drawer, you know. Like that was all kind of funny, and I think she loves her grandpa. She loves him. She's going to bring all his books and all those records that tracks with Rory, like she remember when she would do things young, you know, earlier, she would bring like forty books like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with the character all of them. I just thought it was like that scene could have been cut in half time wise, and it would have gotten the point across. Just fine.
Speaker 2: I just I wasn't irritated, but respect Scott. How are you feeling about the dogs? Everything happening?
Speaker 1: It's all just so wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you like this episode? Sorry to interject, but I'm curious.
Speaker 1: I actually did enjoy it. I'm I'm I've learned how to ignore flaws. Yeah, and just just bring it. Just let me enjoy it, let me laugh. I had a lot of laughs. I enjoyed the ride. You know, I hit my head, so I'm you know, I don't. I don't judge it anymore. I'm not so critical anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is more fun to watch it when you're not trying to nitpick it. I'm just saying too. Yeah, I had a little some issues at the beginning of the season, and it's almost like it's just it's just kind.
Speaker 1: Of too easy. It's too easy to NITPICKTI, you know, and I think we we we got very nitpicky.
Speaker 2: THEA in seven has found its way, and there is the chance that those writers needed a minute for the new team, right, and it's now found its way.
Speaker 1: So I mean, if you were ever you know, I don't. I can't imagine another writing staff in the history of television under more pressure to come in after six seasons of this show, which is turning out to be some kind of you know, iconic historical television series woven into the fabric of the American consciousness and culture. And hey, I just pick up where Amy and Dan left off.
Speaker 2: You know, probly Amy probably wrote three times the words in a normal script, and these guys are probably writing double So it's like they're not doing twenty two episodes, they're doing forty four episode, you know what I mean? Like it's a lot. So yeah, I'll give them some grace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, Well you're just a bigger person than I am. I guess.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I have had my moments a lot.
Speaker 4: I feel like I need you to spend myself. I'd like I said at the beginning, I don't dislike it. It just wasn't great for me, Like.
Speaker 2: It just was, Eh, I'm here to support you because there have been episodes where I felt that way and I got daggered not by you guys, but by the fans. And so it's like I'm also going to say in this one for me, I love this episode. So I'm sure there's people that feel both ways.
Speaker 1: So but I think, but I think it was regarding what you're saying, Suzanne, It's like I've lowered my expectations, so I'm not I don't let it bother me.
Speaker 4: Anymore, right, right, right, Because it's not.
Speaker 1: Fair to the show. It's not fair to the current writers, you know, season seven, it's not fair to ask them to step into those shoes and do exactly what Amy and Dan did.
Speaker 3: It's not fair, I thought. I mean, I was very close to give I was just.
Speaker 1: Trying to give them the props because I think they're doing a really good job at this point.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, mindful. Oh sorry, go ahead, Susanne.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was just going to say, as I was watching this last night, because I I typically will watch my husband will watch it with me, and then we'll like comment on it. And he kind of felt the same way I did. He's like, I'm glad that you said that, because I was you didn't want to say it to me, but when I said it, then he's like, yeah, I thought the same thing. And I even looked to see who the writer was and if they had written other episodes, and it was credited to Rebecca rand Kirshner, and apparently she wrote ten episodes, some of which I completely loved. So it's not like I don't like her writing, because I do. She wrote this the Sanda's Secret Stuff episode that we just watched that I totally loved. So I don't know. I guess there's it's just something about this episode that is.
Speaker 2: Very mindful of my own mind state? Is that the word mindset? When I watched this episode, because I was a little nervous about watching this episode just because of my own like I don't want to bring in my own junk into it, and I think I had done that a couple of weeks ago. So I went to watch it on I think Sunday night, and then I said I'm going to wait, and I watched it when I was like really ready for it because it's a tough episode a little bit. And I think that also benefited me because I really I was super just in with the episode, like I wanted to feel this whole thing.
Speaker 1: Did you I mean, did you watch this episode before Chance Jackson or after post.
Speaker 2: George Janet Jackson, before Janet Jackson Fall, which I can tell everybody about if they care.
Speaker 3: Wait, Susanne, how many times has your husband seen Gilmore? Girls? Like this is first or second?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: He So when I watched it the very very first time, and I was like, oh my god, you need to watch this show. So I made him watch the whole thing from start to finish years ago, and but then it's like a lot of times, especially when it was on up TV, it was just always on in the background, and so he's like seen the whole He may not have watched it straight through again, but he's seen all the episodes of various He can quote some of the lines better than I can.
Speaker 1: Garry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, So we're in the cafeteria and this is where Laurel gets upset at Emily for calling them getting the will.
Speaker 2: Also was concerned about that old man.
Speaker 3: Oh and they.
Speaker 2: Also all concerns about him and really noticed him multiple times and was like, I wonder about he has what's going on? And then when she said it, I was like, oh my god, I am a person.
Speaker 4: She had a good point. So as somebody who has worked in hospitals for twenty eight years now, she's right, Like, patients are not supposed to be eating in the cafeteria the diet prescribed by the doctor. They eat what they bring to the patient's room. Like generally patients are not taking their ivy pull down to the caffe.
Speaker 2: Do you have a baby, because can't you bring in any restaurant food? Like I know people that when they have a baby they get like mastros delivered or whatever.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, you you can, depending once you deliver, right, depending on the medical situation, but you have to have permission, you know, from from the doctor, and they'll ride an order that says, you know that the patient can have their own.
Speaker 1: I thought I was their food.
Speaker 2: I didn't do that, just uberneats on an ivy. I thought maybe he just had a hip replacement or something. I had a whole story in my mind.
Speaker 3: I totally noticed the red drink. Do you remember in like like in schools and all those like nineties show there's always that red juice. He had it in front of it.
Speaker 2: But I just kind of like high Sea or something like a little plastic bottle, just.
Speaker 5: Like those were fire Those are good.
Speaker 4: Okay. So Emily's on the phone with the lawyer getting the will and this bothers Laurel.
Speaker 3: I I kind of agree with Emily. I understand where Laurele's headed is. But I think Emily's being realistic because current like currently, my my grandma's getting older and my dad is helping figure out her will between like him and his brothers, and it's like he's like, I don't want to think about it, like if and well, when the time comes, and so if I would say, yeah, but you know, when the time comes. And so I didn't blame her because she's probably thinking we didn't do this sooner.
Speaker 2: At it because the last time and this is his wishes and her job. Again, Yeah, I also understand because there is the business of.
Speaker 5: It too, and the hospital's going to have to handle the business. Somebody has to handle.
Speaker 3: I want to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the hospital is going to ask what the DNR status is because they don't want to call a code blue on somebody that doesn't want to be resuscitated, so they they will ask for that. But the actual will, like the dn R is part of the living will, right, the actual will. They held me back in the hospital because it was helping his stuff in the hospital.
Speaker 2: It was helping her busy, it was keeping her focused. Also, ordering the fish is mentally her saying he's going to be fine, and when he gets home, I'm going to have fish and I'm not going to lose my reservation with this. Made he d because he's going to be fine and we're going to go back there. So I really we're going.
Speaker 5: To get better by eating fish exactly.
Speaker 2: So I understood what she was doing. And also it's very Emily. That's how she copes. And she did have her meltdown. We knew it would come, but she was doing what she needed to do.
Speaker 3: And this is how many years, well, let's say like what roughly like eight years since since the other heart attack.
Speaker 2: Because there's only season seven, so the first season one.
Speaker 3: Because at that point she had nothing prepared. Now he's kind of yeah, she kind of knows what to do or what to expect.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, And she says like they had, she just is executing the you know this the plan that they had created after the last time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Gorlai does not react well to that. Yeah, I guess it just seems like a little morbid, like Emily's already assuming he's going to pass away, which she's not, but just the two of them are not understanding where the other one is coming from.
Speaker 2: So not to be a total like because please don't write Alis makes it about her, but like my dad, his job is to be the lawyer that she's calling, and like, so there is an element of it where you a B C D E. You get those things in order and then then you don't worry about that, do you know what I mean? So she's I get what she's doing, and I'm not mad. I get I also understand my lore livees frustrated by it. That I have full respect for how everybody is sort of grieving here and dealing every single person.
Speaker 4: So right, that's why I'm kind of on the fence about it, because it's the ultimate just doing the best.
Speaker 2: They can, you do, you boo, because when you're dealing with that stuff, you cannot be told how to deal with it. Yeah, So that's just where I'm at on it, and everybody.
Speaker 1: Everybody react differently every Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: It's kind of what Scott said earlier, like everybody try to support everybody in the way they're dealing with it too, So which I do. I love the scene that's coming, so I'll shut my trap.
Speaker 4: Then we go back to Emily and Richard's and we have another scene that was way too long. I don't know why we needed this scene twice. This is where we talk about the records and the clothes for a really long time, and then the fish and the fish all has to go in the right refrigerator. And this is where Rory thanks Logan for being there with her. That was a nice That was a nice moment. But I'd like they couldn't put that with the other scene. I don't know. Then we go then, okay, so this is the scene in the gift shop. This was I this was a good scene.
Speaker 2: This was.
Speaker 4: Kelly Bishop was brilliant in this scene, and Loura is still upset about the way Emily's acting, and Emily says, this, this is the plan, like this is I have to do this.
Speaker 3: Thoughts on this scene, I this is where I kind of I felt for Laura, but I did side with Emily when she's like, I've you've been married for what she say, like forty days and I've been married for over forty years and yeah, it's so true, and it kind of it kind of made Laura, I think, realize like she doesn't know how marriage works, like not like we ever believe she did. But I think Laurai is like, I know what I'm doing a lot of the times, and in this moment, she's probably like, my mom's right, yeah, I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: So sorry that I just Danielle, I'm so sorry, but I just do think it's important. So you can take your headphones off, but I'm not going to run anything. It's just making me think about the movies. It's making me think about the movies so much. I can't help it. And I do think we're analyzing the show from a bird's eye view. It should be mentioned, but I also I see both their perspectives, but I get it. Emily is just I just thought she was so brilliant Kelly playing Emily, and also I just understood and I think finally she conveyed it to Laura, and that's why we get the milk dead scene because she finally expressed what she's feeling.
Speaker 1: I think what is so good in the writing in this episode is that there's a generation gap between mother and daughter that can't be You're right, and that experience and age. With experience and age comes wisdom, and Laurel I lacked that experience and wisdom in this situation, and she didn't know how to handle it. She's freaking out and she was overacting because she didn't get it because she hadn't been there, you know what I'm saying. And it's amazing. As I get older, I find myself in more and more of these situations with younger people, you know, and me having to explain to them exactly what Emily said. You know, I've been around the block and you haven't, and you don't know what's coming and you don't know how to do.
Speaker 2: York by saying that, like with age is wisdom and like we would be well served to listen to people that know do you know what I mean? And like and also putting ourselves because Laura I was behaving how Lorlai felt instead of taking a deep breath and saying, what is my mom actually experiencing here? And I felt, for some reason in this episode my heart was with Emily because I was like, oh my god, she is in excruciating pain, worry, stress.
Speaker 4: Over this, and we've seen that to a lesser extent. It kind of reminded me of that episode where I don't even remember what season it was three or four maybe four, with where they were planning that event with Jason's styles and he canceled it, and so Emily was feeling obsolete and useless, and Laurel I really defended her, like she went to Jason and was like, Dude, my mother lives for this stuff and you just pulled the rug out from under her.
Speaker 1: So I.
Speaker 4: Think, I think Laura I can get it.
Speaker 2: She gets it in she.
Speaker 4: Was kind of bogged down by her own thoughts.
Speaker 2: She gets it in the gift shop. You know what it makes me think of and for me and I know I said it at the time. One of the most important scenes I ever saw in Gilmour Girls is when Richard and Emily are separated and Emily goes on the date and comes home and shuts the door and cries. And I don't know, I'm realizing as the series goes on, how much Emily is so important even with her shortcomings, And it's like they are the couple, even with their ups and down.
Speaker 5: So I hate to say it, but like, in my opinion, Emily is the Gilmore girl, Like she is that to me, Like obviously, I know a lot of people would say argue that that's Rory or lauraa I, but to me, she is the show.
Speaker 1: You know. Another another aspect of this in that dynamic where Laurel is not understanding where where her mother's coming from, could be, you know, either subconsciously or not, Laurel I re reacting to this reality she's living where Christopher's not responding to her text, he's not coming by. You know, she's just kind of out of her depth in this situation. She's going to lose her maybe going to lose her dad, so of course she's going to overreact. So it's funny to interject that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So on the milk duds.
Speaker 1: In other words, I don't I don't think she was. I don't think I don't think she was so angry at her mother. I think she was angry at her situation.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, Yeah, I agree with you. She was just she was totally like it couldn't make sense of it because she was she was in her state instead of putting herself into her mom's situation.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And how would she react if, maybe if Christopher were about to have surgery or Luke was about to have surgery? You know, yeah, who did she want to be in a situation with who was having surgery?
Speaker 4: That's an interesting point, surgery quiz. When you mentioned Christopher or Luke having surgery, it made me think it might also be a little bit of a difference because it's different when it's your parent versus your husband. You know, like, as an adult child, you know that your parents are going to die at some point, but you don't necessarily expect your spouse to pas, you know what I mean. So, like Emily's experience is going to be different than loralized and vice versa, just because they both have a different relationship with Richard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like Emily, I mean, Emily can think like, oh, maybe she'll pass before Richard. But as as a child, you know that you'll see both your parents pass in your lifetime, right.
Speaker 2: Right, like you you know that you're.
Speaker 3: You know it's coming.
Speaker 2: It's so awful. It's just awful that.
Speaker 1: You can't you can't know. My cousin called me he'd lost his mother, my aunt, and when my mother was near the end, he called me and said, Scott, it's going to hit you like a train. It's it's it's the most impactful thing you will ever go through. And he wasn't wrong.
Speaker 4: I did just to put a put the button on that scene. I did like the shoplifting of the Kleenex. That was cute and we'll worry about this later.
Speaker 1: Did you just take that?
Speaker 4: Didn't even think twice. She just takes it off the shelf and starts handing out Queenex, almost like she choplifted before. Anyway, So this is the the duds scene. Emily is like really into the milk duds, and she she said something like why why are they called duds? It's counterintuitive for a candy or I can't remember the exact line, but I thought that was funny, so I had I googled it because I'm like, why why do they call it milk duds? And apparently the inventor.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're trying to describe the episodes in season seven.
Speaker 4: I guess the inventor couldn't get them completely round and so he called.
Speaker 3: Them they were duds. Oh yeah, because they're all different shapes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, good one. But anyway, so they're passing them back and forth, and I'm like, I wonder how many takes that took, because they're passing these like fifteen milk does a handful.
Speaker 2: When the doctor comes to I totally was like and then she's like hands and it's hands.
Speaker 1: They're probably they wanted her to scrub up before it's going to see the Richard.
Speaker 2: I know, they're all kind of cavalier being around a dude who just had a triple bypass or whatever.
Speaker 1: He have chocolate hands.
Speaker 4: Right, So the doctor comes in and says, you know, just one visitor, and so Emily goes to see him in the hospital room. Now, I don't know, I've been I worked in the ICU for a good twenty years. I've seen a lot of open heart patients come out. They do not come out just with their little nasal canyon. I'm sorry. They have like eight different IVY pumps. Half the time they're intubated. They're not they're not wearing their hospital gown because they have to get to the dressings. Like that was silly, but.
Speaker 5: They should have, you know, didn't think about it.
Speaker 4: Someone that's ever been inside and I see you before, but I'll let them have that one. And they had like these weird supplies in there, like it's they had a trait cart and that he didn't even have a trait like why would that be in there? Whatever, But just this, I know everything.
Speaker 2: I got a stop.
Speaker 4: I can't watch the medical shows because I get mad.
Speaker 2: But he was in good spirits.
Speaker 4: He you know things, the surgery went fine, and he was Emily's like bombarding him with all the all of her checklist items and.
Speaker 2: He's like, that's what she would totally want to do. I've got the fish. Yeah, it was just a nice She's like, we're gonna have so much fish like that was her way of saying, like I'm so happy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, like she's just you could see the relief. Yeah, but that the surgery went well because she's just like pouring everything out, like I got all this fish and so that was a nice scene.
Speaker 1: I liked that.
Speaker 4: And then uh oh they don't come okay. Then we go back outside the hospital where Lurlai is leaving. I think this was message number three. I was trying to count and I think that was the third message that she was leaving for Christopher. And this is when she basically tells him like this is not okay, and she hangs up, so she's like done trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 1: That was a scene.
Speaker 4: That was a good scene.
Speaker 1: Excellent scene. Yeah, just her is just just Laurla on the phone right, terrific, terrific stuff.
Speaker 4: Very good. And then back in the hospital room, they've got the record player. Rory's playing some of his music and.
Speaker 3: Which I was like, who's bringing a record player and plugging it into the.
Speaker 1: I know, I know.
Speaker 4: That was another thing that was a little unrealistic. The nurses would have been like, take all that junk back to the car and that does not need to be in here.
Speaker 3: And turn it down.
Speaker 1: Actually, guys, we did that for my mom.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We brought in a turntable and Sinatra records.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they they do. Like if it's an end of life situation.
Speaker 1: Was it was hospous care, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: They will bend the rules in a situation like that. But somebody who is you know, two hours out of open heart surgery, there's not.
Speaker 1: Going to be a station in there, Dak Can I make it on? How about it? How about a record? We'll yeah there, Vaughan for you.
Speaker 3: I didn't think it was sweet though, like yeah, yeah, she.
Speaker 4: Was trying to bring the things she knew would bring him comfort in happiness.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, this episode messed me up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it. No, I get it. It's heavy stuff, all of it.
Speaker 4: And then this is This is where Laurela makes the comment about Logan that she's glad to see that Rory and Logan are getting along and he says he's almost okay. I thought that was good. And then one more hospital scene was this is when Luke came with the food. They had a nice little conversation, Like Laurela, I wasn't trying to brush him off this time like she did the first time.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you guys something, did you what do you think Luke was really trying to get out of there unnoticed or was he trying to get caught.
Speaker 2: I don't think he was intentionally trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I think he just wanted to deliver the guy and just get out of it. He wasn't trying to another meeting, another connection with Inger to long. Really, he's just dropping off.
Speaker 2: The food.
Speaker 3: Was in the bags, Yes, blaming it.
Speaker 5: He wanted to see her and make.
Speaker 2: Sure she's obviously, But but I'm not mad. I don't think he was intentionally trying to be like, I'm gonna linger around so Christopher sees me and I can not Christopher.
Speaker 5: But lorla yeah, maybe see her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, needed that scene in his truck where he's clutching onto the bags before he goes in the hospital. He's debviously scheming.
Speaker 3: No, I feel like it's just a very Luke characteristic too, Like I just think, you know, he were coming off the episode where Lorlai wrote the letter for Luke, and I think he just still yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Right right, and he he knows like he kind of feels like he needs to do something for her because she did that thing for He just saw that opportunity.
Speaker 1: To the extra mile go there exactly.
Speaker 4: So then Christopher shows up and immediately is on the offensive, telling Luke that he needs to leave. And I loved that little visual exchange between Luke and Christopher where Luke just gives him a look and then Christopher like immediately looks down like he was totally in this subordinate position there. I thought that was that was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: Thank you by the way. I worked on that for hours coming up with that brief pause.
Speaker 2: It was very good.
Speaker 4: And then Chris is like defensive with Laurel I and.
Speaker 3: I just thought it wasn't the time, Like you, you weren't there all day and before anything happened, you were going to talk about Luke being there, Like we could have had that conversation in a day. Yeah, not thirty seconds after you walk into the hospital, after everyone's been or Laura, I's been calling you five time.
Speaker 4: Times right right, like he immediately makes it about himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like like Scott said, are we surprised, No, you just.
Speaker 1: You know he's delivering the goods. Christopher always, he never lets you down in that department. Here's a big bag of d bag, here you go, my name on it.
Speaker 4: I also like the very very end where Emily is like picking up that you know, probably all is not well there and she's trying to comfort Lorelei in her own way.
Speaker 2: I really love that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was That was a great moment. And then that was that was the episode.
Speaker 1: All right, So what are we giving it?
Speaker 2: Jokes from the Fishman and.
Speaker 1: I really like ten jokes from the Fishman and just jumped right in.
Speaker 7: I also response like, I was like, what co d like? As he said it, I was like, oh wait, what are you giving it?
Speaker 3: I give this nine point seven choppers.
Speaker 8: Choppers Danielle well I had choppers, but I will improvise on the spot and say nine point two five cups of tea.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say seven milk duds, lot amount of DUTs, but melted milk DUTs, dirty hand for being handed back and.
Speaker 1: Forth, four caps in them.
Speaker 2: Duds are covered in germs. They went from hand to hand, back to hand, hospital no less, just so many germs.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give it. Gosh, the critical side is it war with the forgiving signs?
Speaker 4: Uh, what's the difference?
Speaker 1: Seven five? Let's give it a seven point seven seven stolen Kleenex tissues and that's gonna rap. Oh are we gonna well, No, we're not anyway, that's gonna be a wrap on season seven, episode thirteen. I'd rather be in Philadelphia. Thank you, ladies, Daniel Roma, Terra, suit Amy, Sugarman. Choose in French. We will see you next time. What's the name of the next episode? Do we care? I can't carry?
Speaker 5: Does Paul Inca die?
Speaker 4: We can't tell you.
Speaker 1: We can't tell you, and I don't know either. I couldn't tell you. If I don't know, I don't know. It'll be season seven, episod fourteenth. Farewell, my pet best fans on the planet. Thanks for all the downloads. Everybody, keep those cards and letters coming. Remember we I A'm all in. Stay safe, Hey, everybody tells again. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.