Speaker 1: We've got your brand new second date to start your week. Thanks so much for being here at Brick and Jeffrey in the morning. And today is really about how just a simple question, just a real simple first date question goes very wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. If it's kind of a hard I don't know if i'd have an answer to the question what your scariest story is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you listen to enough crime podcast, I would think that you'd be able to come up with it.
Speaker 3: They got killed in an alley once after a soccer match. A guy was literally wearing a hockey mask. What it was a hockey mask of the team. So I was like, go team and he was some wasted guy approached me. Thank god, mine friend Tristan was there, jumped on him and choked it and we both pushed him down.
Speaker 4: And I got away.
Speaker 2: Did he like come at you web?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, he grabbed my shirt and then he pulled me in and I was like, dude, and I was trying to push him and he wouldn't like go and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take it back. I guess it is an easy question question.
Speaker 4: I ask you my second favorite one.
Speaker 5: No, no, all right, I dragon, all right, leave your scariest stories in the comments today and enjoy your brand new second Date Second Date Updated.
Speaker 4: They say finding love is like finding Wi Fi in the desert. It's rare, it's impossible, it's miraculous. Yes, it's slightly alarming when it actually happens to you. And right now, our listener Dan is out in the dating desert wandering around holding his phone up in the air, trying to get one bar of love. Oh, there it goes. Let's see if we can try and help strengthen that signal today with this second Date Update. Dan, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Man. Yeah, we're worried about you out there. He needs some water. How are you doing?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 4: Right now, you must be feeling okay because apparently a woman has wandered into your desert of dating.
Speaker 2: Are you sure it's not a mirage?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it could be. What's this girl's name?
Speaker 6: Her name's Becca.
Speaker 4: Okay, how did you meet Becca?
Speaker 6: So we were at a friend's mutual gathering. Like, it wasn't anything crazy, it was just like a like a bonfire. Yeah, So we ended up kind of sitting next to each other, So we ended up chatting you know. Your producer asked me, like, what's stuck up about her? Stuck out about her?
Speaker 4: What's what? But what is stuck up about her? That's also a important question.
Speaker 6: Maybe that's what it is. She's not calling me back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she doesn't mean anything that costs less than fifty dollars totally.
Speaker 4: What did you like about her?
Speaker 6: Well, so, first of all, like the first thing I noticed was she was wearing these like old Converse shoes with like doodles on them. So it just real relaxed. I didn't feel like she was trying too hard. She had to killer smile as well, So I was like, man, this is like right up my alley.
Speaker 2: That's cute, and the scene's kind of set for you.
Speaker 1: You're at a bonfire, you know, everybody looks good under bonfire light dark to see.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, So we ended up chatting there, and then as the night was kind of getting getting done, I had asked her if she was hungry, if she wanted to go to eat, and so we went out to like a little Mexican place and.
Speaker 2: It was just you and her that went to the Mexican restaurant.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was just the two of us. So you know, it was a real solid night and then kind of cooled down. So I had given her my jacket and I had walked her back to her car and I told her, I said, you know, just hang out of the jacket. You don't give it to me next time.
Speaker 4: Was that like a little plan for you to have it? It was a little move?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah? How did she react to you walking into her car and giving her the jacket?
Speaker 4: Was she like oh, thank you? Or was it like ew no? Well, I don't know.
Speaker 6: No, I mean it seemed like polite and it seemed like she was down for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I.
Speaker 1: Will say leaving something behind oldest trick in the book when it comes to ladies.
Speaker 2: I know that play.
Speaker 6: Well, she definitely knew it because what it is like she took the jacket to my buddy's place and dropped it off with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a game.
Speaker 4: End of the game, yea.
Speaker 3: Or she's like really sweet and it's just like, oh, make sure you give this back to your friend.
Speaker 2: No, she's not wanted to see him again.
Speaker 1: You'd be like sweet, Yeah, now I have a reason to contact him.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So I'm just wondering, you know, what's up? What's the reason that I feel like I'm getting ghosted now?
Speaker 1: I will say your impromptu date is pretty impressive. Yeah, like you were pretty smooth, like prepared with the Mexican restaurant.
Speaker 2: Made it all happen that night. That's awesome.
Speaker 6: I mean I was trying my best. I was trying my best.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, we're definitely going to try and help you here in a second. But I do feel like we need maybe a little bit more information because the way you paint it, it's almost too perfect. Like, was there anything weird, anything awkward that happened during.
Speaker 6: The night, So really, the only thing that I can think of was like around the bonfire, people were telling like scary stories and things like that, and I didn't tell when they're So while we were eating, she had asked me, what's your scary story? She asked, and I froze. And the only thing I could think of was not too long ago, the battery on my smoke detector died and it started beeping in the middle of the night, and it freaked me out.
Speaker 4: Oh isn't it more of an annoying died and was talking from the dead.
Speaker 6: Like I said, I froze, just that like, and I don't know why I told that story, but that's the story that like I went with.
Speaker 2: And but did you guys laugh about it like we just did, or she.
Speaker 6: Just kind of stared at me and like we were just eating like almost like, oh, this is a scary story, like this is a.
Speaker 4: Maybe she actually was scared by it.
Speaker 2: She was so frightened what.
Speaker 4: To say, Like it freaked her out for the entire rest of the time and now she's worried about what you might say next.
Speaker 2: Or she was hanging out a bonfire expecting to meet like a manly guy and.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, scared of you can hear what you're saying, I know, but like he knows, he knows as well, being scared of fire alarms going off.
Speaker 6: To be fair, I'm not scared of a fire alarm. I was frightened of a smoke alarm. There are two different things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, because where there's smoke, there's fire, and where there's fire, there's people hooking up.
Speaker 2: With him. It's just where there's smoke, there's a dead battery.
Speaker 6: Jeff.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, now I feel like we've got the full picture of the events that unfolded there were some nice moments, there was some awkward moments. There was some bad storytelling. We'll figure out how it all comes together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you guys blame me all the time.
Speaker 4: He's the one that said that.
Speaker 1: How does it feel, Jeff, how does it feel to be attacked for what you're saying?
Speaker 4: It feels like I'm a man and this man is going to really manly up what we Thank you, Jose. We're gonna call Alissa and try and get you your second date update right after this.
Speaker 6: Thanks you on second date update.
Speaker 4: It was the perfect first date. You had everything, a romantic bonfire, tasty Mexican food, even a little clothing swap action right hello. He tried, that is until Dan made his fatal mistake when he told his scariest story about a smoke detector that ran low on battery and wouldn't stop.
Speaker 2: Don't repeat it, Jeb, I'm gonna have nightmares forever. I know.
Speaker 4: Sorry. It should have earmuffed the children and the replacement batteries were nowhere to be found. Now that Dan admits wasn't his best moment. He kind of panic though, couldn't think of a scary story on the spot.
Speaker 1: I wish he could have laughed it off like that would have made it okay, you know what I mean if you that was a moment for you to be self deprecating.
Speaker 2: That was just missed.
Speaker 4: But that shouldn't be so bad that Becca returned his jacket the next day to his friend rather than give it to Dan face to face. You get scared, for real, buddy.
Speaker 2: Maybe it wasn't that.
Speaker 1: Maybe Dan, it was that you weren't responsible enough to replace the batteries every year.
Speaker 4: What do you think about that?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 4: You come across like any responsible guy.
Speaker 6: That's maybe that's exactly that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, maybe, yes.
Speaker 1: My dad tells me to do it on New Year's Day because then you'll never forget that's your battery, change your tradition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, this segment has officially hit a new low.
Speaker 2: Battery advice from Brooks.
Speaker 4: Dawn call in, you need some batteries. Let's talk batteries. Yeah, okay, smoke detectors. Dan, are you ready to call back here? We we got to move forward from this, right Dan?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm ready. Let let's make it happen.
Speaker 4: We'll just make him relive his trauma over and over again.
Speaker 1: I was going to go to carbon monoxide collar. Okay, you's got to make sure you have those as well. Okay, save it for new it's a silent killer.
Speaker 4: Let's just go here we go. Just calling Becca right now? Hello, Hey, is this Becca who said? Hey, this is a radio show. We're called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 3: Hey, Baca, good morning.
Speaker 7: Is this really a radio show?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I know, we exist a joke we're doing. We are also a podcast if you wanted to know. We're doing a p s A where we're calling everybody in the area to make sure that they have changed the batteries inside of their smoke detectors in their home. Have you done that?
Speaker 7: I don't need to do that.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, Oh you live in an apartment like me. They change our batteries for us. That must be nice, because apparently that wasn't the case with the guy you went out with recently named Dan.
Speaker 2: Okay, sideways for her like she doesn't know where? Yeah, hard left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, we know the guy Dan that you met at the b on Fire recently.
Speaker 7: Oh that guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he reached out to us about doing this thing called a second date update. We're trying to help him figure out why after you two hung out at the Mexican restaurant and had a pretty good time together, you are not talking to him anymore?
Speaker 7: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: I think he feels like you really avoided him because you even brought his jacket back to his buddy instead of giving it back to him.
Speaker 7: That was kind of a smooth move, but it kind of backfired.
Speaker 4: Why you said the jacket backfired?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, I put my hand in the pocket when I got home and I found a receipt that was from earlier in the morning, the day of that same party, and it was from a grocery store, but it was for Cotex and Pampons.
Speaker 1: Oh mail product, Yeah, feminine hygie products.
Speaker 3: How you say it?
Speaker 7: I don't even know how to say feminine hygiene products.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're thinking, I mean I would automatically jump to he's in a relationship.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you exactly. So I called my friend who was the host of that party, and I was like, do you know his deal? Like, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And we were like trying to figure it out. Oh, honestly, we have no clue.
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't you just ask him? Then?
Speaker 6: Oh it's a lie.
Speaker 2: If she just asks him.
Speaker 1: But why would he he contacted us a huge public radio show.
Speaker 4: Oh that's kind of over selling it.
Speaker 7: Well, I'd mean, yeah, that would be weird. So I don't know. Maybe you can ask him.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously he had no idea that she would be finding that receipt. He didn't like leave it their own person.
Speaker 1: It was totally innocent, and he doesn't care, like it didn't even cross his mind.
Speaker 2: He has a female roommate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's not like come up with the answers that we're going to give it to him so we could use it. Because he is on the phone right now.
Speaker 2: I thought he was tracking his mother's cycle.
Speaker 7: No wait for radio show or is this like a prank with his friends?
Speaker 4: No, No, he really is listening on the other line waiting to talk to you.
Speaker 7: Are you serious?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dan, this is your moment jumping anytime.
Speaker 6: Hey Becca, So, uh, it's for my mom.
Speaker 1: The way you said, it's really why wouldn't you immediately just say I'm single, I'm so.
Speaker 6: Sorry I am single. And it was for my cousin.
Speaker 4: We just and your voice keeps going up every time you say these things, Dan.
Speaker 6: Okay, it was it was it was for my sister.
Speaker 2: Nokay, now you're not being honest.
Speaker 4: Stop messing around. What's really going on.
Speaker 7: Let's be straight with us.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like that we're together now with a listener.
Speaker 7: We're a unit now.
Speaker 4: O God are well. I'm glad that we have you as a listener now, Becca, But I still want to hear from Dan about what's going on.
Speaker 6: Okay, Hey, you know I said the other people because I'm kind of nervous. I feel like I feel like the real answer is worse in a way, worse.
Speaker 2: Than being in a relationship.
Speaker 6: WHOA, So here's the I am single. Uh, it's relatively recent, Like my ex girlfriend and I still talk and occasionally, like I will go over and see her. And it just so happened that she had asked me before I went to go see her earlier that day, that I stopped at the store and pick up some stuff for her.
Speaker 4: What is His voice didn't go up at the end, though, so that I feel.
Speaker 1: Like when he says recently single, he's like, well, I literally am just texting her right now to bring up with her.
Speaker 2: Why would you be going over to see your ex frequently?
Speaker 6: I mean, because I'm single?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're like friends with benefits now, Like, yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, yeah, that's it pretty much at this point.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you've bended the relationship but haven't fully detached.
Speaker 2: That's messy for beck to join it. Well, does Becky even believe that?
Speaker 1: I mean, do you believe that he's fully single even though I mean.
Speaker 2: Obviously he still has some ties with his ex?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And if you do believe it, how does it make you feel to hear that?
Speaker 7: Well, honestly, I'm kind of in a similar situation.
Speaker 2: There's some truth. So what you're hooking up with your ex too?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm single. He and I are broken up, but occasionally we'll still, you know, like have dinner and oh we've become like friends with benefits.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you guys know each other and you trust each other.
Speaker 1: But having dinner and then staying it sounds like a date, you know, like that's not just.
Speaker 3: A little more intimate romantic than just elevated friends with Benneft.
Speaker 7: Well, I guess my question would be, if you are actively dating someone else, are you still going to be friends with benefits with your ex?
Speaker 6: I mean, if I'm dating someone and we're exclusive, we're exclusive. That's the way it is.
Speaker 2: So are we both giving up our exes to go on another date?
Speaker 4: You should probably introduce your exes to each other because there might be a connection every up.
Speaker 2: Well, they don't want to ruin their fallback plan, Jeff.
Speaker 7: I would definitely be willing to stop seeing my ex if I was dating someone.
Speaker 2: So well, that's cute.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean, wow, Dan, aren't you glad that you didn't stick with your whole sister? Answer? That definitely wouldn't work.
Speaker 6: Yeah, friends, Yeah, I didn't know what she'd think about it. It is the truth, okay.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, in that case, we would like to offer to send you to out on another date, and Becca, if you say yes, we are willing to pay for it.
Speaker 7: Well yes, oh.
Speaker 1: Man, you could be in a relationship soon with a sweet man who will do all of your errand running for you.
Speaker 3: That is nice.
Speaker 7: I do love that. Can we go for massages?
Speaker 6: Wait?
Speaker 2: What do you want us to pay for massages?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Girl, this is like a dinner date.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, dinner date is a better idea.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I was just a little I jumped ahead.
Speaker 1: What gift certificates we had available?
Speaker 4: Then you can be in charge of the massage. Itself, like, right, okay, just don't let any romantic candles around it with that smoke detector.
Speaker 6: That dude, I won't wait until New Years to change the smoke detect batteries for you.
Speaker 4: I don't think she heard that part of the segment, so she doesn't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: That was scared. Yeah, freaking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: I have never seen a random grocery store or receipt bring two people together like this did.
Speaker 2: But I think just say it was tampons that brought them together.
Speaker 4: Really, it's amazing it bonded them. They need to actually like save that receipt, put it up in a picture frame as a keepsake, a reminder of this moment.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, we'll see how easily they cut off their exits before we get into a full relationship for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: It is funny that they were both still messing around with their exes, not just one. They're both guilty of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean when you're single. Yeah they are. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, it is a good life hack for all the ladies out there to get your excees to buy your hygiene products.
Speaker 1: So expensive they are, they're ridiculous, right, Just so you know that's why.
Speaker 4: You want to There you go, you learn something, and we made love happen today. So much good stuff on the show, and there's so much more that you can find online. Wherever you get your podcasts. You can find us at Brook and Jeffrey