Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 3: Thanks take valotility.
Speaker 4: We are the authority on all things R.
Speaker 3: And B ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: My name is Tank Valentine, and this what is it.
Speaker 4: It's the R and B Money Podcast, the authority.
Speaker 1: On all things.
Speaker 5: Who yeah one more time?
Speaker 1: Who yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: See see you wasn't desperate, you know, in your spirit, in your tongue, right, You wasn't in the middle of a desert with lother on your body, sweating your balls off to prove a point. Not only was your eyes ryan, but your skin on your whole body. It's clearing tears. You ain't never done that. You ain't never put on boots with a two piece shots at and turned the rain off.
Speaker 1: On your feet.
Speaker 5: What you've never done it? You ain't never did it.
Speaker 4: You don't sit on the mouth rushmore. It's a godfather, this ship right here, it's one man. It's one man, and that Maine is here. The God. No, yes, sir, not God, the God, the God.
Speaker 3: Created in his image Casey Haley, my god.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Himself, mister Huliah himself.
Speaker 5: Yeah man, what's going on?
Speaker 4: What made what made you do? Oh yeah, let's start with this right there.
Speaker 1: Okay, we can do that. That's real easy. I was. They used to call me like that, a little king, but the guys did like you, I go and I go into booth man just start singing, and I get and I got tired of saying what iut the words of the song and stuff. I just I just put them in. Ooh yeah, it's a feeling. You gotta have that, oh yeah, feeling you could sing. Mary had a little lamb. Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb. Oh yeah, man.
Speaker 2: Man, they do say it's casey jojo right yeah, that's that's like the Holy Trinity.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 4: I just I mean, listen, I just got to say this. And I tell you this all the time, but I can never tell you enough. Thank you man, Thank you man. You have to like like I want you to like to day is the day. You know, I know you humble, you know I know your godfaring man. You give it all back to the Creator. You understand what I'm saying. But when he gives us those gifts, it is up to us to be good stewards over those gifts. It is up for us to develop and nurture and work hard to bring their gifts to their fullness. And you did just that, and in doing so, you created.
Speaker 1: Us for surecire sure sure appreciate.
Speaker 2: No R and B money without you. There's no R and B money without your, not even closer.
Speaker 1: We tried no, no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 4: Today today today can't see you get the pump your ship.
Speaker 1: This is flowers, this is celebration.
Speaker 3: K C Day right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, we did that ship. We did that, Yes, you did. It was on a mission, Oh my god. And number two understood the assignment.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: When we first when we.
Speaker 1: First got together, we always said, we said that we made a pack. We made a vow that we was gonna be the baddest, baddest group that ever came out. Wow, you know what I'm saying. I made a vow like I'm gonna be the most aggressive lead singer that's out there.
Speaker 5: My age. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: My era and uh ay Man and I guess, like I said, we did that ship.
Speaker 4: You damn right, you did it. Let's go back to the beginning case, go ahead. I want to go back to me being a kid in a church somewhere in Wisconsin. I want to say race sing, We'll sing Wisconsin, and we went to see Little Cedric and the Haley singer. Yes man, and I watched y'all run down the middle aisle. You didn't walk down the middle aisle. Oh yeah, for those of y'all who know anything about church, church folk, you don't go down the middle aisle. That is, that's forbidden. You don't walk down the middle church. Been going on the side.
Speaker 5: Next time I go to church, remember that.
Speaker 4: So the usher say, you know, sure you're seeing the ball like he does instructions for the middle hour. Not only did they come down the middle aisle, they ran down the middle aisle to assault the injury Jojo had a ball head and ear rings.
Speaker 3: We said, what in the worldly? What in the fleshy business is.
Speaker 1: Going on there?
Speaker 4: And y'all proceeded, for lack of a better term to talk about gospel music kick ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah man, we had to do that too, man, we did that. So how did that start? Give me Casey and the Hally say, go take me back to the beginning, at the beginning like this, Well, those you don't know it started out and Alltimore and Maryland our professional singing career study in Baltimore, and Maryland. My mom had a group, my dad had a group, and me and Joji would be around house singing all the time. They had a back in those days, they had a Friday night spade parties. Mama and the man had the spade party. I know y'all know about that. But anyway, when our uncles and non they'd be playing spades and all that, me and Jojo will be in the bed sleep with it. Used they thought we were, but we can hear everything that's going on there. But one or two every Friday night and my uncles and they are juiced up now, you know what I'm saying, So they want to hit the little boys sing. So Mama would wake us up, like it'd be like one sometimes two in the morning, wake us up, turn our favorite gospel group on, which was the Gospel Keynotes at the time. You and me and Joe Joja would be Paul Beasley. I would be the lead singer, Willy Neil so and Willy Neil was the one, like the the aggressive one, the lead singer. So they would ask us to make us sing those songs. I remember one night I got bull headed, you know what I'm saying. I got bullheaded and it wont to sing. Man, So believe it or not, my mother, my mother a lover for doing this. Some people these days might ridicule her for doing it. But my mother she went upstairs, got her leather belt, leather belt, and man, that belt kept me singing today. She said, boy, if you don't go downstairs and sing them songs, but them people want you to sing and mine now they was giving me a jojo fifty cents to sing. She said, if you don't get your tail downstairs, she took that belt. Man, she used that belt to this day. I never been shame or shy to open my mouth to sing for nobody. So fast forward, like I said, my mother had a group from Baltimore Female group, and my father had had a male group in Baltimore Quartet. And my mama told my daddy, she said, I think you need to put centric in that group. That boy ready, That boy ain't ready, she said, he ready?
Speaker 5: She said, he ready.
Speaker 1: So she asked me, if you want to be in your daddy group.
Speaker 5: Man, yeah, I want to.
Speaker 1: Be in the group at eleven years old. Who wouldn't, yeah, eleven years old? Then, so my daddy let me in the group. I went to the couple of rehearsals and we did that first gospel you know back in the day call him programs. You know, we did a program. So when I did that, man and my uncle, which was the manager of my dad group, his uncle, so he told my daddy, oh, yeah, that's gonna be our little showstopper. Yeah, we're gonna keep him. So by that time, like I said, my mama had a group. She had to kill a band. So my mama told my daddy, look, I want to take him out your group and I'm gonna get my band because there was more contemporary you know, all that players, young guys. She said, I want to take them out your group, and I'm gonna get rid of my band and let them play for Cedric. Mm hm. So dadd was like, we see how it is. I think the group my daddy group kind of figured what was going on. Cause for me, Daddy and Jojo got to rehearsal, believe it or our tank man, they had our papers waiting on us saying we fired.
Speaker 5: Oh y'all was getting kicked out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got kicked out when they found out that, you know, little Cedric and the Haley things was about.
Speaker 2: But did they kick you and George? They kick your daddy out here, and yeah, hold on you and your son, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You and your sons out the group just because of that. So my DAD'SID, okay, cool, we got this. They handed you papers. They handles papers a rehearsal when we walked in.
Speaker 5: That's crazy, you know.
Speaker 1: I cried like a baby man. Look eleven years old getting fired. Come on now, when something I love to you want to do. But though it was God's playing, of course it wasn't their plans. Because at the next day, here we are, my mom and dad telling me one of it. We got my Mama said Timmy. Then Timmy them gonna play for you now. So I'm like half because Timmy, though they was young, they was funky, you know, so I'm like cool. That was the birth a Little Cedric and the Haley Singers signed a gospel record label, which is Air Records. Now, so I got that deal twelve years old. Did our recording man and Little Cedric and Haley Singers blew up? I mean we blew up in the court TP Field man. I would like to they would call me the Michael Jackson of gospel and during that time. Yeah, and during that time, my rival was a little boy from Washington, d C. He had his group from DC. So Baltimore had they little boy which is a little Cedric and that little boy I'm talking about. I mean we went next to neck, neck to the neck.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: One night was his night. Next night was not my night, that little boy it was Johnny Gill.
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't know.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, man. Man and Johnny talked about it all the time. We talked about the all the time. Johnny will come to Baltimore. He'll try to make it hard for me in my Town's okay, all right, I gotta go to I gotta go to d C.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come see you.
Speaker 2: So this is like twelve thirteen for so he's been browling for a long time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, man, Johnny, we've been in the game together, in the game a long time, man, a long time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Man. Johnny was way back, man, forty some years ago.
Speaker 5: So was your father in and haleying Halle sing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he came. He got him some songs off til Too, off the albums too.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You know, well, and then Jojo Jojo was like this. He's still like this to this day. He don't let y'all see it. We had to beg Jojo to sing m We had to beg Jojo to then they had to do it. Now you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But one of the coldest vocals whoever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Jojo then he got into it, man, And he had this couple of songs on the albums and all that, but Jojo always knew he would tell them and then I'm gonna do that, man. That's that's cedgic man. Jojo. Jojo was more like he was a rough He was a rough neck. Joja wanted to go outside and play football while I'm in rehearsal ten hours a day in the bass hot basement right after school. Got to go down to the basement and rehearse for the album. And so Jojo outside playing and if he got a song, he'll come in and do his little song, go right back outside and play. I'm still in there because I'm so I'm I'm hungry at the age of twelve, I'm hungry, man. But it all worked out good. So that's how the Haley Singers started.
Speaker 3: Man, it was your first song that took out, took.
Speaker 1: Off, Uh, Jesus saved and then born again with the second cold. That's it. That was it right there. I was like, we used to call it in we call it drive. That was what was your cross? Yeah?
Speaker 3: That was that?
Speaker 1: That was our drive, right And then from then on, man, it's just we did those. We did three albums under the Little c the Haley Singers, and then the family moved back to North Carolina.
Speaker 3: And then what made you guys move?
Speaker 1: Well, what made us move is really I think I think my mom and parents was ready to move back down south because we had lived in Baltimore for what wow, we lived in Baltimore for like thirteen years, you know what I'm saying. So, but they wanted to move back down south, and of course they took the kids with us. So we went down there, and still we still had the Hailee Singers going. We still was traveling. The group had busted up, but we still you know, hire some new new musicians and backup singers and everything for Little Cedric, so we're still going. So and then and and and it was God, man, it was God, because I.
Speaker 3: Was I was.
Speaker 1: I left North Carolina and went to Baltimore. I was gonna do a reunion with Little Cedric and the Haley Singers with the original all original members. This is a seventeen It's like just like seventeen eighteen, one of them. So while I'm while I'm in Baltimore, Jokeren didn't go with me. So while I'm in Baltimo, more Jojo plays a song for me over the phone. By this time, Jojo, you know he didn't go back to Baltimore with me. So I'm listening on the phone. I'm like, Jojo, who is that? It's yo, man, It's just it's this guy. Ain't done man, we've been doing music together. Man, you can't be in this group. Nah. Now this is just me and done this, Me and done su this, me and done. So. So then I go back to now I go. I meant, before I go to Baltimore, I'm in I rehearsal hard with Let's at the Canale Singers. So some girls they came over to visit us. Just before I went to the boy, I skipped all that, but some girls brought some guys.
Speaker 5: To our studio.
Speaker 1: I was dating one of the girl, but calling myself dating and Jojo was talking to one of them. So they brought out They said, well, we want to meet y'all some We want y'all to meet some brothers. You know, they got their own church and and and they doing their thing. They tight on the music. Man, they good, y'all need to meet on y'all. Who are they? So when they walked in and they brought the guys in, so all that first thing I see is my girlfriend and got these guys behind her. So immediately I'm not feeling I'm not feeling it. So and I see one of them going to the studio what the recording part was at the studio we had, and I hear a piano play. Now by this time, me and this guy that Joe was in the room with. Man, his brother is about to go at it. I mean guns down, really guns down. So anyway, were like, he's like, yo, what's going on? Man? Like y'all you're telling me what's going on?
Speaker 3: Y'all?
Speaker 1: Walking with my girl? Man, I mean, who are y'all? Who are y'all? So then I hear it. I hear keep it up. A keyboard playing and I hear my brother singing. I'm like, oh, I have my voice. I have my brother voice, but who is that.
Speaker 5: Plan that keyboard?
Speaker 1: And his brother said, that's what I was trying to tell you. We're the guys that they wanted to introduce us to. Y'all. I was like, who who are you'all? I'm Dalving and that's my brother. Yeah, he said, I'm Dalving and that's my brother.
Speaker 5: Done.
Speaker 1: I said, y'all are the great boys? Like yeah, yo, man. We dismissed the girl, like, want to see what's going on?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: Work God?
Speaker 3: Where?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 1: I said, I see you moving. So by that time, you know that we met each other and met each other, hung out a little bit, and then like I said, now I can go back to Baltimore because I thought that I was gonna work out, like that's gonna flu So I go to Baltimore. I'm trying to get my group back together. Jojo caused me, and and he's playing something on the on the on the phone. I said, Yo, that's how good was that? He said, Yo, that's being done? Man? I said, for real, y'all did that? He said yeah? I said, yeah, Man, it's tight. I said, man, that's that's I like that, bro. If I don't even think about it, stay in Baltimore, get your hatey singings together. Yeah, I got my yeah, so I said, nah, Man, So immediately immediately I called my mom, I call my daddy. That so ready to come home. I'm ready to come home. I told her. Haley singers, Hey, look y'all, I'm going back to Charlotte.
Speaker 3: I can't tell you why.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you about it, but you're here about it. But you're here about it. And by that time I got home, man, and by that time, Jojo jojo heed it, jojo heed it, and then all you started yelling. So then we Jojo really didn't want you in the group. No, and Davante didn't want Dalvin.
Speaker 3: I love this, Yeah, this is great.
Speaker 1: I didn't want Davin, so Jojo made it. But Jojo wanted Dalvin, Dvante wanted me. So Jojo was like this now Jojo Jojo playing that card. If you want my brother, Lee saying.
Speaker 4: You got your brother and the group yeah yeah yeahs.
Speaker 1: And vice versa. So if you want Dalvin in, you know, yeah, I need Yeah. So we got together, man, talked about it that you go we do. We started doing demos, Man. We were demo at at the church. Man. We would do demos at the church, like time we share those songs like that and like the chords, like the chords Davante. A lot of that stuff was written in church at Dvante's dad church man. So against Davante's dad got tired of it, you know, he got tired all that secular music been played at the church. So what we did, we didn't tell me and Jose didn't tell our parents. We had a basement, right and this thing, you know, Divante, my dad and my mother they see Dvanute loading there in like fifteen ten or fifteen keyboards, hooking everything up in their basement, you get, you know what I'm saying. By that time, they didn't know what. They knew we was doing music, but they didn't know what he was doing it for. Because my daddy that I don't know what that boy doing down there. But all out here is a lot of.
Speaker 3: That sound.
Speaker 1: You know, that sound is slapping on the keyboards, but he had his headphones on. By that Vante was doing Joess's demo. He did that. We did that for like a year. We got our son, we got.
Speaker 5: Like jodas he yet though or what like when did when do you guys.
Speaker 1: When we find out we were Jodasy. When we when we well, we knew that we had something, and we were standing in our we were sitting in our mother our parents yard, man, and and we're like, what name can we?
Speaker 5: We need a name?
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: Now it's all four but we're good. Now we're tight.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: You know, we need a name, man, we need a name. So I came up with brothers, and I think Darvin came up with some things. And then and then Davante was like, hey, man, when we just put our name together, man, Jojo Divonte Jarvin.
Speaker 5: Case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just put Joe d and see mm hmm, Jodasy man Jodasy joseh. I guess, said Josy Jodasy, Jodasy Jodasy. I don't know, man, that sounds too biblical. But but at the end of the day, we had a vote. We had a vote with Jodas it is. Then we got on sound, man, We got on sound. Won't be no producers, none of that. So I'm telling y'all the boss man like, just get your boss. So when it got Drake, Drake came in there. The song that Kirk was playing was come and talk to Me then he play the song he was playing Yeah, Then he played stay, then he played then they played.
Speaker 5: I'm Still waiting.
Speaker 1: Then all this on demo what oh man? Then he played back in the day, every moment that was just don't hear this, just don't hear all this on the demos b so dre Light, dre Light, Hold up, y'all tell me that's y'all. Yeah, that's up. Ye what you're talking me? Yes, us, I don't believe it, no doubt, okay, okay, believe this.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I stood up, I stopped singing the verses. Yeah, I got the put with me. You know that, I said, I said, okay, that's good. We started singing, did a little jealousy, you know, did jodosy little little little thing we'll be doing, singing about Judge. Yeah that and then you know, I did come and talk to me. I sung a little song and you know, and by that time Heavy came here.
Speaker 5: Rest in peace.
Speaker 1: Heavy stuck his head in the door. He said, Dre, come in. From what I hear. Heavy told Dre if you don't sign him, I get him. By that time, I know Dre. He came back in the door, said Yo, So where y'all staying where y'all staying at. We ain't got nowhere to stay.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You know we out the money. The same guy that was sleeping on us his and no man, Kurk willy, he said, Kirk, uh pay for the rest of the room, the hotel room for the rest of the route group for the rest of the week. Take care of this group for the rest of the week. Uh, come on, y'all, we're going out to dinner. And Kirk, by the way, you assigned to them for the rest of this week.
Speaker 5: First, I know you don't like him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, since you can't here, since you're going here for the rest of the week, for the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: So by that time and then you know, we had that dinner and and get back to the hotel. Yo, we gave Kurk would leave hell man. Yeah, we gave him hell that day that whole week. Man, it was like we've been in the bsiness for years.
Speaker 7: Yo, we want this. You ain't doing your job. You ain't doing you heard what Andre said, Yo, yump. We turned into jodessy right then.
Speaker 1: And then and then when I get back to the hotel, I jumped up up and down on my bed. Man jumped up and down on my bed. Everybody, man, we was crying and all that, and I called him my pop. That's a daddy. We gotta deal. You gonna give me that truck I want? Yeah, And you know they got out. They sent by Celeston, which was a lawyer for the label. So they sent them down with us back to New York, I mean, back to North Carolina and get some intern term agreements made up and all that. And Davante fathers and his lawyer looked over, our parents looked over, said yes, legit, it's legit. It's it's a legit deal that they said, they want to do business with your sons. I think it's a good look. And we're talking today. And then we took the world by storm man. What Dre did by getting al in and like on some of the cuts co produced with Davante, what he did was put that picture in a frame.
Speaker 3: You give you what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's all he did. Put that picture in a fresh fe get that fine tune.
Speaker 3: Needs because.
Speaker 1: And then he had a night and day, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Then he already knew how to make records.
Speaker 1: There you go, there, you go Davante. He he knew exactly what he's doing. He knew it. But like I said, you want to you know, you know, put that put a coat and put the lack on it. You know what I'm saying, that's all And that's what I'll I'll be dead and and all. And DeVante worked there. You know, they bumped head but of course they had that ego. But then he got you know, and he just had it like I gotta listen. We told her you gotta listen, man, you gotta listen to him.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: And I had.
Speaker 1: R exactly exactly and so and and then when Al came in with that mature lyric like mine. Now everybody think Ill wrote Forever my Lady? What all did Forever my Lady was already written. Fether Lady was already written before. Like I said, we had before we got a deal. What our diad was? He put that that version in. You know that that kind of messed by At first. It messed my head up. When it's so you're having my baby, We're like, whoa whoa whoa.
Speaker 5: Whoa whoa whoa.
Speaker 3: I wasn't ready to give him a baby yet.
Speaker 8: No, got my deal. I just got my deal, no child support. Why that's the way, And that's that's that.
Speaker 1: Really, y'all. That's what really, really, really, I think set us apart from a lot of younger.
Speaker 5: With nobody we're talking about.
Speaker 4: That nobody was saying. Nobody was saying, nobody was saying. I mean, they might have saying, they might have been saying, somebody's having my baby. Somebody might have been having a conversation, but they weren't saying right behind it, and it needs.
Speaker 2: So much to me, Yeah, ship nineteen when somebody having your baby, trying.
Speaker 4: To you're trying to figure sure, yeah, sure, sure, yeah, I saw what's it?
Speaker 1: Ain't computing?
Speaker 3: You know, y'all used to talk. You know what I'm saying, don't mean that much to me.
Speaker 1: You don't mean that much. Befall the rest of the lyrics, Man Devon Penn is sick with the stay and come and talk to me, and that I'm still waiting, and that you and ies and my heart belongs to you, the feelings and the freaking us that that's all.
Speaker 4: D hold on, let's stop right here, let's let's stop right here. Okay, God to love his the streets got.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I was like, Okay, I don't know why they singing this hard on this up tempo, but I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it. And then what that Forever my ladies?
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, because there's a period where as new artists, you know, you're opening, you're doing venues, and maybe it's just you for a radio show, it's maybe two hundred people, three people. But there's gotta be a moment where when that Forever my Lady hits that you see the difference from that two hundred and this small radio shows and the openings to the venues getting at sure he's going to the thousands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, you know you know where I'm going. I want to know what he bought, but I got come on, man, I want to know when.
Speaker 1: You first tore it? What what did I get? I gotta I gotta. I gott a BMW, man, see what it was? I got a BMW Jojo gotta bm J Dialvin gotta be in w that damn de Vune. He brought her something crazy and they gotta.
Speaker 2: Lama, y'all be as cool.
Speaker 4: Man got to get the lamb on him.
Speaker 1: He just stop at one. You got like a couple of them, man. That was That was that was the first tour, the.
Speaker 3: First tour, man, Who's the first tour?
Speaker 1: First to Hammer MC Hammer and then and then and then we broke off from that and then we did on Jodicy tour which was jo Toasy and Mary and I think it was on that tour with us, I think, and I wanted to say Biggie, but I don't want to but did Yeah, I think it was Biggie. Yeah, yeah, they were they was openness, yeah, Joasy, Yeah, man we Josey was that Joasy, We were that well.
Speaker 5: It was crazy.
Speaker 3: So give me, give me the give me the puff player.
Speaker 1: Oh when pop okay, give me. That goes back to when Puff was doing when Papa was intern. So Puff was like it was to the street. I'm gonna tell you how I got in love.
Speaker 5: Came in and puffing as Dre.
Speaker 1: Yo. You told Dre said, Yo, you shouldn't because d was gonna come out the first single. He would come, come and talk to me forever, my lady. So Puff told him, no, Dre, don't do that. I want to do that. If I was you, I would put them out with God of Love that song God of Love man. So Dre like, why would you do that we didn't even want to do that, and why, he said, because the video concept could be like they could be dressed like you know, you know in the hood, you know, with the boots, the little thuggish or whatever. So that got of Love was set the world up, you know, because they didn't want Dre even said that, Dre really he really, he told us, I don't want y'all. We told Dre, we don't want like no boys to man, not no, you know, just some boys.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: We didn't want to We didn't want want it like that. Even Puffs said, yo, man, you don't want them like boys men in suits. You don't want them in suits, man, he said. Puff told us that, yo, man, when I see them, when I see them, man, I want to see them like four of my homeboys on the corner singing the girls and stuff like that, you know, on the stoop singing the girls.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So Puff's I think you should come out with God of Love first and be like just have on it like some hip hop gear on. So I thought Puff's gonna get fired for that, man. But then after we heard what Puff I did was, yeah, Dre, I think we should go God to Love man. So God of Love work. And what it really did is set a tone so the world could see, Okay, you put everybody on this, Yeah, this is how they're gonna be looking. This, how they're gonna dress, they're gonna have on their boots, they're gonna have on their vests, chase in their baseball cap. So that really set the world up. But once again, I think you said it like when they when they saw sing from My Lady, they probably said, oh, that's that croup that got on the yellow and in that video with the boots and stuff. Okay, we get it, that's them, And that really set us apart from thumb Boys to men and whatever groups that was coming out the same time.
Speaker 2: Which is genius stuff because most time in this business, and we all know this, we've been in this game a long time, when something works, everybody does the exact same. There you're going because it's.
Speaker 5: The cheek hode.
Speaker 1: It can get you, it can get you in, It can get you in.
Speaker 3: It might not keep you in.
Speaker 2: But for you guys to be the polar opposite made so much sense. Yeah, and for for Puff to be an intern at the time recognize that, Yeah, he was already showing that he was a.
Speaker 4: Taste maker and the other other genius in it too, in it being polar opposite is that now you're immediately in a conversation with some guys that are already selling millions of records. So it's like now it's like, oh, what's what's getting.
Speaker 3: Ready to happen? Yeah? Yeah, now it's two, ain't just one? There.
Speaker 4: We got some guys over here that they come in the bad became the bad Boys Army, so we got the good guys in the bad.
Speaker 3: Who who you want to go see? Right? Who you want to go see?
Speaker 5: That's great?
Speaker 2: And I'm a church kid, so like, so did you know of Obviously you knew.
Speaker 4: Of Little but I didn't know that Little Cedric and the Haley singers with your You didn't know that. Had no idea. I had no idea until I got out of high school and did some research and I was like, well, because I got you, I got your sets, you know what I'm saying. So once I made that connection, I said, that's why it makes so much sense to me. So for me, I started being Jo tosy in church. Okay, I started sounding like y'all in church. I would go to visiting churches and play and you know, add my divante cors and all that like this, you're like one man jodusyud, God bless you.
Speaker 1: Because because.
Speaker 4: As much as I loved boys to men who were you know, I mean ultimately just talented, just a freaking.
Speaker 1: Charge, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I was drawn so much to that feeling that was so familiar to me. The core struct, the vocal arrangement, the arrangement and how that like I come from that, I come from courtet that you go Baptist kojic and I was like, that's in there.
Speaker 1: And we definitely coach it. That's in there, definitely coach it. So it it made my soul happy. Yeah, I want to shout. I wanted to shouts came off. So y'all don't hear this, y'all don't want to lift no offering I got if you change a few some words, if you change words our song, guys.
Speaker 3: Talk to the law.
Speaker 1: You can have an altar call, yeah, can instrumental.
Speaker 3: You can. Let me ask you a question, did the commission have any.
Speaker 1: Most definitely commission the whinings and then you know, and I had my quartet groups. You know, the gospel, keynotes, the volunteers, you name, the quartest man, I was a hardcore quartet. But then like in the late eighties, I started listening to like, like I said, Commission in the Whinings, you know those cats Clark Sisters, you know, And I'm like, okay, and that's what we did. But think about it. When we got an R and B, when we got in RB Man, we were. However, Jose's you really really really got our sound. Jojo was the deal in Babyface fanatic. M m okay listen the late the late nineties, I mean, Davante was fanatics of God.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: So what we do is if Joe to sleeping in one room, this is not my mom house. Now, Joe to sleep in one room, He'll go to sleep with all Babyface in the in the Deal stopped playing in his cassette player, I mean Avante in another room. We're going to sleep listening to Teddy, Teddy and er. So I'm in the vante like, okay, I'm doing Teddy, I'm doing Teddy.
Speaker 5: Ship. You just some a ship mm hmm. Okay, so this is all late ladies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what we did we combined the wines commission guy in the deal and the deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it all makes sense.
Speaker 1: And then we made and plus we had of course we had Jodasy.
Speaker 5: It was so aggressed. Yeah, if you can hear it, man.
Speaker 4: It was like I tell people all the time. Everybody's like, yeah, it's you hit him, jousy army.
Speaker 5: I said, yeah, I hear you.
Speaker 2: But that's your way of saying, you don't here, you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't because it's just nice to me. I'll be like, this ain't no jous.
Speaker 4: Here's here's two things right, because it's it's too two things. First of all, you can try the arrangement, right, but the but the vocal, the casey and and Jojos vocal are so distinctive that she'll never you'll never have that combination of tone make it what it is. And two, the misconception of anybody, from groups to anybody trying to be Joalasy is that they confuse.
Speaker 5: The fashion with the music. With the music.
Speaker 2: Y'all was making love, man, y'all screaming. Start treat them like they're supposed to be treating y'all are screaming that though, screaming that screaming forever, my lady screaming stay.
Speaker 5: Those are all love to know.
Speaker 1: What that's stay church, that's coach.
Speaker 4: That sounds like sometimes yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the way we stack our stuff.
Speaker 3: How many stack give me the stacks?
Speaker 5: Come on?
Speaker 4: Give me because y'all on the on the board, y'all on tape, y'all on real too, y'all y'all using the whole y'all using.
Speaker 2: To man flying over No nah nah, I want to say, on one note, give me how many how many times you stacked one note?
Speaker 1: One note?
Speaker 3: One note?
Speaker 1: The melody Davante will have a stack.
Speaker 5: On one note.
Speaker 1: The least man this might sound crazy, Man Davante would have us clus to ten.
Speaker 5: Ten stacks on one note.
Speaker 4: I believe every word you sing. I believe every word you were saying, yeah, yeah, say.
Speaker 2: About during y'all stacks? Are y'all trying to match the note? Are y'all just singing it with a different feel every time? Because that's the other thing.
Speaker 5: People go in.
Speaker 2: And you stacking, stack and stacking, and you're trying to make all the notes sound identical.
Speaker 1: But sometimes we'll be like we'll do like, uh, we do like five, Like tonight we do like five.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The sixth times other to know, you know, just.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very yeah, yeah, yeah, so it just feeling those yeah, those sonic holes and panem PanAm all. You know, I ain't stacking enough, That's what he's just saying. You're not stacking enough enough. Stacks, you gotta stack. Ain't no ass on your background, that's what he's saying.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: As far as as far as.
Speaker 1: Harmonies arrangements, see DeVante plays chords all five fingers. Yeah, so we gotta, man, Jojo gotta sing every note every that he's playing ship and then Jojo going there. He's that's one thing about Jojo. He's so creative. Jojo just dropped something in there. Even when we record, he'll just drop something something for you fall off, yeah, yeah, yeah, keep that and yeah, keep doing next thing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: That's a harmony. Yeah, and that's a harmony.
Speaker 1: So you know, man, sometimes we have like what some people lose, use five part harmonies. Man, we'll we'll make it away. We can use six or seven absolutely, because like mine, now we got the regulars, we got the regular notes. Now mine, Davante gonna play five chords. You know, he's gonna play five chords on the harmonies and then like I said, the extra stuff that Jojo would do, and you know that that it's just you gotta be in one of our sessions. Man, you'll be like, whoa.
Speaker 4: You know, the first time I got a I gotta just maybe even a slight glimpse of it was working Virginiaine. Okay, okay, he will know he came from that school and I watched him.
Speaker 1: Stack stack stacks.
Speaker 4: He got different d and he was like he was like. I was like, I was like, you're doing the same note again. He said, Nah, I'm doing it a little different this time. Watch when I watch what I do at the end, I'm like, oh, okay, okay, he said, all right, now give me, give me, give me three more of a whispered ease.
Speaker 5: Should I just tell you that? Yeah, what are you doing? Yeah?
Speaker 1: The whole thing before you came from the school absolutely came from the school.
Speaker 3: So that was my first glimpse. Yeah, that much stacking.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Timberland too, Yeah, it came from the school. Okay, here we go, Like I said, we did that ship.
Speaker 4: No, you can say that as many times as you want to. I want to get to I want to get the Diary of a Mad band.
Speaker 1: Come.
Speaker 4: I want to know first why Diary of a Mad Band? Why that title.
Speaker 1: Diary of a Mad Band? I didn't like it at first, and then I started realizing. We came back with it, we met Davante, but that second we were we was mad.
Speaker 5: What were all mad about? Just mad?
Speaker 8: Mad?
Speaker 5: Was it was so? Wasn't was it connected to the businesses?
Speaker 4: Was?
Speaker 1: No, It wasn't connected to the business. It was just we were just mad. We wanted to be like, yo, okay, we're getting out of that. Okay, we people think we're soft.
Speaker 3: We're mad.
Speaker 1: We're trying to get mad. That's right to the album cover like that with shirts off with Van and Dobbin and we had the boost and stuff off and all that, all that boost on. We were just I was gonna sit ourselves a mad band. Mad don't mean you know, we have attitude. I mean, we got attitude, but we want to let y'all know we're more than just an R and B band. You know we you know, our conrollers too, were mad.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: We got attitude and all that.
Speaker 1: We didn't care.
Speaker 3: We was mad.
Speaker 1: We didn't give a damn. We wanted to change the face of R and B.
Speaker 5: Yeah, y'all did that. Y'all did that.
Speaker 1: So and all the songs we put on that album man Ship.
Speaker 5: We didn't care.
Speaker 4: YEA little mad brother said, you just comentast sound good, you know in your travels and this R and B thing, this gospel thing, being a tighten yourself. They are definitely people m HM.
Speaker 1: And songs.
Speaker 3: That inspired this great man. Okay, see, we want to know your.
Speaker 4: Top five, your top five, top f.
Speaker 1: H, your top five R and B singer? What else love man be song?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Can I see your top? Can I see yo?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: SUNet yom?
Speaker 3: We want to know.
Speaker 1: We want to know your top yeah, wow, yeah h your top.
Speaker 6: We did you didn't laughing fuck top daddy?
Speaker 5: Merse see now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Your top FI now or R and B singers of all time, all time, R and B, R and B gospel, your world, your top five singers, no particularly they can be whatever you want, whatever you want it to be. Marvin Wyers talk to talk m hm, Steve Won, Marvin Gay.
Speaker 1: My personals you want me to I came from Uncle Charlie in Tank and Front.
Speaker 5: I feel like I feel like you just hit a game with the Three brothers.
Speaker 1: I'm not crying.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not Jacob. Hold up, I'm not saying that because.
Speaker 5: You're sitting right here. Man.
Speaker 1: I don't saying that because every time when now you sing, man, it's like, Man, my mama like you, and she told me tell you how to better better tell a little squinchy eye boy. That that was this morning when you told me that anyway you your style, man, is like, I know they're trying to do this. I've heard things about artists coming out they gonna be the new, they gonna be the new that from my era, my era, and the way your performance is you that new Marvin.
Speaker 3: Person. That's just me.
Speaker 1: Wow, don't have to be with you. Don't have to be with the way you sing or y'all know, y'all got different styles, but your your your or you know. It's like when I saw you on the on the on on a New Addition tour, I said, Yoe, that's that's a new Marvin ship right there. And y'all did y'all think too? I saw that, Man, I love but that's how I feel about you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're on my top five the show. I ain't gonna better tell this niggas your arrangement, you know all that, man, all that. People just don't know. And see they're not from well we're from They wouldn't get it. I get it.
Speaker 4: You know you're done sucked up right. I need wipers, I need bathers. Somebody feeding me grapes. Yeah, you heard what you did? You hear what you gotta or you got.
Speaker 1: You James, because like yo, that's not marble like he right there.
Speaker 4: I love you for that, brother, because you you are, you are in my DNA. Yeah, man, And I appreciate that. Case of your top five R and B.
Speaker 1: Songs, anything from the songs and the was a Kid of Life, anything from.
Speaker 5: That, anything but that anyone that's one.
Speaker 1: Wildflower? No, you're going there for New Bird? Oh yeah?
Speaker 5: Are you going there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, Newbird of course definitely, Barbie wo mack. If you think you lonely, now, why not Johnny had to wait song for you? Oh my god, that's what fo Yeah, that's what we need.
Speaker 5: One more more. I mean as song as a Kid of Life. We got thirty seven the hours, so really we have forty.
Speaker 1: But I gotta say this, y'all, sorry forever, my lady.
Speaker 3: Why not why not.
Speaker 5: It has to be.
Speaker 1: It has to be. It has to be, My lady, that's it. That song right there, it's like every time I sing that song, I just I forgets it's me.
Speaker 5: M hmm, I forget it's me.
Speaker 3: So how good it is?
Speaker 5: What song do you get tired of singing? If there's any what song.
Speaker 1: Is you like?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 1: Here we go with this one again. I put my all in.
Speaker 3: To everything that I sing.
Speaker 1: And I and I enjoy them so much till I really really don't get tired of singing none of them, because every time I sing them, I get a different feeling. I don't. I don't approach them the same way.
Speaker 4: Your voltron, it's called a voltron, it's called your super R and B artists, we're gonna get You gotta get the vocal from somebody. You gotta get the performance style from somebody. You gotta get the styling from somebody, And you gotta get the passion, the heart of the artist from somebody to.
Speaker 3: Make your ultimate R and B singer. Who are you getting that vocal from?
Speaker 5: Marvin Wys.
Speaker 1: Who are getting the performance style from the style on stage performance? I get my style in casey, come on, come, on. I try, I try to be nice today today.
Speaker 4: Okay, can we got Casey performance style? We've got Marvil Wat's on the vocals, kting aggressive. Who getting the styling from the drip of the artists? What they what they what they're putting on?
Speaker 1: Doland, come with our clothes.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: We're going who you're thinking.
Speaker 3: I feel like who were dressing? I feel like.
Speaker 4: Jon Ship style from your damnself.
Speaker 1: There you go, Ship. But right now you know I have help, you know, God bless me with my beautiful wife. So she got good. She got a good taste. Keep you make sure help me keep your come on rib. She makes sure, yes, my rib come on rib. So she helped me right now now she said, baby, you ain't wearing that. No, no, you ain't doing that. I mean she had me have a fitting session every night before I walk out the door.
Speaker 3: I love it who you get in the heart of the artists, from the passion of the artists.
Speaker 2: The passion of it, like like just I love it. They love what they're doing, and like putting all in James making the crowd sweat, Prince.
Speaker 1: Michael, okay, all of them. Stevie's that list is along.
Speaker 3: Can you pick one or you need all four?
Speaker 5: Let me pick one. I sweat man.
Speaker 1: I was just talking about this too today on the way over here.
Speaker 5: James Brown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no argument, no argument, you know what I mean? No, No, I'm not arguing at at all. I heard stories of where James Brody used to laugh laugh at people's performances, like that's all y'all got.
Speaker 3: That's all y'all. Yeah, that's all y'all gonna do and get out there and proceed to sweat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, four hour and a half sweat.
Speaker 3: We got one more segment for you, brother.
Speaker 4: Oka se mm hmmm, one more segment. The rules of this segment. I ain't saying no names. I ain't saying no names. I ain't saying no names. I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 5: Where you was, what you did?
Speaker 1: Don't say she, I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 5: He'll be here all week. I'm all weak?
Speaker 3: Is that so right? Now?
Speaker 5: Talk to him?
Speaker 2: We got a special segment of the show. It's called I ain't saying no names. Will you tell us a story?
Speaker 3: Funny?
Speaker 5: Are fucked up? Are funny and fucked up? Okay? The only rule to the game is you can't say no names. Okay, you reckon, let's go.
Speaker 3: This is case.
Speaker 5: Mister ooh yeah, who yeah, however the hell you want to sing it.
Speaker 1: Himself?
Speaker 5: I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 1: That's so many man, Damn, y'all gotta go into archive.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: We're in London. M hmm. I like this. All restaurant good.
Speaker 1: And the VIP section matter our business. Anybody just chilling James Floyd fans good, it feating, it's good. All of a sudden, that bitch keep looking over at you. Oh she's looking again.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: We got to get down the club.
Speaker 5: I ain't saying on that. I thought I was some by standing.
Speaker 1: She's looking at me.
Speaker 5: Somebody got knocked out for looking at Casey. I didn't do nothing. I don't know who that is.
Speaker 3: I use that fact.
Speaker 1: We're in London.
Speaker 5: We're in London.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know who. I don't know nobody.
Speaker 3: But I use that to.
Speaker 1: Take I didn't We all wain atleta at who that is. I don't get your hand. What you do, don't do it no more. They pursue you. Oh man, listen, man, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Night.
Speaker 1: I got to fight to prove my love.
Speaker 3: Lord, brother, Casey, my brother.
Speaker 4: I just want to tell you from from my heart, from his heart, from every R and B singer, gospel singer, that his singer, songwriter, producer, a former that has come up under the sound of your voice. We we have been truly, we have truly been blessed by your existence. Thank you by your continued pursuit of perfection, by your life journey.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: You're up and you're down, and you powering through to still be here with us right here forty years to this day.
Speaker 5: That's including with.
Speaker 3: It all matters.
Speaker 4: You've you've you've you've created a legacy for yourself that includes all of us. So as you are proud of, you know, the accomplishments that you're directly a part of, you know what I mean, as you stand on those stages and as you stand behind those microphones, also accept the credit. You know, when me and this guy stand on those stages and stand behind those microphones and get on those pianos and entertain those crowds.
Speaker 5: That's that's that.
Speaker 4: We have a song called what That's that's really on my olbum. That's that's mindset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So.
Speaker 4: Take that credit as well. That is also yours and we will your your your name is, your name is in the annals. Thank you history of my brother. Appreciate a foundational building block. I appreciate everything we do and everything that R and B will ever be.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. Man. Thank you man. I just want to thank you, guys, man for really by you saying that, lets me know there's more than four members of Jodasy. Absolutely, you know what I'm saying. Absolutely, those other members side the four are the people that love us, people that support us, people that pay for our tickets to go and see us live in concert.
Speaker 5: That's Joe.
Speaker 1: Those the real Jodases. You know what I'm saying, You guys, y'all are real Joses because we once for y'all, y'all our heartbeat and Joe can't live without a heartbeat, and that goes out to y'all. Wow.
Speaker 5: I feel like Martin at the Varneille Hill Show right now.
Speaker 1: Martin is funny and back to you since we got all that.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love you for everything. Man, Ja Valentine, love you, but you.
Speaker 5: Pupone to pick with you? Come on, I called you.
Speaker 1: That's a tank. You know you know that's my mom doing this, doing this album.
Speaker 4: Man. You know.
Speaker 1: I would love for you to be on my be on this album from me, Tank, I need you right out?
Speaker 4: What what? What?
Speaker 5: What's your need?
Speaker 3: Man? Thank?
Speaker 1: I mean I need that tear jerker that I needed that, I need that.
Speaker 5: On this album. Tank, I got you, mister.
Speaker 2: Durrell, I said, where's his song? I said that I have scooed over inside Talking Ship. Where a song that I have templates? What's your name on it? Are you sure, absolutely, Mama.
Speaker 3: That I had.
Speaker 4: I had just started just putting ideas together and and I cannot think of why or what happened within that time to get me out of focus. So first, apologies, no no no, no, no, no no no, I have to have to issue that because I said, I got you.
Speaker 3: That's my word.
Speaker 4: So in in in honor of this chastisement of you pulling out the belt and spanking me on my own podcast, you tell me when it it's done, You tell me how soon you need it, and we're gonna get it turned around.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: Get back into Carolina's next week. I'm gonna give you a call. I get back on Monday. All right, let's rek os something next week done?
Speaker 3: You heard.
Speaker 5: People heard it?
Speaker 4: Now if I can't find Casey next week because he disappeared last that.
Speaker 1: Was.
Speaker 2: That was men can fight, can find anybody, collagistics, collagistics.
Speaker 3: That's done. That's done.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 1: I understand, though, Man, you gotta think about it. Hey, man, this this this, this game is very busy in this game. So I get it.
Speaker 3: No, but you gotta you know, you gotta make you gotta certain things you have to make a priority.
Speaker 1: But I really, really, really, really really really I think that touch of Tank, but I think I think I will have a winner done.
Speaker 5: Go make a winner. It's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Let's go app Okay, there it is my word.
Speaker 4: There it is, ladies and gentlemen, Tank Valentine And this is the Army Money podcast, the authority on all things R and B, everything everything R and B.
Speaker 3: And we have truly truly been blessed to have all things R and.
Speaker 5: D in the building. Mist the case.
Speaker 1: Love, your love, your love, your level, your love. Yeah, I've R and B Money.
Speaker 2: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio, app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at j Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com or slash r and b money