Speaker 1: Welcome back to D Boy and Joe. I'm your host, James D. Bo Harrison. I'm here with my co hosts Joe Hayden. Please make sure your life and subscribe. You don't want to miss nothing.
Speaker 2: How you're doing the day, Joe bro I'm doing I'm doing pretty good. Debo, I'm doing good. Another day the Lord has made. But honestly, with Coach T stepping off, you know, it was I was a little I was a little emotional. I'm happy if we're gonna get into it. I'm happy with how it happened and how he's able to walk away. But you know, I legitimately, you know what I'm saying that it hit me for a little bit.
Speaker 3: But I rock with Coach T big time.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, with with all the you know, all the stuff coming out. You know, he's the all time, He's one of the all time greats and all that.
Speaker 3: Do you do you agree with that? Do you disagree with that? This is?
Speaker 1: You know, hold up before you answer that, though, I also want to know what's your measurement for all time.
Speaker 3: That That's what I have to tell you too.
Speaker 2: When we have the conversation of all time grades, that's the same conversation I feel like I have when we talk about Hall of Fame, like is he in the Hall of Fame? There's different classes? Are we talking like Michael Jordan? You know what I'm saying, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Kyrie Irving is in that same Hall of Fame, But I feel like there might be a different class.
Speaker 3: So when we talk about the greatest coach.
Speaker 2: Of all time, I don't think Mike Tomlin might not go now it's the greatest coach of all time.
Speaker 3: No, there's plenty of coach.
Speaker 2: You can go with Bill Belichick, you can go with Chuck No, you can go with other coaches for sure that are in a different class that you could.
Speaker 3: Say that they have done it in a way higher level.
Speaker 2: But when we talk about greatness, when we talk about Hall of Fame status, I don't like to bash coach Tomlin and put another man down to raise another man up. So I would say, when you say greatest of all time, I don't think so, you know what I'm saying, hall of fame is why I say, yes, he's in the Hall of Fame for sure, Like there's a room for the Lebron James and the Michael Jordan's in the Hall of Fame. But still Kyrie Irving is a Hall of Fame player and that's why I put it where like Bill Bellich check Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You can put greatness of other coaches that are better than him, that I've seen before, that have done it to.
Speaker 3: The greatest level.
Speaker 2: But when you say it's Goes Tomlin a great coach, I can say, yes, he's a great coach. Maybe not the greatest of all time. There's plenty of other coaches you can pick, but I can put him. I can put him in that class. I can put him in that room. So with me, I think he is a Hall of Fame coach. I think he's a great coach. He's one of the best coach. He's the best football NFL football coach that I've ever played for. So there's certain people that played for you played for other coaches, but for me personally, I played for Eric Mangini, I played for Pat Shermer, I played for Rob Chaczinski. I played for Mike Pedton, and I played for Hugh Jackson. And then when I went to the Steelers. I played for Mike Tomlin. Out of my NFL career, I played twelve years in the league. I would like to call myself a great NFL player, a dude that comes in there and does his job at a very high level. My best coach ever, by far, was Mike Tomlin. I never went into a game ill prepared. I felt like when I was there, he gave us the keys to victory. He let us know the winning edge. I never had a winning edge meeting with the head coach before, where you would go and meet with just the dbs and a couple of the outside linebackers and get the breakdown of while we're running these plays, while we're doing these certain schemes, and what to expect so for in my position, Coach Tomlin, great coach, great leader of men, great raw raw his team meetings, the way that he did that stuff nineteen years thirteen player for appearances, seven AFC championships and the Super Bowl and went to two that's nothing to shun on or shy about or take lightly. So I like the way that he was able to I think at the same time both two things could be right. I think his time was up in Pittsburgh for sure, you know what I'm saying, Like the last couple of years, he just hasn't been able to do it. So him being able to read the room not get kicked out of the room. You want to be desired and not be putting up with. So when you're in the stadiums and you start hearing the booze, coach Tomlin's not stupid. He's not blow or death when he's been hearing the rumblings for years of all these play all these eight hundred seasons aren't good enough for us.
Speaker 3: This isn't going to be good enough. So him to go in.
Speaker 2: There and keep it where TJ. Watt, I don't think Heigh Smith. I don't think dudes really knew that he was probably about to leave. But to go in there, keep it going, still make the playoffs, and then once the season was over and they didn't.
Speaker 3: He hasn't been doing as well as he should have been doing.
Speaker 2: He gracefully bowed out, told him like Rooney, I'm ready to step off. I'm ready to go, Like this isn't really what's going on for me. So I think it was his time to go. I loved the way he was an adult read the room, didn't have to either force his way to come back next year and do all that stuff. I think coach he liked to be in there. Loves win, love feeling wanted, likes when you come into in the stadium knowing their cheering.
Speaker 3: For you, to room for you.
Speaker 2: But the back end of the fans and hearing what was going on and seven straight years of them not winning any playoff games. That's real, live, that's happening on the football field. So him taking some accountability for that too is legit. But for me, I think he is a great coach. But there's levels to greatness, and I can say how other people could think. There's other great coaches. But in my eyes and from my perspective of knowing how to go into the games, what he gave me when I.
Speaker 3: Was there, I love that man. And yeah, so that's what it is with me.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're not saying the greatest to one of the greatest.
Speaker 3: To ever do it? Right? No?
Speaker 1: No, okay, all right, that's all right. I'm cool with you on that. Now, great, I can't.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna say I can agree with you on that. Okay.
Speaker 1: The reason I can't agree with you on that is because I feel that just looking at what I'm seeing right now from guys saying, you know, you know, coach Tomlin is the greatest coach to ever do it, one of the greatest to ever do it. He's a leader of men, you know, blah blah blah, all all this stuff. I will agree with him. He is a leader of men. But to be a good coach, you have to be a leader of men. The guys have to respect you. They have to know that you're what you're talking about. That the decisions that you make, like you said, going into the game, it works, it pans out. You're able to do it. You got to buy into it, Okay. But the major reason I feel a lot of guys is saying he's a great coach is because Coach T is a awe time great motivator.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: Yes, he is a all time great motivator. He has the gift of gad that's coach T okay. And he's great at getting guys to you know, feel good about their self, boost the confidence, you know, he hitting them with the the tomlinisms and and and all that. You know, Uh, it's a five star matchup. Because we in it. Standard is the standard. Uh, don't blink. If you blink, peel your eyelids off, you know. On Yeah, and players like like they're taking that motivation and the leader of men and they're calling it greatness. You can be a leader of men and not be a great motivator. Some people don't have to get the gad. Joe tell you. And I know we're in the game. We're sitting there before the game and we're about to go out, and the coach says, hey, so and so, get up and do the pregame before we walk out in the first yourself.
Speaker 3: Is hell, not him.
Speaker 1: Him. It's not that he is not a leader of men. Nine times out of ten, he got that.
Speaker 3: C on his chest.
Speaker 1: But his motivation game is trash. And to me, a great coach dude has an added dynamic to it.
Speaker 3: And that's mentor.
Speaker 1: And I'm not talking about personal and emotional, because that's what I'm hearing from a lot of guys. I'm talking about you learned enough from this person that they took your teachings, your guidance and went on to become a version of you.
Speaker 3: I e a coaching tree.
Speaker 1: It's been almost twenty years and Mike T don't have a coaching tree.
Speaker 3: Why is that, Joe, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You got no answer, You have no answer why he doesn't have a coaching tree after being in the NFL almost twenty years. But he is one of the all time greats. And no owner, no TM, nobody has cam and said, you know what, I want one of your coaches that are under you, and I want that for my team. I can use that person to lead my team, to lead my defense, to leave my offense. Can I ask you this? Can I ask you this at the same as the same time. Must men you back with one question?
Speaker 2: I'm not as sure of the coaching with the hiring process. Are these all coach T's Is he he brings in the coach I remember? Remember Coach T promotes from within?
Speaker 3: Okay, no, no, I hear, I hear that. I'm just asking. I'm just asking.
Speaker 2: I'm blind asking because I don't know certain coaches don't have that pool. I don't know where I was at coach coaches was getting fired, gms are staying, gems are staying, coaches are getting fired.
Speaker 3: So okay, you don't know how I.
Speaker 2: Don't and I need to know the level of the level of pool makes it easier for me to give accountability.
Speaker 3: So if you're able to bring in your coaches.
Speaker 2: Like you said, if you have reason to bring in your coaches, and you do bring in these coaches and then they don't happen to pan out and they're getting fired and they're not treeing off and they're not doing well, then you're then that's stuff that I did not know. So that brings knowledge to me, that puts that on the head coach. I'm thinking more. It got to be everybody's in Cahoo's we gotta it's more than you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It takes more than two to tang up.
Speaker 1: Okay, no question, but this this is something like I said that I know.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, you don't. You don't have an answer for that. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, So with that said, let's give the little people. Let's get the people a little insight. Because they say I'm hating that's what that's that's been a story since they released James in twenty seventeen, was James is hating on coach t Okay, Joe. So this is what we go through, Joe, we go give we're gonna give these people that are here. I wanted to call them something else, but I'm not a little lessen like. Okay, So, Joe, you and I have both played in this.
Speaker 3: League for a long time, right, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: And there's things that goes on in this league that we will never talk about to the regular public because it's just an unspoken rule that you don't do if you agree, I.
Speaker 3: Was a thousand mist an agree.
Speaker 1: Well, that's unless somebody speaks out against you. Then that's a little different. And the crazy thing is usually when that happens, the people don't believe it. And when somebody speak that out loud, they don't believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they agreeable, right, Okay, now a snitcher right right, it's not.
Speaker 1: Believed he's saying this because of this. He's saying this because of that. Okay, So we're giving we're both an agreeing on that statement. It's a valid thing.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Now, the reason this doesn't happen is because a lot of guys are trying to get back into the NFL when they're done. So if you break that unspoken rule, it's highly unlikely you're going to get in because if you did it to them, you could do it to me?
Speaker 3: Would you agree with that? Debo stamp? Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Now now that that said, also know what's going on at other teams at other leagues, especially now, because guys are friends with other players on other teams and they talk to each other and tell each other what's going on at other teams, and the coaches and management of those teams do the same.
Speaker 3: Would you agree with that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Now we're getting somewhere, Joe. So this is what I believe is been happening in Pittsburgh and why coach Tomlin doesn't have a coaching tree after almost twenty years, because these gms and these owners know what's happening behind closed doors. So it would make zero sense for them to go and get a guy and promote him when they already know he doesn't have the skills to do the job.
Speaker 3: Would you would you would? Would that make sense to your job? I mean, I mean I didn't have it. I didn't have a reason.
Speaker 2: And when you broke down what you just said, that sounds like a reason that would make sense.
Speaker 1: Now you add that to a statement that was released where Art said none of his coaches are up for the head coaching job. Go find another job that would be more highly likely that they would go on or that or or the reason why he doesn't have a coaching tree.
Speaker 3: Okay, would you would would you agree with that?
Speaker 2: But I would say he made Look if you don't have a coaching tree, I said that he hired he was bad at hiring coaches, dudes he thought were going to be.
Speaker 3: Okay, the things we're not good, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like I could say that, you can say, you can say that he made a mistake in hiring coaches.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I can say that. I can say I can say that if he was accountable for hiring these offensive coordinators that haven't been really doing too well, then I'll say, yes, right, defensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: But yes, yes, So so at.
Speaker 1: Some point we had almost six seven eight openings and not one of these other coaches were mentioned for the head job except for what's his name, the OC, But he already had a head job, so he's not considered to be a tree that would come from Tomland anyway.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, uh, fuck his name? You know what I'm talking about, the OC?
Speaker 1: Right, So now they go with the oh, he's did so Oh, he's did so much with so little. Right, Yes, he's did so much with so little, and I give him credit for that, you know what.
Speaker 3: I give him credit because that's what the coach good coach does.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yes, but I also have to take credit away because he's been there nineteen years and he's one hundred percent responsible.
Speaker 3: For that roster. I got my kind of thing, man, that's all. That's okay.
Speaker 1: And like the Ravens owner said, he said, I'm gonna give him say, but no power.
Speaker 3: Mum hmm. That was that. That was how he operated.
Speaker 1: He gonna get you saved, but at the end of the day, he's gonna have the power to make the pick or decision of the player that he wants, Okay, And I honestly I don't have a problem with that because I'm gonna head coach. Yeah, I'm the one that's gonna get fired.
Speaker 3: If this goes wrong. Okay.
Speaker 2: Who's who's when we just right before Omar we had it was Kevin Cobert. So you're telling me now that they were working together, but Coach T had the final sack.
Speaker 1: I would say sometime between thirteen to fifteen, Coach T got say of what it was he wanted to do who he would be able to pick when it came down to a decision of who has to say Okay, okay, this is a good knowledge for me.
Speaker 3: D Now now now go back to that. Now go back to that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we ain't want to playoff games since what fifteen sixteen? Right, And that's on him. He's done a horrible job in the draft process, a horrible job. If you go back to twenty fifteen to now, we have only given two players in those first two rounds long term extensions. Okay, TJ and Friar move two out of fifteen. That is one hundred percent him. That is one hundred percent him.
Speaker 3: Why why is that? Why an't you give more guys extensions?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess the main ones was like I say, I was thinking Juju.
Speaker 3: We say shay Zeer got hurt, so.
Speaker 2: That was God was a good pick Chase he got hurt, Juju Deonte.
Speaker 1: We had fifteen altogether, only two of them got long term extensions. Say it could have been three or saxt year didn't getting hurt? Is that still a good percentage? No, it's no, it's not. It's not it's not. But a great coach. Made made made those made those decisions, and and he got all that power.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: And another reason I believe he wanted to get that power is he came in. He came in, he made great coaching decisions when he came in the first thing he did he kept the whole defensive staff. You got a defense that was ranked one, four and a nine in the three years before that.
Speaker 3: You can't really.
Speaker 1: Let that go because if you let that go in the defense you're throwing there don't do no better. You might be out of a job before it even starts.
Speaker 2: But that's what I'm saying that you can't blame it that that's smart.
Speaker 3: If you see you.
Speaker 1: Got smart, that's what I'm saying. That's a good coach. I'm agreeing with you. Yes, Okay. Now he went in BA Bruce Arians. Bruce Arians was promoted to the offensive coordinator. Again, a good coaching decision. Why be able to receive his coach? He was brought in under Kowar. But you got Ben who was just now starting to come into his own and you want to tell him he got to learn the new system. That wouldn't be a good decision. That's very smart on his behalf. That is a good coaching decision. Because of that, he went and won a super Bowl in year two and went back again and ten years later.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, I give him credit for that. Okay, good, Okay.
Speaker 1: But what I don't give him credit for is because he did not pick those players.
Speaker 3: Those are Bill Coward's players.
Speaker 1: And that again is another reason why I believe he was looking for power as much as he said he don't hear the outside noise he heard people talking about that was Coward's team. You just took Coyver's team to the super Bowl year and year two, you go and win the Super Bowl. You go back again two years after that, and when you look at the roster, I believe the most was like three three starters on defense, and the first one might have been one or two. I think Woodley was was was one, and Timmys I think was rotating with foot.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, Okay.
Speaker 1: The one we went back and we ended up losing, it was Timmins and Woodley. Those were his two, and I think it was one more. I don't remember who it was. Okay, So now you go from there. Since our last playoff win in twenty sixteen bro under his guidance, him being able to pick who he want. We are getting further and further away from a championship.
Speaker 2: Joe, I would say, the two years you're correct, this sixteen. I feel like that year when you won the playoffs, Oh, that was the that was that was the that was the beating Jesse James. Year, that was the beating Jesse James. And then the next year, twenty seventeen, that was when we went thirteen and three had to buy and that's what Shazier got hurt and we brought up my man Sean Spence from the couch at the crib and Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: Told it on us and we gave up forty five points. So I think those.
Speaker 2: Two years sixteen seventeen that bad bad luck, bad luck.
Speaker 3: Okay, hold up, great teams, bad luck, all right.
Speaker 2: So from that point on after you said that, from that point on after seventeen.
Speaker 3: Then i'm a few things we didn't look good.
Speaker 2: And I think that's when coach he started realizing that it was it wasn't looking good either.
Speaker 1: Now hold on, I want you to, I want you to, I want you to think about this. Now, what year you got there?
Speaker 2: You got there in seventeen, right, I got there at seventeen.
Speaker 1: Okay, So from fifteen until eighteen, the offense was never ranked lower than of four. So all these people that want to say he never had a quarterback, he never had this. Aaron Rodgers is the first quarterback he had, y'all just throwing bean out the window.
Speaker 3: You talking about offense.
Speaker 1: That was ranked four, three, three and seven, okay. And in that time we made an AFC Championship game, and we lost two times in the first round.
Speaker 3: And didn't even make it one year to the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Along with that, as you said, you came in twenty seventeen. We had a fifth ranked defense in twenty seventeen that lost in the first round.
Speaker 3: As you just said.
Speaker 1: And we had a sixth defense in twenty eighteen, and you're pairing that with a three and a four offense.
Speaker 3: But got it.
Speaker 1: You don't even make the playoffs. But again you're saying, that's one of the great coaches of all time, right, bro, bro great.
Speaker 3: Not all time, that's what he's a great. He's a great, great Hall of Fame coach for sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you don't see this as maybe a dismantlement.
Speaker 2: It's no, no, no, no, no. Look, the coaches come in the league like for the consistency is still something we can't say, like he underput you. We could say he underperformed in some of these years. It should have been more super Bowls than not. He did go to the big game and win it. You say it was the other people's team. You still got to go out there and coach.
Speaker 1: You still be able to leave him the whole season everything, keep them motivated.
Speaker 3: Keep them going. So all that stuff is difficult.
Speaker 2: It's difficult to do when you go with no years of having Duck Hodges. Then when people start getting hurt and I'm just saying, no matter who's there, you coach, that's what you're saying. When he's getting more, if that's his right, he's getting more, we're gonna give him more reason, Okay, right, he's getting more with less.
Speaker 3: We can say that.
Speaker 1: It was times where they're like, oh, the Stills won't make the playoffs and Stillers make the playoffs and get popped out in the first round. He got more with less, but he get way less with far more. A great coach, don't do that, Joe, great coach don't do that, Joe, Joe, you came from Cleveland knocking you and nothing like that.
Speaker 3: But you went from Cleveland to what you had to Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 1: I went from Bill Cower, Mike Tomlin to uh so, Cincinnati with Lewis and then my last ended up coming back to the Stillers and then finishing off with with Belichick.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, So what would you rank your coaches?
Speaker 2: Where would you rank the order of Mike Tomlin with them, with them, with those other coaches.
Speaker 3: I would rank.
Speaker 1: Bill oh well, hold on, I would rank Belichick, Coyle, Tomlin, and then.
Speaker 3: Okay, Lewis. Okay, that's where I would rank him. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now he's a good coach, Okay. A good coach finds a way to motivate his player, to lead his players, okay, and.
Speaker 3: He gets the potential out of his players. Okay.
Speaker 1: But the only problem with motivation, because he's a great motivator, is it doesn't last long. It's very inconsistent. Bro It's a filling based thing. Motivation is, and that's what we've been seeing in Pittsburgh. It is emotional fillings based is inconsistent play coaching for the last decade could because our coach is a great motivator, not a great coach. Just like what you're seeing right now with all these guys with these emotional attachments, you being one of the guys, included that the it's not performance based on the field, it is personal experience and relationship based. You came from a situation where you didn't even know what a good coach was to now you're seeing that's a great I know what great coaches look like.
Speaker 3: I know what great coaches look, I know how mean, I know how they move, I know how they approach.
Speaker 1: I know what my measurement of greatness is.
Speaker 2: A hall of fame coach in your opinion?
Speaker 3: Say what it is?
Speaker 2: Coach to a Hall of fame coach in your opinion? No, okay, so now that's yeah, that that's actually crazy. Okay, Yeah, so we're we're we're just.
Speaker 1: Saying I can't give him a Hall of Fame coach for it's because he hasn't made disciples. You're telling me you're a hall of fame coach that no one has followed you. Mind that that that can't be the thing. He's the only candid coach this loan and does not have a Tree Bros.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not gonna I'm not gonna say no, no, no, I'm not gonna say I'm not gonna not give him the Hall of Fame nod because he's bad at hiring offensive offensive coordinators.
Speaker 1: But I talked you think that is a thing that he's bad at doing, or do you think that is a thing that he purposely does to keep position in power?
Speaker 3: No? No, No, I don't think he's self sabotages.
Speaker 1: I don't saying your self sabotage if you're hiring.
Speaker 2: That, if you're hiring other coaches that aren't good enough, because you're neither.
Speaker 1: Going to take the spotlight out of Aha? Is it enough spotlight? Is it enough spotlight?
Speaker 3: No? Is that what you were saying?
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, Joe, is it enough spotlight to go around? You gotta realize a lot of coaches when they get this head coach thing, it's a lot of ego that go with that. It's a lot of ego that go with that. Okay, No, a great coach, dude, Like the measurement of greatness like it's not based on personal experiences and relationship you have with them. It is purely on what you did as a coach. Did you get champions what disciples? Yes, wins and losses is great and losses have to add.
Speaker 3: Up to championships. Brother, he has a ship.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm the greatest of all time as a linebacker because.
Speaker 3: I got two Super Bowls. No, no, no, no, that's what I'm saying. That's what you're saying.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't like I don't he But why not? He went to the playoffs thirteen times out of his nineteen seasons he went. He won the AFC championship seven times.
Speaker 3: How many times did he win? One? He won?
Speaker 2: We're not saying that he's the great.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no. How many playoff games did he win?
Speaker 1: Because when you look at the greats, the measurement of greatness for all time greats, like everybody is saying right now, nobody has a negative postseason record. And I can go back back, like you go back to George Hallis six and three, you go back to Don Shuler nineteen and seventeen. It's still better than what he had. That like even Paul Brown ninety eight, Bill Belichick thirty one and thirteen, bro Andy Reid twenty eight and seventeen.
Speaker 3: Like you want to hear what's Timelin's playoff record?
Speaker 2: We have?
Speaker 3: We have at least we have one, Bud, Gret, can you tell me? Can you tell me what Thomas playoff record? No? I don't know, why now because what is it? What is it?
Speaker 2: Eight and twelve?
Speaker 3: Huh? What is it? Which is playoff record? You don't know what.
Speaker 2: I don't know it.
Speaker 3: What is it? But that's a measure. But hall of Fame he fough the Hall of Fame record, he met playoff record debo. I don't know, Joe, I don't know. You don't know either.
Speaker 1: You said it was because of playoffs, But I'm just trying to figure out. I mean, if you're gonna are you one number? I mean, look, he won a ship. He hasn't had more losing seasons than winning season.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna win.
Speaker 3: It every year. One team is going to win twelve, bro, he eight and twelve? Oh that's what I thought. It was a twelve.
Speaker 2: One team's gonna win it.
Speaker 3: So him being right into the dance, Like, why, okay, so a Hall.
Speaker 1: Of Fame listen, Joe, So a Hall of Fame coach should be making history for maybe having the longest losing streak and playoff history since it began. You're tied with UH, with with with UH Marvin Lewis as the longest head coach to NFL history.
Speaker 3: You're tired.
Speaker 1: That's the longest Logan Street seven games straight. That should be that should be a. That's that's a great coach.
Speaker 2: That's a that's definitely not It doesn't. It's not a good stat But you got to put the good with the bad. You can't just take away all of the stuff we said before when he first got out there, you.
Speaker 3: Just said hall of fame was because which one is it? Joe, He's a Hall of Fame coach because of what?
Speaker 2: Because that he's went because we went nineteen seasons with zero losing records.
Speaker 3: That doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: That's just not easy when you you just overshadow that, you know what I'm saying. Thirteen he did go to the playoffs thirteen times. He did go to the super Bowl two times he did were.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've been his record is better than eight because it was one hundred and ninety eight.
Speaker 4: He's won one hundred and ninety two of a Pittsburgh Stiller. He's one hundred and ninety two and one hundred and fourteen. So he's better than eight and eight. His overall record is better than eight and eight, and he's won a super Bowl.
Speaker 2: So I under if you have time, it's his time. Well, I'm still not saying it's not his time to go. Like his time is good.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's not his time to go. I'm talking about great. Yes, what's his hall of same qualification?
Speaker 3: For me? For you? I just was giving it to you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna keep you want me to keep saying the same thing over and over again.
Speaker 3: You said playoff record, then you said, I said, he went to the he's playing.
Speaker 2: He was a coach nineteen years, right, thirteen playoff appearances, seven AFC championships, two super Bowl appearances, one super Bowl victory.
Speaker 1: Okay, so anybody that wins the Super Bowl should be a great coach.
Speaker 2: Whoever keeps this long line longevity of consistency of winning, keeping a team in the in the fight. You got a dog, have a dog in the fight.
Speaker 1: So you gotta have nineteen years, and you gotta no, no, no, no no, you don't have.
Speaker 2: To have nineteen years. You don't have to have nineteen years. He could have done better, he could have done more than this. But that's why I'm still saying at the same time, that's why he's not the greatest coach of all time. But he's a damn sure great coach that deserves to be in the Hall of That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, So again, for me, what I'm seeing, what it's being said out here is the emotional attachments these guys have to Mike Tomlin, and for me, I didn't have that emotional attachment with him.
Speaker 3: I can't respect you the emotion I had.
Speaker 1: If I had stopped playing maybe in two thy twelve, I might be one of those guys that was saying the same thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know why devote because then we speak this too. It's a relationship thing you and Coach Tomlin have years with each other that at the semi one time we were falling, hooping everything. Then another relationship where you like you felt like you was probably done dirty, did you wrong, said some things, lied, you know what I'm saying. So a whole different thing going on where you know what I'm saying, How how can people? Then that's why you can sit there and say that it's that that type of way me too. At the same way, when I wanted to redo my deal, we were talking, Oh yeah, Joe, you're gonna finish your career here, and then all of a sudden it went crickets. I could feel some type of way like coach.
Speaker 3: See, it's totally different.
Speaker 1: You're saying that, oh you thought you were going to finish your career there, and see when what that gives me is I have clarity because our relationship was business. It was just that it was yeah, okay, So how to saying, go, Joe, I lied for you before I lie to you.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: The number one thing that I was taught about my parents is you never lied to me, because if you lied to me, I can't help you, and then I can't trust you.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: The first time I know he lied to me was twenty ten, but that wasn't the biggest thing because I didn't have that relationship with him that I understood it was no.
Speaker 3: Obligation for him to tell me the truth.
Speaker 1: But the big thing was the first time I know he lied on me, and that was twenty thirteen. M And as much as he doesn't say or as much as he says he doesn't listen to the outside noise. I found that to be a lie. In twenty eighteen. You want to know how I know Joe, how you know Debo because he texts me he was into his feelings though, because I said that.
Speaker 3: Belichick was a better coach than him.
Speaker 1: They asked me a question, and I asked, I was on Fox then twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Brother, I'll never forget it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was on the skipping Shannon and they asked me, and I, hey, gave I.
Speaker 3: Gave my opinion. Yeah it was, and why it was? Okay? Now?
Speaker 1: He responded with something like wood Lee was a smarter player than you.
Speaker 3: Blah blah. You know what.
Speaker 1: I don't even want I want to give you this verbatim. You know that I don't want to. I don't want to. I don't know you mess words. I don't want to mince words and and say and because it is very betim matter of fact, like a sa say. It was twenty eighteen. I was doing commentating for Fox, and I would go up there like maybe once or twice a month and be there for like two three days and go on all the shows. You know, do to commentation and they'd ask me whatever, da da da da. So now this text I get from him, Oh, look you're there in twenty eighteen. Yeahat so the text I get from him. Here's the crazy thing. It's almost three four weeks after it was said. Okay, August seventh, two thy eighteen, at one thirty five, Joe, what time do y'all go to practice.
Speaker 3: To?
Speaker 1: He saw probably like two, like two two thirty something like that. But this is what's on your mind. He's watching me on TV. This has gotten to him somehow. Here is his text. He says Wood was a smart player than you. But I would never say that to anybody but you. I'm not with you for what you say. I'm always with you because of your relationship with the game and what you were willing to do.
Speaker 3: Don't act funny.
Speaker 1: I will always be with you no matter how fucked up you are.
Speaker 3: Lol.
Speaker 1: Now my response to him was, quote, if you wanted to tell the world that I would not be upset, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, just like I'm entitled to mine. No disrespect meant by it. It was just my honest answer to a question that was asked. Good luck Thursday. I'll always be with you, no matter how fucked up you are. One hundred. Now you're telling me someone who doesn't listen to the outside noise is texting me that on a Tuesday before he's playing a Thursday a game.
Speaker 2: If it's a Tuesday, look it could have been a day off tuesdays.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no, no, no no. I made sure I looked at it. I made sure I looked at it. It wasn't a day off. Okay, it was a Thursday game. Oh practice. So again, my relationship with him, it is totally different. I can separate, I can separate the great coach from the great motivator and see it. Guys that are in that position now, they still have that emotional attachment and that makes them overshadow when you start looking at pure numbers, because coaching is something that is based on numbers and development, and he does not have the ability, because he does not have a coaching tree to actually get coaches out and in through his toolage.
Speaker 3: But that's a great coach.
Speaker 2: I think, like, when, why don't you think he would just hire? Do you think he's purposely not high?
Speaker 1: Like I just don't lets me know, you feel a certain type of way.
Speaker 3: He this is.
Speaker 1: This is the one thing I thought I said, I might have said it to you. I said, the only way Mike tim to get us out of here is if he wants to leave. And it was one of two things. Okay, it was going to be his ego or it was going to be.
Speaker 3: His pride. It was going to be his or his pride. Why he why he left, why he would.
Speaker 1: Leave or stay? Okay, okay, his pride is the part that would make him leave. He wouldn't be able to take the outside noise. He doesn't listen to her, He says, he doesn't hear. His ego would make him stay because I don't care what they say. I'm staying. I'll leave when I want to leave. And I think maybe the pride spoke a little loud, deebo.
Speaker 2: I just say one thing, man, the fact that you have you can speak on, like you said, the emotional part, and people get really in their feelings and get them mostly attached to coach t because like you said, he is a great speaker.
Speaker 3: He is a great when they say leader of men.
Speaker 2: But I cause, like when I can only know from where I came from, And the one thing too I can say is when I was in Florida. When I was at Florida when we didn't win national championships, Ervin Meyer was a special teams coach. We had a great defensive coordinator and Charlie Strong, we had a great offensive coordinator and a damn mullen. So he like put off things to other people that made sure those dudes knew exactly what was going on. And you gotta kind of give off task and make sure you can't just be the only one running the whole kitchen, because it takes it takes a village, you know what I'm saying. Your GM got to be on your same page with you, Your coaches got to be on the same page. Your owner ship has to be kind of following kind of everybody's got to be working together.
Speaker 3: So I'm I'm with you on not being emotional.
Speaker 2: On my part is I don't know all the nuances of what coach he really had the power to do, what pool he had, what say so he had. So when I'm coming in, I'm knowing I'm gonna do my job and if my coach gives me the tools to make sure I can go out there and do what I gotta.
Speaker 3: Do to make sure we win.
Speaker 2: And if we don't win, we see why we didn't and he gives us the facts and tools and the keys the victory. And if we go do this, we're gonna go win these games every week.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I never went in there ill prepared, So I hear what you're saying too. With a great coach, if you're really gonna do.
Speaker 1: It, And this is kind of bringing it to me where you grand coach, You gotta have the GM right, You got to make sure your offense coordinated.
Speaker 3: You got to be able to set people up and put.
Speaker 2: Them in positions to where now that that's kind of how you build a tree. How Belichick and how these dudes have dudes that are disciples of them because they kind of taught them, put them in positions and they kind of got it. That's That's the part of where I'm always understanding, great coach, is what are you telling me to do? Are you making sure I know exactly what to do and when I need to do it to go win? And then coaching me up to like not just bad tape is bad tape. I and the sky don't lie being accountable for everybody, like showing the stuff. I was with that so I can That part is where I say great coach. On the other part is where like there's a whole lot more where if you're not if you're in the GM, aren't on the same page. If you're actually the one bringing in the talent, if you're bringing in these quarterbacks, signing these guys, drafting these people, then the then the then the buck really does have to stop on you if everything's not performing, if you're not getting the best out the people that you hand selected.
Speaker 3: So I'm with you one thousand percent, debo.
Speaker 2: You kind of giving me a lot of more knowledge where like I as coaching leader of men, making sure I knew what I was doing.
Speaker 3: Great coach as far as bringing in talent.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's what I'm trying to say, Joe. You're saying great coach, leader of men, telling me what afact a good coach?
Speaker 3: To me, a great.
Speaker 1: Coach gets you beyond what your actual uh uh level of play is. Like dick Lebaum. If it wasn't for dick Lebone, there is no James Harrison. Dick Lebaux got me to play beyond the potential of what James Harrison was because he was an undrafted nobody that would be nothing but a whole life special teams player. Go to that, and you go to Keith Butler, my linebacker coach, the greatest linebacker coach I ever had. Okay, he is the person that developed me, turn me into what I am, made me what I am, showed me how to do this job, the nuances of doing it in and out, and I played it in Dick Lebo's defense. Okay, and that was Taylor made for me, the same defense I thought was so hard and difficult for.
Speaker 3: Me to learn. Once I actually sat down, became.
Speaker 1: A truth professional, understood what I needed to do and learned it and put it on tape, it was easy for me to go out there and play and excel in it because those were two great people that were in it. Yeah, I want to tie it on the Tomlin. Yes, I give him that. Good coach. Good coach. He did the things necessary to keep the people in place, because that's what was there. It would be foolish to leave to let those people go.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: And also something when we were sitting there at the game, what the hamp say ninety five is a good player, right, he said he's a good player. I looked it up, BROI is a good player. Nine five is a good player as much as I said he's not. But you know why he's not a good player because they planned him out a position. You're telling me, a great coach takes an athlete like that that could be great and puts him in a position to not excel.
Speaker 3: What position we need to play him at though he needs to be on the end. Okay, okay, he needs to be on the end.
Speaker 1: He's a rush in dude, all right, he actually got dude, like.
Speaker 3: Like, for real?
Speaker 2: Is it because he's too leads to It's just's quick, but he's too light.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: Here's here's a here's a funny thing. Before TJ moved to the left, PZ, what's the linebacker, coach? I said, PZ. I know, y'all ain't gonna do nothing with me and let me play on the right. But move TJ to the left. I would see every time in practice when TJ got the practice rushing on the left, he had that move.
Speaker 3: Can't nobody stop. I'm like, just moving to the left, like just moving to the left.
Speaker 1: They thinking I want to, I want to, I want to get in there and play that. I know you're not gonna blame me already. No, I want to move to TJ to left. Automatically he could get that. They don't do it. TJ finally was like yo, and one of the off season, I want to move to the left, move to the left.
Speaker 3: Boom gone gone should have moved on to the left. Quicker should have moved into the left.
Speaker 1: Quicker Quicker like, we're at a point right now where or we got to a point where when Coward was there, Coward drafted talent for the position that was needed to get the job done at that position. I think around that thirteen fifteen time frame, coach Townlan got into drafting athletes, numbers, speed, all that, and not getting players that could do the skill needed at the position, which in thirteen led to dick Lebo's defense dropping in thirteen and fourteen and then them not renewing him because now you have him at a I think it was A thirteen and thirteen and eighteen in fourteen and now you can say, you know what, his defense don't work? That was that was called his defense don't work no more? It just don't work. It don't work. That's not true. His defense works. It was younger and younger players starting pick Lar Bose defense.
Speaker 3: He don't start rookies.
Speaker 1: It's only been one rookie before twenty thirteen that started in Addicularbo defense, and that was Ken dro Bell, And we ran I don't even know if y'all ran this. We ran Gap Mac. We ran Mac games, so we ran Mac Mac game. So it was either Gap Mac, knife, sword, gun, switch whatever whatever it was.
Speaker 3: So it was no.
Speaker 1: Telling that exactly exactly. You don't even know what I'm talking about. You got there seventeen. That's why you think he's right and I'm wrong, and we have a difference opinion. That told the Mac backer to hit gaps A through B I mean a through d over here or a through d over here. Why because I don't want him thinking I need to get him to where he knows where he's going. Because in that defense, you didn't play in the pure Diclobo fire zone defense. When I got there and at fourteen, I was like, yo, why were we changing this? When I unretired and came back, I'm like, some thing's gonna changed, and it's like Yo, we had to change some things so players didn't have to think so much and they could be able to play.
Speaker 3: Now, now, when.
Speaker 1: You do that in the Diculable defense and you take that.
Speaker 3: Away with that baumbing it down.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're dumbing it down, and you take away two or three other defenses that looked the same as that one defense, but it's doing something totally different. And that's why when rookie quarterbacks see a Diculable defense, a true Diclabo defense, they are talking about their seeing ghosts. Why because you're looking at the same thing, the same lineup, the same look, and it's four different ways those people can come. But now you have to take that one out, so now it's no teeth to the other one because you didn't get the player that needed to play the position to do what was necessary. As an inside linebacker and our def you got to come downhill, bang a dude, and get off of me. As an outside linebacker, you have to dominate the tight end. The tight ends never block you one on one, and you have to be able to get out and coverage to a claral flat. You have to be able to go seem Sometimes you got to run down with the number two.
Speaker 3: All that got taken away.
Speaker 1: So you see what I'm saying, Like, no, you have different parameter than you does, but fective in your perspective or two different things.
Speaker 2: Dude, I feel you, I hear you, but I'm just telling you what I know from being the cornerback and.
Speaker 3: Getting coached up.
Speaker 2: It just I feel like if the dude, dude, if you, if you, if you could have played in Dick Labo system, I guarantee you your numbers would have jumped by three. But the thing is, the cornerback it was easy, though, d BO, I think I'm The thing is there's there's there's nuances and stuff that we didn't get. But I don't think some people are just not smart enough to get defenses. Sometimes some things are a little bit confusing. I think I think my mind kind of works. But but that's the big draw, Like it's easy.
Speaker 1: Even the offenses that are facing us saying, oh it's easy, we know what they're gonna do. Why because you had to dumb it down so much because you're trying to make guys play now, like you have to have some complication to your defense. You have for sure we're playing chess, not checkers. Right, what you said, But guess what, we're playing tic tac toe because everybody and they mom see it and we're going to a game like TJ just said, this past game. We we we felt good about the week we went in, everything was you know, it was good.
Speaker 3: We felt prepared. And what happened the offenship down their leg.
Speaker 1: They're they're they're part of the preparation on the other.
Speaker 2: Side, right man, what so look so this this this what I'm saying. So what what what? What are you expecting? What are you expecting to happen?
Speaker 1: I'm I'm I'm expecting a great head coach to put people in position to get coaches that can Actually, how many coaches did you learn anything from at the stillers when you were there in your tenure?
Speaker 3: Who gave you, Who.
Speaker 1: Gave you nuggets that made you a better player, Who gave you who increased your knowledge? Who increased your capabilities?
Speaker 2: Coach Blake? Okay, coach Lake? Where's coach Lake? He was hired, He went to go see his son play out and in l A. You know what happened after that?
Speaker 3: No, then it got yeah, then it was then it was scrap he wasn't. He did not. He didn't help too much. Who was my third one? You can't remember, that's the problem.
Speaker 2: No, it was good, man, My third one was good. We had a good d B coach telling you was just yeah man, yeah, but it was I promise you, I promise you going.
Speaker 3: But I only had one bad d B coach there, so good equates to a great coach hiring.
Speaker 1: No, but I already you want to sat with a lot of great.
Speaker 3: I already told you what I believe.
Speaker 1: I do believe he will get into the hall just because of the number.
Speaker 3: Do I believe he should be in there? Wow? This coach is? That happened so the same.
Speaker 1: Reasons I don't believe I should be in there. My numbers aren't what they are. I said it multiple times. I've said that so many times. It's ridiculous. Even though we played in the defense where we drive damn near fifty percent of the time, and anytime you got a pass rush, it may not be a pure rush.
Speaker 3: It could be a run.
Speaker 1: So you may get maybe eight to ten pure pass rushes in the game if you're lucky. And that wasn't That was if coach Laboul decided that a.
Speaker 3: We're not going to rush our outside guys.
Speaker 1: We need you guys to head up the tight end and just whip his ass to gap him and dominating the run game, and we'll pick everything else up with the corners coming in.
Speaker 3: No, you're gonna get in there though. You're gonna get in that bit, de bo, that's for sure. I respectfully listen.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you right now, you don't you don't understand. You understand I don't care I'm get in. I ain't even the only thing making my daddy proud, bro, and I did that, don't I don't think they understand you right now? Think about this. Think about this. Ab ab should be.
Speaker 3: First Battle of Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: A thousand per a thousand.
Speaker 3: Get first Battle of Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Okay, they get their chance to make that, to make that thing to where they can do.
Speaker 3: Whatever they want to do. It is not didn't go first, stylid numbers based.
Speaker 1: And that is why I'm telling you Toman will get in because I don't think he should get in because guys are saying the things.
Speaker 2: He's going to get in for show. Yes, you're gonna get in for show. I can hear what you're saying.
Speaker 1: You just like it sist to leave or not, it's gonna be the same thing.
Speaker 2: Mm hm, no question. He's gonna be able to do what he wants though.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, what's up, hardball Giants? The Browns ain't getting there?
Speaker 2: Man, it's all It's all good, Joe, it's all good, Hey, Joe, Yeah, it's all good.
Speaker 3: Who who you?
Speaker 2: Who you?
Speaker 3: Who you hope? Who you're hoping for now? Joe? Man? Bruh? After that?
Speaker 2: After that, that one flustered me because I put all my eggs in one basket. I ain't even gonna lie to so uh yeah, right now, I'm just waiting to see what they were. Mister Haslam, well he's looking to come up with him and mister Barry. See what they looking for. So, you know, I'm just here, I'm just waiting. I'm just waiting. I'm just hoping and praying. I'm hoping something good happens. I'm gonna let them. I'm gonna let them do it because you know what, No, let's because what the because look we heard about that. What the what the stealer's gonna do though with the coach, because like you said, you want a great coach. You want a great coach obviously, and y'all ain't been doing it for a long time, only had three How much how much wiggle room a y'all, how much wiggle room are you giving the coach?
Speaker 1: I'm one hundred percent ready, and no, we're gonna be in the basement. If we're trying to rebuild this, and I think we need to rebuild this, I don't know if Steller fans can handle that.
Speaker 3: That's what I want to say. That's what I don't care.
Speaker 1: If I'm the if I'm the person making the decision, I don't care. This is what's going to have to happen, just like it happened over there with the Patriots. Look where they're at right now. Look where they're at right now. You've got to go to the basement to get back up unless you go give up everything that you have to find a quarterback that is out there right now and get him. We're going to be in the basement, and this draft is not it. I don't know if the next draft is it. We're going to be in the basement to be able. We're going to have to be in the basement to be able. To draft a draft a quarterback can be a franchise quarterback. Okay, we're going to be in a we're going to I understand that, and we're going to have to draft far better than we have been doing the last ten to fifteen years. Yep, I'm ready for them. I'm I'm ready to accept. As long as we get a person that can get that done, I'm willing to accept. I'm willing to accept.
Speaker 2: Because basement, Because this is what I'm saying, your coach, when I'm telling you being in the basement, do we need to see something? Because the Steelers, they ain't had to really be dealing with another different head coaches. So I'm saying, how long are you giving him to look terrible in the basement, because we're gonna have Will Howard. We're still gonna obviously try to play and see what's up.
Speaker 1: So you mean so you're telling me, so you're telling me that we could take Will Howard and put him in there.
Speaker 3: Let's let's stop all save this team.
Speaker 1: That that is a great decision that Mike getting Aaron Rodgers. I will say that I don't know without him, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: It been looking no, for sure, it would have been his.
Speaker 1: First losing season ever if Aaron Rodgers wasn't there. Look at the games he won, Look how he want them, Look how our defense played in him, and look how we had to win them. You're telling me that this still would be a ten to seven team with Aaron Rodgers not there.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm not saying that.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that we obviously are going to go need to get a quarterback. If will is going to be the one that's going to be playing, we need to get.
Speaker 3: A vet obviously or we lose, lose.
Speaker 2: We're going to get hopefully a high pick where we get Caleb Williams like the Bears did, or Drake may for number three. You know what I'm saying, Like like the Patriots this so you're obviously going to.
Speaker 3: Have to lose.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying with the coach wise giving them a little bit of leeway because I'm.
Speaker 1: Giving you leeway. I ain't find I ain't signing up to a five year deal.
Speaker 3: I'm loving the way that I'm loving though.
Speaker 2: I think Robert Craft, I mean Robert Kraft, the way that he did it with New England. He put Mayo in there for a year, fired him, and then we're still able to get what's my man right now? That's that the Patriots, the one that we that I wish we could get. But he's not going nowhere. Oh no, he ain't leaving because from Tennessee. Yes, yes, yes, so we got to get we got to get a great coach. Bruh that you saying that's going to be able to bring offensive and defensive coordinators because it's still definitely.
Speaker 3: And I'm not listening.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying he has to be a great coach right now, but I need to have the potential of being able to grow into that. You've seen something in him from year whatever it is to year whatever.
Speaker 3: And he can grow.
Speaker 1: On top of that, I want to know that he can put a staff in place. I want to know that he's not going to be somebody that feels like he can't put somebody at X y Z because it may take attention.
Speaker 3: Away from him.
Speaker 2: So let me tell you this, all right, let me go, This is a question I really wanted to know. Since you talking about we're gonna have to be trash for a little bit and everything, are we still saying with these same players, are you trying to Are you trying to dump? Are you trying to get rid of contracts? Are you trying to look and see what's going on?
Speaker 3: I'm dumping for sure. Okay, I'm gonna have to because that's what you're gonna have to do. If we're talking about I.
Speaker 2: Have to with this bread out there and it's young, you can try to really go reset are If you're really trying and.
Speaker 3: Refigure it out, that's then I got it. I got Okay, that's just the same.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hate to say it, but I'm getting rid of older, expensive talent.
Speaker 3: Okay, you have to.
Speaker 1: I gotta start younger. I got I gotta start younger because I need to be able. I need to be able to grow with this. I gotta teach him. I gotta bring him in and and to be honest, I don't just as you know, I don't want to deal with the past, you know, of whatever they may expect from me because of what their dealings were with Tom.
Speaker 3: So I'm cleaning. I'm cleaning house. I have to. I'm sorry, but I have to start off fresh.
Speaker 1: And I look at look at Rabel, dude, he let go and signed so many people. I think it was like twenty something dudes in his first week to there.
Speaker 3: Before that, he went and got the coaches. He got the coaches.
Speaker 1: I need the coaches that I need like he put together, he get, he get an all.
Speaker 3: Star coaching style. He got. He got that together, And I need guys to be there that when the.
Speaker 1: Player see him or or or hear their name or or whatever that may be, it's automatic buying. My My DV coach is Joe Hayden. Come on, brying right, Yes, okay, I'm coaching. I'm coaching them up. I got I got, you know, I got My DV coach is blah blah blah that I brought up from the scouting department and now he's my DV coach.
Speaker 2: Huh no kind of but no, no credibility none.
Speaker 1: So now when he tells you like you you can't even relate the game to me, like it's something that's not going on, that's not being translated.
Speaker 3: When I'm seeing every corner, every dB.
Speaker 1: Except for a few, when they get beat, first thing they do is look back.
Speaker 2: Ain't nobody grabbed like stop. That's when d We're gonna have that. That's what we gotta y. Literally, it's eyes. It's straight eyes in the metingrom. We're doing it the whole time.
Speaker 3: And if you're doing that in practice, you're not going to get in the game.
Speaker 2: No, that's what you're gonna do.
Speaker 3: You're gonna do if you practice doing that. Kid, stop looking back crazy. I'm having dudes boxing gloves.
Speaker 2: I'm treating them like kid until you get that credibility.
Speaker 3: Way. Okay, you showing me you know how to play? Okay, I might give you a.
Speaker 1: Little everybody coward did, dude, everybody think coward.
Speaker 3: You earned what everything was.
Speaker 1: Ye you were if you was a first rounder or round, you earned everything. And that's when it came time around that. Like I said that thirteen fourteen timeframe, bruh, guys were giving it. Hey, you my first rounder. You you're my first rounder. Here here, guys, go ahead, get out there. We're gonna fix whatever it is we need to adjust so you can play.
Speaker 2: See, I ain't gonna lie to you coming out of that Belichick. I had Eric man Jinny and I was a first round pick and he did not give me nothing. I didn't start until game week six. I was special teams four phase guy, working my ass learning and then on me find it showing I'm like this, I'm going to show you I deserve it. I get in that thing after the sixth game of the season, I never come back out. But you gotta just you're not just Joe. You're Joe Hayden.
Speaker 3: First round pick. Here, you go about that.
Speaker 2: We won't care about none of that because unless you Sheldon Brown, Eric Wright.
Speaker 1: No, that's college. There's like, that's college. You did that in college. Somebody here, you gotta show me some here. M H'm not about to just hand this to you. They talking about the head coaching job for Pittsburgh. They got a rank that's the third. They got Ravens one Falcons too. You agree with that? Man? You think Baltimore in uh Atlanta is more desirable than Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think only Baltimore. Maybe only Baltimore right now, just because they got Lamar, just because they.
Speaker 3: Got real, real disrespectful right now. But brother, the brother, brother, brother, brother.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I mean, look, we don't got no coach either, So I mean trying.
Speaker 1: That's what it is for the head coaching job. When you want to be able to come in there and say I can't bring coach.
Speaker 3: I could pick my quarterback.
Speaker 1: I could do what I want to and I'm not stuck saying that I need to have. You got to keep the OC because that is a defense all right, offense that is ran totally different than what the regular offenses are ran in the NFL, because you will have a quarterback that is a running back in a quarterback.
Speaker 3: Now you're you're cutting your You're cutting yourself down.
Speaker 1: To have to pick a backup that is that is something him or exactly like him.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm look, I'm look me. I'm not turning down. I mean, Lamar is still Lamar Jackson. And if you understand with it, and if that's your type of offense, that you know what I'm saying. You are the type of offense that runs that. You are the type of head coach that likes the r p o s that likes to do that.
Speaker 3: And you're a big defensive guy too. So I think that could be a.
Speaker 2: Fit where that coach could be like, hey, I do have Lamar Jackson, but at the same time, I'm with you to at Pittsburgh where I can pick whatever quarterback I do want. We don't really have one there, Like go talk to what what leadership role, What what?
Speaker 3: What ability do I have to bring in whoever I want?
Speaker 1: Okay, but I'm going, I'm I'm still I'm still. I'm still thinking. It's still the job is not you're going agree with that. I'm going to still the first I gotta I gotta put in my I gotta put in my my requests for interview and all that. So when I do, you know, when I do that and everything, I'll let you know how to how to process. Go please, I like I said, listen, I'm I'm going I'm going to make I'm going to make my job so easy.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm going to hire the coldest position coaches and coordinators around.
Speaker 3: I want to make my job as easy as possible as a head coach.
Speaker 1: I do not care who gets the credit because at the end, I'm going to get the credit because I hired them and put it in a show. Okay, I understand. I don't listen. I do not want teachers. I want professors of the game. You understand what I'm saying that. Yes, I'm sorry, I'm not promoting from within. That's gonna look No unless you done showed me something, I'm gonna go pluck somebody from I'm going to pluck them out of the sky.
Speaker 3: You come on over here, you come thank you, come on over here, dou Hey, what you know about a college? What do you think about a college? What about that college football coach?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 3: Now I'm talking about Indiana too nice too.
Speaker 1: He from PA and he from p A Hey, but you got to be able to get him to leave. He already said he ain't leaving, and that meant it sounded like he a man of his word right now. And you know what I'm saying, sound like a person that it has a conviction if look, you know, he makes his players, hold his players accountable.
Speaker 2: I tell you one thing, and that's what I'm talking about. He's over He looked like he's no, he's not boy.
Speaker 3: I like him. Hey, listen, we gonna give it a shot.
Speaker 1: This could be a This could be one of those chances where we go ahead, talk to him. Get hey, do what you gotta do to get him to at least come on through, do an interview. You listen, you could be here next twenty five thirty year coach here. I like what he's doing over there in Indiana.
Speaker 3: Now, I love what he's doing over there.
Speaker 1: I like what he's doing over there, like, hey, he he came from the basement too. People make everybody enter. That's why he make them earning. Yep, that's why he make them earning. Look here, man, we got a playoff game two. We got the Bears over there with the Rams, the playoff game, Bro.
Speaker 3: Game History, Joe. Hey, we got a video.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Look at the Blizzard conditions right now, Michigan. Baby, See that's what I'm telling you. I'm I'm I'm the lean.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey boy.
Speaker 5: Man, Matthew Stafford hurt his little finger, too cool. His thing is gonna be tingling, Bro. They are not They are not looking good in cold weather.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: You're talking about what they say zero the negative ten wind.
Speaker 3: Chill something like that. Let me chell you many mile an hour, gus.
Speaker 1: And they said the Rams, I ain't playing a game below fifty off season one in eight fifty completion for Stafford, the eight record, fourteen touchdowns, eleven interceptions.
Speaker 2: Brother, dang, yeah, man, that's why I look. And it's colder. It looks freezing out there. And my man hit his his a pointer finger off his throwing hand.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be that might help him because this is gonna be nominant. Man, deebo, I'm not I'm not rocking with that.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: What's the coldest weather game you ever played?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 3: I know what mine is. I think it was against y'all.
Speaker 2: Man. I know I played in Cleveland, like negative three.
Speaker 3: Bruh. It was the game. I want to say.
Speaker 1: It was like two thousand and eight or something in Cleveland.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: It was like wind hell snow is.
Speaker 1: Freezing off the lake, Bro, and everybody out there they talking about, Man, it's so cold. Man. It's cold as this is that man, And I'm like, man, y'all shut up in except around here.
Speaker 3: I been here, I live here.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 3: This ain't nothing. Man. BRO. When I say I stepped out that tunnel.
Speaker 1: And the tea, it felt like real life needles, yes, sticking through my arm.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: We had a you get fined thousand dollars. You were sleeve run. If it wasn't for me talking so reckless and crazy, I almost turned around immediately and went back into the locker room.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure you had none of you couldn't. You didn't. I couldn't all that. I couldn't, bruh. That is the only game we lost. We lost.
Speaker 1: You lost, and I did not give a fiddle faddle. I wanted to get off that field because even a halftime. Bro, you know how you get in there at halftime and when you're hot, you feel the heat coming off your body. I felt the ice rising. I felt cold like I was in a freezer from the cold and it's rising off my body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's that.
Speaker 2: That's that. That's that weather. It's no joke. I don't I can't stand the cold. So we just be out there, but you better get it three and out so I can get over to that heated bench.
Speaker 3: Please listen, bro, we was going over there on timeouts. You no, for sure, thirty second timeouts, Joe. I ain't never did that day in my life. Bro.
Speaker 2: I'm waiting, Bro, I'm looking at debo. I was doing that the whole time, waiting for the looking at the reft, waiting to blow the whistle.
Speaker 1: So as you come out there, Hey, we got TV or not? We got t ain't about to leave? We got TV or not? We're rolling or we got this or that man on.
Speaker 2: The field with the gloves or not.
Speaker 3: You want to feel with the gloves. I'm on the sideline.
Speaker 1: Washington Morris gloves right there, Joe, Yes, man, we gotta get to this man. It's twelve ten, man, Oh you know what time it is. Play a fad, all right, Joe. You know how it works. You play it or you faded?
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I got Josh Allen over here, buff more on Russian. I already know that he go do what he gotta do. He goes scramble, get loose on that thing he got, got purty, he go he go throw a pick.
Speaker 3: That's just what he do.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: He had gunslinger, he you know.
Speaker 1: And on top of that, like last week when the tight end didn't relate and come down on that route. Yeah, I think he gonna have some issues where you know where that may happen.
Speaker 3: C J. I'm gonna say he gonna have more on rushing.
Speaker 1: The reason I say he's gonna have Russian is I believe they probably told him you cannot turn the ball over if you don't do anything else. Take off off, do not do not. Do not turn the ball over. I don't care if you get sack. Do not throw the ball into a ill avised situation.
Speaker 3: That is the only way that they're going to have.
Speaker 1: A chance to be able to beat New England in New England now and the other one.
Speaker 3: We just talked about that. Oh that is obvious. Less, that's less. Let's what you go do, Joe.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna, I'm gonna. I'm gonna play this. I'm gonna play this, and I'm gonna just be watching because once the first once my man if c j strout, my.
Speaker 3: Good man gets over ten and a half.
Speaker 2: This joint is good as were good as one good a watching this strout after that man's were getting the bucks.
Speaker 3: Listen, your boy, Joe, go play with your boy. Don't put out there.
Speaker 1: Let's make sure your guys download that after day and use their code debout Joe, Yes in lineups, after you play your first five dollar lineup. All right, look here we got some super chats. We got Kenneth Pile twenty seventy nine. He donated five dollars. He said, I say they need to hire d boys head coach.
Speaker 3: What do you think of that? Joe? I agree wholeheartedly, because yes, gonna do.
Speaker 2: You're gonna yeah, because you want a job, right, you know what you don't I know I would like the cornerback position.
Speaker 3: I got you know, you in there and you know. I'm I'm a.
Speaker 2: Coaching boys all the way up, folks show we're gonna be out there getting all the picks, and then I know you're gonna hire an offensive mine that we need to make sure an offense is ran a proper way.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, what we got here? What does that? Because the Ruins don't what let me see if it's on here.
Speaker 1: Stelson fourteen donated ten dollars said Tomman got a chance to be in the Great Coach Conversation because the rumors don't fire coaches any other owner and he'd been gone by twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: What do you think of that, Joe.
Speaker 2: I would say, I think after they won it in two thousand and eight, went back to the super Bowl in twenty ten, I think the Steelers just the fans you get, you get kinda you want to be, you want to win every single year.
Speaker 3: I understand that.
Speaker 2: I can say twenty twenty, he's I think it's I think it's right about time. Could have been two years, could have been last year, maybe the year before, but right now I think it's a grateful time for him to gracefully ballow out like it is what it is. I think he did he did it long enough at a great pace where it's not great base but just you know, you were making the playoffs, you were doing good, you won a Super Bowl, brought you back to another one. Since twenty ten, so it's been a minute. So I think it right now is the time that it's time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I personally I don't know about twenty but I think it should have been done.
Speaker 3: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I think it should have been a little a little sooner. We got diamond for underscore. One donated five dollars. Said, I like Brian Florash for head coach. Nate what is that Silhouse for oc raheem Moors for DC her Dad tremblest or Taylor Green for to complete, to complete, to compete with Will for quarterback.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I like, I like, I like, I like floor Ass, but I.
Speaker 3: Like him as a as a coordinator, as d C. Yeah, I like him as a d C. I'm with you, Uh you know that as the head coach? Yeah, what are you thinking, Nate? That's the o C. Nate?
Speaker 2: Sure, where's Nate at shell House?
Speaker 3: It's sill.
Speaker 1: It's it's like shoe but it's it's too so it's shell has Where is he out of us?
Speaker 3: I don't know. That's why I was asking where. I don't know where. No house is either.
Speaker 2: Rams Okay, okay, okay, Hey, that's look for offensive coordina. I want if you learn from m Let's see what McVeigh.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know that that that that don't don't give me that instant, But it.
Speaker 3: Don't give you that instant. That's what we need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I need I need I need that instant as soon as I hear the name, as soon as I think like, I need that, and I just you know, we got Mike, and Mike donated Mike and Mike dashed one hundred donated ten bucks.
Speaker 3: Said, what's up, d one Joe.
Speaker 1: That's the next Steeler coach last as long as Timlin did? Or do they have to step down a few seasons if they can.
Speaker 3: Get a ring.
Speaker 1: After a few seasons, Or do they have to step down after a few seasons if they can't get a ring? Hell no, listen, I'm trying to tell y'all the next coach with me. I'm giving me five years, give me, I'm giving me time to build up for the first three and then after that I got to see grave improvements. Indeed, that's what I got it, that's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 3: I'm rocking with that. But and this is what you don't.
Speaker 2: You need to see like a legitimate change, you know what I'm saying, the legitimate Like I need to see the culture change.
Speaker 3: And like if I like the.
Speaker 2: Way that when the Patriots they ended up getting rid of Belichick and then my man, what's my man name, Jared Mayo, he went out there for a year and they went four and thirteen, and he's like they had Bell Belichick for twenty years and he quickly was able to fire Mayo because it just wasn't what he was with and now able to hire the coach they have now, Rabel. So it's like, I think the Steelers are going to have to do a really good job of really like this the guy that you're gonna be with, because they don't really having to pick the guy too many times, so it's hard to be able to find that guy.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, you gotta realize it ain't nobody.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's nobody in that workmization right now that actually went through the process of finally, uh, coach t or that was truly.
Speaker 3: Involved in it. So that's the point where it's like coaches aren't easy.
Speaker 2: When you find the man that you really kind of believe in, you gotta gotta stick to us.
Speaker 3: I'm respect I don't, I don't know you.
Speaker 1: I think I think that's a problem that that a lot of like coaches have, especially with their higher drave choices. They stick with him until it's too late, and they stick with him too long, so they'll just hold on to him, knowing that after year or two that's not what they want or need, but instead of letting go, they'll hold on to him to.
Speaker 2: The being like, look, they got to be able to say I messed up.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: A lot of guys, A lot of guys won't do that. I mean some some some some guys. Do you see guys getting up out of there, you see a first round or that you know, year after year or two he done went to two three other teams and you know, yeah, So I mean, but you gotta be willing and ready to do that in the mid fault and when that happens.
Speaker 3: I don't think we had that. I know ain't had that.
Speaker 1: I mean we held on to guys for for longer than we we should have. And we know that because we didn't re sign up to long term deals. We just held on to them because it was there, and you know, so on and so forth. So South still has thirty six donated two bucks. Said Deebo, are you serious about d C? No, I am not serious about d C. He said, you got my vote. I'm serious about head coach. I ain't coming in there. I ain't coming in there on no bottom, I ain't coming in on the side.
Speaker 3: I can't. I can't be on the side. Gotta be on I gotta. I gotta be on top because I got.
Speaker 1: To put the people in place to make sure that everything flows smoothly.
Speaker 3: Your staff, it's gonna be automatic.
Speaker 1: Your staff has to be sitting there and buying into what it is you're doing and everybody else is doing. We got to be speaking the same language. Got to saying the same thing. Nobody can be saying something different. I know it was times where it was coaches where they were saying two different things about the same play.
Speaker 3: You can't have that.
Speaker 2: You can now, that's as a thing as us recipe fulfilm.
Speaker 1: I did it this way or I think you should do it that way. It's the I think you should do it this way ones that kill me because you ain't played the game. How you gonna tell me how to do it? You ain't even never went out here and did it. That's why I need a coach that played the position that I played and did it successfully. You know what I'm saying, I think you should do it this way is crazy, Like I dude, I just don't.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't want to. I don't understand that. Dude. Right, Oh, d we had twenty coach. Yeah, let's get up out it. Hey.
Speaker 1: We want to thank you guys for joining us on this episode the Debo and Joe. Please make sure you like, subscribe and download whereas possible this show.
Speaker 3: Baby. Hey, Joe, Yes, got to say, Joe say.
Speaker 2: I will see y'all on Monday on another episode of Debo and Joe.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're about to watch these games this weekend. We're gonna be right back on this thing on Monday. Letting y'all know how go y'all know how we break it down. You know what I'm saying, y'all, Come, y'all, come, y'all, come to here, y'all know you know what it is, you know what it is, Hey, and we are