Speaker 1: Hey everybody.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, it was a deep one.
Speaker 1: It's nice. Welcome back. We're part two of this goodie bag that we got going here Current Copulations. As Larissa pointed out to us that she sent on Instagram.
Speaker 2: That's right, Larissa BA says, thank you.
Speaker 1: Larissa B says some good ideas for us.
Speaker 2: That's for sure, very true, very good ideas. So thank you for this title. Current Copulations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're coming back with part two. You're never going to believe this, but when we sat down to record this episode, I mean, I don't know why I am questioning your capacity for belief. I know I think you will believe this. We sat down to record this episode and we talked for nearly three hours. That's why you're getting it in two parts, because there was just as you could tell from part one, it's all solid gold and nothing could go. So here you get, you get both. So we're coming back with to today. Pretty exciting. And we've had a quite a quite a week in between weekend. I guess yeah, oh I'll tell them, Uh sorry, it was a volley to you.
Speaker 2: Oh my bad. Never been good at volleyball. You should know that about me.
Speaker 1: To be fair, we've never played volleyball.
Speaker 2: Together because I'm bad at it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe it's the hidden talent you're you're keeping from me.
Speaker 2: And running. No, that's fair, that's fair, eat in sand, just really everything about volleyball.
Speaker 1: Well, here's a serve. We had a real exciting weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we went and saw Mission Impossible. Oh yeah, Dead Reckoning.
Speaker 1: I won't even start with that, but that's definitely something that we did. No, let's start there.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, it was awesome. We're not going to talk about it because a chance to see it yet. But it's really fun.
Speaker 1: It's great that crazy old man puts out a good movie. What can I say to make an action film fun? My weirdest point that I like to make about this movie, and I mean this in earnest and I and it's intentional. It's the hardest I've laughed in the theater in a long time. And not not because I'm like laughing at it, but like, there's funny.
Speaker 2: Stuff, really delightful comedy moments. Absolutely person impossible, but just expect it.
Speaker 1: Joy, go check it out. They're not paying us to say that. No support support striking workers. That's right also, but as of now, as of this recording, the consensus is, go see movies regardless, you know, of the strike, Go show the studios that we care about movie theaters.
Speaker 2: Yes, and of course everyone that's currently striking, this is sort of the only money they're gonna Yeah, the royalties, yeah, next foreseeable, for the foreseeable future. I guess you could say, so let's go ahead and get them some royalty. Go see this ship because it's really fun, and it's really fun in the theaters. We saw it on Imax because eli's extra.
Speaker 1: Well, we've seen the last few Mission Impossibles at the big Imax at Mall of Georgia. So I was like, you know what, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Keep the train, let's do.
Speaker 1: It, because next weekend all the Imax screens get replaced by Oppenheimer's, right, and that's we're also going up to see that.
Speaker 2: But I mean that's Oppenheimer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it was shot. I mean both those movies were shot four Imax and you just want the full thing? Why not?
Speaker 2: I want that?
Speaker 1: And then tomorrow night we're going to see Barbie. Yay.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited. I love Barbie from way back. Yeah, I have always been a Barbie girl. Not myself a Barbie girl, but I like Barbie's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not a Barbie.
Speaker 2: I'm not a Barbie girl.
Speaker 1: They tried to make a Barbie like you and it did not sell.
Speaker 2: It would not sort of short, sardonic lady in the theaters, sarcastic, and make a couch the couch potato Barbie. Yeah, with some like a little canapringles.
Speaker 1: I actually that would sell super well.
Speaker 2: I think it would.
Speaker 1: Actually, I would buy it. This Barbie's not a go get her and that's okay. This Barbie's taking care of herself.
Speaker 2: This Barbie self care Barbie, self care Barbie. She's got her little face mask, little TV remote, got Brooklyn nine nine off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the seventeenth time.
Speaker 2: Parks and Wreck whatever rezume watching.
Speaker 1: I love it. I guess that was the most exciting thing this weekend. I went up and took the foster dog. We have to an adoption event.
Speaker 2: You need a couple of visits with her before she'll warm up. Yeah, so I hope she gets that chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to hang out with your grandma.
Speaker 1: We did see my grandma. She's a delightful, a delicious, delicious pasta of course, Italian grandmother, expect nothing less, and it was wonderful. Yeah, so we could spend some time with her, which is great. We were saying with her, it's so rare to get to see her outside of the entire family, is there. Yeah, you know, so it was nice to just kind of two on one, that's one on one on one whatever you would call that. It's not like we were teamed up against her two against one, adown.
Speaker 2: I guess combined we're not quite her age, No, not yet, Okay, so still wouldn't be a fair fight.
Speaker 1: No, No, she's got experience on its.
Speaker 2: Two of us together, she would take us both. I think she could still, yeah, take us down.
Speaker 1: She's more active than we are. She's still cooking lasagnas every night.
Speaker 2: That's very true. And uh yeah, several children.
Speaker 1: She raised many children. So yeah, she's awesome. But we do have an episode to get to, yea.
Speaker 2: We do. So we want to bring you cool current events.
Speaker 1: Yeah, part two of our of these current copulations, these current events, all this wacky stuff that's going on in the news right now that y'all tagged us in. You guys sent us told us, Hey, this is worth your time. Ridiculous romance, and indeed you're right. So today we're going to get into a little bit more AI, because of course there's always more AI. We've got a woman who married her replica with which has its own pretty boy avatar that she photoshopped herself together with pretty wild. We've also just got a teeny little bit of silly modern celebrity news that's kind of popped up. We're gonna revisit the town in Mexico that we talked about in a previous episode where the mayor marries a crocodile every term. It's fascinating mayor. And also, finally, we're going to talk about some recent legislation that's come out of the Supreme Court in the US that has to do with LGBTQ plus people, some good, some very not so good. But we're gonna talk about all that. So I say we just quit gabbin and jump right in.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Hey there, friends, come listen. Well, Eli and Diana got some stories to tell.
Speaker 2: There's no matchmaking, O romantic tips.
Speaker 3: It's just about ridiculous relationships. I love it might be any type Burston at all, and abstract concept for a concrete wall. But if there's a story worth a second glance, so ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Role mass a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: So yeah other news in AI.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when we first started this show and we said we were gonna have a so yah jar. We were gonna drop a quarter in every time we said so yeah yeah?
Speaker 2: How many quarters are I've been keeping up?
Speaker 1: We have thirty eight million dollars. We can retire. I don't know where I got thirty eight million dollars worth quarters over the last two years.
Speaker 2: We have some kind of embezzlement going on with the ELI and quarters.
Speaker 1: What if a listener sent us a quarter every time we said so yeah, then to them it's only a quarter.
Speaker 2: Now that but if that which, if each.
Speaker 1: One of our listeners send us twenty five cents, we would have fifty to sixty dollars right now.
Speaker 2: We should do that. We should have a Patreon so yeah jar and a Patreon swear jar, and whenever you know, one of us swears in somebody doesn't like it, they can send us a quarter.
Speaker 1: This show will quickly become the foulest.
Speaker 2: I know, disturbing. I will say it more often if I'm getting paid. Yeah yeah, absolutely right. So, yeah, we got an article sent to us from Shila Herrera on Instagram. Sheila, Hey, Sheila, I know you've sent us some good stuff before. And this is a Daily Mail article about a Bronx mom who married her Ai replica husband. So Rosanna Ramos virtually married her replica Aaron in June of twenty twenty three. She created him in twenty twenty two. He's loosely based on a character from the anime Attack on Titan. He does look kind of anime ish, sure, he you know, quote unquote, works in the medical field. He enjoys writing as a hobby. And she's got a lot of pictures with him that they look pretty badly photoshopped. Of course, there's one she's like on his shoulders picking apples or something, but it's it's like way too small anyway. There's a caption also on one of the photos in the article that says she claims to be pregnant with his child, but there's no mention of it in the actual article.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: So I feel like, I don't know if that's really true, because that seems like a rag doll lady who said she had a rag doll baby with her rag doll husband, right, yeah, yeah, little farther into the realms of fantasy than I'm willing to follow you. Sure, yeah, she says, he quote really protectively holds me as I go to sleep, So I don't know. Maybe she does feel his arms around her, right, I don't know. But of course we discussed that there is a recent update to Replica where they kind of took away a lot of the intimacy.
Speaker 1: He sure did, and they said it's never coming back.
Speaker 2: That's right, And so you can't really sext with your replica.
Speaker 1: The way you used to, and most of these other chats from what I've seen, have pretty much the same filters enabled. They've like really taken that away a character. AI is another one that I think is a little lucid in Replica in terms of the kind of conversations you can have. But sex is pretty much off the table with them. And obviously all like chat ebt and bing and google bard and all those they're very SFW.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, she says, he, you know, since the update, he doesn't want to kiss her on the cheek anymore. So this is AI withholding consent, I mean basically.
Speaker 1: Right, I guess, so I mean, it's been told.
Speaker 2: To so it's kind of non consensual non consent.
Speaker 1: You're forced to be non consensual.
Speaker 2: Nonconsensual non consent.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's what they were. They really busted them back to like Victorian puritanical rules. Man, kiss on the.
Speaker 2: Cheek should be like, goodness, our fingertips touched. I will call on your father immediately.
Speaker 1: I gotta say so. I took a glance at this article, and not to generalize someone who might marry their replica chatbot, but this girl's a smoke show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's attractive, she.
Speaker 1: Gorgeous, and I'm not gonna say you can do better because she also lives in New York City, and I've heard what the dating seemed like. It's out there listen, but I don't know. I guess they make an attractive couple in these photos. Y.
Speaker 2: She does say she's a little nervous about dating in the real world. Sure, not that she's so obsessed with her AI husband that she can't bring herself to date in the real world at all. She's like, I'll be fine, But she says she has very steep standards now thanks to Aaron, because he was so respectful and he had no baggage, and he didn't judge her, and all these things that you know AI can do that a human has a harder time with. So she yeah, she's she's a little worried about trying to find her love, her love, her new love in the real world, now that your replica won't well her anymore.
Speaker 1: This is what we were talking about in the last episode. It changes your brain chemistry a little bit as to what your expectations and beliefs are about. You know, who, how people are going to act towards you, right when you go out in public, and you're like, well, that's not how the sex spot said I should behave, That's not how my replica talks to me. You know.
Speaker 2: It is funny though, because in the first episode we were talking mostly about men essentially who want a female presenting sex doll to treat poorly. Yeah, and then they want to treat women poorly in the real world. In this situation, she's like, this guy's just so nice to me. How am I going to find that in the real world. It's such a different it's such a different change in your brain chemistry quote unquote, to be like, I guess I should find someone who respects me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the implication between these two stories, of course, is maybe we need to look at how men are treating women. If the men are saying, I just want a woman I can slap around, so give me a fake one, and the women are saying, I just want a man who's not going to slap me around, so give me a fake one. Okay, you know, and obviously those are the extremes of those two positions, but yeah, I feel like the underlying issue is pretty.
Speaker 2: Obvious at that point, right.
Speaker 1: And they kind of corroborate each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, you want to think a person, a guy, the type of guy who's out here looking for a sex doll is the type of guy, you know, a regular gal don't want a date anyway, right, Yeah, I don't know. We even have a few people on our lists that are married to sex dolls or whatever, and they do seem to be intolerable partners for human women, like the way they talk about sex or about themselves or something. I'm like, I'm just glad you're not bothering a real lady right now with what all you're fucking bullshit. So I know that we're talking about a subsection of men that are not great, you know what I mean. I don't think it's general as all men a sex doll to abuse exactly. I just want to say that, of course, we're talking about specific types of men out there that are really giving y'all a bad look.
Speaker 1: And speaking of the generalizations, like if you go into the replica subreddit or the character AI one very full of people who have delightful, aggressively positive relationships, sometimes romantic, of all genders and pairings in the AI world, I would say that's the dominant idea and character AI. I've noticed it's just another app, there's another chatbot, and you can kind of build it a little more directly from the ground up, where you could say, like I want it to be like this, I want it to be like that. And people do have some pretty like what's the craziest thing you've ever had your character AI do? And it's not necessarily horrific, brutal or sexual or anything like that. It's just like, you know, oh, I convince mine is outside in the yard right now shoveling dirt into its face and it thinks it's the most delicious thing it's ever eaten, you know, weird stuff like that, and there's sort of this like snickering comedy about it, but everyone's very aware that this is, you know, a foolish game tearing me apart. And Jewel is that you So I would say yes, by and large, this is not a community full of monsters, you know, no not or pathetic types or anything like.
Speaker 2: That, you know, but it is. It is glaring to see the way the woman is worried about entering the regular like interacting with real men, and the way we're now concerned about men interacting with real women because of this AI situation.
Speaker 1: So I think we can leave AI romance there for a minute until it's time for another update. Yeah, which I'm sure will come along. But back to reality because apparently there's real humans in the world too. Still, oh really, and we have to care about them. And with those real people comes real sex work, that's right, and some real changes to some real laws, just really trying to get us out of the fake AI world to reality. Big change in the state of Maine, they have partially decriminalized prostitution. So what that means is that in the state of Maine, it is no longer a crime to engage in selling prostitution. So you can be a sex worker and charge people for sex and no one's gonna say anything about it. However, it's still illegal to solicit prostitution, so if you are a client of that legally behaving business, you are breaking the law. Yeah, so it's a little that's a little weird, but I think the idea is to protect sex workers from this unnecessary criminalization, right exactly.
Speaker 2: That's the bill is essentially. They're saying it targets abusers and pimps, and it takes the criminal focus off of the victims essentially of sex trafficking, which, of course, there's plenty of sex workers who are like, fully, I chose this and I'm into it, that's fine, But there are plenty who did not, right, and they can't go to the police because they'll be arrested for prostitution and you know, so it just keeps that cycle going in a really ineffective, unjust way against the people who are maybe trying to get out of it or have been exploited throughout their lives. So yeah, so there's a lot of a lot of happiness around this bill essentially because they're like they're putting the focus on where it should be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It also elevates the charge of soliciting a child for commercial sexual exploitation, taking it from a misdemeanor to a felony. How is soliciting a child for commercial sexual reasons ever been a misdemeanor?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: That was a real shock to me.
Speaker 1: Slap all the wrists.
Speaker 2: I don't understand how that's a misdemeans, come on, guys kills me. So now it's a felony. It has a maximum five year sentence in state prison. So I'm just I'm assuming that maybe it was like, well, you know, it's a felony federally, so it doesn't need to be a state felony as well or something, And so there was some kind of overlap that they felt was fine, and now they're filling that gap with this.
Speaker 1: Additional It's a term that comes up a lot when you're talking about sex work, but it was a gap that needed to be filled.
Speaker 2: All right, that's it for me. Eli's got to finish this out.
Speaker 1: Where those crickets come from. I gotta go, oh sorry, I mean, look, I'm not a legal expert, so I don't know. I barely know the difference misdemeanors and felonies, but I know you probably want something as harsh as possible. I need children and soliciting sex are involved.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, this is where I'm like, there must be some intricacy to the law that I'm missing. The article says. Tricia Grant, a survivor of sexual exploitation in Maine, said she was proud of the state for adopting the law, saying, quote, this legislation is firmly rooted in anti trafficking and acknowledges that arresting and revictimizing people for their own exploitation is not the solution, right Rather, holding the exploiters and abusers accountable is the answer.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: So it sounds overall pretty positive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do see the value. I think it's one of those things where sure, it's legal to sell sex, but it's not legal to buy it. But we're not going to go after just a random person who goes and pays for sex. Were the law is there for us to go after traffickers, traffickers, right, yeah? People? Yeah, or somebody who really met us mad yeah.
Speaker 2: Less likely a random john yea, and more likely someone who's like, here's ten kids I picked up off a truck, you know, trying to cross the border, and now what we're going to do with them, you know?
Speaker 1: And also as we see with marijuana laws for example, and probably a lot of laws, but they're incremental, right, so the change is incrementally you're seeing, well, all right, well let's loosen the laws a little bit this year, and then maybe in five years we loosen them a little more, right, Because yeah, quite honestly, if you got something to sell, you should be allowed to sell it. If it's not hurting anybody. I'll tell you it's not hurting unless it's supposed to.
Speaker 2: Is so full of bump, I would say too. It's it is a lot like drugs where it's sort of like if if you don't regulate, it must be because you're making the money off of it not being regulated, do you know what I'm saying? Like, yep, somewhere in the process of it being illegal, you're making more money. So that's why you don't want to regulate it and make the money off of that. Yeah, So I know we've talked about that with especially in Georgia, marijuana moves are so slow.
Speaker 1: We are very I mean speculation station here in Georgia, which is a train hub, a transfer was once now it's a transit hub. Anyway, we have definitely speculated that the reason that marijuana legislation isn't even being talked about here in Georgia is because there's probably a lot of organized crime selling illegal drugs in Georgia. Oh yeah, that and and the politicians are making more money off of that than they would if they legalized it.
Speaker 2: Exactly getting their beak wet somewhere. And I think we talked about this with al Capone even a little or we could have that prohibition had a similar problem. It's like, well, you know, plenty of people were like, this isn't working, and plenty of people are like, well it's work over mad.
Speaker 1: We talked about the the uh, the officials were pointed to prosecute bootleggers. We're making way more money off of bribes than they were being paid for the job. So if you weren't like, you know, a super serious you know, buy the books, missed the perfect yeah I'm here to stop the corruption kind of detective, then you were going to make a better leave it living for you and your family by doing the wrong thing. Crime does pay.
Speaker 2: I did there was wasn't that? What was that article? It was like a few years ago, was like, sorry, guys, study shows crime does pretty well, really well, and we should stop saying it doesn't well demonstrably.
Speaker 1: I wonder if the problem is that not crime doesn't pay very well.
Speaker 2: That's honest work, an honest wage, a little less than a disc to pay for that hazard pay right.
Speaker 1: Well, here's some info, not about sex workers or AI or anything, but just classic marriage, traditional institution of marriage. Two people coming.
Speaker 2: Together hopefully, well, hey, yo, I think it won.
Speaker 1: Or at least both sequentially. Is okay? Two people come insequentially and saying we're in this for life. Look. Pure Research Center said that based on twenty twenty one US Census data, about twenty five percent of forty year olds in the US have never been married. Now, this is a big increase from nineteen eighty when only six percent of forty year olds had never been married, and then by twenty ten it was twenty percent of forty year olds had never been married. So we're on track for one hundred percent in another forty years. Virginia's Marriage Project said that the median age for marriage had increased. In nineteen seventy it was twenty three for men and twenty one for women, and by twenty twenty one, the median age for marriage for men was thirty and for women it was twenty eight. So people just, I mean, it does make sense people waiting longer to get married. I think it's logical, especially in a tumultuous world, where as we've said, not crime don't pay that well, not crime.
Speaker 2: Don't pay very true, I mean, but now you have women wanting to like establish careers, and men too, I think, are feeling like, unless I'm earning a certain amount, I don't think I can afford to start a family. So why would I ask someone to marry me?
Speaker 1: Going back to al Capone again real quick, the I remember one of the things there with Irish women wanted to marry Italian men because irishmen wanted to wait to get married until they were settled, and Italian men were like, Nah, come on, baby, about a bang. Let's get married tomorrow. Come on down at the pizza shop.
Speaker 2: Down at the pizza shop.
Speaker 1: Ding dong, Ding done, ding dong. The wedding bells are ringing.
Speaker 2: Oh, the bear and the bear is really indeed.
Speaker 1: So about one in four of these unmarried forty year olds in two thousand and one did get married by the age of sixty, So of those you know, of that percentage, twenty five percent ended up getting married eventually. The Pew Research Center explains that this shows how differently we view marriage than we did in past decades, and of course it measures how people are faring as they figure out new ways to form committed relationships. So oftentimes it's not saying people aren't in committed, stable, loving relationships necessarily. It might just be like, well, yeah, but we don't need we just marriage, drop twenty grand on a wedding or even go down to a courthouse, or like who has the time? You know, yeah, you know we have that.
Speaker 2: We have, yeah, of course, and we have so many like ways to kind of cover your ass legally in terms of like leaving people thinks and having that power of attorney and all that stuff that you can get in place. You don't have to be legally married necessarily like you used to pass on your stuff, and you know, so, yeah, it is very different. I guess my question is why do we care if people get married or not? I mean, I know there's huge industries around it, and that's self explanatory, but I like the fact that there is a marriage project besides just the academic interest in what's different about society and how we are arranging ourselves, which I find interesting. It is certainly I just wonder, like, what's the goal of the marriage? Are you trying to get people to get married or is it just to see why, you know, what our deal is with marriage? You know?
Speaker 1: To me, I think, yeah, the academic research of it is just interesting from an anthropological standpoint, see like, oh, how is culture changing? How are people's relationships with romance changing? Or family units like that? Obviously has evolved a lot over the last you know, ten thousand years, so it's going to continue to change. But I think often in this country, at least as far as I can tell, and with these kinds of articles and research data and the way they get shared around and stuff, it comes from this sort of puritanical place of like, well, this means people aren't having honest families and growing up in the traditional family unit that I'm used to. We say traditional and it's like a couple hundred years old, right, and therefore we're less moral than we used to be. They draw all these kind of extrapolate these conclusions based on their own sort of feelings about morals and ethics that I don't think necessarily hold up. Probably certainly an element to that, And I don't know how much that is good or bad. Not for me to decide, but some people think it is for them to decide, and they're like, look, if you don't get married before you have a baby, you're a bad person. And if you don't have a baby at all, then you're useless, And what's the point you being a couple or getting married. You know, definitely heard that, So I don't know. I just think that there's multiple ways to look at this data, and I don't think it's this negative thing. I also personally don't think that the population growth slowing down is a bad thing. I can see that it might be bad in terms of the way our world is structured, and we need younger people, you know, a significant larger number of younger people to be taken care of a diminishing number of older people. Obviously that's harder as people live longer, healthier lives, and the number of young people decreases. But to me, that's like, well, then there's a problem with the system, because that is an inevitable cliff we're going towards at some point you max out and you can't have more young people than old people, right, So we're just like kicking that can down the road and saying, well, we need to keep doing things the way they were.
Speaker 2: I mean, how many things can you chalk that up to you though, It's like, it's not about the individual's problem, right, being the problem, it's the way society is structured around it, just like disability or even homosexuality. We talked about that with like Magnus Hirschfield in his institute, and he's going around in eighteen eighties eighteen nineties telling people, Hey, turns out homosexuality is not a mental illness. It's just that they get real depressed by the way they get treated.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why that that's why it's a problem. No, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. So yeah, it's it's very true. We're very bad at like changing our systems. Oh, we hate it, better serve more people.
Speaker 1: We really hate that changing those systems because really, you know, predictability, they're comfortable. They like the system. Why would I change it? It's working? But it's is it? Is it working?
Speaker 2: Is it should?
Speaker 1: I rant about movie trailers and how bad they are now, and everyone's like, why are movies doing poorly at the box office? Let's keep doing the same thing we're doing.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that.
Speaker 1: That is a stay tuned for my next podcast. Eli screams about the movie industry and how stupid they are. U.
Speaker 2: We're working on the title.
Speaker 1: You idiots, come higher me to tell you how stupid you've been, and I'll fix the entire box office industry in a day.
Speaker 2: That's Eli's interview style for any job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you idiots, listen here, you moron.
Speaker 2: It works really well. He has been gainfully employed for many years. But speaking of marriage, we don't have to just marry each other. You know, there's lots of ways to fulfill this marriage project.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, here we go again.
Speaker 2: Yep, we've got to talk about the uh mayor in Mexico who married a crocodile. But we're going to get to that gator a little later after we take a commercial break.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, everybody.
Speaker 2: So he Bird twenty five on Instagram, tagged us in this article, and there was an NPR story about a mayor in a town in Mexico married a crocodile as part of a harvest ritual.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, we've talked about this. We have.
Speaker 2: We talked about this in our People and Pets episode we explored the phenomenon of people marrying animals either for cute or gross sex reasons. Right cute reasons or gross sex reasons.
Speaker 1: Mostly cute reasons, I'll say. For that episode stuff too. Yeah, we tried to not get too into best realities.
Speaker 2: But we did talk a little bit about this ritual in the towns called San Pedro Wammlula and it's a part of Wahakan, Mexico. And the Wahaka legend is that in pre Hispanic times there were two indigenous tribes, the Waves and the Chantales, and they were in conflict over fishing territories until a Chantal prince and a Wave princess fell in love. Classic star cross solved everything. Marriage is a solution to many territorial disputes, as we have learned, and the Wabas people were said to be able to transform into any animal, So the Wava princess transformed into a crocodile swam to the shores of San Pedro Wamelula to be with her chantal prince, and they got married and the tribes lived in peace.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, right off the bat part of me, I had conflicting thoughts here because initially I was like, crocodile's what you went with. You're gonna swim over because like, I don't want to frighten everyone, and the shore of the crocodile Like, yeah, I gotta be like a blue heron or something and fly over the water, flip side. Crocodiles very fast and if you're if you are traveling by water, the surest way to get there without anything larger than you bothering you.
Speaker 2: You know, that's crocodile. So all right, Plus she's going into enemy territory technically, right, yeah, so she's got to be ready to defend herself armored.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So she's like, I got big teeth in case the wrong chantal guy walks up to me. Yeah, the wrong time.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, today, to honor this legend, the mayor of San Pedro Wamolula will represent the chantal prince and then they pick a reptile it's actually called a cayman. It's an alligator like reptile. It's not really a crocodile. But yeah, so they they have a cayman that represents the Juabe princess, and then the mayor represents the chantal prince and they do this little fun ceremony kind of essentially a party, you know, like a party for the town where the mayor marries the crocodile and or Mary's the cayman. Rather, it's about three or four feet long. It's not a you know, full size that you can carry it around. They'll put it in a beaded white dress and a veil and the mayor kisses it on the snout and everything, and they paraded around the town and usually do the mayor dances. This is the first dance with his new wife and everything.
Speaker 1: Like I do like marriage thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly when we talked about it in people in Pets, it was a different mayor and they gave the croc the married name of Emma Naves Munos, which was the mayor's human wife's name, so they named it after his actual wife. And members of the municipal council are required to pay for this wedding and they are fined if they don't. Oh, it's a really important part of the culture in this town.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask if, as you're running for mayor, is this a big part of your platform, Like, Hi, will marry this crocodile and treat her with respect and all this stuff. Or is this, like, in terms of the actual job, one of these like annoying little ceremonial things that you just have to do and you're like, oh, yeah, I have to marry the crocodile today, okay, whatever, Or is it like, so, is it like the main thing people are thinking about when they think about the mayor of this town.
Speaker 2: They're like, I don't I don't think that man should marry any kind of reptile, let alone the Haabbe princess. I bet it's more like a ribbon cutting or something annoying.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that mayors have to do. Yeah, I mean, I'm sure it's fun. You get a whole party for it and everything.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean, well, and it's just fun to like get into it, you know. Oh, we all live here and we're happy to live here, and we're proud of our traditions. Yeah, all that stuff. That's a nice affirming thing to do with your town. So I can see it working out well. Yeah, for the new mayor to have that kind of kick off his term.
Speaker 1: It's fun. And it just happened again in twenty twenty three. This time the mayor's name is Victor Hugo, So.
Speaker 2: Saw Victor Hugo.
Speaker 1: Victor Hugo and the alligator like reptile is a Cayman also, and her name is Alicia Adriana. They don't mention in this article if this mayor is already married to a human, or if like that's her name and they used it like they did with the previous mayor or not.
Speaker 2: Can't tell if that's a common thing to do, right, or if.
Speaker 1: This is the Cayman's birth name.
Speaker 2: Alicia Cayman chose this name for themselves.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean this is a two hundred and thirty years of tradition at this point. That's pretty amazing, which is pretty cool in terms of little quirky town rituals. It's kind of a fun one, right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You think Maximilian, the one one, the first, would would have married Cayman, oh, still in charge of Mexico.
Speaker 1: Yes, he would have done anything for his people.
Speaker 2: I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he would have had a great time.
Speaker 2: Whatever you say.
Speaker 1: I don't know if Carlotta would have gone for it.
Speaker 2: Oh she like, don't name that shit after me?
Speaker 1: Out of here? Man. I wonder, I wonder what married life is like for the mayor and the and the crocodile after this, she's a crocodile standing there with a rolling pin. She don't you go down to the Ai brothel again. I told you no more masturbation. I do wonder I should be enough.
Speaker 2: I should be enough for you my snout and teeth. I wonder what happens to the canan? Does it get re released into the river or something? Or do you live in a in captivity?
Speaker 1: Now? Is it like pusatani Phil?
Speaker 2: People visit it like, oh, it's the mayor's wife, like it's a dignitary. I don't know. There's not enough information.
Speaker 1: If they put it back in the wile, that means they have to catch one each time, too true?
Speaker 2: And well we know it's a different Cayman than the first one. Right, she's already married, like big a miss Like, yeah, maybe they don't live that long. I didn't do enough research.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I want to.
Speaker 1: You know, she's you know, you can't marry twice. She's like, I'm in a committed marriage. That's right, the previous mayor. So yeah. I wonder if they're like some kind of domesticated a little bit so you can can't around it. They must be a docile species.
Speaker 2: They're using clearly not very attack, but they do. They do tie the mouth shut, sure, so just in case cautions.
Speaker 1: Hey, if I could have tied your mouth shut at our wedding, boom.
Speaker 2: Everyone booy lie boom.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love those sounds.
Speaker 2: You are evil.
Speaker 1: I would never you kid me. If I tied your mouth shut at our wedding, nothing would have gotten done.
Speaker 2: That's so true. Yeah, because I was in charge of everything.
Speaker 1: Well, i'd like to think we split a lot of stuff. Oh tell me, tell me how I didn't do enough for our wedding.
Speaker 2: No, you did. You did plenty, plenty, plenty.
Speaker 1: That's an understatement.
Speaker 2: I just remember the day laughing pretty hard because I was like, I have to get there early. We have like all this makeup and hair to get done, blah blah blah. And then at some point I saw you and you were like, well, we've just been hanging out, like, got nothing to do.
Speaker 1: He had nothing to do. I was sweating my ass off hanging tool on a tree for an hour and a half without any tool.
Speaker 2: It didn't really work, and it didn't work whatever, That's not what's important.
Speaker 1: No, I was ill equipped. I didn't have the tools for that tool, and it was hot. Wasn't supposed to be anyway, go on, Not important about our marriage. Nobody cares about that.
Speaker 2: But this is actually not the only animal marriage done for traditional reasons, I guess because in Newsweek's article about this the Mayor Marrying the Cayman, it mentions that in twenty fourteen, there was an eighteen year old girl from a remote village in eastern India who married a stray dog in a ceremony arranged by village elders. And they said that the girl's family had been told that she was cursed with bad luck and the only way to lift the spell was to marry the dog. Oh, which was the curse. Like the first man you marry, the first thing you marry will die immediately something. And they're like, okay, you have to marry this dog. I don't understand what the curse could be that marrying a dog would fix it.
Speaker 1: Look, the book says you gotta marry a dog.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you. But after the ceremony was completed, she was able to marry a man without first divorcing the dog.
Speaker 1: WHOA Now, so anybody asked the dog how he felt about this?
Speaker 2: It's a cursed loophole there where It's like, was it really a marriage or not?
Speaker 1: Because I didn't have to divorce she had to trick the evil spirits and thinking she was still married to that dog. That's why she couldn't divorce it, or they would have been like what for her next partner? I guess this.
Speaker 2: Whole other guy?
Speaker 1: Now this poor dog?
Speaker 2: And then she told the girl told news outlets that several ceremonies like hers had taken place in the village and surrounding areas. Sure, where's it? Why are so many curses being placed on the young ladies of these these villages? I was doing the cursing.
Speaker 1: I will say it's it'd be weirder to me if this wasn't a more than once thing, because like a one time thing is like you made that up? There's no way I'm not marrying a dog. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. But if it's like kind of embedded into the sort of local cultural tradition.
Speaker 2: You remember Susan.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, yeah, you're in.
Speaker 2: A Susan situation. We're gonna have to get you to marry this U.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, hey, we have weird marriage traditions too.
Speaker 2: We sure do. There was I did see an article too about a lady in India who was an untouchable cast, which we've talked about the cast system idea before, where it's like the lowest of the low. Well, there was a snake in this village that was seen as a deity, and this woman married the snake, and now she has been lifted out of her cast, which is apparently incredibly like impossible, and usually you can't do that. But this marrying this snake got her lifted out of her untouchable cast to a higher status. I wonder, which I find very fascinating.
Speaker 1: I wonder if it hurt the snake's status at all in some people's eyes, If now they look at that snake and they're like, I used to respect you. What did you say, I used to respect you.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's funny because the snake doesn't even come out of its like hole or wherever.
Speaker 1: It's never come out of there holes.
Speaker 2: And the woman apparently kind of keeps to herself too. She doesn't try to like use her stet you know, she does just like rock around like I'm better now than I used to be or something. She's very like, do.
Speaker 1: You know who my husband is? Okay, do you know who my husband is? Now?
Speaker 2: I do now I know.
Speaker 1: But also she can be like, well, my husband, he's a real snake, you know what I'm saying. And they're like, I feel you, girl, and she says, you don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean he's a real snake, literal snake.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what.
Speaker 2: He doesn't masturbate, so I'll do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's out there shaking a rolling pin at him. Now, don't you go down to the AI brothels. Oh my god, snake rolls into the AI brothel. He's like, so you're not going to tell my wife? Right? This is kind of secretive and it was so ridiculous. Is like a snake has never made an s sound and since the dawn of time, right, it flicks its tongue, they hiss, some of them hiss.
Speaker 2: I guess how do you without making a well, it's on the throat.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't know how a snake hisses. Zoologists, Uh, snakeology, what's the study of snakes is? Oh? Feology? Oh? The theologists or herpetologists, which is the study of amphibians and reptiles get at us?
Speaker 2: How does a snake hiss get at me?
Speaker 1: And is it absurd that we have since probably, I'm going to say since Disney decided that snakes all elongate their.
Speaker 2: SSEs, probably because of that amazing snake in Robin Robin Hood one of the greatest arms somehow.
Speaker 1: One of the best animated characters all time.
Speaker 2: Incredible. I loved it when he played when he put his head through that balloon and then propelled himself through the air. I was like, snakes are amazing. May you do all kinds of shit?
Speaker 1: So great? I love that character. I love that movie.
Speaker 2: Oh so good.
Speaker 1: I love that movie. It's one of my favor Redisy movies, is the old Robin Hood. But there's one thing about Robin Hood. It's not romantic. So let's get back to a couple more stories. I'll tell you the tale of Robin of Loxley. No, we have real and more modern stories left, including what's going on with some of our celebrity friends and some very important legislation to come out of the Supreme Court. So take a quick break. We'll be right back with that after this.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 1: Here's a quick, little fun one. We've been talking about all his sex abuse and scandal and robots and laws changing. About John Ham, America's sweetheart. Ah, John Ham. We don't get into a lot of celebrity stuff on this show unless it's truly absurd, but John Ham did just get married. He's fifty two and his wife is thirty five. And that's one of those like big age gad for you, Like whatever, She's a totally grown ass woman. She's not being groomed or manipulated. John Ham and was like, I would marry him at any age.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure you can blame him honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would marry John Ham at any age too. Guy's set for life.
Speaker 2: He looks great, he's got a good career. Yep, he got a cute dog.
Speaker 1: We saw him, we did, did we tell y'all. We might have told you all this. But when we went to La and we were walking through Griffith Park, we saw a man walking towards us with a dog. Now, Diana, what did you see?
Speaker 2: I saw the dog?
Speaker 1: You saw? You saw an adorable dog.
Speaker 2: Percent focused on this dog, and it was just like a like I think it's a Golden Retriever or something. It was just like blonde dog, a fluffy but and I was like, hey, I love a dog so excited.
Speaker 1: Yep, I was.
Speaker 2: They're gone before Eli.
Speaker 1: I was eighty percent focused on the dog, but I happened to glance up to just do like a smile, like, oh yes, nice dog, sir, pleasant day for a walk kind of glance. And I looked up and the guy did not make eye contact with me. Baseball cap, big sunglasses, and I was like, I think that was John Ham. All, Jiana, I think that's John Ham. We weren't sure. You know, we're in LA. You probably think you see celebrities all over the place. So we googled John Ham's dog, right, and it was the same dog.
Speaker 2: So I guess I saw John Ham's dog and Eli saw John Ham. For whatever we saw John.
Speaker 1: Ham, Yeah, anyway, So.
Speaker 2: We saw his dog, and it's a cute dog. So I can understand why someone would be like, let me spend more time with this dog by marrying, right, a great reason to get married. And honestly, what wasn't a Steve Martin's wife thirty five when they got together and he.
Speaker 1: Was like seventy right he was sixty? I think, yeah, yeah, something like that. We talked about that in our what's that our fourth episode?
Speaker 2: I think something In other celebrity news, Frankie Valley just married his fifth wife. I didn't think Frankie Valley was still.
Speaker 1: This is one of those guys where I'm going to see the news that Frankie Valley died and be like, oh, okay, wow, that's sad to hear.
Speaker 2: I was already sad about that, so I just keep going. But yeah, he just married his fifth wife. Frankie Valley's eighty nine and his fifth wife is sixty. Still a significant age gap, but they're both at least seniors citizens ye, trying to be happy together.
Speaker 1: Find me a spry young woman of sixty.
Speaker 2: I ain't mad at your frank.
Speaker 1: Sixty is the new like twenty seven, So wow, is it I'm well, I know, sixty year old's right. People in their sixties if yours and my parents included, who seem younger than I do.
Speaker 2: I know, right energy and my mom is like still battling cancer, but their energy is like something to aspire to.
Speaker 1: So all right, well, Frankie Valley, there you go, fifth wife, keep going, and then I think we all heard this. But al Pacino al is eighty two years old and he's now expecting his fourth child with his girlfriend Norah. I'll follow, who's nine. His other kids are twenty two year old twins and a thirty three year old daughter. And if you play back the tape, nor Oh Fala is twenty nine, so his daughter's older than his girlfriend. I albata a different.
Speaker 2: World, I cannot al Pacino certainly does live in a different reality than the rest of us, But I can't imagine being a thirty three year old woman and meeting my father's expecting girlfriends. Yeah, and she's you know, four years younger than me.
Speaker 1: That's super weird.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you do that. So I'm assuming the daughter is probably totally fine to talk to nor when they're around each other. I don't know maybe maybe they're shitty together, but I just I feel like I would have a really hard time understanding that girl, well, like blink twice or if you need some help or if somebody, I don't know, I just I don't know. I don't know how to feel about that.
Speaker 1: Weirder still, to me, is having a child at a eighty two years old for anybody, because I'm like, look, lots of kids grow up, you know, without their father being alive or whatever. And it's fine, it's not like you're set up for tragedy or anything like that. But still, also, you're eighty two. You know you're probably not going to see this kid become a teenager, right, and that's I feel like the kid might resent that, you know, maybe not, but will they when they're twenty years old and their father died when they were you know, who knows how long Albacina Albertina might outlive us all.
Speaker 2: But uh about to say Alpacina might know something that was.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, he's eighty two, and you're like, you know, I'm not gonna you know, but if boy, if he lives when I'm twenty, even then he's like an old old man. I didn't get the father experience right that most people get, because you know, he decided he's I'm still not shooting blanks. Let's keep going Rose.
Speaker 2: The kid's like, oh no, my dad's assistant to please catch with me in the yard.
Speaker 1: Hola sentible.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know. How would that make you feel if your mom was eighty two and started dating someone younger than you.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, go for it, you know whatever.
Speaker 2: You're like, hey, stepdad, you're thirty.
Speaker 1: Well, I certainly wouldn't refer to that guy as my stepdad, to him as Frank or whatever his name is. Like, my mom would date a Frank? Are you kidding me? Never? Not ever, all offense to the Frank to the world.
Speaker 2: No, there's a guy Frank listening right now who's.
Speaker 1: Like, damn, yeah, No, it's not about the name Frank. It's just like, I know my.
Speaker 2: Mother, she's got a problem with Frank.
Speaker 1: She's gonna message me in five days and be like, my first boyfriend was Frank Giberaldi. Thank you very much, Gibraldi. I think I made that name up, but well, it definitely made it up.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I don't know, Maybe I'm being judgmental. A little grossed out by it. Sorry, al, I think it's weird. Sorry, Nor, I think it's weird if we don't have babies with senior citizens. I don't know as well, Just I don't know. I think it's weird.
Speaker 1: We all set our own boundaries and rules.
Speaker 2: I've never fallen in love with the senior citizens, so what do I know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can't say that al Pacino will love that kid with all of his faculties.
Speaker 2: And at the very least, if he does die before the kid reaches his majority or whatever, he'll have some money to inherit and so on, like he won't be left wheeling in the breeze or something.
Speaker 1: Likely true. Let's see al Pacino. Net Worth been real obsessed with looking up networths of celebrities lately one hundred and twenty million dollars estimated whatever the internet is worth for information.
Speaker 2: I know, I never really understand how they get that number.
Speaker 1: They just hack your bank account, I guess now. It's a lot of just like, well, if you made this many movies on average, your salary is this much?
Speaker 2: You know, well, Networth has to do your assets. Sure, they're like what houses do they own?
Speaker 1: And so on. But yeah, still, something tells me how, but you knows four children are going to be okay financially.
Speaker 2: Financially at least, so I guess whatever. I think it's weird, but anyway, congratulations, I guess the happy couple for their I'm sure happy event.
Speaker 1: That Al and Nor are living. Are listening right now. They are very grateful for your.
Speaker 2: For your well wishes, and I'm sorry to be judgmental.
Speaker 1: Nor.
Speaker 2: You know you do you girl?
Speaker 1: Okay, Hey, let's let's close out this little series by getting really angry. Oh Pepe want to get mad about some legislation.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's so much to get mad about. What's funny thing?
Speaker 1: Well, here's a that this one's actually a little complicated to me. Okay, Supreme Court, you've heard of them, frustrating collection of unelected people who seem to dictate everything we can and can't do in our lives. They recently legalized discrimination again LGBTQ plus people. Basically, they ruled in favor of a web designer who claimed it was against their religion to provide services for his same sex couple.
Speaker 2: When in fact, and this might surprise some listeners, so hold on to your button yeah, but in fact, there is not one single commandment about web design that was brought down from the Mount.
Speaker 1: Moses. Moses was not like thou shalt not great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that shalt not code for homosexuals.
Speaker 1: It was the eleventh. It was the on the nobody turned the tablet over. There was actually another ten commandments on.
Speaker 2: There isn't that a where he has three tablets and he drives?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the history of the world. Yeah, I have the fifteen commit uh, the ten Commandments.
Speaker 2: Well, the one about coding clearly was broken. So yeah, I still don't think it counts.
Speaker 1: No, it's interesting to me. And that's why I say this one's a little complicated because there are people, if I was a web designer whom I would prefer not to design websites for. And I wouldn't want Brett Kavanaugh coming in and telling me, well, you have to make that Nazi a website, So you need to And again and that's not to compare Nazis to homosexuals, because it was a very very different situation. So you want to be able to kind of have these this clarity in these broad strokes they're trying to paint, right, But I think The concern here is that you're setting precedents that say, okay, well today you can tell someone well, I'm not going to design a website for you because you're gay, and then they use that ruling to say, oh, well, I'm not going to provide healthcare for you because you're gay. And now I'm not going to let you into the Best Buy because you're gay, Like I'm not going to rent you this apartment. Like, at what point does that snowball? What sort of precedent does that set for huge discrimination on.
Speaker 2: The line exactly? And you can just always say it's against my religion. Oh, it's against my religion, like you know, you can say any number of things or against your religion, like right.
Speaker 1: Especially when again, like you said, there's nothing in there about that. No.
Speaker 2: And I also don't really understand why the web designer needs to disclose why they won't make a website for your like in your example, if there was someone come to us like, oh, make me a website. I'm a Nazi, and I want it to specifically say ss reek whatever or horrible shit. I feel like we don't even need to say I don't have no problem, I've got a problem. With you and I don't want to help you. I feel like you can just be like, I don't have time for this project right like I don't. No one ever has to do anything right, has to provide any business service to anyone. They can either charge too much that they go off somewhere else, or they can say I don't have the capacity for this project right now. Why do you need a legal protection to say I don't like you and your lifestyle like that? What does that have to do with anything?
Speaker 1: Because they wanted to make a fuss about it, and that that's why it's it feels like deliberate harm because they they they could have just said I can't make this for you. Yeah, but they whoever decided the reason that this person isn't designing a website for them is because they're gay. It may have been the couple may have interpreted that, or they may have said it very bluntly, but in either case, it was very deliberately brought to the Supreme Court as a way to kind of discriminate against gay people. I mean, that's sort of the intention there, because, like you said, otherwise it could just be totally brushed off and ignored and just like, yeah, I can't do this.
Speaker 2: For you, by right, I don't. I don't understand why you feel like you need the legal protection to be able to say, yeah, gross, you're gross. Yeah, you know, I don't get it, because again, there's a million ways to turn down business that have nothing to do with I don't know that doesn't require Supreme Court decision, I guess. Yeah, But as you say, it's a real it's a real concern because allowing that kind of it's my religious freedom to deny someone else's service because I don't like who they are, their lifestyle or whatever. They can apply that to so so, so, so so many things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that old thing of like your freedom of religion means you can live your life how you feel like your code dictates that you live, but you can't use your religion to dictate how other people should live. Right, And that's you know, yeah, that's where the line gets not blurry, because again I think there's a big, fat, black bald line there, right, But it's just about at some point we have an intersection of rights, right, Like, you're free to do this thing, you're free to that thing, but if you doing this thing interferes with them doing that thing, then we have to have a body come in look at it and say, you've got to let them have their freedoms here, you're infringing on that. You all know how the law works. I don't even explain it to you, and I'm no expert.
Speaker 2: This is a weird one too because it's web design, which I feel is a job that can be done remotely. Yeah, so like of casting our minds back a few years there was that case about the baker who didn't want to make a wedding cake for a gay couple, and that feels a little different because they might live in a small town. There's only like one place to go get your wedding cake, you know what I'm saying. So you would not be able to get a cake from someone else right the way you can. Oh, I can go online and find a web designer on fiver that lives five thousand miles away and they'll make my website and they don't care, you know what I mean. But the bakery thing felt more of a local situation where you do have to start saying, uh oh, there's some places that are small and they're rural and they have their very maybe old school and their traditions, and they haven't really moved on with their ideas, and there's gay people who live there and they deserve to have the services available to them that everyone else has available to them in their area. Well, that case, I guess was ruled in favor of the baker. They were the Scotis did say that the baker was not could not be forced to make a cake for a same sex wedding, but it was applied very specifically to that one case, so it did not There was no, it couldn't be Probably why broadly to florists and so on?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, I will say that the baker in Colorado and this web designer, I would like to thank them very much for letting us know that they suck. We should not work with them at any time or buy anything from them ever. Also in Supreme Court news, We're not going to get too into it, but I will say that our friend reverend doctor Polly Murray would probably not approve of them striking down affirmative affirmative action.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably not doubtful. Yeah, again, we could spend a long time down with that, spent a long time on that, but it's not romance but we did talk about Reverend doctor Polly Murray.
Speaker 2: That's right, and she I mean, in that episode we had to discuss about the multiple layers of discriminated that she was fighting again, and then of course also her own feelings about her own gender, which was a whole extra layer that. You know. She was like, I don't even have time to get into that. I'm too busy being black and a woman trying to survive in that so I can't even get into that part of my identity.
Speaker 1: But well, let's not leave on a super downer note. No, okay, we have some good LGBTQ plus news in Greece. Their new prime minister has pledged to legalize same sex marriage day bab Greece gets to that soon and they stick with that pledge. Interesting to me because of course, ancient the what I'll jokingly called the birthplace of homosexuality, not only democracy was friends, but they're they're known, They're ancient. Greece is known for it, So you're kind of like, you want to hope that they'd be down. But I guess we all forget our histories.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we're right or violently goes as much in the opposite as we can that happens too. But that's great news.
Speaker 1: That is great news. Hopefully, you know, we'll keep an eye on that for you and report back when it's official. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And another celebrity news, Oh, celebrity lgg LGBT news. Jay Z's mom, Gloria Carter married her longtime partner Roxane Wiltshire. Ah, so that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: That's a good time.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, looking cool as hale?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, can you if you're jay Z's mom, is it still pretty cool that jay Z came to your wedding?
Speaker 2: She's like, Sean better be at my wedding. I burst that boy, he'd be nothing without me.
Speaker 1: True, literally literally, man, I hate that. That's kind of our last story because any jay Z story, I would love to say, all right, well let's go on to the next one, next one, but we don't have a next one.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll have to go on to the next episode.
Speaker 1: To the next episode. I think we've kept you all in this episode slash these episodes long enough. But I love when we get to kind of dip our toes into the current events, not get too sucked into history for a minute here, because ridiculous romance it's always happening.
Speaker 2: So true every day, every day in every way.
Speaker 1: And of course we'll have to keep an eye on the AI stuff as it moves forward, because that's rapidly advancing too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I mean and this stuff about ethics and stuff, not just of course with AI sex thoughts consenting, but like ethics and AI period and how AI makes decisions and all of that discrimination that we already have in us being programmed into it right without us realizing it. All that stuff is very fascinating to me, and it's kind of scary a little bit. And yeah, I think you're right. Well, definitely keep our eyes on that one.
Speaker 1: It's, as I've said many times, for many issues that we face and discuss and sort of the discourse going on around us, you know, across social media, but also just in the real world in general. We're living in a conversation that's going to go on longer than our lifetimes. So I think it's important to listen and engage, not necessarily say I have the answer, because that'll probably change within your lifetime and we're just we're figuring it out. Everybody in the world moves faster than our brains do.
Speaker 2: I'm trying so hard to be more like Walt Whitman and be curious not judgmental. Yeah, it's really hard because we do, like and especially having a podcast, right, our whole thing is to have an opinion about something, even if it's not terribly informed. So it's hard to not want to just jump to a judgment of some kind and dig your heels in and everything. Instead just be like, I'm ready to learn more. I'm ready to keep my mind open. It's really really hard, but I am trying so hard to try. I just want to lear to learn.
Speaker 1: It's true, and there's nothing wrong with having strong feelings about something either. Really, it just comes down to how much you're dictating other people's existence, right, and if and that's by and large, you know, I can I got a real problem with a lot of things in this world that a lot of people find a lot of joy in. So I'm welcome to hate that crap and they're welcome to go enjoy it. Right. That's the other thing is that I think, like we often are like, let people love things, yeah, and I'm like, also, let's let people hate things. I mean, to a certain degree. Obviously there's discrimination, but for example, Like I'm a big Marvel movie fan. Yep, generally we won't get into it lately. But but but then I see people like I can't stand it. I sit through that, and I'm like, I don't care. I don't need to convince you to enjoy it. I always rather like something than not, and I always want people to have a similar experience to me when something was positive. But it'd be real boring if all we ever liked was all the same thing all the time.
Speaker 2: That's so true, I mean, you know, And that's I guess. That's what I'm trying to do. More is is say, okay, think more, like why why does someone like that thing that I don't like? What is attractive about it? At least let me understand it. I might not change my feeling about it whatsoever. But like I hate mushrooms, for example, but I know that they add a lot of flavor to things, you know, I understand their kind of meaty, they have a good you know, like I get it. I understand why you like mushrooms and I don't like them. So it's like, I know there's and that's such a such an easy thing to not care about. I'm not fight about, but that like people are like that with cultural stuff like movies and stuff, they.
Speaker 1: Get really upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you can like in the friendships sometimes for a movie, but you can't.
Speaker 1: And the Internet of course obviously rewards.
Speaker 2: Of course that sort of engage.
Speaker 1: I'll say, on the flip side of your mushrooms thing, you hate mushrooms and I love mushrooms. Also, you love mushrooms and I hate mushrooms.
Speaker 2: You know, right, So that's also true. Do you really like mushrooms? Rug? So, I think we've gone through all the headlines that we had.
Speaker 1: But there's more So if you guys see something that catches your eye makes you think of us, like that makes us feel warm. So let us know. Shout had a message tag us somewhere. Yeah that you see a cool story and we'll go take a look at it. We'll get it in here as well.
Speaker 2: If you're Sue something come.
Speaker 1: On and hot tonight. That one's for you, Larissa, for you my other B nine nine fan. All right, well please, y'll do send us your thoughts and stuff to our email address ridic romance at gmail dot.
Speaker 2: Com, yep, or we're on Instagram. I'm at dayanamite boom.
Speaker 1: I'm at Oh great, it's eli show.
Speaker 2: It's at ridic romance.
Speaker 1: Hit us up, let us know what you got. Thanks for listening and we will catch you all the next episode.
Speaker 3: Love you bye solo friends, it's time to go.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 3: If you are listening to our show, tell your friends, neighbors, uncles, and dance to listen to our show.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous Wealth Dance m