Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decide to drop into the show. Now, here's your host, Paul Charchian.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly. I am Paul Charchian. I have two co hosts today as usual. Brian Johnson, Hey, Brian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hey, what's up? No one cares about me?
Speaker 1: Nobody cares not today, No, because we've got this is your second time on the show, thor Thorney String. So do you want to give an official affiliation or you just Thorneiser nice drum.
Speaker 4: We can go with thorneistrom but I work for Fantasy Pros, but okay, call me all right.
Speaker 5: Either way it works.
Speaker 1: We're really glad to have you here because we spend our fall as totally immersed in the NFL and then we try to play catch up on the college guys in February March April. Role you do this all year round. You know so much more than we do, so perfect to bring you in to talk about all of the players that went after Round one. Last week's show. We did Round one players. We recorded on Friday, so we had all the Thursday stuff. I want to talk about the fantasy players who matter most that went to through seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was was going to require a lot of prep and the like. Let us get thork.
Speaker 5: I didn't have to do anything. I just go make.
Speaker 3: Rookies exactly were hooked up today.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh, I want to start the quarterback position. We'll hit all the hit quarterbacks, running back to wide receivers, tight ends. Again, we're not doing everybody, because you can't. That would be an enormously long, boring show. We're going to hit on the players who have the greatest chance of making some reasonably close term impact. So let's start at wide receiver as sorry, quarterback. And the first quarterback taken after the first round was Will Levis, who surprisingly fell out of the first round ends up at Tennessee as the possible.
Speaker 5: Air apparent to Ryan Tannehill. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Will, he's gonna start number three on the depth chair. We've already seen that. And there's a couple different things with his game that he needs to fix. The biggest one and the one that I'm most concerned about, it's the lack of pocket presence, He doesn't sense the pass rushers. That's something that they're going to use that developmental year to try to fix with him.
Speaker 5: We'll see if they they're.
Speaker 4: End up being able to do that, but yeah, I mean it's going to take that year.
Speaker 5: I don't expect to see him on the field in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: All right, that's critical for redraft. We don't think Will loves plays this year.
Speaker 5: But Tanhill's on the last year of his deal.
Speaker 1: Do you believe will Lovis is the probable starter for Tennessee next year?
Speaker 4: Yeah, in twenty twenty four, that's sort of what they're indicating. But yeah, I mean, I don't know. You're gonna have to see what you got in him that this coming season. But yeah, the thing that he has to fix it's the exact same thing that I use to pick out quarterback bus. It's the thing that Zach Wilson lacked. It's the thing that Drew Locke act. They haven't been able to fix it yet. Can you fix it with Will Levis? If you do, he's going to be a good quarterback. But that's a long bridge to get there.
Speaker 3: I'm going to disagree a little. I think there's a chance we see him on the field this year, really, because it's no longer it used to be the Titans Division in the AFC South like they trounced they were trounce the Jaguars, the Texans and who am I forgetting Colts the Colts soon in recent history. But now it's the Jaguars Division. And if you know the Titans go Billy up come mid late November, well they not.
Speaker 1: They effectively benched Ryan Tannehill last year, so you know that scenario is out there. All right, Let's move on to Hendon Hooker, the other, uh, the other the other quarterback that was often mocked into the first round but fell all the way to the third round.
Speaker 5: He goes to Detroit.
Speaker 3: What is the are getting mocked for taking into a little bit?
Speaker 1: But you know, at that point the value is pretty good. But people and and a year ago at this time nobody believed that Jared Goff was the quarterback of the future. Had a nice season and now people are more content there. But what are your thoughts again, not this year for Hendon Hooker, but long term dynasty value thor.
Speaker 4: It's funny because all spring I railed against this idea of Hendon Hooker as a first round pick. But it's like Brian was mentioning where he fell to the Lions in the draft. That's juice worth the squeeze in the spot. That's right around where I had him ranked on my big board. He's an older prospect coming in obviously he's coming out the knee injury, so you're not going to get any utility there from him as a rookie, right, but the Lions are clearly looking at him as a guy that they could potentially be the air apparent to Jared Goff. You see when he comes back, the thing he has to fix, well, it's not even fixed. It's just some we've literally never seen before Tennessee offense. It's not just that the field is cleved in half for you, It's that he could square his shoulders in his entire body to the side of the field that the play is designed to go to. We have never seen Hendon Hooker go to the other side of the field. He predominantly threw to his first read. He knew what side of the field he was going to, yep, And when he has moved off of his spot, he doesn't throw ever. I think it was one hundred and fifty five times last two seasons he was moved off his spot. In those instances, he completed seven passes.
Speaker 5: That's terrible. That is terrible.
Speaker 4: So he has to learn how to process while he's on the move. That stuff we just haven't seen before. Can they teach him that stuff during this injury red shirt season that's coming up? That will inform whether he is their quarterback of the future.
Speaker 3: If something were to happen to goff injury wise, not that he's injury prone or anything. Hooker right now is second on their depth chart. He would he be ready injury wise to play?
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I would be surprised if he's back in active before November's you know, that's when he suffered the injury. But maybe he could come back by October. But why would you want to throw him to the wolves when he has never done these things that the NFL offense is going to ask him to do.
Speaker 3: Well, you can throw them to the wolves so you won't have to play Nate Sudfield or Suidfield or Adrian Martinez.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Kansas State Wildcats.
Speaker 3: Of course you would know that last thing.
Speaker 1: I'll mention a Hooker in him possibly passing golf. We act like Jared Goff's got one foot in the grave.
Speaker 5: He's twenty eight.
Speaker 1: If Jared Goff still got potentially like eight decade of service ahead of him, Hendon Hooker got no interest even in Dynasty for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not for me either, I don't think and the Lions love Jared Goff more than any other organization, like they're higher on him for whatever reason.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I would expect Goff to be the start of there for a couple more years.
Speaker 3: Hooker was only three years younger.
Speaker 1: That's that's the point Saints took the next quarterback off the board. I don't think Jake Hayn is worth spending much time on.
Speaker 3: But I admittedly never heard of the guy. But I know Thor has.
Speaker 1: Or get us up to speed on on Jake Hayn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was really good the last couple of years for Fresno State. He couldn't get on the field early in his career with Washington, so that's where he had transferred and he did.
Speaker 5: He did really, really good.
Speaker 4: He also had a great senior ball and he did great on that S two Test, which I know the NFL cares about quite a bit. Now it's surpassed the wonder lick whatnot.
Speaker 5: So you have all that stuff.
Speaker 4: He reminds you a little bit of rock perty from the previous process where the things that he lacks is stuff he can't do anything about. The frame, uh, just sort of mediocre athletes, and then they have the wet noodle arms. But they process the field really quickly. They take profits, they don't make mistakes with the ball. Both those guys are leaders. He's gonna run your offense for you if he ever gets out there. So I mean, I could see him down the road coming in if he has to be a caretaker.
Speaker 5: Being okay with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Carr just signed a four five year deal, So it feels like Hayn to me is just going to be a back.
Speaker 3: Car and hater both from Presdo state though.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's true, Yeah, all right, some kind of advantages to that. The next quarterback taken was Stetson Bennett. He ends up going to the Rams.
Speaker 5: There's Stafford. We didn't even know I Stafford was going.
Speaker 1: To play this year, right, He was so close to thinking about retiring. Another bad year for him or another injury field year. That could be it for Stafford. Does Stetson Bennett have any game at the NFL level?
Speaker 4: So I compare him to Ian Buck, you know, it's just so, No, I don't think so, not for me. I mean he can process the field a little bit, but yeah, I mean you lack the free even more than Jay Cayner does. And I don't know if he processes as well as Jay Cayner does on the field. I thought that was a really weird pick in round four.
Speaker 1: All right, the last quarterback I want to talk about also a round four guy where the Raiders taking Aid and O'Connell. He I mentioned this only because Garoppolo so wobbly as the starter. This could be a one and done experiment with Garoppolo. In fact, I'm guessing it will be a one and done experiment. I think the Raiders will be at near the top of the draft order and taking another quarterback at this time next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they definitely could be O'Connell. I like his pocket game enough. He goes through the progressions for sure. He did for Jeff Browms offense at Purdue. He's not athletic, though, and he has arm limitations as well, so he's not going to hurt the defense down the field. But he does give you that short and intermedia area accuracy. But yeah, I don't know if he has the physical skills to be a long term start in the NFL.
Speaker 3: I'm pulling for fourth stringer Chase Garber's on the Raiders depth start, just so we can say that it's Garber's Garber's time.
Speaker 5: I like it. Let's go to the running backs.
Speaker 1: We already talked about the Day one running backs, so let's go to the Day two running backs and beyond, beginning with the shocking pick, not by talent but by location of Zach Sharbonay did not see Seattle as a landing spot here.
Speaker 5: I didn't either. Yeah, I love Zach Charbine.
Speaker 4: Zach Shearbeney was actually my number two rated running back, just slightly ahead of Jamior Gives. So like, I'm not gonna disagree with the talent at all, but the landing spot, yeah, was super weird. And you take Kenneth Walker to the Brown two the year before, now you take Sharboney. They explained it after the pick of saying like, oh, we needed to improve our screen game. And I do agree that Zach Scharbenney was a super underrated receiver. He averaged nearly ten yards after the catch in college. But you're not just gonna draft the guy to be a screen game guy.
Speaker 5: No, not in the second round.
Speaker 4: It's it's real weird. They obviously like Charbeney's game. I really like Charbonnay's game too, so I get it on that front. But how is that going to work out with him and Kenneth Walker at the start?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he fantasy. It's a nightmare. You could hear the cl have grown across the country when Charbonnaye got picked.
Speaker 1: As the Kenneth Walker dynasty owners like, oh, you're kidding me?
Speaker 3: And charbonne whoever already had their draft or was planning on drafting him at the potential of being a lead back, that seems like the most platoony platoon there's going to be in the NFL right now. Screen game Kenny McIntosh running back they took in the seventh round. Granted, not a lot of draft capital there, but he's like a receiving special screen guy.
Speaker 5: So that's the one thing he done.
Speaker 3: He'll do the backfield in Seattle disaster.
Speaker 5: Very weird.
Speaker 1: I had hoped that Charbonne would find his way to Cincinnati. That did not happen, but we'll talk about We'll talk about Cincinnati and where they went in a few minutes. Last question on Zach Charbonay for you the balls at the three yard line, who's getting the carry?
Speaker 4: I think I think it's going to be Zach Charbonay. I do too perfectly for it, right, Yeah, he's you know, he's top fifteen or even top ten in the nation last year, an elusive rating, and certainly he wasn't and broken tackles for us, So I think it's going to be sharpinnet.
Speaker 1: Third round, the Saints went with Kendray Miller. Now, what's interesting about the Saints, You know, with Alvin Kamara's play has dropped off a lot last year, especially year before that, you know, and he's been used a variety of different ways, never been really a goal line guy. And then all the legal troubles surrounding Alvin Kamara as well.
Speaker 5: Here it comes Kendray Miller.
Speaker 1: How quickly do you think he gets up to speed and is a factor in this offense.
Speaker 4: They're going to try to push him up there. They believe in Kendrey Miller more than I do. I had him one hundred and forty seventh on my big boardy seventy first. Okay, it's like he has a well rounded game, but he's not elite at anything, So like I you know, I don't know. I guess there's some of those parts the Saints liked a little bit more than me. But yeah, just because of the draft capital, he's going to get looks early on and we'll see how it works out with Kamara and those other guys whatnot. But yeah, I wasn't as big of a believer in the talent set.
Speaker 5: I was shocked that.
Speaker 1: They didn't go with spears or a chain or you know, some of the other tank bigsby who all Roshawn Johnson. I liked all those guys more than I like Henry Miller.
Speaker 5: Surely I was. I was surprised by the selection there.
Speaker 3: The problem with Miller and Kamara is Jamal Williams is now in New Orleans, who had the all time touchdown vulture season last year with the Lions. So yeah, it seems like a nice landing spot for Miller, but it's not as nice as it appears with Williams there now.
Speaker 1: All right, Tennessee a lot of people thought Tennessee would go running back at some point because we you know, all the rumors them trying to move Derrick Henry and we know Henry is in what is probably the final core tile of his career. They ended up going stylistically pretty far from where Derrick Henry is.
Speaker 5: With taj Spears, they sure did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, taj Spears is one of my favorite players in this draft class.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 4: He's a home run hitter and he reminds me a lot of a guy ironically that went in the first round a couple of years ago, Travis etn. Yeah, their games are so similar. It's all about the birds, the acceleration, and then when they get out into space, it's like they sensed the guys around them or whatever and then they can you know, both didn't know what that, but also set him up with the one cut change of direction everything like that. Uh, A little bit surprised he fell to way he did, except with you give the context of his medicals. There were some teams that maybe ding them a little bit on their board because he has two knee injuries in the past.
Speaker 5: That's the one question with Tajay Spears.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you get the receiving utility with him as much as well.
Speaker 5: We did see it the senior bow.
Speaker 4: He was better at that than we thought he would be, just because Tulane didn't use him as that right, But he was shaking guys in the one on ones in the route and showed soft hands as well, So maybe he can give him some some receiving utility there. But yeah, I mean what what he really brings your offense, It's that explosive element hitting the home runs.
Speaker 3: To go a little deeper in the medicals. Two torn acls in the past. At the combine test revealed a full thickness cartilage loss. Yeah, no ACL in his knee.
Speaker 5: That is a huge worry for me.
Speaker 3: Additionally, Spears has arthritis. Yes, two years old.
Speaker 1: I mean thor you know, you know I for me, I have a lot of concern about Spears like long term dynasty value because I'm worried this could be a short career for him. You know, three four years later this might be it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it could be.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm on team no give this second contract to the running backs.
Speaker 5: So like for me, it never matters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as long as you get the utility out of him during that rookie contract, And one thing that behooved me about him was that last season, he plays the entire season, doesn't get hurt, and got better and better and better as the season went along, shredded USC in the ballgame, shredded UCF and the AC title game. But yeah, do I think he's gonna have a super long career in the NFL. No, it's not because of the skill. It's because of those knees, all right, So how.
Speaker 1: Quickly can tij Spears make an impact in the Tennessee offense?
Speaker 5: In your mind?
Speaker 1: With Derek Henry still there and presumably the lead back.
Speaker 4: They will work him in situationally, absolutely as a rookie, Like the talent is such with him as a runner that he has to be on the field situationally.
Speaker 5: So they're gonna have to figure out some way.
Speaker 4: To do that, and you can mitigate Henry's touches a little bit through that.
Speaker 3: Let's go to yes real quick, would you deeper dynasty leagues? People know Hassan Haskins, Yeah, who the Titans drafted in the fourth round last year, put some decent draft capital into him. But is this kill shot for Haskins.
Speaker 5: I think it's gotta be. It's gotta be, all right.
Speaker 3: I'm cutting them in our empire.
Speaker 5: I think again, I think that's it for Haskins.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go to Miami, uh where the player who gets into the best possible landing spot is Devon a Chain And I think I pronounced that right.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be something to fight all for the rest of his career. So the Dolphins end up with the fastest running back in this draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah, faster than Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and a guy that is totally in line with the McDaniel and the San Francisco forty nine ers Tree, right, Like those are just the running backs that they're attracted to. In that sense of it, I agree with that absolutely. Od Chain reminded me of joab at Best, you know, the kid who would come out of another first round guy.
Speaker 5: Way back in the day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's the same sort of thing with I change the thing that I like about him. Typically we associate with those smaller sub threshold backs. He weighed in was a one hundred and eighty eight pounds at the combine. They're dancers, you know, They're guys that want to dance around and make you miss. Chain is not at all like he wants to get on a straight line. He is an arrow pointer at the goal line every time he gets the ball, so and that really stresses the defense because the angles start getting a race one by one if he has that straight line. But yeah, it'll be interesting to see how he gets mixed in with the other Dolphins running backs. But they will definitely be using him as a rookie.
Speaker 3: We know two chains, a rappro I'm gonna call a Chain one chain. But he was going, you know me, I'm a best ball DJ and I was drafting before the NFL Draft. He was going like sixteenth, seventeenth round. He now going not like eleventh, but he could go up higher. Yeah, you know, Jeff Wilson, Raheem, moster are still there, but they're they're not much of a threat. Yeah, for one Chain.
Speaker 4: The only thing that you're you know, like as far as his dint or his fantasy utility goes, is you have to mitigate Chain's touches. And if he's gonna get any as a return guy that needs to come out of the total and you're giving him, you have to protect that kid as far as his health goes, you know, by mad to getting that. But outside of that, it's a really good schematic fit.
Speaker 1: Can he catch well, he can catch okay, But like.
Speaker 4: They didn't just use him a ton as a receiver at Texas A and M, so some of that is unknown.
Speaker 1: I love to tank Bigsby, who was the next running back to go went to Jacksonville.
Speaker 5: That's a mediocre landing spot. I don't.
Speaker 1: I do believe that, all things considered, they'd like to have more of a two headed attack. They weren't able to get that with James Robinson last year's They just cut him and it really, you know, the backfield really turned into a one back situation with FTN. But I think Bigsby should have a role here and I think it's this year. I really liked his game. I totally agree with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the thing that you don't get with him, it's the receiving utility. Like even when they tried him with that at Auburn, he wasn't good at that. But here very skilled runner, one of the more skilled runners in this class, especially between the tackles and last year, you know, people looking at his counting SATs they're gonna discount him a little bit. You have to understand the context. Auburn's offensive line last year's stunk terrible. Their coaching staff was under fire. They eventually fired Brian Harrison during the season, and then the quarterback they were using with him couldn't.
Speaker 5: Throw his robe. Ash was just a good.
Speaker 4: Athlete, but like he couldn't throw, So defense didn't have to be concerned about the past game either. Tank Bixby was this mark man behind a bad offensive line.
Speaker 5: He's still produced.
Speaker 4: He's got really good vision, he has really really good contact balance, knows what he's doing, gets through those gaps, everything like that. As a short area grinder guy, for sure, you're gonna see that right away and you'll see eventually if he can be on the bellcoll with ETM. You don't need that right away, but yeah, he gonna factor in immediately charge you.
Speaker 3: You have to get your Snoop Connor tattoo removed.
Speaker 1: Now I know it says Snoop is dead. I think I think I think it's over for Snoop.
Speaker 5: The uh.
Speaker 1: What I love about Bigsby is you give that guy a little crease, and man, does he hit that little crease. Hard and he's through it and I'm like, wow, I did not think you were gonna get through there untouched, and yet there he is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he might he might lack the track speed, but he does not lack the the ability to hit the gas. The acceleration there for a big back and then obviously he converts that into power runs through the arm tackles.
Speaker 1: A guy, I believe you like a lot, ended up with the Chicago Bears, Roachan Johnson in Texas. Talk to me about him and his fit in Chicago.
Speaker 4: Rochean Johnson would have gone higher if he had gone to any other college. You know, Like he shows up at Texas as a quarterback. They ended up switching him to running back, right, and then he's stuck behind Bijon Robinson his entire career.
Speaker 5: Tough. He's a very good.
Speaker 4: Team like, you know, they'll rave about him as a teammate. You know, he also did the special teams and everything like that. But he's underrated as a runner just because we didn't get to see more reps of him doing that. His elusive rating, you just look at the per carry elusive rating on him was extremely high. The broken tackle thing he has athleticism two in the Big Package. One of the cool things about watching his tape is guys will try to dive bomb his knees when he gets into the.
Speaker 5: Second a third levels.
Speaker 4: He does that thing of jumping over him that we used to see Gronk do when they would do the same thing.
Speaker 5: I really like his talent level.
Speaker 4: We haven't seen him as much as a receiver yet because Beijeon got all that work. We do know that Rochon Johnson is a very good pass blocker. They would also use him as a lead blocker, sometimes in front of Jean, But you're getting that running.
Speaker 5: Utility between the tackles. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: You're also getting the pass pro which you're gonna keep him on the field. I expect him to be starting from day one in Chicago, and.
Speaker 1: I'm starting so ahead of Khalil Herbert.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Oh he's gonna dust Khalil Herbert. Wow. Yeah, you're gonna keep him in the dust.
Speaker 4: And Deontay foremant Deontay it's the same sort of skill Set's just deontay Foreman is not as good as Rochean Johnson is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rochan and uh A Chane, those two have seen the biggest spike in ADP post draft.
Speaker 5: And you can actually give him all the touches.
Speaker 4: And one other cool thing about him that was underrated about his profile is he doesn't have that tread on the tires as some of these other kids because of that situation, so you have a more fresh back as well.
Speaker 1: So the Jets end up with a frustrating landing spot to me, frustrating landing spot for is he a Bana Canda?
Speaker 5: Is it Conda or Avana Canda?
Speaker 1: A Banon Canda? Who a lot of people like. But the Jets you've got Reese Hall coming back from the a cl and then Michael Carter was a whatever, fourth round pick, fifth round pick a couple of years ago and did look good last year.
Speaker 4: I hated this landing spot for ezy bad landing spot. It felt like to me, very very bad landing spot. Yeah, he a Bancanna reminds me a lot of Tevin Coleman. It's the same sort of upright running style like a sprinter and that home run speed. If he can just get that laying down field, he could he could take it to the house every single time. Thing you wonder about him, it's the rest of the stuff the contact, balanced, different stuff like that, the fully fleshed out game. He leaves Pitt after he had that one dominant season last year. But the speed is for real, and that utility of hitting that crease and then getting forward is for real as well. I don't know how it's going to work out in that depth chart, but he's got talent.
Speaker 5: It's gonna I view him.
Speaker 1: I view Izzy as being somebody who dropped this year, and you sit on and see how this thing shakes out any year. I thought brees Hall looked great, great when he was healthy.
Speaker 5: I just I don't I just don't know how this thing factors in.
Speaker 1: Assuming Breeze Hall comes back relatively early into the season and it's such crowded backfield, I just don't know how. I don't see the I don't see the value in redraft, and I don't see a lot of dynasty either.
Speaker 5: Yeah. How minsol a round flyer in the ladder? For sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How many teams carry four running backs unless ones like a elite special teams turn guy? And I don't think any of these guys are in the chess. Yeah, like one of them has to go. It almost seems like.
Speaker 1: I mentioned a few minutes ago, I was excited for a potential landing spot of Zach Sharbonay with Cincinnati that did not come to fruition, but eventually they did take a running back Chase Brown. This is not the guy I wanted to see in Cincinnati, but maybe you like him more than I do.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts in Chase Brown with knowing Joe Mixon look cooked last year? Yeah, the opportunity could be here.
Speaker 4: I'm not a big fan of Chase Brown, but it's funny, like I had him rated lower than most people in the media, but I had him one fifty six on my board.
Speaker 5: He ends up going one sixty three.
Speaker 4: So the NFL sort of saw him like guy that He's a straight line guy that got most of his production at Illinois running into the second and third levels on breakaway yards. But like the thing, he doesn't make anybody miss and he doesn't break a lot of tackles either, so that's something that sort of has to be manufactured for him.
Speaker 5: That's not good.
Speaker 4: It's like the same sort of utility like a guy like Rocki Moster.
Speaker 5: It's just he's not as athletic as he is.
Speaker 1: Chase Brown. The problem is going to be what you're describing right now.
Speaker 5: In the NFL. If you don't have some special.
Speaker 4: Trait that gets you out of tackles, you're dead. And he doesn't catch the ball either, and he also gets ragged all when he's trying to do pass pro, so he's not playable on third downs. It's literally just breakaway yards, which you can get more easily.
Speaker 5: In the Big Ten than you can in the NFL.
Speaker 3: So moral of that story is, Chris Evans, maybe you're sneaky Captain America and running back and people were expecting things from last year, never got it because some AJP Ryan stepped up big time. But he's gone.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna just talk about a couple of guys that are in landing spots that I think only of dynasty value. Eric Gray goes to the Giants. Of course, they've got Saquon Barkley on his franchise tag that so this could be his last year. Is there anything any reason to think Airic Gray is going to pay dividends next year for the Giants.
Speaker 5: I could see him doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like he has that well rounded skill set that Chase Brown lacks.
Speaker 5: Eric Gray is a really good receiver.
Speaker 4: You know, he's on the smaller side and he's not an elite athlete, but he can make you miss. He's very slippery, again, another thing that Chase Brown lacks. I like him more than I like Chase Chase Brown. And we'll see how it goes with the Giants depth chart going forward, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he factored into the back backfield prominently.
Speaker 1: Dallas has a similar situation Tony Pollard on his franchise deal. They drafted duce Vaughan in the sixth round. He was a very polarizing running back. I saw people that liked him enough to be like fourth round, fifth round. Other people like I wouldn't draft him period.
Speaker 5: What were you?
Speaker 1: What's your take on duce Vaughan and a potential fit for Dallas, not necessarily this year, but going forward.
Speaker 5: I thought that Dallas was going to take a running back earlier in the draft. I did too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like with the depth chart what it was, and I don't know they were deferring to some of these other positions. They made some wonky decisions during the draft. They needed the tight end two they waited, and I think they took school maker in terms of that. But like Duce Vaughan, this is a really good landing spot for him. And obviously you have his father is working for the team as well, so you have that thing. But to me, he's that good or bad. Well, maybe it's good for his job security, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: It'll make the cut.
Speaker 3: He's a scout though, right, It's not like he's going to be hanging over his shoulder all day. It's not like he's a offensive Yeah. But for those who don't know, du s van, little guy like five, very very little, one seventy yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well into the combine five five one seventy nine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but like five five to five, very small.
Speaker 4: And he came out of Kansas State at the same school that produced Darren Sprawl. So that's right, he got some of those comps. But that that's a little above his impart. I think it's probably more a lot to say Tarik Cohn, yeah for him, Yeah, And I think he'll probably be used that way, and I think he'll get on the field as a rookie just situationally. But you're not going to give him a ton of touches right off the bat.
Speaker 1: No, I don't see duce Vaughan being even you know, you're notice I did not say he was a Zeke replacement because stylistically there's nothing alike, and this is the kind of player that very rarely is a fantasy factor. Yeah, last guy, I'm gonna mention left running back. I'm gonna mention the Vikings in the seventh round to Dwayne McBride, who I liked better than this the seventh rounder. And we know that Dalvin Cook is on super thin ice here with the Vikings and not expected to ultimately start the season with the team. I'm of the opinion that there's an opportunity for McBride to get real carries this year.
Speaker 5: Yes, I totally agree with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you're looking at the post Delvin world and it's Alex Maddison and Ty Chandler, and you put McBride's skill set in there, I think there's a shot there that McBride is the best early down bell call guy, or not bell call, but.
Speaker 5: Like early down behind your guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he certainly doesn't bring the receiving that the hands are the question there. UAB never used him as a wide receiver or you know, as a receiving option. He also fumbled a little bit. You know his his fumble rate is a little bit excessive. But if he can cut that down, all the skills as a runner are going to play. He runs fearless, he runs with power. He can make people mess and like when when guys are on the doorstep at him, he can change their angle so instead of it being a flushit it becomes an off angle one. He runs down at the arm tackles. You look at the PFF the last over their nine year charting history, there was only three guys that are two guys ahead of him in terms of missforced tackle rate miss over the tackle rate, Yes, which are by Jon Robinson and Javonte Williams. Dwayne number three all time on the PFF the last nine years in college foot Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now it's a round out running backs. Say, we're assuming Dalvin Cook leaves the Vikings charged. Do you envision the Vikings being candidates a candidate to sign like a cream hunt Leonard Fournette.
Speaker 5: No, not with you, not with McBride.
Speaker 1: And part of it is that much part of it is they they legitimately like ty Chandler even though he was inactive most of last year.
Speaker 5: They they they like that kit a lot, So.
Speaker 1: I really do think they're three deep at receiver running back now with Dwayne McBride, So I don't think.
Speaker 5: I don't think they're gonna add anybody.
Speaker 1: All right, Uh, all right, let's take a break. When we come back, let's talk through the notable wide receivers and tight ends that were in Day two and beyond of the NFL Draft. Welcome back Fantasy Football Weekly Paul Charchie and Brian Johnson and special guest Thor Neistrom with us breaking down the Round two through seven players that you need to care about the rookies from the draft. We're not doing every single skill position rookie. We're doing the guys we think are worthy of mention. We've done the running backs, We've done the quarterbacks. Let's talk wide receiver. The first receiver taken in the second round, which was a bit of a surprise to me, was Jonathan Mingo going to the Panthers.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jonathan Mingo tested better that more athletically than he acquits himself on the field. In my opinion, he doesn't move around as well as his athletic profile show it. He is an okay route runner though just in terms of the mechanics of it, he eve impressed me with that. At the senior ball, I knew he was going to rise between the frame between the athletic profile and then between how bad this class, right, But his play on the field just did not justify the slotter that he was taking him.
Speaker 5: But he's going to see the field early because of it.
Speaker 1: What do you think of the landing spot in Carolina Bryant, There's not a lot of competition there feelings on you know what is probably you know, the last year or two of his career and then Terras Marshall Jr.
Speaker 3: It doesn't bode well for Terrist Marshall. I think any host people were holding on to for him to be Fantasy relevant, Scott Fish is one of them. He was our biggest Terrorist Marshall supporter. But uh it, it could be worse. It could be a worse landing spot for Mingo. Like you guys, I was kind of shocked that he was What would this make him counting the first round the fourth wide receiver, fifth wide receiver. He was well outside the top ten wide receivers being taken on a you know, a redraft from a redraft standpoint before the draft, so a little bit of a chakra. But he, like Thorpe mentioned, just he's built like a he's a he's like a DK Metcalf type.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well he reminded me of Chase Claypool a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, another freak monster athlete exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And if he hits his ceiling, that's what it'll be. But yeah, it was just a little bit above his import for me. Where he got taken at thirty nine.
Speaker 1: Green Bay could have had their pickup every receiver in this draft when they went at fifteen. No, actually they traded at what thirteen, I don't know wherever they ended up. Middle of the first round they chose to pass on the position, and then in the second round, picked fifty, they went with Jaden Reid from Michigan State. I did not see them going here either, but that's the selection they made. What do you think about Jaden Reid's game and his potential to crack a thin wide receiver roster in Green Bay?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't believe that Jayden Reid is a top fifty packs.
Speaker 4: That's a function of the wide receiver class as much as anything this wide receiver class fell off a shelf after those top four guys, and that Bill Simmons has this concept of press box hot. I think Jayden Reid is the press box hot of this wide receiver class.
Speaker 5: I don't know what that means. What is press box hot thorn.
Speaker 4: It's someone who looks more attractive because there's a dearth of options, and in this receiver class, because there wasn't any options. Once he get past those top four that are super duper attractive, guys start to look attractive when again, in a regular class, they just would have been looked at as a Day three after thought, Yeah, that's what I thought about with Jayden Reid. He's under six feet, he's under one hundred and ninety pounds. He is not an elite athlete. I like his competitiveness at the catch point. He has made plays down the field and everything like that. And you do give him the benefit of the doubt that Michigan State had a poor quarterback play last couple of years and stuff like that, But yeah, he would not have been the guy that I would have chosen to develop there with the fiftieth pack.
Speaker 3: I had never heard of Jayden Reid before the draft. He was not getting drafted in any Best Ball drafts. I was doing seats. But now he Yeah, like you mentioned that, it's a pretty good landing spy in Green Bay. You're to compete with Christian Watson and Romeo Dubbs and that's about it.
Speaker 5: I wish it was Dubbs. It's Dobs.
Speaker 1: I've been made that mistake a million times because I wanted to be Dubbs. Becausedubs is way cooler than Dobbs. I'm sure it is. Uh, do you believe Jaden Reid has any impact in your one?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I think they're probably going to try to start him in year one. But do I think he's going to be a stud? No, like their second round pick from last year. At least he has the potential, right like he had the athletic profile. You've seen it all in his college film at NDSU Christian Watson. But Jane Reed, I do think they're going to force him onto the field, and also because of how bad their receiving core is. But yeah, I'm not super ballish on him having a huge impact.
Speaker 1: The next receiver to go was to the Kansas City Chiefs that picked fifty five is it Raishi, Rashi Rashi is Rashi Rice. All right, well then we're gonna go with that as correct. Nobody will get mad at me. Yeah, well the Rice family might, maybe they listen.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Rashi Rashi, Yeah, he said, Rashi Rashi Rice, tell me about his game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, right from the starter at SMU, they were pounding that kid with targets. He had nearly four hundred receptions over his career at SMBA. He's won both in the slot and outside, and he's wonted all three sectors of the field.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 4: With the Chiefs, and they've mentioned this in some of their their comments after the draft, one of the things that they really like about is his game is the ability to go downfield. He's only six foot and a half I believe is what he measured at two oho four, but he has really long arms. He has arms more like a six to five guy, and he also has a vertical leap and he has ball skills down the field too. He one of those guys who doesn't get effected when a DB's trying to go through his back like for some receivers that's just the end of rep like on a touchdown field. Yeah, but it doesn't affect Rashie Rice at all. Some teams were reportedly concerned about his work ethic, different stuff like that. The Chiefs obviously were not. They were very aggressive with him. I like Rashi Rice's ability and potential more on the field by quite a bit than Jayden Reid.
Speaker 3: All Right, the question with any receiver on Kansas City is can they stand out on that team?
Speaker 5: We all know.
Speaker 3: Dravis Kelsey is essentially their number one wide receiver, but then you got marcz All, this Gantling, Kadarius, Tony sky Moore, Richie James, Justin Watson who they like, Justin Ross who didn't play last year but he's looking like he'll play this year. Would have been a top five wide receiver last year if not for the neck injury.
Speaker 4: Not for the injury, that is John Ross and me or Smith Marsette, even former Viking even he's not nothing to get too excited about.
Speaker 3: No, he's got a lot of people to compete with for targets here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he does.
Speaker 4: But also there's no like elite guys, right, so he could very quickly push his way to the top tier and as far as a perimeter option there and does stuff that they like. And Mahomes obviously can get the ball down field. I do think we're going to see him early on the field.
Speaker 1: Me Cole Hartman was a such a tantalizing talent and he had some real game breaking ability, but he could never he could never become a reliable receiver and a team that desperately needed one correct And I so I just don't think the landing spot for any receiver in Kansas City as great as it sounds and as open as this opportunity is for Russhee Rice, Racchie Rice, Rashie Rashie Rice. It doesn't automatically mean that he's going to take advantage of.
Speaker 4: You, No, it definitely doesn't. But he has the ball scales, for instance, that me Col Hartman lacks. But you know, obviously we seen last year they took Sky more than this ball skills he did, yeah, and he could win them both the inside and the outside, and they didn't trust him initially early on. So we'll see if Rashie Rice can win that trust from the coaching staff in camp.
Speaker 1: All Right, they got a couple others for you, wide receiver Marvin Mimms to the Denver Broncos. What's your take on Mims? No relation to Denzel, I assume career over Denzel Mims.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I love Marvin Mems. Marvin Mims was my fifth receiver. I like I had him, you know, forty eight, so I had him around where you know, my board where Jayden Reid. It ended up going Marvin Mims. First off, he is the all time leader in Texas high school football history and receiving yards.
Speaker 5: Jesus this day.
Speaker 4: Then he goes to Oklahoma and was awesome as a true freshman. The last two years his game was a little bit down on the surface, but you keep in mind the contexts there. Twenty twenty one, Spencer Ratler goes into a tank. Yeah, into the tank at the beginning of the season. Then then Lincoln Riley had his foot out the door. The rest of it wasn't the best offensive environment there. Then Lincoln Riley leaves for USC last season, they bringing Brent Venables.
Speaker 5: Their offense was a train wreck.
Speaker 4: But Marvin Mins, so he's a smaller kid, comes in five to eleven and a quarter one eighty three, but he won on the outside throughout his career at Oklahoma. He's also played in the slot, so you can do either one of those. But Marvin Mins, for being a smaller receiver, is a fabulous downfield receiver. The ball tracking, the ball skills downfield. His highlight reel of his best catches in college is the best in.
Speaker 5: This entire receiver class.
Speaker 4: He makes absolute circus catches and the downfield utility. Every single season he was on campus all three years, thirty five percent or more of his targets came twenty plus yards downfield. I really like that pick for Denver and I expect him to be starting next year.
Speaker 1: Courtland Sutton was rumored to be on the trading block before this.
Speaker 3: Pick, and Jerry Judy, they've both kind of been on the block.
Speaker 1: Right Well, I think I think Judy's way, way, way better. I think they're gonna hold Judy. I think Sutton could be moved and that would open up a spot for Mims, who needs on. Tim Patrick's there too, and Tim Patrick's proven himself to be a pretty.
Speaker 3: Good coming off major knee injury.
Speaker 5: That's a fair point.
Speaker 3: That was he will be a year move from that when the season starts, because that was a preseason injury. But yeah, it's a good spot. It could have been a better spot for Hims like Kansas City, right Denver? Denver not too bad.
Speaker 1: Houston is my favorite rebuilding team and I've really kind of emotionally back to the Texans right now. What do you think of the selection in the third round of Nathaniel tank Dell for the Texans.
Speaker 5: I like it. I like it.
Speaker 4: I'm just the only thing with that is is so tank Dell obviously has to be a slot receiver. He's the teeny tiny you know, it's one hundred and sixty pounds or so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love him as a slot.
Speaker 4: Nobody could cover him one on one at the senior ball, which wasn't a surprise at all though those drills are tilted towards the offense, and nobody in college could cover tank Dell. And by the way, it wasn't just like in the G five. Every single Power five team that Houston played the last couple of years, tank Dell cooked them. And then when they faced Cincinnati the playoffs, Cincinnati team where they had Zas Gardner the two NFL safeties Kolbe Bryant on the other side of quarterback, tank Dell cooked them too. Tankt Dell cooks everybody, but he has to be a slot receiver in the NFL because of that frame. Then you look at Houston's roster. They'd taken John Menshi the year before, who obviously missed last season, but to me, he was a slot receiver. So are you looking now at John Mechi as an outside receiver? And then later on Houston takes a big manufactured touch slot in Xavier Hutchinson, who that's all he's ever done is just a manufacturer. What he did at Iowa State manufactured touches for him close to the line and let him let him run after that. So I don't know what they're doing on the boundary there, but yeah, Tank Dell should be starting in an NFL slot next year, and hopefully that is open for him in Houston.
Speaker 3: And the two main people that he'll be competing with for targets starters Robert Woods very well washed at this point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Don got a fork sticking out of him.
Speaker 3: Nico Collins good, not great.
Speaker 4: The other contextual thing I would say, and Tank like, if Tank del can win that starting slot, shop into your one.
Speaker 5: CJ.
Speaker 4: Stroud threw the ball of metric ton to the slot at Ohio JS that house he'll be looking for for Tank Dell.
Speaker 1: Is Tank Dell's game closer to Rondell Moore or you've got a comp of Hollywood Brown, Yeah, where what do you think? It's more those two are not very stylistic.
Speaker 4: It's more of the latter because Rondeo Moore or he's super explosive, but he's another one of those manufactured touch guys, right like, and we just don't know if he can win down the field whatnot.
Speaker 5: But no, we know he can't Rondelle more Field.
Speaker 4: I trying to give him the but like you know, in this case, like tant Dell, he wonted all three sectors of the field every single year he was at Houston, Like I think two of the three years he was at Houston he had PFF grades at every all three sectors of ninety or above, which is really good. And that's why I railed against the idea of like he was too too out well or something like.
Speaker 5: That, too to out well.
Speaker 4: At Louisville, it was just the manufactured touches short or else sent them on a fly route. Tank Dell can actually run routes and he shakes people every single time.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna hit two more receivers next. Jalen Hyatt was expected to go higher than this, and I didn't love him as like an early second round pick which where many people at him placed. But he drops to like I don't know, mid third round and he ends up with the Giant in which gives him a lot of opportunity. What are your thoughts on Jalen Hyatt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really good landing spot for him. The Giants were a team that we're thinking about the receiver in round one, then they watched the flour go right up off them right and then in a round two one of the guys they were considering in round one, John Michael Schmidt, who filled this enormous.
Speaker 5: Hole there as well. Perfect spot was available. It was a perfect spot for him.
Speaker 4: So because of that, they weren't able to pick the receiver earlier on even though they had a desperate need there.
Speaker 5: They take Jalen Hide here.
Speaker 4: Jalen Hyde is a one year Wonder one trick pony, but the trick is pretty cool.
Speaker 5: He can win downfield.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see him in the NFL, where Josh Hipel was able to move him around the formation, get him into advantageous matchups, like, for instance, when they were playing Alabama, Jalen Hyko matchup on DeMarco Hellms, a whole bunch of DeMarco Hellmes is a strong safety, like basically an extra linebacker. But like he got isolated in the coverage against Jalen Hyde.
Speaker 5: That's a bad combo right there.
Speaker 4: Jalen Hide had the ten yard head start to get to him and I was just like bye bye. So like, but in the NFL, he's actually going to have to beat people off of the line. They might press him, which never happened to him at Tennessee. But again, you do have that downfield utility just some of those other things he has to prove, but he has a clear shot, a clear path to playing time immediately in that receiving court, you think so well, I mean who else they got there?
Speaker 3: Well, they got like five other slot receivers is the problem. Yeah, yeah, none of them are that great. But you know Paris Campbell, won Dale Robinson, Jameson Crowders, Charlie Shephard. It makes me love Darren Waller even more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're kind of like the Texas.
Speaker 4: They both have more slots on a casino but like, but you know as far as high like yeah, I mean, like you probably do have to play him in the slot.
Speaker 5: But he is the pop the top fella there.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about one more wide receiver already at what our longest offseason show of the year.
Speaker 5: But it was a loaded guy to talk to Josh.
Speaker 1: Downs just because what I loved about Josh downs despite the relatively small stature, dude's got the it factor. I mean, he wants to eat, just a battler going for balls.
Speaker 5: He's fearless.
Speaker 1: I liked Josh downs a lot, and I was a little surprised that he fell to the third mid third round in the Indianapolis Colt.
Speaker 5: I'm totally with you, charge. I love Josh Downes' game.
Speaker 4: Like you know, he gets the price point to flight it because he's not a boundary receiver. He's just a slot. He's just gonna be a slot in the NFL. But we know he's gonna be a good one. And immediately, like the last couple of years uns, he didn't really have any other skill guys, they were just pounding targets to Jess Jones.
Speaker 5: He converted all those. He's extremely efficient, his hands are really good.
Speaker 4: Take a look at the drop rate, take a look at the tape. The other thing I really like about him in terms of that you're working in an NFL slot, You're gonna be moving around a lot of garbage stuff like that, picking through traffic, whatnot. You're gonna have to catch the ball around other guys. Josh Downes is contested catch rate in college was awesome just in a vacuum, but particularly for a receiver that's five nine one seventy one. Yeah, he's gonna show ISJAA McKenzie and whoever they got out of there right away, he will be their starting slot on day one.
Speaker 5: He will Paris Campbell gone. That opens up opens up another Isaiah.
Speaker 3: Isaiah McKenzie is who will be competing against in the slot, and he should beat him out. And downs was a guy who was going as the sixth seventh rookie wide receiver in three draft draft and I drafted a ton of them. People are down on him now because of the draft capital, but I'm averaging down in terms of like I'm still buying at a lower price. I love I love Josh too.
Speaker 5: I'm with you obviously.
Speaker 1: Anthony Richardson will be throwing in passes and hopefully maybe this year, maybe next year, we'll find out more how that'll work out.
Speaker 5: With time.
Speaker 1: Thorn Ice from is our guest, Uh, what is your type? You have a title NFL Draft Analysts, college football analyst for fantasy pros, and.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about five tight ends beginning and again the one first rounders off the board.
Speaker 5: Dalton Kin kid it was not the was the first player taken. We talked about him last week.
Speaker 3: By the way, even more recently follow him, he was getting plus odds and Thor said he will be the first tight end taking.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: The Lions end up going tight end early in round two, a position of great need for them after they let t. J. Hutch Hockinson go, And by the way, they still threw to the tight ends, you know, the anonymous tight end. They still involved those guys, but they ended up going with Sam Laporta from Iowa, who was shockingly productive in an offense that couldn't do anything basically that didn't involve Sam Laporta.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, And like you mentioned, I mean, just about as bad of an offensive environment as you can come from. Last year, Iowa was one hundred and thirtyeth out of one hundred and thirty one FPS teams and scoring, they were terrible. Four players had. Individual players in the FPBS had more offensive touchdowns than the IOWA.
Speaker 5: Offense did last season. That's amazing, So it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: But the even crazier thing is if i WOUA didn't have Sam Laporta, they would have been the worst FBS offense in the history of FBS. Like they would manufacture all these touches to Sam Laporta and then just watched Sam Laporta break tackles. Last year he had twenty four Smiths tackles, which was the top five all time individual season during the PFF charting era of that nine years, like I mentioned before, and then also a first down and touchdown monster even on that terrible team. Two thirds of his catches the last two years win for either a first down or a touchdown. The agility and the strength is what stands out about him in conjunction.
Speaker 5: With each other.
Speaker 4: He's super agile along the route pass, so that's how he opens up the throwing windows for the quarterback. And then when he gets the ball in his hands, that's what makes him so good.
Speaker 5: After the catch.
Speaker 4: He's a yeah god for a tight end, and yeah he's going to be productive as a rookie for Detroit.
Speaker 3: Pretty good track record for Iowa, producing titles.
Speaker 1: No kidding Dallas, they know what they're doing there. In a different year, Sam Laporta would have been a first rounder.
Speaker 5: Yeah he could have been. Yeah, in a different offense for sure.
Speaker 4: Well that too, right, Yeah, he would have acquitted himself better for sure.
Speaker 5: So I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the guy that everybody thought. You know all most of the mock drafts had Michael Mahyer going as the first overall tight end in this draft and in the first round. Many Adam Pegg going to Dallas.
Speaker 5: You didn't.
Speaker 1: He ends up with the Raiders. Is the Darren Waller replacement. Talk to me about Michael Mahyer.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The reason the NFL started deflated his value just a little bit is because he doesn't give you the receiving utility had the other two guys. He he ain't go downfield and get it like Dalton Kinka does. He doesn't create the separation like Dalton kin Kay does, and he doesn't have the run after the catch that Sam Laparta does. But what he has on both those guys is Michael Mayer is a true inline tight end who blocks his butt off and is really good at that. Yeah, and as a receiver, the thing you get from him, it's he catches the ball out to the intermediate area without creating the separation. But his special sauce is contested situations. And he's even talked about this in the media of like how he doesn't even care, like he actually wants to field the guy along his route because he wants to pin him to his back. And last year in Notre Dame they didn't have any other offensive skill guys. They're starting quarterback gets injured right away. They have this newd alarm scrambler that comes in Drew Pine to be the quarterback for the rest of this season. They forced a bunch of touches to Michael Mahyer and the defense new was coming. He got double team, he'd still come down with the catch.
Speaker 1: Packers needed a tight end badly, and they go to Luke Musgrave in the early second round. He's got an opportunity to walk right into that starting job.
Speaker 5: Yeah he does.
Speaker 4: It's funny when the Packers made that pick, I was like, you dopes, there's a better receiver tight end that's on the board right now, and then they took him around later. I think Tucker Kraft ends up having a better career for the Packers Luke musk Grave does. But Musgrave, he is a really interesting thought experiment. He barely you know. I think he had thirteen college starts or something like that. Last year was supposed to be his breakout season, but after two games he ends up getting hurt. For the rest of the year, we don't get to see him whatnot. He did play really well in those first two games. The thing you like most about him, it's the athletic profile. In that frame. He has shown to have an aptitude to go downfield and get it as well. But he's not good in the intermediate range, mostly because he doesn't have the agility with him. It's all the straight line line explosion, so he just doesn't have any nuance with with the route running stuff like that. He's not going to create the separation. He also doesn't break tackles. I told you guys last year Samu Laporte had twenty by himself in one season.
Speaker 5: Luke Musgrave over his entire career had two. That's it. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: It's kind of It reminds me of how when the Ravens drafted Hayden Hurst and then took Mark Andrews rounds later, Right, they took a much better tight end.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: If I'm pairing it, I'm looking to pay a cheap tight end with a Jordan Love and a best ball stack. I like Tucker Craft more than a musk Grave.
Speaker 1: We'll just go right to talk. I'm gonna skip to Tucker Craft. Okay, let's do it. Let's go to Tucker Craft.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: He's the Packers also end up taking him. He is the farm boy from Minnesota that ended up playing at South Dakota State. He was highly productive there. Talk to me about Tucker Craft as the other option.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a six five kid, two fifty four, and he has a ninety seven percentile size adjusted athletics score, you know, during the pre draft process. And he was dominant at the FCS level too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The only thing you're disappointed about was last offseason around this time, a whole bunch of FBS programs. We're going to offer him a bag to go and transfer there or whatever with nil money. He wanted to stick it out and finish things with his teammates. You would have liked to have seen him for one year in the FSA proven that concept, because the only Nippick you can make about like him on film is he was so dominant and such an athleticis a manager all everybody like a lot of his catches, he already just blew by the guy and then he would just be an open space and then you just be trucking down the field whatnot. You wanted to see him against better athletes and then you look like the.
Speaker 5: Route running sort of nuanced with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you didn't get to see that quite as much, but I mean the receiving skill was all there on tape. The athletic profile speaks for itself. I do think he's gonna be better than Musgrave in the NFL.
Speaker 1: You're gonna draft one of the two packer rookie tight ends for your dynasty team. Is it Luke Musgrave or is it Tucker Craft?
Speaker 5: For me? Tucker Craft? Easy, same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna get him cheaper because people just look at the.
Speaker 1: Draft draft equity, right. Yeah, I'm on Tucker Craft's game. I think he's got way more upside, you know, just that Position's really hard to get fantasy producers out of your tight end position. But Tucker Craft has the upside to be a top five fantasy tight end in three years. Yeah, I just don't see it when I watch Luke Musgrave.
Speaker 5: Yeah I don't either.
Speaker 4: And a lot of this stuff with Musgrave it's you know, you would say it's projection, but really it's just a leap of faith because you've just never seen it before. So he has Musgrave has to stay on the field. He's also got the durability issues. So we'll see, I'll go.
Speaker 1: I didn't spend a lot of time on Luke shoon Maker, who ends up being the Dallas Cowboys tight end when everybody thought it'd be Dalton Kin Kate or some or you know, Michael Mayer. I don't know that much about his game. Who tell me about Luke Shoonmaker.
Speaker 3: I can tell you he's old as hell, right, like twenty six years old almost, he's about in twenty five.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So he goes to Michigan an another tight end factory. And the thing you like about him he plays inline. He's in line size and it was six five two fifty one and he blocks and he's.
Speaker 5: He's a good blocker. Yeah, but like he goes.
Speaker 4: I mean he opened people's eyes by going into the pre draft process ninety eight percentile size adjusted to athleticism. You didn't get to see that as much. Or Michigan because they just never used him as a receiver. So it's like, was Michigan who has a really smart coaching staff, where they miss using him by not using him more as a receiver or is he just not good at that? We only got limited looks there. You know, the other stuff speaks for itself. You know, you have the athleticism thing, but it seems like Dallas is sort of you know, a hope and a prayer as far as the rest of it goes. Because they missed out on some of those better Titans, or they reached for Schoonmaker over some of those guys. It's funny, my compound schoonmaker was Dalton Scholtz. Who's the reason that Yeah, right, he was taking because.
Speaker 5: He walked out the door.
Speaker 4: But like you know, as far as for fantasy people, it's just a total unknown that receiving utility. So even though I do think he's gonna play early, I just don't know how that's gonna project.
Speaker 1: A really disappointing landing spot for the final tight end. I want to talk about Darnell Washington, the Big oh as they called him at Georgia. I loved the potential upside of Darnell Washington as a freaking beast. He's sixty seven or six foot I think he's six foot seven, two hundred and seventy pounds.
Speaker 5: But with the with the ball in his.
Speaker 1: Hands, Darnell Washington is just shredding dudes. He's nimble, he's got catch radius. I'm like, what it took me a while to fire out why he didn't get more balls at Georgia until I found out how good brock bers is and how he's gonna be like a top five player next year. Talk to me a little bit about Darnell Washington tough land spot with the Steelers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sure is, and obviously they have an intention to go to more twelve personnel and whatnot. But yeah, you're behind Friarmuth as far as the first receiving tight end. And that's certainly what happened to him at Georgia when he was stuck behind Brock Bowers. Who's going to be the first tight end taking off the board in the next draft, right, And you know, like, if you're going to look at Darna Washington glass half full as a receiver, it's, oh, you know, he didn't get the extra utility because Brock Bowers on the roster. Eric Gilbert was active for a little bit as well. Who he was the number one tight end in his class. Yeah, but Darnall Washington, he's one of the better blocking tight ends who's come out in like the last decade. In fact, when he was coming out as a recruit, there was a whole bunch of blue bloods that wanted him as an offensive tackle to.
Speaker 5: Ball him up.
Speaker 4: I bet he played games in college at over two hundred and eighty pounds. I think he's in the two sixty four. That was like him on a diet. But he's going to be playing games around that in the NFL. The receiving utilities, it's the one thing that we just don't know. He put on a show during the pre draft process, but in college he only caught two balls to travel more than twenty yards in the air. Despite that having a lower aid dot, he had a drop rate over ten percent. So it's like, you know, if he's gonna be the intermediate safety blanket guy. He can't be dropping that many masses whatnot. But like, there just weren't looks manufactured for him. At Georgia, he was always the you know, the third fourth option on a play or whatever. In the NFL, can he prove anymore with that, well, we'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But the blocking spiece for itself, it's what's gonna get him onto the field.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: I have some medicals too, right that they did that point.
Speaker 4: Medical different foot injuries last year and some teams were concerned about that potentially being a recurring thing.
Speaker 5: Yep. Reasonable.
Speaker 1: Darnell Washington though, a freaky upside if the receiving comes together. You've got Gronconian stature in Darnell Washington, and if it turns out he can be a reliable receiver, and it's you know, now, now it's I'm gonna go all Jelanie Woods on myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would have been a very sexy pick for the Jaguars if they took Washington.
Speaker 5: They took a tight end.
Speaker 3: Brenton Strange, We're not gonna talk about because I don't even know if he's a real person, you.
Speaker 5: Know, about it.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, Thor, but that would have been a fun pick for Jacksonville, Washington.
Speaker 5: There another guy, a strange pick.
Speaker 3: Yes, I see what you did.
Speaker 5: Very nice, Thor.
Speaker 1: Thanks for all your contributions to the show. I mean, perfect guy to have on right now. We're blessed to have you in the Twin Cities. We can just bring into my kitchen.
Speaker 5: Hey, appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fantastic, lots of fun and I hope this has been a valuable exercise, especially for those in dynasty leagues are doing deeper dives on the players after round number one. We'll be back next week and we've also got all the Fantasy Football Weekly micro editions. This we're gonna put this. You've heard, you're hearing this now, you will already probably know this. We're gonna drop this a little earlier than our usual Fridays for the big shows, just because it's so topical.
Speaker 5: Right it's the draft.
Speaker 1: Everybody's still buzzing from the draft from the weekend, so we'll drop this one a little bit earlier. But you'll get to a fresh Fantasy Football Weekly micro edition Mondays through Thursdays, and then the big shows on Fridays as well, thanks for listening, everybody, we'll talk to you shortly. Fantasy Football Weekly is a production of I heart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.