Speaker 1: What's up, everybody. Welcome back to another episode of Bucko Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. I'm Noah Hyles, joining me as always are my co hosts Platinum Kaka Mark and Josh Harrison. Is Thursday, August sixth we were recording this before the Pirates concluded their four game set in Milwaukee, a little afternoon show due to some evening obligations among the crew. So we don't know how that series concluded, so we to our latest knowledge, and I would have to assume this is probably going to be still the big storyline from this series is Paul Skens just didn't get it done again. Pirates at Best are gonna leave Milwaukee with a split, gonna leave Milwaukee under five hundred. There's a chance they leave Milwaukee with the lowest record, the worst winning percentage they've had pretty much all season. So and even if they don't, they're still under five hundred as they leave Milwaukee back to Pittsburgh for weekend series. We're going to talk about that weekend series at the end of the show. First, we're also going to have to talk about the offensive woes. But guys, it all starts with Paul Skins. He pitched Wednesday evening. He went five innings, He allowed three earned runs. Walks for another issue again, efficiency was an issue Again, can't get deeper into the ballgame. I'll just open up the floor now, because we've talked about so frequently this guy struggles, what we need to see him do, what we haven't seen him do. I'll just open up the floor with this question and that can kind of just serve as the talking point for the segment. What are the expectations for Paul Skiings for the rest of this season? Is it just what we just saw? Is it five to six innings and keeping it under four runs, because that's what I feel like is probably the new bar for him, at least this year, going off his overall body of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll start. I don't think much is going to change the rest of the year. I don't think there's gonna be some magical thing where he just reverts right back to where we saw in his Cy Young campaign or his Rookie of the Year campaign. Something seems off, and it doesn't seem like that something can be addressed mid season. It doesn't feel like that's gonna be like some quick little mechanical change, Like, no, he's gonna have to take some time this offseason and really figure out mechanics whatever is happening. Uh, that's having this impact on his velocity because I am concerned about the velocity. I'm not concerned about the fastball itself. I'm concerned how it plays with the rest of his repertoire and the off speed stuff. Just can't stomach it without it's not good enough without that fastball philosophy. Go ahead, No, well, I.
Speaker 1: Was just gonna say he can't spot it. It's not even the velocity. You look at this last outing. If the second time through the order, he was always able to put that slider, that sweeper, the splinker, even like right on the black, right on the edge, and he's just off. He's just missing the spots by two or three inches. And that that makes a big difference, man, especially when you're going up against a team like the Milwaukee Brewers, who they have a great team approach, they are not going to help you beat them. And I think that's what we saw this last outing, And that's kind of my biggest alarm for schemes is back to back outings with four walks. That's just that's the major concern because that just shows that his command's off and it also just shows that hitters are very comfortable at the plate right now. They're not chasing exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, obviously there's always you know, you look at what scheme has done in the past, and you always hope, oh man, it's in there somewhere, But as you look the moves, they may at the you know, deadline. You know, you have a bullpen that is built to kind of help you. So you know, you're hoping that you can get six from your starters, and that's even including Paul. And you know, more than just the velocity is you talk to command and to me that that that's a you know, there's a disconnect somewhere because you know you're losing velocity and then you're losing command. With that, does confidence go granted, he you know, I believe Paul is a highly confident guy and don't believe that he would even waiver from that. But you know, this game tests you, this game will humble you, and in the mode or mists of you know, making adjustments, sometimes you're gonna go through struggles that you know, it's just like, Yeah, day to day, I'm grinding through this. You know, as you mentioned Mark, maybe it's something in the offseason. He's gonna you know, what, where was my disconnect? Was it you know, in conditioning? Probably not? Was it in you know this? Or you know, sometimes it's your trying to focus on one thing right now may not be the best for him. He's trying to figure out how he can get through six and you know, when when you've lost command, you know, four walks, that's I mean, you're you're you're you're putting guys on and putting yourself in high stress situations to now I have to make this perfect pitch. And when you don't have your command and you don't have your best stuff, your best pitch is not really going to be there. You're gonna make mistakes. And you know, when you're making mistakes, these are big league hitters, they're going to take advantage of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just seems like he's in a funk right now that he can't escape and the opposition knows it. And I think that that predicament is applicable to another area of the team that we're going to talk.
Speaker 3: Well, and before we get there, you mentioned that every team that he's facing too is like, we're not going to be the team that lets him turn it around.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? And that Yeah, and again just to continue being the best transition podcast in game right now. I think that that also applies to the next topic we're going to talk about what the offensive was. It seems like they are in their own heads and they know that they are. They're getting targeted in one area, and we're going to talk about that next after this break here on Bucko Territory.
Speaker 4: For parents looking for a new path to help your child succeed this year, there's still time to enroll in K twelve powered online schools. K twelve powered schools offer tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Todd Father take it away.
Speaker 5: Hey, if you're a busy family, K twelve is where it's at. I've had a couple of my children who've been home schooled. K twelve has every opportunity to make your child better and smarter as they move forward in their academic career.
Speaker 4: K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction, and they provide real time support all in an online setting that works for your family, at home or anywhere that there's internet. If you're on the go, it could be for you. It's not too late to enroll this false K twelve Pirate schools can help your child thrive this year and beyond. Enroll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash f o u l K twelve dot com slash foul K twelve serving three million students and counting.
Speaker 1: All right. Offensive woes. The Pirates they stink against left handed pitching, and boy, oh boy, did they really stink up the joint yesterday eight strikeouts in a row against the Brewers starter. His name, yeah, Kyle hand not related, believe it or not. Josh, that was a hell of a line there, Josh, well done. I just want to make some observations and then I'll throw it to you guys. The left handed issue, it's just not going away. One thing that we should note, Ozuna was let go before Wednesday's game. That was the guy they brought in to be their right handed power bat. It obviously didn't work because they felt more confident with Ronnie Simon on the roster than him, and I know they're they're gonna get O'Neil Cruz back eventually this month. They'll get Connor Griffin back next month. But it's like those two guys can't fix all of this, especially one of them who's a left handed bat. And Ezmraln Valdez looks like a rookie again, and it just goes to show like Ozona didn't work your rookies. Magic hun unintended has cooled off a little bit, and now other guys got to step up, and there's just there's just no answer there. They look helpless, and they look like a team who knows when a lefty is on the mound that they are in trouble. You could just you can kind of get that energy, and I mean, obviously that weighs on you when you have that one specific guy or one specific type of pitcher or player that does that thing. It's like when you know, hey, this is our one Achilles heel. It's hard to get that out of your head, especially when it starts going early again in the game. You guys start chasing, guys start pressing. Josh, can you just talk a little bit more about that. I don't know if you've ever been on a team that's been this bad specifically at one element of hitting collectively, but that stuff weighs on you mentally and probably makes it worse.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, it definitely can, especially as a whole. You know, just to go off of the previous segment, you mentioned schemes, and it's more than schemes. You know, starting staff on a team as a whole has been struggling, and then you know, you face with, oh, here we go, we're facing the lefty. You know, this is quote unquote what they say we struggle with. Now you're trying not to feed into, you know that that storyline. You know, so some of these at bats may be okay, all right, he got three strikeouts in a row, right, I'm not trying to be the fourth right now, I'm not trying to be the fifth. Now this guy's got eight in a row. And it's like, hey, before you know it, did you go up there with a plan or were you just up saying I you know, we don't want to you know what I mean. That's how fast this game can happen. And it's just one of those things where teams are they really having you know, hitters meetings to where they're talking about a planned or is it you know, I've been on teams that have hitters meeting collectively. Now you have a lot of information where now they'll send it to your iPad and you know, guys, yes, you can do your own independent, you know, homework. But I believe that's guys that you know would have been in my case, you know ten plus years that understand the grind, understand adjustments. You know you can. You could send a guy in my situation a scout and report in the video and I can, you know, make my own. But if you got a bunch of young guys, you can't just rely on this information because talking is information. You need guys that have faced them. You need to also, hey, man, as a group, how are we approaching this guy? You know, it's fine to say this guy has high spin rate and this is what. But but as a whole, what are we doing as a team. Are we trying to make these bats tough? Or are we trying to work his pitch calendar? Or are we saying, hey, this guy's aggressive in the zoone. Let's all say we're trying to hit fastballs and get on top of them and drive them back through the middle. These are the conversations that need to be had, and I'm not really sure if they're being had. Now over, we're struggling against lefties, all right, this guy's hogh spin rate. All right, Hey, let's that's not doing anything but making you go up there, press and trying to just try harder. You know, the game doesn't need you to try harder. Trying harder, you know what I mean. And in this moment where offense is struggling, that's what you see is a lot of guys trying harder. So then you start to chase pitches. Then you start to doing the care Oh now we got to go on second base, all right, things about the turn and now you're trying to beat No, let the game be the game, and you know, stick to the plan that y'all talked about. Okay, high heater, let me make sure I see this below the belt, you know, No, let me get it. And that's where these things happen really fast, and before you know it, it's down respiral and before you know, you haven't had a real conversation about how to attack this guy. All you know is what this guy has.
Speaker 1: Mark, I'll ask you just real quick. I mean, you're mister optimist. Do you have any hope that this gets resolved with the group that is or is it just something where they're gonna have to make a waiver claim or get some external help.
Speaker 2: Still, yeah, I mean as far as left handed pitching goes, it seems like they're going to just continue to struggle, especially with teams now just pitching around Esmelan Valdez not even giving him a chance. So, I mean, maybe there's a waiverclaim out there where you find a right handed bat, but that's gonna be a really tough find. Maybe you have a guy like like the like just Hinton Garcia that could step up. Look, internally, maybe there's those guys that you know, could catch that hot streak that we saw Smelan Valdez go on. I don't think anyone that was expecting him to go on that, you know, twelve hundred ops stretch or whatever. So maybe you'll find that internally, maybe like a guy like Ronnie and Simon could get for a little bit ride that and fades out. But yeah, it's uh, I don't think there's going to be much improvement against lefties. The one thing I do want to say, though, is this offense has just continued to press and press and press. We mentioned it just last week. You know, they had a ton of strikeouts compared to walks. Again now in the last seven days, twenty four strikeouts, sorry, seventy two strikeouts to twenty four walks. There's one guy on this team who has more than three walks in the last seven days, and that's Zmaal and Valdes, that's it. And he has eight walks. But you know he's batting like zero point fifty striking out. Yeah, so he's basically they're walking or striking out and that's it. So yeah, the offensive struggles are tough. I think if they get a little bit of confidence, you know, hitting is contagious, they can We haven't really seen this offense go on like a crazy tear. This team go on a crazy tear. You gotta feel like that they have one of those in their tank this year. Will it be enough? Who knows? Will it be against left handed pitching?
Speaker 4: Who knows?
Speaker 2: But round us out here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to look at it, I mean, it's really easy to understand why they can't hit left handed pitching. Here are their right handed hitters, Roe Flores, Justinstan Garcia, Valdez. Those are three rookies right there, and then their non rookies just as far as strict right handed bats are Henry Davis, Jared Triolo, and Nick Gonzalez. Of that group, only one of those guys has ever really had an above average OPS and that's Nick Gonzalez this year. Yeah, and you don't have to throw him anything to hit Valdez. You don't have to throw him anything to hit I mean, Ozuna was a part of that, but he wasn't doing anything. So just you look at this lineup. This is like a Pirate's twenty nineteen lineup, or not twenty nineteen, excuse me, is a Pirates twenty twenty five lineup. That's what that's. And when they were a bad offense because when you don't have Lao and O'Hearn, I mean, and even Griffin around right now, like you don't have the help here and you have a lesser version of Mangum Anddi and Reynolds, you're just not getting they don't have the horses. So I don't know, I think the only situation that I or the only solution that I could offer is maybe you just fully commit to small ball against lefties. You just make the fastest lineup possible and focus on contact and stealing bases and being super aggressive on the bases and just try to put as much pressure try to steal, like you try to take extra bases, and that might be your only hope because I look at these right handed bats and there are no answers there.
Speaker 3: That's baseball. Put the ball in play. But at the same time, as I mentioned, it's a different era of baseball, and you know, you just have that couple with guys that haven't had very much success against lefties, so you're going up there without a plan and you don't have much success. It's it's gonna be tough, but it's it's one of those things where as I said, when the team is not playing well, offense is gonna press even more because that's the one area that guys feel they can control. You know, Defense is like, okay, I need them to hit me the ball. Pitching is like sometimes pitchers are gonna struggle, but offense it's like, okay, this is my bat. These are team at bats. We can score. And when it's not going. Sometimes the plate feels like the the loneliest place because it's like, man, now we don't it's been a week and you know, one game. We didn't realize one game is just one game. But now you look up it's a week later and it's like, yeah, okay, yep.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna take another quick break when we come back. We wrap up this week's show with Jay hay now Here on Bucco Territory.
Speaker 4: This is that time of year, aj. It is Baseball's time to shine, and it is se geeks time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on Sea Geek.
Speaker 6: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees clubs coming up. Where's Yankees red Sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up. Go to c can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best lookgreen dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: Ja Hey, now time here we go plays music, do you say.
Speaker 3: All right, this is gonna be the second time that I danced when it comes on for the Jay Now segment. But this segment is gonna be a little different. Just I guess now that we're here, I haven't really had time to process it, but it's gonna be a highlighting this weekend, being able to come back there with my family and you know, experience the love that you know, the family the city has showed me and my family throughout my playing career and even post so I just want to highlight the city of Pittsburgh, the organization for you know, making this a special moment. As I said, I don't think I really have processed it yet. Probably will hit me a little bit more as the weekend goes on, but that's kind of what I got, you know, excited to come back and you know, enjoy this moment with my family, uh, some close friends and you know, go back to my stomping grounds and you know, close the final chapter. I know a lot of guys don't get this opportunity and just excited for you know, not anything that I thought about or I guess anybody really thinks about. So as we get closer, it's kind of cool to sit here and say, Okay, man, you know it's gonna be pretty cool weekend.
Speaker 1: It is gonna be a cool weekend. It's gonna be cool obviously to see you get your flowers. I've already went on that spiel. Don't need to go down that road again. It's just gonna be cool to see a lot of number five jerseys around the ballpark. I've really enjoyed how the Pirates have been promoting this. You've seen the commercials on the TV broadcast during commercial breaks, the highlights they've been posting of yours Josh, and the countdown days until Josh Harrison gets recognized. The shirt looks cool. One Pirate shirt I will allow myself to wear because you know, I'm just supporting a coworker. That's all I'm doing. Ye, But yeah, I'm pretty pumped and Mark, Mark and I are going to be there to support you. Mark, you got anything you want to add on this?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm just so excited. If you're listening to this show, up, come say hi. Josh is going to be like signing some autographs I think around the park on Saturday. It's going to be a great time. The T shirt is just so sick. I cannot wait to rock that. And I'm just looking forward to seeing my guy Jay hey here, so very well deserved love all the fan recognition. Just people are excited for this, Josh. I probably see a lot more of that just being on Twitter constantly, and people are pumped so love that the Pirates are doing this, doing it the right way, doing it well. It's going to be a fantastic weekend and I can't wait to recap it with you guys on Sunday for our episode Monday here. So and to make sure that you catch our Monday episode here, make sure you hit that subscribe button. We're trying to get to three thousand subscribers, can't do that without you hit the like, hit a comment, let us know that you're going to be there and uh, you know, maybe show up in some buck of territory merch to the ballpark. You know, I think Josh could probably throw a nice little autograph on anything that you find at our store there. So support the show, support us, come support Josh on Saturday at p NC. It will be a great, great day. So uh take it off, Noah, send us off here or actually yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, Josh.
Speaker 3: Any final thoughts, no, just hey, that was a smooth transition, and excited to see everybody this weekend and hopefully uh pirates bring it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I'll just say this in closing, Josh is an all time pirate Pirates fan. Fans should celebrate him. If he bounces his first pitch him, we will we will do him on the show. If he does that, we will.
Speaker 2: Bring that clip up as much as I reach it there.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen, you don't talk about you don't brag about any of your achievements other than the times you've got to pitch.
Speaker 2: You are always itching to bring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so that's that's I will put that pressure on you. If you bounce it, we will open Monday show. What that's booing you for? Like ten seconds. So pressure is on, mister Harrison. Let's see if you can rise to the challenge. All right, he's bottom, key, he's Josh Harrison. He's under pressure. Noah Hiles. We're all signing off saying thanks for tuning in to another episode of Bucco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. Take care,