Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to the Bloomberg This Weekend Podcast with David Gura, Christina Raffini, and Lisa Matteo.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us for today's selection of conversations from the show.
Speaker 3: You can listen to our favorite discussions right here on the podcast, but also make sure to join us live every Saturday and Sunday morning starting at seven am Easter.
Speaker 4: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business app, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.
Speaker 5: The Senate confirming President Donald Trump's pick for Attorney General, Todd blanche.
Speaker 6: We're gonna go now to Laura Davidson.
Speaker 2: She's Bloomberg News Washington Deputy Bureau Chief Laura Late night for our colleagues on the Hill before everybody tries to skip town. This looks like when I went to bed last night, it wasn't going to happen. Possibly, and then you had but you had Bill Cassidy, who had been like the big holdout, coming out and changing his mind kind of yesterday, and then it was a holding pattern and then all of a sudden it's got pushed through this morning, Can you.
Speaker 6: Walk us through how this came about.
Speaker 7: Yes, this is how Congress frequently works is there's a whole lot of nothing and then suddenly, you know, in the wee hours of the morning, you're able to get the votes and push something across the finish line.
Speaker 8: Once Senate leaders have exhausted everyone and they're you know, agreeing to vote for things.
Speaker 7: So this is really, you know, sort of a remarkable end to a week's long saga. If you had, you know, multiple senators coming out and expressing some concerns about Todd Blanche and also just how Trump is influencing the Justice Department, particularly this one point eight billion dollar quote anti weaponization fund that would have gone to support January sixth insurrectionists and other allies of the president, as well as the president being able to cut a deal with the Irs to save himself from any tax audits. So you know, they were able to get some concessions. You know, some Republicans were able to get some concessions from the Justice Department that really limited the scope of that tax deal as well as essentially tabling killing off that anti weaponization fund. You still had two senators who said no way Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski expressing broader concerns. But the last vote what everyone was waiting for Bill Cassidy of Louisiana. He is a lame duck senator of Trump essentially opposed him in his primary, and he will be leaving Congress next year.
Speaker 8: Everyone was watching him.
Speaker 7: He came out on the Senate floor yesterday and said, look, I have some problems with how the Justice Department is being run, but I think that Todd Blanch is going to be better than any other candidate that Trump is going to put forward, and so therefore I'm going to go ahead and give him my support and vote yes.
Speaker 5: Let me play a bit of that sound from that speech again. This was highly anticipated, given that Murkowski defected, Collins defected. What was Bill Casty going to do. Let's play and listen of what he had to play a little bit of what he had to say here on the Senate floor.
Speaker 9: Mister Blanch is not perfect, and he will tell you this. But the choice is not between perfection and mister Blanche. It is between mister Blanche and another acting Attorney general who may not run the apartment effectively under President Trump, and who indeed may not be as good as mister Blanche Laurie.
Speaker 5: Let's pick that apart a little bit. There not a ringing endorsement.
Speaker 2: No, it is really the endorsement I would want going into a new top.
Speaker 5: And sorry, David, what do you make of what the Center had to say to the rational as he presented it there on the Senate floor.
Speaker 8: Well, I think you just have to take a look at some recent history. If you look at you.
Speaker 7: Know who Trump has talked about having a top that the Justice Department of the past.
Speaker 8: You his first pick back when he.
Speaker 7: Was recently re elected in twenty twenty four, he wanted Matt Gates, the really embattled and scandal plagued a member of Congress who had had facing all sorts of allegations of you know, underage sex charges and a whole bunch of problems. That really got a very quick swift no from Senate Republicans. That's when he pivoted to Pam BONDI. Of course, now Blanche will be replacing Bondie. But I think you you know, in that speech, Cassidy mentioned that he thinks that Todd Blanche will be a hands on administrator and.
Speaker 8: Me, you know, sort of be able to run a very very large.
Speaker 7: Department of thousands and thousands of lawyers, and that he's not worried sort of broadly about I mean, mister Blanche's character, whereas he you know, sort of suggested that there would be other candidates that the President might be interested in who he would have more concerns with.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that what there were these two big concerns, and one of them was this anti weaponization fund, and Blanche kind of explained what he did. He kind of wrote a memo or a promise that it's gone away, but my understanding is it's not really binding.
Speaker 6: Right, So it was enough, It was enough to get him over the line. But can he change his mind?
Speaker 8: Yes? This is really kind of the legal questions surrounding this.
Speaker 7: What some members of Congress wanted is is this written into law saying that this could never come back up again. Instead, what they got is sort of a you know, sort of a memo from the Justice Department saying this is this is going away, but this is you know, continues to be concerning to some members of Congress that this could come back up in future deals. You know, as we've seen you know, Trump time and time again. You know, has said he didn't really want this to go away, even though his allies and aids were telling him that this was going to be sort of sacrificed, you know, for the broader good of getting his attorney general pick across the line. You know, we've seen this on a whole broad range of issues where Trump says, you know, he's moving on, but then suddenly brings it up. We've seen this with a reflecting pool. We've seen this with the ballroom of that he continues to fight on some of these personal priorities for him.
Speaker 5: I don't think that what we saw last night meets the strict definition of a voter rama. We had Stephen Dennis, our colleague, on a few weeks back, and we talked about that with him. But there was a string of legislation that the Senate dealt with before departing Washington yesterday. Another had to do with spending, and I want to ask you about that, Laura, if I could. I mean, customarily, or at least in recent memory, there have been a lot of these kind of last minute spending bills that have been quite acrimonious. They've led to government shutdowns. What was passed. I think was it ninety to six last night? Was not that it didn't seem like it went down to the wire in the same way that it hasn't in the past. What did the Senate accomplished in that regard? What does it mean for the fall as we look ahead to the midterms in terms of how the government is funded.
Speaker 7: Yes, so they passed is what's called a continuing resolution or a CR. This is essentially a stop gap government funding bill to keep the government open past the deadline when current funding is set to expire.
Speaker 8: At the end of September.
Speaker 7: This would keep the government open until December eleventh, so essentially kicks the can down the road beyond the midterm elections, which no one wants to see a shutdown happen during. Then, what they haven't resolved yet is they haven't come to agreement with the House. So good points for them doing their advanced reading, but they have not reached the group stage project of this.
Speaker 8: So when the.
Speaker 7: Senate comes back on September fourteenth, I note they have just about two weeks to work with the House to get a bill passed, so there's still a chance of a shutdown. Chances tick down significantly last night when they were able to at least get something on paper that had broad bipartisan support, But we still could be talking about a shutdown in late September.
Speaker 6: And another votes.
Speaker 2: The Senate also passed this sweeping Russia sanctions bill yesterday that has the Senator of the late Senator Lindsay Graham's name on it, and we talked about.
Speaker 6: A little bit earlier. So it does a couple things.
Speaker 2: That allows the President to impose tariffs of up to one hundred percent on Russian energy importers. These are countries that are taking energy from Russia. But it also has some other less popular clauses in there, including it can give the president more flexibility to raise import taxes on other major economies, and it seems to give him the ability to unilaterally waive these sanctions if he decides they're not a good idea.
Speaker 6: So this did get a lot of support.
Speaker 2: But can you walk us through what's in this bill and how effective it's likely to be?
Speaker 8: Yeah, and this is really kind of a tricky one. Is there was you know, a kind of a classic.
Speaker 7: A cooperation of coming together of a bunch of different pieces something for everybody to like but also something for everybody to dislike.
Speaker 8: So it had these Russian.
Speaker 7: Sanctions, which are you know, very much something that both you know, sort of hawks on the Republican side as well as some Democrats wanted to see happen. But these sanctions come in the form of tariffs, which Democrats are not super pleased about, giving the President more authority when it comes to tariffs. This also embedded additional sanctions also on Iran and a raw onion oil producers to bolster some of the sanctions that have been coming from the Treasury Department and gives Congress a little bit more control over that. This is really kind of the strongest rebuke we've seen, you know, in terms of the Iran war coming from Congress. They've largely seated their power to the White House and Trump on this matter, but you know, it ultimately did get across the finish line. Part of that is because this was one of those centerpiece pieces of legislation that Lindsay Graham, who died just a couple of weeks ago, had wanted to get done. So this was really done in his legacy, and you know, made it through the process perhaps more quickly because you know, his friends were doing it in his name versus something that could have gotten bogged down by politics.
Speaker 5: Covering the waterfront here. Want to move on to the Federal Reserve. And the President had some comments on the FED when he sat down with Jake Sherman, of course, creature of Capitol Hill, who made his way to the White House to have a sit down with the President of the United States. He's with punch Bowl News, and let me just play a little bit about that about what he had to say about the Federal Reserve.
Speaker 6: Should wash Kevin worsher FED chair avoid a rate hike before the election?
Speaker 10: Well, it's up to him a little bit, but not completely. And he's got a board that's very political, right, the United States should pay the lowest interest rate in the entire world.
Speaker 6: So you think that he shouldn't high rates before the election, It's.
Speaker 10: Not totally up to him. It's up to a board. I think he's great. I won't be criticizing him, but I've said many times, you know, in the old days twenty twenty five years ago, called it the old days, if you announced good numbers, the interest rates went down because you were a better credit. Right makes sense? Right now, it's all be cocked. Now, it's all a different thing. If you announce great numbers, everybody's depressed because we have great numbers. They think what you're going to do is raise interest rates. But in the old days, when you announce great numbers, interest rates went down. So I want to go back to those days.
Speaker 5: The President. They're a ponting on monetary policy with Jake Sherman of punch Bowl. Lauren. Let me just ask you about something that kind of complimented this. There was this letter that landed last week. Dan Scavino, the head of the Personnel Office at the White House, sent a letter to Lisa Cook, the Fed Governor, on the heels of all of the travails that she's been through and the Supreme Court decision on her appointment, saying, effectively, she has to kind of respond to the allegations that have been levied against her with regard to alleged mor mortgage fraud here by mid August. If I'm not mistaken, where do things stand with that? What does that say about the White House's approach here to the independence of the feder Reserve.
Speaker 7: Melk was not giving up on his attempts to fire Lisa Cook, the Supreme Court earlier this summer said that when he went about it, he didn't do it the right way. So now we're seeing the White House try some different legal avenues to see if they might be able to oust her.
Speaker 8: You know, we heard Trump say there.
Speaker 7: Like, look, this isn't all up to Kevin worsh of course that's his hand picked chair at the Federal Reserve, but that there's a broader board here. So you're seeing the White House sort of pivot to seeing if they can pluck off other members of the board that they could then replace with people who'd be more open to the President's view of wanting to lower interest rates rather than raise them. Although you know, the President did get a little bit of you know, a boost perhaps in yesterday's jobs report, which while from sort of a top line perspective, was disappointing, and that you know, we saw some contraction in jobs, but it at least reduces some of the pressure on the Fed to raise rates. I don't know that's necessarily're sarily going to lead to a rate cut, but we see the White House kind of working all angles here to see if they're able to get the monetary policy that the president desires.
Speaker 2: And speaking of retreading old ideas, we also had this Trump birthright tourism executive order that came out this week in which the President seems to be trying to reimpose with the Supreme Court also struck down, making it restricting those who can qualify for birthright citizenship, including staff workers for foreign governments and babies of mothers who lie about their intentions for visiting the country while pregnant. But Laura, is there any way to enforce this?
Speaker 8: This is a huge question mark.
Speaker 7: This almost seems destined for legal challenges and perhaps yet again another Supreme Court challenge in the coming months, if not year. This is a you know, essentially, the White House lawyers have been working overdrive in the past couple of weeks to respond to some of those losses that Trump had in the Supreme Court earlier this summer to now get some new executive orders or new actions on the board here. But the birthright citizenship was sort of one of his most stinging losses and you know, looks from you know, because of the constitutional nature of the Fourteenth Amendment, there something that he's unlikely to have big legal successes on.
Speaker 5: Lord great to get chup with you. Thank you very much again, I said a lot to cover this morning and help.
Speaker 6: Us get at me.
Speaker 2: Gave Laura her own voterama. Thank you for us being so knowledgeable on all those topics. We appreciate a lot going on in a short period of time, Our.
Speaker 3: Deputy Washington Bureau Chief, stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 5: Right after this, the next summit between Presidence Trump and she is scheduled to take place next month in Washington, and the agenda he's expected to send her on trade and technology.
Speaker 2: And for almost a decade, Evan Osnos is a Beijing based reporter. He's also the author of a book, Age of Ambition, Chasing Fortune, Truth and Faith in the New China. These days he's based in DC, but he recently took a reporting trip to China and a new piece for The New Yorker, he writes that many of those changes have taken place since twenty thirteen, and saying for a long time, China looked west for visions of the future. These days it's favoring its own.
Speaker 5: Its approach to AI is one illustration of that. Evan Osnos is a staff writer for The New Yorker and he joins us Now on this Saturday, Evan, I want to start with AI if I could, because I'm going to paraphrase you here. You'll forgive me for doing that. But you highlight the distinction between the way that China approaches AI and the way that the US does. And I think what you sort of indicate is that in the US the debate is about sort of advanced general intelligence, sort of what that might mean for our society as a whole. It is a much more kind of commercially focused aspiration in China than it is here in the US.
Speaker 11: It is, Yeah, the conversation in China is about how to get it out as fast as possible, as far as possible. And they're not just thinking about how do we get it into Chinese factories, but also how do we get it into Africa, Central Asia, Latin America. And so you have a very different conversation when you're going around as I did, visiting Chinese factories or going to AI consultancies that are looking at ways of bringing this into very old fashioned factories. You know, there's not a whole lot of imaginings about, you know, a sci fi future, even though there are elements of that beginning to present themselves in the present. It's really about, all right, how do we go into a brewery, for instance, that's a real example, and say how do we take beer production and put it into the twenty first century. So it is quite striking when you're on the ground these days about how AI and other technologies feel like they are already part of life.
Speaker 2: And it seems to me the energy aspect is a huge part of that. We were talking earlier with Jokolin from Bank of America talking about the spike we saw in solar socks week, and he said, part of the reason is what we're seeing in the Gulf and this energy deman and China has been really out ahead on energy diversity and we're still seeing this mysterious drop in oil imports from China? Is this Are they more able to throw their weight behind this and backbuild the infrastructure because of just the way they are structured with their government. They can long term plan in a way that a democracy doesn't have to because we change presidents possibly every four years.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is both the blessing and the curse of having a centrally planned system. You know, the blessing, of course, is when you decide you're all in on all kinds of energy, as they have over the course of the last generation. They've gone from producing, you know, sof league like half as much energy as the United States, to producing now much more and actually in many cases it's cheaper. This is partly because they've been able to say from the top, this is what we're doing, and then that filters down through the system, even down into the localities where you get municipal governments that are even on the individual level, you have politicians in the Chinese system competing for promotions by saying, look, we are investing in solar, we're investing in nuclear, whatever it is. The downside, of course, is that when they go off of true north by a few degrees and end up on an engineering project that turns out to be either out of step with market demands or in some cases, like the one child policy which I talk about in this piece, something that produces a huge range of negative economic consequences, then it's very hard to shift that battleship before it can cause more damage. So what we're seeing right now is that this is the moment when those energy investments have paid off, and it's been very helpful for them.
Speaker 5: Hevin, you can count me among those who have been introduced to the New China through your book and through your writing. And I just wondered if you could talk a bit about what it was like to return there on this reporting trip. I think one of the things you observe is kind of the quiet of figing in a way that it wasn't before. Because there are so many electric vehicle now, the means of transportation has changed. The means of commerce has changed as well. The storefronts are less crowded because people are buying things with apps and using delivery services. How different is the new China today than the one that you wrote about now, you know, more than a decade ago.
Speaker 11: It's very interesting to see it up close now. I mean, having lived there for all these years, you kind of absorb a certain street level sense of what China is. And certainly in the first decade of this century, Beijing was a kind of a cacafe in as place. It was a noisy place, and I mean that in all senses of the word. You know, it wasn't just that the cars were noisy, but also there was a real contest of ideas going on, and you would also just go into the alleys. I lived in a Hutong house, and so it was you never quite knew what was going to be opening up. There were businesses that would open, they'd be gone in a few months, or something else would be built in its place. Today there is a much more distinct feeling of the place that is run from the top, and so on the one hand, you get this feel that it is quite literally quieter because of electric vehicles, but then you also get the feeling that some of that hive of activity that was happening in the margins, you know, the smaller communities of artists or ideas that were bubbling up, those have been silenced in some ways, and that is a feeling of that feels like a loss.
Speaker 8: And it also you do get the feeling though, as.
Speaker 11: You know, I was talking to somebody from Singapore not too long ago, and he said about Beijing. He said, when I go there, it feels to me like it now out Singapore's Singapore, meaning that it has that sense of orderliness, But then there is also that bit of sterility, and that's a getting those two ideas into one sentence is part of the reason why I write a long piece of this kind, to try to give people as much a feel as I can what it's like on the ground.
Speaker 2: You also wrote which I thought was interesting. Chinese leaders seem to be betting that by speeding toward the future, they can outrun the mistakes of the recent past. You mentioned the one child policy. I'm wondering which other ones come to mind and what they're trying to reverse course on.
Speaker 11: One of the things they're trying to address, of course, is the property crash. Since twenty twenty one, we've all been living through the effects of that. Economically, there are now just to put a fine point on it, there are now as many vacant homes in China, apartments and villas, as there would be to house the entire population of Russia. So you have this enormous overhang from that property crash, and they're saying, look, if we can more or less catapult ourselves into a new phase of economic history, then perhaps we can light a fire again under people, get them feeling like they're no longer, as the saying goes among young Chinese, no longer looking to lie flat. Maybe get people to start feeling more energized about the economy and about their own opportunities. That's really the core of it, guys, I think is this feeling of can you reignite that feeling of opportunit tunity. That's the thing that was running through Age of Ambition when I wrote about the China of the twenty tens. And there are moments, there are little glimpses when you go to places in China these days and you see this dynamic frontier of the new economy that is happening. But then when you also talk to people who have felt like those opportunities are only for a privileged view, and they say, look, I'm not equipped for the AI economy. I'm not equipped for this new advanced manufacturing generation. Where do I fit in? And the irony is, of course, it's not a conversation that's all that different from one of the ones we're beginning to have here in the United States.
Speaker 8: So there's something to it.
Speaker 11: How do you make sure that many people feel a sense of agency in the new AI era?
Speaker 5: In the minute we have left, I want to ask you about what I found is kind of the most important part of the peace to my mind, that's in my minute, I think that, you know, there are a lot of kind of graybeards talking about political theory and the American order waning and what might rise in its place. And you write, spend enough time in Beijing and Washington these days, and the rivalry looks less like a clash of competing systems than a race between small oligarchic groups, tight circles of men with immen's power over everyone else's future. Talk a bit more about that, if you wouldn't.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it is a very noticeable feeling. After I've been working on this for a long time, I came away with the sense that this is the dark matter, the piece that doesn't get described enough and as clearly, which is that there is a feeling, both in the United States and in China that these enormous decisions about what role will these new technologies play in our economies, in our private lives, in our own sense of how we educate our kids and how to prepare them for the future, it doesn't feel like we have a hand in those decisions, and that creates an enormous sense of uncertainty. And I heard this not only from regular people on the street in you know, you could do that in the US, but even from some AI executives in Beijing who said, look, I too have these questions, how should I educate my kids to participate in the future. In some ways, there is a point of commonality here, which is about how will these two big important countries engaye AI in a way that allows their regular citizens to feel as if something is happening with their involvement rather than happening to them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's always great to speak with you. Thank you very much. As seven OUs nos he's a staff writer at The New Yorker. His new piece out in this week's issue. Thank you very much, EEV. Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Stay with us for more on bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 5: Right after this, Welcome back to Bloomberd this weekend. I'm David Gerra with Lisa Matteo and Christina Raffini.
Speaker 6: All Right, David Gera, how often have you worn camouflage?
Speaker 5: Approximately zero times in my life.
Speaker 6: That surprises me zero percent.
Speaker 2: All right, So, a very specific type of camo that you usually see in the deep woods is now getting kind of a resurgence, and you're seeing it on runways and city street. It's camouflage is getting a surge, and it's getting licensing deals with some major brands. So here to explain what exactly this is and why it's happening is Bloomberg pursuits Madison Derbyshire, who has come with I believe. So when I read this and it said camo, I thought like fatigue camo, But that's not quite it was.
Speaker 6: That was what we did in like the early ots. But this is a different It is like deep woods camo, this stepwoods camo. We call it hunting camouflage.
Speaker 12: Okay, And when I started reporting the story, I didn't actually know there was much of a difference. But it turns out it's an entirely different category of camo, and it's dominated by a few very large companies in the Deep South. And I kind of I didn't even know to be looking for it until I had to write a story last year about hunting that required me to buy an outfit. Bloomberg bought me this beautiful jacket so that I could do the story, and I started wearing it around New York City.
Speaker 6: You could see it's got like leaves and seeks on it.
Speaker 12: I started wearing it around New York City and people would stop me on the street and me where I had got my jacket?
Speaker 6: What designer was it?
Speaker 12: And I had to tell them it was Bass Pro Shop from Harlingen, Texas. But it cost fifteen dollars. But it was easily the most complimented item of clothing in my wardrobe. And I started to wonder, like why were people so interested in the style? And then I started seeing it everywhere in New York City.
Speaker 6: I wore the wrong one.
Speaker 4: I wore the military fatigue camo. Is there a right or a wrong way to wear it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 6: Can I can? I?
Speaker 7: Can?
Speaker 6: I don that the Yankee hat with the this is a lot of camo? Does this work? I think it works? How do you wear camo the right way?
Speaker 2: I think she's being very.
Speaker 12: I think it works. But they mean very different things. So that green hunting or this green camo the ove on your hat was essentially it was the only camo that until the mid eighties existed because it was created essentially for America's last foreign war, which was Vietnam. But hunters in the American South were frustrated that the camo didn't really work with the topography of the region, and they were still finding themselves like very visible to the animals that they wanted to hunt.
Speaker 6: Like turkeys. So there were.
Speaker 12: Two kind of major players in this, one named Toxi Hayes and the others Bill Jorden, and they decided to design their own camo and kind of two separate camo empires, one called Real Tree, one called Massy Oak, in order to create hunting camo that was a little bit more appropriate for the topography of America, and that camo has not been popular in fashion until very recently. Like this camo was a very big part of the anti Vietnam War protest. It's something that you would see in Abercrombie and Fitch. I know that I wore it, like my entire early adolescents, I wore cargo pants. But to a lot of people, this camo really suggests military, it suggests like aggression.
Speaker 6: It's very masculine.
Speaker 12: And there's something that's really interesting happening with the hunting camo is that the associations people have with this pattern tend to be very regional. So people who hunt, people are from the South will be very familiar with this pattern. But until the last five years, you really didn't see it that often In New York.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you about that. So you hear, are the trendsetter going to best pro shops and coming to New York City wearing this trendsetter? You know, you asked if I've ever weren't? No, But I grew up in the South, so it is recognizable to me. When and how did it make the leap to something that folks who are in New York, there'd be a cognizant to New York who would recognize what this is.
Speaker 12: American style, rural Southern style has kind of become a ubiquitous aesthetic for Americana right now. You see, cowboy boots have had this major boom. Carhart jackets are everywhere in Williamsburg.
Speaker 8: As well as the South.
Speaker 5: Yeah and Brooklyn.
Speaker 12: Yeah, there's nowhere you can go where men do not want to wear a vintage Carhart jacket. Which when I was growing up, like I have a lot of family in the Deep South, that was considered work where my grandfather used to call it clothes for honest labor. Interesting, you bought them in the tractor's supply. They were not sold on high streets of Paris.
Speaker 6: They are now.
Speaker 12: But what people are really looking for was this kind of vintage aesthetics, So they started buying the vintage car hert that looked like they had been worn in, like worked in, And the kind of logical next step for that was hunting camera because it has this very American.
Speaker 6: Very rural association.
Speaker 12: But people, one of the really interesting things about this moment is people are buying used hunting clothes, so things that have been really broken in are being worn by men who have never hunted a turkey.
Speaker 6: In their lives.
Speaker 2: The person I was going to ask is, like, my issue with the card is someone else who grew up with people actually wearing these for work? Is like your couse playing a working American. It's giving like Marie Antoinette playing milkmaid, Like is there something kind of off about these guys who've never done this, you know, trying to emulate this or is that just fashion and just kind of part of the fun.
Speaker 6: I think it's both.
Speaker 12: It's it is fashion. People want to wear things that suggest an identity that they want to be a part of, Like denim and workwhear really entered fashion in the seventies and eighties, when like blue jeans were not a thing right before they came into fashion because people wanted to wear things that suggested blue collar. They want because it was seen as like more vera or more masculine.
Speaker 6: And you see kind of the same thing coming into play.
Speaker 12: We're in this moment where traditional masculinity is kind of politically ascendant, and so there are people who are unironically wearing these clothes, these articles of clothing because that's what they think an American man looks like. And then there are people who might be wearing it, like the Balenciaga jacket that kind of fashion loves irony, right, and so love they want to suggest these things, and there is something a little ironic about paying twenty six hundred dollars or twenty seven hundred dollars for a hunting jacket that you can get at basket pro shops for fifteen dollars, right. So it is really interesting the way that fashion takes these controversial images and they ironize them and also to some people, Like one of the things I think we don't talk about enough is there's just not them any patterns that men feel like they can wear that are culturally acceptable for men to wear, that fit with traditional ideas of masculinity. You know, they don't really have animal prints the way that women do. They don't really have florals unless they're feeling particularly bold. Maybe they have stripes, and camo is one of those things that men really gravity towards, and then women gravitate towards to.
Speaker 6: Steal from the men.
Speaker 5: Madison, thank you very.
Speaker 12: Much, Thanks so much for having me. This is really fun.
Speaker 4: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 2: Right after this, all right, welcome back to Bloomberg this Weekend or BT Doves. I'm Christine Raffini with David Gera who's not gonna argue with me about still Thinking Dog. I think Lisa is about to tell us about one hundred hot Dog, as well as other stories you might have missed this week.
Speaker 5: Fast becoming an obsession?
Speaker 6: Really are you starting with us? Are you starting with something else? I'm going to start and slow. We're going to please, We're going to get in.
Speaker 5: We're going to.
Speaker 4: Fill the anticipation for the hot time.
Speaker 5: It's high. Everyone can't wait.
Speaker 6: They can't.
Speaker 5: I really can't stop talking about it.
Speaker 6: We have mother is that place speaks of David doesn't anymore? Preseason football? Right, my gosh?
Speaker 7: We are?
Speaker 4: Are we starting to talk about the preseason football. Okay, so Bloomberg Weekend has a story out sports fans stare down two thousand dollars streaming bill to follow That is.
Speaker 5: Twenty hundred dollars hot dogs by.
Speaker 6: The way out of control.
Speaker 4: As David Gerr just is the reason why these pro leagues are just signing these deals with multiple services, right because you're sitting there trying to watch the.
Speaker 6: Game and you're like, where is it playing? Is it on the worst time? Is it on this? Is it on Peacock? Is it on where?
Speaker 2: I don't know how hard this was, because we know I don't watch the sports ball, but when I did actually try to wash the World Cup, the only place I could find it on the eighteen streaming services I get was like Univision through NBC. I watched it in Spanish.
Speaker 6: You did, oh, okay, it was really hard. I consider it Spans. But I'm not going to keep going. Let me let me break down how the two thousand comes out.
Speaker 4: Okay, So these are for people who let's say you're you're from upstate New York and you move to Florida, but you want to watch your New York teams.
Speaker 6: Okay, here's what you got to do.
Speaker 4: You have to pay one hundred and thirty dollars a year for MLB to watch Yankees.
Speaker 6: Maybe Okay, then you.
Speaker 4: Have to subscribe to ESPN Plus during hockey season to watch the Savers. You have to subscribe to another five streaming services to make sure you get every Buffalo Bills game because they're all in different streaming services.
Speaker 5: Out of control, I'm telling you, out of control.
Speaker 6: I know we all.
Speaker 2: Hated cable, but like, can we just go back to cable? It really was a better deal.
Speaker 4: And I have cable and you still can't watch because some are like exclusive to these services.
Speaker 5: So it's enough to make you go to a sports bar where you can watch it on TV no matter what. But no, it's true. And actually so I have a son who's a Yankees fan. It's quite hard because games will be blocked out as well. You can't your local and you.
Speaker 6: Can watch really hit the blackout.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's designed to infuriate, it is. What's else?
Speaker 6: You got a cooking shows?
Speaker 5: Shows? Am I?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 2: Am?
Speaker 12: I do?
Speaker 6: I love watching them? Okay, so guess who has one?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: A Secretary of Health Human Services are FK.
Speaker 6: Junior?
Speaker 12: High.
Speaker 5: I did not know this.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: Thing I like about cooking shows is it's not politics, Lisa.
Speaker 5: That was a radical turn. Okay, he's got a show.
Speaker 4: The Washington Post. So the show is on, it's on YouTube. The reviews are out. This one's from the Washington Post. RFK Junior's Cooking Show is a rich person's solution to a poor person's problem.
Speaker 6: Okay. So the show is basically based on.
Speaker 4: This premise that, yes, America's diet is horrible. Right, So he has a special celebrity chef each time who goes along with him, and they want to hear it is how to cook delicious, nutritious meals with real ingredients at affordable prices.
Speaker 6: So that's the premise of it. Premise it is. But here's the problem that the.
Speaker 4: Washington Post found is that in an episode he goes through salmon cakes, right, how to make it the arugula salad with it, and he says the recipe is going to work for about four dollars and ninety one cents. The problem is that that's the price person serve if you want a little arugula, you know, if you don't want to buy the whole container of mayonnaise, avocado lenaise, So it doesn't take that at consideration. They say it really comes out to like seventy three dollars and forty six that's a person, So that's really yeah, So it's.
Speaker 6: A big difference if you think of it.
Speaker 2: Also, like economies of scale when you're cooking for a family, like even as a single person who tries to cook, like sometimes it just doesn't save you that much money because you can't eat it fast enough, you can't make enough, and you have to buy a giant thing of a regular or giant thing of olive oil. Like if you don't have that stuff in your house, it's really expensive.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Second show here by a Cabinet secretary Sean Duffy had that show travel show with this family. But it's not out yet. Nobody knows where it is, so stay tuned, WI.
Speaker 6: Give you a untill they miss that.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Too?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, you want to get to the hot dog?
Speaker 6: Can we do it?
Speaker 5: We do it?
Speaker 6: Let's do it?
Speaker 4: Why Wall Street Turtle has it out? You got to see the Bigtures The Rise of the one hundred dollars hot Dog?
Speaker 6: Is that cave if you're listening on radio. There is cave are on a hot dog.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is we have a rich Man's one dollars glitzy, okay and glitzen. It has marscapone thirty grandcaviar, twenty four carrot edible gold flakes and.
Speaker 6: It's served on a fresh croissant bun.
Speaker 4: And yes, there is a hot dog included in that vodka.
Speaker 5: That had gold flakes and a gold girl.
Speaker 6: It was a college face. What's a classic?
Speaker 5: Say? I continue to derail this segment. I'm just going to take us down that past. Where can I get these hot dogs?
Speaker 4: You can get this, okay, So there's one at breckinrich Ski Sea Resort right.
Speaker 6: The tower stone while you were announced.
Speaker 4: Instead of the tower voicers, you can get a tower of hot dogs for sixty dollars.
Speaker 5: Okay, sixty dollars.
Speaker 6: And instead of a foot long, how about a two foot long?
Speaker 5: Hello nineteen fun All right, we.
Speaker 6: Are going off the rail. It's forty five dollars of course, field and done for Let's move on.
Speaker 5: Why is it all in Colorado?
Speaker 2: Because I hate that because my home state likes to eat things outside and I don't know livestock.
Speaker 6: There's no there's always four. Let's hit it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So private colleges are admitting more students who didn't apply.
Speaker 6: This isn't blant.
Speaker 4: This is actually interesting because I just met my daughter received a letter from a college she never applied for and said that she got an eighteen thousand scholarship to So this is happening.
Speaker 6: Here's the reason why.
Speaker 4: Okay, So the common app this is where parents kind of sign on and you can click, and it makes applying to.
Speaker 6: Schools super easy.
Speaker 4: But they're now doing they're participating in a direct admission and so what that means is that, you know, kids could just start getting these admitted into these colleges that never applied for. And so what it's doing, they're saying, it's opening up to a more diverse crowd. It's helping because all these colleges are fighting to get students to apply and the private ones are closing down a lot. So it's just a way to kind of increase their enrollment. And and students are saying it's opening up their eyes to the scholarships that are.
Speaker 2: That's TCU is you take the PSAT in those colleges, it's not an offer, but they will try to recruit you. And I did get a letter from a school I've never heard of and up going there because they give me money.
Speaker 6: So it's kind of a cool thing.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 5: It is it is.
Speaker 6: I like that more than a hundred dog.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Lisa with bt W.
Speaker 4: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend. Right after this, well, time for.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite moments in the show, the pointed news quiz News Now it's sas I've got my chips are right on the table in front of me. Christina counting for is up as well. Lisa Matteo here.
Speaker 6: Is with where's the week?
Speaker 5: The questions what do you have?
Speaker 6: Questions?
Speaker 4: Okay, for those playing at home, here's how it works. Okay, so they each have thirty ships in front of their okay, get very very tall, and what they will do is they will place their bets on each category to figure out you know, if you feel like you're confident about the first category, you might want to put all your chips on there, or maybe you might want to not put something on the second category category because you're like, hey, I don't think I know enough about about it, so let's get right to it. Okay, you're ready to play along, I'm ready to play your three categories.
Speaker 6: Here we go.
Speaker 4: The first is trade wars, yes, the second is malls very good, and the third is outbreaks.
Speaker 6: So what did you know? The most of it?
Speaker 2: Quite running the gambit there.
Speaker 5: You know, I haven't used the Raffini strategy in recent weeks. It has worked to my advantage, but Today'm going to lean on it. I'm going to go ten on each ten on each category.
Speaker 2: I'm also going to ten on each Lisa, look at me. If you let him cheat this week, I will follow you to your car.
Speaker 6: Go trade wars here, here's your question.
Speaker 4: In a retaliatory move, China is limiting exports to the US of what tech product commonly made by DG I.
Speaker 6: So what is the d J I? Sorry, d J.
Speaker 5: I limiting exports to the US of what tech product commonly made by d J I?
Speaker 6: What is this product? We need a hint? No, we do not know. We do not We do not need a hint.
Speaker 5: All right, I rode chips.
Speaker 6: Micro chips.
Speaker 4: No picture, You are correct, I know. So President and Piggy scheduled to meet with Donald Trump in the US next month. They agreed to build this relationship for constructive strategic stability.
Speaker 6: Yes, so yeah, Christina is up.
Speaker 2: David Gray also make very good wireless microphones.
Speaker 6: A lot of podcasters here, d J.
Speaker 2: I yeah, those will pip on ones that are the Square, those are DJ Mix.
Speaker 6: They're very good.
Speaker 5: Do we use those?
Speaker 2: Are these podcast This is more like if you're like a.
Speaker 6: YouTuber, the very popular.
Speaker 5: Not an endorsement, not a not aid endorsement, not at all.
Speaker 6: All right, all right, are you ready for malls?
Speaker 5: I feel sad.
Speaker 2: I feel good about this category, Christina, You're gonna get this?
Speaker 6: Okakay?
Speaker 4: Which Edgy American mall staple is being sold to the parent company of Spencer's and Spirit Halloween.
Speaker 6: Spencer Edgy store Spencer.
Speaker 4: Okay, but it's being sold to the parent company of Spencer's.
Speaker 6: Gosh, I remember that.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say something, but I don't want to give him a hint again.
Speaker 6: Like I did last week. So I'm gonna wait.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna wait, come on, Okay, all right, Edgy mall staple an edgy store there, that's not Edgy?
Speaker 6: What are you talking? If this is the place David Girl has never shopped in his life, I believe it a hot hot topic, Hot topic and Spencer's were always next to each other.
Speaker 5: What is hot topic?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry? What is hot topic? I like goth, a little bit goth? Would you say right?
Speaker 13: It is?
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 2: If you were an aspiring goth in Colorado Springs, Colorado who went to Catholic school and had to wear uniforms, all you wanted in life was to dress and all the things your mother wouldn't let you buy it high.
Speaker 5: If any raffinis are watching the program, I want to send in photographs of that era in your life, which may or may not be shown on era.
Speaker 2: None of their affinies are watching, they can't do that would be okay.
Speaker 6: They're gonna text my brother. Oh lord, okay, David Gura. I have twenty tips in front of me and you've got ten there. Yeah, you led me all these little piles I have. Let's come into outbreak.
Speaker 5: It's the summer.
Speaker 6: Phil Bristoke over this morning. Okay, I think you're going to get this one. I'm not sure about. Okay, okay. Outbreaks?
Speaker 4: Which food is being blamed for a salmonella outbreak across twenty seven states? Varieties include T, A, M, and Goliath. So what food a salmonella outbreak.
Speaker 5: Gosh, I'm not.
Speaker 6: Talking about cyclospora vegetable. I can come up with us that one. What food is with it?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's a type of food, yes, the type of food I wrote tomatoes no, which I know is not right.
Speaker 6: No, jalapeno I love so much. That's yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like we're down for like sweet green it was it was a it's a pretty bad time.
Speaker 6: So what can we eat is pretty bad? What can you eat? I know you can't let it?
Speaker 5: Have you had the churiedo? What is it? There's has no lettuce and maybe nolopenos in it as well.
Speaker 6: All right, guys, we're not doing David Kerr, I think you got that wrong. Yeah, I'm sorry. So you have how many ships you have?
Speaker 5: Got the bonuses and all?
Speaker 2: No, it is not an all in nothing situation at least the.
Speaker 5: Rules bonus bonus round. We always go all in?
Speaker 6: Is aviation okay, I always go all in.
Speaker 4: Brazil is investing in Macauba okay, hoping it will become a source of sustainable aviation fuel.
Speaker 13: What is mab and you sell? I hope I said that like macaba and are dancing with one another Brazilian.
Speaker 6: Yes, Brazilian dance.
Speaker 5: I don't know. It might be a aviation fuel.
Speaker 6: What is this?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 6: I did that could be used for aviation? But I got it oil? Nope, sorry, it's fruit.
Speaker 5: And hold on.
Speaker 4: Yes, it grows on palm trees. Okay, Brazil is investing three billion dollars palm.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's why I couldn't remember. But you had the palm oil. But it doesn't look like a fruit. I saw this article.
Speaker 4: I thought it was an eventually, yeah, and they're trying to modify to become like larger oil, safer to handle because it has thorns on it and it's hard to handle, hard to harvest. So yes, So that means Christina is our champion. And you know what you win? You have a price today came jacket from our camel from.
Speaker 6: Our colleage segment. All right, I'm going to disappear here.
Speaker 5: You can test your knowledge on all ten questions you can find at Bloomberg dot com or and the Bloomberg Business app. You can take that pointed quiz. There multiple choices available. Thank you for joining us on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on today's Bloomberg this weekend podcast, Don't forget to tune in live for the show every Saturday and Sunday morning, starting at seven am Eastern.
Speaker 3: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.