Speaker 1: Cut over that DJ More episode Touchdown Touchdown Pairs. I am Jeff Jonilitz, is not dot go.
Speaker 2: What was like playing for Coachy? Did?
Speaker 1: I don't want to answer any questions like that pressure coming is a big trouble. Dot it goes Montest Sweat Now. Bears, et cetera. Brought to you by Geico with the voices of the Bears, Jeff Joniac and Tom Thayer. Well, closing out a game of the NFL requires a lot. If we're being honest, it takes good fortune, of course, strategy, execution, and belief. With Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom there, I'm Jeff Jonyac, Episode one twelve with the Bears, et cetera podcast brought to you by Geico. Good to be with you, Tom. Learning how to win is hard.
Speaker 3: It's hard, Yeah, Winning Learning how to win is hard. Winning is hard. The NFL is hard. If that wasn't the case, and everybody else would be applying for this job, and that's just not the case. And you have changes on your football team throughout the course of the season that you have to be able to adjust to. But as miserable as I am after the end result of that game, there's a lot of positive things that I am really looking forward to putting in motion next week against the Minnesota Viking. So I'm not sitting here today as miserable as I have.
Speaker 4: Been in a lot of Green Bay Bear games.
Speaker 1: But they did block the kick and three guys jumping in the air and leaning on the long snapper, and now we can talk about what Flus can't. We'll listen to Flues here in a few moments. They're sending the tape in to get reviewed. But it is what it is. I heard Teddy Bruski, which I brought up with Coach. You'll hear that. Many others have come out and said, why is this not a penalty? I mean, it's a penalty.
Speaker 4: Tom, I know, I know it is.
Speaker 3: I mean it's evident on film. I don't understand why the officials decide not to make calls that have ramifications in the outcome of the game at the most important times in the game.
Speaker 4: And it's just kind of silly.
Speaker 3: But you know what's even sillier to me is sending in the tape because that just leads the frustration because they're gonna go and they're gonna look at the tape and then you're gonna get a nicely handwritten, typed email letter or whatever saying, oh, yeah, this should have been called, and nothing is going to change in the results. It's not like you're going to bring everybody back on the field, re line them up in the field goal position with a five yard game, or whatever the case is. And it just reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when they called Javon Dexter Senior for launching I just you know you again. I think you might have used the word consistency. Yeah, And that's what they're looking for out of the officials.
Speaker 1: Because the first snap in the first second of the game is equally as important to making it right as the last snap in the end of the game. So this idea, you don't make those calls at end of games, whether it be pass interference or that particular No, that's not how it works. It's not it shouldn't work that way. Nonetheless, tastes like mither time Celebrate responsibly Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two carbs per twelve ounces. Let's break down that snap though from your perspective, because you've been on that unit in your career, the idea of getting as lower as you possibly can because the defenders are doing that to try and create that pile where they can lean off of and put their hands up in the air. What's the technique there?
Speaker 3: The technique and you know, Dicky used to make fun of me all the time for it because on extra point and field goal protection, as you interlock legs, you almost have to get in a stance a three point stance that you're as low as a frog, and because you have to be able to uncoil into force because you're always going to have multiple people, especially on the inside, attacking you. So that means that you've got to be powerful, strong, low win the leverage game. If you are up high in your stance and you lose leverage at impact, there's a good chance that the ball can be blocked. So you may look silly in your stance, but it's all about making sure that you instantly win leverage.
Speaker 1: So take me to this though, Why did he make fun of you? Did he think you look funny on tape?
Speaker 3: Yes, because when we used to look at the extra point field goals in tape, because we always started with special teams, and that carried over to offense and defense. And he used to say, look at yourself here, you look like a frog, and I go, I know, but I've never given up a field goal block or an extra point block.
Speaker 4: So that's what you're going to get out of me.
Speaker 1: In that situation, I would say, thank you, coach, I do look like a frog? Is how I do it?
Speaker 3: Well, my whole the whole thing that I got was Jay Hilgenberg, the snapper back then. So when you when the ball is snap, you interlock legs with the person next to you, and Jay used to just emphasize and reemphasize, don't touch my leg, don't if you're going to interlock, interlock behind me, don't watch me because if he did get pushed at all when you used to be able to attack the head of the center, that means that he would go back over end. And just because you have no regripping on your with your feet, and so it was just I was more worried about touching him than I was and how I looked in the stance.
Speaker 1: Well, that being said, you know, I have so much faith in Cairo Santos. He's been so good over the course of his time with the bar since twenty twenty, and he's been inbooting a lot of fifty yarders. So all the analysis and now is coming out about how he kicks the ball allegedly and the low trajectory, you know whatever. Now that that's convenient for that moment to describe all that. But I think he's an outstanding kicker and they have a lot of faith in him. Tom. I can't believe that after seven snaps, the starting offensive line had to get somebody else out there, and it was unfortunate Bates got a concussion or inconcussion protocol. So in comes Jake Kerrn and he comes in at left guard. I know he played almost seven hundred snaps at right tackle in his career, but I don't know how much guard he's played. And I thought the offensive line did a really good job yesterday, and I think with the benefit of Caleb getting rid of the ball quicker as well, help that unit. You break it down, you've broken it down. What did you see? You know?
Speaker 3: I think the offensive line capitalized on an efficiency in the way they called the plays. They didn't make sure they didn't give these guys unrealistic amount of protection time that Caleb was trying to identify a receiver. They said, okay, we're gonna give immedia get the ball out of Caleb's hands immediately. So the pass protection can be more aggressive and it can be less time consuming. Then if Caleb, if you see an ejection opportunity within that pocket or the design of the protection, you take off but sensibly get down instead of taking any abuse at the end of your scrambles. And then the design of the specificness of the speed of the play, then the way DeAndre Swift was hitting the play to those outside edge plays. Everything helped the offensive line play a faster game themselves. And when you don't have these lingering, unexpected lengths of time that you have to hold a protection, it benefits their style play, especially when you have a tackle play and guard. And one of the things I know we'll hear it in the Fluce interview with you, the more makeable third downs, And I think that was a key point of emphasis when you're going to call the plays, make sure that you have success on first and second down, so you're in third in reality, and now you can bring multiple guys at the line of scrimmage. They can be picked up Rochean DeAndre Swift are good reliable blockers in the backfield. So the combination of the offensive line, the changes they and the new play calling with the immediacy of the play calling, I think it benefited everybody.
Speaker 1: Have anew or gently used coat land around. We'll head to your local Jewel lost Goo until February tenth and donate one of your new or gently used coach to the thirty sixth annual Chicago Bears Coat Drive help keep Chicago and warm this winter. All right, let's get the status at hallis from Bears head coach Matt Eberflus. All right, thanks Matt once again. You know, as Tom and I were discussing and with you in post game and more, we dwelled down and watch tape, but so many positives. What looked best in your mind? What will look best to Maddie?
Speaker 4: Obviously?
Speaker 5: The obvious is the is the offense, you know, and and you know they took major strides in one week. And my hats off to Thomas Brown and the offensive staff and the players. You know, they took ownership, took accountability of where they were and had found solutions to get better. And one of those solutions is getting the ball to our skill you know, in space, creating space for those skill players in the offensive play call in the scheme. And you could clearly see that during the course of that game. And we just have to do that in more creative ways as we get going, you know, here on to Minnesota.
Speaker 6: But you look at you know, the ability to you.
Speaker 5: Know, DJ Moore seven for seven on his targets and receptions you know, sixty two yards.
Speaker 6: Same thing.
Speaker 5: You know, Rome got, you know, six receptions sixty five yards. Keenan had four for forty one, Cole three for forty two, you know, so you know, and then we got you know, got a screen pass, a couple of passes off the swift too. So I think it's really good. And again the offensive staff did a really nice job there.
Speaker 1: How did it help the offensive line and the quickening of the process because he got rid of the ball according to multiple stats that services you guys probably have your own, but his his quickest time of release getting rid of the football this season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's really good, you know, the rhythm and the timing of it, even even though I said it in the presser earlier, is that getting the play call in and getting operation there, and the energy and how we're snapping to the to the line of scrimmage, and the the ball faking and the carrying out the ball fakes and all the little details there.
Speaker 6: You know, we were.
Speaker 5: Improved, and it's something that we emphasize, you know, going back to square one, but also being able to get our guys.
Speaker 1: In space and the last drive. You get sacked on the first two. A lot of quarterbacks they're kind of turtle, it's over, like this is not looking good. What does he do? He showed what he is what he's going to be, some terrific acrobat, you know, Huideni type stuff, getting rid of getting avoiding a sack, getting rid of the ball, the room play, I mean the Keenan Allen played a lot of good stuff there, right that you can really focus on moving forward to close out games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know it's you know, it's I think it was forty two yards, I believe, you know, to get us into that position, and you know, the you know, the first two sacks, you know, you know obviously you know we don't you don't want to take those, and you know we can clean those things up in terms of protection and you know, getting getting the ball out, but the plate at Rome and on the scramble drow there, you know, scrambling to his right horrific. And then Rome really being friendly to him, you know in that you know soft zone area there, it was really good. And then you know the the fadeball, you know, the back shoulder fade there versus man coverage was excellent to Rome.
Speaker 6: What a throw, what a catch?
Speaker 5: You know, that's great to see those two do that, you know, those two guys that were drafted together. And then uh, you know the one, the very last one was a max you know, it was a max pressure and we checked it to protection and did a great job of adjusting the protection to that and then delivering the ball on time out on that option out route to uh Kenyan.
Speaker 1: And these aren't small things. These are big things. Those those two plays alone are big things, right, Yeah, they's things.
Speaker 5: It's big growth, and it's it's it's it's really being on the same page right and being in tune with what's going on on the football field.
Speaker 6: And I really believe it.
Speaker 5: It slowed down for him and you can see that, and you could see him operate.
Speaker 1: And another thing too, you know about say situational football, which you're always working on, always preaching about, always working on, especially third down. So third down yards going into the game near the bottom of the league, they're just like three point three yards per play, Like yesterday you doubled that seven point six yards per play on third down. A really big jump on third down.
Speaker 6: What do you.
Speaker 1: Signify as or as Yeah, we've had.
Speaker 5: A big emphasis on the third downs and and kind of the inverse of what you're talking about. We we talked about let's get ourselves into six or less, you know, and you know, we were a lot of of shorter distances there, which is good. That means you're running the ball well, you're you're passing games efficient on first and second down, and then you're getting yourself into situations that aren't as longer.
Speaker 6: And we did that and so and again we.
Speaker 5: Obviously you stated the yards that we got. We converted on a lot of.
Speaker 1: Those seven of nine and third or six or less on third down. Yeah, so that was that was big. And then the ability by that offensive line on these crack sweeps, cracked toss sweep, I mean, Braxton look fantastic. It turns into a touchdown. Is that one of your go to plays?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's one of the first things we put in. You know, it's you know, probably day two or three install I think. But again, you we go direct first and then we go outside after that. So it's important that you know, you get those seal blocks on the outside and those are all done by receiver tight end type guys. You know, Cole and Keenan and Rome and DJ. Those are all guys that we put in those positions and they did a really good job of doing that. And then you have guys from the inside coming outside to kick out and that's where you saw Braxton out there doing that and a couple other guys on the perimeter. And it's also evident on the perimeter screens as well, and you saw that too.
Speaker 1: DJ play almost like Deebo with the ball in his hands, thick, his explode, all the things that make him a great receiver, especially on some of those sideline routes when they think you got them and you don't. That plays well when the balls in his hands, no matter how you get it to him, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, he's a really good yard off to catch guy.
Speaker 5: He's got great contact balance and the sooner you can get the ball in his hands is better. But he also is he runs deep routes too, and he's exciting that way. So we're exciting about just keep on developing that chemistry between the receivers and the quarterbacks.
Speaker 6: I know that you're starting to see.
Speaker 5: Some of that as we go, and those guys spend extra time together last week, pre practice, post practice, in the meetings.
Speaker 6: And I think it's going to pay some givings.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I said the same exact thing last night on Bears Game Night Live. It's gonna happen. Like to me, it's the last frontier. Yet they're almost there on these deep shots. Yes, like you said, a few have hit. But when those hit, what's that going to do for the office in general and defenses and how they defend the Bears, because that would change a lot of things about pressures and all that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it really will. So stretch it out. We got to keep working.
Speaker 5: That, stretching all the parts of the field in our passing game, you know, finding that open space if it's deep, you know, or short. We need to keep doing that and be creative and we do.
Speaker 6: It all right.
Speaker 1: Defense, What are your thoughts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, defensively, you know, we wanted to stop the run. I thought we did a better job of that. You know, we weren't perfect in that regard, but I thought we did a better job in terms of stopping the runner. I know that he had some scrambles in there, and uh, you know, really, to me, the biggest thing is is is a pass rush. You know, we really got to get that going. I know it's been you know, a couple of weeks since we've got it going in the right direction. But we got to really do a good job of squeezing the pocket and you know, and condensing that so there's nowhere to run or you know, get out of the pocket and then throw deep. And that's what happened on a couple of those deep passes. So we just got to be you know, more coordinated with our pass rush.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: When Montes I was asked last night, also, is he playing hurt? And I would say, yeah, everybody is right now, little little banged up, right you.
Speaker 6: Everybody's banged up.
Speaker 5: That's the time of the year, and you know we're working in here. But uh, you know, we'll get the guys healthy ready to go for this week versus Minnesota.
Speaker 1: I like what you had to say earlier on Monday at hallis Hall when you were discussing your weekly news conference and you you look the guys in the eye and they looked you in the eye at the meat team meeting on Monday morning, and you just felt a positive vibe from that. Can you go deeper into that to what you were forering to maybe expand your thought on that.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, when you're going through adversity, you know your your mental toughness is tested and your resolve is tested, and you have to look each other and I look yourself in the mirror and say, hey, I'm going to get this done and be determined and we're going to do it together. And that to me is the starting point. And these guys have came to work every single week. I know we've had a couple of disappointing losses, last plays of the game type of thing, and again we just got to keep keep diving in to how we can get better and how we can improve as a football team and keep playing together the right way and then, uh, you know, we'd like to result the end.
Speaker 1: There's all sorts of components to get a win obviously, or things that have to happen to get a win. But the biggest is belief. That's to me is belief belief that you're gonna like go march down the field like Caleb did, found a way. So do you feel the belief is there on this team that they and but still learning how to finish and learning how to win. Is that that's the great unknown, right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And there's some great examples of that. You know, just in the first half, how we how we intercepted the pass and they drove it the length of the field and then they was you know, being able to dis exhaust that whole first, you know with a touchdown and take the wind out of that and take all the time out. And then in the fourth quarter, you know, we do a really good job, you know of stopping them. You know, we dig it out of there. We decided to take a delay and then punt and pin. You know, they had that explosive pass they score with him. I think it was a minute eighteen, right, and then we stopped a two point conversion. You know, Tremain did a nice job of making the adjustment he needed to at the line of scrimmage at that particular play and made a nice stop and then you know the offense, you know, does their thing, you know, with obviously the adversity to start, but also you know, converting on the third, you know, third, nineteen, fourth and three and then getting some position to win the game. So there's evidence right there that we can get this thing done, and we just got to keep finishing the right way with detail.
Speaker 1: I know you can't talk about it in detail. I know you sent it into the league, but the rule is the rule. And I heard Teddy Bruski on the ESPN saying, hey, officials, you just can't pick and choose when to apply the rule. And so long snapper got buried in there, that's me saying it. You're not saying that. But it was enough to warrant to send the tape in. So in terms of consistency, we all seek that right in making calls. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: It's the end of the game, right, it.
Speaker 5: Doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. We we got to do a good job with that. And again we will turn it in and see what they say. But again, that's that's what we saw.
Speaker 1: The vikings eight and I call them maybe the surprise team in the league just based on the quarterback situation and sam Donold's resurrected his career in a big way. That's one. They have a lot of weaponry. Obviously we know them. Well, what are your thoughts quickly on the Vikings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean obviously playing well, playing winning football. You know, they had some close games. Their their defense creates a lot of problems, you know, in terms of their front and their coverages, their their pressure package, and they have the ability to change it up and mix that thing. You know, those things up. Coach Flors does a really good job there, you know, and their offense has got, like you said, a lot of weapons. You know, they got you know, outside weapons, inside weapons. They do a really good job of mixing it up. And you know the offense is a similar offense and we've faced a couple of times this year. But again they got some good wrinkles. But it'll be a big challenge for a football team.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be show game, right, Yes, absolutely, defense, because you don't know what's coming. That's gonna be interesting. Good luck this week in the prep you got it, thinks Tom. I ended on the Minnesota thing. We can pick up the baton there. But he also, you know, like you just said, prior to that, playing that interview, a lot of great things offensively with Thomas Brown. You could tell Coach was he lit up when he started talking about Thomas Brown. So a lot of praise for what Thomas did. Thomas has no nonsense. We keep hearing that. I don't know him very well. I've had a couple of conversations with him, but I just know that there's a different style to his process and his approach than what we've had. So I think it's an excellent decision and a time to move forward with it and let's see what else he's got up his sleeve.
Speaker 3: Well, I was super encouraged because hearing him at the podium last week, he kind of get a different presence, a different voice, and a different way he goes about answering questions. But then I wanted to see if that transfer to the football field, and it really did, And I was super encouraged by that. And I was surprised because I like the enthusiasm of a guy that holds everybody accountable for what's expected of them, whether you're a quarterback or a tackle, a tight end, or a wide receiver. And I think that's encouraging because when you talk about each of these guys being able to look look at each other in the eyes in the locker room because they're living up to the expectations the new offensive play caller coordinator is that is requiring from them. So I'm excited to see it in the Minnesota game. But I was super encouraged watching the transfer from podium to field.
Speaker 1: Blue crushing blue shield of Illinois right here at home, driving access toward healthier communities through it all. So let's talk about that Minnesota thing quick. We have still more to talk about about the game, but you know, I ended with the shell game and off Mikey, Hey, what did you say a shell game? You know, looks like they're bringing eight, they're bringing they're bringing four. It looks like they're bringing five there they're actually still bringing forward. So you got to dig through that. And I can't wait to hear your analysis over the course of the week on how to prepare for that, and that'll be in our Thursday podcast. I want, because you're an expert at this, how to prepare for a defense that you just have no idea when they're coming or how many they're bringing. But you know they're going to because the highest blitz rate team in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, you just have to understand your responsibility very specifically according to the protection called is number one, number two.
Speaker 4: You have to look at landmarks.
Speaker 3: Okay, you got defensive linemen that are in a stance up against the line of scrimmage. You're always responsible for all of those guys. Now look at that second level. Is there a linebacker within the heels of a defensive lineman, you're also responsible for him. If there's linebackers that are coming back from a distance, then that's a lot of time responsibility of.
Speaker 4: The uncovered lineman and the running back.
Speaker 3: So this is not something that these guys are going to say, oh my god, take a time out after play one because we're not prepared for this. No, just understand what you're hearing in the huddle and transfer that to the line of scrimmage. And then, Caleb, you got to be inconsistent with your snap count because the best thing you can do is you get those tells from the second level blitzers and they go, oh God, this guy's coming, and I know what I can tell and so all these things that are the responsibility of each and every blocker every play, It's it is doable.
Speaker 1: Seventeen total catches for DJ, Rome and Keenan. They had more third down conversions than they did the previous three weeks combined, eight to six. I look at that as positive and an arrow in the right direction. How they were deployed, you know how I like that word, and especially like DJ just get the ball in his hands. Somehow. Keenan made some great, terrific catches. Rome is uh, He's a guy that's always open because he's tall, he's crafty, he's been the body moves around, he's excellent on those back shoulders, throws outstanding, and he you know, I don't know that we've talked about Rome enough.
Speaker 4: You took the thought right out of my head.
Speaker 3: And I was thinking about that in regards to Bear's Game Day Live in some of the topics, but I went in a different direction, but I was thinking of that same thing.
Speaker 1: He's quietly putting something together here and he's definitely got chemistry with that quarterback, no question about it. Matt talked about the pass rush obviously in great that they need more. I mean that's the answer there. What are you seeing from that group, because just a few weeks ago you were quite encouraged by the rotation. Now obviously buildings is out of that mix. Now Montes dealing with some things. But what, in your opinion, has slowed them down a little bit? Is it the offenses they're playing, how they're being blocked, I mean, how they're I don't know, you tell me.
Speaker 3: So they don't have a super conce for an inside pass rusher. You don't have an Aaron Donald, you don't have a JJ Watt. You don't have a guy that you have to dedicate two interior offensive linemen, two each and every time he lines up on the inside, and then that opens one on one opportunities for the outside rushers that you have. And you know, when you look at the Bears, when you look at Jacob Green, you look at Darryl Taylor, you look at DeMarcus Walker, you look at Montese Sweat, you look at Daniel Hardy, they have a selection of outside rushers that can get to the passer.
Speaker 4: But the constant search.
Speaker 3: For a reason that you have a dominance from the outside pass rushers because you have interior concern So when you look at the development of Javani, you look at the development of Zach Pickens, you think a coward, and you think of these other guys, you need to have some interior concern because now what I'm doing is, Okay, I don't have to double team this three technique or this noseguard. So what's going to happen is I'm going to go immediately, immediately double teaming the.
Speaker 4: Best outside pass rusher they have. And a lot of times.
Speaker 3: You can make that call when you get to the line of scrimmage or you know, because of their analytical breakdown where montege lines up the most on third and whatever length they're talking about. So to me, it's always going to be about searching for that interior dominator and that's going to open up exterior opportunities.
Speaker 4: But I still wish that Daniel.
Speaker 3: Hardy and Darryl Taylor and guys would get fresh reps and continue using them in the rotation to make sure that everybody's rushing from the outside is winning. Because Jacob Martin, he was instance away from getting a sack in the game or at least becoming disruptive to the quarterback. So I like what I see out of him. He's only been around now for a couple of weeks, but I still think you need to include him in the rotation.
Speaker 1: They did get three pressures from Von dextra three for Montes Sweat. PNC is our sponsor. We're brought to you by a PNC official Bank of the Bears. All right, let's get some perspective from the players of the podium on Monday. It was Braxton Jones, always very delightful at the podium, very respectful and uh heuh some good insight self reflection as well. But it started with that that big play, the big block he threw on the toss to DeAndre Swift.
Speaker 7: To me, it is, yeah, I mean that type of feeling of just uh, you know, springing with with one of those blocks, springing him free to allow him to just make a play on the dB there and then going to the end zone. It feel feels great for me. But it's just, you know, as an old lineman, you know, that's kind of what we live for, is seeing our skill guys succeed in space and that's kind of you know, how I find my excitement obviously, and other things too as well. But yeah, it's it's amazing to see and that is my touchdown.
Speaker 4: You live, you live for the to let the skill guys do what they do. But it's got to be pretty satisfying too in itself.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, one hundred percent. I mean it is super satisfying. Obviously it's a dB, but it's still a you know, a shot to you know, make DeAndre in open space and give them time to you know, get a touchdown there. So yeah, I mean, you just it's execution of a play and then when it comes to life is the most exciting thing for me. Obviously, I feel, you know, pretty good in the open space and making space blocks like that. I feel like that's one of my strengths. So being able to do that is something I you know, I think I can do. So when it does happen, I'm not surprised or anything like that. But it is fun when you know a big block is block like that has made and then into a touchdown is even better. And you've seen Swift do it and uh you know that Commander's game as well too, So just bring and spring the guys free just brings great you know, gratitude towards me.
Speaker 8: I think we as an offense as you mentioned, to be in the gaming lines that you waighing thirty nineteen and you guys get out of it and get in a fiel Go runch. What do you guys take from that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that's I really give that. You know, obviously in those last those last few plays, kudos to you know, holding up in some type of protection for the whole line obviously. And then I mean hats off to one A. He you know, did his thing in there, got out of the pocket and made an unbelievable throw. Great job by Rome, you know, finding the pocket there and making a catch and just keeping us alive obviously. You know in those situations, you know that they're going to be coming in terms of past rush and that's how they just want to get home. So it's a great job of him, you know, being mobile in the pocket and just getting out there and making a play. And I think that's just what he's good at. And you know, I'm just excited to see more of that. And even on that fourth down as well, another great play by those two. Great connection and to keep the drive alive and give us a shot.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So the screen game was more effective yesterday, especially when it involved DJ.
Speaker 6: Why was that?
Speaker 1: What? I think? What do you think works?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I just think the details of the screen game, being able to obviously get you know, some of your old linemen and playmakers out in space, and then obviously when you put the ball in DJ's hands, something cool is going to happen. Something's gonna happen. So just being on the details, I think this week and having a little bit more juice I feel like led to better success in all types of you know, the run game, pass game, all of it being a big correlation to us just having more juice and being better in practice.
Speaker 1: Does it help having condensed formations too for the offensive lineman to kind of get out there a little bit quicker.
Speaker 7: I see it in that situation of kind of going to the boundaries and give us an opportunity to get out there. There's less space too, But I'm I mean, I you know, in terms of condensed formations, you still got to execute at the end of the day and try and get your job done. I think it's just kudos to all of them players, you know, trying to get their job done and being better in particular situations, and that's all that.
Speaker 1: Is always do you feel like Thomas provided up smart for you guys over.
Speaker 2: Help last week?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean just early in the week he came in told us, you know, we got to be on our details. It starts with us, it starts with the energy. It starts with you know, Wednesday practice, Thursday practice and into Friday and then continuing that through Saturday and letting it loose on Sunday. And that's kind of what he started with. And for me myself, that's what I did. I just you know, coming back off injury, just trying to be able to give the juice where I could, being on my details, being as good as I could. And I think every player all Elevin took took that serious and with you know that being with how he started, Thomas gave that to us and was just like, let's just be on you know, great attitude and great effort, like we can control, we can control and go out and execute what he calls. And I think that's just where we did with better juice and energy and it led to a better outcome.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So let's break down his play because he also got banged up in that game and he stuck it out and played the rest of the day. He did not leave the lineup, which is something that has been happening routinely unfortunately on the offensive line. So I give him a lot of credit for gutting it out whatever was ailing him. Obviously, he missed a game because of an injury, so he gutted things out and through some big blocks. You know.
Speaker 3: That's the one thing about Braxton is I almost think that Braxton could play guard because he's got the athleticism to pull to trap to wham to those outside polling plays that they have from the tackle position, and he's also has the ability, the bend ability to meet pad to pad on a defense back. And that's not an easy job because no matter what you're facing as an offensive lineman that's running forward, that defensive back that's in the back pedal is still a better athlete than you. And that's no insult to Brax and Jones. That's just a comment about every single offensive lineman and defensive back in the history of the NFL. But you got to be super encouraged the way he led with the physical approach to that defensive back, and I think that's why the play ended up as successfully as it was.
Speaker 1: All Right, and then Kevin Byarn on the back end really playing a lot in the box obviously with no Jakwan Brisker, so Elijah Hicks also in that. But they're they're swapping those spots. But Bayern had a big hit in this game, and some other big plays as well. Let's listen in.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, you lose by one point, you lose by twenty points. Every loss feels the same, especially when you know you have some some some good positive moments within there. But just losing sucks regardless. Never feels good. Cut on a Monday, uh, watching the field making corrections after a loss. So yeah, we just had to continue to you know, try to keep coming back to work. That's the only thing I know how to do is keep working and uh trying to find a way because I think that obviously watching out of offense and Kadler making some strides, you know, we get to stay and turned around. We continue and just keep keep getting better.
Speaker 8: Moment Fay was the fourth down stop that you guys had TJMS up with the tackle. But what was that sequence like for you guys to be able to get off the field in a huge moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean our red zone defense has been really good this year. You know, we let them down there a few too many times. This past weekend. I think we let them that five times. They scored three. So we got to be better there for sure. But yeah, I mean we all know, man, this group, this team is resilient. We're gonna fight. We're gonna defend every single blade of grass. As long as we continue to make them snap the ball, we're gonna keep defending. So we made some big plays down in the red zone. It really kind of kept us in the game a little bit. So, yeah, you know that was a big play. You know, within the game, sounds pretty defeated after yesterday's lost.
Speaker 1: His answer some questions, And do you get a sense that there are guys in the locker room that have that sense after the fourth straight loss?
Speaker 2: No, I mean I think that. You know, when you know you're asking guys questions right after you know, another loss division opponent, you know you're you're gonna feel defeated. You know what, We were defeated, you know what I mean, we lost, So yeah, it's definitely emotions tied into it. We're all trying to find answers and trying to find a way to get a win. And when you battle, it will be battled on Sunday and you don't come out with the victory. It's tough, you know what I mean. But uh, I was just talking toys in the locker room. He's not defeated. I think it's more motivated to try to figure out ways to uh make impact plays. Same here, you know what I'm saying. I think we're all trying to do more and you know, really do more and say less.
Speaker 8: Honestly, Kevin, you mentioned kill a couple of minutes ago. What are these fourth quarter moments that he rises up and beats being to the team as.
Speaker 2: A home Yeah, I mean I think he's just you know, when you get into these adverse moments as a quarterback, he's pretty much shown who he is and he's a gamer, he's a baller, and that was that was very good to see him those big moments, obviously going down thirty nineteen where you know, most people probably thought the game was over at that point, and throw some strikes out there to get us and range to kick that field goal. It was big time for him and I was just happy to see that. And I told him that didn't get how much I was proud of him of a you know, showing up big in that moment.
Speaker 1: It's an obvious you know, these losses, especially to in a span of a few weeks, on the last play of the game, they do more than sting. They they cause you a lot of pain and it can really ruin a season when you when you get right down to it. But he says, that's not happening. There's a lot of football left to be played, and we take it as growth, a growth lesson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, I love Kevin Byarn's maturity. I like his voice of reason inside the locker room. We've you know, had a great experience to sit and do one of our Thursday night radio shows with him a couple of weeks ago. And you have a chance to sit there and have conversation with a guy that gives you well thought out answers. One thing about Kevin Byer though, I think when you miss a player like Jakwan Brisker and how you use the word deployable.
Speaker 4: And you have you have number six Kyler Gordon.
Speaker 3: Yes, you have Kyler Gordon and now you have Kevin Byrd. You have two guys that are equally as deployable. And one thing about Kevin Bayerd, He's willing to get physical and you saw that on a couple of hits in the game. And so I like the creativity of the Bears defensive backfield coach when Kay, if we don't have Brisker and his way that we can deploy him, let's do the same thing with Kevin Byard, and let's do the same thing with Kyler Gordon. So you still have back end creativity on this defense.
Speaker 1: Time for our Geico brings you a more football stat of the day, Tom. I looked it up and wanted to see how backs have done against the Bears defense in the pass catching mode. Because Josh Jacobs is a good pass catcher. He did a little bit of damage against the Bears, but not what I anticipated. The Bears did a good job overall. But I didn't realize this, but last season, the Bears allowed an NFL high one thousand and three yards in catches and receptions to the running backs. That was by far the most in the NFL. They caught one hundred and seven of one hundred and twenty nine and seven touchdowns. This year, they've only allowed two hundred and ninety three yards, So that's a Obviously, seasons still got seven weeks to go, but that's a big, big difference. No touchdowns and just forty three of fifty one. Is there any reason in your mind for this?
Speaker 3: Yes, So we talk about youa Kwon Brisker, We talk about Kyler Gordon.
Speaker 4: We talk about when Montes Sweat came aboard.
Speaker 3: Now you have to leave backs in the backfield because of the deployable assets they have from the defensive backfield that are blitzers and rushers, and you have a help that you have to have concentrate on Montese sweat. So now you got a chipper instead of just a free release. So when I remember talking about that last year and how it was plaguing the Bears defensively, is how many passes the running backs were catching. And then when you have a shift in maneuverable defensive pieces, now the running back has to stay in. He's got a little bit longer before he can release into that type of route. So you're just not getting them out of the offensive backfield very much because they have responsibilities from linebacker to defensive backs to Montes.
Speaker 1: The reason I bring it up is what's coming. So Aaron Jones, we know he's an excellent receiver. He could play wide receiver. He's like a Matt Forte in my opinion. So I agree, that's one. Then you got to deal with Christian McCaffrey. That's two. Then you gotta go deal excuse me, Detroit, you got to deal with both of those guys. Yeah, as pass catchers. And you know so I'm just bracing for that because I clearly they're they're doing it better, and that's a great illustration by you. Good news Chicago United Airlines is getting brand new planes with all the bells and whistles, like Bluetooth connectivity screens at every seat in room for everyone's roller bag. United proud to fly the Chicago Bears and you too. Before we take a look at the Vikings. The devin Hester experience yesterday, it was exhilarating for me. I know it had to be the same way for you with Steve McMichael going up there and we were I think both up there for Jimbo Covert he was given his Hall of Fame ring. I just and I made this point on the air because a lot of people have texted me from inside the building and friends otherwise that were at the game, and they're like, man, that was a cool moment. I go. Not not from your perspective, from my perspective. It blew my mind because I'm staring up at a full house and the crowd was reacting to things I said about Devon, and it was just it was really something. I understand how you guys would roll through that tun or tunnel then and be greeted by a full house in your own building, and how that must have jacked you guys up, Like there's no way I was so hyper for the third quarter then calling the game. It just to me because I've always said, whether it be an entertainer on stage, a comedian or a musician or any athlete that gets to play in front of a full house, there can't be anything like it.
Speaker 3: Well, actually, it left me with a little bit of anxiety because I was more worried about you not getting back to the booth before they kicked off on the second half, and I didn't want to have to do anything to do with play by play when you showed back up and then I was able to relax.
Speaker 4: But I always had admired Devin.
Speaker 3: Hester the post fair player, because you like to see what some of these guys grow into and develop into. Like Roosevelt Colvin when we had him on the podcast, What an incredible guy after the success he's out on the football field. And I feel the same for Devin Hester. So I'm glad that the fans got to be rewarded with him getting his Hall of Fame ring, standing up there in his Hall of Fame jacket with his teammates in a fan base that is so appreciative of accomplishments of the Bears.
Speaker 1: Yep, it sure is. And I wish and I know they didn't because they were in the locker room. I wish the players would see what happens when you do great things in Chicago. The fans are going to love you forever, and they don't get that opportunity to see it live. Like I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I agree one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: It's just like, you know, someone was asking me about excitement of seeing Tom Brady, and you know, listen, Tom Brady was at the game. But I was sitting with Charles Tillman on the sideline during our TV show and Charles said, hey, give me a second. I want to go out and say hi to Tom Brady. So, whether it's ten years after the fact or whatever the case is, you are excited about seeing that person. And so the fans there getting a chance, a lot of them may be seeing Devin Hester in person for the first time. I think it's a cool response that they gave him, and there's a lot of respect that Devin was witnessed too.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk Vikings. They've only given up thirty three points in the last three games, after giving up thirty one at Detroit and thirty at the Rams. Anything you can connect dots on aside from who they're playing. They did play Tennessee yesterday. They put plenty of pressure on on Will Levis sacked them five times, pressured him seven times on top of that. So they were this van Ginkel who he was with my he was drafted by that coach in Miami and so certainly knows how to use him. He's up to eight sacks now, doing a lot of great. They're going to set a team record for sex and a season the way they're going, So, well, what are you bracing for?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm I'm going to put the onus on Minnesota. I'm not going to come in there with a conservative game plan where I have nine blockers and I'm sending out two receivers and trying to overprotect. I'm going to make them overcover. I'm going to take guys that I think are a little bit beyond their age responsibilities of football and say, okay, can you cover Keenan, Can you cover Rome?
Speaker 4: Can you cover Cole? Can you cover you know who?
Speaker 3: Every one of these guys, DJ, And So I'm going to go out there because it's a home game and I'm in command of the cadence, and I can use a little bit of deception at the line of scrimmage and try to get you guys out of position and take advantage of it. So, if anybody is out there watching the replays of the big plays, you take the two screens to DJ Moore. You look at the ball fake by Caleb to DeAndre Swift, and go look at the personnel out of position from the Green Bay Packers. The first one there was four guys out of position. The second one there's two guys chasing the wrong way in an instant of hesitation by both linebackers. Jeff, you got to be able to use those things. You got to make sure that those guys are thinking after the ball is snapped, create that hesitation and then get the easy completion. I'm not looking for fifty yard completions. I'm looking for a third and four. That's my goal in this game.
Speaker 1: People are throwing on them despite that. I mean, they have given up the fifth most receiving yards in the NFL this season, so there are going to be plays there to be made. I agree plays there.
Speaker 4: To be made.
Speaker 1: So yeah, eighteen forty four yards with a very high completion percentage and eleven touchdowns given up in the passing game. So yeah, how about Sam Darnold. I know this is a great story, and I know you're happy for him because it hasn't worked out. Don't want to be happy about him on Sunday, as you like to say. I'm a Bears fan. But what's his what's his secret right now?
Speaker 3: O'connald? Yeah, well, I do think that. I think what I do. I think the coaches asked him to ignore his past. Come in here as an NFL caliber quarterback, learn our system, and we will give you the encouragement and the corrections that you need. In order to play the position, and then there was no pressure on him when he got here because they drafted JJ McCarthy. All the quarterback pressure was on McCarthy, and so Sam Donald had the luxury of going back. I'm probably going to be in a backup position. I have the luxury of time to learn this system, and then if I need to go in the game, I'll go in the game. And then all of a sudden, JJ McCarthy gets hurt. It's Sam Donald's game, and he never panicked. And so I, like I said, I'm happy for him as a human because if you ever go back and listen to some of the criticism that he's faced, either walking in and out of the locker room or through tunnels, it's kind of discouraging to see the way some people have treated him. I'm not for him on Sunday, but in terms of the human being on forums.
Speaker 1: Reminds me a little bit of Geno Smith. You know how he got his career turned around here in the last couple of years by Seattle. It reminds me way back the way back when Jim Plunkett became the quarterback of the Raiders. He goes and win a Super Bowl. Never count out a quarterback. That's what I'm learning.
Speaker 3: Drafted by New England, the Heisman Trophy gets booted out of there gets you know put You know Jim Pluckett.
Speaker 4: Both of his mom and dad were blind.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you've brought that up before, too. Incredible, It is incredible. Hey, Bears.
Speaker 3: We used to have We used to have a offensive tackle, Caesar Rene, who was a great kid out of Oklahoma. Both of his mom and dad were deaf, and so he used a lot of sign language and just kind of lived life on a different tone than the rest of us.
Speaker 1: Bears Fan Steinhoffels is a proud partner of the Chicago Bears. This Bear season, Steinhoffels is partnering with Special Spaces Illinois to create dream bedrooms for children battling cancer. For every false start caused by the Bears defense during a home game, Steinhoffles donates one thousand dollars to Special Spaces Illinois shop in store and online at Steinhoeffels dot com. Tom Any for the thoughts before we wrap things up. Gonna have to protect the football and protect the quarterback on Sunday.
Speaker 3: That's show up with your don't show up with your tail. Between your legs. You come out there and you say, listen, this is our house. We belong in this football field. We're improving at this stage of the season. And go out there and have the same intentions in the game plan that you put together for these guys that you have and you've always envisioned that you had that responsibility, and go out there and perform.
Speaker 1: Here's a crazy step to wrap us up. Courtesy Doug Colletti, our statistician and director of research. Second team since nineteen thirty nine to lose four straight games with one total turnover in those games. The Bears have just one turnover in those four games. The last team to do it prior to the Bears since nineteen thirty nine in the two thousand and eight Kansas City Chiefs. So that's some rare stuff when you're turnover free. In fact, the Bears have the longest streak of turnover free games by a Bears team since nineteen seventy nine. Three in a row. Needs a job, Yes he does.
Speaker 3: He's gotta get a job. He's got way too much time to look at numbers.
Speaker 1: Kaletti's on the Case special thanks to Bears head coach Matt Eberflus for Tom There, I'm Jeff Joniyak. Thanks for listening. Everyone, Please subscribe now in the Chicago Bears official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcasts. Spare down everybody
Speaker 7: As first