Speaker 1: Dream Sequence is a production of iHeart Podcasts, Blumhouse Television, and Realm.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm such a bummer. Don't apologize. Life's hard and it's healthy to talk about it. People just think about their day and pretend everything's okay. So then you start wondering if maybe you're the only ones struggling and bumbling your way through life. But no one gets buried without scars. You know, I'm really glad you're here. Okay, same, are you anna optimist or a pessimist?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Do you think life's pain and grief with good shit in between? Or is life good shit with pain and grief in between?
Speaker 1: I think we'd all be happier dad, for.
Speaker 2: The most part, Is that really what you think? Yeah? It is. What's with the knife? It's for your throat? Oh seriously, it's not a joke. Here, take it for what, Josie, take the knife, put the bleed to your throat. Saw back and forth until you say, for the artery? Why is that so hard? Okay, you're scaring me. I'll do it for you.
Speaker 1: Then wait, it's.
Speaker 2: I just want you to be happy. Well that was something, huh, I thought you'd want to hear it. I know it's just a dream, but I'm still kind of offended. I thought we were becoming friends.
Speaker 4: I think you've become a symbol for her skepticism and fear of our treatment.
Speaker 2: But I'm the only one here who is involved in her treatment.
Speaker 4: That's true. But of course dreams aren't always logical that way.
Speaker 2: When you're analyzing a dream, are you operating from some kind of cheat sheet, like, Oh, a window open, but it let in a flood of swamp water. Windows mean opportunity in swamp water means you're screwed.
Speaker 4: That was the prevailing wisdom once, yes, but now it seems we know even less than we thought we did. How so, and worried anything I say today will be disproven in the future.
Speaker 2: In the future, someone will see further by standing on your shoulders, you're the giant. Very kind way to put it, that kind honest, Okay.
Speaker 4: At their core, dreams tend to be very primal. I'm afraid of that, I want to have sex with her. I'm jealous of him. The mind then constructs lose narratives around these basic emotions. Some are more literal, some are more avant garde. Let me show you an example, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Why do you want me to die? Please? Please?
Speaker 4: Please? Yeah, if you boil it down. My working hypothesis is that to cure a parasomnia, you need to observe the primal emotion and its fear catalyst, and then reconcile them. I haven't been successful yet, but I'm hoping Josie will be the first.
Speaker 2: How would this reconciliation work in Josie's case?
Speaker 4: Well, if I only listen to her dreams, i'd say she has a fear of fire. But in our sessions, what is your relationship with her?
Speaker 2: We went out a few times, didn't work out. What kind of question is that?
Speaker 4: I apologize for the phrasing? Sometimes my sweetest doesn't translate well? I ask, because from your dream journal, fire appears to be a recurring element. Are there any unpleasant memories you have centered around fire?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Are you not being fully truthful Josie? She has denied it. I'm not sure why?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: When I talked to her, she didn't say she'd fear fire, but she did tell me she used to live in Wakeham Tower. What are you looking at me like that?
Speaker 3: You know how? Sometimes there's a word and you think you know what it means, then you experience something and you're like, Oh, that's what that word means. That's what it was like when I heard the static?
Speaker 2: What was the lord this time? Despair? How long did you listened to the static while you were trying to fix the mayor not eighteen hours? What do you think the static was?
Speaker 5: I think it's more or less exactly what you said, subliminal messaging to make you afraid.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense coming from a person's dream?
Speaker 5: I think there are ways to make it make sense.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about manifold?
Speaker 5: What's manifold?
Speaker 2: That's what Josie calls the dark figure that ruined her life and that you've been finding in everyone's dreams.
Speaker 5: Huh, manifold?
Speaker 2: That works? What exactly is your theory?
Speaker 5: I don't have a theory.
Speaker 2: I know you have a theory.
Speaker 5: Well, I take the word theory very seriously. What I have is a hypothesis.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you are so annoying. Just tell me what you're thinking.
Speaker 5: Our subjects are all very different people, color, creed, age, gender, and they're from all over the country. They've all dreamt of manifold, but don't a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people dream about shadowy creatures. I mean, it's not unique, is it.
Speaker 5: If you heard my voice in seven different audio tracks, wouldn't you assume that I was present for each recording. You can recognize my voice and assume it's me. I mean, yes, the Manifold growl is present in all seven subjects dreams. When you overlay the sound waves, they're a perfect match. It's not just a similar creature, it's the same creature. That's the premise.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm with you so far.
Speaker 5: Working from that, you might say, maybe they saw the same movie as children and it imprinted on their brains. That's not it. The subject's age ranges from eighteen to eighty. Maybe Manifold was subconsciously planted in their heads by some creepy art on the Sleep Center's walls that they all saw. Now, that's not it either. They've been dreaming about this figure for years, some even decades. You can go back and listen to Craig Ingram and Eliza Mason, Helen Pizzetti. They all said the same thing. And when you've eliminated the impossible, whatever remains is the truth. There's something, in some sense alive in our dreams.
Speaker 2: A sleep demon. Demons aren't real sleep ghost. It's an organism, okay, but not like an organism. Organism, Well, think about it. There are organisms that survive in hydrothermal events on the ocean floor. There are organisms that survive in subduction zones in two hundred and twenty degree heat. There are organisms that survive in the vacuum of one hundred years ago, scientists would have said that was impossible, and those are just carbon based life forms from our planet. All I'm saying is that organisms thrive in the most extreme and unlikely environments, So why not the human mind? So what does that make the static.
Speaker 5: A defense mechanism against interlopers in its natural habitat you sound insane? Imagine explaining the autom bomb to a caveman.
Speaker 2: Did you just compare me to a caveman?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Yes, hey, diego, is now a good time?
Speaker 7: You have two minutes? Really, they'll make a thing of it, or this is over.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you took me by.
Speaker 7: Surprise one hundred seconds.
Speaker 2: Okay, how'd you end up here?
Speaker 7: I was eighteen and my nephew was having nighttiares, So I researched and found this place. I found a link on one of the pages that led to a bunch of nonsense. I thought it was a bug at first, but it was a test.
Speaker 2: Now I'm here, I can see why she likes you. You are her people.
Speaker 7: How would you define her people?
Speaker 2: Goal oriented tunnel vision? Is that all a lack of empathy? An emotional voyd.
Speaker 7: I don't care to get to know you better. I don't care for you to get to know me better. I've participated because I understand their sacrifices you have to make in this life to keep the peace.
Speaker 2: You're going to find this annoying, but I find that sweet. Thanks for keeping the peace with me.
Speaker 7: I didn't do it for you, for my sister, then it's for neither of you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you have a crush on Morgan. I do not, and you just confided that in me.
Speaker 7: I did not.
Speaker 2: I know you think I'm dumb, but there's only five people who work here, and if it's not for me or Sadie, it can only be the doc or Morgan.
Speaker 7: I had rock bottom expectations for how this would go, and it's so much worse than.
Speaker 2: I thought it would be, and it's so much better than I thought it would be. Secrets make friends. So we're kind of friends.
Speaker 7: Now, No, we're not. I've answered your question and now this is over.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your time. Buddy, we're not buddies, you sure, because I only keep secrets for my buddies.
Speaker 6: We'll work on it, as you can see behind me right now, wakem.
Speaker 2: Power is in claims.
Speaker 6: The fire started approximately three hours ago at six thirty am. About half of the six hundred tenants have been accounted for thus far. It's a horrific scene. You can feel the heat even where I'm standing forty feet away. The firefighters are doing their best to control the blaze. The surrounding buildings have been evacuated. A firefighter just ran out of the building with a young girl her conditioners on here.
Speaker 2: Joy shit deposit, that's her. That has to be her cut on the cheek matches her scar. She didn't miss a fire by a day. She was in the fucking building. I mean she lied to both of us.
Speaker 4: Why I don't think she was lying?
Speaker 2: Not exactly. Man, this is heavy. I wonder everyone's so stressed out all the time. What happens next?
Speaker 4: She has to face the fire? What do you mean she has to watch the YouTube video?
Speaker 5: Is this a gimmick?
Speaker 2: Is what a gimmick?
Speaker 5: Your frozen chicken nugget and fries meal that you have almost every night? Is it beneficial to your brand or something to eat like a five year old?
Speaker 2: Is your drinking a gimmick? I think it's cool to walk around with a coffee mug full of Scotch.
Speaker 5: If you maintain the right level of inebriation, it improves cognitive function. It's called the Balmer peak. It's proven signs, just like how eating nuggets and fries every day will kill you before you're fifty. You know what. I'm sorry I brought it up. I care about you, that's all. But I apologize all good. Andrews tells me you helped to make a breakthrough with Josie, and that's generous and you're very valuable here. I'm proud of you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I have a confession to make. Really, when I called you a few weeks ago, it wasn't a sleep dial. I know I was drunk, listening Tonightmares.
Speaker 2: Humble down the Balmer peak, huh.
Speaker 5: I didn't have the courage to contact you sober even when you called me out, and I couldn't admit the truth that it was a decision. Since you've been here, I've been happier, and I wanted you to know that.
Speaker 2: You were unfucking believable. You know that what I mean. When we were growing up, it was like you were this once in a generation genius and I was just your dumb sister. But I loved you so much and I've missed you so much. And since i've been here, we'll have these moments where I forget why I haven't talked to you in seven years, and it's just like it used to be. And then and then I remember what you did.
Speaker 5: You abandoned me, you know.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 5: Instead of grieving with me, you threatened me and cut me out of your life. You didn't die, but I still lost everyone that night.
Speaker 2: You're mad at me. You drugged and killed our parents, You fucking psycho bitch.
Speaker 7: Are you too all right?
Speaker 2: It wasn't us. Came from Josie's room. Josie, are you okay? I know what Manifold is.
Speaker 1: You're listening to dream Sequence written and created by Andrew Martin Robinson, directed by Dave Beasley and John Brooks. Executive producers are Molly Barton, John Brooks, Dave Beasley, and Marcy Wiseman for realm Alex Williams, Matt Frederick and Trevor Young for iHeart Podcasts, Chris Dicky and Noah Feinberg for Blumhouse Television, starring Jesse Case and Alice Kremelberg, with performances by Shalini, Bethina Einer, Gunn, Nick Osborne, Winifred, Anne Concannon, Tara Brown, Emily Barry, Linnelle Scott, Shannon McClung, Dave Huber, Hugo Armstrong, Cooper, Tomilson, Joel Haberley, Simaj Miller, Dean Simone, and Brian Finney. Additional voices by Patrick Higney, Fred Greenhalge, John Brooks, Christina Teleska, and Kaylan West. Casting by Sunday Bowling, Kennedy CSA and Meg Mormon CSA. Producers for realm are Fred Greenholge, Marcus Thorne, Bagala and Rhoda Bayessa. Associate producer Michael Colter, Production manager Devin Shepherd, Production coordinator Angela Yee. Dialogue editing by Corey Barton, Sound designed by Rory O'sha and Dan Powell. Final mixed by Kaylan West. Original score composed by Marcus Thorne. Begala Songs for Josie by Kaylan West, recorded at Real Voice Los Angeles and Citybox, New York City. This podcast was recorded under a SAG after collective bargaining agreement. Dream Sequence is a production of iHeart Podcasts, Blumhouse Television, and Realm. Find more great podcasts by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite show.