Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Law with June Brusso from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: The Federal Judiciary is considering whether there should be more guidance for judges about hiring law clerks after two judges hired a clerk who was reported to have sent racist texts, and that clerk then went on to get a clerkship with Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas joining me is an expert in legal ethics. Arthur Hellman, a professor at the University of Pittsburgh Law School. So House Democrats in twenty twenty one had filed a complaint against Chief Judge William Pryor of the Eleventh Circuit and District Judge Corey Mays of the Northern District of Alabama into the hiring of this clerk. Tell us about the controversy and what ended up happening well.
Speaker 1: The controversy centers around the investigations that judges Prior and May's the circuit judge and the district judge carried out with respect to this individual. Because I understand it, the question is whether they adequately vetted her before hiring her. And the chief Judge of the second Circuit, to which the proceeding was transferred, found that they did all they were required to and dismissed the complaint, and the Judicial Council of the Circuit affirmed that dismiss So the proceeding was completed, but the Committee of the Judicial Conference of the United States what it should be reopened, and that's what gave rise to one of the requests at the March meeting of the Judicial Conference to look into that review process. So we have two separate issues here, one that involves the Committee on Codes of Conduct and the other that involves the Committee on Judicial Conduct and Disability.
Speaker 2: How much investigation of clerks should judges be doing well?
Speaker 1: I think that's one of the issues that the Committee on Codes of Conduct will be looking into. What is due diligence in this respect and what are the ethical obligations of a federal judge. It's important to emphasize that the Committee on Codes of Conduct is tasked with interpreting and giving guidance based on the Code of Conduct. It is not otherwise in the business of telling judges how to run their chambers or here the two overlap a little bit, But for example, is it enough that the judge asks the clerk Is there anything you've done in the past that would embarrass you or me if it came out now, or should the judge carry out is it her own investigation? Now? I don't do much social media myself, so I'm not really the person to talk about that in detail. But my sense is that a thorough background investigation of that time will be very time consuming and laborious, and I'm not sure a judge should be expected to do that. A judge should be able to ask the law clerk if there is any such material in the works past, and take the clerk's word about that. But the Committee on Codes of Conduct might decide that something something more than that is required. But their task at this point is to consider the process by which judges hire their law clerks, law clerks who may have something in their past that cast doubt on the fitness of the clerk presence service as a law clerk to a federal judge.
Speaker 2: How long might this process take?
Speaker 1: That I think is one of the issues that the committee will have to consider. I mean, this is not the major thing that a judge does. I mean, it's a very important part of the judges work. But the judges nominated and confirmed to decide cases. So every minute that is taken away from those tasks, the judges not doing what or she was nominated and confirmed to do so. Figuring out how thorough the investigation should be and whether there are any particular things a judge should do in checking on a law clerk is one of the questions that the Committee and Codes of Conduct will now be looking into.
Speaker 2: They also wanted to get your position on the conservative federal judges who announced they were going to boycott and clerks from particular law schools where there were demonstrations and disruptions on campuses. These are law schools that would be considered liberal. So just eliminating a whole block of students because of what happened on their campuses.
Speaker 1: Well, that raises some related but distinct and very interesting and important issues. Actually, I think our key to this is why the federal judges are taking that possession. For example, a judge might say, if a student has gotten his or her legal education at a law school that discourages dissent and allows raucous intrusions on presentation of unpopular views, that environment diminishes the quality of the education that the student gets. Because an important part of legal education, important part of legal reasoning is listening to other views and processing them and responding to them in a professional way. So a judge might think the person in his chambers should be somebody who's gotten a legal education that is not tainted in that way. And you know, maybe we should back up a minute, because it really relates to both of these topics very were Judges today have very very heavy workloads, and they're very heavily dependent on their law clerks. So it's important that these clerks have gotten the best possible training. So as I say, if the judge believes that some of the practices at a particular law school diminish the quality of the training, I think that would be a legitimate job related reason for not hiring students from that law school, even though it is in a sense to the students. Although you know, if you look at it more broadly, you talk about boycotts. No, there are many judges who are their law clerks only from let's say top fourteen or top twenty, whatever it is law schools. Are they boycotting the other one hundred and eighty? I don't think we would ordinarily say that, would say that the judges decided, rightly or wrongly, that the most effective way of finding good law clerks is to stick with a small number of elite law schools where they know some faculty and can rely on recommendations. So if the reason is related to the carrying out of the judge's adjudicated responsibilities, I'm not sure I see a problem in them.
Speaker 2: Choosing law clerks from the best law schools because you think that they'll be the best clerks. Seems different to me than not choosing students from top schools like Stanford and Yale because some conservative speakers face blowbacks on campus.
Speaker 1: It may be problematic if the judges are doing this to change the culture in the law schools. I say, maybe, because judges are allowed to write and speak out on the improvement in the legal profession, and maybe it's part of that, or a small step further to say that judges can hire their law clerks in a way that they believe will improve the culture at law schools. But that's a very different kind of motivation or purpose, and that when I think, would be more controversial. As I say, I think you can make a case that that is legitimate within the code of conduct. But other people might say that it looks like using the judge's position to advance the judge's personal interests, which is one of the things that the code explicitly prohibits. So it's a question of how you view that. Is it a way of improving the legal profession, which is something the judge is explicitly allowed to do under the code, or is it advancing a personal interest, which is something the judge is explicitly prohibited from going.
Speaker 2: I'll just note these conservative judges were Trump appointees. Did they face any consequences because of this?
Speaker 1: I think possibly a complaint has been filed a while that I'm pretty sure no order has been issued. Certainly there have been criticisms from other judges about the so called boycott. The grounds have been along the lines that I suggested that the judges are using their position to change the culture at law schools, and that's a misuse of the judicial position, that judges should be concerned in their hiring only with getting the people for their chambers.
Speaker 2: Let's turn out of the resignation last week of a judge in Alaska over allegations of sexual misconduct. A federal judge in Alaska Joshua Kindred resigned and could face impeachment after an investigation found that he had an inappropriate sexual relationship with a female law clerk, and that he created a hostile work environment and appeared to have no filter in his discussions with clerks, discussing his romantic preferences, his sex life, his divorce, the law clerk's boyfriends and dating lives, on and on. The investigation by the judiciary into the Trump appointee resulted in a one hundred and five page report with more than one thousand pages of exhibits, including seven hundred pages of text messages between the judge and his clerks. The inquiry could lead to the reopening of multiple criminal cases that came before Kendrick during his more than four years on the bench. I've been talking to legal ethics expert Arthur Hellman, a professor at the University of Pittsburgh Law School. So there was this outrageous conduct, but it took almost two years after the chief Judge learned about it for the judiciary to complete its investigation. And in those two years there were criminal cases that came before Kindred, And now these findings could lead to the reopening of many of those cases.
Speaker 1: And others well, it is somewhat caauseling because the evidence has presented in the Judicial Council report is so strong. You would think it would not have taken almost two years to find all that evidence and to come to a conclusion that this individual was unfit to serve as a federally the conclusion they reached when they referred the matter to Judicial Conference at the United States for a consideration of possible recommendation to Congress for consideration of impeachment, that is a little hard to understand. What maybe is that the people they talk to were initially reluctant to speak out, and if that's so, it really raises some very troubling issues because, as you know, it was it five or six years ago now, the Judiciary completely revamped its procedures regarding the workplace in the wake of the accusations against pulling the judge Alex Kozinski, and I have to say I thought they had done a pretty good job and that they were really trying to create, as Chief Justice Roberts put it, an exemplary workplace in every judicial chamber, and particularly in the Ninth Circuit, which has been a leader in this as in so many other administrative aspects of the federal judicial that this took that long to get resolved is very troubling, and I think it does call lass for another look at how the judiciary is handling this very important aspect of the administration of the federal courts.
Speaker 2: The repercussions from this are going to be enormous. Federal prosecutors in Alaska have identified nearly two dozen criminal cases with potentially undisclosed conflicts of interest involving former Judge Kindred and the attorneys who worked on the cases before him. Three of those are in the US Attorney's office.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not an expert on federal criminal prosecutions, but what I will say is that that aspect of this particular case underscores the point you made initially that there was a particular reason here for proceeding with some swiftness, giving all due process to the judge. But there were some particular reasons here why the matter should have been resolved as quickly as possible so that these repercussions would be minimized.
Speaker 2: The judge did recuse himself in some cases. How is it determined whether there was a conflict of interest?
Speaker 1: Well, what the statute says is apart from some specific circumstances where a judge must recuse, for example, where the judge has a financial interest in the outcome of the case, the more general provision says that a judge must accuse if a reasonable person would doubt the judge's impartiality, and judicial interpretations of that statute set from four fifty five have said that you look at that question from the standpoint of a re reasonable person outside the court, but informed of all the circumstances. So those are the elements of the test. It's an objective test. Again, it's a reasonable person, but not a person within the judiciary, because the courts have said that people within the judiciary may be too inclined to discount the possibility that the judge would look partial or biased. So you look at the reasonable person outside the judiciary. But at the same time, the reasonable person is fully informed of the circumstances, and so the judge has to put himself or herself in the position of that reasonable person.
Speaker 2: Can you think of another case where there was misconduct like this by a judge and criminal cases got thrown out or retried.
Speaker 1: No, nothing comes to mind. I mean, you do have a somewhat parallel situation with the bankruptcy judge in Texas, don't you where they are in the process of upsetting I think, or at least questioning some of the decisions made by the bankruptcy judge who was in a romantic relationship with a bankruptcy lawyer. So I think that is comparable. You mentioned the repercussions going forward. I think one of the most interesting questions and important questions about the Alaska judge is how did a person get to be a federal judge. I mean, this is a young guy, and this kind of behavior seems to me not the sort of thing that suddenly happens that a person suddenly engages in, and you would think that there would be some evidence of this in his career and his behavior as a lawyer. Now, as you know, before somebody is appointed to the federal bench, there's a very intense investigation. As it's more than one. There's the FBI, there's the White House, there's the ABA. The FBI in particular is very thorough. For example, I've gotten calls about people who worked for me briefly thirty years earlier because the nominee is required to list every person he or she has ever worked for. So how did Joshua Kindred get through that process where there are no warning signals in any of the conversations that FBI agents or the ABA committee members had members of the Alaska legal community that would have alerted them to the very real possibility, which turned out to be the reality that this that you or just did not have the temperament to be a federal judge. Now, by the way, you had a similar failing twenty five years ago with Judge Fortius, who was impeached and convicted for actual bribery and other criminal activity that he had engaged in for many years in Louisiana and which has to have been known by many of the people in Louisiana legal community. That was another failure in my view, the vetting process, as far as I know, nobody has ever looked into or written about. But I think there's a serious concern here that the vetting process at the nomination slash confirmation, and it's really a nomination, you don't expect the Senate Judiciary Committee to carry out the kind of in depth investigation that the FBI, with all of its resources can do or that the a BA can do with its members in every state and every legal community. Those two organizations have the resources to carry out in depth investigations, and we really have to depend on them. In a likelihood they missed this. You know, it's possible that you know, that he had a complete personality change on the belt, and there's some suggestion that the isolation in the COVID lockdowns had some influence. But you know, isolation doesn't turn a man into this, this course speaking individual who harasses women in the way he did. You know, even to read about his behavior, it's an embarrassment, and behavior of that extreme, it seems to me doesn't start overnight or when a man takes the oath as a federal judge. To have been some signals in his earlier behavior that should have been called. So I would hope that one of the consequences of this very sad and unfortunate proceeding is that there will be a look not only at the procedures within the federal judiciary we haven't talked about, but within the executive branch and the vetting of judicial nominees.
Speaker 2: Considering all the information out there about hostile work environments and the legal case is over. It it's almost hard to believe that this judge didn't recognize what he was doing.
Speaker 1: Going back to our prior discussion of the Ninth Circuit and the Federal Judiciary putting new procedures in place, is that it may be that the panoply of procedures is possibly part of the problem now because one of the things I think that is absolutely essential is that there'd be one person who is responsible. You know, if everybody is responsible, then nobody is responsible. And here it's the Chief Judge. And I don't know if the Chief Judge addedly conveyed the message that if federal judge is misbehaving, I want to know about it. I will take action and I will make sure there's no retaliation.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for coming on the show, Arthur as Professor Arthur Hellman of the University of Pittsburgh Law School coming up next on The Bloomberg Law Show. Articles of impeachment have been filed against Justice Clarence Thomas and Justice Samuel Alito. You're sure to fail, So what are the repercussions. I'm June Grosso. When you're listening to Bloomberg, New York Representative Alexandria Zeo Cortes has filed articles of impeachment against Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito for what she said was their failure to report gifts and refusal to recuse from cases in which they were conflicted. Progressives and others have criticized both justices over reports they accepted vacations from wealthy people and failed to recuse from cases despite conflicts they said were created by their spouses. The success of either resolution against arguably the Court's two most conservative justices is unlikely given the Republican control of the House. The New York Democrat and Maryland Democratic Representative Jamie Raskin wrote to Chief Justice John Roberts on June twentieth, urging him to investigate Thomas and Alito. Democratic senators have sent similar requests to the Chief Justice. Of course, the Chief has taken no action. Joining me is an expert in impeachment. Frank Bowman, a professor at the University of Missouri Law School, so tell us about the articles against Thomas well.
Speaker 3: There are three articles that have been filed by Representative Ocasio Cortes and some of her colleagues, Essentially they allege that Justice Thomas really improperly refused to recuse himself from a variety of matters based on three things. The first article has to do with his receipt of gifts from Harlan Crow and other folks broadly associated with the American Enterprise Institute and other conservative entities, the argument there being that these entities at least file Amiekus briefs in matters that appeared before the court, even if they're not parties, and thus they have an ongoing interest in the outcome of cases in the court. The second article has to do with Missus Thomas's professional activity. She has, over the years had various consulting arrangements or consulting entities which are through interwoven in the conservative legal political movement, and various folks in that constellation of people and enterprises and think tanks and so forth have funneled money to Jenny Thomas through her entities, And here too, the argument is that Thomas should have refused himself in any matters in which any of the various entities that have funneled money to his wife might have filed a brief more habit some sort of interest, and the third one is the one which probably has the most bite to me, and that's one in which the argument is that Justice Thomas should have recused himself essentially in all the cases that had anything to do with Trump's effort to overturn the twenty twenty election results, because his wife was involved in the Trump coup attempt. Now, the degree of her involvement is a little bit unclear, but she certainly was actively advising various people in clinical staff and others about how to proceed during Trump's effort to overturn the election between November twenty twenty and January twenty twenty one. And the argument there is, you know, your wife, Justice Thomas, is actually, you know, directly involved, albeit not at the center, but directly involved in this effect conspiracy to overturn an election, And you have no business ruling on the merits of any cases involving in involving that coup, whether they involve Trump, whether they involve neither other people were charged, or just the general issues that are raised by that coup attempt, because there's certainly a reasonable inference to be drawn that you're not impartial in these cases because a your wife was directly involved in this she was potentially at least a witness, indeed was a witness in front of the January sixth committee. Arguably she could have been a defendant. She has not been charged, of course, but she was certainly potentially a defendant in any case charging a criminal conspiracy arising from January sixth in its antecedents. So those are the three arguments against Thomas. I think the first two are at least undeveloped. The third one is a stronger case for recusal certainly, and thus maybe as fractionally stronger case for impeachment.
Speaker 2: By contrast, the allegations against Justice Samuel Alito are shorter.
Speaker 3: Explain those well, I mean, I think they're really really released in both actually and on a constitutional basis. I mean, in essence, they arise out of the flag controversy. In essence, the argument is, well, Alito or somebody and his family flew an upside down US flag and the appeal to Heaven revolutionary flag, which are in some circles associated with Trump, or the effort to overturn the twenty twenty election. That, by extension is said to indicate that Lee to himself had some sympathy with the effort to overturn the election, and therefore you have to refuse himself and so forth and so on. And the two problems with that, I mean, one is that the facts as to who flew what flags, when, and you know why, are extremely unclear, and you don't go around impeaching people on webs of supposition like that. And the second issue is a more difficult constitutional one. We've only impeached one Supreme Court justice in our history, and he was acquitted of Samuel Chase in eighteen oh four eighteen oh five. And Chase was essentially an impeached for being a vocal Federalist and therefore an opponent of Thomas Jefferson's Republicans, and of saying and doing some things on the bench that suggested he had a very strong affinity for the Federalists. And he was essentially impeached for statements that he made from some rulings he made in some cases, but the real argument was that he was an ardent federalist and was letting that effect are his rulings, his statements, and he was acquitted by the Senate. And we've generally thought the meaning of that acquittal was that Supreme court justes and other judges should not be impeached for their opinions. Now, they certainly could be impeached if they were overtly basing their rulings on partisan political affinity, and there was they ruled for Republicans because their Republicans are against Democrats, because of Democrats. But there was no proof that that was true in just Jase's case, and the Senate finally concluded not going tompeach people just because, you know, of the other party were appointed by the other party. Indeed, there were arguments in that impeachment. One Center basically stood up and said, no, we we think and this is a Remember this is very early in the Republic, not quite twenty years after the Constitution has been ratified, and weren't quite sure how we were going to treat impeachments. But the congressman stands up and says, no, we think that impeachment is to be used for precisely this purpose. You know, you people have bad opinions, and we're going to get rid of you to put in your place. This is Jason, others like you, people who have good opinions. And that view was essentially rejected, and ever since we just don't have impeached justices for their opinions. Coming back to Justice Alido, you know, has he perhaps behaved intemperately at times? You bet, in my view, But you know, has he in any provable way acted? Can we prove that he ruled in a particular case based on his partisan political affinity rather than you know, he's genuinely held jurisprudential convictions? Well, I don't think so. And so I think the article against him is both factually weak because it's based on disputed facts, and I think it's constitutionally extremely extremely thin, if not non existent.
Speaker 2: So, with a Republican majority in the House, this impeachment effort, I mean, there's no chance that will even be voted on, let alone pass. So what's the point of doing this?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think this is this is a purely performative exercise, right because not only is the Republican House not going to impeach either Thomas or Alito, they're not even going to investigate the allegation. Now, I think that, you know, there may be time when it's clear to a majority of remembers the House that the Senate perhaps is not going to convict or is unlikely to convict on a particular set of impeachment allegations, but nonetheless makes a logical and constitutional sense to embark on an impeachment inquiry into the House because it gives you an opportunity to investigate, to bring forward facts about official wrongdoing. And I think that in essence the justification, and certainly for the first Trump engagement, where it was at least reasonably probable that the Senate would not convict, but the Democrats felt, at a minimum, we need to use the special powers of investigation that arise in an impeachment situation to unearth the facts regarding Trump's and connections with Ukraine and his effort to use Ukraine to secure good on his political pont I think that's arguably justifiable, even if you're not going to get a conviction in the end. But in this case, not only do we know that the Senate would never convict either Alito or Thomas, we know that the House is presently constituted isn't even going to open an investigation into these allegations. I think, particularly when the allegations are themselves I think constitutionally pretty weak. As I said, I think the Alito case is in the non existent constitutionally the case made against Thomas, particularly the first two articles I think are very very tho and the third article is borderline. I think it makes very very very little sense to launch into impeachments where you're not even getting an investigation. I personally, I disapprove of using a constitutional mechanism as serious as impeachment as a means of political signaling or it has no other function. I think that trivializes impeachment, and I think trivializing impeachment is itself dangerous, rapidly reaching that point if we haven't passed it in days gone by, certainly in the days of my relative youth, you know, somebody brought an impeachment allegation. You know that was serious business, and people who pay the content in national government picked up their ears and said, Mogley, if you know this, if somebody is seriously maintaining that this or that conduct by an officials impeachable, well that's something we ought to pay attention to. We ought at least listen to the to the case for impeachment, impeaching people or you know, filing impeachment resolutions when it can't accomplish anything. Not even getting an investigation seems to me a very bad idea. It just trivializes the mechanism of impeachment. It creates a situation where where nobody even cares, and I think that's bad. We've already gone a long distance to rendering impeachment effectively useless against official misconduct, and I think this kind of thing goes further in that direction.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for joining us. That's Professor Frank Bowman of the University of Missouri Law School, and that's it for this edition of The Bloomberg Law Show. Remember you can always get the latest legal news on our Bloomberg Law podcasts. You can find them on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and at www dot Bloomberg dot com, slash podcast Slash Law, and remember to tune into The Bloomberg Law Show every weeknight at ten pm Wall Street Time. I'm June Grosso, and you're listening to Bloomberg