Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hey, what a nice surprise.
Speaker 3: Huh, good morning, surprise, surprise, surprise, surprise. Covino and rich In for the great Dan Patrick, and I have to say thanks again to Dan for always having us and for leaving the Glockenspiel. Rich is really nasty as you play along to the Eric Glockenspiel. Thank you, guys wherever you are, for hanging out with us.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: We're normally on from two to four on the West, five to seven on the East, Monday through Friday. But when they say, hey, you want a film for Dan, of course it's the Dan Patrick hat trick Day one. So we're here for the next three days and we'll be in for Colin on Friday. Thursday is a whole other thing we're doing with Dallas Goddard of the Eagles. Yeah again, I'm Steve Cavino. That is Rich Davis, the number eight seven seven ninety nine Fox. We'd like to get you involved, stay included, play along at home, see our stupid faces at Covino and rich Hope you had a nice weekend, Cobra Kai sort of weekend, not an NBA All Star sort of weekends.
Speaker 2: There's so much rhythm NBA to get to today. But then again, is there anything really to get to.
Speaker 5: I see why stars like Colin and Dan and they this is the time of the year they take off. You know what I was thinking, am I right in there? There's like so little going on. This is where like the fun. This is what you have to break out the fun.
Speaker 2: Dan Patrick's been doing it for so long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that he has it down to science as to when he should take off. We should just like remember, write it down, copy those dates for our future so we know like exactly what dys to put.
Speaker 3: In ahead of time. Because again it's the slowest time of the year. So we're gonna do some radio today and just have some fun.
Speaker 5: That's why we h that's why we have an advantage because we hardly talk about hard hitting sports anyway.
Speaker 3: Well, let me tell you first off, how sports is the great unify, the great unifier.
Speaker 2: I'm not big on small talk. It trains me in.
Speaker 3: It gives me the nervous farts, it makes me feel weird.
Speaker 2: I don't like small talk chit chat.
Speaker 3: Right, and over the weekend I had to meet my daughter, my daughter, I have a fifteen year old teenage daughter. Fifteen year old pain in the ash right, and she has a new little boyfriend. Yeah, this is a nightmare for it. And I had to take her to meet his family for the first time because it was Valentine's weekend. Buppy, I hope you guys had a happy Valentine's Day weekend full of romance and love. But because their new teenage love, and because I was dropping her off at his house, I had to meet the parents as well. Oh boy, right, so I'm like, don't show up empty handed, bring.
Speaker 4: A bottle of wine.
Speaker 2: She brought a little plant for the family, Like you hung out there? I know.
Speaker 3: I went there to introduce myself, like, hey, she has a dad who cares about her and loves her.
Speaker 1: I'm the dad.
Speaker 2: Hi, how are you just a hello? How do you do?
Speaker 3: Because you know you're leaving your kid at a stranger's house, I don't know these people, but I also wanted to let them know that, Hey, I'm her dad. Don't be mean mugging my daughter. She's a nice kid. Right, Nice to meet you, guys, And they were pleasant, but you know what, the conversation immediately goes through though it's not really the small talk. It's so my son tells me you're into sports, oh, that you're some sort of broadcaster, and I automatically, oh, yeah, yeah, I love sports.
Speaker 2: And it's the.
Speaker 5: Great perfect talking about yourself.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 5: And it's like, yeah, who doesn't love talking about themselves? But sports again bringing people together, making the conversation easy. To grab the dad's phone and download our podcast I did. I said, hey, come here, search Covino and Rich. Do you stream your podcasts? That's me, that's us Coffino and Rich the best to ever do it. You just don't know it yet. So you know, you're talking all the sports stuff. So who do you root for? Well, from the East Coast, live out here in LA, but yeah, grew up hardcore Yankees fan, big fight fan.
Speaker 3: There's some UFC, there's some boxing this weekend. You know, I love fighting.
Speaker 5: I love football and the NBI I like it too, NBA yeah, the All Star Game yup, yep, exactly. So you're having all this really easy, breezy barbershop talk, and to me, it's the best conversation if you don't know what to talk about, if you don't know you know what to say, or, for example, a colleague you don't know much about him. You're on a work trip, you're trying to get on the bus's good side, you're meeting parents for the first time.
Speaker 2: Sports man.
Speaker 5: It brings people together and it really shows you if they can hang or not. It shows you where they are. I had a parent recently tell me the following, and it put up halt of the conversation. I felt that lull you speak of. You're at a school assembly, chit chatting with other parents at the school, so I hear you're into sports. This dad at the school set.
Speaker 2: To me, Oh, I apologize, I'm not really into sports. I don't have time. But again, now it shows you where they are talking about.
Speaker 5: Now, I mean, you find other things, but it does tell you something immediately about that guy, like music.
Speaker 2: What are you watching on TV? What are we doing here? You know it's odd too, though.
Speaker 3: You catch a guy who's like way involved and he wants to brag about his stat knowledge and his take, his like random guy hot take and he knows way.
Speaker 2: More than your and he knows more than you.
Speaker 5: Or he's like flexing in a way where he wants to show you that he does but I'm just I'm not in that mindset. So I'm like, yeah, I don't really want to play this game right now.
Speaker 2: I did it all day, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: I five buddies on my like softball team that'll be like, hey, who should I start this week with? By fantasy and they start listening to people, I'm like, I just I work for Fox Sports, but I really don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna do a fantasy sports breakdown right now exactly exactly. So I had this conversation and it was great, it was nice, but I did feel like I had to justify a little bit. And we've explained this in the past when you're talking to new people and you do what we do. I've said it for years. Podcasts are like opinions. Everybody has one, and most of them stink. When I'm telling these people that I do a sports show, I'm like, yeah, but I you know, I'm not doing like, you know, like a little boy podcast or something.
Speaker 5: You know, I've been doing this for a long time. In fact, filling in for the great Dan Patrick on Monday.
Speaker 2: You heard of that guy, right, oh oh oh oh.
Speaker 3: So I had that going on over the weekend. So while the NBA All Star was going on, it was a weekend of love and romance, new love and meeting people and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 5: You felt the need to make sure the other parents didn't think you were just some podcast. Well, I don't know if this is how I feel, if this is universal unless you look like old man Winter, which I do not thanks to just for Vato's dark brown black just to my just thanks to my hair and dye.
Speaker 2: When I meet other parents, they feel very parent to me.
Speaker 3: They feel a lot older than I am, So I feel like they're looking at me thinking that I do little boy things. And I'm like, I don't do like a podcast like your son's friends do because they think I'm a podcaster. I'm like, I'm a broadcaster, but I have a podcast, right, There's a difference, there's levels to it. I'm not doing it for fun. It's my career. We've been doing this for a long time. So it's not that I need to I said, justify, but you need to explain that. I think I don't think you do.
Speaker 5: Do they really win? Everyone in your neighborhod It has a podcast? How did they think you make a living?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know that. That's the point. That's why I'm introducing me. But if you're like, hey, well I don't know what they fit. You know, you know the girl you're Sun's dating, I'm the dead I live in southern California. Do they think you're a hobo living under the one on one? I don't know what they can think. I'm a deadbeat fraud I know. I Hey, no idea what they think about me. It does a rinky ding podcast, yeah, because when they say podcast, their Sun probably has a podcast.
Speaker 3: Everybody has a podcast. So anyway, it was a weekend of meeting new people. The point here isn't about my career. It's about that sports brings people together, people you never met, and you see it at the game.
Speaker 2: You feel it at the game.
Speaker 3: You're high five and strangers and that's the beauty of it all. And it gives you stuff to do, It gives you stuff to talk about, and it really puts things in perspective. Even if they don't watch sports, it tells you a lot about that person. So I had that shit chat about sports. Who I root for? What it means to me? And it always helps, It always works. That was my weekend. Then I realized something else rich two things. And I'll take your feedback in your phone calls that you were once a teenage boy. Now you hate this kid when you think about him. I think I worry more about my daughter than this kid. He seems like a really nice kid, Like he seems like the perfect kid. Then again, they all do right.
Speaker 5: If you were to hand select the kid for your daughter to be with, this would be the kid seems like a nice fella. I'll break out an old uh, an old phrase. Little Eddie Haskell n.
Speaker 2: A kid?
Speaker 5: Eddie Haskell? Is it Barney Stintson? That's even a twenty year old reference? Is there a is there a kid pop culture reference that parents like? That sort of a little weasel? Where is Eddie Haskell still the reference? Eddie Haskell is such an old guy, right?
Speaker 2: Is that still the reference? Actice like a grandpa reference. But it's let's leave it to Beaver.
Speaker 3: That's like Eddie Haskell was the quintessential, like hello, missus Cleaver, and then he's trying to get into hood rat stuff as soon as the parents leave. So Eddie haskells the the Wisenheimer type of guy. Who was nice in front of the adults, but like you said, was a weasel in real life.
Speaker 5: Stiffler. But I really don't know what I would say. It's Rich Davis, the velvet wolf. Here's my reference, Rich Davis pretends like he's a great guy.
Speaker 2: Just kidding, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't know if there's an updated reference. Hey if you got one eight seven, seven, nine to nine on Fox cn R. So the sports talk went over, well, they brought it up. They brought it up, so I leaned into it.
Speaker 3: Perfect, you want to talk about me, I'll talk about the Yankees, let's go. And then we talked about the dunk contest, which we'll get too later on.
Speaker 2: But one more observation.
Speaker 3: Because it was the NBA All Star weekend but also was Valentine's Day weekend, I really or should I say the Sakai to Kai weekend cobra kai weekend.
Speaker 2: For this guy, I noticed. My biggest struggle over.
Speaker 3: The weekend wasn't dealing with my teenage daughter hanging out with a boy.
Speaker 5: That's life, and I'm okay with it. I really am people. We as people, not just people.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 3: Magnify these things like they're gonna be dreadful. They're not that bad. It's life, and you embrace it and you realize it's special for them the same way it was for you, and you want don't be that dead.
Speaker 2: That's like, well, you know what I want to do. I'm going to scare him in to put like shine my shotgun or something like. That's not me.
Speaker 5: You want them to have a nice teenage love experience, you know, like, hey, did he get my daughter a nice card? Did he write in it? Was he nice to her? Is Valentine's Day? Did he buy her something? Do you want to scare a teenage boy? Are you proud of yourself?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, that's not who I am. I'm not trying to be that.
Speaker 3: But I also am trying to be present and assertive in my way, like hey, I'm here, I'm her dad, don't be a weenie.
Speaker 2: I noticed.
Speaker 3: My biggest battle over the weekend was trying to stay awake during all the NBA festivities. The obstacle and my biggest battle was trying to avoid girl Scout cookies and leftover Valentine's Day candy because I realized this we as men, we buy our wife and girlfriend and daughters candy and chocolates, and I realized that the half nibbled ones and the ones with the peanuts.
Speaker 2: Are left for us always. Those are ours, guys. Enjoy them. That was my mission to avoid them, and I failed the end.
Speaker 5: That was my weekend. That was yours, thin men's by the sleeve. Yeah, dude, it's not Joeline season. It's Girl Scout Cookie season. It's not NBA season. Is Girl Scout Cookie season?
Speaker 2: And they were calling my name.
Speaker 5: I had about sixteen samoas in one sitting. Well, the problem is, once you open that package of samoas, you have to eat them by the rope. No, I can't just tell you can't be lonely samoas. I'm like, he can't just leave these lonely ones here. I gotta finish them all.
Speaker 2: Is that a reality show you're watching lonely samoans? Yeah, like you know you feel bad for the other ones, Like yeah, no, come on, I'm gonna eat them all the tin mince in the freezer. Yeah. And once you open that sleeve, like, how many are at ten? Do you tell? You tell your wife you want five?
Speaker 6: All?
Speaker 2: Five?
Speaker 3: And I was so fired. I'm on Mac mclung. I was like you know, I lost all control, so I ended up eating the whole box. So I wanted to start today's show. You like, start We're fifteen minutes ten. I want to start today's show talking about the NBA because I have an analogy. I mean, this is no Colin Cowhart stars analogy. This is no Dan Patrick analogy, and.
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel like the NBA. I thought about this for a while because I much like you.
Speaker 5: You're talking about your weekend of meeting your daughter's boyfriend's family, and just you know, the point was, I had a title for it.
Speaker 2: Sports is the Great Unifier. Thank you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had my son's birthday party this weekend. When other parents are hanging around your house, I'll back you up. The short of it is when other parents were hanging around your house and you're like hey, after they're like, we like when you don't the place. After the initial small talk of like oh we love your home.
Speaker 2: Hey the drink? What the countertops? What is that? Uba? Tuba? It's grant? What is this?
Speaker 5: So the middle tops fantastic? The mid of dad talk is done. Cavino's dead on, and you can end it with that. You want to talk to a dad or a mom or someone that's just hanging around your house at a kid's birthday party. It doesn't feel as painfully forced painfully forces other small talk, like you sort of lean into it, like oh yeah, yeah, let's do this. I like I like this better. Yeah, man, you're ready for baseball season? Did you play as a kid or any sports talk? Yeah, it's way better than how's the weather doing.
Speaker 2: I got one.
Speaker 5: Besides the sports talk and the music talk. There was one dad that didn't say a peep, and he looked in my yard and he saw that we had recently bought a new grill, and clearly that was his thing. And I was like, oh okay, Because there's always something like you just gotta find their passion.
Speaker 3: And that's why I'm saying nine times out of ten sports, it's sports. If you want to talk about the big green egg or the new pizza oven you bought what are they called the umi UMIs or the or.
Speaker 5: The triggers or whatever it is, that's another thing that's easy to talk about.
Speaker 4: You're on the DP show. It's the trigger exactly.
Speaker 5: To me, it's whatever, whoever wants to give me some stuff I've just spent twenty five on a green egg.
Speaker 2: So to me, it's green egg. Ny, where's my tragger?
Speaker 5: I'll talk about all bed So while I'm making small tog of parents, you're doing your thing. That little intro was all to just let you know that the world of sports stunk this weekend. Yeah, and I haven't thought and it's it goes a little something like, of course you watched the Sikai Tikai, which I did, and I thought it was great. Only speak for yourself. I only up to episode two of the New Cobra Kai season.
Speaker 3: And if you don't know what the Sikai Takai is, then you don't follow international karate.
Speaker 4: You didn't like the dunk contest, Rich, that didn't stink?
Speaker 2: That was cool.
Speaker 3: I watched it in highlight form, Danny or like background TV format I had it on. That was that was good enough.
Speaker 2: Here's my thought. The NBA stars. The NBA is sort of like social media. Let me explain.
Speaker 5: You could post a video that you think is the funniest content. Oh, this is an A list interview. This is the funniest clip of you know something nonsense we did in the studio, and they could get like tens of thousands of views.
Speaker 2: You're like, I thought that was gonna hit.
Speaker 5: Then you can post a video of you like pop it a pimple and it has twelve million views. You don't determine what people want. They tell you what they want. It's mind boggling. If you look at our social media or anyone social media, they could have one or two videos every couple months that pop and it's probably never what they think. If you looked at all of our videos of all time, you know what our most viewed videos are me giving my wife our dog, pimple popping, and when we had a slap bet and one of.
Speaker 2: Us lost and we had a slap down.
Speaker 3: Sure every fellow who posts on social media could relate. You think that everybody's gonna love that picture of you and your kid, you fishing you and that killer joke you told, But some random one of you and your puppy, it's the views out of nowhere.
Speaker 5: You're like, huh, so, how did that happen? Let me explain again. You don't tell people what they want. They tell you what they want. And right now with the NBA, there's no blueprint on what catches, or what hits or what goes viral or what people like you just happen. You can't organically tell me what to be interested in. It sounds ridiculous, but yeah, de Tale is oldest timer. It's just like any artist, right.
Speaker 3: They always have the story of we weren't even gonna put that song on the album, and the one that they weren't gonna put on the album is the big hit, you know, and the one they thought was the big hit, no one give gave a Diddley squad about it.
Speaker 5: Oh, great example, Shaggy the cartoon like Scoob, No, not Shaggy, the art of Shaggy the song it wasn't Me. There's a great story behind that song Shaggy released. You know, he had mister Bombastick in the nineties that was a hit. But he had a couple stinker roos in there, and the record label was like, yeah, I think we're dropping. We're dropping Shaggy. This is you know, reggae pop stuff isn't working. And the label was like, yeah, we're done.
Speaker 2: What do you guys?
Speaker 5: What's the song he wasn't No, it wasn't me. This is all nonsense. Some random radio person I believe in Hawaii played it. A couple of important people were on vacation heard it. Long story short, this thing spreads like wildfire. Shaggy's a huge star. It wasn't me was one of the biggest songs of the two thousands.
Speaker 3: So the big Kuhuona played it on the radio and he came a hit. Yeah, and now the big Buffoona's talking about it at Fox Sports.
Speaker 5: So the thought is everyone said no, but then what the public said, no, no, no, that's the one we like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't know a rock band. You don't know what's gonna say. Rock band will say.
Speaker 5: The label resisted this song, and then they put it out for like the fans, and it became their big hit. Always happens, Long story short. The NBA, much like all these things, you can't force on people what you think will work.
Speaker 2: And and I'm.
Speaker 5: Not saying they're forcing it honest, but right now, for you to say, what should be the Western Conference finals? For example, right, okse, you got Alexander Sga Hartenstein, Jaylen Williams, a team that plays as a team.
Speaker 2: You got Yo Kinch who's fundamentally sound.
Speaker 5: You got the Grizzlies with you know, Jaron Jackson and John and everyone. Point is, if I were to ask you, Covino, who intrigued you.
Speaker 2: There's no young start.
Speaker 5: Maybe Wemby when he first entered the league, when we were all like, oh, we got to see this guy. We're still talking about essentially the older guys in the NBA, Lebron, Steph kd.
Speaker 3: Kyrie, like that all happened than the past few years. Though NBA was doing a great job of creating new stars for a long time.
Speaker 5: But those new stars time is pass Covino exactly, No, that's I'm just saying that's all recent.
Speaker 2: What teams, What teams intrigue?
Speaker 5: You ask yourself that, And the sad reality is it's veteran teams holding on because you just well, I.
Speaker 3: Would say, and I mean no disrespect to Danny g our super producer who's on the phones at eight seven seven ninety nine out Fox or any Lebron fan out there, but I think it's because of his longevity. We're still so focused on Lebron that conversations always come back to him and the Lakers.
Speaker 5: Lebron's son who this isn't even NBA ready, and I says, got more attension than any young star in years other than Wenby, Maybe that's what I mean, Like I say that, Hey, props to him, but in reality that conversation feels like two thousands Lebron James and we're still talking about him.
Speaker 3: I was wearing Jinko jeans when we were talking about Lebron James twenty years ago, and we're still talking about these.
Speaker 5: Lebron James still playing. There's there's room to talk about other people.
Speaker 3: But when it comes back to him, like, you're not really having conversations about the guys you should be talking about.
Speaker 2: If that's part of it.
Speaker 5: If I were to say Cavino, like the only reason, like look at the Western Conference right when you think of the teams that you would want to see, they're just the names of older veterans that you've seen before. Does the idea of does the idea of like Okase get you all fired up?
Speaker 2: Or Cleveland takes a minute too? It does? You know?
Speaker 5: I brought up music before. I don't like songs the first time I hear them. That's very rare.
Speaker 3: Familiarity takes a minute, you know, I have to listen to him, so three four times before I'm like, yo, that one's the Beadle's so, I mean, it takes a minute to start to know a little bit about these superstars, and that's an All Star weekend is kind of about. It puts them on a major platform and you get to familiarize yourself with these guys, with these new stars. But you tell me, is that how you look at it?
Speaker 5: Or do you agree that you can't really force on people what they're supposed to be interested in. We'll take your feedback, we'll break, we'll come back, because you can talk about it in any sport, right.
Speaker 2: I'm a big Mets fan.
Speaker 5: Pee Alonso On paper, you always say should be a bigger star, But there's something about him, like, does does anyone care about Pete Alonzo other than me and Mets fans during free agencies?
Speaker 2: He might no one.
Speaker 5: Cared about him, And you're you're the first gotta say, here's the guy that hits forty or fifty home runs, he's a slugger, he does the whole LFM. You know, let's eff and go Mets. Everyone loves them, you would think.
Speaker 3: But well, I think there's something about his personality that's not translating in New York and on a mainstream level, where people think he's just a goofy, boring sort of player that hits bombs, and maybe there's something to be said about the NBA. But put your finger on it. What was rubbing you wrong with some of these younger players?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Maybe it is like not wanting to participate in a slam dunk contest.
Speaker 2: I got to watch Mac mcclunk.
Speaker 3: It's how pampered and annoying some of these players are and load management. Maybe it's just rubbing people the wrong way, So maybe it's not necessarily them. You know, why isn't it translating? Is the question?
Speaker 2: I guess. We're live from the Mercedes Benz Studios.
Speaker 3: We got Shacked Diesel Trivia speaking of the NBA Shacked Diesel trivia later on today giving away some prizes. But when it comes to Rich's NBA analogy, what are your thoughts? Eight seven seven ninety nine On Fox.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Fox Sports Stradio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 5: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 5: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 2: Going on in the world.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 5: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Cavino and Rich. Cavino and Rich and for the Great Dan Patrick. Day one of the Dan Patrick Hatrick Live from Mercedes Benz Studios.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Cavino. That is Rich Davis. Good morning.
Speaker 3: I hope you had a great Valent Times weekend, Bopy. Hope you enjoyed some Russell stovers. Hope you enjoyed the NBA All Star Game? Was it SNL or Cobra kai that overshadowed the everything NBA All Star Game. We're taking your calls and your feedback now on Rich's NBA analogy. He's basically saying that there's no blueprint on what works and what doesn't work. But I hope you had a nice weekend of Steph Curry sort of weekend. He got the MVP, his second All Star Game MVP. The OG's got the win. We'll play some Shack Diesel trivia. But you want to explain again, Rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's evident that.
Speaker 5: In generally we like to think that we could tell people what they're interested in, what they like, what they gravitate towards networks. Do it, podcast, has to do it, TV shows, movies. There's a sentiment that, oh, we know what the public wants, but a lot of times the public just tells you what they want. You can try to push a new artist, a new athlete, a new face of a company on the general public. But they could very well just be like, now, we don't like that, we like that. It's like the famous story of Happy Days. Fansie wasn't supposed to be the main character How I Met your Mother. It wasn't supposed to be about Barney Stinson.
Speaker 2: Did I do that?
Speaker 3: Tory Nichols wasn't supposed to be anything more than a quick cameo on Cobra Kai.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that same category as Fansie.
Speaker 3: It's more relevant than Henry Winkler, even though I love him. I'm just saying the season premiere just wrapped up Tory. He's the main character of Cobra Kai. But it just shows you that, you know, like I said, uh erkele Phonsie, these are not designed theublic decided. So you could say these are the new faces of our sport. But if the public doesn't gravitate towards them, If you, as the average NBA fan, what matchup you'd want in the NBA, most people would say, hold, no, maybe like the Warriors are the Lakers because they're still hung up on Steph and Lebron and those older faces. I think, you know, I think if you're asking why is this because your point is valid. I think everybody and everything goes through transitional ups and downs, like transitional phases. We I think we were a little spoiled in the NFL, Like when we got all these slew of new quarterbacks, it made the transition easier. He's like, whoa, wait a second. All these dudes are really good, I mean guys, and you embrace the new guys immediately. We say goodbye to.
Speaker 5: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and you know, Drew Brees and that crew of quarterbacks. But we also welcomed in Burrow Jackson, Josh Allen, like Jalen hurts that.
Speaker 3: So it's like the holidays when you're grown up. Remember when you were a kid, how great the holidays seemed. Then everybody grew up and no one had kids yet, so the holidays seemed boring because you were going through that transitional stage of life and family. All of a sudden, your sister started having kids and there was kids back in the mix, and the holidays got exciting again. You're like, oh wow, their holidays are back. I guess now we just got through that transitional stage, and maybe the NBA, well, all the changes they're making and all the changes they're forced to make, and thinking about the way the game has changed with three points and it's become boring, and Silver's trying to for you out, well, how do we fix it?
Speaker 5: And a new format for the All Star Game? All these things are a little confusing to people. There's a new slew of characters that not everybody's embracing yet, it's just the transition all of a side.
Speaker 3: They'll be a moment in time where all of a sudden you're like, ah, I have.
Speaker 2: Another I have another reason.
Speaker 5: Who's arguably the best Major League Baseball player that's never sniffed the post season for the most part, For the most part, Trout. Mike Trout Right, you could argue, maybe not most the most personality plus guy. But you know what also takes a star like Mike Trout from being next level star never being relevant when it matters in the playoffs?
Speaker 2: Do you think.
Speaker 5: Maybe if the Spurs were more of an elite team and had had more weapons and more, you know, more of a vibe around Wemby. Wemby to me is the most intriguing young star, but in a league where twenty of the thirty teams make the playoffs, they're still on the outside looking in. Is that a part of it too, where Danny, the biggest young star that might be the biggest quote attraction, isn't even on a playoff caliber team.
Speaker 7: Well, one of my favorite players in the league right now is Dearon Fox, and the Kings traded him to the Spurs. So the Spurs are trying to work on what you're talking about right now.
Speaker 2: I mean you can't.
Speaker 3: We're coming off of crazy highs of a great MLB season first time in a long time. But it backs up what I said, another exciting NFL season and then you're like NBA and you're trying to play catch up now.
Speaker 5: But no, but it goes back to what I'm saying. Otani is the biggest star, but guess what he also did. The biggest star showed up on the biggest stage and that team won the World Series.
Speaker 3: I think once the I'm state in the obvious here, but once the playoffs are kicking in and you're seeing Lebron and Luca do their thing again, big team, big national, nationwide team, not just here in LA with superstars that you recognize when you see them competing with these younger dudes that you really don't know that well, you start kicking in and your fandom starts to kick in and you start getting excited about it.
Speaker 5: Luca and Lebron, Stephen Draymond, like the names that you want to say, Yeah, but you're tuning into the NBA right after the NFL, right after Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: You all hyped up about super Bowl.
Speaker 3: And then you're tuning into the NBA because it's all there is to tune into right as we approach All Star break. So that's kind of boring as a casual NBA fan.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Andy and Rhode Island. Andy, what is it?
Speaker 6: I mean?
Speaker 5: And I don't want to talk about, Well, the NBA it's three pointers and this and that.
Speaker 2: Andy. To me, it's just saying you just can't force what works. Yeah, you can't force it. You can't tell people what they like.
Speaker 8: No, absolutely, guys. And I feel that because you know, a lot of it kind of just goes back to revision's history because you know, we can't really see who's gonna be, you know, the next breakout generational players ahead of time, so we kind of just cling back to you know, the guys that's still in the league that have been doing it for so long, because I feel like a lot of it has to do with social media. We have so much access to these guys that in sense, it's always on to the next with the current society that we're living nowadays, and it's just so tricky because we want to embrace the new guys, but then I feel like a lot of these new guys they don't have that superstar you know, that whole horizon energy that we look forward to, just like you know, you're going back to Michael Jordan's he was so polarizing, but it was so it was such a mystery because we didn't have all the access to him. So that I feel like that's the biggest difference. And you know, like you guys said, it's a transitional phase and we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 1: Right now is just up in the air.
Speaker 8: You know, we can only hope for the best of the NBA, But it seems like we're embracing the NFL stars a lot faster because the NFL is dis case it really is it.
Speaker 3: Is, and it's that that good of a product where you're not really competing with anything. If you're a casual NBA fan, you're oversaturated with other options. Like if you asked me honestly over the weekend, yeah, would you rather watch the NBA All Star Game or Cobra Kai.
Speaker 5: I'm watching Cobra Kai. That sounds ridiculous, but we have. My point is, you have options. As your mom would say, up the wazoo.
Speaker 2: You have so many other things to watch.
Speaker 6: Mom.
Speaker 5: It's competing with all these other things, you know. So it's a mixture. It's a perfect storm of all of these things, Richie. I can't force these things, the new formats, the new stars, and you have all these other things to watch.
Speaker 2: George and La, what's up, Bud? What's what's up? Man?
Speaker 9: Hey buddy, Hey man, got to hear you guys this morning. It was a good surprise.
Speaker 2: Oh nice man, high surprise surprise.
Speaker 9: Sorry with your daughter. Brother, That was cool, man, that was real cool.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks man, it was all right. You know, it's a weird.
Speaker 3: It's a weird moment to just sort of accept that your daughter it's not her first boyfriend.
Speaker 2: But she's fifteen now, so different right now. Yeah, So what's on your mind? George?
Speaker 9: Hey, bro, I'll tell you it wasn't cool that Sprinky Dinky also our game, bro. It was pretty lame. It was non competitive. They need to come up with a better idea. Maybe, how about like something like, well, what hockey does? That hockey game was was beast but that was awesome first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hockey sold the weekend with their fights. I mean hockey fights. You know what it was this weekend was hockey fights. Saturday Night Live fifty and a couple other things that all sort of overshadowed.
Speaker 2: It was a pick a ball tournament.
Speaker 7: There was some crazy crashes in the Daytona five hundred when that picked up after the weather delay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't want to I don't want to be the guy that piles on. I don't want to kick the NBA will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but enough, if you weren't painting the narrative, then you wouldn't be accurate either. And that was the narrative on.
Speaker 5: If you took the temperature on social media and just the buzz of of what people were saying about All Star Weekend, that's exactly it.
Speaker 3: If you see it otherwise, feel free to share. We're just painting a picture for you. As I said to you, I don't want to. I just don't want to pile on and be like, yeah, MEA stinks right, guys, because I just think there's a they're trying Adam Silva striking. I'm just saying you can't force people to like something. I mean another thing though, just to show that you're not rich is again, that's the overall sentiment of how people are feeling. Right, So we're not gonna come here and be like, dude, that was electric, are we We would sound ridiculous?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 3: Draymond Green over the weekend was basically talking about how flat it was, how weak it was, how you have these you know, young players out there that don't deserve to be out there, and that the format didn't work like he made it no secret And that's been a theory of ours too on this show. When you have the analysts and former players and current players dumping on the product, how do you expect the casual fan to be excited about it?
Speaker 2: That's bad marketing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there were twenty minute breaks in that bracket final, and a lot of the players spoke out afterwards saying they didn't like it. They understand that it needs to be kind of stretched out for TV, right, and they're just being honest. But like Kevin Hart was doing stand up and little skits and he was at Lebron's locker putting his shoes on, and you know, and Trey Young said he was part of Chuck's Global Stars. I didn't like the breaks. The games were so short. Obviously we can score, so they're trying to I feel like, stend the game, you know, because they need breaks and things like that.
Speaker 4: But the players want to play yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think the silver lining here is they're trying to figure it out or trying to give you something else. Like we always say Rich Gary Vee, we quote him innovator died or trying to innovate and trying to make things exciting.
Speaker 2: So that's the positive.
Speaker 7: They're testing it on live TV, though, is the the issues. Like us, once in a while on our afternoon show, we'll test a game, a new game that we're gonna play, yeah, and it kind of evolves into the final product that we put on the air every week, and that first week or two we do it, we laugh, we have fun with it.
Speaker 4: It's a little rough, but.
Speaker 7: Imagine millions and millions of viewers watching something you're trying to figure out in real time.
Speaker 2: You know, your final thoughts on the NBA All Star Weekend.
Speaker 5: We'll get to that, plus a birthday of maybe the most famous athlete of our lifetime and will there ever be another? We'll explain that's all coming up next, your budd. It's being on rich In for Dan Patrick right here Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wap.
Speaker 3: It's CNR Covino and Rich CNR on FSR in for Dan Patrick. Day one of the Dan Patrick Patrick Live in Mercedes Benz Studios. Danny G's on the phones at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. No One's in a comment on my sweet top hat today for President's Day. You know what, I'm gonna drop some presidential fun facts.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't wait a.
Speaker 3: Little Ben, I'll tell you were happy President's Day, pop b I don't know if you have the day off for the kiddies, do, but hope you enjoyed the day. I hope you had a nice Valentine's Day weekend. Hope you had a nice NBA All Star weekend. Think Rich is really struggling trying to put his finger on the reason that it's just kind of lackluster and boring. But you don't have to look that hard, Rich, It's a transitional stage. You're not from you with a lot of these young players. It happens in life all the time, and when the stars of the league, when the stars aren't hyped about it, it's impossible for you to be hyped about it. Listen to Draymond Green talk about it over the weekend.
Speaker 6: You work all year to be an All Star and you get to play up to forty and then you're done. This is so unfair to Victor win Miyama who just took this game really seriously, Shay Gilges Alexander who.
Speaker 4: Just took this game really seriously.
Speaker 6: When you talk about chasing after the points, Wreckers Mellow and Kobe and all these guys who've had great staring knights, they don't get the opportunity to do that with this game. Also, we can watch some rising stars. We're about to watch the Olympic team. Now we get to treat of watching the Olympic team play against a U nineteen team.
Speaker 2: Come on what are we doing al of one to ten?
Speaker 6: Your thoughts of the format ten being the best?
Speaker 2: Yes, A zero sucks. Zero sucks. And he looked mad about it too.
Speaker 3: So you're watching this as a FA and it puts it in perspective like, oh well, because sometimes you're thinking.
Speaker 2: It's me? Is it me?
Speaker 3: Why am I not like zoned in on this? Why am I not excited about it? It's not you, even though we suffer from short attention spans.
Speaker 2: I thought about it. There's something flat about it.
Speaker 3: Even Stu Gotts wrote, if Dalton connect your boy d NG is playing in your all Star game, it's not an all star game.
Speaker 2: It's a some starscame me, come on.
Speaker 5: But I think I came to the conclusion I thought, I know, I thought, I'm just you know, that's the vibe of everybody. I thought about it because I said, I don't I don't want to pile on and just be another sports TV radio podcast that that's like, you know, the NBA struggling Yet No.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's be fair.
Speaker 7: Rich Draymond's sour and salty about a lot of things, of.
Speaker 2: Course, but I think here there's two layers.
Speaker 5: Number one, anything that is you know, resembling a solution to the NBA's struggling ratings or interest all equate to less money, shorter season in, less playoff teams, shorter games, and anything that would possibly be a quote step in the right direction all equal loss of revenue.
Speaker 2: So those are not answers. And then also think about this one. This is interesting.
Speaker 5: Maybe we just need to see someone do something no one's done. Let me explain when Michael Jordan was duncan and taken off from the three point line the free throw line, when these guys were doing ridiculous things, Michael Jordan revolutionized. Steph Curry hit a half court shot, how we you know, fly through the air? Steph Curry revolutionized the three point shot. Magic Johnson sort of revolutionized ball handling. Right, Are we just waiting for some star? Yes, I said ball handling. Are we waiting for someone to just do something drastically different that we haven't seen?
Speaker 3: I mean, we just mclung jumped over a car over this week, but we never saw anyone jump over the actual top of the car.
Speaker 4: No, your boy beat Griffin jumped over the hood.
Speaker 2: Hey, we've seen the hood. He jumped over a car. This dude that was pretty dope, But think about it, what else could be done?
Speaker 5: And I hate to compare it to, you know, something terrible, but sort of like smut, right, Like people keep pushing the en bulbs because I guess the regular bedroom activity isn't enough. Anymore categories out there we get to sensitize, and I'm like, all right, so now we see guys hitting half court shots, we see guys, you know, reverse dunking and doing everything.
Speaker 2: Do we need something else? Maybe that's it. We got more CNR.
Speaker 5: Next in for Dan Patrick right here on Fox Sports Radio, Hang Tight,