Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tori Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast Toy.
Speaker 2: You're most well known for your iconic role of Donna Martin on nine O two and Oh, but you also played another iconic role of Violet Bickerstaff on Saved by the Bell Let's get into It. So I was surprised to say that you were only in three episodes. I for sure thought, what you're okay. According to IMDb, there.
Speaker 1: Was three others, Oh my god, okay, okay. So yes. So Adri is my producer and big Saved by the Bell fan, so she wanted to do this episode today. And of course, me being Tori, I was like, I don't know if there's anything to ask me. You like, there's there's not that much and she's like, oh I have questions. I'm like, okay, okay, let's let's do it. Let's do it. And it is true like next to nine O two one, oh, I would say Save by the Bell, I get asked about the most out of things that I've done, and then Scary Movie two, and then Scream two, and then yeah, and the list goes on. But yeah, that was I was cast. Oh sorry, I'm jumping the gun. Just proceed with your questions. Adrian.
Speaker 2: Okay, so, since you were only in such a few episodes, what do you think contributed to Violet's a lasting impression?
Speaker 1: Well, so I will take you back to the audition. I was fourteen. I had done, you know, stuff for my dad, and I started acting on my dad's shows when I was five. At ten, I was like, I really want to do this professionally and want to be able to, you know, do stuff that's not my dad's stuff. I started taking acting classes. I had an acting coach, and then I got an agent. It was a children's agent and Iris Burton was her name, and she sent me on all kinds of auditions and I loved doing that. I would go to school and then you know, I would get home and someone would take me and I'd go, you know, sit you know, outside in a room with like tons of stage moms and there were kids, and I'd be sitting there and being like, oh my gosh. And I believe the first role that I auditioned for that I got that wasn't my dad's. Oh my god, I'm going to forget the name of it. Okay, it was on if anyone knows it was on CBS, and that was my first I was a co star. I think I had like two lines. It was a series and I was in one episode.
Speaker 2: Let's see it on here. Oh no real. The very first thing listed is Vegas from nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 1: Right, I did for my dad when I was five, and then I went on to be on The Love Boat twice, Fantasy Island twice, Hotel twice. I think The Three Kings TJ. Hooker. I did The Three Kings for my dad. Lou Diamond Phillips was the first time we're still friends that I met him. It's really not listed on my IMDb. No, let me ask chat she knows everything. Was there a CBS primetime series in the late eighties called The Wizard and Mister Yeah, Okay, it's a CBS primetime show. It was just called The Wizard, so I was close. It was just called The Wizard. It was ran September eighty six through eighty seven. The series centered on Simon McKay, a brilliant inventor with dwarfism played by David Rappaport, a little person who used his genius to create toys and gadgets with the help of bodyguard Alex Jagger, Douglas Bar was Tory Spelling on an episode of The Wizard on CBS. Yes, wait, you guys, how can I find it? And you guys couldn't find it? Okay, it's not a game to race. Wait. Yes, Tory Speeling did appear in The Wizard and CBS, even though it wasn't her best known role. She made a guest appearance on the series starring David Roppoor. That's how we're including I am dB lists The Wizard among amongst her early television credits. She was thirteen anyway, Trames, do you remember him? Was he? I feel like he was? No? Wait, yes, so what was he famous for? He was played and he was famous for something though he was on The Wizard anyway. I just remember having like the biggest crush on him, and he was like I feel like he was in other things, just that episode. But anyway, I remember being thirteen and he was fourteen, and I always thought he was so cute and I had my guest appearance with him. So that was like my first like on camera, like ooh, you get to work with actress, being an actress and they're really cute and you can have crushes on them. Okay, So after my co star appearance in The Wizard, I went on to audition for and Get to Beverly Hills when I was fourteen, So I did that. I'm just listing stuff that my dad wasn't attached to, because that's all people ever said, is like, E're only and stuff because your dad's a producer. Partially true, but and then I went on to audition for Save by the Bell and I got the role of Violet Bickerstaff. And I remember going into the audition and there were tons of girls everywhere, and it was to kind of play this nerd but it wasn't. They didn't specify. Actually, I wonder I would be curious to go back to the breakdown or just to say what that character, how they defined her in the sides that you would read to go in of what they were looking for in that character. It was to play you know, screeches love interest. And I guess one would assume I watched the show, I was a big fan from being you know, his character, that it would be someone that could be kind of like nerdy and eclectic and kind of Yeah, I wonder, I wonder what they were looking for. But all I know what I came to the plate with when I went in for my audition is I was like, oh my gosh, this character was inspired. So the character of Violet Bickerstaff, because even though when a character is written for a show or a movie, it's you know, ultimately up to the actor playing that role to create that character, and sometimes when it's a smaller role, it's not defined of what they want. So you go in there and you can kind of have the luxury if the producers and writers and directors like what you're doing of creating a character. So I was inspired to go in for this audition for Violet Bickerstaff based on a character that I did in real life and my best friend down at the time, we had gone to elementary school together, we went to high school together. We were born on the same day, Don Dawn. We would do these two characters and entertain our friends at lunch. And they were a married nerd couple called Roger and Ethel Sweelander, obviously a take on spelling. And I don't know why I was the boy and she was the girl, but she wasn't an actress and she was I would say if it was the two of us together, and we were best friends. She was the quieter one, you know, she was like really good at sports, and she was really smart, and I was like the fun like drama club kids. So like we would entertain our friends during lunch and we'd be like we'd put on like suspenders and bow ties, and I put my hair in two braids, which Violet ended up wearing, and I put on glasses, fake glasses, and we would come in and be like, oh, Ethel and Roger spe longer here. And my thing was I always snorted and our friends during lunch, and we would do it like after school and stuff and at parties, like our friends would think it was really funny that Ethel and Roger would just show up places and I would go all out and dress up for the part. So anyway, I go into the audition and read for Violet bicker Staff, and I added a snort to my line, so I was like, oh, Samuel, and I would snort. And I remember I was in my dad's office and we weren't at our new house, not the Manor, because I didn't grow up there at our first house. I remember being my dad's office. The landline ringing, and it was my agent and she was like, you got the part of Violet bicker Staff and Saved by the Bell. And I was like, oh my god, I just remember my world changing in my head. I was just like, this is everything she said. She's like, so it was the snort and I go whaty she goes. They were blown away that you had such a take on this character and really went all out and came in and just added your twist to it and made her your own and sealed it with a snort. And they love it and they want you to do the exact same thing. Anyway, long winded answer, but that started my journey on Save by the Bell. Now I know you said only three episodes, it feels like I was on for so long just because people iconically know that character. But it was always I don't remember getting the role how long they said I'd be on for, but it was intended to continue and continue. But nine O two and oh went and that became I was a series regular. So I did I think my last episode, I was doing nine O two and oh, and I went back and guest starred, but it just got too hard to do both. So then I just stayed on nine of two and zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy that that's only three episodes. I know, what was your first impression walking into that set as you came in season two?
Speaker 1: Walking onto that set was really scary. It was really scary just because I had done True Beverly Hills and I'd put on my dad's sets growing up, and very different experience. We're the boss's daughter of how people treat you, and you know, these experiences were like, hey, I just wanted to fit in, be one of the gang, and be there and do the best job I could. True Beverly Hills was the experience I had right before that, and that one was a tough one for me because it's it's strange, it was never intended this way, but the it worked out on that movie is there is you know, Troop Beverly Hills. And then I was, you know Troop Culver City, so the Culver City red feathers, and it was like very while they tried to like get us and hang all together because we filmed for months, it broke up into clicks kind of really fast, and I don't think that was the intention. And I know, and I'm still friends with Kelly Martin and we talk about this and she's like, I didn't even feel a part of it, And I was true, you know, part of that troup. But it's hard not to take it personal when you'd feel like, oh my gosh, I just want to like the popular girls. I wish they would ask me to sit at the table and have lunch with them. So coming off of that, I was like, oh my gosh, I hope I fit in this one, because I didn't feel like I completely fit in during Troop Beverly Hills. Although everyone was really nice, there wasn't anyone that wasn't nice. It was just, you know, they would do their own thing and we would kind of just sit there. But yeah, so say by the Bell, I can still recall coming onto that set and the boys. I believe I met Dustin first, who the kindest, loveliest person. He was the youngest of the group though, so I would say from my perspective, while they were all very close, there was definitely a different It was kind of like me and Brian on nine on two and zero when we started as opposed to the others, Like while we were all became friends, it was like, oh, those are kind of the younger too, So it definitely with the whole cast you could have that you could feel the vibe that they were, like, Oh, Dustin's kind of the younger one because he was younger than all of them, but he walked me around, showed me everything. Mark Paul Mario came up. They were super kind, and I just remember I was a little scared of the girls. They definitely had their own vibe and were very together as a unit, and everyone had their inside jokes, and it was just like, oh, not only is this super scary one, I'm coming onto this famous show as a guest star, and I had two I had never done a live performance. I had done school plays, but this was like on TV Saturday morning, and you know, they taped all their shows in front of a live audience. I had never done it before. We rehearsed all week, and then the day of taping we would do you know, they would bring in the studio audience and you would go live basically, and it was really really scary, just because you know, later I went on to do other sitcoms, but this one was like I was fourteen, I already had like that thing of like people being like, oh, the boss's daughter, even though this wasn't my dad's show. I was like, are they going to judge me because my dad's a famous producer movie? They think the producer of this show and my dad are friends and me. That's why I got it. This was all in my head, but it was still scary. But to this day, and I would say this, I enjoy the experience with everyone on that show. My feelings and my perception of how things played out is mine, and it's you know, we all take things personally when sometimes they're not at all. I was fourteen, but to this day, I would say this to anyone in the cast. I remember the boys being insanely nice, and Elizabeth Berkeley so kind, and the other two, which were Tiffany and Lark, were very nice to me, but a little it was at a little not disjointed disassociation, like they just they were there to do their job they had. I don't remember feeling the warmth from them and the acceptance that I felt from the guys and felt from Elizabeth. And that's the truth. Obviously. You know that went on to change, and Tiffany came on nine to two and zero and she was dating Brian and we had a friendship, and you know, if she and I ever talked this out, she probably wouldn't even remember. But that was just how I perceived it. But because of that experience on Saved by the Bell specifically, it was I don't regret anything that was really important for my journey because after that, from the time I started Nino two and oh, any person that stepped onto that set, and you know, I took a page out of Dustin Diamond's like playbook, like he welcomed me with open arms, walked me around the set, introduced me to everyone. I always went above and beyond because I knew how scary it was to come onto an established shows set. So any guest, star, co star, background player, anyone, and I think anyone that's ever worked with me on NINEO too, I would tell you that this is the truth. I went out of my way to do anything and everything to make them feel as comfortable and as part of it as possible, because, yeah, you want them to do their best, you want to be their cheerleader. They're just there to do their work, and it's hard feeling like you don't fit in, like it.
Speaker 2: Did you end up hanging out with them, like, did you guys have school together on set? All that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: I remember I had to do on set school. I'm not sure. I think they did their separately. I might have done it with Dustin, but I can't remember exactly. I remember instantaneously having the biggest crush on Mark Paul, who didn't I remember he was so nice, but a little more aloof I think, and Mario was just it was kind of It's interesting. I felt like girls that came onto the set like co stars, and we were all the same age, you know, so it was okay high school. They were like the two leading men. So I would liken it to nine O two was the only comparison I have. Like a girl coming onto the said an actress, and there's Luke and Jason, you know, Brandon Dylan. So it was Mario and Mark Paul, and it's like who would get the girl? So I remember them both not being flirtatious, but they knew they were like they knew they knew that girls were into them. They knew that they were they were charming. Let's just say that, very very charming. Well, I guess it's charming as like, you know, fourteen year old fifty year old boys could be so like Twilight, your team like Jacob or Team Edward. Like it was definitely like Team Mario, team Mark Paul, and I definitely was like Team Mark Paul, but like got more attention from Team Mario. So I was like, Oh, I just wish Mark Paul would want to like ask me on a day, but Mario asked me on a date, which was still great, but I felt like more friend zone there. And we're still friends to this day. But he was like one of my first dates when I was fifteen. We went out and he and I both told this story. And it's because I was on the set of you know, Saved by the Bell and one of my episodes. He was like, do you want to go on a date, And so I had just gotten my license, So it was probably the third episode I did because I was already at nine on Too and Zo and I drove my car. He was fifteen, he had turned sixteen yet I picked him up, and we've told the story. We went to a movie at Universal and you know parked. I parked my car, my BMW convertible, my first car, same car Donna Martin had as well, Champagne parked it and had never done that before because I'd never been in like a mall complex like that big. And we watched a movie and then came back and could not find my car and he needed to get his mom was like, are you coming home? Like he needs to get home. I panicked and I had to This is so embarrassing. I had to call my house. So I called the security at my house and the security guard had to come pick Mario and I up and then drop Mario at his mom's place and then take me home. And yeah, that was our short lived romance. So embarrassing. We've all been there with Mario Lopez. No, I can't find where I parked my car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so you've spoken about your first on screen kiss being with Dustin.
Speaker 1: Yes, can you tell us more about that? Of course, he was so funny. He was so funny and so kind and at the end of the day, he just wanted to be accepted by everyone and his peers. And like I said, he was always kind of like the younger kid, and I, from what I saw that always stayed with him a lot, So you know, he would always I felt like overcompensate by trying to be funny or trying to stand out, and I loved it, like I was there for his humor and also he was really vulnerable, and I feel like, yeah, it was. It was a great first experience, pri experience, like first on screen kiss. It was because you know, it was a sitcom, so it's not like you're doing like an crazy open mouth kiss, and like it kind of like got me into kissing on screen because there was no pressure except like an entire studio audience watching us kiss. But he was just so nice and such a gentleman and it was just sweet. So I don't remember like how scared I was. I was probably more scared of like all the lines. I would always say my lines like in my head and be like, okay, here we go, here we go, because I was terrified of like saying a line wrong in front of a studio audience, like fear because you know, everything I had done before then it was like you could do as many takes as you want, don't worry if you mess up the line. And this was a studio audience, so you felt like, I know, all the network was there every every taping.
Speaker 2: So speaking more of Dustin, we all know later in life he made an adult film.
Speaker 1: Yes, did you ever see it? I have never seen it. I have never seen his adult film. Yeah, very fair, have you?
Speaker 2: No, I have not.
Speaker 1: Is anyone here?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, did you ever invite any of the cast members to your iconic sixteenth birthday party? So Ley Moon for I talked about all.
Speaker 1: The hot guys were there my eighteenth birthday part?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Sorry, sorry, that's a really good question. I feel like if any thing Mario maybe was there, I would have to ask him. I don't know, Like Mario from that experience was the only one like I kept in touch with and Elizabeth I would say, and I'm still really good friends with Elizabeth Berkeley. And then yeah, shortly after that, you know, Tiffany and Brian start going out, so I would see, you know, Tiffany would be on set. We had that connection from Saved by the Bell and then she joined the show, so it was just a whole different experience. But I don't know. I don't think any No, I don't think so. Maybe Justin might a been at my eighteenth birth day.
Speaker 2: Right a little behind the scenes. Who was dating who?
Speaker 1: Oh geez, I don't I don't know. Fun fact, throughout my episodes, I was on Saved by the Bell. Scott Wolfe got his start there and was on it. He was background player, so in all of like like Violet was in the choir like he was. If you look in episodes, he was back there and all the classroom scenes, and so they would have different like background players, but they would keep the kids kind of consistent. So all of the episodes I did, he was there. So later, you know, when we were both on Fox and I was on nine of two No, and he was on Party of Five, it was like, oh my gosh, it was so great to see him, and I was so excited for his success. That was the first time I met him. And I'm not sure who was dating. I feel like I've read things about like Tiffany and Mark Paul maybe, but I don't know. I wouldn't know, to be honest, I want to say none of them.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've heard all the room. Wait, what are the rumors that they like kind of all dated each other?
Speaker 1: Really did they?
Speaker 2: But I don't know it rumors maybe Never did you ever run into any of the cast while you were out clubing in Hollywood back in the day.
Speaker 1: I feel like I would. Yeah, I mean, obviously I would continue to see Tiffany because if we ended up working together and we would go out together and we were friends. But yeah, like Elizabeth and I feel like Mark Paul was never out in the scene. I don't know if Mario was either, Like if there was, I don't know. They were good boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you could ride a crossover episode between Say by the Bell and nine O, two and zero, what would that storyline be?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, wait, well could it be like whatever you wanted to be?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Could it be like whatever happened to Baby Jane? And so there's like two sisters and it's Joan Crawford and Betty Davis, but it's really Donna Martin and Violet bicker Staff, my two characters from and O and Say By the Bell or.
Speaker 2: Maybe whatever you want, Okay, I'll do that?
Speaker 1: Is that random? So random? It's the first thing that came to mind. A crossover though, would be like I don't know, because like Donna would be an easy crossover, and save by the Bell because she was kind of I think she was a blend between like Jesse the good girl and like Kelly the popular girl and there would be Donna. I feel like she'd be friends with all of them, and Lisa like so she would fit right in. And it's funny. The two shows I did both had like iconic diners, so we would always be on that set. But and and what wait? I had to sing and say by the Bell, which I do actually sing and have sang in different movies and mass singer. I'm not like a great singer, but I can be coached and a little bit of Missiletnes. But saved by the Bell. They didn't even ask if I could sing. They were just like this is I was as so swating the choir and it was beautiful dreamer and they were like here's the like uh oh god not hs because that tape. Listen to it and just like match your mouth too.
Speaker 2: So that wasn't you singing because that was like an epic solo.
Speaker 1: That was an epic solo. And sorry to say, but it wasn't like they were like, hey, do you want to work with a vocal coach or can you do it? They were just like, oh, here, you're just gonna lip sync it. It's like oh, which is kind of scarier and harder to do. I wish I had attempted to sing it.
Speaker 2: But anyway, your kids seeing those episodes.
Speaker 1: So my kids are like into throwback TVs, I mean getting into it. They love Full House. They have not watched Saved by the Belt. I feel like they need to watch Saved by the Belt. I feel like my kids don't have any idea who I am. Like, you know, they've seen Scary Movie too. They love that. They've seen Scream too, But other than that, they've they've never seen my work.
Speaker 2: I watched Say by the Phone a long time. I wonder if it holds up. I wonder too, but I don't know if I'm biased. Grew up on that show, all right. How do you think Say By the Bell and Beverly Hills, Nino two and Oh shaped nineties teen culture, but in different ways.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously I can speak more towards Nino two and Oh, and I couldn't see either of them back then because I was in it, you know, and we were young. But looking back at it now, I mean it was Nino two to and Oh specifically, I think was the first time that gave a voice to teens. You know, every show it was about the adults and their issues and their problems and what it was really like. And you know, there's that old thing like kids should be seen, not heard, and kind of I feel like that's the way it kind of used to be on TV as it progressed. It was like kids have a voice, and they have a strong voice, and they should be heard and they have issues just like adults, you know. And I feel like nine two and oh was the first that took a chance to focus on a nighttime show, say by the Bell, I think we're wor because it was a morning show so kids wanted to watch kids. But I think they took a big gamble day my dad doing a show that spoke to teens that adults would be viewing. You know, primetime TV started at eight o'clock, so that was a risk. You know, people, you know predominantly it was adults watching, and what if you know, it was their house and they controlled whether kids watched or not because back then it was like everyone had a TV in their room. It was more like gathering and watching in your living room. And they took a big chance of you know, parents and adults being like, eh, we don't want to watch a show about kids. But thank god it worked, and then Saved by the Bell it was you know, Saturday Morning TV. I feel like Saturday Morning TV before Saved by the Bell was kind of focused more on kid kids, and this was about you know, preteens and then teens again, giving them a voice in a comedic, light hearted way, but they'd actually dealt with a lot of issues as well, And if you go back, there's a lot of issue oriented episodes that the teens on that show go through, similar to nine two and oh.
Speaker 2: I feel like nine two and ohs. Yeah it felt trail well, yeah, but it felt a little more like real life. You could relate a little more.
Speaker 1: Bear. There wasn't a laugh track after every line, you know, so yeah.
Speaker 2: True, people weren't playing pranks on their principle all day long.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: All right, well that's kind of most what I have unless any memorable behind the scenes moments or bloopers or anything that really stands out from day about the belt.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, why not think I remember it as soon as I lee.
Speaker 2: Or anything else you want to add to your experience.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm just really grateful for the experience. I think it taught me so much about I mean, comedy is my heart and that was the first show, and you know, that was the first show to give a voice to my comedy, and that kind of paved the way for me to be able to take charge to make Donna comedian. I don't know what the word I'm looking for, I mean, because Donna wasn't written that way. Donna wasn't you know, Donna wasn't written as much like Donna was friend number one, I think in the pilot and then you know, she went on to have a character name and then you know, they gave her a little bit of a background, but you know, she pretty much started as Kelly and you know, Brenda's friend. And you know, I realized from early on, like, gosh, there's a lot of stars here and there's a lot of magic here, and I have to do something to stand out. You know. I didn't feel like I was the prettiest girl there. I didn't feel like I was the most talented girl there. But I knew deep down that I was the funniest one there, and so that was and that's just something that's always been. I'm not a very confident person, but I'm very confident in my ability to make people laugh in my ability to do comedy. And I had that from a young age just in real life making people happy and smile. And I liked seeing people get utter joy from laughter. And so if I hadn't had that experience on Save by the Bell, maybe I wouldn't have been able to really take that chance on nine two and oh to make Donna stand out and do the physical comedy. And you know, the more the writers saw that on nine O two and oh, they were like, oh, you like comedy, so Donna, they would start to write towards my strength and do the physical comedy and do all the Lucy esque things that I loved to do because that's just my passion. So what was the question? There's the violet snort. I really actually do snort in real life when it comes out once in a while.
Speaker 2: I mean, the snort was awesome, Thank you. It really lent to the character.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Oh, I have one Rinning. So they had the reboot of Say by the Bell, and I believe Mark, Paul and Mario and Elizabeth and Tiffany, I think they all produced it. They came together and did it no, And I was really bummed because I was like, you know, Dustin had passed away, and I was like, that's kind of like his legacy is, like what's left is like Violet because they would have gone on to get married hopefully. Yeah, and it's just like it's a character that everyone talks about. And I say that with confidence just because I know the fans, like they always bring up Violet and she's so beloved. So I was kind of bummed. And I did Mark Paul's podcast and I said, like, what happened and they only went one season? He said no, honestly, like season two. And Elizabeth had confirmed this with me when I talked her about after like season two, we were totally gonna bring in Violet. And I'm like, oh damn it.
Speaker 2: It would have been fun to see her pop up season light.
Speaker 1: But yeah, during my life, but uh yeah, who knows, maybe something else will be done again. Was saved by the bell One day. I can go back and do Violet. I should do like I should do something Violet like on online, like a TikTok Violet. That'd be fun.
Speaker 2: Did you keep any of her wardrobe? No?
Speaker 1: I can't keep any of Donnas either. I was a good girl. I wanted so much for people to like me and think I was like nights and great and like I would never have kept anything like that would have been like but kind of what Donna and Violet war they kind of I mean Violet, I can't picture her ever wearing like a crop top or anything. But it was the you know, the early nineties, so it was like the little like bike shorts and baby doll dresses, so it was kind of a crossover