Speaker 1: The Around the NFL Podcast.
Speaker 2: Is not holding in a training camp all right.
Speaker 1: From the Chris Westling podcast studio. It is Around the NFL. I am Dan hansis joined by the heroes Greg Rosenthal and Mark Sessler.
Speaker 3: Humpday, humpday?
Speaker 2: Is it a hump day?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 2: It's the excitement of football being back. It's it's back.
Speaker 1: It's back everyone. Actually, I don't want to start. I don't want to start the show with sad news, sure, Mark, but I do have to share some tragic news out of Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Sorry to hear that where I am. I regret to inform everyone listening right now that the twenty twenty three Pittsburgh Steelers died reporting to camp later than all thirty one other teams in the league. It's over and then this has been data that is backed up year after year. The team that reports last finishes last. Steelers fans, you heard it from me first, but I express no pleasure here. It's over. Come back next year, ready to go earlier than the rest of the Yeah, have the last.
Speaker 5: I guess what surprises me is because not only during the run of this show, but throughout the course of our lives as football fans. The Steelers have always been a well put together organization. They draft well, they develop players well. They seem to know how to tackle a regular season, especially under Mike Tomlin. There is so much data that supports that the team that shows up last is essentially you're off. Why would they be behind the ball. This is a Detroit Lions trick from the past.
Speaker 6: It's the first thing they teach you in analytics school day one. Whoever shows up last does worse. And it's a big loss for Mark too, because he famously this offseason.
Speaker 2: Are going to win games.
Speaker 1: Ain't that the way? Mark?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: What happened to teams side jumped on their bandwagon last year was essentially one death after the next.
Speaker 1: The Steelers just got ahead of it by falling behind it. I guess I shouldn't notice. I should note on the other end of things, the first team to report way back in July nineteenth the New York Football Jets.
Speaker 3: The Browns had the option to report the nineteenth.
Speaker 1: They chose to party a couple more days and report the twenty first.
Speaker 3: Mark, I know that doesn't.
Speaker 5: Matter to you, but I think that theme game, I think that plays out correctly with what probably will happen to the Cleveland Browns this season.
Speaker 6: It is quite a move by the Steelers, like most of the league, the majority of the league showed up to work on Tuesday, started practicing Wednesday, and the Steelers said, you know what, for all the extra days off we have and the lack of tackling and this and that that the CBA has built into exit, we just needed other day.
Speaker 3: Rest in power kings around the NFL.
Speaker 1: We had a great app with Connor Orr on Tuesday. Team slogans, we're gonna dig in deeper today with rap Sheet in studio. I was trying to think we had rap Sheet infamously the Peacemaker episode from Santa Monica last summer. Yep, we've had him, I think remotely before.
Speaker 3: How many times he's been in the studio.
Speaker 5: I don't think he's ever.
Speaker 2: Hands Maybe not this studio, I think so.
Speaker 5: I don't think he's been in this studio. Chris Wesling, we's always been at combines, owners meetings, you know, out outdoor type stuff.
Speaker 1: So we'll dig in with Ian on a bunch of things. The running back Saquon Barkley coaches on the hot seat. We'll ask him about a maybe a budding internal rivalry with the pell Raiser, who's you know, making moves, whether Ian Watson admitted or not for the crown of top insider at NFL media, it's fair to say, Greg, I know you're on top of those things. Pell Raiser, I know the golf buddies, but you know he wants it.
Speaker 6: It's been a trend. Ian notices it. The pell raisers profile, especially with the news drop on this show, has been rising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll ask him about the newsdrop toocause I'm sure Ian, it's.
Speaker 5: Got to get under your skin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, anything else, Mark, what's going on with your laptop? Yesterday you didn't have any laptop at all. Now for the listeners and check out the YouTube show. You have a it's a silver glitter cover to your MacBook and then what appears to be a black cat or kitten covering up the Apple. We don't have a corporate relationship with Apple the NFL, so that's that's smart from a business standpoint, but kind of an insane laptop for a middle aged man to have.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't deny that that takes it. I don't deny that, but you know I was in a pinch. I told do that my actual work dished out, laptop has died.
Speaker 3: Yes, And this led with that after our long run.
Speaker 5: This profession matters to me, showing up to work and you know, researching for the show and being capable matters to me. So in my downtime between our last episode and this, Uh, I did the requisite work to find new technology.
Speaker 6: But you chose a bit with that cat sticker on. You could have put any sticker on. But I do know that a cat in any of your IG stories. Followers will know this. People got to check mark out on Instagram that a cat has entered your life, that that I think you have a loving relationship with. Yeah, so it's a big cat.
Speaker 5: Well it was a bit of a uh, you know, because I spent you know, four plus decades thinking the cats were total junk and I kind of learned that's not true.
Speaker 1: I just, I mean, I thought we were on the same page as that. Everybody kind of knows. Here's another hot take, and Eric, we need to work out something behind the glass. I had a hot take about the Dodgers yesterday. Let's come down with the cats.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not I don't think I'm riled up. I just think that my opinion has changed. I don't I'm not're not loving creating. Am I running up and down the hallway at work telling people about cats.
Speaker 2: It's ignorance.
Speaker 6: It's just playing and simple ignorance, Like like when you kind of rule out or judge any I've tried Creed PCs.
Speaker 5: Why would you need to judge any animal, Dan or animals.
Speaker 1: That's what we do. We offer opinions and insights. Tearing around the NFL Cats, Eric, you're a big time Dodgers spent. It occurred to me after the show I buried your favorite baseball team, saying the twenty twenty World Series title was fugazy because of the shortened season, a pandemic and all that. How do you feel about that? Do you think? Because I think, for instance, you got nineteen eighty eight, the Kirk Gibson year, and then if you go to Dodger Stadium you'll see right next to eighty eight twenty twenty, and I think there should be an asterisk or something next up. Is that?
Speaker 7: Disagree completely with it? That's why I don't really push back. I think, though that season is odd. My defense on that as always they it was level playing ground across the league. Everybody had the same amount of games, same little bubble amastur in the playoffs, and I know for a fact if any other team would have won that twenty twenty year, they would have claimed it just as much as I do.
Speaker 3: Yes, as a Yankee fan, I probably have to say you're right.
Speaker 1: But I'm not right.
Speaker 2: But I am not running around tote in that one.
Speaker 1: I'm not like, oh, you remember twenty twenty? That was fun?
Speaker 7: I mean it was fun. Yeah, I don't get me wrong. I watched most of the games. I watched the playoffs, right, but I'm not like, I trust me. My wife bought me a shirt has a shirt big ring on it says World Series Champions twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: You weren't even on the earth when Kirk Gibson did Who's a Theatrical?
Speaker 1: I was not okay the break lights and yeah, Chavez Ravine went off over the right field bleachers, all the fans that had left thinking Eck was going to close it out until he hung that slider. Greg, But I do was it you that pushed back or you had stated that maybe the Bucks title is a little fugazy nice.
Speaker 3: You said was I didn't say that was connor O connored it.
Speaker 1: I thought the Bucks I legit because they played the full set.
Speaker 2: I think they're all legit.
Speaker 6: They played what they could in many obvious ways. It was harder for those group of men to achieve that than in any other year. Of course, the fan enjoyment it wasn't the same at the time because they couldn't for the Dodgers because you caldn't be there, You couldn't get the whole build up of a whole regular season, So they missed out on that. But I I think diminishing those accomplishments stupid.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna have a take? At some point in today's episode, you shot me down on having a cat take. Now, I can't have a COVID take about you.
Speaker 5: Whatever take you have, But it's a better show if we don't.
Speaker 1: He keeps dismissing my takes.
Speaker 8: Well they're absurd, all right, that takes you're dismissing them.
Speaker 6: We we we all were gone for a few weeks. We like, you know how they're always like, oh you know Kobe, Kobe always worked on one thing every off season. He's like, you got to add something to your game or else you're falling behind. And then this year during my off season, I was like, disagree as much as possible with Dan's tape.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be my new thing.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to picture of what the workout is. You're watching old at ns and stuff and be like wrong, wrong, It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Doesn't he know my lovable Morris from childhood?
Speaker 1: I didn't. But maybe a nice feeline. Let's do some news. Chargers coming into this one.
Speaker 4: Just a lot of money on fourth down, but two or three today the original voice of Herbert has time, all kinds of time rowing do is right to the end zone and that passes caught.
Speaker 7: Touchdown Chargers Herbert to Keenan Allen, the captain with the connection.
Speaker 1: There. He is the voice of the Chargers and yes, the former voice of God. For the Around the NFL podcast, Matt Muney Smith with the call justin Herbert. Yes, he is different.
Speaker 3: He was different from the moment he landed with the Chargers and was came into the lineup under strange circumstances when poor Tyrod Taylor got an injection on some sore ribs that led to a Pierce Lung as I recall, and that the Chargers are kind of forced to put in the rookie, and then he entered the lineup immediately and became a star. And cut to a few years later and the Chargers get it done with Herbert, keeping him in the long term on a five year, two hundred and sixty two million dollar two hundred and sixty two and a half million dollar contract extension through twenty twenty nine. It's just the latest domino Greg here with these quarterbacks. It was Lamar Jackson before him, and it will be Joe Burrow most likely after him, who will make just a little bit more money than Herbert did. It's it's kind of funny, Greg in this era where and we were talking about like you were coming down hard on agents in the past few months on this podcast. It's like, all this seems to be is you just at the move.
Speaker 1: It a little bit past and everyone does their job and everyone's happy. So I could tell you what the Borough contract will be will be a little bit more than this one in terms of guarantees and the ability to say he's the highest paid player ever right now Herbert is congratulations to him and his whole fam and Chargers fans. Your team got the deal done. A cheap franchise historically payout big for your QB.
Speaker 6: It's great to see, if you like, justin Herbert and the Chargers in any way, that the Charges just did the thing that quality franchises do.
Speaker 2: It wasn't drawn out.
Speaker 6: I think there's a few different things that are interesting about Herbert, but just on the money situation, he did accept probably less than he could have if he wanted to push it, and everyone has their different reasons for that, and I appreciate. I think I'm done with sort of judging players for what they wanted to do. When you look over the entire seven years, because it was an extension, his average is more like forty two total fully guaranteed money at signing was like one thirty three, you know, considerably less than than Lamar in some of those. So it wasn't as good as Lamar's contract. Really, it's fine. There's there's a no trade clause in there, which gives him uh some leverage down the line. It gives the Chargers some flexibility. To me, it looks more like the Patrick Mahomes deal. It's seven years in total, where it really gives the Charges a lot of flexibility of how they want to move money around in the future, and that he didn't push for everything to be up front.
Speaker 2: He basically said, this is enough.
Speaker 6: And I'm gonna be on this team a long time and I'm not gonna like push this to the end degree.
Speaker 5: I'm with you. Sorry, it's like the go he's making a till a cash hairball there.
Speaker 1: I don't know time for his first analysis of the show. He waited for the moment he has a cough.
Speaker 5: I mean this happened, yeah, one seventy three shows, so I don't think it's anything new. It is such a manageable cap hit over this year and next you know, and then you then you then they'll just readjust the money at some point and move it around again. And I think the Chargers that if you looked at these these these the Bengals and the Chargers are both this a little bit a bit of hesitation from the fan base, like can the Bengals get this done right? Can the Chargers under the Spanos family get this done right? These are not like the most cash rich franchises around.
Speaker 1: We know that.
Speaker 5: And the Chargers just went and did it, and they did it with no drama, and I think that has a lot to do with Justin Herbert, who's a no drama type of guy, and it fits their organization perfectly. And Tom te LESCo has talked in the past about having zero fear about making this deal happen because he was baked into the Colts front office for fifteen years when they continually built around Peyton Manning and his deals. So this is similar to that. I think Tom to LESCo being the Chargers, there's an era of disappointment about how every season seems to end, but you look at what he's done, what he's built the quarterback, he chose the roster around him, and it's like, if you remove some of the kind of bad vibes around the team coming off last season, there's no reason they can't be an AFC title type team. The roster is strong all over the place.
Speaker 1: I want to believe everybody wants to.
Speaker 5: I want to. It's tough though.
Speaker 3: What was I mean, what is the what did they blow in the playoffs?
Speaker 1: What was that? Twenty seven to nothing was their last game they played? And Herbert has been so great and it's three years as starter and yet the team is twenty five and twenty four overall since he took over as the start. It's like, for me, this is the right move to do by the Chargers. I love Herbert just like everybody else. He's fun to watch. I would really like to see the organization now move forward. Yes, they did make the playoffs last year, but it was a horrific embarrassment for the organization how it played out.
Speaker 3: Let's see them make a run in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Le's see him get to the divisional round or even the AFC title game, because you do have the quarterback to do it. We always talk about it. We say the roster is there, and we could point to bad luck and this and that. I think there's a lot of pressure on the Chargers come up later with Ian as well, to make a run this year and show us that, yes, all this work building up to this, including now locking in Herbert, has made you a Super Bowl contender. Show it to us. Don't do it again. Don't do the same thing again. Where we're building this team up next summer as Oh, it's all there, it's time to run, It's time to go, come out.
Speaker 5: The only thing I'd say tho is last year. Herbert, like the one thing I love about him, We all on this show, we love watching him, but like he battled through so much pain and physical pain, and like it's kind of forget about some of these injuries. It could barely move and run and throw, and it took in like a month plus or two months to kind of get that confidence back, I think in his own body. And it's like he never complained, he never flinched. I mean, the dude, it's just everything you'd want in a quarterback. And it's like a fully healthy season from justin Herbert can get to you all these places we're talking about.
Speaker 3: For the Chargers, we.
Speaker 6: Did QB rankings with Jordan rad Riegmark and the hardest thing for me was Herbert versus Burrow. Yeah, and I took I still would take Herbert. I actually would take Herbert over everyone except Mahomes, Like if I could just pick one, even Josh Allen, because I just think you see it all. You see everything. He's only been in the league three years. It's easy to forget that, like his QB Index for instance, like year end rankings, what was nine as a rookie, which is outrageous that you could think of him as a top ten reokie. I had him fourth in his second year. You had him fifth at the end of last year. That's just a crazy way to start your career mentally, physically, everything. I think the offense will open up things for him. He leads all quarterbacks in history in completions, touchdowns, yards through three seasons. I know it's a different generation and everything, but that's just wild to me. And if the Chargers somehow blow this. You drafted in a row Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, and Justin Herbert with literally no time in between.
Speaker 5: Right, was there a season because we always talk about the Green Bay Packers fans like Chargers fans at that quarterback and.
Speaker 6: I know it didn't happen for Breeze. The only ended up getting one year out of him. But the Facks are you drafted Breeze, Rivers, who I believe is a Hall of Famer, had at least five top five seasons.
Speaker 2: I think Herbert's going to have even more than.
Speaker 6: That that in a row like Bennett's on the organization.
Speaker 2: To your point, Dan that you're not making super Bowls.
Speaker 1: Come yeah. To be clear, I'm not putting the heat on Herbert to better. I think Herbert's a stud and he did battle through a really nasty injury suffered early last season. Yeah, let's see what happens.
Speaker 5: And one little nugget, I mean, I think that they recognized he was paired with the wrong offensive coordinator and Joe Lombardi a year ago. Kellen Moore has spent all offseason. They know each other, the friends, and it's just been totally collaborative. And I just I like the whole idea of Justin Herbert being completely unleashed under Kellen Moore versus what happened a year ago where he led the league and passes to running backs. It's like there was a lot of Drew Brees has sort of checked down and like late era Drew Brees. It's like, this is not that quarterback.
Speaker 3: Well, he was hurt too, same point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they change the game planners.
Speaker 5: Well, I think in generality, I think was not a fit.
Speaker 1: Ellen Moore is good that offense in Dallas.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a great point.
Speaker 1: Mark there you go.
Speaker 3: Who wondered who is that?
Speaker 2: I think one of our draft columnists at the website.
Speaker 1: One last point before we move on all this, Patrick Mahomes. We don't have to have discourse about how bad Patrick Mahomes' contract is every time. It doesn't have to be a part of the conversation. Patrick Mahomes agreed to that contract. He's happy, he's a champion. I've just watched on on the Quarterbacks Netflix show the estate that he's building with his wife in Kansas City.
Speaker 2: He's doing beautiful.
Speaker 1: They're gonna rework the contract in time, and it's everything's gonna be. We don't need to talk about it. He's fine. He didn't take a big l on the deal. Maybe it's team friendly. Maybe that's helped Gregy build a champion around him. I'm just a little sick of that one. Do you disagree with that take as well? No, I kind of liked it when you were disagreeing with it.
Speaker 6: Fortunately, I think he yeah, he can do what he wants. He's doing fine. It's mildly annoying, like if you're Patrick Mahomes that you know, like Jalen Brown makes more money than you. But that's just different sports. It's a totally different sport.
Speaker 3: That is, they are very different sports, like.
Speaker 5: Now in basketball, it is completely different than basketball.
Speaker 6: Here we go, if you're like a sixth man who can play a good twenty five minutes a game. Like you're good on both ends. You can make you make like eighteen to twenty million dollars a year, like very few NFL players can do that. And that's just like you're coming off the I mean, I feel the same way about baseball contracts. Some just out of control.
Speaker 1: Why it's wrong with the baseball contracts compared I don't know half of them. Just guarantee you don't want the players to You don't want guaranteed money for the players.
Speaker 3: You wanted to stay in the owner's pocket. No, that's not right.
Speaker 5: I mean all have them just you know, sit around eating sunflower seats.
Speaker 1: Guaranteed money either goes in the owner's pocket or the players.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's the salary cap.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think if justin Herbert CBA, if there was no salary cap, justin.
Speaker 1: Iber big corporate interests of America, that's what you're doing.
Speaker 5: You think that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: That's what this is about.
Speaker 5: I don't believe that's my angle.
Speaker 3: Brock Purty good news for the Niners. He's ready to go quote unquote.
Speaker 1: According to John Lynch, he had a elbow injury suffered in the playoffs led to surgery. The hope was that he'd be ready at some point this summer, but he's cleared to practice. And with all the marathon discussions around Trey Lance, the former first round pick Sam Donald, who entered the Fray this year, if things work out, Mark hal Shanahan hopes it will all be for naught because party won't have any setbacks. In Week one, he'll be on the field.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean a couple of months ago, I could have seen a reality where like someone like Sam Darnold is starting the first or second game of the season if perty weren't ready, and if Trey Lance, I think, is still someone that If you're the Niners, one of the best things that could happen is you still play Trey Lance a bunch in the preseason. He looks great. Maybe you trade him, but you also I think behind door number two is like I'm like pro brock Purty as much as anyone around, but like we still need to learn and discover if he is that guy we saw from that incredible run at the end of last year, which is so improbable, Like is he that player or like with an offseason of players diagnosing more of what Shanahan does, getting to know brock perty more as an opponent on tape, like maybe that he brings them back down to life. And then you have Trey Lance and it's like it still seems to me like a very muddled situation with a lot of questions.
Speaker 6: But we did get an answer, and we say it throughout the offseason like, Okay, when they show up for camp, you learn a lot. Some of these guys they say you're gonna be back, they're not back for a long time. Some of them, like Purdy, are surprisingly ready to go.
Speaker 2: We didn't know.
Speaker 6: I think they were tamping down expectations because they didn't want they did they didn't know, and they didn't want to set anything unrealistic. But they say no restrictions. That's that's sort of not true because he's only practice two out of every three days. So for instance, today's the first day and he's.
Speaker 2: Out, so that's restrictive.
Speaker 6: So but he is fully practicing in the other days. And the big headline to me out of this was they made it clear he's taking the number one reps. They're not messing around with like, oh, we'll do a little Lance, We'll do a little Donald. They're like, no, Brock Purty is taking our number one reps on the days that he's playing. Now, Lance and Darnald works out with with Purty out every third day for for a couple of weeks. We'll get their chances too. And Lance seems to be ahead of Donald. But that's a big statement Dan that it's like it's pretty's job. They're not really messing around.
Speaker 2: With a bat.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that's the right way to play it. He's earned this opportunity.
Speaker 1: The one thing I'll say before we hand out lollipops, let's check that back in a couple of weeks. Sure he's throwing the ball a lot, and how his elbow is reacting to that. He's not obviously not gonna be taking hits or anything, but we got to see if that elbow can play the guitar that.
Speaker 5: Hold on the lollipop.
Speaker 3: If you're a rock party, we're just not gonnass him out yet.
Speaker 1: Let's pass out a lollipop though. To Andrew Thomas, the left tackle the New York Giants, who signed a five year, one hundred and seventeen point five million dollar contract extension Adam Schefter reported the deal includes sixty seven million fully guaranteed. Thomas was one of those guys in I want to say it was the twenty twenty one, twenty twenty draft and there's a bunch of tackles available. The Giants were in that mix in the first like ten to fifteen picks, and they hit on the right guy. Last year, PFF graded Thomas as the league's sixth best pass blocking offensive lineman more a little more middle of the road Gregi as a run blocker according to their analytics, but the Giants like him a lot and now he will be protecting Daniel Jones in the long term.
Speaker 2: Great reminder for fans.
Speaker 6: Let's say of Evan Neil, who's also on the Giants draft in the top ten or I kim A Kanwu last year for the Panthers, like it takes a while for offensive lineman, Andrew Thomas was full ayd like in.
Speaker 2: The Radio New York media.
Speaker 6: For being a potential bust after a pretty rough rookie year, and then he's just been fantastic the last two and it's a reminder.
Speaker 2: Look who they've given them.
Speaker 6: I mean, they gave a lot of money to Dexter Lareen's a lot of money to Daniel Jones, a lot of money to Andrew Thomas, Like Gettleman is really having a renaissances like where's it does?
Speaker 3: Show you spe into But he got paid right, The.
Speaker 6: Positional value is not helping Saquon because everyone else is getting paid.
Speaker 2: But Gettleman had some good picks.
Speaker 1: A lot of money, a lot of money, and Barkley did get some vouchers for like free energy shakes in the team commissary mixed up for it right, well, not free but subsidized. He's paying only like three bucks for what should be like a six dollars a steal shake.
Speaker 5: That's a steal inside that building.
Speaker 6: You got to remember to cut the bring the coupon though, because sometimes you get to the front you're like, oh, I got the coupon, but it's back at home.
Speaker 1: They're like, and I should mention they only supply him with the blender and the ingredients has to make his own.
Speaker 5: I still think it's a fantastic deal for him on that front.
Speaker 1: On the shakes front, the Bears SEV signed tight End Cole Comet to a four year, fifty dollars contract extension according to Schefter, thirty two point eight million guaranteed. Whoo, that's a lot of money for co comet. But apparently they see him mark as a Justin Fields field stretcher or first down getter or red.
Speaker 5: Zone yeah, I mean Ryan Poles. Back in January, they kind of quized him like, you're you just had a really rough season win loss wise, like who are your like blue chip players on this team, and you'd like the probably wouldn't think there's too many of them. But he mentioned him like.
Speaker 3: Before the question was even out of come.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he came running tip, he came running to the one with that with that answer. So yeah, maybe part of it is just like they like him a little bit better than the average person. But I think he's an ascendant guy like he he seems to fit really well with Justinetterfield's well, you're right, they have to get it right. But he also there's there's some I don't know, sometimes teams do things that are like a little bit more than just the the on field performance. Because he grew up he's a grew up a Bears fan. His dad was with the team at some point in the nineties. I mean there's just a lot going on where.
Speaker 2: I think the famous Mark prep work.
Speaker 5: Trying to become something, and like, I think he kind of just fits. And you know, I can think of like when the Browns paid Dave in the joke who I was like, I really like Dave and n Joku half the time, and then he's killing you with a killer drop in the fourth quarter. He looks the part, and I know you like him a little more than I don't think. I think he's a Would you agree that he's a little hot and cold?
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure, Comets. I like Comet better than enigmatic.
Speaker 1: Did you is it enigmatic that I say?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, that you're calling him enigmatic?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what does that mean?
Speaker 5: Mysterious? Unknowable?
Speaker 2: So I had it, yeah, sure, a little up and down.
Speaker 5: I was taking all making sure. I like, uh, you know, I'm an actual agreeing with you.
Speaker 1: He's a big he's a playmaker that has mental lapses occasionally, but I believe with better quarterback play he could ascend to the next tier of tight ends.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Greg, this is a I think Ryan Poles the GM also spending the cap space they have now in a way that they can save it for next year because they everyone got all excited about how much cap space the Bears had going into the offseason. They did what they wanted to, but they still almost had too much. I think there is such a thing as too much. They still had a ton just sitting there, and now you spend it on comment. Now, maybe it's a year early. I think it's a good value to you. I like Comet. I think he'll be more consistent than Nijoko. He's he only turned twenty four this offseason, so he was a very young rookie. That's another position where it takes a little bit to get going. A nice little player.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Titus Howard with the Texans at Chenna and Willsue with the Seahawks also get new deals, so they are happy and healthy in the bank account. And Greg and I'll turn it over to you for a little bit of an injury minute from training camps around the league. Up for the Steelers because they.
Speaker 6: Just started all right back on the practice field. No pop list for these gentlemen. Michael Thomas, how about that he's back again, Jack Leonard, Jack Leonard, this was a little bit of a surprise for me. You're gonna keep an eye on that one. Davonte Williams. We don't know if he's fully back, but he's not on the puff.
Speaker 1: That surprise.
Speaker 2: That's a good sign.
Speaker 1: His name was jacked up.
Speaker 6: That's big Kyle Pitts who's had this strange injury. I'm keeping an eye on it, but he's back. And then John Mechi, the Texans draft pick from a year ago who overcame the Akemia. So cheers to John Metchi because he was He was also the sideline in the off season just with an injury.
Speaker 2: The people on the.
Speaker 6: Pup list Dan Jonathan Taylor, this one looked like he had a procedure done this offseason. Is it maybe he's still overcoming that. I need to check that. I don't like that the minutes Breest Hall on the pup list, Von Miller, No surprise there. And then Tron Armstead, uh the left tackle always seems to be hurt for the Dolphs. Had a procedure that no one knew about in the off.
Speaker 5: Sea and he hurt himself working out. Try to stay healthy there, mister orm.
Speaker 6: Said Jonathan Taylor. There's something popping there. He's He's made it clear he's not. He's maybe the most vocal in terms of unhappy uh running backs out there.
Speaker 5: Because he would be up for a new he wants a new contract, right. This is not a great kind of a mess entrede there.
Speaker 1: So he doesn't have a lot of leverage in that department.
Speaker 5: I don't like the von Miller thing either.
Speaker 6: Yes, there was, Yeah, the ankle surgery was earlier this offseason. Recurring issues. They don't believe it's going to be a long stay. But he doesn't seem happy.
Speaker 1: Good injury minute. That's what's happening in the news. Promo time football is back. Let's have some bad music for this.
Speaker 2: Let's come on, we're back together. Let's getting the spirit.
Speaker 1: Football is back. Celebrate by No, this isn't.
Speaker 5: This is odd, strange mood?
Speaker 1: Is this same one?
Speaker 2: Turn that up?
Speaker 1: Turn this up? My? This is it? This is a little too much for this. Well, I don't know if the copy is you really have to earn that?
Speaker 3: Give me one more kind of like that though, Yes.
Speaker 1: Oh commence promo. Football is back. So I'm right by watching as teams across the league take the field for training camp. Back Together Weekend presented by none other than YouTube, with two full days of practices, player interviews, miked up moments, and fan fests across the league. It's a can't miss NFL reunion, NFL Network and NFL Plus. You gotta check out this. NFL Plus. By the way, we're gonna be on NFL Plus this year. We got we got some meetings. We're talking about them today.
Speaker 5: It's the new thing. It's very essential. What meetings, Well, no, definitely not those, but like the NFL Plus meetings, I could take your leave.
Speaker 1: I am very excited about some ideas we have for NFL Plus this year. You guys on the same page. Yeah, I can't wait to share it with you, the audience. And anyway, NFL Network and NFL Plus have you covered with coverage on Saturday, July twenty ninth and Sunday July thirtieth, with additional coverage on ABC and ESPN. Go to NFL dot com slash back Together weekend for ways to watch, and we will be.
Speaker 3: Right back after this with the rap.
Speaker 1: Sheete James, all right, we're back. A little listener note before we throw it to rap sheet. This was recorded twenty four hours ago with Ian and it just so happened Greggie while we're talking to him, he's increasingly distracted on his phone, and he does like a walkout right after we're finished. And it turns out, and you would clarified this with a follow up.
Speaker 6: Text, Yes, as the ATM Media Insiders apprentice, I reached out to Ian and yes, he was working on the Justin Herbert contract, which he broke on Tuesday. And you could have figured out that we taped it ahead of time because I stumbled over that many times. Yeah, in this interview. But yes, that was why he was kind of giving us not his full attention at some points in the interview.
Speaker 2: But he handled it like it was.
Speaker 1: A little showy, the walk out and things of that nature. But it turns out I have to and you'll hear me kind of bury him a little bit. Yeah, we critiqued him, but in this case, yes, he there was a reason why he was doing that. And give him a little pop dack.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, we'll listen to it. I believe you went so far as to suggest that he was just putting on an act just to walk out of the room, and actually he's working incredibly hard.
Speaker 2: Big story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why they call him the rap sheet, the insider and a little shot across the bow of the pell raiser while we're here. All right, let's throw it to that conversation. Welcome back to joining us now is a man for damn? Over a decade now has been.
Speaker 9: What is this music?
Speaker 1: What do you think? Concert? There? It is what are you called the roar shack? That's a type of test. Yeah, however you hear it. It's very interesting see how different people here. Like Kyle Brant was on the program, I think during the pandemic and he said it sounded like an episode of Silk Stockings that he might have been watching in his teen years. Everyone seems to have different interpretations of it. You say, Phil Collins, it seems a little sultry for Genesis, but maybe Colin solo.
Speaker 9: I assume I'm waiting on the drums to come in.
Speaker 1: You know. This is the guy driving back to his apartment after he learned that his partner had been shot and his girlfriend or wife.
Speaker 3: Manum, yeah, you're too close to the case.
Speaker 1: And yeah, Ian Rappaport, everybody rap sheet you know we have this is let's start. There's start on a positive uhgative. Usually something comes up negative, but like one of the big faux paus of our show is if we have a guest and they're like on their phone during an interviewer, but rap sheet, it's kind of his brand.
Speaker 3: So I think maybe you get the past.
Speaker 1: So if you have to stay on top of things as you do, uh, as you did today in fact or earlier or yesterday with Saquon Barkley, yesterday we got we figured that and then I correct myself, but then you brought more attention to it. Just an issue, Eli, Make make this make sense, please, because it's very Saquon Barkley is tagged. Yeah, he signs. Is it technically the frame I chose to I do? It doesn't matter? Why would he choose the small amount of incentives and then set himself up to be attacked again next year? Make it makes sense?
Speaker 3: Because you broke the story about Barkley's deal with the Giants.
Speaker 9: Yeah, at yesterday, even though it's actually today, but yesterday, I was found out at midnight that this deal was happening. There's some things that needed to happen, and so I knew that it could probably break around seven Eastern time. And I'm on the West coast like you guys, So I was up at three point thirty am holding my phone like this, waiting to hit the button, which you know, what if something goes wrong? What if, like, come on, bro, what if a physical doesn't go well? Which I knew it was, but what if there's contract language that isn't good? Like it just I'm like, I better be up for this. Or what if someone else, you know, had it forty five minutes before and I was sleeping and then you're.
Speaker 3: Like, it's right there?
Speaker 1: Are you up?
Speaker 5: That was Steene information on on X and threads at this point duplicate type.
Speaker 9: Of when I remember I put it on threads, Yes, I threads is yeah, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting being an insider. Before we get into some more barkley stuff, let's just a quick aside here, Like it seems like a terrible job, like a great job, and like the visibility and you make a tremendous amount of money. Your salary is outrageous.
Speaker 9: Definitely not okay, but there's I don't do it for the salary, then.
Speaker 1: I get it. There's such a I did ask him before we started whether he's graduated to having a private car taking him from locations during his visit so in California. I wasn't joking. I feel like you might be able to get that into a contract negotiation. That's a conversation for you in charge of my own stuff. Yeah, but my point is, it feels like it's such a thin line of what you can end up getting buried for as an insider, and people are always looking for something. I think you had a tweet last month about a college coach that had an unfortunate ending to his career, and then I saw you popping up at websites.
Speaker 3: That people are getting on. I saw that, I read your tweet.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this was worth you know, I just feel like something I say.
Speaker 9: It was about Pat Fitzgerald, and I said a dramatic, a dramatic conclusion or something like that. And originally I had a dramatic and correct conclusion, right, But I don't really love to like get out there and put my opinion on things because honestly, like I do not know. So I said dramatic, which is something that is sudden, something that comes out of nowhere and is sudden, and that a coach who had been there eighteen years getting fired was pretty dramatic, and people took it in a way that.
Speaker 3: I have a theory.
Speaker 9: It's just, you know, there was card for a lot of parsoning language and like, but here's the thing, I I don't think like you say, like it's easy to get yourself in trouble. I don't. I don't think it is, because everything that I would say in an interview, whether it's here or on radio, or on a show or on our shows or literally anything, it's all intentional. Like I don't like trip and fall and say something offensive, you know what I mean? So like, it's not like I have to like, like, I don't really give my opinion on a lot of things. But I've been not giving my opinion on things for twelve years. It's not very difficult now. So like whatever I would tweet, I would say in a show or say to you, like I just it's not very hard to not.
Speaker 6: You don't fly off the handle much sometimes, but you want to, I think out loud.
Speaker 2: So sometimes people get upset. You get upset.
Speaker 9: Sometimes I do get upset, and but I don't fly off the handle ever.
Speaker 5: Do you feel like you still have as much I'm sure when you're a young journalist and you break news there's that rush of excitement, the thrill like do you do you do? You feel like the thrill is still get inside of your.
Speaker 9: That was fun. That was fun yesterday morning because obviously we're not taping this a day early.
Speaker 1: It's no time it was taped.
Speaker 9: That was like, so there's a lot of stress and like you know, if someone calls and say, hey, I got this contract extension, like put it out now, that's fun and exciting, and then like you do it and it's like woo and then it's over. The Barky one was stressful because that had to sit for eight hours, so like that was not a very fun night of sleep last night, honestly. But then you hit send and then you watch everyone's like reaction come in and you knew, like I knew that nobody knew this was happening. So to watch the reaction was like and it was positive. It's all positive. So I do enjoy that. I take the losses less bad than I used to, hmmm, because there's always something else, like if I get burned on something, or someone was supposed to give me something to give it someone else, or I thought I had something and it ended up getting out a different way. Like the DeAndre Hopkins scoop. I felt like I had a pretty good handle on that one. I've done a lot of DeAndre Hopkins stuff, and I did not break it. I had the money first, but I didn't have the team. Doug kead.
Speaker 1: Head heads out there were joyce for the.
Speaker 9: Former Patriots rider, but yeah I was. I was annoyed. But it's like, all right, like get the money, get the next It's it's such a long game that I handle the losses a little bit better.
Speaker 6: But the opposite of Bill Parcells who said as he got older, he no longer had the mental defenses to deal with losing, and my in my little experience just as a sports fan, I feel like I can identify with that.
Speaker 2: I think it gets harder as you get older to deal with the losing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, coming from a Patriots fan, but yeah and other sports, other sports, Yeah, Celtics ten losing.
Speaker 2: Still I'm in a post Patriots world.
Speaker 9: Losing still sucks. Like, don't get me wrong, but there's just so much that it's like like I work as hard as I possibly count on one thing, but then when it's over, it's always like I mean, you see on TV, like let's say a big contract happen, and well then it's like, okay, you talk about your contract for twenty seconds and it's like, what's the next. It's always sort of like onto the next, so like mentality wise, like that actually helps cause you move on so quickly.
Speaker 1: It's funny because that whole insider game. Also there's there's rivals, and you know you have a rival at ESPN. I believe that you guys been duking it out for years. Yep, Doug ked the cad heads out there, you know. But it hurts, I would say, I would guess it hurts less to get beat by the cad Heads than by a shafter. Now, we have someone in in the building of the NFL media universe named Tom pel Sero, your golf buddies with you. You seem to be close friends with Pali Saro. He has his own drop on this show. He's the pell raiser. Now, does it bring you a level of frustration or anger that we don't have an ean drop when you are delivering news when we're going through it in our rundown that you used to did we.
Speaker 5: Well, well, I would only say, and this is this is not personal at all but the Pellissaro, the pell Raiser drop has become immense taken off.
Speaker 1: We don't know Tom, it seems like he would like it. Maybe let him know. I haven't.
Speaker 9: I haven't sensed the momentum that you guys have. In fact, I've actually didn't know it existed until right now, momentum for Tom.
Speaker 6: Because it seems like Tom's got some momentum and he does. That's tricky having a rivalry within the building. You've dealt with that before and you proved victorious.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but whenever you're gonna kill next Ian, well, no, whenever Tom gets something, he deserves it. And so like he and I were bang bang on the Trevon Diggs extension yesterday again because this is not right hammered in and that nail in yep. And so when he gets it, he deserves it. So like you know, there's been definitely things that I thought I was going to break that he breaks. But it's always better than the alternative mm hmm. And so like it's it's all I'm just saying, it's always better than the alternative any single way, the alternative plus Tom's Tom deserves it.
Speaker 1: Great, Oh you better golfer than him, Yeah, you guys golf a lot.
Speaker 2: Why are a lot of golf?
Speaker 9: And we put when we played, I shot eighty six. He did not mark.
Speaker 1: What's your take on golfing for a middle aged men?
Speaker 5: I see the attraction. I personally don't have seven or eight hours to spend time doing it.
Speaker 3: What's your thing?
Speaker 5: My thing?
Speaker 9: Yeah, everyone has to have a thing. What's your thing?
Speaker 5: A lot of it can't be mentioned, but uh, it's not golf can't be mentioned.
Speaker 9: Well, this audience isn't Is this audience not numb to your antics by now? How much long have you had? Guys had this whatever?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 3: We don't ask him what he does in his own podcast.
Speaker 5: I think they're largely they could surmise employ.
Speaker 9: I had a friend in college, a sort of a friend, an acquaintance in college, who was riding downtown in the city with another one of my buddies, and they happened to be on the same subway and one guy gets off and he looks at the other guy and he goes, don't follow me.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what you're like.
Speaker 6: That that's very much a Sessler move, except you just wouldn't say anything, just would leave. Wait, why do you think that's Sequin Barkley going on this zoom call with the running back somehow like took leverage away because apparently, I don't know if Floria was on it or people just heard what was in it. Everyone had the idea on the zoom call that he was going to camp. Anyways, why why even I guess you're you could make an extra nine hundred thousand dollars out of this deal, but why do it at all? Like why why not hold out for for more? Why not why not at least get a promise not to tag?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 9: John Marra does not do That is the reason. And so like there are things in negotiating where you say, like I can get this or I can get that. Some things are a non starter, right. It's like, you know, like a fully guaranteed deal for quarterbacks for everyone not named Deshaun Watson was a non starter.
Speaker 6: And I think all the quarterbacks or Kirk Cousins, the greats, you know, the greats of the game.
Speaker 1: He was great.
Speaker 9: He was great in that Netflix show. I assume you guys have watched. We will be talking about it on Thursday's program taped on Wednesday. It's all now taped on Thursday, maybe for a Friday release. Got it?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 9: But like so, so anyway, why do you do the deal? He was probably gonna come in a couple weeks into camp. Okay, history has not been kind to the players who come in late to camp. A lot of times they get injured. I think when Bosa did one of his holdouts, he ended up with a hamstring injury. He didn't play for four weeks. Like, being in shape and getting ready to go kill it this season is important. I think when all your friends are at training camp and you're not, I think that sucks. And like, look, either his options were hold out and signed the tag or not hold out and get extra money and get a little upfront, like absolutely long term deal. I thought this was a totally fine solution, and I think we're probably going to see more of it now that some other players are gonna be Like, I don't know when Josh Jacobs is going to come in, but like this structure would probably make sense to him too, if the Raiders were willing to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you get the sense because the way it's reported he was seen boarding a plane he's leaving town. Is that something where it could be you know, a little bit more heat to it than your typical holdout situation.
Speaker 9: I got the sense like they didn't do a new contract, obviously, so that's the number one goal. But I got the sense it was okay, like didn't agree on where he should be, but I didn't feel like anybody was like throwing things against the wall and hating each other. Was more like we disagree on value, okay, Like let's try to move forward.
Speaker 6: There was an interesting report in The Athletic though by a former I guess of the sho Vic tayf which I know who was kind of like, why all the spin after the Josh Jacobs deal that it was so close, essentially saying without saying that McDaniels is maybe trying to send a message to Mark Davis that we gave it a good shot, this is the guy you really like, or maybe send me a message to the fans that hey, we got close, and was kind of saying without saying I'm putting words in the mouth here, but that that it's a little bit more of some old McDaniels off the field chakanery, which if you kind of look at it, it's been piling up. It's like they signed Derek Carr, he's gone. Renfro's on the trade block. Maybe maybe not Darren Waller. You sign him and he's gone.
Speaker 2: It's it.
Speaker 6: DeVante Adams is grumbling a little. There is some like McDaniel's denvery vibes there.
Speaker 9: I see. I don't. I don't get the vibes. I understand what you're saying, because like, obviously, at some point you need to win, and if they don't win this year, then they'll they'll be obviously questions, just like there is with anyone who doesn't win. I think they were pretty close and in fact, like my opinion means nothing, but like I'm talking to a lot of people as these deals happen, and like there were definitely moments on that Monday where I thought a deal was gonna happen, So like I didn't think it was spin. I really thought, like as I'm preparing for, like you know, we're about to do a show, and we're going to do a show at four o'clock Eastern, one o'clock Pacific Monday, franchise tight Day got it, and like the producers like, what's your topics? I'm telling them, like I think there's a real chance Josh Jacobs get done. So I didn't think it was spin, but they were like really upfront with him. So even like our spin kind of doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is the Raiders talking to him, and I think they were really like transparent upfront about what happened and how close they got.
Speaker 5: I want to shift gears because I feel like over these summer months there have been these sometimes valid, invalid, but just whispers that Bill Belichick Robert Kraft in New England, like, is tention there?
Speaker 3: Do they really want?
Speaker 9: I saw that there was a Tom Karran thing that I.
Speaker 5: Saw and like, like, I mean, you know, you hear about how crappt I thought, went out of his way to defend Matt Patricia and what happened last year. To some degree, he's gone out of his way to praise Jared Mayo and the fact that they really love him so much, Like is there a world where Bill Belichick is on the hot seat to some degree this season?
Speaker 9: I I don't view it like that. First of all, I think they're gonna be fine, or maybe more than fine. I think, you know, Bill O'Brien was a very good hire. I think mac Jones was not coached very well at all last year, and like, I don't know how you're supposed to judge a second year quarterback when he gets injured and then was coach poorly, Like that's just a nothing against Matt Patricia. Like good defensive coach, he just is not an offensive coordinator. I just they need to do better. But are you asking me, like do I think Robert Kraft would like outright fire Bill Belichick after the season, Like I don't see it like that.
Speaker 5: Is there is there tension there?
Speaker 9: I mean I don't. I think they agree on how to move forward, and they agreed on where things needed to go after last season, which was not good enough. I think they would both like to win. But like to me, tension is like one side wants one thing, the other side wants something different. Like I don't think this is like a GM and an owner or coach and an owner not on the same page. I think it's most like both wish there were more wins, but I think they're okay as far as like how to proceed.
Speaker 6: Belichick like mentioning the amount of actual cash they were spending, to me was an eye opener.
Speaker 2: A red flat.
Speaker 1: Here's the quote from Craft that was in March when asked.
Speaker 9: We were all standing in the flowers in March.
Speaker 1: Yes, whether Bill's job could be in jeopardy, and Craft said, look, I'd like him to break Don Chilo's record, but I'm not that's for all time wins reread coaches. But I'm not looking for any of our players to get great stats. We're about winning and doing whatever we can to win, and that's what our focus is now. And this is where I thought it was interesting, and it's very important to me that we make the playoffs and that's what I hope happens next year, which led to me and a lot of other people saying that don't sound very close to a playoffs or bust mandate from the owner. But of course this isn't just any other coach. But you're so you don't see it that way. It's there's too much history for it to be as straightforward as that.
Speaker 9: It's the greatest coach of all time, right, And I know this whole organization has been built on not caring as much about the records, whatever individual records, whatever they are, right, but about to become the greatest coach of all time, and like, let's say they go eight to nine this year, I don't know, miss the playoffs. They need still be nine away from the all time record. I don't think that's a reason to keep anyone. But I don't see Robert Craft being like, all right, you're out, Drod Mayo, come in. I just I would be beyond.
Speaker 1: Some You used to cover the Pats for the Herald back in the day. Do you ever have any texts with Bill just about golf or anything else?
Speaker 9: Uh? I will decline to answer that question. Bon Jovi is he still a bon Jovie fanderd? He kind of moved on thought that was.
Speaker 6: Actually, like, so you return his text, just not not mine.
Speaker 9: One of my favorite Bill Belichick interactions was I ran into him an Indie and for the combine, and like, you know, I hadn't seen him in a little bit, and so I was like, this is great, Like we'll get to catch up. And I'm thinking, like we're going to talk about football, and he's just gonna tell me everyone they're going to sign in free agency. And that ended up being a thirty minute conversation on horse racing MM and like a full breakdown of like which track is best to watch races on and like why he loves it and like why I love it? And then about fashion and women's fashion and hats. It was amazing.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's the podcast. I need Bill Belichick on women's horse racing fashion.
Speaker 9: If you if you wanted Bill Belichick on this podcast, which obviously had a big shooes to fill after today, but I think you could probably get him if you were like, listen, here's what we're gonna ask you about no football and just all the like non football topics that he loves so so much.
Speaker 1: Can you make a note of this. We're gonna have a post production media about how to pitch Bill last question because we know you gotta go busy man.
Speaker 9: But they're getting so many texts or tomorrow, so many texts and calls during this conversation.
Speaker 1: So Josh McDaniels will see what happens with him this year, Bill Belichick probably safe, but maybe not. In a couple of weeks, we do our annual hot butt rankings of head coaches. Like last year, for example, everyone's like, call Matt Ruhle his his butts on fire, and sure enough it was. Do you sense any coaches out there that are under an immensive amount of pressure at the rule level to you know, survive to Halloween.
Speaker 9: For instance, I don't sense anybody like that. Like I think last year going in, I think we all kind of knew, like, all right, maybe the Panthers if they don't win, it could be. It's not it's not really like that this year. Now, these things can happen so fast that I certainly did not see Frank Reid coming last year. So this, you know, the way a season materializes, like I can you know, these can kind of take a shape of its own.
Speaker 1: But I don't.
Speaker 9: I mean maybe if you like, you could read through the list of teams and I could come up with.
Speaker 6: Somebody, this is a hope season. You're about to visit half these teams you don't want to be uh well, it's also like so like I was at the Rams today, Commanders is an obvious one if they don't win, just new owner new owners, like, but they're not going to do it like during the season necessarily, But I'm saying that we probably need to get it, get a winning record.
Speaker 9: They're probably one, but like they also could like they also could be good.
Speaker 6: All these teams could be good. The Browns if they think, you would think we'll make a change.
Speaker 9: But like Deshaun Watson, only on the field, Deshaun Watson has been a very very very very good quarterback except for last year. Like I still think he's gonna end up as a very good player, and if that's the case, they should be good. But like the Rams are a good example. I went there yes yesterday. Yeah, I have no earthly idea how good the Rams are gonna be. They are very young, they still have some really good players, but they have a lot of players I have not heard of. And they have a coach who's in a much better place this year, and I think is gonna love coaching this team. So they could finish four and thirteen, or they could finish ten and seven.
Speaker 6: I have no idea If they are two and five at the trading deadline, though, don't you think they're a team. I'm kind of circling for that. And the Titans would maybe be another where the trade deadline doesn't pop too much in the NFL. Maybe the Bucks teams they have some veterans. If they're really buried, I would think that the Rams, I don't know, Like Matthew Stould think about pivoting.
Speaker 9: Right, but like then it's like a lot of sound. That's the problem with the trade deadline, and like I know it's the way it's constructed, so whatever, but likely it's so hard to move someone with a big salary in October nobody has the space or whenever the trade deadline is.
Speaker 5: But in LA though, Brandon Staley, he's someone I feel like if they flounder again after the way last season ended. Talented young coach, but like that feels sort of hot seatish to me.
Speaker 9: Uh, I mean two new coordinators and sometimes two new coordinators is the start of something not good. Also, like I think Kellen Moore is gonna be really really good and they should be running more of Staley's defense this year. Like if they're strangely bad, I would say it could get late early there. But they should be good, you know, like they have really good players, like they should be. I think they should be really good.
Speaker 1: Ian Rapaport, You've said it all. I didn't even need to be the peacemaker this time because they're just tranquil vibes here much more.
Speaker 2: Comfortable before this season.
Speaker 6: I mean, I just met Lee yuh, Ian's lovely wife, he is kind of a power move.
Speaker 2: But I appreciated it.
Speaker 6: I think it's the first spouse I've ever seen brought to the content summit. But you have to be high enough on the totem pole. I think this is what I'm talking about. But you know what, everyone, I talked some tennis.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It was great.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 5: I hope you didn't have to sit through that.
Speaker 6: She's a sable Antha fan, which really impresses me.
Speaker 3: All right, gotta go, all right, there he goes, He said it all.
Speaker 1: Where could he be going?
Speaker 2: Who's the call from? Just say it?
Speaker 1: What could it really be? That's that important?
Speaker 2: It's like a sourcer.
Speaker 5: He completely forgot it. We existed as he exited this room.
Speaker 1: I know, but you I think it's and thank you to Ian for coming. Yeah, definitely, Like it makes him feel like a big man to walk out on the phone like that, Just drop the headset and get on the phone and walk out.
Speaker 7: He was talking to somebody's I don't think he's I don't think coming out of the phone, I don't know if I don't know if it was anybody, I don't think he could.
Speaker 1: I was a full performance and I think, Wow, it's the brand. It's a way to show this was a thing I did. Like you said, it's already forgotten because now I'm on the phone with Bill Belichick.
Speaker 5: For sure.
Speaker 6: Well it's a crutch, but it's also an assist. Kyle Brandt always points out when he does the photo recap of like the ten NFL Talent photo, it's always rap sheet with the phone like he's looking at the phone.
Speaker 2: So it's sort of branding.
Speaker 6: It's his bit, but it also gets him out of uncolored having to interact with lesser.
Speaker 1: He can we get an instant replay of him storming out of the studio. You have those capabilities, kicks the chair back as he leaves, not in real time.
Speaker 2: We work on that in post.
Speaker 1: All right, we're going to hire someone one hundred and ninety seven thousand dollars a year just to have us like a slow motion replay retainer. But maybe maybe on Instagram people would see the walkout by Yeah, we can make that happen. All right, good stuff. Any takeaways from that? I think I agree with him. I thought it was good because and Ian knows how things work on the Patriot Way because he lived up there and covered that team, So I think that there is something to be said for what he was putting. That was like, yeah, we read the quote or see the quote from Craft, and it makes it seem like it's a cut and dry thing, because almost any other owner you see that be like, yes, that is very clear that that team needs to win nine or ten games or else. But I think Craft is not a guy it's gonna do anything in a hasty manner. I think he's an excellent owner, and it would take something truly. I think we talked about pell Raiser. It'd be a hell raising in New England, like a four and thirteen. That schedule is social fighting.
Speaker 6: Even his scenario he laid out to me, I immediately thought, worst case scenario. If he won eight games and he was nine away from beating Sula, then I'm just thinking, well, what if he wins like eight games the next year and then he's won away for like that, The whole thing could be excruciating and sad. So the thing that they they got to do is just win ten games, win eleven game, sprite some people, and then I don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 5: I thought what he pointed out though, was that there isn't like it's not setting the table for a clash. They want the same things. But another milk toast season by the Patriots puts you in a weird place.
Speaker 1: Milk toast, Yes, I think it's a little uncomfortable. I do think. And we'll see because we all fall into the trap and we did last you know, last year. The AFC West AFC East looks very good on paper. If it really did play out where the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills were all big time teams and the Pats go five and twelve, then what like what would what would necessitate some type of like watershed moment in New England?
Speaker 3: It might be a true cratering. I don't see it happening, but I mean.
Speaker 5: I just from the craft tangle for the point that he's not like a knee jerk reaction type guy. Like if you're Robert crafton you move on from Bill Belichick, you have to follow that up with another coach who people are going to be comparing to Bill Belichick. He needs to succeed right away. You don't want to be that person, although everybody want, You.
Speaker 1: Don't want to be the guy. You want to be a guy that replaces the guy.
Speaker 6: I feel like we know the guy unless Belichick it starts hitting hot streak and lasts another five years, which is possible. And that guy's Jared Mayo.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I'm just I'm just saying, if I'm Jared Mayo, you want to follow up Bill Belichick, I want to do that.
Speaker 6: Well, that's the thing is, things are different this year. Craft released this statement about that Mayo hiring, which they never do. They actually finally break not it's not breaking news, but they did finally on the Patriots website tell the public just if you click coaches, who the Patriots coaches are this year?
Speaker 5: But that was just this week, and Joe Judge was and.
Speaker 6: There's only like again, it's only like seven of them and four are related to Belichick, and.
Speaker 5: Judge was essentially promoted, which is mysterious.
Speaker 2: Joe Judge was promoted to man some people, man some people.
Speaker 1: All right, good stuff. Thank you again to rap Sheet for joining us, and we will be back with one more show this week. So thank you for being along on the ride. As we you know, the beginning of training camp and as we head toward a new year. We are rolling now.
Speaker 3: Now let us go, Mark the floor is yours to say goodbye, well.
Speaker 1: Farewell to you, you being the listeners, farewell.
Speaker 2: It's like two A days to call
Speaker 1: H