Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Presspass podcast. It is Thursday, June thirteenth, and the Ravens wrapped up their three day mandatory mini camp today. As the teams concluded mandatory mini camp, we had a chance to hear from some of the guys as well as head coach Sean Harball. So let's kick things off with Coach Hardball.
Speaker 2: All right, good to see everybody really appreciate you being here. The Marine Corps Foundation that we have here a ward of three scholarships for academic excellence, and we're really proud of doing that. And these three young people are amazing people. You right over there where they are. Come on, you three, come on up here, come on up here. Yeah, I just wanna want you to do what we make our players do. So you gotta get up, yahs me and you're up here too good. We're gonna get up to the mic, and you're gonna tell them your name, all right, where you're from, what school you go to, maybe what your major is or something like that if you want. But you're gonna study and just just tell them who you are. Okay, we'll just go one at a time that you can just head right back sound good.
Speaker 3: Congratulations.
Speaker 1: My name is Ryan TRAVESI I go to McDaniel College. I am from Harvard County, Maryland, and I am studying environmental studies with a specialization in biology.
Speaker 4: Graduations, I'm Jealan Fish from Bowie Merlin. I'm a rising senior at UVA History major and member of the track and field team.
Speaker 3: I'm Yasmin f Megid.
Speaker 1: I'm from Baltimore County and I go to Dartmouth and I'm.
Speaker 3: A Gove major. Wow.
Speaker 2: Congratulations our future leaders right there. Congratulations?
Speaker 3: How about that? That impressive? So that's a resume, right there's big credentials.
Speaker 2: So we had a good practice and we're excited about out what we've accomplished, looking forward to where we're going. Uh, even though the players will be away, they'll still be training and working to get ready for training camp and what's in store there.
Speaker 3: So that's our next step. What question do you have.
Speaker 5: John, He's did see Marling out there and we haven't seen him and he'll do a lot of it.
Speaker 2: What's what's Yeah, just nagging things he'll be he'll he should be ready for training camp.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't be a problem coach we have.
Speaker 4: We'll see Charlie Klar got a little buffer this year.
Speaker 6: Is that a little boost of confidence for his position?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he looks good. Charlie's worked really hard.
Speaker 2: He has put on a lot of muscle, lean muscle mass, and I know he's committed to, you know, all the aspects of being a good tight end.
Speaker 3: He wants to be a really good blocker.
Speaker 2: I mean that's important to him and uh you know he's preparing himself just for that.
Speaker 6: A pro bowler, been here for all voluntary workouts. Man a big day to day with us play. This has a game by example of guys.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what he does to I mean he does lead by example. Not he doesn't, but he does it every way. And he's also a vocal leader. He's also a kind of an inspirational leader. He does it on the field, he does it in the weight room, he does it in the meeting room. He's just he's one of those guys, you know, one of those special kind of guys.
Speaker 7: Coach, are guys able to separate it all without pads on the offensive line?
Speaker 3: Uh No, not really, not really. That's that'll be for training camp.
Speaker 2: I think they've done all those guys have done what they need to do in terms of preparing for that. But that'll happen first few weeks of training camp and then on into the preseason games.
Speaker 3: We'll see where we go.
Speaker 5: What you considering a candeer ishmail the tight endslhim working some individual caneer Ishmael was working with the tight ends for individuals.
Speaker 6: Is that a consideration of.
Speaker 5: Having him work in in that position or just exploring options?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think it's exploring options and so everything nowadays you put them in groups, you call them tight ends and wide receivers, but a lot of times they do the same jobs, you know, So having them over the work on some of those techniques was what we were doing. And he'll probably be kind of an inside receiver type of a guy. Not say he couldn't go outside and go getes and things like that, he's so big, but I would say he's really he's really looked good. I mean, he's had a nice camp signs a tryout player. Obviously he's got a family pedigree. It's incredible, but he's doing it on all his own and he's he's made a couple of catches today. Look good out there, Like you know what we can do over the last couple of years, and he's made quite a few wild plays this week.
Speaker 6: How Pus' been with his name?
Speaker 2: Happy with Isaiah, I guess as expected, you know, and work ethic too, locked in every single day, been here every day. Another guy who's been here every day. Have so many of the guys that have done that, and it shows. So he's talented. He's gonna be a big part of what we do.
Speaker 7: Joying.
Speaker 4: A few days ago, you told Jerry Coleman that one of your big takeaways from AC Championship is that you want to get the ball more in the quarterbacks hands.
Speaker 1: What does that look like you so far?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're talking about all the pre snap stuff, operational type stuff at the line and in the huddle, out of the huddle at the line, try to make some decisions at the line in terms of growing the offense in that direction. It's looked good, good, but we still have a long way to go. I think everybody would tell you that we've got a lot of work to do with that, and it will be an ongoing process throughout the season for sure, but that's the direction we're going.
Speaker 6: John. Obviously, though I had to take for Trenton six instead of at innsis linebacker. How he's handled out this string running with the WANs teams, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Think I think he has looked really good. You know, I think he's done a great job. Trenton is uh, he's he's a quick learner. Something even as simple as pump protection footwork, which he was as he played a little bit as a rookie first couple of days of the Phase.
Speaker 3: Two stuff, he really didn't look very good with the footwork.
Speaker 2: You know, like everything else, we're chasing perfection and we're confronting every issue. We confronted the punt footwork, and now he looks fantastic. I mean, he's perfect in what he's doing out there. I think that is kind of an example of all the other stuff he's doing on defense.
Speaker 3: He knows what he's doing out there. Now.
Speaker 2: The next step will be training camp, preseason games and on from there.
Speaker 3: John records another.
Speaker 6: Six down out of town paid. He feels a little quicker than last year.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: There the games that the questioning Paul about how we got kind of.
Speaker 6: You get him Chunch in the office saw that looked out. How do you say that they've an answer of growing or you.
Speaker 3: Know, how do you how do you do that? That will kind of.
Speaker 9: A sea that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it'll it'll it'll evolve kind of the direction that goes in terms of where the offense goes and what we need. But there's always gonna be a requirement for a guy like Pat. If you have a guy like Pat and uh, I mean the questions last year were pretty much kind of debunked and he played a lot, and I think that's gonna be the same thing this year. I mean, you got a good football player, you gott put him out there. So he'll be out there playing and we'll find a lot of a lot of great roles for him to do. I mean, the nice thing is he can he can actually run routes and catch the ball, you know, and that's something that people kind of take for granted that he wouldn't be able to do. He's always I mean, I can remember I can remember Coach Phillips out here. I love Coach Phillips out here when his defensive coordinator for the Rams basically saying, you know what, what's Pat's number?
Speaker 3: Forty two?
Speaker 2: He goes, don't cover forty two. He's a defensive Lineman. You know, very next play touchdown passing the flat. You know that's right, don't cover forty two.
Speaker 5: John, what's kind of the getaway message to the guys and you know, kind of your message to them as they go on this kind of six week break on their own before Rob.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of good messages, probably the ones you'd expect to hear, but it really is an intentionality to everything we do. Uh, there should be a plan in terms of what we're trying to accomplish every day. You know, So what are you trying accomplish for the next weeks that lead into training camp to put you in position to have the best training camp, to handle the loads involved, become the best team we can be, and to be intentional about that every single day. That's the you know, the core of the message.
Speaker 7: Washington, a guy that's definitely intreats kind of flashed out there and practice a lot.
Speaker 6: Or gariusa Washing.
Speaker 2: I thought there's gonna be more are uh he our Darius looked really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I feel great about him.
Speaker 2: Uh, he's I think he established, he's already established himself. I mean, you know, he's played in the game every game, he's played and he's played well, he's looked great in practice, and uh, let's get him out there and get him in some more games. I think that's the goal. Coach, knowing that he came control the rob Away, Lamar was bench brush songs atout.
Speaker 4: Trying to get these guys together.
Speaker 6: Or is he or hope that they will get together?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's how you word the question.
Speaker 2: Obviously he was he was going to get try to get those guys together, and he's excited about that.
Speaker 3: And that's great, that's cool, John excited. I'm looking forward to it, you know.
Speaker 2: I guess I mean, how excited was I to face off against him and drive away when we were playing you know, one on one hockey or one on one basketball wrestling and when my dad said put the gloves on, going to the basement if you want to fight each other all the time.
Speaker 3: So I guess it was kind of exciting.
Speaker 2: But then again, you know, it wasn't that great, you know, especially when he got bigger, you got to be more a little more challenging. So I think more than that day will come when it comes. So we're not really thinking about it too much, but when it comes, it'll be kind of cool. It'll be it'll be a start.
Speaker 9: Taking the chances.
Speaker 6: The quarterback. Why, what have you see from the end of his train?
Speaker 3: I think the leaks look good.
Speaker 2: At wide receiver, he's he's shown a lot of a lot of speed, a lot of quickness, kind of a natural, kind of a natural at the position.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: And he also I've seen that he understands the game from the perspective of the quarterback. So routes and coverage and timing and things.
Speaker 3: Like that have been excellent.
Speaker 1: We also talked with a pair of veterans, including veteran outside linebacker Kyle van Noy, who resigned with the team this offseason. He discussed the decision to return here to Baltimore and the expectations he has for the upcoming season.
Speaker 3: Feel great, How do you feel good?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Excited to be here, pump to be a raven pump to go in to year eleven. Not many people get to say they did that. I beat Aaron Donald in one thing, right?
Speaker 7: How is it coming in after some time under your belt? Last year you performed remarkably well from coming off the couch here.
Speaker 6: Now you've had a chance changing numbers up I mean now you're a raven. How much different does it get you?
Speaker 8: You know, the biggest difference is that everybody knows me now, right the staff behind the scenes, just getting to know them and their families, knowing them, just that relationship and just coming back with the guys that I already know, having that relationship with guys like Kyle Hamilton, Rokwan.
Speaker 3: Doff and Jabo.
Speaker 8: Just guys like that that you get to come back with with familiar faces and get to know better. And just knowing the defense. I mean, that helps coming back and you know what you're doing. That just makes you and allows you to play a little bit faster.
Speaker 3: In January, did you have the sense that you would be that Yeah.
Speaker 8: I always keep an open mind to everything. I felt like we had a good relationship and it was open communication. We felt like it was benefit to both parties. And I'm happy to be here. Appreciate boss Man, mister B and DC and Harves for making that happen. Just pumped to be back with the teammates and you know, repent for our sins after last year.
Speaker 2: As you were making your decision, how much of a factor did it play that Zach War was gonna be stepping.
Speaker 3: Into mag McDonald's year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I love Zeo, big fan of his, have been since he's played. He played the right way when he played, and he coaches the right way too. You know, Mike mack going on moving on, congrats to him again, Like it's awesome to see him and his efforts of what he did and he got the benefits of that of becoming a head coach, which I believe he was ready for, and Zeo stepping in and he's gonna do a great job. He has a relationship, I would say, with everybody on defense, and you don't see that everywhere you go. Zeo passions himself on relationships and communication. He does. He's done a really good job of communicating what he wants done and you better do it.
Speaker 3: Some of the biggest differences you've seen.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't think I'll go into the specifics of that because you know, they both stem from the same tree, right, but they're both different at the same time. You know, Mike McDonald had his style and Zo has his style. I'm excited about Zeo's style. I think, uh, it's going to continue to flood into the NFL because of what they've been able to do here for so long, and I believe we're going to be a very very good defense.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 8: And it starts with him and then, uh, it starts with the rest of the players, executing all eleven of us each and every play.
Speaker 6: It seems like that can be.
Speaker 1: Kind of aggressive plays that kind of reality.
Speaker 3: Do you know he's aggressive?
Speaker 1: Do you think that the piece of his you know, as he calls plays, you know, his early years.
Speaker 8: That that can be the piece of Yeah. I he was a g aggressive player, So I think that's what you're gonna wanna see him as a decoordinator as be aggressive, But he's also gonna be He's really smart, very very smart. He knows defenses. Uh, he's he eats breeze, sleeps uh football. And that's what you want playing for a coach like that who has literally dedicated his I believe it's thirty two years now of just straight football.
Speaker 6: Where is your your thoughts on a young second player Robinson? Yeah, playing alongside what we see from him, you know his beat.
Speaker 8: Yeah, honestly getting better every day. And I know that's cliche to say, but he's honestly getting better each and every day. He's doing the right things. And I when every time you understand concepts and defenses and you graduate from football one on one to football one oh two, you're gonna see improvements. And I think just his familiarity of understanding the defense more and more each day, he's allowed to play faster, play with more confidence and swagger. And that's I think what we're gonna see this year, Kyle.
Speaker 9: Last year you just had to jump into action. This year, you're gonna spend more time with the team, the coaches, the staff. Like you said, are you finding benefits in that, both like for yourself and for your ability to lead the defense?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think it's it's good because the I'd say this without you know, saying it in the wrong way. The bullets aren't flying yet, so you get you get a better understanding that things are a little bit more. You can build relationships you're not you know, on the field, you know, popping in week three actions, going on, hey, you know, what's your name type of deal. So it's fun to be around guys that I know and get to know them their families, hang out with them off the field, build that relationship to when things get on the field and a little hazy, you have a better understanding where each and every persons coming from. Way.
Speaker 7: You spent a lot of time with the You saw him obviously growing last year.
Speaker 6: Just knowing it's down and where where he could grow.
Speaker 5: Where do you think his ceiling is or how much better did he even from where he's already done.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's impressive, man, He's a specimen. Really enjoyed working with him building that relationship. I think he kind of I try to keep him next to me all the time and make sure he's, you know, always pressing and doing the right thing. And you know, I expect high high I expect more from him than myself. You know, I really expect him to bounce off the charts this year. He showed a lot of signs last year, but I think him gaining confidence, you know, understanding who he is. He's still maturing. I just asked him how the hell old was he today? And he said twenty five, and I was like, oh, you know, it's amazing to see how mature he's gotten already. And I'm excited to see his future. And I'll be his cheerleader, that's for sure, because I'm I'm sorry I'm saying this again, but I'm really excited to see his how high of his ceiling he can get to.
Speaker 6: Well to ask last.
Speaker 5: Season, how much did that rejuvenate you in your career? And you're talking about expectations for oh Way, you know, coming off that year. What are the expectations for yourself coming.
Speaker 9: Into this season?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I just want to continue to show myself and show people that I can still play at a high level. I feel like I've been underappreciated in my career. I feel like I don't think I've lost a step in my eyes just because I've I've been playing different positions my entire career. In college, I played on the ball, and then in the NFL for my first I think it was till twenty nineteen, I played off the ball, and I would love to see how many people could stay in the league making that transformation or I've been asked to do both in one season. So I've been asked to do a lot, and I think that may have hindered some things because I wasn't able to like focus on you know, pass rush or you know, you know, covering people. I was never able to focus on just one specific thing. And this year stemming to last year, I was able to focus on pass rushing that entire time. So I feel like, hopefully, you know, it'll be like my third year ever out of my eleven, then I get a focus on just pass rushing. The other year was in twenty nineteen where I had a really good year, and then last year was just all pass rush. So I'm expecting big things from myself and hopefully you guys are too.
Speaker 1: Safety Marcus Williams is also a really important player on this scene. He dealt with an injury last year that hindered him for much of the season, but he played through it. Clearly did not want to talk about his injury on Thursday. His focus is on the future. Here's what he had to say in his time with the media.
Speaker 6: Last year, the injury, how much I guess, how how much moment not the ball was it?
Speaker 7: You guys, Uh, injuries happened in the year, and you just got to overcome those injuries and you know, just push past them, which I think I'm pretty good at doing.
Speaker 6: Mark been one of those goal players.
Speaker 9: In the field the last couple of weeks. Is that your natural personality come out or are you more intentionally embracing that leadership role in the second Aarreya.
Speaker 7: I mean I've always been a leader, I've always been vocal. I mean that's just something I've been doing. I mean, if you've been out here the last couple of years that I've been here, I've been doing the same thing. So it's nothing new to me. I mean, it's it's just something that's true to me.
Speaker 2: Mark, what was your reaction Zach Org got the decordinator job, and you know how much have you interacted with him and the previous two years.
Speaker 7: I'm excited. You know, you got a guy who's been out there on the field, done what we've done, and and now he's transitioning to the DC job, which I think is doing a good job of. Right now, he's gonna put it to some some good positions to make some plays and you know, dialup, dialed up. So I'm excited to see, you know, what our future holds for for this year. And I hope he, you know, comes out there and does exactly what he knows he's gonna do. What do you think is Zacht has to look like his defense. I'm surprised at the ascension of Kyle Hamilton, And do you take any responsibility in helping him to get to.
Speaker 6: The level where he is now.
Speaker 7: Kyle has always been a good player. You know, he's worked his butt off day in and day out. I mean, you know, I helped him here and there, but that's all. That's all he's doing. That's his work, his off season work, his film room work. You know, I don't take credit for any of the stuff that he'd done. You know, he's a great player. He's putting the time and the effort to go out there and make those plays. He's confident and you see that by his play. So I think just him just putting that time in and respecting the process. He comes out there and he performs.
Speaker 6: He played through that injury, right through that injury last year.
Speaker 9: How eager are you to show everybody what you.
Speaker 6: Can do when you're too fully functioning?
Speaker 7: My charms, yeah, I mean my arms are always functioning. It's not about showing anybody Anything's about showing myself what I could do. I never worry about showing anybody what I could do. I just stay true to me, go out there, perform to the best of my ability, no matter what's going on. And and that's just as football players you gotta you know, overcome adversity and face that looking an eye and and just never give up.
Speaker 1: In the secondary, like yourself, young players and talking out, but what do you think the expectations are the secondary.
Speaker 7: I think we just gotta, you know, find that identity coming out in training camp. I mean, that's the that's the most important thing. Have that good camaraderie. And I think, you know, this is the new years. This is not who we were last year. So now we gotta you know, bond over again and and reconnect on that level. But I think we'll be some you know, high playmakers back there, you know, physical guys attacking the ball and take the ball away.
Speaker 5: Marcus Alono's line, if you guys have used a lot of free safety books the last couple of years, and obviously Jenas would gone like a free.
Speaker 9: Agency would have been some of your impuestions, especially with Kyle missing a little bit of time recently.
Speaker 6: But are they arius Washington trade woring some of those young safeties and.
Speaker 7: Work last Yeah? I mean we I mean it's always been like next man of mentality if even if somebody's not here right now, we're all still working and he's still out here acting as if he's a coach. Kyle thinks he's a coach now or something. But nah, I think they're doing a great job learning to playbook, and everybody's pretty much in interchangeable in our defense, So everybody learns every position so they know what to do. And I think just going out there and having it in practice helping us perform for the upcoming seasons.
Speaker 6: A million rankings that come out without players. I think you and Kyle somebody could have something to say. It's the best safety in the league. Just your thoughts about that and kind of what you too want to share together this year.
Speaker 7: Uh, rankings don't mean anything. I mean, performance from last year is not performed from this year. We know we could do. We know what type of players we are. You know, we're confident in ourselves. I mean, I think I'm the best. He thinks he's the best, So everybody thinks they're the best. But who who performs the best? You know what I mean? So, I mean, I think our expectation is to be our best, to excel past our best and go out there and perform and help us win some games.
Speaker 6: What's the message as a US.
Speaker 9: Right now?
Speaker 7: It's just you know, stay smart, you know, get your mind right, get ready for the season. Get healthy because it's a long season the head.
Speaker 6: You don't physically fast yourself.
Speaker 7: I've been myself. I mean, this has been me. You ask by injuries. I'm gonna tell you the same thing I've been me. This is me. I'm gonna just keep it.
Speaker 3: Tell you to get better.
Speaker 6: What are your pressure to get so far?
Speaker 3: Too fast?
Speaker 7: Man? He's fast, He's in and out of braks. I think he's gonna be a good player for us. I mean there's just been oka, but you see him flying around already. So once these paths come on, you know, we'll see a little bit more what he could do. So I'm excited for that.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. There's no press conferences on the immediate horizons, so no press Pass until that happens. But as always, if you want a full rundown of anything happening with the team, as well as some interviews that we have planned coming your way, make sure you head over to the Lounge podcast feed hit that subscribe button as well as subscribing to the Ravens Press Past podcast as well. We'll be back with you coming up soon. Thank you so much for listening, and have a great day.