Speaker 1: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb, and we have another vault episode for you. Since this is a holiday week for us, this is going to be a Monstrous Feast, which originally published eleven, twenty one, twenty twenty four. So yes, this is our this is our feast themed episode, and it's going to get into some questionable recent inventions of the culinary variety and also some monstrous dishes of the past.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is.
Speaker 3: Robert Lamb and I am Joe McCormick. Hey, what are we talking about today.
Speaker 1: Rob, Oh, we're getting into feasting season here, Joe. So we're going to do what we've done in the past, devote an episode to food, but not just you know, just any food. In the past, we've talked about dangerous foods. We did several episodes on that. You can find those if you go back into the archives. But this time we're going to be talking particularly about some various feast dishes, some outrageous feast dishes, and then also some sort of related tangential subject matter that's sort of swirling around those dishes.
Speaker 3: Now, I am salivating at the thought of the beauties and the grotesqueries to follow.
Speaker 1: Yes, historic dishes of over indulgence, you might call them, and such dishes exist throughout the history of human feasting. As long as human populations have even periodically experienced surplus and or inequality, there's been room for dishes that simply go above and beyond what seems reasonable. Decadent delicacies occupied the tables of the ancient Romans. We'll mention a few, and of course still to this day we find such dishes on our tables.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I know you got crankin' on this topic because you were interested in one particular example from history, right.
Speaker 1: That's right, one that you know I think I've had like a vague familiarity with for a long time because I feel like I've seen depictions of it before. I'm really struggling to figure out if I've actually seen a depiction of this in a film or TV show. But it's possible because it's a great way to sort of center what's going on in your setting. But yeah, we're going to turn to fifteenth century Europe, So the Middle Ages are giving way to the first stirrings of the Renaissance, and it's just prime time to sew a suckling pig and a chicken together and serve it to a bunch of nobles and royals. A lot of great things come out of the Renaissance, yes, but there are some. There are some real clunkers that come out of it as well. And this and this, I don't know. This could be one of them. I have not tried it, I will not be trying it, but it is not impossible that some of you out there have tried it. The addition question is the cock and trice not to be confused with another word that you may find not in a menu from a tutor England, but more likely in a bestiary.
Speaker 3: That's right, So this other word is cock a trice rather than cock en trice. It's easy to confuse the two. They are phonetically similar, spelled similarly, but different things altogether. Now I'm not going to go extremely deep here because the cockatrice subject will have some overlap with our past discussions of the mythical monster known as the basilisk. These creatures were in many cases, not all, but in many cases treated as the same thing. A cockatrice is sort of a loosely defined monster, usually combining Avian and reptilian features or associations. Sometimes it is kind of straightforwardly a wivern. It's like a dragon with two legs, no little t rex arms, just the two legs and then two wings, and then a rooster's head. It appears in this form or roughly this form in some medieval manuscripts and some heraldry, but in other cases it's described as a kind of fantastically venomous serpent, or as a serpent that hatches from a cock's egg, sometimes after like a cock egg, is incubated by a reptile or a toad. Generally, a cockatrice is bad news. It is a venomous monster or a monster that kills everything around it. Though there is an interesting literary history of this word, because if you go reading the King James translation of the Bible, you will find lots of references to the cockatrice as a kind of beast or venomous monster. A couple of examples I dug up. One is from the Book of Isaiah, chapter fifty nine, verses four to five, which say none calleth for justice, nor any pleadeth for truth. They trust in vanity and speak lies. They conceive mischief and bring forth iniquity. They hatch cockatrice eggs and weave the spider's web. He that eateth of their eggs dieth, and that which is crushed breaketh out into a viper. Common theme you will get in some of the Old Testament books of the prophets, is, you know, comparing wickedness and sin and lack of moral virtue to venomous animals and predatory animals, dangerous beasts.
Speaker 1: So no hatching cockatrice eggs. That's what I'm taking for the scripture.
Speaker 3: That's not a good thing to do. You bring forth iniquity. Another good one I found just this one was a little pithier. This is from the Book of Jeremiah, chapter eight, verse seventeen, again the King James translation. It says, for behold, I will send serpents cockatrices among you, which will not be charmed, and they shall bite you, saith the Lord.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, let's say to the point.
Speaker 3: They shall bite you. Now. The word cockatrice does not appear in later translations of the Bible that are better informed about what the original Greek and Hebrew words that are being translated usually mean. The English usage of cockatrice in the Bible traces back to John Wickliffe's English translation of the Old Testament, in which a Hebrew word that probably originally referred to like a snake of venomous reptile is taken as referring to this strange monster which was already sort of in consciousness, in part derived from stories that go back to plenty of the Elder and I think we've actually talked about these stories before in our episodes on the Basilisk. But the cockatrice also has some interesting etymological confusion in its history because the English word cockatrice is recorded as far back as Late Middle English. It's derived from an Old French term cockatrice, which in turn comes from the Latin calcatrix. So it's not actually related to the English word or the French word cock, which meaning like you know, a rooster, which that's the imagery we see in like this heraldry, where it's a dragon with a rooster's head or somehow a cock's egg that is hatched in conjunction with reptile interference. Instead, it goes back to the Latin calcatrix, which means she who treads. The Latin verb here is calcare, meaning to tread, So a calcatrix is a female entity who treads. So there's some more word confusion for you, but the main point being that a cockatrice is a monster and a cockin trice is something completely different. It is the food that we're about to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can't promise that the word is just going to get any easier to digest, but yeah, the cock and trice, to be clear, is a composite dish. So in the front you have a suckling pig and in the back a turkey or capon. Capon is a neutered male chicken. So the result is a feast item of intrigue, as if the folks present for the meal are being served not an animal of the mundane world, but rather some fantastic hybrid that you know belongs, perhaps in a bestiary alongside the cock a trice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, make you monsters out of our food, a tradition that is not entirely gone. By the way, I'm sure many people listening have seen like viral images of this sort that get shared around the internet. One that very much sticks in my mind is whoever first had the idea to make a face hugger from the Alien series out of like a turkey's body with some crab legs on the side, and then a tail made out of like a stuffed sausage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's send me that photo. It's quite horrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes you want to eat them, you know.
Speaker 1: And you know even you know, vegans and vegetari get in on the action as well. I know in my household it has become a tradition. On Halloween we make a dish that is known by a few different names. You and I, I think both know it as feet of meat. It has also been called feet loaf. I know Amy Sedaris calls it as such, but essentially it is meat loafer. In our case, we was like, you know, imitation meat that takes the form of one or two disembodied bloody feet.
Speaker 3: Beautiful. That's so nice.
Speaker 1: So you know, I can't be too judging about all this because I totally do it as well. Now, as for the cockin trice here, I looked up some more info on this in a book from Terry Breverton called The tutor kitchen, and he goes into a little more detail here mentions that the way you make one of these things is that you first of all, you of course butcher the two animals in question, and then once you've butchered them, you know you've removed everything. You know, you don't need to be part of the finished meal, you know how butchering works. You stitch these together, then you stuff it as you would often stuff, you know, various feast items, as turkeys are still stuffed to this day, you know, for Thanksgiving in America. And then you roast it on a spit per, you know, the usual treatment of the day. Now. Originally the dish, according to Breverton, was known as cocka gris in this or perhaps catt agris, and this is combining the words for cock and gris a suckling pig. That being said, it does I mean, I couldn't find much where people are really talking about the the the comparison between these two words. It seems to me that if the word for the monster cock a trice is at all in some form like floating around in one's vocabulary, then cock in trice is some sort of an allusion to that but I couldn't find any hard answers on that. There are also various other spellings for the food item here the cock and trice, as well as fifteenth century recipes that lay out the steps to produce one. And this has long been a novelty. It was a novelty when it was served on the tables and Tutor England. And you can look around. You can find various videos online of modern chefs and you know, amateur chefs and streamers recreating it for entertainment purposes and for exploration purposes, like there's nothing you know, there's nothing you know you know off the board occurring in the creation of this dish. I was looking around at various people that were either talking directly about it or sometimes just invoking it. As an example of the latter, I saw a work by a writer by the name of Karen Robber who described or raper, who describes it as performing meat, which I thought was an interesting phrase, like the meat eat in this case is not just here for your consumption, one would assume it is also supposed to taste good. But on top of that, it is like the sheer performance of the presentation, which you know that's gonna be president a lot of meals, but like it becomes part of the forefront in a case like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I might have some different terminology that we could apply to this category later in the episode, but I'd say I primarily think of this as stunt food.
Speaker 1: Stunt food is good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's food that's not just to be eaten, it's also to be admired as an act.
Speaker 1: Yes. So, Reverenson's book contains numerous other, at least from my vantage point, strange Tutor dishes. We can all disagree on this, and you know, and ultimately I'm sure there are examples of similar dishes in various culinary and cultures where it's like totally not weird for you to eat it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean what is weird in terms of food is totally a matter of social and cultural expectations. It's like what's familiar to us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when I say it sounds weird to me, it's weird because I'm imagining the Tudors eating this. But this particular book includes references to such dishes as sliced cow tongue, pie, boiled badger, boiled viper, swan with blood, and entrail sauce.
Speaker 3: Oh delicious.
Speaker 1: This one really gave my wife pause. Cow's utters in mustard sauce. I'm not sure where like that one kind of hits in various ways, like when it's the utters, but then also the mustard sauce. I really have a hard time picturing.
Speaker 3: This cow's utters in sweet and sour sauce I think would work better.
Speaker 1: And then also multiple peacock recipes, yes, peacocks.
Speaker 3: Now wait, now that I'm thinking about it, why don't any like these fast food chains have a dipping sauce for your nuggets that is blood and entrail sauce.
Speaker 1: I mean they could with the right market, you could call it that and people would go nuts for it. But these peacock recipes, oh my goodness. I think in the past I'd run across examples of people eating peacocks as a feast food, but I often forget about it because I end up. You know, you see peacocks everywhere they've spread. They've been introduced rather all over the world from the Indian subcontinent, so most of you, I think I've probably seen one. You know, they walk around the males of the species, the peacocks, you know, look dazzling with their feathers, and then of course you have the pea hens, the females. More on the particulars in just a second, but yes, recipes for this include the gilded peacock. This is a sixteen sixty one recipe that calls for the spit roasted bird to be covered with gold leaf and recovered in the peacock's skin and feathers. After it's been for the you butcher it, you set aside those gorgeous feathers and its skin, and then you put it all back together with gold leaf. Quote for recreation and for magnificence. According to doctor John Wex, there's eighteen books of the Secrets of Art in Nature from sixteen sixty one.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a book by like John d Or Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like it would be alchemical in nature and not about eating a peacock.
Speaker 3: Not about how to have fun with peacock corpses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess it makes sense. If you can eat the peacock, you want to admire the feathers. Yes, so the pa foul is we may more accurately describe these creatures consist of three different species. There are two asiatic peacocks native to the Indian subcontinent, and there's also a congo p fowl that is apparently actually not a true pea fowl. The Indian pfowl is the key species for our concerns here, notable for the splendid mating displays made by the male peacocks that truly everyone has seen. The bird was introduced as a novelty into Europe, traditionally held as being introduced by the Macedonian general Alexander the Great during the fourth century BCE, but something it might have occurred earlier than that. It's an interesting bird in its own right, and we could probably devote an entire episode to it, no doubt, exploring its place, for example, in the history of evolutionary theory, one of the many animals that ends up being invoked in scientific discourse of the day. Instead of all that, though, I want to cut right to some interesting religious contexts for the peacock from Indian traditions, and for this I turned once more to Krishna's Sacred Animals of India. This is from Penguin Press. I'm not going to go through everything that the author shares here, but I want to hit some of the key points. So first of all, the peacock. This is not really religious at all, but the peacock is a national bird of India. Getting into religious traditions, the peacock is held does the animal form of the sky god Indra. Also, it said that Indra granted the peacock its beautiful colors after one of them extended its sale to hide him during a battle with the demon king Ravna. The peacock is an enemy of snakes and represents victory over evil tendencies. And this is apparently based on real life because peacocks in their natural habitat do eat small snakes. And of course this reminds me a little bit of you know, talking of what we've talked about concerning the kokatrice and the basilisk.
Speaker 3: Oh. I don't think I even mentioned this at the time, but some sources say that the cockatrice the monster can have a couple of enemies. One is the cry of the rooster, so like the rooster's call can sort of invalidate the cockatrice's magic or banish it. And then another idea is that the weasel is the enemy of the cockatrice and can defeat it.
Speaker 1: The peacock is also held to be the vehicle of the war god Kartikia. The crown of Lord Krishna often features peacock feathers. It's apparently just generally a common symbol of beauty throughout Hindu literature, often associated with joy as well as Rain and Krishna. The writer here not the mythological figure, also mentions that some traditions hold that Sita, the love of Rama, was born from the egg of a pea hen. He also mentions that the peacock may represent compassion and watchfulness in Buddhist traditions, and that in Tibetan Buddhism there are also connotations of immortality which will come back to in a second and a symbol for the universal antidote against the poisonous human emotional states. And in Jainism, the peacock feather may ward away evil and then finally, he also mentions in passing that peacocks are apparently mentioned in the Bible is an import of King Solomon. Now during the medieval period in Europe, they were favorite inclusions in menageries and gardens, becoming important in European heraldry, textiles and art, and of course, they also came up as a prized food item. And yet even as this exotic bird is selected for the dinner table, it retains its novel qualities as well as some of its supernatural and symbolic qualities. So you know, I guess, you know, on the medieval European table and you know, into Renaissance times, it's like you can have it both ways, that the animal can be I guess, both symbolic and delicious.
Speaker 3: So like if unicorns actually existed, you could take on some of the symbolic I don't know, purity and holiness of the unicorn by eating its flesh.
Speaker 1: Maybe oh yeah, they would totally have spit roasted a unicorn. Now, some select groups in India also historically ate the bird, and we also have accounts that the ancient Romans enjoyed peacock meat as well as the ostrich and various other items in a Roman work titled on the subject of cooking, a work that is attributed to a Roman by the name of Apicius, though apparently there are two different Apiciuses in the historical record that historians think this might have been. So I'm not sure if we know with any degree of accuracy, like who this was that wrote this? But in on the subject of cooking. This is in translation, of course, is stated entrees of peacock occupied the first rink, provided they be dressed in such manner that the hard and tough parts be tender. The second place in the estimation of gourmets have dishes made of rabbit, third spiny lobster, fourth comes chicken, and fifth young pig.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So according to this source, peacock is right at the top if you cook it right. And you know modern American mainstays of chicken and pig, like, that's just down the list. That's after your rabbit and your spiny lobster.
Speaker 3: Beef doesn't even make the list. No love for fish, Where's my goat?
Speaker 1: Whoever Apicius was? The delicacies based on peacock tongues are also attributed to him. But I wonder if even the Romans ever considered such a tudor dish as listed by Breverton in his book as redressed peacocks which seem alive, and how to make them breathe fire through their mouth. This is one of the listings from Tutor England that he goes over it. So Basically this is this is very similar to the gilded peacock. I'm assuming here it amounts though to a complex First of all, you know, butchering and then you know, spit roasting of said bird. But then it's stuffed and mounted, and its skin and its feathers are added back. And then on top of everything else, they use some sort of of a fire effect created via camphor, a waxy colorlesstance that burns at a low temperature, So like some sort of little pyrotechnic device inside the peacock's mouth so that as you serve it, it is breathing fire.
Speaker 3: Were peacock's thought to breathe fire in life? Or I wonder what this is connecting to.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess it's just it's kind of like lighting the candles on a birthday cake, right, or you know, a flaming drink. You know, a little fire makes it even more exciting. And so yeah, if you're going to have an animal with its head on it, why not have that head spitting fire?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, blow out the peacock, honey. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now this leads us to another aspect that we kind of touched on very briefly. We mentioned how the Romans said, Okay, peacock flesh is the best, but you got to dress it right, you got to cook it right so that you don't have to deal with the heart and the tough parts. You can make those parts tender. There does seem to be a lot of discussion about just how tough peacock meat can be. And this gets into this idea that you also see sort of reverberating through even ancient literature, the idea that the peacock's flesh did not rot, that it was incorruptible.
Speaker 3: This is getting more and more unicorn by the moment. It is.
Speaker 1: Really these are attributes you would expect to be applied to the unicorn or something like that, and not a peacock, which you know, it's like I grew up knowing people who had peacocks wandering around their homes like it didn't seem weird at all. It didn't seem like a magical creature, you know. I mean, it's impressive, but not magical.
Speaker 3: To be clear, this is not true. Peacocks rot when they die.
Speaker 1: Right, right, But this idea seems to go back aways. I've seen it attributed to Aristotle, but I don't believe he ever directly addressed it, though I think there were some later authors who then kind of like tried to tried to claim that, oh, well, he was aware of this belief, and perhaps he's somehow alluding to it. Writers such as Plenty and Plutarch would have they also discussed the bird's links to traditions of immortality.
Speaker 3: But where we really.
Speaker 1: Find a firm example of this being discussed is in the fifth century CE book on the City of God against the Pagans, or the City of God, by Augustine of Hippo. And I'm going to read for you hear from the Marcus Dods translation, for who but God, the creator of all things, has given to the flesh of the peacock its antiseptic property. This property, when I first heard of it, seemed to me incredible. But it happened at Carthage that a bird of this kind was cooked and served up to me, and taking a suitable slice of flesh from its breast, I ordered it to be kept. And when it had been kept as many days as make any other flesh stinking, it was produced and set before me and emitted no offensive smell. And after it had been laid by for thirty days and more it was still in the same state, and a year after the same still except that it was a little more shriveled and drier. Who gave to chaff such power to freeze that it preserves snow buried under it, and such power to warm that it ripens green fruit.
Speaker 3: I don't think I understood that last sentence.
Speaker 1: Well, he's tying it all into the power of God, the creator, the chaff and the and the ripening of green fruit. That's not directly involved with the peacock's flesh.
Speaker 3: But it's some context of theological observation. Wow.
Speaker 1: Right, And I have to say this may be the single most impressive leftovers inspired theological argument or example of all time, just hands down. I can't imagine that there's a better one out there where like Augustine's Like, yeah, I brought some food home from dinner and it did rot, and a year later it's still good. What can I say? Glory to the creator.
Speaker 3: Imagine if you saw that video on when this was of like the McDonald's burger, the wooden't rot that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean similar thing, right, Glory be to God. But anyway, the peacock in large part due to this discussion, but also you know, trailing off of other cultural and religious connections. It becomes a symbol of not mere not mere pride as you might expect from watching a peacock stroll about, but of Christian eschatology, informed as well by medieval ideas concerning their molting and the and also you know, very real observations that they eat small snakes, and therefore well maybe they're you know, they're killing and eating venomous serpents. And so the peacock becomes a symbol of the resurrection in early Christian art, you see it in early catacombs and so forth.
Speaker 3: And thus we shall dine upon it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, it's so interesting that you know, a bird like this, you know, you know, it's very spectacular, and it can take on all these additional meanings and and so forth. But then also, you know, you come down to it, it's like, let's put it on the dinner table, let's make it look amazing, let's eat it. I've never eaten peacock, but I would love to hear from anyone out there who has, who can testify to the corruptibility of its flash. But also just how does it taste if prepared properly? What are your tips for cooking peacock?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if it's if it tends to be tougher than your normal poultry like chicken or whatever. I would imagine it's one of those things they do, like, you know, a long cooking time on like maybe some kind of uh, you know, peacock equivalent of cocoa van Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't even know where you go to get peacock meat officially, because I mean it's not like you can't go to like what a fud Rucker is in the nineteen nineties and get a peacock burger like you could get like an Ostrich burger apparently, but at any rate.
Speaker 3: I bet they got it at Walmart. All right, Well, I wanted to come back to something I think we alluded to a little bit in terms of extravagant meals and performing meats. As you mentioned earlier, Rob, Yes, this is the subject of ingastration, which is the culinary term for stuffing one animal inside another. At this point, most of you out there listening have probably heard of the famous or infamous urducin, a three bird roast made of a duck, a chicken, and a turkey, and I've seen dispute about what order they are stuffed in. Now I was reading that it's most often a duck stuffed inside the body cavity of a chicken stuffed inside the body cavity of a turkey. But sometimes it sounds like the duck and chicken rolls are reversed and may just have to do with how large each one you've got is. But in most descriptions these birds are they're not stuffed in whole with the bones at all. The bird carcasses are fully deboned beforehand, so you take all the bones out and just have the meat in the skin, and then there's usually also some form of stuffing to pad out the spaces in between.
Speaker 1: I had to be reminded of this, but apparently my brother in law made one of these years and years ago, and the main surviving detail of it is that he had to get up super early in the morning because he did have to remove the bones from everything.
Speaker 3: Deboning a whole poultry carcass is I have actually done it before. It's a lot of work. Yeah, I'm sure if you're an experienced butcher, it's you know, it's pretty easy. But to my amateur hands. It was a task, I bet. Though I have never made a turducan. This was just a chicken.
Speaker 1: I mean, I apparently ate of this tur duncan, but this was a long time ago, and I have no memories of what it might have tasted like.
Speaker 3: So the tra ducan is something that I suspect is referenced for comedy value at least a thousand times as often as it is actually eaten. Not only because for you know, many people for whom it is not a regular part of their dining find in gastration of funny concept. Also, I suspect because the word turducan contains the word turd.
Speaker 1: That's true, It's just a funny sounding word.
Speaker 3: Yes. Famously, the American football commentator John Madden talked about the idea of a turduckan on some NFL event broadcasts around Thanksgiving across the years. You know, I'm not a football fan, so I knew nothing about this. I only came across this because I was reading about it. But I looked up some of these videos and it is quite fun. He's Madden is talking about the true ducan with an adorable combination of amusement and amazement. It's just like, get a loo to this. I'm about to knock your socks off. It's a chicken inside a turkey. And I found this clip from a It's like some pre show chatter for the Eagles versus the forty nine Ers game on the Monday before Thanksgiving November two thousand and two, and Robbie, I shared this video with you so hopefully I can get your reaction to it. But this video is one of the most like Year two thousand and two things I've ever seen. So the announcer comes on and they're like Monday night football pre Thanksgiving brought to you by Budweiser, Brood Fresh in America, Touchstone Pictures, the Hot Chit coming soon to theaters everywhere, and then there's also an there's an ad for Radio Shack and then an ad for Chrystler, and the tagline for Chrysler at the time was love Equals Drive. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I watched this video and yes, this was impressive. I also am not a football fan. I know of Madden from his many video games, but yeah, he gets into it.
Speaker 3: Literally, he made so many video games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, prolific of time for that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh by the way, just important correction to what I just said. JJ just chimed in because he watched the video also to let us know that it was not love equals drive. It was drive equals love. Though I think by some principle of mathematics that works out to the same thing.
Speaker 1: I think, so right right, sure, it's got it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, mathematicians let us know. But also so the funny thing about this video is that Madden is extolling the virtues of the tru ducan, Like he explains what it is. He's like, yeah, it's you know, you put this bird inside this bird and it's so great. But then he also demonstrates how a turducan is structured by he like brings the camera over to this prepared roasted turducan and then just rips it apart with his hands to show all the layers.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, somebody spent all day on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So who actually invented the turducan and win is a matter of some dispute. The American Cajun and Creole chef Paul Prudam at one point claimed he invented turducan at a lodge in Wyoming at some point This probably would have been in the nineteen sixties or maybe the early seventies, though the first time he published his recipe was in a cookbook in the eighties. And then a couple of other Louisiana based chefs named Junior and Sammy Herbert brothers who ran a butcher shop together in Louisiana. They claimed they were the first to create it. So it's, as far as I can tell, still in dispute when the first authentic turducan was conceived. But part of the problem with assigning credit for the invention of the turducan is how close does a recipe have to be to count? Because if you get a little looser in your criteria and you just start looking for examples of birds stuffed inside birds and cooked, examples start to go way back hundreds or thousands of years into history. It's just the question of who specifically did this combination in this order.
Speaker 1: Well, Plus it also comes down to the question are you talking about doubles are you talking about triples?
Speaker 3: That's right, So I mentioned the idea of stunt food earlier. You know, the cock and trice clearly seems to me to be a kind of stunt food. But stuffing meats inside meats, stuffing whole animal carcasses inside other animal carcasses and then cooking them. That seems to me to be like the quintessential stunt food. Like whatever actual unique pleasures lie in the eating of three different kinds of poultry meat all layered together and then cooked as opposed to just you know, served on their own separately, I think it's hard to deny that the primary appeal of this kind of thing is conceptual novelty. The novelty, the extravagance, the expense, and the difficulty imagined in the preparation. It's the idea that, like, you didn't have to do this, but you did it anyway. And you know, that's an interesting thing to think about in food preparation because you could represent that appeal in more sympathetic and less sympathetic way. So in our cultural context, a more sympathetic view would be that it's like an expression of creativity by a cook, a desire for a challenge, a desire to delight diners and your guests by giving them something new, like you may have had poultry before, but not like this. And then a less sympathetic view in our cultural context is that it's about like showing off. You're showing off your skill if you yourself or the cook, or maybe if you're hiring the cook or buying this thing. It's about showing off your power and wealth. So I want to keep that in mind while we turn to one of the most interesting antique accounts of in gastration that I came across. And this is a story that was in a book I found about the evolution of the human diet by a University of Edinburgh biologist to name Jonathan Silvertown. So the book is called Dinner with Darwin, Food, Drink and Evolution, published by the University of Chicago Press in twin and so Silvertown tells the story of this particular in gastration project as follows. So the year is sixty three BCE. This would have been during the Roman Republican period. And in sixty three BCE there was a banquet held in honor of the Roman statesman Cicero, who is still known today for being a great orator and rhetorician, you know, great giver of speeches. But he wasn't just a you know, it wasn't just style points. For Cicero He was also a very important power player in Roman politics at the time. The host of this banquet for Cicero was one of the richest citizens of Rome, a consul named Servilius Rullus. And allegedly, you know that it starts off with some appetizers early courses of the feast that went over extremely well. The guests were very happy and in fact they burst into applause after the appetizer courses. But the real centerpiece of the feast would be the porcus troyanis or what French authors would later the bore a la troyenne the Trojan pig. Now why would it be called that? Your mind might already be jumping to the answer, But if you stick with me for a second, the description goes that this dish is brought out on a giant silver plate that takes four slaves to carry. The plate is. The plate is huge, and on it there is a roasted bore with baskets of dates hanging from its tusks, which are still attached. And then it's surrounded by delicate little pastries made to look like a brood of little piglets.
Speaker 1: WHOA, it's already getting outrageous and we have all gotten inside the pig.
Speaker 3: You haven't even gone in yet. Yeah. Then they cut open the roast bore to reveal that inside it there is a second roast bore, and then inside the second roast bore a third, and so on and so on, giving way to smaller and smaller animals until the final core. You reach the core, you know, the center of the death star. What's down there? It's a tiny, little cooked bird.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: Now I enjoy cooking a challenging dish. But also this is true for a lot of the dishes we've talked about today, But for some reason, in this particular example, I was just filled with horror imagining this dish made by people who were not aware of germ theory and did not have like time temperature charts for pasteurization. I'm just feeling like that bird in the middle was not cooked properly. Yeah, or if it was, everything else was dry as heck. But anyway, so this is how you get the name Trojan pig. As one Roman author tells us, it was stuffed with smaller animals in the same way that the Trojan horse of the Iliad was filled with armed soldiers and I also like the implication that it will launch a sneak attack on your body from the inside.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, it sounds like it just might.
Speaker 3: By the way, so this is the way that Silvertown tells the story in the book, but elsewhere I've seen alternate accounts. Apparently there are multiple ancient texts that mention versions of this dish, and alternate accounts of the Trojan pig describe it as a roast bore stuffed with cased sausages, which were said when you cut open the bore to spill out of the hog like intestines delicious.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe it's more amusing if you're like closer to your butchery culture.
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah, possibly so. In this book, the author frames this within a discussion about the shifting pressures dictating how we prepare food when our relationship to food resources changes. You know, of course, with wild animals and for most humans, for most of the history of our species, the primary concern with food has just been making sure you have enough access to the nutrients you need to survive. But once humans get into a situation where there is what feels like a dependable surplus of food, our attitude out what food is for changes it becomes less about meeting the metabolic energy needs of the body, and food can be used for other things to achieve other important goals, such as trying to boost social status. And I think there's no doubt at all that in most cultures throughout history there has been a social status benefit to being a good host. That's like a I don't know if I can say it's a cultural universal, but it's got to be close to universal. Like being a good host is widely recognized as a thing that makes you a socially respectable person. And one of the ways you can approach trying to gain a reputation as a good host is by serving elaborate and impressive and delightful meals, not only meeting your guest's energy needs, but beyond that giving them goostatory pleasure, and then beyond that giving them novelty in food, and then beyond that giving them excess just for excess's sake, just to show them that you can and you're willing to. So there's an interesting relationship here that Silvertown points out as sort of a difference between satisfying hunger and satisfying the need for status because hunger is fundamentally hunger is both limited by some kind of physical constraints on the body, but it's also insatiable in the long term. So you can eat a meal, but you can only eat so much until you're full. Even if you've got a big appetite, you know there's going to be a limit. And then also on the other end, eventually, no matter how much you eat, your satiation will trend down towards zero over time. So at some point, even if you had a really big meal, you're going to need to eat again. You meet the need, and then overtime the need recurs. Pressure for social status, on the other hand, can be subject to a positive feedback loop. Silvertown Rights quote. My three bird roast raises my status among my dinner guests, who then feel the need to reciprocate. When everybody serving three bird roasts, I have become like everyone else. So I go one better and show off with a four bird roast. Four bird roasts become the new norm, and so I have to go one better. And you know, I was thinking about this and thinking that they are actually different and more familiar ways This can be acted out and socially understood. So we are not all like Roman consuls or tutor British aristocrats jockeying for political power. But the desire for status can manifest to us in ways that seem more benign in our cultural environment. So here's an example I'm thinking of. You want to host a family Thanksgiving maybe, and you want to make sure that the spread is really nice, so that the people in your family and your friend group who are attending will like you and will have a good time, and will enjoy coming to your house at the holidays and will want to spend time with you. That is perfectly reasonable thing to want, and it feels a lot less crass and cutthroat than the historical examples you know of these, like Roman politicians. But I think it's fair to say that this is still a way of using food to boost our social status.
Speaker 1: I think I think that's a good point. I mean, it's like we are social animals, like we cannot help but engage in those currents, whether it is about the grander game of you know, thrones in politics, or if it is about a much simpler and maybe more wholesome game of just appealing to friends in love.
Speaker 3: With right wanting to be liked and accepted by your social circle, by your friends and family. Now to cite a I don't want to judge too much, but a potentially fine or potentially less wholesome feeling example from today. Another variation is not actually physically hosting guests in person, but like posting your impressive food creations on social media. In that format, you don't actually have to go to the trouble of hosting people, but you can still presumably impress others and gain social status by digitally showing off your turducan or whatever other impressive food creation on the gram.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it is one of those things that I guess is kind of like doubly impressive, because not only does it mean you can cook said dish, but you also have the talent and skill to properly photograph or film it. Those two skills don't always go hand in hand.
Speaker 3: Oh they don't. Yeah, yeah, I know. Food photography is a real It's a thing people don't appreciate enough because they consume like foo food photography all the time and like don't realize how disgusting even a lot of really good food looks. If you know the light conditions aren't right and so forth. Yeah, But anyway, coming back to the argument from this book, According to this author Silvertown, this is why in a food surplus environment, where our investments in food become more about promoting social status than about simply satisfying the body's energy needs, there can be a tendency to always try to go one better, to keep one upping the social expectations, because the need for status can have this this zero point adjusted to whatever your cultural baseline is, which might feel to you like it involves cramming seven chickens inside nine pigs for Thanksgiving or whatever. But like you were saying, rob, it cuts to a core biological reality about humans, which is that we are not sharks. You know, we are a deeply social species, and social reputation is nearly as important to us as food. It's like barely under food in terms of needs. It's core to our well being. And so the desire to have a good reputation, to be liked by friends and family, and to have you know, to have positive social status, that that is something that it cuts really deep to the human experience. It's a strong need we have, and if you get in a cultural situation where you feel like in order to meet those needs, to meet that pressure, sure for for reputation and to be liked and thought of as a good host, and all that that you need to do increasingly impressive and possibly even strange creations of food.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: That's you know, it can seem perfectly logical. It's just like, this is what I've got to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's I mean, this is the reason why we have, you know, religious and mythological tales in which it is it is stressed that you were you were always good as a host because the people you are entertaining they may seem like nobody, but they could be gods in disguise, you know. Like that's how that's how essential hosting is, uh to the human experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I want to sort of close things out in maybe a less cerebral area. I want to talk very briefly about tofurky because tofurky is also, I mean, I think, objectively, a funny word. It makes me laugh anytime I see a package of tofurkey at the store, and that alone makes me want to buy it.
Speaker 3: Can I do a ranking of words? Yeah, I'm gonna say the least funny word is chicken. Turkey is a funnier word than chicken. Tofurkey is a funnier word than turkey, and turduck in is a funnier word than tofurkey.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that ranking is solid, but if you're not familiar with tofurke, it is a holiday meat substitute, really a feast meat substitute in a limited way. It's a blend of wheat, protein and tofu. According to the website of the official Tofurky product, like the company Anyway, began in nineteen eighty when a teacher and naturalist by the name of Seth Tibbott made some from scratch Tempe to share it with friends in Portland, and then like the company takes off and he eventually gives the world tofurkey in nineteen ninety five as a vegan holiday roast, which I mean, you know, the mid nineties, Like that's as you for a lot of people, like that's early in vegan cooking. You know, that's a time period where I feel like it's more likely to be the punchline on a late night joke. But I guess that's also the beauty of the word tofurky. It is just innately funny and is therefore going to wind up the subject of late night jokes. But essentially what we're talking about here is, yeah, a vegan meat substitute loaf filled with stuffing. So you know, it does connect to these various traditions of big roasts and stuffed meats, but with this meat free twist, I still prefer feet of meat, but still I admire the toferki and it makes me think, like, what additional twists on these traditions we might see in the near future, even either with our already robust imitation meat capabilities, which really have come a long way since the mid nineties. Some phenomenal meat substitutes out there. I'm a big fan of several of them. But then also we have the ever potential future of vat grown meat. I always hear conflicting things about how far that, how far off that is in terms of feasibility, but maybe not so far off in terms of just pure you know meat spectacle. You know, like you could imagine that grown whatever being like the extravagant centerpiece, because it's like, you know, it's not at the point yet, you know, where it can be rolled out to everyone.
Speaker 3: My God though, I mean the creator. Like, if you're impressed by cramming together some crab legs and a turkey to look like a face hug, or imagine what could be done if you can actually like grow the meat to a specified mold, you can make all kinds of things, and that could also be an interesting uh yeah, like a an extravagant kind of You know, it's probably not cheap to do that, but if you really want to impress your guests, it's like here, you're you're going to eat a I don't know, a delicious unicorn head.
Speaker 1: I mean, what do meats and up tasting like when they are still on some level biologically meat, but they're divorced from the concept of living animals and are subject to human tinkering and engineering, Like you know, what strange new tastes and forms are possible? I mean, I mean, I guess we're pointing out that to certainly, to a large extent, humans have already manipulated the taste and form of various meats in their domesticated meat animals, but you know, this would just take it to the next level potentially, mm hmm. It depends, I guess to what extent you feel like you have to stay in line with the traditions and to what extent you can stray away from them. But who knows, there could come a time when on the same table you could serve both cock and trice and cock a trice right there next to each other on silver bladders.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, hey, folks out there, if you're listening and you work in the in the lab grown meatfield, right in and let us know, like how feasible is this? Could you grow a cockatrice to eat?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the rest of you out there are pro chefs, amateur chefs, et cetera. Right in with your your thoughts and experiences with any of the recipes we've discussed in this episode, we'd love to hear from you. Send your food pictures as well.
Speaker 3: We'll have a look up, especially if they look disgusting because of the lighting.
Speaker 1: We will not judge you on that count. A Right, We're gonna go ahead and close out this episode, but we'll just remind you that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to send us your interesting holiday creations, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hi, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, what's the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to your favorite shows.