Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick shot streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it is a Tuesday inside the SWBC podcast studio at the Star in Fresco. And this is mixshots Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Mickey Spagnola on the day after the Monday night game against the Cincinnati Bengals. That was a loss in more ways than one for this Cowboys team. And how are y'all doing?
Speaker 4: I am bombed out. My brother's bombed out. I was looking forward to that fight song today this morning.
Speaker 2: I mean we were.
Speaker 3: We were striking up the band there with two minutes left of the game.
Speaker 5: We could play it if you want.
Speaker 2: No, we don't.
Speaker 5: Missouri beat number one can and basketball.
Speaker 3: Oh they did, that's right.
Speaker 2: I saw that. This is not the moment for that SPACs.
Speaker 3: But I do think of Mickey now every time Missouri does anything in sports.
Speaker 5: Even like the women's volleyball team upsetting s m U.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got that up already.
Speaker 5: I just thought out there, having a good try to live up this group.
Speaker 3: There's also a wide receiver that declared for the draft.
Speaker 5: To fit in here and he won't play it with Bowl game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but about here? Can he play here?
Speaker 5: He can play here.
Speaker 3: Because there's not every one of your players. That I mean, you've been able to watch your players for three or four years. I assess the very objectively right, and so it's just because a guy might be highly lauded by others, doesn't mean he's highly lauded by Mickey.
Speaker 2: That's it, right, exactly right. Can he play here? Yes, Okay, he can.
Speaker 3: Luther Burden, He's.
Speaker 5: A bigger Cavante Turpin.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure why we're talking about the draft, but really I do know why we're talking about the draft.
Speaker 5: Oh man. You know what. The whole game just a microcosm of this goofy season, just one thing after another after another after another. They they play their hearts out right. They hold basically Cincinnati to twenty points that was going to be the fewest point. Four of the last five games they had played, they'd scored twenty one or more points, three of them thirty more than thirty some points and they held them to twenty. Despite what Joe Burrow was doing. He at that point, at the two minute warning, he had thrown for three hundred and twelve yards. Jamar Chase was right at just less than one hundred. And they're forcing them to punt. They forced them to punt, and of all things, the guy that's supposed to block Nick Vigil whiffs and he's like, well, okay, I'm going and he blocks the punt, but it goes forward, and then two hops later it hits Amani over Warier in the chest and it's like, oh, you got to be choking me. I think the whole thing played out. If you saw on the sideline when they flashed to John Fossil, he's celebrating, got his arms up in the air, and then it was like somebody pinched a pin in the balloon and he was deflated when he realized what happened.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, no, no, no, unbelievable. And when the punt block wasn't even on.
Speaker 5: No, it was not, and people think that why were they trying to block it. No, the guy just left and he goes, okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: You got a smart player, and Nick Vigil smart veteran player made a play. He just didn't block it well enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because if it goes the other way, right, I mean, he.
Speaker 3: Didn't even get credited with a block on it. He did on the stats, it doesn't show block kick if I guess, if you if you deflected and it goes past the line of scrimmage, it's now not considered a block kick that statistic, I guess, it's not all the stat sheet as a block kick thump, and that's why statistically it then becomes a muffed punt by a warrior, right, And so that's probably why they don't.
Speaker 5: But what I mean, what are the chances?
Speaker 6: And on top of it, hopefully I say the guy's name, right, it's Muma John Meta, the guy who missed the block.
Speaker 5: He recovered the ball since now you've been talking about him the whole night. If that doesn't happen, right, he blew the game because they're going to get the ball inside the fifty yep, maybe around the forty five whatever, or.
Speaker 3: Because the three yard line is where they recovery took place.
Speaker 5: And there were so many guys around, it was going to hit one of the Bengals, which makes it a dead ball, right, and that happens, It's like, see.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing that here. Ever, since here's the other thing that could have happened on it. What if it hits a Cincinnati player first, but it doesn't roll to a stop, then Ruarier can actually pick it up and run with it right and it doesn't matter. He could fumble it away and it doesn't matter. At that point, it goes back to where the Cincinnati player touched the ball would be where Dallas would have the ball said, that.
Speaker 5: Was just a game of what ifs, right, And the funny thing was, so somebody say, well, why did they go and block it. They're going to get the ball back. Call it, you know, call a fair catch. They were going to get the ball no closer than the twenty yard line. Hey, the way that.
Speaker 3: Guy is, In my opinion, they needed to block it because the offense was not moving the foot.
Speaker 5: And on top of that, right now you got to go how many yards to try to get a.
Speaker 3: Field because as it was, you get the ball back at the thirty yard line with a minute left and right, you couldn't move the football right now. In that case, you needed to score a touchdown. But if they punted away. You get the ball at the thirty and you just got to get into field goal range.
Speaker 5: And the funny thing that happened, I can't wait to get a chance to talk to him. So there's a two minute warning. A lot of time cowboys were on the field. Turpin was back, I don't know, around the twenty yard line or so something like that, and they're still in the time out, and I saw some motioning on this big at Bengal's sideline. They're jabbering at Turpin and I'm sitting there going, okay, it's turpent time, right. Well, they're trying to get in his head. He slowly walks over all the way to the sideline and is talking to him right like, okay, well you're about to see something, right if you punt it to me, And they didn't. It didn't get there.
Speaker 3: He saw something not what we wanted to see.
Speaker 5: I mean. And then I heard somebody criticizing Michael Parsons because he walked off the field and didn't shake anybody's hand. By god, I'll be damned if I would have shook hands. After that one, I'm out of there. And what was even worse, they didn't see it. There were and I don't know who they were.
Speaker 3: The helmets were off.
Speaker 5: Whatever, There's two guys on the field signing jerseys and I'm sitting there. Get your ass in the locker room.
Speaker 2: Hey, held up. That sounds like Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 3: There was a players too many guys me more than sounds just like him.
Speaker 4: Wow, Flashbatch bro thirty five years ago, be sighted another state.
Speaker 5: Oh all right, God, just unreal.
Speaker 4: Well, one thing I can say is when you you can tell when you have a veteran. We have more veterans out there, more players with experience, and it's it's a little bit, you know, a small token of appreciation. I guess on my part, I was loving the way that our secondary kept everything in front.
Speaker 5: Right, And I was assuming I was going to ask you that because I was assuming that was because there were guys so wide open. Yeah, but it was.
Speaker 2: Always, always, always in front, always in front.
Speaker 4: And if you see it, those yards that Burrow had, they didn't turn out to be big plays and touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Yes, Chase did have a good game out you know, with Bland.
Speaker 4: I don't know what happened, but at that point in the game, the fact that Bland allowed him to score that quickly, I thought. I thought that was the best thing could have happened, because otherwise they're just going to keep milking the clock all the way down to kick a field goal.
Speaker 2: I thought the fact that we were able to get the ball back.
Speaker 4: In our hands, that was really a small, small thing that could that happened for us.
Speaker 5: But so do you think they were in like a zone defense?
Speaker 2: It was. It was.
Speaker 4: The way we played it, our flex zone. It would turn into a man to man and that was all fine. It was the technique itself was changed to be more conservative. In other words, I'm not trying to shut you down on every play.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be.
Speaker 4: Inside, as you know, as as I've always fussed about. If you take the inside leverage on a player, he's going to catch those eight ten yard twelve yard outbouts. That's okay, it's it's only a nuisance. It's better that than to worry about the play action burrow in the pocket all the time in the world at times, and then you're giving up a big play. So I thought it was a little bit more conservative, which to me, I like that because it seems as if the only alternative is to give up big plays. If you had a secondary or you you taught a technique to where these guys are gonna be a lot closer, that's fine. But I believe the coaching point was, we are not giving up big plays today.
Speaker 5: And you know what, the funny thing you said that.
Speaker 2: Three hundred plus yards only added up to twenty points.
Speaker 5: I counted up their plays of nineteen yards or more. They had five, Yeah, Cowboys, they had five yeah, So they matched them on big plays. Now, one of the five, obviously was the forty yarder at the end. Yeah, they only.
Speaker 2: On the forty yarder. Now, he just gotta come up and make the play. He just with, Yeah, he with.
Speaker 4: And I trust me, I've seen enough nineteen eighty one, nineteen eighty five thermostige plays. We did too much of that ourselves, you know. So I'm not going to say that that's something that he should be ashamed of. Yes he should be, but that happens. The best thing about that was you got it over with and now it's yeah, yeah, but well, because otherwise they're going to march down. They were already getting into field goal range, and they're going to kick a field goal with no time left on the.
Speaker 3: Clock right here, a minute left in the game.
Speaker 2: Left in the game.
Speaker 4: That's the I know that's not the way Blam was planning it, but that's something that just happened to be fortunate for us.
Speaker 5: A minute in one second, in.
Speaker 2: One second, and we if we could just move the ball, you know what.
Speaker 5: The passes that really hurt him were the ones to the running back Chase Chase Brown instead of skyp And somebody had told me early in the afternoon, watch out for this guy. He's better than people think m hm. And he hurt him not as much running the ball as he did catching those passes over the middle, because what they were doing with a lot of times they had six guys up and sometimes they dropped one or two, but a lot they were all going and they just the only sacked them twice.
Speaker 4: Besides those long handoff passes. Yes, the only ones that really hurt us, once again were the ones where we did not have inside leverage. You've got to play take away the inside. It's the lesser of the evils. Tom Landry found that out with I can't remember the wide receiver's name, nineteen eighty. We have the game in our in hand and Billy Waddle.
Speaker 3: Yep, Billy.
Speaker 4: Catches all the way across the Middland scores and we're out.
Speaker 2: I wasn't on the team at that time. I was in college.
Speaker 4: But that adjustment that we made the next year, we're going to have our leverage on the wide receiver is going to be inside leverage, not outside.
Speaker 2: You got to use your sidelines.
Speaker 4: And that's that's what they kept giving up all night long in our secondary.
Speaker 2: Play action.
Speaker 4: Looking down the field all the time in the world, you end up throwing a deep.
Speaker 2: Out route on the other side of the field.
Speaker 4: Guess what, it's eight nine yards, big freaking deal, better than nineteen or twenty. And that's been That was Tom Landry's philosophy from nineteen eighty until he retired.
Speaker 5: Because before the forty yarder, they had a twenty four yard completion to who to Chase, They had a twenty three yarder to how do you say bill iovasis yoshibas yo with an eye oh, and it starts to yo okay. And then they had a nineteen and nineteen yard completions, and they had a umble recovery on one of the nineteen, and then they ruled it in.
Speaker 4: But see The thing about offenses, and that's what I hung my hat on, is they even offensive coordinators are irritated at having to throw deep out passes. Their ego wants them to go for the home run at all times. And in my case, especially since we had the flex and you're not getting any pressure when they come with the play action on the flex, you have to be patient as a defensive back. Don't worry about those ten twelve yard routes because eventually they want you to bite and they're going to try to go deep, and that's when I would make my move, same thing that was happening in this game. They just get so impatient. Offensive coordinators are their ego driven. They think their players should work all the time. Because I thought this up myself, I know it can work. You guys, just do what I tell you to do. That's what I would bank on as a player. Eventually they're going to try and come into my zone, into where I have the leverage, simply because they think every one of ums should work.
Speaker 5: And they tried. The Cowboys tried a couple of times the nine routes deep on the sideline. They just didn't connect, didn't come close to connecting. But still they're going to have the ball twenty twenty then fifty seconds to go right, and they don't have to go far because he was Aubrey was kicking the heck out of the ball watching them in warmups, fifty nine yards it was. It was bad man, And they could have run out the clock or at least I don't remember how many times. Well they probably had all their time outs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everybody had an other timeouts before the but still before the block punt, you know, if you must just move it down there, unreal.
Speaker 3: A test of Everson Wall's memory. December fifteenth, nineteen eighty, Billy Waddy caught a forty yard touchdown pass, part of a five reception one hundred and twenty four yard day for the Rams in a thirty eight to fourteen win over the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: That's sad that one was. That hurts.
Speaker 3: That one was the second to last game of the season in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: That one really hurt.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty good memory forever since.
Speaker 5: But they got into the NFC title game, right, and then no showed at Philadelphia the whole day, all right.
Speaker 3: When we come back the bigger loss on last night, uh de Marveiana overshown when mix shots continues in a moment.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best Tail game part of the Intel Tour the Star.
Speaker 2: And talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 4: With Star Sports Tools, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 7: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Scott Kitchen Schlid with the first.
Speaker 7: Down, investilate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot Com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster cankooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconics engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 3: Demict shuts.
Speaker 4: Tis the season for youth football and dance camps presented by Invisiline. Don't miss your chance to learn from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders at dance camps on these in twenty seventh and former NFL players at football camps on December twenty third and twenty seventh.
Speaker 2: Celebrate the holidays with the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Registered today at Dallascowboys dot com, Slash Camps dot Santa at the Star.
Speaker 3: All right, we continue with mixed shots. The day after a twenty seven to twenty loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, we all picked the Cowboys to win. We had similar scores around the I had them thirty to.
Speaker 2: Twenty seven, thirty. I had thirty three thirty.
Speaker 5: I had thirty four to thirty three. And I said they needed to score thirty some points to win, and as it turned out, they needed to score thirty to win.
Speaker 4: And I said Digs or twenty eight. I said Digs would get a pick. That's what I said. That was my pick to clip.
Speaker 5: He kind of warmed up to the game.
Speaker 2: Did he did?
Speaker 5: Yeah, got better in the second half.
Speaker 2: Well, he knew that he knew.
Speaker 4: The action was coming. That was that was quite a challenge. That he had with not just Chase, but they got is it Huggins at Higgins Higgins Higgins, And they did a.
Speaker 5: Good job with getting Chase in the slot to getting him away from the corners until the very end.
Speaker 4: And we forced him into big sacks, forced him into a couple of bad throws, got an interception.
Speaker 5: So they had two before we get to your injuries Bill, two drive killing plays. They're at the twelve yard line going in. They're gonna throw a slant to CD and he runs into the safety, gets knocked off his route and the ball gets intercepted. Then they ended up on that one drive they were driving, rush gets sacked but it was only minus one yard and then the guy that's sixty three two and fifty pounds flops to the ground when Scoomaker puts one hand on his chest to get him away from rushing, and it got a fifteen yard personal file. They're on the movie.
Speaker 2: You're gonna tell me you can't see that that's a flop.
Speaker 5: I mean, come, that was just awful and that ended up ending in a punt. They're moving the ball. Just things like that.
Speaker 4: Where's the one where there was one where it was offsetting penalties.
Speaker 3: We couldn't get a man off.
Speaker 10: It's like, no wonder they come on, man, this guy, if he would have just one tenth of a second faster on his forty times, he could.
Speaker 2: Have gotten off the field. Unbelievable, And I.
Speaker 4: Think we ended up getting a sad they had a sack yeah, and then of course I think they ended up being successful on the next play because.
Speaker 5: I think it was a hold yeah yeah on their part and then they converted. Just things like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now to marve on overshown and the A he suffers the knee injury that will require season ending surgery. We understand we the details have not been released yet on it. He's having testing done today, but it does not work as right a CL and reports are that there, but there are reports that it may be more than that.
Speaker 5: Well, so it's okay if it's more. If a CL is enough.
Speaker 3: Right, it's an a c L, you can come back. I'm looking at next year. In an A c L, you can come back and play next year. If it's a Nick Chubb injury, then it's Nick Chubb was over a year and that and when you sustain an injury like this in December and it's a year long rehab. Then next season is lost too. That's the disturbing thing about this as much as anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because even if it was just an ACL.
Speaker 3: He would be number he would be on pup to start, our pup to start training camp, and then you hope he's ready by the start and you have him back by October maybe whatever. For right, I think the Chubb injury, I think it happened in September last year, and then he was back basically after twelve months. Thirteen months, it's basically what it took him, and so hopefully it's not to that extent.
Speaker 5: What else did he I mean, we don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean we don't know. There are reports out there that it's more than just the a c L.
Speaker 5: But all right, so if it's the MCL PCL, I mean.
Speaker 3: That and even and even not all a CL injuries are the same.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So but just set the way kid went through all that last year, how do you how do you how do you do it again?
Speaker 2: How do you have the.
Speaker 5: I don't know, that would be devastating mentally to now I got to do this all over again. And he's playing so well, and he was playing well in the game. Now Leo file came in and made some plays. As a matter of fact, made the sack there at the end that forced that punt or what it was supposed to be a punt. And on top of that, you lose your center Cooper bebe right. They announced in the press box he had a head injury. Then he came back and I think it turned out to be more than that, And so now they lose him. So you take your back up right guard because you had to put Zach Martin on I r Uh and Rock Hoffman, who's starting at right guard now has to go play something. And now TJ. Mass who's your third guard, comes in to play right guard, and you're already down to your third tackle at left tackle. Go figure, Blame it on McCarthy. No one takes any of that into consideration.
Speaker 3: In regards to the overshown. Did you here? Were you there to see Micah talking about overshowing Kendricks as well? It was Kendricks. I read micah'sus clearly obviously a devastating injury for Demarvion, but to hear his teammates get emotional talking about it really hits home. Just just you know, the impact of that injury on the team and on him personally.
Speaker 5: Kendricks was the last guy to leave the locker room, and he stood there and answered all the questions. And I'm not trying to be magnanimous or anything, but when he walked past me out in the hallway, I said, you're really a class act. I don't know if I could have stood there and talked like that. And he kind of explained everything, talked about it, talked about overshown how much he's meant to this team. And if you think about it.
Speaker 2: Conricks had about what twelve tackles he did.
Speaker 3: He had twelve tackles. He's a stud.
Speaker 5: He is really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I mean a stud in more than just on the field, but in the locker room. There's a reason that for a decade in this league he now he has been, uh, you know, basically a captain of a defense.
Speaker 5: You know, even Wilson had a good game. So Kendricks had twelve tackles, Wilson had nine, a half, a sack, a quarterback hit, and force fumble.
Speaker 4: I think Wilson to me, is a better player closer to them, and they need to design defenses that keeps him in that area. You know, once you start getting him back there in the back, it's just tough on him.
Speaker 2: You mentioned it yourself.
Speaker 4: He's you know, he's not he's got he's fleet of foot, but it's the footwork that is the problem that gets him in trouble.
Speaker 5: And let's go on top of that. So you're right, but they had no other safety to rotate in Marquis Bell. He's out, ye Juan ye. Thomas was out.
Speaker 2: They lost, So now we have less than one chance.
Speaker 5: But still we got a chance to see And here was the deal too, There was one thing. I mean, you're going to win the game, and you're going to get the six and seven. Yeah, all right, So for that third wild card spot that Washington's in at eight and five, there's only one other team better than them if they were six and seven that's not in first place or has the other two wild cards, and it was the Rams at seven and six. And there's as I pointed out last week, there's losses to be had. Now at five and eight, you got to win out. I means you got to go on the road and beat Philadelphia to at least get to nine and eight.
Speaker 3: Can we go back for a moment. Let's say that the punt, the block punt, was not touched by and the Cowboys took over around the forty three yard line. How would the game have played out had that happened. There was a minute fifty three left in the game, right, Cincinnati had three time out left. What were the Cowboys going to have to do offensively to win that game?
Speaker 5: They were going to have to run the balls successfully to take their timeouts away. And so you needed to get at least one first down.
Speaker 3: Don't you think I think you have to get two times. No, you have to get two first downs.
Speaker 2: I was going to say first down, because.
Speaker 3: Okay, you get you have to get the one first down on like a third down play, because now they've burned a couple of all three. Now, the only way that you would not need to get two first downs is you would have to have them use their timeouts on first down, second down, and then third down. You get the first down, and now they use another timeout, and now you can milk the clock down to kick the game winning field.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: So, for sure one first down, maybe two depending on how it played out, and you're at the forty three yard line, even though, yeah, that is within the range of Aubrey, that would be a sixty one yarder. You get the first down, now it's a fifty yarder.
Speaker 5: Okay, even if you get to the thirty five, it's a fifty three.
Speaker 3: So what are the odds that the Cowboys are getting that first down and milking it down? My point is there was a real chance, even if the Cowboys are able to kick a field goal to take the lead, that there was still going to be time left on the clock for Joe Burrow to go back down. So just because it happened doesn't mean the game was in the bag for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: But it looked good, Yes, it right.
Speaker 3: We would have loved to have seen it play out that way, just to see what would have happened.
Speaker 5: And watching Aubrey warm up before the game, he was good from fifty nine.
Speaker 2: He was just nailing.
Speaker 5: Even though the roof was open, it got chilly.
Speaker 3: In there the So even if they didn't get a first down, let's just say they got nothing.
Speaker 5: Say they got to it.
Speaker 3: And they kicked a sixty yard field goal to take the lead, then Burrow is getting too much time that they're getting the football back with a minute twenty left. Basically, well, were no timeouts.
Speaker 4: The way our defensive line was playing at that time, that's right. They were bringing a lot of pressure. I wouldn't. I wouldn't say that it was too much time. I think they would have.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's play it out this way, all right, Let's say the Cowboys scored a touchdown and did what the Bengals did. Yeah, and you're giving Joe Burrow the football back with one oh one left. How do you feel about the chances at that point?
Speaker 2: I feel good.
Speaker 4: The d line was coming man, the pressure pressure was really doing a good job.
Speaker 5: And the pressure was.
Speaker 2: So good they ended up with a hold and the offensive line it's okay.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't. I wouldn't give them too much credit. I think the Cowboy was the pressure was going to be there.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean they had holes on there.
Speaker 5: They were back to back holes. They were second and seven at the forty nine and the tight end got called no, the wide receiver got called for holding. Then it was second and seventeen and the tackle tackled Parsons from behind.
Speaker 3: It was the surprising thing I thought was that the Cowboys weren't having more success early in the game right getting to Burrow. They wore them down over time, but especially when you're starting Cody Ford at left tackle and a Marius Mems the rookie at right tackle out of Georgia who I think made six starts in college at Georgia, the first round pick, but it's very green. And then Cordell Vohlsen their guard left guard. He had been benched the week before, so they were missing Orlando Brown, their regular left tackle, and Cody Ford, who is more of a guard than he has a tackle, was playing left.
Speaker 4: And that's why issues on their offensive. This goes back to last year.
Speaker 3: They've always had going back to when Burrow came into the league.
Speaker 5: I can't tell you how many times I wrote down two tight ends they were. They were not exposing those guys. They were double team and triple team in Micah, but.
Speaker 3: Chasing t Higgins to throw.
Speaker 5: They needed somebody else at defensive end. And Golston had a nice game really no pressures.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: Same thing out of kneeling Uh. And I was trying to look up Lawson. He's zeroed out. He had nothing. You see how many snaps he had.
Speaker 3: He had twenty five snaps in the game. All right, we continue with more mixed shots than just a moment.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Prescott keeps it slides for the first down.
Speaker 7: Investilate your icons where everyone is a rookie in Crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Purfpick, throw, my Goodness, Wow thread the day.
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tailgate party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex's and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 11: Today Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Briskey and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Cool America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lit, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miliberal Company, Fort Worth, Texas, Them.
Speaker 2: Shuts Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 4: Amanda Foster has been named Your Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan for her dedication to the team and spicing up the game. Vote for Amanda to be named the Ultimate NFL Fan of the Year at NFL dot COM's Last Fan of the Year.
Speaker 3: All Right, you guys have not mentioned this player, and he needs to be mentioned. Ric O'dowdell hayes just one hundred and thirty one yards rushing on eighteen carries. In his last run came with six thirty one to play in the game, a run of fourteen yards that gave the Cowboys a first out the thirty four yard line. But then, of course, as we all know the rules in the NFL, at the six minute mark of the fourth quarter, they cannot run the football anymore. You have to throw it on every doubt. So so three straight incompletions of the Bengals got the ball back.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm trying to find his run.
Speaker 3: Which run, the Donal run, the doubtle the Okay, they've at the twenty yard line. There was after a punt into the end zone with six thirty one left in the game, first intend at the twenty and Rico goes for fourteen yards. It's first intent at the thirty four with six minutes left incomplete. That was the bad throw to Ferguson and then incomplete incomplete high.
Speaker 5: For Brandon Cooks and then blitz and he tried to roll away from it, got pressured by Hendrix because Chuma whiffed on him and they had to blot and then they had to punt.
Speaker 3: So what do you think about the run game when you think about Rico. Here's the other thing is I said, come again, Well, here's the problem. He just needed one more carry. The Cowboys are three and oh this season. If he has that, and he had eighteen carries for one hundred and thirty one yards, you give him one more carry and the Cowboys win that game because they if you give him nineteen carries, they.
Speaker 5: Win, which is weird. Credit to him with all those backups on the offensive line, and they rushed for a season high one hundred and fifty six yards and twenty five carries back to back one hundred yard games by running Cowboys running back since twenty twenty two, Pollard, They about did it.
Speaker 4: A lot of I was gonna say a lot of good things happened in that game. Lamb was able to finally get some room and able to break a couple of time.
Speaker 5: He aggravated his shoulder early. Oh yeah, and he played through.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm not surprised at all.
Speaker 5: Give him credit for not surprised at all, because he ended what nine catches for ninety.
Speaker 2: Three yards, I was like eighty eight or something.
Speaker 5: Six catches for ninety three yards and a touchdown, So you know he was motivated not playing against Chase but playing match matches, just like, okay, you got him, we got him. Yeah, you guys got me now and he did his deal.
Speaker 4: So here we are good running game, decent passing game, a defense that's playing solid.
Speaker 5: Had held him to twenty points for a minute and fifty.
Speaker 4: Against one of the best offenses in the league right now, he held him to twenty.
Speaker 2: Points until until.
Speaker 5: And this was a game they needed to win in the big picture because at five and eight, I mean, you needed to go four and one to get to nine and eight.
Speaker 2: Now you need to go for So what did you.
Speaker 4: Think when you heard the ball hit his hand on the plot?
Speaker 2: What did you think, Leon I didn't.
Speaker 5: Or or mcuamu. Right at that moment, there was another block. Remember mcwamu tried to recover it or whatever, and he flubbed it. But I thought of Leon, I did, but this was different. Leon had no idea what he was doing, right, a backup special teams guy in there because of an injury.
Speaker 3: Well one thing one is that he's only had and of course he was just activated from injured reserve for this game. Uh, a back injury that he's had. That was why he went on IR.
Speaker 2: I think I think that's right.
Speaker 3: But you look at his special team snaps this season. He only had nine special teams snaps before this game. He had eighteen in this game. Right, So he's not a regular special teams guy this year. Now, I'm sure earlier in his career he has been, right, right, I just think it was And the explanation that McCarthy said. And by the way, I like what the Cowboys special teams guys leading by the captain C. J. Goodwin protecting or War from having to talk to the media after the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's no reason he needs to sit in front of his locker and talk.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Remember remember on the Leon one where that was one of the big things after the game. After Leon and you remember Leon, his personality such a nice, quiet guy, and that was one of one of the biggest things that Jimmy wanted to make sure that Leon was protected from having to talk about it after the game.
Speaker 2: Leon. I could remember.
Speaker 3: When he eventually had to talk about it two different things.
Speaker 5: I think it was the ninety It was the ninety three season and Pam Oliver was there before the game during the week and she he agreed to do a one on one with her out at the ranch.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: She was this just before the Super Bowl, so we were talking the.
Speaker 5: Super Bowl regular seasons, right, oh okay, And she and he agreed to do an interview, and you know she wasn't going to grill them, right. So they're in one of the coaches offices there outside the locker room, and about five minutes later, he comes out and he's got one of those great T shirts on, and you know when you sweat on those, it really shows up. He's soaking wet, and he came out to change shirts, right, and I go, Pam, what did you do to him? And she's like, don't say anything.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: So then that year they were going to force him to talk at the Super Bowl during the Tuesday Media Day and he was standing off to the side and.
Speaker 3: It was the same thing.
Speaker 11: He started.
Speaker 5: Their sweat just dripping off.
Speaker 3: And he hadn't talk, and it's mandatory that all players have to talk. I was in the scrum amongst you, I say, hundreds or dozens of media around him, and they were sitting him in the stands there in Atlanta, and you know, and he's got three towels, I mean, just sweating, and I mean it was just awful. He felt so bad for him.
Speaker 4: But you know, y'all can ask them questions, Yeah, this.
Speaker 3: Was so and this so that happened on Thanksgiving Day. This is the end of January. It's been two months later, you know, and he's oh, so, you know sweet.
Speaker 4: They're like, you know, this is awful, but I want to see how long we can come with this.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying. That's the media guy. Make you guys worth the crab man. Come on.
Speaker 3: But as you know, Leon's such a sweet human being and to have him having to go through that, now it's become his story and so and since now you talking to him about it and he can talk.
Speaker 2: About it, how was the first time we talked about it. Oh it was.
Speaker 3: I don't even remember what he said. I just remember the towels of the sweat well.
Speaker 5: And by the way, it wasn't it wasn't just that. Remember the first Super the first super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So yeah, so the first Super Bowl. This is on the heels of the fifty two to seventeen Super Bowl where he picks up a fumble in his running for a touchdown and Don Beebe knocks the ball out to go And so Leon is known for these bloopers.
Speaker 5: When he got the he got the job, I want to say it was a coaching job, maybe part time or whatever. At I think it was U N l V and I and I heard that, and I think he hadn't left here yet, and I was going, Leon, if you're going to coach, you got to talk like you got to talk to people, right. And then he came back and he was like a different person when he got here. I was surprised. How you he developed? I mean we're talking small town kid, you know. And where what was the school in.
Speaker 2: State? Yea cafe.
Speaker 5: All I know is I did bring up in my colle for today the ghost of Block kicks past. Ah Dang unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Well, tomorrow will be a new Day Shark week to get ready for Carolina.
Speaker 5: That almost knocked off the Eagles, by the way.
Speaker 3: M hm. And in fact they played about four four straight one score games.
Speaker 2: So and right, young is back playing well.
Speaker 5: Well, he's got some people around him.
Speaker 3: He's got Adam Theelen's back.
Speaker 5: But Feelings is best guy and the guy's your age.
Speaker 2: And he's doing well. Yeah, he's doing well.
Speaker 5: He got so tired after that one catch he had to come out. He was huffing.
Speaker 3: And they got and they've got Xavier Leaguette, who they beat the Eagles. If Leaguett doesn't trap the ball.
Speaker 4: Down on the goal line, he has had a couple of chances.
Speaker 5: Well, didn't they get rid of wide receivers?
Speaker 3: They did, but Deontay Johnson with the Ravens.
Speaker 5: And who decided he didn't want to he said, knucklehead.
Speaker 3: But all right, that does it for this edition.
Speaker 2: Of Morgan edition.
Speaker 3: This Sad and Mike McCarthy press conference is at three forty five, Okay, so forward to that. That'll be an update on tomorrow on overshown. All right, thanks for joining us, and we'll shout at you again. Tomorrow at noon, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.