Speaker 1: The volume. You don't do the Bowl championship. That should always be the expectation. All right, man Ax, you go ahead. Welcome back to the Richard Sherman Podcast. What a week, Mitchell. The San Francisco forty nine Ers gonna win, the Seattle Seahawks gonna win, the Buffalo Bills lose through the Rams. Your Detroit Lions got a huge win Thursday night in front of us, in front of the home crowd. It was an amazing game. You gotta be feeling good right now, Mitchell.
Speaker 2: Richard, I'm on cloud nine.
Speaker 3: I would be feeling a little bit better if Carolina had squeaked that one out at the end. But our guy, big play Sligh had to step up in the clutch.
Speaker 2: Richard.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about you all afternoon. The Seattle Seahawks had a huge game. This is an opportunity for them to separate themselves from the pack in Arizona. Everyone's wondering who is the Seattle Seahawks team. They've been a little bit hotter of late, and they proved today. I think, at least to me, they proved today this team, this team might be one to compete with.
Speaker 2: Richard.
Speaker 3: How fired up are you with that win in the Arizona. The Seattle Seahawks come out victorious.
Speaker 1: I'm so I'm so excited. That's their fourth straight coming out of Dubai and Mike McDonald made adjustments. He said he needed more urgency out of his team, and he's getting more urgency, especially out of the defense. Kobe Bryant with another interception, Ernest Jones with a huge interception. Both both times these things set up scores for their offense. Kobe Bryant's interception sets up an immediate score to JSN from Gino. Gino has another efficient game twenty four thirty two thirty three in a touchdown. But it was Zach Sharbonnay who really really shined in this game on both on the ground and through the area. At seven catches for fifty nine yards. He had twenty two carries for one hundred and thirty four yards two touchdowns. One of them was a huge fifty one yard run where he just that looked like everything the Seattle Seahawks wanted to see when they drafted him out of UCLA, and he delivered. Obviously, your guy K nine is banged up, but he stepped up in a huge way. This game, JSN continues his very consistent season. Five catches for eighty two yards. In the touchdown we talked about, Jonathan Hankins gets the sack, but it just was a solid effort. And I know that the Big Cat didn't get the huge play this week, didn't get the highlight play, but he made a number of huge deflections, taking on double teams all day, freeing up these linebackers. This defense just looks like a whole different beast. They were harassing Kyler all night long. They were playing tight coverage. Devin Witherspoon again is all over the place. Tyreek Wohland Man, I thought he had a pick. He undercut Marvin Harrison on a comeback route in this game, and it was a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful cover play, and I thought he was gonna book him up the sideline for six. But they had the offensive PI. Marvin Harrison Junior wanted to hate on him. Arizona Cardinal team has really started to stumble as of late. You know, they're still running the ball well. Kyler's playing decent, but he just looked rattled early on. This defense was getting to him. They were hitting him, they were turning the ball over. He had a great throw where he attacked Kobe Bryant on the corner route score a touchdown early in the game. But after that, this defense cut the water off and just kept going all night long. We talked about the run game from the offense. This Seattle Seahawks team looks really good and I can't wait to see them Sunday night against the Green Bay Packers next week. That's going to be a great game, a game that really I mean, I keep saying barometer, I keep saying litmus test. They've won four in a row. But this Packers team has looked really good. You saw him take care of Detroit Lions to the wire. So if the Seattle Seahawks can go in there and get their fifth straight, our our host the Packers and get their fifth straight, these conversations start to change, Mitchell. For this first year coach Mike McDonald, we have to start thinking, oh to the year.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't go that far, Richard.
Speaker 3: I got a guy here in Detroit named Dan Campbell that would have an argument with you about that. But listen, this Seattle Seahawks team, they've surely impressed, and we questioned them. You certainly questioned them, and I was scratching my head at the trade deadline when they dealt both their linebackers and it seemed like they totally revamped their linebacking corps and we both kind of questioned johsh Schneider at that point. But since then, four straight opponents held to twenty points or less. You know, this game did not start off great for them. I'm Kyler Murray connected with Michael Wilson on a forty yard forty one yard touchdown right out the gates, and Seattle looked like they might be in for a long day, and then they recover immediately. This was a huge, huge, huge win for the Seattle Seahawks. And you're absolutely right. I mean next Sunday night against the Packers, when they host the Packers, that is going to be the bar because we saw San Francisco. You know, look back like San Francisco. They're not out of the race certainly yet. There's still a couple of weeks left in this season for them to make up ground. But if the Seattle Seahawks can continue their winning ways and put this division to bed, you got to look out for them in the playoffs. Because Geno Smith only six incompletions today. I mean, you gotta love to see that from Gino. What do they have to do to take out the Packers because the Packers are in desperate need of it to win as well.
Speaker 1: It starts with stopping Josh Jacobs. That's going to be the biggest task. That's the task I don't think anybody has done, including your Detroit Lions, but your Detroit Lions defensive line is a lot more banged up. They have to have a plan to stop Josh Jacobs. If you stop Josh Jacobs, then you put more pressure on Jordan Love to really drop back. Matt Laflor has not felt comfortable with allowing Jordan Love to throw the ball born in twenty five, twenty twenty five times a game. If he gets to throwing thirty thirty five times a game, this team may be in trouble because he gets a little reckless with the football. He starts to get a little chaotic, a little a little cavalier, pushing the ball down the field, allowing believing in his arm strength, believing in his arm talent, and putting the ball in harm's way. We've seen that throughout the season, and that's why the last few games you just have not seen him really pushed the ball down the field as much as they had earlier in the year. They've really leaned on the run game. They're going to have to protect the football because Green Bay Packers turn it over at a really high level. Especially on defense. Jeff Afley has done a really great job all year long just coaching his team put him in good position. If they can get JayR Alexander back, that'd be a huge boost for this defense and change the way that they're covering. Maybe they run a little bit more man coverage, so these receivers are going to have to beat man coverage consistently. But I'm just going to enjoy this one. This team has to feel good going on the road getting their fourth straight win. They look really good, they look confident, they look together. You could see just the camaraderie on defense, the togetherness, guys celebrating one another, celebrating all victories. It's really cool to see. But you know what else is cool to see? Mitchell.
Speaker 2: Here comes the hat change.
Speaker 1: Hat change Menchell hat Change the San Francisco forty nine ers, and they had a great bounce back game. Struggling struggling, breaking a three game losing streak that had me and everybody else really concerned. We can talk about all the injuries that they have, the guys that are out right now, the guys that went to IR, but I don't want to talk about that right now. I want to talk about the guys that played. Right now, we're going to talk about Brock Perdy twenty for twenty five, three hundred and twenty five yards, two touchdowns. Isaac Garndo with a really impressive game. Fifteen carries for seventy eight yards to two touchdowns, two catches for fifty yards, really getting dynamic. One of them. I thought that could have been a touchdown. Brock perty put that ball up early. I thought Grinda was gonna be able to roll into the end zone. He wasn't able to do it. But George Kittle, welcome back, my friend, Welcome back to getting targets. The creativity and the play calling looked great. A lot of screens, middle screens, outside screens, just pushing it over routes. Kittle was involved in just about every quarter of the game. They finally don't waste a good Juwan Jennings game. Seven catches for ninety yards, two touchdowns and they get the win. You know, every other time Juwan has a great game, they find a way to stumble and lose that game. So I'm just happy for him. I'm happy for the team he was he was going at you know, their dbs. They were going back and forth with Jalen Johnson, friend of the program, and they were battling. It's always good to see that kind of battle. But San Francisco forty nine ers putting up these kind of points was really good to see thirty eight points in the game against the Chicago defense has played really good throughout this season and have a lot of talent. Roma Doonza gets active, gets his first two i mean gets two touchdowns in this game. But Caleb Williams gets sacked seven times, which was great for the San Francisco verdy nine ers because without Nick Bosa, they just haven't been able to get home very consistently. It was good to see Gross Matos get his three sacks, Leonard Floyd got two sacks. It was a collective effort and just you could see the sense of urgency from the d line. You could see the linebackers, everybody flying around. It looked like a really good team. Now I get to go to San Francisco this Thursday to watch my San Francisco forty nine Ers play the La Rams in the game that's gonna be. It's gonna be the loser of this game. Likely it kills their hopes at the playoffs at the division. Honestly, the Seattle Seahawks might have pulled away already with the division. You know, in order for either of these teams to have a chance to win it, they're gonna need some help and need some losses from the Seattle Seahawks. But anything is possible to the National Football League.
Speaker 3: The Chicago Bears started off the season four and two, and everyone's like, holy cow, maybe this NFC North is gonna get four teams in the playoffs. And they've lost seven straight since. And you know, they wanted this game bad, but the forty nine Ers wanted it a lot more, and they needed it a lot more. They've been bruised, they've been battered, they've been without several of their best players, but they lean on the unknown. Isaac Grendo goes off. I mean, like you said, you lean on the reliable, George Kittle, Richard I promise you, whoever that two seed is in this NFL playoffs, if the San Francisco forty nine ers are able to sneak in as that seventh seed, they are not gonna want to see them. For the love of God, please do not have the Detroit Lions be the two seed and play in the San Francisco forty nine ers at home. I do not want to see that matchup San Francisco. If they can get this ship righted, look out down.
Speaker 2: The stretch.
Speaker 3: Season is rowing along and contenders are starting a separate from the pack. The one thing that hasn't changed all season. DraftKings Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NFL is the number one place to bet touchdowns. Fade to the corner of the end zone, running back breaks to the line and gallup sixty yards for a score. We don't care how they get them. We just want to bet on touchdowns, and DraftKings is the best place to do it. Ready to place your first bet? Try betting on something simple like a player to score touchdown. Go to the DraftKings Sportsbook gap and make your pick. Here's a reason for new customers to do a touchdown dance of their own. Bet just five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins. Score big with DraftKings Sportsbook, the number one place to bet touchdowns. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook gap and use code Richard. That's code Richard for new customers to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings, the.
Speaker 2: Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York, call eight seven seven eight h O p E n Y or text h O P E n Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help us available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven to seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort licensee partner Golden Nugget Lake Charles twenty one plus. Age varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario se sportsbook dot DraftKings dot com slash football terms for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: It's time, Mitchell, It's time to look at this weekend's tastiest matchup in a segment we're calling Sunday Night Football. Of course, it's the Buffalo Bills versus the La Rams in LA not a game. Everybody saw LA having a chance, adding myself, the Buffalo Bills have been rolling Josh Allen getting MVP chance in every stadium he goes to because Buffalo Bills fans travel well, but not so fast. My friend old Lee Corso, when you're playing Matt Stafford, you better bring you better bring your lunch, Baill, and you better bring your offense. And they did. If Buffalo Bill scored forty two points in this game, and I'm sure if they walked in thinking, hey, Josh Allen's gonna have five touchdowns, six touchdowns. He's gonna throw for three, he's gonna run for three. We're gonna score forty two points. Kalisha Kiir is gonna have five kits for one hundred and six yards, Amari Cooper six catches for ninety five yards. You're like, that's a dug no, no, not this time. Matt Stafford twenty three to thirty three hundred and twenty yards two touchdowns, didn't get sacked once. You gotta give that Rams offensive line a lot of credit because this is a defense that gets pressure on the quarterback. They give a lot of exotic looks, they bring pressure, they get home, and they were not able to sack him once. But Pooking the cool. The game Pooking Nikola had was legendary. Some of those catches he's left me scratching my head because I I just I couldn't explain it. I mean the one where he backed up and kind of went over his shoulder, got his feet down like landed, and then another one on the same sideline pushed the defender by fly by catch it over his head like incredible catches and then the screen for the dagger touchdown to finish this game off Cooper Cup doing you know, five for ninety two in a touchdown, but doing all the dirty work blocking had a huge block on the final Pooking the cool touchdown. It was a really great play. Just sacrificing these guys. Kyrin William has twenty nine rushers for eighty seven yards and two touchdowns. They're doing their scraping, clawing, doing everything they can to win these ball games. But Buffalo Bill's losing a game like this after everybody told me that it was that's the reason why Josh Allen was his candidacy was so great. And mind you, Josh Allen really raised his bar and scored six touchdowns in this game. So is MVP candidacy For the numbers guy goes up tremendously. But for the argument that everybody's been trying to make about, hey, it's because his team is winning so much. Now they have their third loss? Has that change the argument at all? Is does that make it better? Is it worse? Now? Now the Bill's got to go to Detroit and beat the Detroit Lions, so they could potentially beat ten and four or they can go eleven and three. But if they're ten and four, does that change things? Like That's why this whole thing, that, that whole idea and that whole argument was just it was not great. And Josh Allen had an MVP like performance today two hundred and thirty I mean three hundred and forty yards, three touchdowns, passing, three rushing, ten carries for eighty two yards, Like that's impact that's a huge impact. That's MVP candidate, But you have to look at the overall. He's having MVP performances. Win his team needs them late in the season, that's definitely gonna bolster his chances. But if they lose these games down the stretch and other teams win, that's going to bolster their chance. Like if the Philadelphia Eagles would have lost this game, that would diminish Sakwan Barkley's chances. But he just became the all time leading run or broke the single season rec rushing record for the Philadelphia Eagles already, and it's only week fourteen, and so he has three more weeks to put up more yards and break it even further and push down below That's what MVP candidates. It's always special seasons, records breaking, you know, leading the league those that's the kind of things you say about MVP candidates. I'm sorry, I know they don't want to give it to a running back and they're saying, ain't give it to a running back anymore, and YadA, YadA, YadA, But at some point you gotta look and say, when sacred Jalen Hurst do for on one hundred and thirty yards is game something like that wasn't a great game from Jalen Hurts by any stretch of the imagination. And if he's playing like that and the Philadelphia Eagles are still winning the games, it's because Saquon Barkley is taken over and he was running his butt off. And that's a story. Every single week. This team goes as Saquon Barkley goes, and they stumble when Sakuon Barkley is not having a great game. He just has not had many great bad games this season, so they don't lose. But you know that's my little Ted talk for the day, Mitchell. The Buffalo Bills have a tough week next week against the Lines. We already talked about the Rams going to San Francisco to play San Francisco forty nine ers. I'm excited to be there for that week for that game. And that's this week's Sunday Night food Ball, brought to you by Uber Eats, the official on demand delivery partner of the NFL. Uber the best game day deals all season long. Order now for game Day.
Speaker 3: The LA Rams are seven and six. The Seattle Seahawks are eight and five. LA Rams if they play like this down the stretch. They're healthy, they're getting now all their playmakers involved. Seattle's doing the same thing, and they're looking a hell of a lot better. Do you have that much faith the Seattle Seahawks can hold this team down with four games ranting in the schedule.
Speaker 1: Well, anything can happen. I mean, I can't say I predicted any of this that happened the way it did. And so I don't know. If the Seattle Seahawks keep winning, they control their destiny. And it's always tough when you don't control your destiny. If the Seattle Seahawks keep winning, it's their division, they go away with it. The San Francisco forty nine ers only chance is to win it go in as a wild card team, as the seventh seed, and so there's a lot of things that got to happen there for them to get in as that last wild card team. But win and give yourself the best chance. You know, at this point, I think they got to win every game. They got to win out and just to give themselves a shot at ten and seven, and at ten and seven, you know, I'm sure they'll have an argument. You know, I'm not sure they have every tie breaker, honestly, but that will be giving themselves the best chance. And these guys are continuing to fight hard, They're gonna get healthier, and if they do get in those playoffs, it's going to be a very difficult team to be They're going to be a very difficult team to put out of these playoffs, and so we'll see.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about one of the most shocking, less yet unshocking team of the year.
Speaker 2: It's the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 3: I mean, every year we're talking about how the hell are they about to make the playoffs again? And they're not only making the playoffs their borderline running away with this division. They're six and one since Russ has been a starter. Let's talk about Russ right now. He didn't have the best statistical game, but he's without his number one option and George Pickens. I know they're playing the low league Cleveland Browns, but the Browns just beat him two weeks ago. How impressed are you with the Steelers right now and the way they're showcasing it to the NFL that they are true competitors for the for the whole kitten kabudle the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, this defense really stepped up this game. Obviously, you just talked about Russ and what he's done. I mean, was it was fifteen or twenty six, one hundred and fifty eight yards, two touchdowns, you know, not a ton of action, but like you said, George Pickens was out, really leaned on Mike Williams a little bit more, Calvin Austin a little bit more. Najie Harris still running the ball well, sixteen carriage fifty three yards, you know, just doing enough. But that defense, Cam Hayward huge plays, James Pierre with an interception, Keanu Benton with the interception. That's the big reason why they win this game. And it's happened both ways because I guess the Cincinnati Bengals, the offense had scored forty four points and you know, win all and need when they needed to have it. In this game, the defense steps up, holds Jamis will Winston the twenty and twelve yards, hosts this offense to fourteen points. The offense scores twenty seven points. And that's what this team. They're so balanced, they're so balanced, and they're gonna have a tough decision at the end of the season to make with in regards to Russell Wilson and what they want to do with his contract, what they want to do going forward, because he's making himself some money. You know, anytime you're winning in this league, he six and one as a starter this year, you're gonna ask for good money you deserve. And you know it's gonna be up to him whether he takes the deal you know that's friendlier to the team, or he tries to maximize his earning potential. You know, I think at this point in his career, he's earned a lot of money. He's made his money, so maybe he takes a more team friendly deal, you know, forty million dollars a year or so deal you know, spread out a different way or figure you know, maneuver or figured it out a different way. You know, maybe he wants sixty million like that guy. You know, And again he has the leveraging this situation, especially if he continues to play well, to ask for whatever he wants to. He plays quarterback in the National Football League. Are you gonna come off a really good season and let the guy walk away because of the money. The fans in the backlash would be great in Russell's case, are you really gonna leave a situation that seems perfectly tailored to your skill set perfectly Taylor to who you are, a supportive defense, a good run game, offensive coordinator, and Arthur Smith who understands you. You know, it seems like a perfect match. And I don't think he's gonna let money get in the way of them continuing this in the future. This is a great coach, not an all time coach. And Mike Tomlin, who's done a really good job with him. So I think, you know, the way this team has embraced him, the way he's changed himself to fit this culture and to really step in and help this team in the way he has. He's gonna deserve the money he can ask for, but it's gonna be what you value more. And I think he's gonna value to fit more than the money, and so he'll probably take a more team friendly deal going forward. He got a lot of money from the Seattle Seahawks, got a lot of money from Denver. Now you got to you gotta worry about, you know, legacy and reputation and all that going forward, and you don't want to end up with an another bad situation after you were in a perfect situation because because of the money.
Speaker 3: Our times have changed five years ago. I mean, Richard, if you're saying a team friendly deal is forty million dollars a year, and God bless it.
Speaker 2: I'll take it.
Speaker 1: God bless it.
Speaker 3: And you know what I mean to your point, rich this, I don't want to call him the Seattle Seahawks, and I'm not going to call him that, but from a structure standpoint, you're right. I mean, they've got everything Russ needs. They got an absolute behemoth of a defense, and they got just enough playmaking weapons on the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 2: And Najee Harris is a bruiser.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't want to call him Marshawn Lynch and I'm not going to call him that, but he's got a similar running style to him. And you know what, we'll see what the Steelers can do down the stretch. They have a brutal ending of the season. The next four games, They're at Philly, They're at Baltimore, they host the Kansas City Chiefs, and they finish off against Cincinnati. We will see what this Pittsburgh Steeler team is truly made of down this stretch. I'll tell you what. I can't believe the status is real, but it is. Cleveland has lost twenty one straight home games to Pittsburgh and Richard. I'm telling you, if you're a Cleveland fan, we've got something that might help you out with tomorrow's hangover from another loss. You know, twenty you're thinking, Hey, this is gonna break it. Twenty is enough, twenty one is way too much. No, you know we're here to help though. Nowaday's wasted. Helps you wake up feeling fresh, no matter how many drinks you had. Dhmdtox is scientifically designed to tackle alcohol related toxins, addressing the real cause of next day grogginess. Only twenty percent dehydration the rest toxins, and let's be real, Cleveland fans have had a lot of toxins and their systems for twenty one straight years. Simply take two capsules after you if your first few drinks, or double up if it's going to be a big night. Plus your first box is one hundred percent risk free. Love it or get a refund, feel your best after night of drinking. It's completely risk free. Purchase feel great, or your money back on your first order. Head over to Noday's wasted dot Com forward slash Richard and use code Richard to get twenty percent off your order. That's Noday's wasted dot Com forward slash Richard for twenty percent off and free shipping. Link is in the description. We got to talk about the NFC North in the Minnesota Vikings. This was going to be a tough test for them. Kirk Cousins coming back to town the Atlanta Falcons, a lot of motivation to get a win in Minnesota for Kirk coo, and it looked decent, you know, at the first half, early in the second half, and then all of a sudden Minnesota took over. It's time to talk about Sam Donald and this team because I don't know if it's going to be a one season and done for him in Minnesota. He looks like he's found a new home, Richard. They just drafted JJ McCarthy with a first round pick. How do you handle this situation? If you're the GM of the Minnesota Vikings. Do you let Sam walk? Do you assign him to a couple of year deal? Obviously he's gonna want some money. What do you do if you're Minnesota? What if you're doing if you're Sam Donald.
Speaker 1: If you're Sam Donald, you're maximizing your potential. You're maximizing your earning potential. You want to be a starter and you want long term security. And if you're the Minnesota Vikings, I don't see anything that shows you shouldn't give it to him. You know, he's having a really good season. Maybe you can look at his past and whatever and whatever and say, how is this fool's gold? Is this real? But none of this looks like law. It doesn't look like he's just oh man, it's tipped passes or anything like that. He's going through his progressions. It just seems like a hand and glove fit in Minnesota. And so I can't see them really really moving on from him and really restarting with JJ McCarthy. Maybe they would, you know, they spent a high draft pick on him. But if that happened, I expect Sam Donald to get to find work somewhere else and and and get a really really lucrative contract, whether that's the New York Giants, if that's an it would be really crazy. If it's the New York Jets, I mean, you're talking about full circle. Oh my god, I couldn't imagine. Sheeez, that'd be a storyline. It could be a number of teams. It could be the Raiders if they don't draft Shadora Sanders or our Ward in the draft, you know, if they don't take a quarterback, or if they don't get the guy that they want. So there's a number of situations he could walk into and become the Day one starter. But I think it's in Minnesota's best interest to just keep continuity. You know, maybe maybe you give yourself an out after two years and then give JJ chance. But I don't think you bring a rookie all coming off an ACL injury into the National Football League who hasn't played a down and replace a quarterback playing as well as Sam Darnold du has been for your team and really winning you a lot of these games. To have five touchdowns this game twenty two, twenty eight for three, forty seven, a career high five touchdowns, a career high one hundred and fifty seven point nine pass rating, almost a perfect passer rating. It just seems like the receivers trust him. He's got a great rapport with him. Jordan Addison for eight for one thirty three, three touchdowns. Justin Jefferson seven catches for one thirty two, two touchdowns. I think you're gonna have a hard time having a conversation with those guys and saying we couldn't pay Sam. He's gone. We got JJ, and you guys will figure it out with him. These guys are having really, really impressive seasons with him, and I know that they've had success with her Cousins before, but you just I don't know how many times you're gonna be able to keep doing this. And maybe JJ McCarthy comes in and it does just as well, but I don't want to risk that if I'm the Minnesota Vikings, well.
Speaker 3: The Minnesota Vikings, they've obviously had a heck of the season ten and two. Now, you know, coming into this game, the whole talk of the NFC North is my Detroit Lions, and yet Minnesota is only a game back.
Speaker 2: And again you.
Speaker 3: Got the emotions of Kirk Cousins coming back into town and they get it done and they double them up forty two to twenty one.
Speaker 2: Kudos to the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 3: I mean this team there, They've got so many dynamic weapons on the offense side of the ball and then defensively, they're so well coached and they just get it done week in and week out. This Minnesota Vikings team is a force to be reckoned with. And I just hope, you know, they stumble up down the stretch. So the week, you know, the final week of the season against Detroit Lions is meaningless because you'd hate to see a shootout in ford Field. But let's flip the script to Atlanta. This team started off hot and now they're six and seven. They've had a four game losing street. Kirk Cousins struggled in that four games, zero touchdowns over four games, eight interceptions, sixty two pass grading, fifteen interceptions so far. Richard, is it time that they close that chapter on kirk Cousins and turn the keys over to the car to Michael Pennix Junior, their first round draft pick.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know that. I just don't know if that's the answer. You know it's you know, maybe it is, and you put him out there. But for font No to pay kirk Cousins fifty million dollars a year and put him on the bench and then know that next year you're going into the next year with him on the bench as the backup of fifty million dollars backup is just is just a kind of conversation that gets people fired. And so I don't think they'd sit him because you you have fifty million dollars backing up just get you imagine that they're talking every game, that's talking point and so every time the rookie has stumbles or those interceptions or makes a mistake, it's going to be like, well, why do you have fifty millions on a bench, or when you can't afford a free agent, why do you have fifty million sitting on a bench? If there are just so many conversations and Kirkus struggling in a really big way right now, but hopefully he's able to come out of it and play well. You know, he's played well at point to this season. He threw for three hundred and forty four yards. He did throw the two interceptions, but they were battling in this game for a while and it was really closer than the score show that got away from him. Late this Minnesota Vikings defense Byron Murphy made a really great interception, one handed interception in this game. But I don't think you can bench him. I don't think you can bention him at this point of the season. I don't think you can bench him with all the money you have invested into him, because I just don't think you have a way to answer those questions this offseason about what you're going to do with the guy you promised. He has one hundred and something million guaranteed, so it's not like you could just cut him and hey, next season, you don't have to pay a salary. You're going to be paying him fully guaranteed money next year, So you got to just this is the decision you made. This is the guy, and you got to stick with him, good or bad. You gotta keep going.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: His replacement in Minnesota, Sam Darnold, has earned this week's Players in Prime Time, brought to you by our friends and partners at Brightling.
Speaker 2: Richard.
Speaker 3: I switched it up today considering the Lions played on Thursday, and I went with my alternative Brightling watch.
Speaker 2: It's a beauty Yeah, what do you think, Krispy Yeah? Beautiful?
Speaker 3: Well, Sam Darnald is the recipient. We already talked about it, man, I mean, listen, if I'm not going to throw them in the MVP, conversation, but his stat line today certainly was deserving of such three forty seven five touchdowns on one fifty seven point nine passer rating. Shout out to Sam Darnald, our players in prime Time Recipient of the Week, brought to you by our friends and partners at Brightling. Richard, I want to talk about my Honolulu Blue and Silver hosted you in town this week in Detroit. I mean I first off, I mean listen, the Richard Truman piet has become the official podcast of the Lions here. I feel like in Detroit, you know a lot of folks talking about your podcast here Detroit, and we're excited to see you come to Detroit. You've spoken a lot of kind words about my Detroit Lions over the last couple of years. And what was your rating of Detroit as a city as your time here? What was your thoughts on Detroit overall?
Speaker 1: Well, Mitchell, I loved it. I love the people, the energy, the Christmas decorations. There was Christmas cheer, and any city that I come to that has Christmas cheer and holiday spirit and great football they get a high rating. For me. Mittro that was a nine out of ten and we had a blast. That was a ten out of ten. I enjoyed our time at Joy Baale's place. It was really fun, really really good food, good vibes, good energy. And then the stadium, the stadium, the fans, the energy, the staff. Everybody was so positive. Everybody was so optimistic. Everybody was so energetic, so excited. And they deserve it. They deserve this season. These fans have been loyal and dedicated for so long and they get to finally see their team come home and win week after week. Jared Golf has a really good game thirty two forty one eighty three, three touchdowns, did have the one interception to my guy, Keishawan Nixon, friend of the program. We got to have him on here soon. But they really did a really great jobs at Darius Smith in this defensive line of misfits. You know, guys that you had to look up as they were making plays. Aaron Glenn deserves to be a head coach. And you know, I hope you guys don't lose both your coordinators, but there's a chance you lose both your coordinators this year. And that's what you know. That's one of the things about being a really good team is is they take from you, They take from good teams. They everybody want some of what you're doing. They want what you're doing, they want some of a piece of that pie so that they can help increase their team and help their team win games. What he's been able to do with a bunch of guys that he just got off the street, that he elevated from practice squad. He gets a tip of the cap from me because this is This Green Bay Packers team is a really good team, and Josh Jacobs has been running the ball down in just about everybody's throats. He was held eighteen carries for sixty six yards, which isn't a bad game. He had three rushing touchdown, but it's not the kind of game that he's been having in the past. Christian Watson has the four catches for one hundred and fourteen yards, but lost to fumble a great play made by Carlton Davis. You know, didn't give up on the play, punched it out it was able to be recovered. We talked about Keishaw Nixon in his interception. This Green Bay Packers team is really good, but they needed this win. They falled in nine to four. Now two and three games behind the Detroit Lions for the division. But like you said, it's the Minnesota Vikings that you got to worry about, and you play them at the end of the season. Jamier Gibbs continues his excellent season with seventy three all purpose yards the receiving touch down. Tim Patrick has two touchdowns any game. It just seems like this team doesn't care who gets the ball, doesn't care who gets the credit, doesn't care who gets the success. They just want to win. And if you can see it each and every week, you could see it. Each and every play, gods are doing whatever it takes, blocking, tackling, hitting. Pane Sewell's catching passes. He didn't catch any of this game, but every time, every time, every week you look up, they running another play for him. And they ran like a reverse for him. A couple of weeks ago, I said, what are we doing now? We're running running traps with Piney Sewell at getting the ball. But I'm excited for this game coming up against the Bills in Detroit. That's going to be the game of the week. I would imagine Josh Allen and his crew coming into Detroit to play this very talented Detroit Lions team. They win that game, they're gonna have a claim as the best team in the National Football League. And it's that It's going to be very difficult to say. It's close depending on what happens tonight with the Kansas City Chiefs. I think that's going to be a doll fight of a division game with the Chargers. We'll see how that goes. But your Detroit lines are the beast. It can't be the beast in the East, the best in the Midwest. That might.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's got a ring to it. You know, well, they've won, they've won eleven straight games, Richard. But critical fourth and one down the stretch. I think it was about forty seconds left in the game, And I know you shared a conversation with Jared Goff post game about what was going between Dan Campbell and his mind. What was that conversation, because I think it's important for the Detroit fan base and the heck the National Football League fan base to hear what was going through a mind between player and coach when you're facing a fourth and one in field goal range with forty seconds left. Richard, what was the words you share with Jared Goff post game.
Speaker 1: Well, Mitchell, it wasn't It wasn't me. He was having a conversation with Andrew Whitworth while he's having in conversation with all and was like, Hey, what was the conversation like on the sideline before that fourth and one and Jared. You know, the summary is Jared basically comes over and Dan's on the headset, you know, telling him, Hey, we're kicking it and just get the field goal team ready. We're gonna stand there. We're talking through, but we're gonna kick it. And Jared, you know, dejected. It's like, man, man, I want to go, and Dan Campbell just looks at him and said, you want to do it, efort, We're going for it. And then he changes his mind and goes for it. And he trusts his men, He trusts his team, He trust his offensive line that they're gonna get it done for him. And some people may look at that and be like, hey, is that really how it should go? Yeah, that's how it should go. You can do all the analytics in the world. You can say, oh, man, this percentage and this percentage, but at the end of the day, do you trust your team, do you believe in your guys. And if your quarterback says he thinks they can get it done, and you say, I'm gonna believe in my quarterback and what he sees and what he does, that's a gut feeling and that's what that's what his team is ready to run through walls for Dan Campbell because he believes in them like they believe in him. And he is a leader of men. And as a leader of men, in order to show them leadership, you have to show them trust and faith and belief. And that is what he did. He said, Hey, if we lose, I lost with my men the way they wanted to go out. I didn't play it conservative. I didn't play it soft. I didn't play scared. Scared money, don't make no money. And they reach in Detroit right now.
Speaker 3: It's Dan Gamble's season here in Detroit, and we talked about it last season. I'll never forget my rant when they lost to the San Francisco forty nine ers INNFC championship game. They lived by the sword, they died by the sword. Today they won by that sword. On Thursday. They run by that sword. And you know, kudos to him for believing in his men. You gotta love to see the emotion he displayed after the game. This Lions team faced is a huge opponent in the Buffalo Bills, freshoff of loss. This next Sunday's game is gonna be one that I'm sure America is gonna tune into. And I'm so proud to be a Detroiter right now. I love to see this eleven straight. Let's keep this train rolling, Richard. I'm thrilled that you are on the train. I like to think you're an honorary member of the Detroit Lions bandwagon, and I'm gonna I'm gonna, I'm just gonna leave it at that. I'm gonna buy you a Detroit Lions hat so you can swap into that when we do these game breakdowns.
Speaker 1: Well, Bettroll, I have no problem putting on that Honolulu blue Detroit Lion hat. I am a fan of the program. I'm a fan of what they're doing. I'm a fan of Dan. Dan gets it done, and I respect it. Well. This has been another Richard Sherman podcast, and I appreciate you. It's week fourteen. Like I said before, if your team's doing great, fantastic, let's get to these playoffs. If your team's doing bad, start studying college because there might be a savior somewhere in there. And I preciate every single one of you guys for tuning in. You could be anywhere in the world, but you're here with us, and we sure do appreciated. Happy holidays, and I wish you the best. Hit that sub button if you knew the volume