Speaker 1: The best view in the universe is not from the top of the Seer's Tower or the birds Dubai. It's not from some seaside hotel. It's not from the top of Mount Everest. It's from your backyard. On a dark night. You can look up at the universe and see across billions and billions of miles. Every view on Earth pales in comparison to the vista you see across this ocean of space. Though they are impossibly distant, you can still see balls of gas furiously fusing, burning brilliantly enough that they can be seen with your naked eyeball. And if you look closely, you'll notice something incredible. There's a rainbow of stars out there. White, blue, yellow, red. It's a fabulously colorful universe. What does that mean? Why are stars different colors? We'll be digging into the physics and countering some usual pop sigh misinformation along the way. Welcome to Daniel and Kelly's extraordinarily fabulous colorful Universe.
Speaker 2: Hello, my name is Kelly Windersmith. I study parasites and space and I love looking at the night sky.
Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Daniel. I'm a particle physicist, and I don't have a favorite color.
Speaker 2: I do. Mine's purple. Why don't you have a favorite color?
Speaker 1: I don't get the whole principle of choosing a favorite. Like I like the colors, they're all nice. Why do I have to pick one and say this one's my favorite color? Like, I like purple, it's nice. I like orange. Yellow, it's pretty good too. Blue is so soothing. I like the colors. Grown do you have a favorite child?
Speaker 2: You know? You and Zach. I'll ask Zach what's your favorite? Blah blah blah, and he's like, I don't see any reason to pick a favorite. And I'm like, because people use this as a conversation starter, and you're a conversation killer.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, it's the way people start conversations. But it feels to me like dishonest, it's false. It's like it's not what you really think or feel. It's just like, oh, you like red, I like green. You know it's not sincere, so it doesn't start a good conversation.
Speaker 2: I think it's implied that, like, you're not married to that color for the rest of your life. I was doing a book signing. I was like, oh, so tell me something about you. And he's like, I hate small talk.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, okay, and that's the end of this conversation.
Speaker 2: I did stop talking. I was like, okay, all right, I don't know what else to say. Now you've ruined the question I was planning on asking you today because it involves the word favorite. But I was going to ask you about your favorite or the best star viewing experience you've had, Like when was the moment when the sky was most clear and you could see the farthest.
Speaker 1: I think one of my favorite observing moments is not actually looking at stars, because you know, stars are hard to make out any features for because they're so far away. They're sicly just points of light. But stuff in our Solar system that you can actually see. And back in the mid nineties, I was working on a project over the summer right when comet shoemaker Levee was about to slam into Jupiter, and I had access to a super high speed camera and so we pointed it at Jupiter hoping to catch really high speed photographs of the impact to see like, you know, planet sized plumes of fire emerging from it. It was super cool.
Speaker 2: I mean, I do feel like I asked you something like what's your favorite color? And you answered macaroni and cheese. But that is a very cool story. Did you see what you wanted to see?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to see shoemaker levee impact on Jupiter. Unfortunately impacted around the back of Jupiter, so we didn't see the collision itself, but we did see the plume coming up over the limb of Jupiter. Really pretty amazing. I sort of remember it in black and white. I can't really answer your color questions, but Jupiter does have a lot of beautiful colors. See, it doesn't just pick.
Speaker 2: One that's amazing. And you keep sort of wiggling around my questions. That's fine, that's fine. What you're saying is interesting, so it's fine for content.
Speaker 1: And i'd ask you what your favorite color is, But you're wearing a color right now. You literally have paint all over your arms. That's your favorite color.
Speaker 2: Well, that's my favorite color for my laundry room renovation that I'm working on right now. But my favorite star viewing moment I got really lucky one. So I was in Costa Rica and I was in a community where there was a big leather back sea turtle conservation project going on, and leather back sea turtles can get distracted by lights and then they move towards those lights and then they don't go out to the ocean after they hatch like they're supposed to. So the whole community had very dim red lights and they turned off all of their bright lights at night, and so we were sort of in the middle of nowhere and all the lights were off. So my job at two am was to guard the hatchery so that raccoons wouldn't dig up the leather back sea turtle eggs and eat them.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So it was like two am in Costa Rica. It was the middle of nowhere. All the lights were out, and it was just the most amazing view of the Milky Way and you know, shootings stars and at any time there could be baby turtles. Like that's Pete Kelly life right there. I'd much rather spend time with my kids, But that was amazing.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a magical moment. Did the night sky look anything like your outfit does right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, except a fewer holes in it. This is also what I wear. What I'm doing some renovation work. I don't know, it's comfy.
Speaker 1: For the audio only listeners. Kelly's wearing something which looks like it has star patterns on it.
Speaker 2: It does. And my daughter has a matching outfit that we wear sometimes, and she still wants to wear even though this dress has holes in it. Whenever she wants to wear a matching outfit, I am all in because I imagine it's like weeks or months before she's too old to want to do that. So every day it's an automatic.
Speaker 1: Yes, You've got to savor those moments when the kids still want to spend time with you, because pretty soon they're going to grow up and move on.
Speaker 2: I know, I know your kid's going to college.
Speaker 1: And kids are not the only thing growing up and changing and moving on. Everything in the universe is going through its own life cycle, including the stars in the sky, burning and glowing and changing colors as they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when I was listening to your introduction, I was realizing that I don't appreciate all the colors of the stars in the sky. I just think of them as white and sort of look at them as sort of a blurry something. I don't pay attention to the individual colors, the palette of the universe. So I'm excited that next time I look at the night sky, I'll pay a little bit more attention, and I'm excited to learn more from you today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the universe is very colorful, but it's not just to please you or to start conversation among two am sky watchers who can otherwise talk to each other. It's for physics reasons, and the colors in the night sky are going to tell us a lot about what's going on inside those.
Speaker 2: Stars, as long as it's not for chemistry reasons.
Speaker 1: So this is actually part one of a two part series about why stars have colors and what it tells us about the universe, which ends up with a really interesting story about yet another overlooked female astronomer.
Speaker 2: Oh I love when I'm surprise. While we're recording, I didn't realize this was a two parter.
Speaker 1: I just realized as the two parter because I'm preparing that other episode, and now I'm understanding, Oh my gosh, this is the perfect setup for that episode. So good job Daniel realizing that in real time.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Star Week.
Speaker 1: This is how carefully we plan the episodes on the podcast. All right, So before we dig deeper, I was curious if people knew why stars had different colors, and so, as usual, I went out to our group of wonderful, clever, hilarious, well informed, good looking volunteers to ask them if you would like to join their ranks for future episodes. Please don't be shy, right to us two questions at Danielankelly dot org. We'll hook you up in the meantime, think about it for yourself. Do you know why stars are different colors? Here's what our volunteers had to say. We know the color here on Earth is based on different wavelengths of light, so I'm assuming that the same principles apply to stars.
Speaker 3: Red shift the including distance from and speed away from the observer.
Speaker 4: Color of the stars related to its size. So the older the stars, the more it's been able to fuse, the heavier elements you get different.
Speaker 1: Spectrum their temperature and the element.
Speaker 5: I know that big hot stars are described as below and small coola stars described as red, and middlely ones like our sun are yellow.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the color of stars depends pretty well solely on their age.
Speaker 3: I think stars are different colors based on the levels of hydrogen and helium in the star.
Speaker 4: Red ones are shy, and as they get closer they turn red.
Speaker 1: Blue ones are kind of cool, so they're going away from you. They don't care.
Speaker 2: Different elements of different colors, and stars throughout their life fuses loads of different elements.
Speaker 1: I think stars are different colors because of the gases that are in them, and also because of the temperature of the star.
Speaker 4: Probably due to their composition, different elements they are made up of, and perhaps also their size and perhaps just how they're burning their energy output.
Speaker 1: Also, the universe believes in diversity, equity inclusion, and that's why they're different colors.
Speaker 2: The temperatures are different and that causes the black body radiation peaks to be at different wavelength.
Speaker 4: Stars are different colors because they have different elements and they burn at different temperatures, which changes the color we see. I'm really not sure where the stars are different colors, but if I had to guess, I would say it had to do something with where they were at in their life cycle and the gases that they are made up of.
Speaker 3: I think stars are different colors because the way they expand and like the gases inside of them like as they expand and get hotter, I think they like change colors and stay those colors their lifetime.
Speaker 1: I would think that stars are different colors because they emit different light particles, but I think a nonscience the answer would be that they have a cool aura.
Speaker 2: Amazing answers I chuckled, and some really clever insights here. What did you think, Daniel?
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of interesting stuff going on here. The picture I'm putting together of what people imagine causes the different colors of stars is that this different fusion happening with like different ingredients. Maybe you have more metal here and more metal there, and that's somehow changing what's going on, and that's changing the burning of the star the way you can put copper in a Bunsen burner and it turns green, for example.
Speaker 2: That is my understanding coming into this conversation is that I do think it depends on what elements are getting burned and how hot. But often I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: So I suspect a lot of you listening out there probably think the same thing, which is why we do this segment to orient us and understand where we need to take you from your current understanding to a deeper, more physical understanding. So we hope that by the end of the episode you have a deeper view of why stars have different colors, because the answer is a little bit more subtle than anything we heard from our volunteers.
Speaker 2: All Right, I love it. Let's dig in and let's start with the basics. Tell me about light and color.
Speaker 1: Right, So some of the listeners commented that different colors mean different wavelengths, and that's true. Of course we're interested in like why is flight emitted at different wavelengths? But fundamentally it's important to understand the physical mechanism here, like why are we seeing different colors? And they're right, because light is electromagnetic radiation. The universe is filled with electromagnetic field, and that field can ripple, and when electrons in alpha centauri wiggle, they cause ripples in that field because electrons are connected to that field. Right, When electron moves, it wiggles that field, and that wiggle is what we see as photons, for example. And those wiggles have frequencies, and the frequencies correspond to different wavelengths, and those wavelengths correspond to colors.
Speaker 2: I feel like a bunch of pieces actually just click together in my head that should have clicked together much earlier, but there they are, okay.
Speaker 1: Click And the same mechanism is like how radio works wizer an antenna because electrons are going up and down in the antenna, and as they do so, they make the photon field wiggle just the same way, like if you're holding the end of a jump rope and you go up and down, you make wiggles down the jump rope. It's exactly the same mechanism.
Speaker 2: I think the piece is just unclicked. Oh no, I think I don't understand the electrons going up and down the antenna. Thing is it just radio waves are traveling through the antenna and that's radio frequencies.
Speaker 1: Well, an electron has an electric field around it, right, If the electron just sits there, the electric field doesn't change. What happens if the electron moves up, well, the electric field also has to move up. Or if the electron field moves up and then down, the electric field moves up and then down. But it doesn't do so instantly, Like if you wiggle an electron in an antenna that's a mile away from me, I don't instantly see it change in the electric field. It has to propagate and So if the electron is going constantly up and down and up and down, then it's making waves up and down in the electric field that propagate out away from it. And if I'm a mile away and i have electrons in my antenna, those wiggles in the electric field are going to push on my antenna's electrons, which are going to go up and down, and then I'm going to read that out as current. So yeah, the electrons in descending antenna wiggle the electric field, which wiggles. Electrons in the receiving antenna, which move and can be picked up by my electronics can be reclick yep, yah yah. And so the different colors are different wavelengths of those wiggles. Photons are wiggles in the electromagnetic field, but they can have different wavelengths. Right. They can be really really narrow, so they're like very high frequency, like ultraviolet or purple. They can be really really long, so they're like radio waves or red light or infrared light. And there's a potential source of confusion here. Remember these things are quantum mechanicals, So photons are discrete units. Like you can have one photon or two photons, but you can't have two point seven eighty one photons, but you can have photons of any energy. That's a continuous spectrum, So there's an infinite number of frequencies on the spectrum.
Speaker 2: So does that mean there's an infinite number of colors?
Speaker 1: Mmmm, yes, great question. Right, So there are an infinite number of frequency choices for a photon. But colors are things that we experience in our mind. Right. There are responds to signals on the optic nerve. So let's talk momentarily about the physics of the biology of what's going on there. You have photons that enter your eyeball and they hit the back of the eyeball and the back of the eyeball, there are three different kinds of cells that respond to different colors. They have proteins on them that operate like little switches, and when they absorb a photon of the right color, they flip that switch and they send a signal up the optic nerve. This whole continuous spectrum of photons gets converted into three numbers, how much did you turn on cone one, Cone two, and cone three? And then your brain interprets those and generates the experience of the color. So the color is actually in your mind. It's not on the photon, right, we say red photon or green photon when we're being sloppy, but really the boon has an energy and the experience of color is only in your brain.
Speaker 2: And we got a great question on our discord channel, which you can join by going over to Danielankelly dot org and clicking the invite and Quicksilver the DIRG Sorr who was the discord quicksilver the DIRG anyway, this individual going by the moniker Quicksilver, the DIRG wanted to know something about why we see the colors that we do see. And actually, our distant ancestors had two kinds of light cones and we have three, and so why do we see the colors that we see. The answer, really, at the end of the day is we're not one hundred percent sure, but we think what happens is that there was a gene duplication event, and these happens every once in a while in our genome. And so now instead of having two different kinds of cones, you had two different kinds of cones, but three different genes for those cones, and over time selection tinkered with that extra new gene and we ended up with the ability to see the color red. Already see things like green, and the thought was that seeing colors like red allowed our primate ancestors to differentiate between different kinds of fruits and in particular whether or not the fruits were ripe. And there are some macaques that only have two types of cones and some macaques that have three types of cones in the same species, there's this variability. Some studies have found that if you have three types of cones, you get ripe fruits quicker and eat them quicker, which shows a benefit. But other studies and other kinds of macaques haven't found that because it's biology, so it depends depends there you go.
Speaker 1: And I think you put your finger on it, because the important thing here is the ability to distinguish different colors, right, But I think that depends not just on like the number of different kinds of cones you have, but also the processing power behind it. I know that like mantis, shrimp are famous for having like more than ten different kinds of cones, but they actually apparently are terrible at distinguishing different colors because they have almost no neural processing behind it. I think they might just like experience ten different literal colors. We have a huge number of different colors that we can distinguish because we can do this interpolation, right, That's what your brain is doing is it's getting like, oh, a little bit from the bluish cone, a little bit from the reddish cone, a little bit from the greenish cone, and it's saying, okay, what color would give me this pattern and then sort of inferring what color might be there. But again, the experience of color, the reason like red is reddish and blue is bluish has nothing to do with the photon. That's something your brain has assigned to it has invented, has fabricated. Right in principle, it could make up a new color. If you've got a new cone and planted that was sensitive to the ultraviolet, that your brain could invent a new experience, not one that's a combination of the other ones, but like a real novel experience to represent the signal from the UV cone.
Speaker 2: And there are insects that can see in the UV. And it makes me so sad when I look at a beautiful flower and think there's layers that I'm missing. But anyway, I'm guessing based on our examples that you and I both read An Immense World by Ed Young, because we both seem to have cherry picked examples from that fantastic book.
Speaker 1: It is definitely a great book, a lot of fun, and recommend everybody read that, especially if you're interested in physics and biology, because it covers both of those topics about our experience.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the three kind of cones that we have determine what colors we can see in the night sky. Are we missing a lot or are there ultraviolet stars out there that we're missing.
Speaker 1: We're definitely missing a lot because we can only see a certain range of photons ultraviolet and infrared. Everything below that and everything above that we can't see, and the sky definitely is bright in those colors. That's why, for example, we have radio telescopes and infrared telescopes and ultraviolet telescopes because stars and other different phenomena emit differently in those spectrum and if you can see those, you can see different kinds of things. Also, the universe is transparent differently in different frequencies. Some frequencies of life can go through dust clouds and others can't, and so if you want to see through dust clouds, you've got to change your frequency. So absolutely the night sky looks very different outside the visible range our star, and of course peaks right in the center of the visible range, which again is no coincidence. Right. If you're going to evolve vision, you might as well evolve it to be able to see the most common photons that are around you. So if we had evolved around a redder star, for example, probably our visible range would be lower. The Sun is an unusual star. Most of the stars out there are redder than our star. Our star is yellower than most stars out there, so we may have a different visual range than most of the aliens.
Speaker 2: So are you postulating that the color of the star determines the colors that we see, because I feel like that's not an evolutionary argument that I understand. Does the color of our star impact the color of things on Earth that are important for food, mating or running away from a predator?
Speaker 1: I think it makes sense for us to be most sensitive to the photons that are most present here on Earth for that range. Whether we can experience two or seven or three or whatever, I think is a different question. But for us to be sensitive to the most common kind of photons makes sense to me. I'll give you that you're skeptical. Why A you're skeptical?
Speaker 2: So I totally follow the argument that the most common kinds of photons in the environment would be the ones that were good to sense. But if for some reason those didn't translate into an increased ability to find your food or an increased ability to recognize a mate, then I don't necessarily think that selection would hone in on those. And there's so much variability and what animals can see. You know, there's plenty of dichromates, so they don't have three kinds of cones and they get along just fine. So yeah, how do you explain the variability?
Speaker 1: Then that's a great point. And I can give you an example to support your point, which is neutrinos. Neutrinos are everywhere in our environment, but pretty much useless because everything is transparent to them, and so it wouldn't be great to develop a neutrino eyeball even though they're everywhere. So you're right, just being ubiquitous isn't enough to have to be useful. And so I think the combination of the fact that they are everywhere, and stuff on Earth tends to not be transparent to them, makes them useful for us to see things. So I think you're right. It's more complicated than just the physics of this region has to also be like useful in your environment. For sure. I have no idea why you would have two or seven cones.
Speaker 2: I guess both of our fields are useful. You ponder the question Daniel and I were just debating during the break, And when we get back, we'll talk about why stars have different colors? All right, and we're back. You look up at the night sky and there are lots of different colors of stars. Though I'll be honest, I missed that in the past. I'm gonna be paying much more attention now. So Daniel, why do those stars have different colors?
Speaker 1: So there's sort of three big factors that control what color a star is in our sky. One is what it's made out of, another one is its temperature, and the last one is its velocity. So let's do those in order. What it's made out of. This is the one that's connected to your experience of like putting copper in a Bunsen burner and seeing it glow green. That's because atoms are quantum mechanical little objects and they have energy levels. You know, electrons around an atom can't just be at any energy willy nilly. There's a ladder of energies there, and because there's a ladder of energies there, they can only eat and emit photons of certain energies, the ones that let them go up or down the ladder. So when an electron is around an atom and a photon comes by, if that photon has just the right energy to take it up one or two or seven rungs on that ladder, it can eat that photon. You might think I don't care about what photons the electron eats, but actually does matter what it absorbs and what it reflects, because what it reflects is what you see. Right, If you're looking at something that's blue, it's not blue because it's eating blue photons. It's blue because it's eating everything but the blue photons. It's reflecting blue photons back at you. Remember you see something blue because some light in the blue range has hit your eyeball and you responded to that. So it's important what energy levels an atom can absorb. And the same is true also in the reverse, Adam's in midlight. That's what's happening to the copper in your Bunsen burner. It's getting hot, and the inverse process is happening. An electron jumps down energy levels and gives off a photon, a green photon in the case of copper.
Speaker 2: That always felt very counterintuitive to me, that the color that I'm seeing is the color that's being given off by something. It almost feels like everything is disguising itself in some way. I don't I don't know why my brain ahead trouble wrapping itself around that.
Speaker 1: I totally remember the first time I understood that. I was like nine, and I was like, oh my gosh, things that are blue are not actually blue, they just look blue. And then I realized, well, maybe that's what it means to be blue, to look blue. But yeah, I had the sense that like, if I could see through these photons to what things actually looked like, I could perceive a deeper truth to the universe. But the universe is kind of a construct we've assembled in our head from our experience of it, and there's a lot of that that's imagined, that's put together from our experience and the way we paint these colors on things is just one layer of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, Yeah, I totally agree though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's the joy physics. It helps you separate what's really out there and what you know about it, which you don't know about it, which parts you're building in your mind. Super fascinating, even if it is philosophical and could never be understood. So the next piece to understand is why things have different colors? Right, We said that atoms have energy levels, and electrons can jump up energy levels eating photons or down energy levels emitting photons, and those photons have specific energies corresponding to those gaps. Well, different atoms have different energy levels. Copper and mercury and helium and hydrogen all have different energy levels. Because the solutions to the Shorteninger equation are different, you got different numbers of protons, and the whole configuration of the atom is different. Every atom has its own unique ladder, which means that they have like a fingerp If you take an element and you take a gas of it and heat it up, and then you take the light from that pass it through a prism to spread it out, you'll see that Each element has its own unique fingerprint, its own spectrum. They'll have these little bands like a blue one and a red one, or a different element will have like a green band and the blue band will be shifted over. So you can tell what something is made out of just by looking at a spectrum of a hot gas. So there's two things that are happening here. You have hot gas, it glows in certain colors, right, And if you have more oxygen, you glow in these colors. You have more neon, you glow in those colors. And our whole next episode is going to be about using spectroscopy to understand what stars are made out of. But this also absorption, Right, if a star has an atmosphere and that atmosphere is mostly neon, for example, then it's going to absorb that light. So if you have a hot blob of gas, it emits light to those frequencies. If you have light that passes through an atmosphere, then it absorbs those frequencies.
Speaker 2: So it feels to me now like we have an infinite number of combinations of elements that could be emitting and like gases that could be absorbing. How do we make sense of the output given that there's now so many different options, and it's probably not just one element that's emitting at a time. There's probably a couple different things that are emitting. And I'm overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is overwhelming. It's a hard problem, and it was solved by a very clever young lady around the turn of the century. And we're going to talk about that in the next episode. Okay, but even if you mix all these elements together, what you get are a bunch of different spikes Like these are narrow emission lines. You can't put them together to get a broad spectrum. And that's not what most of the light from the stars is. This is like people's conception, but most of the light from the star comes from a completely different process. It's not from atomic emission and absorption. It comes from the plasma inside the star just glowing at a certain temperature.
Speaker 2: What all right, we were all wrong, audience and friends of mine. Okay, so Daniel, let's move on to the next thing. Then tell us more about this thing that actually contributes most of the color.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we said that the color of stars comes from what they're made out of, and that has to do with atomic absorption, and emission mostly in the atmosphere of stars, but also from its temperature. And so that's what we're going to dig into next. And there's a process here that has a terrible, absolutely, terrible, very misleading name. It's called black body radiation that describes why stars glow at certain temperatures. And it's terribly the name because a star doesn't seem like a black body. Right.
Speaker 2: Nope, you guys did it again.
Speaker 1: But in physics, we have a model of some hypothetical object with no reflection, Like any photon you shoot at it, it will absorb it and just like heat up. And even in the hypothetical version, it's not black. It just means that it doesn't reflect. It glows because of its temperature. Everything in the universe that has a temperature and is made of charged particles will glow. Like if you have fluorescent lights in your ceiling, you look up that has a hot gas in it that's glowing because of its temperature. Or you're glowing right now, Kelly, because of your temperature. Not in the visible light, but if I put on night vision goggles or infrared goggles, I would be able to see you emitting light.
Speaker 2: What is the physics definition of glow is it just releasing photons or something.
Speaker 1: It's just releasing photons because you have charge particles in you, and charge particles are always interacting and moving around and whizzing, and when they do so, they emit photons. Like an electron can't change directions without emitting a photon. That's how it does it. And an electron is flying to the universe and it wants to curve along a magnetic fields or something, it's got to push out a photon in the other direction to conserve momentum. Now you have a big blob of gas with all sorts of charge particles whizzing around, they're going to be constantly emitting photons, and they emit a very broad spectrum. Not like the atoms we talked about, we have very specific energy levels. This black body radiation is a very broad spectrum, but it has a peak that depends on the temperature. So really cold things tend to emit in the infrared. Warmer things emit invisible. So for example, you take a piece of metal, it's glowing right now, even if it's cold, just in the infrared. You can't see it. Put in the oven, heated up, put it in the forge. It starts to glow red, and then it glows white. Right. White? Hot is very hot? Why because now it's hot enough to be glowing in the visible Keep heating it up. It'll start to glow in the ultra violet. You won't see it anymore, but it be super duper hot. The temperature of something determines the peak of its emission, right, So everything in the universe that's made of charge particles glows at a certain temperature, and that temperature controls the frequency of the emission.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, a few questions. So when an electron kicks out a photon, is it still an electron?
Speaker 1: It's still an electron because a photon is neutral. Yeah.
Speaker 2: How many photons can an electron kick out? Can I just do that all the time?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what an amazing question. It makes me think of an electron as like having a bag of photons that they could run out of, right, like fuel You think of like rockets, right, and they need some source. No, an electron has an infinite number of photons. Remember, these are just wiggles in the electromagnetic field, right, And so it's not like it's kicking off some substance. But in order to conserve momentum, you have to have some momentum move to the ectromagnetic field and some momentum moves through the electron field.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, all right. So say you've got some iron, and we talked about iron having emission line spectrums where the electrons get excited and they jump to different levels and they emit light and then you hate that iron up and now it's glowing. Are you saying that the glow is more important than the jumping of the levels.
Speaker 1: The most general answer is that it depends on what it's made out of and its temperature, and in the case of stars, it's mostly black body radiation. Like when we look at the spectrum from the Sun, it's almost all black body radiation. So that's definitely the most important effect. And there's a combination of the two things. So you have the star which is glowing very broad spectrum which peaks right in the middle of our visual spectrum for our star. But then the sun has an atmosphere, and this atmosphere is gas and it's made out of various stuff, and that atmosphere will eat that spectrum. So the light we get from the Sun is a huge black body peak with a few lines removed. That's absorption spectrum. So if you look at the spectrum from the sun, you see reds and yellows and greens and blues, but then you see these black spots, these things that have been removed. That tells you what's in the atmosphere of the Sun. You can see the hydrogen lines have been removed, the sodium lines, the helium lines, the magnesium lines, and so that helps you figure out what's in the atmosphere of the Sun. So the two things happening there is the broad glow inside the sun, which we're not fully seeing because parts of it have been removed as the Sun's atmosphere eats some of those frequencies.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so the last piece we talked about for what determines the light that comes from a star is the velocity. And a bunch of listeners pointed this out that things that are moving away from you will be red shifted, just like a police siren moving away from you will have a lower sound than a police siren moving towards you. It's just a Doppler effect. And so as star emitting light as it moves away from you is going to get red shifted, and we use this red shift to measure that velocity. It's like a huge the important thing in astronomy. A star moving towards you would be blue shifted, and we can tell the red shift in the blue shift because we know the typical fingerprints. Like you get a star you've never seen before and you want to measure its red shift. Well, you might think, well, how it I know it's impossible. If the star has hydrogen lines but they're shifted by a few nanometers, and it has magnesium lines and those are shifted by the same number of nanometers, then the most likely scenario is, oh, this isn't made of some new super weird metal that looks like magnesium and hydrogen but shifted. It's just magnesium and hydrogen and it's been shifted due to the red shift. So you can fit these lines, these specter, these absorption and emission lines, to tell you the frequency shift of an individual star. And so that definitely affects the color of the star in the sky. And almost everything in the sky is moving away from us, so they're all red shifted.
Speaker 2: I'm having one of those moments where I'm just so proud of our species for figuring all of this out, Like that's so many different things to keep track of. It's so incredible that we got there and that we understand all of this stuff and anyway way to go humans.
Speaker 1: This is the amazing thing about astronomy is that you cannot leave the Earth. Mostly you've got to figure out the puzzle of the universe from these clues. And we didn't assemble this experiment in this way. We stumbled over these things. People had moments of insight where they realized, hold on a second, this pattern actually reveals this thing about the universe. Those are incredible realizations, so powerful. And let me just qualify what I said a moment ago about everything moving away from us. Galaxies are moving away from us, and those are all red shifted. Most of the stars in the Milky Way are held together by the gravity of the Milky Way, and so those aren't red shifted and moving away from us. The stars in the night sky are the ones from the Milky Way. Those are the ones we can see. They're not red shifted. But other galaxies are red shifted.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, that is amazing. Let's take a break, and when we get back, we're going to talk about the color of our very own sun. All Right, we're back, and Daniel wants to tell us about why Niel de grass Tyson is wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say that. I do want to dismantle a lot of pop sign myths that you.
Speaker 2: Hear from Neil de grass Tyson.
Speaker 1: I didn't say that. I didn't say that. I just want to say that, you know, on this podcast, we'd like to dig deep, well past the usual pop side explanations and tell you what's really going on. So you know, we're interested in the colors of the stars in general. But of course our sun is near and dear to our hearts. Why does the sun have its particular color? And the Sun's color is actually fascinating because if you were out in space and you were looking at the sun, it's white, right, And what does it mean for the sun to be white? White isn't like a color. It's a mixture of the colors, and it's sort of the way your brain responds when you see a very broad spectrum of light across the visible range. So out of space, the sun is white. Here on Earth because of the effects of the atmosphere. The sun looks a little yellower, right, because the atmosphere tends to scatter blue light, which is why the sky, which doesn't have its color of its own, looks blue, right, because it's reflecting blue light. Air itself is not blue, but we see it as blue because it's reflecting blue light. And so the sun has some of the blue removed, which makes it look a little yellower to our eyes.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so cool. And again yet another thing that we had to account for to understand all of this stuff.
Speaker 1: Amazing, And the reason the sun glows at this color is because of its temperature. The surface of the Sun is about five thousand kelvin and what we're seeing when we look at the Sun is its surface, right. We can't see through it. It's opaque. Another bit of popsight you hear a lot is that it takes like thousands of years for a photon to go from the center of the Sun to the surface. And like, I don't even know what that means, because you know what's happening is photons are made at the center of the sun, but the sun is opaque, so then they just get reabsorbed and they contribute to the overall heat of the sun. An individual photon doesn't go from the center of the sun to the edge of the sun. It just heats up the sun and the surface emits a new fresh photon.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, I mean I can't say that. You know, Ada came home from the playground. It was like, did you know that a photon at the center of the sun takes you know, blah blah blah get to the edge. I had never heard that before, but now I'm enlightened.
Speaker 1: I hear that a lot. Okay, And so you can mimic the same spectrum that the sun makes by heating up like a piece of tungsten to the same temperature. You have a five thousand degree filament of tungsten, it will emit in the same spectrum as the sun. Right, it's not one hundred percent true, because the Sun is not a perfect black body radiator, right, It does reflect some things, it's not a perfect absorber. So the peak of the distribution for the Sun is actually in the green spectrum. And so this is why you might hear some popseye folks being like, did you know the sun is actually green?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, so now let's take down that hypothetical. Did you know the sun is actually green? Person?
Speaker 1: So saying that that the sun peaks in the green is actually saying, if you had a perfect black body radiator at five thousand kelvin, it would peak in the green. But we don't have a perfect black body radiator. Our son actually peaks in the violet. And where it peaks depends a little bit on how you're doing the accounting, like are you doing it in wavelength? Are you doing in frequency? These things have a non linear relationship, and so there's some like calculus that goes on there, but which gets accounted into which bin And so it's not really even true saying that the sun peaks in the green, and even if it peaks in the green, you would still see it as white in space. It's not like out in space the sun is green or violet or any of these things. Really, it's just most accurately said that there's a broad spectrum that if the sun were a perfect black body radiator, would peak in the green, but it isn't, so it peaks in.
Speaker 2: The violet, which is my favorite color. So thank you, universe. There we go.
Speaker 1: Why don't I see it on your arm. Then why aren't you painting your launcher room violet.
Speaker 2: If we had been doing this podcast when I was painting my bathroom, you would have seen my purple arm.
Speaker 1: Well, I have purple on the wall behind me as well. See I'm a big fan.
Speaker 2: Oh it's a great color, best color, all right, So tell me about how we get colors for some other stars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we've learned that star color depends on its temperature and on what its atmosphere is made out of and its velocity. So most of the stars in the universe are smaller than our star. The Sun is a big star compared to the average star, which is more like a red dwarf. So smaller stars have less gravitational pressure, so they're not as hot, so they burn and they glow in the red more than in the yellow. So that's why they're called red dwarfs. Right, So smaller stars burn cooler and slower, they're longer lived, and they tend to be redder. So a lot of the stars out there in the universe are cooler on their surface than are a star, but there are some that are hotter. Blue giants, for example, super enormous stars very hot on their surface because of the crazy fusion happening at their core, they tend to glow in the blue. So if you look at the spectra of stars, you see a really big range. They are fewer that are bluer because those are bigger and burn brighter and burn out faster. Red stars tend to burn a lot longer, like our star is going to last billions of years. Really big huge blue stars can sometimes only last millions, where as little tiny red giants we think maybe can last hundreds of billions or even longer, much longer than the age of the universe. So we don't really even have a measure for it.
Speaker 2: Is there any relationship between the temperature which is star burns and what we think its ability to sustain life is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great question. We have this one clue, right that we have life around a yellow star and not a red star. And does that mean that life only happens around yellow stars or are we weird and unusual and most of the aliens out there look up at a red sun. Yeah, we don't know. Red stars tend to be a little bit more variable sometimes, and so there's arguments there, but it's all based on this an equals one so until we meet the aliens, we won't know the answer to those questions.
Speaker 2: And I feel like if you could be at the right spot next to a red star, that would give you more time for life to pop up. But I guess if it's more variable, not necessarily and it's colder, and what does that do? And anyway, all right, yeah, we need more data.
Speaker 1: We definitely need more data. And what's in the star definitely does have an impact, Like if there's magnesium in the atmosphere, then those lines are removed from the star. But that doesn't really change the star that you see from the naked eye because you can't tell that individual slice of the spectrum has been removed. It still looks red to your eye. But if you pass these things through a prism, you will notice that different stars, even if they have the same temperature, have different spectrum because they have different lines removed, and that tells you what they're made out of. Most stars still totally hydrogen, like the universe started out all hydrogen. Mostly still hydrogen, but the elemental mixture does affect the lines in the atmosphere, so it will affect the color of the star technically.
Speaker 2: So we've talked about a lot of different things that influence star color. When I look at at the stars at night, Am I understanding correctly that the thing that mostly determines the color I see is how hot they're burning?
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is mostly determined by how big they are?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So yeah, Redder stars are smaller and bluer stars are bigger.
Speaker 2: Got it. I'll appreciate that so much more now.
Speaker 1: And it's incredible what we can learn about these stars just from the pattern of the light, or that we even figured out that you can break up light into components, and that it contains all of this useful information right always makes me wonder what happened we yet figured out what information is landing on the planet screaming itself, screaming clues about the universe that we haven't yet figured out that in a few hundred years people will be like, oh my gosh, you guys were such idiots.
Speaker 2: You know, I wonder the same thing in biology, What are the things that we're missing that people will laugh at us for in the future. But you know, all you can do is take incremental steps forward and then be willing to take those steps backwards when you learn that you're wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and take things apart and try to learn about them right exactly. Pass your parasites through a prism, See what bits they're made out of.
Speaker 2: Tell me what you find out, and everybody out.
Speaker 1: There come up with your favorite color and your favorite parasite.
Speaker 2: Ah, what's your favorite parasite? Daniel?
Speaker 1: All the ones that are not in me?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a lot, that's a lot. You must really like parasites.
Speaker 1: I approve of their choice to not be inside me right now.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, you know, as we were telling a listener the other day, they don't have a lot of choice. But I'm glad that they're not in you.
Speaker 1: And I hope that this has helped you appreciate the beauty of the night sky. And next time you're out camping or on a beach in Costa Rica protecting turtles from raccoons, you'll appreciate that the night sky is colorful and that those colors communicate information about the nature of the universe, what's going on in the hearts of these big, furious balls of fusion.
Speaker 2: Enjoy the night sky. Friends. Daniel and Kelly's Extraordinary Universe is produced by iHeartRadio. We would love to hear from you we really would.
Speaker 1: We want to know what questions you have about this extraordinary universe.
Speaker 2: We want to know your thoughts on recent shows, suggests for future shows. If you contact us, we will get back to you.
Speaker 1: We really mean it. We answer every message. Email us at Questions at Danielankelly.
Speaker 2: Dot org, or you can find us on social media. We have accounts on x, Instagram, Blue Sky and on all of those platforms. You can find us at D and K.
Speaker 1: Universe will be shy right to us