Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte. So, you, guys, this is exciting. I have my very first expert on. She is doctor Hillary Goldscher. She's a clinical psychologist based in Beverly Hills. She has over ten years of experience of being a therapist and she is incredibly smart. So we're going to talk to her about some general issues and topics of Sex and the City, but also we're going to talk to her about they have Married Pigs and the sex tape storyline. Okay, hi, doctor Goldscher, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: It's so nice to be here.
Speaker 1: So wow, wow, I'm so excited. You're my first expert.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to train you on.
Speaker 1: Ya ya, I love it, love it. But part of the reason that I'm excited to have you on is that one of the things that I want to talk about in general with the show and rewatching, especially the beginning of Sex and the City. I don't know if you have rewatched, or if you've seen the beginning long time ago. In the beginning or more recently.
Speaker 2: I saw it as a fan a long time ago. Now, in preparation for this podcast, I watched I think episode one, no no, season one, episode two and three.
Speaker 1: Oh great, Okay, so you missed the pilot, which is fine because my big questions do have to do with two and three. But I mean, really, what I want is I'm so kind of I had not rewatched it until this podcast because for me, I didn't want to live in the past. You know, I felt like that's the past, and in my mind I had made it somehow less good or whatever than like what we did as we went along. I don't know exactly why, but you know, we got this kind of wonderful opportunity to develop as we went you know, HBO really let us develop and change and shift. So like to me, in the beginning, we really didn't know what we were doing. We filmed the whole first season without it being on the air. We didn't know the response. We were so nervous about how people were going to respond. And in some ways that makes sense because a there weren't really for women talking about relationships and sex so openly, right, So there was a lot of kind of shock and oh my god. But then also when I watched the first episode when we got picked up, which is models and mortals, there's this crazy sex tape storyline and I didn't remember it at all, Okay, Like I I was just like, what is happening?
Speaker 2: Like no apology for filming with no consent.
Speaker 1: Right, no apology whatsoever. And so I want to talk to you about like those types of issues and how we've changed since then culturally, like the cultural kind of norms and conversations around things I feel like have changed. And I think that's a really good exams And I'm shocked that we I mean, I have thoughts and I want to know your thoughts on like the fact that Carrie had to sit there with them and watch it and say, like I need a cigarette, Like what's that about? You know?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean it's so interesting because it so deliberately casts everyone in the perceived cultural roles that we're supposed to embody, right, Harry is sort of cast as the like bothered witness, right right, that isn't supposed to have any other reaction, but like I'm a little hot and bothered and maybe a little uncomfortable, And isn't that sort of cute and sweet? Right right? And the idea of impact from the male's perspective, Like, how does anyone feel in this scenario isn't really adopted or explored. Having said that, I mean just to hold both sides. We can talk about our opinions, our thoughts in a moment, but holding both sides, there is sort of an interesting unapology jetic freedom around sex, right, no shock value around these sort of fantasies and ideas and thoughts. And there's something interesting about that. I mean, we've pivoted to a completely other place currently for the most part, and perhaps something is lost. I don't think we would want to retain the lack of like consent and boundaries and like open conversation about what's comfortable to people. But perhaps there's like a spontaneity and an even enjoyable impulsivity that is lost in translation.
Speaker 1: That's true, That's a good point. I mean, I do think that in the beginning of the show, and from the column that Candace Pushnell had written, the non judgmental part was huge, right that, like they're kind of just reporting Candace and her alter ego that she created for the column, are just reporting what they've heard, you know what I'm saying, They're not part of they're not saying, yes, this is fine, They're just like, this is what happened, this is what this dude is doing, you know, and that's what he's doing, you know, which is interesting from so many perspectives, and I feel like, yes, at the time, it was a huge kind of taking the lid off right, like freedom to discuss how does everyone feel about it? What would you do? What do you think?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Which was great and that's partly why I wanted to do this podcast is that so many of those themes and kind of issues we talked about are so interesting to look at now, like are they still relevant? Are they not relevant? And I mean, obviously, were we to come across this guy now, it would be a whole different reaction, and rightly so. But on the other hand, I think at the time, because it wasn't really discussed, there was a freedom we were trying to say, like we're going to put it out there, We're not going to necessarily judge it. The different characters might have different feelings about it, Like remember when Kerrie then tells Samantha like, oh, you don't want to go over there because this guy's filling you know, models with and then she's like, well, I want to be filmed, you know. And I thought when I was watching it, like maybe that was Candice and or whoever she was writing about kind of trying to take back the power of of that. What do you make of Samantha's.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was just going to say, I think Samantha's POV in general is actually really valuable because with her it's not really about consent per se. She's sort of always up for whatever and will narrate her feelings and desires with sort of unabashed energy. And there's something about a woman, even now, certainly back then, a woman taking responsibility for her own sexual journey, her own sexual pleasure. Yeah, and it's curious and excited and energetic and connected and unashamed. Yes, so powerful, right, is something that I think is so completely relevant. I mean, today versus then, there's more dialogue around that and more embodiment of that dynamic. But many women still feel like, is it okay for me to talk about my own orgasm in the context of my relationship with my girlfriends, with my therapist. It's still to some people not okay, or maybe there's a limit to how much you can discuss it or how much you can focus on it once actual desire and journey. So I love that piece of it and the through line in terms of Samantha's character and perspective, you know, kind of throughout the series as far as I can remember, really hold space for that.
Speaker 1: It does, and it's very unique, Like it's hard to come up with in your mind other characters in film or television who are so free and so connected. She's not free where you're like that girl's damaged. You're like, she's just that's who she is, and she's not going to apologize, And there's something so amazing, and I feel like that's why people there are, you know, so many people who are so connected and resonant with Samantha because she's so powerful and such a great example that like most of us would struggle to try.
Speaker 2: To be like absolutely and relative to men's sexual journey, both back then and now, it's sort of fair for men to ow and direct and dedicate like machismo and energy to their sexual pursuits, but for women that's still even today. Absolutely, if we ran into Samantha, it's your reaction to it in her community, you know, in terms of the people that she touched and interacts with. So I love the representation. I love the idea that they're still room to think about how do women like on a macro and a micro level, embody their sexuality in a way that of course reflects boundaries and pace and rhythm and changing of minds, right, But also it's like, what am I curious about? What am I interested in? What am I excited about? Like being able to hold both is an amazing notion.
Speaker 1: It is an amazing notion. And I definitely feel that we're still struggling, you know, to get there, and we're I feel kind of confused in a way. I don't know if I'm reading into it, but like for me, so here, we've been doing the show. You know, we started in nineteen ninety seven, which is insane to think about, right, like so long ago, and yet now you can still talk about almost all the different themes. Like if you look at the pilot, the pilot was ghosting. We didn't call it that, but it was ghosting. And then it was can women have sex like men? Which is basically what we're talking about, Like, for whatever reason, the way that men are socialized and or hardwired, Like I'm not sure you know which it is. They have a lot more freedom. It seems like overall. Maybe this is stereotype. I don't know, but they seem to have a lot more freedom, Like this is what I'm into, you know, don't kink shame me? You know what I mean? Like they're very quickly defensive, like, how dare you kink shame me? You know what I'm saying, which I mean, I don't want to go too far, but sometimes people who have done things that are not consensual with other people, or the other people at least say that they weren't consensual, then say you're kink shaming me, which is super fascinating, like the woman is. It's just like sometimes I feel like we're on very different pages.
Speaker 2: Still, I think men are bestowed with a right to explore and declare their sexuality and women are not. It's evolved, it is still a distinct difference in terms of that openness and flexibility expected from fascinating.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like it's a hardwired thing or do you feel like it's socialization.
Speaker 2: I think it's a combination of both. I don't think we can deny the roles of men and women. You know, long ago in terms of being sort of hunters and gathers men, which cast in the role of taking care of and going out in the community and pursuing and bringing back and in sort of that powerful in control role and meant to you know, sort of keep things in the community coming and buzzing and creating. Right, And so then also have this sort of primitive edict to pro create, and women are supposed to be the you know, passive participant in that. I mean sort of from a primitive standpoint. That's how were And so I think some of it has been internalized in terms of the internal desires that men and women feel. That men do feel a poll to procreate and women do feel a poll to like make a home and like take care of. Some of that feels viscerally true for men. So I agree some of it is chemical, biological hormonal that's sort of in there. Even most evolved women sometimes acknowledge, Yeah, I still have this poll to be in that role, even though I don't even know if I intellectually want to be. So there's something in there that feels like it comes from an organic place. But there's no question that many many arenas in our culture and society support just this, you know, this idea that women are still supposed to play small or they can only play and embody sort of a larger persona if it's sexual in nature, right in the object of desire or affection. Obviously, there are many, many exceptions, and women have evolved in many ways in many roles, but I'm talking about sort of these stereotypes that are so woven into the culture. It's much more acceptable for men to expand and take up space in all the ways, including sexuality, and it's much less acceptable for women to do so, more so than when your show first came out.
Speaker 1: Rightly, for sure, for sure, just personally, I went through this thing where so I'm on the show, and the show, you know, we kind of had a slow burn and then more and more success, and then season three it was just like, wow, you know, you're nominated for Emmys whatever things we never thought would happen. And that was exciting, right, but it was also a lot of pressure and you had to kind of figure out how you were going to present yourself. And I have a team, you know, like a manager and a publicist at an agent, and I remember when we got nominated for the Emmys. I didn't know what to wear, and so I go to a stylist. I first I went to all these designers myself, and then I went to a stylist because all everyone on my team had different opinions. So I had this one dress that was like a cutout, like very sexy, skin bearing dress, very not me, like I was not really that comfort with it, but the designer really wanted me to wear it. My manager was like, you've got to wear that because people don't think you're sexy because you play the prude on the show. And I was like, really, are you sure because I am still on Sex and the City, like the show itself is about talking about sex and working through these things or whatever. He's like, no, no, no, you need to wear that dress with all the skin. Then my publicist, my head publicist, was like, oh no, Darling's your She's like, you need to wear this princess dress because you know class and you know, and I was like okay. So it was this whole thing of like how do I present myself? What am I trying to do? Who am I within this conversation and it was super stressful. And then my mother, of course would not be wanting me to be wearing this skin bearing situation, so I would have to deal with her feelings. So I went with I think a middle ground. I think I found a middle ground that I liked. I was like, I'm just gonna wear what I like. I had talked to the girls about what they were wearing. We were trying to coordinate, right, but like just trying to find what you're presenting. And then you look at how people resent themselves. Now it's totally normal to have almost everyone on a red carpet in a sheer dress where potentially their nipples are showing, Like this never would have happened back in the olden days. We were scared about showing our nipples on the show. We were like, oh my god, they want us to show our nipples. We were so worried about it, right, like would we be shunned, would we be you know, cast out or by the film world or whatever, which is kind of insane to think about, right because now they don't even really put sex in films, right, Like, just all of this stuff is so interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's so interesting. Your personal journey about reconciling what your character represented and who you are in a relationship to that and the public perception. That's so interesting that you had your own journey about what do I want in communicate? It makes so much sense because I imagine you didn't want to be cast as just that as now herself in real life and even as the character she's meant to be a much more nuanced than that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, but that took some time, right, Like she wasn't. None of us were, with the exception of Carrie, none of us were really started in a nuanced way. We just brought what we brought and they wrote towards us. And in that way, we were just incredibly lucky that that happened and that we got to continue on still to this day, thank god. Right, And so for me, I mean, people say like, oh, are you worried about being typecasts whatever? I was like, why spend time worrying about this? You know, we know this is how our business is. It is what it is. I love Charlotte, right, Like, I'm not against Charlotte in anyway. She's great in so many ways, and in the beginning she wasn't all of those things. But in my inners she was. You know what I'm saying, Like inside. I was playing. I was trying to play all those things and bring all those things, and I didn't feel like, oh gosh, I'm such a prude, like that never entered my mind because I know myself, right, and I know my own existence, but also didn't feel like, oh, I want to go prove to everybody that are not approved. That seems crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the way that the perspectives played out over the seasons did a service for the viewers, right in the sense that I mean, there's always conversation of who are who are you? Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Able to relate to the different aspects of oneself and have them represented in such silos really gave an opportunity to like consider yourself in relation to each of those kinds of personas.
Speaker 1: That's well put. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And just to reflect back on what you were saying in terms of this evolution of right there, you were worried about showing a bit of cutout or your nipples or something. In today, I think we just had someone naked of the Grammy red carpet, right. I mean, so the evolution is stark, but it's interesting because I think you're making me think about the fact that it is one arena and rightfully so that women have claimed empowerment right that, like, I can show myself and present myself and my body in any way I choose, and any feedback or criticism that is bestowed upon me I refuse to accept as a narrative about who I am. I get to decide. And it's really interesting that presenting oneself in a sexy way is a way of kind of curating empowerment. Now that's one way, it's not the right one way that really claim and prior women felt that the judgment that might come from doing a small version of that was too big of a sacrifice. And now it's really utilized as a tool of like a declaration of independence.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's well put. That's well put. I mean it's so true, and I feel like that is a big shift, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I hope that.
Speaker 1: Women or younger women especially, I hope that they perceive it as an empowering thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I was just going to say, I mean, an important nuance to that. Maybe it's obvious, but we're saying, is that that may or may not resonate with an individual woman, right, an individual one, So that that's not for me that that that isn't how my soul wants to express empowerment. Great and the natural that's exactly how my soul wants to express empowerment as right right.
Speaker 1: Right there shouldn't be pressure, It should be very uniquely you and organic to you. And that that's I think the big message, and I feel like in some ways that was also what we were hoping the message was in terms of all four of us being so distinct, right like, And that was one thing we wanted to talk about too with you, is female friendships. And you know, back in the beginning, Charlotte was this different voice I kept, you know, continually talking about wanting to get married or whatever, which is obviously very opposite to Samantha and the other tour in the middle kind of well not really, They're like no, and then different things happened to them in life. But you know, it's I love how people really gravitate to, you know, when like the line when I eventually I can't remember if it's season three, season four, and I say, maybe we could just be each other's soulmates, you know, and people still talk about this, and it's so amazing what people gravitate to and hold on to and what do what do you think of that? And what do you think of that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Like, is female friendship more out in the open or more honored?
Speaker 2: Do you think? Well? I then I think it was a more unique concept and presented an alternative that really resonated with community that like, oh, maybe there's an alternative. Maybe I don't have to find the perfect person and be married or partnered to be valued and in community with others. Maybe there's an acceptability to my community of women and sort of if you will, that can be we're talking about empowerment, another potential source of empowerment that starts to chip away at the often less than feeling women feel if they're not partnered.
Speaker 1: Right, can you just re say that because it was so good, I just want to hear it again.
Speaker 2: So, women, unlike men, have this edict to be partnered, I mean specifically to get married, but to be partnered. And in the absence of that, there's an direct and indirect sense that you have not completed your life mission. You know that you are or inadequate in some way. Yeah, So this presentation in that episode offered an alternative, Well, maybe you can be good enough and empowered and in affiliation and community through friendship, through other alternatives, maybe the definition of who I am can be more expansive than just by related to a man or related to the possibility of marriage and a family.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it still just needs to be repeated, like out in the world so much. I mean, as a single person myself, it's just kind of an ongoing thing like why are you single? Everyone's just very perplexed. Why are you single? They just can't quite I.
Speaker 2: Think that narrative is probably still as present as it.
Speaker 1: Was back then, which is so interesting, right.
Speaker 2: I think there's more dialogue around it. There's more table and sort of organic dialogue about Wow, what a strange phenomenon and wow, I feel that pressure and why and isn't that strange? But I still think it exists. That is similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that definitely.
Speaker 2: I internally feel some degree of shame if they aren't partnered and specifically not married. And so I love that we're holding this dialogue up again because there's such a truth. I mean, the show embodied it, but there's such a truth in community, the power of community.
Speaker 1: Right, absolutely, I really hope we were talking about this by producer and I Hannah about like for the young let's say twenties, let's put women specifically, not leaving you out men on purpose. But I work with a bunch of younger women at work when we're doing and just like that, which is so much fun and super interesting, right, because they all have just different takes on things, and I'd love to hear their point of view. And they definitely definitely talk about you know, we talk about men and relationships and you know whatever, women and they want love, right, But I don't hear them talking about getting married or want to get married or feeling the pressure to get married.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Some of them come from other places where like all their friends are married, and we talk about that, which I definitely had as well growing up in South Carolina. But they're saying they're kind of like, well, we're on our own journey, you know, we're here in New York, We're you know, doing this, we're doing that. We're on our own journey. But they were definitely looking for love, right. And then there's some of them who have friends who got married in their twenties, which is super interesting to me in a kind of bohemian way, right where they're still hanging out with all their single friends. There's not the separation so much that we used to have in like Mary Bay of Pigs. It's very clearly demarked, right, And I certainly experienced this in terms of my own life, Like when someone got married, they shifted into this other kind of world where you know they've moved, they're going to have a baby soon, you know they're on it's tracked. It's like a certain tract that you get on when you get married. And that was your goal and you were doing it whatever, or it wasn't your goal, and you did it. You know what I'm saying, Not myself but my friends. Yeah, but I mean I, as the single person, would make all kinds of efforts to still be in their lives. And you know, my best girlfriends, I'm still in their lives, thank god, and you know they're all still married, which is kind of amazing. But you might be in their life and then they might get divorced and whatever, they'd have kids and you go through that with them. But as a single person, I felt like I had to make an effort to be there, you know what I'm saying, Like like I'm Auntie Kristen and I'm here. You know, I'm available, I'm babysitting, I'm doing this, I'm doing that, so that I'm part of that whole existence. But now I feel like it's a little looser in terms of the demarcation. You know, but I don't feel like society as a whole is necessarily caught up. Like, for instance, when you go to a wedding. You know, if you go to a wedding as a single person, you are still over there at this wacky table that has like kids and possibly some grandparents and yourself, which is a nightmare. You know, it's really rough, and it hasn't changed. It's coming in the show when we have weddings, and it's highly entertaining, I think, But like, I can't believe that it hasn't changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're raising so many important issues. The first I want to acknowledge and validate. You are right that not just young young women, but relationship with marriage has shifted and has evolved. There are plenty of people that feel less pressure, feel like they can avail themselves of other options outside of marriage, whether it's long term partnership or just dating. Right, women feel much less pressure to get married, to have a family earlier. There has been absolutely some evolution. God, yeah, one of the things that was in my mind. And this is anecdotal rather than empirical, but in my practice I see adults, so a lot of adult women who are either single or have gone through divorce, who discuss, amongst other notions, but who discuss this still like internal kind of deep rooted shame around singlehood. So it's not as if the dialogue and conversation and even behavior hasn't changed. And what I'm saying might not be true for everyone, but anecdotal a still work with many women who still have that like internalized notion that there's a less than quality, if not or at least in a relationship. So I want to acknowledge that there's a shift, and yet some of that narrative still exists for some women. Definitely, Yeah, but what you were saying, I think is it remains a truth. I mean in some of it is just the is like a systemic issue being in Western culture. When you get married, generally speaking, you are going to spend more of your time with your husband, You're going to have a family, and it is going to mean that you have less flexibility to be in community right right through in Western culture, and obviously there's many many exceptions. People of course exist with a lot of intention differently, which is lovely, but it often happens that our married friend or are assumed to be mama a friend is not as available, leaving the pursuit of connection to the single person who has more flexibility based on this system. We're talking about that.
Speaker 1: Most definitely, most definitely, and in the particular show Bay of Married Pigs, which we love so much because when I looked back on it, the show is so much better than I realized, and all of the building blocks that were to kind of get fleshed out later are there in Bay of Married Pigs, which is really was kind of amazing to me, and in some ways they're there even earlier, but it really kind of gels and Bay of Married Pigs. But you know, Carrie's begins with Carrie visiting her married friends in the Hamptons and then this, you know, the husband is standing they're naked in front of her in the hallway and she's just like, oh, you know, what do I do? And then she tells the wife and then she has to leave, which they don't show that part right, So it's unclear how difficult that was or uncomfortable or whatever, but clearly it was uncomfortable enough to the married friend that she that sent carry back to the city. And then we see them later and Carrie's not mad at her, which is also interesting, Like Carrie really puts up with so much. You know, she's like very easy going about everybody's feelings about everything she's doing. But she didn't actually do this thing. The man did it. So let's just discuss that for a second and the wife's reaction, because it is super interesting in terms of do you feel still that there is a thing about married women feeling that single women are a threat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Anecdotally, I think women in long term partnerships that have kids, with the stressors of like raising kiddos and mortgage and all the like not so cute things about life, start to feel that loss of intimate and romantic connection. I mean, it's an old narrative because it exists often it's hard to be married and raise kids and stay yeah in a way that feels dynamic and sustainable. So I think it's an outgrowth of that. Yeah, anything that like there's this like disaffiliation in long term marriages sometimes and it's less about the married person specifically, or even the entity of less about the single person specifically, or even single hood or single women, and more about the difficulty of like long term marriages.
Speaker 1: That is often, Yeah, that's so smart, that's so smart. It makes so much sense. I hadn't thought about it like that, having never been married, but that makes a lot of sense. Is that it's like a projection almost in terms of you're just struggling through it, and you might not have the strength of the connection that you had when you first fall in love, and so then that other person who's not in that same situation seems threatening just because you don't have all of the things that you wish you had from your spouse.
Speaker 2: There's like a like a disorientation destabilization that marges as you just try to get through raising kids and staying connected and the logistics, and it also can be lovely and amazing and beautiful. It ebbs and flows for most people. So of course it's a representation of like the wish for connection, maybe the wish to have that kind of freedom, and the potential threat of someone else catching your partner's attention. Because it's hard to facilitate a way sometimes to feel connected or catch your partner's attention when you're just dealing with the days goings on, right, I think that's that remain that piece remains present, and in a way maybe more so because it's even harder to be a parent and be in marriage these days. There's more pressure to have your kid show up in the world a certain.
Speaker 1: Way, and it isn't there gosh.
Speaker 2: So I imagine that still exists in different forms in ways. I think in the in the episode it felt more of a more dichotomous in the sense that the issue at hand was like, oh, is my husband going to want another woman? You know sure sexually be drawn to another woman? And what kind of threat am I under when it is around? You know?
Speaker 1: So even though she had done anything like that, that's the part as a single person, I'm like, but she was just standing there like it's so hard, and it's like Samantha at the party and the different of the financial guy. She's trying to talk to this guy about investing and then his wife comes up and it is like you got to come in here, and she's just standing there, the poor woman trying to get some advice on you know, investment. Do you know what I mean? Like, I've felt that myself.
Speaker 2: For a projection, and I think that's that's really a spot on. It's it's a don't even mean it to be critical. We all engage in projections. It's like a bunch of projections going on, right, Yeah, listen, conversation and innocent meeting in the hallway. Right projection is like, oh gosh, I'm under threat. Something's going on here and right, As I said, I think part of it might be the situation and the women themselves, but most of it, I think is just the entity and complication of long term partnership.
Speaker 1: It's f right, No, that's beautifully put, so well put. Oh my gosh. And obviously the show's perspective is not that perspective, right. The show was importantly trying to be on the single person's perspective because that is kind of unrepresented at that point and underrepresented still. I would say, that's right.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's not an unimportant POV how it feels to be on the receiving end of that energy, because if you're Harrie in that scenario, you might feel rejected or disaffiliated or misunderstood and not a part of there is that scene where she arrived and she was sort of the only single person in trying to find right place and space. So the energy, the dual energy is interesting and paradoxical right coming at her maybe is some sense of threat or envy and coming back as some sense of life. We're exactly do I belong right?
Speaker 1: And that's where I mean. Carrie is so interestingly just investigating it all, you know. She's like, I'm trying to figure out who I am in this and maybe I don't want to get married. When she's with the the marrying guy, she's like, I don't think I want this. Here's Charlotte, you see if you want it, and we were going to talk about this. I don't know if we have time. But like for me, I didn't feel like that was weird at all that she's like, no, this is not for me. Charlotte tried out, and then Charlotte tries it out, but she has a very strong picture of what she wants and that dude's not it. So he doesn't like the china she likes. She's like out, you know, which I think is so hysterical for a girl. Who talks about like I just want to get married. I just want to get married. I just want to get married. She's like, oh bad China pattern. No, like she's got her own her own criteria. Right, that's right, right, super interesting. But Carrie too, right, Like Carrie's like, well, I tried this out and he brought the mobile out for the baby, and that just turned me right off. I am not that girl.
Speaker 2: Well, we're talking about the intersection of macro and micro, these macro under the surface dynamics and then these micro idiosyncrasies like I want someone to like be in community with me about my China pattern. You know, it's like this mystery, magical thing that has to come together for people to choose each other and it to work. You know. So it really highlights all those complexities you know, that are in many ways totally intangible. What makes it happen and be sustainable.
Speaker 1: Definitely, and why we still get to, you know, talk about the show and make a different version of the show and I mean they're so it's kind of like a never ending investigation into all of those things.
Speaker 2: It really just hits on so many topics that are interesting to explore in terms of how they evolved and some that have like remained steady and the relevant. It's a really interesting way.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you for joining us. You're so smart and wonderful.
Speaker 2: Oh it's so fun to come. I could talk forever. I wish I didn't me too.
Speaker 1: I know we'll have you back and we'll talk about the next the next couple themes.
Speaker 2: Ye, well doctor, your first expert.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you, it was really fun. I mean, as you can see, I could just keep talking all day. So thank you for your time, and have a eat day and we'll have you back. I can't wait. So thank you, Thank you, doctor Culcher. Bye,