Speaker 1: Shark Tank. Yeah, what's your introduction to Shark Tank? How did you hear about it? And how does the relationship with Shark Tank start?
Speaker 2: I got a call one day. I was doing some gigs on real estate on the Today's show, like once a month or something like that, and I got a call from a producer named Mark Burnett, who I had no idea was a big producer or his assistant. I don't mean to overplay that. His assistant called me asking me if i'd be interested in the show described I said, sure, signed the contract with him. Four days, isn't it? Write at send it back? And then two days before I was headed to Shark Tank and told all my friends, I'm going to Hollywood. Wow, I'm going to Hollywood. I bought new outfits, I bought new luggage. I get to the whole nine yards. You know. I got a call saying they changed your mind. They invited another woman. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe. But I did what I did do always very well in my old career. I didn't take it laying down. I sat down again. I'm going to use the word piss sat down, wrote the email to Mark Burnett, you're making mistake. I consider your mistake my lucky charm. Blah blah blah. I've had all the best things happen in my life on the heels of rejections. And I cited Sister Stella Marie telling me I'd be stupid, the Old Boy Network telling me I'd never compete with them in the Old Boy Network, defeating Donald Trump when he said I never see a penny of the four million dollar commission, and I just cited the high points, and then I said, I suggest you invite both women out to LA and we compete for the seat. And that's exactly what he did. Thank god I wrote that email. I've been on Shark Tank. What imagine if I didn't have all those delicious entrepreneurs I got to work with. I mean, I'm sure I'd found another way to make a living because I'm a worker, but I wouldn't have had as satisfying career as I've had.
Speaker 1: That's a valuable point because a lot of times people would have just taken it the rejection and moved.
Speaker 2: On, move on. It seems prudent when you think move on, get over it. Yeah, but what is important? The piece that I have learned working with my entrepreneurs, is the space between people move on a great entrepreneur. I've seen it again and again with every single person who has made a lot of money and really been successful. They take less time feeling sorry for themselves. They take the hit, but they don't wallow in it, you know, they just get back up and say, hit me again, almost like they have a low IQ of like that kind of thing, you know. But those are the winners. Those are the people who just keep coming back, keep coming back at you. And that's far more important than intelligence or knowledge or anything else. I think it's a drive to come back when you've been hit. I haven't really thought of anything more important than that in my whole life and watching my entrepreneurs, that is the number one trait, without it, without a doubt in my mind.
Speaker 3: So in fifteen years, as these people are walking with their businesses, the first thing you're looking for is do they have the drive? What are some of the characteristics that you're looking at the present I have a test.
Speaker 2: I mean to present. The presenting is great, but you know there's a lot of pressure on the show to ask a lot of questions rapid fire really fast. Very often it's a hard thing to really get to know the person. I'm trying to dig for bad backgrounds, fathers that were drunks, mothers that dan in the hell. I know that sounds stupid, but if they came through adversity, I'm in it. If somebody's a rich kid and got the first round, family hate family and friends, family and friends, you don't need me. Just go to your family and friends, you know. But the most important thing happens to me. I invite intentionally everybody i'm sign a contract with. Three months after I signed, I invite them to New York to discuss with me what are the biggest issues. And they come very well prepared. But I watch, and you know what, the people who take careful notes and ask me all the questions how they're going to succeed, and ask me this and that. I know I got a loser. When somebody's sitting there and politely listening and they're just going to go out on their own and do exactly as they please. I got myself a winner, because that is the nature of a great entrepreneur. The head's strong, they're driven. You know, they don't they didn't get into the business to have a boss tell them what to do. And if somebody is putting me in the position of kind of being the new boss, it's like not a good sign. I don't know if you've walked my office, but I have all my entrepreneurs in frames that I do deals with, and the minute I see them acting that way, taking notes or blaming something that went wrong on somebody else, I turned the picture around. I know they're not going to succeed. The minute you have someone who feels sorry for themselves, they don't succeed. That's been my rule all on. I'm open minded to change it, but I've never seen an exception of that. Feeling sorry for yourself makes you a victim. If you're a victim, you give your power away. If you give your power away, you don't see opportunity. If you don't see opportunity, you don't get ahead. It's like boom follow Its just like a train.
Speaker 1: Line domino effect. Yeah, so we spoke with Damon. He talked about Bomba socks. I think that was his biggest very proud, very proud.
Speaker 2: I love those Bomba socks. I hate seeing Damon, So now I'm Annoyd. I didn't get that deal.
Speaker 1: What's the deal that you remember or your top deal or one of the deals that you know it is a highlight for you.
Speaker 2: Well, the most profitable deal is definitely comfy.
Speaker 3: I mean good old comfy.
Speaker 2: Good old comfy. I mean it's not my kind of deal. I like service businesses where I could build a build an empire, or build a franchise or build something on a service back. That's my sweet spot. So it was so abnormal I should do bore them actually to actually buy that because of an oversized sweatshirts, Like I had no experience. They didn't know how much it would cause, they don't know what they would sell it for. And in two years, I can't even remember the number. It seems so absurd, like I'm making it up. I'm probably making up. But let's just say I should probably check with somebody. I think I had forty seven million dollars in sales in two years over this stupid oversized sweatshirt. Whoever saw that train coming? When I sit to them, I'll take a thirty of business on the sharks here are at all interested in this? I'll take a third for ten twenty thousand dollars. They grabbed it and that was my single my best deal, my best deal of today. Money making if that's what you'd be, money making, which is a little different than satisfaction.
Speaker 3: So what that leads the question is, so what's the most satisfying Because as you were speaking, I looked at I'm looking at the list, and I've watched the show, so I know you're more into the service space. I've actually visited some of the you know, your investments, the Cousin mains Lapses, which is incredible here in the city. So what has been the most satisfying one for you?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Because the guys have found phenomenal I'm sure you know that Great Tamon always comes out for them when you a promotion. Damon loves these guys. He always comes out and performs for them. He's a sweetheart. But these guys, one is one type of person and the other is the opposite. They've got hoods. But of the moon the great salespeople. They're good looking and if you think that doesn't count, it counts. They charmed the pancil of anybody they need, okay, and they even charmed me. They called me up to tell me how pretty I am. Do you know how good that feels. I love those guys, but they both got married to bads, have kids and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So for the entrepreneurs everybody watching Shark Tank right, what advice could you give somebody as looking to seek money from a venture capitalist or angel investors, somebody like yourself, Like, what are some things that they need to have prepared before they start pitching their business for capital?
Speaker 2: Two things they need they need to show sales and an attraction of sales going up to the roof. That's important. They also need to tell the investor, which many people on Shark Tank don't tell us, how are you going to make money? Hey, let me tell you how you're going to make money? Because any guy sitting there with money in his pocket to invest has that question right in his forehead. How am I going to make money? They're measuring everything by that basis, how am I going to make money? So I would say you have to have appreciating sales and you have to answer straight down the middle how you're going to make money and how much money youre going to make, which is hard to do. You know, most people don't do that. They project out based on industry averages. And how big the market is. And let me tell you, every investor, not just on shark Tank, but every investor writes it right. But more important than any of that is try to bootstrapping business. I'm just to believe in bootstrapping. When you're spending your own money that you slaved around for to try to make that buck and did everything in your mind to try to grab that buck, you spend it very carefully. You get about three dollars out of a dollar. You know, you're just careful with how you spend your money. When you've got family and friends or investors behind you, you just don't spend your money the same way. It's different. I don't know it shouldn't be different, but it's different when you've earned the money and you're spending your own bucks. So I think bootstrapping businesses are a great way to get started rather than going off of funding right away. Of course, if you're a technology business that takes tremendous cash to get it started, that's one thing, but those are not the majority of businesses in the United say, the majority of mom palm, mainStreet type businesses. So bootstrapping you learn everything with your own money. You learn the pain you learn, the joy you learn it all. It's different with your own money for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, talk about the branding process. I'm thinking as people come into it, they have to pitch and it happened, and like you said, most of them are mom and pop shops. Getting your name out there, getting the message out there is difficult. As you take on investors. What are some of the strategic tips that you're telling them. All Right, here's how we're going to market this now to make this.
Speaker 2: A global most the most important thing is to pick the right platform social media. When I was building my business, you had the newspapers, the major newspapers I used. You had billboards, you had gimmicks, whatever. Today it's changed. Today it's all about social media. Do you know in the last two years, I haven't invested in a single business that isn't powerful social media. They might have a little company, but the following is huge. That's a good plus. It's like having an empty box you could fill up, you know, but no, social media is where it's at. I have great social media in the house here that help people, but people really you really need someone on your team, ideally the principal who's going to push out the social media. But it's the best way to build a brand. That's all accounts anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we know what too about that too. You spoke about Donald Trump previously. You had a running with Trump during your real estate days.
Speaker 2: He was extremely useful to me when I was building my business because we used to flip the reporters back and forth. He would say, what's called the market. He says, if you don't believe me, call Barbara Corcoran and I reporters will call me and I'd back them up because he told the truth that in those days. But if I got the call, I said, you don't believe me. You know who a good guy to talk to would be a big developed Donald Trump. I flipped the call to him. So we had a somepot to go going until he owed me four million dollars. It was four million or two four million dollars, and then things changed. It turns into a litigation, lawsuit. But thank god the year he didn't want to pay me my four million dollars which I was entitled to, which was for me. I mean, we probably had a thousand Salespeople say, you'd say it was a big company, but still four million is four million. That was a big payday everything I had worked for. And when he didn't want to pay that four million dollars, thank god. I had a good year and had in my pocket five hundred thousand dollars to pay him attorney. And I bought the biggest, meanest smartness attorney in New York to fight that man, and I won the lawsuit. Now if I if I had gone back a year and the same thing happened, I wouldn't have had the money. I would have just had to grovel like all the other creditors and just give up the ship. But I collected the money, and with it I was able to spand the business again and again. But he didn't. He wasn't my friend. After he's a little fair with her.
Speaker 3: I can sense the competitiveness in you, even when you tell the story. No way, yeah, no, we sense it. So I'm even when you walked in and we were like, you know, we've had some other sharks, not you know, not as pretty, no, no no, and not as pretty and definitely not as well dressed.
Speaker 2: There you go, you're catching on. Now I'm addressed.
Speaker 3: How was that in the seats?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Because obviously we know it's a show, but there is real business that's happening about that competitive nature of I want the deal, or damn I missed this deal, or I'm glad I took it from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it gets in your way more than anything else. You know, somebody wants it. Usually, if one person wants a deal, it's a good deal, and a lot of people are after it, right, So now you've got to compete. It turns into a game of salesmanship because the money is one thing, but that's not really what makes the deals. The partnership makes the deals. Do they like you better than Damon? Do they like Damon better than Mark? Who do they relate more to? And that's what it comes down to. So I'm a great salesman. I've sold my whole life. I just push my wonderful virtues. I'm your perfect partner, perfect All my entrepreneurs are going to be your best friends. You're bored. We go on fun retreats. I sell them on everything, throw out the kitchens. They got them, and then I find that their eyes lighted something and I drill it home.
Speaker 3: You know, they want the retreat.
Speaker 2: They do love the retreat. It says some people I've closed on businesses simply because they wanted to be included in my pack of retreat people. I'm thinking, Okay, that wouldn't be floating me by but floating them.
Speaker 1: So how do you reinvent yourself? Because you're a great marketer, great storyteller, promoter, and you have different phases right, and a lot of times people get stuck in one phase and they kind of become a has been. How have you been able to reinvent yourself and stay relevant throughout all of these different errors.
Speaker 2: My secret, I don't know if it's the right one, is I try anything. I try anything. I don't think you wait until you see your out of style or the methodology you use and how you're selling is not as good as it used to be. I think it's about collaborating with people that work with you, given the freedom to come up with stupid ideas, and that everybody's excited and says, let's do this, let's do that. Four to five things I try since I went out of my real estate brokerage business A Corker group. Four to five things I fail miss But I bet you can't tell me one that I failed it right, Nobody can you just have to try all the time. That's how you discover new angles, new things, new ways of delivery, new kinds of people, new kinds of departments, new kinds of products. You just try everything. A lot of people are very conservative about wanting to have the right answer. Let's do this, this is a big one. That's what's wrong with corporate America. They have to get a committee to really all agree with everything. What's great about being a small entrepreneur is you're scrappy. You can try anything. You could think of something on a Monday and get it on the street by Thursday. You know, if you're with a big corporation, you got to get this guy's approval. The attorneys have to review, the accounts have to review, and by the time you have it on Monday, it comes out maybe four months later. That's why I've always my whole life been paying very careful attention to the little guy. I'm not afraid of the big guy, and I don't think big guys should be afraid of the other big guys. I think they have to look behind them and see who's coming up my ass. You know, who's going to take over my market? Because the little guy always is more creative and tries more stuff because they have less to lose. It makes sense, right, have less to lose. So I don't think there's a point where you reinvent your business or reinvent yourself. I think what you're always doing is shuffling your cards and trying to see a little of this, little of that and get a better formula that might work a little bit better. And then most things don't work. But as long as you get one on five, you've got an R and D department, and you're pushing ahead of your competition because you've at least tried five when they tried nothing. You know,