Speaker 1: What's Up?
Speaker 2: You're off in God's Country with Reed and Dan Is also known as The Brother's Son, where we take a weekly drive to the intersection of country music and the outdoors, two things that go together, like Lauren Hill and.
Speaker 1: Streaming up thing with this thing that's the best one I've done so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you can't come in with the harmony.
Speaker 1: Or an email co write and a Grammy.
Speaker 3: Produced by Meat Eater and iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 1: So hop on up ride Shotgun with us as we take the back roads with some of today's biggest stars behind the songs you know and love.
Speaker 3: We got a different one for you today.
Speaker 4: Most of our guests are have a background in hunting or fishing or land management or something like that. But today we're gonna sit down with Kolbe Koalay and she's really not She's not a hunter, she's not a fisherman, but but she loves kayaking, she loves the outdoors. She moved from from Malibu, she grew up in malib Boo and moved to Nashville and didn't really have a background in guns, but now shoot skeet and uh and apparently he is really good at it.
Speaker 1: You took up all the things, So stay with us and listen to this podcast. Appreciate you being here. Oh my god, that's good. True.
Speaker 4: Stick with us, y'all. Stick with us, Stay tuned, y'all. Toys and girls, and don't you go nowhere.
Speaker 1: Keep sticking with us, y'all.
Speaker 3: Stick around.
Speaker 4: Off the bat, Kobe just says, she's like, so, y'all are like for real brothers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we we are for real brothers.
Speaker 1: Didn't have a choice in the matter.
Speaker 5: If we did, you wouldn't have chosen it. Come on, you chose to work together.
Speaker 1: We did not choose to be brothers. It's two different things.
Speaker 3: Who's like each other. I'm gonna put you who's who's older?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: I can't tell? And this people do this with my sister and I. I don't want to be I don't know you guys.
Speaker 1: Feeling forced to the decision.
Speaker 5: Slightly older?
Speaker 1: You got? Yeah, it rarely gets it correct.
Speaker 3: Really, it's usually read.
Speaker 1: Yes, I really.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's pretty even.
Speaker 3: Dance four years older?
Speaker 5: Actually, oh okay, what's your sister five years older than me? But some people ask like they don't know who's older?
Speaker 1: I'm like, are you close?
Speaker 5: We're very close? Yeah, and we look kind of like twins, so people get very confused.
Speaker 3: Is that your only sibling?
Speaker 1: Gotcha? We live close, We grew up in the same room, we do the same job. It's pretty stupid, but.
Speaker 5: It's great when you're close with your family.
Speaker 1: Agree, Oh, no doubt. It's blessing friends when you have family. Yes.
Speaker 4: If you're wondering what that whose voice? That is that you probably recognize sultry tunes. This is my two thousand, my senior in high school self. Not to date this, but my senior year in high school self is it's freaking out a little bit.
Speaker 3: We got kolbe kalay.
Speaker 1: I have to be honest, out of all the people we've had on here, this is the most intimidated I've.
Speaker 4: Been, really, because you can tell. I can tell you're because you walked in little.
Speaker 1: Nervous because we know, like we know the majority of the people we've had on here and they're just old, gross dudes. You were by far, not that I'm not at all. And relief, So I'm I'm excited to have here.
Speaker 5: Than you guys. I told you, guys, I watched your I watched your show, and I was like, can't we to go hang out with them. They seem so cool. I can't believe I haven't met you around town either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've been here a minute, right.
Speaker 5: Like seven years, and I've seen you in the fire hall.
Speaker 1: What it's Sony. I've seen you at Sony before.
Speaker 5: Oh really? But I was like, you didn't say hi.
Speaker 3: No, I could say to look on nervy, nervously wasn't barely said hi when you walk.
Speaker 5: Shaking definitely jittery too, just had cold broom.
Speaker 4: So so yeah, let's can we just coco the record? Well, I just want to ask you one question off the top, would you count me in?
Speaker 5: That's nice?
Speaker 3: I never that.
Speaker 1: And I just was yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, but like back then in the day, it's just like that's somebody play that audio bit.
Speaker 3: And now I've been.
Speaker 4: Like, oh that's bubbly the first time, bubblic. But now I understand that you're probably just talking to the engineer.
Speaker 5: I was talking to my producer, and I kept coming in on the wrong spot because when I wrote the song, I played the guitar differently than when how he recorded it, and so I kept coming in wrong, which I was extremely embarrassed about, like as a musician, like how am I and this is my song? How am I getting it wrong? So I was like, will you count me in? And he was like, that was so cute. I want to keep that. And I was like, you cannot keep that. That's like record Michael Blue.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So he kept it and.
Speaker 3: People like, oh man, it's yeah.
Speaker 1: I I dude, for sure. How did you even How did you even get started in the pop music world? How does because that's a lane of the business I don't know anything about. Well, so there one TikTok and all this stuff.
Speaker 5: Well, there was my space. There was my friend from high school put Bubbly up. It was a demo and a couple other songs, and he made me a MySpace page and I had no idea what social media was. And over I don't know, it was like around six months or so I have time span that people started following my page and adding, you know, you could add your songs, what was your.
Speaker 3: What was your background? Because you could do a background and you could do a song.
Speaker 5: It was so cool. I mean, it really was like the coolest.
Speaker 1: Mom was cool too.
Speaker 4: I'll start with my mind was a because I was five ten, I was.
Speaker 1: Real good basket the way you were five ten in high school? No, probably I was probably five four. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I can't believe he said the same number right there, because but I had to do that. My dream was to play basketball duke and uh and so I had a duke background, and then I had who's the what's that band that sings?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Me me at the wig? That was my song?
Speaker 1: Was?
Speaker 5: It was a jagged edge song with that background.
Speaker 4: That's with that background I was I was doing my song.
Speaker 1: Was can we forget about things?
Speaker 5: I said, what was your matching background? Did?
Speaker 1: I did mean to call you? That?
Speaker 5: So different to I think it.
Speaker 1: Was like Les Paul's like.
Speaker 3: Jesus, all right, what's yours? What your email?
Speaker 5: I think it was like a flower wallpaper. I mean, we've changed a.
Speaker 3: Lot, but but Bubbly was your song? Well, you could have your.
Speaker 5: Own songs up there. So I had a few of my songs up there, and then that's how people started hearing it, and then I eventually became the number one unsigned artists on MySpace, and then I got offered a record deal.
Speaker 1: I mean, you couldn't have been that old when that was happening.
Speaker 5: I was twenty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you're younger than me, So, I mean I having a Mobs space. It was I don't remember how I remember being young than having a Mons space at least. Yeah, I remember being in college when Facebook and I started popping. Okay, it miss to be studied.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my space was the jam for a second.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for saving for a second. Okay, So it's it's it's Grammy, Uh, Grammy time. The Grammys just happened. There is a Grammy winner in this room, and it's definitely not any of us. Kobe won You want a Grammy with Jason Moraz, I did, yeah over a song that was written via email. Yeah that might be I probably You're probably the only one to win a Grammy over a song that's over email.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That was crazy because I was a fan of his and my first album had just come out and he had the song started and he wanted to have me finished writing it with him and do edit with him. So but we were both on tour and couldn't physically get together, so my guitar player Tim Fagan on the road with me. We kept sending ideas back and forth to him. Yeah, pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Giant song. That was a giant Do you mean when that pop because we recognized pop music is multiplied times ten, what country music is? What? What was? How did that? How did that instant like fame affect you? Because I know you had to have it. The song was too big, not too both of those songs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: I didn't really know how to handle it. I was very introverted and shy and not I had. I had little experience performing. I didn't It was all so new and such a rush whirlwind, Like I was lucky how fast it happened. But you know, doing TV performances and traveling the world and getting all these incredible experiences which I wasn't prepared for. So I had to have like their pissed out on the road and I had just like the worst stage fright, and I had to have media training and a stage coach, like literally talking in my ears while I'm performing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it was. I mean, I can't imagine how overwhelming decade, That's.
Speaker 1: What I was saying.
Speaker 5: Well, with no experience, Like I loved singing, I loved writing, but I didn't really want to be an entertainer. So that was the side that I didn't have any practicing, So I had to learn as I was.
Speaker 3: Literally like, yeah, I mean it was I mean, you crushed it, you did great.
Speaker 5: Well, thanks, but I had to I had to figure it out and learn as I went.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, what was what did you originally want to do when you were a little kid? What were you like, Man, I want to do this is the job I want to do.
Speaker 5: I wanted to be a photographer in Africa. Well, I also wanted to be a singer, so like on your school things, I wanted to be a singer and a photographer.
Speaker 1: That's better. Mind, I want to be a durin source Rex. So what well, that's when I grew up. It was a little bit.
Speaker 3: I want to be a shortstop for the braves. It was a short except that I was just short stop for my little int all out.
Speaker 4: So yeah, but your background in music, your dad was, I mean, your dad's produced some crazy records, especially with.
Speaker 3: Mac and Rumors and Yeah and all those.
Speaker 4: Was that, like, was he supportive of that when you started wanting to write songs and started singing and wanting.
Speaker 3: To chase that career, was he supportive of that or was he like, be careful both?
Speaker 5: They My parents knew how like how obviously like you're getting in this like fast lane and life's gonna get crazy. But they also gave me the tools, put me in vocal lessons and guitar lessons and told me about songwriting and song structure and how I should not only be a singer but a songwriter. So they gave me all the tools, and so I found my manager. It's how I put my band together. It's how like they they helped me so much.
Speaker 3: We'll come back to music later in the show.
Speaker 5: But you're kind of like an outdoor finatic, right, I love doing on outdoor stuff.
Speaker 4: What's what's your If you've got twenty four hours of sunlight that you could like plan a perfect outdoor day? What I thought of that question on the way question what you do from? What would you do from? You know, what was your what would your what would your day be?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 5: Sunshine near the water. I mean, it depends where I'm out here in Nashville. Like in the summer during the pandemic, we were going to we were like kayaking the rivers all the time, and we were I mean Hawaii. We would hike to waterfalls and we'd stand up paddle aboard the river or obviously out in the ocean boating. I love stuff being on the water.
Speaker 3: Sunshine grew up in born in Malibu.
Speaker 5: Just grew up in Malibuy born in Malibu, grew up like just like inland of their southern California and grew up going to Hawaiian my whole life.
Speaker 3: Do you do any surfer?
Speaker 5: No, not really Like in my like older years, my brother in laws like pushed me into some waves and I'll try to stand up, But no, I'm not a surfer.
Speaker 4: We've we've been to Maui. That's where we went on our honeymoon, and that's my favorite place in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 5: Hawaii is this magical? Just it's beautiful, everyone's nice, it smells amazing, the trade winds, it's you haven't been.
Speaker 1: I have not been. What I'm saying, I'm not saying I would. I would love to go. That's a long flight, it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a lot shorter from California. I don't go as often now from here, like thirteen hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the that's the kicker.
Speaker 4: You got to go like fly to l A, spend the night in LA and then fly from California like recent then fly from California.
Speaker 1: And I was on the road all like all year last year, and it's gonna it's tough to get.
Speaker 5: Me out of It's hard once you're Yeah, once you're not on the road traveling for work, you want to just be home. Do you guys vacation do you do?
Speaker 1: We're beachy.
Speaker 5: I mean we'll go to Florida.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we take like a yearly beach trip in the fall. But we're always like, we love the West Many, we love Montana and Wyoming.
Speaker 1: And yeah, we're always going somewhere. I guess some people call it vacation. We just call hunting trips. Yeah, we're currently Okay, I'm kind of going all over the states.
Speaker 4: I will say this, I'm not like a like I'm a small town southern cat, you know, redneck. I don't love southern California. Yeah, that's where Malvy is right, Like, so not was that sure, but we went to northern California last year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're so different.
Speaker 3: That's the closest thing to Mauie I've ever seen, like on a smaller scale.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a little more lush. It's like, you know, obviously it's greener, there's more rain, but yeah, I get it. Like I I I grew up in California. I never thought i'd leave. I'm like a total California girl. And then I came here to Tennessee and I fell in love with it. And now I can't imagine going back, Like I just I love it here so much. I love the people, I love really, I love the like especially. Actually, I feel like Nashville in the summer looks like Hawaii. It is like there's the tropical storms, It's lush and green, there's rivers, there's rain. I don't know. It's really makes me happy.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm surprised, coming from where you come from, that you fell in love with Nashville, because it seems, how do I say, this seems kind of the same to me. It seems like the same thing, just buildings and cities.
Speaker 5: And tra Well, so I grew up outside of LA so we wouldn't really go I wouldn't go to sporting events or concerts. Everything was far drives and traffic, and so we'd go to the beach or we'd hang out in like hometown. But here I go to Pred's games, I go to the soccer games, we go to concerts in Nashville. We are doing stuff all the time, and it's you know, it's a small town. Everyone knows each other, which can be you know, not how it can have its you know, pros and cons. I do love that it feels like everyone's friends, and it.
Speaker 1: Does feel like that, like everybody's routing everybody else.
Speaker 5: I really do think that.
Speaker 3: Is it that way in LA?
Speaker 4: Is it that way in the pop world because we don't I don't know anything about I've never been out there to ride. I don't really have any friends that do that. Is that the same? Because when people think of songwriter communities, I think of Nashville obviously, and I think of you know, maybe New York and l A.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, are there similarities between that and here?
Speaker 5: I mean obviously in like Little Wa. But it's it's just a bigger city. It's a bigger industry, so everything is just more spread out. You're not running into people as much. You're not. It's just a it's a totally different thing than here.
Speaker 1: Is the co writing the same or no?
Speaker 5: There, it's kind of it's whatever, we're here. You guys have your like eleven to three, you know.
Speaker 3: Out the door.
Speaker 1: We should probably explain what what we actually do, so not to you, but to the listeners. So we read and I both have publish it. Are you a publishing deal? Do you do this? Do you do the same thing we do?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have publishing deals. We're staff writers at different companies. So we have someone that kind of sets our schedule for the week. Usually it's an eleven o'clock start, sometimes ten o'clock, and then usually you're somewhere down the line, either with an entire song by three thirty or four or a half song and kind of get out of there because the artist that day has to walk their dog whatever sometimes whatever the kid. Yeah, the dog. Though I'd love to stay and finish this, but gosh, my dog's been inside.
Speaker 4: So I'm an hour and a half late and I got to get out of here a one thirty. Yeah, you're like, cool, bruh, get it.
Speaker 1: But so that's kind of how our day works. And so I've heard that a lot of those LA rights are tracks and people jumping in on them and you never and it could be that's one of there's ten to twelve riders on a lot of those songs, and there's max usually in Nashville's four. You know, have you done much co writing here?
Speaker 5: I've done a lot of co writing here, but you know, or in LA I never did want like those big track rights. It was always more singer songwriting. Obviously, if there was like a track up in the room, there's still max four people. So I was never in those big kind of settings. But yeah, it was really just whatever people worked, like their schedule, so it could be you could write at night, you could write all day long, you could have double sessions. I feel like here people they make time for their home life a little bit more meet.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, definitely. Well, we definitely do because we like our families. Some people are like.
Speaker 5: They were writing Yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: So did you when you wrote those first that first record? Did you write the majority of that record by yourself? So?
Speaker 5: I wrote with my friend Jason Reeves and my producer Michael Blue, So mostly just me and Jason, but Michael co wrote some.
Speaker 1: Of them with us. Was it like wildfire, I'm assuming once that song started popping or people just knocking down the door.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And it was so wild because at that time, I feel like anything I like. I got to tour with John Mayer and Cheryl Crow and seeing at the White House for like two different presidents. I just I got so many different opportunities where I'm like, is this really happening, like just anyone I want to work with or any like.
Speaker 7: It just was.
Speaker 5: It was just so like a natural flow. It was really incredible.
Speaker 1: Now you're on CAUs with us. Geez, sorry, jeez.
Speaker 3: Did you see that? Like did you see that? Did you want to get there? Like, like, did you see that in your future? As like I want to be a pop star?
Speaker 5: No? No, which I think was part of the problem because I didn't have that drive or motivation for a lot of the things.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: Again, it happened for me, and so I got to like I had to roll with it as but I felt like I didn't. I was I was a little lazy and I was a little reclusive, so I didn't. I didn't really want to do so much of the stuff. I didn't really want to be touring I was. I feel like that got in the way of me allowing my career to kind of flourish more.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Really, how how busy were you? I mean, were you just gone for years?
Speaker 5: The first two the first album I was literally gone. I was I was never home. Yeah, I was gone for a couple of years, and we were all over the world and amazing experiences, but it was so many that you don't have time to really process, Like I don't remember a lot.
Speaker 1: Of it was interesting. Yeah, absolutely. We went to Australia. I went to Australia with Luke and people were like, do you see a kangaroo?
Speaker 3: And I was like, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: Downtown cities, the entire flying every day. Yeah, yea, yeah, it was. I mean, and it's not it is not as glamorous as people it.
Speaker 5: Can be, but most of the time, no, you don't have time for it, or you're too tired.
Speaker 1: If you do have the time, That's what I found myself, yeah, being just like man, I just want to watch someone Netflix for a day the hotel yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: But I would try to like sight seeing the cities and go like on walks or jogs and try to go get like coffee or food somewhere and see the.
Speaker 1: City y'all, because y'all get y'all can kind of like get identified out there, like as to where a guitar tech. Nobody knows who I am. So I can go see stuff. I went to see the Eiffel Tower and some other things, you know. But at the same time, I also while I was seeing those things, where like like I would walk to them or exactly. And luckily my wife was like, hey, I want you to get me a postcard and a magnet from everywhere you go. So and I think she was very intelligently putting something for me to do so that I would get out of the damn room, you know what I mean. And it really ended up making me see some things, and I'm very thankful for that. But so I would be going these quests every day to find a magnet and a postcard and dude, there's not postcards anywhere anymore, by the.
Speaker 5: Way, really it is.
Speaker 1: It was a stretch I would I would have to go like miles some days.
Speaker 5: She knew it too, She knew she.
Speaker 4: Didn't just go into a gas station there and there'd be like a spin and I kept you'd have to find Like I mean, I guess postcards are kind of a thing of the past. Nobody's everybody just sending emails and text.
Speaker 1: Because I ended up bringing this giant stack of postcards on She was like oh good, and she just put them in a drawer. You know, it's like you can't put fifty postcards up anywhere. So I think it was a ploy to get me to to move.
Speaker 5: I think that's a good thing. It was good the world.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. My point was I kept going, Wow, the Aiffel Terrer is cool. My wife would love this, you know what I mean. I feel like if you had people around you that you could experience those things.
Speaker 5: With would be more enjoyable. Yeah or or yeah, you could see where you want to go back and visit when you have time.
Speaker 1: I did not want to do you do you want to go back to the places that you toured across the world?
Speaker 5: Like I love Switzerland, so like that's a place where I don't want to go back.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask you, what's your favorite of all the places that you got to tour? What was your favorite spot?
Speaker 5: I loved Australia, I loved Switzerland. Germany was beautiful. I didn't like the food there, but like the fans were amazing. Japan was really amazing. Actually, I get I'm doing c to see next Like yeah, next month, so we get to go to Rotterdam, Berlin, and then London. So I haven't been there, been back for like I don't know, ten years or something, so looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: Have you ever got to take pictures in Africa?
Speaker 5: Like you never been to Africa? I know, I know. It's kind of like we were saying, like when we're off the road, it's like you just want to chill at home and not book any trips. So I find myself not traveling as much as I should.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Plus you lot where you're at now, and.
Speaker 5: I do, I really do. It's hard to leave, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It's it's not hard to live for me to leave. I kind of like at the end of the day, I like getting out of an ashell. Yeah, but we live south, you know, so we can go.
Speaker 5: Out more out the country. Yeah, beautiful.
Speaker 4: So Sister Act, Yeah, that's the when you think of the turning point I guess in your brain for for wanting to become a singer, that's that's the movie you got to.
Speaker 5: Right, absolutely. I mean I think I've always sung since I was a kid. But when I saw Lauren Hill heard her do His Eyes on the Sparrow and Sister Act too, it was just and like we were talking about it earlier and you guys were It's there's just something about how effortless her voice was and how like singing can just feel that good, sound that good. And that's what inspired me.
Speaker 4: I think for most singers if they've seen that movie, that is one of the things like you think about like performances that.
Speaker 3: Blow you away. That is one thousand percent And it's so short.
Speaker 1: It's such a it is short, and I'll sell you that for me with that at what makes Lauren Hill's voice non replicable whatever that word is. It's like, is the like you're talking about the effortlessness, but the control too, Like I mean those notes, she's hitting her just right in the middle of.
Speaker 3: The fat part of the note.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a beautiful thing. And you know who else really loves that? It is our dad, Dude.
Speaker 4: He gets fired up every time I watched that movie with him. And I've seen that movie.
Speaker 3: I've watched it with that read sit down, You've got to see this part.
Speaker 1: I'm like, bro, fifty eight thousand times. Yeah, he loves it, man, he loves he loves the soul of it. There's good soul, great control. Uh Strom. I was trying to work that out.
Speaker 3: I don't know the whole song. I don't know what was it, this thing.
Speaker 7: Being in my life with his words, killing me softly with his song, killing me softly with his soul, kill him my ball life with his words killing me.
Speaker 3: So this is the this part right here with his song.
Speaker 4: Round yeah.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 6: So I heard, and so I came to see him and let s.
Speaker 4: For WHI.
Speaker 3: Thinking it, sir, And there.
Speaker 5: You was this young boy, straight injured two.
Speaker 6: With this thing.
Speaker 5: You're so nice. I want to learn how to play that on the guitar.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that kind of I kind of went somewhere right then.
Speaker 5: Man, that was yeah, fun nice armies guys.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I went.
Speaker 1: I don't want to see I'm happy to listen to that, but I don't want to see it because my face was doing the math to the next corner I was going. I was like glitching out on that guitar. That's different in the way. That's a different style. It's to what we normally do, right. Oh yeah, man, I mean that is so it's hard to sol that on acoustic.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm a melody guy. That's my in listening to your records, Coco and even this new one that you put out last October.
Speaker 3: Look at me, it's cookie. Your melodies on that thing are are crazy, like like like on every song too.
Speaker 4: And I know you you collaborated with Liz Rose and aj Prus and all of that stuff and wrote got to write Brett James and my whole thing that like kind of going through the national thing.
Speaker 3: But you also wrote a lot of that stuff by yourself. What is your what's your process?
Speaker 1: All?
Speaker 5: Like every time it's different, But I think for me, it's mostly a melody. So if I'm playing the guitar or playing the piano, it's usually on guitar, but I'll just be humming something and then like you know, like there's a couple of words that fall out, and sure, sometimes you don't even know what you're gonna write about, or sometimes you have that you're like, I really need to say this right now. So a lot of times it's mostly the melody and then I fill in the lyrics later. Those kind of take me a little bit longer. But writing with Liz and aj for most of this record, I would have this idea, either the idea of what I wanted to say, or part of the chorus or the title whatever, and I would call them and be like, all right, we ought to write, and you know, we'd get together like a day later and we'd write these songs.
Speaker 3: And it was very therapeutics.
Speaker 1: Is You're a good company, right, No, two of them.
Speaker 5: It was just such a great experience.
Speaker 1: I've written with a j I've never I haven't written with Liz yet, but man, she is.
Speaker 5: She gets it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, she's she knows what she's doing. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: I love all those songs are great but old and new. Did you write that by yourself?
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: It kind of feels like a personal It is very personal, very very well written.
Speaker 4: But but yeah, I kind of felt like, in a not a weird way, like I got to know you and your story a little bit more and your story your storytelling. Yeah, well, I mean your storytelling to the whole thing is even on the co Co record, like the Coco record is a it feels very like oxygen off the front. It feels malibuis you know what I'm saying Like it feels so, but at the same time, it still has the elements of a country record because it's it's a lot of storytelling. There's a lot of personal things and that thing too, and and I don't know, It's just I don't really know where I'm going with this.
Speaker 5: Well, I appreciate that. I'm so glad. I'm like that, you know all that, and I yeah, I think that's why I like with this new album along the way being country. I've I feel like my first album has always like it could have been country back then, Like I never really felt like a pop artist because it was always more singer songwriter folk, and so I felt like this was like a natural progression into country and with the steel guitar and the doughbro and all that, I just love it so much.
Speaker 1: What brought you?
Speaker 3: What made you want to do a country record? What made you want to it?
Speaker 7: Was it?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 3: The songwriting, storytelling through all of it. Kind of yeah, the mold here.
Speaker 5: I've been coming to Nashville writing, I've been doing a lot of collaborations with country artists over my career and by being here and like I actually I didn't really grow up listening to country music, so it was newer for me. But I started just falling in love with it the longer I lived here, and then I was like, well, I love the steel guitar, I love the dough bro like can I not put it on my music?
Speaker 1: And absolutely join.
Speaker 5: I started Gone West the country band a few years ago with Yeah with my friends and my fiance at the time, and that was a country album. So it's just been like a long progression I feel like, and it does feel like the right home for my music.
Speaker 3: So you feel at home here, I do.
Speaker 5: I really do.
Speaker 3: Man, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Who were you listened to? Who are some of your country influences?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, well, I'm a huge like Kenny Chesney fan, Morgan Wallin, I love Brooks and Dunn. I mean the list can like literally go on, but I feel like, I don't know. Country music is just like the music's so beautiful and then the lyrics they really really melts your heart, like it's everyone knows the good heartbreak song. You can just relate to it so much.
Speaker 1: Who was it saying that one time? I want to say it was like one of the dudes from Kiss was like, yeah, but you all got the song. They were talking to a national songwriter and he was saying, oh, man, I love what y'all do, and he said, oh, yeah, I what you do. He said. The difference between what we do and what you do is country music has the stories, you know, Like that's the way that I want to you know, like and we're kind of like talking about maybe yeah, an influence or a kid or you know, your son or your dad or you know where the stories. He was like, Man, you guys can tell stories. And I always try to remember that as a writer, Like sometimes we get we catch feelings and want to get caught up in them, but really the majority of listeners just want to hear a really great story.
Speaker 5: Yes, and they always relate to it. And country music there's always that great twist in the lyric that's.
Speaker 1: It's uh sometimes yeah, nobody just wrap my on the left. Yeah, I know you're right that that is a staple of country music.
Speaker 3: So what's next?
Speaker 1: What are you?
Speaker 3: Are you working on another project? You you just just catalog and songs?
Speaker 5: What do you I am working on another project?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm working.
Speaker 3: That's always the manager look at.
Speaker 5: Like you just never know because like.
Speaker 3: You've got any spots open on there that you need an outdoor song?
Speaker 1: Yeah, stories, you know, that's actually the entire reason we're doing this podcast. No days, just get people in here and then get yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the people that listen to it. I don't know that after this we actually the requirement. I don't know if you saw it in the fine print, you have to book a ride with us.
Speaker 1: Organ actually put that in there. She should put that print. Shooting skate, Oh yeah, shooting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: During the pandemic, my friends, they taught me how to shoot, so, like I never I didn't grow up with guns, Like I was actually like fully against guns, and then coming here and just being around everything more and being taught about guns probably everyone having that was like I was like what, Like, I don't know, it's just so it was so different from me. But then I learned, like they taught me all the proper ways to use every different gun, and and then I started shooting ski and I'm really good.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, what's your do you have like a specific shotgun gauge like a twenty eight gauge or no, I don't have a shotgun.
Speaker 5: I have I have a couple of clocks and like a little ruger, but I don't I do. I'm told I need a shotgun, but I haven't purchased a shotgun.
Speaker 1: Yet.
Speaker 5: But when we're shooting SKI, I don't know what I use. That's whatever.
Speaker 3: Shooting with the pistol, don't It don't matter what you use, you're blowing them up.
Speaker 5: I do get a lot of them, and I don't really know how. I'm like, how did I.
Speaker 1: Just do that?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I know every time I feel the same way.
Speaker 1: You should come to the dugline with this, because we could do nothing.
Speaker 3: I just bought all you could. I killed most a few limits.
Speaker 1: Speak for yourself.
Speaker 3: Yes, I just bought a four ten and old four ten for we have a kind of new baby boy. We got a little girl on a baby boy. But I wanted to buy him a gun that you know. I passed down to him and I bought it.
Speaker 4: And my buddy was like, we were down in Misissippi and he was like, hey man, he's like, I'm gonna bring fourten shils, let's shoot THEI SKI.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay.
Speaker 4: So it brought them out and I was like, man, I can't like just start missing every play with this gun. And I did for a while and then I figured out, you know, the bead pattern and all that. But I feel the same way every time I shoot at a ski and I hit it, I'm always like, one, very proud of myself, and two I'm kind of blown away that I hit.
Speaker 5: It because it's you know, it's hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I feel like the more I focus on it, the more I miss. And then when I'm just like yeah, I'm like, wow, how did I do that?
Speaker 1: I don't want to put you on the spot here, but you talked about not growing up around guns and then come in and being educated on it. Yeah, what do you I mean? That's that's foreign for us because we were always around our dad. Yeah hundred and fished and literally from the time we were born, we were running to get doves. And you know, how do you how? Or first off, like who kind of educated you on the handling of guns? And how did you how did you get to a point where you felt comfortable? And let me say this by saying feel comfortable, I don't think anyone should ever feel extremely comfortable. There should always be.
Speaker 3: A place absolutely of reverence.
Speaker 1: And understanding that this is a tool that can be Yeah, it could be deadly, you know.
Speaker 3: But that is interesting because because with you, there was a wall of like firearms, no.
Speaker 5: Absolutely against one hundred percent. I was against them, and I and then coming here and my friends out in Nashland City. We were on their ranch and and they fully it was like a full on lesson, like they had them laid out. They everything was you know, the magazines were out, nothing was loaded. They teach you to check to make sure there's you know, I never have your finger on the trigger. I got all the lessons, and I was like, oh, this is like I really respect this, like I had just I had no understanding of it whatsoever. So of course it was just like fear in my mind, and I thought they were just bad and everyone used that used them like had no idea what they were doing or they totally yeah, yeah, I was uneducated, so they truly like educated me. And then I we would shoot on the ranch and then I would go to the gun range here at the armory and and just understand it more.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. Yeah, that's really, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I could I always sympathize with people that that don't hunt, that don't like guns. There's a lot of riders that that I'll get in the room with and we'll start talking about it, and it genuinely you said it perfectly. It always seems to come down to a lack of education and understanding about what what the point is right of having a gun, or what what you're using it for, or that that it can be. It can be essentially like a hammer and a toolbox, you know, just a tool to accomplish something. Yeah, but handled the wrong way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it can.
Speaker 1: It can. It can be tough. So I think that's interesting that that you once were this and now you're this.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's cool, especially in that round. I mean that's such a you know, controversial thing, you know, across across America.
Speaker 5: It absolutely is. And I think people that like know that I you guns now that are like what who is she? I'm like, well, I'm not like, I'm not like promoting stuff.
Speaker 3: There's a way to handle it. There's a way to enjoy them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly for sure.
Speaker 3: Let's talk. Are you a cold plunger?
Speaker 5: I've done it a few times. I'm not like, it's not okay, it's not like an everyday thing, no, are you guys?
Speaker 4: I've been thinking about cold I want to be I cold plunge in the bathtub, like like especially like through the winter.
Speaker 3: Just do the cold. But yeah, I've I've.
Speaker 5: Seen showers are really good for you too, no doubt.
Speaker 4: I took my first cold shower of the year yesterday. I cut up a bunch of trees and was run a fire all day.
Speaker 3: It was awesome. It's an awesome day. And then jumped in a cold shower.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's it's kind of like the fad, you know right now everybody's taking cold bath, yeah, to overcome something. But yeah, I even asked my dad just I was like, hey man, you got like a trough laying around or anything. He's like, actually, I do what were you cold plunging for? Did you do it for like a was it a charity thing or no?
Speaker 5: We did it. We just we thought it was like I don't know. We did it this summer a few times after workouts, and it just takes a lot, like buying all the ice bags and loading it. Like I'd rather like have the proper tub that's just cold and not have to do all the work. And like I hate when the ice cubes hit you. It's just so but obviously like that's but it's it does feel good, and I know it's there's health benefits, but it's not just I just can't get with it.
Speaker 1: I should. And here's what you just said.
Speaker 3: You were thinking about it, thinking about.
Speaker 1: It because I talked to someone, but you've never done it. It's not I mean I've read got on a close shower kick and he's like, dude, you gotta take cold showers. Okay, man, So like I will take a couple of cold showers, but I keep hearing like, oh, it resets your body to this mudd.
Speaker 4: It'll start they'll start saying that you don't you don't believe in any of this because most some of this is actually like factual what it does for you metabolism wise.
Speaker 1: And all that.
Speaker 5: And also it's mind control. So like you get in and you're just like shaking, and then you realize if you can control yourself and like to make your deep breast and slow yourself.
Speaker 4: Down, that it's overcoming an uncomfortable thing. And that's what a lot of them do it for, is is they do it to do something uncomfortable every day.
Speaker 5: Yes, Okay, here guys like we have gray beanies and we're in like I'm like, I don't know, it's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Maybe you should just sprout with us all the time. You know. The reason I'm saying cold is because I talked to someone and I said, man, you know, and they said they gave me the argument of doing something uncomfortable. I'm like, well, why don't you just slam your head into the wall. What do you mean you well, that's uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: You're not understanding it. It's It's imagine if you fell in a frozen lake and you freak out, you would hopefully be able to try to like control your mind to be like, Okay, I've got this, I've done this before. Calm down. If you're so.
Speaker 1: The entire thing is just in case.
Speaker 5: It maybe.
Speaker 3: You didn't around cold lakes all the time.
Speaker 1: It was a perventage of you need to be prepared. I was in a cold week or a cold lake last week.
Speaker 3: I know what to do.
Speaker 5: Whatever I get it for the it will work if I actually do fall.
Speaker 8: In this conversation, you're living, Tim gray Bean is living, and damn, I'm not so sure we got it.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just I'm with you on it seems like a lot of work.
Speaker 5: And yeah, and then the tubs are really expensively.
Speaker 4: You know what I've seen I've seen people take like casket freezers, like like coffing style freezers, and they JB well, the bottles of no leaking gets out and they pour water and and and and regulate it to a temperature that it freezes.
Speaker 1: But just the top with the freezer with the freezer.
Speaker 3: So you just close the lid and the top freezes.
Speaker 1: And that seems rednecking off that I.
Speaker 3: Can do handle it, though, damn would get in he like put a foot in the ok.
Speaker 5: Getting in is the hard part.
Speaker 1: Do y'all walk around and snow without shoes on? No, well, there's probably some health benefits if you ever get caught out there, you'll be like, I'm prepared for this. Uh, got my guy over there.
Speaker 3: What's uh? What's your what's your favorite country song of old time?
Speaker 1: Wait? No, we made a word for it, gravorite gravorite, so it's greatest favorite greatest slash.
Speaker 5: Favorite Anyway, people probably said this one, but honestly, Neon Moon, I think it.
Speaker 7: Is what.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: Every line is so accurate like it is, so.
Speaker 3: I want to hear you sing again.
Speaker 5: I've been singing it uh on tour lately.
Speaker 3: Pull the microphone down, Mike, Mike, Mike, Yeah, back this one.
Speaker 1: You are terrible at this job, dude? Is it? Is it too low?
Speaker 5: When that's very high? Still high?
Speaker 6: But some of these down there.
Speaker 1: When the when the snows down on.
Speaker 5: My side, still got that lonesome feeling comes to my door in the whole.
Speaker 3: Well, this would be really love love turns.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know what. I think we just do it in the standard keep what it's.
Speaker 6: A run down bar across the railroad trips.
Speaker 1: Got a table for.
Speaker 3: Way back where I sit alone.
Speaker 1: And think losing you.
Speaker 3: So you're still so good there.
Speaker 5: I spent most.
Speaker 6: Every night beating the line of.
Speaker 3: A Neon one course, oh you you, And.
Speaker 6: There's always roomy full alone.
Speaker 5: To watch your booking dreams dancing out of the beans of Neon.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I gotta enjoyed. I kind of enjoyed hearing anything of that notes for sure is a good one man.
Speaker 1: So that's a good one.
Speaker 3: Any really, any bricks are done? Yeah, it is killing and.
Speaker 5: One of which one of them are with that by themselves?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 5: Was it.
Speaker 1: Kicks?
Speaker 3: I don't know who done.
Speaker 5: I think it's anyways. I think just so, I'm like, that's you wrote that.
Speaker 3: That's really rone. That is legendary.
Speaker 1: If we should all do.
Speaker 8: If you.
Speaker 1: Pretty good, only pretty good, there's always around here for only.
Speaker 3: Right up your rocking James dancing and out of the beast. What are you doing there?
Speaker 5: The Indian beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good. You're pretty good, Ronnie.
Speaker 3: Thanks person there.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Thanks man, And.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there was important that thing you had, so.
Speaker 4: You were talking during that though, keep going, but it's the time. She just interrupted himself that God, sorry, everything's in g today.
Speaker 3: We need a capo, saying, work on that cap next time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 1: I need uh.
Speaker 5: I have like change my guitar like the Threts. I have Martin's, but I like I I have sob bubbly. I wrote it in open D tuning, so I always have to have like that guitar and then that it's on like KPO seven. But like my guitar players, they can just play it however, but I need I need capos everywhere.
Speaker 1: I good enough to transpose in our heads.
Speaker 3: Although I just.
Speaker 1: Did he did you actually did? Do?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Kobe?
Speaker 3: We do this thing called the one that Got Away. It's a little segment where we.
Speaker 4: Usually I told you earlier, we usually it's like a deer story or a fish story or a guy you know have boyfriend girlfriend song, you know, something like that. Is there anything that comes to mind when we say Kobe.
Speaker 1: Could also be as simple as like a hamburger, a hamburger. Maybe the restaurant you should have tried didn't try it got away from me.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a terrible uh for me.
Speaker 1: There's a restaurant I should have tried and I didn't try it when I was in Paris.
Speaker 5: So that's I mean, okay, we're going down that. Like I got a I got a gift certificate to uh, like a twenty thousand dollars gift certificate to a hotel called the Almond Hotel, and I never was able to use it, and I think it has expired now I know.
Speaker 1: The time it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at tell me they got you like a month there, it probably got you.
Speaker 5: It's like I think it's like probably three nights. But yeah, so it was like I never used it with me.
Speaker 3: Where was that?
Speaker 5: They have them all over the world. But yeah, so it's a really really nice I can't say, yeah, that's a good one. Yeah. I sang at a friend's wedding and it was like a a gift.
Speaker 1: But it got away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a giant gift card.
Speaker 5: If I calling, can.
Speaker 4: I we can maybe with somebody from the AM and listens to this thing, and we can. That's what we did with the one that got away. We try to try to justify, like please please, even though it's a thousand dollars, I'm not saying that's.
Speaker 5: What am an like, I'm on, I think that's what that is.
Speaker 1: Amen, let's say Amen.
Speaker 3: Kobe, that was so much fun.
Speaker 5: You guys are great, great, thanks for hanging out.
Speaker 1: Was We're really talented. We appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a really cool When they when they told us that you were that, they were like, hey, what about coolbe Kala. We were both like, that's that's interesting because it's it's a hunting punch of music things.
Speaker 3: But then when they.
Speaker 4: Started sending us over what you were into and what you did and then obviously there's you know, we know your music and all that, we were really excited and damn was super nervous, like you see.
Speaker 3: Okay, but no, you're you're freaking.
Speaker 5: Thanks for coming hanging out Nashville friends.
Speaker 1: Hey, please let us write your record.
Speaker 5: You want to write the record, Yes, the whole thing or selfish.
Speaker 3: I'm selfish.
Speaker 1: I want them all.
Speaker 4: No, you're great, Thanks for coming hanging out with us, Thanks for hanging out God's Country.
Speaker 3: Cob, everybody, We'll see honest with us wherever we're looking.
Speaker 1: Stick with us, yeah, man,