Speaker 1: Cut over that DJ more ensode touchdown touchdown pairs. I am Jeff, Joniya Litz is not Donnie got what was like playing for Coachy dig I don't want to answer any questions like that pressure coming is a big trouble. Donnie Goes Montes sweat Now. Bears et Cetera brought to you by Geico with the voices of the Bears, Jeff Joniac and Tom Thayer. A six straight loss stings a Bears team that had enough resolve and competitive spirit to rally on the road from sixteen down on Thanksgiving in Detroit to put in Musician a chance to at least tie the game and optimistically in a position to win the game, but it didn't turn out that way, and the Bears fall for the six consecutive time. This is episode sixteen of the Bears et Cetera podcast with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom There. I'm Jeff Joniyak, and we're brought to you by Geico.
Speaker 2: We're going to recap the game.
Speaker 1: But also look forward to the future with the inclusion now of Thomas Brown as the interim head coach and the dismissal of Matt Eberflus we heard from a couple of people today at Havis Hall. First and foremost President and CEO Kevin Warren and then Bears General manager Ryan Poles will hear from them, and also a one on one interview with Thomas Brown. Tom overall thoughts on what you heard today.
Speaker 3: I'm super encouraged by what I've heard by Thomas Brown. First of all, let me start there, because everything he said since the day he was introduced to us at the podium a couple of weeks ago, he he is followed through by what he said his plan of attack was for the game field and Caleb in the entire offense has fought hard till the end. They put up some big numbers and I expect and hope they continue to do so. When I think about Ryan Poles and Kevin Warre, and there's two guys that take some of the responsibility for what the Bears are going through right now, but their intentions to get this thing corrected turned around and off of the Bears fans exactly what they deserve. And Kevin Warren has got a rolodex of the experience in college football and pro football experiences that he can make the right decisions and learn from. And Ryan Poles has been around the game for a lifetime and probably has his sights set. I'm not putting thoughts into him, but it has a site set on how to correct this thing and get it turned around. So I don't think anybody is pulling in different directions. I think everybody is pulling in the right direction, in the same direction to get this corrected.
Speaker 1: And that includes the players here because obviously there's a lot of frustration. Some of it has been aired. It started, you know, back in September, frankly, but it really started to bubble up. And I think with this change, do you hope and see that everybody will be pulling on the same room.
Speaker 3: You know, Listen, man, the players have been answered, and the way the players have been answered, if there was frustration in the locker room that's been reported in postgame, then the quickest solution for the players is to make a change at the top. And that's what the Bears went and did. And so now it's up to the players to go out and play a brand of football that this coaching staff, this organization and the fans can be proud of. And so they and you know, in some respect the players have. They have fought to the end, and they have brought these games down to last possession, last play, last second. So now, with the influences of Thomas Brown and his staff, Eric Washington and his staff, Coach Tower, Coach High Tower, and the special teams, I expect a really exciting brand of football to wind this season up.
Speaker 1: We're brought to you by Blue Crossing Blue Shield of Illinois right here at home, driving access toward healthier communities through it all, and we will listen in now to a couple of excerpts from that news conference on Monday at HALISAU President and CEO Kevin Warren and general manager Ryan Balls back to back here.
Speaker 4: And people will ask, what are we looking for in a head coach. We need an individual who has extremely high standards, who is tough, who is demanding, who's bright, who has attention to detail, who seeks and will win championships, who creates an environment of accountability, who's creative, who's intelligent, who's a decisive decision maker, and who will represent the city of Chicago, all of our fans this franchise in a manner that is well deserved. The other thing is that I found in my years in the National Football League that good players want to become great and great players want to become legendary. And the only way you make a good player great or a great player legendary is to create that environment of accountability and set standards that are extreme and demanding. And we will find that person to be able to lead our franchise. But we have to keep in mind that we have five regular season games left to play, one this weekend at San Francisco. We're going to do everything we possibly can, from ownership to Ryan myself, to the coaches, to staff, to our players, to coach Thomas Brown, that we support each other, we support our players, we could support all of our coaches George Brown to allow us to perform at the highest level. I am confident, I'm energized, I'm excited about this unique opportunity. We will get this right, and we'll be sitting up here in the future at some point in time and we'll look back onto this day and say, this was the day that really that we start pointing in the right direction to build the franchise that all of us know that we want to bill.
Speaker 5: But I want to thank coach e Buflus for his efforts in his dedication while he was here, But at the end of the day, we just came up short too many times.
Speaker 2: We had to make a change.
Speaker 5: As I reflect back two years ago, I was proud of the progress that we made from year one to year two, but disappointed we weren't being able to stay on that track in year three. In terms of Thomas Brown, I'm excited for him. We love his direct leadership, his command, and his confidence. I believe he has the traits to leave not only our team, but as well as our offense. I think the key thing to remember is it's not just him on the offensive side of the ball. There's some guys like Chris Beatty who have been very impactful over the last few weeks as we've seen our offense, especially our past game, continue to grow. So he'll lean on the people around him to continue to let our offense elevate and Thomas can continue to leave our football team as a head coach. I'm really excited about these next five weeks and the opportunity that we have, but I do think it's critical that we focus on San Francisco for the remainder of this week as we get prepared and get our football team prepared. I look forward to circling back in the near future to talk about the search as we put those plans together.
Speaker 1: The man might be in the building, Thomas Brown getting the opportunity for right now to be the interim head coach for the final five games of the season. Anything about Kevin and Ryan's comments there about what they're looking for and the type of person they're looking for.
Speaker 3: You know, first of all, they understand this is not the perfect case scenario for any professional football team. They have to do this with five games remaining. But I think when you have five games remaining, it's a nice time to evaluate what you have in the building. Is Thomas Brown possibly the right man for the job or do they have to go and investigate the other guys that they know in and around the league. I think it's a difficult question to answer as we sit here on Monday going into the San Francisco week, But I think they understand what the job ahead of them is all about and how it's how to make this organization the best organization it can possibly be.
Speaker 1: Have a new or gently used coat laying around, head to your local jewel asco until February tenth, and donate one of your new or gently used coach to the thirty sixth annual Chicago Bears Coat Drive help keep Chicagoans warm this winter. All right, the check in a status at hallis or one on one interview with interim head coach Thomas Brown. All Right, welcome first of all, And you know I say congratulations even though you know it's it's not the time for congratulations necessarily.
Speaker 2: Right, No, No, Yeah, it's hard. It's hard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, appreciate the opportunity for sure, except to get a responsibility that comes with this role and it challenge a hit. But as you mentioned before, the difficulty of it affecting people's lives. I mentioned before with a podium a minute ago, just how much I appreciate medievil Flus for give me an opportunity to be on their staff and then elevating me to the OC position. So I think it's tough anytime these situations come up. But got an opportunity, excited about the opportunity, and we'll go go go into attack more.
Speaker 1: Today I started out in my notes, something kept just coming into my head. Remember the Ferris Buehler day off movie, right, like life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while.
Speaker 2: You could miss it. There's no question to you.
Speaker 1: I mean, in the last how many weeks, this is exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: Is that? Is that a relevant quote?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean it's been a ton of chat.
Speaker 6: I don't think anybody could have predicted this on their Bengo card at all. I definitely didn't even think about it. You know, from first, you know, having a chance to take over as the OC and having three games of call it and right after that, are you an opportunity to become the interim head coach? But what I've learned is God's plans always better than my plans, and so I just do the best job I can and whatever role I'm giving and maximize the opportunity for everybody that's around me.
Speaker 1: And I went back into an article just to few years back with the rams you never set out on a course to become an OC or head coach. He just wanted to get into this, I'm assuming to see if you even liked it, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean to me, it was about having an opportunity. When Sean called me a few years ago about having a chance to come in and be the running backs coach. It was about owning that role, coming in and killing that interview to make his to make myself undeniable for that role.
Speaker 3: When I get that role, I want to be the.
Speaker 6: Best in the world at that position. So I just grind out my butt off every single day to put myself on a good spot. That had an opportunity the second year to be a promoted to assistant head coach by Shaw, which I was out of the blue, didn't even think about it, and so hearing some of the dialogue about what he thought about me with other guys who'd been in my role before thought about my future started to kind of open my brain a little bit more as far as possibilities. But it's always about the current work, work, the current job, and obviously applying myself to the best I can to my current role.
Speaker 1: What's it saying about you though, that other individuals that you respect see so much in.
Speaker 2: You that they are affording you these opportunities.
Speaker 3: That means a lot.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think being able to have an opportunity to be with some of the best in the game and learn from them has helped shape my career for sure, but also my overall goal is to create a pathway to light for those that are around me, to see opportunities and pursue them, know that it's possible, but also to be at my best for everybody around me every day.
Speaker 1: Thomas, In all my time almost thirty years with the organization, I've always felt okay, like the ultimate goal and maybe just it's the meathead fan in me, but it should reflect the city you play in personality of the team, which you've emphasized, the violent nature, the physical You know, you close your eyes and you think of the buckets era and the monsters in the midway. Do you envision that same thing the football thing that's not just defense, the attitude.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've always had issues being on the office side of all my entire life out it's always viewed that offenses passed have been defensive physical. I don't understand that thought process at all because I fell in love with the game because of the vialid nature. I remember my mother, who was awesome, uh you know, wanted to keep away from football. My dad was kind of indifferent about it, and she let me start playing when I was eight years old. It's like a normal kid at eight years old. I walk out there the first day of PATS. My paths are too big, my helmets on sideways that are, you know, too big of a mouthpiece, and that we're doing the drill is probably illegal now, but bull and the ring it is.
Speaker 2: My first drill, no question.
Speaker 6: I got the I got the mess knocked out at me, and she starts gonna quit and I got up grinted ear to ear like, Okay, I see this is about and so I fell in love with the physical nature of it. I think about obviously being able to uh and endure the punishment, but it's also about dissing it out. So to me, it's kind of a non negostable. When it comes to how you play the football game, it's all three phases. Offense, defensive, special teams. This is a violent game and so legal leave right, not illegally, but legally. We got to execute that the right way down and down out.
Speaker 2: So how will that look on Sundays?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean hopefully it is started from day one. As far as being detailing our operation, it's how we break the huddle. It's about being disciplined with our snap counts on both sides of the ball and being able to be an attack of mentality. So I think it starts up front on both sides of lone of scrimmage, throw one hands at the point of contact on offense, defeating blocks up front on defense. Then also when it comes to our permanent blocking, our receivers being involved in legal violun blocks everyone tackles on our defense, so populations of the football, and also when it comes to our return units and our kicking units. So on a kicking game, it's about being able to have an attack of mentality right ball disruption and go attack of the ball carrier. When it comes to return units, it's about being able to create lanes for returners.
Speaker 1: So with this position right now, I've always said the last thing a head coach who's never been a head coach, last thing they do is they don't coach like there's so many things. So you're in any unique spot because you're also offensive coordinator and things have been going so well with you and Caleb, how do you make sure that you're still coaching yet you're also the head coach right now?
Speaker 6: I think you organize the right way. I think you also collaborate with the entire staff. Right, everyone is here for a reason. They're experts at their particular roles. It's about being able to be a manager, not a micro manager. So I'm not going to try to go micro manage Eric Washington defense, and I'm gonna go try to micro manage HT and special teams. I trusto's got to do their jobs, and so we'll communicate being the same page. As far as the plan of attack for the week, I'm gonna go coach ball. You know what I've been hard to do.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about Caleb because I've been looking at some of this stuff.
Speaker 2: Fourth quarter is the money time. Oh, this is it?
Speaker 1: Like this is how quarterbacks are valued.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they got to they gotta do stuff well the but fourth quarter. So you're probably not aware of this.
Speaker 1: Maybe you are, but right now he's third in the NFL and fourth quarter passing yards. Okay, he's tight for second in touchdowns. This is the entirety of season. So I think what's happening here is significant not only for himself but for the football team. For others on the team. Hey we got a guy now, oh yeah, he can take us down the field. He's going to put us in a position to win a football game. And it's happened five different times already this season. It hasn't ultimately happened in terms of wins and losses, But do you see this as significant development the fourth quarters?
Speaker 3: No question.
Speaker 6: I think again, that's why he was drafted because he has a tremitiscibility. From a talent standpoint, he is super competitive and resilient. And I said this last week, and I actually stand by this. As good as he's played, he had to even scratch his surface with how good he can be. I believe that with every fiber of my being. I think being able to understand how to operate more effectively and more efficiently at times, but also we missed on some opportunities. We can do a better job of putting in better scenarios as a coaching staff standpoint, but it's every day that mentality of trying to figure out how to pursue excellence. I talked to him and everybody else about not being perfect, because perfection sounds great, unachievable on his earth. And so I can pick at every single play and say, what you didn't do perfectly, but you can be excellent always. So the goal for him and everybody else is to be excellent at what you do on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: Well, you were in the booth right next to me actually at Ford Field.
Speaker 2: I was told that his.
Speaker 1: Demeanor as he came out on the field of the second half was completely dialed in. Wanted to win that football game so bad, and the play showed it. I don't know if you heard that or if you saw that for your own eyes in the locker room. What's that also say about what's going on with this young man right now? Because you never know what you're gonna expect as a rookie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it sell me.
Speaker 6: He doesn't flinch. He's a resilient player. And so I think we dug ourselves in a hole. Then I executed all in the first half. I think four three and outs, kept shoot ourselves in the foot when it comes to some penalties, and to put ourselves behind.
Speaker 2: The eight bow.
Speaker 6: But in that locker room, nobody flinched, nobody had their head down. We came in poised about with a plan of attack for the second half, how to make some adjustments that were solo adjustments, and it became un in the second half with.
Speaker 1: The work so great opportunity as well here now for Eric Washington to call plays. Did she uh think about the game like you do in terms of what you've learned about Eric.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my think as far as h you know, he's his own person, which is very important. I think as far as his approach and leadership traits, those guys respond.
Speaker 3: Well to him.
Speaker 6: I've had a chance, obviously to watch him all year in the media room, and he gets in front of the group, he has a captivating demeanor. Those guys are forced to kind of be engaged and respond to yeah, no quick, yes, that's the purpose of leadership, so to be able to I think about being engaging, not entertaining. My job was that didn't entertain you at all, But to be engaging and get you to understand what we're saying, how we're saying it so we can go execute the right way. And also it's you know, sometimes comes off as being motivating. My overall goal is like to motivate you though, to inspire you to be the best you can be. You know, motivation comes and goes at where is off at times, But I want to be long lasting when it comes to what we say being intentional, but also most importantly about the action because talk is cheap. Everybody has a mouth and they use it at times, but it's about the action we apply every single day.
Speaker 1: You've also given a great opportunity here for Chris Beatty. I'm really impressed with his also communication skills and demeanor. What can you tell us about what this means to him and how he looks.
Speaker 2: At this situation.
Speaker 3: So it's an awesome opportunity for him, you know.
Speaker 6: So I had a chance to work with Chris Beatty back in twenty fourteen. So I was hired to be the runner bass coach at University of Wisconsin. He was a receivers coach and so having a chance to be around him at a relatively young coach age I was.
Speaker 3: That was my third job in coaching.
Speaker 6: I was at Tennessee, Chattanooga, first at Marshall, then Wisconsin, and so to have a send to be around him, observe how it runs, his meeting room, his approach to the game, the mental capacity he had as far as how to communicate in game adjustments was one of the best I've been around, and even as far as when it comes to clock management and how to manage games. Because he was a former high school head coach, and one thing he said to me a long time ago is that like it doesn't matter for his high school, cause the NFL the clock of the clock, and so his understanding and expertise in the air is gonna be big for me moving forward. So excited for the opportunity for excited to provide it for and ready to keep walking together.
Speaker 1: All right, our final minute, we always do a little sneak peak forty nine ers. We know so much about the forty nine ers. Oh yeah from that tree. Obviously, not sure what their injury situation is, but just first and foremost what you're walking into because it's a team fighting for their playoff life as well, and a physical team with a lot of weapons on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean hostile environment. Their fan base does a great job of showing up and being allowed to obviously witness that for three years being in LA. They kind of built this roster with a lot of depth to be able to withstand injuries and also have a next man up type mentality. And all these guys are drafted the same way, with the same kind of build, same mode and kind of being attacking. So we have to be ready and prepare for the opportunity to meet that challenge to be effective and be resilient with it. They also do have great playmakers on both sides of the ball, right, So being able to understand how to form a plan of attack to be able to throw these guys off and also for us on offense is about how do we for the sea of doubt in the mind of Fraiir Warner because he is one of the best in the game, because a great job of communicating, getting guys lined up, diagnosed in play. So try to dangle some cares in front of his odds to see if you'll go bite. But these guys are really tough, so excited about the opportunity to challenge and our guys be ready.
Speaker 1: Well, good luck with the week. Thank he's going to be fun. Appreciation again, Thanks.
Speaker 2: For your time. Thank you Tom.
Speaker 1: What I love about hearing Emmy he doesn't mince words. He's very direct. You get a feel for what he wants. He's not going to be. That's not a flexibility like this is what I'm gonna want. This is how it's going to be.
Speaker 2: You're in, You're in. If you're not you're not, like I think it's that straightforward.
Speaker 3: Do you agree? One hundred percent? And he's proven himself since the very first time he's ever been to the podium as the new offensive coordinator, because he had some strong words about how he's going to get this thing turned around and the improvement he expects on every one of these guys as highly paid professional athletes. And I think he's proven that to everybody. He knows what he's saying from the headset to the field to the quarterback. Now he's going to be on the field talking to the quarterback. So Thomas Brown, I'm super encouraged by what he's been able to do in the short amount of time. And there's no biggest bigger asset for the Chicago Bears than Caleb Williams. And you have to make sure that you keep him on the same work ethic work ethic expectations from now until the end of the season.
Speaker 1: I also, I know you there's a quote that you like from from Thomas today, and you know these are these are words that only an NFL former NFL player can appreciate, right, Like you know exactly where you're going here.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm here to and I'm not here to entertain, I'm here to engage. And I love that. I absolutely love that, because you know, you're not looking for a coach to sit up there and tell jokes or do magic tricks. Wednesday morning at the team meeting, You're up there to listen to the head coach tell you what the plan of attack is for that day and then what it's going to be like Thursday, Friday, Saturday leading up to the game. But I'm only interested to hear what he has to stay in front of the entire team Wednesday morning because you think, in that moment in the history of his process of getting ready to be a coach, the first time he's going to address a professional football team as the head coach, and now you have to have those words that resonate in the minds of the defenders as well as you have been able to get into the mind of the offensive players.
Speaker 1: Tastes like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly, Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ninety six cavalies and three point two carbs per twelve ounces. I just I love the fact that, as Jaw has said, he wants a very violent, physical football team in all three phases, Tommy gotta have.
Speaker 3: It's that's football, you know. And again that's why you get paid a handsome salary when you choose the professional football for a living, because it is about the physical nature of the game, and I'm encouraged that Thomas Brown brings that up regularly.
Speaker 1: All Right, let's talk Caleb Williams and the impact Thomas has had on him. He's really shined in the fourth quarter near missus several obviously, but spreading the ball around. Target totals are going way up for DJ Moore and Keenan Allen. Keenan Allen now DJ each with five touchdown passes co Comet being used. They're still running the ball. So there's a lot of things we like about what's going on here, But in terms of being clutch and playing that fourth quarter role, the numbers for Caleb are really high. Mentioned him in the interview with Thomas Brown. You have a different twist on it, though, and I think it's it's the right twist.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, listen, I'm super encouraged by what Caleb Williams has been able to do during the portions of the most difficult part of a football game. And those closing moments and how he not only protects the football, but he gets profit out of every one of his throws. But if Caleb can do that in the first if Caleb in the entire Chicago Bears team can do that in the first and second quarter and put up those types of numbers, you're really going to increase the advantage of the attack of your defense because now you compliment that good fourth quarter play by good quality point scoring first and second play. Now, all of a sudden, you've got pass rushers, you have guys that have the ability to attack the line of scrimmage. You have a chance to be a more aggressive defense when you have guys like Kyler Gordon or Kevin Byard or all the other guys that can blitz from diff different levels. So let's have that fourth quarter continue, but let's have some of that happen in the first and second quarter, and you're going to see a much more aggressive team.
Speaker 1: Are you impressed by the two hundred and thirty two straight passers without an interception for a rookie quarterback.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just incredible because he knows what he's seeing and he's putting the ball on the right spot for the receivers that he's throwing to. You just think of the one to Keenan Allen where he scrabbled outside the pocket, knew exactly where the line of scrimmage was, was able to deliver a pass low and outside where only the receiver could touch it. So it's those types of accuracies according to where the defensive backs are. It's the accuracies when he knows what the coverage is and he has to fit it into a tight window, making sure that everybody is equally involved. When you talk about Keenan and dj in Rome and Cole and anybody else who can touch the football. So I mean he's maturing right in front of our right in front of our eyes.
Speaker 1: Good new Chicago United Airlines getting brand new planes with all the bells and whistles like Bluetooth connectivity screens at every seat in room for everyone's rollerbag. United proud to fly the Chicago Bears and you too. Let's talk defense in Eric Washington. What's his twist on what they've done so far this year? Which includes a lot of interesting statistics. Obviously, the red zone takeaways tied for first in the league with five. That Tyreek Stevens and head on the ball, and Jamier Gibbs was masterful.
Speaker 2: That was another one.
Speaker 1: The Bears are a plus ten turnover ratio, number three in the NFL. They're tied for six then takeaways with nineteen and over the last two weeks, Tom the Bears number one third down defensively twenty two conversions over the.
Speaker 2: Past few weeks.
Speaker 1: I don't have the exact range, but I know it's two or three, but these are all significant.
Speaker 3: Listen, Eric Washington has a lot of respect in that locker room, whether you're talking to offense, defense or special team. Eric Washington has a ton of respect from every guy that's on that defense, and I think he has a great understanding of what this defense is able to accomplish. You see the results. As you said in the ren Zone. One of the stigious defenses in the league. And that's why Caleb has been able to be great in the fourth quarter because the defense has kept the opponent out of the offense. But now here's Eric. He's going to address the defense on Wednesday morning. As the defensive coordinator. He's going to be calling all the plays from the first quarter to the fourth quarter. He understands what his commitment, obligations, and opportunity is. And listen, We've watched Eric grow up in the NFL from a young assistant coach to now a defensive coordinator, and everything he's been able to accomplish has earned and I think that he has the respect of all the guys.
Speaker 1: Time now with the guy go brings you more football stat of the day. One other Caleb note against the division so five touchdowns, no picks, his quarterback rating above ninety five against the Packers, Vikings and Detroit. That's also very encouraging because those defenses are good.
Speaker 3: That's going to say. You know, these defenses in the NFC Central, they got to they have a lot NSC North, they have a lot of reputation of being good, solid defenses, you know. And what he's been able to do, either in the hot, most hostile environment that he's played in this year in Detroit or get against one of the most aggressive defensive coordinators in Minnesota, Caleb has done an unbelievable job and he's had this team in a position to win the games at the end of each one of them. And that's why I'm still so excited to see what this final five games brings for him Bears fans.
Speaker 1: Steinhoffels is a probud partner of the Chicago Bears. This Bear season, the Steinhoffls is partnering with Special Spaces Illinois to create dream bedrooms for children battling cancer. For every false start caused by the Bears defense during a home game, Steinhoffles will donate one thousand dollars to Special Spaces Illinois shop in store and online at Steinhoffels dot com. I mentioned false starts by the opposition. That's one thing that Thomas did discuss. You know, the pre snap Yeah, post snap penalties, got to clean them up.
Speaker 3: Focus. It's better concentration and practice, getting to play into the huddle a little bit quicker, in making sure that Caleb has the time to say all the terminology he needs to say in the allotted amount of time. That when the offensive line turns and runs towards the line of scrimmage, that information is solidified in their head. They know what the snap count is and then they got to become the most explosive team they can possibly be. But those details he talked about, it's part of the weekly preparation and just something that has to filter to the game.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk to forty nine ers Tom a little sneak peek ahead of the Levin Stadium in Santa Clara. They are a good football team, they're just not winning their games at the moment. So they're struggling in a very competitive NFC West right now. But a massive injury so can't go through them all. Don't even know who's going to be available, but two of their biggest names may not be, and that being Nick Bosa on the defensive side of the ball and Christian McCaffrey on the offensesive side of the ball. I'm not sure where Trent Williams is either on the offensive line, but plenty to worry about. But what is your take on this forty nine er bunch right now?
Speaker 3: You have to if you're on offense, defense, or special teams, you just have to be concerned about how they line up and what your assignment is. You can't really worry about who's there and who's not there. When this stadium opened up, the Bears went there unexpectedly and won the game because that was a big accomplishment. So that's what the Bears have to do, is just know you're a system, You're a system of checks and balances, know your assignments, do the little things that Thomas Brown talked about making sure you know this snap count. Forget the pre snap penalties and post snap penalties. And if you play a super clean brand of football from start to finish, you'll walk out of that stadium Sunday night to get on the plane as a winner.
Speaker 1: George Kitto easily without Christian McCaffrey, easily their best weapon.
Speaker 3: George Kittle their best weapon.
Speaker 2: Don't you agree? You are? You? Are you taking this?
Speaker 3: I think when you feed a young, hungry running back like Mason, and if McCaffrey's not there, I worry about guys like that too, because they're trying to work their way up the ladder to earn that opportunity to be considered a mainstay in the backfield. The Mason's done a nice job when his number is called. But yes, Kittle is a weapon because he's instrumental in the blocking on that offensive line, especially in the exterior of that offense where they have a tendency to run a lot. George Kittle is a really good tight end wide receiver combination. He can line up a little bit of everywhere he runs really good routes and has really good hands. So yeah, George Kittle, he's one of the best tight ends in the NFL. And uh, well, we'll see you know how the Bears take care of them come Sunday night.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up on our Thursday podcast, episode one seventeen, we will get into the forty nine ers a little deeper and hopefully get some insight from one of our good friends out there in San Francisco. I'm gonna say yet, not guaranteed yet, but hopefully we'll be recommiserating with one of our good buddies, Tommy.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know, it's fun to talk football, you know about you know, two competitive teams that are about to play, you know, not asking for any secrets, just talking about where each team is at this point.
Speaker 1: We're brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears. All right, lastly, I'm glad it's a road game too. I feel there's a little.
Speaker 2: Bonding going on.
Speaker 1: Got to get get reacquainted with some new voices and go out there, hang out together for a night and go go take care of business.
Speaker 3: I just wish it was a shorter flight.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's not about us It's about the game.
Speaker 3: I know, you know. Like I said, daytime temperature sixty four degrees for a high, so it's probably gonna be about fifty five and a kickoff natural grass. These guys are going to be.
Speaker 1: Flying around special thanks to Bear's interim head coach Thomas Brown for his debut role in Our Bears, Etc.
Speaker 2: Podcast. For Tom, theare I'm Jeff Jonahan. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Everybody, please subscribe now the Bears Official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Bear Down, Everybody,