Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. I'm that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for dake Edo State. Is that woo woom? And Dan and Tye.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Celebrabo Boys and Girls. My name is ty Hildebrand. I am joined as always by my good friend and colleague and co host of many years and tonight with me in spirit. His name is Dan Rubinstein, and apparently he went to Mexico City. I do not believe he took his USB microphone with him. If he did, he didn't tell me, which means that he will not be part of the podcast this evening, at least not for the next couple of minutes or so. Hopefully we can team back up next week because it's National Signing Day and we got to talk about that and Brent Musberger retired and maybe getting into sports handicapping, and Tommy Slash Tom rees is returning to Notre Dame, which means that Reesus is returning to Earth in twenty seventeen. Lord knows, We've got a lot to discuss. In a week or so. We are staring down the barrel of a loaded show. Don't forget we will be posting once a week all throughout the off season. If you're just tuning in, you can subscribe to all our shows at iTunes dot com slash Solid Verbal. As for tonight, we're going to play back an interview we did with Adam Amin from ESPN. He was down in Tampa for the National Championship, so we invited him to stop by the booth, you know, do something normal like commentate a game of Techmo super Bowl with us that we could post a Facebook. He could not have been any more willing to be part of that. Not only that, but he hung around for like another forty five minutes or so. He let Dan and I ask a bunch of weird and probing questions about his life and career and his innermost thoughts. He could not have been more gracious with his time, and it really was a pleasure to get to know a little bit more about him. If you're not familiar with Adam Amine's work, my hunch is that you will be. He is a play by play guy for ESPN. We know him in the college football world because he called college football with Mac Brown. But he also does the NFL, basketball, baseball, you name it. He's a super talented guy. He's on his way up. Great sense of humor. Also a secret verbal survivor from last season, which is certainly notable here on the show. We had a ton of fun getting to know Adam a little better. I suspect you will too.
Speaker 1: Have a listen. All right, so we are joined by the great Adam aman Man.
Speaker 4: You give him really good introductions, colleague to me, Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: That's the that's the up and coming play caller. He's made booth play by play guy. We just did play by play.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: That was all my last super verbal, the verbal Tecmo, super verbal.
Speaker 1: Oregon, Notre Dame, ugly all the game, blowout City thirty five to ten final. It was not pretty. I did not.
Speaker 4: I did not need that punctuation on the Organ season.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I'm gonna tell you from my emotional wellbeing, I'm not in a good place.
Speaker 4: But you are here in Tampa because you are. He's waving at everybody audio. I just like waiting at people. Is there anything wrong with that? Just a friendly guy, Dan, I'm so happy. I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Honestly, like I I ran it our good buddy Nicole Auerbox last night. Yes, she's around, and a bunch of the writers that I follow and admire very greatly. And I told them, I was like, I'm surrounded by people I like, people I love, and people I admire, and it's like, it's my first time being in an event like this.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a great time. I've never done it.
Speaker 4: This is sort of secretly it's it's college football media prom without. This is without the outward dancing at the end of the not a lot of awkward dancing. Some if you've seen Andy Staples around, okay, but yeah, no, we'd dancing. No weird dresses or suits, awkward fitting. It's just a good time. Maybe it's like a convention. I don't Know's are some weird suits. There are don't sell it short.
Speaker 3: There are some I don't name names decisions on here.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's wait, can they Okay, So let's paint a quick picture for the folks, real quick. And and we're leaning in, and we're at a table together, and we're all leaning in and to our immediate right, there are some interesting pants.
Speaker 1: Those are those John Day pants. Pink.
Speaker 2: It's like the pink Ranger like made her Power Ranger suit into pants.
Speaker 4: It's like a gumball machine came to life and threw up everywhere.
Speaker 1: That's what it looks like. I think that's fairly I taste the rainbo. I mean, that's pretty much it.
Speaker 4: So you're here and Monday night during the game, you will be on the fields, Yes, with Taj Boyd Clemson Greats quarterback, Barrett Jones All American Center, Farmer Center for Alabama and uh and Joe Tests.
Speaker 2: The Great Joe Tests. He's the Great Joe Test, the Great Joe Tests. So what will you what will that function be? You don't usually call a game from a field, No, of course not. And it's and it's a new concept in the last couple of years. Uh, and we see we've seen this kind of bleed over into other sports now and this is we've kind of dubbed it as a crew as the Homer Cast, Yes, just because it's it seems catchy, but it's part of the Mega Cast that we've now done for three years. Yeah, three or four years now at this point. And the Mega Cast has been a huge hit the last several years. And we keep adding things and coming up with different ideas, and a couple of years ago they said, let's get some people from these programs that are former players and guys that have some semblance of an idea of how to analyze games. And Taj and Barrett are very sharp guys who know what they're doing and know what they're talking about.
Speaker 1: So we figured, let's let's get their take.
Speaker 2: Let's have their perspective, their Homer perspective on these teams and what we can do and put it all together. So now all four of us are going to be on the field and we're quasi calling the game, and you know, will you be moving We'll be moving like through up and down the sideline, people behind the end zone. Basically, it's a free for all and in the best way possible because we were not confined to the rules, the typical rules of television, So it'll be really fun. We have a skeleton, but we get to kind of fill in the muscle like however we want to.
Speaker 3: So it's not a conventional broadcast you're accustomed to doing. How do you prepare for something like this as opposed to what you normally do.
Speaker 2: It's more streamlined and a lot of it is just going to be leaning on Barrett and Taje and their perspectives, and we really want to see their emotion of it when Clemson scores. I want to see Taj Boyd react excitedly. I want to see pump for it.
Speaker 4: I should mention it's Alabama if Clemson scores, right, Yes, we just have to and this will be we will be airing this probably after the game, right, ty is that is that correct? But it is cool to hear so when you listen back. If Adam Imin gets run over by both Scarborough, this will be the last audio.
Speaker 1: Time for the game. Buddy ever hears me on a podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough, Which, by the way, that's not out of the realm of possibility that bos Garber literally just runs me over.
Speaker 1: Here's my requests.
Speaker 4: I don't ask for much, but it feels like because it's so first person, you're on the sideline, you're so close to the action. The sport that really has that much more so than than football, is basketball. Yeah, I want you to drop. You don't have to do more than one. I want one and one mixtape scream. I just want like an old baby, That's all I want. You can call anybody you want hot sauce or you know Barrett Jones an accomplished student, right, he had like a four roh. Absolutely, you can call him the professor. You can just all happily drop that down.
Speaker 3: See that was that was a Brent Musburger thing. He would come up with a professor. He would come up, that's true, come up with a pet nickname, right for like major Applewhite was the major. Yeh, Darren sprolls right, he was a little tank. So this is something perhaps to as as.
Speaker 1: An opportunity, opportunity for yeah, I think on Monday night.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I just want and one add one whatever with his name to come up with just on the fly catchphrase like listen, will you get fired from ESPN for ad libbing too much?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 2: But this is your legacy, this is this is the mark that I wanted to leave. And then both Scarborough will wun me over.
Speaker 1: He will run you over. He will run you off social media superstardom. I think if Scarborough runs you.
Speaker 4: Up, oh both Scarborough is oh if if he runs over, if he runs that's true, you you increase your queue?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, what's that thing on Twitter? Like you clout clouds score is gonna be like four.
Speaker 1: Bit I'm gonna pump that thing up at least four points.
Speaker 2: Absolutely will something. I'm at like a forty eight right now. That's if we can jump over cloud cloud score work.
Speaker 4: I've met two people I have two friends now who have been run over on a football sideline, and both of them ended up like Sports Nation, they end up Oh yeah, show of course.
Speaker 1: So well here's our story. What do you have.
Speaker 3: So we met for the first time about two years after we did the show, that's true, and we had a connection at the time early days. We were on the field for Texas against Nebraska two thousand and nine and nine ten. Yeah, we're standing in the end zone and have you called the game in Nebraska?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, yeah, I love it. Okay, so you'll know you'll understand this then.
Speaker 3: So somebody kicks off I think it was Texas and whoever. The kicker was beams one through the end zone and it's coming right at me.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's hot, it's coming in hot. Yeah.
Speaker 3: This was the first game I had been to, at least on the sidelines in the end zone.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So I'm sitting I'm like, what's the move. Do you try to catch the ball? Am I going to get kicked out if I catch the ball? The guy next to me, who I later learned had been doing the kicking nets for like forty years, decides he's going to reach out one hands, it, goes out, takes a step out, holds it up, gets the entire round of applots from Memorial Stadium. I found out after the fact that this was like the moment in his life. He wants this on his tombstone. I didn't know what to do. I was terrified.
Speaker 4: It should be noted there's about four and a half feet between the back of the end zone and the wall Lincoln. There's not a lot of rooms, so like we legitimately could have been run over by somebody in that So.
Speaker 1: My point is that was my moment to maybe shine and I faltered. So don't be like me. If you have the opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, take a fat moment comes, embrace it, wrap your arms around it and never let go of it.
Speaker 1: Will you have your hands free? Is it just a headset situation.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have We're gonna have stick mics, oh will so we're gonna be because we've got to be able to run around and go down the sidelines and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna have stick mikes. Okay, we've got stick mics. Now should we throw at him? Let's have a cup of water. Pies, pies pies? Is there? Wait, nobody got that reference? That's fair?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Will there be as an organizer from Saturday Night Live? Okay, let's fine.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched Saturday Night Live recently that I think it was like five years ago when Will Forte was still on it. Okay, so it's like a decent chunk of time at this point. John Ham was was the Yeah, yeah, yeah, toast.
Speaker 4: It sounds familiar. I'm not gonna pretend like I know understand the reference. I mean, I'm not like the we're not all gonna hit hit up percent. We're not gonna We're not gonna absolutely not. Is there a cherry picker that anybody in the broadcast will be involved with that's running along the sideline?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Because that's what I would ask you for thing that we get run over? Is no.
Speaker 4: I'm hoping that like, instead of tossing it down to the field, you toss it up to somebody in the picker that's what I want.
Speaker 2: Great view from up here, guys, I don't think we have access to that unfortunately. Okay, so you are or I might just get up on like Barrett's shoulders.
Speaker 1: Smart that could smart might be the best world.
Speaker 4: You are in Chicago, Yes, so you're sort of removed from the greater ESPN galaxy. Everybody seems to be in Bristol, La. Yeah, a lot of people in the South to to sort of get to games. Yeah, a lot of Charlotte folks.
Speaker 2: And it's it's fun to come to one of these, Like I said's my first time coming to one of these. I think it's so cool because I'm looking around, like, you know, what are we at Audio Avenue they're calling it, Like I'm looking around. I know like five people that I've worked with or have a relationship with, and some like it's great. It's so cool to be a part of this. And you don't get to see all the other play by play anounts, or or all the other analysts or the reporters or people that you've worked with in the past, you don't necessarily work with on a consistent basis now and we're all in the same room.
Speaker 1: We're all in the same town.
Speaker 2: We're covering the same game, and it's such a rarity and it's really fun. Last night we go to the you know, ESPN has some kind of party, which you know, they're like, oh, you're going to that party. This is this is how not famous I am? Okay, Like, if you're Carrie Champion, you're getting like an invite to everything sure in Tampa, like everybody wants you to come out.
Speaker 1: We have not invited Carrie Champion on the solid Parbol just to be clear.
Speaker 2: Well, see, and this is why I'm happy to be here because it makes me feel like I'm you're a I'm a somebody today. But like they don't want they don't they want Carrie, they don't want me. So everybody's like, you're going to this party, right, You're going to this party. I'm like no, like I don't get I'm not that guy. And then like an hour before this thing is supposed to happen, somebody's like, hey, you have to go to this thing, like it's an ESPN thing. They want you to go, you should go, And I'm like, well, thanks for telling me. I'm literally wearing like jeans and a T shirt and like, can I put on a sweater? Can I do somewhat presentable at some point? So we show up. We get to the blue carpet because I think all State was sponsoring it, so it's a blue carpet rather than a red carpet. And one of the PR guys, our buddy Derek, goes, hey, you want to walk the blue carpet. We want you to to walk it. I'm like, sure, you're joking, right, Uh huh, you're you're kidding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, open up your jacket pockets. There's nobody cares.
Speaker 2: Like I walked in with Mac and Max's wife, and I'm like, Mac can do it.
Speaker 1: Because they want Mac.
Speaker 2: They want to talk to Mac, they want to see Sally, they want to take a nice photo.
Speaker 1: That's all good. They don't want me.
Speaker 2: Who are you wearing Guilden guilt? Well it's guild Dan, Yeah, let's not.
Speaker 1: It's not. I called the bowl. I have to know it now. Yeah, that would make sense. But like somebody they're like, no, no, no, you can do it. You go go. They want you to walk the blue carpet.
Speaker 2: And somebody is like writing a name, you know, my name down, like they have like name plates for everybody. So somebody walks behind you and says, this is like the name plate says who you are.
Speaker 1: They don't have a name plate. Somebody's sharp being.
Speaker 2: My name, uh huh, and they spelled my last name incorrectly that I'm like ad Nan Verk. They're like a niche a niche sra Kevin Nigani. Uh So I'm like Derek. Nobody like, this person doesn't know who I am because they're spelling my name wrong.
Speaker 1: And I don't blame them. That's cool.
Speaker 2: There's no reason for them to know who I am. So nobody should like care if I walk the blue carpet. Derek's like, yeah, yeah, you're good.
Speaker 1: Like same page page sold. Okay, how was the party? It was really cool. It was cool.
Speaker 2: It was cool to be in the room with all these people and hang out for a little bit, and you know, you get to meet some some of the ESPN people that you watch but maybe you've never worked with, Like met Jamel Hill last night, got to got to talk to her for a little bit at John Butcher Gross, Like, those are cool people to hang out with and talk to you for a couple of minutes at a time.
Speaker 4: And how many people at that party, and this is going to be very important to tie for mathematical purposes. How many gentlemen at the party wore suits with sneakers?
Speaker 1: Even?
Speaker 2: I can't even and there not enough digits? No, like I it's it would take everybody's fingers and toes.
Speaker 3: Here we have a secret histogram where we're plotting all of these suit and sneaker combinations that we're seeing down here in Tampa.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, it is, Yeah, it is robust. It's a significant robust. Did you go suit and sneaker? No?
Speaker 2: Because I didn't have Like I literally showed up in like jeans and a sweater good and I was like a man of the people.
Speaker 1: I'm casual guy here. I like that. What's the eating plan here in Tampa?
Speaker 4: All the foods, I think is what I'm going to for just all the food. I would recommend Columbia for Cuban food.
Speaker 1: Well, where did you go? Because you went? You went twice to get you to get Cuban food.
Speaker 4: We went to Columbia, which I think is the superior option. Okay, it's like what a ten minute uber from where we're sitting right now, and it's been around since like early twentieth century. Wow, And they come around, they hand You're just a hot loaf of Cuban bread when you sit down, and you feel terrible eating it, but you feel wonderful at the same time.
Speaker 3: All the waiters have tuxes on. It's a very authentic experience.
Speaker 1: It's a very old school experience. Would commend Columbia.
Speaker 2: That sounds delightful, I know, and I've done all, like the steakhouses and stuff anywhere. Yeah, you want something that has you want to kill her to it? Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: That's a great any stables ate a donut burger, which I can't recommend, and good nons.
Speaker 1: So you're not a fan of the donut burger.
Speaker 4: I like donuts. I like burgers. Try to impress. What are you trying to prove by doing that?
Speaker 1: Have you had one? I think I don't think you have to try to impress. Yeah, I've had that and it's good. It's it's just the mix.
Speaker 2: Of sweet or like savory and sweet and now salty and sweet.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like nobody eats a good hamburger bun and thinks, but what if we did more?
Speaker 1: But if we glazed this well remember like the double down.
Speaker 2: I do remember that, and like, so who was like, you know what we should do, Let's make it into bread.
Speaker 4: There's the KMC double down. There was the bowl, the famous bowl. Is that what it was called? Oh, he's just the sadness piles failure bowl or something.
Speaker 1: Like the sad Bowl of salt and sadness.
Speaker 4: See, that's that's to me, is too much when you start making it a gimmick like fried chickens good as is.
Speaker 1: So where do you stand then? On the doritos locos tacos? Oh, and again I love those? Is it great?
Speaker 2: I like the cooler ranch ones. But you know what you have to do? This is a good like rule of thumb. Have to add sour cream.
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 2: Because just like the taco bell taco is, it's fine, but I would go supreme to add the tomatoes and the sour cream because for whatever reason, it goes really well with the dorito's.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, like, it feels like it's so seasoned. You need something to cut that that heavy seasoning, and the sour cream might too.
Speaker 3: That sounds actually a big, big reason why I'm not normally a fan of the novelty type stuff.
Speaker 1: I feel like I would try that.
Speaker 3: I feel like because that that literally rescued Taco Bell from going the way to the Diamos.
Speaker 2: And then they're like, oh now let's do breakfast, and everybody loves the Taco Bell breakfast.
Speaker 4: They have like that weird egg tortilla octagon. I don't know what it's called. Oh yeah, breakfast trun trap.
Speaker 2: When the crunch Rap came out, I was in high school and I thought it was God's gift really us, Like I was so happy because there was a Taco Bell right by our high school. So we'd go to like volleyball practice, basketball practice, we'd get done immediately go to Taco Bell because at seventeen eighteen years old, your metabolism is such that you can you can pound like three of those and nobody would be the wiser because you're not gonna change it all. We u some playing now and I can't ever close down. I am I feel it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: We used to get Taco bell before playing like street football in high school.
Speaker 1: Like after school, we would drive through Taco Bell.
Speaker 4: You'd eat a taco bell eat like the Mountain dew Baja blast whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which also I love. It's terrific.
Speaker 4: I would pound god two or three double decker tacos before playing football. Always a mistake, always the great, always just wonderful.
Speaker 2: What was your like tremendously like, tremendously awful decision when it came to fast food.
Speaker 1: I don't know if Applebee's is considered fast. Give me something that has a drive throw yeah, yeah, it's got it. Yeah, that's a has to have a driver.
Speaker 3: Up at Penn State in college, they would offer this deal at the local McDonald's. You'd get five cheeseburgers and a basket of fries for six dollars. Wow, cheeseburger five like regulation sized cheeseburger Like a dollar now, I think five.
Speaker 1: Cheeseburgers and a full basket of fries. McDonald This might have been like the pre dollar. Yeah that's true.
Speaker 3: True, these were early days, so many moons ago, right, thank you. This would be a thing after a long night of whatever. Yep, Friday, Saturday night, anyone want to go to McDonald's and pick up a couple of these five cheeseburger basket fries deals. I can't tell you how many of those I ate on my own.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't be able to tell by the way I spelt physique first time in person, getting I prefer chiseled.
Speaker 1: He dipped on the carbs. He dipped on the carbs and made a difference.
Speaker 2: Nobody looks at me, and it's like, oh, you're you're you've never been fat for But I I don't know what it is about my body.
Speaker 1: It puts fat in very odd place. I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I am a tremendously odd shaped person. Fair like I've I like, I've got fitted for a suit the other day. My buddy's getting married and had to go get fitted for the groomsman suit and the guys are like, you know what you are?
Speaker 1: You're a triangle And I'm like, what is Wow? That's rough. What It's not as bad as being called a rhombust.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, at least at least like the sides are equal, I guess. But like he's He's like, you have broad shoulders and you have very like you have no hips and no butt, so buying jeans and pants is impossible for you. And I'm like, wow, you really really mad me for seven minutes and you want to sell you a suit. You ripped me apart physically, you.
Speaker 1: Have commitment issues. I'm like, yes, so now you have a low level of self and is getting married. I am getting married. That's right in Chicago.
Speaker 2: The fiance. I remember it was when you and I talked about milkshakes. Yes, the first time around. I remember you talking on the podcast about your the fiance yelling about the Cubs Indians game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is shore, this is one hundred percent. He has yet to get his suit, that's true. When's the wedding late? May I have time? Oh?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Do you have any advice for him? As he was just looking at his frame? I'll stand kind of suggestions. You literally could buy off the rack and you're fine.
Speaker 2: You are you like you are the most commonly shaped human being I think ever, other than being like a couple of inches taller than average, highter, like for what, what's what's average male height? Now is considered than average. But you could buy off the rack and you'd be golden. I think you can never buy off the rack. I'm sorry, or if I do, I have to get a tailored a million suit wise for the upcoming the wedding is just basic black, simple, traditional black. I got to hit it for a different suit the other day. It's like royal blue.
Speaker 4: See I'm going with a darker navy type situation.
Speaker 2: So like to like I'm I'm gonna wear like navy on on Monday, but I'm showing Dan this suit. This is like the weirdest, like wow, that's like Verruca salt. Oh that is blueberry and like ballooning up and you can really see his weird body in that shot.
Speaker 1: I have a very odd.
Speaker 2: Pot look at this truck, like I think you can actually see like an Illuminati trying.
Speaker 4: And he's not at all like big, Like it's it's not a chunk thing. It's just a layout thing. It's like walking into a living room and you're like the couch is where That's what it is. If I'm gonna paint the picture for our listen, I think you did a fabulous job, and do thank you, by the way. It'd I have a lot of fast food thoughts, and I know you feel passionately about this one.
Speaker 1: Have you done Jack in the box tacos?
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't sound like they should have tacos, but they do because everything is on their menu. You've talked about this excellent. They're terrible all at the same time. They're like grease sleeves. I don't know what kind of meat is there, but it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Also, I've done ten McDonald's cheeseburgers in a sitting, just to jump in. Yeah, and I've done.
Speaker 1: Ten or twelve.
Speaker 4: It's two for a dollar Jack in the box. By the way, the two tacos, two tacos for a dollar. You should try it and independently come up with your own conclusion. Okay, but they're very weird and good though. I will do the jack in the box. I think the most cheeseburgers I've eating, no one shitting.
Speaker 1: And the dollar Yeah. Yeah, she's the real small Donald's.
Speaker 2: I would say probably probably four and a like four or five. It's reason yeah, but ten is a ten. College we had like an eating competition. It was eight or ten did go afterwards, there was we did weird stuff. We did jack in the box, sockers with McDonald's cheeseburgers. We did water, which is actually super bad for you. You can get water poison.
Speaker 1: You have died. Yeah, that was the most gallon of water.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was uncomfortable. I had two roommates that did the Milk Challenge and died very poor. Always the same too, well, no and two different ways. There's multiple your own adventures. So I wasn't involved in the milk Challenge, but one and one entry. One entrance just stopped before the gallon and felt horrible for like three days, like his body was just a fish tank of slushing milk.
Speaker 1: Oh Man.
Speaker 2: The other one lumbering around trying to maneuver like a human being.
Speaker 1: Yes, possible.
Speaker 4: The other one finished, completed the gallon, but then looked like a boxer and like, who's the fight should be called? And he's just sort of woozy and you see him just like rearing back, and like three minutes after produced something just in the vomiting realm that was not great and it not on my comforter in my dorm room.
Speaker 1: Okay, just a nightmare, so don't do that. Okay. Could not have been created by a human being whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Tonight's show is brought to you by our good friends over at Blue Apron.
Speaker 1: You've heard us talk about Blue Apron before.
Speaker 3: It's a great service that delivers all the ingredients you need to.
Speaker 1: Make a delicious feast.
Speaker 3: They send it right to your front door. They can deliver to ninety nine percent of the United States.
Speaker 1: Why even go to the supermarket.
Speaker 3: You can get everything you need with the click of a button and it tastes amazing. Here are some of your menu options for January. How about some spicy shrimp in Korean rice cakes with cabbage and foot of cocky, or pork chops and garlic, picada with scallion, rice and spinach, or mushroom and chipottle pepper enchiladas with lime sour cream.
Speaker 1: Wow. Check it all out and get.
Speaker 3: Your first three meals for free with free shipping by going to blue Apron dot com slash solid. That's Blue Apron dot com slash solid. You will love how good it feels and tastes to create incredible home cooked meals with blue aprons, So please do not wait. Blue Apron dot com slash solid. Blue Apron is a better way to cook. We're also brought to you by our good friends over at Texture. This time of year, everyone's traveling, going on vacation. My own co host he's away. There's no way you're gonna cram all the magazines you want to read into that carry on bed.
Speaker 1: Now you can with Texture. It's a new app.
Speaker 3: It gives you unlimited access to over two hundred magazines. They have gone so far above and beyond delivering just a magazine and digital form.
Speaker 1: They've made it easy to find and enjoy all the articles you want to read.
Speaker 3: They give you daily recommendations, exclusive interactive features, videos, much much more.
Speaker 1: It's searchable and you can mark what you like.
Speaker 3: You can check out back issues, view all kinds of bonus video content. They even curate articles of magazines just for you or whoever you're giving Texture to this year. Why on earth would you subscribe to a paper magazine or to just a couple of magazines when you can have all the best ones on your smartphone or tablet all the time, and it costs a lot less.
Speaker 1: Right now, you can try it.
Speaker 3: For free for fourteen days when you go to texture dot com slash Solid. That's a fourteen day free trial of Texture when you go to texture dot com slash solid t e x t U r E dot com slash solid.
Speaker 4: So you also tweeted something I don't know a few weeks ago at this point, yeah, which I thought was underrated. One of my favorite tweets of the year, not because it was just like worded in like a super clever way. Was not a joke. It just had a story that I need to hear. That's behind it. And I have minimal experience with dating apps, but you tweeted something that you got asked by I guess a match on a dating apps about I don't know how to get into broadcasting or something like career advice via a dating via a dating app? So what is Are you comfortable telling this story?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 4: And how how soon did this person ask you? Like, was there any flirtation to begin with?
Speaker 1: Was this the opening line? Like? It was not the opening line? Okay, at least that's good.
Speaker 2: So I got matched up with a young lady and she works in Denver, Colorado.
Speaker 1: Okay, and thrown a wide net out there from Chicago. Well, no, I was, I was in Okay, Okay, gotcha?
Speaker 2: And it was very interesting because she works for like I think she works for the Rockies as like like some kind of like in game entertainment person or something like that in the business in some capacity. And we get matched up and he's like, hey, are you in town for a game? Like what's going on? And like very cute, very very seem like very personable, just based off the initial initial messages and things like that. It's like, yeah, I'm here in town, what like, what's what's going on with you? Like just basic dating app went back and forth, and I was like, all right, maybe this might be like, hey, you want to go grab a drink or something like that type naturally, and literally like eight messages in, she's like, so what do you do? And I'm like, and that's a typical question to ask as well. I'm telling I'm a broadcaster. I happen to be calling this game. And she goes so and it began like it's dot dot dot and I'm like, all right, so she's writing something out It is like a paraground now eating app.
Speaker 1: Of just which seems even longer on a phone.
Speaker 2: I'm like, if I have to scroll to get through the entire message, that is a long message. And essentially it was what you know, like what can I do to get into the industry? Like but I'm I'm like, that's it, I'm done, so and I and I gave her the advice, by the way, sure because at this point, all right, clearly I had in the PostScript in the PostScript that I think my tweet was, uh, got to respect the hustle absolutely, like.
Speaker 1: Like so stupid.
Speaker 2: I'm like, it's like it's like gets a guy gets matched up with girl on dating app? Girl ass how to get into broadcasting. I've put a sad face of mooji, but got to respect the hust got to.
Speaker 1: Respect the hustle.
Speaker 4: I mean, she honestly could have just said, Hey, is there a good email address to contact you on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Are you on LinkedIn? Yeah? Can I get Can I get that linked in? That's incredible?
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's so it's the awkwardness. It didn't work out. No, it did not work surprisingly enough. That is the only time. That is the awkwardness of my dating life. Okay, like I have the weirdest day. It's impossible to have any consistency, Like I mean, it's great, I'm in Tampa. Now I'm going straight to start to Fayetteville, Arkansas. Then I go to Cincinnati. Then you know, like it's just hard to find the time.
Speaker 1: And it's it's I.
Speaker 4: Will say, with love being so Digital twenty seventeen, ty, if you do a job that's on camera like I do, like Adam does, and you have been on camera a lot, obviously.
Speaker 1: Uh, there is very little.
Speaker 4: Mystery when somebody starts stalking you, like when they start dating you.
Speaker 1: So it's not like, yeah, your life is out there.
Speaker 2: Your personality is out there, like and I take pride in that, Like I take pride in being like good at my job, and that's me at my best. Like the three of us, I know how hard you guys work at this and every other endeavor that you guys are involved in, and that's you at your best essentially, Like I put so much work into all of the projects that I do. I want people to see me like that. That's me at my best. But how do you handle the worst of it all?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Like, it's it's it's it's an interesting dynamic.
Speaker 2: For people who are in this business or on camera or have a job that requires their personality to be out there constantly.
Speaker 1: It's there are weird conversations, Like I've had a conversation with my now fiance but she said, yeah, she was talking to one of her friends. You're very easy to find and you have a lot of Twitter followers, and I was like, I don't know how to respond to that. It's it's jokes about tacos, right, Like you can go back and look at every single dumb thing I've ever said on Twitter.
Speaker 2: God, there there are so many dumb things I've said, and it's they're easy, easily and.
Speaker 1: Readily area And the search feature on Twitter isn't good for that. You know it just true. It always tends to dig up the dirt. Yeah. Yeah, that's gotten me a couple of times. So social media is not always the best friend.
Speaker 4: You knew your your now wife before kids, so you're You're fortunate.
Speaker 1: I've had a lot of weird conversations. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now I haven't necessarily gone there with it, but she is aware of it. Like if she wanted to dig something up on me, she could in a heartbeat.
Speaker 4: Because all right, so what's twenty seventeen for Adam Imin?
Speaker 1: It's been cool so far? What's the plan? What's what's moving forward?
Speaker 2: The plan is to keep doing this. I mean honestly, it's it's a it's a fun time. I mean, work in every sport and being able to cover everything it gets cover.
Speaker 1: I mean, what am I going this? I'm the luckiest do of course it is soo I mean this is so cool. Is what are you doing basketball in the spring. College basketball.
Speaker 2: NBA will move out to Major League Baseball once the season starts, we'll do I still do college softball.
Speaker 1: Like what's your favorite series?
Speaker 2: And I can't say for sure, like baseball is like the sport I grew up on. That's the fan in me is a huge baseball fan, but as a broadcaster, honestly, like it's the job that gets me excited.
Speaker 1: Let me frame it like this, what's the hardest the most difficults.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say it's probably football preparation level is so high sat pace, there's the pace of it. I mean, there's so many variables in a football game, and where you might take a broadcast, you have no clue. Basketball it's more so much more self contained. Like here's a four minute segment, here's a for minute segment, here's you know, five minutes of play.
Speaker 1: All right, it's late in the game, it's close. Let's focus on the game.
Speaker 2: But you can manipulate it a lot more Baseball there's a lot of time where you can injecting to explore, you can converse about various subjects. But with football, it is a dictated pace, It is a dictated game.
Speaker 1: It is difficult to really like.
Speaker 2: I have so much respect for Like TV football producers are like some of the smartest people.
Speaker 1: In that truck. And it is like a chaotic symphony. Yeah, it is that.
Speaker 2: That is a beautiful way to describe it. It's a chaotic symphony. The guys who you know, the guys and women in this business that make that happen to make it look as good as they do.
Speaker 1: Incredible to me.
Speaker 4: I feel like we're on a great first date with Adam Am. I feel like that's what's happening, right. We've gotten to know him. We know him professionally, we know him personally a little bit, we know about his fast food tastes.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: Now, So to avoid future situation with a young lady perhaps hustling a little bit too hard on a dating app, what was your path?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: What is what has worked for you professionally to get to a very impressive point at a You're pretty young, all things considered. The people that are doing your job in this industry are generally older. So what has been your path? After Valparaise that was where you went to school. So now that all the young ladies, all the potential sutresses.
Speaker 1: All the Sutresses. That is phenomenal because Sudourettes, Sudourettes, I don't know, does that work. He's he's he's clearly a prized high So what is that path so that they can skip trying to get that information out of you and just know you as a person. Yeah, see, this is this is well framed. Keep cuting.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the deepest of cut I do. I do try this is B side what I do? This is this is B side. Right now, this is rubber soul. We're talking about the B side.
Speaker 1: What is the path? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I would say for me, it was going to a small town, you know, working a couple of radio stations that were in it's out of three thousand people and learning how to be on air, like learning. I had been on air a ton in college, but you get to these you know, these jobs. It's a very niche audience, very small, but they're the ones who listen. They care, they they care about the content and being on air where it was a spirit Lake, Iowa.
Speaker 1: Okay. That was the first my first full time job out of college.
Speaker 2: And you're on air four times a day for sportscast and then you're doing basketball and football and wrestling matches and things like that. You're on the air all the time. It's a lot of reps. Then I went to Central New Jersey. You do a minor league baseball job there. You're on air one hundred and forty times in one hundred and fifty days. It's impossible to duplicate that amount of repetition. Like it's that's the way you learn how to do this stuff. And then it was doing freelance TV, and it was meeting the right people, and it was trying to make good impressions. And really it's not a science by any means, but you kind of take everything for what it's worth and you try to do the best you can at it and try to make sure that people are on you appreciate it.
Speaker 4: And so what was your first at was ESPN? Your first National Spotlight shops. So what was your first responsibility at ESPN?
Speaker 2: I worked the HBCU college football package on ESPNU tape delayed ten thirty Eastern time at night. Jay Walker and I did that package together. I did a couple of like live games with David Diaz and Fontes, like it was the Whack when the wax still existed, so it was like yeah, and like it was like a couple of BYU games and then like Fresno State was in the whack at that time.
Speaker 1: Nevado, Hawaii. How old were you at this? I was twenty four when I got hired. Wow.
Speaker 2: So it's been six years since I started at ESPN.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And you know, doing college softball and college volleyball, college basketball, doing the high school basketball stuff with all the recruiting. I did a couple of years of high school football at ESPN. So I really didn't know how to call football either, right, I didn't call much of it until I got to ESPN. I started calling the NFL when I was twenty five on radio, which accelerated like the learning problem. You have to know the sport if you're going to call the NFL, and just getting reps for that that accelerated the whole process. Is there is there anyone that you try to emulate on the radio, It's Kevin Harlan.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I think he's one of the most descriptive radio announcers ever and I've really taken that to heart. And on the TV side, I don't know if I emulate anybody maybe Mike Tarico, just because I'm there. I try to Again, I'm not a guy who came in knowing everything about it. But you learn as much as you can, and you try to take the intelligent man's approach to the game and try to accentuate that with your analysts and things like that. But you pick up a little bit from everybody. I've picked up stuff from Joe Tessitour and from Chris Fowler, and you know, Brett the brad Nessler's of the world, and Brent and everybody that's in front of you. You're constantly watching and going I like that. That doesn't fit with me. Maybe I can implement this.
Speaker 1: I should. I can hear myself make that mistake. I should avoid that.
Speaker 2: Like you pick up stuff from everywhere, you're always kind of pinching, you're sampling constantly.
Speaker 3: The danger with that, I would imagine, is that you have a tendency to either a over thin it or.
Speaker 1: Be edit yourself. Yes, how do you avoid falling into that trap?
Speaker 2: I think again, the reps helped the fact that I've gotten a chance to do so many games. You learn, like your voice, like I've I've you guys know my humor because we all tweeted each other all the time and we have a good time with it. I finally feel comfortable injecting that a little bit. I finally feel comfortable like being a little bit more of myself on the air than maybe I ever have. And it took five years to get there, you know, it takes that long. And I'm a guy who does like eighty ninety one hundred, one hundred and fifteen hundred and twenty games a year nationally, and it's it still took that long for me. And it's like the ten thousand hour rule for me, Like I had to do all this stuff to even feel comfortable doing it. And I've watched old footage of myself, so, oh, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't go to the TV route. I started on the internet.
Speaker 4: So I got a job at SI dot com when I was twenty four, so roughly the same age, but like I was one man banding it, like when I was going to football games and stuff like that. And I guess the good thing with TV is once you've done a broadcast on a local TV station or a minor league, it's gone forever. Nobody can ever dig that up. It is very easy to find, some very poor broadcasting and videos that I've Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I mean I still have tapes in my first radio broadcast. I have the tape of my first football game, and I cringe. Yeah, I've gone back maybe once or twice in the last few years, and I'll be like, let's pop this in for old time sake and see what it looked like and see what it sounded like.
Speaker 4: And oh, I have I have one final question. We let him get lunch, interact god, hand whatever. So there is a possibility that and I won't be fully in my hands.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to move to Chicago. My fiance is from.
Speaker 4: There, right, and I am a soft Southern Californian who is accelerating and sort of intensely exploring all of my geographical options to perhaps not make this so convince me that it might not be so bad.
Speaker 3: And I'll prefab saying this every time he mentioned Chicago. It's all about the weather.
Speaker 1: I think he loves. So I loved, I like the people, I love the food I love.
Speaker 4: You can get around really easily, but him, she until this year, did not let even let me visit. Between November and March, she just did not want me to see it, right, So convince me that it's workable.
Speaker 2: Food in the winter time tastes better in Chicago. Hot food, great restaurants. The food is just better in the winter time. Okay, I think that's important to know for especially for somebody like you who loves food the way you do. You love exploring restaurants. You will appreciate going to get a hot, good meal. Ramen San one of my favorite places in the city, Japanese Ramen Place. Went there the other night, freezing cold, we walk inside hot bowl of ramen in front of you.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 4: I mean, I live in New York now, so like I am familiar with like food, but like the difference in Chicago is kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: Like no, and I agree with that.
Speaker 2: And again, eight months out of the year, as far as I'm certain, best city in the country, wonderful place, and the summertime, I don't think you can beat it. But yeah, there are those couple of stretches of time where it's just not I mean it's brutal.
Speaker 1: You look good in jackets, that's always good jackets time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got a good six foot one frame over here off the rack off the trade. Are you in the city, are you out light.
Speaker 1: In the heart of the city, which I was gonna say, what's your address? You address? I come over the cross the streets. You have a favorite neighborhood I really liked, like the wicker Park.
Speaker 2: Wicker Park might be the best. It's just I mean the restaurants, they are fantastic. River North is great for like the trendy hip right restaurants, and then wicker Park is great for like dive bars.
Speaker 1: More New York.
Speaker 2: He to me, it is Yeah, I would say that that's like that's to me, like that's Brooklyn. Like wicker Park to me is like kind of like Brooklyn. Like that's like it's trendier like Manhattan is like Downtown for Chicago. That's kind of how I would equate those two things.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I don't mean, of course, I think the broadcaster of the solid Verbo the the he's gonna.
Speaker 1: Be an undernet legend by the time we get that. Absolutely So when he's hosting the Oscars, we're getting it.
Speaker 2: Like that's just howually I get Like, I think you get like five passes for the Oscars if you host the Oscars. He's gonna wait that is that is the most made up thing I've said on this podcast. I don't I don't know, Like, how do you determine that is the most like non sequitur thing I gotta come up with just then, I appreciate, but you'll be in when I.
Speaker 1: If and when done.
Speaker 2: Grammys and then you guys like, no, it's okay, Latin Grammys. Remember the Remember like the Simpsons used to like rip on the g like Grammys all the time. Of course I've got you got this Grammy And then he tosses it away, like why do they rip on the Grammy so much?
Speaker 4: They rip on the greatest, They rip on the Grammys, they rip on the sister schools in the Northeast faster Williams Like they just find the greatest things that nobody thinks. Yeah, so, Adam, I mean, thank you very much for your thank you.
Speaker 1: You can't wait to have your back best. I love it all right again, that was our interview with Adam. I mean from es. Hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: We will be back one week from tonight talking about all things National Signing Day. In the meantime, if you like the show, give us a holler at Solidverbal at gmail dot com. We're also on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, and on snapchat. If you like the show, don't forget to tell your friends about the Solid Verbal. You can subscribe at iTunes dot com slash Soliverbal for myself, Tie Hildebrand for Dan Rubinstein way down South.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you all in a week. Stay solid,