Speaker 1: My name is Clay Nukleman. This is a production of the bear Grease podcast called The Bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast. Presented by f h F Gear, American Maid, purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place as we explore. Welcome to the Bear Grease Render. If you're watching this on YouTube, you would notice that we are not in the Global Headquarters Dell.
Speaker 2: If you came to Arkansas, you.
Speaker 1: Would you would get to see the Global Headquarters slash Meat Eater South Office.
Speaker 3: So are most of your listeners from Arkansas?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I wish they were. I wish every one of them was.
Speaker 4: I was about to say, we can talk a little slower if we need.
Speaker 1: Well, if you if you uh, hey, we're We're ready to take it. We take it all the time from Texas, Texas and Arkansas.
Speaker 4: Touch yep.
Speaker 1: We talk more smack about Texas probably well, not as much as a few other states. But so it's okay.
Speaker 4: But the the that's the best thing y'all got going is the fact that Texa Arcana combines us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Texa, Arcana.
Speaker 1: Well we are in Winnebago, Texas at the Raider Radiated Ranch podcast studio.
Speaker 3: You've had a hard time saying that, why.
Speaker 2: Is that Radiator Ranch? It's a cast studio.
Speaker 1: A tongue twister for you, yeah, a little bit, a little bit, but man, uh, I have been watching Dale Brisbee. I'm not gonna say before you were cool, but before you're you were as cool.
Speaker 4: As you are now.
Speaker 1: Okay for real, Okay, uh years ago, like before Netflix, I remember seeing this wigged.
Speaker 3: Cowboy hatted like back in the red Box days.
Speaker 1: The lasses wearing cowboy, and I remember just being like, I like this guy. And so anyway, so I just say that to say I've been I've been watching you for a while, and then when your Netflix.
Speaker 2: Series came out, I was really excited for you.
Speaker 1: But tell me about I paused. I thought I thought you were about to jump in there though.
Speaker 4: Well, I was just gonna I was just gonna speculate on why you liked it so much. Well you could.
Speaker 3: It's called How to Be a Cowboy.
Speaker 4: And so that gave you you were like, oh, finally something I could study, Yes, learn how to be a cowboy and from the world's greatest bull rider yep, and the most humbled Dale Brisbee.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's right.
Speaker 3: So anyhow, what were we gonna ask?
Speaker 1: Well, so did you grow up in Texas?
Speaker 4: Well? Dale, Yeah, I was born in Lubbock, lived in Snyder for a minute, moved to Memphis, spent probably ten years around College Station area, and then now I live here in Winnebago.
Speaker 1: So okay, so everybody everybody knows you as Dale Brisbee, which is who you are.
Speaker 2: So who am I talking to right now?
Speaker 4: Am I talking to Dale Brisbee? Dale Brisbee?
Speaker 1: So you you actually went to school and in College Station?
Speaker 3: I mean I lived there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I went.
Speaker 4: I was spent some time on campus, did you did you hanging out with some of the chicks, and then the teachers would realize I'm not enrolled and that I really just live in a college town in Rodeo. So I got rid to go to college.
Speaker 1: Did you go to college?
Speaker 3: I spent a lot of time on that campus.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you didn't.
Speaker 4: You didn't graduate.
Speaker 3: Was I enrolled?
Speaker 4: Maybe not?
Speaker 1: Okay, but I had a lot of good times, A lot of good times.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Now, now this is a great slap to Texas.
Speaker 4: What school is there, Texas A and M baby A and M.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah it's Texas AM. Texas A and M in the Southeast Conference now SEC SEC.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much to Johnny Football.
Speaker 1: Yeah that helped well. So how long have you lived where you live now?
Speaker 3: Ten years?
Speaker 2: Ten years?
Speaker 4: Yep? And uh?
Speaker 1: And you you have legitimate roots in rodeo, yes, like like, give me, give me a little give me like a chronology, and like what was it like growing up? What do your parents do? Give me a little chronology of Dale Brisbee?
Speaker 4: Uh? Yeah, so my uh, my old man kind of did all of it in rodeo. And he would ride bareback. He was a bullfighter, pickup man. He rode bulls, he rode bronx. He I don't know how much he team roped, but I saw him at some jackpots and it seemed like he was handy at team roping. I never saw him tie cavs, but he knew it, seemed to know a lot about it. He was just all things rodeo. When he was fourteen, he showed up at a rodeo in Lubbock and just went to the d riggingshoot and started working for Charlie Thompson se Bart Rodeo and eventually started picking up. He might have been younger than that, like maybe twelve or thirteen. I think by the time he was fourteen he was picking up and uh yeah, he just loved he's he is the most passionate man about rodeo that I've ever met, and so I feel like I'm not too far behind him.
Speaker 3: But regardless, I grew up.
Speaker 4: With a dad that did all of it and he did not see it coming. Just how good at bull riding I would be and that is just the world's greatest. And at nine years old, I actually invented riding bulls with one hand, so for that they rode with two hands. Really, and I just yeah, it was just a little too easy for me, but I got to you came.
Speaker 1: You came by your love and passion for rodeo. Honestly, I mean like family, that's not correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Like I remember, he could drive the truck too, so like I just some I loved getting in the truck with him, you know, with the trailer load of stock and going down the road to a rodeo like it to me, that's when I really felt like I was living the dream and yeah, I remember mn. I don't know why I'm remembering some of these random memories I hadn't thought about in a long time. I guess just the way I described my dad just now kind of taking me back regardless, Yeah, watching him and so I did dabble in multiple events, and I really enjoyed pretty much anything on the roughstock end. To be honest, I kind of looking back, I wished I hadn't because it would have made me just a better cowboy. But I kind of even shot away from timed event stuff, specifically team roping. It's not that I regret not calf roping, but I wished I would have team roped a little more, been a little more handy with a rope. I guess, well, it would have made me at least a better cowboy, because I have always appreciated the ranching side of cowboy in and it does involve a rope, and so, like, I don't know, there's just been times in my life where I found myself around team ropers and I probably could have taken some really good instruction for him. But on the flip side of that, I did focus on the end of the arena that I wanted to be on, and so that was.
Speaker 1: A russtock yes, russtock side.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So let me back up and explain to the viewers the two ends, like, we're kind of segregated in rodeo, and it's mainly because of just the way the arena is set up. One end is your timed events, which is team roping, steer wrestling, calf roping, barrel racing, and they go one at a time and they time them.
Speaker 3: It's a race, but you go one at a time.
Speaker 4: And then on the other end of the arena because of how much you know the way the stock flow at a rodeo, you have your rough stock, which is bare back riding, sadur bronk riding, bull riding, and then the other two jobs to do down there would be bullfighting and a pickup man.
Speaker 3: The bullfighter's job is to distract the bull.
Speaker 4: When the bull rider comes off, and then the pickup man's job is to help the bucking horse riders off of their animal at the end.
Speaker 3: Of the eight second ride. Five jobs you can do down there.
Speaker 4: Three of them are competition, two of them are hired, and so that's those five things are what I enjoyed doing the most, you know, right around high school and then college and thereafter. So that's just where that's where my dad spent most of his time. And we talked about a little last night. There's there's something about the fight with an animal and the fight being like you're trying to ride him, he's trying to buck you off. Yeah, but there's a certain set of fundamentals in each of the events that you have to implement to ride him for eight seconds or make it around the bull that's trying to hook you as a bullfighter, and all those fundamentals are counterintuitive. Your intuition is going to tell you in the bull riding that bull is going to come up in the front end and his head's going to come back, and then he jumps in the air and he switches and his friend end hits the ground while his back end kicks, and so like if you've never been on a ball before, your intuition, as he jumps that head's.
Speaker 3: Coming near you, you're gonna want to like lean back, m.
Speaker 4: Well, then it's like a sling shot because his next move he's gonna kick, and if you're leaning back, well, he just slams you forward and you actually your teeth hit hit the top of his head. So as he jumps forward, you've got to counterbalance that and jump forward with him and literally drive out over the top of his head. We call it, to make it simple, going to the front, going to the front, But your intuition says no, get away from the front.
Speaker 2: So when he goes down, you go to the front.
Speaker 4: So if you if your fear overrides your logic of what the fundamentals are, then you're gonna you're gonna get bucked off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's essentially that's what I'm trying to explain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so in that moment, I'm not saying nobody has fear ever, but same thing in the broncrodon we talked about it. You have to lift on your bronchrane and keep your shoulders behind your hips. Well, your intuition if a horse is a start bucking is you want to sit up and you want to pull. Well, that'll get you bucked off. So the fundamentals to be successful are counterintuitive. Yeah, and so you make a decision in the shoot of if you let your fear take over, you will not succeed. But if you can control your emotions and execute the fundamentals. That's how you're successful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such, it's such a it's like a primitive that's the fight I'm talking about, the internal fight, Yeah, of not being a sissy in that moment. Yeah, I think, what what's so cool about about roughstock riding? Which I've observed from afar, but but just a tinge of it in riding mules that all that I'll connect is that this it's it's such a primitive, simple fear. Like I think so many of the fears that people have today are are complex and and and not a fear of you're about to get slammed into the dirt or kicked, which would be kind of like a primitive human fear be hurt by an animal, you know, right, But it's the same. That's the same fear that people have when their finances get out of control or when they're they have a child that you know, goes astray. I mean, like fear is this is this throbbed inside of a human. And I like to look at stuff and think about how does you know, like what's the significance of riding a bull for eight seconds? Or in my case, for what I do a lot in my life. Is like, what's the significance of taking an animal in a certain way and extrapolating that out into life and finding places where you're you're like a better person because you've done this thing and you've mastered this internal discipline.
Speaker 2: And that That's what I saw today. So we we buck some horses.
Speaker 1: I was in the arena on my mule and Holy col and I've seen I've been to rodeos, but something about being out there in the arena close, seeing the power of those horses and then watching these guys. I was watching your interns before they got on, and I was quizzing them. I was like, hey, man, are you are you kind of nerved up? Are you scared? You know, just like question them and they were, you know, they gave me several good answers about how they were calming their fear. Donnie over here, he was slapping his face before he got on that thing. But it's not it's not like I mean, I think people could look at some stuff like that and think it's just like this macho, you know, exercise, But.
Speaker 2: I don't view it like that at all.
Speaker 1: I view it like an internal discipline that I can respect that somebody could get on there because it's and here's where it ties into mules. I I got into mules and ecuon animals as an adult, like I grew up and some horses in rural Arkansas, but was never we didn't have we didn't have stock. And part of the reason I got into it, honestly, was because they intimidated me, and I was interested in in. I've always been interested in anything that really intimidated me and me trying to go.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, touch it.
Speaker 1: And then I just I love mules, wanting them for hunting. But man, when I first got into it, every moment of every ride, I was thinking what am I going to do if something goes wrong? And I got bucked off a few and had that feeling of just complete loss of control. You know that just scares the fire out of you. Nothing like what these boys handled today on these bronks. But I see it, you know, And that's what's cool about Oh there's about russ stock. There's risk. You know, it's a risk before and then if everything goes well afterwards, looking back in retrospect, it was an opportunity. But but if it goes poorly. Well, then it was a risk that you shouldn't, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Then it's it's easy to and that's in life too, even with finances, you know, like if the business fails, you know, you're when you are walking up to something, it's a risk. If you succeed at it, looking back, it was an opportunity. So there's a moment in there whenever you are in the buck and shoot where the stakes are high, of you know, with rodeo, like we talked about it last night. I've not witnessed anyone anyone's life come to an end and in any arena, but I know people who have. Now none of them were close friends, but like I'm familiar with this bull rider that it happened to. And so the seven degrees of Kevin Bacon is not seven degrees away for us on that front. So when you crawl down in the buck and shoot, like any Bronc or bull rider would be lying if they would if they said it never cross their mind. Yeah, that could be their last ride regardless, Like you know, the risks you're taking, the stakes are high, and they're not as high for as you know, maybe like somebody who's serving in the military, but they're still pretty high compared to just your every day I'm going to go to the mall and go shopping, and so that's what I'm talking about. When you're able to overcome the fear of what could happen and then you execute these fundamentals at a high level and you succeed, making a good bronc cry just kind of encompasses. It's like everything good about being a cowboy just floods through your veins for the eight seconds during in about thirty minutes after, sometimes longer, and it's almost like you get a glimpse of like everything that makes being a cowboy cool. It just flashes before your eyes during and after that ride when it goes well, yeah, man. And so I don't know, it's because it is hard to explain to somebody who has no idea about the sport, like why would you get on this animal? And even for the for the first you know, I just wanted to be just like my dad. And so for the first, you know, fifty or one hundred bronks I got on, I didn't know why I was doing it either, but I knew because it's scared the crap out of me. Bulls legitimately did not scare me really as much like there were times maybe certain bulls, but broncs that scared me because they're higher off the ground, they're going fast yep, and it's just different and so but it just it was deep down in me, and I was like, I have to conquer this fear that I have.
Speaker 1: When you think a guy like JB. Mooney, does he have fear?
Speaker 4: Well, there's times where JB has been on enough and he's been down the road enough that I mean he's seen it all. He probably has witnessed you know somebody. I mean like he's he went to fifteen PBR World finals. But what you described where that little feeling inside of you like he understands Bushwhacker is the I mean the bull bucked him off a dozen times before he wrote it the thirteenth.
Speaker 2: We got to give a little bit of context.
Speaker 1: So JB. Mooney is the most winning bull rid of all time, good friend of yours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say he's the second.
Speaker 4: Greatest bull rider of all time, right behind myself, right right right, Yeah, exactly, the.
Speaker 1: Second greatest Yep. I mean so too, he's in the reference. Yeah, he's pretty good. He seems like he's pretty good. Yeah, so he and our best friends. By the way, well I've calculated that.
Speaker 4: On top of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, somebody like JB, it would it would be but yeah, cool to do some type of physical and psychoanalysis on him. I have a feeling that he is in the same tier of human as like an Alex Honold. You know Alex Honold is he's he's the free climber, He's the guy that climbs all the stuff. Put him in the same creak of nature. Yeah, Alex Hall. I've heard people say that that whatever chemical drops into a human's body when they should be experiencing fear, I mean, fear is the thing that's designed to protect us.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say that just maybe I don't know much about the guy you're describing, but just like my observation of JB, like, I wouldn't say that that he's just got completely absent of fear, because, I mean, we've seen it. We've ever We've all seen people at least get hurt very badly parted out of the arena, and it's happened to any if you've ever entered a rodeo, somebody right before you has gotten hurt so bad the ambulance had to come in and put at least once, and now you're about to get on there's you would have to be insane, like literally something mentally wrong with you to just to to.
Speaker 2: Not send some fear there to.
Speaker 4: Not at least logic think that that could potentially happen to you.
Speaker 3: But that's what courage is.
Speaker 4: It's not just like an absence of the fear, it's just how you respond to it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean he even said on my podcast he was relieved when they retired Bushwhacker, who you know, had been bucked off however many in a row.
Speaker 3: So Bushwhacker is a is a bucking bull, was.
Speaker 1: The greatest bucking bull of all time arguably, And JB's the only guy that ever wrote him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they say another guy wrote him when he was two or three?
Speaker 4: Was it you? I had no cameras on when I wrote him. There's a picture in the back of me riding him, and I'll show that to you. But regardless, JB. So there's a there's a moment in the PVR when you do you are able to pick your bull, and a lot of guys might pick a ball depending on their ability and this like this bull fits me whatever, Well, he would always just try to pick the rankers bull in the pen.
Speaker 3: And on my part, like he talks about, it's like, well, why do you do that?
Speaker 4: He said, because nobody remembers eighty five point bull rides, which is an interesting quote because yep, most bull riders be like, man, I'd love to have an average score of eighty five, but that's not what he's going for. Yeah, probably like your man, Alex, like he's not just trying to be average, you know, regardless, So he finally he picks bushwasher Bushwhacker again and again. He bucks him off again and again, which is only reciquential.
Speaker 1: For his career too, because I mean, this man's a professional bull rider trying to win money. Yeah, if this bull's bent is bucked off twelve of twelve of the last rides, it's like not not something he necessarily it would have been better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they weren't all right in a row, you know.
Speaker 4: But the point is is like this particular one, yes, yeah, the last previous whatever, I can't remember how many times you know, his the one out of thirteen, y road, it may not have been the thirteenth time he got on him. I don't remember that part, but regardless, my point is he does finally ride him. He's ninety four and a quarter and well, when the time comes for them to retire to the bulls, like, dang, were he sad? Like, no, I didn't have to keep picking that bastard, you know, is what he said. Well, the point is is like he understands that, you know, he's glad he finally slayed that dragon, but it's a it's a mutual respect that he has for the bull. I would say, that's a good way to put it. He respects those animals. He always knew that they could, you know, cause damage, but which to me is even more noble. You know, Yeah, somebody who's completely oblivious to what an animal can do. It's like, oh man, you may not be brave, you just don't understand what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how good is this? H is this new kid from Brazil?
Speaker 3: John Krimmer?
Speaker 2: I think so, yeah, yeah, I've seen.
Speaker 4: There's a bunch of them that he was actually born here. But yeah, so he spends time, he spends time at JB's.
Speaker 1: John the guy that just won something really big that my out of do you know what I'm talking?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, who won the world Jose did?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: I mean he's world cham Yeah, he's literally the best right now. Yeah, he's the best right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got the gold buckle on yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not as big as your buckle th Odell?
Speaker 3: Right, yes, thank you, Hey that argue, I did see it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is that the Boon and.
Speaker 1: Crockett official measure This is the twenty ninth recording period.
Speaker 4: So does that mean that you had the you had the biggest measured Boon and Crockett animal, or you were actually the measurer like you had the tape.
Speaker 2: I'm the measure mmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So that's like in a rodeo, like you're not the best bull rider, you're the best exactly.
Speaker 3: It would be like we don't give buckles to the judges.
Speaker 1: This is a good point, But the equation that I was trying to bring to your buckle is that they don't just give these buckles out.
Speaker 3: To everybody, right, yeah, same as mine or off eBay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Can't find them on craigslist.
Speaker 1: And if you have any big deer antlers or anything you like scored, I could do that for you.
Speaker 2: But that's another story.
Speaker 4: Deal.
Speaker 1: No, I'm fascinated by uh. I'm fascinated by by people that are the best in the world of anything, well, like you and JB. I'm also fascinated by guys that have to overcome like they're that what makes them good at what they do is overcoming fear, which is not everything. Like there's lots of stuff that you could be the best in the world and not have to confront this like very primitive fear of getting bucked and hurt by an animal.
Speaker 2: I think that's cool.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The other thing, when you're talking about like having friends getting hurt, like you know, lots of.
Speaker 2: People that have got hurt.
Speaker 1: Uh, and even people that have died, you know, rock climbers are like that.
Speaker 2: I'm not a rock climber. I know more about rodeo than I do rock climbing.
Speaker 1: And uh, but I was like, these these guys that are free climbing and stuff, like they're all in arms reach away in relationship to people that have have died, and I feel like there's some similarities in this kind of stuff, you know.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, I mean to be honest, the rock climbing thing, I would be as confused about when the outside are looking in. If I didn't have the context I had with Rodeo, then I would just say, like, man, that was the dumbest thing ever. But I know that they would probably think the same thing about somebody.
Speaker 1: I think there's similarities because I think it's people inside of their the context of their world, going to the extremes. I mean, like most people when they see a horse, they want the gentle one, right, that's the goal of training is to get on the gentle one. Rodeo picks the extreme. Let's find the rankest horse, the rankest bull, get on it and see if we can stay on it and vibe. You know, it's the extreme. And uh yeah, the rock climbing stuff is the same. It's like most of the time when people see a sheer rock granite face, they're like, we're going to go around that mountain. They're not, They're not wanting to go over it. But yeah, there's some there's some similarities there.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, for sure, there's yeah, And there's all kinds of of I mean even just football, you know, like for a running back to he's got you know, when he sees that seam, he's got to cut through it regardless of who's coming from what direction.
Speaker 3: With a wide receiver cutting across.
Speaker 4: The middle of the field, you know, if running a slant like he knows, he could get his clock cleaned. But there's that might be in that scenario, the route for the quickest touchdown. And so there's all kinds of professional athletes, typically in sports and that that you know, have this impending doom in front of them, but they move forward anyway. And and and it happens in life as well, you know, like you said, with finances. But it's interesting to me, like UFC fighters, like Cowboy, Yeah, we brought that up last night.
Speaker 3: Like Cowboy, I think that bull riding probably rock climb. I don't know about rock climbing, but I know they were.
Speaker 1: Brought rock climbing up one time on this podcast. Bull riding, you get the wrong idea about me.
Speaker 4: Bull riders and UFC or people that want to fight professionally, I think are probably very similar in that there's a lot of people that like to have ridden a bull. There's a lot of people that like the idea of being called a bull rider. Yeah, and what people will think of them when they get to tell that story or show that picture or show that video.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I think that's probably similar with fighting.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of people that would like to be revered as this bad a fighter, whether it be professionally or in the streets or whatever.
Speaker 3: They want to be feared, you know.
Speaker 4: And then you have these people like my buddy cowboy Seroni, who I mean, don't get me wrong, he might enjoy the fact that someone thinks he's a badass, but more importantly, he likes to actually fight. It's less about telling the story, which he does very little of, and it's more about no the moment to start the fight starts. I mean, he put it like if you walked into a gas station and there's two people maybe robbing the place, like it's literally a nightmare for anyone, But if he walked into that, it's a dream come true for him, Like if he now had like those are his words, he gets to fight two people, and that to him is the real fight. Is kind retired at forty eight professional bouts in the UFC, but he wants to get to a fifty, so he's coming back and he's gonna fight more fights forty two now, I think forty two, but My point is is, like I asked him, want to some people that love it? He loves the actual fight. Yeah, he's not just somebody who and I would I would venture to guess if you're in the UFC, you probably love the actual fight. They've probably made it that far. Same thing with guys at the NFR. They love the actual bull ride. They're not just trying to like get a cool picture for the GRAM so that everyone will think they're a bull rider.
Speaker 3: But that's that's what that's somebody who makes it.
Speaker 4: That's somebody like your man Alex, who probably made it is a really good rock climber. It's like, you love the actual thing. You know, no cameras, no audience, no crowd, no music. You want to be it's you against the bull, it's you against the Bronx.
Speaker 3: Open the gate. I want to try to conquer this.
Speaker 4: And that's that's Dale, and that's Dale, and that's you know, cowboy. It's just like, no nobody's watching me, and you go outside and we fight right now. You know.
Speaker 1: Here's here's what I like about rodeo and hunting that I think are similar in all the games of modern time that men play for recreation And I'm using the term recreation lightly because if you told me that I was a recreational hunter, I would be like, I don't think so, I don't.
Speaker 2: I think it's deeper than that.
Speaker 1: But let's just say of all the things that people do, like rodeo, hunting, mma, whatever, football, sports, golf, Like if all those things, I like that rodeo has a functionality that's connected to something real.
Speaker 3: Right, like ranching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's it's clear that rodeo came from correct true to boys people around cattle that were we were. That's cool because you really can't say that with football or baseball, and certainly.
Speaker 3: Not golf, Like why are we doing this? Well, exactly, we just kind of came up with it.
Speaker 4: You know golf do you I don't? Okay?
Speaker 1: Well, and then but then hunting is the same way. I mean, hunting is even.
Speaker 4: You know, more primitive.
Speaker 1: It's the reason we do function to it like hyper function. I mean, like this is something that humans have done since the beginning, and we're providing meat for our families, and.
Speaker 4: So it's og way to eat. Absolutely before uber eats, there was a bow and arrow.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, or an adelel dart or a spear something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, So I've always appreciated that about rodeo is that you could you could consciously connect where it came from, Like cowboys made up this sport.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, to be able to rope, to be able to.
Speaker 1: Ride a bronc, because you know, broncridin would have started with people trying to break horses to ride, you know, I mean, I think that's cool. I like to think about the foundations of stuff and where it came from, you know, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean that's I mean I kind of touched on it.
Speaker 4: But like in all my time in a practice pin with getting on bulls and broncs while they were practicing team rope, and I wish I'd have even paid more attention over there because it would have made me a better cowboy on the ranch.
Speaker 1: But anyway, do you think do you think that the modern surge and popularity of Western culture.
Speaker 3: Is because of me?
Speaker 4: It is because of you? Yes?
Speaker 1: Do you think Taylor Sheridan made Yellowstone because of you?
Speaker 3: Because he was watching my videos? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: I figured he did.
Speaker 3: Are you talking about? I mean, I was in Yellowstone. You don't even know that.
Speaker 4: Do you?
Speaker 2: Dang, are you serious?
Speaker 3: Yes? Season five?
Speaker 4: What you do?
Speaker 3: I was ranching?
Speaker 2: Did you have it like a talking part with Rip? Did you really miss part?
Speaker 3: But no, I didn't. I didn't have a talking part.
Speaker 1: But where you are?
Speaker 4: You are you?
Speaker 3: I was in it?
Speaker 1: Serious?
Speaker 3: You never know what I'm telling truth to you?
Speaker 2: I cannot tell.
Speaker 4: Look at me, Look at me.
Speaker 1: I'm come about to tell you something. I've killed fourteen boone crocket deer with my bow.
Speaker 4: Well you gotta you can't tell.
Speaker 1: You couldn't tell.
Speaker 2: I have only killed thirteen.
Speaker 3: Mmm.
Speaker 1: Why did any of my producers tell me that he had been on Yellowstone?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I actually heard a podcast, an old podcast with you on it where somebody called it out and said you should be on Yellowstone and then it happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the Jimmy goes down to the sixes to ranch and I was there.
Speaker 3: My buddy True was the.
Speaker 1: Wagon boss, and this is in the movie.
Speaker 3: I was there.
Speaker 4: Well, they we were actually working that day, and it's not like we didn't know the cameras were going to be there. But I'm just saying like we were actually weaning that pasture of calves, and they didn't just fabricate work it was. It was a real thing. And that's one thing Taylor was angling for the with the entire show was as much authenticity as possible while also maintaining the storyline. But regardless, we're there working, and so the film crew actually had no idea who I was. Taylor didn't know I was gonna be there. I mean, he knows that our day worked there sometimes and he owns the ranch and he and I have met a few times. But regardless, like the people filming, like, they didn't know Dale from Adam.
Speaker 3: So I was in it.
Speaker 4: And then later I saw Taylor and he was like, man, your fans loved that you were in Yellowstone and we were supposed to he said. He was like, we need to get you back and have give you a speaking part. But then the show kind of wrapped up a few seasons later and we just never made it happen. But no, I'm a big fan of Taylor's and what they do with the Sixes, and he you know, are you familiar with the Sixes? No, So it's a big ranch here in Texas. Okay, they talk about it in the show. Okay, probably I would say the most well known ranch in the country. It's somewhere between the Force and the King Ranch, which you're probably familiar with the King.
Speaker 3: They're they're hunting. They do a lot of hunting down there.
Speaker 4: Uh, and they also you know, it's I think it's the largest ranch at least in Texas, maybe the whole country. But regardless, the four sixes is well, Taylor bought it and that's why it's in the show a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, but they have they now sell beef straight to its interesting Yellowstone beef. I mean four six is beef. Four six is beef, which is well, do you do you think that? But it was just which first the craze in Western culture, and I mean, and I realized it's like long been in America.
Speaker 2: This is like an American thing.
Speaker 1: But am I right and saying there's been like a surge in the last decade appetite for Western I.
Speaker 4: Think the interest has always been there in like what sparked a nostalgia for you, like people the romance of like being a cowboy. Yeah, that's I mean, there's there's people that lived in the city watching Roy Rogers when they were a kid that wanted to be a cowboy. You know, like kids dressing up as cowboys for Halloween has been happening since Halloween was invented, and so like desire for people to be a cowboy has been there a long time. Chrystal Duo has a song you just can't see him from the road, and essentially what he's saying is like, cowboys exist, you just can't see us from the road when you're cutting across the country in your car to the next city. Well, in my experience, the Internet has now shown people what's out here, and so whenever they were a production company came to me about what kind of show we should make for Netflix.
Speaker 3: I had been making videos for years at.
Speaker 4: The time, and about twenty or thirty times a day I would get a message that either said how do I get started ranching?
Speaker 3: Or how do I get started rodeoing?
Speaker 4: And that's what my internship program was built on, those people that want to learn to rodeo, because I can help a guy get started riding bulls or bronks, and they're able to work for my apparel company alongside that, you know, while they're learning. Regardless, I get these dms all the time, how do I get started ranching? Because they don't know they're watching the Western movies. They're watching all this stuff just before even before Yellowstone. They're interested in it, but they don't know how to get started. They live in you know, they work on a chicken farm in Maryland. And anyways, so I told the production team. I was like, well, let's call it how to be a Cowboy? How to be a Cowboy, because like we'll just teach people because that's the question I get all the time. And so that's what our Netflix show was based on. With that in mind, Like I would have conversations with people because when I first started Rodeo and everybody talking about, man, this is a dying sport. This is like we got to save the you know, like this they're a dying breed, and like I disagree completely. Yeah, there is so much interest in our industry. Yeah, and I see because the moment I got Instagram and Facebook and people are able to message me, It's just like Rando's from all over the world are just like, man, do you take interns from Switzerland? Can I come over there from Europe? Can I whatever? Like it's just like people South Africa, like all kinds of like there's those two are Canadians right there, like all over the world people are interested in this genre.
Speaker 2: You've made it so accessible.
Speaker 4: And I think that shows like Yellowstone do they help absolutely, But there's a romance and a lure and just a nostalgia to what we do out here that people can't deny. Like there's just what we did today, Like you gathered cows with us, then we buck some horses. Like people don't get to do that. Yeah, Like that's not that's not a normal thing that a person sees every day. Like maybe they saw somebody walk a dog maybe, yeah, on their drive to work. Yeah, And uh.
Speaker 3: So I think that the future of our industry is growth.
Speaker 2: So my buddy Steve Ranella, he lives in bos of Montana.
Speaker 4: Never heard of her, and.
Speaker 1: So he he it's like the cowboy it's like the cowboy capital of you know, that part of the world. And uh and this question revolves around people that really aren't cowboys wanting to be cowboys and dressing and acting like cowboys. So he he believes that if you wear any type of Western booter, you've at least got to be live a livestock adjacent lifestyle. And so he kind of he kind of like, you know, like today. I didn't wear a cowboy hat on purpose when I rode with you, because it's like I didn't want to. I didn't want to be a poser.
Speaker 3: But somehow you still managed to appear as one.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, But I guess I guess. What I'm saying is people inside the cowboy industry love it when new people come in.
Speaker 4: Is that right for sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean when you see a guy walking down the road.
Speaker 4: Had you warn a cowboy hat today, it would not have made me man. Yeah, well I would like that. Now. I am the expert on all things cowboy, and that's why I've created a guide to whether you is or you ain't one, and I call it you ain't no cowboy? Yeah, And so like I am, I can't get very specific with you know. You know, if you ride a mule, you ain't no cowboy.
Speaker 3: If you you know, oh dang, you were on mule to day.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen, no, that was just you don't realize how congruent we are on our doctrine. Like, I'm not a cowboy. I'm a mule skinner, okay, And that's the reason I wear a I don't think I am either, That's right, that's right. That's the reason I felt hat like Daniel Boone did, like like God fear and men did.
Speaker 4: But seriously though, yeah, I now there is like it just depends on the context of a word. Like C. S.
Speaker 3: Lewis talks about the word a gentleman.
Speaker 4: Well, like when the word was first created, it meant that, I mean, I can't remember exactly, but it meant that you were of a certain age and you you might have owned property. And it was like a black and white list of like this is what made you a gentleman. But eventually the change language, it turned into a compliment and they're like, man, he's a gentleman. Well, no, he either is or he isn't. It's kind of like are you from Texas or are you from Arkansas? It's like you either are you aren't it's not. And it's like, man, he's a Texan. You see, like how you can use the word twice. It's like, are you from Texas or Arkansas? Okay, he's the Texan, he's the Arkansawian or whatever y'all call yourselves.
Speaker 3: But regardless, ar Kansas, ar Kansas.
Speaker 4: It's even worse, we say, but Akron, Akron regardless, the same thing has happened with the word cowboy, So like, I gotcha, you see.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying, Like people mean something different probably than people.
Speaker 4: Well, it just depends on what context you're using it.
Speaker 3: Is he a cowboy? Well, I don't know. Is how does he make his living?
Speaker 4: Well, he's he's a CPA and he goes to well, okay, for sake of conversation, if you're asking what his trade is, No, he's not a cowboy. Yeah, but is it ok for him to you know, wear a cowboy hat and boots and go to the Fort Worth Stockyards on the weekend to watch a rodeo? Absolutely? Yea. Is it okay for him to want to be a cowboy? Absolutely? Does that mean you.
Speaker 3: Know, I just he can if he calls himself a cowboy.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna you know, gotcha tells me this is kind of like it just depends on.
Speaker 3: How you use the words.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm not offended if that same person who's a CPA in Fort Worth wants to come out here and learn to ride a horse, like that's absolutely great.
Speaker 3: It just depends on in what context you're asking the question.
Speaker 1: Like I think I'm hyper sensitive just based on my upbringing of being being a phony like hyper sensitive. Yeah, like to the point that I'll push the push it the other way.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't want to come.
Speaker 1: I don't and I mean I think they would go right back to my dad, my upbringing of just trying to be who you were, and.
Speaker 4: I've got I've got friends in my head, in my head that like are just top hands.
Speaker 3: Okay, well are they more cowboy than me?
Speaker 4: All right? Well, now we're using the word differently than just by black and white definition, Yeah, because it's like do you make your living with a horse and a rope and cows? And then beyond that, like, okay, how much of a cowboy are are?
Speaker 3: Are they than this person?
Speaker 4: All right? Well, now it's more of just like the way the word gentleman has been turned around.
Speaker 1: I really do need a good straw hat. I've got a straw hat. It's old.
Speaker 4: I need.
Speaker 2: I know, it's junior time straw hat.
Speaker 3: It's June in Texas to switch.
Speaker 2: From felt to straw, but it's also it.
Speaker 3: Was sixty seven degrees I had on a vest.
Speaker 4: It's June fourth. That's crazy crazy for Texas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no doubt so do you do much hunting, dew.
Speaker 3: I love to hunt. Yeah, I don't get to do as much as I used to.
Speaker 4: Always. I mean, like we just hunt pigs a lot down here, Like since I was a kid. We probably couldn't go to a party in high school on a weeknight, school night, but we could stay out as late as we want if we were hunting pigs. I don't know, like we would just forget it was got light and just sorry, dad, I can't get in until one thirty. It's like we're killing but we.
Speaker 3: Got seven pigs or something like that, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: That was in a little bit of deer hunting growing up, and then more as I got older. And now every year I go on an archery l hunt. Okay, I whish I gotta specify archery because if you don't shooting elk with a bow, then you ain't no cowboy. Yeah. And then I'll also go noodling with my ex girlfriend, ex Hannah Buron. Yeah, we've worked it out and she guides a noodle trip for me every year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Donnie and I.
Speaker 1: Go right right, Okay, what's up. I'm gonna steer away from that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of drama.
Speaker 4: Don't worry, it's implicated.
Speaker 2: It's huge drama.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see you where in that well, me and her dad are still like muddy water best friends, and so you know, don't throw the baby out with the bath water, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: I hear you, Man, I actually don't know what that saying means. So everybody says it. I don't understand it. Understand well, I understand the baby got the bath last and now the bath water's dirty, but I just don't get the scenario of like how it connects to where the anyway.
Speaker 3: But we can move on.
Speaker 1: We'll talk after noodling. I explain country.
Speaker 4: Those are my two main trips. What's up?
Speaker 1: What would be like a top shelf hunt? And let me ask you this, do you think that you've had have had enough exposure to hunting that you would really be able to know exactly what you like to do? Uh? It'd kind of be like me being exposed to rodeo and saying, Clay, what would you like to do?
Speaker 4: And I'd be like, man, I.
Speaker 1: Guess I'd like the bull ride because that's just seen flashy, like elk hunting is like the bull riding of the hunting because there's nuance. There's like, for sure squirrel hunting on mules. Man, it's like top shelf. I mean, I've done a lot of cool stuff and there's some like little bitty kind of little crevices in the hunting space.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like fun Cowboy found ourselves out in Utah between two sponsor events and we were just sitting around and these guys wanted to go caut and I wound up in a pick up with some guys coyte hunting at two in the morning, and I'd rather eat glass, Like I was so like I wanted to go to like I don't care about those coyotes and they're falling and I'm like I want to take me a little melotonin and go to sleep right now. And so there's certain trips where like I guess I do know like yes and no, I don't want to do this or that kind of how I feel about like helicopter hog hunts, Like yeah, depending on who the pilot is, Like there's a it's just like I don't know, like if they've like fought in war, you're all in. Like I was like, all right, I'm I get a helicopter with you, but the steaks aren't. It's just like to do what kill some hogs? Like, I don't know, let's ride around in a canyon plug. But there's also like I probably I don't know that i'd go on a rifle elk hunt. I don't know that I'd really like to get a super nice, uh white tail one day. Yeah, that'd be cool. Ye, moose hunts intrigued me, that'd be cool. I would do a I would do a white tail or a moose with a rifle. Okay, that doesn't bust me.
Speaker 1: Listen, I potentially have access to some incredible moose hunting, not every year, about one year out of every maybe five.
Speaker 3: We keep our word around, right Garrett.
Speaker 1: Maybe, so, dude, you need to come with me to Alaska on a ridge hunt.
Speaker 4: Oh in Alaska, I was thinking more like a canned hunt. Well, do you have like some high fence moose somewhere?
Speaker 2: There's high fence moose in Texas?
Speaker 1: Okay? Good?
Speaker 4: Where are those at all? Over Texas? But oh, I bet you're people with hate that I just said that.
Speaker 1: Oh that's like, that's like, what would that be equivalent to in the rodeo world?
Speaker 2: A high fence it's it's there somewhere.
Speaker 3: But I don't it doesn't bother me.
Speaker 1: We could talk about high fence. We could do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'm joking.
Speaker 4: I would if I was gonna hunt a moose, I would like to go to I'd rather do it.
Speaker 2: I mean, you don't have to do it with me.
Speaker 3: But sidebar, I don't care if it's a high fence.
Speaker 4: Like once you get over so many acres, hunting is hunting this summer and then somebody's just trying to like control some genetics. More power to them personally, but.
Speaker 2: It's just spoken like a true text.
Speaker 3: Del Brisbee hot take like a true Texan.
Speaker 1: What about Barry? Have you ever thought about bear?
Speaker 4: Maybe? Maybe?
Speaker 3: Yeah, with a knife.
Speaker 1: Whatever man man, Yeah, well cool, that's cool. What uh you are? I probably didn't really introduce you that well at the beginning of this gonna start over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just x that.
Speaker 2: Let's just do the skin all.
Speaker 3: Right, one more time from the top people.
Speaker 1: Nodll You're. What I've always appreciated about you, I said that I've been watching you for a long time, is.
Speaker 2: That you're really good at being.
Speaker 1: Authentic inside of your space, like you're you're you're you're real cowboy, but you are.
Speaker 4: You're an incredible.
Speaker 1: Marketer, which that that could be like a slap in the face, Like that's like saying you're a good used car salesman.
Speaker 2: That's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Now, you're really good.
Speaker 1: This is coming around to be something nice to say where we're here we go is that you're incredible.
Speaker 3: About the high fence comment.
Speaker 4: You're incredible about.
Speaker 1: You're good at these catchphrases, all these phrases and things that you say.
Speaker 4: It's just put all the shirt balls out of my mouth, like I just can't help it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so give me, give us a tour, because they're gonna be some people here that you know, have not been exposed. Probably very few, but I would say the most common one that get is old son. Now, did you make that?
Speaker 4: No? You didn't this I did? No, you didn't.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's well just pressing you. Sometimes stuff needs scrutiny. I believe you. I just wondered if you actually did Oh, old son, old son? Now, I mean, did you not hear your grandpa say that or something? Oh daddy said it to your dad? Daddy, I'm talking about me. No, I'm daddy, Okay, I'm referring myself in the third person. I love it. That was the first.
Speaker 4: I mean, I knew that.
Speaker 1: That was so good. You don't believe me, No, No, I do, I truly do. Sometimes I tell people this. I tell my kids this, I tell my wife this. Sometimes my lovely one you call her old son. No, I tell them sometimes the truth deserves a high level of scrutiny. So that's why I was just like, you didn't make that up, and you act you know, and I was like, no, you didn't know, you didn't know, you didn't. And then when you said you did, I could see through those glasses and I knew you can tell me the truth.
Speaker 4: Yeahs like when you lean your chair back and you don't know you're right to the point where you think it might be gonna fall over, but it doesn't. Yeah, that's me I got you. Is what he's saying a joke or is he being serious? Yeah? That's where I like to live. Yeah, I like for you to live. Well.
Speaker 1: No, probably the first time I heard you say old son, I started saying it like to people like get caught on.
Speaker 3: Like a sea syn desist hasn't showed up at your door.
Speaker 4: It's on its way.
Speaker 1: I mean I think I think it's a compliment that like seven years ago, I.
Speaker 2: Was saying old son, you know, occasionally.
Speaker 3: Was not surprised.
Speaker 4: Compliment.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, so old son. What what would be like the ranking order of Dell Brisbee saying.
Speaker 3: Yep, after that, I mean, like rodeo time, it's rodeo time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's rodeo time, rodeo time. Down the road, then you ain't no cowboy, okay, just ranching, just like to moderate ranching, heavy ranching. Those are just the different levels kind of like the the how we were talking about Cowboy yep, you know we kind of you know, a little emphasis on the ranching. Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are some of the Well there's more.
Speaker 4: Riding bulls and.
Speaker 1: Punching chi bools, right, that's it. Yep, that's what I've already ridden my bull today. So watch out. And then you say keep it ninety, keeping it ninety, keeping it ninety, yep, when would you say keeping it ninety?
Speaker 4: He's a fan. I've forgotten about some of the things. I mean, just that's what that's what that's what I do. I just keep it ninety.
Speaker 1: I mean, so like, let's Let's say me and you're riding down the road, something happened, give me that hypothetical.
Speaker 4: Okay, just like, yeah, how you being Dale?
Speaker 1: Keeping it nine, keeping it ninety, and I would know what would I know about you from you saying that You'd be like, I'd be like, dang, Dale's been busy, you know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dale's been busy being the best.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, so keeping it ninety.
Speaker 1: You ain't no cow boy old son, just bulls punching fools.
Speaker 3: Light to moderate ranching, heavy ranching, Rodeo Time.
Speaker 4: Rodeo Time.
Speaker 2: What's some of the other ones? Guys, there's some people out here.
Speaker 1: Your yeah, your mom's favorite bull rider that on a T shirt.
Speaker 4: Your mom's favorite bull rider. Yeah, I mean we've got all kinds. Yeah, we could walk through out here. I could show the audience my parel line. Yeah mm hmmm. Oh yeah, that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would yeah, yeah, for great.
Speaker 4: For this next twenty minutes, we're gonna walk around with these cameras. I'm gonna show you some of my things that are available to you on Rodeo time dot com.
Speaker 1: That's right, plug, that's right, that's right. Well, that's cool. You got any big trips planned, Like, can you talk about any of this stuff that you got coming up?
Speaker 4: Like with uh going to California Friday for a movie. I think I'm gonna to play an announcer at a NASCAR event for real? For real? And what movie?
Speaker 2: Can you talk about it?
Speaker 4: I don't remember. I could talk about it if I remembered. But I know that you could talk about it. You just don't remember, correct, I know? I know I fly out charge. It's it's literally all been set up through the d MS. I don't even have the guy's phone number. I know his name is Ben something, and I'm gonna fly to Sacramento.
Speaker 1: Somebody was just like, hey, Dale, will you come here at this time? Give me your credit card number? You put you in a movie.
Speaker 3: No, he doesn't need my credit card.
Speaker 1: But he asked you for it. You should not give it to him. Okay, this could be a scam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it is. So you're gonna be in a movie. He's got the blue check mark.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah, okay, yeah, And then I'll come back here. I'll be here for one day. We'll probably film some here on Monday. Then Tuesday morning I'll go to Cowboys. Sarrony's will do some jiu jitsu with some veterans, and then we will Discovery Channel is doing some like a show for shooting some guns and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is good. Yeah, they're coming back around so yeah, I.
Speaker 1: New Adminiss some big stuff coming up.
Speaker 4: And then I'll do my trip to go see Hannah and we'll do some Nodland.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's in June.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because this you know, around July they'll those catfish lay eggs and then come into the boxes to protect them. Yeah, and so July is kind of slow. I got a can Am deal in August. But we're filming for my YouTube channel all the time. All the time. You know, I really don't like taking these trips. I like, do you travel a lot too much? But I sometimes like opportunities come up, you know, like a movie and Discovery Channel.
Speaker 3: You kind of just gotta go. But I like doing what we did today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just ranching Vale.
Speaker 3: Well the ranching side of it. But I like making the video.
Speaker 4: I like making Rodeo Time episodes podcasts here in Winnebago. That's what I like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's cool, that's cool. Yeah, hunts this fall you're going in September elk.
Speaker 4: Hunting to Bear Mountain and Kremlin where that is tright south of Steamboat, like stones throw from Steamboat, rabbit ears pass and.
Speaker 2: I mean, don't tell me where you're going hunting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean really it's a guided hunt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so like that's another thing that people throw rocks at where it's just like I don't care, like I don't.
Speaker 3: I am the world's greatest bull rider. I don't have time to.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, I've been on two elk hunts, so yes, I'm gonna let somebody guide me on a hunt.
Speaker 1: You know what I just found it a it's not a high. I found an equivalent back. I found an equivalent to what you just said. Because yeah, in the hunting industry, like if I now, I've gone on plenty of guided hunts, like a lot of guided hunts. But if that's like all I did, it would be like, oh, well, Clay successful because he goes on guided hunts.
Speaker 3: And when you didn't want to realize, people like threw rocks at that.
Speaker 1: Listen, I've got a great connection back to your world that you're gonna you don't love, So people would throw rocks at that because you know, like on the inside, like in the inside of hunting, to be able to do it yourself, you know, means something, and it means you're authentic and you you don't need a guide and all this stuff, which I get it, and I would prefer not to have a guide, and most of the time I don't.
Speaker 2: When Clay Nukeomb puts.
Speaker 1: A ferrier video on his Instagram and I am a I don't know nothing about trimming my mule feet. Yeah, I've been doing it for nine years. I had one ferrier that came to my house and showed me how to do it, and I realized that I was going to have to hire this guy every six to eight weeks to come and put shoes on my mules.
Speaker 4: You only trim your mules feet every sixty eight weeks.
Speaker 3: That's over a.
Speaker 1: Year to eight, six to eight, six to eight, okay, well just say that, okay six to eight weeks. And I was like, this isn't gonna work for Clay. So I started doing it myself. And my mule's never gone lame and I can trim mule feed. I put little videos up in Man, there's two groups of people in life that are, they're wonderful people.
Speaker 4: Instagram commenters and Facebook Will Graham is positive and Facebook will grill your ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, Well ferriers and beekeepers are the most opinionated people in the world.
Speaker 2: But that connects back to your hunting thing.
Speaker 1: But you don't care about what people say about being guided what I say to somebody that gives me an incredible amount of input about how I'm doing it wrong about being a ferrier? Is there like, hey, Clay, you're using the wrong hoof tool. You know that you should do this, you should do this, And I just don't care correct like it just what I do kind of works for me. I realize it's unconventional. I realize it's probably not the best, but my brain only has enough space to be really good at so many things. Trim and mule feet is one that I'm like, Man, if I can just get by.
Speaker 4: All, probably one thousand percent, that's it. Like I have no desire to be so much. I am not Cameron Haynes. I have ran with the man and he's who he is the reason I l hunt one hundred percent. I was a fan of his and then I went up there. He gifted me a bow and that's what got me started. And then my relationship with Mountainnops a sponsor. They they gifted me a hunt and so if it wasn't for Cam and Mountainnops, I wouldn't be going on that. Now. I love it and I appreciate it. But I am a cowboy and a rodeo cowboy. That's what I'm most passionate about. And I would and I've heard people throw rocks at guys like myself, who yes, I qualify, I would technically be an influencer, and.
Speaker 3: Yes I'm gonna go bow hunting.
Speaker 4: And now I take a picture with a bull that I got on a guided hunt, and they'd throw rocks at it. But like, rewind the tape. I just said I was okay with something with a CPA out of Fort Worth coming here to ride horses and put on a cowboy hat, like it's good for the industry. You know who cares, Like just get off of everybody's back, and it's like, let somebody just experience it. It's kind of how I feel about the High Fends conversation too. But regardless, whatever my point is, I just think that, like what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Speaker 3: And I didn't even realize like that was the thing, but.
Speaker 4: I get the mystique of it, and does is that CPA as good a hand as my best friend Dusty Berson, who manages the Four Sixes.
Speaker 3: No, he's not.
Speaker 4: And the only disrespect would probably come in, or not even disrespect, but just the only annoyance I would have is if the CPA acted like he was a better cowboy then my friends exactly.
Speaker 3: But you know, then it's just like, oh, you're oblivious. Same thing with me. I'm not going to act like bet.
Speaker 1: And you never seen nobody, nobody ever said that.
Speaker 3: But then I would be the deal brisbee.
Speaker 2: That's the exact same thing when.
Speaker 4: That would be the joke, and that's why you should laugh at it. But that's not I mean, anybody who would act I don't know. It's just pretty should be common sense to me.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's why when I dabble into the equine world, which I'm not an expert, that's I get quite a bit of fire from it. And there's a lot of people who are like, oh, that's so cool, man, but uh, it's that's all just it's.
Speaker 4: People's pride man, and they're passionate about this one thing. And yeah there it's just like, hey, you know, you stay in your I don't know, just be happy for people. Yeah, be happy for people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Some people are just like just completely bitter and poor souls.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's people's pride. Are you a believer?
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: We haven't really talked about faith, but I've gotten that sense about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like but like a like a Christian believer in the Christian like the Bible.
Speaker 2: Christ I actually don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever said this on on my podcast before, but I'm actually the I've been the associate elder at our church for twenty years.
Speaker 4: What Baptists.
Speaker 2: No, we're a non denominational church.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, But but Bible believing, okay, Christian like.
Speaker 3: The Holy Bible, the one with sixty six books in it. That one okay, cool with me too, that one gotcha?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, So it's a massive part of my life.
Speaker 4: All right. Good. Yeah. We almost talked about it last night and I was like, oh, I think he might be My Christian radar was going off.
Speaker 3: Anyways, it was going off regardless.
Speaker 4: Good. I think I don't know how that connects to the comments people make on social media, but.
Speaker 1: Some of them are good, well meaning, Like I just put up a fair deal just a few days ago. I was just trimming my mules hoofs and just put it up and somebody wrote me a very detailed comment about everything, and he was nice. I mean, the guy genuinely was trying to help me. He was like, he was kind of like, hey, Clay, you're kind of looking like a goober. Let me help you not be a goober. And it was meaningful what he said, but I kind of I don't. I was just kind of like, well, I kind of just do what I do and it works for me. I'm kind of okay with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's it's on the other hand too, It's just.
Speaker 4: Like at this point twenty twenty five, we can't really put out con tent and just be completely surprised. Yeah, someone does that, you know what I mean, somebody's gonna comment like that. So uh yeah, it's two sides to the coin, you know. Okay.
Speaker 1: I feel like, well I got you here in front of the table. We've got to dissect a little bit of about what what happened. Today with me on the meal while you were picking up. Oh yeah, I want to bury the lead a little bit, if you know what I'm saying. Wink the wink. Let's talk about the situation that led to me having a little bit of a limp today.
Speaker 3: Um yeah, so you were we were picking up and tell.
Speaker 2: People what that means. I don't think people know.
Speaker 4: So bucking horse rider rides his bron or bucks off. Regardless, two pick up men in the arena that are on gentle horses need to ride in alongside this bucking horse and either help that rider get off of the horse or we need to take the flank off of him, because that's what he's kicking at.
Speaker 3: Typically, it's not making.
Speaker 1: Him bucks got like a belt or belt around it exactly.
Speaker 4: It doesn't go around there. It doesn't go around there jelly beans. All the horses today were either mares or geldings. None of them even have jelly beans, So it'd have been impossible for us to tide around there like people think in the boor riding. It's just not the case. Regardless that flank gives them something to kick at, It just it makes the way in which they buck more consistent, which means that it's going to be safer for them and the rider if they but they're animals that want to buck. We can't make them buck. They have to want to. But it doesn't cause pain regardless whatever. That's what that's the flank strap. Yeah, so the responsibility of the pickup man is to help the rider get off safely and then take that flank off in the arena.
Speaker 3: So you for for you being on a mule number one, we don't know how she's gonna take it.
Speaker 4: Number two. You know, you've never done this before, so horse and rider. Mule and rider are both pretty inexperienced. So I wasn't going to ask you to help the rider get off. I didn't know how she would take an other, you know, riding double jumping horse on her. My goal was to help you get the flank off. And so the last horse, which is kind of the more sweetheart pup of the group, I wanted you to come in alongside, and I was like, the only thing is you can't end up behind them. They'll kick you. And you said, this horse, his name is the Baptist. The Baptist his given name was hang him High from Pete Carr. He went to the NFR back in like two thousand and eight, long time ago. He's an old horse.
Speaker 3: And regardless he uh.
Speaker 4: You said kick me in the head, and I said no, and I put my hand in the middle of your thigh and I put anywhere from here down is probably because this horse doesn't kick that high. And so I got the horse, grabbed a hold of him, and he's kind of turning in a circle, and we come riders. The rider's been the rider.
Speaker 3: The riders off the horse.
Speaker 4: I was essentially wanting you to come in alongside that horse and trip that flank.
Speaker 1: So lean off of my mule and grab the latch of the belt basically yeah, and flip this belt off.
Speaker 4: And uh, it was a little too much, too fast, And I thought you might have been able to heed my instruction a little better than you did. And anyhow, this horse kicked you. The bucking horse kicked you.
Speaker 1: Did you see it?
Speaker 4: I heard it, yeah, And I felt like I thought it was just mainly kicked kind of your saddle and your saddle blanket. Yeah, didn't kick very hard for compared to how hard they're able to kick, but got the meaty part of your calf, thankfully.
Speaker 3: And not your shin bone. Yeah, yeah, and you doesn't mean does it hurt?
Speaker 1: Now, I took I took a couple of the leaves. I really think that helped. Yeah, but it does it does hurt? Yeah, but no, it was It was so funny because I was I was gonna. I had been following you guys around on my mule, Betty Bay and and kind of just just being there while two of y'all were picking up you know, and so I had done that, I guess three times already. And so Betty was pretty used to that. Okay, there's gonna be a bucking horse come out of that shoot act crazy, We're going to go towards it. And she she did great at that. But when you told me to get the flank strap off of that horse, that meant you got to get in super close to this horse that's been bucking, that's been wild, but you told me don't get behind it. But what is difficult about it is that he was turning you. It's not like the horse has stopped and you got to ride into the side of it. I mean you're spinning circles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was kind of he was kind of turning in a circle.
Speaker 1: You're spinning circles. And so I come up close and I'm, I'm I'm probably four feet but right from the rump of the mule and I and you know, I'm in a tricky situation, and so do I and I spur old Betty.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm I'm like, dang, we got to get up. And she she proceeded to move at my queue. But that but the angle, I was like, it was like a race car going along the outer track and and the guy on the inner lane is turning and I couldn't get in front of him quick enough and I mean, just what just she just she just let out a sideways kick, probably about half throttle. But it I mean, if you've never been kicked by a horse or mule, it's a unique feeling.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just like, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I immediately and she didn't, you know, hit me just right in the side of the calf and h For about a split second, I thought I'm gonna be bad, hurt, Like you know, you just think and and there's that adrenaline that floods you and you think I'm shielding.
Speaker 2: Really what's about? You know, That's what was going through my mind.
Speaker 1: I was like, crap, I'm gonna be But it ended up just being a big old Yeah.
Speaker 4: You never know, like sometimes like you can get kicked like that and you think it's the end of the world. For sure, it's broke, this, that and the other, and then it ends up being the next morning you can't even feel it. And then sometimes the opposite is true, like right, you don't even realize how bad hurt it is, and two days later you're like, something ain't right. Yeah, but that's it's crazy in the arena, like it's it's one or the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I truly think it's it's okay, but it was my fault.
Speaker 2: You told me exactly what not to do and I did that.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I mean it's your first time. It's hard that mules kind of looking out for herself. She doesn't, you know, she's a little nervous to it. Yeah, it's her first time. I mean with work, I'm sure she would get good at it and realized that like she could do it, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but well it was it was it was so much fun.
Speaker 3: Gathering the cows and working the gate.
Speaker 4: You did great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that and that that was a lot of fun. Yeah, that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it went well, it went for sure.
Speaker 4: Man, I don't know if if I don't know.
Speaker 1: If we can if we can shift this this far of a turn. Uh and get kind of serious. If you're willing to talk to me about it.
Speaker 3: We'll see about your dad. Oh yeah, no, I don't mind talking about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we kind of started talking about it earlier.
Speaker 4: He definitely isn't going to object.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I somebody.
Speaker 4: Because he's dead.
Speaker 1: I guess we are comfortable with this, all right, roll the tap boys. I was comfortable with talking about his dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah. What's he gonna do about it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, no, no, no, I have been a partaker of Dell Brisbee content, but it was just recently that I heard the story of your dad. Yes, sir passing away in the arena? Yeah, and uh will you will you tell me that story?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So we were uh Helotis every year is the first weekend in May, and uh, you usually switched to a straw about that time, and we would always stop in at Catalina Hatters and Brian and get a new straw hat and on our way to he Lotis and I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm just kind of telling the story now, I don't. I'm not trying to plug this random hat store.
Speaker 4: But they we then we'd go to Lotus and just every every spring it is just and either riding or working there, one of the two. Like I've ridden all three events there. I fought bulls there and my dad would always pick up there.
Speaker 3: And so i'd go with him and we'd always go.
Speaker 4: And my aunt and uncle lived in Bulverdi, not far and but I had that year I was fighting bulls for Sammy Andrews and.
Speaker 3: So I had like ten of his rodeos that year.
Speaker 4: Well, one of them was an Amy rodeo in Paris, and so Wednesday before both of our rodeos got started on Thursday, and he was talking about just picking up and like how you know it doesn't really pay a lot and and you know he could probably make more, he'd be money ahead if he stayed at the house. And we were just back and forth, and he, uh, he made a comment something like staying at that and I said, well, I'd never ask you to quit. And I shook his hand and I can I can feel his hand in my hand right now.
Speaker 3: You know, better than I can see his face.
Speaker 4: And I was driving a little bitty car and he was loading up his you know pick up horses. That one right there was one of them, and it was it's out at the house still and yeah, so it kind of helped said goodbye to each other, each going to our rodeos. And I shook his.
Speaker 3: Hand and I drove down the road. I was going to stop and see my brother.
Speaker 4: He was building a saddle at a saddle maker's house, like fifteen miles away. But when I left there, it was the hardest I'd ever cried up until that point. When I left there, I just knew it was me the last time I saw my dad.
Speaker 2: I heard you say that, how do you How did you know?
Speaker 4: I don't know, to be honest, like I think God, Like just years before, I just felt like I'm going to lose my dad early. But it was never as strong as it was on May one of twenty thirteen. And I thank God for that, because the year leading up to it, I would record him sometimes like I would just I took notes when he talked about cows, like I just I soaked up every moment I could. He had a really genuine I believed I was going to lose my dad early, and I acted on it, and it's share that with him. No, I'm sure he saw me. He definitely recognized me acting on it. Yeah, But I'd always been close to my dad anyway. I was never one of a son to just say that, I mean, like to think that his parent didn't know anything.
Speaker 3: My dad knew he was. He was a brilliant man, and I treated him like that.
Speaker 1: And that's my advice to young people is to just even if they maybe don't know that.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's just no point in treating him like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I wanted to be around him.
Speaker 1: I wanted to be It's it's interesting you talking about the relationship with your father, because I mean a lot of people don't.
Speaker 4: Have great relationships with them.
Speaker 1: Either there's a massive conflict or there's there's an absence just to kind of an absence of relationship, and the you know, the spectrum is all the way in between, you know. And it's really interesting to me to hear you say that you you suspected this, because I mean, I think God does that kind of stuff for us all the time, if we're paying attention.
Speaker 3: I think so too.
Speaker 4: I've tried to replicate it with all types of relationships I have. There's it's crazy, like I I genuinely often treat it's not every day all the time, but like it's like family members and like some certain people, it's just like I will talk to them as if it is going to be the last conversation I have, you know, and eventually it will be.
Speaker 1: And that's real to you because.
Speaker 4: Of because it haven't. And I don't know why, but I'm thankful for it though that God did.
Speaker 3: But so I don't know. I just that's the hardest. I crying And.
Speaker 4: What were you?
Speaker 1: What were I can't leave the spot? What were you thinking about when you cried that day him dying?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you think it was gonna happen that day?
Speaker 4: I didn't know?
Speaker 1: You just it just it just like overwhelmed me.
Speaker 4: I had I had shook my dad's hand and felt that and maybe even I can't remember a specific instance, but cried before like I had thought I had kind of had. That was the strongest it was ever it had ever been, undeniably like I would remember crying this hard. Yeah, because I got to that spot where my brother was and I had to sit in the car because I didn't want to be embarrassed because my face was just beat red. Wow. Wow, it was just that over.
Speaker 1: What did let me ask you this? What did what did you do with that? With that feeling? I mean, did you did you pray?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Looking back, I wished I had gotten the pick up with him and gone to the rodeo and told Sammy, I can't make it to Paris. You know, there's no part of me that would like no show a gig where I told somebody i'd be there. Bullfighter, Yeah yeah, But I mean today when I in the in the instances where I've gotten close to feeling that I will cancel a trip, and I have like you know that, like since there's been times where like I'll change, I don't know, like it's I don't know, like I'm going to change the future. Whatever. It's weird. I know it's not it's not normal. I'm not trying to be whatever. I do know some of this stuff I haven't ever even said out loud, But regardless, I know what I felt that day, and damned if. Twenty four hours later, I'm standing in the arena at Paris, Texas, putting a neck rope on a horse. And somebody asked me about Jacobs Crawley, who's one of my best friends. He's a bron rider and he was in Helotis with my dad. Uh Like, we'd been roommates in college. We would practice together, went to some rodeos together. And so this judge in Paris, Texas is asking me like.
Speaker 3: How's the how's jacobsen Stertling doing. I was like, well, this and that, and I had my phone in my pocket.
Speaker 4: I got face paint on my baggies because I'm gonna fight this rodeo.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, there's the redhead.
Speaker 4: Now let's see what he's you know, got, you know, because I knew that guy's horses, so I thought maybe he was calling to ask got a horse. And he was like, dude, your dad is on the ground. And so they had just started their rodeo, the baar back riding, and he's the pickup man and he picks this guy up and then just like goes down with him. Apparently wow. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so but he had his hat pulled down, you know, like this, and.
Speaker 4: Uh he he so he's he's wearing it and it hits the ground and anyways, I have the hat and it's got a mud stain on it. So when we recreated that picture, same horse, same saddle, same hat, that's what that's anyway, That's that's when Drew painted that for me. But yeah, so yeah, he called me and and so like I just look over at Sammy and I said, I gotta go, and I walk out the Auto eight and drive down to San Antonio.
Speaker 2: How far was that?
Speaker 3: Probably five hours? Six hours made y'all.
Speaker 2: Were long ways apart? Yeah, I mean, and it was a.
Speaker 4: Heart attack, correct, Yeah, yeah, Doc says he was dead before he hit the ground, but you know, they work on him and uh, Cindy Motcomber rides in the ambulance with him to the hospital. But then, I don't know why. My dad had said he wanted to. He's like, man, I feel like I'm supposed to do something great, and uh anyway, uh so he said that like a couple of weeks before, and he had said it one other time and I was just like, yeah, I don't I don't know what it is. And he was like, I don't know what it is either. I don't know the fuck I'm supposed to do something.
Speaker 1: He said that to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like like casually, like he wasn't trying to be anything.
Speaker 3: He was just like, I don't know because he was managing this ranch.
Speaker 4: Nol And Gas Company owned it, and it was like the easiest job he had ever had. Rewind seven years later, like seven years earlier, my mom had left. He my mom had left, and he just was like, anybody is just like gonna move on, yeah, Texas, Like if you get if you don't show up sign the divorce papers, you're still divorced.
Speaker 3: Well like he didn't sign them anyways.
Speaker 4: Whatever. Two years goes by and he's just like what God brought together, Let no man separate, and he just like sits and he fasts and he prays. And I just watched this man have faith that his wife is going to come back when there's just no wipe. Why would she come back? Like nobody ever, his parents, everybody, it's like, you got to move on, you know.
Speaker 3: His kids didn't tell him that, but he doesn't. And two years doesn't seem like a long time.
Speaker 4: But when it's a year and eleven months in and you don't know it's going to be two years, it feels like a long ass time. You know, well, yeah, dang if she didn't come back, and you know they always come back, turns out, but most of the time, wow. And he was just there waiting and uh, that's honorable. So the last seven years of his life is the best seven years of his marriage. He's got this awesome job managing this ranch, this oil and gas company owns and they don't even care about the ranch. They show up once a month, and he's just he had had MS and so he had this which it was it went into remission. And so these seven years, his son's working for him like we buck horses once a week on the It's just it was heaven for seven years. And he was starting to get a little comfortable. But he was like, I got her. I feel like I'm meant to accomplish something great. And that was ringing in my head on this drive to San Antonio, and I'm just like in denial that he died. I was like, no, this is going to be some story where like they revive him at the hospital, you know, so they're trying to they tell you that he had a heart attack. No, they told me I had a heart attack. And then like on the drive, my aunt calls me and she's like, yeah, he and I was like, no, this is there's something because he said even though the day before, U's the hardest I'd ever cried, you know what I'm saying, like, I've just got this. I knew it was gonna happen, but I didn't believe it happened.
Speaker 1: Ye And.
Speaker 4: Well, anyways, he did actually die, turns out, and so I was just kind of left, like I knew it was gonna happen, but like, what was that feeling where he said he was supposed to come for something great? And I think looking back now it's been you know, eleven years, twelve years, twelve years and a month that he's died. I run into guys that knew him like before I was born. I run into guys that he taught, you know, how to ride or whatever, and it's just like this legacy that he left behind. He had already done the great thing there was just now God blessed him with this death. His exit at fifty five as a you know, rodeo cowboy, and everybody's like, well, he died doing what he loved, and that's true, you know, but it's almost like he had he lived this life, and I'm not trying to make something better than it was.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to misremember something. I just think he was a great man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and God put this like he's like, all right, I'm gonna take you before you mess it up. And the impact that it's had, I think there were a lot of people didn't really realize how great of a man he was.
Speaker 3: It was simple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, we were talking about Zeke Thurston earlier. It's just like he's not super flashy whatever, but you look up at the end of the year and he's won the world. Like where did he come from? Like, oh, he just rides great every time. Yeah, And that's kind of like my dad was just like he just did the right thing, you know.
Speaker 1: And it was like Tiger Wood says, same boring strokes every day. And he raised his family. He never he didn't drink. He was a man of God.
Speaker 4: Times came like he just leaned on God and his faith and he brought his family back together. And and then at fifty five he died. And it was this cherry on top that I don't know, it was hearing people and he had used the word butterfly effect before you know, the ripple effect, and his ripple effect after he died was just crazy and it just keeps going. And so the great thing is that the legacy that kind of the Lord used after he died. Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I don't know, that's kind of.
Speaker 4: And it. But you're part of that.
Speaker 1: You're you're you're a part of that great thing that he left.
Speaker 2: I mean, I say that in all seriousness.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like, what what you I mean that that that is the essence and the beauty of botherhood is that you get to you get to pass something on to your children, and I mean in such a tangible and real way.
Speaker 2: He passed so much to you.
Speaker 1: And I mean the rodeo stuff and riding bulls and the pure passion that you have for it that he had I deeply respect. But what I deeply respect more about you that I've seen confirmed with my own eyes since i've I've only been here twenty four hours but been around you a little bit. The fact that you're in the midst of a of a pretty corrosive environment at times. I know, the rodeo world can be pretty corrosive. And you don't drink, you don't you're like, you're very family orient oriented.
Speaker 4: Like who you are is.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm most impressed with about you, and I know that's directly connected to him. I mean that with all seriousness. I said this, and again, I want I want you to connect this to your dad, because it's not many people probably have the same pendulum. And I realized your father died, so it gave you this ability to scrutinize and evaluate, probably differently than those of us that have living fathers. I think there's something about a dad dying that makes you really scrutinize the relationship. But uh, but to end on a compliment to Dale, you, I knew that you were a legitimate, solid human by the way that I have witnessed you, even in your content, which is comedy generally, by the way that your interns treated and respected you, and the way I saw you treat and respect them.
Speaker 2: I was like, I think that's a good guy. I think he's got a good value system.
Speaker 1: And and you're probably I mean behind the shades, behind the cowboy hat and the wig, ridiculous wig, you're you're you're like a solid human.
Speaker 2: That's my assessment.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that it does mean a lot, you know, anything good to me, I think the Lord instilled through my dad. You know, we got a pretty common saying around here is don't meet your heroes, you.
Speaker 1: Know, because yeah, so you know, I think I think there's a lot of things about me that are you know, you'd be underwhelmed with.
Speaker 4: But I do. I do appreciate you, my hero. Now, I don't know you said it with your kind of we're hitting around man, but uh, but no, I think that I've been blessed with the great team here. You know, I was blessed with Like I said, I I'm really not trying to just like beef up.
Speaker 3: I would have said all this when he was alive.
Speaker 1: And that's that's the thing that I just I I was a fan of the man, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and when he passed, I had zero regrets.
Speaker 4: Like there's one or two comments where he and I got because we worked together, and there's like one or two times I can think of where we got mad at each other where I probably said like something minor out of line. But I was such a fan of his and I wanted more time with him, you know, all the time, And so I had zero regrets when he passed, and they took him to the hospital, took him to the mortuary, and then we went and picked him up. My brother and I and nobody else ever took possession of him. It was just like a lonesome dove thing. We just wanted to be the one. And so we drove him to the funeral home. We drove him to the church. Then we drove him and we buried him. We lowered him, We threw the dirt end and uh, but we had the funeral. We did the grave side here, funerals in love it grap side here. And so it was a couple a day or two later and then I get home and I'm sorting stuff out, And it was like eight days after my dad died that I realized, dang, it hasn't even crossed my mind where he might be right now. It was as sure to me as gravity, Like I ain't got to acknowledge that when I knocked this off, it's gonna fall, Like you just know that you don't have to. Oh, gravity is what I think of, you know, Like there was no It was as sure as I am of gravity. That's where like I just knew that was a fundamental truth for me, and that was maybe the biggest assurance I had about moving forward in life without him, was that he left me with this faith, you know, that I was able to take with me, and that was maybe one of the more grateful things I was. I was I was most grateful for with my dad.
Speaker 1: Man, thanks for sharing that. Yeah, yeah, you bet for real, super super interesting.
Speaker 3: Long story.
Speaker 4: It's weird. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've told it like, it's not weird, but it's just different.
Speaker 4: I've told it maybe five times and it's just like, depending on where I start, it just hits me different. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, thank you so much for having us to the ranch. Thank you for for for hosting me today.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And uh, at some point, at some point on the on the Meat Eat your web YouTube channel, you're gonna be able to see me and old Dale.
Speaker 3: Out ranching ranching and then Clay getting kicked.
Speaker 1: You'll get to watch it.
Speaker 4: We got it filmed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: If you get kicked by a horse and nobody's there to film it, I don't think it's the coolest.
Speaker 3: And these days it helping happened. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So anyway, thank you Dale, and uh anything else I'm supposed to say, Keep the wild places wild because that's.
Speaker 4: Where the Bears live.
Speaker 1: Owned the next one to the next one, old son