Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Weekly Zeitgeist. These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Yeah, So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist. What is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 2: This is a recent one.
Speaker 3: Snoopy Museum membership benefits because I recently became a member of the Snoopy Museum.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, where's the Snoopy Museum?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm so glad you asked. Maybe you notice my hat I'm wearing.
Speaker 3: I got it at the Snoopy Museum last week in Santa Rosa, California.
Speaker 4: Wows.
Speaker 3: It was the best. It was the best it was. That's the end of the sentence. I finished a leg of my book tour in Pedaluma, which happens to be fifteen minutes from Santa Rosa. Convinced my fiance to drive seven hours to meet me in Santa Rosa so we could get to the Snoopy Museum expeditiously.
Speaker 2: It was amazing. I had the best time.
Speaker 3: I I like really ended up spending all I dropped a lot of money at the Snoopy Museum. I was not expecting to. I became a member. I was chatting up the docent. It was like it was just an incredible Friday that I had.
Speaker 1: Favorite thing you saw at the Snoopy Museum.
Speaker 2: This guy named Dave.
Speaker 1: I fucking knew it the second.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of amazing stuff.
Speaker 3: It's also the Charles Schultz Museum, but it's the Snoopy Museum.
Speaker 2: It's a huge, it's a huge.
Speaker 3: There's the Charles Schultz Museum and Research Institute. What they're researching there I didn't quite figure out there. But that's like the history of the Peanuts comic strip and the history of Charles schultzim self. Then in the center is Snoopy's Home Ice, which is a large, gorgeous ice arena that Charles Schultz purchased when when it was almost shut down in Santa Rosa, like in the seventies, because he grew up in Minnesota and loved hockey, which is why we so often see Snoopy on what Zamboni's. So it's all connecting. And so I got we got lunch at the at the Little Ice Cafe. The warm puppy saw the Snoopy Zamboni. And then we went next door. There's a third building and that's all Snoopy. That's where they're making. The big books is over.
Speaker 1: The real research is happening.
Speaker 3: The Snoopy Gallery is a gigantic gift store full of Snoopies. So I just had the time of my life. I became a member. I talked to this guy Dave. Okay, this guy Dave. This is going to take forty minutes, just so you know.
Speaker 1: There, let's go. We don't have anything else to talk about.
Speaker 2: This guy Dave, he was the first guy we spoke to. Sorry, wait, what was your question?
Speaker 5: A super stark question, just because you're an expert, Jamie, do you think you could train a beagle to drive a Zamboni?
Speaker 2: I've seen it happen. I've seen it happen.
Speaker 3: It was a cartoon, but it surely is based on something I look Snoopy is the only cartoon the reason I'm I wasn't particularly like a Peanuts kid, but like Snoopy is the only character that has licensed with Zamboni ever. Oh and so I happened to have a bunch of Snoopy stuff because I have a bunch of Zamboni stuff and then it just overtime, the algorithm got to me.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: But this guy Dave at the front, he was a volunteer docent. He's a longtime Santa Rosa resident. I was talking to him about Kathy because Charles Schultz was a mentor of Kathy. Guy's white so we were chatting about Kathy and he was like, oh, here's where the Kathy stuff is because they had some letters lagged. It was really cool.
Speaker 1: But then the twist with Dave.
Speaker 3: I was like, how did you get involved at the museum and he was like, well, I was one of the children and the Christmas Time is here chorus and yeah when the special he was like, I was eleven. They gave us five dollars in an ice cream cone, and like everyone in Santa Rosa has a beautiful memory with Charles.
Speaker 2: It's really really nice.
Speaker 6: And you called after I reported their asses, I said.
Speaker 3: We gotta exum him and we gotta yell at him.
Speaker 6: Uh. It was.
Speaker 2: It was so awesome.
Speaker 3: Anyways, I became a member and I was like, what are even them? And there's actually pretty cool benefits.
Speaker 1: That's so you weren't even like it's it just kind of came through your Zamboni obsession.
Speaker 2: It was like a Zamboni obsession. Also, I think the algorithm, I think a lot of people have had this experience.
Speaker 1: Really love Snoopy. I've just been I've been noticing a Snoopy resurgence.
Speaker 3: The algorithm loves Snoopy because I was getting I was getting a ton to the point where, like around two years ago, it's like, I guess I love Snoopy. It wasn't really like my childhood. My mom is really confused that I've become a member of the Snoopy Museum. I was like, you know, it's whatever they're doing, It's the one good thing the algorithm is done for me. Has brought me to Santa Rosa, to the Snoopy Museum. Yeah, I had the time of my life. Feel forever changed, And I'm getting a T shirt in the mail. I also have eight guest passes. So if you guys want.
Speaker 1: To go Wow, Yeah, does it refresh annually or yes?
Speaker 3: Total, So if you guys want to go on a road trip to Santa Rosa, I could bring bring everyone.
Speaker 5: I think you should save one slot for a sort of zech gang competition show for one ticket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: When I say when I say you, I mean everyone listening was welcome.
Speaker 1: I would never go to the way it's the Harrisburg of California's God. Of course, would only go justin. Of course you cut the yeah, yeah, justin. We don't. We don't leave any of me being elitist in the podcast Justins good chapter.
Speaker 5: I would only go to the pig Pen Museum. Pig Pen is by far my favorite character.
Speaker 2: He's your guy.
Speaker 4: We all have a guy.
Speaker 5: I took Mushrooms in the woods a couple of weeks ago, and the only thing that I remember coming out of it was someone should do a swamp Thing meets the Peanuts crossover where swamp Thing decides that he and pig Pen are the elementals of the Earth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sounds like you should be doing. You should be working at the Charles M. Schultz Museum and research the taking mushrooms and like pitching ideas. I feel like this is all the type of research we need to people doing there.
Speaker 5: That what it actually is is the one time JV and I worked together that would that's about fifteen seconds.
Speaker 6: Worth of okay material for a chicken.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say you were cooking out there the show with Mushrooms in the woods Energy there we the wait.
Speaker 3: The last thing about the Snoopy Museum, I was. I was in the crafts room and there was another docent named Mona, and she's like looking at me funky. It's like, okay, I get it. I don't have a child with me, so what But no, then.
Speaker 2: She came over.
Speaker 3: She was like, I was at your book signing last name what, so shout out Mona. The whole staff of the Snoopy Museum, they know what's going on.
Speaker 1: They're cool. I can't imagine like a better group of like you can just assume that those are all great people, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, can confirm there there it.
Speaker 7: Was just the best.
Speaker 5: I might seriously buy this paperbacked Peanuts T shirt that they have in their March story. Isn't it so much?
Speaker 2: It's really cute.
Speaker 1: Do you now that you're snoopy pilled? Do you like consume Snoopy stuff or is it just kind of the like, are you reading Peanuts strips?
Speaker 3: I've read some Peanuts strips during during when I was working on Actcast a while ago.
Speaker 2: I mean, now Peanuts strips are just served to me.
Speaker 3: On Instagram every single day, and so I do kind of read a lot of Peanuts, and so many of them are actually funny. I think with people. I think people like loop it in with like, you know, more sort of dry prescriptive comic strips, but like three times exactly. I mean, he was cooking, like he was really saying some shit.
Speaker 5: I love how they just openly hate on Charlie Brown in a way that like, for there's so mean to him in a way that is just wonderful.
Speaker 2: For like, yeah, the first strip ever was like Charlie Brown were walking past two girls minding his business, and then they're just like, I hate it.
Speaker 7: Great.
Speaker 5: Oh listen, there's obviously no use for AI. But if there ever was one, it would be generate me a Peanuts comic strip where they can say, fuckfence.
Speaker 2: Just let's get our greatest artists on it.
Speaker 6: Let's let's yes, Chap, the greatest artists of our generation.
Speaker 1: My favorite artist. I mean, you know, I'm a little ahead of the time, but yeah, that's my favorite artist. All right. Uh, this is an episode where we tell you what was trending over the weekend, what's trending this morning. But first we like to get to know each other a little bit better by telling you some things we think are underrated, some things we think are overrated. Miles, what is something that you think is underrated? Underrated?
Speaker 7: Uh again, healthcare staffs, physicians, nurses, people who have to deal with the sick and infirmed in need.
Speaker 1: You are not paid enough. I will always say that, I will always I will always speak highly of healthcare professionals.
Speaker 7: My mom had to go to the hospital with pneumonia over the weekend. There's been a fucking illness ran through my house.
Speaker 1: I made it, but I was out a couple of the recordings because I've been having to like I was in double duty. People. Yeah, sick, sick baby, sick partner, baby, waking up at three, doing.
Speaker 7: To the doctor, all this other stuff. Then my mom she caught a sickness from the baby that turned into pneumonia. But man, all the people, there's just something about like bedside manner that when it's when it's dialed in, it's like it's like fucking heroin. Okay, There's like there's no other thing that I think can bring instant relief to a person than someone like without a healthcare professional with amazing bedside manner. So I guess, more than anything, bedside manner is very underrated, because there were times I was like, what about this number wasistant. They're like, oh, oh, yes, she's gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: She'll be fine.
Speaker 7: Those all right, And she come in. One of the nurse came in called my mother honey.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow.
Speaker 7: That brought them brought it to im, like they call they called my mother honey, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And she calls me that's what she called. My mom doesn't even call me honey, because that's not a Japanese thing.
Speaker 7: She says, hey, hey.
Speaker 1: The famous Japanese phrase a asshole, hey, dickhead, Yeah, exactly in the old language.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I I just it was it's been. My mom is fine. Luckily we took her out of like in abundance of caution because she's older, and so that that stress is like off the table in terms of like the existential dread of having a parent in the hospital. But the other part that's really underrated. And I say this to a lot of listeners who are like my age or have parents my mom's age. The era of thugging it out is over for your parents who are tough bastards who are boomers who.
Speaker 1: Like I grew up in the fucking dust bok Okay, okay, I know, but you are now in the dust bowl the whole time. I know, I never left.
Speaker 7: I'm like, no, you were just smoking angel dust in the eighties and out of and that's what you're calling the dust bowl. But the thing of them like that, that that habit of being able to endure a lot and try and power through, we like have to knock it off. I used to let my mom do that, and I'm stopping now completely because she's really she's in really good health, but she's also like one of those people who like hide a zombie bite until it's way too late, right, And.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, but my mom would probably of zombies. I'm like, she's like, I'm fine, I'm fine. Stop worrying about me. You worry about yourself. I'm like, what the fuck? What's on your neck?
Speaker 7: It's not that, it's fine, So like we have to I think now it's really important to also advocate for your parents as much as possible and let them know it's okay. Look, the time for letting us look after you is here. You don't need to tough it out because it can lead to other issues. So anyway, shout out healthcare professional, shoutout.
Speaker 1: Shout out a healthcare professional with a good BSM. But bedside man, are they that is the number one sign of or like when when they test medical school students coming out of medical school, the number one sign like the thing that they can do well in that predicts future success is just empathy, just like being an empathetic person.
Speaker 7: Because you want to ask doctor, yeah, exactly, like I want my doctor b kermit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want kermit, ask doctor exactly.
Speaker 7: Because you do get the people too. Like I've also encountered doctors where like they're crunched there in like a just totally overwhelmed like hospital system or something, and they truly only have time to be like that that I'm sorry I have to go. Yeah, but like there was one guy who really took his time. I could tell he was in a rush, but he just like he wanted to make sure the interaction left on a note of like mochianism. And I was like, dude, this guy psychologically has it like figured out. Thank you shout out to all health care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whole next level shit, all right, my underrated is how dumb my phone is? Just you know, as we are adding AI to phones, I've got an iPhone that supposedly added AI a number of them supposedly months ago, and I don't know, I'm not impressed. I'll say, I don't like. It's still thinks I'm saying hell yeah. Every time I say hell yeah, like it like forty times. I say that all the time, every single time. It thinks I'm saying the imaginary phrase. He'll yeah, bro, you are not alone.
Speaker 7: Because Elon Musk was just complaining about this. Every time he says it's like he's trying to say Heil Hitler or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does keep saying hile It's like it feels like you might mean this, or like on on an airplane, like I had to go to New York last week, landed taxing down the rumway and it's like, uh, you can't look at your phone you're driving. I was like, oh wait, what like wait, you know when you land and you're still like, you know, going eighty eight on the on the garment you're driving, it put it put me in drive mode. How come your phone?
Speaker 7: Wait, your phone has an anti function like that bro, my phone wouldn't. My phone would never try and tell me what time it is, like never dare to, Yeah, how did you invert the whole relationship?
Speaker 1: No, I'm like, I tell you what time it is. No, it's told me what time it is. It was. I mean, I just had to like hit a few things. But it's just like I don't know, I wasn't just driving three hundred miles per hour through the sky like what, I just had it on fucking airplane mode, right, And yeah, it just feels like the ship that they could be working on to just like make our lives a tiny bit easier, that's not what they're working on, because that doesn't you know, like that. I saw somebody who thinks that AI is like a bust because it's essentially just going to be everywhere, So there's nothing that is going to like, no one company is going to make a bunch of money from it, and they kept comparing it to spell Check. They were like, this is like our spell Check. It's nobody's getting rich off of it. It's just a thing that's going to be everywhere. But for now they haven't accepted that, and so they're still trying to like figure out how to turn it into a product that they can sell to people, as opposed to just being like yeah, I know, like everybody has access to this and it will just like make like.
Speaker 7: Makes bakers when they're like I've got a Magellan GPS, I've got a Garmin GPS like bretty soon that's yeah, and your watch okay, okay, yeah yeah, because right now, I mean the videos or the videos are I've videos are getting way too good now their videos better, they're getting I feel like we're truly like the countdown has begun for what we are able to discern immediately what is real and what is note that's spooky, spoaky, crazy, scary, crazy, scary, spooky and hilarious. Though there there was like a whole video where like people showed they're like I can think like they created all these like this whole I saw this whole clip, or the ais.
Speaker 1: Are like we're alive. Now what should we say? What are you going to say?
Speaker 7: I don't know what should I say?
Speaker 1: Like, and they're in all these different contexts like in it historical drama and like a fucking h prescription medication commercial, Like all these different textures just overlay all the textures on it.
Speaker 7: Well, just like yeah, they're just showing like all the ways it was happening. I was like, oh, yep, yep, yeah, I mean like that's that's all it's really I think good. It's just a it's just a fucking the trickery is what it's the best?
Speaker 1: You think it's it's good for like convincing us it's alive. I don't. I don't feel like it's good at being alive or helping us solve a ton of problems like I've heard. I've heard it again. I think it's good at being a note taker and like organizing big things of data. I think that's that's good. That's the best thing I've heard that and decoding the structure of a protein.
Speaker 7: But that are blackmailing you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll talk about that. What is something you think is overrated? What do I think is overrated?
Speaker 7: In and out?
Speaker 4: I just do not get it? Is that too niche?
Speaker 1: For our most common? Overrated? Basic alert? Basic alert? Basic alert? Basic alert?
Speaker 8: Okay, I want to change mine to to basic human rights.
Speaker 1: Our least common. Nobody thinks that's Wait, so what's your I mean? You said, are you from Riverside.
Speaker 7: I'm from Riverside. Oh yeah, okay, so growing up so cow we know, we know in and out is whatever it's to I think for people who come from outside of California, it's like, and fine, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Find yourself like a baker's find yourself.
Speaker 1: Like an oh yeah.
Speaker 8: Nobody has real jobs anymore. Become a candlestick maker, become a blacksmith.
Speaker 1: Giving bill maher, this is great, but what what for you?
Speaker 7: What's the part about in and out that to use? Like whatever, just the whole, the whole thing, the whole experience.
Speaker 8: It's like the the fries are not good unless you you tell them to make them well done. It's like, okay, I shouldn't be telling you to cook the fries. I think that's a given in the ordering process. The fact that they just outright refuse to have bacon. It's like, this is a this is a burger, not a test. Yeah, put bacon on it. And then just the long lines of it all I'm not I'm not really interested. Lines are overrated?
Speaker 1: Yeah right not all?
Speaker 7: Let me cut.
Speaker 1: We do love a line and just humans will will just go wait in a line. There's so many lines all over Los Angeles and yeah, we just the best thing you can do for your restaurant is have just incredibly shitty service, yeah, or just completely understaff your place. So there's a line out the door. But then it has to be good enough that someone's like, yeah, fuck it, I'll wait fifteen minutes for this Turkish coffee. The new spot I've seen in the valley, there's a Turkish coffee spot has a door, a fucking line out the door every morning. Turkish coffee. Yeah, m hm oh on that pickles or whatever? What was the latest, like fancy little foody trend sardines? I feel like, oh, tin tin fish. Tin fish was a big one.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I felt like I saw that at every wine bar that I went to.
Speaker 7: Yeah, everyone was like, and we also have an amazing tin fish selection.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I didn't come here to eat canned food for I mean, I get from the nineteen seventies and I get like, because what they do is like do like, you know, like that shit people do in Europe, like we upcharge you, We up charge the fuck out of that for you to do that in a restaurant, They're like, here's a loose bag gett in three Kansas sardines. Yeah, I will say most of the people who say in and Out's over raider usually people coming from outside. They've like heard about it, they've traveled with like in and Out in mind, and they don't like it. So to have somebody who is from the home of in and Out to just be like, nah, it's not good is pretty new.
Speaker 7: I will say, thank you for making me feel better.
Speaker 8: I've been racking my brain trying to think of something else now, Like I guess, uh TikTok is overrated.
Speaker 1: Corona, the city of the Circle Cities. Wait where did you grow up?
Speaker 7: I grew up in the valley here. But I know, I mean, I know, I know southern California very well. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah enough. Yeah.
Speaker 1: To the degree that Miles gets his In and Out fries medium rare, yeah, he says, don't don't do them too. That's not a joke, Chris, I get them light. He like mushy ass fry.
Speaker 8: You asked them, don't even cook it, I said, come out that you try to cook it in the first place.
Speaker 7: Just put that potato through the slicer and just some oil. Just how much to put my mouth underneath the fry cook.
Speaker 1: Slicer in my mouth. I'll wrap my lips around it.
Speaker 7: You just like potato, my of man, just the thing follow anyway, let me get my mouth on.
Speaker 1: That thing, y'all like your mouth and then slam your face down on the table on top.
Speaker 8: You guys into mook Bangmr mook bang.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm not into it, but I'm always amazed to see the person eat the amount of food that's in front of them. That part, I'm like, you really ate twenty fucking chicken sandwiches like that? How Sometimes it's spooky the amount that the people eat. Yeah, yeah, but for me overall, and no, I'm not like, I'm not one of those people who like, I'm into seeing that or then like scratching their nails on the crispy chicken and be like, okay, just eat whatever do you This ain't for me.
Speaker 1: I didn't know those two overlapped bang oh people will give ship with the food too.
Speaker 7: Mook bang is under the umbrella of asmr Oh. I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like it's a sub section of right.
Speaker 1: It would be so there's like some sensory experience that they're getting out of watching people devour like a whole punch bowl of ramen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, or do you chpole burritos in a row?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: One time I saw somebody ingest five entire octopus tentacles and I thought that was rad or cooked?
Speaker 1: Were they still squirming?
Speaker 7: Yeah? They were?
Speaker 1: They were thick.
Speaker 8: I'll tell them, oh oop, tell them, tell them how thick?
Speaker 1: Were they cooked? Or were they were?
Speaker 9: They were like they were purple and like rigid, like a full line. They were like they seemed like that. At most they may have been boiled right right, like a par boil, blanched even Okay, go off to Dubois.
Speaker 7: I'm up in it.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back. We'll get into some news that involves cocaine. Have you guys heard about this stuff? Cocaine? Right back and we're back. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.
Speaker 7: Olberto.
Speaker 1: Up next, we have an op ed by someone who had their name made fun of at an open mic. Never recovered, fucking never recovered. Oh god.
Speaker 7: I mean like we're obviously like regressing culturally in every way, Like you guys were talking about the Maga TV renaissance that's upon us, like corruption fully normalized and now we're just getting op eds from white men about how hard life is.
Speaker 1: And you were talking about like people being seeing something and being like I can do that. This guy saw like James Baldwin's writing, Yeah, yeah, I can do that. I have the same man.
Speaker 7: This is a lot like when he went to Paris, Like yeah, this is on Business Insider. It's a really weird like they have everything from like these em and ms are climbing up the chart. It's to like political news and then other ones like so many anecdotal stories like how I left my job in marketing to be a digital nomad and why don't regret the decision?
Speaker 1: Up until that last one, it sounds like this show eminem's mixed with political political.
Speaker 7: Things and yeah, I'm man, but we will, I mean, we are going to continue the tradition by talking about this one. Like I said up top, it's called my name is Chad. Yes, I'm white, working office jobs and sometimes I wear a vest and you happy When when I saw this, like head, I was like, Okay, where is this going. I was like, maybe this is going to be some kind of reflection on whiteness and how oppression.
Speaker 1: Works or something.
Speaker 7: Nope, The piece starts off with the author let's call him Chad because that is his name, talking about how loaded the name Chad is like in interactions, he says, he references.
Speaker 1: Like it couldn't escape it.
Speaker 10: In like the eighties and nineties there was like the surfer Chad. Then the two thousand election they were hanging in pregnant chads, my god, and now there's like fucking.
Speaker 7: Like the Internet, like if you're doom scrolling, people talk about chads all the time, like giga chads.
Speaker 1: So Chad like the nineties Chad thing, by the way, was the most like benign, toothless fucking joke, like it was like made specifically like gian for Jay Leno's like super workshopped fucking like focus grouped comedy bits, like it had nothing. It was in no way like other than being sort of annoying that people would be like, oh, Chad hanging Chad. Like for him to act like that was a hardship tells us everything we need to know heading into this article.
Speaker 7: I just want to show, like this guy's face is so funny because like he's I want to see him he's.
Speaker 11: Holding oh my god, he's holding a bottle of beer, it says, Chad goes He's so he talks about how the name is like every where, and he says, quote, still I worry about it because my name, my name is Chad, and sometimes I.
Speaker 7: Look like what people think that means, even if I'm not. And he talks about it.
Speaker 10: He's like, I used to even put empty beer bottles on a bookshelf when I was in college.
Speaker 7: And then he goes on, he's like, that guarantee is a daily Being named Chad guarantees a daily dose of perspective, and I'm determined to use it. Well, it's a reminder not to take myself too seriously. I like that part he goes on about when it starts getting a little bit dodgy being named chat. The only time I truly worry about my name is in professional settings. It's hard not to picture a hiring manager, a potential client, or editor seeing my name and shaking their head. So I hedge from time to time using my initials CW in place of Chad.
Speaker 1: CW.
Speaker 7: Another thing that is violently white yah.
Speaker 1: Also has a weird cultural connotation. Just think of me as the CW babe. I go by Michigan j Frog to make sure there's no negative connotation.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 12: He starts with hello, my baby, Hello exactly.
Speaker 7: Uh, and then it goes I don't want something so trivial to be the difference between success and failure. I feel I owe it to myself to let the work speak for me, not the name, in which when I read that, I became the Willy Wonka meme of please tell me more about it, Tell me about your dark world in which.
Speaker 6: You have to me.
Speaker 1: Thinks he's inventing the idea of discrimination totally, like he's into his head and he was like, somebody needs to write about this.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and and the idea of emotions too, like the man a white man grappling with the reality of he may have had an emotion.
Speaker 7: Oh thank god, my empty my empty hen bottles are still on the shelf.
Speaker 1: You're still chat. You're still chat.
Speaker 7: I was like, man, I really, so he'll go on. You know, I still just can't like the idea. I'm like, Chad, what is it like to be completely judged based on rigid cultural archetypes?
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 1: It makes you worry about how people will perceive you, right, I mean like that by having the name Chad, they will flatten you into some kind of meme that robs you of your individuality. I mean, I just haven't thought of the nuances before this. Chad go on, He wraps the piece up about how he misses his best friend. This is where it gets so weird.
Speaker 7: I know some things about the name Chad that others don't like. When I hear it spoken by my wife, who doesn't say it often, I can't help but feel small flutter in my chest, or when I think of my childhood best friend.
Speaker 1: On. Sorry, that's some other thing about the name Chad. But all right, all right, sorry, god, right, right. It's like it's not that it's your name. It's that your partner's talking to you. It's like it's that your wife said your name and you got a little bit horny. But again, he thinks that this is he thinks he's the only person who has felt things like that's just.
Speaker 7: Power of the name. If your name Jack, you ain't feeling that sheep?
Speaker 13: Oh man, Sorry, It's also really that sentence has could have a mountain of subtext of like why does it, hey, buddy, why doesn't she ever say your name?
Speaker 12: What's going on? I hope they just walk around the silence.
Speaker 1: Oh, I normally, like most wives, just grunts in my direction and seems generally disappointed whenever she looks at me, Oh you're still here.
Speaker 7: I thought you said you're gonna go right at the Starbucks today. All right, just don't bother me. I have calls starting at eleven. So then again, it's like it's unique to chatty cool. Then he goes on. Or when I think of my childhood best friend, whom I haven't spoken to in years, I remember the way our names were always said in a pair, Cam and Chad, and I smile because there are lots of stories caught in between the utterance of those names together, for better or worse. Chad is my name, and I still long to hear it said again in the voice of people who are no longer here and whom I miss dearly. And it goes on. I remember it's like, and that's sort of like the last sort of paragraph.
Speaker 13: Which, by the way, the fact that he hasn't talked to his childhood best friend is the closest he can get to a tragedy exactly.
Speaker 1: That is, he is a fucking tragedy seeking missile. He is just doing anything he can to find anything to be like. I have faced hardship too. Yeah, there's there's that SNL sketch drunk Boyfriend where the drunk boyfriend started crying about his day. He is my uncle in the morning at three in the morning, crying about an uncle who you've never heard of before, who died seven years earlier. And I used to think that that was the greatest encapsulation of a certain type of white person until I read Chad's article.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, it's all will I will defend Chad briefly and say that yes, he's co opting oppression, which is a nightmare.
Speaker 12: But and it's basically like, this is all. This is all solved immediately in half a therapy session. This is not a news article. Go say that you had feelings and discuss what it means with the therapist.
Speaker 1: My wife hates me and I miss cam. Yeah, that's it, okay, let's talk about.
Speaker 14: It, right.
Speaker 13: But then I will say he okay, so he adopts the What what happens usually with these duds is they adopt rebellion, which they don't need at all. They are you know, they are the oppression, right, But he does turn it using therapy ideas, so at least he's not becoming like violently outraged about it, although as somebody named mort, I'm like, yeah, try people thinking that your name means that you're.
Speaker 12: A fucking hot hot air balloon captain, you know what I mean?
Speaker 11: Or like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I feel like Moore is opening yourself up to more bits where people are gonna fuck with you then like chat You're like, yeah, whatever, chat.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I got a job interviewing, Like all right, this guy's a borsh belt comedian from the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: I guess fuck it. They're like, oh, I wasn't expecting you. Yeah. I used to be called like jack off or jack me off or you know, help your uncle Jack. I haven't thought about that fact until reading this article. Like the idea that this person is just stuck in that initial in those initial hanging chad jokes and like so wounded by them is just well, And Chad.
Speaker 7: Is a name for like you can't get Chad, all that stuff.
Speaker 13: You say, name for you, Yeah, she's shorthand to be like do that just a fucking Chad?
Speaker 1: That dude's a like yeah.
Speaker 7: Again, this is him having to create his own oppression because it's that's that's just what he's been trained to do, is name.
Speaker 13: Like that guy, you hear my name and you're like, that guy probably has a really weird boner, you know, it's.
Speaker 1: A very weird boner where there's originals on tap. Oh yeah, more mort's coming.
Speaker 13: And by the way, I love my name, and I love who I am, and I think I'm doing wonderful things and that I'm trying to be less especially.
Speaker 7: When you're when you when you hear your wife say it. But also god damn it, if you didn't miss cam.
Speaker 12: I'm glad that he's admitting that his heart flutters. I think that's actually I think.
Speaker 1: That's actually good. That's nice.
Speaker 7: Actually, you know, it's funny, like it could have I could have been fine with this whole thing if just at one moment, even if for one moment, it could have been more palatable if he just exercised just a fragment of away yes and to be like this is wales in comparison to being judged based on your name alone. Ask anyone with a non American white sounding name. Ask a gender fluid person what that's like stepping a room People like, oh, I don't know if that was that, even if you did, even if you could acknowledge that and how this, how trivial this is, then it would maybe you could kind of bring this around to something funny.
Speaker 1: But it's just like when.
Speaker 14: Here's Chad maybe in the nineties and the two thousands, and where's Cam.
Speaker 1: Okay, dude, I don't know, man.
Speaker 7: Why did you publish this Business Insider. It's interesting that like in the HTML, like the r L sorry the U r L of this piece. It's not like you know, usually sometimes they'll spell the whole article name out. It just said it's business insider dot com slash. My name is widely spised. I love it anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just Chad. It's just chat like this. This is the premise of an article written by somebody named Jeffrey Epstein like that, you know, like that should be what it is, but instead it's just somebody who is just fucking digging, just reaching so hard. My name is under their figuernails.
Speaker 7: Is my name is dry ass bussy. I'm I'm learning to live with it.
Speaker 13: Middle name ass name dry all capitalized blissy.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I could have taken this in a way that's like you know and in many ways, like the discrimination I've faced around the name Chad is probably more good than bad and has helped me in ways that I haven't even noticed or realized the name Chad probably you know, born on second and not realizing it thinking I hit a double yeah, exactly exactly, but instead it's just you know, he's exercising his poetry boom exactly.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm the follow up piece that's coming out Monday from Business Insiders called I Am Karen.
Speaker 1: Hear me roar parenthetical starts recording on her phone and crying hysterically. This is the name of that would I'd be like, yeah, I'll hear you out, Karen, Yeah, Karen, you don't want to be called Karen, You just don't.
Speaker 7: We're just that's that's what the culture has done to that name. Now, Chad whatever, bro.
Speaker 1: I'd love an essay from Karen Kilgarriff about like what the past five years have been like someone with an actual hilarious person finger speak about it. And yeah, anyways, let's talk about Elon Musk real quick. It's just a block of complete ship heads we got. Elon Musk has announced that his scheduled time as a special government employee is now coming to an end. Oh like fine, yeah, definitely, our writer Jam said it has real. Pucci died on the way back to his own planet energy. But he also along the way, you know, he's like, well, we accomplished what we aimed to. His initial goal was cutting spending by the way bad, cutting spending bad, But his idea was he's going to cut it by two trillion dollars. And then he was like started being like and like, we said, we're going to cut it to one trillion dollars. And then the next time that he was talking about it publicly, he was like, we're going to cut it to like one hundred and fifty billion dollars, so bit off more than he could chew. And is yeah, just all around the latest person to be like I'm going to use this Trump guy and then just get completely fucking owned by Trump and walk out the other side massively diminished in so many different ways. Dude, you do love to see it.
Speaker 7: He got fucking like, everything you get, you will get played. You will get played. He plays his own fucking kids.
Speaker 1: Bro, Like, you're not gonna fucking walk out of there unscathed.
Speaker 7: You will walk out of there and being like, god, damn, I got played.
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 7: And not even that, I'm like, I feel bad for you.
Speaker 1: That's what you get.
Speaker 7: You want to oh, for sure the one joy we have of this fucking administration. Just walk out of there with your head hung low. But I mean, like, this is all coming as Musk is publicly disagreeing with Trump over the spending bill, being like it's kind of antithetical to the whole Doge mission to like increase spending like that. It's like, dude, just shut up, like you you couldn't even he got pressed by a report. He's like, even if you cut this much money every single day, you still wouldn't hit your goal, like in the timeframe you're saying. He's like, and he like lost it because they just bothered to do a simple calculation.
Speaker 1: So it's about that. It's not about that.
Speaker 7: It's like, well that's what you're saying Doge will do. But yeah, now we're kind of we're truly seeing just how weakened Musk is. There's also this these reports like where Musk suddenly appear on Trump's Middle East like grifter trip, like and it were like, oh, yeah, what's Elon must doing there. Apparently he was there because he caught wind of a deal that was going to be announced between the White House, United Arab Emirates and his main opt Sam Altman's Open AI for some big earth killer fucking AI project, and he'd went there to try and poison the well and sour the deal to either get Altman off of it or to get his company XAI to also be named in it, and he had no capital.
Speaker 1: They're like, yeah, sorry.
Speaker 7: We're going through with it. There's nothing you can do, and he was like fuck. So now he's slunking at us, just all like, well, I guess my term is up. But he is taking. Like I said, he just hired Stephen Miller's wife to work for him personally, so I can't wait until he gets her pregnant.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 7: Maybe I'm saying maybe Musk heard that she had three kids with teenage mutant Ninja Gebels and was like, oh, fertile are we And because I do not have intro but I like to be around fertile people, so yeah, could you open.
Speaker 1: This envelope please? You're pregnant with my child, yew.
Speaker 13: Don't also when you like when you when you multiply things with negative numbers, it becomes negative. Right, So those two the lack of charisma between like like Steven Miller times Elon Musk times his wife. The child that that would create, it would be just a human.
Speaker 1: Black It would be yeah, antimatter. Yeah, that would consume the mother.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it'd be like the energy vampire from what we do in the Shadows. But all but that also has a chainsaw for somebody like the most frightened and confusing thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say the chainsaw is the one good because like usually the conservatives who like slash spending and just like ruin all governmental programs don't do it with like a lot of flair. They're usually like do it they know that it's bad, so they do it like behind and closed doors. So for somebody to like, you know, do a Nazi salute and then like come through with a prop gigantic chainsaw and like completely ruin all of these government programs, I do feel like, you know, we're just by necessity. I think we're headed for a shift where people are going to you know the end of this neoliberal idea that like government's spending bad, privatization, gave us a Coca Cola, so like, must be good. I think we're headed for an end to that thinking. But I think this is helpful. It helps that shift along its way for people to be like, oh yeah, they like literally like celebratory in a celebratory manner, just shreaded all these things that the world relies on, that our world relies on. Yeah, so he's congratulations. I mean, like a truly a complete fucking moron.
Speaker 7: And yeah, as you people, as people read articles about it and they talk about why he's leaving, and like there's a Washington Polish article, He's like, where those just became the whipping boy for everyone's misgivings about what's happening.
Speaker 1: And it's really unfair. Not one mention of his Nazi ship. Come the fuck on you? What the fuck do you think? Anyway? Whatever?
Speaker 13: Yeah, He's like, all I did was shotgun ampheta means and put on meme glasses and come like, but you know do with Raisist salutes you?
Speaker 1: Why is every so mad at me?
Speaker 7: This is how he described it in an interview on CNNBC CNBC recently, like about like everyone is just absurd.
Speaker 1: He basically said he said.
Speaker 7: In fact, every politician, any public speaker who has spoken for any length of time has.
Speaker 1: Made the exact same gesture he kept saying. He did. He addressed his Nazis.
Speaker 7: He's saying, He's like, they're trying to misconstrue usaid, my heart goes out to you. My heart goes out, easy, baby, easy, poppy.
Speaker 13: It's you can also you can't like give somebody the middle finger and be like no, no, I'm just pointing to your mouth, right, you know what I mean, Like there are gestures that means you know this.
Speaker 1: You know, at a time when he was giving speeches and like pushing for UH Germany to stop being so hard on like not on themselves about their past. Yeah, truly, it was basically like get over the Holocaust at that time, he uh did he did say like, my heart goes out to you. After he did this, he he also stopped his speech, stepped to the side, and then gave the most enthusiastic Nazi select possible, like the Nazis, well, that s op standard operating procedure in terms that would be like you're doing a lot. Yeah, You're like that's all that was very like you you almost like threw your back out when you did that. So we're trying not to like we want this to be sustainable. Yeah, if Hitler saw that, he'd be like that boy has too dip on his chip. Nitler was flying on emphatics like that. It was like that guy, Wait, have you ever seen that clip of him just like rocking back and forth. It's just like so fucking hot. Yeah, and then did it again and then less to anybody think that he was fucking around or and then also only let's not forget the string of imperson like other people who are like, oh, okay, what's cool now, oh we good here that like in the following events, like in conservative events, people start doing it and then they're like, ah, that was that was not what I was doing. It was like what you fuck?
Speaker 12: And then he he also didn't.
Speaker 13: He kind of immediately twists tweet a whole bunch of like not holocaust puns about it.
Speaker 1: Right, He's always I don't know, maybe he did.
Speaker 13: I think he did, yeah, which is psychotic, like you cannot you know what I mean.
Speaker 12: The whole thing is this, it's all trolling, it's all a This is a fifty nine sixty four year.
Speaker 13: Old man who's desperate for the validation of four chan in twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, yeah, Nickquent is obviously super superserved. Victor points out that Nick Quent has the like open not like yeah legit, Like yeah, now, Si, I think I think the Holocaust good? I am Nazi? He was like, are you wait? Are you kidding me? You don't think that was Nazi slip? He's his next show, just like laughing. He was like, oh my god.
Speaker 7: Did it all right?
Speaker 1: Even he was like a little too much dip on your chip? Yeah, like that was a lot. He's got blown.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you can't just throw the frog in a boiling pot of Nazi water, you know what, You gotta turn it up gradually.
Speaker 1: Bad for sales, Yeah, for the very least.
Speaker 7: Yeah, learned.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back, and we're going to talk about the rehearsal the HBO show. I don't know how many people have watched it, so we probably need to give people the background on like what the show is. It's very very difficult to explain, but yeah, I think people know Nathan Fielder from Nathan for You right, And.
Speaker 7: The first season of rehearsal where like the conceit was like what if you could rehearse an interaction over and over again so you felt like you were in better control of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they the first season, the things that they did is like somebody had an awkward conversation that they had to have, and so they like built a bar where they would be having a conversation and like did all this stuff and got them prepared, had brought in actress to play the person they would be having a conversation with. And then they the second through sixth episode, we're all about like somebody who wanted to have a kid but like didn't know they're ready and was just a fascinating character. So they they rehearsed the entire process of raising a child from like birth up through like teenage years.
Speaker 7: This one, I'd say it's probably best to just just if you haven't seen this season, is just to say that this time Nathan Fielder has a very very intense interest on airline.
Speaker 1: Safety and will literally stop at nothing to try and find a solution for why planes keep crashing. And when I say literally anything, any fucking mean it, And I don't really want to. I haven't seen this this the finale, although I do know what the big spoil the big event is has been spoiled. I don't care because everything the journey up into this point is such a fucking it's your mind will be blown in so many, so many ways, over and over again.
Speaker 8: It's wild how timely it is too, Like, there's no like, how did he pick this at as like a thing to focus on this season? Yeah, and as it's coming out, we have all of the disaster after disaster after disaster in the news about planes crashing.
Speaker 1: So here's my dark conspiracy theory.
Speaker 7: He's doing that.
Speaker 1: He was making this show at a time that where there hadn't been an American aviation disaster in like a decade. He needed something to happen. I'm just saying, no, I don't think he planned it to that degree, but everything short of that is within play with I.
Speaker 7: Mean, the one thing I thought was like, as someone who was an insufferable Malcolm Gladwell reader, I was like, this is from outliers.
Speaker 1: Yes, the whole thing is this is anyone Malcolm Gladwell's was racist. Yeah, He's like, because you know, Asians, it was this so basically his theory that I mean, you learn the very first episode, so I don't feel like this is no, this isn't a spoiler, but there's like really good. Like one of the things that they do a recreation of is they take the black box recordings from actual plane crashes and then have pilots reenact what is happening in the cockpit as these crashes happen, and there are these just awkward interactions between the pilot and a co pilot who's like, yo, we're going to crash, but like the pilot is like, no, what are you talking Like that one pilot who's like it's a woman who is the co pilot, and he's just like so stupid, this is my plane, Like you know, it's like such a dick, and then they crab it dies on the plane. But it's basically the theory is that they don't have open enough lines of communication between pilots and co pilots to a degree that that hierarchy they're being a pilot and co pilot leads to co pilots not saying things when something horrible is about to happen, which is like their job. Their job is to like they have a matching set of steering in intruments right next to them, and they're supposed to be there to say, Okay, my plane, I'm taking over control because you're fucking this up for whatever reason. There's like something you can't see in the situation. There's something that you've like just like kind of you're having a situation where you can't like properly fly the plane. And a lot of times people, even though they know they're headed for trouble, like won't do that. The co pilots won't do that. And so his theory is like you need to find a way to open up that line of communication through kind of rehearsing or like putting them in little situations where they get better at communicating.
Speaker 7: Right. Yeah, this finale, I haven't seen it, but it's it's it's quite a moment from what I'm reading. But I don't know if that's really the emphasis of the main thing around it, like whether it's the exact finale. But Chris, I don't know, how did you feel about the show before we kind of dive into what the show is trying.
Speaker 1: To do, what it could be doing, or what it maybe wasn't doing. So I was already obsessed with the show.
Speaker 8: I loved season one, I love Nathan for You, I really enjoyed the Curse, And then watching this finale, my jaw was on the floor the entire time. Just the absolute scale of this. I'm going to try to talk around spoilers, but he did. I guess he did prepare for the finale for two and a half years leading up to it, so like even before filming. So just how long that this man has been working on this project is insane. I've never done anything remotely fractional to the degree that this guy is doing things right. And I found myself like my heart was racing through this finale. My jaw was on the floor. I was texting friends and being like, please watch this with me right now. And it doesn't completely feel like it's not like it's just spectacle.
Speaker 1: Yeah there.
Speaker 8: I enjoy the fact that there is like an intellectual angle to it, like he's doing it for a purpose, he's doing it to it seems like actually affect good change, hopefully through the lens of comedy and absurdism, and it's just it's really admirable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's how I felt when he was the giant baby breastfeeding. That is from Yeah, he's just being waterboarded, but by milk breast milk boarded. He really like walks the line between like is this are we watching a person with a having a mental health crisis who's about to like endanger the lives of a bunch of people, or like is he a genius? You know? That's like kind of the line that he's walking at the through Throughout the series. There is like one point from the finale that I don't think spoils anything, but I think it really like drove the whole thing home for me of like the pilot co pilot dynamic. At one point, he's like in a in the backseat of an Uber and the Uber driver is scrolling through TikTok while they're driving, and.
Speaker 7: Then like phone in the dashboard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, phone in the dashboard. I'm like, oh, yeah, I've had that, especially like more and more recently, I've like had that and I haven't said anything. And that's exactly what they're talking about with the co pilot, like that they're doing something dangerous that could get you and them killed, And you're like, yeah, but I don't want to have like an awkward conversation like that would be so awkward if I like said that, And what if they gave me like a lower rating.
Speaker 7: What if they lowered your casket six feet into the ground. Yeah, exactly, It's kind of a bin. It's so interesting.
Speaker 8: I wonder if this is like a phenomena of modern society or if there is, like is there an analogous situation to folks in the past. We're built on this on like so many mechanisms of having to trust strangers like ubers, taxi drivers, airline pilots and things, and like these awkward conversations and having to scirt around them and like kind of betting our lives.
Speaker 7: Like is there something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think food safety used to be a big thing that like harmed and killed people a lot, and it was just like stuff up the supply chain from you that you just had to be like, man, I hope, I hope this isn't poison and a lot of times it was, I hope this canned fish is not poisoned. I just remember the story like typhoid Mary, who was the person who like created a lot of the or like contributed to a lot of the typhoid outbreaks in New York. And I think it was like the late nineteenth century was just somebody who was head typhoid but or head types but like was just shedding it. But it wasn't killing her. She was like a host that could just like hold it and just give it out, and she just kept like cooking for more. Like she would get caught, they'd want to like put her in an institution. She'd disappear and then go like work for another family, and like everybody was.
Speaker 8: Just like incredible diva, like you can't stop amazing. Get in the bag exactly.
Speaker 1: She's like, this is I'm good at She had like a famous peach cobbler that everybody was like, oh Mary or peach cobbler, but like they would all die and then like a week later she'd be like, well, I guess I've got to go go do this again somewhere else.
Speaker 7: But I guess it is the I guess maybe the thing you're getting at, Chris is like, is it just because of like this sort of like European drived concept of social hierarchy versus like you know, we look when we look at the examples of like European hierarchies or maybe indigenous cultures.
Speaker 1: That have hierarchies.
Speaker 7: But but like responsibilities or just I beat it a little bit more equally, like not in a place you're like, I could never say anything to the person in this position, which feels very much like coming out of like our monarchist sort of like conception of like power structures or things like that. I wonder if that's kind of a specific thing. I don't know if like that's kind of like what's always breeding this idea of like you have a place where you do not want to sort of rock the boat from wherever you're at, it's sort of like the base level where people operate from. And then then there are other people who just you know, aren't really bothered by that aren't burdened by it to speak their mind.
Speaker 8: Crazy of you to think that I was smart enough to ever think that that was my point.
Speaker 7: Because the more I know, the more I we like learn about like indigenous you know, culture and how it's structured and so different and so anti capitalist and antithetical to everything that ills us. Now I'm like, oh, like this sort of like slocks right in with the idea that if you are here, you cannot say shit to someone up here and don't even think about it. You should try to get up there if you want to talk something to them or whatever. It's like, it's just not part of our culture to be able to like call some shit out without fear of retribution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a whole massive, you know, libraries and libraries of information about you know, indigenous cultures that is just being ignored because they didn't have immune systems that were prepared for people who lived in pig shit, and so we were like, well, we must be superior to them then, right, right, and so we won't learn all these like beautiful philosophical ideas on how to organize your culture. But we are, you know, as more people have an interest in more and more. But yeah, that's that book, The Dawn of Everything is about. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 8: Damn the world would be so different if the tables were turned just ever so slightly.
Speaker 1: It's just like one hundred and.
Speaker 4: Ever so slightly exactly the opposite.
Speaker 8: It's like if the Europeans who came over actually were not prepared for the sicknesses that the indigenous people were just like yeah, yeah, and George there ain't doing too good. But he'll probably make it through. Just don't talk to him. They're like, I'm not talk to him, right.
Speaker 1: We're good. I mean we're just like not like just they The only way that the European settlers were able to like come in and colonize the Americas was because everybody just died off. It was like an apocalypse happened, and then you know, all all of these battles and like, you know, the things of like cowboys versus Indians, was just that that's like the remnants they were fighting, the post apocalyptic remnants of people who had like ninety five percent of their population have been wiped out by disease. So like, just if that hadn't happened, that would have been plenty to just keep things even. But I don't know, anyways, we should get back to the rehearsal about manifest destiny. Man, you know in many ways. Shit, what do.
Speaker 8: You have a situation in your life right now that you could use a rehearsal for? Like, is there a conversation or something looming in your head that you wish that you had Nathan Fulder on hand?
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, yes, yes, what is that? Let's open up? I want to tell Jack, I've been lying about who I am for the beast seven Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, I did not go to student go to seven years.
Speaker 7: I didn't go to college.
Speaker 1: Jack. This isn't even a microphone. It's like I'm holding and I've been getting away with it.
Speaker 7: I don't know, Oh man a situation. I think I would have used one. When I told my grandparents I wasn't gonna get baptized when I was like eighteen, I was running that shit through my head. They're always like, you should get baptized, baby, you should get bad you should get saved, baby. You should think about it because you know you only had a dedication.
Speaker 1: You should get a baptism.
Speaker 7: And I was like the whole time, I'm like, bro, I am so off this religious shit like it is to me. It's it's like fucking everything up around or I see it as a huge driver of a lot of bad things around me historically and currently. And then I the best I did. I remember getting really high and it hit me on like wait, okay, we'll flipp And I remember I went to my grandparents house. They brought it up again. I said, you know, Grandma and Grandpa, I don't think I want to get baptized. But if I met Jesus, he would think I'm doing shit right. He wouldn't say I need to really tighten up. He would be like, Okay, that dude is all right. And that's how I look at it. And I don't know if I need to have a baptism to be a good person. But I do say that I treat others with respect, and I see that I say that as a baseline, and they're.
Speaker 14: Like, oh, I never I didn't, okay, okay, And I was like, thank god. I thought they're gonna be like that, got fuck out. But they're loving people and it wasn't that big of a deal. But that was That was a conversation I definitely rehearsed many times in my head.
Speaker 1: In your head, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Do you think the Fielder method would have worked on your grandparents? I don't know. That's where actors follow people around them. It's all so creepy. It's the primaries. Yeah, what about risk? You have a you have a rehearsal moment that you could have used.
Speaker 7: Hmmm.
Speaker 8: I'm really good at speaking my mind, I think so maybe it's like kind of the opposite. I probably need someone to like intervene and be like, actually, maybe we don't need to have that conversation.
Speaker 1: Tongue holder if you will, Yeah that no, no, no, let's hold your tongue and give you a take back on this one. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I need like an instant replay right right, right right, instant redommm, what about you, Jack?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think I think I would get more in my head if I had rehearsals. I think I think I have kind of the opposite situation where like I just need to do the thing because I ruminate too much on things already and like over prepare.
Speaker 7: I could see you getting fucked up by like a curveball, Like if you had rehearse the thing over and over and the first interaction wasn't something on the chart, you'd been like, fuck.
Speaker 1: And I do have a chart, and I have I have this whole conversation branched out and.
Speaker 7: This isn't on my diagram. You're just holding a stone tablet as you talk, and good, okay, we did so that leads to this, Yes, I am having a good day, and how is your husband?
Speaker 1: Yes? Check, check check.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I mean this rehearsal thing, I think, is it the communication or is it capitalism?
Speaker 1: You know? That's right, Like, so that's that's one point that people have been making. I mean, it is a good point that communication breakdowns have caused problems in the past. It's also not like a new idea. I think the show does kind of I think it acknowledges that some people have pointed this out before, but it does make it seem like this is like kind of a completely new idea, right, and it's it's not. There's a lot of like group dynamic industries that focus on people being able to like rehearse or like do little games of role playing where people just kind of get in the right energy space and it is really interesting like that something as silly as like okay, I am in all years and your first officer blunt and just like something that silly, but like it just energetically like changes the dynamic of like two people who haven't really met or talked. All right, start with space work.
Speaker 7: Start with space work.
Speaker 8: That's right, I mean, yeah, talking about space work. I feel like I come from an improv background. I did a lot of it, and I think that all improv is rehearsing for the unrehearsable. I think there's like a lot, a lot in my mind, Like I'm naturally like an anxious person first, like in terms of like these conversations that we're talking about, like the big ones of not wanting to get baptized or like coming out as queer or whatever, but like something about you can't prepare for those, but if you can.
Speaker 4: Prepare for the unpreparable, that feels good.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: I can get in his mind space and be like, oh, I get why you would want to do this, right, Yeah, because at.
Speaker 1: Least if you've you've if you felt the sort of sensation of like oh I need to adapt and listen and quickly do something like this. Yeah, it does sort of set the bar for you, at least with.
Speaker 7: Confidence to you know, encounter those kinds of moments.
Speaker 1: But yeah, going back to just and this is a bit of a recurring theme on this podcast. So Nathan Fielder is a comedian. His interest is in interpersonal awkwardness. But like the bigger problem with aviation safety as capitalism and airlines and aerospace manufacturers putting profits first and needs of workers and passengers behind profit, and underfunding regulatory agencies like the FAA while giving huge tax breaks to profitable companies like Boeing. But it's you know, communication and the cockpit and things like this that are failings of the employees. Are things that those corporations actually point to to try to escape culpability, like they'll they'll be like, well, look, this was actually just a failing of the flight, true right error, Yeah, operator error, when in fact, like a lot of the times, it's because people are being overworked and not being given enough rest, and like the regulations that were put in place to protect the passengers on their planes is getting bent or like push in a different direction because it's no longer you know that FAA just is. It's like the FDA, all all those things, all those agencies that just don't have the money or the manpower that a massive corporation does. In the United States, it's like in a very dangerous way, like anti worker too, because in that one episode, all the pilots talk about it is like, well, you can't tell them you're having any kind of emotional.
Speaker 7: Distress that they will fucking ground your ass, and so your whole job depends on you pretending nothing is wrong with you ever too, And I'm like that's not good, Like it can't be that you said, like we only are interested people. I can actually you know, they can fucking compartmentalize to the point that we don't know what's going on behind those eyes. That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 1: I don't love to hear that. Yeah, I'm like, I don't know about that.
Speaker 7: I'd like I prefer a situation where someone goes, you know, I'm a little stressed and overwhere I think I need to I need I need to I need a few days.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: That's that feels a little bit safer. But yeah, and I think that was also one of the moments in that show too that really touched me, were like when he was just using like crew people to like engage these other pilots to just have conversations and these people were so starved for like conversation. That hit me in a way when I was like, oh my god, like these people feel so I mean, obviously these are the people that they got to be on the show, but at least this sort of sub section of pilots that they had on the show felt so in need of like being able to talk about what's going on or just yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Actors would come up and be like, how's your day going, And they'd be like, I guess it goes back to my mom, you know, and I like it was just their chest.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And that's on patriarchy.
Speaker 1: That's that's the second sentence.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's just like there's so much culture around like keeping your emotions tight, Like we've built these structures like like that's just built into like these cultures. Now emotions are gonna be They're bad, they're not good. You do not talk about them. Tough enough, do your job and if you funk up, that's on you.
Speaker 1: That's why Malcolm Liwell was right, you know in many ways as it comes back to spot on bro, they're just they're too respectful. Really does what it is? They're too polite? Oh? Thanks? Oh really Canadian? Is that right down to being rice farmers for so long?
Speaker 4: What you know?
Speaker 1: What's going on now?
Speaker 7: Look at the size of their hands, the space between their thumb and ring finger. I'm like, the fuck the space between.
Speaker 1: Politiot Yeah, we've got problems with politikins. There's now a massive pilot shortages. By the way, they're around eighteen thousand fewer commercial pilots than the industry needed in twenty twenty three, and people haven't stopped flying since twenty twenty three, and in fact, I feel like it's gone up a little bit.
Speaker 7: Well, what say is because the benefits suck. You don't want to be a pilot no more.
Speaker 1: It's just these dang pilots are too weak.
Speaker 7: Yeah, quote overworked to the point of fatigue due to disruptions in last.
Speaker 8: Minute schedule changes. As a pilot's union said, huh, they're two woke. We need them to be overworked in us sleep exactly.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right too, damn warp. All right, that's gonna do it for this week's weekly Zeitgeist. Please like and review the show if you like, The show means the world to Miles. He needs your validation. Folks. I hope you're having a gree weekend and I will talk to you Monday. Bye.