Speaker 1: It was the longest July of my life. And if you don't believe Satan's at work, let me tell you, man are a seas out. There's no air circulation in here. Our system was busted when we came back in. This is why you can't take vacation, Jesse. This is why you just got to grind it out through July. But we're on air. We were not going to be kept out of here because it's Sunday, August two, the Year of Our Lord, twenty twenty six, and we need to talk jam packed high top of pulsating downtown Nashville, Tennessee, and we need to talk like old friends who haven't seen each other in a month, and who know that college football is either for Saturday days or five saturdays away, depending on how you're interpreting week zero whatever. It's right around the corner. Camps are opening up. We got coaches at the podium for press conferences. How about the quality of Lincoln Riley's camera situation out there in his new building. So we've got a jam pack show. We're three nights per week pretty much until they crown a national champ. From here on out, you know, there are a lot of unknowns, which is beautiful. You got to find beauty in the mystery. But there are a lot of unknowns around college football, and so as we kind of dive into August, I wanted to talk about that now. I wanted to let you know where my mind's at. I've listened to a lot of you. I know where your minds are at. It got some big ten sec stuff. I made my way down to media Days for a couple of days. I knew what that scene was going to be this year. Didn't love it, but there's some hard truths that have to be accepted. There's some realities that have to be faced. I want to talk about Marcus Freeman tonight. I want to address some rumors and some things that have been said about the show, but also just about me in general, about the future. There's always a fair amount of fear mongering out there, Jesse, fair amount of people saying this and that. Well, we are the source on us. It's good quote, by the way, and so I'll address it all. We got a whole lot to get to and we'll try and do it in a responsible amount of time. They're watching us in Biloxi, Mississippi, they're watching us in Seattle, Washington, Columbus, Ohio, Elberton, Georgia. Is just so good to be back, Oh so good to be back. I just want to encourage you subscribe to the channel and let your boys know and your girls know that the show's back. Strap in. It is going to be one of the more unpredictable, wildest college football seasons that we've seen. I'm going to talk about some of those reasons later, but Man, massive season ahead for us, no other way to put it. Norther agitude to use. Massive season ahead for us cannot wait. So many unknowns in college football this year, I just want to start talking. I just want to start rattling these things off. I've been sitting around in you a lot. I went to the beach, I went all over the country, and I'm just sitting there with time on my hands, thinking about what people like us think about in July, and that is, Man, how big or small is the college football playoff title bubble this year?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How big or small is that window? You remember we played a game last year, I think it was Kublic Jesse that we had on and I told him, hey create a bubble and put as many teams as the bubble in the bubble as you need to make sure the national champ is in there. But if the national champ come seasons in as outside your bubble, you die. It was all theoretical. Obviously Cublic did not agree to the actual terms. But think about that. I mean, if your life was on the line and you had to take all the teams you think could win the national title and put him in a bubble, but you want the bubble as small as possible without having the eventual winner be outside the bubble. I think a lot of us would have perished by the way of Indiana winning it all last year. So who would I have in there? Well, I'd have Ohio State, I'd have Notre Dame, Oregon, Texas, Georgia, Indiana, Miami, pretty much those Big seven, so to speak. In some shape form or fashion, most people agree on that right now. Is Texas Tech in there? Is Ole Miss in there? Bama Oklahoma? Are they in there? As LSU going to be in there? I want to know if we get to mid November, how big that bubble looks, because you know, on one hand, you could have a team that just runs away with everything, but I think that's more and more unlikely by the year. In college football, there's another more likely scenario where two or three teams, four teams or so start to separate from the pack. But it's kind of one of those modern age deals of even though it's like Ohio State last year, even though they're a clear number one, they're still reachable. And they were and Indiana got them and Miami got them and they were done. But those kinds of teams could emerge. But friends, what if the third kind of season starts to emerge where at one point in a year, you think notre Name's the best team in the country, then you think Miami's best team in the country, then you think it maybe Indiana again, and then Texas starts to surge, and we get to December and you realistically looking around and say, I can see nine of these teams winning it all. How big is that bubble? How many bids does a conference like the ACC get the Big Twelve? If I were to put the over under it two and a half total playoff teams for the ACC and the Big Twelve, would you go over or under? You're thinking maybe Miami, maybe Texas Tech. Is there another one. Does Louisville sneak in there? Just bringing me young sneak in there? Do Miami and Texas Tech do what they're supposed to? By the way, does anyone have Indiana potential? Is there an undefeated season out there? These are the sorts of things that are on my mind this time of year. Speaking of Notre Dame, think one of the other big unknowns right now. It's a big boy question. This is an adult question here that we got to ask about Notre Dame. Is Notre Dame a big time program? Notre name a big game program that is still an unknown because as much as as much respect, as much belief, as much willingness as I have in me to maybe even rank Notre Dame number one in the preseason, if you wanted to be a skeptic, you could throw out the schedule thing, but move past the schedule thing for a second. If you wanted to be a skeptic, if you wanted to be an Irish hater, or if you wanted to just sell me on the fact that there are valid doubts about this team and maybe Marcus Freeman's ability to win a national title, you could say something like, well, what did they really prove last year? They had a shot against Miami, they lost close game, but they lost. They had a and m at home back against the Wall early in the year, and what did they do? They lost? Again? What are the big games? Did they really have? Go back to the year before, and someone like me would say, what are you talking about? Just one year before they played for the national championship. You could say, yeah, but they lost that game handedly and they had this perfect runway to get to the national title game where they beat Indiana a year before Indiana was really premier Indiana. They beat Georgia without their starting quarterback. They beat Penn State, which was also a non big game program under James Franklin, so one of them had to win it. Point being, you could deconstruct the concept that is Notre Dame the national title contender if you really wanted to, and I would push back on it, but ultimately Marcus Freeman has to push back on it. Ultimately Notre Dame has to push back on it. So yeah, I guess that's kind of an unknown right now. The true nature of the SEC's Tier one is what how many teams? I think the working theory out there is oh, Josh, is Texas and Georgia. That's what the odds board says right now at FanDuel. That's what the media in the South says. And I'm not necessarily here to push back on it. I just am wondering. It's called unknowns. It's not called doubts, it's not called affirmative statements here, It's just an unknown right now. Is it really that simple? Is it really Texas and Georgia then a little bit of a separation, then this huge like hodgepodge of LSU and Oklahoma and Texas A and m Alabama whoever may end up being in there. Is that the way it works out? Or is there some other combination? There could be a world where Texas is just head and shoulders above the rest of the conference, and come late in November, Texas is buzz sawing the entire league and Texas is in a route to going undefeated and the next best team's nine to three, and we look in November say why do we overthink the room so much? In July on all this? Or Georgia could do that and Texas could falter and underachieve, and there could be all sorts of uncomfortable conversations to be had about Steve Sarkisian or this is probably the more fun of the three possibilities here, not that there were only three. What if Lane Kiffin just does it and you're one at LSU. What if all the ifs become green check marks at Alabama? What if Austin max starts gives way to Keelan Russell, Alabama takes advantage of a soft early first month of the season and then they round into form. What if Texas A and M lost all that NFL talent and still got better. What if Oklahoma can run the ball and play good offensive line this year? What if one of those things falls into place and one of those other teams elevates. What if the Tier one table is more crowded. What if it's not crowded. What if there are still two teams like you thought there would be, it's just a different combination of those two teams. That's kind of fun to talk about. And then in the Big Ten, I don't so much care about Tier one. I got no doubts about Tier one. There. What does the Tier two table in the Big Ten look like? If we are to assume which I do that some combo of Oregon, Ohio State, and Indiana make up your one, two three in the Big Ten. I don't know how you look at it any other way coming into the year, but if we're to assume that, it is my belief, maybe the biggest story in college football coming into the twenty twenty six season is the tier two situation in the Big Ten. Because this right here, our first paper Popper stat of the twenty twenty six season is an old stat, but that's the way it be sometimes, Jesse, do you understand that out of those Big three, Indiana, Oregon, Ohio State, they are forty eight and one against the rest of the Big Ten the last two years, so there has been such clear separation. Now a lot of folks are going to clip that out of context and claim I said what I didn't say. I didn't say anything the stat didn't say. The stat is the stat. So my whole point there is Texas was one of the best teams in the SEC last year. They lost to Florida, They got taken to the limit by Kentucky and Mississippi State. That stuff doesn't happen in the Big Ten, and that's due to a couple of factors. Number one, the top of the Big Ten is better than the top of the SEC, but number two. Because of number one, there's a lot more separation between tier one and tier two. It's nice, neat and clean in the Big Ten, or at least it has been. So what does Lincoln Riley have to say about that this year? What is Kyle Whittingham or Matt Campbell have to say about that this year? Does Jedfish have something to say about that this year? Kurt FERRYNX, Kurt Ferrence, Matt Ruhles, So you gotta say something about that this year? Maybe even Luke Fickle I could have made Wisconsin their own Big Unknown. Here. My point is, is there a little more mixing at the top of the Big Ten or is it still just this nice, neat, tidy, compartmentalized product which has been great for the league, although I would argue maybe from a pure television watchability type standpoint, it hasn't been great because the TV numbers struggle just a little bit on that front. But the Big Ten is not struggling much at all. Here. I just wonder about that, But that pales in comparison to how exciting maybe the overall quarterback picture in the country could be this year, which quarterbacks meet or exceed preseason expectations. I've been consuming this game a long time. Most of you watching this show have watched college football your entire lives. You've seen some years where the quarterback picture was really loaded. You've seen somewhere maybe a little more sparse. I would put this year's preseason quarterback picture up against almost any preseason quarterback picture that I remember in my lifetime. The depth of potential quality quarterbacks in college football this year is utterly insane, and you can get past the lead pack. So of course CJ. Carre at Notre Dame, arch Manning at Texas, Mensa Miami, Trinidad, Chambliss, Don at Ole Mess, Julian Saym, Dante Moore, Josh Hoover is headed to Indiana, Gunner Stockton's at Georgia. You could get through that group, and then you've still got Mayava at usc whoever wins the job at Bama, because they probably have two guys that could end up playing at a high level. You've got Sam Levitt having transferred to LSU. Byron Brown goes with Alex Golish to Auburn, Rock Obeck, ditto with Matt Campbell to Penn State. Bryce Underwood is in his second year as a starting quarterback. We didn't mention Kevin Jennings at SMU in either of those groups. We didn't mention Noah Fafida, Austin Simmons, man Like this time last year, it was Lane Kiffin proudly like hitching his wagon to Austin Simmons as his starting quarterback, and now a year later, Eli Drinkwitz has done the same thing because Austin Simmons transferred to Missouri. That's not an exhaustive list. I didn't even get through it all, man. I'm trying to think there are some guys that we haven't even listed. Like Leonora Sellers wasn't even listed here, Jesse. I feel like I just listed twenty guys and I didn't even say Leonora's Sellers. So the point there, obviously is not everyone's going to deliver here. You'll have some guys get hurt because it sucks, but it happens every year. You'll have some guys just underachieve. You'll have a couple of guys come out of nowhere to make up for the guys that underachieved. But just think, if a critical chunk of those names live up to or slightly exceed whatever the expectation is, you're talking about an insane year, because that leads to a lot of volatility, because if you're getting pretty good quarterback play, a lot of teams could beat a lot of other teams. You don't have this like defined class system down the stretch like we do some years. And then the other part, which is not fun to talk about for me, although I think some of you in a more sick kind of way, I think some of you have a lot of fun talking about this anytime of year. The hot seat had a real quick trigger last year. I mean, Hugh Freeze, who else, Billy Napier, Brian Kelly. I think obviously when you look at what happened with James Franklin at Penn State last year, those guys not only lost their jobs, they lost them early. By Halloween was a disaster, and a lot of athletic departments had a quick trigger. So what happens at Wisconsin this year if it goes bad early, which I by the way, have some different theories on what may be in the cards for Luke Fickle and Wisconsin this year and then the rest of America does. But let's say I'm wrong, and for the time being, let's say you're right, and let's say they lose some games early. Is there a quick trigger? There? Is there a quick trigger at Florida State? What about dave A Randa at Baylor? What if it goes bad early for Lincoln Riley at USC Again, you could differ. You could think one or more of these guys are going to make the playoff and therefore it's a point. But I'm saying worst case scenario. What if it goes sideways? What if Shane Biemer were to get off to a really, really bad start. What could theoretically happen if we have an off the rail season like we had with Clemson and Penn State and LSU last year, like some stuff that was really hard to see coming. What if that happens this year? What if it goes just really bad for like a Tennessee I think it's irresponsible to even talk about it. I don't even like talking about this because this gets into the lane where if you ask me who would be most likely to be this year's James Franklin, I don't think there's an answer to that, because the answer last year wasn't James Franklin up until the point where it actually happened. The whole crazy part about that is it's impossible to see coming. So if there was a this year's James Franklin, by saying that, you're insinuating, oh, there's a preseason top ten or top five team that's going to lose its coach for merit based reasoning by Halloween, I don't know how you find that. So I was trying to come up with the craziest scenarios like sark at Texas or something like that, where no one would have seen it coming. I don't even know how you responsibly talk about that, and therefore we will not. Those are some big unknowns for the year. So another unknown, which will be known in the not too distant future, I hope, is some of the rumors. Jesse, you've seen this. You got internet. I assume I don't know what you did on vacation, but you looked tand well rested, different hair. But a lot of people were talking while we were on break. This is what happens when we can't address our people. Every forty eight or seventy two hours. So Nathan in Stanford, Connecticut hit us up and he said, great appearance on the bus, thank you. Busting with the Boys hit him up last Monday. Will Compton was strapped positive and couldn't be there, but he got the vaccine, so he is fully vaccinated against strap now and he's back. He's back on his feet and happy to report that he's back amongst us. But in the absence of Will Compton, I went and filled in on Busting with the Boys, and I think we went like two and a half hours. It was pretty crazy. He's like a TimewARP. So Nathan said, great appearance on the bus, Thank you, Nathan. He continues, Can you comment? This is where it gets a little murky. Can you comment on the whispers and rumors about you guys and ESPN or is it just a fun rumor you guys are starting. Look, as I always say, when I can talk about such things, I'll talk about such things. All I'll say right now is the same thing that I said back in January and February. We kind of talked about this a couple of times. I liked what we did with ESPN last year. We got a really relationship with the ESPN, there has been motivation on both sides to broaden and expand that relationship. Now here has always been my stance. I am not someone whoever calls an agent or something and says, go get me this, because that'd be stupid, because that's asking someone to force feed the audience something that the audience is not asking for. So on the other lane, if you feel like the audience is asking for something, or if you feel like there's an absence in the marketplace for something and you've got a good idea or someone else has a good idea and you think it would work, well, it's a different thing. So yeah, we've had some conversations like that, and I'm sure in the not too distant future we'll be able to talk more on it. But broad strokes purposes Nathan through the paper down already. I think it's going to be a really good year for college football content this year. And my general thirty thousand foot view on this has been for a long time. If this is the number two sport in the country, my number one, it needs to be covered and discussed accordingly. And I have felt for a long time on the national landscape the college football has not been covered appropriately. They've done a great job broadcasting the games, but college football itself, just as an entity, as a Sunday through Friday concept, has not been treated nearly the way it should. So that could change one of two ways. It could be covered by the wrong kinds of people, or hopefully it could be covered by the kinds of people. I, in some small way, hope I'm the right kind of person that can help broaden and expand the horizons of college football conversation for the better in this great country of ours. So I say all that to say, stay tuned. I think some stuff's coming around the corner. Nathan. We move on. Oh boy again, July interesting month. Some stuff happened, Jesse, some media days happened, some press conferences happen. So our buddy Jackson in Chicago, he was just asking me about the shots back and forth over the past month or so between the SEC and the Big Ten, and did I have any thoughts on it? And I got to tell you, guys, yeah, I've got thoughts. None of the thoughts are particularly new. I'm tired of talking about it. But since I haven't spoken to you in the better part of a month about these sorts of things. Yeah, I guess I got some thoughts about it. My thoughts are until further notice, the Big Ten gets to say what what ever it wants, and the SEC needs to keep his mouth shut. Those are about the long and short of my thoughts on this whole situation. I don't really care what your hypothetical scenarios are. Hypotheticals only matter in the absence of reality. But we've got reality. We got results on the field. I watched the Rose Bowl last year. Now, I don't care so much about non playoff bowl results, by the way, and I've always held that stance, including when the SEC used to dominate. Like to me, the SEC could prove they were the premier conference in college football for a long time without using bowl results as a bad faith weapon in their argument. The Big Ten's the same. The Big Ten does not need to tell me that they beat Vanderbilt with Eli Stouers opting out to prove they're the best conference of college football right now. You prove you're the best conference in college football very simply because you've got the most championship caliber teams in college football right now. Well, Josh, now I guess that boils down to how you define best, doesn't it? Yes, I guess it does, so I guess I owe it to you to define how I define best, And mine's very simple. My system is not too complex. My system for defining the best conference college football is simply which one of you has the most teams that can win the national title. And if you choose to view it a different way, you can choose to view it a different way. That's fine. That's why it's kind of subjective here. I would just say, if all of a sudden, you live in Jonesboro, Arkansas, or you live in Montgomery, Alabama, and you're deciding to judge conferences based on overall depth rather than championship caliber teams. Were you singing that tune in twenty sixteen or seventeen and if you were more power to you. It doesn't really matter, does it. But since you asked me, Jackson, I will tell you that I look at Ohio State, I look at Michigan, I look at Indiana and then running off boom boom boom, and Oregon being very much in the mix to maybe make it a fourth unique team in four years into Big Ten. I look at that caliber team actually teams plural, and I say, the SEC doesn't have that right now, and by the way, there's no guarantee that changes this year. And so I was down at SEC media Days for a couple of days in Tampa. I think Saban got some headlines for talking about schedule and there's this whole debate right now about strength of schedule. Oh, by the way, is that the same thing as strength of record? No, it's not spoiler alert. What should we go on? Should we go on strength of schedule? Should we go on strength of record? You know my thoughts on that, or if you're new around here, I will say I have thoughts on that that are nuanced and you can never know what they're going to be until the season's played out. RHT. Lastly, I was having some fun with him the other day. I was talking to him because he spoke up and he said, why are we talking about preseason FPI and strength of schedule when no games have been played? This is just poisoning the well. And I text him, Jesse, and I said, I don't care what you think right now. I'm counting on your full endorsement when the JP pole drops, which will happen in the next couple of weeks. He did agree to still endorse the j people, but his point was taken, and his point was, how do we know how strong someone's schedule is in July? Maybe we have a best guess, But doesn't that best guess also serve to unfairly pre shape what the narrative will end up being once the games have actually started to happen. And the answer is yes, And the answer is maybe you're gonna get preseason credit in the SEC for some teams that have historically been really hard to play being on your schedule. But then at the end of the year you look back and you say, wow, that team kind of sucked this year. Remember when we thought it would be a big deal that so and so was playing them, but then it turned out it wasn't. That's there on one side of the coin. On the other side of the coin, I one thousand percent believe the average league schedule that you'll play in the SEC is unequivocally tougher than the average league schedule you'll play in the Big Ten. But here's where that's irrelevant. Here's why that's totally irrelevant. If Alabama plays a tougher league schedule by a moderate amount in the SEC, and Indiana plays whatever schedule they play in the Big Ten, which is still going to be pretty tough, and they play in Indiana rips Alabama spying out. It doesn't matter. Indiana was the better team. That's just like if I took the Seahawks and I had them to send to college football and play in the Sun Belt this year, they'd still be the Seattle Seahawks that probably go undefeated. Their strength of schedule wouldn't be all that great. What kind of quality team would they be? There is also, and this is again in the nuance the devil in the details here, I think there's a little bit of validity to not talking so much about how strength of schedule slash strength of record impacts whether or not you can win a national title, but rather the fringe of the playoff bubble. To me, that's where the rubber meets the road. More on this, because to me, really what it boils down to is, is there an nine and three team from the SEC or maybe even the Big Ten that we think played a really hard schedule and they're being compared to an eleven to one team that played an infinitely softer schedule, and we're trying to figure out who's going to be the nine seed or something like that, like we're we always I say we. I've noticed a lot of people automatically attach the whole strength of schedule debate and if you play in the SEC, does the body blow theory catch up to you? And they immediately attached that to the national title. That to me is not where the rubber meets the road on this and I don't know that it meets the road, period, but if it does meet the road, it's Texas. Last year. I happened to disagree with their argument. But the Texas argument last year was we went nine to three. We voluntarily went and played Ohio State, hard fought game early in the season, we lost, and then we played a league schedule that was difficult eight games but still difficult, and we lost a couple more games, and had we just scheduled a cream Puff instead of Ohio State, we would have been in. That's our gripe. I disagreed that they should have been in, but that was their argument. If you want to make that argument that at the end of the year, you got a nine to three Texas and then you got like an eleven to one team like last year. I think JM you we were talking about how their strength of schedule at the end of the year they had lost against Louisville, right press, they lost against Louisville, and we didn't have them in our own internal metrics having played another team in the top fifty, and yet you had the whole win loss vultures out there that were like, well, you are what your record says you are. If you want to talk about it in that context, okay, but I don't really attach it to whether or not you're capable of winning a national title. It'll happen with Notre Dame this year. I guarantee you if if Notre Dame plays the schedule that they're set to play this year and they play Miami in South Bend and they were to lose by seven, you'll have some folks arguing NOME shouldn't be in and or that proved that they're not capable of winning a national title and they don't deserve to get in because their schedule did not meet the minimum baseline resistance that you should have to face to go to the playoff. There's conversation to be had. You got to watch the season play out. Though. The worst part about all this and why I hate talking about it, is because it doesn't matter what you say. There is a pretty sizable vocal group out there who just doesn't listen. I had this happen to me twice last week because I listened to a lot of college football content in July because it's the only time of year that I really have to check out what other people are doing. And are a couple of different shows in the past week that were discussing me. I don't know how I came up. I've had my mouth closed for a month, but point blank said, man, he's running around talking about how the SEC superior to the Big Ten and Jesse, have we not sad? I'll do it one more time in just a second. Have I not sat here and said the exact opposite month after month after month. I'll do it again. Here's what it sounds like. The Big Ten is superior to the SEC right now? Period? Was that pretty clear? But it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what you actually say, which is why I kind of hate talking about it on the show. But I will say this week two is coming this year so I go back to my point that I made a little while ago. There's no guarantee that this is going to rectify itself for the SEC. It's probably more likely than not the Big Ten ends up being better than the SEC at the top. Again this year, it may be more likely than not that the SEC, let's say, has one national title caliber team. Maybe we'll just see and the Big Ten has like three or four or something like that. Now, of course it could go your way, but I'm not looking towards the end of the year. I'm interested in Week two because Week two it's not a press conference. Week two is not media days. Week two is not a war on Twitter. Week two is when Ohio State goes to Texas. Week two is when Oklahoma goes to Michigan. And you know what else happens in Week two. Very interesting game no one's talking about. Mississippi State goes to Minnesota. I don't care about bowl games as it relates to measuring conference against conference. I love watching bowl games. I don't learn a thing about conference superiority in bowl season, not now, not back when the SEC dominated it. To me, you can tell which conference is better before bowl season. But if you need the cross conference analysis. If you need those cross conference data points, they need to be regular season games because the dynamics in regular season games are obviously way different in bowl games. There's a game outside of those big two which are obvious. There's another game that happens in Week three or week two. It's Mississippi State at Minnesota. These kinds of games fascinate me because we don't get a whole lot of them. I'm a big believer in SEC Big Ten Challenge Week should happen every year, but I'm not the commissioner yet. But think about this. The reason I don't care about bullseason is there's unequal motivation, there's opt outs, and it's not equally seeded. So if the Big Tens number four team beats the SEC's number eight team by three, I didn't really learn anything there. Similarly, if the SEC's number three beats the Big Tens number seven by three, I didn't learn anything. But if you could ever get me roughly equally seeded matchups with equal motivation, no opt outs, got to be wonderful. We kind of sort of have a little version of that here. Now Mississippi State will be ranked lower in the SEC than Minnesota, but still they're lower half teams in their conferences, and it's on the road, it's in a Big Ten venue. That kind of game's just interesting to keep an eye on, is all I'm saying. But Ohio State, Texas and Oklahoma Michigan, of course, bottom line, win some games on the field, man, then you can talk in the SEC. Until then, I don't really care about the rest of the excuses. Okay, I don't know what you guys did in July. I had a fun July. The way my July works is I put everything off until that month, So starting in January, basically, when everyone requests a meeting or an appearance or hey, can can we record this, I always tell them hit me up in July. And then July gets here and I realize, oh, like a million different obligations. I passed most of them off to Jesse and then I do a few of them myself, and I did one of them last week. People saw that I was flying to Chicago, they thought, oh, going to Big ten media days, psych But I did go to Chicago on business and I can't pretend that I haven't seen this. So those of you who were perusing social media A couple of days ago. I let you know because I want to be honest and transparent with you guys. I let you know there's something coming. I wanted you to hear it from me first. I don't regret it, but I may one day. And that is my stance now, and the thing has since become public. I went to Chicago the other day. I marched right into Barstool headquarters and I sat down for the better part of two hours with what some are calling Burger king Brand. And he's Brandon Walker and me, and we recorded. We just hit go, took a bathroom break in the middle, but we recorded. It's the first time we've ever sat down together, period, much less to record anything. I've never appeared with him before. He has never appeared with me before. Been kind of a cold war, so to speak. I think a lot of people see the optics of this and they think, man, we got played the whole time. Someone even said k Fabe is dead Jesse. I'm gonna let you guys be the judge. This will air tomorrow night. Brandon Walker's College Football Show, brought to you by Josh Bayton. Brandon Walker will debut tomorrow night, Monday night. So if you're listening Sunday, it's tomorrow. I'll let you judge for yourself. You let me know if k Fabe is dead after this. It's pretty spirited. I'll just say he screamed multiple times, stomped his feet multiple times. I don't think I did either of those things, you know, because I'm a full grown adult with a you know, fully functional life and stuff like that. But it was it was fun. I think it's very productive, and it was the first half of a home and home. And that's all I'll say on that matter, other than we really need to work. We need to really work on our furniture situation here before the back half of that home and home is fulfilled from one, you know, from one situation that's a little regrettable to another situation that's a little regrettable. I was going to say some other things, but I'm gonna be nice. I'm not going to start the season throwing shots at everyone. Jesse. I'm gonna be nice. What's happening at North Carolina had an inbox full of this last week, and I said, look, if you think I'm breaking into our vacation month to talk about Michael Lombardi being placed on administrative leave. You are high. So North Carolina football is in a state of disrepair right now, most predictable thing in the world. There's a new athletic director in charge, Steve Newmark, who inherited this. It won't be his mess for long, but it is a mess right now. He does have to clean it up. I got to tell you, and I forgot to tell this story. I think I don't remember telling the story on air. A few months ago. I was talking to someone pretty important in the media world who has a kid who had toured some of the schools, and he had toured North Carolina, and he had also toured some of the other big time schools, and he was just talking about how dysfunctional the visit was at North Carolina, how unorganized the visit was compared to these other places, and the way he summarized it so perfectly fits what pretty much everyone is heard who knows anyone under North Carolina and it is. They almost acted like it was doing you a favor to have you there, even though they're supposed to be the one trying to recruit you and convince you to play for them. There was a fundamental disconnect from the word go from not only Bill Belichick but also the people in his camp about what it was ever going to take to win in college football. They didn't win last year. They're not going to do any better this year. In fact, their shot was last year if you understand schedule making. But just want to remind everyone as we get into this, how badly they screwed themselves and the opportunity they had. We talked about this at the time, So this is not sour grapes. This is not revisionist history. I'm going to play some sound for you in just a second, but I want you to remember when Mac Brown got fired, they could have had John Sumrall, and John Sumrral had a quarterback down there named Darien Mensa who was about to transfer to Duke. But in this world where North Carolina is able to get out of its own way and let a coaching search be run properly, John Somerl's hired Darien Mensa, And best number I've gotten is well over a dozen two lane players are coming with some roll to North Carolina. Now that's option A. Option B is a pile of crap you have in your lap, right now, so understand what we could be talking about right now. We could be talking about entering the twenty twenty sixth season. Some are all entering year two with Darien Mensa as his starting quarterback at North Carolina. You could have had that, or you'd have what you have right now, which is a complete torpedoing of your brand, which is resilient and will still survive. But also this sort of like freak show experiment. I don't know house to describe this. It's like a star doing everything it can to implode in on itself in the twilight of its career and doing it on your dime. It's like North Carolina or enough powers that be at North Carolina decided we want to take our brand, our IP, our platform, and we want to pay you a bunch of money to do this on our dime. Crazy. So remember this is really important. Remember I'm not telling you this now. I told you this during the search the Dave Belichick got hired. As a matter of fact, we came on the air and I had been as transparent as I could during the surge, but once the search wrapped up, I was trying to be really transparent and explaining why I didn't think it was going to work. Let's take you back to that day. This was a massive power struggle in Chapel Hill. Massive. I think you saw some headlines out there. I think some of the national guys reported that at various points those that were involved on the coaching side and the didn't really know who was running the search. They're right about that, because there were multiple searches being run. You had the administration, Bubba Cunningham the ad there and the administration running a search, and then you had Board of Trust steam members and big money folks, not a bunch of them, but a few of them running searches, and the latter got their way and the former did not. So it was an embarrassment from day one. And now there's no reason to really hide anything anymore. Bubba Cunningham's not the athletic director there. It was just so stupid to see Bubba Cunningham on stage with Bill Belichick at that introductory press conference, knowing full well Bubba Cunningham got like hip checked out of the way because rogue Board of Trust Steam members and administrative types at North Carolina were running a congruent like ghost search under the cloak of night to try and hire Bill Belichick, who had no other options out there. By the way, Jesse, you know the NFL market better than I do. I don't think there was anything there, and so you could have had John summerl but instead we choose Bill Belichick. We're going to be the thirty third INFL team. Well, I'm gonna say again, North Carolina's mess notwithstanding like it should have never been allowed to happen, but it was allowed to happen. But even on the other side of that, once it's allowed to happen, what's blown my mind the most is not that North Carolina screwed up their search and there were too many cooks in the kitchen, because that's kind of the way college athletics, in college football and basketball searches happen. Sometimes. What's blown my mind is, let's give credit where it's due. Bill Belichick has one of the great Wikipedia pages in history, one of the great legacies in the history of coaching. The sport may never be matched. And so if I were to get this greense board, there's one right over here in the studio. If I were to get this grease board and I were to have Bill Belichick go to work, explaining defensive football to us, explaining organizational structure to us, explaining psychology of the game to us. It would make your head spim and a guy that smart so badly miscalculated the situation of what it would take to win in college football. It blows my mind because I saw it, and I think to myself, if it's football related, and I could see it and most everyone else could see it, how is Bill Belichick blind? And I'm not saying, oh, Bill Belichick shouldn't have taken the job. If someone's going to offer you the job of North Carolina, if they're stupid enough to do it, yeah, I take it. My point is I can't believe they were dumb enough to think winning in college football was going to be easier than winning in the NFL. But I think that's the arrogance a lot of guys who coach in the NFL for a long time have when they look at college football, they think, well, this is professional football. That's college that's like a light version of what we do. Those are the minor leagues down there. I'll tell you this. If you go to Georgia, you go to Ohio State, you go to Notre Dame to Texas. Yeah, yeah, you could certainly make the argument it's easier to win there because relative to whatever the baseline is, you're above and beyond from a resource standpoint. So you're coming from a world in the NFL where everything is built to cram you into the middle and all the resources are equal, and no one really is working at a disadvantage from or an advantage from the jump to a world in college where there is huge disparity between haves and have nots. Even in the Portland Nil era there's huge disparity. So, yeah, if Belichick were to have come to Texas, he would have been right to think it's going to be easier to win in college than the NFL. But he didn't come to Texas. He came to North Carolina, where relative to the halves, he was going to be working at a disadvantage. So everything about his logic was actually working against him. And then they thought to themselves once they got here, they thought, man, we're going to have to beat kids off with a stick about our reputation and think about how enviable it'll be to play at North Carolina. And that's just not the world. It was never going to be the world. I can't believe they thought it was going to be the world. And the arrogance and the humorous and stupidity, I guess is a better word to throw around the thirty third NFL team. It got laughed at, guys, It got laughed at from pretty much everyone whose opinion I even remotely trust in college football. From day one, I remember just getting immediate feedback in some cases from guys who were going to have to face him or get to face him, and in other case is just people who have been around the game a long time, and every one of them, to a man, was he doesn't have the slightest clue what he's getting into. And that was pretty prophetic, not hard to see coming. And it's an experiment that's happened on North Carolina's dime, and they ought to be ashamed of themselves for letting it happen. But I will say this, it hasn't wrecked the brand. I got asked yesterday last night. I was at an event down in Fair Hope, Alabama, and someone said this, this this just wreck North Carolina for the future. No, Nope, it doesn't. I think they will wash their hands of this entire experiment. At some point this year, I think that'll happen, and I think the North Carolina job will be open. I don't know how else to tell you this. I know some people who would want the job right now, who would probably be on the short list. It's still a desirable position. In fact, it's probably going to be looked at as a position that is really desirable for the first time in a long time, because you flushed some of Slash, a lot of what needed to be flushed out of the athletic department out. I don't mean Bubba Cunningham. I mean the entire mess that prevented him from doing his job effectively. And I think also this was the medicine that was needed. A lot of people needed to have their eyelids staple to the top of their forehead and forced to watch this play out. This is your freak show. Okay, we did it your way and this is what we get. Now we're going to do it the right way and watch what happens. North Carolina can still be a winner. North Carolina is one of I've said it for a long time, and I know it gets old. I've said it about A and M for a long time, and I still believe it. You can win a national championship at this place. It just takes alignment. It's as easy and as complicated as that. It just takes alignment. They're watching us in Austin, Texas, Waterloo, Iowa, Jackson, Tennessee. Thank you guys so much. I got to remind everyone you may be joining throughout the stream. We're back. We're back, so happy. This is all we do around here. We don't cover any other sport, we don't cover any other topics. It's just college football year round except for July. And we're back. So we were sitting around earlier today trying to make sure all the equipment worked. And then after we were trying to make sure all the equipment worked, we said, hey, we've got room for one more thing, probably in the show, even though this is not the end of the show, but we had room for one more thing. I'm just sitting around here, and here's a good endpoint for you. Pres I'm just sitting around thinking, like, you know how awesome saturdays are, And I feel so bad for people who don't love college football and they don't really know what we're talking about. Maybe that's you and maybe this is the year you dive in and I'll sell you. I will recruit you for college football by explaining to you the magic of Saturdays. There's nothing like a college football Saturday. The entire concept of what it is that doesn't exist in American sports anywhere else, pro, college, whatever. The feeling of waking up on a Saturday. You know this feeling now, you know going to bed Friday night and then waking up. First thing, first five seconds are what day is it? The next five seconds are, oh, it's Saturday. And then that ten to fifteen second period after you're aware that you just woke up of realizing, oh my god, goodness, it's Saturday. It's week four. We got four top twenty five matchups today, we got that game that I've circled as an upset alert all week. How am I structuring my morning? Maybe you're going to a game, maybe you've got errands to run, but the morning buzz, just the energy you have about yourself on a Saturday morning. When I was not going to games back in my youth, I would go work out. I would say I got to get myself to ten o'clock, and this is Eastern time at that point, and then from ten to eleven thirty, I'll be going. If I can get myself to ten, it's basically kickoff, because working out feels like kickoff. And then eleven thirty, it takes me fifteen minutes to drive home. I'm going to get food on the way, and then I don't blink for twelve hours or more. Off, Hawaii's playing a home game that night. I can't put that in context vivid enough for you to feel until you feel it yourself. But I want to tell you if you can ever get to that point, especially on that first Saturday post September cold front happens every year, happens every single year. The first couple of weeks is still hot, but eventually there's going to be a real broad, sweeping cold front through like the eastern two thirds of the United States. And it sometimes happens late in the week fingers crossed, and you wake up. It could be a Friday morning, but maybe it's a Saturday morning and you step outside and you can feel it. You can feel college football in the air. The due point has plummeted. Are those leaves changing colors? Wow, I've actually got to put a coat on to walk out here. It's an unbelievable feeling. I wish everyone could experience it. There's some people who are really sad in life right now, and they think, man if I could just get a better job, Man if I just had more friends. No, forget that, your job's fine. A friend in need is a pest. No, what you need is college football. That's all you need, That's all you really need. Urgency is a word that we use a lot in college football and those Saturdays. The urgency that I feel that most people who love this sport, the urgency that you feel on Saturdays again is unmatched anywhere else in the American sporting landscape. And I'm talking mainly to people who can't relate yet to what I'm talking about, kind of trying to invite you to experience this. You talk to someone who has lived college football their whole life, most of them watch other sports. I do. I watch the NFL, believe it or not. I even dabble in some NBA. Told the Knicks had a great year this year. Jesse. Major League baseball grew up. It was my favorite sport and next to college football growing up. So I know the flavor of all the other sports. I know that there's nothing like a college football Saturday, specifically the urgency. You can wake up utterly terrified on a Saturday. You remember when Oregon came to Penn State last year, Yes, you do, Jesse. You remember the feeling you had that morning. You remember you remember, Hey man, it comes down to one or two games for us this year. We think we got everything we need. And it's like you're holding a little balancing rod and you're looking at the tightrope in front of you. You know, you got to walk that thing today. And the thing about it is a tightrope walk with a giant safety net under you and whatever. The college football is a tightrope walk in a lot of cases where there's either no safety net or there is a safety net, but it's like one hundred feet below you, so you're gonna get hurt no matter if that thing catches you or not. And the way that makes you feel it's so exciting, it's so terrifying. It's like riding a roller coaster for the first time. It's like, I don't know how else to describe it again, because there's no other comparison. You have to live college football to understand what I'm talking about. That's also why some of us get really really aggressive when you talk about expanding the playoff, because you're talking about doing it at the expense of taking that word and devaluing it urgency. I think the campus scene, obviously, if you can get to it campus or camp i which is the plural of campus, get to several of them on a Saturday, that's amazing. And I don't really think if you've ever experienced that, I need to sell you on that that much. But it's also there's specific things that happen above the sites and the sounds and the smells and the community and the relationships, all of those things, the coming together of people with radically different political views religious views, but yet they're all wearing the same colors on Saturday, and so it's cool. We just put all that stuff on the shelf for a day. Despite all that, which is magical, believe me. But despite all that, if you've ever been on a big time campus on a big time Saturday, you're at LSU, Texas is in town. It's a seven thirty eastern, six thirty kickoff. Think about what it's like two point fifteen in the afternoon tailgate scene's already packed. But you know, any given Saturday, you're gonna have some big stuff that happens that you didn't expect. It's always that's funny if you're on that campus, to watch how the word of an upset alert kind of reverberates around campus. It's like word of mouths, like, you, guys, see what's happening in this old miss game. You guys seen his score in this USC game, And watch how that just kind of makes its way around a huge, packed, fifty thousand deep tailgate scene. I always love that. I always also love the clearing of the mechanism. This may be my favorite aspect. Actually, this is what I always sell people on. Clearing of the mechanism happens on fall Saturdays, in games on fall Saturdays. I'll tell you what I mean by it. It comes from For Love of the Game, which is a baseball movie, Kevin Costner's nineteenth baseball movie. All of them are good. He's pitching, Billy Chappel pitching for the Detroit Tigers. He's in the latter stage, is in the twilight of his career, and he is narrating his own game. And there's a point where he's pitching in Yankee Stadium and he's trying to lock in and he's telling himself, clear the mechanism, Clear the mechanism, and he can't. He's hearing crowd noise. There's like an individual guy just roasting him on the second row above the first base dugout, and he cleared the mechanism, and finally all the ambient noise stops. It's totally silent, and that's you hearing what it's like in his mind as a big league pitcher. Once the mechanism's cleared, Once the mechanism's cleared, all the outside noise is cut out, and all that matters is him and the batter sixty feet six inches away from him. On college football Saturdays, there are moments. There will be a moment in Week one of this year where ole Miss is playing Louisville, or LSU's playing Clemson, or Auburn is playing Baylor, and it'll be a tight game. This is how you know whether college football is still college football or not. You answer this question for me, it's LSU Clemson, it's the middle of the fourth quarter, it's twenty six to twenty three. LSU's up. Clemson's got the ball. It is fourth and four on the LSU thirty one yard line. New offensive coordinator Chad Morris and Deblos. When you have opted to go for it games on the line, Here comes Chris Phizine into the line of scrim is changed into play Tiger stadiums at full throat. It's a primetime game Saturday night in Death Valley. Welcome back to college football. Play clocks at eight seven, six, five four. Are they going to get the playoff three? To hit paulse right now? Are you thinking about a senate bill? Are you thinking about nil or the portal? Are you paying attention to how much any of the players on the field are making Are you concerned with rule changes, conference realignment, all the stuff you get so sick of in the spring and summer. Are you thinking about any of it? The answer is no, because your mechanism is cleared locked inn College football features that unlike any other sport in the world to me, which is why I love it. There are pinball windows about Saturdays. It happens multiple times per year. I won't say it happens every Saturday, because that'd be taking it a little bit too far, but they're gonna be like six, seven, eight Saturdays out of the year where I call them pinball windows, And that's like a thirty minute chunk of time on a Saturday. Normally it's it's when a bunch of games are ending at the same time, and the pinball window is the window where like five things happen in the span of twenty five minutes that just put your jaw on the ground and you can't even keep up with it all. And your phone's going crazy if you're doing you know, the thing where you scroll social media constantly is going crazy. Some of the worst places to be when this is happening are in stadiums because you don't know. Because I think for all the advancements in technology, most of these places still are terrible at keeping you updated what's happening in the outside world, which is an easy fix. By the way, it's kind of inexcusable. But those pinball windows, see this happens in the NFL. It happens a lot because the NFL is built to do this. Every Sunday, the NCAA Tournament, the first two days of March Madness, they provide pinball windows. A college football pinball window especially in a year like this where there may be no defined preseason favorite, there may be a bunch of high level quarterbacks. I think our pinball windows are going to be at a premium this year, actually not at a premium. I think they're going to be plentiful this year. And then well after the pinball windows, it comes the aftermath window. The pinball windows cousin. The aftermath window is the feeling that you have. It's probably one am Eastern Standard time after the last games, after the late window games have come to a close, and the dust is settled, and you have had sensory o load for fourteen hours. You have not moved. There's food all over the place. Your living room is a disaster, and sometimes you're sitting by yourself because your loved ones have gone to bed. Good for them, you need to be left alone anyway, and you're just kind of like you're just kind of in in a coma a little bit, and you just lean back terrible posture sitting on the couch and you're just trying to process what just happened. This isn't every week thing. It's so beautiful. The pinball windows are beautiful. The aftermath window is beautiful. The campus scene is beautiful, urgency is beautiful, the clearing of the mechanism Jesse is so beautiful. And it all starts with waking up on a fall Saturday. Guys, we only get twelve of them per team, guaranteed. And if you want to know why we take such a strong stand against fall weddings on this show, it's because I have never been to a fall wedding that delivers those things. Just sitting over here. That's why I randomly looked over there. If I go to a fall wedding that delivers that, I'll be happy to endorse fall weddings. None of you are capable of that. Don't try. Don't try get married in the spring, or get married on Friday. Don't try and put people through that. Don't put your friends in a position where they got to choose your wedding, not your marriage, your wedding or this, because this is going to win every time. And if they tell you otherwise, they're lying to you. They're they're under secret protest. Better them than me. You know, we're gonna be on the road every Saturday this fall. Some say we're going to be on the road before Saturday this fall. But who knows. At the very least, we're gonna be on the road on Saturdays this fall, Jesse. Ever since twenty twenty one, we didn't go on the road during twenty twenty I don't know. Something happened, they tell me. But twenty twenty one, two, three, four and five we've gone on tours. We've named those tours. There was the Every Given Saturday tour. We had the Fall Not Lie Tour last year, the Once upon a Saturday tour. I was big into fairy tales for a couple of years there. People were asking me as recently as today, or we're gonna have a tour this year? Oh? Friends, yes, Oh, we're gonna have a tour this year. And I am gonna say, Jesse, what about Thursday this week? Let's announce it on Thursday this week. Tentatively, we got a tour name. It's my favorite tour name of any tour name we've had. It's my favorite logo of any tour logo we've had. I am going to tell you Alex is working feverishly to get the teas uploaded in the store paystatematerial dot com. My suggestion is just go ahead and set some money aside because I know our audience and I think very few of you are going to look at this concept and say, nah, I can do without that one. This one's going to be pretty universally praised. So we got a tour name. We'll debut it later this week, probably Thursday. I would say the Truth Teller series continues. It's something we like to do on the show, you know, tell the truth. But what we like to do is we specifically like to point out someone something, well, let's tell the truth about this someone or something. Tonight it's Marcus Freeman. I think the truth about Marcus Freeman is pretty clear. I think he's a top five head coach currently. I could easily see us calling him the number one coach in the country in the not too distant future. I'm gonna have to win a national title, I think, obviously. But everything that needs to be done to win a national title, all the ingredients that we know it takes to win a national title, they're all there, and so they're certainly headed in the right direction. I think two things stand out to me about what Marcus has done at Notre Dame. Firstly, it's just that he's the right guy they needed at the right time. And that sounds so common sensical, but really, if you think about it, they were really good under Brian Kelly. They were in a good position. They were rattling off good, solid seasons. I don't know what they were winning on average. It felt like nine and a half or ten games per year on average for a stretch there. Now, the trade off was we understood they were beneath that of a national championship caliber winning program, but they were good. They were really good. And then Brian Kelly left and the messaging from him on why he left, even though he disputes this today, but I think everyone understood at the time was I think I've done all I can do here. And that wasn't him saying he can't do anymore. Read between the lines. It was kind of him saying, I can't do anymore with Notre Dame, so I need to go to LSU. LSU will afford me the opportunity to do more than I could have ever done at Notre Dame. And good can be the enemy of great sometimes, and it would have been. It would have been. It's a huge fork in the road moment for Notre Dame. You knew it at the time. You don't need the benefit of hindsight. But I think the fork in the road moment at Notre Dame, it could have gone so radically a different way. But instead they did not let good be the enemy of great They had greatness, they had it in their own building. And then they elevated him and Marcus lost some inexplicable games early too, stuck with him. No one even talks about this stuff anymore, by the way, and now he's unequivocally elevated the program. I mean's elevated the standard. And it's easy to elevate the standard when the standard's crap. But that wasn't where the bar was there. The bar wasn't really good, and he took it and just said, nope, we're going to make it greatness. That'll be the standard around here. And then I think after that, so we're a couple of years later now after that coming out of last year was really important because they had a year last year. I don't really I don't want to relitigate what you thought about whether or not Notre Dame should have made the playoffs. Everyone has spoken their peace on that. Some people thought they should have been in. Some people didn't think they should have been in. Whatever. What's important to me is what they did with it. They thought they deserved to me in the playoffs. They thought the Committee shafted them. They had every reason to think that because of the way the Committee handled the entire process. But that's neither here nor there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: What I want to remind you about is what the reaction's been there. And I think it's been very mature, and I think it's been very beneficial. And we were up there a couple of months ago. I talked to him about this. Here's what he had to say. I try and envision you walking around this building at the end of last year. You're mad because you didn't make it to the playoff. Externally, internally, I picture you walking around saying, that's what you get when you leave it in the Committee's hands. Right, You can't leave it in their hands. You got to leave no doubt.
Speaker 2: I think at first my default was the same as many other people.
Speaker 1: You blame somebody else.
Speaker 2: That's what default is is you're just gonna blame It's not my fault, it's it's the committee's fault. It somebody else's fault. We should have been in the playoffs. But if you continue to have that mindset, you can't use that negative experience. In order to learn from those inside lessons and improve and be better. You have to own it. You have to own the fails, you have to own the situations. You have to own that you sleep in the bed.
Speaker 1: You make and that's how you learn from that. If you blame somebody else, you lose it.
Speaker 2: And so my job is every day is remind everybody and myself that everything that happens to you in life, you have to own it so we can use it to improve from it. I always often say, like the pain of a loss is it's tough, it's hard, but it's there to help you grow. It's no different than the pain from a physical wound, right scabs, you have pain, you want to make the pain go away. Well, the inside pain from a loss or a failure, it's there so you can grow from it. You want to make it go away. The only way to make it go away is continue to learn from and grow from it and use it. And so I don't want to lose some of those negative experiences. Yes, not making a playoffs, there's one, but there's plenty of them in our past. There's ones that we all have as individuals and some of these that we have as a team in a program.
Speaker 1: But I want to use them to make us better. That's it. You can't do anything about last year. All you can do with it is weaponize it for this year. I can easily see him win in the national title this year. But the thing about it is he's in no rush to leave, which is refreshing. He had an opport unity last year. He's been very transparent about that, which I appreciate. He's going to have opportunities that's not going away. I think Notre Dame one of the one of the most under appreciated aspects of what's happening there is he's given Notre Dame everything he's got. Notre Dame's given him everything they're willing to give to and full credit to Notre Dame, they have bent over as backwards as Notre Dame's going to on things like academic calendar at missions. Again, it's not going to be a diploma mill. But like Notre Dame has been pretty rigid about this sort of thing in the past, and maybe just maybe they've shaved the corners and the edges of the rigidity off a little bit. That's good. It needs to be mutual, and that's absolutely I think the situation. That's one of the reasons why it's like a whole new frontier up there. Certain things out of Notre Dame's control have changed to their benefit, and then the things within Notre Dame's control they're also changing to their benefit. But he gets it, they get it. I don't know in my lifetime that there's ever been a better period to be a Notre Dame fan over the next five years than where we sit right now. So that's the truth about Marcus Freeman. A few years ago. There's so much good news in the stack of papers tonight. Few years ago, we were starting to get some attention from brands that wanted to advertise on the show, and I just said no to most of them because what they wanted to do is they wanted to purchase some time, and they wanted to put a piece of paper in my hand and read this forty five second ad read And I thought to myself, when that stuff happens on shows I listened to, I just fast forward, and so I'd rather just not have that kind of partnership. But I did say, if you guys want to be unique, and you guys want to integrate yourself fully into the show where there's no separating us in you, we'll talk. Then gas Station Recruiting Wars happened, and if you're new around here, I think it's time to refresh your memory. It's just I wanted to set the tone for what partnering with our show was going to be. We really embed brands. We don't get in bed with many of them, but the ones we do partner with, we partner with and there is no separation between your brand and this show. And we had gas Station Recruiting Wars because I thought we had three of them that were really picking up what we were putting down. And so we did exactly what it sounds like we did. We sort of had a reverse recruitment where we allowed these massive companies to recruit us because truthfully, we had like three of them that wanted to be on the show. And I went through an entire recruitment, met with each team, and then it came time decision day. And I don't know how it's to explain it. I'm going to show it to you here's what it ended up looking like when I committed to conclude gas station recruiting wars. Okay, Josh, hear me, Hey, hey, quite that shut up? Yeah, I can hear you. I can hear you. Okay. This has been one of the wildest recruitments that I personally can remember in the modern era. Knowing you like I think I do, this cannot have been easy for you. It hasn't been easy, Josh, it has not been easy. In fact, this is one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. I haven't lived a very hard life. You know, I got to thank God. I got to thank my family. I got to think racetrack and quick Trip and pilot flying Jay and loves for even making this possible. You know, we wouldn't be here today without them. It's amazing to be recruiting. This is just amazing to be able to be in a position to give everyone gas this fall. If we can give everyone gas this fall, then our mission has been accomplished. You know, I couldn't have said it better myself. You've always had a way with words. I appreciate that about you. Okay, moment of truth. Someone's life's about to change. Who's it going to be. It's a big moment. We've waited a long time. I got four really great companies here in front of me. It's Quick Trip. We're going with Quick Trip. It's Quick Trip. Well, Misty, I get emotional thinking about it, Jesse. Quick Trip is back. That's the whole reason I teed that up and I showed it to you. Quick Trip is back for another season, like they ever left, like there was ever a doubt here. We just need to update the graphic basically, so we're gonna be on the road a whole lot this fall. Quick Trip is there. They've been with us every step of the way. I am still talking to Quick Trip Joe about what we can do about fully function and Colebrew machines, mainly because I want one in the studio. There's some codes and regulations that we're trying to get around, and who knows how much red tape there is on that. But Quick Trip is back. We are happy that they're back because they get it. They get it, and we appreciate it. Jamison in Knoxville, Tennessee, can you tell me what's happening with the Senate bill? First, everyone's saying it won't happen. Now, maybe it will. I need you to weigh in. Yeah, So here's what I'm going to say about this. My calculus on this is when something major changes, I'll be willing to do a segment on it on the show. Now. I know over the past week a lot feels like it changed, but it really didn't for me because I expected the SEC and the Big ten to come around on this, and I expected this thing to get on the floor of the Senate, and I expected it to pass the Senate. I told you this months ago. Nothing's changed in my mind. So I think it is going to pass the Senate. The challenge I will say, since they've pushed this thing to the eleventh hour, is make sure it gets on the floor. But I don't think they fought this hard not to get it on the floor. And I think it'll pass, and I think it'll pass comfortably, like seventy five plus votes comfortably. It needs sixty. I've always thought that and I still think that, And if it does that, I think there'll be immense pressure on the House. And so my best guess is still that it passes. Apparently I'm still in the minority on that, but I think it'll pass. If something changes, that's when I'll do a segment on it. But frankly, this is not May anymore. Okay, we're not eating up precious time on this show talking about a Senate bill that frankly, should have already been wrapped up one way or the other. I want to talk about college football. So it's here. I mean, we're looking at I'm looking at the board right now. Actually now I'm looking at the board over here on fandel The futures market is incredible. We've got games of the year over on FanDuel right now. You've got whether or not teams make the playoff. You've got highsman, you got all this stuff. I want to put a time out on all that none in order to remind you guys, as a lot of you start to refresh your accounts, start to replenish your accounts this year, you put deposits in there. We have a partnership with FanDuel where I entered into it with them and I said, you're going to have to give me some rope to do some responsible gaming stuff every now and then. So tonight's one of those nights. There's been some stuff just in the past six months in college football, where we've had really uncomfortable conversations and really uncomfortable headlines related to, in this case, illegal sports betting. But even if you're doing it legally, if you're not doing it responsible, you're setting yourself up for failure and maybe even worse. And I'm just begging you, guys, don't do that. Please don't do it. Please be responsible with this stuff. And here's how you can know if you're being responsible with it. If you have even the slightest question about whether or not you can afford to bet on a game, the answer is you can't, so don't. And I would also strongly encourage you guys, if you're on FanDuel, make sure you look at the my spend dashboard. It's a really good tool. I use it every week. It's a really good tool. It's no different than looking at your bank account. If you're halfway responsible financially, you're looking at that every time. And if you see more cash coming out than going in, something's got to change. Something's got to change now in my bank account. That means something's got to change, or I'm in trouble in this world. It means you can just take a break. It means you can hit the brake pedal. So I don't want you guys getting in that situation. So please make sure you understand the difference between entertainment and desperation, the difference between the entertain the entertaining nature of this and the addictive nature of this. And don't skirt the line. That's like rule number one about any kind of matters along these lines that we talk about on this show. We have fun with it, and you can have fun with it. Please have fun with it, please be responsible with it. Sign up for FanDuel at FanDuel dot com backslash CFB promotion must be twenty one plus and present in select states for Kansas in affiliation with Kansas Star Casino, or eighteen plus and present in Washington, DC. First online real money wager only ten dollars first deposit required. Bonus issued is non withdrawable bonus bet that expires seven days after receipt. Do you have a gambling problem? If so, call one eight hundred gambler or visitfanduel dot com. Backslash RG call one eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven, or visit CCPG dot org backslash chat in Connecticut, or visit MD gamblinghelp dot org. In Maryland, Hope is here. Visit gambling Helplinema dot org. Or call eight hundred three two seven fifty fifty for twenty four seven support in Massachusetts, or call one eight seven seven eight Hope, n Y. Or text h O P E n Y in New York. I wanted to wrap up tonight with this thing. I asked you guys a little while ago. I kind of said, if you had a time machine and you went to January and you kind of saw what was going to happen this year, and you came back to tell us, what do you think the craziest, most unbelievable thing is that you have seen in January in the future that you could come tell us and three of you submitted things and look again, last year, James Franklin got fired before Halloween, Indiana, went sixteen to oer and killed everybody, And so, yeah, there were some unbelievable things that happened last year that if you told people that, if you told people Brian Kelly was going to be out of a job before Halloween, like it would have been pretty unbelievable. He was a preseason top ten team. We got some here. Set who do you think is set Cet from Florida. One of his that he came back from January and told us about was John Summer all one coach of the Year and Florida was in the playoff and that is notable, very notable. If I guess if they get good lid a scrimmage play, anything's possible there because there's pretty much skill. I think obviously if this happens, that means the QBOC combo. That means bringing Buster Faultoner in and having an Aaron Filo who I assume started at quarterback in this scenario, having them there, it just immediately was a rocket ship. And then you got to ask yourself, well, if Florida made the playoff and some are all as coach of the year, who did they do it at the expense of I mean, they played Georgia in Atlanta inexplicably this year. You know that Jacksonville game's on hold for two years, so they had the opportunity to play a home at home. Naturally, like we do with every opportunity scheduling wise in college football, we screw that up and we're not going to play it in Athens in Gainesville, but rather Atlanta and Tampa. Awesome? So did John somerl beat Kirby in year one? Here did he beat Pete Golding and Old Miss? What did Florida do? Who is Florida victimized? I think John Somerral's got a Coach of the Year in his future at some point. Is it year one? Don't know? How about this one out of the three, I think this would be the most shocking. Will Hammond won the Heisman and Texas Tech won the national title. So I was talking to someone about the Texas Tech situation the other day and I said, you know, everyone's assumption is well, once Brendan Soresby's out of there, Texas Tech is beneath that of a title caliber team if they ever were won. But I remember last year, if I were to have told you Austin Simmons he'ing gonna be the guy for All Miss, you would have thought ol Miss was cooked. You wouldn't have even known who their backup quarterback was. It's not your fault. Half the teams on their schedule didn't know who Trinidad Chambliss was. But then Trinidad Chambliss happened, and it was the best thing that ever happened for all miss And my point is you could have never predicted that. So just cause it sounds crazy that Will Hammond takes Texas Tech further than, for instance, Baron Morton took him last year, maybe he's capable of taking him further than Brendan Soresby was going to take him this year. Just because that sounds crazy doesn't mean it's impossible. That's the entire nature of unpredictability. But Texas Tech went in the whole thing. Look, I'm not gonna shoot it down. There are no crazy predictions. But that would be back to back years of the most unbelievable college football stories that I've seen in my lifetime. We had Indiana last year win it all, which you could sell me on being the best story ever. And then you have Texas Tech lose the one key piece that we all thought they needed to get. They got to upgrade at quarterback. We all watched the Oregon playoff game. They got an upgrade at quarterback or they got no shot. Then the upgrade at quarterback. But then he's gone. And now Will Hammond, if he is healthy enough is going to be a guy probably is not good enough, and they'll probably be good enough to win the Big Twelve, but nothing more and whoops, wrong miscalculation. They just go win the whole thing. What a story that would be. I don't know if you think it would be good or bad for college football, indifferent, But if Texas Tech Jesse puts on the heel mask in spring and then they go win the whole thing. I don't like character arcs. I don't like talking like that in sporting terms, but Buddy, that would be one of the great heel runs in recent memory. And then lastly, Dustin said he just came back from January and Lincoln Riley, Florida State or so USC, Florida State, and Tennessee all have coaching changes. I assume he means they all got fired, but technically we have to leave room for something else to happen here. Tennessee would be crazy to me. I can see USC, I certainly see Florida State. What had to happen at Tennessee for Josh? Did Josh I believe did you just quit? Was there some extenuating circumstance? Was there scandal? Or did they just fire him? Now again, we're talking about crazy headlines here, and I will admit to you, certainly this time last year, if you said, hey, I've seen the future, you know James Franklin, Yeah, yeah, what about HM? Is he gonna win a national title? No? No, no, he's gonna get fired early in the year, by the way, no scandal, no anything, it's just not good enough. I would have said, you're crazy. I would have said there's a zero point one percent chance of that. And then if you said, oh, that's not all. Kelly's gone to Brian. Kelly's out too, I would have said, like zero point zero one percent. Yet it happened, So I guess technically it could happen. I just don't know how I feel so good about Tennessee in twenty twenty seven. Don't do it, guys, now USC Florida State. Florida State would just be Mike Norvel getting fired USC peculiar. Of course, there's a world where they go eight and four, seven and five and they're done with Lincoln could easily see that. Is there any world where he leaves? I don't know, because Dustin didn't tell us all that. Guys, that feel so good to be back I'm so happy. I ask you, I implore you do this one thing for us. Subscribe to the channel because it's free and it doesn't sign you up for anything. And tell every one of your friends who complain about lack of college football covers and there's no good shows to watch. Well, we do this one Sunday Tuesday Thursday, every single Sunday Tuesday Thursday from now until well into January. We're here. This is all we do. We're so happy to be back. We appreciate it. For a producer, Jesse, I mean, Prez had to be in studio today, Mitch has a huge task on his hands. Bradley is shockingly easy job today for technically related reasons, which will hopefully we'll have right to five Tuesday. But it doesn't matter to you. We're back. We appreciate it. Take care, We'll see you Tuesday night. Until then, God Bless.
Speaker 3: Must be twenty one plus and present in select states for Kansas in affiliation with Kansas Star Casino, or eighteen plus and present in DC first online real money wager only five dollars first deposit required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable bonus bets, which expires seven days after receipt. Restrictions apply. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem, call one eight hundred gambler, or visit FanDuel dot com slash RG call one eight eight eight seven eight nine seventy seven seventy seven, or visit CCPG dot org slash chat in Connecticut, or visit nd Gamblinghelp dot org in Maryland. Hope is here, visit gambling Heelplinema dot org, or call eight hundred three two seven fifty fifty for twenty four seven support in Massachusetts, or call one eight seven seven eight Hope n Y. Or text Hope n Y. In New York