Speaker 1: iHeart three d are the.
Speaker 2: For full exposure Listen with headphones.
Speaker 3: Havoctown is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Grimm and Mild from Aaron Mankey Headphones Recommended. Listener discretion advised.
Speaker 4: Should I get it.
Speaker 5: It can't be good news. You just can't let it ring.
Speaker 6: Hi, Coaren, h this is Barbara Horn.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just I uh just wanted to call you because you're as close to family as anyone here in town. To Jimbo and oh Courrin, Karen, he's gone. It was so awful, so so awful. At the end, they had him sedated, but he was so angry. It just cut through the haze and blood.
Speaker 6: What a mess, What a mess it all is. So anyway, he he'd want for you to know he he loved you like a daughter. I hope you knew that. Anyway. I'll be calling you in the next day or two to make arrangements. I'd i'd really like to do the reception at Dottie's. I know it may be too soon for you after Jonathan, but I'll call back. No corrint. I wish I could see its face one more time, just one.
Speaker 5: This is how tragedy unfolds in a small town unact, a bodle and swift echoes reverberate, the effects ripple outward, and then the talk begins.
Speaker 8: And so Tom and that crazy street preacher both got it. It's Raby's they're just not telling us. But what about Jim's sweating blood? Well, super rabys stella. I don't know. I'm not a doctor, but I had that a Chinese leg captain, said Bachmann, worked with the CIA for years.
Speaker 2: Heard it from a buddy at the State House. I'm telling you, it goes all the way up the ladder.
Speaker 3: I heard those CDC guys got to look at Jimbo's body and called up the National Guard like.
Speaker 5: That from who?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 5: Who'd you hear that from?
Speaker 2: My neighbor? This kid works up there at the hospital.
Speaker 9: Yeah, doctor, No, he works in the commissary.
Speaker 4: Oh shit, real inside man, you got there.
Speaker 2: You're being sarcastic.
Speaker 4: You know I have a stum as you look, Bill Reville, fine.
Speaker 5: And it spreads like wildfire, like an oil spill, like the plank.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 4: I need six draft ales, two bourbons, a Scotch and soda and a fernet for Bobby.
Speaker 5: Ugh, why Bobby?
Speaker 2: Who the hell.
Speaker 4: Knows takes like minty.
Speaker 5: Dirt to me, to each their own.
Speaker 4: Rumormell's grinding heart out.
Speaker 5: There, color me shocked. What do you hear?
Speaker 4: Rabies, government conspiracies, aliens.
Speaker 5: Wow, they're really playing the hits.
Speaker 4: No vampires shockingly not yet.
Speaker 5: Wow. Well, now I am shocked. Hold that thought, because there she was darkening my door. Sarah Beth Spalding, President of the Havoc Historical Society, real estate Maven, leader of countless history tours, most of which focused on the Great Vampire Panic, on the violence it spun on my family in particular.
Speaker 1: Miss Abbys.
Speaker 5: Miss Abbys, you must be here on business.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't normally walk into bars. Well this one, I suppose. I I suppose I'm not welcome here.
Speaker 5: Oh, on the contrary, you're quite welcome. After all, your stories have driven more than a few curious tourists in here. No matter how much I hate it, You're good for business. Oh you aren't welcome in my home, of course, God damn. What can I help you with, Sarabeth?
Speaker 1: Well, I know that this place is popular in town, I'd like to think so. I know that everyone from the police chief to the mayor to the trash men hang out in here. That is true that if there's scuttle butt to be found, you can find it here.
Speaker 5: There is a very good chance that you're right. Uh huh.
Speaker 1: It's just all very central.
Speaker 5: Is there something you need, Sarabeth.
Speaker 1: I was just I was wondering if out with it.
Speaker 8: I was wondering if.
Speaker 5: You knew anything about what the CDC. I'm afraid my connections don't go that high.
Speaker 1: I meant, if you knew anything of mister Havoc.
Speaker 5: Well, why would I? Because you've been.
Speaker 1: Seen together a couple of times. He came in here. He saved your life.
Speaker 5: What is it you're looking for?
Speaker 8: It's I have a.
Speaker 1: Child, Krin Heather, and what is happening here is terrifying, but not unprecedented. I was wondering if you had seen anything odd. This isn't a joke.
Speaker 5: I know, I know. Sorry, you just you've caught me off guard here. I know that it has to be terrifying to have a child during this sort of thing.
Speaker 1: I'm beside myself. I pride myself on being very logical in the face of historic moments. I study the evidence and make my decisions.
Speaker 8: But what is happening is heus?
Speaker 1: Yes, and I don't know what to do besides lock myself and Heather away.
Speaker 5: But what does jury Havoc have to do with this.
Speaker 1: The disease came with him at least at the same time, but like I did before with his great great great grandfather, and it seemed to go when he did.
Speaker 5: And you've come because it was an abbess who drove him out. And according to your history tours, the mad preacher was you know, mad.
Speaker 1: I know I'm a hypocrite. You're just the only person I know who's spoken to him. I'm sorry, I'm not being rational. I live next door to Tom Stabanaugh lived. Oh honey, Heather was home when it all happened.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I had no idea. Sylvia, get Sarabeth a drink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, everything is just happening so fast. I'm just looking for any explanation.
Speaker 5: Of course, you are well. I'm sorry to say that I haven't really had much in the way of a conversation with Jerry Havoc. Of course, I do have some things I want to ask him about his family.
Speaker 2: Hey, Corinn, turn around the TV. They're talking about us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, hold on, Sarabath.
Speaker 10: Returned to Havoc tonight, where two separate attacks have been reported in the last two weeks, and an outbreak of a mysterious illness has been reported. We now go to a press conference from Havoc Memorial Hospital already in progress and.
Speaker 11: We have secured the area. Anyone who has any more information on the matter, please call our hotline. I'll have the number passed on to local news organizations. I'm now going to hand it over to the Deputy Director of Infectious Diseases at the CDC, doctor Andrew Bradley, who will be talking to us about the precautionary measures concerning this.
Speaker 12: Doctor Bradley, yes, hello, as Colonel Harbor said, I'm Andrew Bradley. I'm the Deputy Director of Infectious Disease. I report directly to the Director. There is a lot of new information coming down the pike at US currently, and we spoke earlier of the infection of patient zero. I want to first announce that we currently are showing no immediate new cases of this disease besides those already reported. But if you are showing symptoms including but not at all inclusive to fever, cough, lightheadedness, mood, instability or traces of blood in mucous spits, tears, urine, feces, or sweat, to please report to the local medical center here in Havoc immediately so as to halt.
Speaker 3: Any further spread.
Speaker 12: We're currently hoping that by self reporting we can keep this under control.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 12: As for other mitigation methods, we are asking people to social distance, that's keeping ten feet from each other when possible, wearing a mask, indoors when you cannot, and staying home unless absolutely necessary. We also would ask that you try your best to wash hands after contact with other people and surfaces. These are precautionary measures that we would recommend with any infectious disease, but with so little current information, we think that Colonel Harbor, ladies and gentlemen, folks.
Speaker 13: Folks, we're putting this hospital on lockdown for the moment.
Speaker 2: We're going to ask you to please sit tight. Colonel Harbor, what's going on?
Speaker 13: I do not have enough information at this moment to be able to answer that question fully. At this time, there will be no entry or exit into this hospital except in the case of medical emergency.
Speaker 8: Apologies.
Speaker 10: There are folks, seems that they have cut the feed that was a joint press conference between the New Hampshire National Guard and the CDC, which seems to have been interrupted by a lockdown of the hospital. More on this story as it develops. In related news, CEO of Havoc Industries Jury Havoc the fourteenth has recently begun operations in the Havoc township, with plans to announce new construction in the coming weeks. When reached for common about the plants and how they may be impacted by the disease, a representative from mister Havoc declined to provide an answer.
Speaker 1: In international news, North Korea has reportedly launched another missile over the Sea of Japan.
Speaker 5: Shit, well, all right, folks, on the advice of the CDC, we're closing down early. We'll probably stay closed for the next few days.
Speaker 2: Ah, come on, Karen.
Speaker 5: Don't give me shit. Phil, I'm trying to keep you alive. Dead men, don't drink. You don't know that, all right, last call after that, you're on your own.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, jeb Ronie's line up here for orders.
Speaker 1: He must know something, Sarahbeth.
Speaker 5: Unless he's an epidemiologist, I just doubt that very much. Okay, I've got to take orders.
Speaker 8: What could it hurt to ask?
Speaker 1: I know it's a long shot, and I know that you have no reason to do me any favors.
Speaker 4: What could it hurt? Please?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'll speak with him about it. Okay, thank you, Krien.
Speaker 1: I promise I'll be a better friend to you.
Speaker 5: Maybe start with being a little lessian enemy and we'll go from there.
Speaker 1: Of course, Yes, thank you.
Speaker 5: A brief, blessed break in the chaos around us. My grandfather always said that there was nothing quite so sacred as a quiet bar at the end of a long work day, said that the Holy Ghost was among the spirits. Always laughed at his own joke. But there's something there. I think. My father was certainly an accolade of this church, and raised me up to be one as well. And I keep the faith still all these years later, even though I may be the only one left at the end of the long line of fervent abbots and abbesses. Not, of course, thought I worship alone.
Speaker 4: H hell of a day, don't you think?
Speaker 5: Certainly busy? When do you head up to Jerry's straightway? Really? Why?
Speaker 4: I just thought, maybe you dress up?
Speaker 6: You know what?
Speaker 4: No, now you look great?
Speaker 14: Just yea a little dishovel.
Speaker 5: Maybe, well, this is how I always look.
Speaker 4: Well, at least he knows what he's gonna get. Yeah, you're gonna talk to him for Sarah Beth.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, I know it's absolutely insane, but something is just nagging at me. I mean, the sickness de Marius's diary, the timing of him showing up in town. Even Sarah Beth, who spent her whole life painting my family as a bunch of superstitious weirdos, is shaken by this. I mean, for her to ask me for help.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's wild, a sign of the end times, the Seventh Seal broken.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'd better head over.
Speaker 4: I am so excited and jealous. I mean mostly excited. No, no, mostly jealous.
Speaker 5: Okay, he's just dinner, and I'm gonna make it weird, I'm sure by pumping him for information.
Speaker 4: Pitchposh.
Speaker 5: I will see you to mo sorrow bullshit.
Speaker 4: You will call me tonight.
Speaker 5: Have a good night, Sylvie, call me evening. Drive through a ghost town. Even in small places like this, there are the telltale signs of everyday life. Kids playing in the yard, people out gardening or walking having a chat. The stillness was eerie, and only occasionally broken up as I drove to to have a place by emergency workers entering a neighbor's house. A National Guard humvy slowly rolling up a side street, horribly out of place. This wasn't a peaceful quo. The foreboding mood wasn't softened by pulling into the Havoc drive. There. It was just up the hill, a monolithic sort of thing. Workmen had been here and painted it a stark white so that it stood out against the brown grass at the hillside. Three floors of tall windows framed with black shutters, like empty sockets, staring out across all of Havoc, New Hampshire, as if surveying its domain. The steep steps leading up from the drive to the front door did not soften the place at all. Instead, it reminded me how far up I'd already come, and how much further I'd have to climb. And then the heavy oak door was in front of me, painted black, of course, with a massive doorknocker boot in the shape of a bear with a large brass ring stuck in its mouth. I could imagine it turning into Jacob Marley, ready to warn me off my greed. Well, here goes nothing. Hello, I'm looking for Jerry Havoc.
Speaker 9: Yes, miss Abbitts, I'm Hobson. I work for mister Havoc. Please come.
Speaker 5: Inside. Was a little warmer, dark wooden floors and dim lights, and Hobson tall and thin, wispy gray hair oiled to his skull. He studied me for a moment from under his heavy eyelids.
Speaker 9: Before mister Havoc is on a call. He asked for me to sit you in the parlor.
Speaker 5: The parlor this way? Is this a bad time?
Speaker 9: Mister Havoc is on a business call, but it's looking forward to your meeting. Would you like refreshments? Coffee, tea? We have an excellent wine.
Speaker 5: Sep oh, that's not necessary, as you wish.
Speaker 9: Mister Havoc will be with you shortly. If you happen to need anything, I'll be in the study upstairs. Just ring the bell here sure, thanks, please sit.
Speaker 5: Not the warmest welcome. The parlor was like walking into a museum, the blue gray evening light coming through the tall window, little well appointed room, a room that whispered of old money. A harpsichord in the corner, ancient but dust free paintings on the walls rivers through European cities, pastorals of sheep with the backdrop of steep, craggy mountains, and there, above a high mantle, a portrait a delicate woman with pale blue eyes, white blonde hair piled atop her head in great ringlets. She wore a gown of crimson against a dark backdrop. The light in the painting fell across her face in such a way that it cast shadows about her, but it caught her eyes just so. They burned brightly, like winter sun hitting the surface of an icy pond and reflecting back too brightly. The effect was hypnotizing. She was magnificent, soft and still, but with a terrible sort of vibrance, like she could reach out through the painting and touch you with her white fingers.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Jesus?
Speaker 2: Oh God, I didn't mean to.
Speaker 5: Uh, you scared the shit out of me.
Speaker 2: Occupational hazard. Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I didn't I didn't hear you come in. I was well, I was transfixed. This painting is gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Oh yes. Jacques Louis David eighteen fourteen, he painted the Coronation of Napoleon. Oh, and the death of Socrates. Wow, don't worry, you know, because I looked him up.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank you. I've never heard of him.
Speaker 2: He was apparently a big deal.
Speaker 5: So who's this.
Speaker 2: This would be my great great great et cetera, grandfather's first.
Speaker 5: Wife, Sophia. Yes, who my great et cetera grandfather murdered. Yes, sorry about that.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't have to rehash the past, do we. Let's go and sit in my office, Shally, this room belongs to a dead woman.
Speaker 5: Sounds good. I hope everything's okay, or that this isn't interrupting important business. I mean, we could have pushed this to another day.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. No, like I really wanted to get to know you better.
Speaker 5: Oh, you just seem pretty heated on the phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the governor's an idiot.
Speaker 5: That's why you were arguing about the governor.
Speaker 2: I was arguing with the governor.
Speaker 5: Oh uh huh.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it. He's proposing a lockdown in the county just as we're getting started with the new project at Avoc Mills. We've already had a shit couple of years business wise, and.
Speaker 5: I've heard about the congressional testimony.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I said, as soon as we make aware of labor violations, well things changed.
Speaker 5: I believe you.
Speaker 2: This lockdown could cost me a lot of money, depending, of course, on how long it lasts. Please right in here.
Speaker 5: Holy shit, this is this is more a library than an office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it is.
Speaker 5: Is this giant desk where you do your business?
Speaker 2: Where I attended? At least?
Speaker 5: Where do you find a space? It's chaos? What are these ledgers?
Speaker 2: They are?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: They're like computer programs that do the same thing and save the clutter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we use them, We use them. It's just a more old school tactile. I like to see it all in front of me.
Speaker 5: Some of these look like they go way back. I mean, this one looks older than the Bible.
Speaker 2: The hell man, Sorry, I'm so sorry that it's just that one's really fragile. It shouldn't really be back there at all.
Speaker 5: Well, there's no need to scold.
Speaker 2: I'm an adult, I said, I'm sorry. I'm under an awful lot of stress right now.
Speaker 5: That's fine, that's fine. I don't let the drunks of the bar talk to me that way. And I know them a hell of a lot better than I know you.
Speaker 2: We don't seem to be able to get on the right footeing dew We.
Speaker 5: No, we can't. And you know what, I get it. The stress lockdown would screw my place up pretty badly too. I'm sure with the CDC involved, things will return the nomal pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Right, I honestly don't know. I'm pretty livid. I thought he was pro business.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm no fan of SNUNA, but I'm sure he's also pro keeping his constituents alive.
Speaker 2: Who knows? So let's not talk about business. What should we talk about?
Speaker 5: Well, I'd like to rehash the past? Neat Well, it's just that I recently discovered the diary of Tameris Abbas.
Speaker 2: I'm familiar with it. Oh well, yes, my great great etcetera, et cetera grandfather was the one who found it.
Speaker 5: Actually I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not common knowledge. He made sure that it wasn't entered into the record of events.
Speaker 5: Hmm. That's sort of what I'm here to ask about. Not vamporism, No, I mean, what happened with your family after everything?
Speaker 2: After the good Reverend Abbis murdered his son, he marched up the hill to this very house and banged on the door in the middle of the night. Then he murdered Jury Havoc, the Eighth's wife, Sophia, whose portrait you were so taken with. And after that he went and hung himself in the church, leaving no note.
Speaker 5: Well that's not entirely true. What we did a letter to his grandson.
Speaker 2: Did it explain what happened?
Speaker 5: Uh? No, No, just told them that the vampires were going to be their responsibility in the future and apologizing for their mother's death.
Speaker 2: Hmm, Shane bat to Mars, another innocent Yeah, well, let me tell you something. Even in his grief and Sophia's loss, my ancestor felt an obligation to heal the wounds habits left. The current town hall was funded by him. He gave generously to the church and found someone new to lead the congregation, all of which led to the population renaming the town after him. But apparently the the sorrow was too much, and so he returned to London, where he met his second wife.
Speaker 5: Martha, which I suppose was lucky for you. How so, otherwise you wouldn't have been born.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I guess you got a point there. Well, the two of them begat and so did that child on down the line. And here I am, and here you are too. So I guess all wounds do heal.
Speaker 5: For the most part, the uh ABBA's name is still synonymous with murder and madness, though none of us has harmed a fly since that plague of eighteen seventeen.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a shame, honestly, It's funny, isn't it that the disease which abliged the town dissipated into the ether when the man hung himself.
Speaker 5: Are you suggesting that he was responsible?
Speaker 2: Of course not. No, I'm just I'm just saying it's a it's funny in a in a nasty kind of way.
Speaker 5: Hmmm. I mean you could also say that it ended when your grandfather laughed and started right back up the week I Havoc.
Speaker 2: Returned, Miss Ames, Are you accusing me of vamporism?
Speaker 5: I no, of course not. I'm you're fucking with me.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It was just too perfect. But yes, I'm more than aware of the bad timing. It's coming out of the work. It's almost too perfect, isn't it.
Speaker 5: I mean, perspective people have died.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, yes, I'm sorry, and you know one of them two right again? I'm sorry, yes, Hobson.
Speaker 9: I apologize for the interruption. Glenn Morrison is on the line.
Speaker 2: Tell him I'll call him back.
Speaker 9: It's urgent, he says.
Speaker 2: I apologize. I've really got to take this call. I shouldn't be long, but it may be a bit. I do have someone preparing a meal. It'd be a shame to waste it.
Speaker 5: You know, we really can rain check it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I feel bad.
Speaker 5: It's absolutely all right. Everything has been chaos, and you know I really could use some quiet time anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, can we please meet up again soon?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 2: When's good.
Speaker 5: I'm at the bar most evenings, so whenever.
Speaker 2: I'd love to see that letter from Jasara Abbess really really bury the hatchet.
Speaker 5: Sure, i'll call you.
Speaker 2: I'll be waiting, hey, and be careful out there. Shit is crazy.
Speaker 5: It was already dark when I got back in the car and made my way down the hill. Havoc, the man shouting into the phone behind me.
Speaker 2: Havoc.
Speaker 5: The town turning on their porch lights below me, huddling safely inside their homes, a ghost town now, the only sign of life. The blue light of the TV, flickering in windows, watching the news for signs of the end, my own house shrouded in darkness. As I pulled up and got out, I was turning the conversation with a jury over in my head, the weird defensiveness, though I imagine I exude the same when people ask about my family, and I said, from his end, the whispers of vampirism that haunt this town or a little grating. I was so busy thinking about these things that I didn't notice the figure on the front porch until it spoken, who's there? Hello?
Speaker 14: No, no, Hello, it's You're You're dead. They they, they said you were dead.
Speaker 5: I was, I'm not now, Jesus, Jimbo, Can I come in?
Speaker 3: Havoctown was created by me Aaron Mayky. The show was written and directed by Nicholas Tukowski. This episode was edited and sound designed by Ben Hackett. Starring Jewels State as Corene Abbas, James Callus as Jerry Havoc, Felicia Day as Sylvie Harris, Robin Bludworth as Jimbo Horn, David Calhoun as Jonathan abbas Summer rain Menkey as Barbara Horn, Gina Rikikey as Sarah Beth Spalding, with additional voice acting from David Caprita, Kanisha Johnson, Gabriel Menak, Julian Graham, Eric Tdy, Sasha Hatfield, Beverly Bremers, Jay Jones, Jonathan Baron, Stephen Manley, and Aaron Mankey. This season is directed by Nicholas Takoski, with assistant directors Sarah Klein and Jake Diamond, casting by Sunday Bowling CSA and Meg Mormon CSA. Production coordinator Wayna Calderon. Our theme song was created by Chris Childs executive producers Aaron Mankey, Trevor Young, and Matt Frederick, with supervising producer Rima L. Kala and producers Nomes Griffin and Jesse Funk. Havoctown is set in the Bridgewater Audio Universe, which includes the hit fiction podcasts Bridgewater and Consumed. Learn more about both shows, as well as Havoctown at grimandmild dot com, and find more podcasts from iHeartRadio by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.