Speaker 1: It's the Son of a Butch podcast. I'm your host, Claud Harmon. We come to every Wednesday. I figured this week, with all of the craziness going on in the world of golf, in the world of professional golf, and all of this talk of the PGA Tour, the PIF and live, we own Son of a Butch would get back to helping you improve your game. Ralph Bauer, Canadian teaching pro short game putting guru, works on the PGA Tour. He's worked with a number of different players. He has a new Green reading app. You find it in the app store. I think it's fantastic. I helped beta test it and I'm a huge fan of ralphs. I think he does really great work. But I'm always trying to find ways that all of you listening can get better and improve your game. Technology is a huge part of that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I think everybody that's got a smartphone iPhone you can really use this. We talk about how the app works, how he got started with the app, why he came up with it. But if you want to get better at your golf, if you want your scores to improve, one of the easiest low hanging fruits that you can have is to learn how to read greens better. If you can read greens better, it will help you put better, It'll help your distance control, it'll help your speed control. So I been trying to get Ralph on the pod for a couple of months now. Our schedules finally merged and I figured with Nick Taylor winning the RBC Canadian Open on the PGA Tour, hooped a sixty five footer in a dramatic playoff against Tommy Fleetwood, big day for Canadian golf. So I figured we'd get Ralph on because Nick uses his app. So you will get a lot out of this. If you're struggling with green reading, you're going to want to listen to this one. Sit back and enjoy listening to Ralph Bauer. So my guest today is somebody that I've been trying to get on the pod for a while. We've been juggling schedules, Ralph Bower, Short Game Hutting Guru and Canadian So coming off of Nick Taylor's historic win, Ralph, I figured you've done some work with Nick Taylor.
Speaker 3: He uses the product. We're going to talk about your tour Red Green app. But just a quick one.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a day for Canadian golf, right, I mean, really since Mike Weir won the Masters in a playoff with Tommy Fleetwood he hoops it from sixty five?
Speaker 3: Was I sixty five seventy.
Speaker 1: Feet and fourth hole of a playoff hometown, you know, crowd everything.
Speaker 3: I mean, a really special day for Canadian golf.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, Yeah, it was. It was amazing. I mean, storybook ending. First of all, Tommy fleet was super popular up here. But you know, Keane has a won in seventy four years. I mean, Mike Weir his childhood. You know, Idols is sitting there having a beer watching the playoff, like you know, his buddy's Corey and and Adam were there watching and it was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And then in the celebration, I mean, in two thousand and eight, Jim Weathers he's worked with Chess Reevey. He runs out of the green and one of the Canadian Mounted policemen, one of the Mounties, knocks him down and actually really kind of injured Jim and it really had a huge effect on his life. And then you know Adam Hadwin's running on the green, you know, yeah, one of his fellow tour players Canadian and then Terry Tait office linebacker comes around the corner and some security guard takes him down.
Speaker 3: I mean the video, I mean so.
Speaker 1: Many different angles of that video, but I saw one today that was kind of white behind Adam's running up in slow motion, and all of a sudden, this security guard like drops that does the swim.
Speaker 3: Move from the NFL and takes Adam down. I thought.
Speaker 1: Adam's wife her tweet this morning epitomizes what a Canadian is. She said, you know, I just want to let everybody know that Adam's still alive.
Speaker 3: And in true Canadian.
Speaker 1: Fashion, he apologized to the security officer for running out on the green.
Speaker 3: You Canadians are the nicest people on the planet Earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate that he actually did apologize, and yeah, the whole thing was crazy. And you know, the two of them, Nick and Adam played like I played the same golf club growing up, so you know, for them to be you know, I liveing Mike, We're growing up and then you know, getting tackled and when it, you know, Caane opens on the eighteenth gree to front of Mike. It is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about so the Tour Read Green app which everybody can get, they can download and everything.
Speaker 3: Talk to me.
Speaker 1: About We'll talk about the app, but what was the impetus in trying to it? Because one of the things I've had some of the putting gurus on here, I mean phill Ken, you who I have a tremendous amount of respect for, you know, I think he's one of the best in the world talking about putting. But I've always said Ralph that I think we as instructors have taught putting in reverse. We teach mechanics first, and then we teach speed and green reading, and if I'm honest, we never.
Speaker 3: Really teach speed or green reading, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's something that the average golfer really really struggles with. First, before we get into why do you think golfers struggles so much with green reading?
Speaker 2: I think the main problem with that, The main thing people struggle with it is because they when they miss a pott. Let's say they're right hand player, they left the right pott, they miss it low, They're gonna blame their stroke cutcent the time, so they're not looking at the problem the right way, basically saying, hey, chances are is a misread right, and then they're learning how the green breaks. But we've been conditioned to think, oh, I pushed it, I pulled that one, and that's our two options, not I underread that, I overread that right. So I feel like if we could kind of flip that around and get people to think, hey, you know what, it was probably an under or overread. You know. I always tell people, let's get really good straight putts and then get let's get really good at reading greens right. So I feel like that's why we tend to not become great green readers.
Speaker 1: Do you think also the television plays a role in this, because every six or five or someone has for par that they miss. The announcers are so conditioned to say, okay, so if it's a left to right, if it's a left to right putt and the player misses it left, it's it's just part of I mean, I'm guilty of doing it right. I've done TV for Sky Sports in the UK for a number of years and stuffing. Your first reaction is okay, you're not down there right, you're watching it on TV. Yes, you kind of have an idea even if the en course reporter because okay, it's a little bit left to right, but as soon as he hits it, the announcers will say, he pulled it. If he missed it to right, he pushed it. Sometimes, like you said, it's just a it's it's nothing to do with the stroke. It's to do with green reading. And I think green reading and lack of green reading, wouldn't you agree ralph has such a massive effect on a player's speed and distance control undred percent.
Speaker 2: Like if you underread a putt, you always get it hard right, And if you overread a putt, you know you tend to have soft. So green reading and speed control all ties in, you know, you know, big time. Right. So, and I agree that the announcers, you know, tend to tend to say, you know, God blessing, they a tough job. Do you have to talk, you know, NonStop for quite a while, right they it's it's kind of black or white. You pushed it, you pulled it right. And there's a lot of nuances in putting. But but green readings, uh, you know, causes way more myth puts on the PGA tour. I've got stats, but you know it caused way more myth pots than PG Tour obviously from inside eight feet than a push or a pull.
Speaker 1: And I also think that every every now and again, someone on social will will post make percentages on the PGA Tour. And I always find that fascinating because most of the students that I teach and I work with that aren't. You know, tour players aren't competitive golfers. They're just recreational golfers. They're just trying to improve their game. They just want to get better. I think everybody is surprised when you actually give them the data of make person. I mean they look at a player, a PG Tour player, and he hits it to ten feet on a par three, and everybody thinks, oh, yeah, the PJ Tour make percentage from ten feet's got to be like eighty ninety percent and it's not even close to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. Like the fifty I was playing people, the fifty fifty it would break even for PG Tour player is seven ft ten inches.
Speaker 1: It's seven feet.
Speaker 2: You know, it hasn't really changed in decades. And you know, people think, like, if you took the average play from seven ft ten inches, how often is the PJ Tour a going to make this and the answers vary from seventy to ninety percent, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, without a doubt.
Speaker 2: I mean good for people that they're confident enough to think they're going to make that higher percentage, right, But you know, it's it's shocking how but then again, if if you look at that, it's also shocking how many times, like if you take a tour player, any good player in a controlled environment, they're going to start out well over ninety percent of their potts online with a proper speed where that's seven foot ten foot, you know that that eight footer should go in, right. So the difference really there is the green reading.
Speaker 1: So the idea was to come up with a way and use modern technology to come up with, you know, a way to read greens. Now I probably say, wouldn't you agree? In the last five to seven years, aim point has been has become part of everyday vernacular with players of all you know, skill levels, but specifically on the PGA's tour we see a lot of players. Adam Scott was one of the first early adopters for a really really good elite player, a global superstar to start doing kind of aim point and aim point express, but you decided to take that one step further and use technology to help train. Talk to me about the Tour Read Green app and what it is and how you think Ralph it can help players get better. I mean, you've had some some fantastic success this year, Tom Hogy, who's really over the last couple of years, Ralph has really kind of broken out. And Tom not necessarily a superstar, he's certainly not one of the elite bombers on the PGA tour, but in using the Green Reading app on his phone and through your help, he's really become one of the best players in the world. And he's being talked about having an opportunity, you know, to get on this US Ryder Cup team going to Rome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's been fun. And you know, Nick Taylor was one of the first people to use the app. Nick Taylor and matc Hugh's were the first two people that we baita tested it with and Nick uses it, you know every week, right, he loves it helps him with his green reads. I've got a lot of tour players using it. But you know, I'm gonna go back to something that that you taught me a few years ago. If I can klatte. So you taught me that, Hey, you know what you're talking to me about launch monitors and you said, Ralph, you got to get every person on lunchmar like launch matters are gold with beginners. Like really You're like yeah, yeah, Like and you talked about your daughter and you know members of the club who you know could instantly grasp things. You know, So you're using technology to help steep in the learning curve, right, And that's what we're trying to do do with this with this system. So it's it's super easy to use in the app store. Basically, what you do you it uses the internal clinometer like there's in your phone as a you know, a three sixty level. You put it on the ground, you input the length and the speed of the putt, and it tells you where to aim it right, And it's crazy how accurate it is. I mean, Forestights endorsed it. I mean I've I've had a bunch of companies and endorse it. You know, it's in the TPI store now it's it's it's awesome, right, So that's been fun. And now we've got a whole green reading training system built into it. So you can give this phone to a beginner or this app to a beginner, and they're gonna with the videos, with the training system that sets built into it, they're going to know how to in a very short order how to read greens, you know, very well in the golf course. So it's been a lot of fun for that. Like and then you know, you mentioned as an instructor the biggest challenge. Somebody comes for a lesson, half hour lesson, an hour lesson and they're like, okay, I need to pop better. So you work on their stroke for the first little bit, get their stroke dialed in right, and then with five minutes left they're like, oh, you know what, I don't know how to read greens either, right, And you're like and then you're like, I mean the old day if we would just tell people to trial and there, or we talk about water or you know, you know, race creek or you know, whatever we think we want we want to throw in there. But now we've got to just crazy easy system to you know, so people can recognize how how the slope and the speed affects it and then train that so you can use it on the golf course. Can awesome.
Speaker 1: I one of the things that I always say to player. I mean, I think it's a generalization, Ralph, And would you agree the majority of players, regardless of their level. I think golfers across the board, in my opinion, can consistently underread potts. Do we have an understanding as someone you know you're in depth in the putting world, do you have an idea or an understanding as to why that is?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Because I see it, Ralph, day in and day out, at the elite Tour level, at the elite amateur level, at the elite junior level, and then for all us regular golfers, why do you think we all tend to underread potts. You've got a fifteen foot pot and most players, if it's left to right or right to left, will tend to underread the pot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the elite players, PG tour players and very lead players I've tested on a left to right pott are going to be able to recognize seventy pen the slope. So if it's breaking ten inches, theren't think it's seven right. And on a right to lefter if it's gonna break ten inches, there and see it as eight and a half inches. So they're underreading or left righters by thirty percent, which is obviously you know a lot rights lefters by fifteen percent, which is again kind of crazy. I just don't think there's been effective way of training people on greenery. It's essentially trial and error, right, Like, probably the most effective way up to this right now was going up first thing in the morning and putting on dude, you know, greens with do on them.
Speaker 1: So you could see what the putt was doing. Yeah, like a shot tracer for putting.
Speaker 2: Yeah like, and probably that was the most effective way of doing this up till now. But you know, that's not for everybody, and it doesn't work for two or players because they cut the greens by you know, by the time I got it there. So that's it's just been a real challenge. I know. I can't tell you how many times I've been frustrated as a coach, you know, where I just felt like I couldn't help a player really get much better at green Like it was just such an archers task, right And I've had coaches say, well, I've got a system. Takes four years. I've got a system. It takes no No, nobody had four years like you know, we live in a society like if we can, you know, and I've had we can, we can train people. You know, it'd be great greeners now under a month. Right, So I've got a system. I've got this like eighty five plot system. If you go through this, if you had eighty five putts with my app, I guarantee you'll be a much better green rear.
Speaker 1: So the player puts the phone down. Okay, So is there a way I mean, one of the things that I do, you know, with all of my lessons is I went to home depot. I've got a measuring wheel that you can rock, that you can buy, so I can know how long a ten foot putt is a fifteen foot putt. So most people aren't going to have that. So is there a way that the listeners can say, okay, with my steps, how can I figure out what five feet is with what ten feet is, with what fifteen feet is, so that they have an idea of how far the putt is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. So what what I normally do is I'll take a putter. Most putters are thirty five inches right, roll it over three times, right, So that's going to be your ninth fotter pay set off a few times, and then you get good at pacing off a nine footer, if you know, and then DA looks drapt light out to a twelve or fifteen footer, right, So it's pretty easy to do. Takes no time. I feel like if somebody, you know, if you want to open up the health app in your iPhone, right, it'll tell you what your average pace of your length of your pace is. Right. That'll give you a good idea too. For most kind of you know, adults over five seven, it's kind of like a brisk walk, right, So it's kind of like, hey, I'm late for a meeting. I'm going to walk a little faster than normal, and that's gonna be about three feet, right, So that takes a little bit of time. The other challenge is is in the you know, because the system will tell you, hey, this is the twelve inches. Pups can break twelve inches, if pups can break six inches, broad can break eighteen inches. You know, people don't have a nun of yo's got a great idea of what you know eighteen inches looks like. So I always tell people, hey, like let's measure your foot and your head, head of your putter. You know, you're always gonna have your your golf shoot with you. And so if your shoes afoot and your potter, the head of your potter's four inches, you got some good guides to kind of go on, so you don't need to bring a ruler out there. Like I applied the fact you've got a wheel with you. That's a great dee. I'm mean to go in tomorrow. I use a yard staff.
Speaker 1: But believe it or not, one of the reasons why I did that is, I think again, we're so conditioned as golfers off of television. Right. We watch golf on TV. And when you watch golf on TV, the TV distorts your vision. Right when it's really really dark, they can turn the irises up, so if somebody's playing and they're trying to get it in before darkness on TV, it'll look really really bright. But they're always saying on television, hey, it's much darker out there. We've just trying to brighten it up. But when a player hits it to ten fifteen feet, that distance on TV is very different than the distance it looks in person. Right, So the reason why I got the measuring wheel, especially with junior golfers and high school golfers trying to play. I said, listen, I just I'm going to roll this out. You tell me how far you think this is. And I have been really surprised at how people struggle to know what a ten footer is, what a fifteen footer is. They think the distance is different than what the actual distance is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And you know, not to date myself, but you know, when I grew up, we had to pace off all of our yardages. So we would start the two hundred practice from the two hundred one fifty, you know, would get good, really really good at it. So we had an awareness of it. So so now you know, if you do want to know what a three what a nine footer is compared to a twelve footer, it does take five minutes of practice. You know, take your putter, your part of thirty five inches, roll it over a few times, practice that once in a while for a few minutes, and you know you'll be fine. If you've got a laser, you could conceivably laser, you know, see how far a putt is and then paste it off. But that seems like overkill.
Speaker 1: Wanted to take a moment and think our partner at rap Sodo. If you've been listening to the pod, you know that I'm a big fan of their launch monitors, and I really like the MLM. It utilizes Doppler radar, so you can use it with your iPhone or your iPad. And the thing I like about this it's under three hundred dollars, right, So a lot of the launch monitor technology out there a little bit more expensive, and I think launch monitor technology is getting cheaper and cheaper because different companies like Rhapsoda are saying, Okay, how can we help the regular golfers. Yes, if you've got thousands upon thousands of dollars, there are different models you can buy. You see them on tour. But for the everyday golfer that's just trying to get better, you're gonna get remarkable accuracy. You can use this indoor or outdoor. It's portable. And the cool thing is so the shot traso that we're used to seeing on TV behind all the players shows you the shape of the shot. The MLM has that has performance combines, and again, as I mentioned earlier, under three hundred dollars, I just think, if you're trying to get better at your golf, having this type of technology for this price allows you to look at a lot of the same numbers that the best players in the world are looking at. So obviously I work with players that are winning majors, winning tournaments, play all over the world. But when I'm not on tour, I work with regular everyday golfers and I'm always trying to figure out ways that they can get better. And I think for under three hundred dollars, you can use it with your iPhone. It doesn't really take that much to set up. It's simple to use, and you're going to get really really good feedback and you're going to understand your numbers better. They've reacted my promo code just for listeners. Use promo code CH three for fifty dollars off the MLM plus the Premiere Membership Bundle. The membership unlocks combines as well as session insights, slow motion replay, and video storage up to ten thousand videos. So again, the promo code is CH three for fifty dollars off the MLM Launch Monitor plus the Premium Membership Bundle. Rapisoda is making fantastic products I'm a huge fan. Check them out. They can help you with your game. So the app uses the phones internal kind of workings and GPS and everything. And then so how does the player then start to match the speed with the line?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's a great question. So what what what the The app uses the clinomb like like the the the like the clinometer you know in the in the in the phone you have to put on the ground. It gives you the information and then there's a whole trains that built in there that the next step is it'll give you the read like the role. It'll give you the like two percent right to left, one percent uphill, and then you have to guess you know how much you're gonna break. Click on the button and it'll give you the answer. And then the system is based on twelve inches past speed. Right. So I've had some tour players like, oh I look at it, you know six I hit it? You know two feet pass. I've had two players I like, hit two f pass. I'm not going to change the app for you because it's not gonna work like hitting two feet pass A great idea on a six footter, like I don't think you actually do that well.
Speaker 1: Then then then Brooks kept has got no chance to use this because if it's six feet and Brooks isn't making it, he's probably got four or five feet coming back.
Speaker 2: Brooks is just a good putter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I also think Ralph, it's important for the listeners to realize that, I think everybody thinks they're supposed to be a Ben Crenshaw diet in the hole on the Last Revolution type putter. So two players that I work with, Dustin Johnson. DJ is like that. DJ likes to see the ball just die in. So if I was going to make a criticism in AJ, his brother, his caddy and I always do it. If we were to criticize DJ from a putting standpoint, DJ tends to leave putts short. If I was going to criticize Brooks, Brooks sometimes is so aggressive that if he's got ten feet, he might have five feet coming back if he misses it. And it's funny they hate playing with each other in the Ryder Cup when it's alternate shot because we'll be in practice rounds Ralph and at some of the Ryder Cups before and DJ will have like a fifteen footer and he'll leave it short, and or Brooks will have a fifteen footer and he'll run it past five feet. So we were in France and DJ had like fifteen feet and he hit one. Or Brooks hit one from fifteen feet and ran it like five feet past, and DJ said, yo, don't be doing that on Friday, and Brooks said, hey, don't be laving at short when you have a chance to make it. So, how do you think is a good way that everyone listening can figure out? What type of But because there's nothing wrong with being an aggressive putter, right, you can be successful with being an aggressive putter, and then you can be accessible with having unbelievable die in the whole speed control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those two are obviously, I mean, I mean, Brooks just want a fifth major, like it's you obviously can't criticize that if you're building a player from the ground up, though, you'd probably tell them twelve inch past speed is a good you know, is a good way? The safe zone passage, Yeah, you know, because then like it, you know, statistically, if we're leaving pots inside ten feet short very often, I mean, obviously we're though those are all missed opportunities to make the put right, and if a pretty him too hard the cap with that capture speed, the hole gets so small that it's it's aggressive, but the hole gets so small that it's hard to make a lot of them too, right, So twelve inches past is it's kind of a nice number. We we did a bunch of studies on and that's pretty close to what you'd want Sebby to do, you know, starting from scratch. And then you know, I even dust and sometimes sometimes I feel like we do get were we see those one pots that they dying in to win something, and you know, and we think that's how they hit hit them all the time. And I know you've watched Dustin play great on Sundays and you know the greens tend to get faster on Sundays, right, And being a die putter on a Sunday is probably a better idea than being a die putter at your club, you know, on a Tuesday, right, or or even for for Dustin on a Thursday, he's got eight foot or up hill, right, it's probably gonna be different than than it would be on a Sunday. Right. So those guys are great, They've got so much experience, are great A recognizing it, and we have had some good success with players tweaking small things at that level. Right. But the system really we designed kind of like you you mentioned for beginners and for average people, you know, to get to steep in the learning curve and uh and and do it that way. I have had a bunch of tour players who will use it to they'll say, rough, I like to use it. Andrew Putnam told me this because I just like to use it because I get I get to speed the greens down much quicker, and I can see the lines. I know where the break is, and I can see the lines on different speeds because every week's different speed. And it's helped him with with with that. Just I like the fact that different coaches, different players use it for different reasons. Right. So that's been been a lot of fun having I had so many great coaches who are using it now and it's been fun to tell them tell me how how they even using it.
Speaker 1: And you just had two of the universities that that that have bought in and use your app. We just had him on the podcast, J C. Deacon, the head coach at the University of Florida. They just won the men's National championship former, I mean fellow Canuck just like you. So obviously, if a Canadian is going to invent something, you know, from a golf standpoint, I mean J. C. Deacon, I mean he doesn't have a choice but to support the homeland and use it. And then the women's team at Wake Forest. So two national championship teams both using the app. Tell me how that relationship started and what gains you've seen with those two programs, both on the men's and the women's side.
Speaker 2: It's been fun working with some of the colleges. I was lucky enough to be able to spend a day with JC kind of going over it, and you know Jac, you know, they both won Coach of the Year. Jac did a obviously great job. And you know we went over green reading with Jac, like not just not just the app, but like where to stand, Like where did best ascertain the slope? Like some people like to straddle the line. I find the problem with straddling the line is, you know, you might feel the slope one way, but you're looking straight down. Anytime we're looking straight down something that's gonna look flat, So our eyes are giving us a different message and our feed are, you know, as I talked to JC about, because Jac, you have to think about he's reading, you know, a lot of the pots for his team, right like, he's out there reading potts. Him and Dudley are out there, you know, and Dudley's got, you know, obviously tremendous experience and played for Florida, And you know, I feel like Jac actually has got a bit of advantage we talking about grain because JAC grew up in a non grainy, you know, part of the world, and then has been working in a grainy part of the world. So he's kind of got got both of those and he had to learn how to adapt, whereas I feel like some people that grow up on grany green that's just their vibe and then they learn how to how to do that. But yeah, so j C, you know, and I learned some stuff from some tricks from JC about about reading grain too. But Jac, like you said, we're Canadian the universe Tannessee coach, you know, good friend of mine, Branda Webb. He jumped on board. His guys start putting better. Jac's like, well, well, well we can't have this. I wou't mean my guy's putting better right, I'll be honest with the way Forest coach ever really reached out to her. We've got like an online but she's she's one coach here twice. I feel like she's in when coach year again with the app or without the app. You know, she's just obviously a great coach, you know, with with a great team. She signed up for online program, took the online program, and uh, you know which which is which is cool too? I've I think I've got about twenty colleges now who's signed up which which has been fun? Like? And that kind of goes back to Brooks Dustin thing. If it's kind of easier to get a seventeen year old eighteen year olds, you know, to buy into something that's something that's already won. Uh, you know a lot of stuff you.
Speaker 1: Mentioned Grain and that is something that obviously at the elite tour level, both on the men's and the women's side, plays an enormous role in in putting and speed control and making pots or missing potts. For everyone listening, Ralph, what's the easiest way give us the grain for dummies kind of spiel on on how players listening can say, Okay, is there grain? In this pot. What are they should what should they be looking for? And how is that going to affect the putt?
Speaker 2: I think I think grain first of all. I think grain effect affects the pot for sure. Right, So if if you're looking at the at the color of the green, you know, if you're in Bermuda greens. Uh So, if you're you know, anywhere south of Tennessee and the United States, you know in the summertime, you're gonna be on Bermuda greens. You're gonna look for the color of the green. If the green seems darker, it's gonna be into you. If it's lighter, it's gonna be down grain. Right. And JC did a good job of showing me where he reads grain from. So he reads grain from above the like in between the ball and the hole. Yeah, you know, looking down at it so you can see he feels like he can see the color better that way. And I've been doing that actually makes a lot of sense. So you know, you look at the grain on a on the testing I've I've done on a ten foot pot, if you're a cross grain, it's gonna about add about another inch to your putt. Right, So that if you say, like, hey, do you want to real a quick rule of thumb? Yeah, you know, you know what I don't like. I don't like when people say, oh, it's cross grain, I need to add a little bit more. Our brain doesn't really work that way, Like you know, our brain wants an actual target to hit to right. So if it's cross grain, another inch for every ten feet, if you got a thirty foot air its can go three inches right. It's got twenty first three two inches. So that's kind of an easy way of doing it. Quick sales pitch on the app. The app gives you like normalized data, so it tells exactly what you can do without the grain. But if it breaks more than that, that's how much the grain effect of it.
Speaker 1: So again I think a lot of people don't understand or aren't really kind of you know, thinking about it. If it's down grain, it's going to be faster if it's into the grain. So it's a little bit like a carpet. So if you brush the carpet one way, it's going to look shiny, and if you rub it the other way, it's going to look duller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just debscribed it better than I did, so let's go with the carpet analogy. For sure. I'm gonna use that one too.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know these aren't free, So I mean, I've got venmo if you want me to keep doing this speed control. I mean, there are a lot of things in golf that I think people don't practice because it's boring, right, And it's easier to go If you go out and you have thirty five potts and you have a bunch of three pots, it's easier to go try and work mechanics from five feet than it is to go putt one ball and put thirty footers, twenty footers, fifteen footers, all that in my instruction, Ralph, I think stroke mechanics are always the control. All delete right, you have a putting day, it's got to be stroke mechanics, distance control. What are some ways that everybody listening can get better, even if they're green. Reading is a work in progress. But what are some drills and some things that you've come up with that will help players with speed and with distance control?
Speaker 2: So I'm glad you asked that. So you know what, when we built the app, my initial idea was to do the get you know, put the phone down, get all the physics and then find out where the ball is going to enter the hole. Right, So if we've got a fifteen footer, we want to know the break, but then we have to we need to speed right, So the line's useless without the proper speed, so we have to match line speed. So if we could think certain thinks about where the ball is going to enter the hole, So that should be our last thought. You know, before we step into the pot, we know where it started and we know where it's going to enter the hole. So if you've got a right to left here, you're thinking, okay, it can enter six thirty seven o'clock, seven thirty eight o'clock, so you know, eight o'clock be pretty severe breaking pot. You know, six thirty be you know, very very minimal break. Right, And if we could think more about how the balls entering the hole, our speed control will get better, right because it now if we're thinking about where it's entering the hole, we're visualizing it, you know, entering there, and you know, then then our body is gonna you know, know, how hard to hit it based on what our brain is seeing before we before we hit it. Like, I know, there's speed drills that all hit a ten foliot plot at fifteen foot putt of twenty foot plot hit a thirty foot But I don't find those super helpful. I find it way more helpful to get people to see, like whenever somebody plays well. And Nick Taylor said it the other said in his interview, he said, you know, I saw some putts going. You're always talking about, you know, seeing things right, So like you always hear whatever good player puts, well, it's because they're seeing seeing the line, seeing the speed, seeing the ball into the hole, you know. And and if that's what we're doing when we're putting, well, why don't we just do that all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's interesting that you mentioned that that I think golfers are visual. Maybe about ten years ago, I think the TPI guys were the first ones to kind of talk about linear versus non linear putters, right, people that see straight lines and then people that see curve lines. Right, people that see the curving into the holes. When they stand behind a twenty footer that's breaking left to right, they kind of see this curve in this arc. Those would be nonlinear, and then linear putters would be Okay, I see a straight line to where the putt is going to break. Do you see a correlation between one of those in terms of how would you have a person identify that, like if they are like okay, because I asked that question and I hear a lot of players say to me, listen, I don't see you know, Ben Crenshaw, Brad Faxon, they see curve right. I would imagine Cam Smith is more visual, kind of like an artist. Cam is doing a lot of what I would think that you were talking about. He's seeing the ball go in in a specific way. And then there are other putters that say, listen, okay, I know this thing breaks left to right. I know this thing breaks right to left. I'm just gonna put it straight to that spot and then let gravity take over.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I find it's pretty easy to tell what they are if they're linear and not linear by by what they're aiming at right. So they're saying I'm aiming twelve inches out to the right, then guess what they're linear. Like Zach Johnson, I don't understand every punch straight pot. You just have to pick a spot right or left and hit it. I don't know what you keep are talking about curve lines everything straight. I'm like, well, okay, well guess what, you're linear. That's great, you know, and you know, keep keep doing that. You can't, I find you can't turn one into the other, like you can't turn uh, you know, an artist into a scientist and vice vice versa. Right, So I feel like, you know, it's different things for different people. The non linear people though, they're still a new idea where it's started right, and you know, getting a you know, a better visual for them is going to be important. They did a great job to talk about linear not linear, because it's important because you can legit put people and there's not really people that are in the middle. But I do think if we could pick a spot, okay, twelve inches outside right edge, and then even if you're linear, you can still think about where that ball is can be entering the hole, because that's gonna be how you have to match up match the speed to that.
Speaker 1: Line touch and speed control. And one of the things that I do with a lot of players is I take the hole out right the actual ball going in the hole, So we'll go putt to an old hole right that we can see. And I've found that that's a really interesting way to have players see how the ball is going, what the speed is going to be with the ball after it would go through where the hole is. Right, so you're putting to an old hole. Let's say you've got a right to left putt from ten to fifteen feet, So the ball can't actually go in the hole because there's no hole in the ground, but you can still see where the old hole is you're putting too that if it rolls into the middle of that on a right to left putt, you would have made that, but then you can see how the pott is going to roll out after that. Do you think that that's a beneficial way for people to have an understanding as to what their speed is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. That's a great drill, and you know a good part.
Speaker 1: Of Venmo Another Venmo. Come on, just these are.
Speaker 2: No this is great. So uh because I've used the fake Okay, so this is dumb. I've used a fake hole.
Speaker 1: No, no, the fake But not everybody has a fake hole, right, I mean on tour everybody has. Everybody has one with their manufacturer's logo on it. If you're a titleist guy, you've got the titleist one. If you're a tailor made guy, if you're a cobra whatever. That's my point. Not everybody has a plastic disc that they're given out on tour, right, you could go buy those, but you know players have too. Yeah. So Ben Creunchall told me once that if your ball always has the right speed, how far away from the hole is it ever going to be? I found that a fascinating statement because obviously Ben very much nonlinear. Yeah, I mean he's an artist, right. Do you think that players obsess about the read and then at times can fall in love so much with the line that they just forget to hit it. I mean, you've got a fifteen footer, it's breaking right to left, You've got the perfect read, and you leave it to roll short and you're like, you got the read part right, but the ball never got to the hole.
Speaker 2: It's funny whenever you fall in love with the line and hit the wrong speed, you always had the right line. You do, it's the right line, but you're so happy with that that you got to figure it out. You completely forget to forget the distance part. Yeah. Absolutely, it happens to everybody. But if we could think about worth entering the hole as our last thoughts. That's gonna nullify that. Like if you see somebody had a terrible put for me feet, there's no way they were thinking about where that ball is entering the hole. They were thinking about the line. They were thinking about stroke mechanics. Stroke mechanics. Good, yeah, really good one. You know, maybe they alter their pre shot and it's making them feel uncomfortable and they're still thinking about Hell un comfortable are from the pre shot routine, you know, But you're right. So if we could visualize I'm really big too. My favorite thing to do with players is to visual have them visualize the pot at some point their routine. It's gonna be different for everybody, but it's going to be have them visualized the pot in real time. So if they can, if they could, maybe it's behind the ball and you know, when when they're bending down looking at it, but if they could visualize the pot in real time from where the ball is to the hole, you know, it slows down as enters a hole and then let's say dust and would see it just toppling over, you know, and Brooks would see it, you know, hammering into the back way. Great they're still gonna have their desired speed. But if we could visualize it, and not everybody can, but if you can, great, And if you can't, just walk your eyes along that path in real time. And I've taken stop watches, I'm like, okay, this potts can take three seconds, we'll hit it. Okay, I stopped time to three seconds. Now take three seconds to visualize this pot Like, oh okay, that's real time right, So that's super helpful for speed. I think the visualizing in real time and the entry point of where it's getting in to the hole are huge to match up the line of speed.
Speaker 1: What are some drills? Give me a couple of drills for speed that you think are really really helpful.
Speaker 2: Here's here's kind of a tough one. This would be like an elite player one. But get get a chalk line or a string, find out where the uh the perfect spots hit it from. Let's say you got an eight footer, you hit the pot goes right in the middle, then go up a foot from seven feet, you know, dye that one in and then go back a foot on the same line and hit it harder. And they have to hit that one firmer so it kind of be to use your analogy, like the eight footer would be a normal putt, you know, the seven footer would be DJ speed, and the nine foot would be more brooks of speed. So that's kind of a good way to get players thinking about speed because you're using the same line. So you're not just I'm not I don't think mindless speed drills. We're just hitting twenty twenty five, thirty thirty forty five, you know, just like like a ladder drill tends to work. I think we need to visualize it more because because that's going to carry over into any situation where the ladder type drills I find, you know don't don't you know have less carryover for sure.
Speaker 1: In your opinion, Name me some of the great green readers that you've seen and been exposed to in your work on on the PGA tour.
Speaker 2: I mean it's hard to quantify that for sure. I can I can tell you a couple of my guys that are great green readers, right, But.
Speaker 1: Because they're using the app, right, I mean it helps.
Speaker 2: I mean Adam Hadwarms a great I feel like Adam Hadams a great Green reader. But we've done a lot, Like we shouldn't say a lot of work. I just very early on the relationship. I just got to start visualizing in real time, right, and that's super helpful. Right, there's a there's definitely some good Green Readers, but I feel like it's it's something that can come and go, and they might be great at certain courses where they've got a great feel for that course and it and it doesn't translate well into into different courses. That's a good question. Brooks is good. I'm sorry, I mean, I mean, I'm sorry. He's good. Obviously, Bryson's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bryson's good because Bryson actually will go and spend hours upon hours upon hours on trying to pick apart every part of his game. He does it with his short game, he does it with his long game, he does it with his driving, and then he does it with his pudding. I mean, he's got the launch monitor out there putting to no hole trying to figure out how forward to hit everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you look at I feel like, if if you look at somebody like Maverick McNeely is obviously very good, very good Green Reader. I feel like it's one of those things too, where if you put more effort into reading green, like into training your green reading, you're gonna get better at it, right. And I feel like some people just throw their hands and say, oh no, it's just feel, you know. And when somebody tells me, oh, it's just feel, you know, in my head, I'm thinking, oh, you're kind of lazy, right, Like, Like you know, let's say you talk about like Dustin, like he's got his tear drop out there and he's putting along the lines and and that's training your green reading too, right because he seeing you putting in different spots, different different days like that, that's you know that that's working. You see a big difference. You don't go to many smaller PG tour events. You see a big difference from the elite players preparation to the average PG tour players preparation. Right, so you know it's like anything else, we prepare better, we were gonna play better. And you know, if I can make a quick pitch on my phone from my from my app, rather go for it. I've got this this cool little seventy five pot drill they can spread out over you know, one, two, three, four sessions that legit, everybody gets much better reading greens from and then I would think too, it's funner if if we're playing golf and every pot we hit we don't go down a rabbit hole I pushed or pulled it. I'm gonna change my stroke because you if you missed two left and you automatically think you pulled it, well, now you're you're gonna be on the third green taking a bunch of practice strokes over the flag stick, trying to fix your stroke when and now you're probably gonna push the next one and the only way it's going to go in is if it's a you know, a right to left her and you underret, you know, you under red and you push and it went in. Then you think you fix your stroke. That's why I feel like people don't get better better, like people get better at everything else, Like people get much better at driving the golf ball, people get much better at hitting bunker shots. You know, the slowest skill to acchoire and golf by far up till now has been green reading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's it is this skill, and I think a lot of people think that. I mean, there's I teach Marina Alex on the Ladies Tour and she played. She had a chance to win a tournament early last year, she was in the final group she played with Leona Maguire, didn't get it done. Leona basically putted her off the golf course and she said to me afterwards, she's like, listen, I've been on tour for ten fifteen years now. She's like, I have never seen anybody be able to read greens like that. So I think what every but he thinks is it's a skill that's instinctive that you were born with. And I think the cool thing about the app that you've created is you're like, Okay, if you weren't blessed with just instinctive, incredible green reading skills, there is a way to practice it. And I think it's interesting that you've You've said that you listen and I've seen it, and I've seen players get better drive in the golf ball, have their iron game, have their short game improve. But historically, you know, green reading has been probably the least trained worked on thing possible, and I think it was a lot of I mean, obviously, Ralph, if you're not good at something and you don't have any positive feedback from it as a player, you're not going to do it right if you if you're bad at reading greens and you go over and you say to it yourself, okay. And that's why I think it's so important and why you know, you and I have been talking for you know, two or three months now to get you on not only to pitch the app, but also you and I are in the same business, right. We want golfers to get better, right, we want golfers to improve, and it's so frustrating fun, Yeah, it's so frustrating to see players consistently struggle. So I think historically people don't practice green reading because I don't think they have any idea what the hell they're supposed to be doing to read greens. Anyway, They plumb bob it, they do the line stuff. And again, I think golfers, a lot of golfers listening just do what they see elite tour players do on television and it works for them. But if it doesn't work for you on Saturday afternoon when you're out there, it's not like you're going to go practice that some more. You're just gonna go, Okay, I'm gonna go worry about the stuff. I'm good at right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, we like to practice or we're good at it. Like I said, there's just a super easy way to practice your green reading. If you think about getting if you think about lowering your score, like if we want to hit it further, like do we really want to wake up earlier and go to yoga? You know, do do we really want to you know, like yeah, yeah, it's better, but wow, you can get better at reading greens. You can knock you know, we've done studies and like people can knock off you know, lots of strokes in a hurry, like like the average PG tour player I've worked with, you know, has picked up point five strokes that gained with his putting right, which means.
Speaker 1: A lot, which is massive massive.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, it's it's big. And also I mean statistically they'll you know, driving the ball is better, you know, it's more important rather than putting. But you know, you don't see people higher. You don't see people you know, fifth pumping after drive very often right there, they're typically fifth pumping after after a plot. And you know, I still want to do to study. I haven't done you Unfortunately, if you make a seven foot ten inch pot. How do you think you hit your drive on a pole compared to if you miss that seven foot ten? In sure, you've watched a lot of golf, you know, aren't people in a better mood? Aren't they more confident, you know, when they after they made a put rather when they missed.
Speaker 1: I mean absolutely, I mean for sure, and I do think you know, it's the same thing, like it dovetails. Right, if if you drive it pretty good, your iron game gets better, right Like, even if your distance doesn't improve off the tee, right, even if you don't drive it three hundred yards off the tee, but if you hit the ball in the fairway, your iron game is going to get better because your confidence is going up. Because you're hitting the ball from the middle of the fairway, You've got a much better chance to have a flat lie from the from the fairway than you do if you're over in the trees, if you're over in the rough and all of that. I think that you're right. That is, if you hold more, if you hold a seven foot for bar, you're dying to get to the next tee to go put it in the ground and hit a drive.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, you know, when you're pinting, Well, you just can't wait to get to the next green, right, So you're like, okay, let's get this ball in the greens. Here's strokes as possible. I want a chance at Birdier, you know, so it's super important. I think it's funner. I think I think if if there are so many people could take out of this. Though, from my point would be like, hey, like, like, if you miss a putt, let's assume it was a misread, right, because then you're working on green reads something you can And by the way, if I feel like if you misread a putt, it's not going to hurt your confidence. If you think you pulled it, what do you do in the next hole? You intentionally push it? Like that's that's a real challenge when people come to be like hey, Ralph, I feel like I'm pulling every fifth putt, Like, well, we can't start pushing them otherwise you're going to be missing four of them right instead of one of them left. Right. So it's just an easy way for people to get better at any level. And it's been a lot of fun for sure.
Speaker 1: Different speeds of greens, right, I mean, obviously the greens I'm at the US Open this week. The green speeds at the US Open historically versus what the majority of golfers playing golf all over the world or going to putt on, are going to be vastly different.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The greens that August National during the Masters are going to be a speed at which the average golfer will never put on greens like that. So when you are a player, and you're a recreational golfer, right, and you're just going from course to course, right, And how can players adjust to slow greens? Some days? Because I mean, there's a girl that I teach that's a very good player, and she, you know, she's a member at a country club where the greens are always great. When she comes up to my place, the greens are running eleven twelve. All the courses that she practices on are tour caliber greens, right. And then she goes and plays in junior golf tournaments and amateur golf tournaments and the greens are flat and they're running at nine and they're not good. So how can players adjust to speed of the greens because it's never going to be the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way of doing it. Most people are pretty comfort for saying it. Most people are pretty comfortable with what they see on TV. They're used to watching. You know, the PG tour. PG tour average about eleven. You know stim stems about eleven. Uh, you know your place, let's say eleven twelve. The average let's say golf course, like municipal golf course, probably around nine. Right, So if you think about we use ten as kind of a base, because ten would probably be a decent average for most golf courses. If you're on slow greens, nine, nine are gonna break ten percent less than ten. Right. If you're in eleven, they're gonna break ten percent more than than ten. Right. If you're on twelve, it's gonna break twenty more than ten. So I feel like if you could have get comfortble whatever speed you're used to. Let's say she's used to eleven, that's great. If she goes to a nine, she doesn't have to take twenty percent break off her putts, which is gonna seem unusual, but that's gonna be the way to go. If I can throw a quick analogy about that, I had a player was playing I think in New Orleans, and it rained a lot Wednesday night, Right, so Thursday morning, the other golf course, you know, greens were way slower, and they'd practiced the whole time. You know, they were missing their their punch high, right, So they threw the app down with the new green speed, got there, started getting you know, adjusted to the to the new green speeds, right, and then they came in twelfth to thirteenth, had a good putting week. Couldn't have been to Orleans because it wasn't a partner one but one of those ones in the South where it can rain a decent amount. So green speed's important. It does affect it. And it's nice to have a baseline from your home club though, to go work off one way the.
Speaker 1: All right, So tell everybody how much it costs and where they can get the app.
Speaker 2: Okay, I appreciate that. So the app is one hundred dollars a year. It's a subscription model. What we've it's in the app store. It's it's doing really well. What what we're putting, uh, you know, videos into it. I've coached on the PGA Tour. I first met you, I think seventeen years ago out there. We've been doing this for a while. So I've coached on the PGA Tour for seventeen years. So what I'm doing with the videos and stuff too, is trying to make it a turnkey system to teach people how to put as well, you know, because mechanics. Mechanics are important, right, So we're gonna talk about ball. There'll be videos on ball, position, videos on you know. I've got some cool drills that you know, basically work for everybody. I'm gonna have about forty videos in there, and you know it, it's got an amazing way to train our green reading.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So it's one hundred dollars a year. It's it's in the app store, and it's gonna teach out to putt teach how to read greens. I'm, you know, obviously super excited about it. This has basically been my life's work, right, I've I've been a putting coach you know for the last seventeen years and PGA Tour. I'm trying to take everything I've learned in that time, you know, and and and put it in this app.
Speaker 1: And for everybody that says, oh wow, one hundred dollars a year, that's a lot of money. But if you think about how many golf balls. You lose a year if you're a fifteen to twenty handicapper. No, but seriously, if you think about how much you're spending on lose on golf balls because you're losing them and you want your scores to improve. I mean the amount of people that you know are spending on money on a new driver. Hey, I'm not driving it good, Let me go drive get a new driver. Hey, I'm not putting it putting it good, I'm gonna go buy a new putter. Right, My iron game's bad, I'm gonna get all new irons. My bunker games bad. I'm gonna get a new wedge, right. So to me to help you learn a skill, right, that is really from a golf standpoint, you know, green reading is a life lesson, right, it is a life lesson that it is something that you can learn that will help you throughout the course of your golfing career. And you know I've tried it. You know, my guys out of Dubai, at my academy in Dubai, I mean, Ralph, they love it. I mean we're having all of our juniors do and one of the things that we've started to do is we use the app, and we we have the player read the putt first okay, and say okay, one, how far is this distance? Okay?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Two? What do you think the break, the speed and all that is going to be? And then what we do is we put the phone down, put the app down, and we don't even putt right. We don't do any putting. We just go around to various holes of various distances, because I think that's really really powerful to get people to if you are going to learn how to read greens, part of that is not putting right. Part of that is not not actually doing the task I actually want to see. Okay, is this Do you know that this is left to right or right to left? Do you know that this is uphill and downhill? I always say Ralph to players. I think it's important when you get to a putt, before you mark it, ask yourself two questions. Is it uphill or downhill? Is it left to right or is it right to left? And get that initial first read. Then go gather the data. Go gather the information, and hopefully it's going to be downhill if you thought it was downhill, and hopefully it's going to be right to left if it's right to left. And I think if the other thing that I think that helps players do Ralph is it helps him build trust. Now, if you think it's uphill and it's left to right, and it's downhill and it's right to left, and that is something that's consistent. Right, every time it's downhill, you think it's uphill, and every time it's left to right it's actually right to left. That's a completely different conversation, but I do think similar to what you were talking about, get that initial first read, then see if you're right, and then use the app to go Okay, yeah, I'm actually not that bad of a green reader. I thought this was downhill. It's downhill. I thought it was left to right. It's left to right. And then you start to build that kind of trust with yourself as a player, and then we can use through your app, we can use technology to go okay, yeah you were right. Now let's get into the real minute details of how much it's downhill, how much it's breaking, and all of those things. And I just think it's been such an easy way in using your app to to help so many golfers of all different levels to just have them go oh wait a minute, I can become a better green reader and hey, I'm actually not that bad of a green reader.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's fun and take the frustration up because app to now people are like, yeah, they miss the pot. They don't know if they miss hit and misread it, you know. So it's yeah, it's it's super helpful for every person that I've tried it with.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to I want you to privately send me how many total downloads you've had, and if the number goes up, we're gonna have to talk. Ralph, We're gonna have to talk. But no, honestly, everybody listening, I think you've come up with something that is so unbelievably simple because everybody has a smartphone. Now, does it work with both with all different types of phone? Samsung, Android? Apple?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, right now, right now, it's iPhone only. We're in the process of I know, I know, I know, we're the problem is.
Speaker 1: I mean, like Steve, I mean such a Steve Jobs guy.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, Well, we've tested like the iPhone clinomors are great, and we're going through the process of testing the clinofers to the phone. But before I leave Claude. I will say, you know, with all respect, it's it's easy to see why why your students have had so much success over the year. It's been fun to watch you out and tour doing a great job covering all the bases. You know, I'm doing a you know, fun way and doing a great job. So it's been fun to watch all these hours. I appreciate the support.
Speaker 1: I always thank you so much for saying that. I always say that I learned a lot of what I know from my father, and one of the things my father said was pick good students. They make you look a lot better. So I have I have been very lucky to work with. But listen, you're doing great work. And you know I figured it seeing as a Canada I mean, big win for Canada. Nick Taylor, how good do you think a guy like Nick Taylor can be? Because I mean he's one of those guys that when you watch him and I mean he's a very good ball striker, right, I mean Nick, I mean he's a good ball striker. And do you think this can be a springboard for a guy like Nick to go? Okay, now I've wanted I won a tournament against I mean listen down the stretch. I mean Nick beat you know some really good players, including you know, someone who I think is one of the best, if at times not the best player in the world, in Rory McElroy. Do you think this is an opportunity for Nick to take this type of a win on a big stage at home, a win for Canadian golf, not only for himself. Do you think this can be a board for a kid like Nick?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, Like like Nick was number one amateur in the world, right he he He's always been good. He keeps working, he's trying to get better every day. He's nails under pressure, he's smart, he's just doing great. If I could give another quick plug, you know it's Canadians. We're nice people. But we do have five players now in the top seven in the world, which has been fun. Right. So, you know, I joined our national team program in two thousand and one and been off and on with the program, and boy, if they would told us in two thousand and one when we started the national team program that you know, came to when it came open and there'd be five games in top seventy, you know, we would have been, you know, pretty happy. We wouldn't have believed it, but we would been pretty happy. So anyways, No, they're all doing great, fun fun yo. Yes, it was an unbelievable week though. For for the goal, for the key and open and again appreciate your time here, buddy. Well thanks for doing this.
Speaker 1: We've been trying to do it for a while and everybody, honestly go check out the app. It will definitely help you read greens better. Ralph, hope you get the visa issue solved and hopefully we will get to see you back in the US soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm back next week. Thanks brother.
Speaker 1: So that was Ralph Bauer talking about green reading. And I think if you struggle with green reading, if you aren't making the putts that you feel like you should be making, I think everybody's control all delete is just to go. Stroke mechanics got to be my stroke, got to be my stroke. And I promise you one hundred dollars to get this app. It's well worth it. It will help you improve and green reading. It is a skill, it is an art, but it is something that you can practice and you can get better. And if you follow this and you work with it, I think it can help you lower your scores. So it's the US Open La Country Club. I was out on the golf course today. What man, this is a uh, this is an interesting one. This is not your typical East Coast old school kind of what you're used to seeing from a US Open. There are some very very unique holes out on this golf course. It's got a pretty unique look to it. But I gotta be honest with you, I I don't know what this golf course is going to throw up. There are some incredibly long par threes. There's there's a par three on the front nine. I think it's the seventh hole, two hundred and eighty five yards. I mean that's where they were playing it today in the practice round. DJ it's to sixty five to the front, by the way, so two sixty five to the front. It was two eighty five to the whole. DJ smashed. I'm I mean just hammered a three wood and hit it in the middle of the green. Brooks had to we're out in the practice round. Brooks had to kind of hit a hammer drawl to get it into the middle of the green. There's the eleventh hole. I think a lot of people have been seeing that one on Social two ninety five. Okay, it's downhill, but today it was downhill, it was into the wind. So there are some blind t shots, there are some blind approach shots. I think a lot of people have seen on Social that there are areas where the rough is really really thick, and then there's some areas where it's not, and then there's some holes around the green complexes where it's just it's hey, I mean, it's just if you hit it into these if you if you come up short and you're in some of these areas with this really really thick grass, or if you hit one over the green and you're on a downslope, you're staring double or triple in the face. So obviously I think if you drive it well here, you're going to have an opportunity. But I could see, I could honestly see a number of different players winning this championship, and I could see a number of different styles of golfers winning this championship. So yeah, this is an interesting one. It's going to look great on TV. If you've never been to La Country Club. It's right in the middle of Beverly Hills. There's thirty six holes one the course that the tournament's going to be played on is on one side of Wiltshire Boulevard and then the other eighteen is on the other side. I mean, you couldn't find a more expensive piece of real estate to have two golf courses. I mean Beverly Hills real estate and to eighteen hole golf courses right in the middle of Beverly Hills. The weather's going to be great. We're in Los Angeles. For those of you listening, if you're on the East coast of the United States, this is going to be primetime. So I kind of like it too. Anytime the US opened out west, uh to Pebble Beach or to La or to San Diego a couple of years ago where John ram won. I think it's great and I'm excited. Uh so unique, unique golf course, and I think a lot of people are gonna be surprised by what they see. I think it's wide open, and I'm excited to see who hoists the trophy on Sunday and gets a major championship. Son of a Butcher comes to you every Wednesday, and we will see you all next week.