Speaker 1: As media. Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode, So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, and welcome to it could happen here. It's me James, and I'm joined today by Kevin McDonald, who previously served as a senior officer in the Irish Defense Forces with Special Forces experience and has significant experience working all over the world after that with United Nations and other organizations. And Kevin, welcome to the show. I'm glad to be here. Thanks for having me. Yeah, hopefully I've done a good job introducing you. I'm always terrible at that. Yeah, what we thought we talked about today, Kevin is you have significant experience in Lebanon with UNIPHIL and I think obviously when we've spoken about this before, we've spoken about it from a sort of looking at it from above, strategic level. But what we've not spoken about is what it looks like on the ground. So hopefully you can give us some insight into that, especially having been there both as like an enlisted soldier and as an officer. I think ye, can you explain at first? I think there's been a lot of the confusion or misinformation about like how did these Irish If we look at the Irish soldiers, that's the one you've obviously the most experienced with, how do they end up deployed to Lebanon. Is it a voluntary thing? Do they sort of say, put a hand up a sat I want to do this, or is it your units going so you're going, okay?
Speaker 3: Well, just I suppose as a brief reminder to your listeners, UNIFIL is the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon, and it's been interim since nineteen seventy eight. What it started first, the Irish were one of the first countries to sign up to deploy a battalion there, and we had a battalion in Lebanon nineteen seventy eight until two thousand and In two thousand, the Israelis withdrew from what they called a security zone about like a ten kilometer buffer zone in southern Lebanon.
Speaker 2: So when they did that and.
Speaker 3: Retreat to the frontier between the two countries and a part of its battalion, it left a few staff officers there, but it didn't supply a battalion anymore. It was concentrating on the missions in Syria and other places. And then after the two thousand and six war they were asked to come back with a battalion and we've been there ever since with an infantry battalion. In relation to your question about it, is it a volunteer mission, it is for most people. However, there have been people who will be what's known as mandatory selected if they have certain skill sets, whether it be a doctor, whether it be whatever.
Speaker 2: Happens to be.
Speaker 3: If you know, if the army can't get sufficient volunteers, then they will mandatory select. But generally speaking, certainly in the early years, it was actually quite difficult to get to become a volunteer for Leblon because so many people wanted to go there because there is, you know, there's a bit of a financial incentive to do that as well. I deployed there as a private soldier in nineteen eighty four. I wasn't even twelve months in the army at that stage, and within two months I was made in acting corporate. So then I went back as an officer in nineteen ninety three where we had a seven day war operational accountability. I was back in ninety ninety six as an officer for another seven day war, operation Grapes of Wrath, and I ended up there with my family as an unarmed military observer in two thousand and six for a full thirty four days of carnage. So yeah, Lebanon was always well regarded by the Arish Defense forces because it did the couple of things. It exposed troops to not just new cultures and new areas, but it'll exposed them to danger as well. And it also gave a chance for young NCOs and young officers to to physically lead their troops in a challenging environment, which you don't always get, you know, when you're at home in Ireland or with the UK or whatever, you don't always get that type of leadership experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Plus you're exposed to other cultures, whether it be the Nordic countries or you know, you're exposed to different ways of operating and yeah, all in all, it's been it's been a positive experience. But I would find out that since we started there, we've lost far to get troops killed in Lebanon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's because not an insignificant amount, especially considering like the Irish Defense Forces are much smaller when if people are more familiar with the US military, right, which is more than a million people, you know, forty eight is a significant amount. You talked about how it exposes you to look at other cultures, and obviously one of them is like the Lebanese people. But it's a very international deployment, right, It's you're not just sort of sitting there on your Irish based with Irish Defense Forces. People are not interacting with other military So can you explain like some of the other country bees that have this long history there.
Speaker 3: When I went there in nineteen eighty four, there was a battalion from Fiji, Finland, France, Ghana, ourselves, the Netherlands, Norway and Senegal with a strength at the time of about six thousand. When I was there as an unarm Military Observer with UNSO, which is a different mission, the strength had dropped to two thousand in two thousand and six, which just two battalions, a Caname battalion and an Indian battalion. And now essentially since after the war in two thousand and six they started building up, there's probably about ten thousand troops there at the moment. There recently huge interaction at the battalion level between different nations. In other words, a battalion will have its own area of responsibility, it's responsible for patrolling.
Speaker 2: In that area.
Speaker 3: Now with the likes of unso that you're much more exposed to other armies, other nationalities because essentially every time you go patrolling, you can't, like two Irish officers couldn't patrol together because if they see an infringement, whether it's a firing clause, whether it's one side sending drowns into Lebanon an the other side sending controcial rockets in Israel, they are all violations. Yeah, but to record it as a violation, you can't have two people from the same country, So okay, you're you're much more exposed as as a foreign nationalities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and there's certainly a lot of national I know, the Indonesians are there now and the contingent from India. When people talk about UNIFIL now a lot you'll see one of two accusations, right, You'll see that they're either like they're as allies of Hezbollah in Lebanon, which is not the case, or you'll see that they're there as observers for the IDF or spies for the IDF. And like, obviously, the fact that they're being accused of both probably suggests that they are neither, because it would be fairly obvious if they were. But can you explain the tripartite agreement? It seems to me like that might make it difficult to do the things that uniform is supposed to be doing. Is that fair?
Speaker 3: It's I think it's I think it's a fair assessment. And if you're if both sides are complaining about you, as you say, it probably does indicate that you're you're at.
Speaker 2: Least doing something right.
Speaker 3: So UNIFIL, it's it's a peacekeeper mission and they're there with the agreement of both parties. So, in other words, the Lebanese government and the Israeli government have agreed that UNIFIL be established in Lebanon. That's the first thing to point out. The second thing, which is kind of contentious now, especially with the extent of hes Budus Tunnels is being exposed. Is that there's a lot of generally misinformed chatter about what UNIFIL can and cannot do. So after the two thousand and six War Resolution seventeen oh one was enforced or was brought in to develop more thoroughly the mandate for what UNIFIL can and cannot do, and one of the stated paragraphs is that UNIFIL will assist the Lebanese and forces in taking steps towards the establishment between the Blue Line and the Latanian River of an area free of any armed personnel, assets and weapons other than those of the Government of Lebanon and of UNIFUL deployed in this area. And this is one of the failings. But it should be pointed out that it's the responsibility of the LAUGH of the Lebanese armed forces to instigate it, supported by uniform right, not UNIFIL going in looking for arms and weapons supported by the LAUGH.
Speaker 2: It's the other way around.
Speaker 3: And one of the difficulties that you're always going to have is that Lebanon has a divided society. It's an extremely rich and significant society, and I've lived there quite a lot and have great respect for the people and their traditions. However, the sectarianism is kind of baked into how the government works, and that kind of works its way down. So the president has to be a Marianite Christian speak of the House has to be Shia, and the Prime Minister has to be Sunny. And that division was based on the last time there was a census in Lebanon, which was nineteen thirty two, and since then the dynamics have changed. So Hesbela is not just a military organization. It's a political organization, and it's a wealthier organization. Yeah, I think a lot of people don't get that. And it's Shia and the majority of the people in the south are shere and you know a lot of them get their schooling and their medication from Hesbulla. So it's not just a military organization. And there's various estimates, but you could be looking at them. But we say, prior to the present conflict, maybe seventy thousand Hesbela in south of Beyrootsa. We say, yeah, And some of them are full time, some of them are part time, some of them are just sympathizers, helpers, friends. You know, it's difficult and another factor that has proven extremely difficult is so when UNIFIM patrol with the Laugh, there is certain restrictions that even the laugh have in terms of entering certain areas. And what has Bullet have done is that they have designated certain nature reserves and generally speaking, the laugh won't go win there. And if the laugh won't go win, Uniful can't go win. So the laugh for kind of you know that they have a balancing act to do in terms of retaining the trust of the people in the South and also not causing a sectarian divide within.
Speaker 2: Their own ranks. Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: And also they have another problem in terms of equipment. They're sort of relying on other countries the UK, the US, France to supply them with equipment. But like they have no tanks, they have a few helicopters. They're very much like there's no way they will take on.
Speaker 2: Has Bullet no way, right, yeah, or the idea and Uniful itself.
Speaker 3: Is lightly armed, you know, it's not gone round in tanks anything armored carriage.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: The only time the last time UNIFAL had tanks in Lebanon was just after the war when the French deployed with the La Clerq.
Speaker 2: Tanks, which did not please.
Speaker 3: The locals because the Clerk tanks driving up and down the roads was nearly doing as much damage as the Marcava tanks during the war, and plus Lebanon isn't a very tank friendly area to be operation against what we.
Speaker 2: Say, right, Yeah, was that when the IDF came in in then Macava tanks and the French like physically blocked them with their own tanks. I can't remember when that was.
Speaker 3: And I'm not aware of that, but it could will happen because I know certainly back in the nineties.
Speaker 2: That may have been.
Speaker 3: When it was when Israel was operating the security zone. We the Irish and our colleagues from Finland and Norway had had numerous standoffs with Israelis trying to enter certain villages.
Speaker 2: And yeah, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw the day before yesterday the two I think two bulldozers in the Marcava or I said, yeah, two d nines broke down a U and watchtower and a un fence at the un had Unifild headquarters in the Cura, which is a few k from the from the frontier with with Israel. Yes, I should I note as well for your listeners that Israel and Lebanon have been at a state of war since nineteen forty eight.
Speaker 2: Yes, they've never had a seattler or a peace agreement, and the Triparte Agreement is the only place where they actually meet, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there is a UNIFIL post a meeting normally right at the frontier where you can cross between one country and the other. And I keep using the word frontier because it's not a border. It hasn't been officially demarketated. The blue line which I mentioned earlier on simply verifies that the IDEF have withdrawn into Israel, but it's.
Speaker 2: Not the border.
Speaker 3: Right However, going back to your point about the Tripartheid Agreement, and that's where the senior Israeli officials senior Lebanese officials under the chairmanship of UNIFIL meet and they discuss items of concern that maybe UNIFIL can help or no between the two of them. And in twenty twenty two they managed to organize a maritime boundary okay between Lebanon and Israel, which was kind of fascinating because on the western side of Lebanon and the northwesterns coast of Israel, the huge gas fields. Yeah, so the two countries actually they've agreed their maritime boundary onto the auspices of UNIFORM. This is still han't agree their land, but it's the first time that a peacekeep mission has arranged and courage developed and led successfully discussions about a maritime boundary. So the Uniform does have some successes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I think it would be wrong to overlook these. We'll take a quick break for adverts, then we'll come back. We're back and Kevin, you'd mentioned that you were in Lebanon in two thousand and six. I think you said you're an unarms observer at that time. Is that right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yet, so one of the oldest missions in the world is one so the United Nations True Supervisory Organization, and that essentially was established I suppose after the forty eight war, and it had well say, offices and observers in Egypt, Israel, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon. You know that they were quite effective in certain ways, Like certainly the eventual peace agreement between Egypt and Israel was very much helped along by the presence of Onso in Cairo and Shamer Shehak. The peace agreement between Jordan and Israel again was very much assisted by by Onso. So they have a kind of a fairly good track record. And what they bring to the table is that first of all, they're unarmed military observers, which which takes some of the sting out of heaven. You know, a heavily armed guy with a helmlets and sunglasses walk around, you know that. And and some some armies, as you know, can tend to be more intimidating than others in how they how they carried themselves. So I went there. I went to the region in two thousand and five and I was working on the occupied Golden Heights, living in the in Tiberias on the Sea of Galilee with my wife and two kids who then were four and five. And in February zero six, I was transferred to Lebanon and we were living in the city of Tier. The kids were going to a local English speaking Arab school and Lebanon was absolutely thriving. It must happened. We had the kids in bear Rouge, we had them in a man doing what they run and my normal routine. We had four observation posts along the frontier with Israel. Yeah, Staft by five guys who spent a week seven days up there, and then you come.
Speaker 2: Down for four or five and then go back up again.
Speaker 3: And each team had its specific area to operate with, and we say a specific battalion that we would interact with. And also quite importantly, we had liais and assistants who were locals, like translations, but they're a lot more important than that. And based on the sectarian nature of the area, you know, you'd always have a Christian, you'd always have a Shia, but you could have the Jews. If you were further up to the north, you could have Sunneny. And each team had four or five of these because we used to send two patrols out each day. So we had huge interaction with the locals and armor, with the mayors and the mucktars, and we were very much a force multiplier for UNIFIL because we could get information from people. You know, we used to stop and have lunch in some of the little restaurants, and we were always talking to people, and you know, it was the window down, waving out, having a chat, learning a bit of Arabic. Whereas UNIFIL by its nature goes around the armor cars and even if you stop and you get out and you take off the sunglasses, people will just react differently to two guys with a local that they know in the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as about someone in full battle rattle again. Now, we definitely were.
Speaker 3: But the or kicked off on the twelfth of July two thousand and six and I was I had done on patrol to pick up or Christian liaison assistant in her village and literally we were heading off on patrol and over the radio, all stations go to the nearest uent position immediately. The nearest U went position tours at the time was an Indian platoon position on top of a hill. From my past experience, I had reckoned that there was a bit of stuff going on either in shape the farms, which is a disputed area in the southeastern part of Lebanon, up in the mountains. So I said to the guy that was with me, I said, look, this could be over a couple of hours. Let's go straight back to our patrol base. And you know, we knew we had a food the facility, and we also knew we had a good bunker in the place, so we had it back at a fair age of nuts. Shall we say, and normally when we would have two patrols out, there'd be one guy left in the patrol base and he'd be responsible for radio checks and all that kind of stuff. But what we do is, when we were about maybe a kilometer away, we would inform our headquarters in the Kura that were closing down at our final destination, which would give this guy time to come out and unlock.
Speaker 2: The gate to let us in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just as I had transmitted that, he comes up on the ear and said, don't come in, don't come in, we're getting hit up. So we at that stage we were restigate, and about maybe two kilometers away there was a huge IDF position and they were just banging with pine fives and gpmgs, not directly at us, but kind of in the general area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, explain those weapons systems for people who aren't familiar, Like what's a GPMG if as somebody is.
Speaker 3: Not, okay, sorry, So you've everyone's familied with, well, say in AK forty seven or and M sixteen, which would be known as small arms. In other words, that caliber is five point five six or seven point six two. Then you have medium machine guns, which are generally belt fed and there are seven point six two and then you have heavy machine guns again belt fed and they're twelve point seven or fifty caliber. So we were getting a fair bit. But it took us maybe an hour of listening to various news channels both in Lebanon and in Israel to realize that Hesbela had carried out a cross border attack, hit up an idea of convoy, kidnapped two who were seriously injured and subsequently died and killed initially four and then against their own orders, and Israeli Mcalva went into Lebanon to have a kind of commanding view over where they thought that Hesbal, we're bringing these guys. Hesbala knew that that's what they do, and big anti tank mine and killed four guys inside the Murcava. So Israel had lost eight and two kidnapped in the space of maybe maybe an hour.
Speaker 2: So the reaction was was was fast and furious, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it took us nearly six days to get our liais and assistant back back to her village. It took the un nearly two and a half weeks too, have actually with the families, because at that stage once it was a family mission. And where I was, I could see the jets dropping bombs into Tier, and my wife could look up on the skyline, knowing where I was, and see the same thing happening. I was sort of used to being under fire, but it's a different thing to see your family under fire as well. And eventually when the charter the sort of a cruise bliner from Cyprus to come over and stand offshore and sending its lifeboats to bring the families out. So when this has been planned and so had tried to organize that an armored convoy would bring those onmos that were deployed on the four posts down to Tier to say goodbye. But where I was, we were getting hamored with artillery fire and tank fire. So I was the only one with family that couldn't get out. So when my wife and two kids that were five and seven at that stage were getting into the lifeboat to bring them out to the ship, I rang her and I said, look, I'll say you want to see you, which is not.
Speaker 2: A great way to end the family mission. Let me Retalia.
Speaker 3: And then in the space of the next three days, we had a strength of fifty two officers and in about three days we lost over ten percent. We had one Italian captain shot in the back. He's now in a wheel chair. We had another Australian captain seriously injured when the convose she was in was I suppose target It is probably the way to explain it. But she she was thrown up against the inside of the armored car and essentially her back was broken. She was evacuated with my wife and kids. And then I think it was the day later or two days later, the Israeli dropped the Jadam, which is a bunker busted missile into the post just up for me, killing four very good friends of mine. So yeah, two thousand and six was a bit rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're comfortable, could we talk about that last one a little bit, because I think it's one of the ones that, like, there's no mistaking that un position, right, it's you don't and you don't accidentally disco dropping jadeams left right in center all over the place. Like.
Speaker 3: The first thing I should say is that twenty one years previously, that observation post was completely destroyed, but there was no one in it at the time, so when it was rebuilt, it had the best bunker in Lebanon so that they dug down first and had like a lot of the the bunkers currently in Lebanar are overgrown to bunkers, but this this was dug down into the into the rock essentially and it had its roof was about a measure and a half of reinforced steel and concrete. Yeah, with the two story concrete building on top of it. Now, so without doubt it was the best bunker in Lebanon.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that on this this happened on the twenty fifth of July, and on that particular day we'd already lost the patrol base in Maruna Ras when when Roberto was shot and they had to I have to say in fairness, but on the are liais on branch that kind of liaises between IDF and UNIFIL okay, and UNIFIL couldn't launch one of the helicopters to do a medevac. So the decision was made that the guys would get into an armored land cruiser and follow Israeli tank tracks back into Israel.
Speaker 2: Where they couldn't decafflict the air space to launch it or what was stopping them launching their helicopter to evacuate There.
Speaker 3: Was too much kinectic activity at that we wouldn't have been able to land it like it was.
Speaker 2: It was a battle long ago, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 3: So they essentially followed Israeli tank tracks that had come into Leblon. They followed those tank tracks back into Israel where they were met by an Israeli patrol and Roberto was flown through Rambam Hospital. But yeah, gone back to going back tom on the twenty fifth of July, as we were all taking a fair bit of incoming where I was. It wasn't targeting. It was more sort of harassment fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that. The house next door.
Speaker 3: Took three direct tank rounds and it was five meters away Jesus from our post, and our post was tiny. Yeah, but in the guys in Kam were taken a coup bit of artillery, but there was a lot of air strikes coming in close. And again for your listeners, the UN has a designation what it calls a firing close. So we'll say a firing close from a sixteen is I know, something like fifty meters or something like that. Firing close from an artillery shell is five hundred meters, and a firing close from an aerial bomb is a kilometer, So if glands within a kilometer, it's officially designated as a firing close and it's orders and you know, both sides get you know, it's it's an official account of of what's happening. So the guys who are getting the you know, a good few firings close from area bombs and there was three distinct weights of attack in the general area. So naturally force commander uniful, chief of staff on. So you and a quarters in New York were screaming at the Israelis, you know, stop targeting disposition. Yeah, what was there hes bull in the area? Of course there was kemp Is a has been a stronghold. But eventually that that evening the decision was made that the patrol bus is going to be evacuated. But because of the level of kinetic activity that evening, it was going to be done at.
Speaker 2: First light the next morning.
Speaker 3: And since the war started, we had all been on the twenty four to seven twenty minute radish, so every twenty minutes you had to respond to a radio check. So the last transmission from the post was from Canadian friend of mine x special for horse is really really cool and I could hear it in his voice. He was requested a luck in time for a firing close. It's danger close, it's danger close, get them to stop. And that was the last transmission. So when they missed the next radio check, we presumed another shell had come in and blown all the aerials of the.
Speaker 2: Of the building.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so myself and an assie friend of mine requested permission to take our armored land cruiser and try and drive up and see what was happening.
Speaker 2: That was refused by UNIFILM.
Speaker 3: So they sent a patrol from the Indian battalion, which was kind of in fairness that it was nearer. So we switched on to their radio frequency to hear what they were saying. And so they approached the base. They had obviously had to break down the gate and said the base had taken a direct hit by an aerial bomb. And at that stage we were still thinking maybe they're trapped under the rubble or something like that. And then the one of the transmitters we have found the body of a Chinese officer, so we knew the four guys were were were killed. And the Indians found three bodies that night and brought them to the Marchary in marja Un, which is.
Speaker 2: A large Christian town.
Speaker 3: So the next morning there was I think five of us tasked to open identify the bodies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the first guy was Chinese, was over pressure killed him, so that that was an easy one to identify. The next guy had no arms, no legs, and we head Jesus and where his head should have been was the chain of a dog type and I went down into his his body Paris, yeah, and the other guy yeah. So yeah, it was a difficult different procedure, and then we had to try and arrange to get the bodies transferred into Israel to where you and colleagues from Jerusalem so they could go to Rambam Hospital and have have you know, a proper identification and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eventually be returned to their families, I suppose.
Speaker 3: And that was a difficult procedure because where the IDEF said they could meet us, there was a minefield in front of us, and where we said we could meet them, they thought it was too exposed. So eventually we went into an old, small, tiny Indian platoon position and about one hundred meters away there was a gate that the Israelitis used to use to come in and out when the security's own was there. But the area between the UN position and the gate hadn't been mind swept in six years. But we had no choice. We couldn't bring the guys back to the marcher because it had resorted to using refrigerated trucks to store.
Speaker 2: Bodies because the marcher was full. Yeah, so there.
Speaker 3: Was an IDEF company there under a I think it was a full brigadier, and there's a war going on naturally, Yeah, all the time, gunships and katouoscha's passing each other over our heads. So when we had the three lads transfer over to our colleagues from Jerusalem, I stood in front of the IDF brigadier and I lined up all the uent troops and it says, we're not and have a minute silence and memory of our friends who were murdered on the cause of peace, and no having a minute silence them in the middle of a battle is not a no experience. In fairness to this guy, he stood to attention, and because I lived in Tiberias, I had a small bit of Hebrew, and I went over afterwards and thanked them for his respect. And we didn't find the fourth body on the laughter sease fire Jesus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's rough. Sorry, that's terrible to think about.
Speaker 3: So the obvious question is, I know, what the one you want to add? Why I should have said that at the start? Anything I say here, it's it's my personal opinion. So it can't be construed as being the views of the Irish Defense Forces, yes, of course, are certainly not the views of the Niger nations. Are my personal views. So you know, people should just take it that it's it's Kevin McDonald describing what happened to him and what his personal views on it are. So why did they do it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I think there's a couple of things. Hubris is one. I think at that stage they were like a schoolyard bully who got better and wanted to lash out of anything and everything. A second, probably more tactical reason is that the village of kim Is on a ridge, would say, at the end of the Redge Ridge, closest to Israel, because it's only about four miles away, is where this op was. And that's the reason that was there. And between Kam and we say, the frontier with Israel is the Hula Valley, which is the biggest maneuver space. If you want to maneuver armor and stuff into Lebanon with plenty of space, that's where you do it. In fact, beside it is an old Vichy French airfield from the Second World War, so it's low space and I think they didn't want eyes on the ground seeing what they were doing. And like one of the things.
Speaker 2: For mility observers is you observe in your report. That's your task.
Speaker 3: So was there Hesbola in the area around the around the op, Yes, there was, But as you probably know, if you want to attack true in the open, you use airburst artillery shells, which the Israeli is dated in nineteen ninety six when they fired fifteen of them into a UN battalion head quarters, killing one hundred and six eleven these men, women and children. See Conceultu shelter in the UN headquarters. Yeah, what you don't fire a bunk or bust and missile into a UN post to attack Hesbulla.
Speaker 2: The's subtle difference. Yeah, there's a huge difference. Yeah. I suppose what people will ask is like it's I think it's important to explain this from the point of view of someone on the ground, it is obviously un troops are not there to fight, they're there to keep peace. But they are an armed presence, and so they'll wonder how or why the un can or can't defend itself the uniform troops specifically in these positions. So, like, can you explain how your rules of engagement and how that works for from the sort of on the ground perspective.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, the rules of engagement we said for a peacekeeper mission, like we pack on so to onside because they're unarmed, but for.
Speaker 2: A peacekeeping mission.
Speaker 3: So peacekeeping is generally based on three principles consent, impartiality, and the use of force in self defense of the mandate. So naturally, like the guys there at the moment aren't going to try and take on through or former KAFA tanks. First of all, they don't have the capability.
Speaker 2: To to it. Yeah, that's an interesting Do they not have the guinances? That's fine? Do they have for instance, javelin and things like that? Do they have those weapons systems available?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what they have currently. Certainly we didn't have okay, and it wasn't ever going to be an issue because that's kind of not our job.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 3: The sole responsibility to protect the people of Leblon is the Lebanese government. Uniful is there to assist. It's not there to say, okay, you step back, we stemmed up and protect you. That's not what Uniful or any peacekeeping mission. The only peacekeeping mission that eventually had enough offensive capability built into its mandate was the mission that's now closing down in the DRC, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and it's MENUSCO, and they specifically changed the mandate to include an offensive capability to go after them twenty three rebels in the Kivus in sort of the northeast and when they did it, like you know, attack helicopter special forces a lot. Yeah, it was quite effective. But which kind of brings me to another point because I just last year I completed a Masters in Peace and Conflict Studies and mandates was the evolution of mandates is what I sort of looked at, and having wrote bus mandates is all well and good, but the TCCs, the true contriping countries have to have the ability, the capability of the training and the will to carry out the robust nature of the mandate. So you know, we were saying in Ireland paper never refuses, inc. You can put whatever you want into a mandate, but you have to be able to effectively implement the mandate. Yeah, and I think and that's that's the reason that that maybe people are kind of broad in how mandates are written, but that's that's that's for someone we're further up to food chain the moon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So for those like the people on the ground then and now that's not a great deal. They can do, right, They can attempt to ask the idea have to stop, which they did, which has historically not work. And they can take shelter in their bunkers, which they did, which it's only helpful that they're not going to use bunker busting missiles to to des try that bunker. So, like it must be terrible. Like it's one thing to be engaged in combat with someone, especially if you're a soldier, bro it's another thing. And I found myself in this situation last year to be effectively like I'm able to respond. I'm thinking here of the Turkish drone bombing and fighter jets and as in Syria where I was, but it's a horrible thing to be in that situation, and is it for those peacekeepers? It must be a really difficult place to be.
Speaker 3: Well, it is, yeah, and of course you know that they're all conscious of the fact that their families back in Ireland are fully.
Speaker 2: Aware of what's going on.
Speaker 3: And yeah, shortly after the invasion, the IDEF decided that they're told usually for the want of them out essentially, and not just the Irish, but but what other nationalities that were not going, you know, So the idea if everywhere they go in Lebanon, the first vehicle is a dena in Bolthozer because that is more robust than a marcava and it can also very quickly throw up earth and ramparts to sort of you know, protect from direct fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the idea of troops.
Speaker 3: So they decided that they would literally conjoin an IDEAF position to the Irish position, hoping that they could intimidate the Irish into leaving. And the position's name was six ash five two, very close to the frontier. Ironically, when the Israelis withdrew in two thousand, they recognized that this particular area was what we in the minute would call key terrain because that area overlooked a vulnerable part of northern Israel, villages like Avavem and a few others. So the idea to requested UNIFIL to put a position there which would say stop has bulletin put in the position there, and then suddenly they're up close and personal, trying to intimidate the Irish and other nationalities as well. Yeah, so it's one of the things, and I think one of the reasons that they didn't want unifilled, and there's about twenty small of these small positions, mainly close to the frontier. I think one of the reasons that they and again this is a personal point of view, I think one of the reasons that they didn't want UNIFIL in any of these positions was eighty turn it into a free fire zone would be. One of the things that UNIFORD is supposed to do is to monitor and report, monitor and observe, and of course if you're not there, you can't do it. That's actually one of the things that the Uniform, even though they're hunkred in their bases, would with very little mobility, they can still monitor and observe what's happening in the general area.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, I would say in the case of Disposition six A five to two, if the ideas ultimately gain our goal was to take a major has been a stronghold which is called Binchabael, that's a good further north than disposition, so that the focus of attention would move on from with the our guys and go a wee bit further north.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's sort of where they find themselves now, right, is these can you explain like you've got these positions along the frontier and then you've got the headquarters that you just mentioned two days ago have been infringed by a bulldizer attacked, depends how you want to say it.
Speaker 3: Well, it makes a change from having a tankerun fired into an op which they didn't yeah a few days previously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they've done consistently right for for a month or so. Now is firing directly into these observing positions? Are these positions that are now? Are they left isolated as the idef wull advance passed and around them and in addition to biring directly at.
Speaker 3: Them, there's somewhat isolated. Now all these positions would be well stocked with water and emergency rations and stuff like that. And as I mentioned before, UNIFIL do have a liaison branch which I'm sure are talking to the idea IF on an early basis, and they will coordinate the movements of UNIFIL with say, supply their positions or I think last week they had a convoy went into the city of Tier, which is probably twelve k from the headquarters, to distribute aid, especially medical aid, because tiers getting fairly weacked, like all of the self, I suppose, so there is engagement to make sure that these posts are like completely isolated, that that there is a means of doing resupply.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's real, stopped one of those at some point, didn't it, Like was it a resupply and movement.
Speaker 3: The stop things that are on a regular basis. As I said, there is interaction, like nothing happens in the vacuum, like we said, Yeah, the Irish Italian headquarters would not send a convoy to Sixtas five two without it being communicated to the Israelis and saying we're going to go on three vehicles that or seven hundred hours blah blah blah, and and and get the confirmation back that yeah, that's okay, because you know, they mentioned the foul the war, and that that's all from the fairly real as you can imagine yourself.
Speaker 2: It's a fairly real.
Speaker 3: Thing that happens, you know sometimes you know, yeah, instructions don't get passed down, or sometimes instructions are ignored for whatever reason. So it's it's a bit of a delicate, delicate balancing act. But from what I understand, it's working well.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah, yeah, And I think it's working well in terms of like what's happening in Lebanon is bad and it'd be better if it wasn't. But it's not at the same tier as it has been in Gaza.
Speaker 3: No, you're looking at maybe three and a half thousand compared to forty three and a half thousand kild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so many of those being civilians, right, people who absolutely no business targeting, and like that genocidal violence that we've seen in Gaza hasn't come to Lebanon, and in part I think we can attribute that to their being observed. Is there is that fair to say? I think it's a fair point.
Speaker 3: Of course, there's no real the UN footprint in Gaza. My understanding is it's extremely extremely light. Yeah, and as you know that would say banished genre, Yeah, whereas I mean unifor the ten thousand troops in southern Lebanon. So there's very much more, maybe a more consciousness, but they're still flattin in the place. But it's in terms of civilian casualties. As we said, it's not going on as long as Gaza either, but on the we'ld say the combat front, but not exactly having things the wrong way either. They've been trying to take the village of Kian for the last I think two weeks, and my understanding is that haven't have destroyed it, right, but they haven't taken it. And it was like in two thousand and six they claimed that the town of ben Chebail was the Hesibla capital of the South, which and suppose't the way it was, but the turn of then draws me.
Speaker 2: But they never controlled it. They were still getting.
Speaker 3: Attacked, you know, days after they had seized it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've never really established like control or like monopoly and on violence in the area. And yeah, they've not done that this time. And I think I suppose the last thing I wanted to ask about is like we've just talked about like why this mission is important, and we've spoken about for like you had your family there when they were being bombed, and like this investment in being there in Lebanon, being alongside the Lebanese people in your case with your own family, like it's it's one that island has had for a long time. Ireland has historically, amongst European nations, been much better on the rights of Palestine and Palestinian people than most European nations. How is this peacekeeping mission perceived in Ireland? Like, are people proud that they're there?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, hugely proud.
Speaker 3: And and you know, the Irish have always been extremely proud of what our defense forces have achieved, despite us being a very small defense forces. Like I think at the moment between the Navy, the Army and the Air Corps were probably looking at in total.
Speaker 2: Total, well, yeah, very small.
Speaker 3: And then we're overseas in a lot of places as well, so like the doc Dad from the nine, you're probably down to eight. Yeah, but we do tend to punch up over with internationally. We obviously had no colonial baggage, which affects some other countries. Yes, and I think generally speaking, we're seeing as a I'm not sure if annest Brooker is the right word, but certainly not as threatening and not.
Speaker 2: Coming with an agenda, right yeah.
Speaker 3: Whereas other other countries might have a certain agenda for whatever political reasons at home. And it's certainly in Ireland s caes As I said, we were there from seventy eight two thousand and now from two thousand and six to present day, and a lot of it has been in the same general area, so people would know Irish soldiers.
Speaker 2: Some Lebanese talk with an Irish accent. I've heard that. Yeah, yeah, it's mad. Yeah, yeah, it's true.
Speaker 3: And depending on what part of Ireland the troops were from, you could even go further down, like some of them talk with a very broad Dublin accent. Some of them would talk with a very broad Cork accent. Because of that interaction. And I know one of the first big projects the Irish did, certainly from the early yearies, was to build an orphanage in a provincial capital coll tip name, and they've been doing that even when we know troops there, guys were still sending money and toys and everything. That's been demolished last week.
Speaker 2: For Jesus An Orphanage. It's like storybook evil stuff, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Like, Yeah, well, you know, it's just there's a lot of evil stuff going on in the Middle East at the moment, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean I've personally seen hospitals bombed and all that kind of stuff myself, and it sometimes doesn't even make the news. I mean that Orphanage evidently didn't really make my news. Diet Kevin, thank you very much for sharing some of your experiences over there, and I'd love to have you on again to talk about the things you've the work you've done in Africa and the line after leven. And you've written a book right about your experiences peacekeeping and other things. Where could people find that?
Speaker 3: Okay, So this initially starting off as a lockdown project during the COVID lockdown in the Central African Republican And initially it was just from my wife and family. But as it starts writing, you kind of started remembering and it's not just your typical military guy tell us about how Bravey was. I have a separate career in mountaineering and a separate career in archaeology. As well, So it's a kind of a much more different missimash of of stuff going on. So that the book is called a Lifeless Ordinary and it can be purchased online at male Books Dot.
Speaker 2: I m a y orb Orchas. Yeah, I like that balance. I've always thought that, like, I'll go somewhere and I'll write about the worst things I saw there and the worst days I had there, and that'll be my story. But I've always wanted to write about the mountains of Kurdistan are beautiful and I really loved being there, and there are other places that people think of them as wars, not countries, and I think it would be I'd love to write about mountaineering back acting in these places where often it's really sad that you don't get to share that part. Read. I'll write about this in the book.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, I've lived a few times in Lebanon, and I've lived and worked in Jerusalem a few times, and it's a fascinating region. Oh yeah, and the people on in both countries some I have some really good friends in Israel and have some really good friends in Lebanon, and I've been treated extremely well by people in both countries. Certainly if you've an interest in archaeology to be else could put ship not want to be? You know, like the Phoenicians in Tier, and no matter where you go in Tier, you can pick up Roman partially or you can see all these amazing sights, whether it's from the Phoenicians, from the Romans, from the Crusaders, it's just it's all there in front of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, cratile of civilization there. Well, thank you so much for showing your experiences, Kevin, thanks so much. Okays, about twenty years ago, maybe thirty, a circus fitted to Majoro, the largest island on the Marjorro Atoll, in the capital city of the Marshall Islands. They came to Majoro, as almost everything that isn't breadfruit, pandanas or fish does on a boat. After performing, they couldn't find a boat to take them to the next destination, and so the resident of this tiny island, which at times is no wider than the single road which travels its whole length, decided that they'd have to share the food that they themselves had imported a great cost, and they set about gathering apples, bananas, and anything else that they thought an elephant might like to eat while it waited for a way off an island. The belly has enough for im for his own people, let alone the largest land animal on earth. The people of the Marshall Islands, for whom hospitality is as natural as the tides are to see, greet each other the same way they do strangers, by saying your quay. The word has several meanings, but I'll let David Kabua explain them. He's the President of the Republic of the Marshal Islands, so he seems like he'd be a good source.
Speaker 5: I would say the word yuppet, yuppe, our greating word yaguey. There's a lot of several meanings, and you can't say when you meet someone first time, you say yagoehe when you greet someone, and when you also say goodbye, instead of saying goodbye, you also say yape, so you can instead. Also, like the weekend, there was a tournament, fishing tournament, and if you were fishing and you got it. You have a big fish on the land and you really you're about to land the fish, but the land snap. So what do you say?
Speaker 6: Say?
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, way and hello to the fish.
Speaker 1: But you just say yeah, because you lost the big catch.
Speaker 5: So it can't be used that way, like when you lose someone or someone passed away.
Speaker 7: You've missed that prison.
Speaker 5: Yup way, so and so he was here but no one could hear, so we can said yeh way.
Speaker 1: So it has several meanings.
Speaker 5: But the deeper meaning of yuppay is you are beautiful like the rainbow. Yeah means rainbow and ways, so we combine the two words, you are a rainbow and you are beautiful as a rainbow.
Speaker 2: On the map, the Marshall Islands looked like the little dots that appear in my photos of the beach at Margie. But unlike there's little of dust that managed to slink their way onto my camera center, Marshall Islands belong here. Here is a pretty vague turn. The twenty nine coral atolls and five islands that allow fifty four thousand Marshalies to live on one hundred and eighty two square kilometers of land span an oceanic territory of two hundred thousand kilometers. It's like you took a small American town and scattered it across an area more than a half times the size of Alaska. Even though the Rami is ninety eight percent water, every inch of land is precious to the Marshalies, whose matrilonial society ensures that land passes from mother to daughter and ties families to the remote islands that make up the low lying atolls of the Republic. It was on one of the bigger chunks of land that I recorded the music you heard a minute ago. Marjorro is an atoll that's a coral ring that encircles the lagoon and its biggest islands, about thirty miles long but often less than one hundred yards wide. There's one road that runs the length of it and sometimes also spans the width of it. It's also home to about half the Romised population. The highest point on the atoll lies just three meters above sea level. If you want to get higher than that, then you're only options are houses or palm trees. From the top of the fifth floor of the NAPA Auto Parts Store, which also houses the UNDP and the Marshal Arwns Olympic Committee, you can see the whole island for Marshallese people, these tiny pieces of paradise that barely poke their heads out. From the top of the ocean are everything. Their land and their ties to it defined them. Without their place, they can't be themselves. Even though many thousands of marshal Leise live in the diasper of the United States, they're still important handicrafts made from little shells and the outer islands and coconut husks. Many of them come back to the islands to retire, but slowly the ocean is taking those islands back. Rising sea level and more extreme tidal surges have placed this tiny Pacific nation on the front lines of climate change. There isn't an exact estimate as to how long the Marshall Islands have or what they can do to halt the creeping advance of the ocean. They've always existed on just a few square kilometers of land among millions of square kilometers of ocean, and they depend on that ocean for everything. But now it's threatening to take everything away from them one day. They fear their islands will become uninhabitable. A salt water invads of water table, and their trees die, while storms bring more and more frequent floods that sweep away their homes and their possessions. They don't want to leave, but they can't stand alone against climate change either. But the marshally Is are resilient people. They've weathered many storms to get to where they are now. The tiny museum in Madro hosts artifacts of several crises that would seem apocalyptic, a nuclear bomb, the Second World War, but in the end these did little decressing incredible kindness of the tenacity of the Marshalise. The islands that make up the Rami have been inhabited by indigenous people for thousands of years. They've been variously ruled by the Spanish, German, Japanese and United States governments before becoming an independent republic. Before they were named by a British sailor, the islands had their own name. I Let Jeff, a Marshal's renaissance man who was at one s driver, the head of the World Health Organization's EMT program on the islands, a registered nurse, and the Custodi uns. An incredible collection of marshalse music explained what they were called before that, or before he used to call la la la larli like.
Speaker 8: L or l.
Speaker 9: N l o lpluck lap lap.
Speaker 2: That's before it turned out turns into Marsham. Does this work Marshalls.
Speaker 9: Capes from this bad oh A found these islands.
Speaker 2: Captain Marshall undeniably, the Marshall Islands are not a bad place to find yourself on a summer afternoon, and in the time I spent there, I took several trips to the smaller islands around my dro atoll. They look like the Platonic idea of a tropical island, complete with coconut palms, vibrant coral reefs, white sand, and turquoise water. I love free diving and dropping down onto a wrecked aircraft and dozens of brightly colored species of fish in almost infinite visibility without even needing to put on a wet to or a weight belt. Might be the closest I'll ever get to flying. But I wasn't just here for a dip in the ocean. I'm actually here to tell you a story of incredible resilience. Much of America, both on the left and on the right, spends much of its time and money preparing for its own imagined version of the crisis. For some, that's the unimaginable destruction of duke a War. For others, it's the encroaching of the ocean on it's a land and the resulting loss of places to live and grow food, and for others, it's a collapse of basic services like power and clean water that we take for granted. These are all storms. So the tiny island nation who hath already weathered, and it hasn't done so in the atomized and individualistic way that so many American preppers fantasize about online. It's done so as an incredibly strong, optimistic, and welcoming community. There's a lot we can learn from the people of the Marshall Islands and their story, and so this week I'll be doing my best to share the stories that they shared with me. If you're familiar with the islands, it's likely because of the history of one of the other atolls in the group, Bikini Atoll. The name is the German bastardization of a Marshal lease word pikini pick meaning plain surface, and knee meaning coconut tree. It's a flat based where coconuts grere, but you likely don't know the island for its coconuts, and those aren't safe to eat anymore anyway. If you've heard of Bikinia Toll, it's because of what the United States did there after the Second World War. On the eighteenth of July and nineteen forty seven, the Marshall Islands were placed in a Strategic Trust Territory by the United Nations. This territory was administered by the United States, which are supposed to administer the islands in the best interest of their inhabitants out of international peace and security. But a year before the trust territory was created, the US began nuclear testing and the lagoon at Bikinia Toll, a site that would over the next fifteen years become the most heavily bombed place on Earth, with some islands entirely removed from the map and much of their population left dead, sick, without the land that defines them and their ability to thrive on these ti iny islands amidst the endless ocean. As far as possible, I want to let the Marshal Lease survivors of the nuclear tests and their families tell their own stories. They call what happened and don Bikini In and Awatakatoll the nuclear legacy of their country. Talking about the nuclear legacy is a difficult topic for the Marshallese, especially the time when none of them have been paid the compensation they were allotted, and the US was negotiating a new agreement with the Marshalise government. It was very far from settled and the numbers of the US were offering were very far from sufficient. I was very fortunate to join a few other journalists on the tiny island of boken bowten, a short boat right away from Mitro and home to perhaps most beautiful coral reef I've ever seen. We had lunch, walked around the island and then had a talk on the nuclear legacy from descendants of some of the survivors. I'll let them introduce themselves.
Speaker 10: My name is Zakabekibion. I'm from the Marshall Ellen. I am a student at CMI College of the Marshall Ellen and I am currently the president for the CMI Nuclear Club, which we mostly work under National Nuclear Commission with with our director Mary Sock and now our Commissioner Arianna.
Speaker 6: Allreat.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, once again, my name is Ariana. I work as a Commissioner and Nuclear Justice Envoy for the RMI National Nuclear Commission. Him once again, thank you very much for having us this afternoon.
Speaker 12: Yael, Welcome to the Marshall Island.
Speaker 1: My name is Evlin Ralpho.
Speaker 11: I'm the director for Education and Public Awareness.
Speaker 12: Once again, welcome, enjoy the rese of your days here. My name is sincerely in Pernet. I work with the National Nuclear Commission as an headman and physical officer. I'm not sure if it's necessary for me to come, but since the post that we all go so important, support the post go work on the same poet, Welcome to the Partial Islands.
Speaker 11: She's from Mayatta, She's from Yeah. The three of us are all descendants of nuclear survivors. They were exposed to fall out. Her mother was exposed to fall out. Her mother, Grace's mother was also exposed to the radioactive fallout, as well as my great grandfather. I think that's what really drives us to share this with you.
Speaker 2: Almost everyone in the RMI has a family member directly impacted by the testing and the decades of mistreatment that came after it. Although we know the name Bikini A Toll, the entire Republic was impacted by nuclear fallout, including Mardro itself, thanks to the elevised decision to drop bombs on a day when the populated atolls were downwind of the test site. In fact, right next to our hotel, showing the same parking lot. There's the US Department of Energy office. Hou's, Jeff, what that was doing there? Yeah? I saw there's a diary office health office on the street here.
Speaker 9: The one in the next to the autel, that's the office where they do the radiation testing. And there's the one near the AMI. R. Marshall that's the planet for those survivors. Now, the survivors, there's few of them, like maybe less than fifty. Wow.
Speaker 2: The RMI is saw fighting in the Second World War. It's memorialized in murals across Marjorro. In nineteen forty three and early nineteen forty four, the USA bombed and then fought the Imperial Japanese military who have been occupying the island since nineteen fourteen. US soldiers and Marines, along with marsh Lea's scouts, landed on Marjorro Quadulan in anywhere, took on Higgins boats that were virtually identical to the boat we took across the lagoon to Bocan Boten. The fighting was fierce and the scale of the destruction was a mets. Overall, the Americans lost six hundred and eleven men and suffered two thy three hundred and forty one wounded, two hundred and sixty one were missing. Meanwhile, the Japanese lost over eleven thousand men and had three hundred and fifty eight captured. Today, the Bikinia Toll Lagoon still holds the ghostly remains of the ships and plains that fought that battle, alongside the Nagato, the flagship of the Imperial Japanese Navy, and the ship from whose bridge Admiral Yamamoto launched the attack on Pearl Harbor. It was a shadow of this war that was evoked in nineteen forty six when one hundred and sixty seven of Bikini A Tolls inhabitants were forcibly relocated by the United States. They initially accepted this settlement quote for the good of mankind and to end all wars, in the words of the US commandant at the time. Assisted by US Navy seabees, they disassembled their church and moved to different atolls. Nine of the eleven family heads from Bikini elected to be transported one hundred and twenty five miles to Rohngerikatoll, an island, with about one order of the land mass of Bikinian. Many believed the island to be haunted. By the time the navy left them with a few weeks of water and food, they had every reason to be afraid. I let Ariana explain what that removal process was like.
Speaker 11: They had asked the people if they were willing to give up their homelands for the good of mankind and to end all wars. And because our people are people of faith in Christianity, they the and they were very afraid. They did not want to leave. But because of the amount of power that the that the military showed up with with their big ships compared to our small canoes, and the amount of troops that were on that island on that morning, it was very hard for them to, you know, fight against what was being asked of them. And if you have time to look through documentaries of the nuclear like you will see a certain part where the commander a commodore, his name was Ben Wyatt. He was sitting down and asking the chief at that time, can we use this island for the good of mankind? And in response the people all respond in unison elman which means okay. And from their testimonies they had to take that shot over forty times to make sure that you know, they all said mmin at the same time, to get the best shot they could for you know, maybe for reports to the UN, but it was a very frustrating time for them.
Speaker 2: Following their removal, the testing began. The idea was to test nuclear bombs on ships, so the US bought ninety five ships fully loaded with weapons and fuel. At this time, this would have ranked the navy of Bikinia Toll just out there the top five biggest fleets in the world, but those boats didn't stay afloat for long. Now. You might think that, given the testing was on ships, the atoll's navy would be some kind of mid century Mary Celeste, but you'd be wrong. Three hundred and fifty experimental rats, goats, and pigs died in the service as its strange nuclear experiment, some of them after being subjected to the great indignity of being covered in sunscreen, which bizarrely scientists thought might be useful in alleviating the impact of radiation. It's rather staggering that this research was being done three years after the United States dropped nuclear bombs on whole cities full of human beings. But as you've maybe already picked up in this story. The possibility of unintended but entirely predictable human suffering does not seem to have been top of the priority list. The first test of the island somehow misfired. The gathered press were disappointed, and many of them went home, But the second code, named Baker didn't. Chemist Glen t Seborg, the longest serving chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, called the Baker test the world's first nuclear disaster. It drove a two thousand foot wide pillar of water into the air, It sunk the USS Arkansas, and released massive amounts of radiation across the islands of the atoll, which at the time the residents had been expecting to return to. Just five days after the first bomb went off, Louis Road, a French mechanical engineer who was working as manager of his mother's lingerie shop in Paris, introduced a new swimsuit designed named the Bikini after the atoll. It was one wright equipped the atom bomb of fashion. The people of the atoll, however, gained little from the outfit or the testing. In January of nineteen forty eight, just two years after their removal, doctor Leonard Mason visited the Bikinians on Rongerick and was appalled to find the people there had almost starved to death. We were dying, but they didn't listen to us, one of them said to him. Mason, an anthropologist at the University of WAYI asked that food and water be bought immediately. The US built houses for Bikiniatol residents on Ujilangatoll, but it decided to use these for the residents of Aniwata Katol, where it was also about to begin conducting nuclear experiments. Instead. The Bikini Islanders were placed in tents alongside a runway before they eventually chose Kille Island, a line of less than one square kilometer, as their next home. Also evacuated were Anewatak, Wrongalap, and Warthaw Islanders. They too, thought this was a temporary arrangement and that they could go home in a short period of time. They too, found out later that this was not the case. Over the course of their exile, they've been moved several more times, staffed half to death, cheated of their compensation, and stripped of their ancestral homeland. For the next twelve years, the United States would drop increasingly large bombs, culminating in nineteen fifty four with the Bravo Shot of Operation Castle, also known as Castle Bravo, the biggest nuclear device that we know of the US ever deploying.
Speaker 11: Within those twelve years, there were sixty seven known devices that were tested here. There could have been more, but all we know of is sixty seven. One of them was the Castle Bravo shat that yielded fifteen megatons, which, when scientists calculated the equivalent of the Bravo shat, would have required testing the Hiroshima bomb one and a half times every single day for twelve years.
Speaker 2: That fifteen megaton Bravo shot yielded more than two point five times the estimated six megaton explosion. When it was detonated on an artificial island in the Bikinia Toll, the device's mushroom cloud reached a height of forty seven thousand feet which is fourteen hundred meters, and a dam of seven miles or eleven kilometers in about one minute. Eventually it reached a height of forty kilometers and a diameter of one hundred kilometers. This took less than ten minutes, traveled more than one hundred meters per second and covered seven thousand kilometers of the Pacific Ocean and everything in it with nuclear fallout. On the eve of the Bravo shot, weather reports indicated that the quote conditions were getting less favorable, but nonetheless the decision to go ahead with the first test was taken by to Alvin C. Graves jointed task for seven ships located thirty miles east of Bikini and what was thought to be an Upwin position began detecting high levels of radiation just two hours after the test. Very soon after, they began traveling south at full speed to avoid the fallout, but directly downwind of the blast and unable to travel were wrong. Alap and a Lingene Atolls Ariana explained the impacted to four there which residents were not warned about. American service people there want to stay inside, not eat or drink anything, but no such warning was given to the local residents.
Speaker 11: Some said it looked like the guy was changing colors from red to yellow to orange. It was just a very very bright morning and then they started hearing like thunderous roars a couple of minutes later, and it was just like roars after Wars, and it was a very frightening time because this was just not something you know, does not happen every day. And then around ten am, the fallout had started to arrive. And these are accounts from ronlap at All, which is the closest to Bikini. The fallout had started to arrive and they were not sure what was going on. There was men out fishing. There was also stories from these witnesses that prior to this test, the military had gone to rout and they had movie nights and they would show the community of movies where it's snowing.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow we'll hear more about the consequences of the Bravo show for the people who, despite never having any quarrel with the USA, with the recipient of the largest nuclear bomb it's ever decimated.
Speaker 1: Ho Ho, Merry Christmas. Robert Evans here, and we had been planning to make a Newcome episode to give you all a white Christmas this year. But you know what I didn't wind up wanting to do right during the holidays when we didn't have to work, is spend hours researching some other weird Come conspiracies on the Internet. So we're just going to play the old Come episode for you as a rerun. I know that's not the most effortful version of our job that I could have done this year, but also it's been a real shitty year for everybody. So let's just listen to an old Come episode and pretend we gave you a new Come episode. Merry Christmas, everybody, dearly beloved, Welcome to it could happen here. We are gathered here today to get through this thing called life. Electric word life. It's a thing that only happens with the addition of a couple of ingredients, and one of those ingredients is the subject of our episode today. Oh yeah, you guys like that? Everybody really happy with that?
Speaker 2: I love that. Yeah, I'm feeling not at all like I want to kind of shower.
Speaker 8: Okay, can you can you can hear the moment where we're all simultaneously questioning every single decision.
Speaker 2: We higher lives.
Speaker 1: Now we're all bonded together. So how's everybody doing today? We've got Miil Wong, Garrison Davis, James Stout, and I should let people know I wasn't joking about the Come thing. So those of you who are too online will know this. Those of you who are not online enough. This is one of the online things that you will want to know because it's very funny. And the gist of it is that like four days ago, doctor Jordan B. Peterson got sent a link to a Twitter account that is that purports to be spreading like hidden news about the evils of the Chinese communist regime, and they put out a video that was a segment from a British milking fetish pornography video. Now, if you're not aware the milking, as far as I can tell, I believe it kind of descended from the long lineage of like rubber fetishists, right, and there's like a lot of medical fetish stuff it tied into it. But the idea is that men are entirely wrapped up on hospital gurney's and giant pumps sucked the sement out of them.
Speaker 2: So it's like a cow milka. The machine is very like milk.
Speaker 1: This Twitter account put this up claiming that it was the Chinese government stealing the semen of young men, and Jordan Peterson shared it saying it was an unbelievable act of evil and then everyone had the best day of their lives and an hour of two later he deleted it. Now I have been continuing.
Speaker 2: Coward, coward, coward. Yeah, so strange, so strange that he left the world of pay reviewed academia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's wild that he's no longer professor. It's very funny. We're continuing to give him shit for it online. But it set us off down an interesting road. And because some other stuff fell through, we're going to talk about the wide world of weird right wing come conspiracies. Most of them are leased, are going to be right. There's a surprising number of semen based conspiracies. Everybody did research on their own special thing. I wanted to start by talking about this this Jordan Peterson cum video and given kind of some of the some of the background on it, so I believe it was. Last July, the Chinese Human Sperm Bank of Shanghai announced that it was hosting a competition for college students to find out whose semen was the best in terms of, like, you know, a number of modal sperm per milli leader I think is the way that they judge it. And basically the idea was that they were trying to find like people with sperm concentration greater than sixty million per mili leader, and if they visited a sperm bank a set number of times in a six month period, they could receive a prize that was equivalent to about twelve hundred dollars right now. The reason this is happening is that China, for the first time, as a result of a number of different policies, had negative popular growth very recently, and this is a thing that can cause a problem for a country for a variety of reasons. So the government is trying to shore up birth rates, and there are a lot of couples in China that have had issues conceiving, and so there's a huge amount of demand for sperm in the country right now. So this is not a weird story. It is actually a thing that happens all around the world regularly. But right around the time that this happened, a little bit after that, it came out that a Japanese company started selling what is called in the articles I Found an automatic sperm extractor to Chinese sperm banks. Now this is I'm going to send you all the link. I was hoping you would oh yes, good friends, thanks, but yes, we're all going to see this. So the machines. Price listing on ali Baba, where it sells for about five to six thousand dollars, describes it as a device that quote merges modern digital technology, automatic control technology, and simulation technologies with seamen collection and premature ejaculation desensitization training function. So it has a number of purposes including just to help guys stop coming too early, which no shame. It's funny that someone built a machine for it.
Speaker 2: It's extremely funny, and that you can buy on Ali Express. It's like, I personally, I'm not attaching anything. I bought an ali baba to sensitive part to my body makes thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: It's not cheap. Now, the primary these are not being used for people who are coming too quickly.
Speaker 2: Is like the worst every are to detwo this it is.
Speaker 1: It is weird.
Speaker 2: What's the orientation? Does it stand on the ground and you just approach it? You you have to stand up? Yeah? But what if you're a shot king.
Speaker 1: I say, I'm sure they have options. It has like the rough shape of like by a handheld massage device, but it's kind of like formed like almost an art deco robot vagina And basically from what I've read. Kind of the reasoning is that, like, hey, we need people to donate sperm. Some people feel weird about just masturbating in a clinic, and we hope this is a more pleasant experience for them. So again this we're laughing because like, look, a machine designed to capture semen is kind of a funny thing. That's okay, no shame on anybody for that. But the fact that you have both the government trying to encourage people to donate sperm and this weird machine kind of created fertile ground for a bunch of right wing weirdos to start making the grounded, I know, fertile ground to to make the completely un ungrounded claim that like the government was trying to steal people's semen, right, And that is the basis of doctor Jordan B. Peterson's fun little freak out on the internet. And I will say, you should try to find the videos of the automatic sperm extractor, this amazing Japanese machine, because it is fun. Its fascinating.
Speaker 13: On the cosign account, do they have to like like like change like I assume.
Speaker 2: They yes, the chang Yeah, you can't clean that. If you watch a video, there's like a there's a rebapod that like, uh, comes out like let's see it.
Speaker 1: The thing that the penis goes in is also the captured device, so it is removed with the sperm donation when you take it out. So again this is you know, funny because come, but there's nothing sinister here. It's just in the same way that literally everything is. People have like spun it up into a nonsense thing. But because of this beautiful, beautiful story, which I hope we've all gotten to enjoy, I got to do a lot of work on the some of you. If you live, if you've worked in agriculture, you're not going to be surprised that stealing come is a massive industry, like it is a There is a lot of money to be made in stealing semen. There's enough money to be made in stealing semen that there are two different official terms that I have found for seamen theft. The first is sperm jacking.
Speaker 2: How could they get better? How could they get better than that?
Speaker 1: It gets better because the second the second is spurgling.
Speaker 13: These are like professionals who like come up with these terms. Huh, these are a genius.
Speaker 1: There actually is. I did find in my research there is one actual Chinese based sperm conspiracy. It's just not a very sinister one. There's this Chinese businessman, Jesse jabet Zoo, who stole there. There's this I think it was a Canadian company. It was a US company who had So this is for like bull semen. And one of the things that you want for bull semen is you don't want if you're inciminating cows, you want all of the babies to be female generally, right, because bulls are not very with outside a certain specific If you're like trying to make more breeders or whatever, if you're in industrial agriculture, you don't want any of the boys, right. You just want to keep making those sweet, sweet lady cows that are you know, more useful to you in a financial sense. So there's a US company that developed a method of before insemination looking through the sperm and like sorting out the sperm that will make female cows. And that is apparently hard to do. I mean, it sounds like it would be hard to do, right, And this this this Chinese businessman was like reverse engineering there. It's kind of actually it's basically the same story as Jurassic Park and anyway, this guy has has gotten sued for a bunch of money.
Speaker 2: He got checked down.
Speaker 13: I hope, I hope it works out just as well as Jurassic Park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very funny. I will say there's a couple of really wild lines from this the CBC story I found. I'm just going to read one to you. Zoo's activities could best be described as machiavellian. At various points he outlined a plan to make x Y that's the American company. Quote feel all the time, the sort of damocles is on their heads and brag the law is strong, but the outlaws are ten times stronger. Okay, look Jesse Jabez, my hero, the sperm Bandit incredible sperm jacker, one of the best spur layers in the business.
Speaker 2: This man lives on an island with his cow raptors.
Speaker 1: What a hero. There was also a case of a Japanese man who illegally took wagyu cattle sperm to China to try to give them sperm, and like the Chinese government immediately caught him and was like, no, this is actually incredibly dangerous, Like you're not allowed to just take animal breeding material into the country. Without because you know, there's a wide variety of reasons that that could be in horribly so he got in a shipload of trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's my that's my stories. Everybody.
Speaker 2: Thank you for rob.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, thank you for spurgling my knowledge. Garrison. Oh, we're back, and James is here to talk to us about the kind of sperm jacking that you do when you don't jack. I'm talking about jacking your own sperm by keeping it inside of you semen retention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's how is that Jims beautiful? Unscripted? Did you just yeh didn't even write that, garrisons on the back of his hand. He had a brain wave at two in the morning and I got that down.
Speaker 1: But those are the kind of things you can do when you've been podcasting as long.
Speaker 14: As I cum space for several years.
Speaker 1: I've been in those soggy trenches for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. All right, we are, after all at work, so let me continue. So I'm going to talk about what happens when you keep your home inside you. Uh okay, yeah, this is the thing. What are we doing today?
Speaker 1: This is this is critical journalisten.
Speaker 2: We are making content, doing talking of content. Let's talk about the content of some Reddit posters. So the what's called the seamen retention movement, and this will this will shock many of you began on Reddit dot com.
Speaker 14: Oh my god, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah, like so many one.
Speaker 1: I feel like on Reddit, I feel like if you type that endo your phone, it would have finished the sentence the same.
Speaker 2: What has auto directed to Reddit? Believe me, we're gonna go there, Garrison, because when you google sperm retention, you do indeed find some stuff on Reddit. So now they've spun off from Reddit, right, they now have their own organization, which is no FAP dot com uh and No fat dot com is a community centered sexual health platform. I'm I'm using, I'm allowing them to define themselves here, I guess designed to help people overcome poor addiction and compulsive sexual behavior, which is is not necessarily like like the this isn't the like not all cemen retention, as we're going to learn, is based in helping people become addiction to porn, but so far as that is a thing that that people actually have. And if someone was accusing Robert of being addicted to porn on on his timeline, this weekend.
Speaker 1: That would be because I eat ratio and Jordan Peterson with the Yeah, the pornography video that he mistaking the post that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I just want him to respond so I can ask him, Jordan, tell me in your own words, what you thought was happening in that video.
Speaker 2: I really hope he thinks it's like milking, Like they have rfi D collars and they get fed based on their production level. That would be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And what did you you're you're medical doctor, did you think that cum actually worked that way? Just stick a sucker.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yeah, just get it out. Okay. So after after this movement began, I read it dot com. It quickly pivoted to kind of offering all kinds of weird physical and mental health benefits, and that's where it was adopted by friends of the podcast, The Proud Boys. Luckily, we do have a bit of insight into why and into the exact nature of the no fat fascism that the Proud Boys practice thanks to Kyle Cheney, who's a Politico reporter who was reporting on the trial of one of the Proud Boys accused of tradition on January sixth, called Zach Rell and that trial for reasons that I'm not exactly clear on the proud boy. I guess it's like the handbook like that, the kind of prowdboy Bible was introduced and into the record.
Speaker 1: Yeah's in there.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's in the court record, buddy, because on the lawyers decided that it was.
Speaker 1: To the case.
Speaker 2: So a proud boy may not ejaculate alone more than once in every thirty days. That means he must abstained from pornography during that time. And if he needs to ejaculate, this is really weird, it must be within one yard of a woman. Fascinatingly spec yeah, yeah right, And I like that they've they've gone with imperial measurements with her consent, so that's nice. The woman may not be a prostitute, so that that's the proud poison nature. There no fat fairstuism. But I think I think the way of understanding why some people practice this perhaps best is to is to go on to reddit dot com. So I found a post by Reddit user u slash monk one nine one eight one seven. It seems like a nice guy, and there are four hundred, four hundred hy up votes on What I did was I went to seaman retention and I looked at you know, sorted by popular posts, found this one from a bunch of numbers. And so this guy has nine years of experience with semen retention. So I'm just going to read I'm presuming oh.
Speaker 1: Boy, yeah yeah, yeah yeah, him and some months off the coast of fucking lind Sparring.
Speaker 2: That cannot be healthy. Yeah no, I don't think it is. There is I will get to this evidence that you shouldn't do this. Uh So, in his nine years of experience, he has experienced the following things. Semen, when retained in our bodies, has healing, rejuvenating effects. Loss of seamen has the opposite effects. This may not be scientifically proven, but it's proven by experience. That's a red flag. That's interesting getting Reddit medical advice. While attempting any task that demands high physical, mental, or intellectual abilities, if we are semen retention powered, we would actually enjoy the task, which would otherwise seem dull. This is called sexual energy transmutation in layman's terms.
Speaker 8: Oh no, wait, that's the layman's what's the non laymen term?
Speaker 2: It's got even more. I have no idea spermozoic fucking fission. So for peak performance it's always necessary to be powered by semen. It would be best to use semen only for regenerating purposes, since nature originally intended it for regeneration, and not use it for sexual purposes apart from the create a child. If not serving that purpose, Master whatever teach techniques are useful in not letting the seed out while having sex. At the end of the day, don't let your seed out like a worthless thing. There's more so, just contain yourself great great, which is exactly the reason why core religions are based on celibacy, because opposite of regeneration is degeneration, which will cause a man to fall into a lower state controlled by his lower nature, rather than when he's subduing it. We should let semen retention be part of our lives, not something that is done for superpowers. For superpowers are in my experience, it's the sudden ecstasy that we feel once we transition from the degenerated to the regenerated state, and that will stabilize after some time, similar to how a flight maintained stable altitude after take off. Very very similar. Actually, yeah, that's that's what you can hear when the when the engine are spinning up. If just a do track really hard not to nut and it makes that noise.
Speaker 13: So excited for the next Marvel film where the where the superheroes.
Speaker 1: Not come so he can get tiny.
Speaker 2: No fat man. So yeah he didn't. I should add that this person confesses to having lapsed at some point in the nine years. Yeah it's.
Speaker 1: Armstrong was on steroids. It's just disappointing.
Speaker 2: No one would have seen it coming. See what I did there. Okay, So this person then urges other posters on the Semia retention subreddit to not use streaks to outperform others or look better about ourselves or bring others down. The battle with luster is a lifelong fight, and then we get better at finding victories. Yeah yeah, buddy, finding victories over internal battles, the better we become as high valued men.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, I've often wished that, you know, if the if the pandemic hadn't been a thing, and I could force you all to work in a central location, I could have like a wall of murals where I put under each of your faces a quote from an episode that you've participated in, and James that that would be your quote the battle it's lusts a lifelong struggle.
Speaker 2: Yeah that, I'll get some T shirts knocked up and we can do a fund.
Speaker 13: Would we eventually get the cools on media offices? But you have a portrait hanging on the wall if you one quote underneath.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, on a plaque with a yeah, let me get the cools.
Speaker 1: When we when we take over the meta offices three weeks from now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a marketing company that has been emailing me for about six months telling me how cheap it is to buy a billboard by the side of a road and send a message to a loved one. So maybe great, maybe doing bang array Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, Well there will be until I put my positive messages about the controlling lust and holding semen inside our bodies true and return men to their former glory. So a lot of the a lot of the Reddit posts rely on a couple of different studies, right, and one of these studies measured participants. A lot of what they're doing is are claiming to increase testosterone right right at the bat. Testosterone does have Aslan's Armstrong can tell you some performance enhancing benefits so yeah, you know, increases your muscle growth, your your coverage from exercise, all that stuff. One of the studies measured participates testosterone levels baseline before masturbation and then in ten minute intervals after masturbation, right, And then they were asked to abstain for three weeks and they came back and they did the process again. Testosterone was higher in the baseline measurement at the at the end of the three weeks of abstinence, right, But the sample size was pretty small, and there's some theorizing that the boost was actually caused by the anticipated masturbation that they were about to do. At the second it was so ready to go. Yeah, yeah, he's guns. Yeah, you're just ready to pop. After three weeks, the second study looked at a forty five percent intury, so after a few days seven days of abstinence. But even the study showed this was a temporary peak that returned to normal even with continuing abstinence. So there's there's just these two studies. They're pretty they happened a long time ago. We'll post them all in the show notes if you guys want to read more about novap science. But we should just point out that there is, in fact a multitude of evidence this is a bad idea that having sex is actually good for you. Having sex will toward trying not to ejaculate. It's probably not for you, probably not good for your relationship either. One would surmise, there are that whatever, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, well yeah, if that's your thing, you do you do you. There was a study that investigated the motivation for semen and retention among semen and retainers, and a lot of it it seemed like it people were people who felt that like either sex or masturbation was unhealthy or wrong or sinful. And there is evidence to show that like feeling like guilty about yourself or like living with stress and self learning like that is bad for you, right, and that will reduce your test asterone level. There's also some evidence to suggest that not ejaculating can give you prostate issues.
Speaker 1: Which yes, yeah, there's there's and this is like pretty debatable, like most things that people talk about with in regards to coming and health, like you can find some studies, like the studies on testosterone. Some of them are kind of sketchy anyway, Yeah, I don't think oh, come or come either way, you know it's whatever, but if you do have a chance to fuck one of those Ali Baba robots, I recommend it keep out.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about cum demons.
Speaker 13: Hell yeah, wait, okay, okay, hard, hard pivot here from THESS.
Speaker 8: So, okay, we we are not going as far afield from the no fat.
Speaker 2: People as as as as you would think.
Speaker 8: Okay, but all right, now, the year is twenty twenty. Everyone on Earth has collectively gone insane. This is this is this is the summer. This is the summer of twenty twenty. So this is the part of twenty twenty where fun stuff is happening. This is like late July, oh, Garrison, that's when we met.
Speaker 13: So yeah, we were getting just incredibly poisoned.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, we sure we're that'll be fun in like twenty years.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 15: Well, while life or death struggle for the sort of the life for death struggle for the fate of the United States and whether or not people are going to be conducing murdered by the cops is being waged in the streets.
Speaker 8: Uh, Donald Trump, but Donald J. Trumpron, Donald J. Trump, Wow, Donald Trump Junior. That one, that's that's that's the Trump little Trump here. Yeah, Trump we're you know, looking for looking looking for their their their their curre to COVID nineteen on Twitter. And okay, so as we probably all remember, right, the thing that they found was hydroxy. Okay, so one of the first ones that they found before before I've remact him, this is, this is before we found much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was it inside of them all along?
Speaker 8: Mayn No, this is this is this is hydrogy chlorically the thing that was probable.
Speaker 2: I hope they weren't full of hydrocic I thought it was. No.
Speaker 8: No, Well we'll get to that where there there's a The road is long, but it ends with cum demons. We first must walk the road. So the road here is Donald Donald Trump Junior posts to tweet saying like this, saying this is necessary watching about this video from this doctor named doctor Stella Emmanue. Now, okay, who is this person? She she is part of ah okay, I say part of. She runs this thing called Firepower Ministries, which so you're going great, she's also part.
Speaker 1: Of I know, broadly Yeah, okay, cool.
Speaker 8: She's also part of America's frontline doctors who are yeah, yeah, I've forgotten. Yeah, these dipshits, Oh my god, Okay, so this is this is very very very much in the same vein as architect nine to eleven Truths. They found a bunch of people who technically have medical degrees or like nurses who were like, no, no vaccines are bad and hydroxychloricalleine contractor corn clean is we'll covid cork with that one. Yeah, it's it's, it's been, it's it's been a long day. I've slept for eight hours, but in like several distinct parts of the day that were not continuous.
Speaker 2: It's been.
Speaker 8: Things are going, things are going great.
Speaker 2: Fact, if you've taken some horse medicine first.
Speaker 8: Quite possibly, I mean it's not like it could have gone worse, all right, right, So so that this person's from the very sketchy doctors who are trying to sell like a bunch of random ship to to cure covid. And okay, so who actually is this person? She is from camera Rooon and doctor Stella. Meant Immanue was caught up in uh, the unbelievably sort of like i mean right, like yes, objectively right wing, also very very weird wave of Pentecostalism and charismatic Christianity that been sweeping across that part of Africa and as part of sort of a you know, sort of like a very sort of long range of coordinated effort by by right when Christian missionaries. So okay, So for for people who don't know your Christianity very well, the Pentecostals and the charismatic Christians are like firmly in the very very weird camp of Christians. Like these are these are the people who do faith healing. One of the very common sort of Pentecostal things is this belief that like like you just you talk to God, like God's in your head and you just have conversations with Him. Now, unfortunately for like all of us, and this is you know what a thing that is a non insignificant contributing factor to why the last I don't know ten years have been so bat shit is that like this originally was kind of an isolated Pentecostal thing, and like the broader evangelicals were like, no, no, no, God only talks to me like your pastor like it's probably not like you're you're not like having a conversation in your head with but like change that's changed. Yeah, this shit has, this shit has fucking taken over everywhere. It's really bad. And these people believe a lot of very very weird stuff. So well, I mean, okay, so, like, you know, she she has like some of the sort of standard like really really hardline like David iike shit, Like she believes that the world's being run by aliens and like reptiles, and like the vaccine has like alien DNA in it to like take over your data.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 8: It's just like sort of kind of Facebook moments Alex Jones, Shit, yeah right, okay, but okay, I'm gonna read this quote from will Sumner. This is a quote from one of her her sermons. They, which is, demons are responsible for serious guynecological problems. And Manuel said, we call them all kinds of names, and Tromesus and Travisius, we call them molar pregnancies, we call them fibroids, we call them cysts, but most of them were evil deposits from spirit husband.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, they are responsible for miscarriage's impotence men that can't get it up.
Speaker 2: So all right, immediately we we have like we have there are.
Speaker 8: Several kinds of cum demons here that we're dealing with. So there are like there, there's, there's there's Okay. So a lot of this is drawn from what is a very like a genu widely.
Speaker 2: Unbelievably dubious piece of theology.
Speaker 8: So when I was researching this, right, I saw, I saw, I saw someone there there was there was like a religious scholar who was writing this. He was like, oh, I immediately recognized the theology of this. This is from this is from Genesis six.
Speaker 2: So okay.
Speaker 8: So I was like, Okay, what what the fuck are they talking about? So I went back and I read. Okay, So I went back and I read the Genesis, and I'm going to read the two this is. This is from Genesis chapter six, verses one and two, and I am just going to read these two sentences, and I'm going to see if you two can produce cum demons from this.
Speaker 2: Okay, happy, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I could produce com demons from almost anything. That is that is the power.
Speaker 2: With the right machinery.
Speaker 1: You know what, I think we know exactly what the right machinery is.
Speaker 8: Look, we know that we can produce com demons mechanically. Our challenge here is to produce them theologically. Okay, try I will, I will use all of all of.
Speaker 2: My claim knowledge.
Speaker 1: We must we must find a way to evacuate the vast deference of the soul.
Speaker 8: Okay, so I'm using I'm using the King James translation because that's the translation that all these psychos use. And it came to pass when men began to multiply on the face of the earth and daughters were born onto them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of man that they were fair, and they took them wives of all which they chose. Okay, so I I do know where they're I do know what they are doing. So the sons of God those would be what like fallen angels that have been procreating with women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 13: This ties into like the Book of Enoch stuff, which was made a little bit like after Genesis but kind of like retconned a lot of like the creation story. So I can see where they're they're pulling cum demons from. But it is it is a bit of a stretch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're kind of you could say cum demons in the way that like God seed. Yeah, you could see it. Yeah, it's that's it is a stretch.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: Okay, my my my analysis, because I I think I I think they're pulling this out of their ass.
Speaker 2: And I think they're pulling this out of their ass. It's also about cum demons. So yeah, okay.
Speaker 8: Like I I I have it is well known for people who follow me on Twitter that I have an immense and powerful disrespect for theology. But what what part of the sons of God? What what part of that gets you to demons?
Speaker 2: And not?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 8: Because again, isn't the whole point of Christianity that we are all God's children? Like, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Is this not a thing that they tell you in every single fucking sir?
Speaker 8: How do you read that and not think they're talking about people and immediately jump to come to you a bit like, here's what's going on?
Speaker 13: I could, I could explain this because this is the King James version. So this was made in a post Book of Enoch world. Around the around the alleged birth of Jesus, the Book of Enoch got very popular and this this introduced the idea of a fallen angel. The fallow fallen angel isn't really in the Bible at all, It's only it's only in like non biblical Abrahamic texts. So this this idea then kind of got planted into a lot of like Catholic mythology as well. So when they're there caused they have a distinction between like the like the sons of like the sons of God versus what was the what was the thing they used to refer to the daughters.
Speaker 8: The sons are the daughters of men exactly, So the daughters are human, where the the the sons are like came from God.
Speaker 13: So that is some type of fallen angel that has been asked down to earth. They are doing a specific thing, but it's it's it's it's a result of a whole bunch of like mistranslations and a whole bunch of various various like Christian and Gnostic texts that been that have been misinterpreted for thousands of years by the Catholic Church, and it creates a really weird theology that is indistinguishable from like Castlevania.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I blame I blamed Martin lud This is Martin Luther's fault, like like, here's.
Speaker 2: The thing, here's the thing. Keep it in high latins, understand.
Speaker 8: This, this is this is this is what Martin Luther. I'm specifically because okay. So this was already happy. The cath the Church was already doing this right. But Martin Luther had a chance to fix this ship. And she was like, do you know what I'm gonna do and say, is that I am going to I am going to turn against the peasant revolts and I'm going to do a lot. I'm going to bring about a level of anti Semitism that is going to allow me to outflank the Inquisition on the right. She could have been fixing this bullshit no anti seven is I gotta keep my patron lords and down he was.
Speaker 1: He was German, like, there's only so much you can ask.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well I'm happy that we can all go to sleep at night worrying about the sons of God implanting semen.
Speaker 2: There's okay.
Speaker 8: So that that's that's com demon type type one, right, That is okay. So though those are those are the demons that like they they have they have sex with women and they produce nephilim from or sometimes also nephelin. There's there's a lot of sort of conflicting sort of theology.
Speaker 13: All that stuff comes from the Book of Enoch, All that stuff is non canon to the modern Bible, but it's where it's where it comes from.
Speaker 1: Sucking Council of nicea.
Speaker 8: Okay, but there's also there's also a second there's also the second kind of cum demon, right, which is these are the these are well okay, so so succuby and incuby are based here.
Speaker 2: We go, I do it.
Speaker 8: I was it was counting down the the other kind of of demon. So you have your incub by, right, who are another type of sex demon, and the incuby fuck men so they can steal their semen and they're they're they're you know, there's some statements are reasons that. There's another thing that she talks about, which is that there are witches who have like astral spirit sex with men in their sleep. And if you're like having a sex stream, it's because you're having actual spirit sex.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I mean like I like Bill Murray, I've I've experienced that. Oh no, that was Bill Murray. Sorry, my mistake.
Speaker 8: Oh wait, yes, okay, okay, the cloud the fog is clearing. I've I've had I've had sex with too many sex demons. It's it's a real issue.
Speaker 2: Okay. So, so all right.
Speaker 8: So we have the sex demons who are like trying to pregnant. You have the sex demons, you're trying to steal your cump. We also have the actual we have the actual projecting projecting witches, right, and the actual projecting witches are trying to steal people's come as part of an Illuminati plot to create like an even more powerful witch. And the even more powerful witch is going to use gay marriage and children's toys to like destroy the fabric of Western civilization. That does bring about sort of jen general new World order, ETCA have heard this.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Lan Witch meetings, Yeah, it is not as far from the backstory to Warhammer forty thousand as it should be.
Speaker 8: That's very sadly true.
Speaker 2: I didn't want Warhammer forty thousands coming to our com episode if I'm honahed, No, it's.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, there's a lot of people who are interested in both Semen Retention and Warhammer forty thousand.
Speaker 2: That's a tight vendram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they all play Ultra Marines. That was ah, that's yeah, pretty good Warhammer forty thousand joke for those of you who play.
Speaker 8: I also learned a couple of days ago that I one of the many crimes of the Emperor forty K was passing off in a Miri Bakara quote as his own.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that that is that was That was a good bit. That was a really good bit. It's little pieces like that that let you know that Dan Abnetz pretty bass. That was my favorite part of the book.
Speaker 2: So funny. That's like, that's literally cannon.
Speaker 13: I do have like three pages written on Tanning. So yeah, little bit. That's that's that's the end of the same stems go off. Well, okay, I The one thing I'll add on is that one of the more funny modern versions of these, if you go on the betted drill subreddit the recreational pedetul subreddit, you can fight pop who try to take enough beta drill to have sex with the hat man, which is another.
Speaker 2: Another form of trying to sum a shadow people. Maybe you have to you have.
Speaker 1: To explain your terms for people here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a man.
Speaker 1: The man is a tall, thin man wearing a hat who appears when you take hallucinogenic doses of ben a drill because you can't afford better drugs because you're seventeen.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're younger, and there's some people the hat man.
Speaker 13: Some people find the hat man extremely attractive, or some of like the female shadow people variants and they try to I have read multiple reports of people explaining their sexual experiences with shadow people.
Speaker 8: Anyways, the President of the United States and his son were promoting this, so this is great.
Speaker 2: This website, by the way, absolute adventures on here. I'm just reading about how to use Christ's blood as a weapon. Amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no problems here. Yeah. Do you know who won't steal your semen? Everybody?
Speaker 1: We can't promise that.
Speaker 2: I can.
Speaker 13: I can promise any advertiser on this show. I've personally approved to make sure they will not come into your bedroom and steal your semen.
Speaker 2: Wow, how do you do? How's the approval? Press work is out of interest. I cannot divulge privately.
Speaker 1: Since Garrison for.
Speaker 13: We are we are going to close off by talking about a an testosterone, two of our favorite topics for this episode. For some reason, about a year ago, a trailer on Fox News dropped for a new batch of Tucker Carlson originals, titled The End of Men. It opens with the text that reads, in the current year.
Speaker 1: The cycle continues.
Speaker 17: Once a society collapses, then if you're in hard times, well, hard iron sharpens iron, as they'd say, and those hard times inevitably produce men who are tough, men, who are resource for, men who are strong enough to survive, and then they go on to re establish order, and so the cycle begins again.
Speaker 13: Now there's a few funny things about this video, from the ripped shirtless dudes milking cows, to wrestling each other and shooting bottles of canola oil. There's had a hundred inche that is shooting like ten bottles of canola oil for some reason.
Speaker 2: Maybe the Mussolini's leg there into the Mussolini staff.
Speaker 13: He was bye by far the most bizarre.
Speaker 1: I suspect they're shooting the canola because it's like a seed oil thing. They think that like a right wing thing. Oils are like sucking out your testosterone.
Speaker 13: Anyway, it's something very silly, but by far the most bizarre thing in this trailer is a shot of a naked man with outstretched arms like Jesus on the Cross of style, standing in front of a lake at dusk, with a white machine shining a glowing red light on his Dick. What and again powerful image at the clibax of the music from two thousand and one Space Odyssey. Uh, there's this there's this man facing balls first in front of this large red light at the end of this trailer.
Speaker 1: I there should never have been any cause on our podcast or on Fox News for anyone to save the line after the end of the climax of the music from two thousand and one a Space odysty.
Speaker 8: Oh, that's the thing we're objecting to from this episode, that's the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because it shouldn't a climax. It lost its power in that moment. Considering both like the No.
Speaker 1: One second James, that was a very good joke.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you for seeing me, buddy.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So considering both like the text at the beginning and then some of the narration that we just heard in the trailer, they're kind of doing this weird like Cali yoga thing, right that is that is a bit of a bit of what's going on here.
Speaker 1: Because again you can listen to our episodes on Savitri Devi for a little more information about this. But it's like this weird right wing con like quasi apocalyptic concept that evolved during an in between some of the early Nazis and some of the people who are currently behind the present leader of India. It's it's way too esoteric and weird to get into, but it's one of the things that.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it's the real fun like it. We're not going to get into it too much. But I think the previous.
Speaker 1: Wound up adjacent to at Tucker Carlson episode because it's some like weird esoteric Nazi wizard ship.
Speaker 13: Yes, and that previous November, Joe Rogan posted a Cali Yuga meme which went viral. It's it's about how hard times creates strong men, which create good times, which lead to weak men, which create hard times. It's a fucking silly his, his, his, the h The accompanying text on the Instagram post that that Rogan did said, civilizations move in predictable cycles. We are in the Kali Yuga, the age of conflict. All of the chaos we're seeing right now is predicted in Hinduism thousands of years ago. Rogan was probably just like parroting something that he heard from one of his many Fashy or new ag friends, which, considering Rogan's social circle, that could very well, just be the same person.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, one of his fucking sparring buddies is either friends with the Nazi or just stumbled upon a fucking the wrong podcast and then told him that when they were smoking weed. And you know, yes, I mean that's honestly to it's problematic because of his platform, but that's how I learned. Everything about esoterica that I learned when I was in my twenties was some I was smoking weed with some sketchy dude who was going places I shouldn't have been on the internet.
Speaker 13: So a few months after Rogan posted this meme, we have Tucker Carlson making this whole mini series surrounding this Hard Times Creates Strong Men kind of trend. It's taking cues from the online manosphere, and Tucker posited that weak, unmanly men are leading to the collapse of civilization and a hardening of men is necessary to save it. According to according to Tucker, one of the one of the threats to manhood is a quote unquote total collapse in testosterone levels amongst men in recent years. And the solution goes beyond just your typical like anti soy crusading that Tucker has done in the past. Now, Tucker has turned to the cutting edge science of bromiopathic medicine as advocates.
Speaker 18: God damn it, as advocated for by a quote unquote fitness professional named Andrew McGovern who touts that infrared light and testical tanning is this disex marketa for plummeting tea levels in men.
Speaker 4: So obviously half the viewers right now are like, what, that's testical tanning.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: But my view is, Okay, testosterone levels crash and nobody says anything about it. That's crazy, So why is it crazy to seek solutions?
Speaker 2: It's not crazy to seek solutions.
Speaker 7: And I think I was recently exposed to a term called bromeopathy, and I think there's a lot of people out there right now that are don't trust the mainstream information.
Speaker 13: This TV special is constantly referred to as a documentary, so surely you would expect Tucker to try and like interview scientists or like anyone with expertise on this topic. Of course, not actually not the case. Andrew McGovern are our bromeopathic hero. Works as a personal trader at Lifetime Fitness in Columbus, Ohio, and he hasn't even been a trader for very long. About a decade ago. About a decade ago, he was the manager of an Abercrobie and Fitch store in Miami.
Speaker 1: Perfect now descriptions from works at the Grumby and Finish store.
Speaker 2: Wait, but in Miami.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you want to get trim that's where you get trimmed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is That type of dude is emerging here. As of twenty seventeen, he was the director of operations for Petland retail stores.
Speaker 6: He's getting funnier.
Speaker 2: But this guy's resume is finally amusing.
Speaker 13: But Tucker, being a competent journalist, did not just interview one person. However, Kid Rock was brought on to be the sole voice of reasons.
Speaker 1: You know, Garrison, you left, But Kid Rock is the other person. I've gotten prescription drugs from so.
Speaker 2: Real bastion. In the platonic cave of men stands Kid Rock and a guy from Abercrombie and Fitch. We must only beat their shadows.
Speaker 16: Dude, stop testicle Danny, come on, I mean, yeah, I haven't heard anything, Bobby. I'm starting a punk rock band and it's called Testical Tanning.
Speaker 2: That's the end of it.
Speaker 4: I mean, don't you think at this point, when so many of the therapies, the paths they've told us to take, have turned out to be dead ends that have really hurt people, why wouldn't open minded people seek new solutions.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the hell is going on in this world. I'm not even sure if I understood that question. But some days I just want to stop this planet, let me off.
Speaker 13: Like Kid Rock was not did not buy into testical tanning the same way Tucker seems to.
Speaker 1: How, oh God is kid.
Speaker 8: What I said?
Speaker 2: I said he was brought out to be the sole but we thought you were joking because it's Kid.
Speaker 1: You were joking.
Speaker 2: No, he's the only kid Rock stands with science.
Speaker 1: It is indeed sweet Home, Alabama all summer long.
Speaker 13: Tucker was not the first person to advocate for testicular tanning as the solution to an allegedly problematic dip in testosterone levels. Dating back to twenty fifteen, you can find articles online such as quote former MLB player Gabe Kapler says men who want to get stronger should tan their testicles from complex and quote I put a giant red light on my balls to triple white testosterone levels from a Men's Health twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Is that written by Ben Greenfield Benny Johns because he normally pops up with these things, which one the Men's health one.
Speaker 13: Me Let me see a guy who injected to have a dick to make it bigger. I have it in my show notes here. This was written by someone named Ben Greenfield.
Speaker 2: Pot this balland has one games.
Speaker 1: So proud of you today, buddy.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy we have you on our team.
Speaker 1: Dates are you taking? Are you taking performance enhancing drugs? For this podcast?
Speaker 2: Should be Robert I'm not. This is so funny. We have stepped into a gold mind of contact with Ben Greenfield, the guy who injected his own dick with stem cells to make it bigger. That's so funny. Then you compel you. If you have any free time in your day, just google Ben Greenfield penis. There will be several articles. It's supposedly reptible outlets. It will just fucking make you unwell. Well, that's that is great to hear it.
Speaker 13: But despite not being the first person to talk about testicular tanning, Tucker was certainly the most impactful. After the airing of the End of Men testicular tanning showed a seven thousand increase in relative search interest on Google and thirty five thousand increase in tweets on the topic. Now, surely some of these things are stuff like making fun of it right some weeks, I'm sure, yeah, but a lot of it also a lot of it's also people who are just talking about it genuinely. To quote a study published in j M I R, a dermatology publication, quote, the promotion of testicular tanning generated significant public interest in an evidence lacking and potentially dangerous health trend. Dermatologists and other healthcare professionals should be aware of these new viral health trends to best consultations and combat health misinformation unquote. So like in terms of actual data, a twenty seventeen meta analysis of studies on sperm counts found that in North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, men's sperm counts have declined by about fifty percent between nineteen seventy three and twenty eleven. Now, these results have not been enough to really cause broad concern unless you're like a right wing influencer for men, because there doesn't really seem to be an equal drop in testosterone levels compared.
Speaker 1: To previt problems mankind has had on the whole, not enough seamen comshot.
Speaker 13: It's not one of the yes and like compared to previous decades. There is this maybe like a twenty percent decrease in total testosterone levels amongst adolescent and young adult males, but that's highly fluxtual and it's packed it heavily by diet. It's suspected that pollution environmental degradation are also suspected of being contributing factors, with plastics like a thighlight being known to interfere with the production of hormones like distosterone. But this area of research is still heavily contested. But still that has not stopped fitness YouTubers and conservative influencers from tying this to like the soy boy feminization of men and drumming up panic to grow their social media followings, sell their supplements and advertise affiliate products. The krem Dela creme of red lights for testicular tanning is the Juve Light A Light. Juve is a light therapy panel company which sells these LEDs. They're like this, They're like this upscale wellness brand. The smallest model they have costs over one thousand dollars, with the full body ones going for around ten grand.
Speaker 2: This is when you know it's a grift. If someone is telling you that they need to sell you sunlight, they are having a fucking laugh.
Speaker 13: Our friend Ben Greenfield advocates a quote that advocates that you spend the big bucks on juve lest do you quote fry your balls to a crisp with a cheap knock off.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't want to do that, would you.
Speaker 2: Wise, Yeah, it seems like it's maybe a bad idea.
Speaker 1: I can teach you how to how to how to cook your balls safely without spending any money at all. Get a pair of double A batteries, take them right out of your out of your uh, your your your your remote control. You stick the active in in a bottle of water, and then you put your hand on your testicles and you're a it'll it'll complete the circuit and power your testicles up with electricity, which you can then ejaculate instead of come.
Speaker 2: They'll probably give you superpowers too.
Speaker 1: Almost certainly, Garrison.
Speaker 8: Legally, this is not a recommendation to do this. If you do this, that shit's not on us. You did that your olation yet, please do not connect batteries to.
Speaker 13: You dick to quote that JMR study evaluating the public's interest into secular tanning quote. The interest in this topic may be partially explained by the men's attention and advertising men's of sexual health on hormone replacement or homone enhancing therapies receive in the US. Although subsequent media coverage largely disfavored testicular tanning due to lacking evidence and potential dangers, other health influencers came to defend and encourage the practice of testicular tanning, specifically by using UV light as an unquote. As an example, here is a clip from fitness YouTuber Elliott Hulsey's Strength Camp with one point seven million followers.
Speaker 19: Blast your balls with sunshine to increase the stosterone. Now, you can drop your draws and let your balls get kissed by the sun, or you can try one of these light panels to roast my nuts and be more manly. Nineteen thirty nine studies suggests that you UV light exposure to your testicles increases testosterone by two hundred percent. If you want to join me in this experiment, you can find one of these bad boys a Hoseyhealth dot com. Then just go to personal labs dot com, get your blood tested, get your testosterone. Then after eight to twelve weeks, check it again and find out if the nut rusting really works.
Speaker 13: So this whole idea goes back to this one nineteen thirty nine. Studies eighteen thirty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Now let's of goot schied to nineteen thirty nine. Man.
Speaker 13: And if there's one thing I trust, it's science from nineteen thirty nine.
Speaker 2: Yep, got any comments on or on race in this study.
Speaker 13: So this study was published in the journal ender Chronology, and it found that frequent UV irritation to the genitals increased urinary and drostererone, a metabolite of testosterone. It increases levels by nearly two hundred percent quote unquote. Now you'll be shocked to learn that there may be problems with this study. Guess how many test subjects were included in this In this study.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be generous and say eight. So Mia says eight. James and Green failed just one. One. You say one, Robert, how many? How many do you think you're in the study?
Speaker 1: Geez I think like seven was sacred to the Nazis.
Speaker 13: So I'm going to say that five, a grand total of five people are in the study.
Speaker 2: Wow, I give the too much credit.
Speaker 1: They had to pick this sacred discordion number. Bullshit.
Speaker 13: Three of them are fifty four years old and have manic depressive psychosis.
Speaker 2: The other two are twenty.
Speaker 1: Honestly not a bad apparently representative sample for Tucker's audience.
Speaker 2: I was about to say the same thing, is actually who watches his show?
Speaker 13: The other two are twenty eight and forty five and have a quote psychopathia with depressive features.
Speaker 2: Which is a very old timey term everyone on Twitter, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 13: But I think what actually and is I think they did this study at an asylum. I just found people with depressive psychosis to do the study on it. It's just these five, these five rand people. No, no individual graft results were produced. It only showed the quote unquote typical reaction and there wasn't even a control group for the study. That not to mention, there's many problems with like measuring distosterone in the first place, because it changes broadly day to day and by age, and it's very kind of unreliable to quote the JMIR study again. Quote Beyond this questionable study, research has shown that exposure to UV radiation may increase sex steroid hormone levels. However, these studies either do not include human participants or do not specifically evaluate UV radiation exposure to the genitals. There is there is not a single other study since then that has done anything resembling like peer reviewed science.
Speaker 1: You know what why everybody go to go to go fund me, help cool zone determine whether or not testical tanning works and we'll get that control group.
Speaker 8: Okay, so what my my other question about this, aren't aren't all these people getting fucking ball cancer?
Speaker 2: We are? We are. Okay, we are about to get to that.
Speaker 13: Because yes, you may think that shining you for you lights on your balls might have some long term problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great, a lot of sound. Sturt's come back to the episode again.
Speaker 13: So uh Vice interviewed Seth Cohen, a urologist and the director of the sexual Dysfunction Program at n y U Langdon Health.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 13: I'm not aware of any science or data or any journal publications proving that red light therapy improves male testosterone. End quote, we change recommendations on medical therapies based on a double blind, placebo controlled randomized trials, large studies with thousands of patients. That's where you'll find if there's any really cistical significance between red light therapy and a placebo Could these men who underwent red light therapy and came out and felt stronger and more manly, could that have been a placebo effect?
Speaker 2: Of course it could.
Speaker 13: Unquote so and as Mia mentioned, we have not really even gotten into the potential dangers yet. Close direct heat to your testicles actually damages sperm count on top of the risk of giving yourself ball cancer by blasting concentrated UV light on your genitals for twenty minutes a day, every day of the week, which is what is recommended to quote that study one last time quote research shows that excessive exposure to UV radiation may lead to higher rates of genital tumor formation and decreased sperm counts, as spermo to genesis is temperature dependent. Thus, given the current obsession with optimizing mail hormone levels, the high cost of red light therapy, and misleading information labeling of testicular tan by prominent influencers, there may be an increase in men exposing themselves to UV radiation and developing associated complications. Unquote great heroic, So guys, almost done here. But man, it's pretty it's pretty funny that all of the worst people you know are going to get ball cancer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't stop them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I you know, there was a period of time in my life when I said where I will never rich cancer on anybody. But if you are deliberately exposing your testicles for the sun, to the sun and the hope of getting superpowers because of Nazi science, it's okay. It's it's okay, Like I'm not going to warn that.
Speaker 2: To be fair, the nineteen thirty nine study was from the United States, so it.
Speaker 1: Be talking about the other Nazi science.
Speaker 13: Yes, yeah, yeah, well yeah, And I think I think a part of this whole narrative of like the total collapse of men's to stosterone levels, as as Tucker puts it, man, I fucking wish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so much easier.
Speaker 13: But I think this is more about men in power feeling that their position of assumed superiority is being threatened. Really, all of our quack science and conspiracy theory stories today all revolve around this like subliminal dog whistle. It's no mistake that Tucker titled his program the End of Men. In all the stories we're covering today, it is the fear of emasculation that is the hook used to drum up fear and anger about how liberal feminism is eroding manhood. It targets some of young men's sexual insecurities while promoting this like anti woke return to the old ways of rugged masculinity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might add, because I think you're missing one aspect of it. I think you're identifying what he's signaling to his listeners and what they get out of it. But I also think that what he and the other folks who are kind of in positions of power and influence in the right get out of this because they're not they don't believe this, they're not actually motivated by that. Now what this is, and because we do not know specifically why, like testosterone rates, maybe lower white sperm counts are definitely lower, but it likely has to do with a massive variety of industrial pollutants in the environment, and with the fact that industrial agriculture and the process nature of a lot of our foods is having a negative impact on all these things, like it's consequences of capitalism, right, and because the consequences are getting increasingly hard to ignore, the thing that people like that need to do is find either a cure for them or another way to blame or another thing to blame them on.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: And so if the aspect the things that are horribly unhealthy about the society that we have built is causing men to suffer consequences in their bodies, the thing to do on the right is to blame that shit on the liberals and masculating men. And the solution is whatever kind of shit we can sell you, right, Like, that's what's going on here, that's the motivation, and it happens outside of like manshit too, Like that's all the right has anymore, Like their economic theories have been proven disastrously wrong. They have no actual ability to govern in a meaningful way other than by causing harm to people. So it's entirely about taking the consequences of the world that they advocate and blaming them on someone else and selling you snake oil to deal with it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, exactly, and so is that is most of the of the Testicular Tanning Fund that I got into.
Speaker 2: We haven't covered all the things that bank Greenfelt did to his dact in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: We'll get back on this subject, but it is time for us to end. This is already over an hour, so I want to leave you all, all of you, all of you beautiful. First, I want to thank all of our beautiful correspondence for their research, and I want to leave all of you with this simple piece of advice. If you feel like your testicles aren't getting enough solar radiation, simply purchase a glass cutter in an old microwave, cut a circular hole in the microwave, and you bag it while it's on. You'll be okay. That is our legally binding health advice. That's the end of the episode. Welcome back to It could happen here the podcast. That's happening here in your ear. And one of the things that we love talking about here is a critical ingredient towards creeping authoritarianism, towards growing corporate control and surveillance over all of our lives, which is of course technology that makes it even easier to monitor you than it already is. We're not talking primarily about like the government monitoring you because they can, you know, do stuff like just pull your phone data from a uh you know what which cell towers is pinged. We're talking about the kind of stuff that allows basically whoever can get an app on your phone to track and stalk you. And uh, yeah, I'm gonna first introduce Mia Wong Miya. Welcome to the show that you also host.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm here.
Speaker 1: So what are we what are we talking about today? And who are we talking with?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 8: So we are talking about stalker wear, which is the sort of broad name for the category of software that Robert's been talking about. And we are talking about someone who hacked well a stalker where stalker Yeah, one of the stockerware companies my arison Crime, the Fame Hacker, the No Fly List, yed returning guests, always happy to.
Speaker 6: Have you on, Yeah, always happy to be on. Yeah.
Speaker 8: So I think I think, I don't know. I think there's a real tendency among and I see this among leftists a lot, for kind of good reasons and kind of not good reasons, to really only focus on state and like large corporate actors in terms of surveillance. And that's a mistake. Yeah, totally yeah, and so I guess I guess the place where I want to start before we get into the specific company that you do do.
Speaker 1: Is it still called owned?
Speaker 2: I kin't.
Speaker 6: It's fine to call it owned or pond or whatever. I still do that sometimes people get confused.
Speaker 8: But yeah, yeah, But before we get into that, I want to I want to ask you a bit because you've done a lot of sort of I guess you could call it research, both actual research wise and then in terms of poking around their servers.
Speaker 6: Research and journalism and whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, So I wanted to just start off by asking if you can give sort of like a brief summary of what stalkerwaar is.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So stalkerware, like as a category, encompasses like a number of different types of apps. Most of them, like on the service, advertise themselves as like parental control software, which is.
Speaker 2: Already bad enough.
Speaker 6: Just to be clear that there's like advertised for like spying on your children's phone, like seeing their location in real time, seeing their messages that they receive, any photo they take. Ostensibly this is to like prevent bullying and help with them when they get depressed because they don't trust you. And talk to you for whatever reason. But obviously a lot of these are then furthermore, because that's like that, sure, that's a like target audience, that's a demographic you can advertise too. But then there's this even bigger potential target demographic of people who are insecure in their relationship, mostly men, not only men, but who are then solved this idea that they can use software like this for stalking their partner, for finding out if they are eating on you, things like that, which is obviously an even bigger problem, which once again not to discount the problems that's spying on your children's already like bad enough, But yeah, this lead, this leads to this whole like big industry of these apps being used by partners against each other, like also just by people, like against anyone in the in their surroundings that they suspect might be doing something shady, might be like talking behind their backs. It often kind of turns into like it obviously turns into this obsessive thing, especially if you solve this idea that this this app can magically solve like interpersonal issues like with anything that sells you this magic idea of being able to solve any problem that these people start kind of spying on everyone in their like circles. To some of them like not everyone. Most like a lot of people only spying like their partner or like their child or whatever. But it often like spirals out of control into this like controlling everyone in their surroundings, knowing what everyone is up to where they are, and spend like hundreds of dollars a month on doing so.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's pretty fucked up if you ask me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one of the things that's interesting too. It's also in a lot of cases illegal. This is going to vary, you know, from country to country, in state to state, but in the US there are states like California, which gets pointed out in the very good tech Crunch investigation on truth Spy, where there are really strict laws that journalists like you have to abide bias to when you can record someone that these these apps absolutely break.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's specifically a thing that doesn't. Most of these app will have like a disclaimer at the bond that it is like this might be legal in your jurisdiction and please ask for consent before doing this, And then they have lots of tutorials on how to install this in someone's device with out there. Yeah, but it's like always like a we do not take andy like we we it's not our fault if you break the law basically, which obviously, like it's so far not a lot of this has been challenged in court, but I don't think this would hold up too long. But I think just saying we make a product to do crimes with, if you do crimes of it, it's not I mean, it works for the gun industry, so yeah.
Speaker 1: The difference is that, like the with the gun industry, it's a product where there is a legal and an illegal, like clear way to do it.
Speaker 6: The thing with Stocker we are as well is that like a lot of them will also explicitly say the only real use of this we allow you to to use it for is to surveill your child, which unfortunately is legal in most jurisdictions because children are property of their parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah quo, it's because I do not agree with that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's one of those things where people using it, like someone installing an app on their exes or their their partner's phone or whatever without consent, could very easily would lose any court case, whether or not the company would get in trouble. I think is going to rely a lot on the stuff the videos they're posting about, like how to put how to get these apps on people's phones without them knowing, but like they do have that out with like no, it's just for surveilling children.
Speaker 6: Is green for anyone else you need consent or whatever. But I think it is important, yeah, to point this out very early for anyone who's listening to this because they think they might have stock Aware on their phones, or because they know they have stock Aware on their phones. You can use this in a domestic abuse case. This will immediately this is explicit proof that abuse is happening and no matter anything else, because like that's the thing generally with domestic abuse cases, it's really hard to prove abuses happening. Stalkerware and any other type of spying device like also physical GPS device trackers and stuff that is immediate proof that there is a there's controlling behavior going on, that you are being spined on. This it cannot only be used and it is explicit admissible evidence. This is also usually like makes cases worse, like not for you, like it just yeah, it like can potentially add charges and make it more serious, and that it can help making cops give a shit about like abuse, which yeah, I hate that I need to say that, but yeah, it's like it makes it more serious because there's like spyware and whatever.
Speaker 1: It's easy evidence first off, like you can prove they're spying on you, and second, if you are in one of the states where that violates the law, then you can immediately say this person is breaking the law like this is we don't have to debate whether or not they've they've crossed the line.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and even if it doesn't directly break the law to spy on someone on a partner like it, depending on the on the on the region, it can be kind of a hazy like thing, especially if it's a device you might co own, if it's like a state where you were with like cod possession or whatever. In the US, I do not know US law very much around this, but yeah, there's like laws like that. But usually still the fact that you're being spied on can be used as proof for other abuse things you might be alleging because it's like hard proof that something is happening. And also usually these companies will somewhat have to respond to some point us, so they will have to give out like who the account on there is behind like the spine on your phone. For some of them, we can also there's also tools that help you find out who is spying on you, or there's like someone with forensic background can.
Speaker 1: Help, yeah, and I think people. One thing we should note is that if you're kind of curious, has my device been infected by some of these tools, the one that we've been talking about most truth spy. If you go to that tech Crunch article.
Speaker 6: Or to my article that also has a link yet.
Speaker 1: Or to you to your article on your website, there's a tool you can use where you it'll tell you how to get your IMSI I think, I am I yeah, which you just dial a thing on your phone and it gives you that number. It's basically how you identify specific bones and you plug that in. It will let you know if your device has been compromised.
Speaker 6: Now like December last year, up until there is the data and if you yeah, it can pretty much tell you if you've been spying on using this specific tool until then. For other stuff, there's also guides, usually on tech Crunch and otherwise also on Stop stockerwear dot ARC, which is the US coalition against stocker where and also just generally, I think a lot of like more local anti stocking, anti abuse works are not as informed yet as they should be, but there's still a good like point also to reach out to or like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. One of my questions about truth Spy that I'm hoping you can answer is, I know that you can like text messages get transferred via it, your call records, all that kind of stuff, get and who you were calling. Does that include messages for like encrypted apps like Signal or is that not accessible through this?
Speaker 6: It depends, Like for some of these, it will like get signal messages, what's the messages and everything, generally by reading the notification content because like from notifications, you know, like what messages are have been like received. Sometimes it will only then have the received messages and not the send messages. Often these also include like a key logger component that maps messages then sent back as well. Depends a lot what these apps collect, but for most of them, also the collection for other texting apps is usually kind of broken. None of these apps are really well maintained. They're mostly just quick cash graps. Yeah, are there to maintain features usually don't really work.
Speaker 1: And it seems like based on that, one thing people can do outside of checking to see if their device has been compromised, is do stuff like turn off notifications for apps sling signal, right, like, and that's that's actually just generally good advice. Notifications are a compromise of the security that that signal offers. Don't have them enabled, you know, yeah, or.
Speaker 6: At the very least disabled them on the lock screen on Anthros. Yeah, I don't know how. I think that's also possible on iOS, but I think I doesn't show message content on the lock screen anyways. I'm not sure anymore, but yeah, it's just also small things like that. And also, like one of the key tells that someone probably tampered with your phone, especially for Android, is if Google play Protect is the disabled and you do not remember disabling it for something else, it was almost definitely disabled because someone installed something on your phone. Just try re enabling it. Then they will probably tell you something. The thing also to keep in mind, if you find starckaware on your phone, please get professional help. Do not just delete it. Do not like necessarily confront whoever you think might be your abuser about it unless you're very sure that that's the situation you can handle, because like, yeah, that is one of those things that like bringing it up or just deleting it can very quickly lead to like yeah, yeah, complicating the situation a lot.
Speaker 8: You know what else complicates the situation These ads and we are back.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to the actual fight against this stuff, obviously what you're doing is a big part of it. Getting inside these companies and finding out like what they're doing and their capabilities is huge for in terms of like what regular people are people who are interested in becoming activists about this can do? What is the what is the struggle to actually fight this stuff? Look like? Like how do we how do we put a bullet in this industry's head?
Speaker 6: I think one of the biggest things. And also like why I do the work I do with like hacking and with encouraging others to like send me data, be that insiders from these companies sending it I do to me or like tech Crunch specifically currently because like me and tech Crunch are like the only people really doing like journalism on this like regularly. And the important thing with like journalism and all of this is like awareness. It's very important to create awareness about this. That's also why I do the media work with like being on this podcast and things like that. I think the most important thing is to make people aware, like talk about this in your feminist circles or whatever, things like that, especially bring it up just also in general info things about abuse or how to detect abuse. I think the most important thing to do against s soccer whereas demastify it, because most people don't even know that this is a thing, that this is, like that there's just commercially available spyware anyone can install on your phone. It's as important to not like give in to some sort of paranoia as with any of these things. It's just important to like, yeah, generate awareness, talk about it and like spread these articles, let friends know that this is a potential thing, and then yeah, I I The hard thing with this is that, like, obviously it should will probably help if there was some sort of legislation against some of this, It's going to be very hard to get any proper legislation that ends this industry because in most Western countries, which are the only countries which unfortunately they would have enough power to like actually get these apps shut down, because that's the world we live in. But the problem there is usually that like this notion that children are owned by their parents is too strong to really make a full case against these apps. And at the very best what I can, like the very best time kind of hoping for from from legislators is just a ban on advertising these apps on use against other adults, which would be big already, but that doesn't really solve the issue because there's still going to be enough people who know of their use for use against adults, and there's going to be enough people on like credit threads talking about, hey, well yeah, you oh you're not sure if your government is cheating on you, look you can just use this app, you know. That's also how most of this marketing for this works. It's just yeah, at the end of the day, this is like a patriarchal issue. So yeah, I think that's also why like I am so focused on like the hacking and the like blowing these companies up and showing like who's behind them. It's because at the end of the day, the most effective thing we have against these companies is like the grassroots movement of making them too scared to run in this business, making it not profitable enough because as I said, most of this is like quick cash grabs from like web design studios and outsourcing companies. Yeah, that a're just making a quick buck from this because otherwise they don't get paid enough. Like that's the sad thing really is how much of this industry is in all of these countries. Western companies outsource their IT too, because there's lots of IT companies there and they are entirely reliant on like Western companies giving them very underpaid tasks. And you have this problem that you now have a bunch of employees and not enough money to always pay them. And what do you do, You like find some weird niche of like a tech product you can quickly build. Yeah, and this is like one of those easy niches. It's like always the scummy stuff and like yeah, it's that's also why like so many of these companies are like based out of Vietnam, out of Iran and whatever. It's just companies that already have it hard enough to do business globally, where the IT industry is like falling apart because there's not enough like local customers and anything that's international you're just the cheap workforce, right, So yeah, it's it's once again also like a class problem. I don't like most people working in this industry know that they're working in a like scummy industry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, but like, yeah, you got to get paid and that's yeah.
Speaker 6: And that's like why I think making it more scary to operate in this industry is like, yes, the way to go, because like with just like these like four hacks that have happened against these companies over the last like half a year or so, two of them, three of them, three of them have shut down completely. Others seem to be slowly moving towards just building other software primarily. Yeah, it's just like, yeah, it's it's it's like with any other like shady industry that the best we can do is just do not make it profitable to run the software, because at the very best, anything else we will get it's just pushing them more into the shadows, which is not going to solve the issue at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think a lot about like strategic thinking, which I do believe is kind of often in part because of how rightfully negative most people on the left think about the military. There's a tendency to ignore some of like the theory around how to actually win a conflict and all of it all strategy really when you're talking about like defeating an opponent, revolves around denying and taking operational area from them, right, And that's what you're talking about when you talk about, well, we need to stop this, you know, one of the first things we can do as part of fighting this is to stop them from being able to advertise certain places.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's making sure that they're not able to operate without being seen. It's basically cutting down their area, their space to maneuver, their ability to profit, which cuts down their money, their access to people, their ability to actually operate.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Like, that's what we're looking at in terms of how do you kill this stuff. It's not one single really. I use the comparison of like a bullet, but it's never going to be one bullet. These things are too durable. There's too many countries in lay to do that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's also why I put so much emphasis on doing media work about this and getting more people to talk about this and getting more awareness of this out there, to the point where I'm willing to work with more conservative newspapers on this because everyone needs to know about this. At the end of the day, this is how we like stop people from falling victims to this. Most people who are a victim of stocker apps have never heard of stocker apps before, and I think that's like one of the biggest ways to tackle this. And on the other hand, we also have I think another big leverage point with how many of these are getting hacked because none of these apps are very secure. That's another thing is this can also be leveraged against like the abusers in this scenario. I think just pointing out to them that all of these apps get hacked all the time and that this is how they get found out, that that this is how their data of them as abusers ends up landing on the internet. I think it's also like a very important angle at the end of the day. It's just to make it clear like yeah, no, not even you are like secure from this having consequences for your life, like beyond like direct interpersonal or legal consequences. This can and in the past has result in like your email adders being on a list of people who have du abuse to people online. You don't want to be on such a list. I think that's also important just to like point out there isn't one stock of a app that's not eventually going to get hacked. There is a big war against these apps. They're all like there's so many different hacking groups that keep sending me data from these Like I'm already working on another article that already once again affects like the data of like I think like eighty thousand more like abusers, and it's just the abuser data this time. But I'm still going to report on it, like it's it's it's this is not going to stop. It's even also not going to stop when I stop reporting on this myself, like I've that there's been work before me downe on this. I also the first time I got involved in finding stockover was back in twenty twenty. People have been hacking these apps forever and will keep hacking them, Like just look at the Wikipedia page for Stockover. There's an ever growing list of these apps that have been hacked, and I think at this point that like official count being kept by one of the people at TechCrunch is at like thirteen apps, a few of which have been hacked two or three times. Yeah, these are not these are not secure apps for any.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, of course not. Yeah, and they yeah, I mean it makes sense that like an app dedicated to violating people's privacy for money would also basically violate the privacy of the people using it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and also they don't care. Like I said, of course it's a cash crap. It's nothing else. There's a few apps that are like a little more than a cash crap, but it's usually just because they're made, Like there's still a cash grap, but they're like more well made. But it's because they're a cash graph from a company that has better developers or more money to do the initial investment. The thing is also like most of these companies don't have a lot of initial investment, And I think the important thing to consider as well. Here is one big area of this that I have not yet started tackling, but I do want to like look into more. Sometimes. Is a big reason this industry is so big and most of these apps have a lot of users despite there being so many of them, is the affiliate marketing industry. Once again, our very beloved friend. Yeah, all of these apps are parts of various affiliate marketing networks. Some of them started by stocker Ware company, and some of them just other like things to advertise all the shady things like all those phone number locator apps or whatever that's also part of those same affiliate marketing networks. And there's lots of money flowing here, and there's lots of money flowing to very big tech YouTube channels, and I might soon have some proof for some of that. But that's how these are advertised. It's everyone who advertises stock Aware to you, who has a big platform, is doing that because they're getting money, not for any other reason.
Speaker 8: We need to do more ads. We will be back shortly, and we are back.
Speaker 1: Well that's all I had, Miya, What do you got?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess there's there's another thing I wanted.
Speaker 8: To ask a little bit about, which Zach Whitaker, who's been one of the journal journalists at tech Crunch doing a lot of the research, is great. One of the things that he brings up that I think is another I don't know. It's kind of a plane with fire angle on them. But one of the issues that these companies seem to have is payment platforms, because a lot of payment platforms look at this and go wait, hold on. Yeah, so that's yeah, we've talked about that a little bit.
Speaker 6: That's an angle. We've also been fighting on a lot. Like me and Sick, we work on most of these stories together. Like it's kind of funny. We both got each other into the stockow thing back in twenty twenty. As I mentioned, that was the first time I stumbled into a stockerware app with a security issue. I reached out to some random journalists that tech Crunch about it. And now he is the only one talking about this forever because I reached out to him that one time and he got sucked into this horrible, horrible world of spying. But yeah, Like one of the things we focus on a lot is reporting these companies to their payment providers, to their server hosters, to the point where sometimes like for weeks, Sack will just wait for them to switch to a new provider after we got them taken them from like PayPal, and then from their other PayPal account where they're just using like the checkout experience from one of their completely unrelated software projects, which they will later claim is not related at all the different companies and whatever. But then like eventually they get taken down from that as well, and usually we can get them taken them from most like Western hosters, like especially US housters, will immediately take them down. You do not want to risk being the company hosting spuywire on US grounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just like same with EO hosters. Like the few companies that we've seen that were on Headsnerd, they immediately react because it's like yeah no, like under EULO, you don't want to like risk that, and also just because you don't want to host that, like there's no reason for you to host shit like that. It will have like image consequences, and that's an important thing that is maybe also something you can do as more like a grassroots thing. It's also like if you find one of these apps and if you see, oh they're using like PayPal or whatever, just reach out. I think PayPal is even harder to reach as like just an average LA person. Don't expect them to reply. They might still take action. You will have to manually check PayPal doesn't really reply. Two things ever, but yeah, same as like hosting company. If it's either hosted on like a European or American hosting company, I just just reach out and be like, hey, there's someone running spyware on your thing. Also use the word spyware, not stocker, where they will not know what that is, and it is spyware. So yeah, and that can usually get them taken down. And often they don't have proper backups and we'll have a few months of data missing and it's like, yeah, that's how you slowly grind them to a halt. Yeah. And also once again, like if you have tips about any of these companies, be it having found a vulnerability just or insider info especially I'm always very happy about the insider info. You can reach out to either me or Sack White. We're both very happy to talk about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's something that's been used really effectively by right wingers to target sex workers.
Speaker 2: There's been a huge.
Speaker 8: Thing, there's been a bunch of campaigns to get platform companies and yeah, so it's.
Speaker 6: It's interesting that for once we can use the very restrictive and conservative rules of payment providers for our good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But yeah, basically, any of the big payment providers will not respect something like this. Some of the small regional odd ones probably won't really give a shit. They have no reason to. It's like revenue for them. But yeah, it's generally worth trying. And I'm always glad like if someone just reaches out to these companies and we don't have to do that ourselves. I think me and second to few other people like actively working on this are doing more than enough work currently. But yeah, just if you find one of these things that don't go digging too deep. It's a depressing world. But if you stumble upon one of these somewhere or whatever, just just report them. It's it's it's going to disrupt their operations and if it happens often enough, they.
Speaker 2: Might just give up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I mean, like in cases like the truths by, they are willing to do extreme amounts of fraud to get to money easily because they like started with like mostly just in like with the market they could get with their Vietnamese payment providers, right, Eventually they realized, well, the US is like this really big market, right, but for really easy like US stuff, we need like a paypoal thing, right, So they might like over twelve fake American identities with fake passports and fake addresses and sign up to PayPal a whole bunch of times and had various employees that the company move money around. Yeah, that's obviously not a thing the US government will like if you do that. Generally speaking, they moved like millions like that, so yeah, which is pretty crazy like that. The amount of money that's moving in this industry is crazy. Like yeah, actually, like most of these app apps will be half broken, which no one ever complains about because like it's shady, like you don't expect like if you go online and you search for something shady like anything like be it piracy or whatever, you don't expect it to be the best experience ever. Like you know, you're getting some weird service and it's probably going to be half broken. But yeah, like most of these talkover apps started like forty dollars a month and more, and in some days for more features you pay like up to sixty or seventy or so, and then all of these have like tens of thousands of users, sometimes hundreds of thousands of users. Yeah, you can do them at yourself. It's crazy. This is a really big industry, which makes it so crazy to me that it's like not a thing that's talked about more, especially in like feminist spaces and things like that, because this is such a big angle of like modern tech enabled abuse that they really think should should be more of a topic, especially on the left, like this this is bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, this is like critically bad. I agree entirely.
Speaker 6: And also like that the whole thing with like all of this data being so easily accept your data can end up getting sold on some dark web forum. You're both as the abuser and that's the target, right and the corter government can find these like I have no like this. This is not me making a statement of that's a thing that's happening, but there's nothing preventing from hacking these companies and getting yeah, like like I sometimes like when whenever I get these data sets, and it's always hard to work with data sets that include like non consent essentially collect the data of people, right, Yes, but like I do always like do some due diligence checks, like mostly trying to find if the government is using a specific app. Sometimes yes, there's always like the odd correction law of facility officer who has signed up for one or two of these apps or like education people and whatever. But then I also only search through the text message just for just some code words and the amount of people moving drugs have stockerware on their phones. It's you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's it's one of those things where there are laws, Like technically, if I if my understanding of the laws around this are correct, it is illegal for an organization like the FBI to utilize these apps.
Speaker 6: But yes, but we have an organized and called the NSA who.
Speaker 1: And it is it is on paper illegal for them to do this with a third party app. But one thing that often gets done, particularly by the FBI, but but you know, not just by them, is it's not illegal for law enforcement agencies to contract with private agencies. And if those agencies you don't you just don't check in on what they're doing, you know, what they're using.
Speaker 6: But like, yeah, or like if an inform or like if an informant like sends you to state that, like you're not going to say.
Speaker 2: No exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: And also you don't really need to disclose that because it's information from an informant. You do not need to disclose an informant in court ever.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: It's it's very there are there are ways around you know, the laws that we put up, not that we shouldn't continue to extend those laws, but you shouldn't like just because well they're not allowed to use this doesn't mean they can't get access to the info.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: And also there's all this important thing like there's more like also globally, like there's other governments that can just be using this. Like for one of the apps I.
Speaker 1: Got, the government, the Russian government doesn't give a ship.
Speaker 6: That was also like another thing where I's like for one of the apps I got data for. There was some indication that at some point the Colombian National Police did a bigger evaluation of using commercials spyware for their use. Because you're in the country with not that big of a like police budget in comparison, you cannot afford like all the coolest Raeli tools everyone else has. So what do you do? You just look for random apps you can find, you know, yeah, you find the Walmart, the Kirkland, the wish to conversion, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah yeah yeah Ali baba spyware, right, yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't think most of them moved forward with this because these apps fucking suck, Like they're bad, Like that's that's the other thing, Like they don't even really do their jump. Well, they're bad, and you don't know who is behind them. You cannot even go up to someone and be like, yo, don't do this. You also kind of go to the cops and be like, this company is scamming me, because yeah, I assume some people have probably done that before, but it does involve admitting to a crime. So yeah, it's like, yeah, these companies just get away with not giving a shit about their product because like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well I think that's that's all we had. Thank you Maya for both the work you're doing and for talking to us. Yeah always, is there anything you wanted to plug before we roll out here?
Speaker 6: Just just my blog I think where we're like, I do this journalistic work and also more, there's about to be another cool investigative piece out soon which tincantually involves more tracking and whatever and also involves like Hollywood and more. It's it's it's it's a crazy big story. I promise that will be out like hopefully in a month or so. But yeah, my blog at Maya dot CRIMEU dot gay crime, you as in crime w yeah and kay yes and gay yeah yeah. Just check out my blog At the bottom of the blog, there's all my links to my social media for anyone who's like listening to this and has been wondering where I am. I am back on Twitter as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah for now, for now, that's for all of us these days.
Speaker 2: That's always like now this point.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I am back on twether. I'm posting there sometimes yeah m hmm.
Speaker 1: All right, well, thank you and thank you all for listening. We will be back tomorrow, unless this comes out on a Friday, in which case we'll be back at some other point but soon.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh.
Speaker 21: If Robert can do his atonal shreaks, then I can sing off key yo, I'm back. Help me all up in your feed. Wat these raps get all up in your feed. That's a wu tang reference again to the Black delegation. Shout out y'all showing up on the in the subreddit. You feel me, Black folks showing up and showing out. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 20: I was wrong. It's more than five of us. I shout out to you, man.
Speaker 2: I love y'all.
Speaker 21: Thanks for showing up, and shout out all the Latinos who tapped into and le puez.
Speaker 20: Hey, gontodo me hint ben at guy When.
Speaker 21: Valilo listen, we gotta really invite our Latino brothers and sisters, our Theos and diaz and also our Asian black people, the penoise and pen eyes, our athes and Quias. You're all a part of our delegation here, all of our usos. We love y'all, the whole diaspora of people who seizing their chicken and wash their legs. I love y'all, and to this whole delegation. Once we add it all together, it is about twenty of us to you. I say, y'all want something from the gas station. I got you so today. I don't want to ruin your breakfast. I don't want to ruin your coffee. I'm just gonna ruin your music. This is about the death of the music festival. It already happened here all right now, y'all know I'll be playing. I'm playing about all this like I'm only talking to the melanated folks.
Speaker 2: Y'all.
Speaker 20: Y'all know I'm playing right.
Speaker 21: I mean, this is why I while I slowly wink at brown folk, I'm just playing, y'all. I'm sorry, I'm messing around. It's called opening. You know, you guys got a great sit to you right here, all right, let's get to it. Festivals, like, am I right? You know, if you're anywhere within a five to ten mile radius of my age, I mean, festivals is like these are like a write of passage. You know, I am not only a goer but a festival performer and as an artist, it was like festivals were kind of in a lot of ways how I marked the years. There were people that I really only saw like once a year when I was at that festival, whether it was other acts, other bands, or even a lot of times the volunteers or the people that like put the event together, like you believe it or not, you kind of make friends, you know. And he's again these people, You're like, dang, I can't believe it was a whole year, you know. And it was a good way to make sure as an artist that you were making new music and had something new to perform. Oh and make sure you had some new merch because you know, if you played your cards right, if you've listened to my show, I've talked a lot about, like, you know, the science of festivals and as a performer of like this could either be a complete waste of time and money, if you're on at like the main stage at like twelve noon when it's like a trillion degrees outside, you know, but if you can get that right as the sun set, like if you're not the headliner, if you could get that right at sunset, right where the sun just breaks the horizon line coming down on that golden hour set. The crowd isn't shitfaced yet, you know, they're at the top of their MOLLI you feel you're riding the high. It is just settled in or whatever drugs that these people are on. They've kind of just settled in right there. They're relaxed, they're willing to sing along. Nobody's getting trample jet. It's not like the frenzy that kind of happens at the headliner situation, where like somebody might die. Shout out astro world. I say that not as a joke. I'm saying things can go wrong, but oh the experience. Man, Like, I don't know how old you are, and obviously you can't answer me. Do you remember the last like big festival you went to, you know, back when your knees were good and it was okay for you to stand for twelve hours and there's somebody, you know, having sexual intercourse in the porter potty. You know, you're stepping over barf right, and you just paid thirty dollars for a bottle of water, you know that you could stuff into your clear backpack because you weren't allowed to.
Speaker 20: Bring anything else in there.
Speaker 21: But man, that's probably a euphoria, especially if it's a group or a band that you really like that you saved up all year to go see. You know, some people were like festival operas, like that's their thing. They spend their summer going to music festivals. Since twenty twelve up to twenty fourteen, like the music fest has been guys, we've kind of been on borrow time. We've we lived through a music festival renaissance. According to NPR, since twenty thirteen, everything sold out, the four mega giants, right, so, Coachello, Bataru, Lolla Palooza in Chicago, Austin City Limits Music Festival in Texas.
Speaker 2: It was like this never.
Speaker 21: Ending flow of amazing, amazing events, and you know what, they were kind of affordable. In the next five years, you had things taken forth like Pitchfork in Chicago, Hangout Music Festival on the Beach, and the Gulf Shores, Outside Lands, Bali Music Mount o Asis Electronic Music.
Speaker 2: Festival, Forecastle Festival.
Speaker 21: Right, and I'm even gonna add in this before all this for hip hop stuff.
Speaker 2: Dude, we had rock the bells.
Speaker 21: Like we lived in a time where you could see all of your favorite artists in the most epic locations. You'd see people who if you were to try to buy their tour ticket, it would cost the same amount if they were headlining the thing. But you could see all your favorite acts. Part of this was because we listened to radio, you were exposed to more things. And it was probably the fun part about a lot of times about music festivals because you probably saw that act, your favorite band, your favorite rapper, you saw them at a Hole in the Wall five years ago, which was like ten bucks to get in, and you might have snuck in or got on the list because you knew somebody that knew the DJ. And now you're like, I followed this crew from when they were like playing a hole in the wall with ten people, where there was more staff at the bar than on this and now you're like, dude, you feel like you were a part of their evolution, Like you saw Chance at the subterranean. Now he's headline at Bonnarou. What a feeling. You're part of the story. Well, that's probably a relic of the past, and let's talk about it. So festivals for most of the last decade have been everywhere, like, whatever type of music you like, whatever subgenre, whatever part of the world you want to go to, there's a music festival that you can show up at.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 21: In twenty twenty four, more than half of them across the world were canceled. I lost count on this page. I'm about to read to y'all from musicfestival wizard dot com. Festival's canceled so far in twenty twenty four. Okay, you're ready for this. Shindig twenty twenty four, Melt twenty twenty four, Sideways Festival, Nostock, Field Maneuvers, Tower z The Quintinine, Big Slap, Electric Zoo, Peach twenty twenty four. All the Music Festival Life Is Beautiful Festival, Country Thunder Florida, Swanee Roots Festival, edc China, Lucidity Festival in Santa Barbara, Desert Days in Lake Paris, Pinefest in the UK, Good Vibes Festival in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Siattra Nevada World Music Festival in Booneville, El Dorado Music Festival in the UK, Sudden Little Thrills in Pittsburgh, Big Ridge Rock Fest in Virginia, Lollapalooza, Paris Music Midtown Atlanta, Lovers and Friends Fest in Las Vegas, which I was really sad about. Riverside Festival, Glasgow in Where Glasgow, Soul Bloom Sacramento tw Classic twenty twenty four in Belgium, Kaylamijas in kay Lamijas, Spain, Caldoora Music Festival in Queensland, Made an America Festival Philadelphia, Oblivion Access Austin, Texas, Meadows in the Mountains twenty twenty four in Bulgaria, Imagine Festival in Rome, Georgia. Splendor on the Grass in Byron Boy, Australia. Body and Soul Festival in Ireland, Moon Rose Festival. I'm tired of I'm not even done yet, I'm not even halfway through this thing. Festivals died in twenty twenty four. Digital News reports that sixty festivals in.
Speaker 2: The UK alone canceled.
Speaker 21: Ashley King wrote this article on August twenty third, twenty twenty four for Digital Music News, and in that she says the United Kingdom has lost one hundred and ninety two music festivals since twenty nineteen, according to the Association of Independent Festivals the AIF, which is a not for profit trade festival association that represents the interest of over two hundred independent UK music festivals that range from five hundred to eighty thousand people. The AIF estimates that the UK lost ninety six events during the COVID pandemic, thirty six festivals and in twenty twenty three, more than sixty to date in twenty twenty four. That brings the total number of festival closures either due to cancelation or postponement up to one hundred and ninety two since twenty nineteen, one hundred in ninety two festivals. Some may argue that, well, damn, you shouldn't have had that many festivals, Coachella, Lollapalooza, and of course the infamous Burning Man with the most on brand people that go that call themselves Burners. Now, I don't want to sit here and make fun of you burners, because I'm pretty sure a lot of y'all listen to this show.
Speaker 20: Number one and number two.
Speaker 21: I don't know if there's anybody more free, anybody more comfortable in their own skin. Listen, this might sound like a joke, Okay, I'm dead serious. It's like the white guy with dreadlocks. I mean, white people with dreads are just most of the time. Okay, Like this may sound like a joke, I'm deadly serious. They be so okay with themselves and will do whatever they got to do to continue to stay present and be cool with themselves. No notes, it's the guy doing hypostatic breath work, freestyling for way too long and the digital do section. You know what I'm saying, Like he's super okay with himself anyway. Burning Man, for the first time since twenty and eleven did not sell out for the first time, And the tickets are usually released in tears and some go on sale in the beginning of the year, and then this part I'm getting from the Guardian, but the main starting in April right, which typically gets snapped up in minutes, like Burning Man sells out in minutes. Seventy three thousand people are able to attend Burning Man, but this first time since twenty eleven, they did not sell out. Coachella, saying they saw a fifteen percent decline in tickets. It's the biggest festival in North America. Coachella is fifteen percent ticket decline. Festivals were a way for you to discover new music, to meet new friends.
Speaker 20: It's like camp for like your twenties.
Speaker 21: You know, you get to wear your dumb ass outfits, right, You get to stand out in the sun, You get to drink, you get to day drink, and you get just lose your mind for a little bit.
Speaker 2: This might be the end, the endling.
Speaker 21: You may have attended your last music festival as we know it. So the question is why who killed the music festival? Why is the festival not festiving? Why is it not festive? Why can't y'all sell no tickets? Do we not like music anymore? Do you like music still? I thought I still like Do you like music still? What the hell happened in y'all?
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh oh oh oh.
Speaker 21: Weird back back back back yack back uh uh. To understand the future as to what the hell happened, we have to ask ourselves how we.
Speaker 20: Even got here such a nerd?
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 21: I don't think I need to tell you what a music festival is because I mean, I think you know what it is. It's an incredibly overpriced concert that features maybe four groups that you like. Where you are going to stand outdoors somewhere brave the weather day, drink and then get to lose your mind for the last like three hours and just really enjoy, you know, a moment that you'll really never forget. Depending on how nasty and ratchet you are, how outside you are, you might look up.
Speaker 20: You know what I'm saying. I don't look.
Speaker 21: It's none of my business. I suggest you don't. That's just me being an old head. But either way, man, they're a great time. But please understand that festivals. Music festivals go like back to get this five eighty two b C. At least according to white people's history, because you know, silly you, nothing happened anywhere else except for Europe. There was no music festivals in Africa, Central South America, Asia, no nowhere else.
Speaker 20: You don't history started in Greece. We were too busy building pyramids.
Speaker 21: Right anyway, I'm gonna lead out put oh what every crack of you up. They'd be like the first music festival on record in ancient Greece. During the Pytheon Games, which is fine, it's it's fine, it's fine, but understand, ain't no way in the world, just the only one that ever happened anyway, So five eighty two BC, right, And like the Olympic Games, the Pytheon Games took place every four years and included poetry reading, a speech, right, and other musical game like competitions. People gathered to enjoy like hymns and instruments instrumental performances at the Apollo at the Apollo I'm So Black, dedicated to Apollo, which was the god of arts and music. Now fast forward to like the seventeenth century where you have like classical music festivals and like the type of like exclusivity right where like when in the seventeenth century when like classical music just basically ate Europe and music festivals originally were like supposed to be a gathering where people could, like what you think, gather and celebrate music.
Speaker 20: However, here's where it starts coming in a focus.
Speaker 21: The wealthcat was widening across Europe, so festivals gradually became kind of like out they are where they're a little bit exclusive, catering primarily to more higher educated upper class, and the shift became apparent as events became more exclusive and had increasingly restricted access. This is from ndlbeast dot com. They have a whole section on like the history of music festivals. One could argue like this like the prototype of like the VIP section. You know, I'm saying, like, you know, you can get the pit tickets or you could stand outside with the pores and just listen from the outside. So this trend kind of continued for centuries, where like elea class I think almost like was the beginning of the breaking of music in general. They were control the access to culture. I have a friend that wrote a book called Don't Be Precious. Now, me and this friend differ in a lot of ways, but he's just a punk rock dude, and his approach to making art is like you can't have this like restricting access right because it becomes It's just like upper class art is this creation of the leisure class because one they have the patron to pay for them to be able to sit down and contemplate the stars, like you got all precious about it, you feel me? So some of that has to do with again the wealth gap. So when you restrict access to hearing music. It draws deeper into the divides between like the educated upper class and then the traveling folk musicians who performed for the commoners. And that's like the stuff you see on you know, corny little movies. Then the world wars come right, and there's like a music revival, right. So when the First World War broke out, obviously change of lifestyle, meaning everything went to like, you know, war effort. So this is a really interesting quote. It says, I'm the same MDL beast. As society focused on wartime efforts and staying safe, the exclusivity of music festivals to the upper class disappeared. In a turn of events, the working class population was now turning to music more than ever. Jazz and folk emerged as popular genres right to avoid the scrutiny of the elite. Groups of musicians with similar tastes would gathering died bars and underground clubs. By the time the war had ended, jazz cemented itself as the genre of the era. So now we're talking Harlem Renaissance juke joints and the emergence of like again this we're black people come in a lot of times the role that just the all out anti black racism has unintentionally because of it, created some of the most dopest things, some of the most dopest American experiences. Well, I just read up on how with HBCUs which are historic black colleges that now white people trying to attend. They like your school of fund well, because we wasn't allowed in yours anyway, So let me continue. So, World War two played a pivotal role in creating the Newport Folk Festival, organized by Lewis and Elaine Lauryland, a couple met during World War Two and came together to revolutionized Rhode Island's music artistic community by promoting jazz. With the foundation in jazz and blues and country and pop music, they expanded to attract over eleven thousand people in nineteen fifty four. Then the sixties the birth of the modern music festival. Right obviously Woodstock, which was the invention Monterey International Pop Music Festival. This is the rock festival as we know it, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin who it was the place to be a cultural experience as we know it. Again, is that then you got like the Berlin Wall and the music revolution. This is where festivals become political and cultural. They become a statement, and a big one was in the nineties when they did the Berlin Wall tearing down music Festival, which was an amazing thing, right where underground stations, power plants, World War Two bunkers and abandoned buildings all started to serve as makeshift concert halls. This is why Europe became such a place for music festivals. It became a sign of free beat them in solidarity, and then the music festival took a shit They just.
Speaker 20: Died in the nineties.
Speaker 21: After this all can be explained in when they tried to redo Woodstock just a shit show with like Limp Biscuit and all them you a shit show. There's a documentary on Netflix about the absolute disaster that that new Woodstock was, y'all. I'm talking like y'all thought Astro World was bad where them kids was raising so much and people die. You talking about understaffed y'all think Firefest was a disaster, my nigger, Well, nah, I don't think anything was worse than Firefest, so far a good thing. It didn't happen like y'all remember Firefest. Oh lord, honestly, I can't believe I made it almost twenty minutes into this and then mentioned Firefest because it is the perfect example of what went wrong in the music festival world. Because, like I said, this disaster in the nineties to two thousands, if you were able to survive, like I said earlier, like the Bonnarous Coachella's Austin City limits, if you were able to survive Lollapalooza, then you came out the other end and became the go to places right tell your ride for folk music, you became the go to places that if you were going to try to have a career as.
Speaker 20: An artist, you have to play one of these festivals.
Speaker 21: No matter how much money you don't make at these things, you have to do it because this is where not only do you get the necessary co sign, you also get discovered. Like as far as fans like, you make new fans, you sell merge people, walk away with the T shirt. You're on the T shirt that says Bonnarou twenty twenty one and your name is so like even if you're way down on the bottom, grab your little screenshots, take your little Instagram photos, because now you're in the game. And the game it was which leads us to what went wrong because this was not only a money making endeavor. This was a money making endeavor in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 20: Are y'all ready for this? I don't think you ready for this?
Speaker 21: In the boom years, According to an analysis done by a Finance Buzz, in twenty fourteen, general emission prices for major and music festivals increased by fifty five percent. That outpaced just inflation period. Y'all jacked up the price.
Speaker 2: So listen.
Speaker 21: So if your jaw rule head ass, of course I'm gonna build a festival. You're looking at Burning Man, You're looking at Bonnarou, You're looking at all these things.
Speaker 2: You're like, bro, let's just get an island and make a festival. There's so much money to be made.
Speaker 21: But you know what, capitalism being a capitalism, it's gonna keep capitalism.
Speaker 20: Let's talk about what killed the festival?
Speaker 2: Oh oh.
Speaker 21: Oh, you see, I just did my own fade out and fade in music. Y'all see that. No, don't ask me what note that was? So what killed the festival? There well number of things. First of all, yo, ask for not going I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding. We're not blaming the victims here. Some of these answers are pretty obvious, like again, you know Astra World like, but astral World is just a good picture of everything that went wrong in the concept of a music festival.
Speaker 20: So the first problem is, yeah, capitalism.
Speaker 21: Sometimes you are led to believe that what is will always right. That's what a stable economy lulls you into believing. But anybody that knows how money works, it's booms and busts. The bubble will pop, and how a bubble pops is almost always our own fault in this sense. The housing bubble, you know of two thousand and eight when your mama and him lost their house because the reality was they shouldn't have never got that loan in the first place. These people knew good and well that you was not able to keep up with that mortgage. But we were selling too many houses. It was going too good. So the thing was for almost the you know, almost a decade, you couldn't make enough festivals. The industry couldn't keep up with the demand. And yo, this the blog error. This the two Doe Boys, Yeah, Pitchfork like this the blog error.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 20: When Fader was like a thing that you would want to go suit.
Speaker 21: So like it all kind of worked together around this time before all these spots got bought out hip Hop d X, like all these pages.
Speaker 20: Got bought out.
Speaker 21: Like I said before, it was like this boom in twenty fourteen of a trillion festivals that started happening. Now what happened was ticket prices. This is the first one. We're making so much money. You realize, Dang, if I charge a hundred, I bet you I could charge two hundred. If I charged two on it, I bet you I could charge foe hundred because if you charge foe hun and then I could argue I'm getting bigger acts. So in the boom years, according to this analysis by Finance Buzz, ticket prices since twenty fourteen for most music festivals increased by fifty five percent. Like that's super outpacing even inflation in the same time period. This isn't like cost the living type shit type beat.
Speaker 20: No oh, I'm raping y'all.
Speaker 21: Do you know that Burning Man costs five hundred and seventy five dollars to go to If you was going, you was probably gonna make some sort of like art installation to destroy you doing that all your own money, which meant what.
Speaker 2: Same thing happened in the seventeenth century.
Speaker 21: It just becomes a place for the elite because can't nobody else afford to go. You know what else happened to a lot of festivals is corporation's bottom. You know who bought complex BuzzFeed, and you know who bought it from BuzzFeed n Work nt WRK.
Speaker 2: It's an investment firm.
Speaker 21: You know who owns the Pitchfork festival, condy Nast a media company. They bought the blog and folded it into GQ.
Speaker 2: It's just a corporation. Capitalism.
Speaker 21: Capitalism broke the festivals under the banner of capitalism, not so much the cost of the ticket and the soaring cost of living. It also costs too much to make the festival. According to John Roston, he's the CEO that AIF, the Independent Association of Festivals. He says, the toilet higher I just need to buy Porter potties. In twenty twenty one was twenty eight thousand dollars for the exact same amount of toilets at twenty twenty four is fifty four thousand dollars. That's just the toilets. You know what happened at Astro World. He can't have enough security. It costs so much, you honestly cannot afford to put together a festival that will be alluring enough to consumers to justify spending that much money. So what do you get? A gang of corporate sponsors? And you know what, a gang of corporate sponsors at a music festival is whack. It's a horrible ass experience because you're just watching a gang of commercials. Sometimes it just be labels who be putting on these artists that they trying to break. And then the artists be trash. They don't be trash because they trash. They be trash because they're not ready for this size stage. They ain't put in the work. They didn't do the you know Gurney Illinois experience that I think I've told before, what is the most terrifying experience I've ever had on tour?
Speaker 2: You don't had him experiences.
Speaker 21: You ain't played shows when it's more people at the bar, or it's more people that work there then come to see you. You're not ready for no festival stage, so it's just not fun for the concer.
Speaker 2: So I'm not gonna buy it. You can't justify this price.
Speaker 21: If I'm gonna spend that much money, I need to really, really really.
Speaker 20: Really like this man. This need to be my favorite artist.
Speaker 21: I'm not gonna stand around twelve hours pay this much money to really only see one act I like.
Speaker 7: That.
Speaker 20: Don't make no damn sense.
Speaker 21: And we'll talk about why they only like that one artist a little bit later.
Speaker 20: So remember this point I'm making.
Speaker 21: The second and most obvious one is COVID, which leads into the third and fourth. You had to cancel stuff. Nobody knew this was coming. Like the el's companies took, I took person answer the tour. Not only I canceled the tour, I released the poetry book that I couldn't tour. I mean I personally lost tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars in touring revenue, in book sales, in merch sales, and all of it. Like I lost so much because you just had to, and I'm still trying to get that money back. A lot of festivals just have never been able to make their money back from what they lost, so there's not enough money now. Obviously, when the pandemic ended. There was a lot of pent up energy to be like, I need to go outside. But that's because me and you didn't spend two years of our high school experience, our two first years of college stuck at home. Remember that's the time when you get the taste to go outside, when you start finding your drinking buddies, yo outside friends, your music friends. You have to remember those years, dude, dude, those years are when you're discovering. All research says is like your taste in music happens in those years.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 2: If I were to ask you, what's your favorite area of music?
Speaker 21: Most likely it's not always, but most likely it was like the music you listened to in the eleventh grade, it's probably your favorite era. Whatever you was listening to the n is probably still your favorite era. Now, obviously that's not true for everybody, but hey, if you were seventeen, you were discovering new music, you want to go to like the Cornerhouse of Blues, right, you know this is obviously I'm California centric.
Speaker 20: You wanted to hit the Glasshouse.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 21: Could you just heard about this new band Little Stings like that, The Dragonfly Whiskey of Go Go the viper room. All these like smaller spots that when for us out of La these were like rights of passage.
Speaker 20: This is how you get to say I.
Speaker 2: Saw them win.
Speaker 21: I knew who Will I Am was for the Black Eyed Peas because I saw him at the little temple which is now called the Virgil when he did a beat battle. They were at the corner. You know what I'm saying. And it was fun. I knew Foster the people. They're in San Diego. You would just drive down like just at the gas lamp, like Leon bridges Hell he opened for us, you know what I'm saying. Like again, like we said in the earlier these these bands that you was passionate about.
Speaker 20: You was seventeen with your little emo hair swooped over your eyes.
Speaker 21: This is you was crying over you understand what I'm saying, Like hugging onto your little iPad, you know, doing that MySpace picture when you looking down. You know it's the white people think like this is when you went to go see them. If that era for you was a pandemic, you didn't acquire a taste for going out like that. You saw concerts inside a fortnite. So what I'm saying is one of the biggest things about gen Z is they don't go out.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just the reality. Not only do it. Ain't got no money.
Speaker 21: They ain't got no money because again inflation and finances, the cost of living is insane. But look it, gen Z don't drink like we used to drink. They do fewer drugs, they have less sex. Part of that is because one they Hella anxious and I.
Speaker 20: Don't blame them.
Speaker 21: I'm looking at my daughter now and I'm like, I'm sorry, baby, you probably not gonna buy no house ever.
Speaker 2: I don't even know when you're gonna move out. I don't know what to tell you. I'm not mad.
Speaker 21: I ain't gonna push you out of this house because where you're gonna go, you're gonna get seven roommates.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry.
Speaker 21: They do fewer drugs, they drink less, and they don't go nowhere because one, they anxious as hell. They nervous around being around that many people. And if they are gonna go out, if you ask them, the number one thing they say.
Speaker 20: Is like, I ain't got nobody to go with.
Speaker 21: I mean I could go I ain't got nobody to go with you, cause you ain't got no friends.
Speaker 2: You don't go nowhere, right.
Speaker 21: I've been looking at my own child, like why you here, Cuz, like don't you You're a go nowhere.
Speaker 20: She's starting to now, but listen, you gotta.
Speaker 2: Really really, really really really want to see this person that you're going to see.
Speaker 21: She bought Billie Eilis tickets in February the concert next month. She decided, if I'm gonna spend this money this one, I'm gonna spend it on right, because it's worth her money. She loves them, she loves her. She got the album. She went to the listening party. She's like, this is who I'm gonna go see. They don't look and see who's playing, or just pull up an adult music spot and just be like, oh, Wane, who's play. I'm gonna discover new music now that don't happen. You can't put on no festival if people ain't willing to come, which leads me to one of the other problems they did, which is the music industry itself is shocked themselves in the foot because the big dogs, just like I said, happened in the seventeen hundreds are doing fine. If Live Nation and ticket Master own every venue, they only gonna put the artists that they won't own their it costs too much.
Speaker 2: So they're like, oh, I don't understand what's going on with y'all festivals.
Speaker 21: I know we doing all right, because if you are an industry artist with the machine behind you, number one, you don't need a festival. You booked the Greek Theater yourself. Why would I allow myself as an artist for you to pay me. Guess who turned down Coachella next year? Rihanna and Kendrick. Why would either of them play that when they know they can be the only artist and sell just as many tickets. Kendrick played Staples. I'm calling his Staples because I'm from La. I know it's just a corporation. He played Staples four nights in a row where the Lakers played, but that was after doing four nights at the Honda Center in Orange County. These are eight Southern California shows, sold them all out. Why the hell would I give that money to Coachella when I could do it myself. Live Nation already taking a huge ass cut, Ticketmaster already taking a huge ass cut. Scalper's already taken a huge ass cut. There's no reason for me to give my time and my ticket draw to you when they can all go to myself. You did this to yourself music industry by locking out all the small venues. You know what else the music industry did to itself, streaming the algorithm that also killed the festival. You know why because you're fed the same music. Algorithm says you like this, you probably don't like that, which means we know all people be like music all sound the same because it does. Because the goal is to play music that feeds the algorithm. You create music that gets your streaming numbers up. This is the point I was making earlier. While you like, I don't know nobody else on this thing, and I'm only really concerned about the headliner.
Speaker 20: This is the point I was making earlier.
Speaker 21: Algorithm, you create music that works on TikTok so music has this formula. They did the same thing with coffee shops. You know why coffee shops look like brutaliss mid century modern, all of them Instagram. We're all looking at the same aesthetic, So therefore all coffee shops look the same. The same thing happened with music the algorithm. So you have these entire, very specific niches.
Speaker 2: But can everyone in your weird niche?
Speaker 21: Are there thirty artists in your very weird niche that can bring ten thousand people out to a field. No, because there's only forty of y'all that like this music that's online streaming. There's no human editorial, there's no DJ that's saying, yo, dude, lo, look at this.
Speaker 20: No, look at this.
Speaker 21: You're stuck to doing it yourself and hopefully you can climb out your algorithm.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 21: J McDonald says, a genre unfocused festival poster lineup starts to just look like a playlist that has been made and personalized for somebody else. Okay, you want to do a genre specific one, let's just say, okay, k pop, you're finna fly on him acts from Korea? How much you're gonna sell all these tickets for? How many K pop acts do you get? You don't book nobody local? Do you how much money that would cost? Or you say I'm gonna do a K pop day?
Speaker 2: All right? So you do a three day festival.
Speaker 21: One day's k pop, one day's DM, one day's hip hop, Uh, nobody's boy a three day pass, so one day might be trash, And how do you build it? What does the flyer look like? I don't know half of these people. I ain't never even heard of that. No single act can sell a festival. And if you try to do a multi different act thing, it's just gonna.
Speaker 2: Confuse the consumer.
Speaker 21: So if you're putting on the festival, your only option is to just go big. This has to do with money, So you are going to overspend, right, because it's like, how are you gonna get people here? You you get Taylor Swift? Do you know how much money you got to offer somebody like a Taylor Swift for her to give her performance to your festival rather than just to do her own show. And the consumer says, again, is this worth my money? I'm willing to throw this money at this big act because that's what the algorith that's who I know. They're not gonna risk no more because music discovery is now algorithmic. You're not just gonna go pull up at a spot and be like, who's this open? Or they're dope. The industry did it to itself. You killed your own performance market. And because Live Nation brought up all the small venues where artists really get their chops and really create fan bases and really you get to discover and make connections with it. There's no places for them to play. All that's left are the big industry artists, and why again would they give their ticket sales to a festival.
Speaker 2: And lastly, climate change. It's hot as hell.
Speaker 21: The last two burning bands poured rain and flooded. Before that, it was like one hundred and twenty nine million degrees.
Speaker 2: It's hot. It's too hot to be out there like this climate, y'all. And enough water.
Speaker 21: It's hot as hell. It's hot as hell, or it's floody. It's hot or its floody. Ain't no more nice days outside? I find the stand outside all day. You crazy? You gonna make me pay extra for shade. It's an extra one hundred dollars so I can have a humbrother.
Speaker 2: I'm good. Just hold on.
Speaker 20: We're staying home.
Speaker 21: Staying home, Okay, now again, let's rebuild the world.
Speaker 20: What can we do better? That's in our control.
Speaker 21: So festivals might be done, but it doesn't mean we don't still love music. If you're a music lover, here are some suggestions I can give you that would keep your favorite bands in the game. The first is the easiest one for you, which of course is buying or streaming their music. If you're gonna stream, here's the thing, dude, I'm not an old guy to say that, like your release Radar or your New Music Friday, that algorithmic playlist that's like customized just for you, it's great.
Speaker 2: My request that I think would help is this.
Speaker 21: If a song pops on and you dig it, save it number one and then too, go to the album, go to that artist's page and give them a follow, and listen to the album. You heard the song, the song was dope, and if it really resondent, I'm not begging you to do something that you don't like, listen to that album, you know the whole Like artists blowing up on TikTok. That's why Universal was just like man tried to dead all that, you know. So if artist blows up on TikTok, you you really like that sound, like yo, like, go to that artist page, go to their music, like, you know, instead of just like shooting video like that stuff short lived. If you're artists, like obviously, you hope that one day that happens. But that's not sustainable. You can't tour off that. That's what happened to a lot of ours. Why I Spice cancel half her tour is because there's not songs.
Speaker 20: There's TikTok audios. You feel me.
Speaker 21: That helps the artists know when they try to go get a show, that they can prove that, like, hey, listen, these are listeners. When you go to my Spotify page, we go to any Spotify page, the first number you see is monthly listeners. But that don't mean followers. I have this weird upside down thing. Most people have more monthly listeners than followers. I'm the opposite. I have three times more followers than monthly listeners, which means these people are going to be alerted when I drop music. Why I have that is because I toured so hard. I played every possible dumb, ugly venue I possibly could, like, gotted out the mud, shook hands, stayed after, stayed at the merch table, took pictures, got email addresses, got phone numbers, came back, you know, signed everything. I would stay after the show for an extra hour until everybody got their picture and everybody got their stuff signed, hard fought, so that way, You're right, I'm not cranking out music that feeds the algorithm.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 20: But when I drop an album, they know.
Speaker 21: So my request as the consumer is follow that artist, like close to the album. And secondly, the most obvious one is like, dude by merch. Oh my god, y'all. I'm saying like merch has been the difference between car insurance and not. For me, merch has been the difference between can my daughter stay in her you know, dance class her after school, like ballet class. Merch Like merch is how we paid for our daughters. So during the pandemic hell merch it paid our rent Kasai had. Now, as an artist, you need to have dope merch.
Speaker 20: That's what I mean.
Speaker 21: If your merch sucks that, I mean, it is what it is. I can't ask you to, you know, purchase something that's trash. Artists make don't merch. You know, I have vinyl. Vinyl costs a lot, but you can go to my website there's vinyl like that stuff.
Speaker 20: Those make a difference.
Speaker 21: And then I'd also ask, like, if you really dig an artist, this is on the artist's job to like sign up for their newsletter, find out when they're touring, and just and go to their shows. And when you get there like another game. I think I told this on the Politics podcast too, where it's like most of the time as the artist, I keep the door, like meaning the ticket sales, and then the venue keeps the bar. So their thing is like, well, they're gonna make a ton of money on the bar. But that's how I get to come back is if this venue says, oh, yeah, he brought you know, three hundred people here. They respected my staff, they bought drinks, and me as an artist, my team, i'd be silly on stage, but we're very very professional.
Speaker 20: Can I take my reputation very serious? We make sure.
Speaker 21: That like the talent buyer, the venues, everybody taking care of. We're not yelling at the sound man, you know, we keep a clean green room. Like those are things you could do as an artist, but as a consumer, like I know, the algorithm's fighting against you. But like, if you really like a group, go out of your way, even if it's on the Discovery things. Again, the big people is easy. Beyonce's tickets are gonna come find you. You ain't gotta go find him. But Johnny swim but the hot shakes, right, that's what they call go find them because at the end of the day, it's your presence. If you're gonna stay in music, you have to get butts in seats. Is this for us to save music festivals? I don't care they did that to themselves. I'm just trying to save live music because truly, truly, there is nothing like it.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh oh oh oh.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 1: We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 2: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 8: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.