Speaker 1: The following podcast is a Dear Media production. Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Pia Baron Jeanie, a creative director of Ulpia, an entrepreneur, a wife, and a dog mom based in Los Angeles. This is my new podcast, Everything is the Best, where we basically ask interesting people, how did you go from zero to yach I'm always curious how to help people became successful, and I figured you would be too. Get on the Internet with me. Let's laugh, let's cry, let's overshare, and let's get inspired to live our best lives. Check out new episodes every Wednesday. It's all for you, baby, Thanks for listening. Love you mean it.
Speaker 3: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty. This is pretty smart. Zoe Lister Jones is an actress, writer, and director. You've seen her in Life in Pieces, Whitney, and New Girl, most notably in My Eyes. In twenty seventeen, she made her directorial debut with her indie film band Aid, where she hired an all female crew. It's a first for a feature film. We talk about that experience, why she did it, and what honestly came of it. She also indulged me in a deep dive into what it's like to audition in Hollywood. She talks about her SNL audition, and she told a very funny audition horror story. We chat about the show that changed her life, her relationship with her body, and her hope for the next generation of girls. You know, I usually write a flowery intro, but Zoe's interview doesn't really require one. She's not frilly. She lives out the quintessential Brooklyn demeanor. What you see is.
Speaker 4: What you get, So Zoe.
Speaker 3: I usually start these interviews asking questions about somebody's upbringing or their life, or something like sensitive and thoughtful, but I feel like we need to start with Timothy Shalomey.
Speaker 1: Happily Happily So, I worked.
Speaker 3: In pop culture and entertainment news for eight years. I feel like I'm on the pulse. I missed the Timothy shallow May phenomenon.
Speaker 4: Can you expl like, what is it?
Speaker 1: Wow? Well, you know, I've sort of become the unofficial spokesperson for Timothy Shallmay stands everywhere, and I'm happy to continue holding that mantle. Here, I guess, you know, I'll say what I'm terrified of is like just like what Timothy Shallmay thinks of how much I talk about him in interviews, because it terrifies me. I can only imagine like what it does to him if I was even on the radar. But you know, for me, like I feel like when Called Me by Your Name came out, I had a movie, my first movie that I wrote directors at Sundance the same year that Call Me by Your Name premiered there, and I was just like really excited by my own reaction to watching a homoerotic love story. Like I was so excited that I was so turned on by it. And I think it's like such an important resonant revelation for sis straight women everywhere that actually it's like that sort of homoroticism can be really sexy, and that sexual afflidity and a man can be sexy. And I think like Timmy just came to like represent that in a way that really excited me because he is this sort of like new man, you know, Like I think that there is a new generation of men who are embodying that in a way that is just like exciting and I hope will sort of like transform the conventional notions of masculinity and what it means to be desired by a woman, Like what embodying that masculinity looks like is so much broader than the limiting context that we've been taught. And then he's also like, you know, just hot.
Speaker 3: That was like really not the answer I was expecting, And it was so nuanced and and interesting.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot more makes sense to me now because I remember seeing him on a boat with like some really hot woman in her like later thirties, and I was like, he's so young, Like what is it that, like all these women are so obsessed with him? So it's kind of just hemire.
Speaker 1: Referencing a photo that I know well, which is him and Lily rose up on a boat and can she's certainly.
Speaker 4: Not in No, no, no, it's not her like a child you No, that was not her.
Speaker 1: It wasn't he was with an older woman on a boat.
Speaker 4: He was with a's a Gonzalez.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, And she's in her thirties. Yes, yes, she's so hot. She defies age so like but yeah, when those when those hit the internet in quarantine. It was a real tree. Yeah, it was like a real gift for all of us. Timmy stands. Yeah, he seems to just be like sex positive cool in that he is positive about sex and and I'm excited by that, by that outlook for him.
Speaker 3: I'll segue into something else because when I found out that you grew up in New York, I was I have such envy of people that grow up in New York. Over the last two years, I've kind of explored the city more than I ever had before, and I realized that so many New Yorker's personalities hinge or are informed by growing up in New York. And so you grew up in Brooklyn. What do you think the most Brooklyn thing about you is.
Speaker 1: The most Brooklyn thing about me? Oh? God, probably is that it's just like I live in a constant state of fear, fear of all things, any and all things. It's an interesting combination the like Brooklyn kid makeup, because it's like super neurotic, sort of in survival mode, but also like street smarts. So I feel like I'm like a weird combination of constantly terrified and also like having to sort of not give a fuck in order to survive.
Speaker 3: I actually hope that that's what anytime I'm on the red cart.
Speaker 4: But I hope that's what my look conveys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, constantly terrified and also don't give a fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is. I think that's an important thing to do it. It would mean like you'd be holding a compact just in case to like check on things, but also you like throw the compact of the photographers.
Speaker 4: That sounds about right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I was researching, I loved this story that you told about your mom studying Kabbalah.
Speaker 4: So my mom made me take.
Speaker 3: A Kabala class with her because she said I needed to understand men better.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: It was horrible but also simultaneously sort of interesting. But your mom did this like way before Madonna, and she gave you a name because of this.
Speaker 1: Yes, she named me dirt Pan when I was born for the first ten days of my life, because I guess according to the Kabbala, you're supposed to name your kids some thing shitty so that like the angel of Death passes over you know them. And she came up with like dirt Pan, which isn't even a thing. It's like, it's not even there's a dust pan, a pan to collect dirt. She was like, what's worse than a dust pan? And I mean, you know, I don't know. It might be something that I take on later in life, just the sort of rebirth dirt pan, Lister Jones. It's got a ring to it.
Speaker 4: Did she tell you?
Speaker 3: I mean, because you obviously don't remember that the first ten days of your life, like she told you this later. Yeah, yep, which is also interesting that she needed you to know about dirt pan.
Speaker 1: She did need me to know about dirt pan. I don't remember the first time that she told that story, but there are so many of those stories that have come up in my in my childhood. I think in a good way, but makes me stronger, builds character.
Speaker 3: Well, it was cool to learn that both of your parents are artists. In other interviews, you said they were never able to make a living with their art. I was curious if they ever tried to steer you away from acting.
Speaker 1: Interestingly, they didn't, and I'm so grateful that they didn't. They were so supportive really of any creative pursuit, of any pursuit in general, creative or not, but definitely of creative pursuits, and I studied dance when I was little, and I was like interested in sort of dipping my toe into lots of different mediums, and they were just like, yeah, go for it. My mom put me in acting classes when I was younger because I was so shy, and she had taken acting classes because she's a video artist and she had taken acting classes to learn how to direct actors and she had taken them at this place called HB Studios in New York, and she found them really transformative, just like as a person. So yeah, she put me in them, but I was I was always like one foot out the door in terms of the acting thing. Like I was like there was something about it that I was really drawn to, and then I think I was also I couldn't tell if it was lame. I still can't.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, do you I still feel that way?
Speaker 1: Like when I got a scholarship to go to tish at n Yu, just the acting school there, and I was really torn about going, like I just didn't know if I wanted to put all my eggs into that basket. I really loved writing, and I think I also felt nervous about like how limiting that path was and how difficult it was. And I think because I had seen my parents struggle so much as artists themselves, I didn't have any like unrealistic fantasies. My image of my future was bleak as an actor.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like you saw the Ramen noodles, But.
Speaker 1: My mom was really the one to be like, no, go take that scholarship and go pursue it.
Speaker 3: When you think about now, after you've had so much success, like what does it mean to you to be able to live out their dreams? Because I feel like there's so much sacrifice.
Speaker 1: Involved totally, it's so meaningful to me that I'm able to in some ways like that they have some sort of vicarious thrill, and I think they both do, and their support has only like grown, you know, as I've grown in my life and career. And it's super cool to be able to make a living from art, Like that's just a crazy thing that I never take for granted. And I think, yeah, it's nice for them to see me do that.
Speaker 3: When I read one of Gloria Steinem's books a few years ago, she talks about how her mom never got to be a writer, and she really wanted to be, and there was kind of some guilt there that she got to do it.
Speaker 4: Do you feel any of that.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, I mean that's another characteristic I forgot to mention about the most Brooklyn thing about me. It's also guilt. That's like Jews and Catholics share that, but the Jewish Brooklyn night in me is just consistently guilty about everything. So I do feel guilt about that. I would love for both of my parents to be able to make their work in a way that you know, it's like it's not in a vacuum. Like both my parents have had careers where like my mom is in the permanent collection of MoMA and the Pompadou Center in Paris, and so it's not like they've been making their work in a vacuum. My dad, you know, had a really amazing career as well. But I think when you aren't able to make a living from your art, you then have to take other jobs, and those jobs take away from so much of your creative energy that I think that's what I think is the most sort of tragic part of that narrative. And also, you know, if you're rejected enough, it's really difficult to maintain a sense of self worth as an artist, and I struggle without myself because like, even though I am able to make a living, I'm still constantly facing rejection. So I would love I was just talking to my friend. I would love to like get a gallery to do a retrospective of both of my parents' work, because both of them were so ahead of their time, and I would love to like have a hand in like getting their work out into the public in a new way at this moment in both of their lives.
Speaker 4: Be really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe an NFT version exactly. I'm glad you brought up auditioning because I'm fascinated by it, Like, I hope you can get into the.
Speaker 4: Weeds with me a little bit.
Speaker 3: No one's ever been, like I've never talked to any truly successful actor about.
Speaker 4: What it was like auditioning. It seems horrendous to me.
Speaker 3: I can't even imagine you walk into a room with fifty people, fifty women who look like you, which is weird in itself, right, You're like, they all have my same color hair, and my same eyes and sort of the same nose. Yeah, do you become friends with them? Like you guys see each other one after another.
Speaker 1: You know, like back in the day when I started in my like twenties in New York, it was such a crew. Many of my dearest friends girlfriends are girls that we were just like stuck in waiting rooms forever for so many years together. And yeah, it's like a real I guess in not taking things personally because it's like, well, like every every person has has something different to offer, even if you know she's a brunette with blue eyes or whatever, and that when a friend would get something, it was really that that moment of being like I could feel upset or I could celebrate that person's success and he kind of had to just get to the place of celebrating, you know, other people's successes because it isn't about about you, you know, which is really still a difficult thing to really take in. But like testing what you do when you when you're auditioning for a TV show, once you get down, you know, way down the line in that casting process, there was something that people still do test. But back in the day, you would test by like I lived in New York, they would fly me out to LA I'd be in this room and the stakes are really high because you've already signed your contract, so you know how much money is on the line. You know how many seasons are on the line. Like it feels so you're so close, you know, you can like smell all the success.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you get to that point you're seeing you're seeing some yesses.
Speaker 1: Right, so you've made it so far that you're seeing that. You're like, I'm so close. There's like it's just like me and three other girls now, you know, as opposed to out however many, you know, hundreds of girls that they've seen for this part, and that I remember just being brutal because what you used to do. There's a studio and a network that own a television show, and so you'd go in front of the studio and used to do this live. You'd basically walk into a room with like twenty five suits and have to do you know, your audition in front of them. And after studio you'd have to go to network if you made it past studio. But you and all the other girls, some of you get cut after studio, so you'd have to sit with them as they got cut and then be like bye as they like cried, and you stayed. It was a fucking nightmare. Oh god. There was one one girl who's a friend of mine who then turned out to be so successful and like it's like nominated for Emmys all the time. But we were both flown out from New York for a role we both went in because I had the rental car. I was driving us both back to our hotel, and she got the call that she didn't get it in the car and I hadn't gotten it. So then the car ride was just like brutal awkward, brutally awkward. She's fine. Now she's more successful than me, So there you go.
Speaker 4: But that whole experience, because here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, I respect actors for a lot of reasons, but one of the reasons is that you are so vulnerable and so yourself. Even though you're playing another person, you have to like draw up all these very human feelings.
Speaker 4: And so it's very difficult to not take that personally.
Speaker 1: So difficult. It's so difficult, you know, I would say, well, all of it is difficult. It's like as a writer too, like you're like pouring, you know, I like pour my heart, Like every script is like a baby, like one of my babies and then I you know, if it gets rejected, someone's like, well I just don't want to make it, like a producer or a studio or whoever, it's like it's even more gutting. I think across across the industry, no matter what what part it's, it's gutting at every turn. But it is. Yeah, I think, like, I think that level of rejection and having not take it personally is is what sort of I think led me to making my own work pretty early on in my career because it allowed for me to, I guess, bypass the gatekeepers in that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I interviewed Taren Manning years ago and she said she felt like she made it when she's like a script came through for an audition and on the top of it it said Taryn Manning type and it like it's amazing, amazing, and she like she auditioned.
Speaker 1: Also, why didn't they just offer it to her right now?
Speaker 4: Do you think there's a Zoe Lister Jones type.
Speaker 1: A friend of mine told me that he puts a Zoe Lister Jones type into his pilot, which was which was the first time I had heard of it. That's cool. Is there a Zoelser Jones type. I suppose. I mean, I think in the world of television and there is which is just like, uh, you know, dry witted bitch.
Speaker 4: I don't think bitch. I'll be honest.
Speaker 1: I bitch is a term of endearment. Yeah, you know, would.
Speaker 4: You say those are the parts you were getting called in for?
Speaker 1: Early on, when I first started acting professionally, I called what I did crying for cash because I was crying so much. I was playing so many different victims because I have such like too much access to tears as a person, So I was like anytime it was like you gotta you know, your brother's dead or whatever, I would just be like, I'm there, let's go, and I just fucking water works it up and get the part. And also at that time, like, you know, it's such a rite of passage as a New York actor to do the law and order, And I was on so many Law and Orders which required a lot of crying because I was generally I was once I was a murderer's wife in one episode, and then I was a victim's sister in another. There I'm trying to think what my fourth was I good for Anyway, there's a lot of prime.
Speaker 3: Do you have an audition in your mind that like it was really memorable that went wrong.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. Oh well, yeah, there was one. It didn't go wrong, but the lead up was my true healthscape. Like I was testing for a sitcom, and you know, in a test, it's like always, but in a test, especially because you're sort of presenting yourself in this really high stake situation to like the brass at the network and shit, you know, you really have to like do it up, not just in terms of performance, but like what you're wearing. You know. I would always get my fucking hair done. Like I was like, you know, want to look camera ready, as we say. And I got in my car, I was like, I had to drive across town. I was in LA I was had to drive to the west side, so it's about forty five minute drive, and like like thirty five minutes, I realized that I had forgotten my high heels and I was wearing like my like driving shoes which were like really bunk loafers, like they were not they were not camera ready, and I freaked out. I called everyone I knew it. I like tried to stop at Zara. I was like, but nothing was open yet. Because it was so early and I was too far, I would have missed the you know, the test if I would have gone home. And I called my agent and I was like, you got to get me heels, Like I can't show up like this. This sounds so superficial.
Speaker 3: No, it matters when you're doing this stuff. And also you don't feel good going in if you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something about like me wearing heels that also was like going to give me that sort of like powerful stance that I felt that I needed too. I think now I would have handled this very differently and been like, yeah, I forgot my fucking heels, so you know, we can all just like deal with that. But at the time I was just so nervous and and so I went I got to the audition, I like went in and I was just like, there's nothing I can do. And I was in the middle of the test. This was on camera. This is like they've switched since the olden days of having to go into like a room full of like you know, twenty five people to now you're just like in front of a camera and there they're live streaming it. So I was in front of a camera, but in the middle of the test, there's like a knock on the door, and the producer was like, what is happening and my agent's assistant like cracks the door, was like, I have them, I have them, and she like had like heels like hanging through the fucking crack of the door, and I was like, get out, you know, Like I was just like, I'm in the middle of doing Oh my god. I ended up getting the part you did that was good. I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was not expecting that didn't really go that wrong. Then it sort of worked. It worked out.
Speaker 1: It didn't go wrong. I mean, the producer was like, why is this woman shoving shoes through the crack of this door? But no, it was a funny story, you know, in retrospect to tell once I got the fig out.
Speaker 4: The part, it is really funny.
Speaker 3: And I another funny one that I was listening to in one of your interviews was your SNL one.
Speaker 1: Yes, not great, terrible, No one should ever see that tape.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I heard you said that it was good. It was just that Fred Armison later recognized you.
Speaker 1: Right, No, it wasn't good. It was terrible. Fred Armison, who acted in this movie that I wrote, a director called band Aid, told me that he found a note in his iPhone from like two thousand. I don't know when I did that, like seven or something, that just said Zoe Lister Jones with no explanation. So when we were trying to figure out why, he was like, maybe it was because I watched your tape and I wrote your name down, because Lauren Michaels would like have him watch tape sometimes. But I just there can't be that can't be why because he would have never written down the name of the person that recorded the tape that I recorded. It's it was an abomination.
Speaker 3: But kind of cool that you were in his phone unknowingly I was on his phone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were memorable in some way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in some way, even if it was like steer clear.
Speaker 4: I have a weird question for you.
Speaker 3: So your Twitter bio says fifty percent Canadian, one hundred percent real.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And part of the reason I love my job is like I really love the research part. So I watched every interview you've ever done. Oh and in every single one, because I watch interviews all the time to study and practice in every single one.
Speaker 4: You are so yourself.
Speaker 3: You are the same person in every interview, and I can't tell you how rare that is. Really, it was so cool to see. And when you're an actor, so much of your focus is on yourself. It's your headshots and your comp car. I mean definitely now for you it's probably a little bit different, but at the beginning, so much of your focus has to be on yourself.
Speaker 4: How did you not get weird?
Speaker 1: Weird? But in a good way? You know that that's really that's really nice me to say that I am myself and all these interviews I fully black out on late I like totally black out because it's nerve wracking. I can't you know, how did I not get weird? I mean, thankfully, And no shade to child actors, but like I think, thankfully I didn't start that early like my mom. I think, like I remember like bringing me to an audition for like something like Bleak, like a Gus Fan film or something when I was like sixteen, And thankfully I didn't get it. And I do you know, I am really glad that I, you know, went to college and didn't just kind of jump in. I guess I think probably my parents is like how I just have never like drank the kool aid too much because I think it is dangerous too. I'll say, one other person who I really credit with giving me a little bit of the fucket that I think was necessary for me to get through this life so far is Julie White, who is a Tony Award winning actress who I did my first play with out of college that got me my equity card and then I ended up pointing a Broadway and she won the Tony for that play. But it was we shared a dressing room. I just remember, like she was so brilliant, she was so razor sharp. She was everything I dreamed of being and aspired to be as a performer, and her process was so like fuck it. Leading leading up to those performances, you know, we would just like read tabloid magazines and like listen to Christina Aguilera and then she just go on and slay and I was like, this is amazing, you know, because she wasn't like and you know, respect to like method actors, but but there was something amazing about seeing like someone just be like, yeah, this is my job and I love it. But like I think I've always sort of like been a little like eye roll towards like how seriously I think you can take the craft seriously and really like the passion of it seriously. And I you know, I think acting is really a lifeline for me because it is is one of the few plays in my life where I like sort of submit to a higher power of sorts, where I'm able to like really let go of control. But yeah, I see was really an inspiration in that, Like it was like, don't take it all too seriously or else you will get weird.
Speaker 3: The auditioning process and like the self belief leading up to that feels like you had to submit control as well, because there's just it's out of your hands, right, which is the worst part for ambitious people to try and go down a path like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, auditioning has never gotten easier, and I'm still having to put myself on tape, you know, all the time for things, and it's still a really frustrating process. There's just no way around it that. I don't think the hurt ever diminishes no matter where you are, you know, like in your career, because it is so out of your control. But I try to see everyone as like an opportunity to learn something new about myself or challenge myself as a performer, or you know, I get to like be performing Aeronofski's like you know, you know for for Aeronofski, or you know, any any number of like cool auteurs that like it's just like, well, that's cool even if I don't get the role.
Speaker 4: But is there a role that really taught you about yourself?
Speaker 1: A Talking about myself, I would say probably, Well, the first movie that I made as a co writer coep actor was called Breaking Upwards, and it was like loosely based on an open relationship that my partner and I had been in in real life. So that was definitely like about excavating in a way where like art was meeting life and vice versa. But I think every role is that to a certain extent. I mean, I think especially the roles that I write for myself, like and banded to their such personal stories, even though I'm like calling for my imagination as well. That yeah, I think you have to sort of learn about yourself in those things, and that's part of the fun of it.
Speaker 3: On another podcast, you said you were told you had a short shelf life at one point.
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's right by David Mammott, and I will call his ass out because that's a fucked up thing to say to a young woman.
Speaker 4: It really is. I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: Somebody said to me when I was like twenty that I was going to I was going to hit my prime and peak at twenty eight, and I was like, I giggled, but it stayed in my head. Oh, yeah, for sure, it's really messed up. And we don't do that to men ever never.
Speaker 1: So oh they're like a fine wine. They become more expensive with age. Truly.
Speaker 4: Did it stay in the back of your head for sure? I felt like I'm.
Speaker 1: Still talking about it. Yeah, Like, well, first of all, it made me really question my decision to get a college education. I mean that was like my freshman year and I was in his acting school at NYU and he was telling me like basically, why are you here, which maybe was like a backhanded compliment, but it was like, wait, I thought I was here to like learn my craft. You know.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like when you're on a data and a guy says, why are you single? Oh my god, I know, sort of flattering, sort of insulting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, it definitely stayed with me, and I think that the fear for all women is like, is that fear? I think, even without having a David Mammott say it to a person, we're sort of being fed that construct in one way or another from such a young age, that our youth is our value, you know, and that at a certain point we become invisible, which sadly is still like a real reality. And I see so many of my women friends who are actors, you know, being like wanting to shadow directors and wanting to get into writing and all of that stuff, you know, And I think it is fueled by this, even if it's sort of unconscious, this fear of like when's my time up? Yeah, which is so such bullshit, you know it.
Speaker 3: Is because it's a double standard, fully, yeah, yeah, totally as you're auditioning and even now, what's your relationship with your body?
Speaker 1: Like my relationship my body is very complicated, I would say, like so many women, I have, you know, body dysmorphia, and I've had a really complicated relationship to food my entire life. I think because of this just insane drive to be thin, which of course then going into my industry is only like you know, solidified in a really shitty way. I've never had and I'm thankful for this because I know a lot of women who have. I've never had anyone say like you need to lose weight, you know, for a role or anything. But I've always been really thin, you know. Not that they should say that to someone who's nothing, but it's like I've sort of been my own harshest critic in that way of like you're going to have to lose if you want to be on camera, and and.
Speaker 3: Like you have to stay this weight in order to get this role in your head, probably yea.
Speaker 1: And it's not even role specific, it's more just like my sense of self worth, you know, of just like and I was talking, you know, like I mean, the Trump presidency was a mind fuck for so many reasons, but I think rating women in a way that that I then had many conversations like some with like male family members of mine who were raiding women at a dinner table with my grandmother, president, with my mom, with you know, so many women in our family, and they're just like doing it as though it's not just like a deeply painful thing for us to bear witness too, and I spoke up and said, like, hey, so when you do that, it sort of just like confirms that our only value is in our physical appearance and in our desirability to men. And it's not that, like, you know, non hetero women also don't face these things, but at least, you know, in that sort of patriarchal construct. It really is like so much of our self worth is really based in that paradigm. That's just so debilitating. And I know so few women who are not completely fucked up by it. So even women, yeah, like and even women where I'm like you seem like like any unicorn of a woman, where I'm like, you seem to have like a like healthy relationship with yourself image, I'll then learn something where they completely don't. You know, it's really tragic. And I was talking to a young friend of mine who's eighteen, and we were with another friend of ours who's who's my age, and she was talking about doing this you know, diet where she's counting calories and da da da. I think you should not be talking about this right now because I'm just so protective over this new generation like that there could be some hope you know, because I think there is so much more body positivity now, and I think companies are working towards you know that, and representation is obviously so important in terms of the images we're consuming and seeing and going, oh, that's that's a beautiful body too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you. The hope is there. It feels like there's a shift. It needs to be more, but it feels like it's there.
Speaker 1: It does. But of course this eighteen year old my friend was like, well, she doesn't have body issues. And then this eighteen year old is like, yeah, I've been counting calories since I was like twelve, you know, Like, yeah, so I think it is. It is on us as well, like as women, to also try to shift that. I just said to this eighteen year old, like, please, like go to a hypnotist, like do something like stop it in its tracks now, because it is the biggest waste of your fucking energy, and you will spend all of your energy on this bullshit that could be put towards so many other really meaningful things in your.
Speaker 4: Life and things that will actually make you happier.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, Oh it's such a punishing cycle, you know it is.
Speaker 3: I want to cut to Whitney in twenty eleven because that's when I first saw you and so cool. You were a supporting character, and each week I would tune in for you, like to me, you stole the show. All the punchlines, all the wit to me came from you. And I actually think as the show progressed, the writers and like that, whoever the director was must have seen it because your character grew.
Speaker 1: Also, yeah they did. They started to write for me more, which was really nice.
Speaker 4: But that was such an ode to I think what you brought to it.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: When you went into the audition room, Whitney said why aren't you famous?
Speaker 1: Yet? Yes, not too similar to the date asking why are you single?
Speaker 4: Like also sort of insulting, sort of a confident.
Speaker 1: You know. I think like it's the equivalent of it if that date asked you why are you single? And then like put a ring on it, you know what I mean, Like Whitney did. She said whyren't you famous? And then she gave me a job that really did launch my career in in a way that was it just it changed the course of my life. So I'm forever grateful to her. But yes, she did ask me why and I did not why I wasn't and I didn't have an answer. But at that point in my life, I had been auditioning and testing for so many pilots and I just was not getting any and it got It was getting to a point where I was like, what is going on? Like because all of these casting directors and even directors would just be like, you're amazing, you know, not to pat myself in the back, but I was getting really good feedback, and so I was like, so, where's the disconnect that I'm not actually getting the job? And it does just take one person? And that was Whitney, and.
Speaker 3: You felt like after that it was easier to gain traction.
Speaker 1: Absolutely it opened the door. And then I really, since Whitney haven't stopped working in television. So I've been really fortunate in that way.
Speaker 3: You've said a lot of things that resonated with me in your other interviews, but this was by far my favorite. You said you were always very aware of how women are portrayed on screen, and the general lens through which you view the world is pretty focused on gender inequity.
Speaker 4: Same.
Speaker 3: I don't know where it came from or why, but it's always been like since I was little, the lens through which I see things, so the way I watch movies, the way I see women on screen in life, in meetings. So you did something about it. You said, there were a lot of talk about numbers that weren't changing, and you were in a position to do something. So you wrote and directed a movie titled band Aid, and you put an all female crew together, which was the first for a feature film, which is very cool.
Speaker 1: That I know of. That I know of, Yeah, that I know of too.
Speaker 3: Do you think that being on the other side of the camera makes you look at younger you differently now that you're doing other things besides acting.
Speaker 1: Gosh, my gut says no, because like, younger me was really intrepid in a way that I actually look back at younger men. I'm like, where did that come from? You know? Before graduating NYU, I wrote a one woman show for myself to star in, and I got like five grand like from like friends and family and rented a theater and put it on. And that's how I got my first like agent and manager. And there's like I think I've always had like a real hustler spirit in that way of like some hutzpa, real hutzpa. Yeah, but I mean I do think that after that, I then didn't you know, it took me a while to direct something, and I didn't have that hutzpa to do that right away. So I guess that's the younger part of me that I'm sort of interested in, Like, why didn't you just go be like, Okay, I'm gonna go make a movie now? You know?
Speaker 4: Has there been something about success that surprised you?
Speaker 1: I don't identify as successful.
Speaker 4: I think that's such an interesting answer in itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I am grateful for the success that I have, for sure, but I think at any level in one's career, there's always like so many more milestones to hit. I guess maybe that's it. It's like that the things that I've dreamed of accomplishing, it's like, once you accomplish them, it's very quick. You very quickly go okay, But I haven't accomplished this other thing. I think the hardest thing is to celebrate my successes.
Speaker 3: What do you think the biggest sacrifice is that you've made along the way.
Speaker 1: I think like having fun. I have fun, but I definitely am addicted to work, and I definitely believe that my value is based on how productive I am, so I think I have sort of sacrificed some life things, and that's I think Quarantine has been a big lesson in that in terms of what I want to shift moving forward. Is like a sense of play that is outside of work, because I'm fortunate enough to have a sense of play in my work, you know. But then but then I come home and I'm tired, or then I'm not working and I'm anxious, and it's like, how do I bring that sense of play into my non working life?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it. I feel very similarly.
Speaker 3: I think when you get a lot of joy out of your work, it's hard to force yourself to do it outside of work too.
Speaker 1: Totally. Yeah, what's one.
Speaker 3: Thing you've learned from the younger generation of women and one thing you've learned from the older generation of women?
Speaker 1: Ooh, I like this question. Well, I guess the younger generation of women I think they are embodying like sex positivity, body positivity, and intersectionality in a way that I think is something for us all to learn from. And the older generation of women, I mean I've learned, I've learned everything from my mom, you know, who's like an og feminist, and that is why I look at the world through the lens, especially the world of media through the lens that I do. I guess, yeah, I learned from the older generation not to take shit. I guess you know, like there's something Yeah, they just they had to walk through, you know, such hell to get to where they got to. That then paved the way for us. And then you know, we're learning from the fourth wave feminists about our limitations as feminists. So, I mean, I think it's really exciting the way the baton is being passed.
Speaker 3: It's cool to watch and it's cool to have a little perspective because when I was younger, I don't think I had.
Speaker 4: That as much.
Speaker 1: Oh fully, Yeah, is there.
Speaker 3: Something about Hollywood or your job that bewilders you or still bewilders you everything.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what bewilders me. It's like, you know, in the world of television, like as a creator, I've pitched so many things in my career haven't gone and I think all of them are great, just like and it's bewildering, you know, where you're just like, well, why why not? This?
Speaker 4: Is that? Why you started your production company, well.
Speaker 1: The production company, I mean, yes, but I think there is a I mean, I'm trying to push for this in as many ways as I can, and I wish there was a world for independent television making because our production company.
Speaker 4: Is a great idea, is.
Speaker 1: Great at like independent filmmaking. But even if you have a production company, you still have to get through the gatekeepers of the studios and networks.
Speaker 4: And and they're channel that's so cool.
Speaker 1: I know, or like or like I mean festivals they are now showing like independent pilots, but it's rare that they go anywhere. And I was just like talking to a friend who's a producer and saying, like, it would be so cool if, like we could just go shoot a series a season of television independently and then sell it there. And there hasn't really been a model for that.
Speaker 4: I think you need to create that really great idea.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Is there a book that you think everyone should read or a book that changed your life?
Speaker 1: I read a book many years ago that then I reread recently called Open to Desire Mark Epstein. It's like an interesting meditation on Buddhism. Did you read this book? No?
Speaker 3: But I'm going to get it. It sounds kind of like what I need right now.
Speaker 1: It's a really interesting exploration of like how we deal with our desires and that like the part of desire is that it's the place in between wanting and getting, and that there's a complete submission in desire that you have to be open to because so many of us in our desire want to control the outcome. We want to get it, but a lot of it means that we don't get it, and you still have to be cool with the desire, you know, and to like relish in the desire, in the act of desiring, because that's so important. But letting go of the clinging to the outcome is like the hardest part.
Speaker 3: Kind of a profound New Age rom com.
Speaker 1: Well, I wrote something sort of based on it, so yeah, that was it's inspired my work. And then probably like ton Heasy coachs Between the World and Me, I think is like something that everyone needs to read, especially you know now for obvious reasons. But yeah, he's just got such a brilliant mind and is such an amazing educator, you know, in a very poetic.
Speaker 3: Way and delivers information really digestively. Totally so when I asked you the question about your body and your relationship to it. The reason I named the podcast pretty Smart is because I read a book called Beauty Sick that changed my life, and the author talks about how we value pretty among anything else in American women. And I thought about the prettiest women I knew, and they were pretty, funny, pretty strong, pretty kind, like all these other types of pretty. And if you ask any other person, specifically guys, who the prettiest woman in their life is, no one says like Instagram models, so and so. They all say, like my mom my, sister, like people that are truly pretty. So I came up with a card deck, and I always ask one random question. Okay, what is a piece of pop culture, a movie, TV show, or album that made you feel like you belonged?
Speaker 1: There are so many in terms of pop culture. I mean, Liz Fair's Exile in Guyville was an album that I listened to too young. I didn't understand what she was talking about. It was like really sexually provocative, but I understood, like I liked that there was room for like anger in a woman's work, and that it could be funny and it could be sort of irreverent and self referential, and I think, yeah, that was like a seminal album for me in that way, and sexy, like she could be all of those things. I remember watching Reality Bites and it really it's a little corny, you know, to admit, but like I then ended up shaving my head. I was young. I was like eleven. I think I shaved my head for many reasons that I think as an adult now in retrospect, I understand some of the things that I was going through emotionally as well. But Reality Bites, like Wanona in Reality Bites, she didn't even have that that short hair. She had sort of a mullet as if I remember, but she was like doing something. There was something about the sort of counterculture of those nineties kids that I was like, yes, I want in I identify.
Speaker 3: Last question, what is the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 1: To hire all women on band aid as my crew? It really was. It was like, you know, I think there was a selfishly I was looking to also like create an environment in which I could seed as a first time director, and I had just witnessed I had witnessed a lot of the double standards that really come out just in microaggressions with women behind the camera. Directors in particular, just sort of a heavier line of questioning of their decision making. And I didn't want to put myself in that position. And I also just wanted to see what it feel like, you know, in this sort of utopia that I could create, And it exceeded all of my expectations and it did set me up to succeed, and I think, you know, I was able to make the film that I wanted to because of the women that were holding me up and lending their own incredible, you know, singular visions to the project.
Speaker 4: So you made real change. It was really cool.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks, yeah.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for your time. I really loved getting to know you more.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was so great to talk to you. Thank you for all of your amazing questions.
Speaker 3: That's really sweet of you. All Right, today is a good day. To have a good day.
Speaker 4: I'll see you next week.
Speaker 3: H