Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg business Week Inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus gloom O Business Finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week Podcast with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, Welcome to the Bloomberg Business Week Weekend Podcast. Yes, we had a FED meeting this week, signaling three rate cuts likely this year. Despite the FED lifting the forecast for core inflation, stocks ralling on the news, sending the SMP to a record close about fifty two hundred for the first time, folks. You can read more about it and what the FED is up to at Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 3: Tech talks outperforming right after that FED decision, and the world of technology is where we are focusing this hour, including talks about Apple and Google getting more deeply involved with one another, this time on our artificial intelligence. And you know her for her podcasts and chronicling of the individuals and companies that have dominated the tech landscape for the past thirty years. Kara Swisher on her new book It's called burn Book, a Tech love story All of.
Speaker 1: That to coll and we begin with the doubling down on a relationship that's already existed for years between two very well known giants in the tech space. We are talking about Apple and Alphabet.
Speaker 3: The story by Bloomberg's chief technology reporter Mark German caught the attention of investors, sending both stocks hire. Earlier this week, Mark joined us along with bloomberg new Senior executive editor for Global Technology, Tom Giles, giving us all the details Apple and.
Speaker 4: Google are and talks for Apple to license Gemini, that's Google's top generator of AI, large language model for integration into the iPhone and iOS eighteen and the iPad later this year. Apple has its own homegrown AI, including some Jenai that will be based into the device. Those will be models that run on the phone themselves, but with a lot of consume. Are clamoring for our Gemini Microsoft Copilot Chat GBT the ability to type in a short prompt and get an essay, a letter, or an image or what not created for you that's very reliant on the cloud. It's a very expensive endeavor obviously that comes with a lot of challenges in scrutiny as well, and so Apple felt like going with a partner at least this year, isn't its best interest. It has talked to open AI and it has talked to Google. The open AI talks happened recently, but the Google talks are active, and it appears both Google and Apple are keen on getting something done by June. Obviously this could still fall apart, but this is what's happening right now, the two being in discussions.
Speaker 3: Hey, Mark, does it also tell us a story? Does it tell you a story about where Apple is when it comes to its progress on AI right now or lack there? Yeah, and that's the real question.
Speaker 4: It tells us that Apple has not made as much progress as it would need to on the generative AI and cloud based generator of AI front specifically. I do think they have made a lot of progress on on device AI in day to day usability, but either it has not made progress or it doesn't feel like it needs to make progress on cloud based GENETAI specifically based on short prompts. I would imagine it does come down to the fact that they need They know they need to get this out this year. They know Google's the best why not expand that search deal, maybe make some money off of it too, while having far less liability than they would if they went in house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do feel like the pressure is on all of the big tech names to kind of really move forward when it comes to AI. Tom Giles come on in on this, because I feel like when you hear Apple and Google get together on anything, I feel like exponentially the impact And I think about regulators just being like, wait, what are you two doing now again.
Speaker 5: As we saw this story coming together, the wheels in my head started turning. Immediately. My thinking is, DOJ and FTC are going to look at this this agreement should it come together with great interest? As we all know, DJ is already looking into that relationship between Apple and Google that gives Apple, that gives Google added prominence on the iPhone.
Speaker 1: When it comes to search right, when it comes.
Speaker 6: To search right.
Speaker 5: But so if you see something that deepens the relationship between two of the most powerful companies in the world, you're gonna want to make sure that that's not something that's gonna thwart competition or in any way hurt the consumer somehow keep competitors from getting into this space. So there's lots of questions that they have that they're going to ask and already the FTC is looking at the relationship when it comes to AI between Microsoft and open Ai. So these kinds of things they're gonna.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be why whiteboard, I'm assuming you guys had this massive white.
Speaker 5: We're gonna want to look at the find at the details, the fine print.
Speaker 3: So Mark, it's funny when you when you talk about Apple and Alphabet, you know they're certainly competitors to the extent that Alphabet has the Android operating system, which you know, is the biggest operating system in competition with Apple's iOS. But at the same time they are partners and Apple has had partnerships with once rivals in the past. I think back to this event in twenty fifteen, when I think it was an iPhone event or maybe an iPad event, where a Microsoft executive was on stage, and it was such a big deal that like a Microsoft executive was actually on stage at this event. If this partnership comes to fruition, is it that big of a deal or is it not that big of a deal because Apple and Google have had a partnership in the past.
Speaker 4: I certainly remember that iPad pro announcement that was in September twenty fifteen, and Microsoft at the time, under their new CEO, sought in Nadela. At the time, their goal was to get their software and services everywhere. Apple's goal at the time was to make the iPad more of an office device, and so there was some mutual benefit there. Getting Office on the iPad would be good for both parties. In this case, getting Gemini built into the iPhone would also be.
Speaker 7: Good for both parties.
Speaker 4: Apple would be able to push new AI features that everyone's claiming for to its two billion users, and Gemini would be gaining many more users and a stronghold on one of the most popular devices of our lifetimes. Right, and I want one more thing.
Speaker 6: I want to add.
Speaker 4: Tom's point is excellent about the FTC and the doj our thinking on this is that in order to combat those concerns, Apple probably will have to have an API or some sort of short or feature for other generative AI providers, maybe open Ai, maybe Anthropic, maybe someone else to be able to integrate themselves into iOS as an alternative. And better yet, Apple probably would have to let users choose when you boot up the phone for the first time, who you want your generative AI provider to be or as Tom said, the DOJ and FTC are going to be smelling around pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: I also do wonder about Gemini Apple Google, who gets I mean, who benefits more. You just said mark Gemini into the iPhone. It's good for both parties. Did one of them need to do this more than the other? Was the pressure on Apple?
Speaker 6: You know you move in?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I would say the easy answer is the pressure is more so on Apple. But I think there's pressure on both companies.
Speaker 6: Right Google.
Speaker 4: You know, Search obviously is down. Google is looking for, you know, new areas of growth and getting its you know, next big thing on the world's biggest or second biggest platform. You know, it's a big deal for them. They're already owning their own in house platform, they'll own number one, and now they could own number two on AI as well. So I think the pressure is probably equal on both, maybe more so on Google, because I think if Apple didn't do anything this year on the A front, if they didn't do this, it would be a bad look. We'd certainly criticize them heavily for it. But would their revenue drop significantly? Would people stop buying iPhones, probably not so. Certainly, maybe the pressure is more on Google, but certainly on both.
Speaker 5: From the investor point of view, you have to look at the perception that there are some players that are far further ahead when it comes to generative AI. A lot of people are giving a lot of props to Sachi Nadella and Microsoft for getting in on that relationship with open Ai at an early stage, making a big investment, and being seen as leaders. There's a lot of criticism about Google, on the other hand, as being something of a lagorty. They should have been way ahead of the game when it comes to AI. They've got deep mind, they had their own AI team at work. Sometimes those two teams worked at loggerheads with each other. They're getting that better, but they are seen as being behind Microsoft and its relationship with open Ai. You see Meta coming from out of left field with its lms. It's open sourcing them. There's a lot of momentum behind that, and Zuck is putting a big push behind that, and Apple of those big players.
Speaker 6: You really would like to see see Apple.
Speaker 5: Being in that conversation. It's not in those conversations. It's not being mentioned in the same breath Microsoft, Open AI, and even Google.
Speaker 1: It does feel like today's news has kind of changed that, right, like all of a sudden the conversation maybe, all right, I don't know that Apple all of a sudden, we're looking at differently a little bit.
Speaker 5: Potential that it that it has a strong relationship with Google and it's going to capitalize on that and weave more of those open those AI features into the iPhone, providing a huge platform and a huge validation for what Google has been doing. Both have the potential to benefit tremendously from this, And.
Speaker 1: Tim, I think about how much we've talked about Google, right and the criticism of Gemini specifically in terms of some of the biased concerns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so talk a little bit about that, Mark, because it was just a couple of weeks ago that we were talking about all the challenges that Alphabet was facing in its AI ambitions and the CEO of the company had to essentially come out and say, well, you know, wait a second, this is not acceptable to us, and we're working on this to try to make it better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and over those familiar with some controversy on Twitter and other social media about you know, which races were portrayed in an historical context. This is my understanding. My understanding is that Google would provide the Gemini underlying model to Apple right, which apparently did not have the issue. And this particular issue that soon Darbar Chai, as you said, commented on and was at the center of the controversy was related to the end user interface of the Google chatbot. So it's apparent that, or apparently from what I'm told, this issue wouldn't have been replicated on the iPhone integration.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really interesting, Tim and I are both reading Caris Switscher's book that kind of takes you through so much in the technology world.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: I know our own team has really just chronicled it so well over the last couple of decades or the last decade and a half. But I just think about, how, you know, Tom, there are companies that were so much seemingly at the forefront that all of a sudden they weren't. And I do feel like you see this jocking among especially some of the establishment, of like we got to be on this because this is what we all think is the next wave.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm really struck by if you look at the share price of these companies. I mean, Apple rocketed ahead, became the world's most valuable company, but at stock has kind of, you know, taken a turn for the worst. By contrast, I'm fascinated by you. Look at the share price for Meta on the other hand. A couple of years ago, Meta was on the ropes. We were talking about the existential threat posed by companies like TikTok, for example. We were talking about the things that Apple has done, sort of changing and making it harder for you to monetize advertising on the iPhone, and that really hurt Facebook. A couple of years ago, their stock was tanking as a result of all these things. Now look at how Meta's performing visa the Apple. The story has changed dramatically.
Speaker 3: Well, Tom, I'm curious about this idea of a landgrab or AI going on right now, because each of these big megacap companies has their own identity, right Facebook, Meta owns social networking, Apple owns the iPhone and the mobile operating system, at least at the high end. Right, you have Alphabet that owns search. You have Microsoft, which would say that it owns productivity, but it plays in a lot of different areas. And now they're all going after what is essentially the same thing. Is there any sort of historical corollary for this when you have so many companies that are known for their own thing kind of going after a new thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and some of them do better than others. I mean the Internet, some of them you know, built themselves on that, and others got left behind. Microsoft comes to mind, for example, when it comes to mobile telephony. You know, Apple sprinted ahead and really has owned that space. Google came in and with Android has done very very well. But if you look at dominance of the hardware and of the US market, Apple is kind of really run away with that. Microsoft went nowhere.
Speaker 1: So Mark come back in on because I think about just the last is it week or so or two weeks or so? Apple give it up on the car after ten years and now this potential deal. It looks like with Google moving kind of all in pretty aggressively. It feels like with artificial intelligence, how are you kind of looking at Apple holistically right now on this news?
Speaker 4: The presence of new artificial intelligence software and capabilities doesn't change the underlying idea that Apple's a hardware company that makes seventy five percent to eighty percent of their annual revenue from hardware. So even if they fix this underlying problem with the lack of artificial intelligence, or even when they do as I should say, doesn't fix the underlying notion that they don't necessarily have a next generation hardware product to make money off of. Now here's where those two things come together. AI could enable all sorts of new hardware products in the future.
Speaker 3: What do you mean very.
Speaker 6: Core of that?
Speaker 4: Well, the car was an AI product right at self driving cars AI hardware, and now that AI hardware is no longer happening. So they're going to have to figure out some sort of new hardware category, whether it's based on AI, probably or not, to really move the needle revenue wise. The iPhone has completely plateaued, the iPad has been sinking, the Mac has plateaued. Some of their other products AirPods, Apple Watch, et cetera. Those are growing, right, but those are not meaningful contributors to the bottom line. The jury is still out on the vision pro. There are some other future categories that they're working on, so I'll mention now and some I won't, including AirPods with cameras, augmented reality glasses. But those don't really change the fundamental story. The question is what is the next big thing that could bring as much revenue and interest in as a car And I think even for Apple right now, it's a little unclear.
Speaker 5: Hey, Mark, and I've got a question for you in the last few seconds. Can you talk about where and how Apple might use this for Vision Pro.
Speaker 1: And real quick? Mark about there?
Speaker 4: Ye know, that's yeah, yeah, sure, that's a great question. So there is some AI in the Vision Pro, but nothing like you've seen from what Meta has been able to do with their headsets integrating AI. There is a future I see where the vision pro cameras could tap into this new generative AI that they're getting for Google and their in house to unite those two things. You could be walking around a grocery store. The artificial intelligence compare with those cameras tell you more about a food item you're looking at, or you look at a player at an NBA game. The AI combined with those cameras can tell you their stats or what their three point percentages, depending on where they're standing behind the r.
Speaker 1: All right now, I totally kind of get it, all right, We so appreciate it. Markerman, Bloomberg News Chief Technology Report and of course, Bloomberg News Senior Executive editor for Global Technology, Tom Giles joining us in studio.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm. Easter Listen on Apple, card Play and the Bright Auto with a Bloomberg Business at or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: It is Bloomberg BusinessWeek. That's Carol Master. I'm Tim Staneveek, and you all know our next guests from the podcast on with Kara Swish and Pivot. You see her on CNN, where she's a contributor. She's also a former contributing opinion writer for The New York Times. She co founded the tech news site Recode, and then, earlier in her career, she was also a reporter for The Wall Street Journal, where she founded the tech news site All Things D and she was a reporter at the Washington Post.
Speaker 1: All right, everybody. Her new book is burn Book, a Tech love Story. It details her more than thirty years covering the tech industry. We are delighted to have with US journalist and author Kara Swisher joining us now from Chicago. Hello, Hello, to say that we love the book. As an understatement, I think Tim and I both listened to it as audio books, so it was fun to hear you narrate it. We want to get into the book you, but we'd be You're welcome, we'd be remiss not to kind of ask you about kind of the broader I don't know, tech outlook if you will, and some of the stories, whether it's the redded ipo, whether it's TikTok banning in the US, whether it's Apple and Google getting together on AI. What is it that you kind of find really really interesting right now and that you think investors in like a Bloomberg audience or the audience at large, should really be paying attention to.
Speaker 7: Sure, Interestingly, i'd have to tell you something about that book. The audio version is selling the double the amount of the print version. Wow, he's the bestseller list. So it's really interesting. So that to me, since my last book, which was twenty five years ago, is a really interesting trend. Obviously, I do podcasts, so people like listening to me.
Speaker 3: So did you narrate your other books though, Caro, I did.
Speaker 7: I did, but nobody was listening. So I wonder if if I wonder if it is there is no iPhone. Just remember this.
Speaker 3: You know it's funny. So I listened to it on Spotify, which you can now listen to. So you can listen to it for free on Spotify if you're a subscriber. Carol bought it on a different service. Does it matter to you how someone listens to it?
Speaker 7: I get paid, no matter what paid.
Speaker 3: That's all we care about.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, that's all I care about my content, which is why I'm kind of a media entrepreneur. But the bigger picture, I mean all the above that you were talking about, whether it's a I interviewed Steve Hoffman this morning for a rather long interview which we're not going to publish all after the company goes publiics for obvious reasons. And you know, I've been following a reddit for nineteen years. I just realized I've known him for nineteen years when he was a kid. Actually, and so or Steve sam Altman, who I recently had on stage in San Francisco, also someone I met when he was nineteen years old. But you know, I'm everything Ald is new again in a weird way. But I'm paying a lot of attention to climate change tech, to AI obviously and where it's going and the bit there's a lot of machinations around that and lots of different permutations. I'm spending a lot of time thinking about healthcare tech and the impact of AI on that, and obviously the big companies and what's going to happen to them in media everybody you know at the end of media as we know what kind of the story. This has been going on for three decades.
Speaker 3: Now, Okay, so let's get to some of those things. I do want to start with with Reddit, and you know your conversation with Steve today, not notwithstanding, does does Reddit have what it takes to compete with the meta platforms? The alphabets? Yeah, the amazons? Now when it comes to tour I mean this is how it makes its money.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, yeahs it does. Okay, I mean I think they're just toy but I get so confused when they try these things. They're not profitable in a traditional sense, but they I think they have cash flow, which I think is what you need. They're remind me more of Snapchat, but a different service, a very different kind of service. I mean, their business is small, five hundred I guess five hundred million, users seventy six million daily users. I think that's the one they want to push people towards. I think it was eight hundred million dollars in advertising. It's a drop in the bucket to what the other companies are doing. So it's a small social media site. Its strength is the decentralization of the content, moderation and the decentralization of the service. It makes it a stronger and more enjoyable service. A lot more young people are on it. I have lots of kids, but my older kids who are eighteen, nineteen and twenty one and use Reddit all the time and YouTube, that's pretty much it. They don't use any of those other sites. That's how they consume video because they like the decentralized part of it, and they don't like what everyone's dumped in the same stew and have to yell at each other and point finders, and they're not interested. So I think it's an interesting business. I don't know if it's a huge business. They're they're starting to try to license data. That was a slightly controversial selling Google the data feeds, but that's everyone's going to do that, so I'm not sure why we pick on them.
Speaker 1: Particularly it's interesting what you say too about your your kids and a younger generation. I mean, as Twitter tries to find out what it wants to be when it don't call it Twitter, Carol.
Speaker 7: What X wants to be, you can call it whenever you want. That is true.
Speaker 1: I mean, does that give does that give redded an opening in your view? Like I'm trying to figure out what's the role.
Speaker 7: Of It's been the same service. Twitter is now become a toxic waste dump really pretty much and a place where a billionaire works out all his childhood traumas in front of us in real time, and and so and they're very and his ugly character at this point. But no, I think it's different. It's it's it's very it's a little more like TikTok if you think about it. It's interests, like you're interested in skins or you're interested in video games. It's decentralized, and so that's a power. That's a very powerful thing to do, to be in this time when there where again there's these central feeds of which you can't really pick and choose. So in that way, TikTok it's more akin to TikTok in that regard where and also the advertising is context it's that contextual advertising, not the kind that's creepy and gross. So they're gonna make less money because they're not as creepy and gross as other services. So I like the service. I think it's quite good. I don't think it's a huge business. They might try commerce, he was talking. I mean, they've been talking in their in their filings about commerce, but that's a nascent business. But it makes sense to try.
Speaker 1: You mentioned TikTok. We've all been, you know, talking about TikTok, as you would guess everybody has over the last week or so. Should it be banned in the US? What's the future?
Speaker 2: What is?
Speaker 1: And I don't know.
Speaker 7: I have talked about this for years, so it's I'm like, oh, yeah, you're talking about this now. I wrote a column in The New York Times a couple of years ago saying I thought it was one of the best new products I had seen in a while, and this is when it before it got really popular, but that I use it on a burner phone because of the Chinese commedi party and the potential for spying, and not just spying, because more more propaganda and abuse by by a foreign adversary, and so I was trying to call attention to the fact that Now, look, I think I really do believe the TikTok executives when they say they're not up in our grill at the same although there's been instances of them being up in the grill of certain things, but I don't care at this point because they could be. They could be in every Chinese tech company I covered has the Chinese Communist Party up in their grill. They're just it just has happened. And honestly, why wouldn't they be. I mean, that would that makes sense for, you know, even to use the platform to their purposes. If we had reciprocity in China, I might have a different point of view. And by the way, they're not going to let us because guess what we do. We propagandaze and we'd we'd surveil, I mean obviously. So I'm not sure I think it's a national security issue. I've I've seen enough proof of it, and I do you know, I don't think you necessarily trust the government saying it is. But there's no question that we would not allow China to buy CNN much smaller, considerably smaller. It's a broadcast network, and it should be regulated like a broadcast now, yea.
Speaker 3: And even before tick is media, yeah, even yeah, before he bought.
Speaker 7: You know, and then he did his endless damage on the American democracy. But he had to be an American to do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll get to media more media in just a bit. I do want to stick with with TikTok and go bigger picture here. You make an interesting point in your book at the end of the book, the whole book about technology and your role covering technology over the last thirty years, about looking away from our phones, looking up from our phones, and spending less time on them. And it makes me think about the several issues that I talk to people that they have about TikTok. One is that you know, of course, all the stuff that you brought up with national security concerns. But two, it's that you know they can't get their teenagers away from it. So I'm wondering how you think this stuff should be regulated.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I've talked about age gating quite a bit, like we age gate a lot of things. Having having so many kids, I spend a lot of time thinking about it, but my kids weren't particularly I think there's a I think the people that really got a problem with they are thirty to fifty. They're the crazy ones. In the middle, they're the addicted ones. Younger people twenty five and under, maybe twenty two and under to you know, eighteen to twenty really have it together. I think in a lot of ways they have a real sense of how to use it because they've grown up with it. And it kind of reminded me when I was a kid where everybody's I watched a lot of television and they said, oh, it's you're going to become an idiot. It's the boob toobe. That's what they called it. That's right, and they did. And you know, like my dad helt your brain. Yeah, I don't watch the boob tube. And you know, was that time wasted? I don't know. I don't know. Video games didn't turn out to be as bad. You know, they're addictive. I think this this stuff is very addictive in a different way from either of those two things. And I think it isolates and other things. So we need to understand what's happening by getting data from these companies, which they don't want to share unless whistleable or gives it to us. But I think the I think they remind me a little bit of cigarettes, So I think there should be warnings. I think there should be age gating. I think it has elements of cigaret. If you took cigarettes and television and mashed them together and then you couldn't, then you had it strapped on your face, you know the television, that would be what it is.
Speaker 1: Well, you could almost see the commercial, right giving a kid a cigarette, right or like you see it, like you know, but would you you know? Then you give them a phone?
Speaker 7: Right, we see it. It's it's it's media on steroids, and so we have to think about it. And of course we're addicted ourselves parents, so it's not the whole. And more importantly, you need to have it to work. You can't not have it, so it's it's it's a cigarette you cannot not smoke, right, So, and.
Speaker 1: Kids increasingly need it for school, Like you can't even pull it away because so much it's been done. Caro, Let's get to the book The Burn. And we were thinking Tim and I were like, how do we want to start with our how how do we want to start with there. If you were interviewing yourself, sitting in your red steelcase chairs, what would be your first question to yourself? And you sometimes come out tough first.
Speaker 7: Yes I do. I always, not always. Sometimes I'm a charmer, that's true. I think, why why do you still love it? Why do you still well? No, if you want to be tough to me? Are you obsessed with Elon Musk?
Speaker 1: Are you so? Are you?
Speaker 7: He's obsessed with No, he's obsessed with me. He's the one that listen. Did you see the blurbs on the blurb?
Speaker 2: We did?
Speaker 1: Yes, we did?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well I don't know.
Speaker 9: Them.
Speaker 1: We can't say them all, which is why everybody knows to read the book.
Speaker 7: I know what I did is I replaced blurbs with nasty things tech boys say about me, and I use them for marketing, because if they they want to straight for woman, right, I'll use it for selling my book. That sounds good to me. But you know they're trying to as if I'm going to be some delicate flower and melt at their insults.
Speaker 1: Why don't well, you know what's interesting about Elon and your book? And you like make these points of that. There's parts of him that how can you not be kind of a little bit enamored where he's, you know, trying to do a solar trying to do work on really serious problems. Right, it's not like I said, how do I download music again? Like kind of thing and you do your p twop ratio, which you can't say. People have to read the book to understand what it is. This is a clean show. But so how do you cross like these people who think differently and yet there are some real body concerns.
Speaker 7: Well, he's he's a case study and someone who's lost, you know, lost the narrative or other's significantly.
Speaker 1: Why do we lose it? Do you think?
Speaker 7: I don't know. I'm not his mama. I think he uh. I think COVID played a part in it. I think these these he's a perfect example of that age range sort of. I guess it's thirty to sixties, a little older than that, which makes you wonder how how he loves the boob jokes at that age, at fifty two or fifty three, Who he is? I think that I think that he was doing things that were amazing. I have to say the cars, and he didn't invent Tesla, but He certainly is a business genius, and same thing with SpaceX business genius. He's taken the challenge of other people and himself and made it into really interesting businesses. Even the tunnel to Game one is cooled in away. Hyperloop is a great idea. So he had big ideas. And I'll tell you that's what attracted me to him because everyone else was doing, you know, a digital dry cleaning service that digital is just they was so god exhausting.
Speaker 1: Should we should we continue to take him seriously?
Speaker 7: I wish we could, because but he's sort of given into he's indulged himself in his manias, and so every day he's tweeting hateful things, and not every day he's doing every minute he's doing that. He's not inventing the future. You know, he's inventing. He's he's reinventing hate. Just what he's doing grievance. He's reinventing grievance.
Speaker 3: At the same time we are seeing Starship reach new highs.
Speaker 7: Sure yeah, well sure, but he's getting to you know, he's getting to experiment on the US dime. That's he's having US contracts, which is thank you Federal government. Yes, that's right, he is doing that. But there's other people there. I think we attribute because we have an idolatry of innovators. We think he's the only one, like he's a Willy Wonka in there making all the candies. Not you know, And so I have a great regard for Gwen Shopwell name. You don't hear very often, right, the president SpaceX, she runs SpaceX. Let's be clear. I mean she will stand aside for him, but from when I understand, she's the driving force of that company and Tesla the same way. There's a lot of executives there by the way, they're under a great deal of stress now given all the competition and the fall off and computer you know, the fall off and consumer sentiment in general and in particular with him.
Speaker 3: Hey care, I do want to one more on Elon and then we're gonna move on. Sure, hopefully.
Speaker 7: You know it's the character of the moments. He really is.
Speaker 3: And you know you've known him for years, and you write about in the book that you've you knew him in the early years that the PayPal when he had when he.
Speaker 7: Had his nut PayPal, he wasn't PayPal, He didn't create PayPal. He created x Outcome right right, people don't know says he founded PayPal. He did not found PayPal.
Speaker 3: Obviously evolved since then, and I'm wondering.
Speaker 7: He had a company called god he finished. He had a company called zip too that was a Yellow Pages online thing. Then he went to x dot com and then he started doing the more interesting things.
Speaker 3: So he evolved obviously since then, and he's evolved to where he is now. Are you optimistic that this evolution could continue and you could see a different Elon Musk in a few years.
Speaker 7: No, I don't. I don't. I think he's well passed the cell by day at this point. You know, he's devolved, is what's happened. He was really interesting. It's interesting. I get a lot of a flak for liking, and then it was a lot to like. There's a lot to like, especially compared to other people. And I know he had his problems. I'm aware. We wrote about them extensively on our site. The issues around sexual harassment and racial issues at the factories. Again, it was a problem throughout siliconbal We also wrote about Uber. But no, I think he's just in love with himself and his fans, and he's got people slavishly licking him up and down all day. And I think rich people, the deleterious effects of wealth on your psyche in this case, and also the radicalization of online right wing conspiracy swamps has really gotten a hold of them. I don't know how he's going to get out.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, carop. Before we go any further into the book, you know, in the book you talk a lot about obviously the tech industry, the folks you've reported on talked to, but you also talk about your dad and his passing and you were very young, how that shaped you. You also talk about your conversations with Steve Jobs. A lot of this just kind of resonated with me and really struck me, just you know, the idea of facing mortality in general, how that both of those obviously not apples to apples, but how that shaped you as an individual and your professional life and maybe how you approach things and even report on things.
Speaker 7: Very much. I know this is a real selling point, but the book is about death and about life, you know, creation and destruction, which is what the tech industry is about, that things go, come and go, and my own life I have that resident with my dad dying at a young age, my wonderful father dying at a young age, and the impact had on me, which gave me an early sense of mortality that stuck with me, which meant I had no time to waste. I must get things done, I must change and grow and shift, because I didn't have that kind of time. And I think Steve Jobs had a similar resentiment in general and then in particular when he got sick. Most of the things he created that we think of him as famous world though it goes he had a long career, was in that last few years he lived, you know, the iPhone. Just a lot of stuff got created when he was when his mortality was weighing on him. He gave a great speech at Stanford about that. So I think we really did, we did spark on that issue of times a wasting. Let's get going.
Speaker 3: Did you know you spend a lot of time in the book talking about Steve Jobs, and he's not one of the characters that you write about him in a in a way that I like him, really liked him.
Speaker 7: I did like very clear in the he would think difficult guy. Difficult guy by the way, often only on product that I ever saw him be difficult, but he had he had his words. There's no question.
Speaker 3: What would you think about where we are today politically?
Speaker 7: Oh, you know, he was much he was much more liberal, but in the traditional sense. I think he always was trying to reach out. He spent a lot of time talking to Rupert Murdoch trying to get him to stop being so Rupert murdocky. You know, he reached He always was trying to find I wouldn't say he's a peaceful person, because that's clearly not the case, but I do think he was. He was a seeker. As you know, he was widely read. He one of the things I liked about him was read widely, and he had other experiences that had nothing to do with tech. And he had a a sense of design and a very big respect for privacy, that's for sure, you know. And he also could see around corners, like he talked about podcasting with me very first of all. He talked about privacy with me very early. Talked about the problems of social media being being a really toxic business model early on, and it wasn't in his self interest. I think he thought that. I think he would have hated much of some of what's going on some of it. He would have.
Speaker 1: Liked stories that didn't make the book were they're a lot lots.
Speaker 7: It's largely if everyone's asked me that I have a lot, and they as I'm on this book tour, I'm like, oh, remember that, or someone will write me, do you remember when I was like, yeah, I don't know. I don't know. I just you know, I feel like if I've forgotten them, they weren't important, right, or you know, I don't have a lot about Yahoo. I wrote a lot about Yaho's ups and downs over the years, and I just didn't think it mattered at this point, Like I put in the amount that I thought mattered certain companies. There was a company someone mentioned the other day and I wrote a lot about it, and I was like, oh, yeah, like that, Like I run thousands and thousands of stories and interviewing thousands of people, and so you know, I don't know, I just know it's gone.
Speaker 1: It's sorry, no, that's okay. But like we talked about Elon, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg's in the book, Sheryl Sandberg, Dave Goldberg, Bill Gates, readA Hoff, and everybody who's anyone in the tech industry over the last couple of decades and then some If you had one person that you could just sit down and just go everywhere and anywhere, alive or not, who would it be?
Speaker 7: It still be Steve. He was the most interesting interview I did. There's a lot of interesting ones I really enjoy. You know, it's deep pends it's not you Nadella. I find really interesting because he's had a very interesting life being an immigrant. He has family challenges as two of his kids have learning issues and quite severely. You know, he's a person I think. I'm trying to think if I always like talking to Barry Diller. He's just fantastic, and he's a summa change the right shifts. Yeah, not just that he's so smart. A lot of stuff he said, when I go back and look at it is spot on. I just did an interview with him about copyright and AI and he was the first of that, you know, understanding that. I just think he's funny. I just think he's smart. I think he thinks about a lot of things. I always enjoyed talking to him. I'm trying to think of who in tech, you know, I like talking to Sam Altman He's got a very quick mind, and he always did and it's really developed. I like anyone who develop I have to say someone living Mark Cuban, he's a gas. He's interested change.
Speaker 1: I'm a little obsessed with Yeah.
Speaker 7: Beyond that, he's a really thoughtful person and smart.
Speaker 9: He was.
Speaker 7: He did a whole thing on DEI on Twitter and I literally was like, godspeed, Mark, Like these people are just going to call you names, including Alamos. You's like you're a moron, You're a reader. He's very thoughtful and has has progressed.
Speaker 3: Kara, I do want to We only have a couple of minutes left and I wanted to get a few more questions in. And you didn't talk at all about this in the book, but politics in San Francisco. I know in the past you toyed with the idea of running for mayor of San Francisco. You were very serious about it at a certain point. Given what's going on in San Francisco now and your prominence, your love for the city, would you ever consider that again?
Speaker 7: No, I got to have two kids during COVID instead two more kids, So no, I don't have the time to do that. I have two Toddler's you know going on in San Francisco. Actually san Francisco solving the problem. Other cities are now suffering from what San Francisco initially. San Francisco is always first, good or bad, right, and so they're doing some innovative things. They're trying to change things. Most cities are suffering because of COVID and the fall off and commercial real estate and the changes in work, and San Francisco got to hit first. And I think it's look, guess what's happening in San Francisco right now? All the AI companies are there now, all the important ail done there. Oh yeah they are. Oh the guys who just kicked it in the teeth and then ran off, they're back. Because it's the best place on earth for innovation still. And so it's the most beautiful place. And we have our problems. We're not running away from it, but we also have the ben It is a magical place and it always has been, you know, through the Summer of Love to the you know, the gold Rush, to everything else. It's a physically beautiful place. It's always has ideas and I do believe in analog in some place I have to say in history. It will go down as one of the great important cities of humanity.
Speaker 1: All Right, we just have thirty seconds.
Speaker 7: I'm running for.
Speaker 1: Mayor now, no, I come on, we just want to headline. You know that. Hey thirty now, I'm sorry, No thirty seconds. How would you advise a Kara Swisher just beginning her career today because media has changed dramatically very quickly, and forgive me for not giving you more time.
Speaker 7: That's okay, be exactly who you were and are. That's what I would say. You're pretty good.
Speaker 1: Amen's sister, Amen, listen, good luck. We really enjoyed the read, and thank you so much for giving us such a big chunk of time. So appreciate it. Karra Swisher, everybody, thank you. Her new book is burn Book, a Tech Love Story. Got to say, there's so many great tidbits about being in the green room with individuals, being on stage with Mark Zuckerberg and others, and just getting into a lot of the topics that we you and I talk about a lot day to day.
Speaker 3: Also just interesting on the business side, hearing how the audiobook is outselling the print book.
Speaker 1: I love this podcast effect Walk the Dogs.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on applecar Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business Ad. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 7: Funny Ahead in.
Speaker 1: Our second hour of the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week, including building robots. Yeah, kind of easiest for me, but they're out there. I gotta say, what is this? Maybe be tough for building a software brain for robots? Not so easy. One company they're working to do just that. And it's CEO giving his first interview to our Ashley Vance, plus.
Speaker 3: The startup airline that's luring flyers away. Also the London trader turned founder of Natterjack Whiskey and going for the godshot of espresso at home?
Speaker 1: Did you even know what that is?
Speaker 3: So I'm guilty as charged with being like this article spoke to me because I have some of this equipment at home. I've never heard of the godshot.
Speaker 1: I didn't either, anyway, we were all a kind of googling. Anyway, you will hear more about it later on. All right, First up, this hour. We want to get to a story that's about the AI craze, but with a bit of a twist. Turns out, yeah, making robots smart well not so easy. Enter Physical Intelligence, giving its first public interview since founding the company, giving that interview to our Ashley Vance, Bloomberg Business Week Features writer.
Speaker 3: Ashley is also the author of Elon Musk, Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future and When the Heavens went on Sale, the Misfits and Geniuses racing to put space within reach. He's our go to for a peek into our world's future.
Speaker 10: Every science fiction world I think we've ever encountered usually has very smart computers and very smart androids and other robots walking around. But our world has been different. These large language models that have become so famous from open ai and Google and others, you know, they're stuck on our computers and our robots and factories and even in the home have lagged behind this new, more general purpose form of intelligence.
Speaker 1: All right, So then take us to Physical Intelligence, the company that you write about and the CEO that you got to talk to the first interview since these guys were founded Telsa, who they are and what they're up to, because they're trying to change this.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean it's it's it's a collection of robotics and AI experts. A bunch of them come from Google. Google's had this this robotics team for a long time. And then and then there's some professors and some entrepreneurs in this group. And the big problem here is that the AI that were used to these chatbots, they get fed with all of the billions and trillions of words on the Internet and books we've written, and so the quest is how do you feed robots enough data to train them on these these AI models? And and this group of researchers they just think this time has come where we can gather enough data in the right way to make a general purpose robotics brain. So not not software for one robot, but a type of operating system that you could apply to any machine and it would have this this base level of intelligence to perform tasks.
Speaker 3: How do you teach Ashley, a robot to tie a shoe, for example, to do a basic task? Yeah, this part's cool.
Speaker 10: So you know the way this has been done for the last like five or ten years is you buy a bunch of robotic arms, or you build them and you have them tie a shoe about a million or ten million times until that you tell it what it's doing a bad job and what it's doing a good job, and eventually this little robot handk ti shoe. What these guys are talking about is this new era where you do actually take the language AI models and infuse it into these physical models. And so now already today this is happening where you can tell one of these robots tie a shoe. And because of these language models, it probably and you know, all of our image and video models, it has a pretty good idea of what the concept of a shoe is, what the shoelaces are. There's probably a lot of videos on the Internet of people teaching kids to tie shoes, and so it sort of comes in with this knowledge. Same sort of thing. If you said, you know, pick the coke can off the table, it will know what a coke can is and be able to separate that object from other objects. So they're trying to piggyback on this base level of general intelligence and then build the mechanical parts into it.
Speaker 3: Actually, when this processing is happening in real time, is it happening separate from the cloud. That is, is the actual brain of something with physical intelligence, like is the is the vision for that actual brain to be physically inside the robot versus that actually that processing happening off site in the cloud, independent from you know, the physical thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, like to to a degree. All these models have to get trained in the cloud because they require tens of thousands of these these graphics chips to do the training. But we're seeing more and more even with like a language model. You know, you can ask chat GPT questions on your cell phone and have them answered. So the part where you've trained the model happens off in the cloud and these huge data centers. But but the robots will have this kind of local intelligence.
Speaker 1: Just like just like we do, you know, talking to chech GPT to create a poem or something. Is that easier than actually, you know, getting the next generation AI to teach someone to physically do something? And I guess what's the data sets on that? Are there less data sets on that to actually teach these physical capabilities?
Speaker 7: Absolutely?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't want to make it sound like this is a done deal.
Speaker 1: It's sort of I just want someone at home to do my laundry other than me. That's what I'm talking about, Ashley.
Speaker 10: We're we're got close, We're got clothes. I mean, it's funny because robotics, I think we've had these sort of like false hopes so many times where it seems like they're about to do all these incredible things and they never seem to do it. And the challenges here are real. I mean, this gathering of the data is still a problem. Physical Intelligence's plan is to most of the companies so far they've built their own robot and it's a single thing, and they train that single thing really well. Physical Intelligence wants to buy robots from everybody, smart machines from everybody, train this general purpose data set. So there's going to buy them, run their AI software through it, and gather this data. But then they also think we are because of the advances that have happened in AI the last four years, that we're at a new spot where a new era of robotics is possible. But you know, all of this is theoretical. They're not the only company trying to do this. It's a bit of a race now that has just begun this year, and you know, we'll see if somebody can actually solve this problem.
Speaker 3: Our go to for a peek into the future of this world. Ashley Advanceloomberg Business Week Features writer actually also the author of Elon Musk, Tesla, SpaceX and the Quest for a Fantastic Future And when the Heavens went on sale, the misfits and geniuses racing to put space within reach.
Speaker 1: All right, everybody, as we wait for robots to possibly possibly disrupt the airline industry, I mean, computers already doing a lot of the work when it comes to flying, to be fair, But there is one airline upstart that's already shaking things up. It is JSX, a Dallas based airline beloved by work travelers for offering convenience, such as a chartered plane at near business class prices.
Speaker 3: Instead of flying from packed hubs, it flies from sparse private hangars in exchange for the amenities of a big airport. Passengers get convenience in lieu of long TSA baggage screening lines, they get their bags swabbed for explosives, and they walk through a weapons detector.
Speaker 1: But JASX is only able to exist thanks to what some airline rivals say is an FAA loophole. The founder and CEO counters that they're just annoyed he's treading on their turf. To check it out, we caught up with Alex Wilcox. He's founder and CEO of JSX, along with Mary Schlangenstein. She is Bloomberg News US airlines reporter who recently wrote about the airline that's drawn a cult following.
Speaker 9: They put together two different types of certified air carriers and they were able to mix, you know, a public charter with what becomes a private charter with two different types of airlines and airline certifications, and basically it lets them fly in aircraft with more seats, but they don't have to have the normal TSA scanning, they don't have to have pilots that are younger than sixty five, They can have pilots with less flight experience, and so taking advantage of those rules is what's raised some objections to JSX and other carriers like it, but it's also allowed them to operate.
Speaker 1: Alex, come on in on this because regulators, you know, knew what you were doing. They signed off. What do you say to some of these these critics who talk about you maybe taking advantage of a loophole.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, I guess one person's loophole is another person's law, and it is just law. It's forty to forty five year old established law. It's law that even American Airlines does you know, it operates under.
Speaker 2: And they're they're the.
Speaker 8: Biggest complainer of the group here. American Airlines has a co chair with Contour, which is another Part one thirty five air carrier that operates exactly under the exact same rules, with the exact same pile experience requirements. They also sell tickets as in American Airlines, but you actually wind up flying on Contour or Envoy or sky West or japan Airlines or Goal in Brazil, which only has a two hundred fifty hour captain you know rating requirement. So this is the pot calling the kettle black. They just don't like us, and every argument they make against us is hypocritical when it comes to operations, and a lot of the people that are commenting about safety and security really are not qualified to do so. So we're very proud of our achievements, are near decade of flawless operations, and we see this purely as competitive competitive anxiety.
Speaker 1: Alex having said that your success. Sometimes success brings a lot more eye balls, including those of regulators. Are regulators coming out to you and saying, well, wait a minute, maybe we need to rethink this.
Speaker 8: No, I mean there's been because of the efforts of two Dallas based competitors and their trade unions. They've been begging the regulators to pay attention to us. They went through the DOT, they got turned away. They went to the FAA, eighty thousand of our customers came out in strong defense of us, turned them away. They went to the US Congress in connection with the current FAA Reauthorization Act, and they tried to get us outlawed under the reauthorization and politicians from both sides of the aisle rallied to our support.
Speaker 7: Again.
Speaker 8: Now they're trying to TSA. They're trying to do with sub Rosa, with the TSA, with all kinds of baseless threats about security and terrorism and very irresponsible things that frankly, as an industry, we've always agreed we would never compete on safety and security matters. And so Southwest and excuse me, Southwest and American airlines have crossed that line.
Speaker 7: And that is a.
Speaker 8: Dangerous line of because it actually makes the entire industry less safe because it makes people unwilling to talk about safety and security in an open way, which is the way we make the system better.
Speaker 9: Alex I wanted to ask you if you've heard anything from the FAA, if you've gotten any feedback from them in terms of the timing of their decision, and then also if you've heard anything from the TSA, which was expected to issue some proposed recommendations fairly soon.
Speaker 8: Thanks Mary. Now, the FAA has not communicated they're going to be taking any action. They've got to read through those seventy thousand comments first and obviously respond to the concerns rates and those things, and then if they're going to make a rule change, they're going to have to go through the regular administrative process to do so, so it'll be an NPRM, a noticeable posed rule making that actually addresses whatever rule they may or may not make. We believe that if they are are going to be new rules, they will actually be modeled upon how we operate today. We go well above and beyond many of the rules that do apply to us already. In some cases, we go above and beyond the rules that apply to the major airlines as well. With respect to the TSA, they will respond to real threats from real bad guys and not from retired airline executives who are taking potshots.
Speaker 3: That's Alex Wilcox, founder and CEO of JSX, and Mary Schlangenstein, Bloomberg News US Airlines reporter.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Bloomberg Business Week. Still to come a London trader turned whiskey entrepreneur.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was actually out on this day. You are you missed a lot.
Speaker 1: I know it's two different kinds of whiskey resampled.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, we'll make up for it. The founder of Natterjack Whiskey coming up next. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple car Play and then Broun Auto with a Bloomberg Business act or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Safe to say there was a fair amount of whiskey recently consumed during last weekend Saint Patrick's Day celebrations. Bloomberg News noting late last year that the global market for whiskeys is valued at approximately one hundred and forty million dollars.
Speaker 3: Carol You and Bloomberg Wall Street reporter Shanali Basik got an inside, a look and a few SIPs. It was Friday, after all. You caught up with Aiden Meghan, founder of natter Jack Whiskey, who stopped by the studio. You started by asking how a London trader got into the whiskey business.
Speaker 11: That's a super question, right, So back in kind of twenty sixteen, I wanted I.
Speaker 6: Was a great career trading. I loved it.
Speaker 11: I had an amazing team and I learned so much. But it's kind of abstract, right, So you're you're looking at a screen. You don't actually hold what you're creating. You're creating wealth or you know, and you're working really hard.
Speaker 6: For something you never actually hold it.
Speaker 11: And I was like, I wanted to go away, and I wanted to build something that I could hold, right, And that was just a very base level and I was I figured, Gie.
Speaker 1: But why whiskey you could hold pair of shoes? You could hold absolutely well?
Speaker 6: Do you know? Interestingly?
Speaker 11: Right, my granddad owned bars Jacklashing years ago, right, and I went to see him when I was working. I always worked in restaurants, and that was always my favorite job. Waiting tables was amazing. Being a bartender amazing. And I said to him, and I'm thinking about opening a bar, and he was in his eighties. He's like, don't open a bar. Sell the beer to the bar, and I was like, okay. So when I was trading, I was like, okay, Well my background was hospitality before trading, so what would I do. So I've looked at all the different like maybe a winery would have been amazing, but I mean, I I'm Irish. Who's going to be like, like, what do I know about running a winery?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 11: So figured, well, exactly, But I figured Irish whiskey had missed me. I had a favorite bourbon, but he didn't have a favorite Irish whiskey. So it's like, if it missed me, maybe it's missed a load of people. So I went off on this kind of mad year and a half journey learning how to make whiskey.
Speaker 1: And and you actually learned how to make it?
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, yeah, I went and I went and worked in Breckenridge in Colorado with Jordan Vya, who's still our master distiller because he's much better than me.
Speaker 6: So but I went and learned.
Speaker 11: I stayed with him for a month working double shifts at the distillery and kind of built a relationship there, and then built a team and came up with a brand and we launched in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: How hard of a learning curve was it for you?
Speaker 6: It's interesting, it was. The terminology was the hardest.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So when you when you go.
Speaker 11: And you go into a distillery, people talk about different things. And the one thing I could never work out was when people said they pitch the yeast right.
Speaker 6: I couldn't work it out. It's is it a temperature thing?
Speaker 11: Is it the is it the it means throw the east Okay, that's it.
Speaker 6: Okays American term you pitch the east right.
Speaker 1: It sounds easy, but it's not.
Speaker 11: It actually is really easy. You just need to know the amount. So there's a huge amount of science behind it. But I learned the kind of the art of it as well, and the art of coming up with the flavor profiles and really working on what flavor profiles I wanted to create.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go there, because, like you, I like bourbon versus whiskey. But so tell me, like, how did you figure out where you wanted to go in terms of the taste profile.
Speaker 11: So Jordan and I would sit down with samples of what we were going to be able to blend with and we would he you know, he, we just talk about it. It's very olfactory, right, So it's what what is it you want more of? Do you want more mid palate sweetness? Do you want more length? And all of these things, And we we worked the blend. I'd fly over with the samples because I was in Ireland at the time it fly over. I'd meet Jordan largely in New York and we'd work on it that way, and eventually we come up with what we what we what we wanted as flavor profile from the base spirit. Jordan's genius was He's like, we need to put this into virgin American oak and we need to really ramp up the jar. So what we did was with Natterjack blend one which will taste in a second is we put it into expurban barrels for three and a half years, which basically barrel is it it is That's.
Speaker 6: Where the color and the flavor comes from.
Speaker 11: Right Well, now, the base spirit adds a huge amount of depth and complexity as well, but for me, it's it's a lot about the wood. And so we put it for a year into Virgin Oak chur number four, which we sourced from from segu Moreau and NAPA, and we actually took like this is back in twenty nineteen and Fay and I took our son Gussie to segra Moreau and there's we have pictures of him as a one year old with these all these flames around the place. Just amazing scenes and the smells, the smells of coop bridges and distilleries are just amazing.
Speaker 12: So you launched in twenty nineteen, twenty twenty global pandemic.
Speaker 6: Right, what was that?
Speaker 11: Like, it's a misery, right, So twenty nineteen was amazing. By the end of it, we were by the end of our first year, which was only kind of ten months of trading, we were in six US markets and four global markets, right, and just the world was incredible. And I went on this ten day, five market trip in the States and it came back from it. I did Washington, Chicago, New Hampshire, Florida, and New York.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 11: I came back and I was like, hey, we need to go to the States, Like that's this is where this is going to live and die. The entrepreneurial spirit of tell me more about your brand exists here very viscerally in a way. I didn't find it in Ireland.
Speaker 6: So I was like, let's go. And this is the end of twenty nineteen. We're like, let's go.
Speaker 1: We're going to sample a little bit before we do, and I'm going to tweet it out and maybe I can show it for those folks. There's a frog on your label. It's really kind of a cool looking frog. It's a spirited toad.
Speaker 6: Actually right it is.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's the only tone indigenous to Ireland. But it's a very Irish toad. It can't hop, it walks, it can't swim at rounds. It does things its own way to survive, much like ourselves.
Speaker 6: But interesting.
Speaker 11: It has a gestation period from toadlet which is a baby toad to fully grown total of three years. Irish whiskey takes three years to become whiskey from new make it has so you thought about this, Oh absolutely, it has amazing call that can we heard two kilometers away like some of the best whiskey drinkers, and it's not turned like all the best whiskey drinkers.
Speaker 1: As you said, you've really thought about the brand and the packaging. I'm going to open it up and pour some were there's a thing tell us about, though, tough time because you guys were around during COVID.
Speaker 6: Yes, we all actually before we do that.
Speaker 1: What are we trying?
Speaker 11: Oh, you're trying to get matter Jack Blend number one, which is our kind of our flagship product. It is triple distilled, finished for a year in Virgin oak, so three and a half years experbon, one year Virgin Oak. And it's it's eighty proof and is the smoothest, easiest drink and whiskey you're ever going to come across. As a friend of mine said, it's great drink.
Speaker 6: And whiskey eighty proof.
Speaker 1: Man, we only have five minutes to go, girl, you okay, so talk to us about COVID where you probably could have used a lot of this, because that's a tough time exactly. So it's also pretty amazing lockdown. This smells like a lot of bourbon yet, but I kind of almost sweeter.
Speaker 11: There's a little bit of sweetness on the on the nose. I completely agree. Yeah, and it goes incredibly into Manhattan.
Speaker 1: So if you're drinking, I was thinking whiskey sour, which my dad used to make a lot growing up.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So so yeah, twenty twenty right, things shut down and are like I give an example, our biggest client in Ireland was the airport. Flights are gone right, So immediately your business in Ireland's gone right. Business in the US we to pivot from the on prem to the off prem. That involved changing, you know, or packaging that sort of thing. And so what happens is over the time period of the first few months of COVID, you're not having any revenue, your your fixed costs remained the same.
Speaker 6: We still let staff and.
Speaker 1: There's nothing coming in.
Speaker 6: There's nothing coming in.
Speaker 11: And so we tried our best to stay afloat. And then obviously after a while, investors don't want to hear that COVID is the problem, like you know that a problem was like Superna, Ricar or Diagio. Their numbers were quite good during COVID because as far as I could see it, they owned every point on the shelf from a ten dollar bottle to an eighty dollars bottle. We only had one SKU, which is what we're drinking right now, one product?
Speaker 6: How much is this cost? That is in New York thirty eight dollars?
Speaker 12: Okay, So how do you define that? Who is buying it? Or do you find it at a bar?
Speaker 6: Do you find it fun at bars?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So we priced it very much for the cocktail list in bars because that's where people people will see it on the menu, and that's a really important part of the sales strategy.
Speaker 1: I would say, for an eighty proof, it's really nice.
Speaker 12: It doesn't go down hard, No, it's very it's it's not sweet, but it's kind of a softer exactly.
Speaker 11: A triple distillation of Iris whisky does make it smooth, but then the virgin oak really rounds off those edges.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna take the glasses back. You're going to tell us about the second bottle and I'll pour it.
Speaker 11: And so this this is a this is our our cast strength, right, and the idea behind this is going to be true cast strength lessing around right. So it's it's what comes out of the barrel. It goes through a sieve and it goes into the bottle. That's it. This is truly what's in the barrel. So I get a phone call in December and it's from them, Jim Murray of the Whiskey Bible, and he got and I didn't recognize the number, and I answered the phone and he said, Hi, it's Jim Murray and I was like, yeah, of course it is.
Speaker 6: Why would Jim Murray be calling me?
Speaker 11: Who is Jim Murry has the Whiskey Bible. He's very famous in the in the industry, so cool reviewing. And I was like, this is one of my mates. Like, there's no way Jim Murray's calling me. So he's like, no, it's it is Jim Murray.
Speaker 6: And I was like, somebody get me. Jim Murray's normal.
Speaker 1: This is the Arris Whiskey of the Year for twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: Twenty twenty four.
Speaker 11: Ye beat out, It beat out all of our friends. Middleton, thirty year old.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're a little bit of a connoss war okay, more than me. You're gonna laugh at me, you like the other one.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 12: But in college when I didn't want to go out, I used to tell people I'm hanging out with my boyfriends Jack and Jim.
Speaker 1: Did you really high shirted? We're newspeople. We like to write and Bloomberg. There's a definite difference.
Speaker 6: Though, huge.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and the mouth feel is different. There's loads of butterscotch on this, Yeah, And we were just were just amazed. So eventually I worked out that it was Jimmery on the phone. He said, you've won Irish Whisky of the Year. It's the best Irish whiskey I've tasted in years and years. What you've done is incredible, And I was like, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so more inclined for people to drink it as is versus the other one.
Speaker 6: So actually that one I put over a big cube of ice.
Speaker 11: I'll drink it over an hour and it as the as it dilutes, it tells the story all of its own.
Speaker 6: So I think it's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's really lovely. I am not a whiskey drinker, but this is really lovely. How do you distinguish yourself, as we talked about, like some of the giants man they have you know, they can go with a bunch of different varieties. How do you kind of get yourself noticed? So the market that has a lot of choices.
Speaker 11: So you've got to do something different, right, if that whiskey if we called it Whiskey eight and Megan's Whiskey. The three of us wouldn't be sitting here today, right, I'd probably be back in a different job. So natter Jack stood out the toads.
Speaker 1: Doudsly as simple as the name that.
Speaker 11: The whiskey has to be good. I'll tell you back when we were seeing people at the start, loads of people told us, don't worry about what's in the bottle, it's only the brand. But that's actually not true, because people really come.
Speaker 6: The first sale. You'll get second sale.
Speaker 1: It's got to be cool, buye because the battle looks cool, and then you'll take it home and say never get exactly.
Speaker 12: I'm going to ask the most Wall Street question ever, the investment banking reporter for years, of course, is going to ask you this, what are your bigger ambitions? Is the idea here to get rolled up by the likes of a Diagio one day?
Speaker 11: Maybe one day and on our investors will want to return, right but realistically so we're in fourteen global markets in sixteen US markets now. Right from the back of being out of money at the end of twenty twenty two, it's been an amazing transformation. We have an incredible board of investors who support us. So honestly, my passion and drive for this is to create a global brand. And what I sell it in the morning, maybe but maybe not. It just depends, right, Like you look at Tito's, they haven't sold, right, So it just depends on what happens at a certain time. But look, I was a trader. Everything has a price, right, that's true. Well said, if someone comes in with the big bid, you hit the bid. That's it, right. So so but it's been it's been amazing, and the growth is going incredibly And just before I walked in we got national We got national order from one of the big chains in the country. So Patty Stay Weekend is looking good already.
Speaker 1: So that's a big deal. Huge Is there more choices to come? Like do you build this out?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So I'll tell you there's it real quickly, very quickly. We've got something called Natterjack the mistake because I left one hundred barrels in barrel for a year two long. I completely screwed up. It says it on the back, and the label's a mistake and.
Speaker 6: We're launching it. In April, who launched a Narris whiskey in April. It's a mistake. The whole thing's a mistake.
Speaker 3: That was Aiden Meghan, a founder of Natterjack Irish Whiskey, with Carol and a Bloomberg Wall Street reporter, Snelly Bassett.
Speaker 1: It was really fun. We'll have to have them come back.
Speaker 3: I'm booking another. I'm booking another alcohol guests. Don't worry, Okay, I just sack an email.
Speaker 1: Or it's still ad on Bloomberg Business Week. Making the perfect espresso at home.
Speaker 3: Finally, something I know about.
Speaker 1: Getting an espresso. It sounds like the espresto side I didn't realize for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a long story. We'll get into it with Chris Rows. There also something I don't know much about, stepping out of Rolex's long shadow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is an interesting story. I know Chris will know a lot about that. Also, getting rid of pesky desmite. It's curtains for you, Rocky, It's curtains.
Speaker 3: That's all ahead on Bloomberg Pursuits. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Easter on applecar Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 1: All right, everyone, it's time for Bloomberg Pursuits and for all of you home barristas. We've got how to get the godshot of expresso, which is going to be one of the first things. We're going to ask Chris Rouser what the heck is that? But we'll get to that in a.
Speaker 3: Moment, because there's more to get to. Also, the watch that's along been relegated to a spot in Rolex's shadow. It's having though it's moment in time.
Speaker 1: It's shining. So too is the suite of the Moment, which was previously unattainable but can now be delivered to your front door for like a million dollars. But we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have a lot more. Let's get to it with the editor of Pursuits, Chris Rouser. He's here in our studio. Chris so excited about talking espresso here.
Speaker 13: I know, I know you're excited about it. I'm excited to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Finally, something in Bloomberg Pursuit that like I can say, yeah, excuse to me. So a few years ago, the height of the pandemic, for the holidays of twenty twenty, my whole family got together behind my back and they bought me a full prosumer set up for espresso, so the grinder and of course the espresso machine. And since then I've been trying to get the god shot.
Speaker 13: Your life has been ruined.
Speaker 3: It's get there?
Speaker 1: Did you get there?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not as as I'm not as focused on that as some of the other folks are. Like I like the process and I just love the taste of what we can do home.
Speaker 1: First of all, can you do a little bit of a like definition here? A prosumer and also godshot?
Speaker 13: Yes, So a prosumer espresso machine is one is one that's like basically like a professional one that you would see in a cafe but at your house, a pro consumer kind of professional consumer.
Speaker 1: Yeaht it.
Speaker 13: And then the god shot is this mythical shot of espresso that people tend to only have once in their life. A lot of the people we talked to in our story can remember where they were and they remember the coffee beans that were ground for it, and they have spent the rest of their life searching to replicate the godshot. And so I guess Tim, you're on that mission.
Speaker 3: I am how long have you been on that mission? Since twenty twenty, Since December twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great though, I mean we make What's fun about it is we make we can make good coffee at home, and I love making coffee for other people too. So I have the Bizara besy ten and a Bizara grinder as well. And you know you mentioned in the piece whole Late Love, it's basically where you a distributor. Yeah, the distributor where you go for all this stuff. They're in New York State, and you can also call them with questions because like everybody has questions about this stuff.
Speaker 13: They're like the butterball turkey people.
Speaker 3: They're like full turkey people.
Speaker 13: So this so it's funny you've got that in twenty twenty because this really boomed during the pandemic. Fancy espresso machines are not new. This has been a trend for a long time among certain kind of people who have the kind of money and kind of time to devote to it. But since twenty nineteen, the amount of money spent on pro sumer models, which are the really high end models, has tripled.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 13: People have really really gotten into this since the pandemic, including our writer whose friend gave him a beat up old machine like you, Tim, His friend was like, I think you would beat into this. I know you love cappuccino. You got some extra time, And since then the writer has just been on this quest to make not even a godshot, like an okay shot.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing about this is that there's so many variables that make it difficult to make a really good shot. So you don't just have the beans, you know. That's also that's really important. The grind is so important, so you have to have the exact right type of grind. It can't be too fine, it can't be too coarse. And then you also have to have the right tamping pressure. You have to make sure the grounds are level. In the Tampa, they need.
Speaker 1: A cup of coffee to make it.
Speaker 3: It is kind of a joke around the house, like yeah, and then a scale to make sure you have the right right amount of beans, and then also that you're pulling it for the right amount of time. Yes, all of those things, you guys, want to come up for a guy.
Speaker 13: I didn't really know this because I go to a coffee shop almost every morning and I get a cappuccino and I see them do all of this really fast. So I didn't realize that the reason they're able to do it so fast is because they've done it thousands of times and they have it practiced. But in your own home, even the tamping, like you said, if you get it uneven, if you tamp that like.
Speaker 1: Puck, this is this is when they pound it together.
Speaker 13: Yeah, when they put it in the I don't even Tim, what's the words.
Speaker 3: That's called a porta filter.
Speaker 13: Filter, and then they tamp it down to get it flat. If you don't tamp it down, the water can come through and create channels through the through the espresso kind of going around it, and then it'll be watery. So our writer Rob can't get the tamping right. But Tim, I think you sounds like you.
Speaker 3: Have no not every time. But I'm also not. I won't throw away a shot. It's rare that I'll throw away a shot like it'll get drunk and it's okay if it's not perfect, it is, Yeah, it still tastes good there are a lot of variables, but it's still even if it's not perfect, it's still good. It's still okay. Yeah, at least for my pack.
Speaker 1: I feel so low rent with mine espresso.
Speaker 7: I'm just gonna say it right now. Don't look away from me.
Speaker 3: No, you can come over. You can come over any up until then, come over for coffee anytime.
Speaker 1: Guys, what are these things cost? Like, give us an idea and like and you said like sales were kind of like growing a lot or have grown a lot.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So the if you want to start like a starting model an Evo Pro, it's like four hundred and fifty dollars, and then they get up into the two thousand and three thousand and four thousand dollars level. So the one that we shot that our writer has is Lilt Bianca, which is three thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Just reminder my whole family to get me the grind or a machine. Hey. Since then, two sets of friends have come over and gotten really into espresso, and like now they have their own machinery. You were so into espresso, Yeah, I believe my dad years ago, he got a machine years ago and then during the and I was just obsessed with it.
Speaker 13: One of the people we talked to, a distinguished chopware engineer at Google, which is a real title, bought a machine for those who are distinguished. He went on an eighteen month road trip because it was the pandemic and he could work from anywhere, and he took his three thousand dollars espresso machine around with him in like a gun case. That was the whole time, a huge expresssh That's how devoted people are.
Speaker 6: That is sorry.
Speaker 3: I've moved with it once and then I had to take it to get to get reconditioned once and I'm never picking that thing up again.
Speaker 1: All right, Should we talk about watches? Can we talk about watches? Because I feel like the poor sister child to the.
Speaker 13: Rolicks, so we Andy Hoffman are Swiss watch industry reporter engineer has a great story. The watch brand Tutor is a sister brand into a Rolex. They operate on the same campus and until recently they were kind of made of the same stuff. And Andy got the first ever ever interview with the managing director of this company. He's not even usually publicly identified, but they've really been trying to step out from the shadow of Rolex, which is the most famous watch company in the world, and they've done an incredible job. Their five year sales growth has been the fastest in the industry, among the fastest. They've done a ton of marketing, They've got really cool celebrity partnerships. And it went from this brand where they look kind of like Rolex as the watches a little less now. But so I always thought they were cool. But for example, my husband would say, why would you get that watch? People are just gonna assume it's a Rolex, and then see it's not a Rolex, and see they realize you didn't spend the amount of money on it that you would have spent on a Rolex. They started almost half the price, and now Tutor has turned that sort of affordability and funky difference from Rolex into something really appealing on its own, and it's one of the hottest watch brands.
Speaker 3: Do they still kind of look like Lexes?
Speaker 6: They do?
Speaker 13: They do. I mean there's not a huge variety of the watches. They have got these black Bay watches which have a bezel. They look like a Tutor sub mariner, I mean a Rolex sub mariner. But now I feel like you can tell the difference when you look between the two.
Speaker 3: And you said about half the price, So what is that?
Speaker 13: Well, so they start, we probably get a Tutor. They started around eighteen hundred Swiss francs. Most people are buying models of Tutor that are about four thousand and five thousand US dollars and a Rolex model starts at like nine or ten, and then they go way up and Tutor watches don't really go.
Speaker 1: There's a cute little tidbit too in the story. I'm not going to give it away about Rolex's logo versus a Tutor logo, but what.
Speaker 13: Yeah, which I didn't even know, and I've covered watches for ten years, I never really thought about it. Logo is a crown, probably the most famous watch logo there is, and the Tutor logo is a shield. And it's because the shield defends the crown, and by operating in the lower price space, Tutor makes it so that Rolex doesn't have to make watches in those space and can pursue the high high end.
Speaker 1: None feel like I'm watching something else BBC or something.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to turn out there. You could buy a Tutor, or you could buy an Espresso machine and grinder that absolutely true.
Speaker 1: Or a piece of melon or a single piece of fruit, can you tell us.
Speaker 7: A great story?
Speaker 1: Tell us about this melon that can be really expensive.
Speaker 13: You may know about Japanese fruit. There's a certain kinds of very special Japanese fruit that take a lot of time to grow. They're very specially remember the square water melons that were like very big a long time ago. Used to be very difficult or impossible to get that fruit in the United States. And just recently the Farmer's Trade Group in Japan started actually setting up companies that will distribute the fruit here in the United States because fruit consumption of this these specialized fruits is going down in Japan and the trying to grow the market and also fewer people are getting into farming, and so these melons which can be one hundred and twenty dollars.
Speaker 3: For a single melllon.
Speaker 13: Okay, that's funny, which they are grown in this Basically these fruit are so special because they're grown in an especially careful way and they're very concentrated in flavor and beauty.
Speaker 3: To be honest, maybe they're massaged sometimes too. They or wear a little hat.
Speaker 13: When we received a melon to shoot for this story. It arrived on a pillow.
Speaker 3: Did you eat it?
Speaker 13: Someone ate?
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 13: So like the melons, for example, are grown, there's just like one little melon tree, one fruit per tree.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 13: They don't let it grow, more like they concentrate all the energy into this one fruit. And strawberries are a big thing that are are being imported now. Also some citrus too, but the strawberries can be very expensive for a pound, like eighty nine dollars a pound.
Speaker 1: Your daughters had something.
Speaker 13: Well, So this trend of Japanese who come to the United States didn't actually start with importing. There is a vertical farm in New Jersey where a Japanese farmer came to the United States and built this vertical farm. And they now sell the or strawberries through Whole Foods. They're like fifteen dollars for what you would normally you know, pay six taste differently, yes, they if you get them from Whole Foods. They come in these like little individual buckets, I guess in the container and they're very beautiful. Some are white, some are bright red, and they taste extremely delicious.
Speaker 1: Curtains for dust mites talk about this busy plus streamer.
Speaker 13: So steamers. You may use a steamer. You may have a steamer to use on your clothes oftentimes when you're traveling. It's great if they have it in a hotel, just get rid of the wrinkles really fast. There's a new steamer that you can get for your house, but like also like a pro sumer model by the Swiss housers company Lara Star, and it not only will steamer clothes at with like a three hundred and two degrees steam at sixty five miles an hour. Think about that if it also kills dust mites, so you can just like spray it over your pillows and your mattresses and you know you're sleeping with a lot of dust mites and other gross tests. Steam just kills it.
Speaker 3: Did not know we had so many dust.
Speaker 1: Mites in our home, like an allergy test, and it's like like I have no allergies except for dust mites because they're everywhere.
Speaker 3: Well, you got to get one of these, uh steamers, Carol.
Speaker 13: You know how your pillow gets heavier over the years, it's mites. Really, Yeah, that's why you gotta change around or use this steamer.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody's gonna go home your pillow. Chris, thank you so much, really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: That's the editor of Bloomberg Pursuits, Chris Rodser. Check out more from Pursuits in the entire Businesswek team by heading to Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Podcast, Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcast. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg Jermale