Speaker 1: And he switched to high hat deep head, stay nigh.
Speaker 2: Deep, just shutter.
Speaker 1: Feel and it's come.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: His first big league swing is gonna be a gland slam, a home run swing. Good time t Walk two do Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to The Call Up, your go to podcast and the future stars of Major with Baseball. You got arm lighton Elijah Evans. I am back in the United States, which means we are giving you four episodes this week, all Top one hundred related. We got newcomers today, but we're actually gonna talk about a newcomer to the big leagues and Brandon Montgomery off the top with the White Sox. But we're gonna hit on part one of two of the newcomers on this top one of joist because there's like twenty five of them, so we're gonna hit on twelve today. A top one hundred content all week long. Elijah, I'm really excited about it. We might it'll probably bleed into next week as well, Like why not. This is a mammoth of an update. We got as many newcomers as many graduations, big time movers, really fun list, a lot of twenty twenty five draftees, a lot of guys that have just kind of emerged, and it becomes a really fun conversation with many of these players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you, to your credit, I'll expose you on this a little bit. Like you said, this was like a tough Top one hundred for you because it is a really weird in between time.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of grind.
Speaker 3: I mean, there was twenty twenty graduations, twenty five newcomers. We're gonna get into the first half of those today, a lot of shuffling order for you. There was a ton of risers. You and Jack are gonna do biggest risers. There was some crazy risers. Our biggest riser in Top one hundred history went up ninety one spots and Ethan Salas. So like, there was a ton of movement and a lot of moving parts of this Top one hundred, which makes it such a fun one to talk about it. And that's why we're gonna have five episodes basically dedicated to your Top one hundred list, because this was just such an interesting list and a tough one to put together across the board for you, I think, right, I mean, it was an interesting one.
Speaker 2: It was funny because I think we had more like fifty future value guys than like ever like fifty plus is too many. We had like less fifty fives and less sixties, which meant like the top end was smaller, And then you had a really broad like seventy players that could be intertwined in any which way because they're further off, have just emerged, or trying to validate one guy's breakout more than the other, or a guy struggling but was really good the year before versus a guy that's breaking out. So many fun conversations that we're gonna have throughout the week, but we're gonna start with a guy that was already on the list and now is hopefully set to graduate if he sticks up there in the big League's number seventy for US Braydon Montgomery, switch hitting outfielder for the White Sox a little bit of a surprise to me. Not like that it was super far away. I just think that it was like, right now, you would know better than I where do you stand on this? Obviously performing really well, there's some underlying stuff we'll talk about, and it's just a larger conversation of it. All tools are amazing, super high upside makeup. We just talked about like people, people are so so high on the way he goes about his business, and I think that's a big reason why we see him up there. And also the White Sox are on a spot where, hey, we want to compete right now and we can ride a hot hand here of a power hitting switch hitter, uh, that could play a solid corner. Were you a little bit surprised by the timing of this? Were you expecting it maybe closer to the break? After the break?
Speaker 3: What you know?
Speaker 2: What was your estimation of Braid Montgomery's call up.
Speaker 3: I think my estimation before the moona Taka Morricami injury, and before Bradon Montgomery's last week was probably like July, that was my initial estimation. I think earlier this season I definitely would have told you, like somewhere All Star break ish would have been my guest, because the intention was always to have him up this year.
Speaker 4: They always knew.
Speaker 3: The White Sox pretty much indicated this spring that like he was going to be part of the big league team this season. I did think it'd be a little later. With that said, you lose your power bat in MORECAMMI your top you know, power juice and Braida Montgomery. To his credit, he's on a ten game hit streak right now, hitting four seventy four in his past ten games, played with more walks than strikeouts, which is a big emphasis for him. So you've seen him in the past two weeks in Charlotte. Cut the walker, cut the strikeout right down. He's getting on base at an incredibly high clip. The White Sox lineup is actually still holding on without more COMI but I think the organization looks at it as like a we're still holding on, but we don't have more comedy for another month. Kyle Teal's rehab is getting delayed. If we can get a guy who's really hot right now to kind of keep this lineup progressing and staying steady for the rest of June, then you get more comedy and Kyle tealback.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Like, I mean, I know it's a little homer Ish of me, but like this lineup is up there with a lot of lineups in the American League, especially when you get more comedy and tealback like he had Brandontcumber to the fold. I think the other factor is, like they've been rotating right fielders all season. Sam Antonaci settled into left field. Borderline All Star Tristan Peters is in centerfield, which is the craziest thing of crazy, but right field has been this kind of hole where it's you've had Austin Hayes who's injured, You've had Everson Pereira who's rehabbing right now. Rikudashida comes up and is a fun story, but ultimately, like Radon Montgomery is the right fielder or the future in Chicago. So right now, if that's your hole in your lineup and you're trying to get some power to replace more commedi's absence, I see why with a crazy hot past two weeks, they just decided to pull trigger on this move.
Speaker 2: What's fascinating in the way you lay it out to is like, this is a move that I think really implies the urgency of the White Sox here, which, OK, are they gonna go all and we talked about in the Just Baseball Show, like are they gonna go all in and be buyers to the deadline? Know they may buy and sell, be strategic, but there's urgency for this team to compete and stay afloat. Hey, you don't always have to, you know, mortgage prospects in the future to say, hey, we want to win right now. I think it can also be evident in the way that you are going about your business with your young players here. But I think there's a real scenario if you had truth serum to the White Sox front office that Montgomery could end up back in Triple A. Like. I don't think that they are, you know, fully banking on him getting up there and playing the rest of the year. That's at least my guest, because there is some swing and miss there. I think they are doing this with the understanding that it could go really well, he could get blown up a little bit, and either way it doesn't change how we look at him long term, which is a guy that I, as I've talked about him here, I think is a slower burn. It's gonna take some time. You look at like the contact rates this year, sixty six percent contact rate basically right at the like, right at the borderline of where you could be at the major league level to be a qualified like big league hitter. I think there's not many qualified hitters are gonna below sixty five percent. That said, in the span that he's been performing in you mentioned like in the last couple weeks his chase rate is down to like seventeen percent. So if he can lean into the three true outcome sid which we've talked about with him, like that is that next step. And he's demolishing fastballs. So if he's dialed in right now crushing heaters as he sees him not chasing breaking balls, they can ride a hot hand here for a few weeks. If he struggles, you assess and you figure it out. But again, I don't think it changes the long term outcome. I think a lot of times you tread a little bit lightly because you bring a guy up when you want him to stick and stand, and I know they want him to. But as all these other guys that you mentioned come back, and if Montgomery struggle one, don't you think there's a chance he just gets optioned back to Triple A. And I don't think it's like anything change. He gets an idea of what he needs to work on and tries to play his way back in the end of the year.
Speaker 4: I think it's possible.
Speaker 3: I also think the White Sox when they when they call up names and did guys with name value, they like to just let it ride I think that's kind of how it was gonna go with no Schultz. Obviously he's injured now, but like they were gonna let Schultz keep going this season regardless of if he struggles. I kind of think it's gonna be similar with Montgomery. The interesting wrinkle from a positional standpoint is he's playing a lot of center field so in Triple A in the past couple weeks especially, So I do think a slight part of the calculation here for the positional aspect is against left handed pitching. Does Montgomery play center in replace of Tristan Peters, Because Christan Pieters has been awesome, but he still does have pretty heavy splits, So I wouldn't be surprised to see Montgomery become your center fielder against let tended starters. Actually, even as good as Peters has been, I think you could consider the possibility of Peter's being the strong side platoon center fielder, having Braden be your your you know, your your weak side platoon center fielder, your strong side right fielder, and then right field you have guys like ever Sin prayro On a bunch of other guys who can hit lefties.
Speaker 4: As a right fielder.
Speaker 3: So that's an interesting drinkle where I think Brayden getting a couple of days a week potentially at center field makes the equation even more palatable to keep him on the roster even if he goes through some ebs and flows. I still think he's a right fielder long term. I do from watching him, you know, a lot, in the past two years. But they still have played him a lot in center all season and seem like they feel like he can be at least a part time center fielder at the highest level.
Speaker 2: What's really exciting here and to highlight some positives and how he can maybe stick and fill that role, is three eighty against fastballs this year with a twelve oh seven OPS. The challenge though, is chase rate balloons against spin. He has crushed mistakes, so it's eight thirty eight ohps. It's good enough. Even though the contact rate crator is a little bit against spin. It's good enough. He can be competitive. We're gonna like the Brandon Marsh thing this year. Marsh has been one of the best fastball hitters in Major League Baseball and he is just not sucked against spin. And Brandon Marsh has been really, really good this year. So if he can be really, really good and Hold is just just dominant against fastballs and instead of getting picked apart by secondaries, hold his own, it's gonna be a good spot average a vlosity of ninety four point five miles per hour. That'll put him if he can maintain that, among the tops in Major League Baseball. A lot to be excited about here, and a guy that could absolutely be a jolt for the White Sox. I am a little bit concerned about the whiff and chase on secondaries, but this is really exciting, and I think a guy that could absolutely ride the hot hand and just continue to be, you know, a productive piece at the highest level.
Speaker 3: It's one of the more lopsided lineups in terms of your your true power three outcome. Guys like Coulson Montgomery's becoming like to talk about Acami, but then you've got the total flip side in your Sam Antonaci and your Miguel Varguez who just work the.
Speaker 4: Crap out of the bats.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty interesting way to watch baseball because you watch the White Sox, you just got like this total you know, opposite spectrum hitters. But at least it's some of both, right, Like you can't have one of you can't have everything being the same. So it is a funny lineup, but it's kind of how it is, like you got total opposite hitters in terms of style.
Speaker 2: I like the balance. I mean something that we're seeing the Rays even do a little bit of as well. They still have their EV guys, but they also have their contact and speed guys, and I think it's a good way to approach things. And at the end of the day, though, like for the White Sox to continue on this trajectory. And I don't think he's a make or break guy for them obviously, but he's a big piece of it. Brandon Montgomery having success at the big league level really catapults this team into I think, just being able to get very, very excited about what it can look liket next year too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Let's get into our newcomers. We got twelve guys. We're starting at the back of the top one hundred. We're working our way down. We'll have a whole second part of this too, because there's so many names, like you mentioned earlier, twenty five newcomers. We started at number ninety seven with sever King of the Washington Nationals organization. Sever King, we've talked about on the heat sheet. I think two or three times are us. Because last year was rough. This year has been awesome. He got to triple A recently slowed down a little bit in Triple A marginally, but he destroyed double A to start the season. Now he's in trips knocking on the door of the big leagues if he gets, you know, going a little bit more at the triple A.
Speaker 2: Love. He's just in a different hitter this year. I think, just a little bit more free in the box. I mean from some of the things that I was hearing about him and reading too, I think Sever was really selling out to try to pull the ball in the air more last year, and with that came more with and now I do think sever needs to find a happy medium here and get the ball back in the year post side a little bit more. But he's gone back to just let me go be an athlete in the box and hit the ball hard and compete and the rest will work itself out. And that's exactly what's happening. Because of the bat speed that he has, which is just comfortably plus and up from last year. Last year's bat speed was already above average, like seventy three miles per hour. He's at seventy four miles per hour this year. With that kind of bat speed, you can inside out balls and split the opposite field, gapp or leave the yard the other way, and that's what he's done. But you imagine how much power could be in there if you can just airpole a little bit more, just getting be able to get the barrel out there a little bit further, contact one a little bit further out more consistently. That's a nitpick for a guy that is just better across the board this year. Contact rates are better, hard hit rate is up ten percent, the chase rate, which is a big thing for me, is down seven percent. He was just hyper aggressive last year, so to improve that is great. He is still hitting the ball in the air a little bit more consistently. And then yeah, you look at the production against breaking balls, that is the biggest thing for me. Last year he had a five seventy six ops against breaking balls. This year it's nine to seventy three. Just to see the improvements across the board for Zever King are so so exciting, and I think you're still trying to figure out the bat, Eric seving the glove. He has all of the tools and the ingredients to stick it short, but when he transferred awake force, it was a little bit of center. Second, like he's played all over the map. With more reps at shortstop, can he develop into a solid defender there? I absolutely think he has the tools too, but still kind of a little bit shaky with the team moving to third. Could be really solid there. Second, he'd obviously be great as well. He's just an explosive athlete, So I think it's gonna work out one way or another at one of these spots. But it just seems like he's better across the board. Everything that you wanted to see. And remember this was one of the more athletic players in the twenty twenty four class. That's why he went, you know, as high as he did. And now we're starting to see that athleticism shine through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent, he's been awesome. I think it's it's gonna be cool. I mean, Washington's one of the best offices in baseball, Like you guys have talked about on the TV show a lot like and this is another guy who could add a wrinkle like even if he's not playing shortstop right like he he could be another bat at the bottom half of that lineup that just continues to make that team even better on offense, which is so crazy that we're talking about the White Sux in the Nationals offense is so highly right now, but it's how it's where we are right now. The Nationals have done a great job getting to this point.
Speaker 2: And both have that young talent working their way up and as you mentioned, the Asciver King could get up there sooner rather than later. Big thing is to see those those swing decisions continue to hold in the way that they have and how much better they are. And again, ninety two miles per hour average ecxs of all for this guy too. I mean it's it's up four miles per hour, almost four and a half from last year. Clearly sever kings finding the barrel and swinging the bat a little bit harder.
Speaker 4: It's a huge jump.
Speaker 3: Next guy right up, next list on the top one hundred ninety sixth is Brayland Dodie of the Cleveland Guardians organization. This was a twenty twenty four what was it, just outside the CBA pick so just outside the first round in twenty twenty four. Last year was a really solid first pro season and has pretty much just carried it over and then some.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 3: He goes from Single A last year at nineteen years old, now he's in high A as a twenty year old. The strikeout rates even higher, the walk rates even lower. Era is about the same as last year. You're talking about, you know, a twenty year old righty who's got a thirty percent k rate, five percent walk rate this season. It's just he's been really, really solid, and he's another Guardians pitcher who just continues to work their way into a top prospect list.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, he's He's a fascinating arm because you just feel like there's still so much more in there. I mean, such a good athlete, a phenomenal athlete in the mound, and there was a multi sport athlete in high school. And you can really see that he hole vary his leg kicks kind of hesitate with it, mess with your timing, and his balance is just so evident and clear on the mound. What's also fascinating is I think there's even more in there for the fastball. We see him touch ninety seven, but he averages closer to ninety three ninety four, and he's ninety three point seven to be exact in the four seamer. The other thing is he averages over twenty five hundred RPMs on the four seamer. It gets fair like slightly above average carry, but with a little bit more beneficent tea and consistency like that could have plus ride to it. The command of the heater is fantastic, seventy six percent strike rate on the four seamer. He also mixes in a two seamer with a sixty seven percent strike rate. I think that's the really fun thing with Dodi. He's like, you spin it the way that he does. His curve ball is over three thousand RPMs. He has a cutter as well that he mixes in there like twenty seven hundred. The slider looks like a good pitch. He can spin the living crap out of the baseball. So you have a plus curveball plus slider leading the way. But the fastball is the really interesting X factor. If it's hovers and stays around average, I think it plays up even with the just the high spin, it just seems to kind of stay up a little bit more than you expect. But if he can find a little bit more spinefficiency and hold the villo a little bit more, that's gonna play closer to and above average plus pitch. You got three plus pitches there, and Dode's change up has come along to where it's at least an average fourth offering and it looks like he's gonna have plus command. So this guy screams at worst back end of the rotation starter. But you see this upside now with you know, a four pitch mix that looks really solid and you know three potentially plus pitches at least two where Dodi's gonna be I think, a really solid on for a long time and still has that middle rotation upside. He also just looks like at the type of guy that's going to get the most out of his stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like he can maximize. I feel like he got some room to climb right now, and it sounds like there's a lot more in the tank. And even you know, checking in here at ninety six on the top one hundred, like sounds to me like there's room for him to really kind of make his way even further up the lift if he taps into more of this. And remember he's only twenty years old, so he's got plenty of time. He's gonna be twenty this entire season. He's not twenty one until the offseason, so like, there's some room here I think for him to add.
Speaker 2: More sixty seven percent overall strike right, I mean, he commands everything really well. I love the way that this stuff kind of tunnels. The shapes are all pretty distinct. It's just a really solid pitching prospect that again the underlying points towards there being even more to unlock.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exciting stuff.
Speaker 3: Our next player up on the Newcomers comes in at ninety three, and that is Elmer Rodriguez of the Yankees organization, who debuted earlier this season a little bit shaky in his first three MLB starts. He was making some spot starts for the Yankees, but not putting a ton of stock in that because this guy was one of the best pitchers in Minor league baseball last year through one hundred and fifty minor league ginnings at a two to five ERA last season. This year in Triple A thirty nine and two thirds at a two nine to five VRA he's really been extremely good throughout the minor leagues for three years in a row now with Boston and then coming over to New York. A little bit of a tough start to his big league career, but he's a twenty two year old who's dominated minor league baseball for three years.
Speaker 2: For row now, Yeah, I think we've skewed lower on him and then metally. I just I don't love the shapes, but at the same time, it's just too hard to deny at this point. And the tipping point for me was more like hitter reactions, where it just seems like there's some built in deception here that's going to allow the arsenal to play up. He cross fires, he stays closed, and then crossfires where you just don't see the ball until late. And that crossfire delivery, when you are a guy that works very horizontally with your arsenal, is definitely going to allow it to play up. So I think that was the thing for me just became increasingly difficult to deny. The results for Rodriguez and back to back to back years effectively, and with what he's done in the upper levels, you'll get the horizontal separation with the slider and then kind of like the sweeping curveball that he will throw, and then the sinker on the other end of the thing of the plot. It's pretty fascinating there he can buzz the forcing up just enough to be able to change eye levels, and I'm like, I don't even know if there's a clear plus pitch, but when you've got three above average offerings, maybe five average or better offerings, and you have this built in deception that allows it to play up, that's where I'm like, this guy looks at least like a back end of the rotation starter. The big thing for Rodriguez as to whether he's like a five or can push maybe closer to a fringe three, is going to be that command. I think his stuff moves so so much horizontally that it's hard for him to consistently throw strikes, and that's part of the reason why I think we saw the big league struggles. But again, it's just it was too hard for me to deny what we've seen, and I'm like, he just looks like such a high probability four starter. Whether that happens this year or a couple of years from now. Reminder, he's still just twenty two and more room to strengthen up, and like could end up throwing harder. It just became too hard for me to deny him at this point.
Speaker 3: That's why I love doing the newcomer episodes with you, because you have every different reason, right, Like this is a guy who's coming on because the production has just been too good.
Speaker 4: You might not love the profile right and not be the most projectable, but he's just been great.
Speaker 3: Then you've got guys that break out like Steever King take a huge step forward. Then we have guys later on who we are like these high school guys which just popped from last year's draft, Like you have such a range, but these guys all have, for whatever reason in their own right, have earned a spot in the top one hundred, and many of them are going to keep rising up.
Speaker 2: That's a great point. There's a lot of different ways to get in the top one hundred, especially when you have like twenty something graduates. But yeah, there's a couple guys, and it's like the subjective versus objective thing, and with there's subjective aspects of like mechanics, swings, how you think the stuff is going to play. Then the objective side is the numbers that you can't really deny, and with Almer, the objective just became way too, way too prominent for the subjective to out weigh, no doubt. I like that.
Speaker 4: That's a good explanation. We got a bunch of more names.
Speaker 3: Let's take a quick break before we dive right back in getting back into our top one hundred newcomers here. Next name up on the list is the next number up ninety second, and it's Joseph Zerwa of the Baltimore Orioles organization. This is a fun one who we've talked about a couple times this year because he was second rounder last year by the Orioles. Really has just shown that he's probably even better than his draft stock indicated last year. Worked his way through High A absolutely dominating to two ERA through his first eight starts there. Got promoted a couple of weeks ago to Double A. His initial three starts in Double A, I mean, some of the numbers are crazy. For while his first three starts in Double A, what is it twenty three strikeouts, three walks so far in sixteen and two thirds innings at the Double A level, six' eight left hander from last year's draft and looks like he's just a really, quick rising college arm from the draft.
Speaker 2: CLASS i, mean it's amazing we picked him as a breakout because you just immediately saw deceptive left throwing. Harder deceptive lefty strike thrower who's throwing harder is gonna be a really easy breakout to. Call, Like i'm not even gonna say. That this isn't why you should listen to the. Show this was a low hanging fruit, pick but it's very cool to see him make that happen, Right like you're seeing the velocity hold enough to where for him it doesn't need to be ninety, five it just needed to be ninety, three and that's where he's. Been you pair that with the fact that he's just revamped the whole arsenal to WHERE i, mean the change up was his was his best pitch and it still ultimately is his best. Pitch But zerbo has been dominant this year without the change up really being there for him, completely which is the most amazing. Part that was like all he had really At Michigan. State so this is a really fun. Development where it was more ninety to ninety, two now it's more ninety two to ninety. Five and it's not just making the fastball better from what was fringy to now and above average pitch with the belts in. Deception it's also making his other pitch is better because he's added this. Cutter that cutter looks above. Average it may not have played as, well you, know in the past because he didn't throw his hard but now that cutter being able to play you, know closer to, that you, know upper up mid. EIGHTIES i would say range is enough from his release, point that kind of horizontal release to be difficult for hit or is kind of tie up righties or work away from. Lefties then you have more of this sweeper off of that that looks like it can be like a sweeping curveball that looks like he can be a solid offering as. Well but the biggest thing with me with With zerr was you have plus. Command he's already getting into AND i, thought with his command and, deception even if it was four average, pitches he had a good shot to be able to like hold down a number five spot in a rotation if he executes. Enough now you push to above average, fastball above average, cutter and a plus change up with that plus, command and you, say, well this guy could be a strong, four maybe even a. Three AND i don't think you can rule Out zu being able to maybe gain another. Tick he's foot, eight two hundred. Pounds he moves pretty athletically on the. Mound there could be another tick or two in. There and if that's in, there then we're talking about a potential middle rotation On.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah it seems like there's some some juice. THERE i, mean it's, exciting it's a it's always. FUN i love the big left. Handers they're always just enjoyable to, watch especially with the deception you mentioned. There but it sounds like there's still a little bit of you, know continual arsenal. Tweaking and again he's throwing. Away he's throwing, fifty you, know fifty seven career minor, Leaguinnings like he didn't throw it all last year after. College he was a three year guy At Michigan. State he threw a lot of innings through out. College but, like if there's even more in the, tank he really has continued to trend, up like his strikeout. Rate it's actually pretty. Crazy it's rare to see a guy whose strikeout rate goes up every single year of his like progression.
Speaker 4: Even through college and then in now in to the minor.
Speaker 3: Leagues like he was a guy his first, year you, know his second year at, college he was only rocking a Twenty i'm looking at a twenty five percent strikeout right now he's rocking at thirty four percent rate in DOUBLE. A so it's like you see a guy that just seems like he continues to get better from his college time and then even now into you, know as he's rising the ranked hea is getting better along the way one hundred.
Speaker 2: Percent and whether it be from the arsenal like well roundedness or just the quality of the. Stuff the other thing is, fastballs it's thirty two percent wifth. RATE i think it's just going to always outperform maybe what people think on the. Surface it's run and, ride gets eighteen inches of horizontal but like fourteen to fifteen inches on average, avert but hold throw some fastballs that are getting like seventeen and. Seventeen it's, like that's crazy from his release. Point AND i think that's a big reason why we're Seeing SIR i have the success that he's. Having he's really dominating with the heater.
Speaker 3: A hundred, percent one of the more well, rounded higher floor guys that was a late addition to the top one hundred coming into eighty. Third it's case In cunningham of The diamondbacks, organization their first round pick out of high school last, year one of like the safer high school, picks which is a weird thing to say because high school picks are rarely. Safe But cunningham is a very advanced hit tool guy who has shown that immediately so far this, season and it's just done about what we.
Speaker 4: Expected and then then you, know is our inn the spot on?
Speaker 3: It because of that he's hitting three eighty, one THOUGH i mean that's probably even more than, expected.
Speaker 4: RIGHT i say, expected because we expected him.
Speaker 3: To be a high hit tool, guy BUT i. DON'T i mean four to seventy one on base. Percentage it's a one fifty SIX wrc plus there's not a ton of, impact AND i think that's the thing to follow with in terms of What cunningham's upside can. Be but he's a, speedy elite hit tool type of prep bat of from last year's class who's showing exactly why so far this season and.
Speaker 2: He's been hitting the ball a lot harder of. Late that was a little bit of my, concern and why he was a late addition IS i mean it was like eighty three eighty four mile per hour average ex velocity through the first couple of months or first like four weeks or. So overs ust thirty, games it's an eighty nine mile per hour average exivelocity For, cunningham which has raised the season average to eighty, Six and For, cunningham with his bat to ball, skills doesn't need to be too much higher than. THAT i always talk about LIKE i just can't escape the Exavier edwards, Comparison and now we're Seeing edwards what it looks like when you can even just push north of, thirty like thirty great power or how incredible that can, be not even just from a mixing a handful of, homers but just splitting the gaps. Consistently BUT i think there's a similar progression that you can maybe dream on With cunningham as. Well but WHY i see the similarities is just the field to, hit the operation in the, box just how advanced it is overall, there and also with gunning, him it's a pretty good approach. Too the aspect that really pushed him onto the top one hundred and not just on it then into the top eighty five at eighty three is the. DEFENSE i really thought he was going to be a guy as an amateur that would end up sliding over to second. Base and maybe that still ultimately. Happens there's obviously a lot of time for different things to happen here as he's nineteen years old, still BUT i was really impressed with the defense relative to WHAT i was. Expecting AND i think this is a guy that could not only stick it, short but potentially being above average defender. There he moves his feet way better THAN i. Thought he stays and works really low to the. Ground his arm is stronger THAN i. THOUGHT i didn't really think he would have the carry and the zip on his throes and throwing from different. ANGLES i really think this is going to be a guy that sticks it short and that totally changes the. Profile. Right that was similar to the limitation Of Xavier. Edwards before you know he's just turned into the hitter that he. Is is that it's, like oh, well it's not a, good very good shortstop because the. Arm the arm was the limitation not the, hands So cunningham he's got the ARM i think to be able to stick there and that's gonna help. HIM i don't think he quite has the bats ball That edwards has or, had but he's hit the ball a little bit harder than he WAS i think at this. Stage and, again if he sticks it short in, aggregate he's going to be probably similar in value and be a really good.
Speaker 4: Player it's an exciting. PIECE i, mean you don't need TO i think it's it's.
Speaker 3: Funny we talked about this earlier with lineup, construction and like you don't need every player to be impacting the ball like crazy like. You you're seeing guys that are succeeding Like Xavior, Edwards AND i don't think cunning, Him you're never Expect you're. Not we're not expecting Cunning him to ever get to fifty plus, power LIKE i.
Speaker 4: Don't it's just not.
Speaker 3: Realistic but if he continues to round out the game along with such an ADVANCED d tool and is a true shortstop and and can add a little more impact as time goes, on he's starting to. Steal if he steals more bags as time goes, on there's all these different layers to his game that will make him not just a hit tool.
Speaker 4: Guy he'll still be valuable in.
Speaker 2: Many different, ways, right which makes a huge. Difference so we talked about Like Chase mydrath with The White, sox he has to hit so freaking much to get to that three war. Plateau if it's an above average, shortstop that that's absolutely going to help big. Time and then, yeah gap to gap power is all you really need to, compliment no.
Speaker 3: Doubt seventy eighth on the top one, HUNDRED a fun name move we've talked about before on the heat. Sheet way In linn of the athletics, ORGANIZATION i kind of want to just start going With Vegas. ATHLETICS i know it's, bad but like we saw him In vegas. Already Now i'm just, like are we gonna just start Saying? VEGAS i don't, know But lynn has been awesome this. Season he was someone who last YEAR i had some really good, moments but this year just taking up a whole other. Level absolutely dominated The DOUBLE a level, one, nine THREE ra and ten starts In DOUBLE, a just got promoted to.
Speaker 4: Trips had a really rough first, outing but first.
Speaker 3: Outing we'll leave it at that nothing too, crazy but absolutely destroyed DOUBLE, a leading to him debuting on this list at seventy.
Speaker 2: Eighth, YEAH i mean that's gonna be the interesting. Thing tripley is gonna be a tough test because pitchability guy with deception built in and then you got to pitch in THE pcl gotta be. Tough len was difficult to completely assess because so much of it is the deception and the pitch ability that makes him so. Good doesn't really have a clear plus, pitch had a fifty on the, heater fifty on the. CUTTER i think the curveball flashed above, average fifty on the, slider splitter flashed above. Average so if you're not gonna have a clear plus, pitch have five average or better pitches and then have plus command and tie that all in the. Bow is the deception where he just kind of hides the ball just seems to be another one of these lefties where you don't pick it up that. Great everything tunnels really. Well AND i think the other aspect that ny you See lenz so, high len so highly, regarded is that he's just twenty years. Old for the entirety of the season he's had the success that he has had and he's, six really he's still kind of. SLENDER i think there is room for more V low and with his just kind of deceptive nature where he's going to generate a little bit more with than you, expect especially in the four, SEAMER whi just seems to get on hitters a little bit more quickly than they. Expect another tick or two can go a long way for somebody like. Him you, know it's ninety one on average with the four seamer and not which is. Interesting he actually throws the two seamer, harder which is not something you generally. See BUT i think if he can just gain another tick or, two it does make a big. Difference, yeah it's ninety two and a half on average with the four seamer or with the two. Seamer excuse, me but it's just a different set of looks he can give. YOU i think it's overall just a really interesting pitch. Mix and also you look at the. CUTTER i think that's the big pitch that can kind of give him a different look as, well where it just in a vacuum grades is. Average But i'm also looking at the V low like issues here he actually sits more closer to two ninety. Three what happens is his cutter can get so much ride to it that it actually gets labeled as a four seamer sometimes, too and it's brought down the four seamer. Average so point, being it's a really difficult at bat to. Navigate you got to worry about a four, seamer then a cutter a little bit off of that, horizontally and then a sinker working in the opposite. Direction then you also have the curveball and the change, up and again he's commanding all of these pitches really. Well lenn looks like he could be a very very solid arm for a long, time and they worked carefully with his. Innings now he's been more aggressively pursuing a larger workload and he's been handling it really well so far this.
Speaker 4: Year, yeah you hit on it perfectly.
Speaker 3: THERE i think all of those things that for a guy who's twenty is just like that's the biggest standout there, Is like he's twenty years. Old there's a reason he's now getting this type pedigree because even if HE i, mean let's say he does struggle at TRIPLE a the rest of the, season like you're still not. Panicking it's guy who's gonna go in the next season at twenty one years old and be twenty one all of next, year, Right, like there's a lot for a guy who's a left hander with the carefully calculated, Innings like there's just so much for him to still continue to get better, at continue to work. Through SO i, think, yeah he's moved really quickly through the minors so, Far but you're not in a rush with this.
Speaker 4: GUY i know that is would love to get.
Speaker 3: Him up there because they could use pitching one hundred, percent and they're trying to make the playoffs this year, actually so they definitely could use.
Speaker 4: Pitching but, like you also don't need.
Speaker 3: To rush and be urgent with a guy, who's you, know an international signing two years ago and is still twenty years, Old.
Speaker 4: So take your time a little bit there with.
Speaker 3: Him Josh hammond of The royals organization comes in here at seventy six on the top one. Hundred the EXAMPLE i gave earlier of another high school guy Like Casey cunningham we talked about Now Josh hammond last year twenty eighth overall pick we talked about in that draft, catchup But hammond's numbers have been, good BUT i wouldn't say the numbers on surface level have been stand. Out so what is it under the radar here and under the shelf that got hammered all the way up to seventy six for?
Speaker 2: You, yeah this is just a huge upside. Guy so you're just hoping that it comes together. Here but also could be a guy that slips a little bit as we, see you, know more challenging. COMPETITION i just think the proposition of what he could potentially provide is what puts him in that value point of like right in the middle of the fifty future, values maybe even skewing towards the higher. End WHEN i tell you could have a, shortstop you, know an above average defensive, shortstop and then they've moved him all. Over BUT i really think this guy can play above average shortstop And i'm very interested to see their long term plans. There if he moves over to, THIRD i think plus third with plus power and just that, alone, right you get plus power and above average defense on the left side of the infield from a young high school. Draftee i'm gonna be excited about. THAT i also think just the way that he's already held his. Own this is guy with a little bit of swing and misconcern and he's immediately been, COMFORTABLE i think relatively, speaking in full season ball and his pro. Debut so watching, HIM i mean just seeing how much impact that there could already be in. There and he has cooled off since we put the list. Out but the fact that in LOW a in fifty two games he's only striking out twenty four percent of the, time WHEN i think the biggest concern, Was, yeah the swing and, miss and you're seeing the evs that we're seeing, AGAIN i know that he hasn't tapped into that power yet in terms of converting it into. GAME i think there's just so much in. Here he's fifteen for sixteen the stolen based. Department but this was a player where when you watch you see the, explosiveness you see the power, upside you see the ability to potentially be a really solid defender on the left. Side and AGAIN i think he's a. Shortstop you see the baseball, instincts AND i just think this is a guy that is has a chance to make a huge. Leap he was a two way guy out of high school. Too he was up to ninety nine on the, Mound so letting him and focus more exclusively on just playing a position and, HITTING i think makes him a very easy candidate to, skyrocket you, know as he gets more.
Speaker 3: Reps so it's getting ahead of the curve a little bit here on a guy Like, himon because, yeah you look at the numbers in comparison to some of the other names we're talking, about and you're, like, oh he's been, good but, like he hasn't been crazy so, far BUT i think you're you hit up. There this tool raw the, Shortstop, yeah the raw, potential but like there's a and he still gets into the top eighty of this list because just how much the upside is in the tank there potentially for a guy Like, hammond who you know what is interesting you mentioned the shortop. Aspect he has split time like almost. Evenly it's thirty games at short and twenty two games at, third which is interesting BECAUSE i usually prep, guys especially if they come into the, shortstop get nothing but shortstop out of the. Game so it's interesting to see they took the route kind of similar To Kala bonamber last. Year hinds me of where it's like the immediately kind of splitting between short and.
Speaker 2: THIRD i thought that was, weird and that's why WHEN i went into the defensive, Video i'm, LIKE i was even more confused BECAUSE i was so. IMPRESSED i, MEAN i know he's kicked the ball around a little, bit AND i think they like most of the errors THAT i saw was just, transfer like the ball would get, stuck like he just like his arm timing would be a little bit off because his footwork was a little bit, weird or he just his hands the ball kind of got stuck in the glove and just kind of just needing reps and smoothing things. Over but you would see the first step and the arm strength and the ability to throw from these different angles and the, range And i'm, like this guy can be a, monster both defensively and. Offensively the swing, mechanics like there's room for those the mechanics to get cleaned, up and he's still producing the way that he has and still getting really good swings. Off so, look there's a chance he hits a bit of a wall because these things don't improve and the raw aspect continues to remain. Raw But i'm going to venture to believe that two way guy focusing more on hitting and just the raw tools that he has is he's going to be a big up. Arrow whether that happens in the back half of this year or if it's just the way he shows up to camp next, Year, yeah no.
Speaker 3: Doubt going into another high school. Guy he got a little run here on a handful of different high school. Guys the seventy fifth on the, list so right After, hammond right Above, Hammond Tayton gray of The Tampa Bay rays organization was a prep guy last, year eighty sixth, overall, though which already seems like a massive. Steal we've talked to him a number of. Times eighteen year old first, baseman who you, know it's going to be all about the bat when it comes To, gray but the bat is really. Enticing it's a one forty three W rc plus so far this. Year he's getting on base at an over four hundred. Clip he's walking a, ton he's you, know whifts a little, bit but keeping it at a reasonable, rate and just a ton of.
Speaker 4: Upside here at the. Plate for a guy you, know in the right organization to continue to hone in on that.
Speaker 2: Upside he reminds me so much Of Ralphie, velasquez you, know breaking in, here AND i had them the ride, up AND i realized we didn't screen share on YouTube for this. One we'll do it on the future. Episodes we'll screen share the ride ups and the tool grades and. Everything but when you look At tayt And Gray, MAN i mean young for the class, too which is the fun. Part AND i let me just get you some of the batted ball data for this kid who's still eighteen years. OLD evi ninety of one hundred and seven point four miles per hour for a switch, hitter and you have a max already of one thirteen drafted when he's, drafted it played a little bit all over but some. Catcher he was under the radar prospect out Of, iowa which, apparently like it's really hard to to fight these guys because The iowa season starts like way. Later and this is what The rays, do, Right they snag him the third. Round and when you think about a switch hitter who's six four two twenty with this kind of power potential that he's already starting to get into like right, away and having the success that he's having in full season, ball as again a young for his, class but on young for the. Level we know, that but how about just young for full season ball and young for the class type of, guy and he's performing as one of the you, know more impressive players out of that class right. Away i'm so excited about this, too BECAUSE i see the potential for average, hit above average, play, discipline and plus power and there's a chance that could continue to push higher power, Wise LIKE i, Mean i'm not going to put a cap on a kid that's eighteen years old for almost the entirety of the season that is already hitting the ball as hard as he, is and at his six four two TWENTY i can't wait to see what else is in. There and, kid you don't find switch hitters with this kind of power upside very, often especially without like egregious whift concern AND i think you can say, comfortable like there might be some whiff that creeps. In but the fact that at eighteen years, Old Tatan gray is a switch hitter is producing an eighty five percent in zone contact rate and a twenty two percent chase, RATE i think is extremely encouraging when you know that power is really the name of his. Game out of The gate and he's only striking out twenty two percent of the time and walking sixteen.
Speaker 3: COMPLETELY i think it's a pretty tantalizing offensive upside. HERE i think he's one of those guys that you look at and you're, LIKE i, mean look At ralphie blastcause you guys are going to talk about him in The Biggest risers, episode like he, climbed he sort up the list in his second pro season as a prep.
Speaker 4: Bat with this type of, upside this is a guy that like he's on the list.
Speaker 3: Now he debuts at seventy five and like you told, Me Tatan gray is to one top twenty five next year wouldn't really shock, me even as a first basement because it's that.
Speaker 4: Type of offensive. Upside if things continue to click for.
Speaker 2: Him right would not surprise me at. All and it looks like he can play solid first, base is a good athlete for his, size and he can't even move a little bit like he's turning in average run. Times he may slow, down but he's not a clogger by any. Means this this is the guy that's going to skyrocket similar to way the way that we've Seen Theo gillan skyrocket different skill set, obviously BUT i think we're gonna see another prep guy skyrocket. Here big reason Why i've been, buying by the, way the raise spots and and Like bowman draft breaks and stuff like, that, which by the, WAY i wanted to. Plug if you're listening to, this whether it be on let's say, Today, Tuesday, tuesday Or, wednesday we're going live on. Loop the link to our stores in the episode. Description we're doing a fun promo WITH cgc where any card that you pull over fifty dollars in, value we're going to send that to you or TO cgc for free to get graded and then they'll get sent right back to. You we're really excited about. That and, yeah we're gonna be Doing bowman draft. Breaks we have a half, case full, case and of course trying to make it as competitively priced as. Possible also personals in, there like at twenty Six Bowman, blasters you can buy your, own hobby box will ship it out to, you and anything that you pull any of those products north of fifty, dollars it's going TO cgc to get graded at for. Free that's on. Us link is in the episode description to go check out the store and the, stream so be sure to check that. Out it'll Be tuesday evening, right not too long after recording, this And wednesday around like four or five, o'clock so keep an eye out for, that. HOPING i already bought the ray spot in one of, them just giving you a head. UP i think it's available on the other one BECAUSE i Want Tayton. GRAY i, MEAN i don't blame, you it makes. Sense we got a bunch.
Speaker 3: More we got a couple more names here in this, segment and then we'll get to the next one after one more, quickly talk about a guy who kind of came out of nowhere here and to break into the top one hundred for the first. Time seventy fourth on our top one hundred list Is Noelan perry of The Blue jays organization twenty twenty two to twelfth round, pick WHO i won't. LIE i had never heard of the guy until this. Year i'm not gonna act THAT i had heard of this. Guy twenty, second you, know twelfth round pick six, hundred three hundred and sixty eighth overall pick in that draft in twenty twenty, two had tj after a good twenty four, season came back missed all of twenty twenty. Five he'd been good in his minor ly, career but just hadn't thrown much at. All comes out this year absolutely Destroyed SINGLE, a absolutely.
Speaker 2: Shoving now IN.
Speaker 3: Hia through ten games Between SINGLE a and HIG, a the twenty two year Old Nolan perry has a one three seven E, ra a forty two percent strikeout.
Speaker 4: Rate this guy just kind of just.
Speaker 3: Emerged and we've talked About toronto's pitching development taking a really big step forward the past couple of years. Before this is a really interesting name who just popped, up and it suddenly looks like one of the highest quickest rising pitching prospects in all of.
Speaker 2: BASEBALL i, mean the strikeout numbers are, outrageous and he was getting brought up a lot in The, discord AND i was excited to talk about him BECAUSE i know people in the Discord Blue jays fans are. Not i've been really excited about. Him, Look perry looks so. Good this is obviously a team that's going to be in, perpetual like win now, mode especially right. Now parry could be a guy that either flies through the minors or becomes a really big trade ship for, them BECAUSE i think a lot of teams are going to be very impressed with the stuff that he is. Generating it's a fastball with you, know at ninety, four but with plus, carry, uh then it's it's a slider that's above, average a curveball that is an absolute. BANGER i, mean it looks like it could be better than. Plus so you have a great outis plus right, now but oloks like it could be plus plus with a little bit more consistency command. WISE i think actually the promise of curveball breaks too, much so it's it's been a little bit of a challenge for him to consistently. Command but at like seventy nine to eighty one miles per, hour he's getting two plane break on that and it is decimating hitter to the exact tune of eight a sixty five percent whiff rate on his curve ball so far this, Year so just for those that may not be one hundred percent, familiar hitters are making contact with that pitch thirty five percent of the. Time that's. Disgusting his slider is garnering a chase rate almost at forty, percent and his four steamers is getting a whiffrate of twenty two, percent which a former is. Fantastic so he's dominating hitters and the thing the big question is going to be the. Command he's starting to walk a few more guys in. Hyay it's not a. Problem it hasn't been a problem, yet and he is just picking apart. Everybody so, YEAH i mean DOUBLE a will be the big, Test BUT i think the biggest test For perry is just to prove that he can handle a large workload and that you, know he'll be in the zone enough to reach his middle rotation. Upside.
Speaker 3: Yeah for those who don't, listen maybe quite as. Much Whenever arm chuckles as he reads a, number it's typically a sign that something's pretty.
Speaker 4: Ridiculous some of these numbers are.
Speaker 3: Crazy these are insane numbers For Nolan perry and someone that probably is the least known name on this entire, LIST i would say across the, board AND i think we're the first people to rank him top one, hundred And i'm pretty SURE i haven't seen him anywhere else so.
Speaker 4: Far so this is a guy to keep an eye, on for.
Speaker 3: Sure he's another name of a couple names on this list where it's, like, oh you made the list, now but, like could you rise up the list a? Ton you might be on The newcombers episode this, time maybe the next time you're on The Biggest risers. Episode that's a real pot dissibility with a guy Like, perry considering the stuff we're seeing from.
Speaker 2: Him another high spin heater like twenty five, rpm like he gets eighteen vern, now but a little bit more. Spinefficiency there could be even more in. There and then the change the splitter that he, throws like it's a little bit scatter shot at this, point but there's some splitters he's mixed in there that have been. Gross you get that pitch. GOING i, mean this is a this is absolutely a number three, starters you know kind of pitch mix or maybe even.
Speaker 3: More, wow got a couple more guys, here one more arm After, perry and then we got two bats to finish it. Out coming in at sixty ninth on The top one hundred list Is Anthony ironson of The Red Sox organization and we talked about him. Recently he's a guy that's been on a heatge and he's been amazing this. SEASON i actually want to frame this one differently BECAUSE i Thought einsen was gonna be higher for.
Speaker 4: YOU i really.
Speaker 3: DID i Thought, ironsen based on the numbers so far this, season being a command guy in college who's seen such a stuff, UPTICK i thought he was gonna be like top fifty for.
Speaker 2: You i'll be.
Speaker 3: Honest So i'm curious why he's debuting at sixty nine and compared to WHERE i thought he might have for.
Speaker 2: You, yeah so DID. I i JUST i don't know the. Way it was an interesting, Watch, LIKE i think he's really VERY i, mean you talk about the floor so high and another command guy who sees the uptick absolutely exciting. Stuff the UPTICK i don't think has quite been to the degree THAT i think it. Was you, know people thought it would be in what we saw when he's touching one, hundred you, know and spring breakout or whatever it may. Be it's been closer to the fastballs average about ninety three point five miles per hour this. Year but it's that cut ride heater THAT i think is a really effective, pitch and then working off of, that it's a really fascinating vertical tunnel right where you've got cut or slider curveball just working all the way. Downwards but you, KNOW i JUST i do wonder if there's enough consistent within there against more challenging. COMPETITION i think the cut ride action helps him stay above. Barrels AND i just also see some shape variants like sometimes it's more, cut sometimes it's more, ride AND i think that's almost made him effectively. Wild but in terms of like absolutely pinpointing, it obviously he's he's obviously not gonna give up a ton of. WALKS i just felt like there is it may not play quite as well at the highest level as it is playing right. NOW i would love to see the change up come along a little bit. MORE i just think that he may be a guy that is a little bit susceptible to platoon. Splits the fastball gets hit harder by left handed hitters because they like the GUY i told you. About the shape, variants some like run. Back it's like some cut and then some run a little bit more arm, side and lefties crush the PITCHES i was like able to bucket. Them the ones that start to run arm, side those get. Crushed and so there could be some challenges Where, okay what's his best pitch off of, that it's gonna be AND i know Gyro slader curveball is a little bit more platoon, neutral but those are gonna be pitches THAT i think are gonna play a little bit better against. Righties SO i am a little bit concerned about keeping lefties at bay at the degree that he can keep righties at, Bay but overall like he's still able to work. IT i think enough with put two neutral ish enough pitches to make it. HAPPEN i JUST i think when you're seeing him ranked as like a top thirty PROSPECT i SEEING i feel like that implies there's number two upside here or whatever it may. Be AND i just don't know how he misses enough bats to quite get. THERE i might be, Wrong and obviously like he has missed a fair amount of bats with his slider and with the cutter so far this, year and even the curve, ball SO i might just be a little bit more. SKEPTICAL i just don't know if that fastball is going to play as well at it is as it has played so, far you, know in the minor leagues this, year And i'm interested to find, Out BUT i think he's more of a floor still over ciling guy overall fifty percent hard hit rate allowed AVERAGE exi velocity against him a ninety one and a half miles per. Hour it's been pretty amazing that he's been as effective as he has.
Speaker 3: Been, yeah it's an interesting way you framed it as like the two starter or like because where he's on the, list maybe it is more three, starter which is still a big improvement from a guy who was very much a command guy in, college, Right, like that's the interesting wrinkle here is, like even if it's not quite as lethal as you, know maybe we've we've heard that it might be still a guy that has very clearly ticked up since college and at the least has put himself in the the you, know the path to be a mid rotation guy compared to maybe coming out of school it was, like, oh he could be a back end guy with with a little more, dependability but probably less. Excitement there's still definitely an upticket, excitement just maybe not quite to that kind.
Speaker 4: Of per type of, guy.
Speaker 2: RIGHT i think for me the biggest thing was, like if you ask me where is he more likely to land as a two starter or four, Starter i'm going to say a four, Starter AND i mean like left handed hitters so far this year have a ninety two percent zone contact rate against that fastball and a swinging strike rate of only five. Percent the hard hit rate of fifty. Percent you flip that. Around the fastball has been way better against Aroundst righty's triple the swinging strike. Rate so maybe he finds a change. Up maybe there's some more consistent see with the, fastball and he can neutralize. Lefties but we're seeing left tended hitters used to be a, rarity now there's like more of them than. Righties at this. Point it is just a slight concern in terms of being able to reach to that number two. Ceiling but AGAIN i THINK i might be splitting hairs with them a little too, much and this still may end up being a guy that is more dominant with wise than Maybe i'm giving him credit, for and quickly the tunneling aspect is an ability for him to maybe maximize the Stuff i've just also in the v low closer to. THAT i think it's gonna sit, closer especially deeper into the, season to that ninety three range instead of the mid to upper nineties that we thought maybe he had you, know. Achieved, yeah makes.
Speaker 3: Sense two more guys to talk about, here coming in at sixty, eighth right, after right before or at Above aronsen Is Cooper fleming of The Tampa Bay raised. Organization another ray. Here we talked about the third Round raise high school guy earlier In Tatan. Gray now we're talking about last year's second Round raise high school guy of now and.
Speaker 4: It's just that draft class from the. Race it looks ridiculous so.
Speaker 3: Far And fleming's a guy that's played a combination of third and short so far in his pro.
Speaker 4: Career seems like he's played more.
Speaker 3: Short he's actually played some second, two so he's really played all three infield spots a decent amount of his age nineteen season so. Far in SINGLE a he's getting on base at a three seventy eight clip one NINE wrc, plus really solid. Approach seems like a mature hitter for a prep pick who's in his first pro season.
Speaker 2: Here, YEAH i then this was a guy that out of the draft of some of his PARTS i think was the exciting. Part and then now you see him tapping into more already where you're seeing what could end up being average. Power what is an above average field to hit plenty more room to grow is six, three one. Ninety this is another guy that was kind of a two way prospect and now he's focusing more on on obviously just. Hitting, yeah the other aspect is he may not be a great. SHORTSTOP i think he can provide average defensive ability at, shortstop but he absolutely can play all over the, infield AND i think if he's an average, SHORTSTOP i think you'd be an above average third baseman to really solid tecond. Basement ultimately as, well the quality of contact floor is what stands. Out like the ninety percent alegs Of oositi is only one oh, one but his average eggbosity is eighty nine through his first fifty, games which to, me it shows you that this is a guy that's finding the barrel consistently and is maximizing what he's Got right. Now you're betting on more power being unlocked, here AND i think that will. Come but this guy that's walking almost as much as he's striking. Out he still has snuck out five homers through those first fifty, games WHICH i think is still. Encouraging AND i JUST i think that some of his parts is just an above average big league player THAT i still believe you can dream on above average power as he continues to fill out because the batted ball angles are solid as.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah that makes.
Speaker 3: Sense it's some of the, parts but some of the parts turns into a really good big league player sometimes if all the parts start working, well, right and.
Speaker 2: It's such a simple, swing like he doesn't even, move he barely, moves and it's above average, batspeed AND i think it's gonna convert into more power as he continues to settle.
Speaker 4: In, yeah makes perfect. Sense i'm with you.
Speaker 3: There last guy up in this episode and then we'll get into our second part later this. Week coming in at sixty seventh on the top one hundred list Is Charles davilon of The dodgers.
Speaker 4: Organization this is a.
Speaker 3: Guy WHO i think we kind of you AND i Think jack also tabbed him as like a breakout guy from being forty first overall last year out Of. Arkansas so far as, first he had played eight games last season in SINGLE, a but so far this season fifty one games at the high level For, dablon more walks than. Strikeouts he's getting on base at a four h three, clip some, power some speeds and solen. Bases you're really getting a little bit of everything so far From, dablon but really just really good at. BATS i, mean eleven percent strikeout rates so far on the year for the outfielder at The, dodgers.
Speaker 2: OR i don't think people realize how good this guy is because he's buried in an organization right now that has so many outfield. Prospects Charles dablon IS i think the most exciting, version like in terms of what he does well already of these contact oriented, guys where he's what you expect from a bats of ball, standpoint ninety percent is on contact, rate eighty three percent overall, contact, right and then the two big areas are always going to be, well is he a great bats to ball guy that swings at, everything or is he a great bats of ball guy that doesn't? Chase the ladder is always a much much, safer an exciting. Profile he's the ladder nineteen percent chase rate and already a guy that's chase rate is actually lower against. Spin the other aspect is is he the bat to ball and patient guy that swings a little bit of a wet, noodle or is he the bats to ball guy that surprises you with kind of the frame defying. Pop he's that as. Well he surprises you with how hard he can hit the. Baseball so when you combine those, parts it's almost an impenetrable offensive game where it's, like, okay of, course the biggest drawback will be that he doesn't have enough power to be a, superstar, right, sure but the bat to ball in the approach makes his floor so, high and then the ability to hit the ball harder than you expect at desirable angles pushes the ceiling higher than most hitters of his. Archetype it's an average launch angle of fourteen, degrees it's an airpol of thirty one, percent and an average exilosity of eighty eight miles per hour eighty eight and a half to be, exact which you don't really see from players like, him even ninety one oh five For Charles. Davlin that's above. Average so we're talking about rob power that's at least. Average maybe it takes a little bit of a hit when he faces DOUBLE a competition because he might just be getting his a swing off all the time against HIGH a, competition because he's probably seeing the ball like a beach. Ball numbers would imply. That but when you have a plus bat to ball guy and plus play discipline that is giving you at even average evs with good, angles you can really dream on the offensive profile, here and then you pair that with just the baseball instincts he. Has he's eleven for twelve in the stolen based, department and again he's already snug out seven homers this year in fifty one. Games because of those aforementioned, aspects he looks like a fine. Defender If dablon can prove to be like an average to slightly above average center, fielder then we're talking about a guy that's a rocket. Ship but ULTIMATELY i think he slides over to to left where he's probably you, know it could be an above average defender there if it all works. Out his fringy arm limits him a little. Bit but this is this is just a, really really fun player THAT i just feel so safe about His his game reminds me Of Brendan donovan a, lot and he may not give you quite as much value with the, glove BUT i think he'll give you a lot of value offensively and still give, you you, know enough with the. Glove, YEAH i.
Speaker 3: Think HE'S i, MEAN i, meanwhile he's the fifth best outfield prospect on his own, team which is. Ridiculous you've got five outfielders in The dodgers organ the top seventy With devil unwrapping it out. HERE i, mean that's pretty pretty nutty stuff that he's the fifth best outfield Prospect zona or given all the blowing things you just said about him and broke down, there like he's a really good, prospect and we probably would be hearing about him a lot more if not For Mike zeroda And Hswaya paula and everybody else in that, organization which makes it pretty.
Speaker 2: Crazy it's. Nuts it's, Nuts AND i think we'll start hearing about him more because he's gonna be the kind of guy THAT i think can just move through the minors. Quickly AND i don't think you can rule out average. Pop and if At dablon has average, pop he's a great player for a long. TIME i got him by like fringe. Average but, man that's gonna be fun to monitor.
Speaker 3: There you want you want to hit this breaking news real quick at the very end of the. Episode, yeah, Right we've been sitting.
Speaker 2: On it a little. BIT i thought they were gonna announce it On. Wednesday excited about this guy that we'll talk about in The Biggest rise is actually. NEWCOMER i don't know if we did to describe him as a.
Speaker 3: Newcomer he's on our newcomers technically because it's been OVER i, know but it's been over a.
Speaker 4: Year that's HOW i usually do. It BUT i don't, know it's it's a it's a tough. ONE i don't.
Speaker 2: Know we were. There we were definitely the first top one hundred Was Sta luis law on. It this was years, ago twenty twenty, three maybe even twenty two as. WELL i don't. KNOW i Love Luis LAURA i long. Have he's stalled out a little. Bit we've talked about that in terms of just maybe he's, like, okay maybe looks a little bit more like a fourth. Outfielder and then he emerges this year with just more bat, speed hitting the ball, harder and everything else just continuing to progress where he's the bats of ball guy from both sides that we've always. Seen the approaches continues to get better and he looks like a guy that's gonna win gold gloves and center, field which The brewers have said to me time and time, again so not a surprise that if they think that that sounds like one of the highest four prospects In Major League. Baseball and that's why The brewers And laura have agreed to a seven, year thirty one million dollar ext extension that includes three club options that max is out at seventy nine million. DOLLARS i promise you that. DEAL i shouldn't, promise he. SAYS i feel very confident that that deal will bode well for The. BREWERS i don't think they're going to be kicking themselves on. That shout Out milwaukee two pre debut extensions two AND i think at, one you got to have the balls to do, it but then, two you've got to have the talent to even be able to do. It, yeah And brewers that both of. Those so it's been.
Speaker 4: Cool this stuff is so interesting to me BECAUSE i love the world of.
Speaker 3: Contracts that's to how my brain, works and like the world of the pre. Arbitration the strategy behind it is fascinating to. Me you're getting a guy that, like, yeah you're gonna have to pay a little bit now the next handful of. Years As Luis laura gets into the big leagues and, maybe, yeah you could have been paying him less than million dollars in pre Arm so there is a trade off. There with that comes you bought out his first year of free agency and you have club options for the next Three so if he's above if he's an average starting center fielder at the big league, level you have three years of club options that you can choose whatever you want to do with. Him they've got a similar situation With Cooper, pratt like you give yourself so much flexibility and affordability for players that you think are high floor guys as time goes on and when they get into the prime of their, career you've got the. Direction you can go whichever direction you want to, go as The, brewers and you could have these good players at a cheap deal because you're willing to pay them a little bit at a younger age and get these guys paid because they're young.
Speaker 4: Guys they want money at the end of the. Day they want to get paid.
Speaker 3: Earlier so you get him paid her, earlier and you give yourself so much flexibility and comfort in the long term. Future if these guys pan out the way that The brewers think they're going to they probably.
Speaker 2: Will IT'S i, mean this is how teams like The brewers keep their players. Right AND i love. It you got to roll the dice a little bit With laura's, abilities and now with the improved quality of, contact he's going to BE i really feel confident in like THE i they't even had it in the right. Up i'm, like the worst worst case scenario is like guys that still reach free, agency like even like A Kyle, Isbell like that's the guy that got. RUN i think that's like if everything goes terribly like if he just does not do anything the way you thought he, WOULD i think he's still gonna be able to accumulate that one to one and a half. War BUT i think it's a really easy path to three war for a player like Last, laura given the bats a ball and now the improved, impact and we've seen it shine through in a place that's hard to hit In. Nashville so very fun times for The brewers and their. Fans and they've got some higher some of the highest Paid TRIPLE a. Players now no one's beating The Red sox and then the Wo socks in that regard right, now but for different Reason nash that they're invested in That nashville team and it's been really fun to. Watch SO i think we See lara soon, TOO i Think. PRATT i don't. KNOW i think we See laura Before. PRATT i that's an interesting. TAKE i.
Speaker 3: THINK i don't know IF i would agree with that month, ago but now the way it's trended the last month or, TWO i don't think that's crazy at.
Speaker 4: All oh, man you got me there with the loo so.
Speaker 2: Take that was good.
Speaker 4: Stuff but, no that's. Great always fun reacting news, live that's always a good. Time so there was a newcomers, episode but you got a little breaking news at the top.
Speaker 2: And the end of The, yeah both both, bookends so that was a lot of. Fun as, always thank you for. Listening we are going to continue to break this down all. Week if you're catching us On balley as, well come check us out on YouTube for the other episodes as, well since we're whipping out four this, week and we will share the screen on the future episodes so you can see the player grades prospect grades as. Well wanted to join the, discord would love to have you in there or join our breaks or. BOTH i would love to hang out with you. Guys both links are in the episode. Description we will see you. Tomorrow