Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: I wanted to ask, so one of the people on the court is Emmett. Emmett had helped build some other shelters. You may not know are most There are three camps, maybe David schattis with you, similar to the one that you were in. There were three in different locations. Some of them are even colder than the one that you stayed in. And volunteers including myself included. Emmett had built shelters. Emmet, perhaps you could describe like how you sort of decided to do that and came up with the shelter design that you came up with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, And I just just want to say I'm processing also amost is also hearing your story and appreciating, like for all of us coming to build shelters, it's it's realizing there's all these stories that weird are not knowing, and you know, all of us are these lives that are so independent individual and showing up and meeting folks who have been through whatever they have been and uh, it.
Speaker 4: Like does it does stuff to us? All? You know? And I think I'm hearing you right now.
Speaker 3: I'm just really processing kind of what you're saying, and I hope many people here how you're framing all this. Guys really appreciate how you're framing the story and how you're sharing both your perspective but also what it means to just be confused, to think for some for for me, like I've I felt so even after many years of working in this space, just so confused by how or by how CVP is treating people in.
Speaker 4: The in the oas at least in this desert right now.
Speaker 3: But uh, basically it's winter time now in in California, and for the last several months people have been kept overnight in the desert on in the borderlands, which has been brutal, and it has been terrible, and and and any humane.
Speaker 4: Have for cped to keep people of the desert.
Speaker 3: But as it became winter, it became deadly and the risk of extreme hypothermia events for for hundreds of people became so severe that a lot of.
Speaker 4: A lot of our you know, day in day out, UH.
Speaker 3: Work to making sure people will had food and if there were babies that they were taking care of as needed, or if if folks had specific health issues that we could show it for them. But but the thought of just doing that and hope, you know, bringing as many blankets as we could. Uh, We're bringing up blankets and tents and tarps things keep people off the ground, you know, basically looking in our basements and asking all of our friends like, hey, we're looking behind every gas station for for for for boxes of cardboard or whatever it is. But that just didn't seem enough. It didn't. It seemed like we were actually doing a harm to be to be the ones who had seen this and something we deal with israelizing. There's so many folks who just don't know what's going on. So for us to be a community seeing this and not not taking to the next the next level and still I feel this way.
Speaker 4: But it felt like we were not doing or we were doing a harm by not by.
Speaker 3: Not kind of addressing the winter as it was happening. So the idea of building shelters was was to try to basically do do something more than just bringing out supplies and letting people you know, vent for themselves, but creating something that might actually create more of a long term safety. And then again, I mean this is this is these are detention sites. We are we are working as volunteers inside of a basically informal detention site that CBP is operating. So it's a very confusing for us to know, you know, we're here trying to be with people directly, trying to see what people are wanting and needing and what is their their needs, but we're also kind of navigating around this very erratic system that is sometimes denying us entry to these sites, sometimes trying to have us do things for them, and other times kind of allowing us to be there and you know, you know, bringing food because it serves them, serves VP for us to keep people alive. But that's a really confusing process. So anyways, there was a lot of talk going on about making shelters, and people have been assembling palts, and one day I was just talking with some of the other organizers and they're thinking, well, let's do this.
Speaker 4: I'll come back tomorrow and we will start.
Speaker 3: And so with with some volunteers from the Dollar Lunch Club from U SEE San Diego, we set out and to the campsite we call Tower one seven seven and started building this and immediately kind of as you're saying, also Amost, we had about a team of ten people from Columbia and Kyrghyzstan helping us build this this shelter from from palettes, cardboard, plastic, sheeting, tarts and James and myself and some other folks had been talking the night before what are the different shelters and using all of our outdoor experience, worlderness experience and kind of putting it all together and having kind of a roundtable discussion like well, I've seen this work before, I've I've done this before. I mean, this might work, it might be, this might be a nice way of using these palettes, trying to find something that I'll be stable to, uh, you know withstand wind conditions.
Speaker 4: It being kind of you know, resource smart, making.
Speaker 3: Sure we're not over using whatever would we have, and some sort of super intricate design, and also something that we could we could assemble quite quickly and would be versatile, so some thing we could do in different different settings, and also building something and building a design that wouldn't wouldn't be super hard for people to use. So yeah, so it just felt like we were kind of just like kind of putting putting herds together, and that's what we came up with was basically this super shelter that was has basically a backbone of six palettes and maybe I don't know, James, it's possible to like some some photos or whatnot, but putting together basically great, right, Yeah, some sort of ur like structure that can be kind of designed or can be changed as it wouldn't be and especially something that anybody who's using it gets to actually have mimic their own their own home, their own setup. So it's not something that we're kind of dictating how it needs to be used. But yeah, we've got had a really positive experience and a lot of expertise from folks from from Kyrgyzstan to kind of lead the way. So we brought tools and other folks who were you going to use it basically created them Google shelter.
Speaker 4: Themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that was that was that was our first experience and yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Most his point was really a good one and it's one i'd consider too, like it it's quite Yeah, I don't want to compare the difficulties we encounter as volunteers to the difficulties almost has just encountered, has just kind of shared with us in his journey, because they're not the same, but like it can be quite different. I speak quite a few languages, but still with alge groups of people who you can't speak to, and do you want to connect? You want to be like, what's happening to you is it's it's disgusting and disgraceful, and it's not me. I'm I don't want it to happen, and it shouldn't be. And I want to be in community with you as much as I can. And so when we don't have that language, the way that we can connect, one of the ways that we can connect is to grab a hammer or it screwdriver or something and start building something.
Speaker 5: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 6: You're so right. You're so right, James, you are so uppointed. No, I mean, you know, it's.
Speaker 1: Just seeing that that real Bi drill was like heaven to me. I mean, I swear not to give you know, any brands or whatever. I'm just saying, it's not it's not it's not my favorite brand for sure, But but but you really really, I mean truly like you guys say, I mean, it's just such a universal sort of language.
Speaker 5: Like as men and.
Speaker 1: As women and as people, we want to build, we want to protect, we want we want to I mean I'm taking this journey to come to my kids and show them support and safety and protect and it's happening, you know right now I'm talking. I was talking to them earlier, and you know, they're excited to see their dad soon.
Speaker 5: And you know, it's just that that feeling of warmth. And I mean, this is what we do, what we do.
Speaker 1: And then if you want to narrow it down and break it down to the basics, it's just what it is.
Speaker 5: It's the human level, it's the human condition.
Speaker 1: I mean really, so these guys are going to go through this pain for what I mean, clearly they're going through you know, worse, worser things.
Speaker 5: And then that's the whole point. That's what they're trying to do.
Speaker 1: So and then, uh, before I forget and then I don't hope, I hope my phone doesn't, you know, die on me. Let me just give you the detention. If you guys have a minute, let me give you yeah. Yeah, so before I you know, so basically on I think it was Monday. We we we uh get rounded up to what is can easily be compared to the cattle I wrench cattle kind of process where you know, here take off your your your belt and everything that's familiar, but you know there's a little extra. The bus driver is cussing at you like it's nobody's business and and and you know, gratuitous humiliation.
Speaker 5: And you know, maybe you have one of them.
Speaker 1: Is nice, but the rest are just you know, absolutely want to just tear you down as much as they can. And anyhow, so we're lined up, we're onto this bus that's behind the camp closer.
Speaker 5: To Highway eighty I believe Highway eighty, yes, yeah, and uh uh.
Speaker 1: And basically we're lined up, we're tagged, we're uh, basically stripped of everything that could be quote unquote dangerous. We're left with only one shirt in the middle of that cold morning and uh doesn't matter. A man, doesn't matter, man, women, everybody is treated as saying I appreciate their their quality on that issue.
Speaker 5: Uh So, and then we are on a bus journey.
Speaker 1: That's about an hour and a half, maybe two hours any more to the uh send.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to remember this very well because it's just, you know, it's important. I guess San Diego.
Speaker 1: Uh the San Diego Sorting Facility, San Diego District.
Speaker 5: Sorting Facility, a K A M c U. That's what we call it. And basically, uh, you know.
Speaker 1: Your your stuff is sorted and anything that needs to be thrown with a thrown away. And you're given you become a Let me be clear, you become a subject. You're a subject. Now, you're not an alien. You're a subject. James, make sure you understand this. You're a subject, sir. Let's be clear about the naming structure. You are a subject.
Speaker 5: All right. So I'm given a subject number and yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't believe in this day and age, I got used to the whole alien thing, you know, alien number, but now it's a subject number. So anyhow, so we're done. We're going through that.
Speaker 5: And then you you know, you just look at people and.
Speaker 1: The daisiness and confusion and confusion elders, women, babies.
Speaker 5: This is heart taking.
Speaker 1: And again you have a couple of military border performance toll and acting like they're in the Marine Corps. They're just shouting up the right and they're like, you know, treating people that they were disposable.
Speaker 5: So that's right there.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Anyhow, so that's the they call it the intake. So you're you're doing the intake, and you're lined up and you're being stripped, not striptured, searched. You're searched, and then your your backpack is taking away. You open it up in front of them as if you were at the airport, and then they throw away stuff.
Speaker 5: That's that, even though they're not what's crazy is there.
Speaker 1: The backpack is going to be zipped and they're gonna be tagged and put away. So I'm not sure why thrown away food from the backpack is going to add anything or you.
Speaker 5: Know, some things don't make sense, but I guess that's what it is. So then you're you're you're done with the intake.
Speaker 1: You sit down inside the central area and you're waiting to be processed.
Speaker 5: Processing means fingerprints, picture.
Speaker 1: And then you're right down they take a copy of your passport and in there you write down the address in which you will be.
Speaker 5: Quote unquote released later on.
Speaker 1: So that's that, and then basically a couple of hours later, you're assigned a detention cell. It's not it's a big place and it's not a cell like a small cell. It's probably I don't know, twenty by I don't know. I'm bad with that business. But any of the point is we're there, we're taking to this place. I don't know, James, so I don't know what you think of this. So so they don't put handcuffs on us, but they tell you to put your hands behind your back as you're walking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very strange.
Speaker 1: I don't understand what's the point of that. Like they insist of putting your hands as if they were handcuffed behind your back as you walk. It as as you're walking. That is a big rule. And if you don't do it, they get pissed at you. And I'm not gonna at you. I'm always testing the water, and I pissed them off a number of times.
Speaker 5: I did put my hands forward because I'm like, what what are you trying to get to? You know? Anyhow, so you get into your cell.
Speaker 1: Mine was two A right, two A yeah.
Speaker 5: Pod. I'm sorry, it's called they called pods pods. Yeah, yeah, yeah, because you.
Speaker 1: Know we're we're into share what is it work share spaces Basically, pods.
Speaker 5: Said, yeah, we work here, we go, we work. So we were there, you're.
Speaker 1: Giving gym mats gym mats and then you know when we when when we all put our gym mats on the floor. Imagine there is zero space in between, Like the whole pod is covered with gym mass. Now you have to walk on gym mats basically anywhere you go. All right, So that's that's the fact. And then you're giving these what do you call them. There's the not thermos, the alloy foil blankets, whatever.
Speaker 2: We have blankets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thank you. Yeah, those guys, and they do kind of work. But for me, they're too small. I mean, I guess I'm a tall guy. I mean, I don't know. So either your foots are sticking out or your head is sticking out or whatever.
Speaker 5: And I'm not the only one. That's a lot of people like that.
Speaker 1: So and then AC is blasting full speed twenty four to seven light, full bright light twenty four seven and yeah, and then a lot of you know, again they teach this in school and psychology want to want so light twenty four to seven, AC freezing a c we're only allow of the shirt one shirt, one shirt.
Speaker 5: And then I'm.
Speaker 1: Talking about probably they have it on fifty five sixty, sixty sixty, no more than sixty degrees for sure, all right, and then you have people cold and getting sick.
Speaker 5: And then they cleaned.
Speaker 1: Three times a day to their credits where we all have to get out so the cleaning crew can come in.
Speaker 5: But here's the key.
Speaker 1: They clean at eight in the morning, at five in the at five in the afternoon, and at midnight.
Speaker 2: You can't sleep.
Speaker 5: Come on, dude, really seriously.
Speaker 1: And God forbid you ask. God forbid you ask, because that's just not allowed, you know. So midnight, exactly midnight sharp, get out people.
Speaker 5: Everybody sleep, everybody sleep, get up, get up, get up, get out, and there's no again. It's it's it's you know, we know these tactics. We read about these This is like, you know, torture in a way. You know. I bet you somewhere in the Geneva convention there's something about this. I'm sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so, you know, I didn't want to create too much drama the first day, James. The second day I started testing the water. I'm like, you know, I'm being nice to everybody. Nobody speaks English, so I have to kind of speak up for people. You know, some people need to go medicine, I mean, you know, medicine or whatever.
Speaker 5: I speak for them whatever.
Speaker 1: And then some people are just don't understand when their name is called for it because it's misspelled.
Speaker 5: So I'll help for.
Speaker 1: That, you know, in general, like you know, I literally would walk around and ask for extra blankets and things like that.
Speaker 5: It's all of being doing.
Speaker 1: I hope the video will come out that we're doing a few Freedom of Information Act requests, so hopefully we can get that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, hopefully we'll share that with you. I mean it takes.
Speaker 1: I mean they're gonna fight at tooth and nay, they're gonna.
Speaker 5: Fight at tooth and nail.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, exactly, thank you, thank you exactly. Sonyhow So, Yeah, after the second day.
Speaker 5: Again, they give you food, I mean food, I guess food. Yeah, they give you food.
Speaker 1: The second day, I started asking the question, Okay, when am I going to get my phone call? The first person said, oh, I'll pass on to your request. By the end of the day, I've asked like three four times to three four different people. So the pods area is manned supervised by DSS police, and then the processing in the central area is done by VP and BP and Customs and DSS hate each other. I mean, that's just clear. They told me that to my face. They don't get along all right.
Speaker 5: Right, So.
Speaker 1: When you were talking to DSS police, because they're the one kind of the prison guards, they just don't then talk to VP, they don't convey the information that you're as a prisoner there.
Speaker 5: So that's been difficult.
Speaker 1: So you would want to ask to go to the nurse or something, so on the way you can try to pass on in flne sony know, so I kind of located it to it. And then on the second day, I asked three times I need my phone call.
Speaker 5: They came out and told me, you're crazy. We don't do phone calls. Stop asking.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me I'm a us soil I you know, I don't get to see the outdoor twenty four to seven, and you don't let me make a call to my lawyer or family.
Speaker 5: And that's when I just lost my my ship. So that by the end of the second.
Speaker 1: Day, I entered into a hunger strike. Wow, my body shut yeah, my body shut down completely. My body shut down completely. People were that that known me to be constantly active. I do I do yoga, I do I did yoga.
Speaker 5: Did you know?
Speaker 1: People will started following me doing activities and trying to be sharp. Uh you know, stay sharp. They saw me shut down completely. I didn't I didn't eat or drink anything. I mean completely, I shut down everything, all systems of board.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 1: So so right away my eyes are closed. The next day they start freaking out.
Speaker 5: They're bringing the wheelchair.
Speaker 1: But before they you know, just to let you know, before they put me on the wheelchair with a baton, they're just hammering me to make sure this is real, their hammer.
Speaker 5: I still have bruises, I still have like a red dot on my chest, you know what I mean. So so yeah, I mean, you know, the kindness of their heart. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Again, they're very hateful because of where they are and what's going on. So yeah, so uh yeah, So I'm taking to the nurse. The nurse tells me what's going on. I thought her, Look, my body has shut down. My wife and kids don't know where I'm at. They don't know if I'm live or death or dead, and I just can't eat or drink or anything. Listen, sir, it's okay if you don't want to eat, but you have to drink well at least water, or we're gonna put the IV. We can give you IV or medical or untie, the presence or anti anxiety medicine. Listen, lady, I've never had them time at the present, or medication. I rarely take medication. I would not have medication. That is not an option. I don't want the IVY. I don't want you to touch my body.
Speaker 5: Period.
Speaker 1: I am this is me fully where what the consequences are?
Speaker 5: And unless I get a hold of my Laura or call my.
Speaker 1: Family and tell them that I'm alive or where I'm at, this is gonna go. Last time I did this, I did it for four or five days, no problem. So they started freaking out. James there really they called the big guns.
Speaker 5: I think he was a lieutenant or whatever the ranking is. He came in, listen, what's going on? What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: They can't be doing this in my house again, my house. The guy owns the place, all right. So I'm like, listen, yeah, I'm done. If you don't give me my call, expect me to do this for the I'll go to the end. I've done this against corrupt governments and when I was arrested in Tunisia or whatever.
Speaker 5: I can do this all day long, man, all day long. So he's like you can't do this. This is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I have eighteen hundred people here. You're going to start a problem. I don't want problems here. So he takes me straight up to the central area, put me in front of phone. Give me the phone number. I give him the phone number. He does my wife bam, bam, shazam.
Speaker 5: I call her. They were still asleep at seven in the morning. They have school at a thirty. So I live her a voicemail.
Speaker 1: I later found out that she did get the voicemail, thank god, and then she felt really good when she heard my voice and she knew what got you?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Tell you man, you know, it's just a no man's land and it's just and dude. When when I got to talk to the supervisor, when I escalated because they took my DNA, like what I told him, Look, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Why are you taking people's DNA? Like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: I told him, like, what are you accusing us for? Like what is the accusation exactly? He said, You're not accused of anything, and what am I guilty of? You're not guilty of anything, So why are you taking my DNA? And then when he's just because this is the guy, the main guy, this is the guy that I saw coming in in the intake and then laid on an outcake. He's got like twenty screens in front of him, he's manning the border. He's like, you know, it's the main guy. Like I said, it's him.
Speaker 5: So I told him, do you have your DNA? Your own DNA? Taking? He said yes, I did. Okay, I told him if your DNA was taken and you can take mine, that's fine.
Speaker 1: So they're taking people's DNA to put it in the database, and if you don't sign, they don't let you.
Speaker 5: They don't let you out. So you can stay there indefinitely until you do your DNA. How is this okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And you're not guilty of anything, James. You're not gilty of anything. That's the key. So you're not guilty of anything.
Speaker 1: I mean, I understand if you're arrested for a misdemeanor or a felony.
Speaker 5: And you know, you know in states they take the DNA, I get it.
Speaker 1: But if you're there's no accusation, there's no guilty, And yet you're taking my DNA for what for what?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: So so it was really rough. It was really rough, and they were very very nasty. I mean, one lady, miss Diaz, I will never forget her, Officer DEAs. I mean, she was cussing left and right, left and right, left and right, and then I lost it, man, when I when when she had me for I think they had me do.
Speaker 5: Sign papers again? All right?
Speaker 1: So I was simply asking, why am I saying signing the same papers again?
Speaker 5: Do you want to leave? What do you want to leave? Do you want to leave? What you want to leave?
Speaker 1: And then on the same time, James, as she talks to me, she pauses, she looks at her colleagues, and she's smiling to them, and she's talking to them so nice.
Speaker 5: I simply told he, look, why are you talking nicely to your friends and you're so mean to us that? Why why are you doing this? Like?
Speaker 1: What is what is the problem? Did I did I? Did I call your names? Did I say something bad?
Speaker 5: No? But you're not my friend. Yeah. But even if I'm not your friend, why are you cussing at me? Why are you saying these bad things? That shuts her down? That totally shut out down, James. I mean, it was a.
Speaker 1: Completely different person after that, because it was in front of her boss.
Speaker 5: It was in front of her boss.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm telling you, man, they're just this is what happens when you have zero accountability zero. I mean, anybody, this is basic fruit in understanding of psychology one O one that if you give someone ultimate power, they're going to take advantage.
Speaker 5: And you know, I don't know what to tell you, man. I feel bad for the people in that attention because you know, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not saying they're being tortured, but it's just a you know, the little drops of water on your head, Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, the little you know, after a while, you can turns out. So there's one guy from Russia that was there for three weeks, wow, three weeks.
Speaker 1: There's one guy from Brazil that was there for a week. Come on, man, I mean seriously, like that's too much.
Speaker 5: Yes, too much.
Speaker 2: So that's crazy.
Speaker 5: You know, that was horrific.
Speaker 1: And then when I was leaving, uh, I found out that they put the wrong address on my release form. And you know, I don't know if you know anything about the US immigration bureaucracy, James, it is horrific. It is horrific. All it takes is the one the wrong digit in the address, they send the paperwork to the wrong address.
Speaker 5: Oh, we did it, we sent it. We don't care. We don't care, you know what I mean. And then you're basically waiting all your life. And then that's pretty much what happened to me before when I was in the United States.
Speaker 1: And then you know, they don't care always to take it up with the with the US Postal Postal Service.
Speaker 5: Are you serious? Like you know he was going to put someone in jail and because he sent them the wrong address.
Speaker 1: Anyhow so, anyhow so I came back from the bus, the buses loaded, we're leaving. I came back to look, you got you know, you got the wrong address here, Like, you know, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Do you want to leave? What do you want to stay? Do you want to leave?
Speaker 1: That's all that's all they talk about. It's like a favor she's doing. It's not like a law thing. It's not the pro due process. No, no, I'll be more than happy to stick you in there because you complain about it. That a mistake that we made on your form.
Speaker 2: It's just yeah, the whole thing, it's it's just just don't need to make it as cruel and as hard and people of people have died in the outdoor attention in another site, not the place where you were in San Diego, right like, And it's a tragedy and it it doesn't have to happen, and it doesn't have to be disandignified. And yeah, I didn't. I think maybe people will have disagreements about the immigration, the different immigration laws, and they might feel differently to the way I do what you do, David do, But I don't think anyone in their right mind would really justify the way you've been treated. And you can multiply that by thousands, right, and you're fortunate enough to be in relatively good health and not too young or not too old or not sick for this to be a deadly trip or right. And still it's obviously had a massive effect on you. And I can understand why, I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm having a little bit of nightmares againest with you, because what bugs me the most is those kids.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then on top of it, it's overwhelming because I was thrust in a position where sadly, I mean, I had to pick up for a lot of people. I mean, you know, yes, it's my family tragedy, I mean is an issue. But I mean, you know, I don't want to talk too much about what I did in Tunisia, but I was standing up against corruption and against bribery and things like that, and it costed me a lot of problems. And it cost me, I mean, being in a blacklist in a government that's ever going negatively.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm jailing activists and jailing for speech.
Speaker 1: It said that that Tunisia, the home of the Arab spring now is turning into another dictator ship sadly, so you know, I didn't want to use that as a reason, but I mean it is what ruined my personal life because I was constantly being you know, harassed and pushed and shopped by Dunesian you know, ay holes.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then here I am to find myself and you know, like with a Dejah who kind of feeling with these gratuities themselves for nothing, So that that kind of triggered me a lot big time.
Speaker 5: James and uh uh. And then I felt like, you know, what is life worth? I mean, I know I'm coming from my kids near the love of my.
Speaker 1: Life and and then my wife as well, but you know, I want them to remember their dad as someone.
Speaker 5: Who sticks up for fathers and you know the.
Speaker 1: You know, James, the the most difficult part were was David mentioned the Persian.
Speaker 5: Guys running guys.
Speaker 1: You know, I got annoyed a little bit, James, because they were really lining up behind me and holding my hand, begging me to help them get out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and because I'm the only one that.
Speaker 1: Spoke the language, and it felt like, you know, they didn't have any recourse and the detention center.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna let you, James. That was very difficult. It was very difficult.
Speaker 1: That was very I felt like when I was leaving, I was leaving friends, brothers, brothers behind, and.
Speaker 5: That stuck with me. Dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a few people specifically that really really, really really was.
Speaker 5: Stuck on me. And uh, it's just, uh, what is this world before? What are we doing all this poor? It was a genuine decent human being. This country needs as many workers and as many new citizens as possible. Instead of just shoving these people with hatred, just align them, just give them a chance, just rehab, just kind of make sure they know the langualges they do all this and be good. They all want to work, they all want to be good. Nobody that I met there is into drugs or anything. You know. It's just it sucks because it's not you. It's not shooting you yourself on the foot. It doesn't make sense. And I really felt really sad and on a.
Speaker 1: On a lighter note, getting into eventually released and getting on the bus and going to the Central uh the Central Elementary.
Speaker 5: I believe its call.
Speaker 1: And I just got out of the bus and I can hear the voices.
Speaker 5: Everybody is calling. I'm like, it's getting dark and I can't see. I can't see the people.
Speaker 1: But I found like at least twenty or eighteen people that I that were with me there and they were like they were crying and they were like thank you, thank you, thank you, and uh, you know, it was it was. It was really hard woman. It really was really hard woman. And I appreciate that the that they recognized what we did. We tried to do a bunch of more Italians, Colombians, Mexicans, Ecuadorians, Uh, I mean, you name it. It was just a Turkish, uh An older gentleman, Iranian, the Iranians, the same Iranians that that that that I helped get onto the bus from from Willow the same guys. Eventually all I found them Central and it was really nice to see them and for them to just literally jump on me most and tell me thank you in so many languages.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that. So I just hope all this, this.
Speaker 1: This, this kind of get somewhere where they understand that it doesn't have to be this way. It really doesn't. And we're not asking. I'm not asking either get more people or do this. I'm just saying there is little tweaks that are not meant to increase the integration or or make it impossible or anything.
Speaker 5: It's just little tweaks to, you know, to get this system a little better, that's all. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make it a little kinder. And I think like it's always that way, right, Like it's people helping each other even when the government doesn't help them, and like, yeah, yeah we just got use. I was there yesterday that that all the shelters at one of the sites were torn down, so like it's we'll have to go back and build them again. But yeah, yeah, people will pick because I think we all at least, or let's hear, I think people should be treated with dignity and that they deserve a little better than their being given currently. And have you been able to reunite with your your children yet or is that so in your future?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's it's uh technically on Thursday, I suppose you're not with them. I am getting there on steps. I'm financially not viable right now. I'm relying on some friends to who got me up to Los Angeles right now, and then we're collecting money for gas and uh my wife Lauren will be coming down on Thursday with the kids, and then we're gonna go to her mom's in Lancaster for a Christmas party that she does, and then from there we'll make it back up to Pisonal. And in this move, my wife was sheltering in uh at her sisters. But the house is overcrowded and there's no way I can stay there. I'll be That's something that I'm trying to figure out and where to stay. And I don't have friends up there and don't have anything. Uh, So that's uh, it's a problem that I'm having to deal with. And at the same time, I was given April twelve as a court date uh and by Nis and I have to.
Speaker 5: Deal with a lawyer to contact the lawyers, and they're expensive.
Speaker 1: The pro bono lawyers uh that we called, uh, they don't take they're not taking new cases.
Speaker 5: So it's.
Speaker 1: I knew it was going to be difficult, but when you're in it and it's uh, you think that will be kind of a little better. But it's definitely not looking good. But you know, it'll be close to my kids somehow, and that's what matters to me. But it's just a struggle. I was a Congressmanship of Plase. I mean, what kind of resources you have for immigrants. I just need a little bit of a you know, start so I can get back on my feet. And they kept them in touch since I was in Africa through the trip. They're the only congress office that at least interacted with us, me and my wife. But you know, she looked at me from from behind the glass door and she said good luck. She sent me the county Immigrant Affairs office, uh, you know linked.
Speaker 5: And she told me good luck and then uh and said bye bye, and that's all that she did.
Speaker 1: So it's uh, it's tiring and not giving up, of course, but it's just it's very difficult change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's yeah, it shouldn't be this hard. It's complicated, or this taxing, especially in your family here already.
Speaker 5: I'm just trying to be I don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, my wife is on welfare and they keep cutting her welfare smaller and smaller, just you.
Speaker 5: Know, two kids.
Speaker 1: I just need a chance to get up the back on my feet and be a good father to work.
Speaker 5: And I can't work right now. I'm not allowed to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I have to find money, money for the lawyer.
Speaker 5: I have to find money for me and my kids.
Speaker 1: It's really quite a humbling experience. And I know I don't want to rely on anybody, but I mean.
Speaker 5: It's just it's just it's hard. It's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no it is. And like I don't know how people are expected to pay for their legal representation when they're also expected not to work. It's just it's a system that seems to design to be as cruel and complicated as possible.
Speaker 1: Yet you know, the jobs are available, The jobs are available, James. I mean I contacted about four or five places. My previous work experience in LA and California was logistics and parental and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: I told my previous bosses.
Speaker 1: They all told me, come more work, you know, get your steps up figured out and come over.
Speaker 5: We'll find a job. So we have plenty of vacancies basically, I mean you know so uh but you know here, you are here, you are there, you are Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then like it's it's I've heard so many of these stories. But and then stop upsetting me. And I'm glad in a way because you know they're bad and they shouldn't. They should be upsetting to everyone who is and I'm sure everyone who is this will want to do whatever they can to make this a little easier. And then, like any orgs or nonprofits that have been helping you since you've got in the US, so you think.
Speaker 5: People should oh man, nothing nothing. I mean it's been you know those who call.
Speaker 1: Very Shan trick as far as Asian, very Kens or this or that is very specific.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the time of everyone, it's I'm telling you, no joke.
Speaker 1: And if you're a father trying to make it to your kids and trying to you know what I mean, do right by your kids.
Speaker 5: Doesn't mean anything, nothing, absolutely nothing.
Speaker 1: So that's terrible.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the first Christmas. This is the first Christmas for the kids outside of their where they grew up. I really wanted to make it as family friendly and happy as possible, but I don't even have the capacity to give them gifts or anything, or or or even.
Speaker 5: I don't know. This is gonna be.
Speaker 4: Hard, Yeah man, it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah man. Sorry, that's that's okay.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm just I'm just a drop in an ocean of of of the spare when it comes to immigrants, and I'm getting messages from some of them in New York, some of them in UH North Carolina, some of them in UH and in Illinois, a couple in California. I mean, they're they're still desperate for help, and especially with language and all that. So you know, I'm grinding and they're doing the best I can. But you know, it's a reality check. It's a reality check joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's it's it's really. I mean, it's sickening how quickly you can be like kind and nothing when the state doesn't care about you. But I want to thank you so much for giving us your story and your time and being so open with us, because I think that's the only way that this stuff changes is that people here like number numbers are great and and your story is one of tens of thousands, but I think sometimes we need to hear individual stories to understand true, the human impact.
Speaker 5: Of this true, true, true, And like we'll stay in touch.
Speaker 2: You have my phone number. Anything you need, anything we can do for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I can't. I can't wait to come down to the border. I'm not giving up on the border, dude, I'm not. I want to bring at some point my kids to see the price, and then I want to contribute.
Speaker 5: I want to find a way to give back. I want to. I know I can't do it right now, but I send my.
Speaker 1: Mom in my mind, and I know I'm not going to give up on that, on that on that dream of coming back there and continue to help with the volunteers.
Speaker 2: That's very kind of Yeah, well when you come down that me know, bring some ray tools and we can we can build some sounds.
Speaker 5: Good sounds, good fun.
Speaker 4: I mean, so I'm just like I'm just for processing. Yeah, me too, for processing this.
Speaker 3: And like hearing Amos say all this is like fuck, like that's that's the conversation right, just with what he's saying in his accountability is human nature. Like something in the way that he was saying that, I was like taking a piles on everything that I want to just share because I really like it hit to the core of like my own frustration with our response is it's not getting to the point that like what he was what he was saying other words right now to say that my mind is now totally much.
Speaker 2: Well ended there. I do want to give both of you a chance to plug any and all organizations so you think can help, and because the people will get to listen to this will break up to two parks. People will want to alleviate the suffering, and there are people, including yourselves and myself, trying to do that. So if there's an organization that you'd like to plug, fundraiser you'd like to plug, please do well.
Speaker 7: Just the way the conversation ended, the thing that I was thinking is you know, just a you know, anybody listening to the to what Amos has said, just one one very small but perhaps a meaningful thing would be to do something to enable him to buy some presents for his kids.
Speaker 4: I think that would be pretty cool.
Speaker 6: M m m m m m