Speaker 1: This is our American stories. In nineteen thirteen, the Sixteenth Amendment was passed and Woodrow Wilson became president. But tragedy also struck the Great Lakes. Here's our own Monte Montgomery with more on that event.
Speaker 2: In sixteen seventy nine, the Great Lakes were changed forever for the first time as Lesals Griffin departed from Port, becoming the first ship to ever sail on the Great Lakes. And in eighteen forty one, the Lakes were yet again changed when the Vandalia set sail, the first propeller driven ship to do so. An industry took off, and by nineteen thirteen the Great Lakes had become a major and still developing transportation hub. Here's Rick Mixer of Lake Fury with more.
Speaker 3: That in nineteen thirteen, we're talking about a mix of different types of transportation on the lakes. The sail was still somewhat viable. Most of those old sailing vessels, the schooners, had been turned into barges and were being towed by the more efficient steamers that didn't have to wait for the winds to be correct. But there were no highways at that time, so everything had to be moved, especially these amazing commodities we have on the Great Lakes, coal, iron ore, grain, All of this stuff was moved in huge amounts, bulk amounts on these freighters and barges. There were literally thousands of ships on the Great Lakes, hundreds that were regularly being used, many that were also laid up. It would go by the flow of how much iron ore needed to be moved, or later in the season, as you got the grain cargoes coming in, the coal that had to be stocked up for the winter time, so you'd see more ships come out. And many of those ships weren't in perfect condition. They were whatever could float. They could get these cargoes in before the lakes froze up and then all that commerce stopped. There weren't a lot of safety regulations. I mean, the ultimate safety is in the captain himself. He makes the call that will bring his ship and his crew in. Every one of the captains on the Great Lakes are the most experienced meteorologist. I would replace anyone on television with a ship captain because their lives literally depend on their ability to be able to read the storm. But there were bonuses and incentives that sometimes helped to fight against that common sense that put many of these ships on the bottom.
Speaker 2: And on November sixth, nineteen thirteen, those incentives were working against the better judgment of many captains trying to get one last run in before the end of the season. For large storm was brewing on the Great Lakes, a storm that would go down in history as the big blow for simply the nineteen thirteen storm.
Speaker 3: The nineteen thirteen storm is one of the few storms where we had a dozen ships lost with all hands everybody vanished. We don't see that very often on hurricanes, much less on the Great Lakes. And we also had storms and especially snow that paralyzed many of the largest cities on the Great Lakes, including Cleveland. So now couple that with the fact that today we're still missing three of those wrecks. We don't know where they're at, actually leads into an amazing story that I think it still is interesting to tell today. The nineteen thirteen storm really started off of Lake Michigan, and as it swept up it devastated two wrecks that were there, the Louisiana, which was actually a vessel that made it into the safety of Washington, Bay on Washington Island, and it met up with the Halstead that had already been pushed ashore, and the crew would have been fine except some kind of a lantern or something fell over to cause fire on board and they had to abandon ship. So the Louisiana burned right to the waterline right there as one of the first casualties of the nineteen thirteen storm. Then just north of there, that's where the Plymouth vanished, was seven Lives being towed by a very underpowered tug. The Plymouth was one of the vessels that was empty when it was lost. It was going up to the straits of Mackinaw to pick up a cargo of cedar posts, and it was pulled by a very small tug called the James Martin. There was a bunch of legal disputes that were happening with the company that was actually ordering the logs, the Hubal Company. This was to the point of them actually libeling the ship, meaning they put a lawsuit against the Plymouth, and the only way to protect it, to make sure that they wouldn't be scuttled for insurance or somehow damaged, you know, to protect their interest, they moved an under sheriff who became a US marshal, and Chris Keenan came on board the ship to guard it. They were towing from Menominee and they got up around the islands. The storm hit and it came out of the south at first, so they moved around Saint Martin's Island and had dinner there and basically had everybody aboard the Plymouth where there was more room. And once the storm exposed their safe harbor, where now it's coming out of the north and starting to build to sixty miles an hour, they all jumped onto their respective ships. And they asked Keenan if he wanted to come on board the tug and he thought his chances were better on the Plymouth. He said, no, I'll stay on board this. He knew the ship had been rebuilt, it had just been recockt They really thought, because it was larger, that that would be the safer vessel. But as they pulled through the straits and they got just below Poverty Island, a massive storm hit them. At sixty miles an hour. The tugboat had to order the schooner to drop its anchor, a three thousand pound anchor to lock it into place so they could take off and reach safety. There was just no way they could pull through those waves. Afterwards, they came back to find the plymouth, and they found nothing, but later on a bottle washed ashore and man of Steem and eventually Chris Keenan's body. The bottle spelled out exactly what had happened during that horrible storm, and.
Speaker 2: The message in the bottle was written by Keenan, the unlucky Marshall.
Speaker 3: He wrote, Dear wife and children, we were left here by McKinnon, the owner of the tug Martin. He never said goodbye or anything to us. Basically, they laid out that they lost another man during the night and that the Hubole company owed him thirty five dollars. So it was this note of just tragedy, of this despair of being lost, but also enough to tell his family, hey, by the way Hubel owes money.
Speaker 2: And as it turns out, messages and bottles weren't that rare in nineteen thirteen, or the stuff of urban.
Speaker 3: Legends if you think about it. In nineteen thirteen, there was no radio, There was no way to get a message out, and many of them had obviously galleys on board that would have bottles, and mustard bottles have been used. Pickled bottles have been used, but certainly wine bottles too have been used to put these messages in, and many times they'll put who's on board. Sometimes they would put you know, we're disappearing forever and a goodbye to their family. And we also saw you know, blame in some of them as well. But during the nineteen thirteen storm, at least four messages came ashore, and the majority of them were found to be not real. The one that came from the Plymouth, though, was written on a coal receipt that was actually from the coal company that gave coal to the Plymouth, so it lend a lot of authenticity to it. And also when the family saw it, they really believed it was Chris Keenan's handwriting as well, except for a bottom part that had been written by another crewman and he had noted in there. I felt so bad that another man had written this for me. So this is one of those those true notes that came out and really an eyewitness account from you know, twelve ships that vanished without any kind of a survivor. This was the voice that they finally got from what exactly happened during one of these devas dating sinkings, but.
Speaker 2: The storm wasn't yet done.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, the storm rushes past that lake, goes all the way up into Lake Superior. That's when it sinks the HB. Smith. It puts the Turret Chief ashore. The L. C. Waldo was also pushed ashore on keewan of Peninsula, and then Leefield was lost with all hands up by Pick Island. The biggest story on Superior at the time was the HB. Smith. The Henry B. Smith was a large freighter, one of the largest lost in the big storm. Captain billy Owen was in Marquette. The legend and all the newspaper articles that I've read said that billy Owen had been criticized for having lake cargoes all season, and if you read the stories coming out of Marquette, it really kind of plays out that Owen was furious when the iron ore froze because of a rain missed ice storm that kind of came in and froze all of the iron ore into the cars that they The captain ran out and said, you've got to you know, heat up those cars, actually put flame to the train car to get that cargo into his boat, and then when the storm hit, he ordered to have the Smith to be literally tied to the dock so that they could withstand the storm and still take the cargo so he could get it down in a timely manner. Now people do talk nowadays that maybe most of those stories weren't true, but there were a lot of boasting headlines about how he feared no storm and took off without even battening down all of his hatches, and as soon as the big snow squall came in, the ship vanished and we didn't find it for nearly one hundred years.
Speaker 1: And you're listening to Rick Mixter tell the story of the nineteen thirteen storm that took down a dozen ships. When we come back more of Rick Mixter on our American stories, and we returned to our American stories and the story of the nineteen thirteen storm. When we last left off, the storm had laid waste to Lake Michigan and Lake Superior and had already sunk many ships, including the barge Plymouth and the large freighter HB. Smith. Let's return to the story.
Speaker 2: After ravaging Lake Superior. The storm would soon turn to Lake Huron, where the bulk of the ship sunk in the storm and meet their ends. One ship that did not sink, though, was the HB Hoggod with Ed Konnabby at the helm.
Speaker 3: Ed Caonabby was a local guy from the Thumb who basically got sick of farming and went on board the ships and moved very quickly up to Wheelman. I locked out. I mean, as a journalist, you know, you start, you know, going through the storm itself and then trying to hit all of the anniversary newspapers. And that's where I found ed was you know, during the fiftieth anniversary and then the sixtieth anniversary, there were stories about this one guy that was part of the storms. But when I called him, his daughter told me that he had had a stroke and that he really probably didn't remember much about it, but she thought that he, you know, it would be worth a try. So when I went to go talk to him, he was very very hard of hearing, and I had to, you know, I was shouting questions to him, and finally his daughter had to shout tell him about the storm, and he told such a riveting story that the hair on my arm stood up straight. So he was at the wheel when the HB Hagood is going up and down the lakes. If you read the stories of the ships that survived, that was the way that they did it. They would stay out in the middle of the lake as best they could, because running aground would be devastating, and they would turn around, which was the most difficult part in the storm, and they would head back down the lake and then just keep trying to keep their nose into the wind as best they can can until the storm was over, hoping that it would, you know, eventually fade out. Well, this storm went sixty miles an hour for sixteen hours straight. So back and forth the HB Hawgood went until finally they got to the bottom of the lake and the captain ordered them to turn around again. He could see the lights of Point Edward. He knew he was close to Port Huron going into the Saint Clair River, but he was not going to turn around.
Speaker 2: Cannaby had other ideas. Here's ed with what he did instead.
Speaker 4: He said, got its different order heading into the wind yessh but I really scared. I sat a chef. Oh no, you don't no, there's larga of wors and to ship.
Speaker 3: Control, they literally pitched up on the beach near where a hotel was, so out of all of the ships that were lost during the nineteen thirteen storm, it was good news for the HB. Hawgood to be so close to civilization. That wasn't the case for many of the other ships.
Speaker 2: Like the Charles S. Price.
Speaker 3: The Price had gone up and had gotten the storm and somehow turned turtle and the air that was still inside the vessel allowed it to float, So the bow was floating, but the stern was dragging on the bottom in about seventy feet of water, and it wasn't hard to see this giant what looked like a whale of a black bottom boat out there, and the newspapers guessed for days on exactly what freighter it was. And they couldn't get out there because the storm was still kind of brewing, so as it calmed down, they finally hired a diver named Baker to go down there, and he dove down and realized that it was so murky because of the storm tossed waters that he couldn't see, so he felt the letters and it was Charles S. Price upside down that he felt. He came back on board and wouldn't tell them the name until he got paid. That's how much he trusted the newspapers the ship itself. We still wonder what happened, but as we look at the course of the HB. Smith, and we look at several other ships that survived the storm by turning around. As they turned around, if they were iced or heavy on top of their decks, which we've seen many big storm victims, especially from nineteen thirteen, we've seen frozen pictures of the ice that's accumulated on the decks, making them very, very top heavy, regardless of the cargo that's below it. And as they try to make that turn to try to you know, as they run out of the lake and they want to come back down again, they make that turn, they exposed themselves to winds that will push these long, thin ships over. And that's what we think might have happened, that it might have tried to turn, and as it tried to turn, it rolled right over. We also know from the eyewitness accounts that there were thirty five foot seas that were there. So add in a top hand vessel that was never designed to carry that much ice weight on top and a wind and waves that were banging off of each shoreline in confused directions, and it could be easily imagined that one of those freighters would flip over, and the Price actually did. It sat there and floated forever and well, it floated for over a day, and many newspapers got pictures of it, and then it slowly sank down to the bottom, so they always knew where the Child's Price was.
Speaker 2: The Price was just one of the many ships that sank during the nineteen thirteen storm. In total, twelve ships would end up on the bottom of the Great Lakes, and countless others, like the Hawgood, would be beached and battered on the shore. The storm was a truly horrific event.
Speaker 3: The legacy of the storm is that over two hundred and fifty sailors lost their lives, and the reality is that without radio or without you know, really good accounts of who was actually on board these ships, there was times when sailors would just jump on board and there would be no real, you know, real record of them being on so we'll never know the exact amount of people lost, or the names of everybody who was lost but to think of it in the terms of two hundred and fifty sailors, that's two hundred families that didn't have loved ones that came home from that storm. It was devastating to them. And then add in the devastation that was felt by towns like Godrich where most of that destruction, especially those human bodies came ashore. It was horrible for them as well. And the pictures of the long funeral marches that would go to the grave marker that's now in god Rich, you can imagine what that must have felt for them as well. The headlines and the stories that came out of there, and the eventual stories that would be generated from those later on also add to the magnitude of what that storm was. It was one of the worst, in many cases called the King of storms on the Great Lakes. So it probably will never be equalled. We now have better weather forecasting, We have satellites that fly over the top of the ships, we have communication via satellite and via radio. It's just amazing what that technology is like today and forecasting. But we still have people that will try to batter the lakes. You know, there's always that one that believes that they can get in. Fortunately, or they are a thousand footers, they're a lot less susceptible to the waves. But you'll be surprised that, you know, even the biggest of all freighters, including the Edmond Fitzgerald, were lost just because the captain made a bad call. Nothing can be built that would withstand the fury of the lakes when they get their very worse, and unfortunately, that's what happens in November. As those lakes start to cool off and that warmth from the lakes meets the cold Arctic air, we get horrible snowstorms, and we get winds that just tear at chips in every direction and change on a dime. And that could happen again tomorrow. There's still so much many clues out there, and every time a ship is found, we start to add another chapter. So I don't think the final chapter has been written on the nineteen thirteen storm. It's over one hundred years old, but we're still discovering new things about it, and that's what makes it exciting.
Speaker 1: And you've been listening to Rick Mixter tell the story of one of America's great water tragedies. He also told the story of the wreck of the Amin Fitzgerald, which was riveting. And it's the rest of the story from the song you'd heard and the real story the Gordon Lightfoot song, of course, and one of our other really good water disaster stories. One of our best is also, of course, the sinking of the USS Indianapolis, the worst naval disaster in American history. Mixture, by the way, you can find his work at Lakefury dot com. Listen to his podcast. And my goodness, it was a perfect storm. You had the f and ice formations on the deck of the ships, thirty five foot sea walls coming at them, and of course the wicked winds. Twelve ships down, all hands lost, two hundred and fifty souls lost. The story of the nineteen thirteen storm here on our American Story