Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorne Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga and iHeartRadio podcast. Hello ladies, Hi you guys.
Speaker 3: Happy Melrose Minute, Happy Melrose Minute.
Speaker 2: Day. Like to do these once a week or so, and yeah, for this one, I posted a picture on Instagram and our producer over at iHeart noticed what feedback at god and I got more comments on that than almost anything else I've posted. I couldn't even reply to all of them.
Speaker 3: But it was a post.
Speaker 2: I was going through my garage and sorting through old pictures and things and boxes, and I found an old photo from a photo shoot for a magazine and it was, you know, in red that red pen crayon pen the marks where they were going to smooth fix, take out things, you know, and it was really the image of it was, uh it took. It was really startling just to see that, Like for me, as I found it, I was like wow, I mean wow, you know, and it's a normal process that photographers and editors do for their magazines and things. And of course our culture today is completely used to photoshops and filters and smoothing and all of that. But a lot of the comments I got were you know, you know, you didn't need it and things and uh, but they did it anyway. A lot of this seemed to be on the hair, but there were things about the face smoothed this out and smooth that. So I think we just wanted to bring up like our experiences with different photoshoots and how it makes us feel.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 4: Well, it's also sort of crazy that you have that daph with like that. I'm assuming they're the photographer's markings. They're not probably yours or your representatives or somebody like on the photography side saying oh this needs to be fixed or whatever. But somehow that version ended up in your hands, like you get to see behind that sort of curtain of what they wanted to fix of that photo. And I just think that's an unusual look for you to be able to see it, and that's exceptional and shocking.
Speaker 1: It's it's normally to do it behind the scenes. Yeah, I don't have to know about it. And also you made a point in your post that it was for a natural photo shoot, like it was kind of you on the beach being natural. It wasn't like it was high glamour so to go in and fix or something like that. It's fascinating. I know, so we don't look like our photos.
Speaker 3: I was starting.
Speaker 1: I was laughing with a girlfriend the other day because and so it's funny that you talk about this right now. So many years ago I had a contract with Alme Cosmetics, and I was on a girl's trip in Palm Springs and we walked into a CVS and there was this big display of my all may Ad, and my girlfriend's like, wow, that's amazing. You look so beautiful, be beat. I would not have recognized you. That doesn't look like you at all. That I would not have known that, Like I know, I kept saying it. I mean, honestly, I wouldn't even know. It was like that person is beautiful, doesn't look at all like our friend who's standing next to us.
Speaker 3: It was so strange as it was.
Speaker 1: It was like it was it was almost like a CGI version of me. They did so much air brushing.
Speaker 3: It was a completely smoothed.
Speaker 1: Out version with no expression lines, as if expression lines are something to be ashamed of.
Speaker 4: Well, it's so interesting like that a skincare, you know, like is there. That's what they're trying to sell, is like it will make you absolutely flawless and an unattainable, flawless, unreal.
Speaker 2: And we don't know if the product that they're selling and asking you to buy does a damn thing because you don't come with photoshop and you're not a two dimensional thing in a magazine or you know, pictures standing there. So will that they had all this, you know, fixed it up with them with tricks. That's how they fixed it up or fixed it up.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine what they did because literally you'd kind of.
Speaker 3: Go, wouldn't I wouldn't have recognized me.
Speaker 1: It didn't look like me, like they hire me to do it and then do so much you're touching it doesn't even look like me anymore. So I guess they wanted like the idea of me not of course.
Speaker 4: Well don't you think that's sort of upsetting to know that everybody has that technology now on their phones and they're using it in that way like people, They have that technology right there.
Speaker 3: To go we all do.
Speaker 4: I want to look different than they actually do, and I can do that for every picture that I share, Yeah, and just make myself something that I'm not. It's just so interesting that because you can, you will and well.
Speaker 2: You have to keep up because now the environment is if you're the only person that doesn't, you will stand out. I will I smooth things like age spots and things, know, because if I don't. I So I posted that and then I remember I was also smoothing something like after that, and I was like, it's for an actress. It's especially it's such a dichotomy. It's the two sides of one coin. Because I don't want to be I still want to work and I still want to be seen as you know, youthful and beautiful. But the but also the tragedy is that the standard is not real. There's nothing real and about the standard of beauty out there. It's just it's just not real. So they're either going to fix it in the with the camera or with your makeup or with the whatever.
Speaker 3: You'll fix it.
Speaker 2: You have to because you will look totally alien if none of.
Speaker 3: Us did anything.
Speaker 4: Did you guys see substance?
Speaker 3: Yes? I haven't.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well oh so hard to watch but incredible. Yeah, But like the whole idea that like just not being okay with the aging, and that just leads her to speaking of alien, I mean, ends her life over this need for youth and beauty and oh, it's just devastating, but also like just that the Oscars just passed right, Like we have all these actors going on red carpets where you can't like retite and like that pressure to have everything be flawless. But it's live, and you know that that is such a different than photography, like just because you can in photography. I guess that's that's why it's done. It's like, oh, I mean, we're trying to fix everything, but you can't do that on a red carpet.
Speaker 2: You know, well they do another organized everyone's scrutinized. Yeah. I just feel like we have to have all admit and say that that's the culture. It's deep, and it's old, and it's I mean, it's historical, right, it's on the red carpet, it's it's everywhere. You know. It's one thing for young people say oh, never do this or that, but then wait till you're fifty sixty whatever. And I think i've you know, I remember when I turned forty, I was like, oh, okay, now I can just get the parts and be me. Then they put me in a freaking bathing suit and so and I was like, no, I'm a mom you know in the show and I'm forty whatever, and I was like, aren't these days over? I remember thinking that, like, uh, you know, and uh so I just feel like it's just this pressure that's there, and I just think it's interesting how we all, in different situations, have we you know, have to decide how to deal with it. And a lot of people said on that post, you know, oh, thanks for posting it, because you're saying, you're showing what the pressure is that our daughters deal with, that we deal with because we only see the final product the airbrush.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when Jamie Lee Curtis did that thing, I want to say in Self magazine where she had the like her glam and her not with her tummy out and thinking how casual she was. That was really impactly. I'm so impressed with her about that story, and because it's true.
Speaker 4: She and pam Anderson just had you know, that whole they did that movie together in Pamela Anderson did the same sort of thing the Last Show Girl, and you know she's she went on a red carpet without makeup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she still does. I really admire that. That's just really impressive.
Speaker 4: Empowered to you know, say this is the truth and this is whyam she's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: The girlfriend of mine just turned sixty and someone said, how was that for you? And she said, it's a privilege. It's a privilege to be sixty. A lot of people don't make it to sixty, and we get to decide what we believe or not, like I am. We were talking about this last week on the podcast, which is I keep saying, Alison seems so mean and intense, but I really took things so seriously then. I'm so much lighter now. I am so much happier now. My life feels so much better to me. I really do wear a life like a loose shirt now at my age, at fifty seven, I didn't at twenty four, Like I may.
Speaker 3: Have looked better to society.
Speaker 1: I feel so much better now, and that's really important to keep talking about that because if it was just based on if my worth was my age, or my weight or my.
Speaker 3: This, then your lost.
Speaker 1: Cause like you have to as you get older, start to realize what really matters, and not that I don't still color my hair and do what I can to keep looking good, but it's really important to remember that what I feel is by far more important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think just to have the tools to be able to do it is to to have to decide, like, where's the line? How much you know? Am I comfortable changing about myself to present? And do I need to at all? And everybody has to decide that for themselves because they've now got the tools in their hands, you know, with where.
Speaker 2: And when and how, and you know, because every situation is different, right and like on the same the same. And I love what Pam Anderson's doing. It's so lovely to see her soft side because years decades I just wondered, like, what does that feel like to her to be her? To be that caricature that she was that she now says she was being, And she's so honest about everything.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, that's so cool.
Speaker 2: And it makes gives you permission in your mind to think like that's allowable. The same time, I also think it's so cool that Dolly Pardon is exactly who she is with all of her you know, plastic surgery and wigs and this and that, and she's so she's so authentic in herself and so yes, I love how they both express themselves. It's so exciting to me because we don't all have to look the same and do nothing, you know. But but I just want to be feel confident and free enough to be myself whatever I choose to say or do. So I think that gives women just the freedom to freaking choose and pick. And I will never never be lost on me how an older guy can walk into the room and you're like, wow, not only does he have more wrinkles than like a shitsu a dog, you know, but he doesn't even feel like he's old because society doesn't tell him he is.
Speaker 3: He's scruffy.
Speaker 1: But that's also that's our stuff, Like we don't have to buy into it as much as we do. Right, So, not every woman who's aging feels bad about it.
Speaker 3: Some do.
Speaker 1: Now we're in the public eye, it adds another element, but not everybody feels bad. Like Emma Thompson is so great and open about this, right, I mean, I promise you a thousand things more to maintain my looks, and Emma Thompson does just because she's like, this is who I am and I love it. Like she talked about when she goes any minute, I spend thinking about the size of my ass is a minute wasted that I'm not writing and creating and living my life.
Speaker 3: And I just think that's right. That's a constant.
Speaker 1: Reminder of where do I want to put my energy? And again, like I want to look good, I put time, energy and money into looking good. But I also have the understanding that how I feel is much more important and I can't let that get out of balance.
Speaker 4: And also your post daff was a reminder to everyone, especially young girls. What you see in a magazine, it's not real. Look at how much has been changed. It's not real. And so to compare yourself or to try to say, oh, I'm not good enough, if it's not that, you just look at all the things that aren't real about it, and it's that's also really important reminder.
Speaker 1: Well, and yeah, as to the point you guys made earlier, people can do it on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Instagram isn't real.
Speaker 1: That's why we love when go photo what is it called, uh not photo fail? But when you shop photoshop fail, we love it because it's an acknowledgment of this isn't real, Like everybody's doing it.
Speaker 3: It's a strange thing.
Speaker 1: We're all sort of living in real life CGI and I agree with you, Laura, especially for young women to compare their actual image with a fabricated image is so unhealthy. We had magazines, they have it. We'd had to pick up a magazine. They have it in their hand all the time, on their phone.
Speaker 3: They're bombarded with it.
Speaker 1: So I love that we're talking about this, and I love that, as you said, daf it's so true, there are different images of women that we can look at, and you get to choose your role models and say that's why I want to be. I'm going to work towards being like that person or for me like I want to be Emma Thompson. I might be more Dolly Parton, but you know, it's like I can choose, I can go it's all okay, and get to I get to admire so many different women.
Speaker 2: I think the key that you said, Courtney is and we can close on this maybe, is that don't focus on that as your presentation and your appearances who I am.
Speaker 3: It's being creative.
Speaker 2: It's like Emma Thompson said, any moment and we're talking not minutes, we're talking hours. At girls spends worrying about this and all the things I do that you're not being creative because life is short and life is fleeting, and life you don't want to waste it not being creative. And I feel like the more creative I am, like when we get into developing stuff or anything, I forget about it. Yeah, what I look like and everything. Oh oh, it kind of fades because I'm in the moment of being creative and feeling alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I'm writing all day, I end the day and I didn't think one second about how I looked. I don't think one second about someone looking at me because I'm in my crative mode, Laura, nor did I shower, But totally I'm not presenting anything. I'm actually living in that great place of creating.
Speaker 2: Say creative women, I say, and young people, young girls, because this world gives men more encouragement to be creative, Like what have you done? What do you got her? Pitch us, let's see if we want to buy it? And women, I just kind of need to put their foot in that room, whether it's the yours open or not.
Speaker 1: Don't let your creativity be what you can do to attract a man. What are you doing for yourself? What are you bringing.
Speaker 3: To the world.
Speaker 4: And on that note, yes, I love you ladies, I love you guys, love God and favorite people. Yeah, I always going to see you soon