Speaker 1: Do you throw touchdowns and avoid costly turnovers? Can you scramble out of the pocket away from Miles Garrett Sack or look off Patrick sirtanas he drops into coverage. Then Quarterback Island is looking for you. Join the likes of NFL MVPs like Matthew Stafford, Hey dazzling darts from Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 2: And Josh Allen. Allen looking for the exile and he's in. The piece has been related.
Speaker 1: As you defined the quarterback position during the twenty twenty six NFL season. Can you lead your team on a game winning drive as time expires? Then Quarterback Island is looking for you. Dak Prescott touchdown?
Speaker 2: Fuckap the touchdown Pestack. He made the island.
Speaker 1: Caleb Williams, My goodness, do I spid get it for the fourth time he made the Island. Get over that late season collapse, Baker, Bob, and send in your resume for Quarterback Island Today, Quarterback Island is characterizing it a non ranked, anialistic way of the players who define with playing quarterback in.
Speaker 2: Well done.
Speaker 3: We are here, yes on Quarterback Island, But this isn't a regular Quarterback Island episode. This is the first ever episode of the Quarterback Island spinoff, Quarterback Island Casting Call.
Speaker 4: Great job there.
Speaker 3: By our producer Eric Roberts, surprising us with a new intro and Yes, Jordan from the mind of QB Island. Jordan Rodrigue, executive producer, comes QB Island Casting Call as we take a longer look at some gentleman who might earn a spot on Quarterback Island this year.
Speaker 5: I'm so happy right now that we heard that cold. I kept trying to get Eric to let me listen to it early because I was so excited about it. That was everything and more. Shout out to Randy.
Speaker 4: I called in a favor and he crushed it. He sent me a couple of takes. I'm might have to send out takes out so he could be a voiceover artist.
Speaker 3: I should have mentioned Jordan Rodriguez with me and QB Island regular, although he hasn't been in the Chris Westling podcast studio in a while.
Speaker 4: NFL Networks own Steve Weiss here.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad to be here, but I also want to see what type of rules you guys are going to create and later bend Oh for the twenty twenty six QBI.
Speaker 5: Well, first and foremost, I do want to shout out to Dalton Ross a beat report. I call him a survivor beat reporter over at Entertainment Weekly. He obviously does much more than that. He actually has been talking to me about Quarterback Island all year. He's a reality TV show expert, right, He's been messaging me about Quarterback Island. Loves the show, and he gave me the idea for Quarterback Island cast and call as the newest in the family of quarterback guys.
Speaker 3: Hey, when you got a cash cow, you got a milk it, you know. Yeah, As that intro referred to quarterback Island is the place that defines the quarter position what eight quarterbacks at the end of last season defined the quarterback position. Traditionally we start the season with twelve. We will have that first episode for the twenty twenty sixth season in about a month, maybe a week two weeks before the NFL regular season starts. But for this episode, we wanted to introduce some characters, some possibilities of guys who could be considered then who could make it onto the island eventually. And it did refer to some of the gentlemen who would not be eligible to be talked about today because they finished last season on the island. And that's Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, Trevor Lawrence with a big closing pick, Drake may Dak Prescott brock Purty who played well at the end of last season, Matthew Stafford, and Caleb Williams. And you'll notice some big names who were hurt late last year not on the list, and maybe we'll talk about them today in this casting called Steve. It is awesome having you back. You're wearing your black College Hall of Fame classic shirt. I know we'll be seeing you on NFL Network throughout training camp and at Canton for the Hall of Fame game and all the Hall of Fame festivities. Got you in the studio now this is this is your other home, and I want you to get us going with your first nominee for anything.
Speaker 2: You know this is obvious based on my trumpet, I think player last year and it's actually where I'll be starting inside training camp in Denver. Bo Knicks. Bo Knicks is coming back now. He had the ankle injury that he suffered late last year. He's had two procedures to get it done, but they're expecting him to be ready to start Week one against the Kansas City Chiefs. But bow Knicks not only does he have a new play caller and Davis Webb Sean Payton's gonna take a step back for now. I don't know how long this is gonna last. But Davis Webb has been his old position coach, right, so they've got this relationships, going to be his play designer and play caller. But they went on. They got him Jaylen Waddle. They got him a speed burner on the outside to pair with Courtland Sutton. And I know you like analytics and stats, and here's one thing about the Denver Broncos. Since twenty twenty four, they have led the ball and led the league in throws of more than twenty yards air yards. And now you get a burner like Jayalen Watt. We think he's so much of a catch and run guy. Now he can go, It's gonna clear things up underneath for the other guys. I think this offense is gonna be far more fluid. It's gonna run just because they've got that outside speed threat who's incredibly reliable, can run the whole tree. It's gonna how about my guy bon Nick, especially when he breaks the huddle.
Speaker 3: Well, as someone who's wanted him on Quarterback Island in the past and is bringing him up here. It's just as a guy that that could be cast during this season. He is entering his third season, but he will be turning, you know, twenty seven right after the season ends, so.
Speaker 4: He's older than dirt. He No, that's Greg's monologue.
Speaker 3: He has thrown a lot of those plus twenty yard passes just because he's thrown a lot of passes period.
Speaker 2: He led the league actually in pattempts.
Speaker 4: It was very pass heavy.
Speaker 3: What what do you as a bow Knicks believer, Yeah, I think he needs to develop to convince maybe some of the doubters of like myself out there, that he deserves to be on there.
Speaker 4: What has he got to get better out Pintilly.
Speaker 2: He's got some of the Caleb Williams in him, like early in games, figuring it out. He's got to come into games live bit earlier and hit things on schedule, make this offense click a little bit more smoothly, so he doesn't have to come in with those late game heroics like he often does. I mean, you go fourteen and three. A lot of it's because he was great in the fourth quarter, so again being on schedule early, getting this offense on time, and that's where I think again Wadda will help out. He's got somebody to do the timing routes. They can go the long routes and that's going to open up a lot more opportunities for the other receivers.
Speaker 5: One of the things that Davis Webb is supposed to help with remains to be seen because we don't know yet. He's calling plays really for the first time. Probably hard to do it with Sean Payton, like still actively in your ear as you're doing it, but getting the play call in faster that's going to be really important. And it sort of sets up to what you're talking about, Steve, which is what I think of Bonnicks, and that is presented with the opportunity some development obviously over the last couple of years. He's a really clean canvas for you if you're an offensive designer, if you're an offensive play caller, if you want to get the play in quickly, if you want to play different tempos, if you want to get the ball stretched the field, but also really move the quick game. He can be clean. He's been streaky, but he can be clean. And he's sort of one of those clean canvas type players where you can do a lot of different things based on what he can do and the way that he can protect the football when he's doing it well. That combines with Jalen Wattle in a big way, who I think, yes, is going to stretch the field, but I think going to be a little bit of a move player for the two and I think that's really important because you're building complexity around the quarterback and all you want the quarterback to do is continue to be that clean canvas, get the ball where it needs to be, not point guard necessarily because we know he can extend plays, but to almost raise what the level of artistry is within that offense.
Speaker 3: Overall, I think his reputation coming into the NFL has not been what I've seen on the field, and that makes him a.
Speaker 4: Interesting player to watch.
Speaker 3: But I think he did change from his first year to his second year, and it was just more of everything, like more mistakes, more big plays. I think he's a better athlete and a bigger playmaker than we really expected.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the deep throws.
Speaker 3: He was third in design runs among all quarterbacks last year. Like he's close to like Jalen Hurts and some of those guys, and he obviously got hurt on one of them, just the unfortunate play that he's now had a couple follow up surgery, So that's a bit of a concern because he is a guy who specializes in throwing on the move, so his athleticism really matters. But one thing I definitely noticed kind of picking through his numbers was and I think it speaks to a guy who the highs were really high, but it wasn't that consistent.
Speaker 4: You were talking about the slow starts.
Speaker 3: The game, but then he finished awesome, Like that Bill's game in the playoffs mostly great. They were the one seed and everything, but there were even ups and downs in that game. And if you kind of look at his turnover worthy play percentage his big throw percent it was both way higher last year, so I think he.
Speaker 4: Was doing more. He's giving you a little more flash.
Speaker 3: But when it all averaged out and you look at kind of all the DVOA and success rate and EPA, and it's all kind of landed in the middle.
Speaker 4: And that's why I think.
Speaker 3: Broncos fans are unhappy with some of us who look at those numbers and say, like, yeah, a lot of it was exciting, but it call kind of added up to a mid level quarterback, and how can he be a little more consistent.
Speaker 2: I think that's well and again, and Jodan made a great point like maybe getting the plays in quicker. You know, Sean Payton is very bit every play there's a new personal group on the field. I mean sometimes that takes time and sometimes young quarterback, you're hearing the play call. Okay, I'm seeing a full back tide and weight pull them back. I just try to change my mind. If they getting a Jalen Waddle, a guy who can move, you may not have to change your personal packages. Maybe you change him with the groupings. But that's something that can clean it up a little bit. And I think that could help Apo Nixon.
Speaker 5: I think he can he can hit the areas of spacing on the field downfield, and also the way he can extend or create as a runner. Like you, you know that he can capitalize on the spacing that you want to extrapolate, like you want to make sure you're It's like I look at it like when you're a designer, you're painting and you're trying to just target all of the voids that you know are going to be there. Well, he can use those areas, he can hit those throws. It's just getting players there, getting the communication and sync. The protections are really complicated to effective, but complicated to make sure that everything is happening a lot faster earlier in the play clock and then and then and then giving more dimension. And I think that will just really really lift what we've seen from him already.
Speaker 3: They've talked about it, you guys have already mentioned it now, like the up tempo, little up tempo, a little more spread. That sounds to me like what he could be really good at. And that if you're looking at the way defenses are playing now, seems like maybe the next step of how offenses counteract like the trends of defense and Bonus being particularly suited to do that. But like I said, like he has these little the little problems in his games, Like he threw the less to the middle of the field than any quarterback in the in the NFL last year. I think, according to Dvoa was like his numbers to the middle of the field were like way down. But I think he could be good with the spread him out.
Speaker 2: And that's like, yeah, that's because he comes he leaves that pocket pretty quick. Maybe you know Sean's gonna get him or Davis web will get him that PoCA League, But you don't want to take that running ability away from him.
Speaker 3: I still view him as a young player in third year, like he still has room to grow. And in that playoff game, man, his great games were really great. That Packers game, really both Chiefs games. It was just a little more up and down I think then Broncos fans want. And so we'll see if the consistency come work.
Speaker 2: Fourteen and three, I'm okay, I'll take it. Okay, made it to the AFC Championship Game.
Speaker 3: I'm going to nominate someone here, all right, getting that casting call. And he was a man who did finish the year on quarterback Island two years ago as a rookie, and that's Jayden Daniels coming off his supporting star role in quarterback, which we could get to maybe as part of this conversation. Look, I did not expect him to be one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the NFL, based on his college tape, and yet that has been who he's been as a pro. Wasn't quite as sharp last year, but the accuracy is there. So if you're telling me you have a young player who is accurate, is athletic, is excellent in terms of decision making, I believe overall, and has natural pocket movement in the pocket.
Speaker 4: That's a player that you can work with.
Speaker 3: And yet he was not the same player overall last season, even when he played. And so I went back and I wanted to watch some of that film from a year ago, because I do think it's gotten a little lost in all the injuries that Okay, well, he wasn't hurt those first two games, and they were a little uneven when you go back, especially that second week against the Packers, he was taken a long time to get rid of the ball. There's a lot of reasons why this could have happened, but he just wasn't comfortable last season in that Cliff Kingsbury offense. He's running a lot, he's getting hurt a lot. That's obviously a big concern, and yet I love the intangibles so much that he seems like a young man and I hate to bet on the intangles. But he seems like someone that is going to figure out the problems that he has faced so far as a pro and learn how to move forward. But is he Is he that rookie quarterback or is he the guy in his second year that frankly wasn't that much more effective than Marcus Mariota. They didn't really get any worse or better when Mariota was in there versus Daniels a year ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I definitely remember those couple of games because I had them for our recap shows and Commanders fans were very mad at me for pointing out that he did not look the same and he did not look comfortable, and that, I think, to your point, greg is is something that we have to consider in his pool of data here, even if it's incomplete, because that was a little bit of a second year slump, a sophomore slump for the quarterback. But I think being in and being out as long as he was, and watching what worked and watching what didn't work in this case, because he's so young and because there's still so much football left in front of him, could be beneficial to him having things slow down. Not being the one who has to create everything, understanding how he can create and lift everyone in certain points, but then trusting kind of what he sees and what he's given, not having to do the out of structure superstar stuff as much maybe, but also doing it when it's like time to hit that power button or whatever. And I think that David Blough, that's part of the reason why he's the offensive coordinator. There now kind of a mystery bag with him. We remember him as a quarterback and I remember the old show The Blowhards, right, Yeah, that was the fan the fan base, and but he's he's a little bit of a mystery bag. But we do know is that he was in collaboration with Cliff Kingsbury and Anthony Lynn during those that first rookie season of Jane and Daniels. We know that he's someone that the organization thinks very very highly of. For I'd like to see the table set for Jade and Daniels in a way that really accentuates his superpowers while not frazzling him. And that's going to depend on the line and also the receivers group, which I'm still not really sure.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's the thing, I mean, think about what he didn't look great early on last season. Right, they were trying to incorporate Deebo Samuel into that offense. That's a player Cliff Kingsbury really doesn't well.
Speaker 5: They were sending him on go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're just doing and look, i mean, let's and you know there's talking defensive coordinators Cliff Kingsbury's offense. After a while, you kind of know what they're going to try to do. Even when you got a wildcard quarterback like him, So they couldn't figure out the running back situation the old line was getting. There was this instability across the board, including Jade Daniels. It's not playing well. It just didn't seem right. That's gonna be fixed because dan Quinn knows he's in kind of a big make or break here. However, what's their tight end situation?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: And they were a heavy tight end team when he was you know the zach Ertz stuff. You know, when Jane dan is playing well, you got Terry mcluurin. But what are you working with again? It brought Diami roundback. That's good. That's somebody that Jane Daniels really played well with. They've got some type of relationship. I think the offensive line is absolutely going to be better.
Speaker 3: Right, He's going to have to elevate a receiver position we talked about on our position battles that is among the sketchiest in the league after Terry mclautin. Now McLaurin being healthy would help a lot, because there are games and I'm watching this tape and it's like it's a lot of Jalen Lane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's Luke McCaffrey.
Speaker 3: They did bring in Chicka Conquest, so you add him and John Bates, who's a good blocking tight end. That could be a good tight end position. But I'm trying to even remove the you know, the the situation around him and thinking about what Daniels needs to do and what he needs to do more than anything is avoid sacks. He has been one of the worst quarterbacks in the league both years in terms of the sacks that he is taking and his It's one thing if you're Lamar Jackson and you're avoiding these big hits, but running the ball eight to ten times a game, which he has done both years, it really didn't change.
Speaker 2: He gets hit and he doesn't avoid the bit.
Speaker 3: He doesn't necessarily avoid it, like the the second injury that he had, and to review, he plays two games, hurts his knee, comebacks after a couple of games, and then hurts his hamstring, come comes back a game after that and dislocated his elbow or hurt his elbow, which that's just bad luck. Missus four games, comes back and then gets thrown on the ground on a pick six and hurts his elbow again, and that was it for the season. But those last couple of games that he played, which were against the Seahawks and the Vikings, were eye openers I think for him and Washington, and that's why they sat him for the rest of the year because they were just they were bad offense.
Speaker 2: I mean, they were not good. That's why he.
Speaker 4: Was absolutely lost.
Speaker 3: And one of the things that I think he got into a bad habit of was what you talked about, trying to just make plays and it wasn't as effective, Like he just wasn't the same runner. And maybe that was partly because of the the injury that he was playing through, although it was the case the first couple of weeks, but it was like defenses knew the book was to keep him in the pocket.
Speaker 4: Whatever however possible.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of good athletic linebackers that were kind of watching him and trying to take away what he did. So the way he won his rookie ear, I think it could be something that is important to him long term, but it's not necessarily sustainable long term.
Speaker 5: I used to really roll my eyes hearing people talk about this when I was covering like superhuman quarterbacks as a beat writer, Cam Newton being the number one example here, which is, you know, everyone would always say, ah Man, like take the check down, don't be Superman, when it's like, how could you ask Superman not to be Superman? Well, also, Jaden Daniels is maybe a third of the bill. He's tall, but he's like slight. And then the other thing is it was so annoying because in parts they were right, because when Greg Olsen was fully healthy and was the friendly target and gave an answer, a quick answer to the problem when you sent multiple linebackers after the guy when you're trying to keep the cup around the quarterback, as they say, and contain him in the pocket, when you're trying to basically like basically put your foot down on the end of the cape you know, or like you know in Incredibles, be the jet engine to the cape, right, and like that is what defenses will try to do. And then getting a Christian McCaffrey getting the quick, you know, very very quick answer mismatch player. Which is why I like your point about the tight ends. But it's also the quarterback really really internalizing that that is a problem, that is a problem that is solvable immediately within the offense and having that be an answer for him and an option for him. It's hand in hand in my opinion. Quarterback has to make the decision, but also the coaches have to make that available for him and.
Speaker 2: Go go Stefon Diggs. I mean, go go get a player like that, because he immediately brings respect and credibility. Defenses have to gain plan for him that it would help, That would help. I don't like their receiving corps. And look, I spoke to a coach who was on that staff who said, Jayden and Daniels covered up so many of our mistakes as a rookie that when he was hemmed in the second year, all of those mistakes blew wide open. And those were things that as an organization, they overlooked and that's why they've tried so hard this offseason, at least personnel wise and some of the moves on the coaching staff to fill in some of those gaps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he did you guys, did anyone watch Quarterback yet?
Speaker 2: I have not watched.
Speaker 3: On my flight home, I was like, I don't have time to watch the entire series right now, but I did just watch the Jaden Daniels sections and then fast forwarded and so I watched Jaden Daniels on Quarterback. You don't learn that much about him. I was a little like it was a bit of a missed opportunity. It feels like he wanted to be on the show. His mom is a huge part of his life. It's his manager, it's his agent, she's at every game, she's she's a big part of this show as well. And it was like, okay, they want to position him, and you think, man, what a run this kid has been on from Heisman Trophy to the rookie year that he had and the difference between how high he is flying coming into doing this show to this the frustration of just injury after injury, and to be fair to him, he's a small guy. He's never been hurt before, Like he's never missed time with injury. So people saying like that's a concern. It is a concern at the NFL level, But he's never been hurt before. But he watching the show like he's doing the Scout team late in the year. It does you don't learn a lot about him, which I I think, like, if you're going to do the show, let's give us.
Speaker 2: Did you finish it?
Speaker 3: Yeah I did, But like, if you're going to do the show, give us a little more of yourself. They just didn't, Like I didn't get a great You don't get a great sense of who he is other than he's a quiet, introverted guy.
Speaker 4: Doesn't seem to have like a lot.
Speaker 3: He seems like a young guy, Like he seems like a very mature football guy who's he's still just a kid.
Speaker 2: And that might be who he is. Ye we after all the time Matt Ryan played like we is this is this kind of it? Yeah, yeah, that's it. Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson tried to change and of course all of a sudden, Alston even for great, he's.
Speaker 4: All so chill.
Speaker 3: I think it makes him a great quarterback because he's so chilling about it. Yeah, and even Terry mclern or Deebo, who like showed up to his his birthday party a surprise birthday already. But you got the sense like he didn't. He wasn't super tight with everyone. They all really respect him, look up to him, but it's like an older team around him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's really tight with Bobby Wagner.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, well, if you're gonna be tight with someone, that's.
Speaker 3: But I think it's just and they were talking about it's just like that's who he is all the time.
Speaker 4: But he he did seem like a guy to me that would be built to overcome some of the adversity.
Speaker 5: When you said that's it, I had the arrested development line her.
Speaker 4: All right, Jayden and Daniels, we'll see if he like that.
Speaker 5: I bet we will be talking about him. And that's part of the point of this exercise. And for that reason, I'm I have to nominate Jordan Love here.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, Harden Love.
Speaker 5: First of all, we were cut down, you know, and our numbers on quarterback island storm hit or something, and we only we had a few fewer.
Speaker 3: Finished a greater honor to finish the season on Quarterback Island then to start.
Speaker 5: But I will say at the very end of last season's debate, we were going back and forth between Jordan Love and Caleb Williams and it was a really difficult decision to make, and in part we put Caleb Williams on the island because of some of the late games, late season heroics, the thrill factor, and also the protecting the football, avoiding sex also things by the way that Jordan Love does very well. Jordan Love did very, very very well last season. We have talked so much about Jordan Love this on this show, and everybody has been talking so much about Jordan Love, and so for the purpose of this exercise, I kind of wanted to talk about him maybe in a different context or present a question or a thought extra guys that maybe we haven't done on the show. And what I'm really curious about with him is are we fairly talking about his performance relative first of all to what is happening on the roster around him, which we've done, but also within what this offense is itself, and what his partnership with the head coach and play caller is and what they have accepted and agreed to with each other. That what that the system will be with Jordan Love as a quarterback, because because I think he is like the dream quarterback. If I know I talk guys like listeners. I know I talk about the Shanahan Tree a lot.
Speaker 4: I know that it's great.
Speaker 5: It is what I have gotten my education in Okay, It's why I talk about it so much. But I think that if all of these guys he is, he is like their dream quarterback. And I say that because they've all had a guy who can be agreeable with what they want to do as a play caller in the sense that they're not fighting with them Aaron Rodgers style or even sometimes Matthew Stafford's style about the play calls. They're not trying to make the coach change the offense to compromise with the quarterback. They all want that guy right. They want to point and shoot. They they want progression passing. They want answers on the field for the quarterback through every single one of his reads, depending on any type of defense, that they can break the rules for right. Jordan Love can do that. Jordan Love can absolutely do that. Jordan Love actually can do more than that because he also can extend plays, and it's not extending plays in a way.
Speaker 1: That is.
Speaker 5: Flustery or sporadic or freestyle or even like sure we could say the absolute thrill ride of a fourth you know, a fourth quarter, fourth down, fourth and fifteen touchdown path, you know what I mean? Like the Outliers, people are not remembering so much about with with Jordan Love. What I think Jordan Love does though, is he takes your pencil after the coach has done drawing on the page. He takes your pen and he continues drawing using the lines that you already started. And I think that is what is so exceptional about him that makes him this perfect fit and a double edged sword for him, because when the coach is designing answers for him and he and they're deciding philosophically, this is how we're going to play, and suddenly the answers are gone, and then there is no clarity about the rest of the answers aka the receivers room. Tucker Craft is injured, the number one person that this offense was going through, pucker Craft was gone by week ten last season. The rest of it was a complete lack of clarity in the receiver's room. And then Jordan Love there are some murmurings that he was a little banged up. He was banged up at the end of the year. When you take away the answers that you basically have agreed to use for your entire system and then redo them mid season, you are not going to look comfortable all the time, and then teams are going to pressure you more, which they did at a thirty percent rate between weeks ten and seventeen when he was when he was in the game, and and he struggled, and and so that to me is the context with which it's a double edged sword. He's the perfect quarterback to do with this coach wants him to do and more and elevate it truly. And then the double edged sword is when all those things aren't working, then what do you do? You have to problem solve better?
Speaker 3: And yet like he was the best quarterback in the league arguably the second half of the season along with Drake Lee and the season like.
Speaker 5: Man like on Jordan Lover, Well, there was that pocket. There was that pocket right in the like sort of I would call it the meat of the season where he dazzled, He dazzled Yeah, there were also times, and we've talked about it, and again you guys were thinking like this, this is not a framing of We've all watched you know, we've watched his tape, We've talked about it, we've talked about the stats, we've talked about the advanced analytics, We've talked about all of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: My point is, I think that for all of this sort of outside commentary to still finally is to is to really think about this in a way where I think that there is no ceiling on what this guy can do. Truly.
Speaker 3: No, I mean the last three seasons. If you just look at the second half of the seasons, the Toyota.
Speaker 4: Than thing is real.
Speaker 3: He is the number one quarterback in the NFL in terms of DVOA in the second half of the season, including including last season. I think last season he was a different player. He did prevent mistakes a lot more. He's been the best third and long receivers as exciting as you can imagine. Caleb Williams is on those big plays like Jordan Love has hit more third and long plays than anyone else. And I think that speaks to what you're talking about in terms of appreciating what Matt Lafair did, and that's despite not having craft in the running game, not being as good. I think it was the first time we really saw him elevate, and unfortunately, like the injury happened and that that hurt. You know, it was a couple of key games. I mean, it was just it was just a game and a half, but that moment and then the playoff game he was Okay, the numbers look great, but he wasn't amazing in the playoff game, and so you forget about him a little bit.
Speaker 4: But I think he's almost a lock.
Speaker 3: To be on QB Island to start the year because to me, he's just an obvious I think top ten quarterback at this point.
Speaker 2: And you look at you look at the list of the eight guys right who we had on this list, you know, Trevor Lawrence, Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, like they got the dazzle factor. You know, you could say, Okay, brock Purty doesn't do but Bronc has pulled out some games like whoa you know, and then Drake May's been steady, right, but he's got the ability, He's got that that Joe Burrow, right, to kind of come in and kill you. So I think that's what with with Jordan Love when when I went sit there and watch him like man like, he may be executing the hell out of this offense, but where is that freaking flashing light. Like sometimes you see it like oh my god, this guy's insane, but there's sometimes kind of like, okay, now he's now, he's been what people you say about Lebron. Lebron could take over games, then it was almost kind of like he he'd meld into the to the furniture a little bit. And that's what I saw about Jordan Love. I'm with you. I think he's a guy who should absolutely start the season on the island and getting Tucker Kraft back with every Yeah, once he got hurt, they didn't know that. You talk about answers going out the window.
Speaker 5: Well, and that's the thing, Steve. It's because, like whin these coaches from this system, like historically through even beyond the young guys that we see now, when they have a outlier mismatch player that's specifically a move player, so a player that they can align anywhere on the field, what they will do is they will design their entire offense, and in Kyle Shannon's case, he's had two. Often they'll design their entire offense to flow, to make that the first answer, the first not necessarily always the first read, but the first answer to any problem you get. And they know how to do that because they understand defenses so well. Jordan Love knows how to do that because he understands defenses, and so to me, it's a double edged sword where if you're agreeing that you're going to protect the ball, that you're going to run the offense, that you're going to keep everything as risk averse as clean as possible, which he did. He was a seventh the seventh least off target percentage quarterback last year according to True Media, like he protected the ball only twenty one sacks. He really really protected the ball and himself for the most part. And when you agree that that is how you're gonna run your offense, the double edged sword is what happens when everything you built suddenly goes away and you have to redo it right in the middle of the season, as defenses are pressuring you more, as your body is breaking down, and as you don't actually have any clarity with that cluster of receivers, about which one is going to be the most targeted one per week. And I think the big clue on this. First of all, it really goes to show how mature Jordan Love is and that partnership he has with Matt Lafleur, because they are collaborators on this, right, we can have one without the other. The other thing is I think that you see clues. First of all, craft coming back is huge. Second, them reorganizing their receivers room, yes, letting go of Romeo Dobs and everybody scratching their heads about that, but also paying Christian Watson and then providing you you hear rumblings out of there. There is more clarity than there was about who's doing what, which means to me, when one answer is not available, five more will be. And you have it built in this time, stripping everything down and redoing it, then maybe you were able to do last time. And I think that's where we will really see him elevate this year.
Speaker 2: Is are you saying, oh that all this stuff about we don't really need a number one receiver stuff was kind of hogwaks.
Speaker 5: Well that's the nicer SI. That's the nicer term than what I was using for it, yeah.
Speaker 4: Or like, yeah, we know who our three guys are going to be.
Speaker 3: And yet you're right when he's looked his worst has kind of been late game situations where the other team is coming up with answers and they're not good at pivoting. That said, he has been in that offense now for five years. Yeah, this is the reason why you keep bringing back Matt Lafleur. He is going to be twenty eight years old. Jordan Love is at should be at the absolute peak of his powers to elevate what's not as good an offensive line, maybe what's not as dynamic a running game. And yeah, he's a guy you mentioned avoiding sex. He actually leads the NFL since he joined the league in avoiding sacks. Like this is a guy who has the ability, I think to have an MVP.
Speaker 2: Take and more is going to be asked to him because that defense, until Michael Parsons is good go is not personnel wise, is not what it has been.
Speaker 5: I think it was a bucket of cold water watching that defense not be what it was at the end of the last season. And then really, I mean Matt Lafore even said it straight up to the media stripping everything down like it was year one. To me, that's problem solving mode. I've been in that building before when they're doing that.
Speaker 4: All right, we are going to take a quick break. Those are three young men who got the casting call for this episode QB Island Casting Call coming back.
Speaker 2: In a future.
Speaker 3: Thanks again to our old friend Randy Chavis introducing the show, former producer Great Pipes.
Speaker 4: It's QB Island Casting Call.
Speaker 3: And when we came up with this show, we also wanted to conclude some young up and comers, you know who maybe weren't really ever in the conversation and maybe a guy in Tyler shuck that I'll make the case.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: He's not going to start the year on QB Island, but if things go right, yes, I'm sure about that.
Speaker 5: Greg has come all the way around.
Speaker 3: Top twelve to start the year. Now, he's not defining the position now, but here are the things he does well. Going back and watching his tape, and I think this is a bucket of qualities to build a streaky but potentially high level quarterback around that. Maybe you start the year fast and you're in the QB Island discussion. Number one, he gets through his reads fast. I mean that is one of the hardest things for any quarterback to do. Many good quarterbacks never really learned that. I think Shuck does that. He does not turn the ball over, not many turnover for worthy plays. Takes a lot of sacks. That's his biggest negative if we were going negatives. He really protected the ball. So you're getting through your reads fast, you're protecting the ball. You have a combination of creation more than I ever expected out of him. In terms of him as a college prospect. A lot of his best moments as a pro was him in create mode. And he's a tough guy and he took a lot of hits. He kept going and he stays in that pocket sometimes to go through those reads and makes throws while under pressure. Did not see that coming when he was a prospect. But look, he's made himself a favorite son of New Orleans. He knows all the best places to eat like. I like his intangibles. He's just one of those guys that somehow makes more sense as a pro than he did in college.
Speaker 4: And I think he could take a big step in here two and.
Speaker 2: We see that. You know this is a Kellen Moore staple. The quick decision making. Like every quarterback Kellen Moore's coach, they can get to where they need to go. Okay, problem solve problems. Off the balls out Now you get him Travis h chan right as a dual threat running back again, that did carried a heavy load last year in Jacksonville. You keep Alvin Kamara, you can put them on the field at the same time. You've got three potential receiving tight ends. They've got some opposite tight end. They've upgraded the offensive line. You add Jordan Tyson too, Chris Olave on the outside. Clearly, the Saints are expecting Tyler Shuck to be good. They built this offense to be better with him. They had a top ten defense last year. You know they get I'm blanking on the their nickel safety's name helbal.
Speaker 5: Player Sunker or are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 5: Which one? There's like a million of them that they use now Jonash Sanker, Yeah, Sunker, I love that. Jonas Jonas and Sezer my name is Jonas.
Speaker 2: But I think defensively, Brandon Day year two, the uptick is coming. You know, Chase Young is gonna you know, he had a big year last year with Cam Jordan ten and a half sacks. They've got some people. I think the Saints are gonna be good, But Tyler Shuck. They have built this team for him to succeed. And that's that's the reason why he may not start the season on the island. No, but man, we might have some be talking about some land.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's got a little Jamis or Tannehill to him. Where like, is he going to be a top ten quarterback consistently? I probably have my doubts, but I think the highs and the streaks could be really high. And he's like an intermediate merchant, and those are the quarterbacks I.
Speaker 4: Think merchant like Sixtus right.
Speaker 3: He is a guy that over the middle of the field and you have a lave, you have Devon Vailey. There's a great throw of him getting to his second read to Devon Vailey against the Panthers where he takes a massive hit and the only reason he can throw is because he gets to that second read quickly and that's where he that's where he wins. And that that's usually the hardest thing for a young quarterback to learn. And that's why I like shuck Is because he does so many of the hard things. Well he has he has some flaws to his game, for sure, but he does a lot of the hard things.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think that you can tell immediately what the Saints and what Kellen Moore thinks of him, and what think then think of what they all think of Tyler Shuck entering year two and specifically about the way that he gets through his progressions. Is because they built more of a layer to this offense. They added like multiple layers to this offense. And I don't just mean they added players to this offense. You you touched on with a Chen and and certainly with Devon Valley. I think is still maybe the front runner for their three. I know Jalen Polk has had a strong camp or of course I think the local media, but Vale they love.
Speaker 4: And that bill Ron Johnson is kind of a three.
Speaker 5: And but like there's there's dimension to it. Now You're you're basically making and building little little blocks out for him because you understand he can get to everything on the field and and I just think that that's a surefire way to understand if the if the team really thinks they've got someone at quarterback, they're not changing necessarily. They're blocking structure. They're not changing necessarily like the way that they play their system. You know, not to not to be negative about someone else that's have him catch astray, but you know they changed their entire way they were doing their front alignments when with Bryce Young they started playing more empty.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: I think that was a really really good thing in Carolina that they did, But you're not seeing that in New Orleans, and I don't think you will because they're going to build layers in because he's going to stand tall in there and get to all of his reads.
Speaker 3: And they know that they were the fourth fastest team in terms of tempo last year. So I mentioned the tempo when it came to Jade Daniels. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the fastest because he excelled at tempo. And the thing that really got me was ultimately, like the extra that he's adding a little bit, like you talked about with Jordan Love, that he can color outside the lines in a way that I did not expect.
Speaker 4: And it's tricky.
Speaker 3: You don't want to just count on like bo Nicks, these late game comebacks, but man, he had some big time moments. There was a four play sequence in the in the Bucks game where you know, he gets out of pressure to run for a key touchdown around the end that I just did not think he had that sort of juice.
Speaker 4: But then there is a third and six.
Speaker 3: They don't win the game with four minutes left unless he gets to his second read fast with pressure flashing really quick and the decision comes out. And then there's another third and five where he's hitting outside window throws like he can do the opposite hash stuff he can do. There was a fourth and one like creation mode play that was called back by penalty, but it was incredible him getting out of things. And that was what I didn't expect out of him, because I think he can do the tempo and the decision making pretty well. He's just gotta just gotta stop taking sacks because the sack stuff is awful. I mean, he was one of the he was one of the worst quarterbacks in the league in terms of he wasn't getting pressure that much and he's just hanging on to the ball trying to make a play too much and he'll get killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a rookie. I mean that that's something he's just gonna learn what he understands opposing personnel, what they're trying to scheme, and do you know the tendencies of defensive coordinator I help.
Speaker 3: So that was something in college too. It was like him and Brady Cook at the bottom of the league in.
Speaker 5: Terms of like, well, you camped him in your rankings with the great John Ledyard. You comped him to what Ryan Tannehill. Yeah, You're like, man, he's taken a beating, but he's standing in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a tough dude. So yeah, Chuck, you proved me wrong with the rookie season. I was skeptical, you have one more Georgian.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So again, I know that we've talked about this player so much through the off season, and I think rightfully. So We've covered the warts, We've covered the places to grow. We'll touch on some of those here, but with c. J. Strouds specifically, who I think we are going to be talking about as Island quarterback Island material here into the season. I want to sort of reframe, like I did with Jordan Love, reframe some of the discussion just a little bit, because I do think that this offense will take a step forward in year two with this system. I do think that the moves they made to try to improve the run game will help. David Montgomery looks like he's lost about ten pounds, it says via his Instagram posts, in order to take on much more of that that Carrie share with Woody Marks. Potentially as compliment, they've redone their offensive line again. I'd love to see more true continuity there, but it sounds like they really like the guys they have. And then, really importantly, it sounds like Nick Kaylee is I don't want to say simplifying, because I don't think it will be a simpler offense, but I think it will be less dense, Like I think he'll be trying to do less. He'll be trying to not do so many things from multiple systems every single time and every single game and and sort of cluttering things up. The concept I want to talk to you guys about is the idea of pace, and it's got two meetings here for the purpose of this discussion. The first one is performance after critical error. CJ. Stroud has fantastic numbers after he throws an interception. Specifically, he has courtesy of my friend Tage Seth, who ran this for me really quick this morning. He has a point four to three epa per drop back fifty percent success rate specifically after he throws an interception, So the drive after he throws an interception, on those plays after when multiple things happen, when he takes sacks, and you can see this watching watching him all year last year, takes multiple sacks, there's some some misfires, confusion, certain types of pressure. If there's an error or or he makes multiple errors in a single series, you see that start to compound. You see him getting frustrated, You see him start to sort of get in his head a little bit. Yes, it happened in a huge way at the end of last season. So I'll pause here for you guys to weigh in. But that concept of pace, I think that there are a lot of tools first of all, where c J. Stroud to get back onto full time quarterback Island can address, and also that the offense and the offensive coordinator can address to.
Speaker 2: When you're talking about pace, you're talking about in a series, a certain tempo or.
Speaker 6: Four months after critical error. So how he rebounds, so that goes to show he won. He's got a character. But you saw in that Patriots game to the playoff, he just completely melted. And I think part of it.
Speaker 2: I've spoken to some people about this who really diagnose his film. Some of it's on him, but some of it was on the offense. Right there weren't always answers like he's dropping back, he can't get his first read, second read, and then all of a sudden he makes a bad play and it looks like he's panicking. But then what's supposed to be the third option, whether it was a receiver running a bad route or something, or a block not being picked like it did not happen, or whatever executional region, some of it looked like play designed. So when you talking about Nick Cayley coming back for a second year, he's got to improve upon that, and that's part of what they have to do there. And getting a Dave Montgomery and adding, you know, Keelon Rutleds, you know, the center to that spot to fortify some of the interior running game. Maybe that helps because those young ride receivers and stuff they're talking about Jalen Nolan, Jaden Higgins like their young studs to go along with Go Collins know he's one of the better wide receivers.
Speaker 5: He helped me back.
Speaker 3: I think of the Jaguars game early in the season, or another one where he got in the hole and he couldn't get his way out it. Look both of his playoff games he struggled. He was bad in the Steelers game too. I do think he is such a cerebral quarterback. Weirdly, his greatest skill to me, which I think he's got a little bit of football genius to him. He just has a great feel of the position. He's what I want out of a quarterback. And so you do think that when he gets older, he maybe won't overthink things as much because I think he has such a good feel that when he loses it, it was like he loses it all the way and he tries to think his way out of it, whereas maybe some people that play quarterback they just they're not overthinking it as much as Jason.
Speaker 5: I love that you guys have set me up for this next point because absolutely I think I agree with both of you, and it brings me to the other meaning of pace that I'm thinking about when I'm thinking about you know, CJ. Stroud and kind of who he is, and that is just general pace of development, pace of playing quarterback in the NFL, not talking tempo, I'm not talking game pace so often. To me, he has been incongruous with the person who's calling plays for him. He was light years ahead as a rookie, and Bobby Slowck's offense I think was right where it should have been that first year.
Speaker 3: C J.
Speaker 5: Stroud remained light years ahead, just mentally in terms of that he's such a smart football player that that offense did not take another step forward and evolve. And then there was personnel disasters. We don't need to re litigate anything. Then Nick Cayley comes in and c J. Stroud is clearly showing to him his pace is fast. His pace is I want all of it. I can do all of it. I can think about all of it, I can see all of it. And Nick Keyley sees that and he's like, holy crap, Like this is awesome. I can try everything. I'm going to try to meld these two systems, the Patriots and the Rams, and I'm gonna try to do all of it sometimes in one game. And my answers that I give to my quarterback and the heat of the moment in battle are going to be maybe too much or too complicated or too clunky because there's too much going on all at one time. We don't have the run game to support it, we don't have the protection to support it. And you're asking then too much for a quarterback who wants to do all of it when sometimes the correct pace for both the play caller and the quarterback is to be together at the same time and to really dig and collaborate on how can I protect him from himself both ways? And I think steps, they skip steps, and I think that is what exactly is happening here, and I think that's what they're very self aware of in Houston right now. So the idea of pace in that regard being in the same step as the person that you're collaborating with, to me, that's what takes CJ. Stroud from being this really really gifted player who we just we know there's more in there, we know the highs of so high and turns him, I think into this, you know once again, because he was his freshman year, essentially his rookie year, a top ten quarterback.
Speaker 4: The crazy thing is.
Speaker 3: His numbers last year are almost identical analytics wise to his rookie year, but watching the film, I don't think he played as well. I think it's misleading and he was streakier.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Part of it is since he entered the league, the Texans are second to last in success rate and ep play running the ball. Yeah, so it's like he's always in third and lungs. He's always in a bad situation. There are obviously reasons for but I think what you hit on. They've talked about it, we'll see if they can execute it. All off season they've been saying, we want to focus on what CJ does well, build the offense around his strengths a little more instead of maybe just what we're doing and what are those strengths. I think it's reading down the field and like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe, But I also think that's only half of the story there, because yes, you should do that, and he can do those things, but in the cases where then he was asked to do too much with less, with less support or less less pure answer, you also have to protect him from himself. Just because he can do it doesn't mean he always should. So I think that's just only part of the story there.
Speaker 2: Well, my final thing is, look, this is a big year. For him. I mean, of course he's got the contract coming up. More than anything, they've got a balance out thing because the defensive players they got to be tired of carrying this team. And you know, if he if everything works out and he does have a good year, they're going to have to let some of those defensive players go because you remember, they've extended just about everybody, Like and the next one up is Henry Toto, and he's a hell of a player. Like if he gets on the market, there's gonna be other teams that are gonna want him.
Speaker 4: How about how about Texans Bills and then Texans Bengals both one pm Eastern games in Houston to start the season. I'm just that's what those are some deaths.
Speaker 3: Those are some good early morning not the West Coast game on Because to your point, I think there are certain players teams like it's important I think for CJ in this offense to get off to a good start, he.
Speaker 2: Wi those two teams early, to let your defense get after him. Bigger thing, it's not offensive.
Speaker 4: Okay, last person for the casting call.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, there's a couple of guys we've left off.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: Who's gonna get on who's not We're just.
Speaker 2: And I'm just saying this, and this is because of who he is, what he is and what he brings. And that's Patrick Mahomes, who who exactly who coming off the injury, He's gonna be ready for week one.
Speaker 4: He gets Bonix. Do we know that for sure?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 4: What a what a matchup of guys coming off sir, I'm going off of injuries.
Speaker 2: But this is this is why I think we really need to pay more attention to Mahomes than ever is. I think this offense personnel wise, Yes, they got Kenneth Walker, but it might be more of a mess than what he's ever had to deal with that receiving corps. It's not making teams saying who are we doubling? It's not making anybody saying, oh, we've got to do X, Y and Z. Because Travis Kelsey is where he is in his career, this offensive line has been Unstable'd be better than it was good. It could be better than it's been, but this might be the most ability that they've had. But what's going to be asked in Mahomes? What do we say every year he gets asked to do more than any quarterback in the NFL because of his person it might be more on him than we have seen it now. Eric Bienemy and Mahomes just said that he's back as Yosi b Enemy will be far more accountable than what they've had the past. Right, he'll keep guys in line. But just again, what's going to have to happen with Kenneth Walker in this run game? They're probably gonna have to score more points because this defense half of it is on other rosters in the NFL. Right now, I think this is where Patrick Mahomes is really going to show us how great. We know how great he is, but this is going to be a next level mover.
Speaker 4: I do think it's a great.
Speaker 3: First of all, we haven't talked about him despite him that much this operason, despite him being, as I've often said, the greatest player I've ever seen enter the league. And yet look, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees and Tom Brady never had a three year run of statistical decline in the middle of his prime like Mahlmes has had. Now you can look at the tape and understand that he has been better than that. But I would say at the very end of last year. They were out of answers in a way that they never had been before. And he had more value per game that he played running the ball yes qbr or Dvoa than any quarterback in the league, more than Josh Allen, more than anyone. And that's not going to be part of his arsenal this year. So they are so pass heavy. I think Eric b Enemy will help to change that, but they are the most pass heavy team in the NFL in almost every situation. It's just so much on his plate, and then you're taking away potentially his mobility this year. It is an incredible test of how great he is.
Speaker 5: So I don't think it's enough that they've done, but I do think I can understand their thought process of why they've done what they've done, which is, hey, Patrick Mahomes, how about instead of you running to send plays, we design a bleep load of screens to Kenneth Walker the best screen running in football right now, and Andy Reid the best screenplaybook in football right now, and we just say, okay, here, here's how we mitigate pressure. Here's how we get the quarterback to stop running so much and trying to do too much. We just give this, We just give this option to them. We build it into every single play as like a new type of a run pass option, like that type of a thing. It's an extension of their wide zone whatever you want to call it. Like, I think that that is exactly what they thought, like, Hey, who needs more receivers and who needs them to stay out of trouble? Right because we can just go ahead and dump it to Kenneth Walker and we've got the best screen game ever. And I just you know what I mean, Like, I just I don't know if it's gonna work, but I do think and I think it's also a part of the reason. You know, you see like some of the builds of their alignment, they're athletic, they can move with that type of bloody read you know, that type of a thing. So I really do think that that I don't know if it's gonna work, but I do think that that is legitimately what they thought.
Speaker 3: Their offensive line, if it hits, has potential to be one of the very best in the league. Josh Semons could be a top five tackle and he's leaned down. Yeah, Sue Mattea got better. Last year was a nice development story for them. They've replaced their right tackle. It's now going to be Jalen Moore, not Jewan Taylor. Like that could be better. You have Creed Humphrey and tracement. So they're going to ask for that to be a lot of work because to your point, it's like, oh wait, we're really doing Taekwon Thornton as wide receiver three for a second straight year because we're going for that. It was it was a different Mahomes last year. They started throwing deep like crazy again and it was like not that effective. It wasn't terrible, but other teams blitz them, and that used to be kryptonite against Mahomes. They didn't really have answers. They blitzed them. They were bad against blitzes. They were bad against man. It was it was a new Mahomes.
Speaker 2: He's going to get blitched one week one because they're playing Denver and Denver's guy got some dudes. You can bring smoke, but they want teams they're gonna try to get himut of the pocket to test that mo ability. I mean, he's coming off the AC on LCL, but that dude is made out of the most pliable ligaments how many times he's jacked up his ankle just bounce right up. So I think he's going to be back. But I think this is going to be, you know, the showcase of just how great he is because I think he's working with last year again, the stonewall defense has been broken down.
Speaker 3: He's more interesting this year because because of the adversity, because of the We've never seen a Chiefs team enter a season like this, Like, you know, their projected wins is going to be like nine, you know, eight and a half.
Speaker 4: Nine good?
Speaker 5: Won't somebody please give the Chiefs a chip on their shoulders right full?
Speaker 3: And what I mentioned about the three year period, Like I think he knows that. I think he's a little disappointed. Like he's a guy that has had all the team success in the world, but he wants to put up big numbers, he wants to have flashy plays.
Speaker 4: I'm excited.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm excited. He's someone we definitely and then we should not. We'd be remiss to say, you know, another injured player we probably will be talking about very quickly on the island was Lamar.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, yes, these guys will off to the side, whether they immediately get put onto the island.
Speaker 4: But that's for a month from now.
Speaker 3: Let's actually take one quick break before we let you get to your day job.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 3: You're hosting NFL Insiders on NFL Network tonight.
Speaker 4: Everyone check that out Wednesday night. But we're gonna do it. Just a little bit of news. Training camp has started. Let's go.
Speaker 2: I should have mentioned that, getting real, I.
Speaker 3: Should have mentioned right at the top. It's July twenty second, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: I'm back in.
Speaker 3: Los Angeles, by the way. We're good. So we make a trip overseas.
Speaker 4: More on that coming up on NFL Daily. But Jordan might be coming with me this then around going to Parry.
Speaker 5: Just riding on Gregg's coach.
Speaker 4: Okay, I gave it away. Yeah, we're going to Paris. We'll talk more about that some other time as we're taping this.
Speaker 5: The girl who went to Paris. You don't get that.
Speaker 3: Reference the two No, I don't Emily and Perie, I don't know. The panthers in the Arizona Cardinals have showed up to their facilities. Training camp is opening for the two Hall of Fame teams, although they didn't go as early as they could have, and so that means some of the other teams that are starting early, like the Seahawks and the Patriots, they're showing up in a couple of days. The forty nine ers in the Rams are going to be over the weekend. Everyone will be there by early next week. But yes, the Panthers and the Cardinals are in camp, and so we'll start just with them since they're the teams that are there, and you start getting these little news items. Number one, Jacoby Brissett Ian Rappaport says that there is some agreement he deserves a little more money. It sounds like this is gonna, you know, be solved. And then the Cardinals also have a starting guard, Isaiah Adams, who is facing weapons charges in his home country of Canada that sound pretty serious. So that's something will monitor with them. But I did want to ask you whis about the Panthers, who got some rough news in terms of injuries. We knew Ikiakwanmu who's on the pup list to start camp, no surprise there. He's going to miss a big chunk of the season, maybe all the season because of his knee injuries. We did not know that they're projected starting right tacker tackle Taylor Moten has a blood clot issue, and the Panthers, after this was initially reported, clarified that they're hopeful he could return at some point mid season. But that has been a real lynchpin for their entire team. And suddenly it's one thing if you're down one tackle and then he draft a player in Monroe Freeling in the first round to maybe help fill the gap, it's another thing you're now down two tackles with Taylor Moten out for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Freeling's gonna have to play right away. I mean Moten. I think they're saying the blood clot could be near as long. That's a dangerous thing. So he's gonna have to go on blood thinners and this and net. We know you get cut and things like that in the NFL, So best of luck to him getting healthy. But these are big blows. I mean, this is something you have to form a certain type of pocket with a short quarterback who's not an evasive type of guys, not Kyler Murray that you know, Bryce Young we're talking about. So you know, these are tough blows. We'll see how they adjust. A good thing is you know now, so you can plan schemes see if somebody comes available that you want to add, but depth wise and just frontline talent wise, this is not what the Carolina Panthers need, you know, especially playing in a division where you got some guys you can get after.
Speaker 3: The I doubt they knew before the draft, but we could try to find that out because Monroe Feeling was a little bit of a surprise pick there in the first round. But now they do have two guys in Rashid Walker who they picked up in free agency for Packers, who has his own injury issues, who you would assume is going to slot in at left tackle, and then the first round pick at right tackle, and Freeling that you at least have options there where most teams would not in terms of their fourth tackle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was hot. I know that some of the stuff on Freeling was like, oh, he could use a year to develop whatever. I was pretty high on him as someone who could play right away, who I thought would win that job against Rashid Waker. But it's like you at least wanted the opportunity to compete for it without that pressure right of Hey, now you're going to have to go in right away. This seems to me. I don't know this is not reported info, but this seems to me like something that gets picked up in those physicals right they're taking before camp. It's a real bummer. Like I covered Taylor Moten early in my beat writing career, really really good dude, and just like a stalwart for them who's been through so much with that organization, through ownership changes and multiple front office changes and multiple coaching changes and has always been their iron man. For something like this to take him down is really really upsetting, frankly.
Speaker 4: And we've seen Christian Barmore for the Patriots as an example of a player that came back from blood clots and played well last year.
Speaker 3: So yeah, happy betrayals, but just get wet soon, get well Taylor Moten, and I should have mentioned Jacoby Brissett. According to reports, it hasn't been confirmed Wednesday, but the expectation was he was going to show up to training camp, but he was not going to hit that right out and so as a hold in so they will see this sounds like one to me that could get solved by like the first day or or the second day, you would hope. So a couple of contracts that got signed recently. Jordan Brooks got that money from the Dolphins. Three years fifty one million dollars, thirty five million dollars guaranteed on a three year deal. So what a success story for a guy who early in his career in Seattle.
Speaker 4: We were like, is they didn't know.
Speaker 2: What to do with it with an INTI guy and outside, yeah, is.
Speaker 3: It gonna work. Great job by the Dolphins getting himlocked up. And then Devonte Wyatt, the defensive tackle. This one surprised me. Three years, fifty seven million dollar extension, twenty million dollar signing bonus.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 3: I know you you you know have talked about Brooks is one of the weight bearing wall, weight bearing walls of their sprint rebuild, and they put their money where their mouth is.
Speaker 5: I am starting, I'm clocking this. It's on my radar that they're being very adamant that they're calling them pillars in Miami, not weight bearing walls. I do think that pillars just makes you feel a little bit better about yourself, like body wise, probably.
Speaker 4: You don't want to just copy the rams, you want to get better.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, and honestly, like, look, I understand, like this is a exorbitant, historic amount of dead money, not just this year, but some of it spread into next year. It's almost impossible. I get that. All I'm saying is, this is how a sprint rebuild works. This is very expected. It is to me. They have a plan. They're following that plan, whether it works or not. I personally am higher on the Dolphins than most, not at the beginning of this year, but by the end of this year and into next year. And I just think that it just makes all of this makes a lot of sense. You're one of the best players in the league right now on that side of the ball. And he also is certainly someone who he is going to be a bridge with their young linebackers that they just drafted. It's like Jacob Rodriguez and then I forget his name Lewis, and I forget Lewis and and there they are going to play early.
Speaker 2: Lewis a good player.
Speaker 4: Yes, so by the way, you're not going to see him in the new assistant But it.
Speaker 2: Comes to the Dolphins, I'm most When you say you're higher on it, I'm most You're most.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I noticed you're talking about building the pocket around the quarterback with the two tackles that kind of I mean, you're looking at our pocket right here around Greg. Oh, yeah, we got a pretty solid one. We got a pretty solid one.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, you're looking more. I trying to think of like Andrew Whitworth over there next to me with the what.
Speaker 4: Do I look like? Greg?
Speaker 5: Just kidding, don't answer that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I won't answer that.
Speaker 3: I'm a little surprised Avaunt whye who I didn't think you know it was injury plague last year.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of money for him.
Speaker 3: You do you do sometimes wonder about, you know, the the extra edge you get when your GM wants to be proven right.
Speaker 2: Some of it is also how to just help our locker room. You got a good player, want to build around and the show that if you go through it and you do it the right way, we're gonna pay you. Other guys look at it, and I think that's another Jordan Brooks thing as well.
Speaker 3: They've they've spent money on a lot of players over the years, and sometimes it's been re signings on guys that were just okay. You know Goda Kunstant and all the resources he spent on that defense over the years, just to be Okay, Sam Laporta was cleared for training camp.
Speaker 4: That was great, huge news for the Lions.
Speaker 3: And yet I mentioned that the Seahawks are showing up this week and the Patriots are a little earlier, so we're already getting these like pup lists. I get a little tingle when I see the reports. I don't want anyone to go on a on a pup list, but I'm just saying, like, Okay, now it's happening.
Speaker 4: Zach Sharboney started.
Speaker 2: But then the nick Emon Warry one, get your attention.
Speaker 3: Nick Eman worry, got my attention. Harold Landry for the Patriots was another one. Sharbonay is one when it comes to the Seahawks, though, I did think it was interesting. Our insider Ian Rappaport said, the Devin Witherspoon contract extension, he believes much closer.
Speaker 4: They're working very hard on it. Then a Christian Gonzales extension.
Speaker 2: Same agency. Yeah, but we'll see. See. I don't wants to get it done.
Speaker 4: It sounds like they're kind of racing to make that thing happen.
Speaker 5: Well, and who at least one side is racing to see what the other guy gets. They can try to ask.
Speaker 3: For more well, I would imagine, and I could be wrong, that Christian Gonzales is one going to be in the Patrick stan neighborhood, whereas Witherspoon might get that slot discount.
Speaker 2: They're both thirty million dollars range. It's as Gardner contracts at the bar.
Speaker 3: Chris Bell went to the reserve NFI list. That was a Day three pick that I really loved from the Miami Dolphins. So yeah, these transactions are already starting.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 4: Going he said, No, I like need some Chris Bell. He's coming off. That's no surprise.
Speaker 3: The Seahawks, by the way, will be the hard knocks team this year, so who knows. We might have a Devin Witherspoon hold in or contract signing as one of the stories there.
Speaker 4: And then you know before we go.
Speaker 3: Just I like to say goodbye to these players when they retire and not forget about them. How about Niko Autry. Good NFL career, great NFL career if you if you think about where he came from and everything, but always an underrated player. He is retiring, So happy trails to Deniko are happy trails?
Speaker 4: How many years was he in the NFL?
Speaker 3: A twenty fourteen draft pick uh twelve, East Mississippi Community College, and then.
Speaker 2: I think I think the city hard knocks you about the hard knock. Was it the last chance? Was he? I think East Mississippi was the last ancies.
Speaker 4: But yeah, he started with the Raiders, Colts, Titans, Texans. So that's it for didn't Nico Autry And that's it for the news. We're just we're just sprinkling a little bit of news right now. You know what else we've been sprinkling in our timeline over the last careful New year or so. Power Players with Jordan rod Rieg. We got another episode coming on Thursday. Who do you got so excited?
Speaker 5: We've got Ram's assistant general manager, John McKay. We're going to talk a little bit about what they do differently, what's copyable, what's not copyable around the league in terms of their scouting and talent identification process. We're going to talk some Miles Garrett behind the scenes, might tuck a little Aaron Donald. Okay, well, we'll see.
Speaker 3: So that will be our show on Thursday, and then Jordan and I will be back on Friday with the first of our around the Division previews, starting with the a f C West and we'll also hit any news that pops up.
Speaker 4: Hit that music. Eric, Let's get on.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, this was so fun today, guys.
Speaker 2: How about this has been to call from one of my favorite baseball players of all time.
Speaker 3: I saw that Vince Coleman is calling Steve Weiss right now, and I'm like, is it that Vince Coleman's steals one? Steve Weiss is the best? Thank you Steve for joining us. We'll have your next time on QB Island until bet We'll see