Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shot, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoler, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Nicky is wondering why in the world are we playing the fight song on a What day is today? Wednesday? Well, it's our last show of the week. We're gonna win the bye this week. That's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 4: I thought it was for the Rangers.
Speaker 3: Well that too. This is mix It is a special edition of Mixed Shots, of course, because we've got the great Christie Scales joining us for the next forty five minutes here on Mix Shots.
Speaker 5: Hello Christy, I'm glad to be Thank you to Everson Walls for letting me sit in his seat this time. You know, Everson and I actually went to the same junior high.
Speaker 6: Not the same years, but yeah, we grew up near each other.
Speaker 5: I went to we both went to Forest Madter Junior High and then he ended up going to Berkner and I went to Lake Highlands. I think his family had moved that. But yes, and we've also have combined fifty seven career interceptions in our nfl R.
Speaker 3: You have that in common too.
Speaker 4: This is a mixed show, right that you mixed us a mixed a mix, A mixed, mixed mix, mixed.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Monday as well. So I'm going to have to put up with me one more time. But appreciate being with you guys.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's great, it's great. And uh, we just play that Stampede the old Cowboys fight song on on Fridays and fabulous football fight song Friday and after a day after a win, so we played Yeah, we played it four times on Mondays.
Speaker 6: And when do you.
Speaker 5: Play the Charlie Pride Dallas Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: It's not bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, cool to get that one going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's incorporate that into the arsenal there, Mickey, what do you think? I don't know.
Speaker 4: We're not big on change in this shows.
Speaker 3: I wonder why Mickey was in a sour mood all.
Speaker 6: Last week because of San Francisco.
Speaker 5: You didn't you were you not feeling great about the matchups going into Losong.
Speaker 4: Was nothing to celebrate after that game, he was reflecting the mood of the building.
Speaker 3: I think last week.
Speaker 5: So after the first two drives Monday night and so Cowboys quick out on offense and then the Chargers drive down, are you thinking, oh no.
Speaker 3: Yes, but things change. And then yesterday, Christy he was back in that Mickey mood of last week because we spent a whole segment I think talking about the punt play. We're not talking about it today. Let's yeah, we're not talking about it today. Well let's start things off by getting Christie's take. What do you say on where this team stands at the by I just taped the Mike McCarthy show moments ago, and well, we need to get your take.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got the Did he use the roller coaster analogy that he used in his Tuesday afternoon press conference talking about the highs and lows of the season and it's a roller coaster ride? And he said roller coaster rides are fun And I'm thinking to myself, I love roller coaster rides, but they also make me a little nauseous as well.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 6: So what did Mike have to say?
Speaker 3: Well, and along those lines, you know the importance of that win over the Chargers cannot be understated because you go to the buy and or the three and three rare, especially with the opportunity that was presented this team by the Eagles losing to the Jets. I mean, you go into Sunday play, and there was a chance the Cowboys were going to be three games out of first place. They come out of the game on Monday night and they're one game out, and by the time they get back to work on next Monday, they could be a half game out of first place because the Dolphins play the Eagles on Sunday night. But he's in good spirits in some ways. Especially the early part of this week is just as busy as a regular week because you're on a different type schedule and there's things you're trying to get done early in the week so that you can take a few days off to go want your daughter play volleyball, or one of his daughters. The ninth grader, it's homecoming this week Preston Wood Christian Academy, and so he's got homecoming festivities that start with a parade on Wednesday, and he's going to try to play dad and be able to be out there.
Speaker 4: Told him Grand Marshall, or.
Speaker 3: I told him. Yeah, I think they probably scheduled their homecoming around the Cowboys bye week so that Mike McCarthy could be there.
Speaker 5: As I bet where he grew up in Pittsburgh and where the girls grew up in Wisconsin before coming down here, that they're not used to moms that are the size of this mixed shot logo here.
Speaker 3: It was the first thing he said, Well, you know how what homecoming is like in Texas, and now I'm a homecoming dad. The other thing, I made him our unsung star of the week. Why is that because of his call sheet and the reviews that covering his lips as he called in the plays. I actually thought of it, and he talked about it in his press conference yesterday, but about his mom calling him. But I thought about it during the game on Monday night. I'm sitting there on the close up shots and watching on television. It was almost as if he was making a conscious effort. Okay, he would start the play call and then during the play call he would purposely lift the call sheet up, And so I asked him about that, and yeah, it's very much on his mind, he said. He said that his mother said that five people came up to it her at church and said, Mike has got to do something about this call on the place. He's got to lift that call sheet up. But now the funt he's got to deal with the fund. The front size is too b it's.
Speaker 5: Too big, and people can read it. They'll be zooming in and.
Speaker 3: He may have a game day roll for you. You could be on the Cowboys sideline and you're the you could be the shield on the on the call sheet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm too short. Plus I need the thing at sixteen point too, by the way, to be able to read it. But I tell you what do people watch?
Speaker 3: You guys watch that we're watching the game and they show a.
Speaker 5: Close they're sewing it on TV on TV, we don't get that literally where I stand behind him. Oftentimes, usually the sideline reporter can get to about the thirty yard line, and then of course, if the plays are down, especially if the plays are in the red zone, then the coach is going to be kind of sneaking down the sideline as much as possible while still staying in the coach's box, so to speak. But oftentimes I'm close enough standing behind them that I can read the sheets.
Speaker 6: Oh sure, Yeah, because it's some but it's not English.
Speaker 5: Well you can you can see it train right, scout right.
Speaker 6: I mean it's not that it's not that hard, you know.
Speaker 5: So I don't want to give any route combos five twenty five, but you know, but.
Speaker 6: Yeah you can, of course you can read it.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But going back to Monday night, though, we were talking about how after those first two drives, you're thinking, oh man, here we go. You know, the Chargers just marched right down and this looks like it might be Kellen Moore's night. But the way that the Cowboys offense answered what would have been the third drive of the game overall, the Cowboys said drive on offense. That's the one that resulted in the Dak Prescott eighteen yard touchdown run. And that's when you're like, okay, game on. I mean you could really there are points in the game on the sideline where you can feel things turned. And it's generally more second half or obviously, if it's a catalytic play like a takeaway or something like that, those things are very obvious, but there are also more subtle times where you can just kind of feel it, like the screws tightening down so to speak. And I really felt it at the end of that drive. And then when the Chargers go back out and the Cowboys defense gets the three and out, it's like, all right, here we go. This is going to be Cowboys night. Because after those first two it's like, oh gosh, this might be San Francisco all over again.
Speaker 3: It felt like it was going to be the Cowboys night. And then it wasn't until Tony Poler wrote free for a sixty yard run it started feeling again. Yeah, it really was. You felt like it was one of those games where the Cowboys appeared to be the better team but they couldn't.
Speaker 6: Getn't put him away.
Speaker 5: But the way that they consistently harassed Justin Herbert, to me, that's what was really the difference in the game. Because Justin Herbert. I was so excited about going to the game because I love to watch, like I love to watch Aaron Rodgers play non Cowboy, He's my favorite player to watch. But Justin Herbert, and we got to see him in training camp last summer when the Cowboys practiced at Cosa Mesa, and they've got so many weapons, you know, Keenan Allen a lot bigger guy than he looks on TV. And I know Austin Eckler had been coming off the ankle injury, and I don't think he looked like the Austin Eckler that you normally see. But still I was so excited about seeing this Chargers offense and Justin Herbert operated. And yeah, I think that that left finger injury affected things. The fact that he had to be in the shotgun the entire game, the fact that by the end of the first quarter there were so many any Cowboys fans making it so loud that the home team is operating on a silent count. How embarrassing for the Chargers. But the way that the Cowboys continually affected Herbert and made him look non Justin Herbert that I thought that was the storyline in the game, because they were able to stop the run and put it all on the passing game and then able to get after him in the passing game and with the pass.
Speaker 3: Runs and along those lines, even on the two overthrows of Keenan Allen okay on.
Speaker 5: The oh yeah, Bland got lucky on that, but they were affected because.
Speaker 3: Herbert was even if they weren't getting to him on those passes, he's in his mind, he doesn't know. But what Michael Parson Parsons is breathing down his neck here, you know, and exactly right. So he's trying to get it out quicker than what he normally would.
Speaker 4: Well, they better thank pressure the defense because the offense is still malfunctioning. I mean, you can talk about the game being turned around, but until the final play of the first half it was seven to seven. They were not performing offensively. They had a fourth and four at the eighteen and ended up having a punt after a penalty. One of what eleven those guys were flag happy. By the way, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Land Clark, don't give that was written Clark.
Speaker 5: We were joking yesterday on Girls Talk, Boys Talk, I said that Land Clark got more shots in an NFL game than Taylor Swift at Travis Kelcey. I mean, they were showing him the whole time. Got lee If he got paid by announcement after a flag, he'd be a rich.
Speaker 6: Man after that game.
Speaker 5: But what do you guys see with the problems with the Cowboys run game, because that is still such a huge issue.
Speaker 4: The offensive line and just not playing well. You know, we thought that getting all five guys back together again for the first time since the end of twenty twenty one, that that was going to solve all their problems. In the last two games. They haven't protected Dak very well and they haven't run the ball very well. I mean, five sacks, six quarterback hits. That's that's way too many from a defense that wasn't a team known for its defense. I'm not sure you know what the deal is. McCarthy talked about how they kind of switched things up.
Speaker 3: And talked about the unscattered looks that they right, they haven't seen before coming out of a bye. That's one thing that McCarthy was concerned about coming into the game too, since the Chargers were coming out of the buy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that movement on the line, interior of the line, the defensive line run.
Speaker 4: And you know, other than two guys, it's still somewhat of a young group. So yeah, I mean, there was the one play where I'm assuming Tyler Smith was supposed to pick up the guy coming from his right, but when he backed up, he was turned to left and the guy just ran right through. And yeah, they just had some blocking scheme problems and it's got to improve because you know, a lot of what they did offensively, you know, you mentioned the play to Tony Pollard, Well, that wasn't the play Dak, right, Yeah, Dak scrambling and I'm sure the quarterback keeper for eighteen yard touchdown wasn't designed to be a touchdown either. So a lot of what they accomplished offensively was, you know, not on that play script that you saw. You know, Dak was having to improvise quite a bit in that game. And that's something that this offense has got to get going, because it's still not functioning the way it needs to function until what two minutes and nineteen seconds to go, they'd scored seventeen points. It's got to be better.
Speaker 5: On that eighteen yard touchdown run, of course, one where he fakes the hand off to Tony Pollard, Hey, Pollard, Pollard thought he had that. I mean, he was clamped down on it and and Dak literally rested it away from the running back. And you could see that that Dak kind of bobbled it a little bit as he was pulling the football away from Tony Pollard, but you know it was it was so convincing Paullard thought he had it, that that the defense was crashing in on it, and so that's that's why it was open for Dak to to take it all the way in from eighteen yards out.
Speaker 6: But yeah, you know see it.
Speaker 5: It's like when I saw Dak pull the ball away, I'm like, oh, because you know, Tony, like I said, he was already down on it. It ended up being a great play and a really good decision by Dak Prescott, but a little dangerous when he pulled it down.
Speaker 4: The defense then thought so too. Yeah, he crouched on it on pollar.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Pollard paid the price.
Speaker 4: For don And even out after I heard some of the highlights, Brad had to apologize because he had called it.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, totally, totally.
Speaker 3: The one I thought too.
Speaker 4: I was looking that way, and all of a sudden, I heard the crowd and I go whire, somebody cheering for a minus three run. And then I looked and he's Sam scampering into the end.
Speaker 3: I think Dak saw what he saw on film from the San Francisco game and he wasn't gonna let that.
Speaker 4: How much and how much?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there were opportunities in that game where he could have pulled it and run too, and he wasn't about to let that happen, that opportunity slip away in this game and wound up in the end zone. So, speaking of Dak, how about this when we come back here on mix shots, It's going to be interesting to hear Mickey's reaction to one of the grades given to Dak Prescott for his performance on Monday night when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 4: Nothing to bark about when he gets an a.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and.
Speaker 3: They snapped the press guy who looks it's not there.
Speaker 4: He escaped flapp He'll look for a punch down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 1: Prescott's gonna rub this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 6: You know that sound anywhere?
Speaker 8: It's the crisp crunch that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of fool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 3: That's what I like.
Speaker 2: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite would a pairing can cracks, a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes followed by Monday Mornings. Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest School. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three. Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 4: De Mixed Shots, Kpost and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 3: Mickey back in his old role of reading the spots as Savannah Humol or not with us today. Christy Scales is here as we mix things up during this bye week. And Christy, I don't know if you've ever heard Mickey in the past go off on some of these grades that are given to players by a certain organization in the past. But he's going to love the fact that Dak Prescott was rated. He was actually tied with Matthew Stafford out of Highland Park High School with the highest grade of any quarterback in the league in Week six, according to Pro Football Focus.
Speaker 6: Mickey, what is that Mickey's favorite?
Speaker 4: It doesn't It doesn't show up on my laptop for some reason.
Speaker 3: Well, what do you think of? How did they get one right?
Speaker 4: How hard is this. He finished with a quarterback rating of one h nine point three. You don't have to be an analytic genius to figure out that he played pretty darn well right.
Speaker 3: And there were thirty teams that played. There were only two teams that had buys this week, so well.
Speaker 5: But it's interesting that he got an A because if you read only a couple of columns of the stat line, one TD pass Okay, sacked five times.
Speaker 6: Oh, he must have been horrible.
Speaker 5: But and it's true he was sacked five times, but it was really what he did with his legs extending plays. We talked about running for the first touchdown of the game. But I think that was the difference, is that of all the games that just the six games we've had this year, and we got to see more of that part of the game that we saw early in his of his game that we saw early in his career.
Speaker 6: That's what made the difference.
Speaker 4: You're being too logical when they give those grades out There ye no logic or analyzation in it. It's all analytics. They what did the numbers say? Well, he completed like sixty nine percent or seventy percent of his passes and he had a season high two hundred and seventy two yards. They don't factor that stuff in.
Speaker 5: They don't put in that he's the leading rusher in the game for your team, which you don't want.
Speaker 6: You don't want your quarterback.
Speaker 3: To be the leading Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 4: I guess, well that's true.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little different, but.
Speaker 3: Even they don't want that. But we were talking about it yesterday. Okay, coming into the weekend, if you were to rank just based on not if you were to rank we were talking from a national perspective, Brock Purty, Jalen Hurtz, Justin Herbert, Dak Prescott, what order would they go in?
Speaker 5: Just going into the weekend shoot after seeing Brock perty from the sideline the previous week and what they did to the Cowboys, he looked like the second coming right.
Speaker 3: I mean I had him so now, boy game, I had him as the MVP winner.
Speaker 4: It would have been one. As I said yesterday, I had been one, two, three, and ten.
Speaker 3: Uh huh with back at ten.
Speaker 4: But you know, check this out.
Speaker 3: But you come out of the weekend and party was very pedestrian like with his numbers against the Browns.
Speaker 5: Have to give it to PJ with the Browns is now the second coming.
Speaker 3: And then uh and then Herts threw three picks in his loss, and then Justin Herbert on the other side. We saw them matched up against each other and it was obvious who won that quarterback battle.
Speaker 4: So when I was coming in, the fan was playing were they playing something?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: It was they were playing Micah's podcast, okay, and he was Michael was on a rant about so when these other three quarterbacks played so pearly in their in their losses, how come the nation doesn't criticize them the way they criticized Dak when he has a bad game, and he just went on and on and on and on right, and so it for some reason I had to look, and they only have six touchdown passes in six games. That's just not going to cut it, right. So something's got to improve greatly with this offense. I think the wide receivers only have three of those.
Speaker 5: Maybe well CD had his and then Brandon Cooks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm saying for the sixth seasons for the season, and then the tight ends have two and I guess they had maybe four it was, but anyway, six and six games, and when I hear all these people talking about Dak, they seem to forget that very recently, in twenty twenty one, he had forty touchdown passes in eleven interceptions. So it's like that was his last full season. Last year, playing what twelve games eleven and a half, really twelve games, he had twenty three touchdown passes, and we know about the interceptions. But in twenty twenty one he showed he's capable of doing this right. Forty touchdown passes and eleven interceptions. He was awfully, awfully good, and I think people forget that that, Okay, he's got all this stuff to prove, well, the team has all this stuff to prove too. By the way, you know, he wasn't responsible for giving up what twenty three points and that playoff loss to San Francisco after that season, and you know he had the team on the move until they couldn't get the clock stopped in time. So anyway, they forget that good stuff and they hang on last year's fifteen interceptions, which half of those were not his fault. So yeah, and I think that just it's a national deal right now, pick on Dak Prescott. But Micah doesn't understand it's the Cowboys, and this is the way it's always been, win or lose, They're always most prominent in other people's analyzation.
Speaker 5: What do you see as the biggest issue with just the six touchdown passes. We've talked about how the run game needs to improve. Have we had enough of the through six games to get a good feel for what McCarthy's trying to do well.
Speaker 4: I think the biggest problem was how they won the first what yeah, blowout wins.
Speaker 6: Yeah, out wins.
Speaker 4: I mean they were so far ahead of the Giants and then it was raining and there was no sense taking chances. There was no sense after they got ahead of the Jets taken chances.
Speaker 3: Arizona they were missing three offensive linemen, right.
Speaker 4: Uh that one knew England they got up so much on them.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so you got three of the games there were blowout wins that you're not going to get and the defense was scoring touchdowns as well, and that's how you were getting ahead in those games, and so.
Speaker 4: And then you had a blowout loss. So you're now you're taking chances that you probably normally wouldn't take. And he gets internet's the three picks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but do you do, you guys have confidence moving forward that we'll see some of that production that we saw.
Speaker 4: I have not seen it yet that the way it needs to be. Now, you know, maybe this offensive line gets together and gets a little bit of continuity, maybe they can get going.
Speaker 3: But and you've seen that in years past with offensive line where you get your five guys in there. McCarthy talks about September football, and that's why products I think of September football. It takes time, without any preseason games for an off defensive line to come together. Well, okay, let's just if you're going to give them the benefit of the doubt. They've got all five guys together now for two weeks. Now you got to buy a week. Now, let's see what happens. And they buy next week and the Eagles game, they should be.
Speaker 4: Right like not have because there was a lot of I think assignment errors that they didn't adjust to as well as they needed to. You know, and in that vein mentioned say going forward, I thought dan Quinn made a really good assessment yesterday when he did his media availability, he said he said, you know, all we did last week was look back, and he goes in my message to them by time we got to the game was we're looking forward. And he had a really good analogy. He said, when you saw in bolt Is running his one hundred meter dat, he's not looking to the side and he's not looking back, He's looking forward right, and he goes and that's what we need to do. And you know what, it reminded me of the nineteen eighty eight Olympics in Seoul. I'm sitting in the stands watching the one hundred meter final and it was going to be Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson right head to head, and they were about halfway through the hundred, and Carl Lewis does this, He looks sideways to his left, and they got to about seventy meters, he looks sideways again and he sees Ben Johnson in front of him, and he looked sideways a third time right, and Ben Johnson just smokes him to win the hundred until they had to do the.
Speaker 6: P test and then strip the medals.
Speaker 4: And then they stripped the medal from Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis was the winner. But it just dawned and I can see it vividly that you know when you run a dash. You're not looking to see where your guys are. You're looking straight ahead, right. And I can remember little league playing baseball and like run into first base. It's like, don't be looking where the ball is, run right, because that's going to slow you down.
Speaker 3: Put blinders on.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 4: And so I thought Quinn's words yesterday and what he told his defense made a lot of sense. You know, you can sit there and linger on giving up forty two points, but you don't want it to bleed into the next game. And they did a much better job against you know, the quarterback that had the third best quarterback rating in the league going into that game.
Speaker 5: And I think that the blinders and looking forward and not to the side, is something that players and coaches are used to, they really are.
Speaker 6: It's the fans in the media. We're the ones looking around and.
Speaker 4: So we're looking backwards.
Speaker 6: We're looking backwards.
Speaker 5: But also, just in regards to what we were talking about earlier, Cleveland with the surprise win over the Eagles and then San Francisco looking terrible and their entire offense guys injured, losing.
Speaker 6: It at Cleveland, and so you know, the.
Speaker 5: Cowboys can't control that they have to stay focused. But the one thing that was interesting last week following the San Francisco game, and it's because there was a Monday night game at the Chargers, but using that Wednesday to look back make more corrections against the forty nine Ers, that was really different. I don't ever recall that with some other or at least they didn't talk about it if other staffs did that, because generally it is that twenty.
Speaker 6: Four hour rule.
Speaker 5: You put it to bed by Monday afternoon, what happened Sunday, and then start moving forward and working on the next opponent. And yet it was really more of a seventy two hour rule just in terms of how they approached the week going into the Chargers, because they really.
Speaker 6: They didn't have a game.
Speaker 5: Plan installation until Thursday on the practice field.
Speaker 6: So I thought that was really interesting and unique.
Speaker 3: And yet so they looked back on Wednesday because they had the extra day the Monday night game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they wouldn't have done it if it weren't.
Speaker 3: Currently who ever talked in the chapel. Yes, yes, really resonated with the team about that was the message looking.
Speaker 6: Forward, and they took it. They took it to heart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, took care of business on Monday night. All right, we look forward when we come back here on mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 2: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: Cowboys, Foot and Miller Lyte. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday.
Speaker 3: Mornings Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker.
Speaker 9: Miller Lte and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lyte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time.
Speaker 3: Celebrate Responsibly.
Speaker 9: Twenty twenty three Miler Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapper.
Speaker 3: The press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 8: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping a school pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi that's what.
Speaker 3: I like to mixed shuts.
Speaker 4: The twenty twenty four PBR World Finals are taking over at AT and T Stadium on May eighteenth and nineteen. Don't miss your chance to see the biggest and best bull riding action as the world's best riders fight for the coveted gold Buckle. It all comes down to this. Two day ticket packages are now on sale now at seat geek dot com, the official ticketing partner of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 3: So it's May eighteenth.
Speaker 4: May eighteenth.
Speaker 3: That shows you how big of an event that That just struck me.
Speaker 4: It's today, eighteenth.
Speaker 6: October eight Yeah, because this is the finals. This isn't this is it. This isn't just one of the things.
Speaker 5: You know, like in the past, the PBR would be there at AT and T Stadium for Dirt Month, right after motocross and after monster Trucks and all that.
Speaker 6: But this is the final.
Speaker 5: So getting having our North Texas region have an AT and T Stadium rust this away from Vegas, you know a few years back, it's a big dang deal.
Speaker 6: You're so big gang deal.
Speaker 3: Seven months in advance because it's such the baseball season is still going on and they'll be in the second month of the season.
Speaker 4: But May eighteenth, that's great.
Speaker 3: May eighteenth at and T Stadium. All right, this is Cowboys players are off until Monday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but there's some here today.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean they don't have to be here until.
Speaker 4: I think it's a young guys need to be okay, and there may be some workouts going on too.
Speaker 3: What does what does Mickey think of giving the team the full week off?
Speaker 4: Well, they have to give them four days four days for sure. You know, by time you got back, you already forfeited Tuesday. So what are you going to do today?
Speaker 3: You know, it's almost cliche that what are you going to get done during the bye that every team always said, Oh, the bye comes at a good time.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did the math on it, and it's been thirteen weeks now since the team landed in Oxnard, California for the start of training camp.
Speaker 4: So it's always a good time.
Speaker 3: So that's that's a quarter of a year that we've been at it right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's good for us to have.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: The one thing though, is the league with the scheduling, cost the Cowboys a day and a half of bye week because it's a Monday night. It was a Monday night game instead of a Sunday and it being a night game and flying back. We actually landed fairly early, about three twenty in the morning, three twenty five, three twenty five. Mick and I were next to each other on the plane, so we were five minutes early. We're supposed to get in at three thirty. But when you and we've had three of these overnight away games, and so that costs you half a day because instead of coming in the next morning and being done by the early afternoon, now you're coming in early afternoon and you're done late afternoon. So basically the scheduling costs the guys a day and a half.
Speaker 6: Of their off week.
Speaker 5: And you know, McCarthy would have probably you know, given it to them and not have them come in for a day of practice this week. So I think the loop the league really did a job on us this year.
Speaker 4: Because if it was a home game, they would have come in on Monday, done their normal Monday schedule of lifting and jogged through and then you would have Tuesday off.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, even if it were in away game, if on Sunday, normal, yeah, normally away were way game but the good news is at least with some of these evening games that are coming up through the remainder of the season, at least they're at home, so that you know, that's somewhere and tear when you have all of these in so many such a condensed amount of amount of time that we've had early in the season.
Speaker 3: Wellccarthy talked about it. He looks at it this year, just the way the schedule falls, with the bye week and then the back to back Thursday games, Thanksgiving, in the in the last game in November on November thirtieth, you're looking at when they come back, they get six games in the span of thirty three days.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean the good news, you know, at least you have that one stretch where it's the three home games. That's really unusual to have three in a row at home. And part of that's that condensed time with the Thursdays.
Speaker 4: But is the Philly game a night game.
Speaker 3: Not Sunday night game at Philly That will be the right after the day after the Rangers beat the Phillies in the Game seven of the World Series.
Speaker 5: Just got it so we can be in Arlington, so's we don't get to celebrate.
Speaker 3: Rangers have home field advantage if they get to the World Series, whether they play Arizona or Philadelphia, and the Phillies are up to nothing in their series now. So if it if it comes down to Rangers Phillies, if now the Rangers win every postseason game, so it's.
Speaker 6: Not going to We're not going to get to seven, right So.
Speaker 3: But that means the Rangers would win in Philadelphia the World Series.
Speaker 5: But anyway, so Nckey and I will climb the street lamps in Philadelphia since the Phillies fans won't be doing that, right.
Speaker 3: So, but Game six and seven would be here on Friday night and Saturday night November third and fourth, and the Cowboys play at Philadelpiaya.
Speaker 5: So we'll be watching from the team hotel in Philadelphia, watching them in Arlington games.
Speaker 4: Somebody walking around like I did Sunday night with my phone in my hand, watching.
Speaker 5: When we're climbing the street lamps, they're going to have to grease the street crews are going to have to street grease the street lamps like they do.
Speaker 3: I did ask Mike McCarthy how big of a baseball fan he has been in his life, and he said, well, not recently, but once upon a time in my other life, before I got into this, I was a big baseball fan. But he said that they did watch the Rangers Astros at the team hotel on Sunday night. So I would think Dak's going to be out there watching.
Speaker 4: Some baseball, you know, yeah, tonight.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 4: They'll probably get a sweet don't you think that Dak.
Speaker 3: Dak is a big supporter of all the local teams. Yeah. Yeah, So but you come back, are you going to be there? I am going to be there. Yep, that's right.
Speaker 4: Do you need somebody?
Speaker 3: As people ask back, but when they come back, okay, you got the Rams on October twenty ninth, okay, and the noon game at yeah, it is then November, which, by the way, that would be doing the math on it. Games one and two of the World Series would be Friday, Saturday.
Speaker 4: You're looking way ahead, you're fouling the chapel.
Speaker 3: And that would be the twenty seventh and twenty eighth is games one and two, and so I was trying to figure out if the Rangers and Cowboys will be playing on the same day in Arlington. But I don't believe there's a baseball game schedule for that Sunday, the twenty ninth. Okay, so the Rams at noon and then Philadelphia. Then you got the Giants here here at Carolina, and then you close out November Thanksgiving with Thanksgiving Day, Washington, Thanksgiving Day Seattle. That ends the next trimester. Okay, then you come back with on December tenth, you get the Mini by there and then we've talked about this, but when the schedule came out, but just to review, yes, the last quote unquote trimester of this season for the Calvin Voice. Now that we know what these teams have done, here are the first six games first six weeks. Philadelphia at home December tenth, at Buffalo December seventeenth, at Miami Christmas Eve, then home to play Detroit on December thirtieth, and then close at Washington. Those four straight games Philadelphia, at Buffalo, at Miami and Detroit. How about that?
Speaker 4: Better?
Speaker 3: Better take care of business stock in some wins, which I don't know if I've got the Eagles schedule in front of me here here it is, I do you have it? Now? The Eagles have this stretch coming up where okay, they got Miami Sunday night. Then they play at Washington, and they always have problems with Washington. Okay, it was a thirty four to thirty one overtime win their first meeting, and this one's at Washington. Then they played Dallas and they get to buy. Then they get Monday Night November twentieth at Kansas City, Oh, Sunday November twenty sixth, Buffalo O Sunday, December third, San Francisco ouch Sunday December tenth at Dallas. So they got a four game stretch there of Kansas City, Buffalo, San Francisco, Dallas.
Speaker 5: So we get them after San Francisco. So wow, yeah, after they play San Francisco.
Speaker 3: And of course nobody wins the week after they play.
Speaker 4: San Francisco, right, doesn't look like nobody wins after the week they play the.
Speaker 5: Cowboy exactly min Wow. But here's the thing, you can't. It's just like we were talking about with Cleveland taking care of business on the you just I know.
Speaker 6: We all do it. But remember you got to keep keep looking forward.
Speaker 5: Don't be Carl Lewis, built, don't be Carl Lewis, keep looking forward.
Speaker 3: The day after the San Francisco game. And I know, since you're doing the games, you are aware of this going into the San Francisco game. But the day after the San Francisco game, I'm sitting there looking at the forty nine ers roster, going they haven't lost a single player to injury this season. If they went through the first five games of the season and there were only five players who were on either pup or injured on the injured list, three of them were rookies and two of them were second year players who were not primary backup.
Speaker 5: Yes, Iuk had missed one game and that was it. And then they had a cornerback that had missed a game and that was it. Everything else was the same. They had had all their The main thing is their starting offensive line.
Speaker 3: So then then they got what happened at Cleveland. Debo goes out early in that game, McCaffrey goes out, Trent Williams went out for a little bit and then came back.
Speaker 6: I returned right, Yeah, he came back.
Speaker 3: But he was playing on one leg. It makes a difference.
Speaker 4: And again inciting a fight before the game.
Speaker 5: Again, well he was Well, what's so funny is when I'm reading this about the pregameff scuffle before the game at Cleveland. They're saying, and Trent Williams stepped in as peacemaker.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I don't think so.
Speaker 6: He may have. He may have at the end, but instigator, Oh my good.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: That's uh.
Speaker 4: They're going to have to start doing something about it.
Speaker 5: No, really, and something has to be done because what happened before the game with the Chargers, and a lot of it is logistics. And I know that not every stadium has multiple tunnels, you know, for entry points, or it's not like at and T Stadium where they come behind the bench, you know, the fifty yard line and each can come in from their respective sides. But you're asking for trouble when you have one team crossed through the other team to get to their side of the field for pregame. Okay, So there are some logistical things or some timing things that can be done because finds and I imagine that there will be some fines this week for all that that happened, not just with Cowboys Chargers or with Cleveland and San Francisco. It's not really a deterrent. When it's a heat of the moment kind of thing. You know it's punitive, but I don't think it's preventive, because you know, they're just reacting in the heat of the moment exactly exactly like I say, too much testosterone in too much of a confined space. Is what happened between the forty and the fifty yard line, right in front of the Cowboys bench, when the Cowboys defensive line ran past and through the Chargers defensive back pregame drill, Drill.
Speaker 4: I told you how to fix that, Just let them warm up on the other side of the field.
Speaker 6: But they they then then the other teams crossing through. So that's the point is.
Speaker 4: You have to be they would have came around the back of the end zone and came down their sideline. They don't need to instead of the Chargers were picking up. Instead of halfing the field from the fifty, you should half it down the middle. This is your side and this is the cow We've.
Speaker 5: Got the crips and the blood that's right, We've got the jets and.
Speaker 4: The criss crossing of young men jacked up the play.
Speaker 5: That's what That's what I put in my h I do contribute to sports Day Online, Dallas Morningnews dot Com, and I said, we had the ghosts brusters don't cross the streams, and we had the streams cross in pregame and just bad things happens cross.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, you know, no nine routes.
Speaker 4: It's everything across the middle. You know, run your stuff right down the sideline.
Speaker 7: I don't know how make he's going to figure that one out.
Speaker 4: You just run the nine route from the twenty to the next twenty straight down on the sideline.
Speaker 3: Well, twelve forty five looks like that shot clock got us agin.
Speaker 6: No, we were just getting going.
Speaker 4: Thank all the assistant coaches are done talking by.
Speaker 3: Now, I think, so. Yeah, yeah, they moved it up a half hour.
Speaker 6: I know, Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 4: We got the little extra scot us a half hour and.
Speaker 6: Then on Monday with mixed shots.
Speaker 5: Hopefully I get to come back and see you guys on Monday, and you know they'll be having there across the hall meetings and so that's going to be interesting and fund to talk about. So I look about what happened though, Well no, but you know, it is something interesting. There are some things that this staff does that are different from previous staffs, and the way that coach handles the young coaches on the staff and all of these extra young guys meetings and things like like that.
Speaker 3: So there's I think it's going to be interesting, not only here but around the league. The adjustments we talked about a little bit yesterday, the adjustments now that offenses make because if you look at the scores of games this past week, there were twenty five of the thirty teams in the league scored twenty one or fewer points this week. It was remarkable how low scoring games were.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you look at the amount of offensive linemen that are injured, and that has a lot to do.
Speaker 4: With it, because no one's got enough backups to be able to sustain the injuries.
Speaker 6: There aren't even enough good ones to fill the starting roles.
Speaker 3: You're right about it, right, all right? Thanks to Christy for joining us today. Let's do it again on Monday at high noon.
Speaker 4: Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.