Speaker 1: It's time for the b a q a a a q a with the b a q manday the b a q a withs today the b a q a A.
Speaker 2: Hey, Mandy, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I always feel so much better doing the b a q a than I do during the show, because like the b a the regular show gets me all like, get all my demons out, and then I just come so much happier enjoyful to the v a q a. It's like the sprinkles on top.
Speaker 2: Sprinkle sprinkle, sprinkle sprinkle it this that lady on TikTok that sounds like sprinkle sprinkle. Let's answer some moulah baby questions.
Speaker 3: So I got some good ones today, Yeah, we do, all right, So do you want to go first? You want to go first, but you want to do a lawyer bay or we're not.
Speaker 2: The lawyer bad You can go ahead. You could do lawyer bay.
Speaker 3: Oh well, thank you? All right? Before we do, we did the usual disclaimer because it's good girl.
Speaker 2: Okay, So hey, we love your questions. If you have questions about business, personal finance, career and more even just a personal life child, you know we all here in these streets. You could ask us you can go to Brown Ambition Podcasts at gmail dot com and email us there Bronibition podcast dot com. We're Brown Ambition Podcast on ig the BA podcast on Twitter. But remember we are too smart brown girls, your faves, the cutest, the brown is the cutest. You know. We're just all the things. But what we're not is your financial advisor. We're not your doctor, we are not your attorney. We are just like just too smart brown checks. And you're going to take our advice with the smallest sprinkle of salt and then bring that salt to the person that you pay for the advanced knowledge that you're needing in that particular topic. Okay, akay, sue your mama, not us.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you for that disclaimer, Tiffany. Let's get into lawyer Bay's question. This is juicy, okay. Lawyer Bay says, I am a brown lawyer in my late twenties, making one hundred and twenty five thousand US dollars a year with no debt bless. I currently contribute to the maximum. I currently contribute the maximum of my four oh one K and I'm looking for advice on what things I can do to build wealth. I have an Old Faithful car Okay, Tiffany, just like in your early days, and I'm slowly saving for a new car, but I'm not pressed about it. I'm in a long distance relationship, not married. I have ten K in my emergency fund and fifteen K save for a car in the future or if Old Faithful breaks down. My rent is seventeen fifty. I travel frequently because it's my favorite thing to do. Not interested in purchasing ta a home right now because of how often I travel, and I don't know if I'll stay in my current city. I'm grateful for I'm grateful for the position that I'm in, especially having no debt, but I feel immen's personal pressure to not squander this time where I could really be building wealth. What I'd like to know from you all is what things I can be doing right now that will set me up for wealth in the future. PS. I love y'all's disclaimers for the BAQA. My attorney brain is always like, yes, tell the folks, did you.
Speaker 2: Hear she said right here? She said, I just want to be sure I have all the I have the whole picture, so you can give me your best. In quotations non professional advice because she knows like, this is not professional advice, this is just some lawyer bay. First of all, snaps, we love a brown smart just like all around, it sounds like you are doing just about everything right, which is awesome. And so I just have a few quick, little, quick little tweaks that you can do to like enhance. So one, I'm curious to know how many months is your you know, the you have a ten thousand dollars save for emergency funds? You know how many months saved is that? Is that at least three months? And as an attorney, how long did it take you to get your job? And how quickly do you think you can replace that job? So if you're like to be on a super safe side five months, I could definitely get a new job whatever that is. I would just want you to make sure that that emergency fund is at least three months and ideally the amount of months you think it would take for you to secure another job with similar income, So that'd be one. And you might be like, we good on that, Like it's three months, and I can get a job with three months to.
Speaker 3: Be three because her rent is seventeen fifties, that's what I'm thinking almost six times her rent, and I'm assuming the rest is for like, you know, some room for her lifestyle, has a car note it sounds like.
Speaker 2: Which is great. That's why I said, I'm pretty sure. I just want to make sure that something you just want to tap into, just to make sure. And then I love that you're maxing out your four O one K. And so there are two types of investments you are. I hate people say safe for retirement because you're really investing for retirement. So there's investing for retirement and then there's investing for wealth. So it looks like you have the investing for retirement part down, and so you've maxed out your four one K. You might want to sit with a financial advisor to make sure that there's no other tax advantage maxing out that you can do. You might just be under the threshold where you can potentially put money into a rowth IRA. But I don't know like you would want to, you know, like look at those numbers, because I laughed when I checked. It was like, yeah, it was like it was like one thirty nine as long as you made under that. But I can't remember if that was like a couple or a single person. And also too, I don't know how much money you're putting, Like what when you say you max out, I don't know how much money you are putting in your four one K because there is a max in general when you can put money into a tax advantage retirement account. So I would want you to max out across the board if you have the excess, to max out all that you can when it comes to tax advantage retirement accounts, whether it's four one K, roth ira ira whatever, that looks like, okay, so that's one, so that's two actually. And then the third thing is I would want you if you are like, no, girl, I'm retirement is max. There's nothing else I can do? Great, then I would want you to look at investing for wealth so you are in the position to do so. This means that it could be a brokerage account just like it's similar to your four one K, but you know you would be in you might be in the market via ets, mutual funds. This is something that you would want to sit with a financial advisor to kound and decide what's best for you. You are in a space where you would want to ask yourself, Hey, financial advisors. So there are there are sites like x y z x Y planning right, there's like that's where you can find financial advisors. There are sites like wealth Ramp is one of them. There are sites like I have one called my Money. No, your moneymatch dot com is one of them. I know is one way Mandy that you work with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, facet there's investor dot com. Thankfully there's becoming. But the key is like are you talking about for her? Because you're talking about like investing for wealth. Then you want to ask, so I will discustment advisor, yes.
Speaker 2: To help walk you through, like, hey, here are the places that I am and now I have some space and leeway and by the time I'm fifty, i'd like to be here. And so you want a certified financial planner that is the gold standard of financial advisors that you want them to reverse engineer. Here's what you have to do now consistently to get to where you want to be by forty five to fifty or whatever number that you kind of tell them. So that's the position that you are in now where it's like it seems like you have the foundational things down pat which is great. Now you get to kind of future plan and say by fifty, I don't want to work anymore. By fifty, I want to live in you know, BALI whatever that is. And a certified financial planner can help reverse engineer. But not only that, because that's only a small piece of what they do. I want because you are starting to grow well for yourself. A certified financial planner is going to help to holistically look at your life. They might say, are you fully insured for where you are now? You know, like do you have enough insurance? They're going to look at like, you know, depending on what other assets you have. Do you need do you have a will? I know? You know have children right now? You know, does it make sense for you to get a trust? It might not for where you are because you're still in your twenties. But a certified financial planner is going to look holistically at your life and find any holes and help you to plug them, and you can kind of it is possible literally to get to a point this is where I am in my financial journey where there's nothing quote unquote left to do other than to continue on the path that I'm on, because it's like nexting out on my retirement.
Speaker 3: Acount Angel mountaintop.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's just like now, I'm just like Angelie. My financial planner is just like, just continue. That's literally it like, if you continue like this, you're going to hit your goal by age fifty. Like you want to just continue. So that's what I would suggest for you those three things. Make sure you're retired, your emergency account is fully funded, make sure your retirement account is fully funded on both sides of the aisle, and sit with a certified financial planner to plug in any of the holes and continue to enjoy your amazing, fabulous life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and honestly, the pressure that you're feeling, release a little bit of that, I would say, And I feel like you're so young. I mean, you say late twenties, but it's very young. Yes, And if I could give any advice to my late twenties self, I would say, you do not know if you're going to want to keep doing that thing in ten more years. Ten years is a long time. Thirty nine is very different than twenty nine. I'm not even there yet. Thirty six is different than twenty nine. And I mean the way I was at twenty nine versus now is just so fundamentally different. I would say save additionally on top of your emergency fund for like the what if I want to change my mind fund? Like can we just have a change my mind fund a pivot fund and what you don't have to have a name for it or have a plan for it. But I would be like, as you're continuing to invest in build wealth, that's true, But I just feel like the financial elasticity, the financial flexibility to grab some money that you just have and then just make something new, like do something new, whether it's starting a business, buying some property, whatever. Just having a little bit of that, not a little bit, but having some of that on the side or at least acknowledging that you may want to have it on the side, is just Yeah, it's a game changer, I think for your mentality and also like get you out of that that cycle of like, oh, this is my job period. I'm going to do this job and do this job and do this job and do this job forever and ever because it might just change down the line. And yeah, I think we all have that personal pressure we should always be doing more, always be doing more, Yeah, I would say, And I think Tiff and I we talked about all the time, like there's what people are doing, and there's sort of like what helps you sleep at night? Yes, so what other people are doing maybe not is not enough for you for your level of peace that you want. So learn all the things like you've been doing and then do it your own way, you know, do it whatever, do whatever you need to feel safe and secure. And I'm super proud of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah we are, yeah, law your bag so proud.
Speaker 3: All right, well let's take a quick little break break and we'll be back with another juicy money question right here on the baqa.
Speaker 2: And we are back. Okay, we have a question. I'm not sure you want to say. Well, I'm going to call you lady die because I'm not sure like how much of your name you want to see you? So, hey, ladies, I'm a new listener. Welcome girl. My therapist recommended your podcast to me after I express the stress I have been experiencing from financial instability. For first of all, shout out to your therapist, girl. Yes, before listening.
Speaker 3: You're great to be co signed by a therapist, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, before listening, I had no savings. I finally opened a savings account and have saved one thousand dollars so far. Yes, lady Die, what type of advice would you recommend this twenty six year old? Oh, it's the it's the podcast of the twenties. What type of advice would you recommend this twenty six year old when it comes to fighting the urge to not touch those savings? Awesome? How would one go about finding a financial advisor? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Oh maybe, what do you say for lady Die?
Speaker 3: Oh? Goodness, well I was you. I feel like at twenty six with you know, have finally doing the right thing and then you collect a nice thing click are those dollars in your account? And then things about making your twenty is it's like there's always going to be something that to gobble that money up. Something it's a wedding, it's a baby shower, it's I just got a promotion. Let's get the next biggest apartment with like a in unit washer dryer, Like why not, it's the brunches, et cetera. So for me, what was crucial in my twenties was creating a savings fund that was hard to get to. So I mean a separate like I literally had a separate bank account and I had my I had my primary bank, which was I don't know, I'm not gonna name names. It was blue. And then I had my this is my savings bank, which is purple. And I made sure that when I got paid everything was automatically like it would automatically go to my and my online savings was where I kept my emergency fund. You can get to it, but it's not as easy to get to. I didn't carry the debit card in my wallet, and you know, little things like that, so it wasn't really easy to get to. This was before you can just pay with your face and it's so freaking easy top money. Now there's nothing we can do. But yeah, keeping a little bit far away, at least mentally for me was great. So I logged into my primary bank account and I would know this is the money I can spend because all my other bills to myself have been paid. And giving a name, like, for example, at that online savings I created, you can create sub accounts of that main saving so you can have you know, a savings for my down payment, which I say, for a savings account for maybe holiday spending, student debt, payoff whatever it may be, and then having a name attached to it just reminds you of what you're saving for. That's the biggest thing. And you know, paying myself first, automating those savings and keeping it separate and apart from my main checking account was a huge reason that I was able to do things like pay for my wedding in cash and buy a home, you know, with a huge debt with a huge a twenty percent down payment too. You can pay for a car in cash, like these things that I think should be celebrated, right along with getting a big raise or getting a new job and things like that.
Speaker 2: I agree. I like to say that make your money inconvenient, because inconvenient money gets saved. So yeah, so same as Mandy having a separate online only bank, you know, just for savings. So like at your regular bank you have your checking there, and at this other bank that's online, you can't roll upon it in person. And the reason why that's so critical is that if you're going to transfer savings from this savings account at this online only bank to this checking account at this regular bank, you're looking at minimum twenty four hours, maximum seventy two hours. Depending when you do it, you're transferred, so like if it's a holiday or whatever. So that means if you are at Target, like me, oh, I just love me some Target. It was just thinking about what I want to go back. If you're at Target, Oh, it's cute. And so if you are at Target like me and Nady's baby police and your checking account says gird now you know, daggone, Well, ain't no money in here like that. Normally, if your savings was at the same bank, you would just make a quick transfer within seconds, your savings money will go to your checking account and you could swipe. But if your savings is at a separate bank, unless you're rolling out like a sleeping bag, you know, because it's gonna take twenty four hours minimum to go from your savings to your checking account at a different bank, and it's going to force you to say, isn't even that serious? Girl? Likely it isn't. So that's one that like, I agree. So and then what I will say is, oftentimes people dip into savings because they are not honest with the way they're wanting to spend. So if you set aside some spend money for yourself, it will reduce your desire to dip into savings, meaning like I give myself an allowance, you know, because if not, I used to put almost everything into saving, being super ambitious, right like you get paid and it's like I have bills in savings. That's it. Like bo wait, I want to pizzas.
Speaker 3: Kept going on a restrictive diet girl like Keto, you know, I always you get all bread. And then you were looking in for a cute little minute.
Speaker 2: I was. And then what happened was and vegan to me, I mean, no, shady all vegans. It was too restrictive for me. I had one little piece of chicken. I remember Tracy made wing flings and she said, can you taste it? See's too spicy or something she said, and I was like, no, I'm vegan. She's like girl, oh bye, just taste it. Girl. I had that piece of chicken and never went back that.
Speaker 3: She like there was a werewolf transformation and he turned back into a carnival.
Speaker 2: I was. I heard before I said I can't go back to that, even meat, and so now it was it was and so I will say, so something that's so restrictive makes it really hard to maintain and so I don't believe and manny and I don't believe in hyper restriction. So like, so let's just say, if you were normally gonna save, I don't know. I'm making up a number one hundred dollars a month, right, and that's all the money left over after bills. You might want to allocate twenty five of those dollars for yourself or thirty of those dollars, you know, so that way, when things come up, you feel good about being able to enjoy life now while also setting aside for savings. So that would just be my second piece of advice, which is set aside some spending money for yourself so you're not going to be dipping and then feeling bad every time you dip. It's like, well, I don't have to. You know when I did, we did. We did, lift your hands upon my hips when I did, we did, we did. So one said I love how your manage if you break it out into song, I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's tala, she loved it. So I will just say that specifically. This is what I was like, don't forget to say this. Your brain forgets things. Know your values, so when you spend that twenty five dollars, you're spending it on something that you like. Get clear on what brings you joy, what puts what fills your cup, you know, so that when you spend that twenty five dollars, it's on something that you can really feel good about, because you don't you're not going to have you're in your mid twenties, you may not have a lot of that spending money. So if it is just twenty five bucks, you know, let it be a delicious meal that you share with friends. Let it not be you know, a shake che shit. What can twenty five dollars by these days like half a shake shack Burger and like a couple frieses.
Speaker 2: In your hand, not even in the in the cup, Like yeah, that's if you pick it up.
Speaker 3: That's not with the tax tip and the travel feet and all that kind of stuff. So, yeah, just get clear on your values. And that's something that I did early in my twenties, was like I really enjoy Broadway theater and I enjoyed travel, and I can do without you know the other stuff, the h and M wandering on your lunch break and the you know, the other ways that money disappears, so I would just add that to you. But thank you twenty some things for sending in questions. Yeah yeah, I was just saying that. But when you are like your big sisters, you know what I mean, like more.
Speaker 2: Like Auntie, I'll give you big sister, but I don't mind here if a twenty year old says, hey, Auntie, I'm like, I mean, keep a cute because Amelia is six and Lily is five. So but you know, I'll somehow a lot. But if you have a three in front of your number, don't fix your lips to one Auntie. Okay, don't do that. Big cousins even better, Okay, all right, Hopefully we will see you next week. Ask your questions about credit, credit, career, business, personal finances, and in between life live right, happiness alignment.
Speaker 3: I got weird. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: We we welcome all the questions. We will do our best as your big cousins and friends and sisters to help out until next week. Y'all. Bye bye