Speaker 1: Smell us.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time on October seventeenth, and we're live from Meet Theater HQ and Boasman, Montana. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, joined today by Ryan Callahan and Seth Morris. On today's show, we're talking to doctor Solomon David about the evolution of gar. Then we've got a migration report from Matt McCormick, followed by one minute fishing at the Office Pond with Hillary. Then we'll find out how much Cal and Seth know about their fellow hunters and anglers with a game of meat poll, followed by a chettiquet about public land duck hunting. And finally we'll talk to Danielle Pruitt about the correct way to brown ground meat. First, I need an update from you boys about Louisiana. You just stepped off the plane, got home back to Montana from the Meat Eater experience at Cypress Cove.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all my fishing was inshore. Cow got out for some out or offshore stuff, which very jealous of you should be. Yeah, it looked amazing, But now the fishing inshore was fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so the one off short day, like all the boats that went out had you know, varying degrees of success, like all success across the board, like one of the boats that caught smaller tuna also bumped into like a super bonus school of mahi mahi.
Speaker 1: The fish so nice they named it twice.
Speaker 2: Spencer former trivia question, also known as a dolphin fish.
Speaker 4: Strong strong, And then we yeah, we got we found we got one mark right out of the gate on the sonar, one one little arch and you know, to me, that's not a school of tuna, like okay, that's like a bill fish or something hanging down there. And we threw out two baits and ended up with two like probably like live weight one hundred and seventy pound yellowfin tuna.
Speaker 2: But I heard that you haven't brought it up yet. But the most envious catch of the whole like three week experience was a gar that you caught, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the guar was awesome.
Speaker 4: That was super awesome, Yeah, very surprising, extremely lucky.
Speaker 2: You weren't fishing for gar when you caught the gar.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, no, no, Like I mean the whole deal was like light redfish sea trout tackle and that's what I was trying to catch with a little like walleye size swim bait and just had the magical hook placement hookup on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, I'm surprised you got to the boat because we had hooked a couple of guard.
Speaker 1: Too, and they were off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as you would expect, right, like armored scales and big old teeth and everything. So yeah, I was just just very lucky.
Speaker 2: Not just any garn alligator gar. And you can see a photo of Cal holding that gar, I believe on Steve's Instagram. Is that the first alligator gar you've ever caught?
Speaker 4: I would say, so, I think I got in in Texas. Oh yeah, yeah, well because I'm you know, Montana right like man. Yeah, inundated with.
Speaker 2: Gary speaking of Guard. Joining us on the line first is doctor Solomon David from the University of Minnesota. Doctor David is an aquatic ecologist in one of the world's foremost authorities on Guard. Doctor David, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me, Spencer and and the rest of you.
Speaker 6: Good to be here.
Speaker 2: Solomon David and I have known each other for probably over a decade. It goes back to my days of working at a Federal fish ententry and there was one spring where we raised millions of paddlefish there. And there was one spring where I think we had about a dozen albino or technically lucistic paddlefish that were born, and once they got about ten inches long, I tried to find some zoos and aquariums across the country who'd want to take them. So I reached out to probably twenty zoos and aquariums, and one of the people who responded was doctor David, who worked at Shedd Aquarium at the time, and so I shipped him. Was it one or two paddlefish that I sent you in the mail?
Speaker 5: I think it might have been too. I think I kind of just helped broker that, you know, that connection there, because that went to the fish people you know on site at shed But I think it might have been too.
Speaker 2: So I sent him a couple of lucistic paddlefish in the mail. They didn't survive more than like a year, I think, But that was how doctor Solomon David and I got to know each other. Was back my fish hattery day.
Speaker 4: Was that part of the program where you're like, oh, if you want them to live, you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Have to buy this other package.
Speaker 2: No, no, they were, they were totally free. I was. I was just you know, doing it out of the the goodwill of our Federal hatchery. And there was a surprising lack of interest around the country from people not wanting to take a lucistic paddlefish. But doctor Solomon David, I knew him and I would like each other because he was stoked on it.
Speaker 1: Doctor David.
Speaker 4: It says in our notes that you're a gar evolution specialist, which strikes me as a really easy job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what's happened.
Speaker 4: And then two hundred million years later, same same story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it sounds like I don't really do much right If you're studying gar evolution they don't actually evolve. Then you know what what am I sitting here doing? You know, which allows me time to go on meetator and chat with you all. But but no, you know, I'm I'm an aquatic e collogist, so I study how fish interact with their environment and uh, with with other organisms. The gar evolution side is you know, kind of a it's it's part of my work and as you mentioned. Because gars have these what we found to be slow evolutionary rates, they haven't changed a whole lot in their appearance over time. And as you described, I think Spencer is asking, how did you not remember your first gar catch? You know, they got that long snout, lots of teeth, the armored scales, so they basically looked like that for the past one hundred and fifty million years. So even if you don't all remember them, you know they they've been doing that same thing. The next time you see them, they're gonna look the same as they did previously.
Speaker 7: So they're really cool fish.
Speaker 5: They've been doing the same thing for a long time, and we're just trying to catch up with the science because that's significantly lagged behind what we know about a lot of other fish.
Speaker 2: What other fish would have a similar story that they've been unchanged for one hundred and fifty million years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, the next closest ones would be sturgeons, and like like our story goes the paddlefish. So sturgeons and paddlefish also have very slow rates of evolution, but gar are still the slowest. There was recent research that we did that came out this past spring led by researchers at Yale and University at Buffalo, that's Chase Brownstein and Dan McGuigan. I was a co author on that study, and we found that gars have among the slowest rates of evolution of any vertebrate. And if you kick out hagfish and lampreys, basically you're talking about just vertebrates that have jaws. Gars are the slowest, so slowest rates of evolution compared to things like seal of cants and crocodilians and sharks and you know longfish too. So they've been doing what they've been doing, you know, since before Terrannosaurus rex, and they've kind of persisted long past the dinosaurs.
Speaker 2: Now, when I worked at the fish entry that we talked about, I used to give a lot of tours and we'd get to a gar in the aquarium, might get a lot of oohs and ahs when I tell people that pioneers would put the gar skin on the front of their plows to break through fields, that gar scales were used as arrowheads, that some Native Americans would use them as breastplates that they used as currency and jewelry. So those are some of the reasons I love gar. But what about you, doctor Solomon. You've dedicated your career to these fish. Give us your elevator gar pitch. Why are they so cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know, I feel like I gave away some of that already with that. You know, that body plan that you know hasn't changed. And they've been around since before the time of like some of our favorite dinosaurs, like they date back to the late Jurassic periods, so they're older than t rex and triceratops and they've outlasted them. If you look behind me, you can see some of the gars that we've got. If you looked at a fossil gar and you looked at a gar that's alive today, they look very similar to each other. And they've got those armored scales, which are basically made out of tooth enamel, which is the hardest substance.
Speaker 2: That our bodies produce.
Speaker 5: So you know, they've got that armored scaling on them, which works well for them. But if you're, let's say, an angler, it makes them a little bit tougher to clean. You can't filay them like you would a bluegill or a walleye or a trout. But they've got all these cool adaptations that have allowed them to survive relatively unchanged for such a long time. They can survive in fresh water and salt water, as I think col and the crew kind of found. You can find them alongside sharks in estuaries. They've got poisonous eggs. Their eggs are toxic to mammals, birds, and most arthropods. And they've got those long jaws with lots of teeth. You can see the picture when we're working with the Kala Kimmel out of US Fish and Wildlife Service.
Speaker 2: They get huge.
Speaker 5: The alligator gar can get, you know, right around eight feet long, three hundred pounds. Nothing really messes with them except for humans once they get that big. And you know, they've got this adaptation where they can breathe air too. So you can see us working on this alligator gar at a National Wildlife Refuge, and we can do that with gars because they breathe air. If that was a sturgeon or some other type of fish, it'd be trickier because they can't stay out of the water that long, whereas the gars kind of chill and we can take our measurements, tag them and get them back in the water. So really all these things have allowed them to be successful for a long time.
Speaker 2: All right, Now, besides just being like really cool and interesting to nerds, why should anglers and game agency specifically care about gar?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I think that's a great question. You know, when you think about gars, they're great environmental indicators. There's seven species of gars, and all of them tend to migrate to an extent onto vegetation to spawn, so they do have some movement to them. Alligator gars will make big upstream and downstream movements. They move from rivers onto floodplains, so they can be good indicators of aquatic connectivity. They can also be hosts of freshwater muscles, which are also good environmental indicators. And as predatory fish, they help maintain predator prey balances, so they help keep you know, let's say, panfish populations from stunting and overpopulating. They can help you sort of help manage shad and other minno type populations forage fish, and so they can you know, help sort of keep ecosystem balance there and be indicators of overall aquatic ecosystem help.
Speaker 2: I think most anglers probably have a pretty low opinion of gar and so It would be similar to like a coyote. If if I were to suggest that state agencies need a little more regulation of coyotes, I would be laughed at. But could you say that with gar? Do gar need slightly more regulation than what they have today?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I would say the short answer is yes, And I think part of that is because we lack a lot of the data that we have on other game fish populations like largemouth bass and trout. I like to say that we're one hundred years behind Walleye with what we know about Walleye, which is Minnesota state fish, so we got a lot of catching up to do. But because they are important apex predators, ecosystem and environmental indicators, we don't know a lot about their population status and health. So we've got to catch up with that. And in order to do that, I think protections are needed because in a lot of states we've done an analysis on this, they have unlimited harvests, so you can harvest as many gars as you want. And we know that fish like the alligator gar can live for over one hundred years. The short nose gar, which is the smallest species, can live for forty nine years, so you've got these long lived fish and not enough data that we know about their populations. We don't know when we might pass a tipping point right to where we may not be able to recover that population and keep that as a natural resource.
Speaker 2: Now, a little treat for our YouTube audience is that we are seeing some photos from Solomon with alligator gar and one we just saw there was it looked like I can tell if you were doing an autopsy or if you were cleaning one for it to be eaten. Have you ever cleaned and eaten these?
Speaker 5: I have helped clean them, and I've definitely eaten plenty of types of gars. You're looking at a picture from an alligator gar rodeo that we work with down in Louisiana, and this has been extremely valuable to our lab because we're able to get samples and data off these fish that are being harvested, and the stakeholders, the anglers there have been really you know, happy to work with us, and so we're able to share the data with them, help sort of contribute to the knowledge about these fish. And they clean these big alligator gars at one of the bars along the Ameet River, and then people come to the bar and they eat fried gar garballs, which are gar hushpuppies, and so everybody kind of has a good time, you know, eating these fish and kind of taking part in the value of these native species.
Speaker 2: Describe the taste for me. I think a lot of gar that people harvest end up in a ditch somewhere. They throw them in their garden and write it off as fertilized. But what did it taste like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, the tricky part is we need tin snips to get through that tough, armored hide. And so once you get through those tin snips, you got some you know, two nice you know, backstraps of meat there. And you know, I would say it tastes somewhere in between fish and chicken. So it's not as you know, sort of doesn't come apart as easily as salmon does. Maybe not as tough as chicken might be. But you can eat it a bunch of different ways. I've had gar smoked, I've had an impanadas, I've had it fried. A lot of different ways to eat gar, And I'd encourage people to try it. If they do harvest a guard.
Speaker 4: Guard like they're visual right, like they're up rolling on the surface even in that like froggy you know, oxygen depleted zone that you try to like push through when you're rowing. You're like, ah, nothing really lives here. So they take up a really great space. They provide opportunity where there's a lack of opportunity, and then from like a fly fishing side of things, like they're really visual, like you see them. Chances are if you get a bait close to them, they're going to at least move towards it. They're a really exciting fish.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: It always bums me out when folks shoot them or catch them and chuck them on the on the river bank just just for no reason. Are they selective?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 4: Like the excuse that I'll always hear for removing that fish from a system is like, oh, they eat the fish that I like to eat, right, are they are?
Speaker 1: They?
Speaker 4: Just like anything else, they have a preferred prey species where they kind of general us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a great question. Cal they tend to be generalists. They're predatory fish and they're opportunistic. So you know, studies have been done on this on what gar eating. In fact, that's the most research that's been done on gars is what are they eating? Because people were concerned about their game fish populations, and what they found is that gars are eating whatever is most abundant in a particular area. So sometimes it's gonna be forge fish like minnows and shad. Sometimes it might be some triarcts like you know, sunfish. But in preying on those fish, they help maintain balance in those populations. And gars are pretty gape limited, so they can only swallow their food whole, and so even a four foot long long nose gar isn't going to be able to take down, you know, a decent sized.
Speaker 2: Bass or bluegill.
Speaker 5: So they're really eating the smaller fish and that tends to be the shad and the minnows. And I think you bring up a good point about how you fish for them. They are so adaptable that they can be in rivers and streams and in these backwaters and in water that's like chocolate milk. So you can fly fish for them, you can you know, troll for them. I've a fish for Florida gar on the Everglades. I've fished for them in Texas with drones, and so they're an exciting fish and like you said, you can fish for them in places where maybe other fish aren't found as readily. So down south you got boffin and gars everywhere you may not have you know, you definitely don't have trout, and so they kind of fill that niche there.
Speaker 2: Solomon, I've heard you refer to gar as a gateway fish. What does that exactly mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I think if you look at shows like River Monsters that came out maybe almost twenty years ago, now, that kind of opened the gate to these sort of bizarre, sort of charismatic megafauna out of rivers, and alligator gars are like that. If you look behind me, I've got an alligator gar skull here from a seven foot ten inch alligator gar that was about just over two hundred pound and forty eight years old. So you got these giant fish that people think are cool. They're very bizarre looking. Maybe they think they look scary. They're not dangerous to humans, but it serves as kind of this gateway to these non game native species.
Speaker 2: So maybe people learning a little bit.
Speaker 5: More about freshwater bio diversity, or you know, what's that fish, where does it live?
Speaker 2: How does it get that big?
Speaker 5: And that can maybe lead to people wanting to fish for different types of species besides maybe traditional game fish, and maybe a gateway to other species like different types of buffalo or suckers or drum or boffin. So I think Gar's work is a great sort of conservation gateway fish to learn more about freshwater bio diversity.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love the idea of that, because many fish that resemble a carp just end up being a carp to a lot of anglers. When there's small mouth buffalo and big mouth buffalo, and there's short head red horse and blue suckers and white suckers, and everyone could benefit from learning a little bit more about those fish. In the gateway fish, it's a gateway to It's a great way to explain that. Now, the third annual gar Week is coming up this fall. Tell us about what that is in your role in the whole thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, So Gar Week is coming. It's typically in early November, but we're gonna be pushing it back, so it'll either be late November or early December, but gar Week twenty twenty four will happen.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a.
Speaker 5: Celebration of gar and native species, especially gar. What you can see here is a picture that Spencer took at the hatchery, which shows some kids touching a long nose gar. So really that's kind of celebrating these kind of weird ancient fish and kind of just sharing knowledge about gar why they're important, you know, just some interesting facts, gar puns. People have fun with it. We worked with Oklahoma Department and Wildlife Conservation for the past couple of years and they do a great job with their social media about conservation and hunting and fishing, and so we'll be partnering with a lot of different agencies this year. We look forward to meet eater, maybe getting involved and just you know what I like to say, spreading the word of gar are and celebrating these ancient fish. One of the pictures we're seeing here is I was recently out in Maine talking to over three hundred elementary school kids about gar and showing pictures of their long jaws, lots of tea, them swimming with sharks, how slimy they are. And I really think an important part of conservation and stewardship is reaching that next generation because if we can get them involved and interested in stewardship of our natural resources, that will allow these hunting and fishing traditions to continue successfully.
Speaker 2: You have my word, Solomon, we are going to help spread the Gospel of gar This fall, we'll participate in Gar Week. It's my third favorite holiday each fall after Christmas and Thanksgiving. So I join you this week, Solomon. Thank you for joining us. Fascinating stuff. You'll be back on the show again soon. Thanks so much for having me guys.
Speaker 1: Thanks awesome.
Speaker 2: All right, moving on, each week through the end of the year, we'll be getting either a rot report from Mark Kenyon or or a migration report from Matt McCormick. This week we have a migration report. Take it away, Matt.
Speaker 6: Would you like to hear the drop for Spencer?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, take it away, Phil, And then maybe Matt we can play his video when you can sun food and the Tam Sassoon. Then you suffer a right Chrishan is the West.
Speaker 4: Phil tries to keep a stone, just his poker face, going unduring that.
Speaker 1: What a treat.
Speaker 2: I recently suggested to Phil we needed a new drop for something. I was like, here, I think this is an easy solution for this one, so you don't have to be in the studio singing, and he's like, no, I would like to do that. That's that's more fun to me.
Speaker 1: So don't suggest to Phil how he should do with drop.
Speaker 2: Listen, I was I was trying to make it easier on him.
Speaker 1: Many people have fallen into that trap.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, Well done, Phil, Another great drop. Now let's hear this migration report from Matt.
Speaker 7: I'm Matt McCormick, Flying V, and welcome to Meat Eater's migration Report for October seventeenth, twenty twenty four. I'm coming to you live from the Kaiser Ranch here in Montana's Pacific Flyway, and with a full moon overhead in the first cold front of the season, we're all feeling that migration fever. So let's jump in into the latest waterfowl action, weather updates, and what's ahead in the coming weeks. Starting here in the Pacific Flyway, that first cold front it's arrived. It's right here on the horizon.
Speaker 1: We picked up a few birds.
Speaker 7: Maybe you can see him behind us on the front end, and we're expecting more to follow. Although conditions are still dry east of the Cascades. This front should help everybody out. Duck productions is strong and here at Flying V we are expecting a banner year this year. Over in the Central Flyway, things are kind of shaping up over there. This front will drive some birds down from Saskatchewan into the Dakotas, and we're all about to see some really big migration days coming through the Central Flyway.
Speaker 1: Where they'll end up, I mean.
Speaker 7: Who knows, but I think all hunters throughout the flyways should keep their eyes on the north winds. Things are looking pretty prime over the next few weeks. In the Mississippi Flyway, brace your guys' selves for impact, because you have new birds coming in all your calendar.
Speaker 1: Birds are on the move.
Speaker 7: We have reports from Manitoba and Ontario that birds are moving south and it's shaping up to be a killer few weeks for anyone in the north country.
Speaker 1: The Mississippi Flyway.
Speaker 7: Central southern regions. You guys will start seeing some fresh birds here soon, So you got a little bit of time. If you don't have your water dialed or your gear dialed yet, now's the time. Finally, in the Atlantic Flyway, duck numbers are building. It's slow, but that kind of is.
Speaker 1: Always the case.
Speaker 7: Recent rains, cooler temperatures, those will be a big help for all you eastern shoremen. But things should start picking up here as the bird's head south over the next few weeks. That wraps up this week's migration report. Whether you're in the Pacific Way chasing cacklers or you're playing a road trip to North Dakota, these cold fronts and north winds are set in the stage for some epic hunts across the country. Stay tuned from our updates and.
Speaker 1: Good luck out there.
Speaker 2: Back to you, Spencer, Matt is feeling optimistic.
Speaker 4: Cow is that a great excited? We're gonna get that guy green screen behind.
Speaker 2: Him, you know, like looking at the beautiful mountains of Montana and the prairies of oh I.
Speaker 4: Think, but you know, let's let's get serious. Let's get him like the little arrows and the staff where you can point you like now this high pressure system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give him a live oppler radar.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, we can really test Phil. Then, Phil, how do you feel about?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: How do you feel about all that?
Speaker 6: I'm willing to try anything, Okay, at least once.
Speaker 2: Now, our next segment is one minute fishing. Do I feel lucky?
Speaker 1: We'll do you Punk, go ahead, make my cast.
Speaker 2: One minute Fishing is where we go live to someone who's fishing, and they have one minute to catch a fish, and if they're successful, we'll make a five hundred dollars donation to a conservation group. This week, our angler is the senior director of post Production, Hillary Byrne, who's on the pond behind our office, and she's fishing for a donation to Captains for Clean Water. Hillary. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 9: Hi.
Speaker 2: Everyone, tell us about the rod in your hands and what lu were you throwing today?
Speaker 8: Well, I stole this from Seth's office this morning, so he can tell you about it. Uh, the spinning rods are more successful out here. So I left the fly rod in the truck and we're gonna give Seth set up a try.
Speaker 2: Okay, Seth, you tell us about what Hillary's using there to catch one of these office pond trout.
Speaker 1: Oh you know it's the.
Speaker 3: You know, the famous MEPs I believe on there, number four. I think, mm hmm yeah, what color are.
Speaker 1: You going off? It's the it's like the yellow with the red dots. Oh yeah, oh well that's Panther Martin right. Oh yeah, Panther Martin's.
Speaker 2: And Hillary is not kidding this office or this fishing rod. Just sits in the corner of Seth's office every day.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Hillary is an experienced fly angler, but doesn't have as much experience with the fishing rods. So Seth was doing some coaching out there before. How did that go, Seth? You feel good about this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, at first things were kind of hung up in the brush a little bit. Took a little bit to kind of get the getting swing of things. But no, she's doing great now, and I'd imagine she's going to catch a fish here, right, Hillary, let's hope.
Speaker 2: So we have yet to have a successful angler at the meat eater pond for one minute fishing. Hillary, we hope you are the first. Your one minute fishing starts as soon as you take your first cast.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, here we go.
Speaker 2: What do you see in their cow?
Speaker 4: I'm more into the music choice here.
Speaker 1: I'm very moody. I'll tell you a little bit about that pond. There's a lot of leaf litter on the surface.
Speaker 2: A lot that showed up in the last few days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which makes it tough, you know, get your cats in one minute because you oftentimes got to clean off some leaves.
Speaker 1: Shure, he's waiting for another cast.
Speaker 2: Hillary, You are twenty five seconds in.
Speaker 4: I want a big old bass Master classic hook's up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be good. Good conditions today, right, Seth?
Speaker 3: Yeah, cloudy cold, like Matt was saying on the duct report, cold front moved in last night.
Speaker 4: Oh he may have had a cast into the grass.
Speaker 2: Oh it's okay, nobody noticed. Hillary, you have fifteen seconds. I don't think it's happening today. Sorry, Hillary, Thank you for joining us, though I would blame Seth for you not catching one there.
Speaker 3: You know, I think after fishing this pond for about a year, I think when it gets hot, the fish stack in there because it's deeper, deeper water. But once things cool down a bit in the fall and in the spring, they move up in the creek. Okay, that's you know, filling that pond.
Speaker 2: It's a diverse body of water. You're still figuring it out. Hillary, Are you gonna keep fishing? Are you going back to work?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I'm gonna go try the spot that's apparently actually good. But we had to be here because.
Speaker 10: Of the Wi Fi.
Speaker 8: So that's why I didn't catch any fish there.
Speaker 2: You go made an executive decision when we were testing out the signal. He said, you guys were too far away.
Speaker 6: From the I sabotage. I mean, I'm sure the viewing audience can tell. We've got a little Wi Fi and self one single dead zone right where we like to shoot all of our one minute fishing segments. So we should invest in an extender of some kind.
Speaker 2: Phil Horizon, all right, Hillary, thank you for joining us. Good luck at the better spot.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a break for some listener feedback. Phil, what's the chat have to say today?
Speaker 6: You know what the chat's The chat's very active, but not asking a lot of questions. So in the next two minutes asks if you have a specific question for Seth, Cal Spencer or Hey Crins in here too. You wouldn't know that or Phil you could ask for Phil. Yeah, sure, but we got a couple uh you know, Mogren, I think you told me how to pronounce your name a couple of weeks ago phonetically, and that actually made it more confusing, so I apologize. But he asked Cal and trivia. You mentioned that your dad can make two things along was his own recipe of Shepherd's pie, but you didn't mention what the other dish was that he could make.
Speaker 2: And I guess he's just curious.
Speaker 11: Ye.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like a classic Dad recipe would be like either a hamburger or chili. Uh maybe like a goulash. Since that's like similar, I'm gonna go with a chili spaghetti. Spaghetti's top five mm hm spaghetti. So what what was he better at? Shepherd's Pie or spaghetti?
Speaker 1: I mean both both good?
Speaker 4: I mean, like I said, you know, like both of those things are are like like coming home recipes right here, like instant mashed potatoes, whatever frozen vegetables you got in there, and some ground beef.
Speaker 1: I'm still I love Shepherd's Pie shepherd spaghetti.
Speaker 6: All right, this is a general question best hunt of the year so far for you folks. It's almost November, it's getting there, but I know a lot of you guys have gotten outside smotion some things.
Speaker 3: I'll start by saying, last weekend, my wife and I both killed our biggest antelope to date.
Speaker 1: So nice.
Speaker 2: Hell Yeah, yeah, that was fun in Montana.
Speaker 1: In Montana.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and uh we actually found a couple of stone points too, which was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Cool Ye darn right, Yeah, that's a good hunt.
Speaker 4: It was a good weekend where exactly where you at over over there in mont Hannah. Oh yeah, nice. I ran out with Snort right before I left for Louisiana and we had a great little bird walk we had were fitting it. In between I actually had to take two meetings in the field. Snort was not happy about that. Then we did a bird loop and picked up four Hungarian partridge and yeah, Snort's just crushing it. At four years old, she's got a little bit more chill about certain things.
Speaker 2: You think she's entering her prime now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean I we missed the pheasant opener, so I'm gonna try to make up for lost time here this weekend. But yeah, and then hauled butt back here to the office for another meeting. So it was a good one.
Speaker 3: I got to share some pins with you because I saw so many sharpies and hunts this past Oh you did good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear.
Speaker 4: The sharp tail report is. You know, they're down in the areas where when it's really good you see sharp tails. So they're they're kind of more in the core sharp tail zones, but still doing good in those areas.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, where I was, they were everywhere.
Speaker 4: Hungarian partridges are thick this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my favorite hunt of the year was I bought a white tail tag. You know, I know this year's state. I've never haunted their season for this tag I had opened on October seventh. I went over there, excuse me, on October tenth. I arrived on October seventh so I could scout, and I killed a buck on October twelfth. I was a mountain mature white tail that I was real stoked about.
Speaker 1: Saw that one that was sweet?
Speaker 4: Yeah, good, Look did you have a good scouting or no?
Speaker 1: I had.
Speaker 2: The most productive scouting I had was just like seeing the country because again I never like never hunted in Idaho. I didn't see a lot of deer scouting. I did a lot of doorkna door knocking, which isn't how I killed my buck, but it gave me options, which was important. And this was my first whitetail that I've killed in the Pacific time zone. So now I want to start a new group that's called the white Tail time Zone Slam. You'll kill one in Pacific, Central, Eastern, and Mountain time and I've now done that. And if I want to go for the white Tail time Zone super Slam, then I need to kill one in the Atlantic time zone, which I could only accomplish in Canada. So sometime in the future I'm going to do that. But I'm starting a new club. If you want to join me, should a message on Instagram at the White Tail time Zone Slam what about?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean you could accomplish two time zones in a day in certain areas pretty easy.
Speaker 12: Yep.
Speaker 2: Well, I've now done Pacific and if you wanted to like have a super duper Slam, you could go to Arizona, who is still a part of I think the Mountain time zone. But they do weird with daylight savings time where.
Speaker 1: They don't respect it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't respect daylight savings time. So if you want to do a super duper Slam, maybe you go kill a coups.
Speaker 13: Deer down there the super duper Slam, then you cover it off the shoe board stuff.
Speaker 6: All right, a couple more here. We've gotten this question multiple times, but Andrew's asking, Hey, Spencer, have you ever caught a gar on the Jim River?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, The Jim River flowed about ten miles away from where I grew off. The first boat I ever bought was a four hundred dollars fourteen and a half foot tiller boat, and that was bought so I could fish on the Jim River. So I caught mini gar. I'd have to be targeting catfish there and you'd get these little light bites. And that was a classic situation of where a gar was about to rob your bait.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, nice, Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then Cal, I threw this picture up when Solomon was on the line. But here's your here's your gar and fire on the bay. He is asking how long did you fight it for?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll throw I got I did get a good video because we actually had to rope that thing with one of the bowel lines to get it in classic This happens to me all the time when fish. We just don't have a net big enough for the fish. I can't, so you know, we're pretty good at getting crafty out. There was somewhere in the neighborhood at twenty minutes, not as long as you as you'd think.
Speaker 1: Cal.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I think I think I messed up. I think I accidentally cut your audio off there. Do you want to just restart that that question? I was trying to give the picture its own solo stage, and I removed our audio from from the show apologies, So yeah, you want to say that again.
Speaker 2: Pill is operator over the Yeah, jus.
Speaker 4: Not as long as you as you think. I think about about twenty minutes. We didn't have a net big enough for the fish, which is a common thing when I'm fishing, and we had to rope it with one of the bowel lines on the boat. So super super, super fun, really cool seeing that thing. I thought it was a big black drum, So when it finally came up to the surface, I was amazed, right because, yeah, there's no way nine times out of ten you're not gonna keep that thing on the line because of the teeth and the how a brace of the scales are on that thing.
Speaker 1: So another snap the.
Speaker 2: Line, another treat for a YouTube audience. You'd get to see that guard that Count was just talking about there.
Speaker 4: Phil, Yeah, I noticed that there was a Phil question there that you didn't want to answer.
Speaker 1: Oh, well we'll get We've got another round at the end of the show. Okay, yeah, because we all want to know too. Edge of your seat.
Speaker 2: Moving on. Our next segment is meat poll.
Speaker 1: Say it's showy.
Speaker 6: A meat ball is a take Welcome to me, eat Rady, I got a game something.
Speaker 1: But we should put all these like on an album and sell it.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll stand out in Times Square trying to say hey, hey, check us out. Trivia drops no addresses, Mario.
Speaker 11: H.
Speaker 2: Uh uncle Phil Cracker over there with another creeps. Wonderful job. All right, meet Pole is a test of how much you know about your fellow hunters and anglers. I surveyed five hundred meat Eater listeners about personal preferences and personal experiences in the outdoors. Your job is to predict their answers. Now there are three questions. Whoever is the closest to the correct answer between Cal and Seth gets a point. The first person to two points will be the winner in the chat. You should play along too if you get it, like within one point of the correct answer. Phil's gonna shout you out at the end. He's gonna he's gonna watch who who has the right Well, Krin is gonna watch as well. Uh, they're all gonna watch. So put your answers in the chat. But this is a game between Cal.
Speaker 4: So you can't look at the chat. Seth, I'm not gonna either.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's not like the chat knows the answer, but they're just maybe informing you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, all right.
Speaker 2: Question one. This question was for dog owners only. What percentage of meat eater listeners said their dog sleeps in bed with them at night? What percentage? And go to a decimal place for us? What percentage of meat eater listeners said their dog sleeps in bed with them at night? Cal dog owner? Where does your dog sleep at night?
Speaker 1: In bed?
Speaker 2: Your bed?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Seth dog owner? Where does your dog sleep at night in bed? How about the cat?
Speaker 1: Oh, the cat's in a different room, buddy.
Speaker 2: Apparently Karen two, double dog owner? Where do they sleep at night?
Speaker 14: Not in the bed, not in bed, on the floor, on their beds if.
Speaker 1: You're if you wasn't so damn big, I.
Speaker 14: Mean like sometimes squid will get up on the couch. But yeah, my dog is like one hundred and twenty five pounds.
Speaker 2: And then the other dog weighs as much as that dog's leg. Yes, yeah, well also a double dog owner, is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true?
Speaker 2: Where do your dog sleep at night?
Speaker 6: And Blueberry of the Fruits Mango sleeps with my oldest son in his room he's she's a little Australian kelpie, black slick, full of piss and vinegar and blueberry, sleeps in our room on the floor. He is a large.
Speaker 3: Okay, God, this makes me want to change my answer.
Speaker 2: All right, So Seth and Cal, you have your answers for again, what percentage of meat eater listeners said their dog sleeps in bed with.
Speaker 1: Them at night?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying thirty three point six percent, and we have Seth saying sixty seven point eight percent. Koren, who's playing along for fun, says forty percent.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, we had a last minute entry just now that I think is the closest one from the chat.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what was your answer against Seth sixty seven point eight The correct answer is forty eight point six, meaning Cal gets that point. He was fifteen points off. About half of the listeners said that their dog sleeps in bed with him.
Speaker 6: You guys, unless I'm mistaken, Brian Bradford got the closest.
Speaker 1: There were dozens of ANTISI.
Speaker 2: Well done, one point five percentage points off of the correct answer.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 2: A recent study from Total Vet showed that seventy six percent of American dog owners allow their dog to sleep in bed with them. Wow, so outdoorsmen or meat eater listeners specifically or less than that. The number one reason people don't allow their dog to sleep in bed with them is because of cleanliness, followed by concerns about fleas and because the dog moves too much. That same study found that thirty three percent of married dog owners said they sleep better next to their dog then they do their spouse.
Speaker 4: If I gave my dog flea, she won't matter, she wudn't mind.
Speaker 1: I don't get it. Sometimes like straight up mud in our bed. Yeah, exactly, you just get over that real quick.
Speaker 2: Xeth. You sleep better next to Wiley or next to Kelsey.
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Probably Kelsey because Wiley likes to She likes to get real close. Oh Kelsey, like we're going to sleep.
Speaker 2: Uh huh okay that the dog on, he's got others.
Speaker 3: And often oftentimes why he likes to sneak up and like you'll wake up and her head's like on your pillow with you.
Speaker 1: Oh, or she's like at your she just all over the place. When I first started, my labs were outside of the year.
Speaker 2: Then he loved them and they were.
Speaker 4: I do think like, if you're interested in having like very cold, weather resistant and water resistant labradors sleep, having them sleep. They can be inside with you and hanging out, but when it's time to go to bed, they go outside into the candle.
Speaker 1: That's the way to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not under the covers though. No question two, and again we have con with one point, Seth with zero. We need cow to get this right. Could be the game to win or Seth gets it right, We'll go to question three. What percentage of meat Eater listeners think they could beat a mountain lion in a bare hand and fight to the death. What percentage of meat Eater listeners think they could beat a mountain lion and a bare handed fight to the death. Again, I pulled five hundred people from our audience to get this answer.
Speaker 4: I mean, your life is on the line, so you better think you can win.
Speaker 2: Uh huh okay. Cal has yet to write down an answer, though. What percentage of meat Eater listeners think they could beat a mountain lion and a bare handed fight to the death. If you'll recall we used to do this as a different show on med Eater Trivia, but when we talked about doing med Eater Radio. I thought I would peel that off from there and make it a segment in med Eater Radio. I think it fits better over here. So you're not gonna hear some media or trivia anymore. Meat pole is going to be for meat Eater Radio.
Speaker 6: Without revealing anything. Someone in the chat got it right on the money down to the desk, okay.
Speaker 2: And I see Seth watching.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've seeing.
Speaker 14: Some And you guys have too much of an ego if you're in the set.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Are you boys ready to reveal your answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying fifty four point four percent of mediated listeners think they could beat a mountain lion in a bare handed fight to the death. And we have Seth saying twenty six point three.
Speaker 4: What's that game show?
Speaker 1: Phil? Show me fifty four?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, which everyone from the crew strongly dislikes.
Speaker 1: Not me, Spencer.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is twenty one point five. Seth was just five percentage points away from the correct answer.
Speaker 6: The alternate universe, Colin Farrell chimed in, oh, not the meat eater. He's also a handsome chat, but he gets twenty one point five.
Speaker 2: Colin Ferrell, well done right on the nose.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: I asked this same question at the Boise Live show in April, and thirty four percent of that audience said they believed they could beat a mountain lion and a bare handed fight to the death. So people from Idaho are more likely to think they could win that battle than just our general med eater audience. You believe that cans that seem right based on what you know about folks from Idaho.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a lot of cat hunters in Idaho, so yeah, maybe.
Speaker 2: Now, according to the Mountain Lion Foundation, fifteen percent of mountain lion attacks are fatal, but I doubt the other you know, eighty five percent end with the mountain lion dying, So I guess we'll never know.
Speaker 1: I was going to say fatal for.
Speaker 2: Who All Right, here is question three. Whoever's closest between Seth and cow will be the winner? What percentage of meat eater listeners think Seth is a better angler than Chester. Five hundred people from our audience answered this question. What percentage of media trying to break up a marriage? I think Seth is a better angler than Chester. I mean, hey, this is a company who's had a turkey calling contests online, so I think we were it's fair game to ask this question, Seth, who do you think?
Speaker 3: I think most people think Chester is better? You think so, well, he's just he's just kind of talking about it more.
Speaker 4: Okay, who're talking about being better than you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who do you think is better?
Speaker 1: That's an unfair question?
Speaker 2: Could we could go species specific? How about Walleye? Who's a better angler? Whileye oh god, you have to go with that. Why couldn't you ask just like musky or something, who's better at musky?
Speaker 1: Chester?
Speaker 2: Who's better at trout?
Speaker 1: Chester?
Speaker 2: Who's better at pass?
Speaker 1: Seth?
Speaker 2: Catfish? Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're both we both have our strengths and weaknesses. Okay, all right, So again the question is what percentage of meat eater listeners think Seth is a better angler than Chester?
Speaker 1: Seth?
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Cal?
Speaker 2: Are you ready reveal your answers? We have Cal saying forty two point one and Seth saying forty zero point one percent. Wow, you guys are both in the ballpark. I'll tell you that one of you is one percentage point off of the correct answer. The correct answer is forty three point one percent, making cal our winner, and Don Saltz says, salt say forty two point two well done. Down, So forty three percent of people think Seth is a better angler than chesters.
Speaker 4: I got one hundred percent uh radio live game win streak going here.
Speaker 2: Oh you won the field trivia and now me pull you found a home field now, as we learned from a previous episode im mediate or Trivia, my polling of our audience found that forty two percent of anglers think they're a better angler than the average angler, which is kind of off because I think it's like sixty percent of Americans think they're smarter than the average American, but only forty percent of anglers think they're a better angler than the average angler.
Speaker 1: I think that I think I'm better than the average angler.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Chester is the average angler.
Speaker 1: I think that it should be. I mean, yeah, humbling, Well you want I mean no, I mean you want to have what you do?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well done, Cal as the winner there of our first meat poll in media to radio.
Speaker 1: I got a lot of people to thank.
Speaker 2: So now our next segment is from Chester Floyd. This is chettiqitt c t t qu e t.
Speaker 6: T E find out bud means to me c g t q you e t t E take care of a GT.
Speaker 2: This week, Chester is answering a listener's question about duck hunting on public land.
Speaker 15: Hello everybody, my name's Chester Floyd, and I'm coming at you from yet another beautiful campfire in Wisconsin. We got a real ripper going tonight and uh. Anyways, this week's chettiqit question comes to us from Ben ben Wrights, dear meat eater crewe. Opening morning of Southern Zone duck season in Wisconsin, my buddy and I ran into a situation that got us thinking about public land hunting etiquette. We arrived at a pond around three am, where another hunter was waiting in the parking lot for his buddies but hadn't set up yet. We politely discuss where we'd be hunting, but he claimed we'd be too close, even though we'd be three hundred to four hundred yards apart. To avoid conflict, we moved to a different spot. His buddies didn't arrive until much later, and we started wondering the sitting in the parking lot reserve your spot, or should we have just gone to our original location since we were all ready to set up.
Speaker 9: We'd love to hear your thoughts well, Ben, I do have some thoughts for you, sitting.
Speaker 11: In the parking lot trying to claim the spot and open in the morning and trying to shoot it duck, waiting on your buddies from the night before, the lad hung over and feeling sore.
Speaker 15: It ain't right.
Speaker 1: It ain't right.
Speaker 10: If you don't claim your spot. You can't do it from the parking lot and being nice. I love anyways, you like that little song. I think you did the right thing of talking to that guy in the parking lot, and I think you did the right thing on moving to another spot.
Speaker 15: However, the fella, I think you might have called it in the email the parking lot cowboy or something like that, just waiting there for his buddies not set up.
Speaker 9: I don't think that's the right way to do it. To hold your spot.
Speaker 15: I think you need to be where you're going to be hunting, and that's that's my opinion. You need to be set up and then you can claim your spot.
Speaker 2: A phenomenal Chetti quit.
Speaker 6: Phenomenal check chet does the actual musician ship work around the office.
Speaker 1: I just I'm a I'm a joker. I'm a jester. It got weird Atlas, so.
Speaker 2: I told Chetty made a mistake. But I started doing these like singing with his guitar, because now he's got to do them all that way. It's too good to do a chettiquitt with anything but music. You boys have any input on on how that situation should have been handled, I.
Speaker 4: Think doing the parking lot, I would hope ripped his buddies a new one when they showed up, like being late like that. Yeah yeah, I mean if I'm the guy in the parking lot, I'd be like, gang, you, thanks for telling me where you're gonna set up. I'll adjust around you. Yep, yeah, I mean he's not there.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think you and you and Chester had the right take seth anything to.
Speaker 3: Add, no, I agree one hundred percent. You can't hold a spot like that by just sitting in the parking lot.
Speaker 4: Right because it's like, okay, well, is being on the road to the location good enough to hold it?
Speaker 2: Uh huh? I mean, come on, dude, Yeah yeah, Chester's gonna write a song about you if you try to pull that move again, parking lot cowboy all right. Joining us on the line next is Danielle Pruett, who has a new cookbook out right now called Wild and Whole. Yeah Book, It is beautiful. Danielle is going to talk to us about the proper way to brown ground meat, a simple step that many at home chefs mess up. Danielle, Welcome to the show. Hello, doing good. Danielle is standing in her kitchen right now, Danielle, Browning meat is a skill that every person should have. With that said, when someone has told the brown ground meat, what do you normally see happen?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 9: They gray it?
Speaker 2: Okay, they gray it? What does that mean exactly?
Speaker 12: Well, browning meat, I mean is like the term is coined because you're looking for a brown color in the meat, but the whole purpose is to infuse flavor in the meat. So pretty much every recipe, especially like a braised dish or a stew, you start by browning the meat first. It's not really there because you're trying to cook the meat through. You're just taking that step to make the meat as a flavorful, needy, savory as possible. So when you kind of like glance over that step, that's when your recipe comes out tasting like really.
Speaker 4: Dull or just like lack luster, and no one the kids say mid these days Danielle Brown whenever.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think our connection dropped there for a second. Danielle walk us through step by step the process leading up to putting that meat in a pan.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So, as you can see, I got this plate that looks like it's just meat is just flattened out on a plate. This is actually ground by north Bridge or Bison. But I chose this because it came in like one of those plastic bags, you know, and when you defrosted juices everywhere, all that liquid makes it difficult to brown meat. So the first thing I do after defrosting is put it on a plate, and I've pat it really really dry first. So that's like the first step is don't just like dump a wet bag of meat into the pan or else it's gonna steam it, and that's when you get kind of that grayish looking meat. So really, the way I like to think about this is to imagine like you're making a giant smash burger. Is kind of the easiest way to play it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm making a soup.
Speaker 12: This is from IM. Let my pan get hot here. This is my cookbook, and this is the recipe I'm doing. It's just like a really simple, like weak night meal soup with ground venison in it. So I'm making it in this Dutch oven. It's a stove. It's an enameled cast iron, so it retains its heat really well. So you want to get your pan really hot, and then you're gonna add some sort of fat or oil, use something that has a high smoke point because you want the pan really hot. I'm using beef tallow. I think tallow is a great great when cooking venison. But you can use like avacat of oil, greate seed oil, or canola oil. Those are all high smog points. And the reason why I like tallow is also because it has like a meteor flavor that I think just just taste good.
Speaker 2: We can hear that pan getting hot right now, Danielle. Are we at medium high heat?
Speaker 1: Medium heat?
Speaker 2: What are we doing on the stive? This is pretty good.
Speaker 12: This is like on high heat.
Speaker 2: Okay, high heat.
Speaker 12: Down, but you want to get it pretty hot, and I'll move the I'm by myself and hume, so I'll have to. I'm on a tripod, So once I get this in, I'll show you what's going on in the pan.
Speaker 9: But the pan is like.
Speaker 5: And then I take or whatever.
Speaker 12: And I literally just like lay it in there like I'm making a big smesh burger.
Speaker 2: That that is exactly what that looks like. She is now adding the ground meat to the pan. All right, Danielle is showing us the inside of the skillet. Now, were you just going to be doing this in batches here?
Speaker 16: Yeah, you don't want to put it all in at once, make it a little thicker, but I like to work.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 12: That place allows moisture.
Speaker 6: Yeah, really really quick, guys. The steam, the set the hissing from the pan is doing a number on Danielle's microphone like her auto algorithm settings. So it's not it's not her fault. It's just the microphones having trouble processing it. But we can see what you're doing, Danielle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the interpret to interpret for Danielle here, what she's saying is she's leaving enough room in the pan, including like a little doughnut hole in the middle. So the steam, even though she pre dried, pre padded dry her meat, that steam is going to come out, and you're not gonna steam the meat. You're gonna get that nice kind of brown crust evenly. And she's working in batches, not putting everything in there at once or else you're just gonna inevitably build up moisture in there and you're not going to get a good browning on your meat.
Speaker 2: All right, Danielle is working on this first pat or this first batch in the pan. Danielle, what point do we season the meat when we're browning it?
Speaker 12: I'm walking away that better.
Speaker 2: We'll find out.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So I season it after I slipped with salt, pepper, and then whatever else is in the recipe. I like to see a little bit later because salt will draw moisture out, So I let it get kind of a nice crust and I'll flip it, season it, and then season with like everything else that goes in the recipe. So a lot of times you'll see a recipe that'll be like add brown then add abc ingredient, and then add your spices like rosemary or whatever. But that just kind of gets the liquid flavorful, but not the meat. So I feel like the season the meat you get, the meat gets those flavors and then the liquid will kind of like band.
Speaker 2: When do we flip those patties now that we're turning into brown meat, She's about to check them out. Danielle's cookbook again is available right now. You can get it at the meat eater dot com. You could get it at Amazon, a lot of places books are sold. I have it sitting in my kitchen right now. I've already made a few recipes out of there. One thing I really love about the cookbook, and it seems unique to me, is that it is separated by the seasons, which for folks who go out and get their own food or forage it or catch it or kill it, whatever that is. That's a convenient way to think about your cooking. Danielle, give us an update there on the pan. We can see it.
Speaker 1: That's brown.
Speaker 2: That looks like brown meat. That's right. That is not grade meat like you described earlier. That is brown meat that we're seeing.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and so chop it up in aiece.
Speaker 2: Okay, she's flipped the burger. Now she's chopping Danielle. I feel like when I'm at like some fine dining place, I get ground burger in my meal. That is like bigger chunks. But my instinct at home is to like break it up into the minced the most mince meat possible. What what what should I be doing? Is it like recipe dependent? Is there a right way to do it? The wrong way?
Speaker 12: I think a lot of it's kind.
Speaker 16: Of personal, so, and it has a lot to do with the way that it's being ground and what's in the ground, how much fat's in the ground. So like you know, like a sausage has a lot of fat, and then you're you're sort of mixing it to like sort of emosify the fat in the in the cold water in there, so you're getting kind of like a like a solid form with ground meat, especially like a recipe like this that's going to be all loose. I personally like to grind it really fine in a way that keeps the.
Speaker 12: Strands as separate as possible, and then when you go to grind it, it gets into it like gets all these tiny little bit of crispy bits. That's really good. The problem with like grinding it that way is it doesn't make the best burger because it doesn't stick.
Speaker 16: Together as well.
Speaker 12: But it makes the best like loose round meat. If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Danielle has now taught us the proper way to brown ground meat, which is a great foundation for a lot of recipes in your cookbook. Tell folks about the cookbook what they should expect to find in there if they pick one up.
Speaker 1: So connection there. Oh you're good, sorry, Danielle.
Speaker 12: Oh, so the cookbook is. You can buy it wherever books are sold. It's organized by the seasons, because I wanted people to get really excited about what's growing, what you can haunt, what you can fish outdoors, to get outside in nature and be inspired by the outdoors and be able to cook through the seasons. And so you'll find all sorts of recipes, not just for wild game, but like a lot of really vegetable centered recipes. There's even desserts in there, like for winter, I've got a duck fat chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Speaker 2: All right, Danielle, Let's say that someone just picked up the cookbook and they kill their uh, they kill a deer here in the coming month, and they bring that venison home. What's the first thing that you think they should make from your cookbook? Give us your best recommendation.
Speaker 12: Well, if you were asking my husband His birthday is the first of October or first week of October, and usually likes to go archery l hunting, and if he's successful, the first thing he wants for his birthday is venison tartar. He just likes to eat it raw. He gets really excited about that. But I think it depends on the kind of person you are and what your what you you know, what you like to eat. I think there's some recipe for tenderloins with brown butter and sage that it's very good. It's literally just those two things, super simple but really really savory, and those are kind of like the good like celebratory dishes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the tartar recipe you're talking about, I made that at home last week, and I loved the parmesan horse radish spread. I'm gonna I'm gonna use that now like once a month. That's gonna be one of my go to condiments.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's really good on like if you're gonna make a sandwich. So there's another recipe for like a venison sirloin tip that's like roasted, kind of like you would roast a prime rib. So it's like that rosy red big honk of meat. Slice that really thin and put that on a sandwich with that parmesan horse radish sauce and it's pretty money.
Speaker 2: All right, Danielle, Well, thank you for the lesson on browning ground meat. Congrats on the cokebook, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, good variety. Don't get bored with it. It's awesome.
Speaker 2: Cal Have you broke into the cookbook yet?
Speaker 13: Have you?
Speaker 2: Have you experimented with any of the recipes.
Speaker 4: I just got it and I've been out of town, but flipped through it, and Yeah, there's all sorts of fun stuff in there. And there's some like non meat things in there which I definitely could get a shot in the arm over. I get obsessed over turning over the freezer. Sure, so I'm more of the protein oriented cook. So there's like some Bruce Setta and stuff in there.
Speaker 2: There you go, it's good for You're gonna explore beyond the fall section when you.
Speaker 4: Yes do it? Yeah, exactly, the squash blossoms stuff like that. Yeah, that sounds good.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: That brings us to the end of the show. Phil, let's get some listener feedback.
Speaker 6: Yeah, another big, big meaty question here. It'll work there we are, and more than ninety four says I'm looking for your career change. My passion is the outdoors. Any suggestions for a career to look into.
Speaker 2: We had a trivia question about this at one point, and Seth can speak to this more. But there was some polling done of thousands of Americans asking them about their careers and their stress level and their happiness and their pay grade and time off and stuff like that, and that polling found that the happiest people, the happiest Americans are working in the forestry industry. So I guess that would be one of my recommendations if you work in a place that you're looking to just just be happy. In general, those people seem to have less stress, they were stoked on their pay, and really loved what they did. Seth, does that seem right to you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say for the most part.
Speaker 3: But I guess to play Devil's advocate a little bit on that is, you often look at a forest in a different way that a normal person would like you A normal person might go into a stand in trees and be like, oh, this is like beautiful, and whereas like a forest or somethings like there's an invasive you know, these trees are like all I don't know, overgrown and like not healthy, and you know, you just kind of look at things differently. But as a hunter, you also look at it differently because you're like, oh, the like this tree is gonna be producing fit here in like a month or you know so, and.
Speaker 2: I imagine as forest tree. It's a wide range of education levels that you can have at experienced levels.
Speaker 1: Total.
Speaker 2: Again, happiest career field among Americans.
Speaker 1: It is a great career field.
Speaker 2: Call anything, dad, Yeah, I think on.
Speaker 4: Our connectivity problem is really messing up the happiness of that job. Because used to be out of cell phone service for the most part, and as long as you were out of your truck and outside of the truck radio, you couldn't be bothered, which I'm sure is what made those people so happy. Now it's like there's cell phone service down near everywhere. So yeah, yeah, come on.
Speaker 2: As we talked about with Solomon David, I was a fish biologist in my former life and I loved it.
Speaker 12: That was.
Speaker 2: Very fun going to work every day.
Speaker 1: It's oftentimes rewarding work.
Speaker 6: Yes, sure, yep, John asked is there a release date for the new Meat Eater American History audio book? And then Randall piped in in the chat, Hey, John, Meat Eat American History Volume two comes out in February. We're actually recording it next week. The podcast studio is booked.
Speaker 2: H huh all week.
Speaker 1: It's a b and my bonnet spencer. Yeah, but we're gonna make it work.
Speaker 2: And Randall's not stressed at all.
Speaker 6: No, he's doing great, uh huh, completely put together.
Speaker 2: So Meat Eater American History Volume two coming out in February.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 6: A favorite thing to make with a bear shoulder. Micah got his first black bear this year. You guys have any shoulder tips.
Speaker 4: Green chili, it's a great one. Lots of connective tissue in the shoulders. The bummer is if you part out that shoulder there's actually really tender meat in front shoulders, which a lot of people don't think about. But you can cook that shoulder hole on the smoker and then part it out, drop it into like a green chili or red chili chili Colorado something like that, and it's it's absolute winter killer stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like I like just like blade roast, you know, like drop that thing in a crockpot and like being able to just pull a full scapula out of a slow cooked piece of meat is pretty satisfy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get the old Betty Crocker cookbook and the Italian pot roast recipe for bear is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've already been served bear. I haven't cooked myself, but in part of my plate we cook some coyote, which you have to handle similar to bear, because it's a pretor and predator and you're worried about trick and osis that we just put in a crock pot. And I could have told you was any sort of red meat in the world and you wouldn't have known the difference. So as as Seth suggested, and cal croc pot might be the way to go.
Speaker 6: Do you guys have bucket list states that you have not hunted yet?
Speaker 1: It's from Enzo.
Speaker 2: Iowa we talked about on a previous show. We ranked the states would love to have a hunting property, and I'm building points in that state. It's going to happen soon, but I'd put Iowa on the bucket list. And then you know my new silly goal with the white tailed time zone slam. I got to go to Quebec or New Brunswick or something over there.
Speaker 13: How about you boys, I want to do the Kansas thing like on probably East Oka, and then.
Speaker 3: More so A bucket list animal rather than state is moose. But I mean I'd love to hunt one in Alaska.
Speaker 4: So cal you know, give me an excuse. I'll hunt any state and be real excited about it. And the question that they were referring to earlier, that was directed at me from Colin any playser shows coming up?
Speaker 1: Phil?
Speaker 6: The answer is, yes, I'm not doing the Christmas show this year, but i am. There aren't there aren't a lot of adult male parts in Annie unfortunately, but I am doing a show in February that I'm excited about. It's like I've it's it's outside of the big historic theater in Bozeman. It's sort of like an off I don't want to say off Broadway, but it's a it's a smaller play called The Minute, sort of like a twelve angry Man, like a bunch of people deliberating in a room. It takes place in real time. So like that kind of stuff is a blast, Like I'm really I'm excited to dig into it. So if you're in the Bozeman area in February, check that out.
Speaker 2: I will be I'm gonna go see it.
Speaker 1: Could we call it off off Broadway?
Speaker 2: Maybe a few more offs, several anything else fill from the chat this week?
Speaker 6: I don't I don't know if you guys saw it, anything that that popped up that you guys want to want to tackle, but.
Speaker 4: Oh I saw is Is there a chance of Phil going out on a hunt that's going to be m m oh, yeah, I did start that one boop it would be hunt that you will go on.
Speaker 1: Phil.
Speaker 6: I've I've actually been on a few hunts multiple with Ryan Callahan here. He got me my first pheasants. But nothing I do will ever be filmed. I can guarantee that I don't look forward to that. But yeah, I don't really have the fire and my belly for it. But every time I get out there, I just love being outside and learning a ton of stuff that I don't know much about. And Cal's a great, great host, So yeah, hopefully we can get out there soon.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: That brings us to the end of the show, and we're starting a new tradition this week. We're going to end each show with a video. It might be funny or educational or gross, and this week's is a little bit of all three. Here is Steve cleaning a sting ray. We'll see everyone back here at the same time and place next week for more meaty to radio.
Speaker 1: To demonstrate the low yield.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a lot of doing and you get in the tree and a lot of little bags come.
Speaker 9: Out of it.
Speaker 1: Is there like the vivorous settings in the car? Five bird?
Speaker 2: What don't you call that Skatewe said no, just get.
Speaker 1: A ring or anything.
Speaker 2: There's one, So.
Speaker 1: We got a skin of you. There's steth plays.
Speaker 7: Realize the side of