Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Oh we did it.
Speaker 2: We made it to a Thursday. It's our one. Morale is high. Ready to go. It's Heisman Thursday. Here kind of we have Joe Burrow, Robert Griffin, the Third, Bryce Young and Mark Sanchez.
Speaker 3: If Fox that is come on.
Speaker 4: That's not nice.
Speaker 2: I said to Todd, I don't know do we want Mark Sanchez on a day with all these Heisman quarterbacks? We love Mark Sanchez.
Speaker 5: I didn't tell them who the other guests was.
Speaker 6: Oh you didn't you know?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 6: Could I be?
Speaker 5: Fright?
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. This first hour brought to you by the great folks at tire rack dot com. Official tire expert at the DP show. Go to tire rack dot com. Slash dam tried the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Goodyear tires, special offers, free roade, hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tire rack dot com The way tire buying should be. Thank you to everybody who was there last night. Tip Patina's a wonderful musical landmark there with Dan Levitard and had some fun for an hour or so. All the dan ats, all the backroom guys, everybody came except for I knew that was coming Todd.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was not there for that. Yeah, but it was not about not supporting you. I just was. I was was like a mini protest. And I ended up meeting a very.
Speaker 8: Nice couple and some kids at the hotel and took their era for an hour, went for a walk around Bourbon Street, the French Quarter.
Speaker 5: I got it worked out in almost went in the pool and Jacuzzi.
Speaker 2: No, I don't care what you did.
Speaker 5: Almost, but I.
Speaker 8: Didn't want you to take it as like, you know, everyone came to support me and be there for me. I go to your stand up comedy and you decide to blow off my thing.
Speaker 9: But you could I guess you could feel that is true, but it.
Speaker 8: Wasn't meant to like. I didn't go out of my way. You know what, I'm gonna really stick it to Dan. I bet you everyone's going to show up and they hold his hand, and I'm going to be.
Speaker 6: The only one.
Speaker 2: You were the only one not there hold his hand. Yeah, you just had to show up. You didn't have to do anything.
Speaker 5: I was taking every bood.
Speaker 9: He was there, big german was there. Dylan was there, right into the big german in the elevator. He goes, you're coming downstairs, right you go? Actually, I wasn't gonna head over there. Oh you're gonna hear crap about that tomorrow.
Speaker 5: He knew it was covered eight seven seven three.
Speaker 2: DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock, and our radio affiliate says, well, yes.
Speaker 10: See, what were you protesting Todd?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, why are you protesting tippatinas legendary music?
Speaker 10: Awesome man, really really cool place.
Speaker 2: I went there thirty seven years ago with my wife when we took the bike trip from Atlanta to New Orleans and we nearly ended our marriage going from Atlanta to New Orleans six days on Hattiesburg.
Speaker 10: Yes, I think it was.
Speaker 2: I think we were in Mississippi. I think we were in like Gulf Port or Jackson or something like that. But U five hundred miles six days, and that'll test your marriage, by the way. And we ended up at tip Patina's having some some beers watching the radiators, and all of a sudden we forgot everything that that at that transpired those previous six days.
Speaker 10: Came away stronger from us.
Speaker 4: Yes we did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're still together. I have not been on that bike in thirty seven years. For you, I said to my wife. We got to New Orleans and I said, hun, pack it up. I'm not riding it again. And I still have that bike and I've never ridden it.
Speaker 10: Protesting years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a protest with my bike. Todd had a protest against.
Speaker 5: We all have to take a stand sometimes. Yeah, we don't stand for something, you fall for everything. Isn't that what they said?
Speaker 10: I heard that activist Tip Patina's with them.
Speaker 5: It's not Tip and Tina. So it's not two people that are No.
Speaker 2: It's not. If you have gone you would have noticed.
Speaker 5: I was curious what the origin of that's an interesting name?
Speaker 2: Well, why are you asking me now? Why not google it? You had plenty of time last night to google it.
Speaker 5: I did have a couple couple of side minutes, all right.
Speaker 11: Yes, Paul Tippo Tineas's creole for I don't support my boss.
Speaker 10: The best of you guys holding Dan's hand the whole time.
Speaker 2: Dan Lebatard's entire staff was there. Everybody was there.
Speaker 8: They talk while you guys are about you're gonna open up the door, I'm gonna walk through.
Speaker 7: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 10: Stut's tried to make a night about himself.
Speaker 7: Stut very well.
Speaker 10: You knew the minute he entered the building. You knew the minute he left the building, because that was show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, LeBatard sidekicked gotts.
Speaker 6: I didn't hear him at all every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in the back yelling. But other than that, it was a great night, had a wonderful night.
Speaker 5: Was there an intermission? Did they give it a playbill? Of what was going on? Over her?
Speaker 2: Toddy is not a joke?
Speaker 9: Okay, there were the curtains opening.
Speaker 2: I opened my heart last night to our audience, and you weren't there.
Speaker 6: Much to your dismissed.
Speaker 10: Yes, Dan, we are here. Were you today?
Speaker 3: I want to talk about the many things that make you the great man that you are.
Speaker 10: We are also privileged to be here. That's about Dan Levatards.
Speaker 5: That's quite good.
Speaker 2: It was a deep dive and I I just kept He wanted to talk about, you know, my personal journey and my health, and I just was like, no, I don't think so. I don't want to do that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: There was a point where Dan Levatard asked Dan Patrick what was love like in the house, and I was like, oh, man, we might have.
Speaker 10: To go see Dan. I was yelling up, there's a trade, there's been a train.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Butler.
Speaker 10: Jimmy Butler ire like, what the hell?
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, I thought that I was there with Sally, Jesse, Raphael or doctor Phil.
Speaker 10: You know I can't get me to cry.
Speaker 5: No, no, then I'll stop doing what you're doing. Dan in the bedroom. That's not gonna work. Your walking around with a hag.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we need to say that that had nothing to do with last night.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how would he know? He wasn't there? Yeah, I have no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he can't even comment. How was Long Order punk?
Speaker 5: Everybody loves Raymond first of them.
Speaker 2: Welcome to New Orleans. Joe Burrow will join us, coming up here in a little bit. RG three, Robert Griffith Junior the third, Bryce Young and then Mark Sanchez. Some of the headlines there. The Warriors got Jimmy Butler. I told you I spoke to somebody on Monday who is affiliated with Golden State and he said, we're desperate. Quote, we're desperate, and I'm like, okay. And they had been kind of, uh, basically trying to get somebody something to happen here. But you start to look at Steph and Draymond, Well the window is sort of open and if you're going to do something for Steph. To me, there's no downside. You got Jimmy Butler for two years. There's a lot of money. Yes, we know what he does in the playoffs. Who you gave up? You kept some of your young, younger players. This is it, this is last call. You got Steph at what thirty seven, Jimmy at thirty five. They didn't get Durant. You still have Draymond Green. That'll be fun to see how Jimmy Butler and Draymond Green co exist. They will be a really good, defensive minded team. Yes, Paul, I actually thought the opposite.
Speaker 11: Those two guys are a couple of killers, and especially in the playoffs, I think they're not playing against each Oh yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I thought Jimmy.
Speaker 10: Butler it's perfect for a playoff player.
Speaker 2: It's Draymond doesn't fit in perfectly. That's the problem.
Speaker 6: Yes, Marv on NBA teams, there's only room for one bleep a team, and now the Warriors have two.
Speaker 10: One bleeper team, two bleepers.
Speaker 3: When's the last time Jimmy Butler joined somebody else's team and it went well.
Speaker 10: He's third, at least third on the depth chart there.
Speaker 2: I it's desperate times, desperate times. They they tried, they rolled the dice. They got Jimmy Butler.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marv, last call at the club, it is.
Speaker 2: It was, it's one fifty one fifty eight in the morning.
Speaker 6: Yes, it is.
Speaker 10: We better win right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lakers traded Dalton Connect to Charlotte for Mark Williams. Hell the yes, like he's got to go, Marcus, marky something. You can't be Mark with. Anybody know who Mark Williams was prior to today.
Speaker 6: I went to high school with Mark Williams.
Speaker 2: We all went to high school. Williams.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think he's a CPA.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm Mark Williams High Mark. Uh So he went to Duke. First of all, he was a sophomore drafted, So right there, I'm like, not good enough to go first year went to Duke. It's hard not to know somebody went to Duke. Right, Mark. Normally you're like, oh, yeah, that guy he played with they went to the final four?
Speaker 8: Yes, what does don connect tell friends and family? You got the Lakers traded in?
Speaker 5: Who did they get it?
Speaker 2: Bick Mark Williams, Mark Williams, But Dalton Kneck's going to play a lot and uh, you know with with Charlotte but Mark Williams. Okay, this is one of those things. Report. The report was that Luca wanted a big man that he could ally up to. Now you don't have Anthony Davis, Mark Williams and Mark Williams has some nice numbers. You get a big man. I don't think he's a shot blocker, but you know, you you get the feeling of he's twenty three and maybe you get somebody who's going to be there and develop.
Speaker 11: Yes, Pully does this feel a little Clint Capella ish He averages sixteen and ten, he's twenty three years old.
Speaker 10: He doesn't need the ball a lot. I think this is a positive for Yes.
Speaker 2: I think the Lakers did well. I do. I think this was a smart move by them.
Speaker 10: Yes see yeah, right, they needed a big man who doesn't want the ball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I get it.
Speaker 2: Perfect and the Pelicans traded brandon Ingram to the Raptors. You know the oracle. You know who the oracle is, right, Jake and Los Angeles.
Speaker 7: JA and La.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jake in la is Jake and Louisiana. Now say he works for the Pelicans.
Speaker 10: Still, La.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I see Jake and I go, hey, what are the Pels gonna do? And he goes, I can't tell you that. I go, wait, you're a friend of the show. He goes, No, I work for the Pelicans. I go, Jake, you're gonna trade brandon Ingram. I don't know anything about that. Well coached, I know, I know, he didn't say anything to me. I go, okay, I said, you're gonna trade brandon Ingram. Brandon Ingram got traded to the Raptors. Now, you know brandon Ingram's got He's always in the Hall of Goodish and puts up nice numbers where you go, Okay, there's a few of those guys in the NBA. Where you go, Well, he's averaging twenty three and you know, six and six and.
Speaker 6: They all play for the Sacramento Kings.
Speaker 2: Now brandon Ingram, Yeah, so he's going to the Raptors. Now, So that was some of the and we still have the rest of today with the trade deadline. That's what for Eastern I believe that the NBA trade deadline poll question today Seaton, what are we gonna go with here?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 10: Who got most Betterer? I Heat Warriors, Lakers.
Speaker 2: Spurs, Heat Warriors, Lakers.
Speaker 3: But maybe if we don't want to do most Betterer, if we could do who's closer.
Speaker 10: To a title? Oh, we could do some version of those seem.
Speaker 2: To be the big one. I would say Dallas is closer to a title. I would say the Spurs did the best in my opinion, because you know, you get Dearon Fox and Daron Fox. He is a sniper man. You go twenty four and thirteen in your debut on He's gonna make win Ben Yama the best player in the game in the next two years. And he gives you that. You know you have the big man, and you have the point guard. I mean, the NBA is littered with that down through the years. Now, granted, the NBA is positionless, but I still believe in having that point guard, that guy who can put you in the right position and you know he's gonna run your offense and that's what you have with Taron Fox.
Speaker 6: Love that.
Speaker 2: I love that trade for them, But I like what the Lakers did. I don't love what the Lakers did because you're still trying to figure out where are they going and you still have Lebron, you know, but they you know, you got Lebron who's still there, and I don't know the impact he'll have he wants to have, he can have over the next year or two. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, but is what the what the Lakers are doing this year any different than what the Warriors are doing? The Warriors are now, Yeah, I mean I kind of feel like the Lakers are too.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: The Lakers are like, we got we don't have this, we don't have Lebron for very much longer.
Speaker 10: We need to win right now too.
Speaker 2: I don't even think they're thinking about that. I think they're thinking down the road. So you got a twenty three year old, You got Luca who's twenty five, so they got younger. You still have Lebron. But I don't know if they said, boy, let's get Lebron another title. Golden State is basically saying let's try one more time. I don't know if the Lakers thought process was the same.
Speaker 10: So then does that.
Speaker 3: Mean that they don't like Dalton Connect or because if you're looking to building towards the future, you're keeping him right.
Speaker 2: Well, but you got a twenty three year old center too, so they're both twenty three years of age. Yeah, and they do like Dalton Connect. I mean, you can't help but liking him. As Marvin said, if Dalton Connect was eighteen years of age coming from Europe, he would have been maybe the second pick in the draft, he would, you know that? Instead he's like, oh, he played in the SEC and he's twenty three years of age transferred there, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 6: So if you trade for Luca, you're not trying to win a title, don't. I know he's young, but.
Speaker 2: Well, you're trying to win a title. I don't think you're closer to winning a title than Dallas is. I think Dallas is closer to winning a title now. I think Luca is now, but also really in the next two years.
Speaker 10: Yes, but didn't Luca get Dallas to the finals last year?
Speaker 2: He did? He did?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, So expectations are if you have Luca and Lebron.
Speaker 2: At least for two years, who goes farther?
Speaker 6: The Hornets.
Speaker 2: Who goes farther this year? Lakers or Mavericks PI to the face.
Speaker 5: Damn, we just have a good sports radio conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, damn.
Speaker 6: What was love like?
Speaker 2: I've never had somebody ask me what was love like in your house growing up? What dude, what are you talking about? Man?
Speaker 6: Levatar was like, I want to know what love is.
Speaker 5: What I want you to show me on you.
Speaker 2: And you could have sang that last night and tippetina is if you had gone with it. Yes, all right, let's see if does Joe still want to join us?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's gonna call it audible or go right back to the hotel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's true. Last time we had him on was his first year when he was in Miami, and there was a really cool moment when when Joe came out or Joe was done with the interview and Russell Wilson came out and then it's almost like that welcome to the NFL. Russ is like here, take my digits, and Seatan was like, man, that's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It's like you saw somebody like crossover from college to the pros.
Speaker 10: There's like that there's this whole.
Speaker 3: One of the things that I love so much about the draft is that it's like literally the moment someone's dreams came true.
Speaker 10: Right, you did it.
Speaker 3: You started as a kid and you're like, man, someday I hope to play in the NFL. And then now you just did it. You just got drafted. You just like shook the commissioner's hand. And it was in between the end of the football season and the draft, and so Joe Burrow was like just on this ride of it starting to happen and seeing a guy like Russell Wilson be like what's up baby.
Speaker 10: You know, and like, you know, you're in the club now. Man, here's my number.
Speaker 3: You need anything, call me Like, yeah, you're in now because you're one of us. I just think those are like the coolest moments.
Speaker 2: The NFL is going to play a game in Australia. I think next year we're going to play the game of who is going to be subjected to going to Australia to play an NFL game That'll mess up your body clock for like four days. I remember going to Sydney. When I got there and then when I came back, I was messed up for a while. NFL Players Association said no, no eighteen game season. Right, all right, we'll take a break. We'll settle on our poll question. And it's sort of Hall of Fame or Heisman Thursday with Joe Burrow. And let's see, we got Bryce Young joining us. We have Robert Griffin Junior the third joining us and Mark Sanchez. We'll take a break. We're back after this and the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: You could catch us.
Speaker 12: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that We've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planet Earth. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Joe Burrow will join us. Coming up here in New Orleans. By the way, it's meet Thursday Chad and Julie from Trager Outside. We have a whole gator. We have alligator bites, catfish, shrimp, red beans and rice, gumbo, jumbalaya, Cajun corn, po boys, and hurricane cocktails. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 6: No body?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yes, pony.
Speaker 10: Wow, that is a one seed meal.
Speaker 2: I know, a hole gator.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I saw it.
Speaker 11: It's it's smoking, it's nice as gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said, where'd you get the whole gator and Chad said, I out by the airport.
Speaker 10: It just caught it, wrestled it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've seen Chad, it can take down get hands in the swamp and just pulled it out by what's the uh? What's poll question? Before we bring in Joe Bert.
Speaker 3: We're gonna go closest to a ring and your five options are Laker Spurs, Warriors, uh heat, and whoever that other team want?
Speaker 2: Was the Mavericks in there? Naps?
Speaker 5: Thanks?
Speaker 2: Okay, you have Mavericks in there? All right. He's Joe Burrow. He is joining us on behalf of the great folks at FedEx the Aaron Ground NFL Player of the Year Awards. Please welcome the comeback Player of the Year Joe Burrow joining us on the program. Have right, Yeah, he's ready to go. Joe, you can sit over here, get closer to me. Yeah, come on over here, Yeah, over here. I'll proper check to your blind side. It's been a while, I think the last time Miami, Yeah, a long time ago. Yeah, And I remember asking you where'd your confidence come from? And you said you've always had it? But at what point do you go? Dad? I think I got confidence, mom, I've got confidence here.
Speaker 7: I mean it grows throughout the years.
Speaker 13: You know when when you're in high school, in middle school, you're you're pretty confident, and then you get to college and you're not quite as confident for a couple of years, and then you get some confidence back, and then you get to the NFL and maybe you lose some more confidence, and then it continues to grow, you know, the more you play in that particular.
Speaker 7: Structure of football.
Speaker 2: But who do you talk to when you have that like I don't even know if I know how to play this game or you have that bad game that who picks you up.
Speaker 13: I've always been very blessed with the people around me being very you know, calm, wise and smart. So I've had great friends, coaches, family, parents, my entire my entire life, so I've had I've always had people to to lean on in those hard moments.
Speaker 2: I would say, but when it doesn't work out at Ohio State, do you doubt yourself or how much do you doubt yourself?
Speaker 7: Yeah? One percent? You doubt yourself. You don't know.
Speaker 13: I didn't play for three years and it wasn't because I was hurt that wasn't a that wasn't a great feeling. I was working very hard and improving every single week and just never never put it all together there. And so I had, you know, my dad and both my brothers played collegeball, so I was able to talk to them about it, lean on them about their experiences and learning from them, and was able to graduate early and get out of there so I could go and play some football.
Speaker 2: Did you ever think about playing at Ohio University?
Speaker 7: I did, Yeah, I did.
Speaker 13: That was if I had gone there, I probably would have played both football and basketball.
Speaker 7: I was thinking about doing that.
Speaker 13: Uh, you know, Half State was really kind of one of my only, you know, power five, big, big time school offers, and if I didn't have one of those, I probably just would have stayed at OU and played both.
Speaker 2: Nil is pretty crazy. Now, you probably would have left earlier, I'm guessing at Ohio State with nil transfer portal. Yeah, I probably the transfer portal.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I probably would.
Speaker 13: Have transferred much earlier than than I did, but I had to graduate to to go and play.
Speaker 7: At the time, the transfer portal.
Speaker 13: Wasn'tto a thing when I was I think it became a thing the next year after I transferred, but I still think.
Speaker 7: You had to sit out a year.
Speaker 2: Seems like yours was the first guy to take advantage of nil. When you know Quinn goes there, I don't think he he left during his senior year in high school, gone it, went to Ohio State, start making money there. He's sort of the poster child of n I L.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I mean, you should take advantage of if you're going to be able to make seven figures and in college, you got to go and take advantage of that, whether you're if you're in high school and you're getting offered that, go wherever they're paying you the most.
Speaker 2: The reason why the Bengals didn't make the playoffs is we just didn't make play this down the stretch in some of these games.
Speaker 13: We had a lot of these games won or they were tight and we had to lead in the fourth quarter and we just weren't able to close it out for for a multitude of reasons. And you know, we had some bad luck too. That's part of the life in the NFL. Some years you have good luck, some years you have bad. We had pretty bad luck, but we had we had the opportunity to close out some games that.
Speaker 7: That we didn't.
Speaker 2: Take me back to Week two against the Chiefs.
Speaker 7: We played pretty well in that game.
Speaker 2: What about the Pennic interference call?
Speaker 7: You know everybody's bringing that one up this week.
Speaker 2: Well, because the Chiefs were in the super Bowl and everybody thinks they get favorable calls.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you had.
Speaker 2: You had a good vantage point there.
Speaker 13: If I was the quarterback of that offense, I would have been frustrated if we didn't get that pass interference call.
Speaker 7: I would say so.
Speaker 2: If you're Mahomes, you would have been upset if you didn't get that, even if it was in Cincinnati and not Kansas City.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't. I mean, it was a close. It was close in that moment.
Speaker 13: If I was in the second quarter, it's pass interference nine times out of ten in that moment. It's probably a fifty to fifty coin toss. But I don't blame them for that one.
Speaker 2: Okay. Do you think Kansas City gets favorable treatment?
Speaker 7: Everybody does. It just depends on the game.
Speaker 2: You get favorable treatment.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 13: You said everybody, Uh, well, some games you get some calls, some games you don't.
Speaker 7: That's how it goes.
Speaker 2: But you know, if I would have said your numbers. You got the receiving triple crown and you got the sack leader. It's almost impossible not make the playoffs if you have those numbers there.
Speaker 7: It's definitely strange. Definitely a strange year.
Speaker 2: And when you lost to New England, I said on that Monday, I said, that's going to come back and haunt you guys. Sorry to bump you down.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you guys have been really happy.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the career at LSU. You did great there.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when's the last time you've been back to Baton Rouge.
Speaker 13: I try to get back there once a year. Usually I have some kind of event at the at the spring game. I didn't make it last year, but the year before I did.
Speaker 2: What do people say when they see you here in New Orleans?
Speaker 7: They get excited.
Speaker 13: Uh, everybody's always very appreciative of the things that we did while we were here. The last time I was in New Orleans was for the National Championship, so that brings back some good memories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I'll bum you out again. You played the Eagles and they roughed you up as well. How often do you stare over the line of scrimmage? And you see Jayleen, you want to make sure you know where Jalen Carter is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they got some.
Speaker 13: They definitely have a lot of a lot of guys up front that can make your life tough.
Speaker 7: But you know, on our division, we play a lot of those guys.
Speaker 13: So it feels like every single week we're playing a Miles Garrett or a T. J. Watt or a Jalen Carter or Cam Hayward. So I think that's just life in the NFL.
Speaker 2: But who makes you a little more I don't want to say nervous, but a little more aware of where he is when you go to the line of scrimmage? Is there one player that stands out more than anybody else?
Speaker 13: Chris Jones Because there's not a lot of guys after Aaron Donald retired, there's not a ton of interior guys that can cause as much disruption as he can. And he's fast, he's athletic, he gets back there fast. They move them all around. They play him at end, they play him inside, they play him left right. He just kind of depends on what offensive lineman he wants to rush against.
Speaker 2: Who had a better defense. The Eagles are the Chiefs.
Speaker 13: Well, that's tough to say. I would say they're both difficult to go against. The Chiefs are always on third down, they're always tough. Their defensive coordinator is so good you never really know where the pressure is coming from.
Speaker 2: But explain that though you know something's happening, you go to the line of scrimmage, you're trying to figure out what it is and where's it coming from.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they'll put two guys up there, and then in the line of scrimmage, they'll have a linebacker either in the A gap or the B gap, and then another linebacker in the other B gap. And then they could bring the corner and that linebacker to the right, or they could bring the nickel and that linebacker to the left.
Speaker 7: And you kind of just have.
Speaker 13: To guess and feel there and see if they're gonna if you think they're gonna bail, if you think they're gonna come, because they could bring it both sides.
Speaker 2: Okay, what is the tell like you're looking for somebody if they're leaning a little bit or.
Speaker 7: Yeah, wait wait on a on a foot.
Speaker 13: Eyes communication a lot of times can give it away. But they, I would say, they make it the hardest. Take me to the line of scrimmage, you're gonna change the play.
Speaker 2: So you're there, you see the defense, and then you know, now you're gonna go okay, this is what I think.
Speaker 13: You have two plays when you go to line of scrimmage. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Usually on third down you do because you you know you have tendencies based on the down and distance.
Speaker 2: Give me a real audible, I'll give you.
Speaker 7: A shorter one.
Speaker 13: Uh trips right, eighteen straight can nineteen wash.
Speaker 2: So you're just gonna throw it up to Jamar Chase.
Speaker 7: That was a round. That was a run play. But oh, I can always just go easy easy. Jamar's over there, one on one.
Speaker 2: So easy easy is Jamar? Here it comes?
Speaker 7: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Okay. How often have you thought back to that final play of the Super Bowl. Not for a while.
Speaker 7: We brought it up.
Speaker 2: Joe Burrow won a Heisman Trophy joining us here. But I thought, if you if Aaron doesn't get you, Jamar scores.
Speaker 7: A touchdown, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 13: I would have had to wait a little bit longer because the safety was cheated off the hash a little bit to Jamar's side, because we had already thrown a go route early in the game in that same look to Jamar on the go on the other side, going the other way on that field, and so the safety was smart.
Speaker 7: He'd started cheating over that way. So I had to try to look him off.
Speaker 13: And you know, by the time I was gonna come back to it, didn't have didn't have that time.
Speaker 2: Aaron got on you quickly.
Speaker 7: He got on you quick. Yeah, he would do that.
Speaker 2: There's there's very few players like him. And when he came out of college, nobody really knew anything about Aaron Donald. You know, what's six feet tall.
Speaker 13: Not as big as you expect him to be, but boy was he strong and fast. He would get back there so fast.
Speaker 2: All right, let me hear the plug here. Let's see if you can give me your best Peyton Manning FedEx Air and Ground NFL Player of the Year awards to Let's hear how it.
Speaker 7: Sounds my Peyton Manning.
Speaker 2: No the way you you know, Peyton's always selling everything, so he uses you know, salesman here, Okay, well, promoting stuff here.
Speaker 4: I won.
Speaker 13: I won the Air and Ground Player of the Year in twenty twenty two, so that was exciting to have two of those.
Speaker 7: Would be fun.
Speaker 13: Now that they have non quarterbacks involved. I think it would be pretty cool for me and me and Jamar to win it together. So I think that would be a cool Do you have a vote? No, I don't get I don't get it.
Speaker 2: They should.
Speaker 13: It's not like a high It's not like the Heisman where the post winners get a vote.
Speaker 2: Who did you vote for for the Heisman? Who did I vote for?
Speaker 7: Travis Hunt? I voted for Travis Hunt?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, where's your Heisman?
Speaker 7: Don't worry about that.
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 7: I just had too many things going on, crazy people.
Speaker 2: You're right, okay.
Speaker 7: I don't need people knowing where I keep things.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, my bad. I know that you went through tough time. Yeah. Did you get things back to be determined? Okay? Yeah, we've seen that with a bunch of athletes around the country.
Speaker 7: Though, so crazy times out here.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah in my hometown. By the way, where's that Cincinnati? I didn't know that. Yeah that's cool. From what high school did you go to? Mason?
Speaker 7: Oh? Nice?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you saw the statue when.
Speaker 7: I think it's twenty feet tall. Now they keeping to it.
Speaker 2: Do you care who wins Super Bowl? Sunday.
Speaker 7: No, not really.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna watch?
Speaker 13: I'll watch the second half probably, Okay, I'll be flying back, okay before that.
Speaker 2: But you have a party.
Speaker 13: No, I won't have a party. Maybe you have somebody over for the second half. No, there's not a lot of people in Cincinnati right now.
Speaker 2: Well, you can make for can't you? Don't you have regular friend You're going to make friends? It's the uh are you sorry? You came on? You know? Do we need to try this again next year? Where?
Speaker 7: Oh I'm kind of some fun.
Speaker 6: I got up a.
Speaker 2: Little bit here. Come on, I'm made you uncomfortable in the pocket. And I was rooting for you to make the playoffs there I think everybody was the twenty second annual FedEx Air and Ground NFL Player of the Year Awards, and you are nominee. So they're going to announce this later tonight at NFL Honors.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it'll be great.
Speaker 2: All right, it's great, see you, Thanks for joining us, Thanks for having me. He's Joe Burrow.
Speaker 7: We'll take a break.
Speaker 2: Play of the Day is up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Wapp coming up. We're playing a game. I'm told it's called the Super Bowl Downside Game. Paulie is your host? Would you tell me what the rules are the Super Bowl Downside Game.
Speaker 11: We're skewing negative on Thursday, Dan shocker for us the person coach or player or I guess who if they had a really bad day on Sunday, it would stick with them the longest or the most fallout.
Speaker 2: Oh see, so the super Bowl Downside guy. Yeah. All of our in studio guests receive a fantastic gift bag items from Sons, Treger, Panini, King, Sawaiian and Rapid Radios. He's the Carolina Panthers quarterback, won a national championship at Alabama, won a Heisman, and he's joining us on behalf of Young nine Foundation. He is Bryce Young of the Carolina Panthers. Look at that big introduction there, big walk out. This is how we do it at a big TV production. There, Bryce, this is what it's all about. Thanks for joining us here.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: What advice would you give you twelve months ago?
Speaker 4: Just to be consistent obviously a lot of ups and downs.
Speaker 14: This year was a different road, different path, have a different journey for me, But be consistent on the field, off the field, be consistent my habits and beliefs, and just trust process.
Speaker 2: But a lot of people bailed on you, like you were too short in September this season, and then all of a sudden you seem to get taller in November, like like, but you didn't get taller, did you?
Speaker 4: I did not get taller.
Speaker 2: Okay, but people were bailing on you, and what was that feeling? Like that, you know, they didn't think you could be a starting quarterback.
Speaker 14: To be honest with you, I'm not someone who's super tapped into all the narratives, all the things going on.
Speaker 4: I try to control it. I can control focus on that.
Speaker 2: So but family members, yeah, like say something your buddies might say, Man, this guy killing you.
Speaker 14: I was blessed to have a I'm blessed to have a really good support system, good family, so I at least didn't get it into my face. But uh, for me, again, it was just trying to trying to be consistent no matter. That's I think that's kind of life, especially in this profession. You're you know, people view here one day, it'll be lower the next day.
Speaker 4: It comes with the territory.
Speaker 14: So it's not really something I put a lot of stocky in how I'm perceived or looked at.
Speaker 4: I just try to focus on the football.
Speaker 2: I don't want to call it your benching week, but you're I'll call it a bye week for you like you Okay, let's make it positive here. Okay, so it was a bye week. What did you learn watching?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I really I just tried to play the game from the sideline at that point.
Speaker 4: You know, it's different obviously, so you wear a headset.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, where.
Speaker 4: Heads sat here.
Speaker 14: The calls still locked in all week, so it's different than being back there. But I just tried to look at you know, still play the game, still try to put myself through it, think what I'll be doing, and think in that scenario, you get a little bit different viewing perspective. But I still try to get as much out of it as I could.
Speaker 2: We thought it was a good week, just because sometimes you need to, you know, kind of see things. And if you know somebody who's in there for you can tell you these things or you can see it in a different way here in a differentferent way. It just seems like it it changed you a little bit there or I don't mean we saw the results on the field, but I don't know what happened where it clicked. You saw the game differently, did the game slow down? Quarterbacks, talk about all of those things.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think it was just great being able to have some time in the system. You know, it wasn't obviously you don't get the same amount of reps, you don't get the same kind of sort of progress on the bench. But being able to come back in and just have more time with the system, you know, obviously new staff this year. You know, we had to didn't have a lot of time at first just to be able to play. Obviously, you study an the offseason, you get training camp in practice, but you know, there's part of owning it in the games too. So when I was able to come back, I was grateful for the opportunity just to be able to to grow in the system, to you know, to make it my own, to feel comfortable, and you know, kind of as the season progressing, I got those reps on the field, I just felt more and more comfortable within the system.
Speaker 2: What was your welcome to the NFL moment.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 14: Honestly, mine was actually a little i'd say, like a little opposite.
Speaker 4: Uh when I went to my my rookie year. Uh.
Speaker 14: It was actually it was at home a week two against the Saints. Obviously I was watching film. I know who's gonna be on a team, but like first player, I look over and I see Tyron Matthew over there, and like, for me, like just growing up, that was someone that I was like, like, that's the honey Badger, Like I watched that.
Speaker 4: I watched the l s U tape like.
Speaker 14: A million times, and I was just like for like the after like the first nap, so I was like, yo, like all right, let's lock back in.
Speaker 2: But I know he was there, but now you're seeing him there.
Speaker 14: Exactly, like I'm seeing him move and I'm like, I don't watched this so many times on on film. So that was that was like a really cool, really cool moment. And uh, yeah, it's still cool to to look across and and see people you know and you've watched growing up, and you know.
Speaker 2: You know, if you look and you see Jalen Carter on the other side, like that's not pleasant.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I had to do.
Speaker 4: I had to see that in college too, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that much two of you, Carter is two of you.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, I have a ton of respect for Yeah, for those guys, it's it's really cool just also from a physical standpoint, honestly for me, seeing guys like that and guys that are just like, it's cool being on that same field, even though, like you know, side stature obviously is different. It's like for me, I get like a bit of like a I don't know what it is. It's like a confidence or like excite me about it where it's like that's someone who's obviously super big and strong and someone who is this tall thist and like I'm here too, and this where I'm supposed like this is where I'm supposed to be.
Speaker 4: This is there's something about that.
Speaker 2: But who do you study? Because I would think Drew Brees is probably the comp for you. Uh, Russell was a bigger but I don't know who else you were compared to. And and if you even talk to Drew Brees about playing, yeah, I have.
Speaker 14: He's he's uh, he was gracious enough, especially in the pre draft process. We've had conversations. I have a that was someone that I've always had a ton of respect for watch. But honestly, for me, I don't really think about size. I've been like relatives of the people around me. I've been this for like my whole life, so I don't really know what it's like to be taller than everyone. But are you small? I mean, I don't know if that's something for me to answer.
Speaker 4: I I don't like.
Speaker 14: For me, I just know how to I've been myself, and I know how to play football the way I.
Speaker 4: Know how to play football.
Speaker 14: So I've I love the game, and I love watching people and seeing things they do, just from a quarterback standpoint.
Speaker 4: But I've never thought.
Speaker 14: Of it of you know, everyone like, yeah, I'm short for sure, like for our position.
Speaker 2: But I well, there was the picture of you walking across the parking lot with your book bag. It looks like it was first day of school. Did you see that photo? I did see that photo that ye, Now you gotta you gotta laugh at that a little bit.
Speaker 4: Uh, Yeah, No, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't mind at all. Like all that stuff is.
Speaker 14: There's like I've seen some like hilarious stuff about like my eyes.
Speaker 4: It's fine. Like, I don't again, I've I'm used to it. I embrace it. But I only know one way to play football, so.
Speaker 14: I've never had to adjust. I've never had to like, Okay, dang, this is way different now. This is just how I know how to play the game, how I know how to see it.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes we get caught up in a number of passes batted down at the line of scrimmage. But then you see guys who were six four six ' five, who lead the league and getting you know, Justin Herbert getting passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage. And I don't know if when you're with coach coach Saban College, they kind of create like windows for you to throw, whereas in the NFL maybe not as much. So I don't know, like advice that Coach Saban gave you that you take today, you always remind yourself of.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we've never talked about It's not really something you bring up or talk about.
Speaker 4: No matter.
Speaker 14: I've been in quarterback rooms with every you know, regardless of like be size, you don't ever bring up or talk about batted balls. Obviously, coach is giving a ton of great advice about a ton of great, a ton of things on and off the field.
Speaker 2: He used the expression these nuts.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I'm allowed.
Speaker 2: To you are. Josh Jacobs told me about it ago.
Speaker 4: It may come up, Coach.
Speaker 2: I asked coach about it too, though, Okay, what did he say?
Speaker 7: He said, yes, okay, yeah, all right for sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it comes up.
Speaker 6: It isn't a good move.
Speaker 14: That's how you know, Like if it's like before practice like that, that'll be the time, like during pre practice and.
Speaker 4: It it'll just be out the blue.
Speaker 14: Do it like a straight face and you're all right cool like we got today said I can't do his voice, but he's like very uh.
Speaker 2: Because he's like below checks like Bryce, how about these nuts?
Speaker 14: It's like every every time he does it, like you have a second of like wait, did he just all right cool? Like this means it should be a pretty good practice, Like it's just not messing up.
Speaker 2: He is? Bryce Young, Carolina Panthers quarterback Tell me about the Young nine Foundation that you're doing.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know that's something that I'm super grateful for me and my team and the foundation. You know, we we focus on mental health and and just making sure that we can.
Speaker 4: Spread, just just spread the.
Speaker 14: Importance of mental health and kind of change the narrative, especially especially for the youth. I'm I'm a big believer of the importance of mental health and whatever aspect and walk of life.
Speaker 4: You're in and just growing up.
Speaker 14: You know, it's not something that's talked about a lot, and just we have a mission just to try to destigmatize it and do all we can to help in especially for for the younger generation. I think the earlier that you're able to talk about things and you're able to to have those conversations and awareness.
Speaker 2: About affected you I mean to start this, is that you affected by this or somebody in your family.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Again, I think it's something that we all. We all have our own battles, our own struggles. You know, there's obviously different ranges, but I have a lot of family members that my my dam aunt, they're all in, uh, the mental health profession and oh okay, yeah, and where my grandfather was as well, So we're all It's something that I was less kind of just to grow up around and be aware of.
Speaker 4: And you know, I've definitely had my own personal ballet. We all doing it. Something that I feel like the older you are.
Speaker 14: If it's something you don't talk about it or something that you're not aware of it, it's harder to kind of change. But when you could get that on your mind earlier at a younger age, I think it can really help uh throughout life. And also right now, just in the community, the outseeing passing of fires is something that we we've gone and and helped with and it's.
Speaker 4: It's an ongoing struggle.
Speaker 14: There's a lot of people that are affected right now just in my community, and that's something also that we've kind of pivoted towards, towards helping and providing care for. So you know, that's that's kind of another part of our journey in the.
Speaker 2: Well you have that PTSD where you know, these people going through what they went through are still going through and they're going to go through this for maybe the rest of their lives in California. That what it meant to you. And then you know, I always say when people say, oh, you know, those people they can rebuild, and they say you can rebuild a house, you can't rebuild a home.
Speaker 14: And there's a lot of things I don't want to get into the ways of it, but there's a lot of things just community wise that you know, there's a lot of hoops to jump through. Obviously, dealing with the logistics of things that a lot of families you know, have to you know, they have to struggle with. Now I'm trying to keep the community together, and a lot of financial things that a lot of people are struggling with. So again, that's something that people are going to be dealing with and they're gonna have really big It's going to be big for years now.
Speaker 4: So just trying to have.
Speaker 14: Substantial support for the people and the victims of that is important.
Speaker 2: It's Bryce Young the Young nine Foundation. What did Patrick Mahomes say to you after you guys lost to them in Carolina?
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know that I had talked to him a few times before.
Speaker 4: He was just telling me that he was you know, he was happy for me that you know he was you know.
Speaker 2: Let me not that happy for like he was happy that you didn't meet him.
Speaker 14: Right, Yeah, No, he was just happy for you know, the way I was playing and you know, turning things around, and that he was always room for me, which you know, I that's someone I you know, obviously, it's it's my home someone that I may have the most respect for, has always been super super gracius, super nice the times I've talked to him.
Speaker 2: Did you trade jerseys? Uh?
Speaker 14: No, we didn't. Didn't didn't jersey swap. I'm bad at that though I'm a bad like I'm bad at ask.
Speaker 4: It never like crossed my mind. No, I just full.
Speaker 14: Transparency, Like I'm not really like a I don't really have I have people's jerseys.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I'm like a hang.
Speaker 14: Up people's jersey, Like I didn't grow up around a lot of sports memorabilitia.
Speaker 4: I guess a lot of sports.
Speaker 14: So it's like I value the relationships I have with people in the league, and like I'm I have a lot of really close friends, a lot of people I'm really close with, Like I value that more than I think of it like a jersey or a piece of memorability.
Speaker 4: So it just never it really crosses my mind.
Speaker 2: For it, whose jersey do you have that it might be surprised.
Speaker 4: Uh, you'd be surprised.
Speaker 2: No defensive player, right, No, I have some defensive place. You do, Yeah, a lot of the Eagles players.
Speaker 4: I don't have.
Speaker 14: Again, same thing. It just never crossed in my mind of like get a jersey. Like I've talked like he's I've talked him multiple times.
Speaker 4: He's really cool. Like so in my mind like I like, oh yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Cool, Like we bring out Honey Badger, Todd, why didn't you reach out to Honey Badger and just say Bryce is kind of shy, doesn't.
Speaker 7: We can do that.
Speaker 5: He seems a little reserved to c.
Speaker 2: But would you put Honey Badger's jersey up in your bedroom?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 4: I shut out my dog. He knows that's he knows that's my dog. I mean, there's no one's jersey I would put. I don't have any of my stuff up.
Speaker 2: I don't have anyone's is the Hetsman with you?
Speaker 14: I don't mind my parents have Okay, yeah, do they have it on?
Speaker 2: Like as soon as I walk in the house, I go, it's.
Speaker 4: Not in the No, I think it's in my dad's office.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, so it's that's a that's a bawl or move there by your dad.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'm not gonna He has a good little setup to where I if you zoom him, it's like in the.
Speaker 2: Like the Foundation Young and the Number nine Foundation, Bryce Young thanks for joining us the second year. A lot of people rooting for you, A lot of people rooting for you. We'll take a break. We're going to play a game. What is the game called Pauli the downside.
Speaker 10: The Super Bowl downside game.
Speaker 2: That'll be after this Dan Patrick Show