Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spoffer, joined as always by the suddenly clean shaven Wes Hodkowitz. We're coming to you here from our new studio at Lambeufield West. There's been a bit of a progression here because over our last two episodes we've gone from the full beard to the goatee and to now it's all gone. So you want to clue us all in on what's going on here?
Speaker 2: Would you get your mom from Mother's Day? What was the what was the gift at the Spotford Hoshole for mama?
Speaker 1: We got actually, we all, me and the kids went in together on this whole like coffee and chocolate. Oh you know, it's sort of like these these international things that are like paired up certain coffees with certain chocolates and stuff like that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so for my mother for Mother's Day, I give her a gift every year, and I obviously I don't just do this. I gave her, you know, a nice card and some other things, a candle, but I shave for Mother's Day. That's what I do. Now. I had a little fun last week because my mom. Here's the thing. My mom does not like my beard. This is well docked.
Speaker 1: Shock her.
Speaker 2: She's never liked it. It's gotten better. I've gotten more compliments than criticism over the years, but she's never been a big fan of it. So I told her last week I'm gonna shave. What I didn't tell her though, initially, was I shaved it into a go tea. I technically shaved, but it was a go tea. She actually didn't hate that. I think she actually kind of I have to survey her on this. I think she liked the go tea more than she liked the beard. But be that as it may. It was my mom's birthday on Saturday. Happy birthday, Mom, I love you. And then obviously Mother's Day on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she always gets the kind of gets messed with a little bit on having both of those falled in the same weekend. But be that as it may. I shave for my mother for Mother's Day. The beard will be back, though I am too lazy to shave on a day basis, so we will have the beer back.
Speaker 1: So okay, well we'll see, uh. I guess when when we finish up at the end of the off season program and then when we returned for the start of training camp.
Speaker 2: Beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then have the whole the whole thing, no holds barred.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, looking for you pulling that out though, ye talking about Wes' facial hair. All right, let's there you go.
Speaker 1: Yes, Because there was a pretty big piece of news that happened on Friday as we headed into Mother's Day weekend, and that was the Packers deciding to release veteran kicker Brandon McManus. So the roster is down to two kickers. Six round draft pick Tray Smack. Also Lucas have her sick. So the competition that was talked about when Smack was drafted, various UH coaches, assistant coaches and whatnot address that not gonna be what what was anticipated anymore.
Speaker 2: No, And as I I wrote in our Insider Inbox column for This Morning on Tuesday, I was on board with the idea of a kicking competition. I liked it. I felt like the competition was going to bring out the best and everybody there. But as it reflected upon this and marinated on what Green Bay did over the weekend, it makes a lot of sense and certainly there was a financial component to it. They've already paid out some money to Brandon McManus in the form of a roster bonus back in March. They did put the post June first designation on it with his release, so that means they spread out his caphit over this summer and also going into next year. So that's another aspect you have to consider. But the fact of the matter remains before because I know what fans reaction can be to these sort of things and how they can be about these things. I hope people can take a minute to appreciate and remember what Brandon McManus did for this team in twenty twenty four. I don't know if the Packers make the playoffs in twenty twenty four if Brandon McManus doesn't show up and really solve what had been a nagging kicking competition issue that they had throughout the summer and then obviously led to Braden Narvius and being the initial kicker going into the season. McManus righted that ship. Last year did not go as well. He was six of twelve from beyond forty yards and obviously had some more issues and things going on in the playoffs, be that as it made. The Packers made the move, they went up and got Trey Smack. They also have a pretty darn good kicker, and Lucas Haversick, who's done it at a high level, who's done it in the National Football League, also part of that competition. So it's not like, you know, Smack's gonna go with no competition. That is something I imagine We'll push both of those guys throughout the summer. But for McManus now, with this decision being made, it allows him to move on with his career, maybe find another opportunity, and the Packers to press forward with these two young kickers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see, you know, kind of I guess how this goes, because I think you and I both thought, if McManus is still here going into training camp, that this was really going to be a coin flip type of competition. Now I think it's fair to say, I mean, you know, Tray Smack is is the front runner. He's the guy the Packers invested a draft pick in. They potentially envision you're right, a couple of draft picks. They envision him potentially being you know, the next the next long term kicker here and we and we don't know, we don't know if it'll play out that way or not. But again, it kind of kind of goes back to what I said, you know, right after the draft, where this is, this is the fascinating part about this process. That fifteen picks before the Packers took tray Smack, they could have taken him then in the middle of the sixth round, and they didn't. They had a different priority. They really like Demani Jackson. They wanted to add more to the cornerback room that was that was where the thoughts were. But then as the end of the sixth round rolled around, and then the opportunity was there, And it's entirely possible that that opportunity wouldn't have been there if another team, maybe whatever, five picks after Demani Jackson gets picked, maybe tray Smack would have been drafted, and then we're not even having this conversation and we're talking about, you know, Brandon McManus still being the front runner to hold on to his job here. So it's it just it falls into that category if you just never know what direction things are going to go in this league, things can change on a dime, and uh, you know, we'll see where Brandon McManus ends up. We'll see what happens between Tray Smack and Lucas Haversick. We've seen we kind of got to see both both the best and the worst of Haversick during his when he was subbing for McManus last year, he makes the sixty one yard or longest field goal in franchise history by three yards. You know, Mason Crosby's fifty eight yard or was the longest until then makes a sixty one yarder out in Arizona to set a franchise record, but then in the windy conditions in the meadow lands, you know, couldn't make an extra point. So you know the and and Trace Mack is going to He's gonna have to navigate, you know, all of this stuff with the Green Bay weather and and all of that to see where his career goes. But you know, I mean, I hope. I think it'd be pretty cool and it'd be a heck of a story if if you know, Tray Smack is sort of the next Mason Crosby and is here for ten, twelve, fourteen years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I actually you had talked about it a little bit last week, and then I was thinking about it over the weekend too, because I go back to the two thousand and seven competition between Crosby and Dave Rayner, and Rayner was the one year incumbent and it went down to the wire. But in some cases, I think everybody could kind of agree that that was gonna be Mason's job. Ted Thompson had selected him in the sixth round. That's a big spot to take a kicker, and Mason was coming off a very prodigious college career at Colorado, and everybody knew of his leg strength, everybody knew of his accuracy. That was going to be an uphill battle for Rayner. So in this regard, and I don't want to compare one kicker to another. We'll see how Trey does. We've never even seen the guy kick live yet. But be that as it may, I just think sometimes you just don't want to overcook the beef. Wellington, right, this is the direction Green Bay wanted to go in the draft. They ultimately did settle on Smack. He's who they ended up with after they traded those two seventh round picks, and now he proceeds as the Packers kicker, and you still have an insurance policy there with Haversick. But you hope between that and just what Smack put on tape at Florida, the venues that he kicked in in the sec that he's going to be able to roll with the punches. He certainly has the confidence. And now for the Packers, I feel like in so many ways, with you know, this transition now from rich Basaci to Camacord, the changes they made with the kickoff return team already and bringing in a sky more who could potentially help you in both areas, this just feels like the turning of the page that needed to happen with special teams. It's a clean slate, and now Acord is going to be able to build this thing up and the way he wants to that unit to look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in some ways, you know, I don't know. I mean McManus literally had the worst game of his career in the playoffs in Chicago last year, and you know, regardless of what might have happened in September and October, say, if he wins the job and stays here, that a performance like that that ends a team season just it's never gonna go away in the in the mind of the fan base, right, So that's that's a tough that's a tough spot for That's a tough spot for anybody to be in.
Speaker 2: One other thing too, Mike, this isn't two thousand and four anymore. Right, We're seeing fewer and fewer of these kickers going into their forties. Teams just aren't willing to take that chance anymore. I don't know if we'll ever see another Morton Anderson or Gary Anderson or you know, John Carney, these guys that played well into their forties. McManus is still, by all accounts, if you go back and use that metric twenty years ago, a relatively young kicker at thirty five. Yeah, But with the direction this thing has gone, with few of those guys kicking past forty, it's weird that there's been this progression now with more teams skewing young. And I don't know if that goes back to guys make sixty yard field goals. I think they're being called upon to do that now. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's really where it is. Is that is that the expect the expectation is that from fifty five yards and in you know, those those kicks need to be made and you need to you need to be able or at least have the capability of, you know, hitting from between fifty five and sixty on a fairly regular basis now because because there are enough kickers out there that can do that. So if you don't have one that can do that, you're sort of playing uphill in the special teams game in the NFL right now, right So, I think that's why you know, there there are fewer of the of you know, the forty plus year old kickers and whatnot, because it's the it's the young guys in their twenties who you know, you get the ball across midfield to the plus forty yard line, that's a fifty eight yard field goal. The expectation is, you know, if the you know, if you're indoors, weather is good, good surface, all that kind of stuff, the expectation is that sixty to seventy percent of the time that kicks is going to be made. You know. Whereas as as I just said, the longest field goal in Packer's history before last year was fifty eight yards by Mason Crosby in his long and illustrious tenure here. So yeah, it's another part of the game that's changing.
Speaker 2: And you know, with respect to Mays too, I mean, it wasn't in accuracy that retired him out of this league, right, it was father time. And even though he made that fifty eight yarder down the stretch there right that it kind of dooinked it in and was able to get it, it became a questionab leg strength being able to hold up in these conditions. And when you see a guy like Smack again, we're only watching film, we're only watching his tape from the combine, but this ball just Jettison's off his foot. Yeah, I mean it is. It is remarkable. So when you hear Brian Goodekuns and Matt Lafleur discussed how they felt like he was the best kicker in this draft, it's not hyperbole. I mean, this guy has those type of credentials. Lancer Line had a six round grade on him from what I recall, I mean, people thought that this dude was going to be a draftable kicker. Packers were able to add into the fold.
Speaker 1: Well, a couple other things I want to get to, but we do need to pay some bills. So first we'll hear a quick word from our sponsor, Serious XM. NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five. Welcome back to Packers Unscripted Wes. Yesterday, and by yesterday, I mean Monday, on our website, you posted a story, kind of a traditional story you've been doing with regard to the Packers draft class. In this case, it's six things to know about the Packers draft class because there are only six guys in the class. I'll let you kind of walk us through some of those, but I think the the overarching theme of the story is that with every single one of these Packers draft class draft picks, excuse me, there's a there's an interesting connection to to the Packers franchise in one way or another with each of these guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's just the small world of the NFL, right, I mean, Trey Smack ultimately is the biggest example that the guy's playing lacrosse and it just so happens that his one of his teammates, well, his dad's Matt Stover, Right, And then Stover takes a look at him, works him out six eight times and tells him and his mom and everybody associated with him, this guy can kick in the league. And he wasn't even a kicker really at that point. That's just the way that these things work. Sometimes it's just so serendipitous. But the story that I probably enjoyed the most, and it was such a small one in terms of the grand scheme of things, but the fact that Chris McClellan, the Packers' third round pick defensive tackle out of Missoo, he hails from Tulsa, just like Josh Jacobs. And when you think of you know these areas, and certainly there's there's bigger hotbeds than others. Wisconsin typically, other than maybe some offensive lineman, hasn't been known as a big NFL hotbed. But when you have someone like McClellan, as he said and talked about with the reporters during rookie minni Caamp weekend, to have someone like Josh Jacobs to look up to their high schools. He went to two high schools, both of them McClellan did. Both of them were still about twenty minutes away from where where Jacobs went to high school. At McLaurin.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the fact that he had someone like that to point to when you're thinking about playing in the National Football League playing college, you know, Division one football, that is one thing. And then for that same individual to be a teammate and someone is one of the first dudes to reach out to you after your NFL team drafts you. You could just tell in his voice and his demeanor just what that meant to him, you know. And obviously they're going to get a chance to know each other a little bit better, obviously now being teammates and whatnot. But I just always enjoy those stories of when the young up and comer high school kid with aspirations was able to follow in the footsteps of one of the guys that he looked up to. Another story I always go back. I went to Bayport High School here in Swamaco, and alec Ingold, who now is with the Los Angeles Chargers, has played many years now in the NFL. He eventually went to Wisconsin. You know, it was kind of this diamond in the rough up here playing a position at fullback that you know, typically is not known for its longevity in the professional world, and one of the guys he looked up to as a kid coming up at Bayport was Dan Benning. And Dan Benning was a guy that was drafted, I believe played at Wisconsin, but definitely was drafted in the mid rounds by Tampa Bay and played a couple of years in the league. But what that meant to Aleck and how that kind of catapulted him in his own career, those are the fun stories you always talk about, especially this time of year. And yeah, there's in the six things. The reason I started doing that is because there were so many like interesting anecdotes associated with the draft picks that maybe won't work into a Packer's yearbook story or a feature round packers dot com, but you want to make sure that we bring some light to it because all these guys at the end of the they were chasing dreams and now suddenly they still have a long way to go, but you know they're right on the precipice of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And just to throw a little small world item into this whole thing. Back in my newspaper days that the Green Bay Presca's at I covered Dan Benning in the heavyweight high school wrestling state finals in Division one down in Madison at the Cole Center.
Speaker 2: So here's another question for you. So Alex's dad Pat would have been the coach then on?
Speaker 1: Yeses, yep.
Speaker 2: The world is so small, yes, so small, unbelievably so.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, here's another thing I want to throw at you. First. I'm going to toss out a programming note here because this week on Thursday, will be the release of the NFL schedule, So we need to spend the bulk of our Thursday working on getting all this stuff ready to announce put all of our content on the website on Thursday night, so we won't be able to have an episode of Ackers unscripted this Thursday. We will come back next Tuesday and talk all about the schedule, probably have you know, maybe even a little bit longer episode than normal to make up for it, because there will be lots to talk about with the schedule. But we are we are waiting for waiting to get all that information on Thursday and get it out to everybody. But I'll toss this to you as just a little bit of a preview. Is there anything with regard to the schedule. I mean, we know who the Packers' opponents are right home, and away. We've known that since the end of last season. Is there anything with the schedule that is sort of like a like a preference in your mind that you're when when we get our first look at the schedule, you're gonna hope to see this.
Speaker 2: It's it's really interesting you say that, because I've been thinking a lot about this in terms of what you want that first month of the season to look like when hey, maybe Micah Parsons and Tucker Craft are back, maybe not. Maybe you know, you don't know what their rep counts could look like, that sort of thing. Sure they are, so in a lot of worlds, you would hope that you see those divisional rivals a little bit later on. The only thing I don't want to see because I could see the NFL doing this just based on the rivalry, this budding rivalry between the Packers the Bears, the rhetoric with Ben Johnson. I just don't want to see them send Green Bay back to Chicago right away. And the main reason for that is, you guys waited until Week fourteen last year to have any Packers Bears games, So if they then front load Packers Bears early on, that would annoy me a little bit. If they want to bring that game to Lambeau, even if Michael Parsons isn't back or isn't one hundred percent yet, they want to do that in Week one or two, I'm good with it. But if because of how things ended in the wild card round, they decide, hey, we're going to send green Bay back to Chicago immediately, that would be the one thing that kind of ticks me off a little bit. What I think could be a really cool idea that I've been talking about with some people about this. We heard at the combine, I say, the owners meetings about Jeff Haffley saying, you know, it'd be great if Miami played green Bay right out of the gate, because he's obviously like, yeah, you know, maybe there's a chance.
Speaker 1: You'd rather not have to deal with Parsons.
Speaker 2: But I actually think that'd be a really cool way to to begin the season. The Packers have not had a lot of uncommon opponents to start the year. They did it with Jacksonville a number of years ago. But starting the season against an AFC opponent, in particularly Miami, I think the storylines would be there. I think it'd be really cool to hear Jeff Hafley and and mattle Flure kind of rap about each other.
Speaker 1: And the whole Elik Willis Willis, I think it'd be.
Speaker 2: Really fun out quarterback. I don't think the NFL thinks that deep about these things. I think they just I mean, we're getting Dallas and the New York Giants in an opraa of whatever opener again for the umpteenth time and the umpteenth years, even though the Giants haven't really been that competitive recently and Dallas didn't make the playoffs last year. So but they like the brands. I'm sure it'll be something with the NFC North.
Speaker 1: Right out of the gate, well, it looks like I mean, unless I'm missing something because of the because of the the sort of intentional leaks of certain primetime games in this and that. I mean, we've we've already you heard what the first Sunday night football game is going to be. We've heard what the first Monday night football game is going to be. Obviously, the Packers are not involved in the kickoff opener that's in Seattle, and then that also there's also the week one there's gonna be the primetime game in Australia. Between the Rams and the forty nine Ers. So it looks like, as I said, unless I'm missing something, it looks like the Packers will have either like a noon or a three twenty five game in week one, whether it's at my proces, yeah, whether it's at Lambefield or elsewhere. Here's here's the one thing. Here's the one thing. The first thing I'm going to look at, And this, I guess is partly like me getting older in all the years I've been doing this, because this is completely a selfish thing and has nothing to do with the Packers and competitiveness or whatever. But I'm gonna look at what time the game at Sofi Stadium in Los Angeles is because probably my least favorite games to cover are West Coast night games. Because now that game against the Rams at Sofi, the difference between that game being at three twenty five Central and being at seven thirty pm Central at night is the difference between you know, our plane getting back and landing at one in the morning or getting back and landing at four thirty or five in the morning. So that's purely like a selfish thing. But that being said, with the Rams having gone to the NFC Championship game last year, the Packers obviously perennial playoff contender, and the TV draw that they always are. It would not surprise me in the slightest if Packers against the Rams is in a primetime slot somewhere, whether it's a Thursday night game, a Sunday night, a Monday night, whatever that might be. So I'm probably not gonna get my wish there, but that's the first thing I'm gonna look at, because I don't like flights that land at four or five in the morning.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, so we will either get on a Friday morning, Monday morning, or Tuesday morning, a very cranky micro's soffer around the office. Yeah, it's really interesting though, because that's the only West coast well we could see the preseason. But I mean, that's the West coast trip right now for Green Bay. I think otherwise it's what I mean, the furthest west they would go would be Minnesota. I mean, like it might be yeah, maybe I don't know where it falls on the line is New Orleans more, But I mean the Packers don't have a ton of like lengthy road trips this year, but certainly LA is one of the top of the lists regardless.
Speaker 1: Of shuffle up, and it's and it's a it's a cool stadium out there, and I'm sure and I'm sure. I mean, we've been there once. I'm sure it would be cool to see it at night. The other time we were there, it was a it was a regular like late afternoon Central time game. I'm sure it would be really cool to see it at night. And uh, and I know, regardless of what the kickoff time is when the Packers are back at Sofi Stadium, there are gonna be plenty of Packers fans there. There certainly were a couple of years ago when when the Packers won that game out there. It's a trip to look forward to regardless. I'm just I'm just.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we're doing a pep rally too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Probably, I'd be surprised. Somewhere in downtown l So it's usually been Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need to provide a little context that comment I made about the Bears, if I may, Okay, the reason I said that for people who don't know the Packers schedule and opponents and situation. When Lambellfield inside it out, this is the game where Wisconsin's playing Notre Dame this year, so I would be surprised if green Bay has a Week one home opener the week after the Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Right I'm thinking. I'm thinking that the Packers are going to get a road game in a Week one because of the Wisconsin Notre Dame game on Labor Day weekend, and.
Speaker 2: Just again through this process of elimination that we're working through here, forty eight hours before the schedule gets released, I would just surmise that the most likely thing would be for green Bay to open against the NFC North. I think it would be too easy. I think it'd be lazy for the NFL to schedule Chicago right off the bat again, because while that's convenient, I would rather see, maybe, hey, week two, Chicago wants to come to Lambell, that's awesome, or even later in the season. But to do those two games like they did where everything was so close and bunched up at the end of last season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then and then and then you ended up having the playoff game. So essentially the Packers and Bears played each other three times in a span of whatever it was, five or six weeks or something like that.
Speaker 2: That's just not that I don't like that at all. I get it. You want to have division ring games the way the league's been scheduling, you want to have them early, you want to have them late. But it also leads to some really annoying kind of manifestations and this whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you there, I'm with you there. But we just got to wait now because at some point on Thursday, we're going to get all the schedule information. We're gonna get it all prepped for the website, all sorts of content as well as some special content that we're looking forward to release.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, I'm so pumped. Like again, we can't say too much. I don't want to get in trouble at all, but I used to dread schedule release week. I don't think I've ever been more excited than this year. I just I think what our digital and social media department cooked up is just brilliant. I think it's creative. I love watching the people outside these doors. They put our ugly mugs on this show, and our voices and I do not have a radio voice. They put us all out here on our platforms. There are so many amazing human beings that make this operation tick that are so much more talented than I am. And to see them all spread their wings in just the synergy, the unity, the communication, the teamwork between them, that's the best part of it. Doesn't matter what you do, right, I could be with my parents working at the you know, the paper mill, when you have a great team around you and being able to see them shine. I just I'm really, I'm really geeked for this. I think it's be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be a fun It's gonna be a fun day on Thursday. We hope that what everybody sees on Thursday night on the website is going to be fun and entertaining for them. But with that, we're gonna call it a rap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team everything with the schedule release on Thursday. As I said, no second episode of Unscripted this week, but we'll be back next week to talk all out the schedule and we have all of those details. So for Wes, I am Mike, thank you for tuning in. Everybody. We will see you next time.