Speaker 1: Okay, how is only films to be buried with? Hello, and welcome to Films to be buried with. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian and actor, a writer, a director of fungus, and I love films as of it. Once said one should learn even from one's enemies, the same way Russell Crowe learns how to forget what Hugh Jackman looks like every single time he sees him again in Nami's Arabla. So good point. It is odd that every week I invite a special guest over. I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant the most of them. Previous guests include Barry Jenkins, Sharon Stone, Kevin Smith, and even Bed Ambles. But this week it is the excellent award winning actor Womy Misaku. Get over to the patreoon Patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you get extra fifteen minutes of chat with Womy where we talk secrets. She tells me the best beginning and ending. You get the whole episode Unca and Dad free and does a video. Check it out over at patreon dot com Forward. So that's Brett Goldstein. So Wimi Masaku is a brilliant actor. She won a Bafta for her part in Dami Lola I Loved Boy. She's in the fifth series of Luther. She's in HBO's Lovecraft Country. She's in Loki. She's one another Bafta and a Biffer for her part in a film that I love his House. She's just brilliant. We had never met before. We recorded this a while back on Zoom and she was an absolute joy. I really think you're gonna love this one. So that is it for now. I do very much hope you enjoy episode two hundred and ninety nine of Films to be Buried With. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is I Brett Goldstein, and I am joined today by an actor, a woman of Troy, a honeymoon there or a Philamine and a Batman versus Superman, daughter of Justice, sister, a fantastic beast, leading Lady park a sweetness in the belly. It's not it's her house. She's called Jane, and she's Alice Darling. She's a bit low key and she's an award winner. Please welcome to the show. It's the wonderful, the amazing. She's here, She's here right now. This will be Missaku. Yeah, hi, hi, welcome to the show. Thanks for doing this. How are you? Thank you?
Speaker 2: I'm goods.
Speaker 1: How are you? Where in the world are you?
Speaker 2: I'm in La. I live in La now, I'm in La No way?
Speaker 1: What the what the fuck are we doing in the Zoom.
Speaker 2: I could have done this real life, to be honest, any excuse to not have to do like get dressed properly. I'm kind of happy. I do like the zoom world.
Speaker 1: Hello you.
Speaker 2: Unofficially since twenty seventeen, officially from twenty nineteen. I would say, what about you? How long have you lived here?
Speaker 1: Well, I's sort of half and half for a few years now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I do like our life. We've got really good friends and family nearby, and I feel very lucky because of that, because before that, before I met my husband, I definitely didn't like La. Now I feel like I stay in my little bubble. I like my neighborhood, and you know, like I don't. I'm just not like I find the hollywood ness of everything quite and it brings up a lot of anxiety. In me, so I just kind of stay out very rarely in like West Hollywood or Hollywood or anything like that. And so the stuff that I love about America also I find scary. On the flip side too, I do feel like there's like a revolutionary spirit and people really try and try and change things to what they believe in. It's just if it's the people that you don't believe in, it's kind of scary, do you know what I mean? Yeah, you get like a January, you get a January sixth, you get like a Roe versus Wade overturned, and it's kind of like whoa, anything can kind of happen. But then at the same time you get a Civil Rights Act, you get like a do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I never thought of it like that. Yeah, yeah, it is. The theory of America is anyone can do anything. And the problem is anyone can do anything.
Speaker 2: That's the problem, right, that's the problem. But it's better to I think it is better to at least try and do something rather than just stay in the state's quo. And even if you're miserable not try and change anything. I do think that's good. But yeah, for me. I just find it's so extreme here that I find myself like literally swinging through, like from one side of an anxiety to another side of an anxiety, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I do think I am very impressed whenever I work in America, and like when I'm working in like a studio and there's stuff they have, all this stuff, like it's a real impressive machine in terms of making stuff, like yeah, and the crews are great. Everyone is like it's on the upside. Everyone's seemingly at least in my experience, everyone's very good. Like everyone like gets done. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, it's that kind of I always say it's like a revolutionary spirit, but it is that kind of like let's get the thing that we want to get done done in whatever aspect. It's it's just a lot like there's no you know, I feel like there's the competition, like everyone can do everything really really well, and then they do it like they do like five different things really really well. But I think that's also comes from the anxiety of like having to you can't be okay, you can't be well off, you can't really be rich because if you get sick, like you you you have to pay like or like, you can't really rest on your morals because you got to pay property tax for the rest of your life, even if you've paid your mortgage. Do you know what I mean? Like, it's it's quite, it's intense. It's intense. So I I mean, I can't, like I said, I do like my life. I just find like when I look outside, I go O scary.
Speaker 1: This is why we're doing Okay, I just get it. Well me, I've I've forgotten to tell you something. And fuck, I should have told you this at the beginning because we had a problem with your headphones to I should have told you so. And then I'll just say it and then we'll sort of deal with it. But you've died. You're dead. Uh okay, yeah, it's okay, okay, yeah, all right, how did you die?
Speaker 2: Oh this is my dream. Died at like one hundred and twelve.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is old in.
Speaker 2: My bed, surrounded by my kids and my grandkids and great grandkids, and everyone got to say goodbye. No regrets. My husband died just like five minutes before, and everything's you know, good.
Speaker 1: Listen, a couple of questions. So you're you're in bed, with your husband right to bed, kids, grandkids, friends and family around your bed. Why yeah, you die of and why is everyone there?
Speaker 2: I died because it was everything was shutting off slowly and everything was like it's time. So I got to call everyone and tell them it's time. You just can you be here in the next couple of hours. I'll wait for you. We'll wait for you.
Speaker 1: And then when he died and you had five minutes, but I'm in that five minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh good question?
Speaker 1: Well you like fuck? I hope? I oh, oh sad?
Speaker 2: Oh like I tell my kids how great he was because I didn't know enough. I don't know, I.
Speaker 1: Will made me cry.
Speaker 2: I'd break for a message to see if he told told me to, if I needed to do anything quickly, that was anything that I needed to say, right, I don't know. I'm an old romantic.
Speaker 1: You know. I've talked about this before. This is the first time I've heard someone want their loved ones around them that it sounds nice. I've always been like, I don't want people watching me die like it seems so embarrassing, you know, I mean, oh, my loved ones around me and all that, Like it feels like a very you know, i'd like go to the woods like a cat.
Speaker 2: Oh. I like the idea of like everyone's feeling like they said and got to say goodbye, and I hate not being able to say goodbye and yeah that those things kind of haunt me when I feel like, Oh, I.
Speaker 1: Can ask you if that's your thing, which I totally understand. When you like moved to La properly, did you have like a goodbye party, Like do you feel like you left well? Or was it like I was then be gone for a bit, like how are you at the end of a long shoot like a rap party? You know what I mean, like when you have to say goodbye.
Speaker 2: Oh. I used to cry at the end of every job, and I think it was I think I did two weeks on one night in emergency in Scotland and I was crying and everyone was like, I haven't even known you that long, like I can't even remember your name. I had like five scenes and I was crying and I thought, Okay, this is a bit embarrassing stock now. So I don't really cry the end of jobs. I mean, sometimes it might come up, but I really it hits me. I try and hold it together until I get home. And then even but then by the time I get home, I'm less likely to cry because I'm like, oh, back to life. But every time I leave the UK, I have like a going away party every single time. I always have like all my girlfriends around and like.
Speaker 1: For a week.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's very sweet.
Speaker 1: Where's that all come from? Have you always been that way?
Speaker 2: Well? I'm Nigerian and we do love parties. Even people who are kind of shy are used to being like the center of attention at some point, whether it's their birthday or something like that. I don't know. We're quite We're quite good at celebrating. I love my birthday. I don't need a party on my birthday though, I just need it to be like marked, Like it needs to feel like this is my day. Even if we just like go for a walk and get an ice cream, It's my day and I love it. I just love it. It can be simple, but I just like to mark things. Take a lot of pictures now. I think the pandemic really brought that out of me, though, Take a lot of pictures at every like moment, every time. I pretty much every time I see someone, I'm like a picture, so that if there is another global pandemic that whole like on this day five years ago, that really got me through the pandemic. And now I get those regularly now that oh, like two years ago we were at the Ethiopian spot in a couple of well, yay, remember, So.
Speaker 1: You can't be you can't be shy. You're not allowed to be your rights, not to be everyone's center attention. You can't be. No one can be like I don't want it. I'm shy. Oh you can, you.
Speaker 2: Can be, but you kind of you can figure out a way to like hide within the party in a way. So like my sister's wedding, all of the bride's maids have to like dance in behind the bride or in front of the bride, whichever way they do, whatever you want to do. And like I am not the best dancer, and it fills me, it does fill me with anxiety, but I just know that, like if I don't go to the front of the line, then I'm okay. Or if I'm not at the back of the line, then I'm okay. But it's your sign of support. Like if you're like close to the family, you're wearing a certain like uniform that ashoy to be the same fabric everyone everyone who all the guests wear the same fabric. And if you're really close, you can't leave before the bride or groom leave, like even if you're like tired, even if like what, you can't leave until Yeah, So like there's that kind of you can still be shy and still like show your support and just be there, or wear the clothes or like stand in the middle of the party rather than in the middle of the line, so you're not like the leader of the party or you know what I mean. You can still be shy, but you just do it.
Speaker 1: It's right.
Speaker 2: But no, I'm not shy.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you another question that maybe I'm sure you've answered this a lot, so forgive me, and if you if you're bored of it, don't But like when did you know you wanted to be an actor? Like were you as a kid doing plays and shit in your house?
Speaker 2: I always loved to perform, Like I always used to I sang in a choir. I used to do dance class and like you know, like I said, I wasn't the best dancer. And in ballet they'd be like, do you want to stand at the back so you can watch everyone. I'd be like, no, i should stand closest to the teacher because I'm the worst. Like I had no being like in the front. But I never thought. I didn't think I had anything to do with acting, And I was never scared to ask questions. And I'd get really angry if, like people said that was a stupid question. I'd be like, no, you're stupid for saying it's a stupid question, because there's no such a thing as a stupid question. And so I was I didn't mind being upfront in a way, but I didn't know I wanted to be an actor. I think until college, really really yeah, I think you know. I did plays. I was in act too, which was a little drama class in Saint Marlburgh's Church in Manchester, and we my mom put me in there when on a Saturday because she needed time to clean the house not have kids around. So I went to this class. My other sister went there, and my other sister went there, and so my mom had like time on her own to do the house and not really not like it wasn't like self care time. It was definitely like getting stuff done. And we did a play called junk about these two teenagers who ran off to do heroin. It was very or not appropriate. But I was like twelve, and I was playing this social worker called Ronnie, and like the guy Martin Burgess, Marvin Burgess who wrote the book, Marvin Burgess, I think his name is, he came to see the plane. He came to see this tiny little production of this play that we had put up of his book that was like a load of twelve and thirteen year olds pretending to the few drugs. And then it was weird. And then then he said to me, he said to me after the show, like considering your twelve when you were playing a social worker in this world, like, I think he did a really good job, and you actually really reminded me of the real life funny And he said, I think you should take it seriously, and I was like, WHOA, okay, wow, I kind of took it seriously, like I did drama in school. But then didn't have the most supportive teacher at one point, maybe it was during my GCSEs, but I want to say, mister Wells, I was really supportive. And then I think with my GCSS, I didn't really love it. And then went to college and didn't pick it up. I did maths, further maths, economics, and chemistry because I thought it was going to be a maths professor. And then my mom did chemistry and I thought, well, that might be an easy A level. And then the economics, I don't know. I just thought I was another maths thing I dropped. I dropped chemistry because there was a boy that I fancied, and I figured if I dropped chemistry, I could pick up and I picked up drama. I'd be in his drama class. And you were like Michael Kaine. And then I had really great teachers, and when Moran and Rob Faulkner and they really encouraged me, and that I got serious anxiety insomnia. When I started getting into uniform maths and economics, I was like, I don't think I don't think I can do that. I don't know what I don't actually know what all this maths is for, what is standardyviation for? I don't know how it relates to the rest of the world. So then yeah, and then but the only place I found peace, the only place I could sleep, was in the drama studio. And I said to my sister I think I really want to do this. I don't know how though, and so one of I'm sure one of your questions would be, like, I watched Annie was my favorite film, and we googled everyone in Annie and Sarah. Albert Finney from Manchester went to Rada and that's how he even heard about dramas for and so that was that.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was that? Right? I love ferstally hilarious to say did chemistry because that seemed like an easy a level absolutely mad.
Speaker 2: Because my mom only because my mom was a chemist. So I was like, oh, I can get help.
Speaker 1: With this fair enough, you know what I mean. Secondly, twelve year old your work. I actually think it's probably a great social work. I think I would take it very seriously if the twelve year old was telling me, was you know, sort in my life out? And also my other question is the boy that you joined drama class, what happened to him? Did you? Did you get with him? Was he in the class?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in the class, became the best friends ofs and he's still acting.
Speaker 1: But you never you never got with him? Okay, well it was to get you to on the right exactly. Thirdly, fourth Lee but we'll probably get to it in the official questions. But I fucking love Annie. It's one of my favorite films. I was obsessed with it and Albert Finny and Annie all time performance I know.
Speaker 2: My favorite. I actually saw it for the first time on stage Christmas before last. I didn't know it was the stage play and again blown away. I don't think anyone can.
Speaker 1: Did you see it? No, I've not seen it on stage.
Speaker 2: You've got to. You've got to. But fless, I mean, it really is and I think but for me, the standout performance is Carol Bennette, Like that's it for me. I was like, she is just the epitome of a brilliant actress in that because you just believe her from does the matter she's singing, dancing, sober, drunk, scared, like having a crisis of a realizing. I mean, you just believe every single moment of her. And she's funny and she breaks your.
Speaker 1: Heart's scared and she's scary and like her vocal comedy, like when she says.
Speaker 2: Like she sounds like a rooster, like the fact that she's like I just she's just her vocal everything, her whole range is perfection.
Speaker 1: I mean all correct. What do you think happens when you die? Do you think there's enough to life? Yes?
Speaker 2: I do. I believe there is. I believe my ancestors are still very much with me guiding me. I believe in that their energy and their presence is still are still here. I believe that when people die, they are closer to you and death actually, because when you're like separated by countries and borders and oceans and politics, like, you can feel really far away. But I feel like I get a little comfort knowing that when they've passed that they're actually closer to me than when we were living separately. Like I feel like, and I think most of my family, you know, lived in Nigeria, and when my grandma passed, I've just I missed seeing her by four weeks. I like, my I landed in January and she passed in December, and I was so good in and heartbroken, but then at the same time, I was like, wow, actually, and she's closer to me now than all those years that we've spent continents apart. Yeah, I do. I believe in afterlife. I believe, and I believe in a like I just don't. I don't believe that anything's ever over.
Speaker 1: Fully, I don't this thing of your ancestors being there their energy if you can visualize it, it isn't like and I'm not saying this is a joke, it isn't like ghosts in the room. It's like an energy of a sort of feeling of their spirit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, don't you find it amazing that all of these people, I mean, I mean just thousands of people, there's a part of them still vibrating through you, living in you, like all the like a piece of their DNA is still within you. I don't know, I feel like it's and I don't know, you know, I do identify as a Christian. No, I don't know how keaven and how fits into that, because it's just something I've never really like try to get my head around, because I just think it's I think it's foolish to kind of get your head around the divine, like, because I think all you end up doing is bringing the divine down to your human understanding and levels, And I just think that is foolhardy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't even I don't try and question it or try and picture it. But I do believe that the energy and the hopes of your ancestors is still being yeah yeah continued and holding you.
Speaker 1: I do I also, I mean maybe this is just you know, having my nephew and niece and people in your family, but like sort of visually you see like my nephew looks like my dad like looks so like do you know what I mean? Like you just go, God, this is it is like a representation of the thing you're talking about. You're like, fuck, they're there many years apart and they're the same. It continues and yeah, yeah, well listen, as much as all of this is true, there is also a heaven. There's a heaven. There is, and you can see it as a sort of holiday somewhere you go. You don't have to stay, but you get to go there, and it's like the best, the best. It's an easy time. It's filled with your favorite thing. What's your favorite thing?
Speaker 2: My home? I don't know.
Speaker 1: It looks like you're home. It looks like exactly where you are, which is fucking beautiful. That means you're already in heaven wonderful and everyone's very excited to see you there, your husband, your children, everyone and anyone else who's in the house at the time. They're all very and your ancestors that everyone's there, and they're so happy to see you, and they're big fans and they want to talk to you about your life, but they want to talk about it through film, which is hard to for people so close to you. But they're like, let's try something new. And first thing they ask you is what is the first film you remember seeing me?
Speaker 2: I think it was The War of the Buttons. That was definitely the first film I saw in the movies in the cinema, The War of the Buttons? Yeah, how old do you do you think I remember seeing? One of my one what a memory I have really strongly is watching the Sound of Music in Nigeria. So I don't know it could have that could have been when I was like nine, or it could have been when I was three. I can't remember, but I definitely remember seeing that. I'm an old TV in Nigeria, the Sound of Music. But the first my first cinema experts experience was the was The War of the Buttons night before?
Speaker 1: And who who was that with? Was that with your sister?
Speaker 2: Uh huh? Yeah, my sisters and I think an uncle tooker and Uncle Tooker's many siblings? Do you have two older sisters? An uncle Tooker's And we were meant to see the Lion King, but he was running late and we were so excited, and then we got to the cinema and it was like it's all video started. So then they were like, you can watch the War of the Buttons, and that's what.
Speaker 1: We watched instead, and was it good?
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 1: Oh were you the whole town going, This isn't a fucking line king.
Speaker 2: Is it? It was good? Actually, you know in the pandemic I was watching. Me and my husband were like, let's just let's watch our favorite films from Amber with kids. And I watched it again and I was like, that is a good film. Two waring school kids and like, as part of the war is taste sealing. Have you seen it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They go into the woods, right and they have like contraptions and like, yeah, it's a scene kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's a scene where they like us, like showering down their winds, which are all these buttons that they've stolen, and it's all magical and they're dancing underneath these falling buttons.
Speaker 1: It's good. What is the film that scared you the most, and do you like being scared?
Speaker 2: No, I don't like being scared.
Speaker 1: His house, by the way, which you are in, is fucking brilliant. I think that was such a good film. I think it was really an excellent, like sort of perfect horror film, and that it's about something. It's sort of deep, it's really interesting, but it's also fucking scary. It's really scary. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. I love that script. I must say that was I feel like that's one of my favorite projects I've ever done, and I feel really really proud of that one. But I just thought that the twist, the writing, the moral, I feel like you forget it, you forget it. It's a horror because at the end you feel like this huge empathy and I'm not empathy, empathy sympathy like Kang of pain for everyone who's left their home as a as a refugee and an asylum seeker. And I just I feel like the horror is greater than horror, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, beautiful, But anyway, you don't but having made it, you're like, I don't hate these films.
Speaker 2: Don't mind it if it's like I'm in it, and there's there's something in there that's that I can you know, that I can hold on to and learn from and that I love. But for me as a kid, I mean, I don't like horror. I don't like any horror. Like I still haven't seen Vetle Juice because it scared me so much just the beginning of it. I have no idea if it's scary, but I was just like nope. I remember running up the stairs and like, I'm not seeing this, and but for me it was. I still have like quite anxting And I did actually watch this in the pandemic was the Golden Child because Annie was recorded on the same VHS as the Golden Child, And if I were a wound too far back, I would get that bit with the with the animal, that creature from Hell and and the blood and the thing. So that is like, that's kind of really that was really scary for me, and I didn't watch it until twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: That's great. What about crying? Are you a crier? What's the film that made me cry the most?
Speaker 2: Titanic? I am a crier. I love, I love, I love. Let any excuse to cry. I don't cry much. I don't think I cry much in real life, but.
Speaker 1: Say goodbye to somewhere, Yeah, I do say I do cry.
Speaker 2: I have to say have a bit of a crier. I'm not a happy crier though, Like if something happy happens, I'm not like, no that I find that weird. I'm like, yeah, but yeah, Titanic. I think I didn't know about The Titanic, maybe because I went into that film like completely like ignerent about what was going to happen, and I stobbed like I cried odd. I was at the Odeon in Manchester with my best friend from primary school and I sobbed and I couldn't get it together for a real, really long time, A really untied.
Speaker 1: If you didn't know what happened in this illic and two hours in the boat hits, you'd be like, what the fucked?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I knew. I think it was just like I watched it for like with.
Speaker 1: Fresh eyes, incredible, incredible. What about what is the film that you love? People don't like it. It's not critically acclaimed, but you love it unconditionally.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know about critically acclaimed or anything, but I can do I feel like anything from my childhood is going to feel amazing. Like, so one film I used to watch a whole lot when I was a kid was Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter Is Dead. I have no idea if that wasn't critically acclaimed, but I just it wasn't right. I just I can't imagine it. But I did love that a lot. I think I still love it.
Speaker 1: It's a great movie, and a great tale tells you the tone, yeah, the plot and then that's efficient in that title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I loved it.
Speaker 1: Have you watched it in the last ten years?
Speaker 2: No, this is the thing. I don't really watch things twice except for Annie, Like that's something I could watch every year, like probably every week. But I don't really watch things twice.
Speaker 1: So it was interesting.
Speaker 2: Again, I probably have seen Titanically again, but you know, it was all the vhss Like those are the things I would watch more than once, but like DVDs and definitely streaming, I don't watch things more than once, do you.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest. There's too much stuff and it's difficult to stand on top of everything. So that was one reason that don't. However, I have found myself. I do watch stuff again, particularly if I really love it. Seems to happen maybe once a year. It happened last year with Past Lives. When I see a film where I'm like, I think that's one of the greatest films I've ever seen, I will then go see it again to check and then it was, and then I might watch it like really, if I really really fall in love with the film, then yes I will. And there are things often on fucking plain journeys or something where I'll be like, I want to see something I haven't seen for a long time. That just sort of because sometimes you have the experience of not liking it as much, but other times it is lovely when you watch something quite a while later and you're like, fuck, this is even better. Well, it's so much to it.
Speaker 2: That's what happened today. I was like looking at I was looking at Parasite and I was like, this was and Shoplifters I was like, that was a great film and I need to I need to.
Speaker 1: Shoplifters was my film of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I feel like I watched it and went, oh. My husband and Auntie Marley were talking about it non stop and then I watched it on the plane and I was like, wow, that was brilliant. I wish I didn't watch it on the plane, And then I watched it when I got back again, but then I haven't watched it since, but I just and then I was like, oh, it's just having to remember the films that I really I spoke to someone about because I loved it that much in the moment. But I actually I was like, today, I need to watch these films. Like I was literally fun boarding, like I need to watch this today.
Speaker 1: That Shoplifters has the best hug in all of cinema. I think when she hugs the little girl when she sees heys cars and she says, this is what love is. Oh my god, are you kidding me? Come on the other hand, what is a film that you used to love that you have watched again recently and thought I don't like this anymore again if you've ever watched it at the film again?
Speaker 2: Well, it just happened to be on the telly the other day was Popeye? Yeah, Well, like it's terrible, like the.
Speaker 1: The it's very odd that film.
Speaker 2: It's very odd, very odd, and it's kind of like disturbing that what's the big guy called? I didn't watch it again.
Speaker 1: Bluetoe. I think it's Blueto.
Speaker 2: Olive Oil and Pluto. Anyway, I kind of came in at like a bit when Olive Oil is leaving the house and Pluto's like wraw, and I was like, this is terrible, and then she finds a baby and this is terrible. Like yeah, but I sustill love that. I used to watch it all the time.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting one. I'd be curious to see that again. I think I thought it was weird when I was little. I was like, this was weird. What is the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily the film is good, but because the experience you had around seeing the film will always make it special to you.
Speaker 2: Annie. Absolutely. I think if it wasn't for Annie, I wouldn't be an actor. I wouldn't know great acting, Like I wouldn't have been introduced to great acting. And yeah, it's my number one. Like I was a little kid in the theater two years ago, like I was, so, I was buzzing with excitement and I felt like I wanted to cry being able to see Annie live on stage, like it's it will forever be my number one. I don't get bored of it. I can't wait to show my daughter, like I cannot wait. I bought all the gear, like you'll see me in T shirts around LA with leaping lizards, and you know, like, I love it. It's my number one and it will always be.
Speaker 1: My number one. You know that. That is a film that was not critically acclaimed.
Speaker 2: It wasn't.
Speaker 1: I don't understand it. No, it got bad reviews. No, I've watched it so many times where I'm like, what, what did you miss? It's so clearly you're choking.
Speaker 2: That's why it wasn't. That wasn't the answer. That wasn't my answer for Blue Craneboy. That's interesting because.
Speaker 1: It's why I think it. The only thing I can think but even that makes no sense to me is John Houston directed it, and I think it was so different from anything he'd ever done that people were like, I don't know, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: He didn't win an Oscar. You're joking. I just assumed it would have won all the Oscars that year, like.
Speaker 1: A badly reviewed film. Wow, Albert Any should have won it. Sandy should have won. Carol him carry.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm so shocked. I'm so shocked. Wow, literally no awards. I'm lucky.
Speaker 1: How old were you when you first saw it?
Speaker 2: I used to watch it every single day after school from it, I want to say, from infant school, Like I used to watch every single day with little cartons of Long Life milk and I would drink the milk at the at the same time in the film. Throughout every every day after school, I would watch it. I think that's why I'm so tall and my family is so short, because I had did that every single day religiously. Yeah, I must have been must Yeah.
Speaker 1: What is the film that you must relate to?
Speaker 2: Again? This is an interesting one because I don't I can't think. But I feel like if I was to be on if my life, a portion of my life would have been on film, I feel like the closest thing would be Peck and Rae. You know, I feel like yeas in Peck and Rae. What's her? I mean just kind of like a rom calm. Like I said, I'm a romantic love love. I feel like the character of Yazz is very similar to me, like the optimist, the well maybe not the big roman romantic gestures but the big romantic gestures is something that I love.
Speaker 1: Forgive me for saying this, Do you mean Ryan.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, sorry, Riley, Yes, but yeah, I feel like And also I feel like if if there was a biopic of my life, I feel like Vivian Apara could absolutely plain me too. Like I feel like she just seems like that character. Yeah, has felt like my personality on in a film. But I don't know if I Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's great, that's a good I can buy that, and that's a lovely thing.
Speaker 2: I can rhyme.
Speaker 1: I saw the the guy from it in a gym once and I sort of bothered him. He was very nice, but I was like, and he was like ship. He was in the middle of the thing. I thought I left him. Here we go. What's the sexiest film you've ever seen? I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: I want to say Mermaids. I want to say Mermaids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can say yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like I don't know if I don't know if it's the sexiest film. But I'm trying to think of the things that the thing, the three should I tell you the three things that popped into my mind.
Speaker 1: Please, That's what I'm here for.
Speaker 2: Mermaids, dirty Dancing, Yeah, brilliant. And then this was more like a I don't, I can't. I really can't remember the film and I think it was dark. So I feel a bit anxious saying this one.
Speaker 1: But Red Road, you know what, you might be the first person to say this on the podcast, but you're not the first. You're not the first woman I have met who has said that. I've heard that quite a few times and I think it is interesting and I think it probably is whatever, But yeah, I don't know what.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it since my I definitely was I remember where I watched it with my little Love Film subscription and my third year rada. I haven't seen it since, but that that kept coming too my mind. I was like, I remember thinking that was pretty sexy.
Speaker 1: Well that might be. You know, there's a subcategory troubling bone is worrying why I don't fand arising you weren't sure you should? Is it read right?
Speaker 2: I think I think that's the one. I can't remember the story, though, but I remember That's why I feel really like, I feel like it's not a good sexy. I think it's a bad sexy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well I think it's a problem a problematics.
Speaker 2: Problematic sexy yeah, oh yeah, and now remembering a scene.
Speaker 1: But I think it is. I think I'm scared. I think it is.
Speaker 2: I's scared. I feel like I need to watch again before I commit to that one, because I feel like I might be saying something really bad about myself.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, please all of that. No, that's an excellent correct answer for worrying wido. I think, Okay, that's what it's for. This is a safe place, is it?
Speaker 2: Is it a safe place? The Internet?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It goes out in the world, doesn't.
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: About? What? Is it? Objectively? Objectively the greatest film of all time? Objectively?
Speaker 2: So I don't know what you mean by objectively?
Speaker 1: What I mean is this the pinnacle of cinema. It might not be your favorite, you might want to watch it every day. But if I said to you, what is like the film that sort of represents the very best of film? Right, what were you going to say? Because it sounds like you're backing out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was gonna say, like one of my favorite films. And because I'm more of a theater girl, like I watch more theater than I do film and stays with me way more than film. And I would have said Romeo and Juliet the Basilamon just because I felt like it had everything that I love. It had the music and had the great acting, it had the visually, and then also it was Shakespeare too. Not that I'm like, oh, I love Shakespeare all the time, but I just really love that film. But then I also am feeling I'm a hot tin roof and I can't really remember why, but I just feel like Paul Newman everything. I just feel like so drawn to him. But I don't know if it's a great film or like all encompassing objectively, I don't know. You.
Speaker 1: I think Roman and Jult is a legit answer to that question. There's an awful lot of things that film. Yeah, I think that's a great answer and the effect it had and yeah, yeah, you can have that. Okay, I'm going to give you twenty points.
Speaker 2: Thanks twenty panks for.
Speaker 1: Finally making it onto the schoolboard. What started giving points quite late in the day. It's a new thing. What is the film that you could or have watched the most over and over again? And is it Anne? And if it's not anywhere else.
Speaker 2: It's just Annie.
Speaker 1: It's just nothing comes close, nothing comes. Would you like to play Miss Hannigo?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Like, Actually, I can't believe that's not my immediate answer when people ask me that question because I don't know why. I don't know why. I've never said that before and I've never said it out loud, but that would be the dream role. That would be the dream.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I'd like to play Daddy Warbucks. We should do it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Right, we need to We need to get to it. When you start rehearsing and I've got to shave my head. Oh my god. What is I don't like to be negative. I don't think you do. So we'll do it quick. What's the worst film you've ever seen?
Speaker 2: Okay, let me just say I don't really watch film. I don't like film. I'm not watching it. So there's lots of films that I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, you stop, you walk out.
Speaker 2: I don't, I don't. I just don't watch it. And I would say the worst film that I have had to complete, because we were all watching it and it was Christmas and it was at someone's house. I would say it was step Brothers. But I'm like that about any of those kind of like super childish grown men films.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I really can't stand them. I can't stand stupid, slapstick childish grown men.
Speaker 1: Can't stand it. Is that because you've dealt with these people in real life.
Speaker 2: I just don't find it funny. It's especially like this is not manny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting, that's interesting. They're very popular, very popular film. Lot of people love it, love it. Yeah, but I can understand your frustration.
Speaker 2: I can't remember exactly what happens again, and I keep saying this, but I just feel like, I mean, I just wouldn't just silly, right, it's silly, silly. Yeah, this is very silly, silly. And I don't feel like that about like, you know, like Ridesmaids or a Girl's Trip, like those kind of silly ones with women. I just don't I find them funny. I just feel like it's so dumb the other way.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe the thing, maybe there's something in that in the Bridesmaids and Girls Trip, it's it's sort of more seems more transgressive because we haven't seen a lot of that girls being silly, whereas men it's like Yeah, men are idiots all the time. Watched more of them be idiots?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Maybe maybe?
Speaker 1: What is the film that made you laugh the most? For me?
Speaker 2: Oh? Do you know what film I loved and I really enjoyed was Sick of Myself. I don't know if it's the film I laughed the most sick of myself? It was the Was it Dutch? It was last year? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I've seen it. I seen it's.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty two Norwegian Swedish. I thought that was brilliant.
Speaker 1: Oh, I haven't seen I haven't seen it. I thought that what's the idea of it?
Speaker 2: So this girl and this guy, he's an artist and everyone loves him, and she's like in his shadow, but she's an artist too, and it's kind of this about like in a way, so social media and needing to be seen and wanting to be seen that she will make herself basically sit in order to get like the attention the pity did and it just goes. I mean, and the picture what do you call it? The poster? I wait, don't watch, but it's just brilliant, Like it's her with all bandage and she's got a cigarette and she's looking at home. She like does not care that she's fully bandaged up. She's so interested in what is happening on social media. And I just thought it was really clever. I thought I thought it was funny. I thought definitely laughed out loud. But I was also like, wow, this is isn't this crazy world that we live in right now? Kind of crazy where you will see like influencers going, oh my god.
Speaker 3: A botched up surgery. You're like, what, what aren't you aren't you aren't you worried? Aren't you sad? Aren't you angry?
Speaker 2: Aren't you? Like I just I didn't think that was I didn't think this film was quite funny. In handling that, that's great, I would say Bridesmaids as well. I do think that was a really good funny film.
Speaker 1: It's a fucking excellent film.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm not very good at giving one answer because I can't really remember things.
Speaker 1: Very No, I like it. I think these are all excellent answers. Your your greatest film, man, So I've got you twenty points if you remember. I think you've been excellent. Well me, you have been wonderful and the delight and I appreciate you being so open and telling me all that stuff. It's really fascinating. However, when you were one hundred and twelve years old and you were in your bed and you were aware that all your all your organs were shutting down, and you called everyone you knew, which, as we know, is quite a lot of people, because you can't say no to people and you have a huge amount of friends. So fucking room is packed. There's no air in this room. No wonder you were dying anyway. Your husband, loving loving husband's lying next to you. He dies, and you're like, I reckon, I've got five minutes on the clock here, and you tell everyone there about your husband, what a lovely manuals And there's so many people in the room that some people are like, what's she saying? Because your voice quite quiet, and so you're having to repeat. You're like, and you're like, I don't many repeat, I've only got five minutes. And someone goes, but sorry, no, I don't want to. It's just there's so many of us in here. And she was whispering, I didn't hear what you said to you might and you go, yeah, I fine, Okay. What I was saying is he's such a wonderful man. And then someone at the back says she's already said this, and then you're like, no, I'm saying this because she didn't hear. And then your guy, okay, okay, is everyone listened to? Everyone quiet? Just listen. He's a wonderful man, and I love you and I love you all very much. And she goes, yeah, that's I heard that, and forget it. And then you say, just let me say I love you very much. I love you, and then your lung shut down, spleen shuts down, and your heart shuts down, and your brain shuts down, and then your your calf shut down, and your spirit leaves you and joins the ancestors with everyone in the room, and everyone, even though they were standing right by your bed, now feels even closer to you. Anyway, I'm walking by over a coffin, you know what I'm like, And I'm like, what's all of those people? I'm looking up at this window. There's so many people in there. What's going on? They come up and excuse me, and I'm bringing the coffee, and I go, what's kind of And they go, oh, these two just just died. And they go, oh god, what happened to go. I didn't one of the guys. I didn't really. She was saying something and someone she said she loves you, and she loves you. It was actually very moving. Oh sorry, well there's just you were bumbling. I didn't hear. Anyway, I go, well, can you help me. I'll get her in the coffin, and we get you in a coffin. But there's more of a nice expectance it. So I'm like, can you has anyone got some tools people bring, like fucking hamm'ch smashing you up, trying to get you into this coffin. Anyway, Yeah, we have to because we have to get you in the coffin. But everyone's lovingly especially and then we get you in the coffin, it's absolutely jammed in there, and there's only enough room in this coffin for me to slide one DVD into the side for you to take across to the other side. In fact, this time, it's a very unusual thing, just because I know the only way you're going to watch films over and over again. It's actually a VHS and it goes in with you to the other side, and on the other side it's movie night every night. What film are you taking to show people in your house which is heaven where you died and you come straight back. What film are you taking to show all your loved ones in your house when it is your movie night women.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say it.
Speaker 1: You can say it. You have to say it.
Speaker 2: I have to say it.
Speaker 1: I'll be devastated if you don't.
Speaker 2: Say it, Sanny.
Speaker 1: And everyone's like, you have showed it.
Speaker 2: Watch it every year.
Speaker 1: Every daylight woman. Is there anything you would like to tell people to look out for, to watch, to listen to coming up with you in in the future other than Annie with Me.
Speaker 2: My my show Passenger is coming out on ITV and britt Box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's My Passenger Passenger.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's about a small town called chatter Vale in the North and it's a bit of a like it's super normal, ultra normal, so normal that to normal that it's unnatural and so it's not it's not like sci fi. It's unnatural. And my character is like, something is up with this town and no one is listening to me. And it's about figuring out there's like how to It's about fears. It's about facing your fears. Figuring. It's about family, it's about bad relationships, it's about, yeah, what people do when they're scared, what a town does when they're scared, when no one wants to talk about what's really going on in front of them, Push it under the carpet.
Speaker 1: Interesting, All right, well everyone should watch it? Will me? What pleasure? Thank you for doing this, haven't we had? Yes, thank you for putting me in your diary this week. I appreciate it not at all. All right, well, I guess we should wrap this up. And I always say to you, I wish you a wonderful death, and thank you. Good day to you. So that was episode two hundred and ninety nine. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forwards. Last Brett Goldstein for the extra fifty minutes of Chat Secrets a video with Womy. Get over to Apple Podcast, give us a five star rating and write about the film that means the most to you and why it's a lovely thing to read and it helps numbers, etc. And is really appreciated by my neighbor more and she really does love reading them. Thank you so much to Womy for giving me her time. Remember to watch all of her works. She's fucking brilliant. Thank you to Scoopy's Pip and the Distraction Pieces Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it. Takes to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics at least allow them for the photos. Come and join me next week for episode three hundred and Yes there's a big one in store. No telling you what it is, coming soon. I hope you're all well. Thank you all for listening. I hope everything is good. But that is it for now. In the meantime, have a lovely week and please be excellent to each others.
Speaker 2: Back back by bus backs A Saxon Brothers, A sick brother bass backs back back backs by bus back last back back