Speaker 1: Hi, guys, come on in Hio. Where are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good, Larry, Little Susie Peters, how Larry John Sorry, we have to hug. Yeah. Good Singulary, Good, Singulary. Welcome to a special bonus episode of Monster BTK. This is a sit down interview I did with my former k TV colleague Larry Hadiberg last summer. I caught up with Larry at his home in Wichitah. He and I reflect on our work together covering the BTK story all these years later.
Speaker 3: So what does it feel like for both you to have such a major role in the BTK story.
Speaker 2: We felt like we needed to be part of the process of catching him, and we knew every time we would say something on TV or we would do a story, which was ever all day, but we knew every time we would react to his communications was the chance for him to communicate again. And all we were trying to do is the media, in addition to informing the public, was to try and get communication out of him. And I know there was one instance with you, Larry, where you said something directly to him on the air.
Speaker 1: Yes, I decided that we should communicate with him because my feeling was if he's communicating with us, He's not killing So I went on the air and said BTK if you're listening, and then gave a little spiel about that, indicating that the PD wanted to keep the communication going, and then we got some feedback. I do remember one of the postcards that we got talked about you and Jeff having a cold on the air, and that was I think after I had gone on the air and asked for the communications to continue.
Speaker 2: BTK from the get go made the media and in particular CAKETV, part.
Speaker 1: Of the story, and I think for a journalist that's a terrible place to be. Is part of the story, but there was no way to get out of it because he enjoyed communicating with Cake TV. CAKETV was his favorite station. He had watched it since he was a child. He had been out there when we brought in Renten ten one time, when ABC came out. He had been out there for other children's shows. So he was very much a part of the Cake family. He knew all of us. He watched it every night. He still watches it to this day, and it's a very odd feeling to go to work every day and know that you have to feed the national media, you have to feed the local media, because many times Susan and I would either be on a morning show or an evening show like Larry King Live back in the day, and you're serving two masters. And in journalism there is no book written about how you do this. You know, we were writing the book on how you cover BTK when you are part of the story, and that was very difficult for me.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you, but it made me feel a little bit gratified that we had a small part in finally getting the sky well.
Speaker 1: I think if it wasn't for the media, the communications might have stopped. The very difficult part for me was working with the police department. They did a great job over the thirty years. It was a tough case. But when we would get a postcard, obviously the police department would want a copy of that postcard. Well, we would give them the original and we would have a copy. But it became many times a little difficult because the police department, i think, sometimes resented us because we were part of the story and they didn't want the media to be part of the story. We couldn't help it, we were, and so here we are trying to do our job while the police department is trying to do theirs. I had one thing happen in which we got a postcard that indicated there was a package or another message at one of the It was like a low's I forget what It wasan home depot, that's right. So I went out to Home Depot and we'd call the detectives to come out to the station to get it. I arrived there before they did. I went in talked to the manager. I said, did you get a package?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Did you get a message from anyone that was unusual? And I never used the term BTK? And he said no. I said, okay. Later on in that day I get a call from the district attorney indicating that they would like to see me, the general man, manager, the news director, and our attorney in her office eight am the next morning. And when we got to her office, she said, you arrived before the detectives And I said, well, that's a matter of physics. Our station is just closer. She said, but you got there ahead of them, and I said, I walked in to home Depot like any other customer would do. I asked a couple of questions. He didn't have any answers. I left, and she said, we're considering charging you with a felony interfering with a federal investigation. And I said, how did I interfere? Tell me how I interfered? I just walked in the store, asked the manager a couple of questions, and left. And there wasn't a great answer for that, and our attorney was already going crazy. But I think what was happening was the police department was feeling pressure from the media and didn't like someone, as it appeared, showing up and interfering with their investigation. So I took that as a warnt. But that's the only time that I ever got crossways with them.
Speaker 2: Like you say, our goal was the same, but we had two goals, and that was informing the public and catching BTK. Their only mission was to catch BTK, So sometimes it crossed ways. And sometimes the investigators totally loved us and used us, which we had no problem with. But sometimes we crossed the line because we had another job. And there were several times when I was am I walking the line all right, and police would say no, in so many words, you're not walking the line. All right, go back to your journalism. And so it was a very very tough thing. There was one time when I called Detective John Spear during the ten o'clock news because the guy who they thought was BTK that they arrested, and said, who is this guy that you arrested? DA. Of course he couldn't tell me, And the next day I got a call from him and he said, don't ever call me direct again. That kind of thing. So the problem was we wanted to inform the public and still get the scoop, so to speak. We never wanted to ruin any investigation. We did follow the police department's rules as much as we could because we wanted to catch him as much as they did, because we were in fear for our lives.
Speaker 1: And a really strange thing was the day that I had two detectives who I knew, both of them show up in the front lobby of KKETV. They said, Larry, is there someone where we can talk private? So I took him up into the conference room and they said, Larry, we need your DNA and I said why do you need my DNA? And he says, well, we're getting tips to the BTK hotline. That you're BTK. And I said, why are they saying I'm BTK? And they said, well, when you talk about it on television, you seem to know a lot about it. You've been to the crime scenes, you've followed it since nineteen seventy four, and what we're trying to do is to rule you out. And I said, okay, let's do it. So they swabbed me and I said, how will I know for the results? And they said, well, if you don't see a swat team coming into Cake, you'll know that you passed. I said, okay.
Speaker 2: They swabbed some two hundred people. I knew two or three people were swabed. Not only Larry Hadiberg, the godfather of my second child, was swabbed as well, because he went to Wichita State the same time as BTK. That's what was so weird about all this. We knew BTK was the guy next door. What if he really was the guy next door? What if he really was Yeah, what if he really was the godfather of my child? You know? What if he really was an anchor person? I mean, nobody knew at that particular point in time. That was also frightening. Of course, I knew it wasn't Larry.
Speaker 1: But thank you. But at the time, we're not talking about each other's feelings. We're just trying to survive the day to get the story on the air. She's working her sources, I'm working my sources. I remember one day we showed up at btk's attorney's office together.
Speaker 2: At the same time.
Speaker 1: I didn't know she was going to be there. She didn't know I was going to be there, you know. So we're all trying to do our job, but we're not talking to each other about feelings. What we're talking about is trying to get the story and trying to inform the public. And that's what is so weird. Just us talking about it now is probably the first time we have ever talked about feelings about it, because the rest of the time it was just the job. We're doing the job and we're trying to inform the public to the best way that we can. And Susan and I weren't working together. She was working on her stories. I was working on my stories. But in reality, we were working together because of this thing of trying to inform the public. So it was a different time.
Speaker 2: Larry's one hundred percent right. We didn't talk about our feelings. Larry had no idea how scared I was. No one had any idea how scared I was. We didn't talk about things like that. Larry and I never talked about her anyone in the newsroom. I'm afraid we hate this guy. No feelings were talked about at all.
Speaker 1: Do you remember one night when we were walking out of Cake. It was quarter eleven or so, and we get just past the concrete stepping into the thing, and a bicyclist is down at the end of our driveway and he comes at us seemed like one hundred miles an hour, and I thought we're in trouble. Thought I didn't know who that guy was. And he's coming at us a one hundred miles an hour on that bicycle pulls up in front of us, and I thought we're going to shot stab something here something. And he was just a viewer. But I felt fair at that point, and I'm sure you did.
Speaker 2: I was glad you were with me. I had tremendous fear. BTK knew where we were every single day at ten o'clock and ten thirty and six o'clock and six thirty after we got the postcard that said, I hope Susan's and Jeff's cold gets better. From that day on, I had a reporter or a photographer follow me all the way home because he knows where we are. He was watching us every night.
Speaker 1: In this case, I mean, we really care about each other, and we've anchored together and done so many projects over the course of time that I think we really understand each other. And as I say, we don't agree on everything, but that's okay. You know, that's okay. We are completely and totally different personalities, but Susan is the finest co anchor slash anchor who I've ever worked with in my career, and we understood each other. We don't always agree on everything, but I love her to death and always will because she is the most professional anchor that I have ever had the opportunity to be with. And when we were anchoring together, if I got into trouble, she could take over, and she knew instantly if she got into trouble, I took over and we saved each other that way, and we did that without talking. We just instinctively could respond to each other's feelings, and that's rare that is rare in television. I know in many stations the co ankers don't like each other. You know that happens a lot. I am so thankful that during the BTK years she was by my side. It made a huge difference, huge difference.
Speaker 2: It made a huge difference that he was by my side. Larry was very protective of me when he walked me out to my car. I knew BTK would never harm Larry had to work. They had like a little relationship from the seventies. I knew BTK would never harmle Larry Howdeberg. So I felt very safe with Larry walking me out to the car because I knew BTK would never do anything to Larry.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that, Yeah, no, I didn't know that. And we knew that he basically attacked mostly women, with exception of the Atero family. We didn't know that. I just knew that this was an odd time in my journalism history, and the Susan and I were in it together, and Jeff and several of the other reporters who worked very hard on this, and we had to cover each other's butts in this thing because we didn't know where it was going. We didn't know how it was going to end. And you know, when we do interviews like this, we all have the benefit of hindsight. But when you're living with the BTK story before he's caught, you have no idea who this guy is, You have no idea where the story's going, you have no idea of the outcome. So it's a really different time. And to be able to talk about it in hindsight is one thing, but when you're living it, as I say, Sudan and I never had these conversations. We were just scrambling to get the story on the air in hopes to serve the viewer every night.
Speaker 2: This is the first time I've realized that. I think it says that we had to put all of our feelings aside, as Larry said, all of our fears, all of our sadness, all of our frustration, all of our anger, like everybody had, we had to put all that aside and do our job. It was really good with Larry and I because Larry chased the whole BTK angle, the whole the criminal, and I chased the victim angle, and so we were all working on different things. Larry was working on reaction from BTK, and I was working on let's find these victims' families and tell the real story of these victims that are still out there. And so yeah, we each had our own little thing that we were working on and that made it successful.
Speaker 1: And that was Susan's specialty working with those family members, and she did an absolute great job with it and really got some incredible insight from the family members. And I think it's important to remember the family because you know, what happened to us is nothing. What happened to the families is everything. Those families' lives have been changed forever in so many difficult and unusual ways that we'll never know about. But it's the families who bear the ultimate suffering of what bt did. And you know, we concentrate on BTK because A, he's still alive, b he's still being BTK. But the families are basically sitting all across the city, all across the state, and in silence because they don't want to think about it. They don't want to relive the moments, and I'm guessing that they would not want to do this to have their comments on the air, so they live in silence. And I think that burden for me would really be overwhelming.
Speaker 2: The relationship between Larry and I during that whole year, it was something very special. We became very very good friends during that year and very protective of each other.
Speaker 3: Can we get into the capture of Dennis Raider.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget it.
Speaker 1: Oh, go ahead, be my guess.
Speaker 2: Of course, all the TV stations were live covering every single millisecond of his way to prison. He leaves downtown Wichita. We have a helicopter in the sky following the caravan to Eldorado Prison, which is about thirty miles away. The helicopters in the sky. I remember following the car. I remember watching the car. I remember the car pulling up to the Eldorado Prison doors. I remember them getting Dennis Raider out in his jumpsuit, foot ankle cuffs and handcuffs, and then walking him into that prison. I remember the live shot of the prison door shutting. I have never been so relieved, so for lack of a better word, emotionally spent. I remember I started to cry, thinking to myself, the nightmare is over for Wichita. The nightmare is finally over, not only for us, for Larry and I and other members of the media, because it was a nightmare for us as well, but for all of Wichita, the nightmare was over. I started crying, and one other thing that struck me from that. Of course, that day we led with his incarceration forever and ever. All those stories aired that day, the five, six, and ten o'clock news, and all that I remember. The next day and the day after and the day after, we didn't mention his name, and it was so refreshing not to have his name mentioned on our newscast. And I'm sure it's what he wanted forever and ever and ever. I don't know if we mentioned his name for a couple months after that, and that's what was so refreshing. I don't know how Larry felt, but when the prison doors closed, I could physically feel this huge weight lifted from my shoulders. Mind you, we've covered a zillion trials, a zillion homicide cases, a zillion never one like this where you'd feel this weight lifted off of you when the prison doors closed. I mean, anchor people don't feel that. Journalists don't care. We felt this huge weight lifted off our shoulders and a huge sense of relief.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting. I'm listening to you give that moment by moment feeling, and that's incredible because my memory the day he was caught is just trying to get stuff on the air. And all I remember is all I could think about was Okay, we've got to get this bite in, We've got to get this story in, and so on and so forth. I don't remember my feelings that day. I don't, I don't not at all. I remember the week before he was caught, the week before they finally took him to prison, that I went over to the El Dorado prison and did a story on the cell. I went inside his cell where he would be kept, and I remember, you know, when that door slams on that cell, it is terrifying for me because I can't be in an enclosed place. It would drive me crazy. And when the door slams on that cell, that scared me more than anything, because I couldn't imagine spending the rest of my life in this very small area. But on the day, I remember all of the coverage of it, but I have no recollection of how I felt. I just nothing there.
Speaker 2: Not only did I feel that way the day he went to prison, but the day he was arrested, I was at the mall because it was in the morning before we went to work at two o'clock and the boss called and said, you got to get into work right away. I said, why, We're almost positive BTK was caught. I've never done this on a story. I mean stories or stories. You know, we're immune to this kind of thing. I was standing in the middle of the mall. The mall started going round and round and round, and I thought, oh my god, I'm going to faint. I'm going to faint. And I started crying and I sat down and put my head between my legs. That was over a news story. We've never done that before, but it involved us so much that we became part of the fear, part of the story, part of the extreme relief when he was finally caught.
Speaker 1: The moment for me was sitting in the courtroom when the judge asked him to go through his murders, and it was as if it was a three ring circus. He was in the center ring, the spotlight was on him, and he was the star, and he went through each murder in a way that you would talk about getting bread at the bakery or picking up your laundry, devoid of any emotion, just very factual. And I thought, how can a man stand up there and it was televised in front of everyone and go through those murders. And he was proud of it. He was I don't want to use the word happy about it. You could tell that this was his moment in the sun. This was his time in which everybody could see his work. And I remember thinking, what kind of person could do that, what kind of person could tell the most evil things that humanity can do and be proud of it. He was proud of it. He did it. It was his moment in the sun.
Speaker 2: Because you were in the courthouse and Jeff and I were feeling on the anchor set sick to our stomach, you had to have been even more sick to your stomach sitting there in the courtroom watching him.
Speaker 1: It felt like it was not real that this is a movie and this is the guy they hired to be BTK because so far, so devoid of reality, because human beings are not supposed to act like that. Human beings are not supposed to crave killing, human beings are not supposed to be proud of the fact that they have snuffed ten lives, and for him to stand up there in front of everyone and do that, it was just kind of like a movie script, almost didn't seem real. And then of course you brought back down to earth and it is reel.
Speaker 2: I also remember another feeling, and I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I'd like to ask Larry whether he felt the same way. I don't think you did, because I don't think Jeff did either. But I kept wanting to tell the judge, quit asking him questions, this is exactly what he wants. Quit asking him details of every single murder he's on stage. He's delighting in this. And I kept wanting to say to the judge, just let him plead guilty and go. But he had the opportunity because the judge kept asking him question and then there was this murder, and then there was this murder. What about this murder? He stood up like he was accepting an Academy award, answering the judge's questions about ten different murders, and I kept wanting to tell the judge, quit asking him, this is what he wants. He's delighting in this. And he had already pled guilty.
Speaker 3: Why do we need.
Speaker 2: To hear this?
Speaker 1: See this is a point when Susan and I probably disagree. I was very happy that the judge went through and had him describe each murder because I felt that there are probably still people out there who would say, oh, the media is pouring down negative things about this guy. You know what could be so terrible about Dennis Raider? But by taking him through murder by murder, and it just gets grosser and grosser and more terrible as he goes on, then you see what BTK was. Then you see the man behind the three letters, and he becomes real, and he becomes evil, and he would lose support, which is what I was hoping would happen. But still today I know that there are people who write, women who write him in jail. I don't get that, never have understood that. But I was just happy that judge went through all of those things so there was no mistake about what kind of human being this is and why he deserved those the death penalty, which he did not get because of Kansas laws. But I thought it was a great moment. I just felt it was surreal.
Speaker 3: Larry, can you tell us why you still communicate with Dennis.
Speaker 1: The reason I will occasionally write to BTK. We still to this day do not know what caused BTK to become a murderer. We just have no clue. And there are a million teachers out there with kids in their classroom, and they know something is wrong with a child, but they don't know what to do, They don't know how to do it. So the question becomes, how do we identify these children who are going to grow up to become a BTK. The first place that we would see that would be in the classroom, and so we need to find out what teachers can use to identify these kids. And we still don't know. Dennis Raider told me that he knew by the time he was in late grade school and certainly by early junior high who he was and what he was. That to me is terrifying because I'm guessing that there are thousands of other little btks out there being formulated right now. How do we find them, how do we detect them, and then how do we stop them? We still don't have those answers. And my hope is that all of the forensic psychologists who the FBI have employed and who others have employed. Can all get together instead of writing their own books, you know, from coast to coast, can all get together and say, Okay, here's what caused this to happen. Here's what teachers in the future and others and parents can look to to see that their child is going to grow up and be one horrible human being. But until we have those answers, the BTK story will never be dead. Even if he dies tomorrow, this story isn't done because we don't know what caused him to become the murdering monster that he was. We still don't know, and that's why I stay involved in it because I want to know, and I want to know for future generations.
Speaker 2: I one hundred percent agree with Larry. I don't think his death will do any good for closure for the families. It won't do any good for closure for other people who were affected by BTK. His death will mean almost nothing to them because they don't want to have any contact or anything to do with him. He's never really shown any remorse or sorrow or any has come anywhere near I made a mistake. He's admitted to Factor X, and he said Factor X made me do it. But he's never said I'm sorry, I let Factor X take over. I'm sorry I did this, I'm sorry I did that. I'm sorry. I'm a crazy person in my world. I think he knows he's a crazy person. I think he knows. He's never apologized for it. He's never apologized for the lives he's changed. And so for that reason, I don't think his death will do any good.
Speaker 1: In the letter that I just wrote to him, I asked him how he felt today about what he did as compared to two thousand and five, and the last time we talked, he didn't refer to that. He didn't answer that question. In this I said, recent stories in the news indicate that some believe that you may be responsible for two additional murders just asking questions like that. And the reason I write to him is that I hope, in a moment of sanity, he would write back to me and say, oh, yeah, I did kill that person, you know, back ten or fifteen years ago. But he hasn't done it yet. As a newsperson, you keep asking the question. And what we found is when you interview people, you ask the question many different ways and you get many different responses and you hope that the response would come out all right, guys, you know, yeah, okay, I did those others. He hasn't done that yet. What he wrote back to me this time, there's no news value in it. He said, I just want you to know I forgive you. I forget how he worded it. I'm trying to figure out what he's forgiving me for. He says, it's been a few minutes since we last corresponded, as I recall I recall you and others from KTV, How can I forget you you? And then he says something the media and I'm a man with extra which I couldn't read. But all is forgiven. So I'm not sure what he's forgiving me for. I did understand back in two thousand and five he was unhappy with me because in one story I referred to him as a monster and he took offense at that. So I'm always anxious to get a letter because you know, it may be a key to a solution to a piece of information that we don't have. And he said he in there he was getting away from letter writing. I understand why he's getting away from letter writing because it's very hard to read his handwriting. Now they apparently have tablets, he calls them. I'm assuming maybe it's a chromebook or maybe an iPad. I don't know what he has. So now he can text people, and he said he was also receiving texts. Having Denis Raider being able to text is a little bit terrifying. If you're sitting at the dinner table with your family and you get a text and it's Dennis Raider, B how do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter. He's in prison. He gets things like this. Dennis Raider has access to a tablet, to a television, to all these things, and it's not fair. I have the feeling he wants publicity.
Speaker 1: Now, Well, what I understand is everybody in the prison has access to this and they only get it if they're good. Now, if they violate prison rules or regulations, then television has taken away, the tablets are taken away.
Speaker 2: Why would he violate any rules. He wants his tablet, he wants his television.
Speaker 1: He has in the past. Yeah, he's bad.
Speaker 3: He has.
Speaker 1: I don't know what he's done, but he's been bad in the past and they have taken things away from him.
Speaker 3: Susan in this most recent letter, it says that you were never a project? How does that make you feel?
Speaker 2: Wish I would have known that twenty years ago. Wish I would have known it twenty years ago. It would have saved me a lot of stress, a lot of fear, a lot of angst. But hearing that I wasn't a project now, First of all, how do you believe a murders who knows when he's lying and when he's not lying. But hearing it now it makes no difference whatsoever. It's almost like, how dare him even say my name nothing?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: You're nothing now? You are nothing then, and you're even less than nothing now. This is the first time I've realized that we have never had these conversations about BTK, and that I've never really cried in front of Larry about BTK.
Speaker 1: It's interesting when I'm sitting across from Susan now, I am fascinated with her comments because it's the first time I've heard many of these things, and so we're sort of reliving it again.