Speaker 1: It's time for the b a q A.
Speaker 2: The b a q A.
Speaker 1: Okay, the b a q a A, the b a q A.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the b.
Speaker 1: Q A where you have q's and we have a's ish lowercase lowercase a's. Right, me and Manator are not your your financial advisors. We're not your therapists. No, we're not your banker. You know, we're not your morgage lender. You're insurance first. And but we are just too smart. Brown chocolate chip, well, would you would you say, are you backing amy? No? What tip would you call yourself?
Speaker 3: I guess sound like a blondie brownie instead of a brownie brownie.
Speaker 2: I hate blondies.
Speaker 1: I actually like blondies. Anyway, we're two chips right over here with a little bit of chocolate twirld in. And yeah, we're honestly, we're just too smart girls about our money. That here to give you some feedback. But ultimately, you know, we want you to take that advice and sprinkle it onto the advice you get from your paid financial professional.
Speaker 2: Not paying us. We have no contract. We just saying stuff on the internet.
Speaker 3: Okay, in other words, but we do have some juicy questions and if y'all want to submit your questions, best place to go first and foremost brownmbisson podcast dot com. You can submit a question there. But if you are already on IG, which aren't we all, go to Brand Ambission Podcast on IG you can slide into our d ms and leave us a question. If you would like to remain anonymous, that is fine, but it's more fun if you give us a you know, pseudonym or like a little pen name for yourself. So help us, help you by giving us a pen name or a pseudonym, and let's see where else. Email Brandambission Podcast at gmail dot com. You can email us your questions there as well.
Speaker 2: All right, So for money?
Speaker 1: Your career question?
Speaker 2: First? Which one?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: To the career one? Because I have this tab open? How about that? Okay, let's do it.
Speaker 3: A confused millennial is from this listener wants to go by a confused millennial? Aren't we all all right? And working in higher ed? So let's read this question. It's a juicy career one. She says, I work in higher education and I've been applying for jobs since September twenty twenty one. I've been trying to transition out of higher ed because I'm burnt out, I have a loss of passion, and the pay is limited. I was recently offered and accepted a better paying position at my current institution. Although I'm grateful, I just don't feel I'll be passionate about the work in this capacity, and I feel like I'm settling. So my question is it bad practice to accept the position and then possibly leave within a couple of months for something better. I have the experience of a project manager without the official title, and I'm looking to make that transition. I just don't want to make the people who have helped me get this position look bad. But I can't shake the feeling that I settled because it was the first offer I've received.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your guidance. A confused millennial. Interesting.
Speaker 3: I know that I'm the Queen a Quintin and I'm supposed to be like just put yourself first. All that I do want to like, my first instinct is like a word of caution here, especially because you know that you don't want the job itself. You're working with your at your current institution. But even if you're even if this were a job offered by another company, like Let's say it's another It's it's Meta or some big company and they're offering you this job and you know that you don't want it, you know, and you were like, should I just take it just to get out of here? I know I'm not going to like the work and I'll probably end up quitting a couple of months down the line.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's the best look.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie one. And it's fresh on my mind because I just had a I had a Meta recruiter, a friend of mine named Ryan, join a session that I did for Makers, and he was and this question came up. It was like, how do recruiters feel when someone backs out of a job when they realize it's not a good fit, you know, right before they started or soon after. And he was like, God, we hate that. And in fact, at Meta we keep a list, you know, or we keep notes about that kind of stuff. It wasn't all like that, but you know, like peep, they don't forget and you don't, and I do think you want to think about, you know, what are the repercussions of me putting people through this whole process and they've turned down other candidates potentially, and they put all these research. It tastes resources and money to hire, right, So if you know that you don't want the job, let somebody else have it and keep looking for that next right opportunity for you.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, And I'm glad that it's recent, so you know to your point, I mean, I can understand a confused millennial not one to go and do a poor job because you know your heart is not in it. So and plus two, I don't know she said other people that helped her get the position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does pay better, so I see why she's tempted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you don't want to be someplace where you're not wanting to because you're not going to do well. Like you know, a happy employee is a there's a hard working employee and honestly, project manager SIUs, that is cute right now. Now, I can't promise that you're going to get like benefits and all those other things.
Speaker 2: But I will say with.
Speaker 1: This, really, the surge of folks going into entrepreneurship, they doesn't go by that. I don't talk to one of my friends in entrepreneurship that they're not looking for a project manager honestly because more and more they're realizing that, Like, like even me, I never thought that. How I didn't know it is how important it was that I had project managers. I want to say I started really employing project managers not last year, but the year before, because sometimes, you know, you think you have this amazing team of amazing people, and they are all amazing, but to wrangle them all together and to say here's what we're working on, and the project manager is the one that's kind of checking in, Hey manage, did you do that thing? Hey son, did you do this thing? What will that be submitted in? It was everything. Like I really leaned in when I launched the Get Go with Money in my book and a Keisha shout out to her. That was her first time. She's been a project manager before outside of the company, but never for us, and she was so nervous. I was like, are you can do it? She seleated, and it made me a project manager like advocate. I was like, wait, is that how it goes? When someone basically there are many you and it was just amazing. So I just say all that to say, project management, you know, there's there's a big demand for it, a great group to join is build it Wait, Build It Branded plus Launch with Arsha Jones on Facebook. It is just a it's just a Facebook group filled with entrepreneurs, mostly sisters, if I meant, and I love it. But what I love about it is that there are so many entrepreneurs in there looking for project managers if you're not just people listening, graphic designers, attorneys and so it's just a really great place not to pitch yourself, but to be of service by answering questions and then by thereby people saying, well what about you? Can I hire you? So just keeping that in mind, that's a great place if you want to dabble your pinky. It's called oh yes, maybe he'd never been a part of it. Let me let me get it for cheesy since my home.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking, like, for no, for sure, should you should join?
Speaker 2: Look give me back on Facebook? All right?
Speaker 1: Fine, it's called me just see if I say yeah, yeah, it's like so brand Comma, build plus launch with Archie Jones. So maybe we can get like a link in the description yeah, brand build and launch with Archie Jones. Because when I tell you, it's like so many people who I have found I would literally type in there, Hey, like the other day, I needed somebody who knew how to do Hey, looking for assist who can slay at PowerPoint? You know, please x y z here. You can always post you're looking for someone, but you can't say they don't really want you advertising yourself. But I have seen women who are super savvy who will go in instead and answer questions, and then as a result, people are like, oh, I'd like to hire you. So that's perfectly fine. But it is such an amazing resource. I want to say I've hired at least five or six people over the last few years from brand build Launch, just because, like you know, there's some awesome people in there, So mosey on over, you guys who own businesses.
Speaker 2: It's a great place to be.
Speaker 3: I'm a mosy, well confused millennial. I hope that this helped you. And don't forget what you just said yourself and your question. I can't shake the feeling that I settled because it's the first offer I've received. Trust your gut. Your gut is telling you this is not the right fit. And one last parting thought is if you're worried about the people who've helped you get this position or offered the position in your university if you're worried about hurting their feet, and I would just be honest. I think people respond really well to honesty, and they don't want they don't want you to be unhappy, like they're trying to give you a position because they want you to be happy. And if this is not the one for you, then explain that to them. And at the end of the day, sometimes when it's time to quit, it's not just about like you could both really want it to work. It's like a relationship. But if the right role is not there for you and you want to go somewhere else to get it, then I think people again will understand when it comes to that honesty. I think is your friend here and staying true to that baby gut feeling that you're feeling. Yeah, okay, all right, let's take a quick break and I'll be back with your next questions is be a Q and A.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back. You want to want to read this one tif.
Speaker 3: Surest written all the way over it.
Speaker 1: This is from Molly May Mollie. She said, would you use your emergency fund to buy investment property which will probably which will provide a meet at monthly income, or sit on emergency fund until you have more liquid access as assets to invest. So Molly wants to know them she has this emergency fund, should she invest in to buy investment property or should she you know, just continue to keep it safe. Here's the thing, mal and a lot of people struggle with this. Even in my own company, Like there's like there was a little tussle between me and one of my co founders, not not in a bad way, but he wants we have an emergency fund. And oftentimes he's like, ah, I don't want it to just sit there. We should basically put it to work. And I am of the school of thought is the purpose of an emergency fund is for emergencies. Yeah, you know, so not to say you can't put some of it to work, but what if there's an emergency? So let's just say, God forbid, we enter into a recession. Oh wait, we're here, and then you know, you lose your job or something. And now, although that money is in this property and certainly maybe the property will pay you whatever twelve hundred bucks a month, let's just whatever, you know, but the emergency might call for more for more than that. It's almost like it is okay to give your money a job and just have it have a singular focus. The purpose of an emergency fund is not to yield you money. It is literally just the safety net. It's not like you're not using the safety net to also fish with, like, oh, why it could be a fishing net while I wait for the safety net. Well, by the time you have that out on the lake, you might actually need it from when you're gonna fall later, you know. And so I like emergency funds to stay emergency and then continue to save and then you can use investment money as investment money, because the nervousness is is that if something actually happens, you won't have the funds readily available. And you know, and here's the thing, as someone who's brought an investment property who was like, oh, you know in a few months will have money coming in, it's been two years, because you don't know what can happen. You know, the city might change some ordinance, you know, if there might be more work to be done in the house. You might have a hard time finding a good tenant. There's so many things that could go wrong before you actually start to reap the financial benefits, and so emergency fund to stay emergency. Let's just say you had a whole year's worth of emergency fund and then you say, Okay, I'm going to take six months of it, or I'm going to take nine months of it and leave them sit three months for emergencies. Then that that's different. But I would not synk my full emergency fund into investments.
Speaker 3: It's like you're getting a little impatient, right, Like you've got this money sitting there and you're thinking about it too much. I like to not think about my emergency fund at all, just forget it exists. That's why I kind of have it in like an online only a bank account that I can't necessarily just go easily and take it out. Yeah, you're thinking about it too much. You just want to like not think of it until you absolutely need it. And I mean, God forbid. It'd kind of be like if it'd be like, if I decide I'm feeling really healthy this year, I'm just going to not pay for health insurance. But the what we would never tell someone to do that, right because anything could happen, right, So I would I mean, and this could.
Speaker 2: Be whether you were in.
Speaker 3: I think maybe you're you feel like, oh, it's okay because it's an.
Speaker 2: Investment property and it's smart. But I would tell you the same thing.
Speaker 3: If you were like, I want to go on vacation, you know, and dip it into my emergency fund, I'd probably be like, maybe don't think about that. I think you've but you've proven that you can save, like Tip said, so just do it again, you know. And it's not like properties are going anywhere. Maybe in your area, maybe your worried prices are going to.
Speaker 2: Be going up. That's fair, But at the same time, it's not.
Speaker 3: Always the right time for you individually to start investing in a certain asset. And it doesn't sound like And I also feel like if you're it depends on how much you're Like, if you were going to be buying this property cash, or if you're going to be taking on a loan, the bank may want to see that you have a lot of cash on your books, so that in your bank account to even approve you for the loan. So draining, Like, if they know you're going to be draining your cash fund to get that home or get that property, they may not even give you the loan, you know, so that's another thing to potentially think about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and literally we're in the middle of probably going to be needing emergency funds. You know. Typically people don't get a little heads up. But it's like the recession is like, hey girl, back again, even stronger hopefully. So it's like, yikes. Honestly, just in general, if you can hear the sound of our voices, save, save, save because with sessions, you know, are hard and cash is queen during with sessions, because you don't know what is going to Like Honestly, because I'm a nervous nelly, I have one year's worth of emergency fund saved. I'm excessive. And meanwhile, you know, I've got a successful business in YadA, YadA, YadA. But I just I the last recession decimated my finances. I ain't going back. I'm going back, and so I have one year saved, and that way, you know, I have a year to figure out what to do in case everything falls apart. So just to give you like a point of reference, we're not just talking about it. We'd be beat about it over here.
Speaker 3: All right, Molly More, I keep wanting to say, Molly Moore, it's just your children's books. Check it out mollymore dot com. I'm sure you have that domain. You probably have every donor for all of that.
Speaker 1: It's m A l I, you know, m A l I m mo r.
Speaker 3: If you want not forgotten about Molly Moore at all. Rio is almost old enough to not rip the pages in half, so I might need it to him soon.
Speaker 2: It's board books are bust right now. He is just.
Speaker 3: All right, miss Mollie. Thank you so much for your question.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: If you guys want to leave us a question, you can hit us up, go to Brannambission podcast dot com and ask us anything, or direct message us on Instagram. We are at Brannambission Podcast on the Gram or Brown Ambission Podcast at emil dot com. Hey ba fan, we could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Ambission Podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: It's edited by the.
Speaker 3: Wonderful Imani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennis Stimplinsky is our in house tech curu, and I am Bandy Woodard Santos your co host, and I will see y'all next week.