Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: It is Verdict with Senator Ted Cruz Ben Ferguson with you, Senator, We've got a pack show today.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot happening right now. We've all seen the blockbuster verdict that came out against Donald Trump over three hundred and fifty five million dollars. We're going to talk about what that means and what's next. We've also seen the news that Joe Biden and his team believe they did nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with Afghanistan, that that disgraceful withdrawal and surrender was a model of success. We'll talk about that. And then the breaking news that Alexi Navolney, the dissident in Russia, has died in jail, and we're going to talk about what caused that, what Joe Biden could have done to prevent it. And all three of these stories we're going to explain have a common theme, a thread intertwined between them all.
Speaker 2: But first I want to tell you about a friends over at Patriot Mobile. If you are sick and tired of giving your money to woke companies that literally hate your values, hate your family values, hate your faith, it is time for you to vote with your dollars and switch to a company that stands by what you believe in.
Speaker 1: That is Patriot Mobile.
Speaker 2: When I look down at my phone, I see the word Patriot in the top left. Why because I switched to Patriot Mobile. Now I get the same great service that I had with Big Mobile. But the biggest difference is every time I make a call, every time I send a text, and every time I pay my bill, I know I'm standing with a company that's actually fighting for my values. Patriot Mobile offers you dependable nationwide coverage, giving you the ability to access all the major network towers, which means you get the same coverage you've been accustomed to without funding that left and when you switch to Patriot you're sending a message because five percent of your bill every month is given back and no charge to you, to causes that you help choose the support we're talking about supporting free speech, religious freedom, the sanctity of life, our Second Amendment, as well as supporting our military, our veterans, our first responder heroes, and our wounded warriors.
Speaker 1: How easy is it to switch?
Speaker 2: Just go to Patriotmobile dot com slash verdict that's Patriotmobile dot com slash Verdict or call them nine seven to two Patriot. Make the switch and make a difference with that bill every month free activation when you use the offer code Verdict. That's nine seven to two Patriot nine seven two Patriot or Patriot mobile dot com.
Speaker 1: Slash verdict Centator. Let's start with Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: As you mentioned a moment ago, there are a lot of complicated financial issues with this massive Basically, he's on the hook for nearly half a billion dollars across these three civil cases combined, but it's even more than that from the interest payments as he waits to appeal, and bonds and money that he's gonna have to tie up just to protect himself.
Speaker 1: Break all of this down for us.
Speaker 3: Well, that's exactly right. And we've talked a lot in this podcast about the lawfair that has directed at Donald Trump, about the effort to use the courts, to use the justice system to try to destroy Donald Trump. And understand, the objective here is fundamentally attack on democracy. The objective here is to stop the American people from electing Donald Trump once again as president of the United States. We've seen in the last nine months three different verdicts against Trump, all in New York, one for seven figures, one for eight figures, and now one for nine figures. We saw initially a five million dollar verdict last year, then we saw an eighty three point three million dollar verdict against Trump last year, and then just this past week we saw a three hundred and fifty four million dollar verdict. Now, of all of them, this latest one is the most disgraceful. Why is that because there was no victim in this entire case. There is literally not a person injured, nobody injured. Not only was nobody injured, the alleged victims made money, were happy about it, and wanted to do it again. So understand what this claim is. So Donald Trump is a real estate developer. He's developed a lot of real estate. When he develops real estate, he takes a lot of loans. Like every other real estate developer on planet Earth, he takes loans from banks. Now, Letitia James, who is a left wing partisan Democrat. She ran for office promising to get Donald Trump. That was her campaign promise, You elect me, and I'm going after Donald Trump. I'm gonna get him. So this was not a fair and objective application of the law. This was a political vendetta from day one.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, how is that not against the law to run for office saying that when you become what is supposed to be a steward of law and order, that you're actually running to lock up someone you disagree with politically? How is that legal in America today?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's going to be a very serious claim on appeal. Uh and and I think there is a significant chance this gets overturned on appeal, but that's going to take a long time. The prosecutor, on her on her face, is not fair, is not impartial, but is engaged in a partisan political vendetta. She said that before she knew the facts of anything, she had her target. Her target was Donald Trump, and because partisan Democrats in New York hate Donald Trump, that that was a good election year message that got her elected. But understand, so this theory is actually not seeking to put him in jail. It's simply trying to take his money and and and trying to shut down his business and destroy his business. And and the argument is that when he was getting loans from giant global banks, that he overstated the value of his real estate. And look, I don't know if he did or not. If he did, he's probably like every other real estate developer on planet Earth, and in my experience, real est state developers pretty much all think their development is worth a ton of money, and reasonable minds can differ. That's part of the real estate business. Now to whom did he allegedly overstate the value of his properties? Well, it is to these global banks who mind you didn't take his word for it. It's not like they said, oh, okay, he says it's worth this, let's just give him the money. No, they have appraisers. They're sophisticated. They go in and say, yeah, yeah, be quiet, we're gonna look at the property, we're gonna figure out what we think it's worth, and we're going to value it. That's exactly what they did. The testimony at trial was that the loans he took out, he paid every penny of it with interests. The banks made money. They were very happy about it. They made their own independent assessment of the values of the property, and in fact, internally they considered him a quote will. That was their term, and they wanted to do more loans because they were very profitable loans for these banks. And yet Letitius James's theory as well, we think the values were overstated, and so therefore we're going to make him pay three hundred and fifty four million dollars. Now we also know the trial was conducted in front of a partisan Democrat trial judge who was smirking and condescending and self righteous and clearly loathes Donald Trump and loved every minute of being in the limelight that he and Letitia James are getting to go after and hammer Donald Trump. And what we saw was a travesty. It was an abuse of justice. It was using the legal system to attack your political enemies. It was not a fair and neutral application of the law.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk also about there's a big X factor here. And there's so many that asked me this question on my show, which is where does this three hundred plus million go if there's no one that says that they were defrauded by Donald J. Trump or his sons or his businesses. There was no one. There's no one to make coal here. There's no one claiming that they are deserving of those dollars. So how do they say that Donald Trump defrauded somebody when no one claims they're being defrauded. And the people that in theory would have been defrauded were actually in court defending Donald Trump saying we were not defrauded.
Speaker 3: Well, it goes to the State of New York, and so Letitia James is just trying to take the money for the State of New York. And understand that even if even if this is overturned on appeal, the impact on Trump is very significant. Why is that because in order to appeal it, you have one of two options. Either you have to put the money up. So you're looking at, with interest, over four hundred million dollars that he's got to write a check into escrow for. He's got to put up a bond. Now, a bond you go to a bonding company and typically you put up twenty percent of the amount of the bond, and then you put up collateral to back up the bond. And either way it is a very expensive proposition. Now, Trump testified that his cash on hand right now is about four hundred million dollars. So assuming that testimony is accurate, and he had to here was the quote he said, quote, we have I believe four hundred plus and going up very substantially every month. My biggest expense is probably legal fees. Unfortunately, so if you assume he has roughly four hundred million dollars, this verdict would take all of his liquid cash, and that is a big blow for anyone, even for someone with the resources Trump has. And that's what it's intended to do. And not only that, this judge went after and penal find Donald Trump Junior, find Eric Trump, and barred all three of them from doing business in New York from serving on the board of their own company for three years. This is a punitive result born out of spite, and it is yet another example of the weaponization of our legal system and the willingness of partisan democrats. We talk a lot on this podcast about what the radical left accuses their opponents of doing is in fact what they are doing themselves, and this instance, their favorite line is we must defend democracy. This is an assault on democracy. It is intended to be an assault on democracy. They are going after him for the same reason that Colorado and Maine are trying to pull him off the ballot, because they're terrified that the American people in November are going to pull the lever for Donald J. Trump and reelect him as president.
Speaker 2: How significant center will it be on appeal that New York's Democratic governor came out over the weekend and assured quote real estate developers that they won't be targeted for real estate valuations like Trump.
Speaker 1: That the governors told.
Speaker 2: New York businesses not to fear about Trump verdict nothing to worry about, meaning we're just doing it to him, but don't worry, we won't do it to you.
Speaker 3: So number one, I'm not sure businesses are going to trust that, because what the governor is really saying is so long as you stay on our good side, so long as you contribute to Democrats, so long as you don't piss us off, we won't go after you and try to bankrupt you too. But let's be clear, if this verdict is upheld, every real estate development in New York City, the Attorney General can go after and hit with a similar verdict. I mean, this is a power. The only thing that keeps them, keeps them from this happening to them, is the leniency, is the kindness of the Attorney General. That's not very comforting to anyone. But I got to say beyond that, you know the governor, you know I really do think the governor needs to send a letter to the Federal Election Commission acknowledging an inkind contribution to the Donald J. Trump campaign, and in particular her statements, I guarantee you are going to feature prominently in Trump's appeal, because on the face of it, what she's saying is no, no, no, don't worry. This is a selective prosecution. We only do this to people we hate. This is not applying the law fairly. This is because he's Donald Trump. As long as you're not Donald Trump, you'll be safe. Well that that might be good politics in New York, bare knuckle politics, but that is not the due process of law or the equal protection of laws. Instead, that is deliberately abusing power and then the governor brazenly admitting it.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to you about how you start your morning off. If you're like me and you're a coffee drinker, I get up early, I get on the radio at seven am, and I have got to have not just a cup of coffee, a really good cup of coffee.
Speaker 1: And I have a twenty twenty four New Year's resolution.
Speaker 2: I am not giving my money to woke coffee companies that is something I have gotten rid of. Blackout Coffee is the coffee that I drink. It is amazing. This is one hundred percent America and zero percent woke coffee. Blackout Coffee is one hundred percent committed to conservative values as a company, from sourcing their beans to the roasting process, customer support and shipping, they embody true American values and they accept no compromise on premium taste and premium quality. If you want a great cup of coffee, not good, not kind of good, not pretty good, but amazing, you need to go to Blackout Coffee slash verdict.
Speaker 1: Now here's the cool part.
Speaker 2: Use the promo code vertict for twenty percent off your first order.
Speaker 1: So try it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be hooked like I am, and you'll never go back to those other woke brands. Blackoutcoffee dot com slash vertict, be awake, not woke. That's Blackoutcoffee dot com slash vertict. Promo code vertict for twenty percent off your first order. Senator, I want to move to the other big story we mentioned earlier, and that is Joe Biden and Afghanistan. I know Joe Biden's got a lot of gaffs.
Speaker 1: He's gone pro in that.
Speaker 2: But we're now finding out about the inside of the Biden administrations, not just Afghanistan policy, but specifically they're in difference towards rescuing American citizens that we're in Afghanistan when the pullout happened, which we know was a disaster.
Speaker 1: How frustrated are.
Speaker 2: You now to find out that this administration pretty much like, oh yeah, all right, there's some Americans there.
Speaker 1: We might figure that out later.
Speaker 3: Well, look, it is consistent with a pattern with the law, fair with the abuse of power we see against Trump. What is happening is Democrats are putting their own partisan interest above the rule of law. They are putting politics above doing what's right. The same thing is happening with Afghanistan. We've talked a long time about how when it comes to foreign policy, this White House views everything as a domestic political issue. They view everything through a partisan political lens. So why was Afghanistan such a train wreck? Well, a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest is Joe Biden decided he wanted to have a press release of a complete and total withdrawal by the anniversary of September eleventh, so he set an arbitrary deadline, we must be out by September eleventh. And once he set that political deadline that was not driven by military realities on the ground, it was driven by a political objective to make the left in the Democrat Party happy. He then disregarded military advice, and in particular military advice that told him that it would require a significant number of troops to secure and keep secure Bogram Airfield, and Bogram Airfield was necessary to have safe evacuations of Americans. Now, the problem is Biden apparently really didn't care. He had a political objective and national security was not going to get in the way of that political objective. And so he dictated that the troop draw drown must be significant. And the military was faced with a choice the number of troops they were allowed to keep. They could either keep Bogram or they could have troops to go at Kabble International Airport, and they chose the airport in Kabble. They gave up Bogram. Now, Bogram was a multi billion dollar secure military airfield the United States had built. If we had done the evacuation from Bogram, we would not have seen thirteen servicemen and women killed because Bogram was built to be secure where terrorists could not murder our American servicemen and women, But because the Biden White House puts politics above national security, they didn't care. Now what happened here. What happened here is that Biden believed they'd done nothing wrong. And in fact, Politico reported after Afghanistan, quote no one offered to resign, in large part because the President didn't believe anyone had made a mistake, ending the war was always going to be messy. And in fact, they continue and say quote Biden told his top aides that he stood by them and that they had done their best during a tough situation. Quote. There wasn't even a real possibility of a shakeup, a White House official told the reporter. Now understand that this was universally acknowledged by everyone as a complete, massive screw up. We saw planes taking off in Afghanistan with people clinging to the wheels, running in desperation. We saw terrorists murdering not just thirteen servicemen and women, but murdering Afghans who had helped America, torturing Afghans who had helped America. Every fair and neutral observer watching this recognized it was an absolute debacle, and yet Biden's view was nothing to see here, Hey, this was all great.
Speaker 2: I get frustrated because people's lives were changed because these decisions, Their family trees were changed. There are people that never got to see their kids, their boyfriends, their wives or husbands ever again because of what happened, and they're used to be We've talked about this before in the show that if you were an American there was almost like an invisible bubble around you when you're around the world because you don't mess with Americans because if you did, there was going to be major consequences. We are seeing that center that imaginary bubble has basically disappeared. The terrorists aren't afraid of messing with us, They're not afraid of going after American troops in the Middle East. We've seen these one hundred and fifty plus one hundred and sixty hundred and seventy attacks whatever the newest number is since the attacks on Israel against Americans, and we have a president now that they know you can mess with us and we will not respond. How do you gauge the national security threat of just that mindset change, and how do you hold this administration responsible for that?
Speaker 3: Well. This story gives more details, and in particular, it says that the Pentagon pushed hard to keep troops in Afghanistan, and Biden gave a withdrawal order in April of twenty twenty one, and the sides fought about what to do. On May eighth, twenty twenty one, they were doing a rehearsal for the evacuation offer operation with Jake Sullivan, who's Biden's National Security advisor, with Lloyd Austin, who's the Defense Secretary, and with the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the time, General Mark Milly, and the Defense Department argued that it would be too dangerous to have the embassy to continue to try to do business as usual, and Brian McKeon, who was the Deputy Secretary of State, jumped in. He said the diplomats would be just fine, and his quote was, quote we at the State Department have a much higher risk tolerance than you guys. And the writer at Politico rights that quote Milly, that would be General Mark Milly, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Quote Milly nearly jumped out of his chair, but restrained himself from shouting. Now he and many serving in the armed forces had lost friends in war. Austin, the Defense Secretary, showed no signs of anger, but later told colleagues that he was offended by McKeon's remark. That was the attitude of this administration. And in fact it wasn't just just the attitude. There is simultaneously a story that is in the Spectator that says, and this is by Matthew Foldy quote. At the time of the Afghanistan withdrawal, Biden administration officials said behind closed doors that the Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln and the National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan quote don't give a F and F was not abbreviated. It was spelled out fully about rescuing a Americans from the clutches of the Taliban. The admission came on a late August twenty twenty one phone call held between the Department Offense and Congressional Democrats. Based on The Spectator's review of contemporaneous text messages. During the conversation, a Pentagon official acknowledged, in response to frustration from Democrats that the two of the senior most officials working on the evacuation, Blincoln and Sullivan were indifferent to the plight of their fellow Americans. Think about that for a second. That is reporting that the Biden White House didn't give I'm going to sanitize it and say a damn about rescuing Americans from the Taliban. That is this partisan political white house.
Speaker 2: You know. This also goes to the next topic we were going to talk about, and that deals obviously with Russia and Vladimir Putin killing his in essence top political adversary this past week. But before I get that, I want to go back to does this also explain when we were getting out a WNBA player because it was high profile, we left another American behind there in Russia. Why would you be afraid of Joe Biden if this is your mentality in Afghanistan with Americans, does an American life in a jail in prison really matter?
Speaker 3: Well, unfortunately for Biden, it's all politics. And so the Biden administration focused on a WNBA player because that was high profile and that was consistent with their political objectives. But we're more than happy to leave other Americans, including servicemen and women behind because that was not their priority. There's a consistent theme about it. It's an elevation of partisan politics. And look at the time of the Afghanistan withdrawal, I said then that the weakness and the incompetence displayed by the Biden White House has made the world much much more dangerous. That every enemy of America is looking to the Oval Office and it's taking the measure of the commander in chief. And I believe that all of them concluded that the commander in chief was weak and feckless and ineffective. In other words, they concluded what the Biden Department of Justice just argued in writing that he was a feeble old man with a limited memory. And what I said at the time of the Afghanistan debacle is the chances of Russia invading Ukraine just increased tenfold, and the chances of China invading Taiwan just increased tenfold. Bad guys do not fear weakness. Weakness encourages them to be worse. And that's what Biden has done to every enemy of America.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about what's happening also with this adversary to Vladimir Putin and give a little context here so people understand the Russian regime has been trying to murder Alexi for now years. You go back to Joe Biden, and he even went on the record in Geneva, Switzerland, back on June the sixteenth of twenty twenty one, saying that there would be major consequences if he died in captivity by the Russians by Putin. I want to play this from June sixteen, twenty twenty one, mister.
Speaker 1: Presidents a quick following the same theme of consequences you said just now, do you spoke to him a lot about human rights? What do you say would happen if opposition later Alexi Navanni dies.
Speaker 4: I made it clear to him that I believe the consequences of that would be devastating for Russia. I'll go back to the same point. What do you think happens when he's saying and it's not about hurting navale all the stuff he says to rationalize the treatment of Navalny, and then he dies in prison. I pointed out to him that it matters a great deal.
Speaker 1: I mean, Senator, that was twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: What changed, Well, actually nothing changed, And I'm going to explain in a minute that he didn't believe what he was saying then. But before I explain that, let's play what Biden is saying now, because even he is admitting today that what he said then was full of crap. Listen to what he's saying right now.
Speaker 4: Now's the time for even greater unity among our NATO allies to stand up to the threat that Putin's rush of poses. You know, I sent my deepest condolence as Alexi staff and supporters are going to continue his work despite this loss, despite all of Putin's desperate attempts to stamp out the opposition, and most of all, to his family, especially to his wife, his daughter, and his son. We've already sacrificed so much for their family and a shared dream for a better future for Russia.
Speaker 2: Now, that was him making his first statement at the White House. But then the media asked him that question, Hey, what happened to what you said three years ago? First?
Speaker 1: Was this assassination?
Speaker 4: The answer is that we don't know exactly what happened, but there is no doubt that the death of the Volny was the consequence of something that Putin and his thugs did.
Speaker 3: And to be clear, you warned Vladimir Putin when you were in Geneva, of devastating consequences.
Speaker 1: If Navali died.
Speaker 3: In Russian custody, what consequences should he and Russia face?
Speaker 1: That was three years ago.
Speaker 4: In the meantime, they faced a hell of a lot of consequences. They've lost and or had wounded over three hundred and fifty thousand Russian soldiers.
Speaker 2: I mean sinator. He doesn't answer the questions. He says, that was three years ago, and now because of the war with Ukraine. Well, they've had some somehow some consequences that have.
Speaker 1: Nothing to do with killing this individual.
Speaker 3: Well he did answer the question, actually, and his answer is nothing. That he's so weak, that he's so ineffective, that he's not going to do anything. And Putin knows that everybody else knows that Navalney knew that. So last week, when the news of Navalney's death broke, here's the statement that I put out. Quote. The Russian regime has been trying to murder Alexi Navalny for years to stop his criticism of Vladimir Putin's corruption and ontocracy and to intimidate the Russian people from similar criticism. Tragically, they appear to have finally succeeded in murdering him. We must ensure that they will never succeed in silencing him. The regime interprets weakness from the United States as appeasement and has only escalated its oppression in recent years. Russian people are entitled to express their views peacefully without fear of retribution, and I will work with my colleagues to hold accountable those in the Russian regime responsible for this atrocity. So that's what I put out. But I want to go back because I said that Biden didn't mean the tough consequences when he said that. How do I know that, Because if you go back to twenty twenty one, you go back to the beginning of the Biden administration where Vladimir Putin poisoned Alexi Nevaldi actually poisoned him in August of twenty twenty, and he was poisoned with a Novachok class nerve agent, which is the same class that was used by Russia in the twenty eighteen Assassin assassination attempt against a former British intelligence agency. It's a strategy of murder that the Russians are fond of. Poisoning, and at the time time Biden announced really mild sanctions on Russia, said okay, we're going to slap your hand. And what I called for at the time was sanctioning and shutting down the nord Stream two pipeline. Now remember nord Stream two pipeline was a pipeline that Putin was building that went straight from Russia to Germany. It circumvented Ukraine. The entire point of the nord Stream two pipeline was to enable Russia to get its natural gas to Europe without needing to go through the pipelines in Ukraine. Why did Putin want the nord Stream two pipeline so he could invade Ukraine. I authored the sanctions that shut nord Stream two down. I passed them into law in December of twenty nineteen, got overwhelming bipartisan support in the Senate, got overwhelming bipartisan support in the House. Donald Trump signed my sanctions legislation into law and listened to this. Putin stopped building the nord Stream two pipeline literally the day, the very same day that Donald Trump signed my sanctions legislation, the pipeline was done. That was December of twenty nineteen December of twenty twenty, I passed another set of sanctions legislation on nord Stream two, again with overwhelming bipartisan support. Again, Donald Trump signed it to law. The pipeline remained dead. Now fast forward to January twenty twenty one. On January twentieth, Joe Biden takes the oath of office. He becomes president. Four days later, four January twenty fourth, twenty twenty one, Putin resumes deep sea construction of the nord Stream two pipeline, literally four days into the Biden presidency.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 3: Because Biden was already showing weakness. Putin understood Biden was weak, and by the way, that foreshadowing of weakness was true, it was accurate. Why do we know that, because several months later Biden formally waived the sanctions on nord Stream two. He gave Vladimir Putin a multi billion dollar gift. He let him complete that pipeline. And that pipeline waving those sanctions is why Putin invaded Ukraine. It is Biden's fault. But when Navalney, when Putin went after Navalney, I called on Biden. I said, all right, you gave Biden this gift of Nordstream two. How about now, when Navalney's in jail, how about now impose the sanctions on Nordstream two. How about now grow a backbone and stand up to Putin? And Biden refused to do so. Instead put little slap of the wrist sanctions on it. And so when he said severe consequences, he didn't meet it in twenty twenty one, and he's admitted it now. The consequences he has in mind are nothing. And you know what. Putin will continue to behave worse, will continue to be more oppressive, will continue to be more of a threat China. She will continue to behave worse, to be more oppressive, to be more of a threat North Korea. Will Thanezuela, will Iran, will every enemy of America Hamas, will Hesbalow, will all of them. When we have a weak commander in chief, America is at greater peril, and every one of our allies is at greater peril.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you one question about sanctions real quickly. Before I do that, let me remind you right now, if you want to get the best cup of coffee in your life, take advantage of blackout coffee and the twenty percent off your first order right now by going to Blackoutcoffee dot com slash verdict. It is a premium cup of coffee that you're going to love to drink each and every day without the woke agenda of many of the left coffee companies you know the ones I'm talking about, and if you are not willing to settle for an average cup of coffee.
Speaker 1: I start my day early.
Speaker 2: Every day, I'm on the radio at at seven o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 1: I have got to.
Speaker 2: Make sure I have a really good cup of coffee in front of me. And that is why I love Blackout Coffee and I want you to try it. The coffee is one hundred percent of America, zero percent woke. Blackout Coffee committed to conservative values from the source of the beans, the roasting process, customer support and shipping. They embody true American values and accept no compromise on taste or quality. Go to Blackoutcoffee dot com slash vertict use the promo code vertict.
Speaker 1: You'll get twenty percent off your first order. You're going to love it. I promise you.
Speaker 2: Check them out Blackoutcoffee dot com slash vertict be awake, not woke, with your dollars and your.
Speaker 1: Cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: That's Blackoutcoffee dot com slash vertict twenty percent off your first order promo code vertict cend. Our final question for you on sanctions, what is the point of having sanctions? And you mentioned multiple countries there that we have sanctions on that we're not doing anything. We're not enforcing the sanctions. And if the president and his administration will not enforce the sanctions, is is there any checks and balances that can come into play on the House, the Senate, congressional oversight, Because if you've got the sanctions and they're worthless because you don't enforce them, who does that fall on And can it change?
Speaker 3: Well, it certainly can't change, and Congress can force the president to do it. And the best example of that, Let's go back to Nordstream two and I'll finish the story when Biden waived the sanctions. My response as I put a hold on every single nominee at the State Department. I block them in the Senate and it caused the Biden administration to go nuts. It caused Senate Democrats to go nuts, and I said, listen, Joe Biden is handing a massive gift of Vladimir Putin. He is causing war in Europe. He is causing Russia to prepare to invade Ukraine. This makes no sense, and it is endangering Europe, our allies, and it's endangering America. For all of twenty twenty one, I had those holes in place. In December of twenty twenty one, I cut a deal with Chuck Schumer. I let I think it was thirty four of those holds go in exchange four scheduling a vote on new sanctions on Nordstream two in January of twenty twenty two. Schumer agreed, so I forced the vote on the Senate floor. Now when the vote came up in January of twenty twenty two. The week before the vote, President Zelensky and Ukraine publicly begged the United States Senate please please please pass cruises sanctions legislation. This legislation is the last best hope to stop Russia from invading Ukraine to avoid war. That same week, the government of Poland put out a formal statement pleading with the United States Senate to pass my sanctions legislation. Poland said, if you do not do so, Russia will invade Ukraine. Now, Ben That is highly unusual. Foreign countries generally do not out statements on particular votes in the Senate asking the Senate to do something. In this case, both Ukraine and Poland put out those statements. The day of the vote, Joe Biden came sixteen blocks from the White House down to Capitol Hill and he went to the Democratic Senate lunch and he personally lobbied the Democrats senators. This was the first time he had done so since he became president, and he came there to lobby them. His request was, please, please, please vote against Cruz's sanctions legislation. Please vote for Russia and Putin. So twice, when I had introduced my legislation and passed it to law, all the Democrats had come together and supported it. So they were on record twice supporting my sanctions. In January twenty twenty two, because Biden's personal lobbying, forty four Democrat senators flipped their votes. They voted against sanctions, they voted in favor of Russia, they voted in favor of Putin, and as a result, a month later, Russia invaded Ukraine, and we have still today the biggest war in Europe since World War II. Look, I'm someone who hates war. I am very reluctant to go to war. But I agree with Ronald Reagan. I agree with Winston Churchill. I agree with Donald Trump in the philosophy of peace through strength that the best way you avoid war is being strong enough your enemies don't want to mess with you, and sanctions can be a very powerful tool for avoiding war. What the Biden White House is all about when it comes to our enemies is weakness and appeasement, and waiving these sanctions directly cause the war. Once the pipeline was complete, Putin's view was he could invade because he could still get his guests to Europe even if the pipelines in Ukraine were.
Speaker 2: Destroyed, no doubt. Don't forget this week. It's gonna be a big week with breaking news. We're going to keep you updated on all of it. Monday, Wednesday, Friday. We need this show and don't forget. You can listen to my podcast as well, the Ben Ferguson podcasts and those in between days. I'll keep you updated on the latest breaking news. So makes you subscribe to that The Ben Ferguson podcasts as well, and we will see you back here on Wednesday morning.