Speaker 1: I Am all in.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's just you. I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: He everybody Scott Patterson. I Am all In Podcast, one of eleven productions iHeartRadio, iHeartMedia, iHeart Podcast Pop Culture, Season seven, Episode eighteen, Hey Bail mays, I'm joined by the one, the only, the inimitable, Susan French. Amy will be joining us shortly.
Speaker 2: I'm tully back there she is. I heeart podcasts.
Speaker 1: Listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I would love to do the first one, if you'll let me.
Speaker 1: You take it right away.
Speaker 2: Did I interrupt your intro though?
Speaker 1: Keep going? Nope, not at all. Where You're good to go, runways clear.
Speaker 2: Harris seems to believe that Doyle is sensitive to lactose, so she elaborates on why it's not such a bad thing. First of all, I do have a problem with lactose, even though Doyle says I have no problem with lactose. I want people to be okay with having a problem with lactose because I cannot eat as cream paris. There's nothing wrong with being something.
Speaker 1: Were you making a lactose speech? You were making? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was because I think I have a lactose issue. I can't have milk, cereal with milk, and I can't have ice cream, and I certainly cannot have whipped cream.
Speaker 1: Oh can you have Can you have yogurt?
Speaker 2: Yogurt?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And yes, brows and yogurt sometimes, but like yogurt yogurt, just like your basic yogurt yep. And I can have certain cheese. But I would never drink a glass of milk. That would not go well anyway. There's nothing wrong with being sense.
Speaker 1: Make sure you don't win the Indy five hundred. Ever, don't do it?
Speaker 2: Do they pour milk all over again?
Speaker 1: They drink a bottle of milk out of a bottle of milk out of a glass bottle.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh, I cannot do that.
Speaker 1: No, go ahead, so I keep interrupting.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with being sensitive. Jake Jillenhall is sensitive. Orlando Bloom is sensitive. Jake Jillenhall is an actor, obviously, and younger brother of actress Maggie Jillenhall. I love Jake Jillenhall now, even though this note here says his breakout role was in two thousand and one, when he landed the lead in Donnie Darko I might want to tell you that I love Jake Jillenhall in the Dennis Quaid movie The Day After Tomorrow. I've seen it like fifty times. It is so good. It's one of those like blow him up, the world is ending apocalypse. Yeah, like something's wrong with the weather and the world's spreezing over. Currently, he is on the show that everyone's calling the must Binge of the Summer, Presumed Innocent, and it is on Apple TV and I love it. I just started watching it weirdly last night and I'm an episode and a half in Orlando Bloom is an actor who made his breakthrough as the character of leg A Loss in The Lord of the Rings. I don't watch that, so I hope I said that right, and later in The Hobbit. Also married to Katy Perry. Did you know four teenagers broke into Orlando blooms Hollywood Hills home in two thousand and nine and stole half a million dollars worth of possessions and they became known as a Bling Ring and most of the items were he got them back.
Speaker 1: Was the Bling Ring incarcerated? No, Yes, he prosecuted.
Speaker 2: Yes, they were part of the Bling Ring? Was I think some some worse some weren't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let that be a lesson to you kids out there. Crime doesn't pay anyway. Rory taels Paris and Logan. She's got to get ready for her interview. Rory, Okay, I need to pick out a coat. A trench coat would be to All the President's Men, but my blue coat would be to his girl Friday. I don't know. All the President's Men is a nineteen seventy six film about the true story of the Watergate scandal that brought down the Nick In presidency. This was also referred to in Season five starring Can You Name the Stars? Who can name the stars of this film? Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford and Jason Robarts.
Speaker 2: I still haven't watched it, but I want to. Oh, Jason Robarts, you know what. I know him the most from That's scary, scary movie The Day After But.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he played Ben Bradley.
Speaker 3: That movie was so scary.
Speaker 2: Not All the Presidents Men in the Day After, noident. Also, Steve Guttenberg was in that Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Sorry, and not in All the Presidents Man.
Speaker 2: He was in the Day After Right the.
Speaker 1: Day After His girl Friday.
Speaker 2: Sam, I scarred our childhood? Am I right, Suzannah? Yeah, it really did.
Speaker 1: His Goal Friday is a nineteen forty rom com bound newspaper editor who uses every trick in the book to keep his reporter ex wife from remarrying. Did you know? In his Goal Friday, the director Howard Hawks intended for the cast to talk fast, as he was determined to break the record for the fastest film.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I know this. I had to write a paper in college on his Girl Friday, and I've seen that movie twenty times. I had like literally watch it twenty times to write the paper, and yeah, ough too many times.
Speaker 1: Susanne, you're up.
Speaker 3: Rory continues to scramble to get ready, and she says, what about this coat?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: To that Girl? Logan says, you could never be to that girl. That Girl is the nineteen sixty six TV sitcom that stars Marlo Thomas as Anne, who was an aspiring actress that moves from her hometown to try and make it big in New York City.
Speaker 1: Did you Know?
Speaker 3: That Girl? Was canceled due to production disagreements that un led to an unexpected pulling of the plug at the end of season five.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. I've never seen that girl. But I love that Marlo Thomas is married to Phil Donahue, and also that Marlo Thomas, her father Danny Thomas, started Saint Jude and she carries it on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a great show. That girl.
Speaker 2: I really want to do this one. It's not as exciting to me. I will do it, but do you want me to do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We're here to support you. Though.
Speaker 2: April shows Luke her range of books she picked up from the library while she stays with him. Wowow what you do read the New Mexico State Library. I know, I know, I just I couldn't anticipate what I'd be in the mood for. Would I feel like Melville or mcinernie, or would I be in more of a Native American interconnected short narratives mood, in which case I'd go for the Louis erdic and some love medicine. I don't know any of this other than Melville and movie Dick Herman. Melville is a novelist and a poet of the American Renaissance. He's known for his novel Moby Dick. Jay McInerney is an American screenwriter and novelist, with his works including Bright Lights, Big City Ransom, and Story in My Life. She seems to be reading books that are not appropriate for her age. But Louis Erdnik is a Native American author who has written Love Medicine, The Birch, Bark House, and The Roundhouse. Love Medicine was first published in nineteen eighty four and follows the lives of five a Jibway families living on fictional reservations in Minnesota and North Dakota. Did you know Louis Ridick is a member of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa of federally recognized tribe of o Jibwe people.
Speaker 1: All right, Luke tells April she looks good and all grown up. Sin Smoot in New Mexico, April Thanks. A girl can only be called Sally Jesse so many times before she has to rethink the red frame. Sally Jesse Raphael As a former tabloid talk show host known for her show Sally. Did you know how they come up with that name? Did you know? The source of her famous red framed glasses goes all the way back to the first her first broadcast news job. She had difficulty reading the teleprompter and quickly went to a store across the street from her studio to purchase a pair of reading glasses.
Speaker 2: Got show. It was kind of it was sort of Jerry Springery fascinating story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was at the same time as like Ricky Lake and yeah it was Laurie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ury Povich, who's the baby, who's your daddy? Whatever it was. Maury Povich is married to Connie Chung, which is like another kind of crazy thing, but good for them. They're all making it work.
Speaker 3: Rory is showing Logan around and points to the curb where she fell off her bicycle. Rory says, yeah, you joke, but it was very traumatic. Okay, I scraped up my whole face. There was a big old scab on my nose the first two weeks of fifth grade. Oh, they called me Boso. Logan says, Boso, Ory says, and Rudolph and scab nose. Boza the Clown is a character created in nineteen forty six by Alvian Livingston and portrayed by Pinto Kolvig for a children's storytelling record album. Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer is a fictional reindeer. I'm glad we specified that, and the youngest of Santa's reindeer who uses his luminous red nose to lead the sleigh on Christmas Eve? Did you know that having been broadcast every year since nineteen sixty four, Rudolf Off the Red Nose rein to Your stands as the longest running Christmas special on television.
Speaker 2: I know that was ironic. Then last episode we were talking about my fear of clowns, and then I had forgotten that Boso was mentioned. Yeah, Bozo is probably what caused my fear of clowns, Like, oh, he was a very creepy clown.
Speaker 1: You creepiest.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been driving and see a clown driving next to you?
Speaker 1: I have? That would creak me out.
Speaker 2: Does they drive in their costume when they go to parties?
Speaker 1: I'd hit the gas, I'd high tail it out of.
Speaker 2: That creepy I'd call the cops me or Scott. You do it so I can do Hasslehawk.
Speaker 3: You do this one?
Speaker 2: What it's the Godfather, This one's a god.
Speaker 1: Right, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Logan asked Rory questions about the Spring Fling Festival. Logan this is all Taylor's idea. Rory says, yep, and then Logan says, and this is the same tailor who is town selectman who owns two businesses, where he says, yeah, he's basically the mayor of Stars Hollow and the Don Corleone all wrapped into one. Don Corleone better known as Vito Corleone. Uh, that's so there is like that? Then not till anybody outside of the family what you're thinking? Again? There there you go as a fictional character in Mario Puzo's nineteen sixty nine novel The Godfather that was also turned into four out well two outstanding films. Did you know Marlon Brando stuffed his cheeks with cotton balls for his audition of Don Corleone to look more like a bulldog. In the film, he wore a mouthpiece. Did you know the studio had no interest in hiring Marlon Brando for that role? They they told Coppola, no way, know, how ain't happening?
Speaker 2: How did he make it happen?
Speaker 1: So he went to Marlon and he said he was honest with him and said, you know, you're they think you're unemployable because you're difficult on the set and it just happened to be like the greatest actor on the planet. But it was difficult, so you didn't get the role. So cop look convinced him to do a screen test. Oh wow, And he was so unrecognizable in the screen test that the studio executive said, wow, who is that guy? Hire him right away and they said, oh, that's my own Brando. Woa.
Speaker 2: I believe I've only seen one Marlon Brando movie.
Speaker 1: Can you name it? You probably saw streetcar named Desire? Nope, No, you know, uh, probably was the Johnny Depp one.
Speaker 2: Nope. I maybe saw that, but I don't think so. The Marlon Brando movie that stands out to me is Superman. He is Superman's birth father.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was on screen for five minutes and made five million dollars.
Speaker 2: Something else I wanted to tell you about that one you just read. Wait it was Oh I know, no one will care, but they filmed one of the Godfathers, like Godfather three or something down the street from my house in Tahoe Yep. Okay. Logan gets fully dressed to get a glass of water in the middle of the night. You need to put a shirt on to get water. Yeah, what if your mom's out there, I don't want her thinking on David Hasselhoff or something.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this.
Speaker 2: Made me laugh so hard because obviously it's a Baywatch joke. David Hasselhoff is an actor known for his roles in The Young and the Restless. Now I'm not sure he's actually known for The Young and the Restless, but I'll allow it. Night Rider Hills, yeah, and Baywatch. David Hasselhoff said a Guinness World Record as the most watched man on TV. I think that's for Baywatch.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So in our work, we meet a lot of celebrities and there are two celebrities that for some reason I just can't, like, can't look him in the face. And I don't know if it's because I loved night Riders so much or why, but one of them is Hasselhoff, and he did something with us and I literally was like, I can't do it. I can't do it. I can't go out there and greet him, I can't talk to him. I can't look him in the face. And I think it's because as a child, I literally loved night Rider so much. I wasn't as much a Baywatch girl, although I can see him running with his shirt off. Ay ready, but Nightrider really did it for me. Can you guess the other celebrity that I just cannot look in the face And I'm gonna have to because I think I'm doing something with him soon because I just get too giddy or something like, I get too weird.
Speaker 1: Like Matthew McConaughey.
Speaker 2: No, it's not what you'd expect. You're gonna have to go way back to the sixties and seventies to guess.
Speaker 1: It, Angie Dickinson.
Speaker 2: I'll leave it as a tease. People can guess online. Try to guess the other celebrity that I just get And I've admitted this place as before. I think like that, I just get too weirded out and I can't. I can't act normal, That's what I'll say.
Speaker 1: I can't act normal, right, got it?
Speaker 2: Yep out? As a tease. People also still want to hear about the dream that you were in that.
Speaker 1: I'll tell do tell. I mean, I'm all ears hell. I'll even take.
Speaker 2: Notes someday, I'll tell all right.
Speaker 1: Well, we could do a whole podcast on it. We can do it. Sure. People love that Susan to bring us on home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was my turn anyways, So it works out. Logan is trying to sell the hay bail mase to a young kid at the Spring Fling Festival and he says, oh, man, am I glad I got out of that water slide park so I could come to the hay bail mays Laura, I says, take it down. Olivier Laurence Olivier was a well known figure of the British stage and screen, and is well known for known for his Shakespearean roles in classics such as Wuthering Heights and Marathon Man. And did you know? Olivier was married three times, with his most famous spouse being actress Vivian Lee.
Speaker 2: Wow, good end, good line for sure.
Speaker 1: And Laurence Olivier was considered the greatest actor in the world at the time. And he said no, no, no, no, no, no, no no. He goes and he did Julius Caesar with Brando, and Brando played Mark Antony and he said, Brando's up here, everybody else is way below him. And he had to audition for the Godfather. That's yeah, that's why I don't want my son in this business. Wow.
Speaker 2: Seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is so anyway. Uh, that's a wrap on pop culture. Thank you everybody for your downloads. It was it was good, right yea, some good juicy stuff.
Speaker 2: See you next week. It's just like rinding bike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see you next week. And Susanne Amy, thank you so much. Good do what you're without you wouldn't do it without you. And just remember we and I I'm all in. Stay safe everyone, Hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com