Speaker 1: David Arquette is an actor and if you didn't know, he was a former professional wrestler too. He is best known for his role as Dewey Riley and the slasher film franchise Scream, as well as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Never Been Kissed and more. You can also catch him in Missus Davis streaming on Peacock. This is just be with David Arquette. What are you running around? What's so important that you're doing? I'm powdering my face? What's all? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Nothing? I just have a show coming out, just doing this and I went golfing for a little earlier.
Speaker 1: So you are in LA.
Speaker 2: I'm in Nashville.
Speaker 1: Oh right, you moved to Nashville. And what was what precipitated that move?
Speaker 2: I have two kids with my wife, Christina, and she wanted to raise the boys outside of a big city like LA. She's from Arkansas. So my daughter still she's eighteen now she lives in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: But and that was a big thing. I think a lot of people did that to Nashville in particular during the and Texas from LA during pandemic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's been interesting, you know, I grew up in La so it's been a bit hard for me. But you know, it's a calmer life here and too sweet. We've got a nice little community.
Speaker 1: So I have had so many people on here and you're reading about you was honestly, if the most interesting, if not one of the most. I mean it was really There was so many things I read about you that I would never have known. And you're my era, you're my generation, like you're someone I read about in you know, the magazines and tabloids and senior movies. So I was shocked that there were all these things I didn't know about you that were surprising, like many multi layered, I think, yeah, really interesting, really interesting. So reading that the only thing that was not a surprise was reading that you're an introvert. That was that comes across in your persona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a really hard it's getting more. I'm getting more comfortable in social situations. But it's a roller coaster.
Speaker 1: It's a roller coaster, and sometimes I don't think being an introvert is something that people really think and understand is real. And I meet people, I know some people that have been living a life as an extrovert, uncomfortably, but they actually are an introvert. And I think as you get older and into your fifties, you start to think about that because just because you have a personality doesn't mean you want to interact, you know, like reading about you. Like I don't like to transact. I don't like a lot of like talking to someone and like can I get your room key? And how you having your day, and like interacting a lot, Like I get anxiety from transacting. So, and I was just talking to someone who said that she has been living her life as an introvert. I mean as an extrovert, but is really an introvert. So how do you gravitate towards the entertainment industry as an introvert?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know I used to, I mean aside from uh, you know, my career acting or whatever, but just in life. I used to drink to kind of combat that, and it was like this ego kind of juice for me, and it would just give me like this. But I've realized that a lot of my behavior when I did that, it's kind of like the cringey, embarrassing stuff that I don't want to repeat. So I don't drink anymore, and and it's had me sort of be able to have to sit with myself, get comfortable with myself, sort of find other things that help with that. Exercise, being creative, like different things like that help with that. But as an actor, I don't know, I'm you know, there's some things where I don't know. I think that's why I drink or wear stupid clothes in the past, just to kind of like, you know, to like, okay, look at me. You know what I mean, like, yes, look at me, so that I you know, I don't know, I feel it easier to if somebody's looking at me, if I have the spotlight, if I'm on stage two, then you know, shine or whatever.
Speaker 1: Or well they can talk about that, but it's not really you. It's like it's like a distraction. It feels like right when you're not being right, like look at this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you then you're like, oh, what are these feelings and why am I feel? How do I let this sort of you know, heavy feeling kind of pass and breath through it. And it's especially hard being a parent because it's just like, oh, you deal with all these triggering things from your past. I just realized, like when I'm in a car with a bunch of kids, like they're screaming, like it's getting out of control. Something triggers in me, like yah, traveling across the country that just I don't know what it is, and I have to like literally say to my kids, listen, not you, but I'm getting a lot of anxiety. Can you just kind of tone it down?
Speaker 1: I can make you feel I don't. I think it's funny when you hear like your kids in the back on TikTok and the noises and you're just like, like these little things happen that you just want none of it. Once you've heard it once, anytime you hear it even for a second, you can't even you know, you can't handle. But that's also age. Like if I don't like anything repetitive, like any kind of music that's repetit, I can't handle any even if it's like Mozart, I can't handle repetition. So we're all getting crazier or or more authentically who we really are. So I guess if you had to be a reality star or you had to just be yourself, that would be harder than being another character because that gets to be some sort of like a shield.
Speaker 2: Right a little. I just a couple of years ago, I did a documentary called You Could Not Kill David or Cat, and it sort of focuses on my love of wrestling. And I did a wrestling movie and I was they made Meet the Champion and wrestling fans got really upset. So I went back to sort of prove myself. And in a sense, it's kind of a little snapshot of my reality or my world within this wrestling sort of place. But I don't know, there's something kind of liberating about being able to just be yourself and not hide behind a character and just like accept me for my flaws and like, you know, standing your flaws, and also like I'm justlexic, so I'm the type that takes those flaws and figures out a way to like make it work for me in a better way, for you know, a way that sort of helps me find Yeah, are you?
Speaker 1: But the wrestling thing was a real thing. It's a it was a role that turned into a real thing, which sounds like it's funny because I feel like when I was waking up this morning, I was thinking about everything I read last night. I wanted to say it sounded like a midlife transition. It sounded like a midlife blank that I can say, like now I'm a wrest Like it sounds like a new identity, but so unusual. So it's not a hot It wasn't a hobby. You weren't just doing jiu jitsu on the side. You were like a wrestler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what the heck?
Speaker 1: Explain that.
Speaker 2: It's a really interesting form of entertainment. I don't think it's like understood by people. I think it's like brushed off as it being this, but it's a lot complex and detailed, and there's all of these nuance to it when you get into it. And like I toured for a couple of years doing independent shows and wrestling all throughout the country. So and I trained in Tijuana with luchadors and really, yeah, it was a lot of fun. It was because they almost died.
Speaker 1: So wow, it's so super dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole lesson. Yeah. I got stabbed in the neck at one point, but it was a mistake. I was in something called death match. But you know, I learned something like why am I beating myself up? I was asking myself that, and it went down to like, also, I had had alcohol abuse in the past and just you know, came from an abusive background. So I was like, why am I like beating myself up so much? And then you know, understanding that and how not to do that and how to sort of like then lean into self care and you know, really taking care of your needs kind of helped a lot. It captured this point in my life where you know, all of that was coming together and uh, I don't know, it was a I was really sort of opened. You know. You see me do a therapeutic ketamine treatment in the in the movie. It's pretty intense.
Speaker 1: Wow. So the wrestling was was was harmful to yourself or healing because you're saying you were beating yourself.
Speaker 2: Up with physically harmful Yeah, to your body, it's completely destructive, but to your to my mental in my sort of self confidence, it was really like it got me to be in the moment a lot more. There's the thing about wrestling. When you're first learning it, you're like pitter pattering your feet a lot, and once you like learn how to settle in and then slow time down and then you get your moves really crisp and you like make it look really painful, but you're actually not hurting the person at all. It's a pretty magical dance once you figure it out.
Speaker 1: And do you do it at all? Now? Are you left that behind?
Speaker 2: No, I don't do it at the moment. I'm not completely like I love the business and the fans so much that I'm not like I'm open to having some fun in that world again. But what it also did was I loved wrestling as a kid, and it's also sort of my love for Boso the clown. Like certain things that I've loved as a kid, I want to like hold onto those things to so my kids can experience them, so they also can sort of enjoy it. So we could go to wrestling matches together, or we could go to the circus or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: I know, Boso's your whole life. So Boso's also my generation, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I fell in love with Boso when I was like three or four years old in Chicago in Evanston, and he was really big at the time on WGN and Bob Bell played Boso and I just fell in love with it. So then I started studying clown. Recently, we're doing a documentary about that, and oh, it's not.
Speaker 1: Just Boso, it's the whole art of the clown, like the whole life of the clown.
Speaker 2: We're sort of using Bozo in a sense to sort of bring the brand back, but in a sense help bring back kind clowns and fun clowns and silly clowns and not just scary clowns, because scary clowns are sort of taking up all the air in the room.
Speaker 1: Do you know Eric stone Street?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love Eric and I know he's a trained clown.
Speaker 1: Oh you do. I was gonna say, because he's Yeah, that's crazy, Like he's definitely the only train clown I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love for him to come play it. I love the stuff they did on Modern Family involving clowns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's full, he's full. I mean, it's not going to be that hard. It's going to be hard to cast the clown world because there aren't that many other people. So he might be able to get some sort of part in whatever you're doing because he's the string.
Speaker 2: Such a cool world. Like when you learn clown, there's a few things like it's a gift that you're presenting to the to the audience, or whatever. So it's not like you're asking for anything in return, So you're just kind of putting it out there, and it's a skilled performance that you've sort of crafted for them. But that's the gift. So and if you could tap into that like light lightness in your heart like when we were children, that brightness in our eyes where your clown lives and when like the idea is like, if we could get more people like understanding that and being able to laugh at themselves and laugh with each other, but not laughing at people or causing people pain. You know, there's a a this an old poster right there that's about being funny, like being funny in the right way, but not.
Speaker 1: That's so true because I literally when I think of clown, the last interaction with a clown that I've had is watching that Walmart commercial when the clown stepped on that like sharp unicorn. Do you did you ever see that commercial?
Speaker 2: Remember this?
Speaker 1: It's a it's actually so there's a kid's party and they're all sitting there and the clown is being a clown and entertaining them. You gotta look it up, and he accidentally steps on like a sharp like unicorn toy and screams at the top of his lungs, and it's just it's hilarious, Like it's a very edgy for Walmart commercial because it's just so irreverent. It was really funny. But it wasn't laughing at the cloud, and it wasn't it wasn't making fun of the clown, and it wasn't the kids like laughing in like an innocent way at the clint. It was the clown totally just making a mistake. And I was I was crying at this commercial. I don't know why. I just remember it. You have to go see it. If that's if that's this brand adjacent. And so your relationship was extremely public, and I guess that's because you were both very famous at that time for different reasons, and because Courtney was, you know, on the biggest show of all time and that was like that moment and thank god there was no social media then. It was just reading the magazines. But and I didn't realize it lasted so long as a fourteen year marriage, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somewhere around there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's successful, especially you know, by Hollywood standards, by anyone's standards, But in my mind, it was a couple of years and then I read and I was like, wait, they were married for fourteen years and it was very public. And it's beautiful that you say that you are like in your great co parents, like give a beautiful relationship. You're in each other's lives besides the kids child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ultimate respect and love for each other. It's all about Coco and it's all about you know, being that example for a healthy relationship even if it doesn't work out. And that sort of started when we, you know, we got separated and that was in public for a long time. But when it came to the divorce, I personally believe that a lot of people spend most of the money on lawyers when they sitting it. And you know, if you can be reasonable and rational and sort of approach it in a way where you're both have your child's future in your on your mind, I think you can really do magical things and save a lot of money. We had a mediator and she said it was the cheapest she never charged her clients.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's that's about the two people. That is one that's the most admirable thing whenever I hear that, because it is really really rare. More it's more rare than being a wrestler that's into clowns. I think, yeah, it's rare. And that's a role model, you know, because also for your kids, you want to be show them a positive relationship in many forms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, for sure. And Christina is just incredible. She's really me. She helped me get through that. I mean, I was super damaged by the time we had met, and there was a lot of like you know, shrapnels she had to deal with at that time. So once we made it through and just sort of worked on ourselves individually and then came back together, it's really been beautiful. As far as a different take, we just realized, like, you know, there's like a passion to arguing and like, you know, that push and pull of a relationship. But once you like drop the scarf and you know, you listen to each other's needs and boundaries and you start like, you know, really are clear about all that. I don't know, there's a really beautiful thing that happens when you don't argue. I think I think fighting is pretty much the biggest waste of time on this planet. You know, the things that you know, it's important to like, you know, stand firm for what you need and all that stuff. But I think, I don't know, I like everyone to win. You know, it's crazy, but I like like when things work for everybody.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, you're describing a lot of any business relationship. This should be a little bit of a rub and everyone's a little uncomfortable, but ultimately happy, ultimately satisfied.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's so many things that happen within that world that are also like, I don't know, just it's it's a crazy world. When you see some people get cut through, I don't know, some people do business in a really different way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's the same. It's very very having been through both in a very intense way, had a ten year divorce on a two year marriage, so having been through an serious business career and that it's it's it is oddly similar. So I can't ask for cautionary tales because you were married for fourteen years, so that to me is a successful marriage. It just sounds like different when in different directions. So I would have asked you if like you got married too young or something. But I do think it was successful, So I different directions.
Speaker 2: I think just in general, you should never let your you know, you have to be independent, but you can be independent, you know, in a parallel way, not in a moving away from each other way. And once you start to get too far, just leave the room for other people to like utter needs to like kind of come up, and you know, factors within the relationship. I think, I think you just have to keep it. Like I think relationships move apart in general, but you have to just keep coming and really staying close.
Speaker 1: Get back to center, because once you've gone too far, it's hard to get back. How could so know if your paths are gonna separate them? Would that mean that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: What you can't know? So like marriage shouldn't seem like something that has to last forever. I'm just you know what I'm saying, Like, I don't how could someone know?
Speaker 2: I listen. I think it's all relative and you can, like, you know, I understand a lot of people not wanting to get married anymore, not wanting to have kids. I totally get it, Like it's too choice and it's beautiful and you know, and there's also people change and you go through things that maybe you do like kind of outgrow each other or you're not you know, that type of partner anymore. You can be friends, but you're not just not romantic or whatever it is in your relationship. But I don't know, I think as long as you know it's not toxic, like that's where you want to really avoid those kind of you know, bickering and like the kind of stuff that just I don't know, it becomes like a drag on your life, right, well.
Speaker 1: Like a crack becomes a crater. But it sounded and reading about you like like maybe marriage isn't really for the young because it sounds like you now admit that it's hard, which I admit that relationships are hard to and not a one size fits all. When we're younger, I think you think you're supposed to be married in a way that you're supposed to be married, versus when you're older, you kind of a la carte menu, like curate your own marriage, like relationship. I'm in a relationship with someone who lives in a different state, like you know, And but it works because in the beginning we were trying to force it to be what it was supposed to be, and once you actually realize who you actually are and what the dynamic actually is, and then make that work. You're kind of swimming under the wave instead of fighting the wave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean, that's awesome because.
Speaker 1: You're as you say, you admit that it's hard. Like if someone doesn't admit that it's hard, I think there's the thing wrong with them like that. And I'm being too judgmental, but like, are you what something will crack at some point? How could two people be like clones that want the exact same thing. It doesn't make any sense to.
Speaker 2: Me, No, me, no, right, yeah, especially if you're you know, I was once with my therapist. It's like and he's like, you like strong women. That's just the reality you're gonna you know, you wouldn't be happy with somebody who was more subservient in the sense because you just like, you know, somebody who's strong, who's like a powerful woman. And I was like, yeah, that's true. You know. So with that comes you know, very strong opinion, like you know what I mean, you have to.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I'm that I'm that strong. Yeah. Well, you like to wrestle, and when.
Speaker 2: You understand that, there's a beauty to it. If you have an ego about it, it can be a complete disaster because then you're like you're caught up in all these things that have nothing to do with your actual relationship and your dynamic together, right, Like.
Speaker 1: You can't you can't walk in and buy something in a store and then wonder why you got what you walked in to buy, Like you like strong women. So then you can't you know what I mean, You can't want a dog to be a cat. You you adopted a dog, you didn't adopt a cat. You know it's not gonna be a cat.
Speaker 2: That being said, my wife did adopt fair dog at one point. You know, there was some some healing I had to do. Let's see.
Speaker 1: So Scream has been an indelible part of your career and has that been amazing? What's your relationship with that entire experience?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's been completely amazing, as far as got to work with Wes Craven, which was incredible gift. He was a real mentor and uh really fabulous director. Then I met Courtney and then my daughter Cocoa, which is just like everything in the world. So I mean, just that alone, but then you know, being part of this new franchise and the fifth one, getting to work with Melissa and Jenna and the new directors Matt and Tyler. It was it was great. I think they're it's just a fun thing to be a part of. You meet these people at the fans at these different conventions or whatever, and they're just so touched. Like we met in our first movie and we've been married for ten years. It's like just these really beautiful moments. And also that it like span this amount of time and that it's like connected with people and when people have our fans are kind of like serious fans, so it's really like been important to them for twenty five years. So when you start doing that, start talking, I don't know, there's something really sweet. I have a relationship with fans where it's like they kind of feel like they're my friends, and I feel like, which is a good way to be. I've seen the other dynamic where it's more like old movie star style. It's nice not for me.
Speaker 1: Well has that what's been? And you own Bootsy Bellows where I've been? Isn't there one in Aspen?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, and so that was your concept. That doesn't seem that does not seem like you at all. Someone came to you with the concept or you created the concept.
Speaker 2: We have puppets, so that might be right. It's named after my mother. I found her in a like a fifties pinup book and she was ingerie fighting with another lady and I was like, Mom, I was eighteen. I'm like, Mom, I found you in this book. It's like, oh, you know, we weren't really fighting. Like, oh Mom, Like did you ever strip? And she was like no, but I burlest danced a couple of times. It's like, did you have a burlest day ancing name? And she said Bootsy Bellows. So that's why it's named that. I opened it with my two partners, Brian Tole and John Chersey in from the h Wood Group, and they've gone on to open about twenty different places. And yeah, so Bootsies have been great. We have one at Sofi Stadium too for all of the round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're partners and all of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Aspen's a licensing deal, so we have a partner up there Andrew. But aside from that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you business minded a little bit?
Speaker 2: It's not like I'm not the greatest about it. I need business partners. I'm more creative marketing, like I have those kind of things.
Speaker 1: Sounds like, I mean for someone who's more creative than business minded. And first of all the most important thing is to know that, because so many people who are creative have opportunities and then they think that they're like the business part of it, and the chefs do this all the time and it ends up being disaster. And so it's smart to say I'm more creative, but I partner with the right people. But I think it's fascinating that you came. You have two things that really have like gone on for exponential success.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Do you what percentage of your career do you think has been luck and skill? And I consider yeah, luck intelligent skill. I consider skill like knowing the right projects to pick. Also, so what percentage do you think is each?
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of luck in general, just in this business, in whatever business you're going in. I also think a lot of that luck comes from falling down on your face first and then you know, you know, your first experience in the night club industry or my first experience was I learned a lot, I lost a lot. I was then able to go on and create something successful. So the first one I lost a lot. The second one has gone on for ten years now. But yeah, learning from your mistakes is really important, and you know, figuring out how to delegate, how to work with people. The best experiences I've had on a professional level, I mean some of them. We did a game show at one point called Celebrity Name Game, and we got to work with a Fremantle and and just like, yeah, I don't know, just the group that we had brought together, they were just so like, I don't know, just everyone knew their job and did it really well on a very high level. So it was like having this really you know, the pie got cut up a lot more people were just yeah, I don't know. There was just a professional level. So when you the point is when you work with you know, really skilled people, you share with them, but then you you know, you create the boat. Right.
Speaker 1: It's the alchemy, which somebody Ian Schrager said to me about everything coming together alchemy. I like that word. H No, But it sounds like you were an actor and kind of early in diversifying your portfolio and being in these other businesses that are passive income. You know, like you're sleeping and Booty Bell is making money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was mainly like out of a desire not to just go crazy. There's a certain like pretty much let's say November November to through the new year. As an actor, if you haven't booked something, you're just gonna be like excessive three months. And it's during the holidays. It's just really hard. You know, you typically actor, you know, if you're not don't have certain income, if you're a working actor, it literally can be like the hardest time of the years, right around Christmas. It's is so I don't know that.
Speaker 1: No one's ever said that to me before. I did not know. I would never have known that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's changed a little now. It was even hardercore when there were three networks and you know, right, but it's a little better now. But if you haven't booked something and then you go into so for that, I started, you know, making sure I was doing art, making sure I was you know, doing some other business. I started a clothing line for a while with Ben Harper called Proper and you know, took another bath with that. Yeah, but learned. It was like this incredible experience like learning the garment industry and.
Speaker 1: You're usually putting your own money into these things.
Speaker 2: It's like a dumb yeah yeah, okay arts. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what's been the most lucrative business what's been the most lucrative aspect of your entire career. I'm not saying you like tell me what the numbers. I just mean, like, what thing would we be surprised by it?
Speaker 2: I don't know. My wife's just amazing think she she produced the helped produce the They Call Me Magic, the Magic Johnson documentary and being able to I produce it with her. Oh okay, I was a co ep. But being able to work with, you know, a hero of mine like magic and create something that he was proud of, that was really a joy. We also invested in a nonfiction movie studio called XTR and and my friend Tony, she had invested in a movie that got nominated for an Academy Award after he had passed. But that was kind of a big moment, just because it was something he wanted to get nominated for something at Sundance.
Speaker 1: And definitely an investor and I don't that's nowhere written that's interest. You're definitely an investor. You just named like ten different investments over the course of the conversation.
Speaker 2: You're an investor, I mean early seed money, sweat equity. That's like then bring investors for the bigger sort of stuff is sort of what we.
Speaker 1: So, what's been the best thing you've ever invested in?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I've invested in both of the clown It took me fifteen years and it was like a dream of mine from when I was a kid. It wass been more than I you know, anticipated like you kind of need a huge infrastructure and like you know, big time lawyers to kind of handle a ip like this. But it's been really a lot of joy. You know, we're doing music and we're going to do a film and doing a documentary at the moment, which has been fun, like editing with my wife, it's always hilarious.
Speaker 1: From a business perspective, like tell me what, Like I'm not asking numbers, like what has had the best ROI not not emotionally, but like actual business the club or the scream or scream.
Speaker 2: What's the most financially successful?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure is what the club?
Speaker 2: Scream? The scream stuff? Well, the club, you know where the club is is great and incredible. It's more of a if we ever sell it kind of thing that would be then at that point, but right now it's uh, it would be scream.
Speaker 1: But screaming because it has all of the other appearances and all the other things that go with it, and like it's a whole world. Is like being an American idol or something. You keep going on tour and it's a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I kind of met weird like I look for my high marks, not sort of on the financial side. It's more like the little moments of uh, sort of full circle moments. Because I was doing Missus Davis and I'd gotten it from an audition on on the computer, which I never you know, right, for years, you send in these things and you know, you never hear. So I finally got one and it's a really big show. I get to work with these incredible directors and actors. And then I worked on a and it's on the Warner Brothers lot, so I spent a lot of time time they're doing the friends time right moment of I've always loved magicians. I get to play a magician working with Betsy Gilpin, who's just incredible in this show, and Elizabeth Marble and I'm just like, like top tier actors. I just like having this experience and I'm playing a magician and then I look up and I'm on the lot and it's it's Warner Brothers right there, and it's big. We're in the biggest Like.
Speaker 1: It's like getting to feel like what it really was or what you dreamt it would be. And it's like magical. It sounds like it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Back I'm back here.
Speaker 1: No, And it's not like you're doing some weird thing just to piece together like a career and money. Like you're back to like you're an actor and your autut studio, like you know, back Metro Goldwyn Mayer. Like that type of vibe. Yeah, I get it. You're on a lot like that's very iconic.
Speaker 2: Keep fighting, like keep fighting because even right now, I don't know what my next job is. I'm auditioning for things and I'm like going out there and I'm having these meetings and I'm like, you know, you're still just like you know, thirty three years in this business and like training you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that keeps you alive. That's I think that's interesting. It's so funny you say that, because what you're talking about is purpose and way and like I have certain things in my business that are more lucrative than ever. Like I'm doing extremely well. But I don't want to say the word board because I don't want to do too much. Because I like my life the way I like it. So when something comes to me that's gonna be really bulky and weeldy and like stressful, I don't want to do it. But I also don't want to be just like wandering around my house, you know, like am I like you know these slippers I have that have mice on them, like with no So when I do these things like you're talking about, I went to go do a show in Florida for ten days, and like you wake up and like you're in a studio and like you're a person and you're interacting, and like I don't want that to be my whole life. I don't want to be like on a talk show stuff for three out of sixty five days a year. But like you get a little you get a little hit, you got a book, an appearance, get on a plane, you sit in a hotel, you feel like a person again, and then you come back to your nest. But I get what you're saying because it's like, oh, I have purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love when when you can kind of create your reality in your environment. Think, I'm such a fan of Adam Sandler in the way he's worked with his friends, and he's really kind of hated this whole environment. So it's kind of like my idea with the Bozo thing, which I'm trying to put together, is just get this little core group that's not too big, you know what I mean, that doesn't take huge production to do a film, and then you can just hang out these things like a guy named Ernest, the guy who did Earnest. I don't know if you remember him, but like Ernest goes to camp and all these things. Yes, of course, the sort of model where it's just kind of small. You could do it on your own. You can do it this, Yes, hire all your friends. You don't need these huge budgets because you have these big stars, and then you could just go have fun and.
Speaker 1: Like rite totally totally well, that's yeah. I literally was sitting down screwing around a year ago and I became a fifty two year old beauty influencer. Literally I've never known how to do my own makeup. It bothered me because if I was in Ohio, I didn't know how to do it, and so I just started playing around and all these people on TikTok were like, I didn't know they were lying. I didn't know they were filter, but they were like, oh my god, the glue. And I was like, I want that. I'm buying that, and I'm buying that, and then all of a sudden, I was like, wait, is this bullshit? And I started buying all this drug store stuff and comparing it to the stuff that I have that people have given me. That's expensive because I can afford to buy anything. But I was playing around with like cover Girl and the cheap stuff, and it was the same exact thing. And it was like this discovery because I'm talking to like the moms that just want to get out. They have ten minutes to get ready. They're not like these experts. And it exploded and did this crazy thing. And the thing that people like about it is the home made of it. Like I'll go in with bad lighting because I don't even know how to do lighting, going into the dollar store and start buying makeup, and now everybody wants to be in business with me because this thing exploded and I tell you millions and millions of views and now like YouTube series and stuff, and I'm like, but I don't want it to be too perfect. I'm like, I don't want like good production. I want it to be like decent, but I want it to not be too perfect. I'm not if once you make it too perfect, Coca Cola buys you all fucked. Happened to me in my liquor business. Being global, multi billion dollar company comes in, You're fucked because it's not like got the trustworthy spirit of it. So it's like what you're saying totally, and then it wants to be too polished.
Speaker 2: Like does one need as far as like being busy, you know what I mean? Like it almost feels like we're the cycle of like work, we're working. Then it's like, wait a second, it's really nice to go on a walk. It's really yes, yes, the whin it's like, you know, appreciate a ict or something like really kind of like find those moments. That's where That's where I'm kind of like, now I can spend any amount of time with my kids because I can go to like their same game and just sit there.
Speaker 1: Like watch That's what I'm doing today exactly. So you're like me, where you want to not be like Jello, but you also don't want to be in the grind where like everything you're talking about is being on your phone. I got to do this and I got to do that, and like schedule with an interviewer life. That's true balance. I think everyone always makes it like it's the word, you know, that's the true balance, Like just being present in being with your kids at the game today because I'm going to the lacrosse game and then being present in the appearance or the beauty review or the Bozo project, like being present in both not apologizing for either, but also not like working to fill a hole and being Jello, you know, to rebel from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's examples like with Boucies, Boucci is an h Wood. They become really big. So we used to always do these Coachello events every year. Bootsy is with like McDonald's or all these things, and then they just started then rebranding it now is h Wood. Now they're doing them all h Wood at Coachella, and I'm kind of like, you know, for for a second, my ego gets like, wait, Bootsy started that but then I'm like, right, I don't have to participate. I don't have to go to Coachella. I don't have to Not that I did it all the time anyway, but in general, it's just I don't know. I'm all right with like, Okay, you guys shine like they're hustling, like do it.
Speaker 1: That's the age. That's the age, like holding on to everything and realizing it's the under the wave, like you're you're not making any less money and it really doesn't matter, but like it's so true. You just sit there and you're like, that's just putting down all these like obligations and saying yes in the moment because it sounds good because it's just a word, a calendar, And then when it comes you're like, I know, I.
Speaker 2: Have a real I've been holding back my Yeah. I said a little more because I used to very much more like yes, yeah, yeah, okay, yeah yeah yep.
Speaker 1: So you are you have three kids. You have two children with your marriage now, which has been along. This marriage has been for a long time too, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah eight years?
Speaker 1: Eight years?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: And you live in Nashville, and it sounds like you it sounds like you have a decent amount of peace like what used to be. I say, someone said to me, good is great, Like good now is great? Like it's not it's not a it's not action crazy like you know, off on the seat, off the seat of your pants, like jets. I used to be like jet setting everywhere and running around and like how and low as a roller coaster driving with no brakes. But like now life is peaceful and good, and I think that at this point, like that's what you just want, Like no, like really no drama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean little moments of like I don't I don't want to get too wild ever, but little moments of like like I just believe like finding those moments to like laugh at your friends and just like have a really great silly time as long as you can do that, yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you've been sober how many years?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say sober. I don't drink. I will smoke like once in a while, I try not to do it too much.
Speaker 1: But Okay, so you've been you've not you gave up alcohol. But do you call yourself an alcoholic or it just wasn't working for you in your life?
Speaker 2: Acollic. I'm just an addict in general, I'm like, yeah, an ego maniac when I do any of that kind of stuff. But I don't think like pots that bad. If you're like, you know, gonna go to a sleeve or some like that, you know a.
Speaker 1: Little bit and you're not going to play boso in any of these project.
Speaker 2: And its perfect. I've been I've been playing a little bit of boso. We're still figuring it all out, but yeah, I'm going to play bol.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, great. I think that. I mean, respectfully, I think that's perfect, you know what I mean. Like, that's not that I don't like walk up to people like you'd be great at playing boso, but you'd be great at playing boso and your kids all love it.
Speaker 2: I went to Chicago and like I met with the WG AND people and they're all like, well, you're not a Chicago Boso and I was like, maybe I'm an Evanston.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Many wow people. They're very opinionated.
Speaker 1: Did you because you're definitely quirky and I like that, Like, you're not mainstream, so I consider myself kind of mainstream sadly, Did you know who I was? Did your publicist like shove you to meet with me and like do this.
Speaker 2: I am totally for sure I think of me. Yeah, for sure, I'm a view on the on the show. But also all of your business, uh prowess has been incredible, So that's I always look for that, and I always like think that's impressible.
Speaker 1: I would guess that you. I literally if I saw you in a restaurant and someone said, oh, and that's David Arcada, be like, he definitely has no idea who I am. That's what I would say. That's funny. So I'm wrong, And it happens a lot on.
Speaker 2: Here for sure. No, I love those shows too, I mean, for for you know when I watch them. I don't watch them that often. But what is the other thing? I think you guys may have gone to my first night club, Beacher's Mad House at one point. I don't know if you yes?
Speaker 1: Is that is that?
Speaker 2: Where's that at the Roosevelt? That was my first night club. It was at the Roosevelt Hotel. It was called That's Beacher's Madhouse. Y, yes, I did go there.
Speaker 1: I don't know it.
Speaker 2: Wires that would come down at the table with big giant bottles of Champagne. I know it's inappropriate and and it's a different time.
Speaker 1: No, I definitely went there. Yeah, you've had a lot, You've had many lives, David. I think it was what I'm to say, Oh, amazing you have a good memory then, because I went to the place and Aspen too, so I've supported your business endeavors. Well, it was amazing to talk to you, and now I know you and you're very, very interesting, and I literally I was so excited to interview you because when I read all about you, I'm like, this guy is like a lot going on, someone who seems sheepish and quiet. So congratulations on all your success and may continue and love to your family. And I really appreciated talking to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you too.
Speaker 1: Awesome. All right, let me know about Bozo and like whatever's coming up. I live in Connecticut, but I'm in La a lot, So if is ever anything that applies to me, I'll support.
Speaker 2: You for sure. Healthy Humor. We support Healthy Humor, which is the medical clowns that go into fifteen hospitals throughout the county. Oh because they a patient that interacts with a clown before surgery has a forty better outcome it's a statistic crazy Argentina. Every children's hospital has medical clowns in them, so they're really amazing, Like the magical healing that.
Speaker 1: They do that's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: In these hospitals. Yeah, it's called Healthy Humor. So we just did a big event for them at Bootsy Bellows. So if anything, you'll hear on something.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that, all right, Healthy Humor. I love that. It's thinking it's New York is Yeah, amazing Okay, and.
Speaker 2: Then they were the charity when they separated, and now they're Healthy Humor.
Speaker 1: You're into everything. This is amazing. Really, you're really touching so many different things. Okay, is there anything we forgot to talk about? Like anything you want to promote it? As it pertains to scream or bozo.
Speaker 2: Beating America is another charity I do a lot of work with.
Speaker 1: I've worked with Feeding America because we do relief work and we've we've had for uh for Hurricane Maria. You were one of the first groups we met with.
Speaker 2: If you ever need any any help in that department. I love Feeding America. They're a beautiful organization.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, because we've met them on tarmacs and brought food on planes to go to different relief relief zones. Amazing, so good to meet you and have an amazing day.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Awesome, David. Oh the people you get to meet on just be That was David Arquette, someone that is my generation and I've read about him so much and I'm so lucky that I get to just meet these people that are people, because the truth is we just think of them as characters, as headlines, as tabloids, as people's as characters in movies, and like that's He's a person. He's a cool person, and now I know him, and like this has been such an education. I'm just I don't know, it's just so exciting. Like I read about him, Like what the hell he had so much going on? Why would I know about it? I don't know him, but now I know him. Now you guys know him and support him. So thank you so much for listening. Remember to rate, review and subscribe. That was David Arquette. Very interesting guy.