Speaker 1: Basketball season is heating up with big plays and even bigger wins, and we've teamed up with DraftKings to get you in on the games. Yes, DraftKings just dropped a brand new way to play daily fantasy sports with Pick six. Right now, all new customers, well, you can make your first pick set and get up to fifty dollars back and Pick six credits after playing just five dollars in their first pick step. That's right, You just have to play five dollars and you'll get fifty dollars back in Pick six credits. Pretty good. Getting started is simple. Download the DraftKings app Pick six and sign up using the code Bullyball. Track your lineup, compete against others. You'll get a shot at a huge cash prize. So just download the Draft Kings Pick six app. You can do that now, sign up with the code Bullyball. That's code bullyball only on DraftKings Pick six. The crown is yours. You already know. I'm locked into the NBA schedule and what games are coming up, but sometimes when there are great concerts in town, I don't realize it until it's almost too late. So when I'm trying to grab last minute tickets. Game Time always has my back, from sports to concerts. Game Time is the fastest way to buy tickets for all the events near you, and with last minute deals, all in prices, views from your actual seat that you can see beforehand, and their best price guaranteed. That's right. Game Time is the only ticketing app that gives you complete peace of mind with your purchase. You can even see the view from your seat really before you buy, so you know exactly what to expect. And with zone deals, you pick the section and the game Time picks the seats for you for big savings. The game Time guarantee means you will always get the best price, and if you find tickets in the same section and row for less, game Time will credit you one hundred ten percent of the difference. Takes the guesswork out of buying tickets with game Time. Download the game Time app, create an account and use the code Bullyball for twenty dollars off your first purchase. That's right, Bullyball twenty dollars off. Download the game Time app today, last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed.
Speaker 2: Man ever since I've been retired. The truth is I've been staying busy. I'm working on becoming a multi sport athlete. Any day, anytime. I'm the amateur best in the world. I've even become a Papa shot king. I gotta stay competitive for the kids.
Speaker 3: I'm not stoppable ball mag Come on now, who won't smoke? I've been staying in shake.
Speaker 2: And with everything I got going on, I've been really trying to stay on top of my social media game. Wait, am alive?
Speaker 3: Didn't mean to do that again.
Speaker 2: You know I love the grill and I'll become a master of the culinary arts.
Speaker 3: Man, what's next?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 2: I'm a start my all the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Bullyball, presented by DraftKings. I'm Rachel Nichols. That is always as to Marcus Cousins. And look who we got in the building today. A mean l hass and welcome my friend.
Speaker 4: I'm still alive. My voice is a little shot, but I'm still alive.
Speaker 1: Well, all three of us were in India this weekend, so we're all a little worse for wear. Everybody everyone kind of some slack here today. I do want to start with All Star weekend. Some good things. Look, let's talk about Stephan Sabrina for just a second. This was organic. It felt amazing. The moment was incredible. I was lucky enough to be in the building so I didn't have to hear Kenny Smith ruined the moment on top of what was going on, which was great. I thought it was phenomenal that they both put themselves out there like that. I mean, I know most of the other players in that building would not have done that, frankly, and the fact they're already talking about next year maybe bringing in Caitlyn Clark and Klay Thompson in and making it a double thing or something like that, I thought it was incredible. We love that, right, book, I do, man.
Speaker 5: I think that was an incredible, you know deal. Definitely the highlight of the weekend, which is kind of a good thing and bad thing to be said, but like I said, I think that was a really dope thing. It definitely added some excitement to the weekend. It was something, it was something different that we hadn't seen before. And obviously, I think when it comes to fixing that issue of you know, actually making the weekend competitive, yeah, bring in the girl and give her a chance to kick your ass and we gonna definitely see guys come out there and compete, and that's what we got to see. So hopefully we might have to start adding some females to the mix in general, just to excite, uh, you know, put a little more energy into too the weekend.
Speaker 1: So if you want to improve something, bring a woman in. That's all I'm saying. Go ahead me No.
Speaker 4: At this point, I'm excited about any star that wants to come and play hard. You're a star, you want to play hard, that's it is sold. You come right away because we'll get to it. But we need to get some of these guys out.
Speaker 1: Of here, all right, We'll get to it. Get to it. So what are you your problems? Besides the weather? I mean, went on a weekend long Twitter die trib about the weather. But besides the weather, what do you want to get to about what's wrong with All Star Weekend.
Speaker 4: That's a conversation I'll have with the commissioner directly. But as far as the All Star Weekend and imost, I'm going to start with Sunday because Sunday is the biggest problem. We had a game where we had three total fouls. If you added up every foul by every person.
Speaker 3: And gave it a one.
Speaker 4: Dude, he still wouldn't be in foul trouble even in the first half of a game. Right, Three total fouls, three total shot box guys openly walking through the motions, Guys telling you in their comments to the media, I don't care, it's not important, it's not a big deal. I'm just like, look, people, I hate when people say, oh, the eighties in the night. You don't have to go that far back, DeMarcus. When you played in the All Star Game, y'all played hard. Kobe Duwayne Wade, Carmelo, Anthony Lebron.
Speaker 6: All of these guys played hard in an.
Speaker 4: All Star game. They put on a show. Did they die for loose balls and have flagrant fouls?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: But you didn't also just say, all right, go ahead, just lay it up. Okay, I'm gonna throw a full court he gonna lay it up over there. And the problem with all of these guys is they don't understand that it's messing with the money. It's not about paying them extra money. It's about, Hey, TNT pays a lot of money for this thing, and we're up against a new media deal, and that money feeds br which feeds the salary cap, which feeds what the max salaries are. So if TNT or whoever gets the rights next year to say I don't want to do this anymore, well, I don't want to pay that much. That affects everybody, brings the money down, So I just don't work.
Speaker 1: So far from that happening. I mean, that's the problem is there's not a connection there because you know, the next media deal, the money is going to go up. It's going to go up. Whether it goes up, yes, it's going to go I'm willing to sit here and say that they will make more money from the next media right steel than they did from the last one. And like until that connection actually gets made, Like I don't see that. I don't see that, Hey, it's going to mess with our money. I don't see that actually sinking in. Why would it. It's not messing with anyone's money.
Speaker 6: Is there my fault? Book?
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this, because you're a name that I brought up in this way. Is there a way we get like recently retired players and people from the Players Association to convince guys to hey man, this is serious.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that's the problem right there. As a competitor, you know, as an All Star, all of these things come with a responsibility. So and that responsibility is to go out there and compete, like simple as that. So the fact that you have to be convinced that's a problem like that doesn't make sense. This is your job. This is what you do on an everyday basis. This is your occupation. So when you clock into your occupation, you should be a professional about it.
Speaker 3: And that's just going out there, playing harder, competing.
Speaker 5: Like you said, it shouldn't be guys out there diving on the floor and things that and that just because nobody wants to get hurt in a game.
Speaker 3: That really doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: But it does matter to these fans, it does matter to the league, It does matter for everybody else that's coming behind us.
Speaker 3: It does matter.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, everybody wants to leave with their health and all of that. So obviously you want to create some type of a balance. But just as far as putting on a good show, just being competing at some type of a level, give me more than sixty percent, you know what I mean. I feel like that's our responsibility. So the fact that you're asking, can we convince them that's the issue right there, Like it shouldn't even have to come to that.
Speaker 1: It's not like people didn't try. Right going into this game, Adam Silver talked about how it was going to be more competitive. Joe Dumars go and talk to several of the players about how important it was to the league and to the TV rights and everything else for us to be competitive. Guys told me they were talking on the bench that, like Trey Young said that he and Donnam Mitchell we're talking on the bench afterward about how it could be more competitive, and yet it's not actually happening. And there's you know, some people have come up with with tweaks, right. Bill Simmons came out and said that, you know, we shouldn't have a three point line in the All Star contest, just to get everybody back to sort of you know, play and playing more competitive ball. Because it's true. I had guys say to me afterward, Like Paul George said to me afterward, He's like, look, we're not playing foll We're not picking guys up from ninety feet and Dame's hitting these shots from from half court and what are you supposed to do to defend that in an All Star Game. I get that, and the skill level there is super high. But yes, the idea of maybe removing the three point line, you know, for me, my little tweak like that would be like, let's require all first year All Stars to be in the dunk contest. If it's your first year in the All Star Game, you have to be in the dunk contest. And I understand that dunkin's hard on the body, but these are younger going to be younger players with that rule, So I don't know. That's my crazy rule I do. The biggest issue though, is priorities. This is where the NBA has to decide what is most important to them because being an All Star weekend, what appears to be most important is sponsorship opportunities. Right, it's the sponsors. It is a weekend that the league has turned into for the sponsors to have great tickets to the game. The sponsors have these players running around and doing ten obligations over a twenty four hour period. I'm not saying they're too tired to play basketball. I don't buy that. I'm just saying that it is message to them over and over through the weekend that the game is an afterthought. It's literally the last thing out of fifteen things that they are being asked to do. If you are deciding that sponsors are the most important part of the weekend, the building is going to be absolutely dead like it was on Sunday. People are not going to give players and yell at them and give them a hard Can you imagine if a Rocker Park crowd was in there and guys didn't bother defending. Can you imagine how the fans would get on these players and embarrass them and make them want to compete harder, of course, but instead.
Speaker 7: It was just I mean, there is a point I looked at at the lower bowl in the first half and there was maybe a quarter of the seats for empty, and you're looking at that being like, okay, again, it's up to the players to play.
Speaker 1: I am not shifting responsibility. I am just saying that you create an environment that feels bigger or smaller, and it feels smaller with all these sponsors. And it comes back to again priorities. It's like the sixty five game rule and how do we get load management to stop? The priority for each owner is winning a championship, which is fair, which is fine, But that is the reason why owners complain in the boardroom about load management the TV deal and then tell their own teams, hey, it's okay if you load manage because I want my guys fresh for the playoffs. You have to decide what's most important. And I don't think the league as a whole, from players to the league office to the sponsors on down, has put a competitive All Star game is their actual highest priority. All these other things are taking a front seat.
Speaker 3: Damn, you hit it on the head right. You hit it on the head right.
Speaker 1: You just have to decide what's most important.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more. I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 5: And we've spoken on this briefly before where it's also where we do have to create a balance for these All Star guys, and hey, hey, if it comes to a situation to where you know, we don't want the All Stars to have to do all the because at the end of the day, this is a business. We do need these All Stars and superstar players and NBA guys in general.
Speaker 3: We need them to network and push these sponsors. We need all of that.
Speaker 5: Like all of this matters, but in this case, it has to be some type of a balance to where these all Stars can get the rest that's necessary. Maybe it's an idea where we bring in other NBA guys that didn't make All Star or a borderline All Star, and they're the ones that's connecting throughout the weekend, networking with these sponsors, and we do get these All Stars the opportunity to get some rest. Or maybe it's cutting half to where it's a little bit of the All Stars, a little bit of the guys that were borderline, you know what I mean. So it has to has to be some type of a balance in order to get the perfect, you know, solution at the end.
Speaker 3: It is so I agree with you one hundred percent, Rachel.
Speaker 6: It's there's you know, economics.
Speaker 3: There's a way to handle this.
Speaker 4: If I have If I'm selling one hundred tickets for five dollars a pop, they sell out real quick, right, So what do I do. I raise the price to the point where like, okay, now people are waiting and seeing.
Speaker 6: So it's the same thing here.
Speaker 4: If there are so many sponsors and they're all willing and they all want All Stars there, then it's on the league to raise the price for those sponsors you want to you want to get Kawhi Leonard in here is going to cost this much versus some of the younger All Stars will cost this much. But Rachel and Boogie, I want to I want to put a spotlight on someone else who has some control in this situation that we haven't talked about, and it's the coaches, because in every one of these disappointing All Star games, there are players that do take it seriously and at least give some effort.
Speaker 6: I thought Damian Lillard did, Danna Sano did down clearly, Devin Booker right.
Speaker 4: So what I want to see from the coaches is, hey, I know Luca was a starter. If he's doing that, sit his ass down, put book in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Your rival is going to be playing your minutes, and you gotta sit your ass down here and play eight or nine minutes for the game. And let's see if you like All Start Weekend as much and if not, don't be an All Star. I mean this as someone who loves Luka Doncic's game. I think he's incredible. I think it's only a matter of time before he becomes an MVP and a champion in this league. But what he did on Sunday night, Doug, I don't want that. If that's how you're gonna be, just sit down, it's cool. You don't want to play, Just don't play. Play the guys who want to play. And I think the coaches have some responsibility in that. In that regard, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: No, no doubt. And by the way, all this concern about injuries, I do want to say this, and you had a lot of guys after say well, hey, at least no one got hurt. We wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. You guys, I mean, maybe you have better memories than me. The only injury significant in an All Star Game I can remember, and obviously I don't go back more than you know twenty five years here is Dwayne Wade broke Kobe's nose, right, and that's the only one I can remember. And like that wasn't something that hampered Kobe for the rest of the calendar. Gear I mean, I just I don't know. I think that the fear of being injured in All Star Game is a little overwrought to the point where it's kind of an excuse for everything, and look, we had a guy at the Super Bowl who got injured walking on the field, so there's always going to be some fluke stuff somewhere. But I think that's an overwrought concern as well. I do want to move on. You mentioned the coaches. You mentioned Damian Lillard dame owned All Star. I mean, I mean he won MVP, he won the three point Contest, he had a great outing. Doc Rivers. I don't know. He hasn't had that many wins with the Bucks, but he won the All Star Game with the team that was considered the less stacked team. Still, things not going well in Milwaukee fired each well when the Bucks fired Adrian Griffin. Guys, I just want to remind you of the numbers that Griff have put together a thirty and thirteen start to the season. They are now three and seven in their first ten games under Doc. There's been a lot of criticism of Doc Rivers, both you know, online but also I mean, you know, in a lot of player circles and a lot of sort of behind the scenes stuff. There's been a lot of well what did you expect? Kind of thing. I did speak to Doc at All Star and I want you, guys, to listen to what he told me about. It wasn't just the Bucks who wanted him. Guys, so Milwaukee's getting getting criticism right now, But he said this, I.
Speaker 8: Had committed to taking a year off. I had two other teams that had already called doing the season, and we wouldn't even take the interview. And you know, this one came about, and I thought that, you know, just the fact that it was the teams you know from where I went to school at and the type of team, the starter, like this is the all star starter.
Speaker 4: We just did forty minutes.
Speaker 8: I told all the guys that we have to beat and I'm playing them all forty minutes in the game of borrow.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So yeah, it was just it was a lot. And yeah, it was like I was joking. They put me on a clock. It's not like I had a week to decide. So it was a tough one.
Speaker 1: Can I ask who the other two teams were?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, try, it was good.
Speaker 3: That was a good try.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, so two teams want to go, So Bookie, we got to guess.
Speaker 6: We gotta do some some guesswork here. You won't go first? Or should I go first?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: You go ahead, you go first, all right, I'm guessing the guy that just got fired would be one of them. So I would say Brooklyn would be one of those situations where they hit up Doc and said, what do you think?
Speaker 5: Okay, I agree, I can see that scenario. I'm gonna say the Lakers.
Speaker 1: It's been speculation since he said I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Say the Lakers for sure.
Speaker 5: I don't think aud and prying around, and you know, they kind of they kind of get off on knowing that they did things under the radar, like you know what I mean, So they liked the element of surprise.
Speaker 3: So I can definitely see the Lakers being that other team.
Speaker 1: Well, the Bucks are the ones who got him. And let me tell you how it's going. They lost right before the break to a Memphis team. This was the game they had before the All Star break. Memphis was starting starting two guys on ten day contracts starting, and by the way, I think one of them had just gotten there like two days earlier, so like not even like guys on like multiple back to back ten days who had you know, been in with the system or anything. Started two players who are on ten days. Jannis afterward had a lot to say. Here was his quote. He said, we have to want it. Man, Enough with the talking, enough with the our shit don't stink mentality. Do we really want it? Are we putting in the work? And then he said, guys are tired. That's an excuse, new coach, that's an excuse, the system, excuse, new defense, excuse, he goes all of it, excuse. So, but what is your worry level for the Bucks right now they're sitting in third in the East.
Speaker 5: It definitely should be, you know, some concern, nothing nothing severe, because these are all very fixable, you know problems. I agree with Janni's like, at some point the players have to you know, self reflect and look at themselves.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 5: The coach isn't playing the game. Uh, the players are. Uh, it's no excuse. You can't blame the coach. You can't blame the system, you can't blame it. This is a team with two guys on ten day contracts, and not to ever knock any you know guy at this level with their abilities, but we're talking about a team that's.
Speaker 1: Starting starting, yes, talking.
Speaker 5: About five NBA starters to all stars against a team that's just trying to stay afloat and hopefully sell some tickets and get their star player back next year. Like, it's two different scenarios, So it's no excuse to ever drop games like that. It does happen, but in their situation where they're trying to write this ship right before the playoffs, it's no excuse for that. There's got to be a lot more urgency with this team. You kind of watch them and you know, outside of Dame and Janni's being the stars that they are, like, you could just see the problems within that the chemistry isn't quite there. You can tell that some guys don't really enjoy playing one another. You could tell that guys aren't happy for the next guy. We've seen a few clips from Big feather Brook Lopez where he's kind of, you know, giving Dame some grief about shot selection and things of that nature. Those all signs that this team isn't together, that there isn't camaraderie and they're not all on the same page. But like I said, these are things that are fixable. You can't continue to blame the coach for even though his shit stinks too. But this is on the players to get correct, like effort, you know, energy and playing where urgency doesn't come from the coach. That comes from the players. Players set that standard. That's something you have to come out and do every single night. Players set that standard, not the coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think you know, first of all, I keep thinking about the guy who signed a ten day two days earlier.
Speaker 6: Was what plays was he running?
Speaker 4: He's just floppy and horns right every time now because he can't even he can't tell me you knew the play calls At that point, I think there's there's on both sides.
Speaker 6: Like Boogie said, On the.
Speaker 4: One hand, no disrespect to young guys or ten day guys or whatever, but you got two All Stars and a guy who finished second or third Defensive Player of the Year voting last year. You got enough to win against a team that's going straight to secaucas for the lottery machine.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: On the other hand, this game, I'll be honest, fans don't understand the need for structure.
Speaker 6: We're never just rolling the ball out and playing pick. There's structure.
Speaker 4: There's got to be systems, how we know how we're defending, who's helping who, Where am I supposed to be when the ball's over there versus when it's over here, right, and then offensively a hierarchy.
Speaker 6: And getting guys going.
Speaker 4: And I think one of the biggest things we've all noticed about the Bucks is you have a great finisher in Giannie, you got a great perimeter player in Dame.
Speaker 6: Why do they never have any action together? Why is it like they're running two different things separate from one another. And I think that comes down to you got to have a system and a playbook in place.
Speaker 4: It doesn't have to be complicated, it doesn't have to be the old Flip Saunders encyclopedia where it's like a thousand pages, but you got to have something so that when we go out there, the guys know, hey, this is what we're doing. Our first option out of this is this, Our second option is this, our third option is this, And if that fails, then Dame makes something happen, or Gianni's makes of that happened. It feels like they get to that fourth emergency object a lot faster than they should.
Speaker 1: Well we'll see. I mean, look, one of the things Doc said about coaching in the All Star Game is you know he was I will give him credit. He has said over and over and over again, Hey, this is Griff's award. I don't see why I'm here. This doesn't make sense. They should have given it to someone else. So I appreciate that he kept saying that, and he said he wanted to use the week. Well, he said he wants to use the week to play golf, but also to be able to sort of, you know, look at the team. You know, he came into the job running and that he wanted to be able to sit down and take the week and look at the team and kind of come up with some of this stuff. So I'm sure he will still do that too. I'm sure he will also still play golf. But it does beg the larger question of, you know, what mobility is there in the East. We have already seen, right Cleveland come up to that number two spot in the East. Take you know, Milwaukee was was really wedged in there, but now Cleveland has come up in there. And by the way, the Sixers also clearly have lost seven of ten going into the break because of the beat injury, and they are definitely trying to make a go of it and be competitive until he gets back, if and when he can come back, but they're not the team that they were, So there is mobility in that Eastern Conference. I want to know who you guys think We've got about a third of this season to go. Who do you guys think is in the position in the Eastern Conference to climb into the standings. With Milwaukee not quite sure who they are and the Sixers obviously having the injury problems they've.
Speaker 5: Had, I mean, the team that sticks out to me just right off top is the Miami Heat. We know for a fact that they're a second half team. They've shown They've shown these patterns over and over again. This is usually the time of year with Jimmy Butler starts to we start seeing the big games from Jimmy. He is going through you know, his personal family issues right now, but I'm sure once he's passed that he gets back to this, gets back to basketball. You know, he'll be locked in, ready to finish out the season that we're accustomed to see seeing from him. So the Miami Heat stick out right away from me on top. With the addition of you know, Terry Rozier, who hasn't quite found his rhythm with this team yet, but I think he was the perfect piece to go along with this team. So we can see this team, you know, make some noise in the second half and definitely move up the rankings.
Speaker 1: Well that Rosier, I mean, I don't know what's going to happen with his injury. They says spring me. It's week to week. I don't know. I mean, if he's out for a long time, obviously that's going to be an issue. But I agree. I mean, they're a potential mover for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And the beauty of Indiana me of Miami, is that they have a next man up mentality, and so there are guys that are not like unaccustomed to being called upon it. Now, Okay, now you're playing major minutes. They're ready and they they've got enough there to keep it going until they can get everyone healthy. But as you can probably tell, the other team I was going to say, is Indiana, and I think you know something.
Speaker 6: They did a really big move by getting.
Speaker 4: Pascal Siakam in there, but it just coincided with Tyre's Halliburton getting hurt, and so they weren't really quite all healthy and all together all at the same time for an extending amount of time. Even when Halliburton came back, he's on a minute restriction and all that. Now, if you had a little bit of a break, he's going to be one hundred percent. I'm excited to see what the Indiana Pacers can do with a full strength roster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I mean I think there's some of that stuffs up for grabs, and seating in the East is going to be important. I know the East doesn't look as stacked as the West in terms of maybe how much of a thicket and competitive going through the early rounds of the playoffs are going to be. But what seating you get is definitely going to be a factor in the East because you don't want to face some of those teams at the bottom, and you know, if you only have to go through one of them to get to the one of the other big sort of boys on the block to get through the conference finals, I think that will make a big difference. I want to look at the West too, though, because guys, the West is insane. I mean, we have had guys bunched, teams bunched, you know, in the top four have basically been been trading places for a while and completely you know, half a game, a point point point oh of a game, you know, different from each other, and then at the bottom too. The Mavericks, who I think were even out of the playing at one point or at the bottom of the play in are now the seventh seed. They've won sixth straight going into All Star. They have the tenth easiest strength of schedule going forward. The Warriors eight of ten that they won going into All Star and had like a weird loss in there too where Klay Thompson kind of has had a brain freeze, so that easily could have been nine out of ten. Los Angeles the Lakers have won six out of seven going into All Stars. So like, you've got you've got teams on the come up and they're getting squeaked. I mean, there's so much going on in there. What do you guys think? I mean, I mean, what's your look going into this?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, I feel bad for Minnesota and Oklahoma City, two young teams that are have been playing great all year long, and their reward is you're gonna have to play one are these teams that comes out of the play and that's not going to be your typical seven or eight seed I'm going to go against. I'm going to go against with the mat, the mat says the Warriors have the easiest scheduled remaining strength to schedule, and obviously I have a lot of respect for everyone there, but I'm gonna go against math and I'm gonna say the Phoenix Suns who have the toughest schedule remaining, but I think they're healthy. And then also the addition of Royce O'Neil. I thought before they did that deal, they had a lot of guys that were masquerading as rotation players that weren't really rotation NBA players. These were guys that were there and playing because they didn't have a whole lot of depth. I think the second half of the season, with everyone healthy and you add Royce O'Neill as another guy who can come off your bench, you can rely on to play some tough defense, to hit some three pointers.
Speaker 6: I think that's going to help them.
Speaker 4: So that's the team that see rising the most in the second half of the season.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna have to land with the Mavericks. I think they made some really really good moves at the deadline. The addition to PJ Washington, the big fella Washington Gaffer. I think Gafford is a more experienced version of the young guy they having Lively, So I think that was a perfect move for them. A lob threat, a guy that can protect the rim, get up and down the floor, you know, his game. Compliments Luke and Kyrie will and to add you know, a stretch forward PJ Washington who shoots it at a very high clip, can put the ball on the floor a little bit, can make plays, you know, for that Dallas offense, and also is another compliment piece to Luca and Kyrie. So I think they made some brilliant moves at the deadline. I think this team will only get better. You know, Kyrie did miss some time, so he'll be getting back into the swing of things. And I think it's just enough amount of time left in the season for this team to really find their strive and you know, going to the playoffs with some confidence.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna roll with the Mavericks.
Speaker 1: Well, they're on a good role. We had a great final kick set up here for some teams. There's gonna be some very competitive games in this final part of the season. I'm psyched about that. All right, it is time for Oh yes, DraftKings, I will take that bet. Let's look at the odds for Defensive Player of the Year. Up on the DraftKings Board, go Bear heavy favorite again to win the award. This would be his fourth time that would tie the great Ben Wallace for the most ever. So He's at minus six point fifty. Jared Allen is at plus one thousand, Wemby's at plus two thousand. Chet is at plus twenty five hundred, So the gap is huge there. Wemby, I just want to point this out. He's leading the league in blocks, He's fourth and defensive rating. So I know Gobert is the heavy favorite. But if you want to put down money that will actually get you money, I don't know if you go with Wemby. The last team with a sub five hundred record to have a Defensive Player of the Year was the Spurs. That was eighty six with Alvin Robertson. But I don't know what, buggy, where would you go? Would you take the bet on Wemby or someone else too? Just is Gobert and that's what it is.
Speaker 3: I'm rolling with Wemby. I'm gonna take the bet on Wemby.
Speaker 5: And the reason I said that is, you know, this is a young up and common superstar for this league. The product is going to be pushed. He's just and not to take away from any of his talent, he's he's that good of a young player that he's even in this conversation as a rookie. Obviously you know the company around him and where the where the team is at, where the team is at at this point the season isn't in favor of him winning, but you can't take away the impact that he brings every night. You can't take away his abilities, and you know, the way he's producing at this young age, like he has to be credited for what he's doing. And I would not be surprised to see, you know, Rookie of the Year Defensive Player of the Year in the same season for Winby. I think he's that good. I think I think he's that talented. I think he ran away with the Rookie of the Year at this you know, at this point in the season.
Speaker 3: So it just makes sense for me. It makes sense for me.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't be I wouldn't be a afraid to say he wins it this year. So that's my choice.
Speaker 3: Rachel.
Speaker 4: You asking me who I think is gonna win it or who I think should win it?
Speaker 1: Because I'm asking you, would you put your money down? Would you put your hard earned cash down on anyone but Rudy Gobert to win DPOY.
Speaker 4: So if it's me betting my money, it's because I'm trying to predict what the voters, of which I am.
Speaker 6: Not one, are going to do.
Speaker 4: And I think they're just going to look at Minnesota is the best team, and they've had the best defense one and two all year long, and their best defensive player is Rudy Gobert, and that's what they're gonna pick.
Speaker 6: Do I agree? No, But I'm not trying to lose money and be right. I'd rather rather maake.
Speaker 1: What do you think if you were voting, what would you what would vote? Who would you vote for?
Speaker 4: Him? On?
Speaker 6: So and I thought about this a boogie before before we started.
Speaker 4: A lot of the names I want to vote for are disqualified because the sixty.
Speaker 6: Five game rules. So Joel Embiid was the name. He's out.
Speaker 4: I can't vote for him. Evan Mobley is a guy, and then we then to Jared Allen. I think Evan Motway has been a bigger force on the defensive end for Cleveland than even Jared Allen has been, but again he doesn't qualify. So now I'm left with guys that I don't know that they're the.
Speaker 6: Best defensive player of the in the league, but I do know.
Speaker 4: They make a massive defensive impact, and kind of like what we talked about before the show Boogie, I know they're gonna be on the floor in clutch times, in a playoff situation.
Speaker 6: They will be out there.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: So the two guys I'm gonna say.
Speaker 4: The two guys I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say Derek White for the Celtics. I think he does an excellent job on the best offensive wing player in the league every single night, and he's able to hold his own offensively as well, which I'm still kind of amazed at what kind of player he's become on the offensive end.
Speaker 6: The other name I'm gonna say.
Speaker 4: And obviously they're going to need to win a lot more, but they also have an elite defense is Bam out of bio. I don't think he gets enough credit for being the center of not just the center and position, but the center of a defense that makes up for a lot of other people's deficiencies out there, and the fact that the heat.
Speaker 6: With all the injuries they've had.
Speaker 4: They think only Memphis has had more games lost injury than Miami this year.
Speaker 6: For them to still be competitive.
Speaker 4: Still be about five hundred and still be a top ten defense, A lot of that is BA out of bio, So you know, what, the hell with it.
Speaker 6: BAM's my pick.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go. I got to get to doom Scroll because you know, here at Bully Bow we keep track of all the socials and all the petty and all the little backs and for us, so you don't have to We just come here every week we will catch you up on how petty everyone is being. And I'm telling you that George Curl and Carmelo Anthony are really laying it down for us on doom Scroll this week. Mellow recently stated on his podcast he was talking to Dwayne Wade. He said a deal was basically done for him to go to the Lakers in twenty eleven. The deal was Mello and Nynae for Odum and by them. He said that George Carl nicked the deal because he did not want Melo to be competing against him George in the Western Conference. So we'll start there. We've got more George Carl and Mellow to come here. But just even on this one trade, I guess, Boogie, how good do you think that Laker team would be? Because I'm not sure that Melo and Kobe would have co existed that great. What do you think?
Speaker 5: I think it could have been something special, especially coming off you know, they were on the downside of you know, winning at that point with Lamar Oldham the big fellow Andrew buying them so kind of bringing in that spark, a younger spark, and I think even more talent. It's hard to sit here and say that team wouldn't have been dangerous impossible.
Speaker 1: I think it would have been dangerous. I just think that Chris Paul possibility is the one to me that was always like man CP and Kobe that fit and all of that. I don't know what, but you think Mellow and Kobe would would have been able to work out who shot win and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: You got two dynamic offensive guys like Mellow and Kobe on the same team. Like it's obviously it's a hypothetical thing because it didn't happen, and I can speak in hypothetical terms. If that does work and they do figure out how to make it work. That's a very, very, very scary team and could possibly result in multiple championships. So I'm kind of sad that it didn't happen because I would have loved to have been able to see that and see how I play it out. But obviously we're speaking hypothetical, so all I can say is I think that would have been a very dangerous team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say that when you involved. First of all, the Lakers are coming off with two championships, so I think Carmelo would walk in, to be honest with you, Rachel, with a level of maybe just take it down a notch in terms of humility, because hey man, you walking into a the team that's been dominating this league, be the best player in the league at that point, and see obviously Phil Jackson at that time has still looked at as a guy who knows how to get the most out of people. I think the triangle offense would have helped Carmelo still get his shots but also kind of play within the flow. We saw him play really well in New York in the triangle at times, so I don't I think doing that with Again, you gotta remember the two bigs would have been Gasol and n Nay.
Speaker 6: Both of those guys are good passers.
Speaker 4: High IQ guys can do the high low thing and then defensively really good moving their feet, so they'd help Carmelo in that way.
Speaker 3: I think, honestly.
Speaker 4: And then the last part is maybe Kobe gets to age a little bit more gracefully as opposed to if you look at that last stage of his career, he was pushing hard, hard, hard because he had no help.
Speaker 6: You got Carmelo. Now it's like I get to.
Speaker 4: Maybe be a little Olympic Kobe to his Olympic mellow, focus on some of other things, elongate my career and we keep winning.
Speaker 6: Now in terms of.
Speaker 4: In terms of George saying no to the deal, Oh man, I'm gonna tell y'all a little story.
Speaker 6: It's a quick story. This thing kills me.
Speaker 4: When I was in Phoenix, we were trying to acquire a player.
Speaker 6: Should I say names? Should I just keep it?
Speaker 1: This has been a lunch time, you can, okay.
Speaker 4: Travis Deaner. Travis Deaner was the point guard that Marquette when Dwayne Wade was there, and he was a decent little guard. He could shoot he pushed tempo or whatever.
Speaker 6: But he was not like a world beater or whatever.
Speaker 4: Travis Deaner was on an expiring contract in Orlando, getting zero burned, zero play. We wanted a backup for Steve. We said that this kid looks like he could run a lot of stuff that we run. Throw him a second round pick, which is a lot for a guy who never plays and is going to leave at the end of the year. Orlando said no. And the reason why I was because they they felt that if they traded Travis Diener to us in our system, he was gonna look great, and then they would look silly for having not played him. And they'd rather not get an extra asset for a guy they have no plans for than to allow him to be successful make them look silly. In the same way for George, you don't like Mello, you don't think he's a winner, you say all these things, So why would you say no to him playing on another team? Why are you so worried that someone else can get more out of him than you could? And that's the part that always kills me in this league. It's like, if you think he's so good, then players ask why are you trying to trade him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, look, the Mellow George Carl thing wasn't good in the moment. It hasn't been in since. It's flared up again over the last couple of weeks, which is sort of unexpected. But last week, Mello was telling a story on his pot about Carl calling him overrated. Poor Deth of shrimp catches strays in that story, I feel bad for him. Carl responds to him on Twitter. He calls Mellow overrated again as a response to the story about him calling Mellow overrated. And then yesterday, Uh, George continued the smoke toward Mellow. He tweeted out a picture of Jokic, he wished him a happy birthday. He called Nikola Jokic the greatest players who ever wear number fifteen in Denver Hoop's history, which we of course know Mellow War fifteen, and then he tagged Mellow in the post. I mean, book you played for George? You you can chime in here.
Speaker 5: Where do I start, Rachel, It's like dealing with a bitter baby mother.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm gonna put it like this.
Speaker 5: We're all you know in this, in this game, in this in this occupation.
Speaker 3: We're all flawed. We have our we have our good qualities, we have our bad qualities.
Speaker 5: So through it all, you of you know, you try to make the best STU, which every player tries, every coach tries. In this situation, you have a Hall of Fame coach. On the other hand, you have a Hall of fame, a first ballot Hall of Fame player. Neither accomplish the ultimate goal. So I'm not really understanding how one can say the other is overrated when y'all both accomplished and didn't accomplish the same exact things, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So that's where it's. Hey, man, just ride off in the.
Speaker 5: Sunset, brother, Like George, you had your career, Like it's over right off in the sunset, like to still be living in the past. Like and it's and it's and it's constantly it's it's like every year it's something he has something to say about somebody right off in the sunset, George, Like you know your time is coming gone. It happens that every player ride off in the sunset, bro. And you know, I wish you nothing but peace and happiness, but it's given bitter and miserable bro, like it really is. And I'm not even you know, I'm not saying these things to start a war with George or anything like that. I mean, i could put my petty boots on the go all day with this dude, but I'm not really interested.
Speaker 3: Like I'm really not.
Speaker 5: And I got plenty stories out I can validate exactly how Melow, There's plenty of that. But George, just ride off in the sunset. Bro, Please please for your family, for your own sake, for your own happiness, just right off in the sunset.
Speaker 3: That's all I got, I'd say.
Speaker 4: I think when we're so far removed from it, like it gets a point where, like Boogie said, who cares, man, just be cool, Like it's okay to say, man, we really.
Speaker 6: Butted heads back then.
Speaker 4: But now we're both done with our careers, we're looking back at it and say, you know what, we accomplished some things. They went to a conference finals, They pushed the Lakers to six games, They won a.
Speaker 6: Bunch of games. Why remember the bad things as opposed to just celebrate and remember the good times?
Speaker 1: Exactly see, and in that note of peace and harmony and love for your fellow man, we will wrap things up today. I'm glad we solve the all star problem. Gentlemen, Thank you for doing that so many other things. I mean, it's always so fun to have you with us. You will be doing that more often throughout the season in the playoffs. And all you friends out there, you can catch all the episodes of Bullyball on the DraftKings Network. That's really fun. All the Smoke Productions YouTube channel of course, and wherever you get your podcasts, please rate, review us, give us those five stars. We will be back next week. Have fun, have a good break, everybody, take some time off me, introduce yourself to your family. Did do whatever you might not do when you are usually spending all night watching basketball games. We'll see you next week when the games start again. Bye bye, gentlemen.